Speaker 1: The guys from paying They've kind of showed me how much the equipment matters. I just love that I can hit any shot I kind of want.
Speaker 2: We're gonna be able to tell some fun stories about what goes on here to help golfers play better golf.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Ping proven Grounds Podcast. I'm Shane Baker and that's Marty Jerts and Marty. We've got another great guest in the tour truck with Taylor Moore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's gonna be fun. Taylor. It's excited to spend a little time together, hear about your journey and talk little gear.
Speaker 1: I want to kind of start with the journey because you're a thirty year old player. You won on the PGA Tour this year for the first time. What was the journey like? How did you kind of handle going through different tours? You had a great amateur career. What was the journey like to the point where you win on the PGA Tour.
Speaker 3: Yes, you know, I spent five years outside the PGA Tour but playing professional golf, and so I feel like I was pretty acclimated to, you know, what professional golf was. And yeah, my senior year at Arkansas. I qualified for the Canadian Tour and had status out there immediately, and then right after our national championship, you know, my year, I went straight up to Canada and got acclimated to what you know, professional golf was. And so that's how Yeah, that's all I got started.
Speaker 1: How was Arkansas out Canada? How was that? How was that switch?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: You're like, where are where?
Speaker 3: Where are we here?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: I was actually we were actually in Eugene, organ and so we're kind of close to my first term. It was in Victoria, British Columbia, so it wasn't too too far to travel. But it was funny. I went up there and wore all my Arkansas gear and you know, playing with professional golfers. It was this college kid, you know, up here trying to get after it. So that was that was pretty fun.
Speaker 1: Did you have a moment during the journey where golf was frustrated and you were thinking, maybe this isn't going to be it, Maybe I'm gonna pursue something else, What else could I do? Was there ever anything like that that float it through the brain.
Speaker 3: I definitely had, you know a couple of peers that come to mind that I was frustrated. I never really allowed myself to, you know, think about what I potentially wanted to do elsewise, you know, or otherwise, and I, yeah, I got injured in nineteen. I was I was kind of a big moment for me, just to get some perspective on life and you know, have some time away from the game. And then we had a two and one you know season during COVID on the corn Ferry and I was about seventy fifth place roughly after the first kind of you know part of it, and was just very frustrated with how I was playing, and you know had to really you know, grab a bull by the horns and redirect a little bit. And uh yeah, teared up to that last season to get out here.
Speaker 2: Did you graduate from Canadian to corn Ferry And then what point in your journey on Canadian did you get your win there?
Speaker 1: I did Median.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I finished third on that money list in Canada, and I went, like I said, straight from Oregon to Victoria and I finished solo second my first event, so it kind of kind of kind of popped me up on the on the money list right there. And that was the second event out of the twelve that we played over the course of the summer, and about halfway through I won in Thunder Bay and so that was a pretty cool week, first professional win. My dad was on the back. He came up to hang out with me for the week, and you know, we happened to win, which was a lot of fun and something that that we definitely remember.
Speaker 2: Was it close or did you how many did you win by? It?
Speaker 3: Go went by two or three? But I was actually I was paired in the final round with another ping pro, Corey Connors, Canadians, So that was kind of that was a cool kind of duel by.
Speaker 1: Three, by the way, I'm telling you, unbelievable.
Speaker 3: It was funny, Like, so I had a couple shot lead obviously on eighteen and uh, hit it in the fairway. My dad's like, what do you think? What do you think? I'm like, driver off the decks, end it up there, like you know, I kind of freaked him out and I'm like, I'm just kidding, I'm gonna lay up. That was pretty funny. He's, uh, he always tells that story. But yeah, that was It was a lot of fun to get my first first win up there.
Speaker 2: And then Corn Ferry Tour. When uh, tell us about that win, because you've knocked off a win on Canadian corn Fairy and then this year.
Speaker 1: Real quick, would you win by in corn Fairy? Let's see? How Yeah?
Speaker 2: What was that?
Speaker 3: I know, I just remember blacking out on Saturday and shooting sixty and then shoot six and then I think sixty six the final round, but maybe two ye by three? Three? Yeah, two, I like to one by three. Yeah. No, that was That was pretty cool. And that was a couple of years into corner. You know, I think I was my fourth season on corn Fairy, hadn't won my previous three, and you know, obviously been close a few times, and you know, kept my card on corn Fair every year. But yeah, that was that was pretty surreal. I was in a really good period of playing golf during that summer, my last year on corn Fairy. You know, I shot twenty seven under to win that week, shot twenty five under the next finished sol the second, you know, which obviously elevated me to you know, pretty high number on the Corn Fairy Tour pointsless so.
Speaker 1: Taylor the mentality of a Corn Fairy Tour player. I don't think casual golf fans quite understand the difference in corn Fairy Tour golf versus PGA Tour golf. When you're out there on the KFT, it's it's a birdy fest. You're trying to shoot as low as possible. You can kind of hit it offline and still get away with it. What was the biggest change for you when you got to the PGA Tour. It just in terms of how you play golf.
Speaker 3: Course management's obviously a lot different, you know out here, just based on course setup and conditions, I feel like, but I was. I was appreciative of the fact that I had to learn how to play that style of golf as well, the aggressive, stay aggresive style. I'm just learning how to make birdies and get comfortable making birdies because you know, there are some weeks out here that are like that. But also out here, you know, driving the volume the fairways of value, missing in correct spots and giving yourself some space is of value. So yeah, I was appreciative, and you know, like I said, there's some weeks out here we got to go low, but definitely gotta gotta play smart out here and a little more conservative at times.
Speaker 2: I find that very interesting. So your your wins, your win on corn Fair was like twenty three hundred, you shot twenty twenty six under, and then you win one of the hardest events relative to par this year at the Valspar. I mean watching the Valspar every year, it's like watching a mat, like the scores like watching a major. You know, usually like single digits under par. I think you shot ten right this year to win by one. So what was it about that course that you know you think suited your game?
Speaker 3: And yeah, I think I think that whole Florida kind of swing, I've like internally feel comfortab because it's on Bermuda. It's a little fa it gets, you know, a little crazy in some spots, like they Hill. There's literally no grass on those greens, zero friction. And actually valls War got a little bit that way as well, and so you know, I think I'm comfortable on that type of grass in that environment. And just with how fast I got, I knew just to give myself some space if I did miss, and you know, try to drive the ball on the fairway and get as many you know, short irons and wedges as possible and had a good week on the greens, you know that we anytime I feel like my game no three putts, you know, no balls in the hat, just little stuff that we always talk about. And I did a really good job of that that week, like.
Speaker 1: The Tiger rules, right, yeah, bogie par five, no three putts, try not to lose a golf ball and if you can kind of check those off a list of ye hanging out.
Speaker 3: All that little stuff adds up, you know, over four days, and I think there's one set that popped up where I didn't miss a pot inside it, you know, seven feet all week, seventy of seventy or something like that, which is like that stuff has to happen sometimes for you to win, right exactly. Yeah, it was cool.
Speaker 1: What would you sign up for, Let's say next year the tour was looking at scheduling all the golf courses that you want to play. Are you looking at twenty five under and you got to go low and get out there and get it, or are you looking more a Valce bar where ten undred has a possibility of winning. What fits your game is better.
Speaker 3: I prefer the harder courses, but I think some of the ones that you you know, can go low, or some fun tracks as well, so I think I'll do a little bit of a balance, you know, if I had, if I had to guess, But it seems like the the way the tour is going, the you know, elevated events and the majors, those are obviously going to be you know, your higher scoring events for the most part.
Speaker 2: So Taylor winning that event in March got you into all the majors right this year. Yeah, so tell us about that you went from playing no major. I mean, this journey is incredible, you know, It's it's.
Speaker 1: Why again, like why following pro golf is so fun because you have the kind of super duper young stars like the Jordan Speeds and you know, I mean obviously see Ricky Fowler pop up and nearly win right out of the gate. But there are so many extremely talented players that do go through this journey like yours, which again I'm sure gives you great perspective in terms of PGA tor golf because you check those boxes on your way to this path.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely, And you know, I think everybody's journey out here is different, right, Like you guys are saying speed, there's some star studded guys coming out of school, especially now, that can come out here and play immediately. And you know, for me, I think personally I needed those years on the corn for you just to learn how to play golf, learn how to be a professional, you know, learn how to score in all different kinds of conditions and tournaments and scenarios. And I think if I potentially would have made the Tour after my first or second year on Cornfery, I don't know if I would have stayed out here just because I wasn't ready. But yeah, it's just it's pretty cool to see.
Speaker 2: To your point, What was it like turning up at Augusta this year?
Speaker 3: It was pretty cool, man, Yeah, it was awesome. I had never been out there. You had a chance to play a ride in you I had a chance to play say I'm.
Speaker 1: Good, which is still crazy to me. I mean, I mean, I Dustin told me he did it one time. Dustin had a chance to play it. I know Colt knows qualified for the Masters because you in the Am and then turned pro at the invite. I mean, there's not a lot of people on this planet, maybe less people that have walked on the Moon that have turned down on Augustina.
Speaker 3: I know, I know, well it had just been a thing for me and my dad. We wanted, you know, our first time out there to be when I qualified, and so obviously some incentive there. But I had a chance, you know, from a member that I met at school at Arkansas, to to go out there and play. And my dad wasn't able to go on the trip. It was just going to be me. So I was like, I appreciate it, but no, Sirah, like, my dad can't go, then I don't, you know, I don't want to break our little little thing we got going. So yeah, that was cool.
Speaker 1: You talked a lot about your dad and he's caddied for you. How's your dad's golf game? Is he who got you into golf?
Speaker 3: He is? Yeah, he got me into the game, and you know, he coached college baseball a little bit high school baseball the end of his career and him and his coaching, but as we go play golf in their in their free time, and I just you know, tagging along and hop in the cart and you know, try to do what they did when I was you know, three, four or five years old, and that's how I got into it. But yeah, he's caddy for me a little bit got me to the game lost following. I think it's hard, you know, for a lot of dads out here to have sons, you know, the PGA Tour, it's hard just being dad because a lot of them were so involved at a young age. So that's been a big, you know, learning curve for him. But yeah, he's uh, yeah, he's good.
Speaker 1: Is he comfortable now being dad?
Speaker 2: Ye?
Speaker 1: Comfortable kind of taking that step away. I mean, if you've got that coaching mind, you're always thinking about coaching, and obviously with your son playing so well and competing, he wants to coach his son. Is he okay now just kind of sitting back cocktail and so and watching golf from the tower.
Speaker 3: He is, he is. And you know, have a younger brother as well, so everybody's out of the house. Everybody's adults, everybody you know, you know, living their own lives, and so yeah, he's uh, he's fully adjusted now and totally content coming out here and uh, you know, getting into player dining and hanging out and being a part of being a part of it. So he's great as well. I don't I don't have to get you a sandwich and doctor Pember at the turn anymore, like I can just go in here and do that.
Speaker 2: So, Taylor, you mentioned baseball, your dad coaching baseball, you were a baseball player. Tell us about your journey like baseball golf, When did the when did.
Speaker 1: The Yeah we heard good, Yeah we heard you like a good really good baseball.
Speaker 3: Yeah I was. I was really good. You know. I quit baseball for my freshman year high school. So I played both pretty parallel, I would say, until about eighth grade, and then I started really you know, picking more and more golf tournaments and kind of the time frame too. When I got into the pen junior program. I was fourteen. Jeff Brown found me when I was in eighth grade. You know, we weren't totally sure if it was legal to get golf equipment because my dad, being a baseball coach, was like, no kids can get sponsored. And you know, in team sports, you can't get free equipment. You can't do anything unless you know the team has all the access to it. But yeah, I played baseball at a high level, you know, through my freshman year and was going to camps in the summer and you know, really trying to figure out what I wanted to do in college.
Speaker 1: And at the next level, what position did you play, Like, what what were you good at in baseball?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I played short and second you know, middle figure, probably the coach's son. It was kind of like, you know, you're required to play that at some point, I feel like, but my dad played center field, and I really enjoyed playing outfield too. That was that was a lot of fun. But yeah, I think it was just naturally more gifted short, short, and second base.
Speaker 1: I was a lefty coming up in East Texas playing baseball, and my coach made me play catcher a little bit as a catcher, which lefties don't play catcher. Yes, so crazy, But me and my buddy, my buddy Russy played first. We'd pick off so many guys that were getting sleepy on first because you could just rifle it down first base. It was always fun. But yeah, having the baseball and the golf thing, I don't know for you, it was really tough for me because the swings are so different. So you're in a batting cage, you're hitting balls baseball wise, and then you go to the driving range. It always took me a little bit of time to adjust. Was that part of the reason you decided to give up baseball.
Speaker 3: You know, I didn't really have that issue. A lot of people maybe would assume, but for me, I just I didn't really have that problem. I was able to, you know, decipher ball being still on a tee and then a ball coming at you and being able to react, and you know, maybe it's just lucky and God given a little bit. But I didn't have, you know, too much of that. I had more rust just from not playing golf right than anything, because I would go, you know, play a baseball tournament over the weekend Thursday through Sunday, and then roll around and play oaklhand junior golf men on Monday morning. He's like, Okay, this is weird, like and I haven't practiced ready. You haven't done anything.
Speaker 2: So, Taylor, you mentioned Jeff brown took care of you starting at age thirteen fourteen. I want to know some of your like favorite pin clubs, whether it's driver, iron, what'd you use those early days? What do you what do you remember about them?
Speaker 3: So I remember my first driver that Brownie got me was a G two eleven and a half degree with a lady's flex in it. Because I was a small kid. That was like literally like maybe five foot one hundred pounds, and he's like, let's get you some loft in a in a cheft that you can whip around and swing as fast as you can. So that was that was pretty cool, just so you know, think about that. Other clubs I love. I love the Rapture V two at a Mitsubishi dmana whiteboarding it and the V two with some with some loft as well. Ten five.
Speaker 1: I think you still have these clubs somewhere, do you think?
Speaker 3: Somewhere at home? Probably probably my parents' house. They have a little they call it the Taylor Golf Shed in the back corner. They got literally all kinds of you know, yeah, for the podcast, we might.
Speaker 2: What about putters? What about putter?
Speaker 3: Redwood D sixty six, Oh nice, Yeah, those are still, in my opinion, some of the best, you know, feeling putters. And you know, obviously the new PLD line with the mild face and stuff is about as close as we've we've gotten to that, which feels, you know, very similar. But yeah, Redwood D sixty six, I'm still I still play the S fifty five irons, so I have to mention those, you know. Oh yeah, Seven eight nine years old and probably no better than you, but yeah I played.
Speaker 1: Have you have you tinkered with some of the new irons and thought about going into them? And why do you kind of stick to the the O g irons that you've had in the bag for a few years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure, I've tried, you know, anything new that comes out, especially now being on tour we have access to right and so I did play the Blueprints for a period of time, you know, on my last year on corn Ferry and when I first got out here on tour, which I love because there's so much playability in the Blueprint irons, you know, not a lot of offset able to work it both ways pretty easy obviously the player profile with the smaller blade, which is awesome, but always gravitated back. I think just naturally being a pink kid, I love to look at a little bit of offset, have a little bit of forgiveness in the long irons, especially you know out here on tour, you know, in that three and four, and I would like a little bit of mass to look at times playing on these firm hard courses.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So our blue our Blueprint S is kind of that marriage of the S from S fifty five with the blueprint and getting some of those soul design properties, you know Areddiction think.
Speaker 3: S Blueprints twenty four. You heard it here first here the iron change.
Speaker 1: You're a guy that likes to move the ball kind of the opposite way of what maybe the modern player does. I know you guys do some waiting in that world as well with your woods. Why do you like to see the ball move that way? And how many players do you play with its still kind of turn the ball over?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm just a naturally drawler right like right to left is what I see in my head, and you know I tend to aim to, you know, that way on the course to play for that. And yeah, it is a little bit odd nowadays, especially for some higher speed players to maybe move it that way, just with the technology and the and the ball being a little bit less spinny than you know it used to be, especially when we're growing up. But yeah, there's still some guys out here that singing it. Guy that comes to mind is Chris Kirt. You know, I played with him a few times and he's he's definitely a drawer. And I think the cool thing about you know, being on tour and you know, just seeing some of the top rank players in the world, is they go both ways with it, right. I mean I played with rom who I believed was a cutter, and I'm just like, man, every ball is going to go left right And we get on a couple of teas with left right win and he draws it back into him, Like, so, why you're a number one of them?
Speaker 2: Yeah? We saw pulled that off with Augusta.
Speaker 3: Yea, yeah, which is pretty cool. So yeah, I just that's just what I see in my head though.
Speaker 1: Joe, who have you fan boyd out to this year getting paired with or playing with where you have to kind of remind yourself that you're a peer of this person you mentioned playing with John Rahm? Who have you played golf alongside on the PGA Tour this season? Where you're like this is this is really sick?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Another you know, really cool guy that I've enjoyed also King Staffers Female getting paired with him a few times. We played a Saturday at Players. We both played really well, made a ton of birdies, which a lot of fun. And then I was paired with him last week at BMW. Yeah, so that was cool. And then played with JT over the week in that Waste management and just in that atmosphere was crazy. Obviously. Yeah, you know, playing with JT. You know you're gonna have some fans anyway, but obviously magnified out there at Waste. Uh, that was really cool and we both played really well and you know, kind of fed off each other a little bit. That was that was fun experience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Taylor. One interesting thing in your bag which has become a little popular out here is a seven would So what's the story, what's the story? How did it start? And uh, what have been some fun, fun and valuable shots you've hit with that? And why is that important an important club out on the PJ Tour.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for me, it started Tahoe last year got the seven wood in the bag. It was more so just for testing. I was kind of looking, you know, either for some height on some long irons and really to feel like the two forty to two fifty gap in my game, just trying to find some consistency in that area because I noticed, like if I drove the ball in the fairway on some par fives, having two three four and in a lot of times, especially at the harder firm or places I wasn't able to hold you know, the green all the time. Yeah, so having some loft and some height and some spin coming into those was huge. And then yeah, really just got comfortable with it off the t as well, and it's been a huge asset to my game long part threes and going into part fives from the fairway.
Speaker 1: What's your process on a Saturday when Arkansas was playing football and you're playing golf, Like, is the phone in the bag or aad? He checked the scores? Like how do you go?
Speaker 3: No, I really tried to put the phone up, especially out here. I don't want to get get in trouble on tour. But it's funny. I'll have a you know. I think at Jackson last year, for example, I asked the walking scores. We had a morning game eleven am kick and I was playing at that time. I was like, hey, guys, like every three or four holes, like I'm gonna come over, like I need I need some updates of the leader. You're like no, like you guys are volunteering. You have a phone out to Keybart, like we need we need a score update every couples.
Speaker 1: Always tough, I mean the phone being away in golf is one of the few places, Marty where the phone actually goes away. Yeah, I feel like, I mean, if you're playing, especially if you're playing tournament golf, I mean, it'll be five hours of I mean you're not checking what's going on in your life, you know exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, falls fall time with football especially, I mean Sunday is fantasy football. Like I remember pulling my phone out after like the second or third hole one time because my fantasy line it wasn't set yet, and I'm like, I have to make sure this is ready to modern professional golf man.
Speaker 1: No messing around, Taylor.
Speaker 2: Let's go. Let's go into the putter a little bit. You mentioned PLD, So what's in the bag right now? And uh and and what have you enjoyed about that PLD process in terms of dialing in uh, the OSLO right yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm going a peel d also for.
Speaker 3: I think the cool thing about the PLD is just the customization factors we're able to have right and and getting the alignment aids the way we want, getting the you know, site lines the way we want, being able to implement whatever kind of hozzle you know, into a head just to you know, be able to optimize and get the ball to roll the way we want every time. And so yeah, I've always loved the feel of a mallet or you know, maybe a mid mallet, smaller mallet for alignment purposes on shorter puts. Its really helped me over the years. But I love the you know, feel of I think every pink kid of an answer to and just a blade and just that you know, that noise and so really trying to mesh those two together is what I've you know, found with the OSLO and especially the PLD line.
Speaker 2: So the acoustics were important to you.
Speaker 3: Yes, acoustics and feel for sure.
Speaker 2: So we we in working on your PLD, we tried did you try to an insert? It's different, Yeah, you know face texture I have.
Speaker 3: I've tried a ton and that's you know, Tony and everybody has been so helpful and just helping me find exactly what I want because I want the ball to come off fast, right yeah, but I also want some noise, and so we've we've played around with insert, We played around with deep milk, played around with flat face. You know, just really trying to get that perfect marriage and what's going to help me, you know, when I teed up Thursday through Sunday, and so it's been it's been a cool process. It's been fun. And you know, from time to time out here, if you go through a couple of cold you know, weeks, you're like, all right, let's let's try something else, let's mix it up, which I'm definitely not scared to do. But I've been. I've been with this also for Style now for over a year, which has been nice to have some consistency for sure.
Speaker 1: Taylor, you talked about being fourteen years old and being approached by paying you kind of fast forward now to being a thirty year old and you can walk in the tour truck and grab a new hat and have your clubs fixed. How wild is it to kind of think back to that, what sixteen years ago, being a kid wondering if you could even be approached by Ping. Now to be able to come through the door and get your clubs fixed and have multiple putter options, I mean, how wild has this journey been?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's pretty surreal, you know when you break it down like that, just to see what Ping has meant, you know, to me and my life and my family and just being able to you know, also be a part of the Ping family, which has been so awesome. And it's, uh yeah, it's been coolder relationships you know that I've been able to have and the people that I've met, and yeah, we thought, we thought Brownie, you know, when I was fourteen, was just a college coach watching some of the older guys in my group. And then next thing, you know, he's talking to my dad on a picnic table after the round. It's like, all right, I guess we're going to Phoenix. We yeah, right, So yeah, I know it's it is pretty cool, and it's you know, obviously a lot of hard work and dedication to to my craft, but also at the same time just that that family kind of atmosphere and love and you know, any any one of these guys on the truck would do anything to help me save a shot when I tee it up right, And so that's been uh yeah, something that obviously remember forever.
Speaker 2: Gonna cut some things on the truck. I was taking a look at your lob wedge, pretty unique, like the grind you have on there, the the you know, amount of camber on the lead edge. Tell us about what are some of the important things for you is one of the I think for the listener out there is like one of the hardest things is like, how do you pick the right grind in your lob wedge? What are some of the shots that you like to hear? Do you open around the greens or not? So, you know, that's such an important thing out here. What it described the process again to the grind that you have.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's massive. You know, obviously some trial and error and to get to the point where're at now, but some really some trial and air too during like tournament situations, it's really hard to simulate a lot of times on the chipping green, perfect lies, you know, yeah, giving yourself a great line in the bunker like I wanted to, you know, try a lot of what we wanted to do in a tournament situation. And yeah, I have a ton of a ton of like material removed from the heel. Yeah I want yeah, I want a ton of your relief so I can lay it open in the bunkers. I can lay it open when I have good lies and not have it dig because I really want the bounce to be exposed as much as possible. And like I'm a pretty neutral chipper. And when I say that, I mean I don't really have a ton of handle lean. So I don't want the leading edge getting in the ground.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: And so I think they roll the lead edge for me quite a bit as well, take some you know, off there, soften it that way. When I, you know, coming in and delivering the club, my handle's pretty neutral, just to really have as much bounce exposed on a square face shot, square face shot, yep, yep. And then when I when it I do go open face to get some height or to try to get a lot of spin. I throw the right hand a ton and so I do not want that thing going to the ground, especially when we're playing bermuda, grass in the grain, you know, things of that nature. I want as much relief as possible. Do you lower the handle on those shots out of the bunker? I do, Yeah, I'm trying to get some height out of the bunker. I go super low, handle, super open, and a ton of right hand throw with some speed and try to try shoot that thing.
Speaker 1: Of all these things are going on in the brain works.
Speaker 2: Awesome of it.
Speaker 3: I'm not like totally sure about you know, a lot of the other guys. Is it a lot of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just a lot of heel relief, and so when you it's kind of has a little bit of the essence of the I two long wedge in the bunker. And one of the things that I too had is a very small surface area. So if you kind of look at the heel section, it's going to like knife into the bunker early, but then you got you still have that angle late.
Speaker 3: It's funny. It's funny you mentioned that. That's maybe why I like it, because when I did get into the game, like we were talking about, you know earlier, my dad got a set of I twos from a pawn shop when he was getting out of college, and so I grew up playing his clubs like I would end the bunker with a I two sandwidge. Oh yeah, so that's how I learned how to hit bunker shots with the I two. And then yeah, actually my Rookie Year also from that same set he got I played a peeing answer to that had gotten that same set from like the late eighties. I used it like my Rookie Year on Corn Faery your ton of Light tape because it was pretty live.
Speaker 1: But you like it, you like the old school quest and I appreciate it. Uh, Taylor, been a big year for you obviously, went on the PGA Tour, making it to the tour championship. Are you a goal guy? Do you write down goals for next year? You kind of lay out what you might think about when you kind of get towards twenty four.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm a goal guide to some extent. You know, I really tried to reframe a little bit how I think about, you know, goals and future stuff. And this has been a big part of highre. A mental performance coach with my last year on Cornferry and her name is Sarah Taylor, and she's helped me out a ton. And you know, goal setting is great for for anybody, but for me personally, we're more so focused on like just being where my feet are okay, and if I can control where I'm as Yeah, just a little bit more present like and weekly stuff like what are the things you want to get done this week? How do you want to you know, budget your time, how do you want to practice? How do you want to you know? And for me that is that's just worked better. But yeah, it's uh, it's really cool, you know, to be beitiously being the Tour Championship I first went on tour, you know, playing all four majors my second year out. Definitely definitely done a lot of cool things and looking forward to what's come.
Speaker 1: How do you budget your time? I mean, you play golf. We always talked about. You play golf for four or five hours a day, and you practice maybe for an hour or two on the front or back end, right, and you have like the full day. Yeah, how do you budget that time as you're traveling week to week? And how do you budge your time to make you stay in the president and not kind of get ahead of yourself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a great question, and you know that's when I'm coming out of college. You don't realize how much time you are going to have. You know, you go from playing a one practice round in three competitive rounds and now you have the whole week to practice before and then you're playing four rounds. And so it's been a little bit of trial and air in that aspect. But you know, I really try to rest and recover as much as possible now too, just with the travel and the amount of tournaments I'm playing. Try to make sure I'm getting eight hours of sleep, a little bit of downtime in the evening. You know. We set up some daily routines for me, which has worked great. So I have an AM and a PM routine, try to get in the gym, get the body. I mean, there's a lot of stuff that goes into it, but we found a pretty good recipe. You know now that that works for me.
Speaker 2: Are you an early morning practice, round player, late afternoon, mid morning variable?
Speaker 3: I would say, I like getting out early if I can. You know, if my schedules, you know, set up to where I can go te off before seven thirty or eight o'clock and get nine holes in. I like to warm up, go play first, and then practice after That to me is like an Idol day. He done it at noon or one would be would be ideal, especially if I can watch football after So that would.
Speaker 1: Be basically just dependent on what's happened. That's kind of Taylor lays out the schedule. We appreciate the time of man. Congrats on a great year, Congrats on the win, Congrats will make it to the tour championship, and we look forward to see him what you do in twenty.
Speaker 3: Four, I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thanks guys keep it up date. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is the Ping Proving Grounds Podcast.