Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This he's Talking Cowboys Screaming live.
Speaker 1: From the Dallas Cowboys World Course at the Star in Frisco, SAT And now your hosts Isaiah Standback, Nick Harris, John Mashoda and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 4: It's a Talking Tuesday edition of Talking Cowboys, presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, live from the Star in Frisco, Texas.
Speaker 2: And the s WBC studios.
Speaker 4: Welcome in everybody, as we take a look back on what was the twenty twenty four season, and we are taking your phone calls and your text messages. Today we're gonna talk to the fans. I feel like it's been a minute. It's been a little bit since we've gotten to hear from the fans, hear their take, and we've got some good news and notes to hit on this first segment as well.
Speaker 2: But give us a call if you want to be a part of the show.
Speaker 4: Eight eight eight eight by five two two ninety seven, or give us a text eight one seven two nine zero three two ninety eight.
Speaker 2: The scope is pretty broad.
Speaker 4: You can talk about a little bit of anything at this point where we're gonna start with Mike Zimmer officially officially being named the defensive coordinator for the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they agreed to terms yesterday, initially chosen on Thursday. It looked like that was some back and forth. I don't really want to buy into it, to be honest. I mean, of Jones's in the front office were in Vegas and were their contract negotiations. Yes, but I don't think there was anything that concerned anybody in this building as far as the deal not getting done. So it gets done yesterday afternoon around three pm or so, and now we're looking forward as Mike Zimmer is a new DC comes back to Dallas after seven seasons from two thousand to two thousand and six. We talked about many, many possibilities last week, and I think Zimmer over over and beyond was probably the consensus pick. I know some of us may have had different number ones, some of us, some of them, some of us may have had different number ones, but I think if you had told all four of us, I don't.
Speaker 6: Think he was that close.
Speaker 4: I don't believe a word the schefter said in this entire process. He was so off every time. If you get a name, whoever, his source was, name Isaiah. Isaiah was schefter. That's exactly what it was.
Speaker 6: I don't have any answer if he had to be down to the last two coaches, who was it.
Speaker 5: If it came down to the last two Mike Zimmer and Aiden Dirty? Yeah, I think it was Aiden Dirty. Yes, I can say that confidently. Aiden Dirty made a big impression during his interviews, and I mean he was on the edge for the Seahawks DC position. And you see how quick that developed as soon as Mike Zimmer was announced on Thursday night. I mean we're talking Friday morning, eleven am. Seahawks DC is when he was getting announced. That's still not finalized, so you know, kind of wait on that for this week. But Aiden Dirty oppressed a lot of people in the verse, and it seems like he has a lot to bring from a scheme standpoint as well. So, but as far as Mike Zimmer, I think it's an interesting guy to bring into the building. We talked about kind of needing, for lack of a better term, needing a hard ass a little bit on the defensive side of the ball, and I think you had that with Mike Zimmer. Granted he's been out of coaching for the last three years, but I think this is an interesting possibility as far as being able to bring a guy who has veteran experience. He has succeeded and coached in so many different eras. I mean, we're talking nineties, twenty twenty tens with different type of talent. I mean, this is a guy who has coached Deon Sanders and has had Justin Jefferson on his team. I mean, look at the spam there and being able to be with those guys, and now he comes into this defense with all these all pros in the secondary. You know you're gonna be able to work with these guys, and then what do you do up front? I think that's gonna be the biggest question, which I kind of have a couple of interesting things that I think they could do, but we'll we'll talk about throughout the show. But it's an interesting hire. I like the hire. He works well with Mike McCarthy. You can't find one big negative in my book.
Speaker 6: What are your thoughts?
Speaker 7: I think he is a obviously approven coach in his league. My concerns remain the same in regards to his ability to relate to this generation of player and his ability to relate to the type of players that are on this roster currently. There's obviously going to be additions, but your core members are still your core members, and I'm not sure.
Speaker 6: I'm not confident. I'll put it that way.
Speaker 7: I am not confident currently based upon what I know about him and what I've seen from him.
Speaker 6: As a coach over all these years.
Speaker 7: We have all this documentation to be able to go back and look at players that I know who have played underneath him, who know him very well. I'm not sure that that coaching style is going to work, but we'll find out soon enough. I don't have any concerns about his capabilities as the defensive coordinator.
Speaker 6: I don't have any concerns about that.
Speaker 7: My concerns are solely on his ability to relate and communicate at a level that's going to produce productivity on the field and for these guys to want to come to work. One of the things that I you know, I don't want to throw shade. I just go off of history. I'm a facts guy. Look at how coach McCarthy handled the COVID situation. Look at how he handled the COVID situation with his teams, and I think that was something that was kind of glaring for me as well, in terms of him and being able to communicate on that level with his players, not throwing players under the bus, things of that nature.
Speaker 6: Those are concerns of mine that I have in regards to him.
Speaker 5: Well, whether it works or not, and obviously you need it to work, it's a one year trial deal with this basically, this coaching staff. But regardless of that, whether it works or not, could you argue that this defense kind of needs that coaching style.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, they need a more they need more discipline in that regards, They need somebody to kick him in there.
Speaker 6: But whether or not they can.
Speaker 7: Receive it, right, I like that coaching style that works for me, right, But I played in a totally different era to your point. Right, you know the guys that you mentioned in the past that worked with them, right, the more recent guys he ended up not being there, right because you know, Jessin Jefferson and things and guys of that nature didn't work out too well for him. So, yes, he can. He's done well historically with those type of players, but now this new age. That's where the challenge is.
Speaker 4: You've talked about it before, though there were coaches that were on this coaching staff in the past, whether it was offense or defense, that spoke the truth that were at that level of But we're personal coaching staff.
Speaker 2: That doesn't mean Zimmer can't be personally.
Speaker 6: I didn't say he can't.
Speaker 7: I'm just saying his his his work that we have to go off of up to date. And I guess again, the players that I personally know that I've talked to who who have played for him, Yeah, that's an area of concern.
Speaker 8: Every time, every player of them.
Speaker 6: I think.
Speaker 8: No, I was just asking again because I wonder what the pool is there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I also look at it from an express staple.
Speaker 6: Right, didn't would he express some of that? And one of his interviews recently.
Speaker 4: I think a lot of people have expressed a lot of things of the last week. I feel like everybody has talked and by that I mean everybody that ever wore a star on the side of their helmet has said something this week. Emmitt, Troy Michael, I mean so cry I just want that to be clear.
Speaker 7: I don't have concerns about his ability to perform and put out a good product on the field. I have zero concerns about that. Sure, it's this, can he get the most out of his players? And that in order to get the most out of your players, you have to be able to connect with those guys, and you have to be able to know what buttons to push, You have to know how far you can go. You got to be able to be able to have a relationship with them. Right as much as you are a coach and a director, you still got to be able to have a relationship with these guys.
Speaker 6: It's just a new age.
Speaker 8: Man that doesn't that kind of play into performing though.
Speaker 5: If you have to do that and connect with your guys off the field and get the most out of them, that that goes into being able to perform. If you have no concerns about him being able to perform. How does that kind of every side with it.
Speaker 7: I'm just I would like to say that, But you're seeing this, You're seeing it change, Like, how many coaches in this league have been successful with that style?
Speaker 6: How many of us are left? Honestly, I feel like that's.
Speaker 5: Not because I can't think of any right now. I can't think of any coaches.
Speaker 7: No, no, No, Tom Tomlin is the only one that I could point out and say he has consistently been successful regardless of the type of generation with that.
Speaker 6: Style of coaching.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but not everybody is Sean McVay and Mike McDaniel. I mean, I get it, they've I'm just saying what the hard asses across the league that we don't even know of.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, I'm just saying seemingly what the league is kind of gravitating towards.
Speaker 6: And I don't think it's happening by chance.
Speaker 4: You think it's because of a generational absolutely in thought process.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, I get it.
Speaker 2: But x's and o's wise too.
Speaker 4: You're looking at Zimmer and you're saying, beast, he might be one of the best fits. I mean, you talk about sim pressures, which for those that don't know sim pressure, and I looked up the definition just so that way I get it right. Pressure that brings a non traditional rusher like a lineback or defensive back in exchange for dropping a traditional rusher. There were times when dan Quinn blitz zone blitz.
Speaker 6: Yes, there are.
Speaker 2: Times when dan Quinn ran that a lot.
Speaker 4: Mike Zimmer was one of the original guys that brought the SIM rush and brought it the sim pressure to the forefront. Now he has a defense that he could certainly run that with. He's gonna need beef in the middle.
Speaker 6: He's gonna need bigger guy.
Speaker 2: He's gonna need beef in the linebacker corps.
Speaker 6: But we knew that already.
Speaker 4: That was the case, even if it was Zimmer, if it was Ryan, if it was dirty It, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: Correct, you needed that regardless.
Speaker 4: But now, whenever you look at what he brings to the table, are you excited about the x's and o's factor of what he could bring.
Speaker 7: If they can get the personnel to match it. I'm excited if they can get the personnel right now with the person that is currently on this roster, there's gonna be a ton of turnover.
Speaker 5: I had somebody asked me on Twitter yesterday, Hey, with mikeh with Mike Zimmer being finalized, what do you think Tovandre sweat out of Texas big defensive tackle?
Speaker 8: You think he's a big time target now?
Speaker 5: And I was like, Mike Zimmer, Hans Zimmer, it doesn't matter whoever that coordinator. You knew as much talent down that spine of that defense as possible. You need defensive tackle, linebacker, and arguably safety as well. You need big guys down the middle of that defense. It doesn't matter if defensive coordinator.
Speaker 7: Guys who have been valued in this building to date won't be valued as much some of them.
Speaker 2: You don't want to say names.
Speaker 7: I don't want to say names, yeah, because I don't like putting restrictions on guys.
Speaker 6: But I'm saying based.
Speaker 7: Upon what this, this style of defense, right, this scheme is going to ask of players. Some players physically will not be able to execute what he's asking them to do because of their size.
Speaker 5: Well kind of think of it as well, though, Think of the past three spots that Mike zimmer has been in. It was expected that there was going to be longevity at each of those three spots, and that's what he got at each of those three spots. How different could his philosophy be coming into Dallas on a one year deal, not really knowing what beyond twenty twenty four looks like, and trying to succeed this year?
Speaker 8: Is it more so?
Speaker 5: Hey, these are the pieces you got, These are our draft possibilities, these are our free agent possibilities. You know, you can kind of work with us at this but this is what you got, and you got to be able to work with the guys.
Speaker 6: I don't think there.
Speaker 7: I don't think that the Joneses are going to ask him to come in and be somebody different than what he's been. That's I'm not saying that he can't be, but I don't think this is the year.
Speaker 4: If he made that decision on his own, very much so, but I don't been sitting on the curb for a little bit of a week on the current opportunity.
Speaker 7: But also, if we're going to bring up all the success that he's had, you can't go and say all of a sudden change that now because of the person that.
Speaker 2: That just completely discounting.
Speaker 7: You can't like you have to say, Okay, this is what you've done, this is where you've been successful. Successful, Let's do our best to try to make sure that we have that personnel on the staff so that you can continue that.
Speaker 4: Is it realistic to have expectations for Zimmer at the level that the expectations were set for Dan Quinn? Is is that realistic from a fan base standpoint? Or can you expect maybe a little bit of a drop.
Speaker 8: I can't even think back to the expectations for dan Quinn.
Speaker 4: I think I would understand, like, if let's say, if dan Quinn stayed, dan Quinn is going into twenty twenty four, would the expectations be higher for this defense or lower.
Speaker 2: Based off of or equal based off of who the defensive coordinate is.
Speaker 6: I'll have to say higher.
Speaker 7: You think dan Quinn would be higher because I would say that you're you're asking him to build upon what he's already shown you that he's capable of doing completely, looking for him to put in a couple more pieces that they're gonna shure up some of the holes that you have.
Speaker 6: Zimmer. Now you're you're being.
Speaker 7: You have to account for grace, right, You have to account for grace now. Yeah, and you wouldn't have had that grace had you retained dan Quinn because there's a level of expectation from what you've already seen. Now you have to grant grace. You have to allow yourself to rescind a little bit you have. You have to because you're asking this dude to come in and work with what you have now Again, Will McLay, the Jones they're gonna do what they can to get these get pieces moved around to get his personnelity here. But again, there's gonna be a culture change, There's gonna be a personnel change, there's gonna be a scheme change. Like there's a lot that has to change, and people need to understand how much goes into a decordinator or offensive coordinator or especially games coordinator changing, Like they are literally changing the way that you do things. They're changing the terminology, they're changing the expectations, everything that you've learned. If you've been on this roster for a number of years, you have to literally push the delete button to.
Speaker 8: Those same points.
Speaker 5: This past season under dan Quinn's defense fifth and total defense fifth, in points allowed fifth and passing yards allowed sixteenth, and rushing yards allowed. So I guess if you're dan Quinn going into twenty twenty four, you need to be top five in all those categories, most certainly rushed defense. But for Mike Zimmer coming in, I think there's an expectation that the passing defense stays the same, the scoring defense stays relatively the same. You got to figure out what to do from a rushing defense standpoint and This is kind of something that I've been thinking about as far as what he can do with his staff. Most likely going to have to replace a defensive line coach, and then he has another assistant that he could fill with the absence of Joe Witt going to the Washington Commanders as a defensive coordinator. Now, Joe Witt was a pass game coordinator, secondary coach. What do you guys think about potential bringing in a pass rush specialist instead of another secondary coach. Bringing a guy like what Brandon Jordan was for the Seattle Seahawks this past season and kind of being able to elevate Boye Mafe and what they were able to do from a pass rushing standpoint, it really helped the Sea I think the Washington exactly, and I think there's something you can really learn from that for the Cowboys being able to bring in a different defensive staffer up front instead of back in the secondary, because I think you trust mostly what's happening in the secondary. I think it's really that front seven you want to focus on. I think that could benefit them a lot more well.
Speaker 4: And it would also that would help you in the run game to a certain extent, not because it's a pass rush, but just because it gives you more flexibility there from those guys. And it's not always about unlocking what Micah Parsons can do, because Michael Parsons is still going to bring it regardless, but it will unlock what guys like Sam Williams who's underachieved, could do. If you bring back Dorian's armstrong, it could continue him moving forward. Yes, I like the idea as a whole, and I think it just brings extra emphasis to what was already a strength for this and what you want to build on. Whenever you are Mike Zimmer coming in with a new staff and a new personnel.
Speaker 7: I'm not against any specialists coaches. I'm not against that at all. I'm very intrigued and interested to find out how much different this pass rush is going to be than what it's been because assignments are different, way that freedom is different.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, lane.
Speaker 7: Discipline is going to be more of an emphasis. You know, if I have to be more lane disciplined, that means I can't freestyle. I can't freestyle Friday up front, you know, I can't. I'm probably not gonna run as many stunts as I once was. You know, I'm not going to have I probably won't have the personnel groupings.
Speaker 6: Where it's all pass rushers out there.
Speaker 7: You know, there's so much that changes, and it's like that's why I say the value of some of the players that are currently on this roster isn't going to be as high for some guys, because some guys have specific roles, you know, for for some sometimes like take like a Dante Foler, Like dude, I know he's probably, you know, probably not coming back, but like, bro, you're here to to rush the quarterback maybe ten times again, Like that was.
Speaker 6: Your that was your whole role, that was your purpose. It was your whole purpose. Do you need that now? I don't know. Ye wait to see what Zimmer says.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I mean that's part of the point is whenever you do make a change at coordinator, the expectation should not be as high.
Speaker 2: It should not be the level of Dan Quinn.
Speaker 4: If he reaches that level and Mike Zimmer comes in and their top five in these categories and they're better at stopping the run, that's a cherry on top.
Speaker 2: And he's done a phenomenal job. But a realistic expectation for Mike.
Speaker 4: Zimmer is to come in and provide a formidable defense that can stop the run and is more disciplined. Those are the two things that dan Quinn's defense lacked was run stopping ability.
Speaker 2: And discipline to a certain extent.
Speaker 4: And if Zimmer can bring that and keep the numbers around the top ten, mark, I think he's doing a fantastic job and he's helping you win football.
Speaker 6: Just all right, yeah, yeah, we'll see it won't be a problem.
Speaker 7: But if you had to add those two characteristics and take away one, what would you take away.
Speaker 4: So ads run stuffing, yep, and what discipline? And you're taking away like past rush interceptions, takeaways?
Speaker 7: Let me think, because I mean it's I think it's unrealistic to think that he's going to come in and just level those two areas up and something's not going to fall off.
Speaker 4: This team was better against the big play the last couple of years, and I think I would rather keep that than like the interceptions. I would rather limit the big play. Even though takeaways are fun. Takeaways are That's.
Speaker 8: Why these dvs are Deron Blaine and I.
Speaker 2: Think they're gonna get takeaways anyway.
Speaker 5: It's they're Ballhawks. That's going to happen regardless.
Speaker 2: That's that's a tough one.
Speaker 7: Which one would you like creating a man player. You can't make it all ninety nine, right, like something has to go down.
Speaker 8: Defense, Yes I can.
Speaker 5: Oh gosh, I don't think you have to choose between one of those. I was thinking more so like gosh, like man coverage ability, you know, because like you assume that Mike Zimmer's not going to run as much main coverage as Dan Quinn was running this past He loves to run press man, I know, but I'm talking first in the league on a consistent basis. I think if it wasn't for that Gilmore injury late in the year, they would have or in the final game, they would have finished the year number one in man coverage. But so maybe you take that away and hopefully you can insert some zone ability in that same instance.
Speaker 8: But it's interesting.
Speaker 5: It's interesting, But I think it's a defensive back room that is experienced. They've got a lot of talent in different areas. I think whatever they're they're being thrown at, it'll work for them. That's not the concern I have with Mike Zimmer in this defense. It's not the secondary at all.
Speaker 7: What's the timeline in term what's the expectation for a timeline for him to fill the staff.
Speaker 5: I would say we're looking at February thirteenth combined, in a couple of weeks. I would say the week after combine, it should be done.
Speaker 4: That's exactly what I was thinking, because the combine serves as a job board, a job fair for a lot of coaches, because a lot of guys, I mean, you know how it is, they all go out there. The entire league is in Indy, and so when you're out there, Super Bowl is one of them where you have the networking ability and you have the parties or whatever. But the Combine is kind of like that last chance to get your position. So I bet you week after the Combine, maybe ten days after the combine, every staff in the NFL is going to be filled.
Speaker 2: I think it's going to be pretty much done by it.
Speaker 7: And just set the proper expectations for the fans out there listening. He doesn't have to retain everybody on the staff, nor on that side of the ball, Like everybody's job is up for grabs at this point. It's up to him for him to theoretically, theoretically he has to decide to bring them back. It's not a guarantee. It's not like, oh, I was currently on here before with dan Quinn, I get to stay.
Speaker 6: Ye.
Speaker 7: Zimmer has to come in and say I like you or I don't like you, or you if you'll fit with me, you won't fit with me, or we're along the same wavelengths or not. Yeah, So that's that's something that people aren't thinking about.
Speaker 5: Also, and also to keep to that point, Washington is being very particular about their defensive staff hires. Probably in the loom the whatever happens with Zimmer and what he wants.
Speaker 8: To do with this defensive staff, that's that's for a reason.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, you look at Dirty, he's already gone. He's the defensive coordinator with Seattle. Joey Junior joins Dan Quinn out in Washington. The only coach that I'm looking at on this defensive staff that I think would stick around based off of Zimmer and what he does well is Al Harris. I think your defensive back coach is probably going to be here next year, which is a win for the Cowboys. Al's been great, a great part of the staff for the better part of four years now, so I think he's still here.
Speaker 2: And outside of that.
Speaker 4: I think everybody's job is, like you said, it's under review, and that's that basically comes down to Mike Zimmer and whatever we decide doing, no doubt. All right, when we come back, we're gonna take your calls eight eight eight eight five five two two nine seven. We're talking the Cowboys nation when we come back about the new defensive coordinator, higher and a whole lot more.
Speaker 3: Right after this, with more talking Cowboys, Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles pera. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the back pack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 9: Five G requires compatable planning device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com. Slash five g for you for details.
Speaker 10: Black Rifle Coffee Company serves premium coffee to people who love America. When you drink Black Rifle Coffee, you are directly supporting veterans, law enforcement, and first responders in your community. Black Rifles expert roasters love coffee almost as much as Texas loves football, So it makes sense that America's coffee partner with America's team. Go online at Black Riflecoffee dot com and fuel up with the official coffee of the Dallas Cowboys. That's Black Rifle Coffee dot Com. To fuel up.
Speaker 4: Today, Cowboys fans. After that move, We've just coined the term rowdy replay. Let's roll back the table.
Speaker 11: Okay, there's our mascot Rowdy cheering on the boys, and now he's on his phone.
Speaker 6: On his Bank of America Mobile banking.
Speaker 4: App, staying on top of his finances with his virtual financial assistant Erica.
Speaker 11: Bank of America's digital tools are so impressive. Cowboys fans just can't stop banking. Learn more at Bank of America dot com. Slash can't Stop Banking.
Speaker 2: Everyicy It's only available in the Elis language.
Speaker 4: You must download the latest version of the mobile banking app only available on some like mobile devices.
Speaker 2: Message dat Rags applied Member FDIC.
Speaker 12: Welcome back into Dear Doctor, the show where I answer life's questions with an ice cold can of doctor Pepper. Sheila, let's hear from my next caller.
Speaker 2: Would you, Dear Doctor?
Speaker 3: My friend supported me during a tough time. But what's the right gift that says thanks for being a soldier?
Speaker 13: To cry out?
Speaker 12: Okay, this one's easy, I say, give her a delicious Doctor Pepper. Nothing says thanks good better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any Doctor Pepper flavor will do. Now, just a reminder that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that Doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 2: To Talking Cowboys. Back here on Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 4: This portion of the show is brought to you by Quaker Oats, a super trusted super food. Quaker Oats the official oatmeal sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Isaiah didn't give me a cup, oh.
Speaker 6: I was looking for a nice little.
Speaker 5: Bowl blaming others. That's the type of culture. Mike Zimmer doesn't want to get.
Speaker 2: Here early and get your work in this morning. And then we got to get some Oatmeal and.
Speaker 7: I know we gotta get the callers, but can we talk about the d law comment?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 5: And Gilmore quickly walk that back as well, Yeah, you.
Speaker 6: Want to talk about it real quick, bro, Like, what the heck was that?
Speaker 4: So just to give context, like I said in the first segment, it feels like everybody current, former, past, doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: Cowboy had their opinions out.
Speaker 4: There on Super Bowl Radio Row and in Las Vegas, and there was a comment from DeMarcus Lawrence that said, and what show was it on?
Speaker 8: It was on first take.
Speaker 2: It was on first take.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's a big show. I was about to say, Pat McAfee, that was Tony Pollard. That was a different conversation too. Uh. DeMarcus Lawrence said that they were burnt out, that the defense, that the team, that the Cowboys were tired going into that wild card long season.
Speaker 2: It was a long season, seventeen games.
Speaker 4: You rested your starters in the back half of the seventeenth game.
Speaker 5: I would have understood that in the NFC Championship. If you're got the NFC Championship and get your boat whipped.
Speaker 4: Well, you can even see in the Super Bowl both of those teams were gassed by the end of the Super Bowl. The Chiefs and the forty nine ers, they were hell they played five quarters, Yeah.
Speaker 6: They were on edge. How many more games did they play?
Speaker 8: Three? Three or one of them?
Speaker 2: Two?
Speaker 7: But honestly, honestly, honest, first perion, how did that make that statement from DeMarcus Morris make you feel?
Speaker 6: I not love it.
Speaker 5: Initially, I was like, Okay, everyone else is the same exact level of it. It's not like the Packers that only played fourteen games coming into that correct. And Stefan Gilmour was asked about that in a radio interview. I don't remember which one it was. I don't want to miss miss credit here, but it was one of the radio interviews that he did. It's like somebody had asked him, what do you think about you know, were you guys tired or burn day? He's I know, no, No, I don't want to hear that. No, Yeah, that's not what it was.
Speaker 4: I think if DeMarcus so and he's so good with the media all the time, and he really is a leader on that defense, I think if he was given an opportunity, he wouldn't have set it the same way.
Speaker 2: And I also don't know if he completely.
Speaker 4: Mint it the way that it came out, either where he's saying they were burnt out and they were tired and all that. I understand everybody's tired, but I don't think he was using it as the excuse or wanted to use it as the excuse that he ended up doing it.
Speaker 2: As how it wasn't a great state.
Speaker 6: How could have been interpreted that that.
Speaker 4: It was the end of the season and they didn't play well and they weren't ready.
Speaker 2: I think that's basically what he was trying to say.
Speaker 5: What I took it as is that they had a rough December stretch and they were burnt out and tired after that.
Speaker 8: That's what I took it as.
Speaker 5: It's like, which is that at Buffalo, Miami, Detroit, Washington, you know, and then they run into the playoffs, And that's what I kind of took it as, like, we, look, we just came off this stretch tired and burnt out.
Speaker 8: Look I'm not the one make an excuse. I'm just saying I'm just giving a.
Speaker 5: Trying it from both sides to have a better part. You're right, regardless, it doesn't matter. I like playing the Five Bears sixteen weeks in a row. It can't be tired.
Speaker 7: I didn't like some things come even if that was a thought process, some things don't come out.
Speaker 6: Of your mouth.
Speaker 2: Yeah sure.
Speaker 7: And who was it that a couple of years back that said you don't give one hundred percent on every play?
Speaker 2: That was, oh gosh, safety here, yep he was.
Speaker 6: I don't remember that, sad, Oh yeah, we don't.
Speaker 2: It was bad.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we don't give one.
Speaker 2: It was Anthony Brown.
Speaker 6: There you go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, no, no, no, no it was It wasn't Anthony. It wouldn't they be.
Speaker 4: Who was uh Woods Antoine or not Antoine Xavier Woods? The I tend to give DeMarcus Lawrence a pass on this one because he's never been that I would like to He's never been that guy to make.
Speaker 7: Excuses totally entire career. I totally agree with you, Kyle, but I just like some things just don't.
Speaker 2: I can't before you say somethings is like, you.
Speaker 6: Know what, I'm gonna pull that one back. I agree.
Speaker 2: I can't defend what he said, but I can defend the player.
Speaker 6: I agree.
Speaker 2: I get I can defend.
Speaker 4: Who he is and what he does recours into this team and if you don't believe me and you don't understand the film on freaking look at the All twenty.
Speaker 2: Two, because he's there. I will defend the player all day, every day. I can't defend what he said because I didn't.
Speaker 6: Like it either.
Speaker 10: Yep.
Speaker 4: But that's ultimately the thought process behind what DeMarcus Lawrence said. And we could go into what Tony said, what Ceed said, what Micah said him it said, we could talk about a lot and yeah, what Jordan Loves said. Yeah, we ain't talk about all that. But instead I want to hear first Dano in Florida. Dano, you're on talking cowboys. What's going on?
Speaker 14: Hey, guys, what's going on?
Speaker 2: What's on your mind?
Speaker 14: Well, a couple of things, you know, uh, what you were just talking about with DeMarcus. You know, Jimmy Johnson said, you know, fatigue makes cowards out of all of us. I agree. I think I think DeMarcus Lawrence would have loved to have taken those words back. However, you know, I also listened to the Triplets and Darren Johnson and Marcus Spears, and they all see they all seem to say the same thing. The problem is in the organization. It's not a DAK issue, it's an organization issue. That being said, I just want to mention a little bit about what I think needs to happen. The old line needs to get a little bit more physical up front. I think this kid Hoffman at Center might be a steal. I think basket Center might be a steal. Either way, I think that's an upgrade of what we have. I think you bring Tyrone back if he's willing to come back under the same practice schedule he had this year. Defensively, I still haven't heard why Mazzi Smith lost all that way. Haven't heard a thing about that. I think you got to bring Hankins back. And I think you got to get an attitude. And Zimmer brings an attitude. I think he brings a real, in your face, punch him in the face attitude where you know he doesn't want to be your best friend. And I think perhaps dan Quinn got to the point where he wanted to be everybody's friends and there's that fine line you gotta walk, and you know, I don't know if that comfort level got, you know, too strong between everybody, but I think dan Quinn, I, for one, was not one sorry to see him leave. I think, I think, yeah, I think we're going to see some edge Rutgers going. But I think i'd like to see Sam Williams step up. I'd like to bring back Thorn's armstrong and I think a guy that goes unheralded somewhat is Goldstein. All right, And then I want to go back to the old line real quick. You know, we've switched old line coaches twice in three years here now I believe, okay, and I don't know if this guy is the answer. I still say that when the old line, when that coach was Mark Colombo, they mauled people, didn't matter who was upfront. They mauled people. They had an attitude, and it seems like that's not there anymore. I'd like to see an on line coach who's going to bring that element of attack, physicality, nastiness, and I just don't see that they have it and all in as far as I'm concerned from the front office, I'd like to see him get a Davonte David or Bobby Wagner things like that. So I'll hang up. You guys have a good day.
Speaker 15: Hey, quick question for you, Dan, Oh, you didn't get him quick enough. Dang, okay, it's all would I was going to ask that, Yeah, it's all good, no worries he was, he was on a mission. I was going to ask him if he had kind of felt like dan Quinn had reached his ceiling.
Speaker 5: That's why he was okay with him leaving. And I think there were some some conversation points there. But look up front, if we're talking about the offensive line, I think there's there's a resounding approval with everybody in this building that things need to be changed up front.
Speaker 8: What does that look like?
Speaker 5: Who knows, but it's I'd be shocked if the same five that started the playoff game will be the same five that started in Week one.
Speaker 8: What do you do?
Speaker 5: You have a couple of different options. Tyler Biodisch's free agent, Tyron Smith is a free agent. Do you feel like you struck lightning in a bottle by having Tyron Smith for thirteen games this past season. If you do feel like that, then you probably don't bring it back. If you don't feel like that, then hey, maybe you try another one or two more years with Tyler Biottish. How comfortable do you feel in his run blocking abilities. Do you feel like that's a big reason why you weren't able to have success in the interior running the ball up the middle. If you feel that way, go get a different center. Fortunately, this is the draft to do it, to be able to get either of those spots in the first round. But I think regardless, you're gonna see some youth upfront. You're gonna see some changes up front. We talk about there's been some discourse about Mike Celari. I'm okay with Mike Clarion where he's at. I don't think that's the concern here. I think it's more so of a personnel thing. I think they just got to find some different ways and some different people to bring in your thoughts.
Speaker 7: There was a lot to unpack. Yeah, I agree with you on the offensive front. Nobody's going to dispute that here. Defensive line, I don't disagree with you there. You're going to see a lot of turnover there, I believe. In regards to the person now, dan Quinn being excited he's leaving, and that's I wasn't on that train. Missed that one, totally missed that train.
Speaker 4: Didn't have a to And Dano's not alone in that fact, there are a lot of people that when I was talking about expectations of dan Quinn and Mike Zimmer and what they compare, like, a lot of people were happy that dan Quinn is now gone.
Speaker 2: I'm not there. I don't agree, and I'm very vocal about that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he did a phenomenal job with this defense for three years.
Speaker 2: I don't care how it ended in that one game.
Speaker 4: Yes, you build off of that and you use that going forward to build your team better for the future.
Speaker 2: But that doesn't mean he was a bad coordinator.
Speaker 6: People are, Yeah, people have very short term memories.
Speaker 7: That's the case because dan Quinn and what he brought to the field was one of the most feared defenses out there, you know. So anyways, yeah, yeah, you know. In terms of Zimmer looking forward to seeing what changes, I'm looking forward to seeing to what changes. I know that he's a He's more than capable of putting out a good product. It's just gonna be a sit and wait and see the type of deal to see personnel, how it relates to the correct personnel and what they bring on the roster.
Speaker 5: A question that I hope Mike Zimmers asked in his press conference, which should be this week, either tomorrow or Thursday. And if no one asks it, you know, what are the changes you hope to bring and specifically up front in front seven, like, what does that look like for you? What does that look like under your defense? What does that look like for this team? I think that's gonna be the biggest thing that fans are wondering.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Uh, Cynthia in Laredo is on the phone line.
Speaker 6: What up, Cynthia?
Speaker 2: How's it going, ORGV?
Speaker 16: Happy New year?
Speaker 4: Guys, how's it going?
Speaker 2: What's on your mind?
Speaker 16: I'll tell you what. First of all, you got ahead of me. You touched on what I wanted to talk about, and that was the Marcus's remarks about being tired. But my next concern is, can you guys just talk a little bit about I'm worried about the running back situation and what do you think could happen there? Okay, you'll have a great time, and I'm still watching you, guys.
Speaker 2: Okay, appreciation, Cynthia. I'll tell Nate you said hello, Okay, yes, so.
Speaker 16: Give him give him a big hug for you.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 16: It sounds maybe and maybe this coming year, well I'll get to see him again, there you go and the show.
Speaker 2: There you go, perfect love it. Appreciate your cynthony.
Speaker 6: There there she goes.
Speaker 8: Let me give Nate a little smooch on the she from.
Speaker 2: How quickly do you think he would go through the nearest wall?
Speaker 8: It would be a past that he just fallen too.
Speaker 2: Like whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa? What are you doing all right? Running back physician.
Speaker 4: Tony Pollard's comments over the weekend on the Pat mcapee Show didn't make me feel much better about how he is attacking this offseason as a part of the Dallas Cowboys teams. Yeah, he didn't even realize dan Quinn was gone. Now offensive player, defensive staff member. It's not like they were super close. But I mean, come you believe it.
Speaker 2: No, I don't believe think it's a negotiation tactic.
Speaker 8: I don't know what it is.
Speaker 5: I just don't believe that for one second, just like two three days by that point.
Speaker 8: Yeah, there's no way.
Speaker 2: I don't think.
Speaker 8: So there's no way.
Speaker 7: There is at least one text message that came through anyways. Social I'm talking about social media running back position.
Speaker 6: I think there's a couple of candidates out there that I think.
Speaker 7: That they will make a big splash with I'm not sure one of them we even talk about.
Speaker 6: I don't know the rules around that, but I know it.
Speaker 7: King Henry's free, and I know there's a dude up in the New York region that I wouldn't be mad at either, But I think that they're going to I believe he's free as well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well one year deal, one year deal, I think so regardless, there's another one in Indianapolis coming out as well, Zach Moss. There's there's an interesting free agents, No, there's there's interesting free agent opportunities.
Speaker 8: I think.
Speaker 5: I know I've said this many times on a couple of shows. You look at what Detroit did with their backfield this last time season, what they needed to do and how they attack that. They let Jamal Williams walk and he was leading the NFL in touchdowns and there was a lot of criticism around that decision. So what they do They bring in David Montgomery, who is a little bit younger, has that same kind of downhill ability, then okay, let's go get our playmaker Jamiir Gibbs in the first round. Not saying that Dallas is gonna go draft running back in the first round. This is certainly not the draft to do that. But they can go draft one. They can go pick up free agent combo that running back room together, then you have something working there.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there's a lot of different angles they can take this offseason, but I don't foresee the running back room having any issues.
Speaker 6: It's just we just don't know what it's going to look like.
Speaker 5: I think RB three is on this team, though I think so too. I think so as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, let's take our second break. When we come back, we're going to talk to Allen and Clearwater, Florida. We're gonna take his phone call, and then we'll wrap things up here. On this offseason edition of Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 13: Right after this, they say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Aggon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Dear equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official Lagonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit Unitedagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 10: Are you ready to take coffee off your grocery list forever? Black Rifle Coffee Club is here to help. As a Coffee Club member, you'll get your favorite coffees, roasted package and ship to your door free of charge on your preferred schedule. Set it, forget it, and never run low on coffee again. Members also get exclusive deals on coffee products and discounts from partner brands. Ease your mind and let Black Rifle worry about your coffee supply. Go to Black Riflecoffee dot com to join the Coffee Club today.
Speaker 4: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy whipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com. Slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 2: That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 3: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 9: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your areas. He att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 2: To Talking Cowboys. Back here on Talking Cowboys. This segment of the show is.
Speaker 4: Brought to you by invisil Line, the official smile of the Dallas Cowboys. Nick Harris, Isaiah standback. I'm Kyle Yeomans. Let's check in with Alan and Clearwater, Florida.
Speaker 2: What's going on?
Speaker 6: Alan?
Speaker 17: Hey, good morning guys.
Speaker 2: What's on your bid?
Speaker 17: So? The two points that you're bringing up today the coaching hire and the DeMarcus Lawrence comment. On the DeMarcus Lawrence comment, I just want to say this. You know, there's a difference between making an excuse and explaining what happened. I don't know what's in his heart and mind when he said it. None of us do. We're guessing, but everybody's looking for an explanation for the Cowboys collapse in Packers game. If DeMarcus Lawrence is saying that, well, speaking for myself, I was gassed, I was exhausted. He may not be making an excuse. He may be saying there is a reason for me personally right, I was tanked and so my play wasn't enough to pall. I agree with Isaiah, even if that's true, you should not have said it. I think that's poor for a number of reasons. But I just want to point out that he may not be excusing his play. He may be simply explaining it. Here's the explanation, we were gassed. So on the coaching hire, also, I think you guys really have it pegged. The issue is going to be whether zimmer style works for the players. I think that is the key issue. I concur with that opinion. But if we look at again what happened, what explains the collapse? The three things that we've been talking about is personnel, talent, the game plan, and the execution of the players. And if you look on the defensive side of the ball, if we answer the first question that we had the talent, that there is enough talent on this team to win, we're left with two other possibilities. It was the game plan that Quinn called, or it was the execution of the players. In either case, to my mind, that's a coaching issue. If your players aren't executing, you guys are doing something wrong in the coaching part of this team as well. So we bring in Zimmer, we're probably going to have different game plan, And as everybody's been pointing out, it's the discipline on execution. If you have enough talent and you have a good game plan, then it's execution. And we know this defense was not disciplined, not disciplined for penalties with you know their assignments. Okay, so we're going to find out if the key is as you were pointing out. Also, I just want to say I agree, will it work for this group of players? And that is really why it's disappointing that Quinn didn't stay one more year though, one more year with McCarty. Because him leaving with this group of players, you know, the Cowboys may look back and regret did they should have been McCarthy that it was gone and given Quinn the team because all these players that were working for him. Isn't going to get much worse with this new coach. And if you look at the staff that Quinn's putting together at Washington, I like the staff that he's putting together. I would have liked to see that here. Time will tell the Cowboys may regret that they let go the wrong coach.
Speaker 2: Alan, thank you for the call.
Speaker 4: Appreciate your opinions and some of the questions that you're raising there too.
Speaker 2: I'll start with the with.
Speaker 4: The game plan and how he saw the way the Wildcard game went down. We talked about it afterwards immediately on the show following.
Speaker 2: Everyone deserved a little bit of that loss.
Speaker 4: Game plan check, coaching, check, players, check personnel check. Maybe this roster wasn't as good as we thought it was. Maybe it wasn't as good as we made it out to be. Either way, it didn't happen and there was a lapse in a number of ways. I think there's a little bit of all the elements that he just listed that deserve a little bit of the blame for what happened in the wildcard round, and that doesn't change now that we're a month out from what happened.
Speaker 7: No note at all, And Jordan Love helped you a little bit of understanding as to what their game that was, Michael Park.
Speaker 2: We want to give context to that as well.
Speaker 8: Yeah, for sure. MICHAEH.
Speaker 5: Parsons had this big live stream on his podcast on Friday night in Vegas and had.
Speaker 8: A lot of people pop through.
Speaker 6: C J.
Speaker 5: Stroud, Steven Ay Smith, Ceedee Lamb and Jordan Love. And Jordan Love stayed on for fifty four minutes and they talked about a lot of things. The second half of that podcast is actually pretty fun because then they just talk ball. It's actually kind of interesting. But the first half there's probably a good ten to fifteen minute section where they're talking about the game, the Cowboys Packers game and how they were able to attack the Cowboys defense. And it was kind of funny because Jordan Love was he was very straightforward and honest about it, but it kind of came off as like, I don't know, kind of like facetious in some ways. He was like, well, you know, we were looking at your defense and noticed she had a defensive back playing linebacker, so.
Speaker 8: We were going to run the ball.
Speaker 6: Michael was not like a safety or something like that.
Speaker 5: Michael was like, all right, cool, Yeah, so it's tough, but yeah, I there's a lot of people on Twitter. I think whenever that video dropped on Saturday morning, that we're calling that a little bit soft and kind of pairing it with d Law having those soft comments a couple of days before, was soft having Jordan Love on the podcast just just in general. Yeah, yeah, and there was a lot of there was a lot of discourse about that. So yeah, well, okay, that's that's why you're off Twitter. That's why I just tell you everything that happened.
Speaker 2: Nick's got this under wraps, he's got it all good.
Speaker 8: I'll bring the toxicity to you.
Speaker 6: Don't worry straight gifts. That's my response.
Speaker 4: So the second half of Allen's comments, they're talking about will the Cowboys regret letting the wrong coach quote unquote go, there's no way you make that decision. I just I know, I know what you're thinking. I know what the thought process is there. That decision was never in.
Speaker 2: The question for this organization.
Speaker 4: And with that being said, part of the problem was dan Quinn too. He gave up twenty seven points in the first half to a team that he should not have given up twenty seven points in the first half too.
Speaker 5: And let the records show that they were They did not get rid of dan Quinn. They did not like, oh yeah, let him walk, more than okay with having him back in the building right now if Washington did not hire him as a head coach. So they were more than okay with running it back with what they had. So that's only by chance of the commanders signing them as head coach. And you know, maybe that gives you a little bit more parody going into Mike McCarthy's final year on contract and we'll see, But I think that's too tough to judge. You look at what they were able to do offensively, what they were able to to do defensively, the time that each coach had, and being able to form those systems. I don't think you make a decision there, which they didn't. Washington made it for him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he's right. Time will tell, But that's anything in the NFL. Right time will tell anything. It'll tell if Dan Quinn's going to be a good hire in Washington, it'll be if Mike Zimmer's a good hire as the defensive coordinator in Dallas.
Speaker 2: That's just the NFL. I mean, time will tell.
Speaker 4: If Patrick Mahomes was a good draft pick back in twenty seventeen for the Kansas City Chiefs, he turned to be pretty okay.
Speaker 8: Time didn't really have to tell that one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, having quick you only had a couple Hey, short amount of time, long amount of time.
Speaker 2: You can figure it out in a couple of ways. But that's that's ultimately our are.
Speaker 4: My thought on the process. We'll see what happens moving forward. All right, Isaiah, you will not be here next week or the following or the following week.
Speaker 2: Where are you going?
Speaker 6: I am going to Tanzania?
Speaker 2: Why is that going?
Speaker 7: With the Chris Long. Chris Long has a foundation on actually waterboys dot org where they go to Tanzania and other countries in Africa and provide water, sustainable water wells and obviously underprivileged areas of the of the country. So super excited to go play a part in that was able to raise some funds through all the donations, so thank you to everybody who donated. Now I get to actually go see the impact in person. And then uh, in association with that, we're climbing Mount Kilimanjaro.
Speaker 2: Oh like that's like the side that's a side quest, that's the gig. Yeah, so interesting.
Speaker 6: Four days up, two days down. Pray for your boy.
Speaker 5: I was asking you in the break about how you how you get there? Can you can you explain that some peopleause I don't think you got the chance to fin.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm yeah. So I leave.
Speaker 7: I fly from here to Detroit, which I think is like three hours or something like that.
Speaker 6: I have two and a half hours, three hours the Lions.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and then I fly from Detroit to Amsterdam, which I think is eight seven and a half hours, and then I have another layover, and then I fly from Amsterdam down to Tanzania, which is eight hours half hours.
Speaker 2: So you go straight from Amsterdam to tanzan air right there.
Speaker 5: Okay, so I figured there'd be another layover in there, but yeah.
Speaker 6: That works. Yeah, I wish I wish I had your private jet. But twenty three hours of traveling.
Speaker 2: I'm shocked you didn't go to like Johannesburg first.
Speaker 7: I either way, I would have been in the airport. I'm not getting out of air but it's gonna be an interesting trip. I'm super I'm getting excited. I'm kind of paranoid of making sure that I have all my gear because there's no buying gear.
Speaker 6: Once you're there, So just trying to make sure that I have all everything checked off.
Speaker 7: And I'm gonna get a lot of content, record a lot of stuff, take a lot of pictures, and hopefully have a big impact, and then hopefully I can make it all the way up and down the mountain.
Speaker 2: That's awesome.
Speaker 5: Well, good stuff can us from the top of Mount kilim then jar on our show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, in the middle of Mount Kilimanjaro.
Speaker 6: Call you guys this midnight.
Speaker 2: Is there quickly?
Speaker 4: Is there any way for those listening to still be involved?
Speaker 7: Absolutely, you guys go to waterboys dot org and you guys go on there and see the current roster and myself, as I think there's eleven others that are part of it. And if you guys want to donate, just click on my name on the roster and you guys can donate a really good cause. They've had a big impact for a lot of years and I'm excited to be on the ground with them.
Speaker 2: That's awesome.
Speaker 4: That's really cool. Well, good luck, let us know how it goes. Please come back in three weeks alive, please and good to go.
Speaker 2: That would be great. All right, that'll do it for us here on Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 4: We'll be back next Tuesday with Nick and John Machoda on the show for Isaiah stand back, Nick Harris, Chris Beam in the back. I'm Kyle Yoman saying so long from Talking Cowboys. We'll see you next week.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 5: H