Speaker 1: The US and men's national team took to the pitch in a World Cup game on American soil, and boy it was.
Speaker 2: Worth the way. During the twenty twenty six World Cup, the US men's national team started off with an impressive four to one victory over Paraguay.
Speaker 3: The US men started their World Cup run strong with a goal in the first seven minutes epic, memorable, amazing.
Speaker 1: The largest margin of victory in the World Cup for the US since nineteen thirty, that was when the first World Cup was held.
Speaker 2: It was their inagural game as hosts, and they played spectacularly in front of their fans.
Speaker 4: I'm not an expert when it comes to soccer or anything, but I just watched Team USA and the World Cup absolutely destroyed Paraguay.
Speaker 5: Is the USA good at soccer now?
Speaker 2: They made it out of their group in first place, won the first knockout match, and as they've done so in previous World Cups, they qualified for the round of sixteen. But then Belgium came and they were eliminated in a humiliating four to one defeat.
Speaker 1: It was a heartbreaking in to Team USA's World Cup journey as fans watched their team fall to Belgium four to one in the round of sixteen Monday.
Speaker 2: Night, and the press, the fans, everybody had an opinion.
Speaker 3: So happy that we're in top sixteen, but then we could have done way better.
Speaker 5: I don't know what happened.
Speaker 6: We just gave up.
Speaker 3: This team was down in the game, and he never felt like they were gonna come back. It's almost as if they were just accepting the fact that, you know what, it just isn't our night and we're just gonna move on.
Speaker 2: No, no, don't accept it. Fight it.
Speaker 3: They just looked outclassed and outstaged, if you will. It was too much pressure for him.
Speaker 2: That last voice is Daniel Wetzel. He's a senior writer at ESPN, where he covers all sorts of sports, including soccer.
Speaker 3: The Americans kind of shrunk in the big game where you watched other teams that weren't as good lose Mexico, Egypt, but they fought superior opponents, you know, extremely hard, and that wasn't there in the Americans.
Speaker 2: And after the high of winning and the low of getting eliminated, people like Dan are reckoning with a post mortem on the men's team and trying to make sense of what happened.
Speaker 3: In a lot of both technical and tactical ways. It's an improved team over the last twenty years, but at the end of the day, the result is the same.
Speaker 2: From Futuro Studios, I'm Fernando Chavarri and this is our last episode of American Football, a show about soccer culture in the US and its underdog roots. So today we're going to look into the questions that many Americans have asked at the end of previous World Cups.
Speaker 4: What will it take for.
Speaker 2: The US to compete with the elite teams in the future. What needs to change to take US and soccer to the next level. For Dan at ESPN and many other experts, part of the problem stems from the way that youth development is run in this country, starting with amateur leagues.
Speaker 3: The developmental system in the United States is fundamentally different than every other country. The US system. The players that are in it, generally speaking, are from a socioeconomic background middle class to wealthy, and they also geographically live in the suburban rings around major cities. They get the best training, the best resources put into them, the best pitches and fields, and the most attention and basically the United States, which has three hundred and forty million people, so there's still plenty of people to create good teams, but they are ignoring all of the talent that exists inside of the major cities or in the rural parts of the country.
Speaker 2: The system Dan is referring to is also known as pay to play. It essentially means families have to dish out hundreds or thousands of dollars every year so that their kids can play at amateur leagues or club teams. This ultimately translates into more visibility for a chance to get a college scholarship or to pursue a professional career. Now we're talking specifically about the men's site here, So once players turn thirteen, the most talented teenage boys could be invited to join an academy run by Major League Soccer or by one of the pro league teams. So to play at the highest level in amateur club teams, parents need to be able to afford what is known as travel soccer so that they can attend the tournaments happening throughout the year.
Speaker 3: You have to have the money to travel to games.
Speaker 2: Besides covering this issue for ESPN, Dan raised two girls who played travel soccer, so he knows what it's like to be one of those parents bouncing around from one tournament to another and spending lots of money.
Speaker 3: You have to have parents who are able to drive you to practices, drive you to out of town games, and so that we just cut out a huge portion of our country that doesn't have access to soccer and instead will play a different type of sport.
Speaker 2: To be fair, there are parents in other countries who also pay for their kids to play soccer, but the costs here in the United States are far greater. And I should also mention that here in the US, youth basketball, football, or baseball can also get pretty costly for parents. They're all part of what experts see as an unregulated amateur sports landscape. But unlike these other popular sports dominated by the US, the pay to play model with youth soccer becomes a problem because soccer is a global sport. The US is competing with players from other countries, and it lags behind Europe and Latin America, where youth development is cheaper, often subsidized by the government or professional teams, and frankly more effective. And Dan says that the impact of the current pay to play. System doesn't stop.
Speaker 3: There when you are paying a coach a club. Right when I'm paying the relationship between a coach and a player is no longer mentor and mentee coach player. It's coach to customer. I'm paying your salary, I'm paying your club to exist. How hard can you really coach me? How hard can you teach me? Particularly mentally?
Speaker 2: Dan says, this all business approach to youth soccer kind of gets in the way of real player development.
Speaker 3: The clubs as a business succeed by winning, and to win at age nine to ten, you sometimes have to play the kid that grew faster and is stronger or faster at the time, and you're just kicking through balls and this one kid is running down the field and they're running in and scoring, and we win the tournament and it seems like we have the best development. That kid may not really have any potential. There's another kid that you can see maybe at eight nine and go, that kid's got fision or his technical skills really look like they could be something else. But you can't play him because well, he hasn't grown yet. And so that kid kind of gets pushed down because the motivation of the club is to win, so the pressure to win at eight, nine to ten overrides coaching, development and really playing the kids that have the long term future. So there's a disconnect between are we creating the best players in the country so that we can develop pros and World Cup champions or are we just trying to make the most money this year.
Speaker 2: See in places like Europe and Latin America, promising young players not only get access to academies without the financial burden parents have here in the US, but they also get better physical, technical, and character focused development starting at a young age. Dan says that also the US doesn't have as many professional teams in every small town or even in larger cities, so the for profit amateur clubs here end up filling that gap. And we know that while European or Latin American systems are imperfect, I mean they do sell star players to bigger teams for profit, at least they ensure that more youth with potential have proper development and visibility.
Speaker 3: In terms of developing great players, I don't believe there's a lot of talent just going through the net in Argentina, let alone Germany and England and France.
Speaker 2: That's also why Dan thinks that despite having a population of three hundred and forty million people, the US is still importing so much of its talent. Den isn't the only one out there the alarm about the current pay to play system. Many others have been doing so for years, like former US national team star Landon Donovan, who said this during an interview with CNBC Sport.
Speaker 5: It's a complete disaster. It is greedy, it is winning first. The players are the last thing on anyone's mind. The kids. It's really disgusting. I've now seen it twice with my own kids. I've always been passionate about it, but it's really triggered me and that will be my next frontier and moving quickly on, meaning how do we build a league that's not so obsessed with winning at such a young age, not a league, a sport.
Speaker 2: Completely Restructuring youth soccer in the US is a huge undertaking, especially when so many people depend on it to make a living or a big profit. But according to experts, it has to start somewhere and soon.
Speaker 3: I think if there could be a clear path to development and extend more opportunities into the city more into the rural areas, try to make it a little more affordable, and just try to take away some of the confusion. So there's a lot of work to do. The US has certain benefits, got a ton of money, it's got a ton of people, and it's a nation of immigrants. So the US is going to keep getting better, almost by accident.
Speaker 2: After the break, an insider's perspective about the current state of US youth soccer development. I speak with Alfonso Mondelo. He's the Technical Director of Competition for Major League Soccer, and we look into what the MLS is doing to help take US men's soccer to the next level internationally.
Speaker 6: I think we're seeing because young as four and five beginning to play. So perhaps the big difference is the culture. You know, in other countries, you breathe, you live soccer more.
Speaker 2: When we come back, we're back with American Football am Fernando Chavarri. Let's get into where US men's soccer stands today and the role that Major League Soccer plays in developing young players. To talk about this, I sat down with Alfonso Mandelo. He's the Technical director of Competition from Major League Soccer. He's originally from Spain, but he has spent most of his life playing and coaching here in the US, and he has more than two decades of experience as an insider working with MLS. Before we start talking about this summer's World Cup, I'm curious, what would you say is different that you've seen between US born players and players the rest of the world. I'm talking younger kids who are not at the professional level yet, but who are seeing soccer as a possibility.
Speaker 6: I think the big difference is in most of the countries around the world, soccer has been the predominant sport, and when a young kid begins to take his first steps and kicks the first ball and he sees the first professional game, they dream about being professional. I don't think that that was the case in the early pace of youth playing here in the United States, where soccer was being seen as a way to get a college scholarship. Kids played and the parents invested in the kids' soccer education with the hopes that they would obtain a college scholarship.
Speaker 2: Since the US was eliminated from the twenty twenty six World Cup after a four to one defeat to Belgium, many people who care about the US national team have been trying to sort of understand why the US maybe didn't go farther as a host country, and especially because they started out strong. So what is your take on the u U performance this summer?
Speaker 6: Well, the early rounds of the tournaments, particularly the first game, it was probably the best that we've seen a US national team play. Everything seemed to have come together, the players, the style of play, and there was a groundswell and a following for the US team, and that continued until the game against Belgium. But also in a tournament like this, you can't have a bad day, and a bad day your opponents punish you, and I think that that's what happened with the game against Belgium. It was a shadow of the way that the team had played in the previous matches, and when you try to react and you're done by a couple of goals, it becomes very difficult. So overall, I think is positive, but I think we all expected the US team to go a little bit further. So what began really well in a little bit of disappointment towards the end.
Speaker 2: I know people love to talk about what could have been done differently, or question why the US struggles when they face somebody like Belgium or France in Spain, which, to be frank a lot of people were shaking our boots went faced with those teams and what their history represents. Where do you think the US national team stands today in international soccer in general?
Speaker 6: The last few years, I think the US team has improved quite a bit, given the fact that most of the players are now playing in top of the leagues around the world. We have players that are playing in Champions League caliber teams, so they're gaining that type of experience that they're bringing together when they come to the national team. So that gap has clearly narrowed, but we still have a bits to go.
Speaker 2: Where does MLS stand today if we were to compare them to leagues in Europe and Latin America?
Speaker 6: Wow, I think MLS has been an unbelievable success story. I mean, when you think about it, we're thirty one years into this league. When the league started in nineteen ninety six, we began with ten teams. There was number one soccer specific stadium in the United States. And now we're looking thirty one years later and we have thirty teams. Across North America, United States and Canada, where there's in about twenty six stadiums that are soccer specific. Clearly, the goal right now is to become the best league in Concacat in our region. And we certainly have the older brother in Mexico that has been there for a long time, and there has been a well established league and very successful league. But I do think that the gap has narrowed. The quality of our league becomes stronger with every passing year. So it's a really a league that's on the rise, and I would say at this point now it's got to be among the top ten leagues in the world.
Speaker 2: You started talking about seeing so many different young players come up the ranks throughout the decades that you've been involved with soccer in the United States. But you know, some of the criticism that we've heard is that there need to be some changes to the pipeline in the United States when we talk about the future of soccer here. So what role do you think that Major League Soccer, the MLS and other leagues play in sort of maybe taking this to the next level.
Speaker 6: The one positive step is that for now for the MLS clubs is no longer pay to play, So players that are being selected into the academy so of MLS. Now, these are players who really are being focused and being groomed to be future professionals. Clearly, not everyone can be a professional, and there will still be players that will end up going through the college pathway. But I think it's important that when you have the top level talent available in an environment where they're competing day in and day out, and they're being pushed towards that goal of becoming top level professionals, this is where we're going to see the next wave of American players continue to improve.
Speaker 2: And just because I'm not in the weed so much the pay to play you're saying it's being addressed now, it's been sort of addressed already. Is it in the works? What's the current state of that.
Speaker 6: No, I think that's a very difficult subject to tackle. I think that pay to play is here, and I don't think it's going on go away. I think that there are a lot of people who are living off of soccer. Parents still want to invest the soccer education of their children. The country is so vast that not everyone can have access to a MLS club, so it will continue. What we hope is that this would become a final and the filtering of those top level players that can get moved on quicker and quicker into programs that will help them to be identified as potential players and then be in an environment that will help them to grow. This is a major major issue for US Soccer. MLS can only do their part by continuing to develop those players and continuing to improve the quality of our game. And there's a separation between US Soccer Federation and MLS. The US the Federation looks out for the good of the game as a whole, and MLS is looking to develop players for the highest level.
Speaker 2: Can you tell me a little more about the MLS academies?
Speaker 6: Sure, the academies. When the league started, none of the MLS club had a player development initiative in place. And it's been probably the last fourteen to fifteen years where there's been an investment made into giving North American players a place to develop as professionals. So since then, now most of our clubs are going as young as you twelve and you thirteens, So there is a whole pathway of going from a young player who's dreaming about being a player into becoming a pro. The last step that has been taken by MLS I think four years ago where we created MLS Next Pro and this is a chance for the clubs to have a second team, sort of a reserve team where the young players that are coming out from the academy have that final step to become a profession. The goal is in the near future to have the North American players become the main stage and then continually to bring the top starts from the rest of the world.
Speaker 2: And how early are these efforts starting age wise?
Speaker 6: I think we're seeing because young at four and five beginning to play. But perhaps the big difference is the culture. You know, in other countries, you breathe, you live soccer, Your parents talk about soccer at home, you see soccer on TV. You really don't get away from it. And here there's still other sports. There's other distractions in soccer. Especially at the youngest level, it's in activity. They go to soccer on Tuesdays and then they go to piano lessons and they go to baseball and they play other sports. Perhaps that, but when it gets to like the ten, eleven and twelve years of age, those kids in other countries are really full time focus on soccer, and this is what they do. They train with their teams. When they're not training with their teams, they're going off and playing with their friends, and soccer is really first and foremost, and I think the emphasis on developing their technical and tactical abilities are much more enhands and focused at a younger age than perhaps we're doing here, and that certainly could be a drawback.
Speaker 2: After the break, winning versus real development.
Speaker 6: So you're winning, but are you developing anybody there more?
Speaker 2: When we come back, we're back with American Football. Am Fernande Chavarri. Let's wrap up my conversation with Alfonso Mandelo, technical director of Competition from Major League Soccer. At this point in our interview, I wanted to ask him about something that former US soccer star Landon Donovan had brought up his point about the win now culture and the pressure that puts on youth. You know, I want to ask you about something that Donovan has brought up about the win now culture or the pressure on youth and emphasis on winning.
Speaker 5: My next frontier. This will be by far the most important thing I do in this sport is tackling youth soccer. It's very clear for me how you fix this, but nobody's done it because the incentive structure is backwards and winning is what's rewarded for the coaches, for the players, for the parents, for the club, and we need to change that. And by the way, it's not a coincidence that we're not producing world class players the way other countries are.
Speaker 2: When I first sort of thought about this, I was like, well, doesn't everyone want to win? Doesn't the coach in the team in what hear to Mexico want to push for the same thing. So it's not really just a US problem. But how relevant do you think this is in terms of the future of the US.
Speaker 6: Winning is part of competing, and I think anybody who steps on the field wants to win. Yeah, but it's how you win. Are you winning developing players or are you just winning to win the title where you know you have a big, strong kid in the front, you kick the a and the big kid scores a lot of goals. Yeah, so you're winning, but are you developing anybody there? And I think that the difference with the top clubs in Mexico or Spain or Holland or Germany or whatever. They're looking to win playing well developing players that will have a future that will be well rounded. But I think sometimes winning at the lower ages can mask a lot of things in hide the deficiencies that some of these players are having in the development.
Speaker 2: This really is giving me so much pause. I have a young kid thinking about when they go into sports like this, how much of that is seen on like a Saturday to Saturday game.
Speaker 6: You know. Yeah. Unfortunately, sometimes, especially at the younger age groups, winning is more important for the parents than for the kids, and the pressure that those parents are putting the kids to win, but not to do things right. So I think that that's major step that has to be overcome. Parents are parents, and they always want the best for their kids, but sometimes there's too much pressure and not enough worry on are they developing, are they growing? Are they getting better? Are they in an environment that's really helping them to become better? Unfortunately, what we see sometimes in American soccer what we call the flavor of the week. They go from one team to the other because this team is recruiting better players, but they think that this is the better environment from them, and they bounce from one club to another, or one coach to another without really worrying about how the player is developing. Are the right steps being followed to develop the player into a complete, well rounded athlete. That's a major REACHIOND that has to be overcome.
Speaker 2: As somebody who has never coached one single game of football in my life, it makes sense that you want to start with the youth to sort of grow a new generation of talent. But besides development, what do you see as the big need moving forward to get you as soccer to the.
Speaker 6: Next level culture? The culture of the sport has to continue to grow, and the players are playing with pressure all the time, so that pressure becomes normal and becomes something that you deal with. So first developing the technical, the tactical, learning the game, but then learning to deal with external pressures. Still we don't have that in this country from a very young age. So that also forges a mental fortitude and attitude that our players still need in this country. Since the arrival of Major League Soccer and the creation of soccer academies, I think now young players who dream of being professionals have a pathway. Now the thought of being professionals is becoming on a par like what it is in the rest of the world, with kids wanting to some day fulfill their dreams.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for your time, my pleasure. It was really wonderful speaking with you.
Speaker 6: Thank you for.
Speaker 2: While the pay to play system and youth soccer may not be the only thing keeping the US men's national team from getting far at World Cups, it's clearly something that demands more attention. True, this revamping youth development in the US is a monumental task and it will take time. But whether it means sports analysts sounding the alarm or the MLS creating more academies, the hopeful part is people are talking about it and trying to change things. And I think that after the summer, more Americans than ever before will be anxiously waiting for four more years until their next shot at World Cup.
Speaker 4: Glory.
Speaker 2: American Football is produced by Futuro Studios in collaboration with Iheart's Michael Dura podcast network I'm Your host Fernande Charvari. Episode was produced by Andrescavadero with additional production by Levi Sharp. Rebecca Evarra is our senior editor, fact checking by Roxanna Guire, mixing by Brandon Krugel at Multitude Productions. Legal review by Jonathan Fisher at Fisher Legal Arts. Victoria Strada is our production manager. Our executive producers are Marlon Bishop and Maria Garcia at Futuro Studios. Executive producers at iHeart are Leo Gomes and Arlene Santana. Futuro Media was founded by Maria no Josa. This is our last episode in the series, but if you want to go back and listen to others, you can find us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you get your shows. Thanks for listening.