Speaker 1: Welcome to another episode of Civic Cyper. I am your host, Ramsey's joh.
Speaker 2: You know, most of the time I tell you guys my name, I give you, you know, some synonyms for that name, some colloquialisms and some some different go buys and bkas and akas and pka's. The content of our show is about to make me change my name, Ramseys. That's up to like something pseudo political militant with an X on the end of it, cause it's getting.
Speaker 1: Out of control. Bro qx is two letters something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Bro, I'm leaning towards something like that. Well, because it's getting hard because I do that to kind of start us off on a light note and really like take you down the list of names that the Reverend Estella Seacrest called me throughout my life in Ramseys and my brothers and sisters and even some of the stuff that i've you know, using the entertainment space. But man, it's getting hard to be light. It's getting hard to laugh. It is becoming more and more difficult for me to come across as neutral on a lot of these things we talk about. And I know I've made this a much longer intro than typical. But it's hard to not be angry just from what we have to consume in preparation for our show every week. Folks. It is getting harder, not easier. And the and the and the the less hopeful version of me that you guys maybe used to hear when we first started doing the show. He's creeping. He's creeping back into the studio. Man, my more hopeful brother Ramses is going to have to be the entirety of our hope here pretty soon because mine is dwindling.
Speaker 1: Well, how about we do this then, Let's let's do like we always do at this time and start off with some ebony excellence. That's a positive note. I think we can start on that work for you. Sure, okay, all right, Well, we're a big fan of this guy, Drake.
Speaker 2: I'm a bigger fan of him than people realize.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I think Drake is the man. I won't take nothing from him, you know. But for those who are fans of Drake, you might recall a video, God's Plan video that came out some years back, and he took the budget from the video and ended up just kind of giving it away and shot the video on the street instead of using this big budget to shoot some cool video. One of the people that he gave some money to was a college student. Her name is Destiny James, and recently she graduated, so I want to read a bit of a report back from her. Says that she was gifted fifty dollars by the and she ended up speaking to Entertainment tonight about the impact of that moment. She says, the biggest effect is that he gave me an opportunity to really just live as a college student without the financial burden that I had before the scholarship. James, who was a junior at the University of Miami at the time, shared the scholarship went toward my senior year. He was hands down the best year had in college because I didn't have to worry about trying to work multiple jobs to make sure that I have money, or worrying about my tuition bill and whether or not it was going to be paid. So of all these issues that she had prior to receiving the scholarship, they just went away, she said. When I sent him that I was graduating with my masters this weekend, he responded immediately, she revealed. Before I could respond to his message, he was already on my picture commenting and driving my page crazy. But he's very genuine. Even though we don't speak on a regular basis. When we do, he's genuine and he's very supportive. He's a big cheerleader. So shout out to Drake and for those of you who donate to the United Negro College Fund or any college fund, you know, it's it's good to hear stories like this because education matters. Black women are the most educated group in the United States, and to see these outcomes really helps us on our way toward painting it, establishing a different narrative. So shout out to Drake, but also values education.
Speaker 2: Shout out to Drizzy Man, Shout out to Ovo, Shout out to Canada.
Speaker 1: Yeah man, one time. All right, So now we're going to have to get into some heavier things, and I apologize I didn't get to tease all this stuff this year, but you know, we do have a pretty interesting show lined up for you. We will be talking a bit later about, uh, you know, some how, how how melanin appears to be a weaponized and how there's oftentimes a very strong police response to that. We're also going to talk about something called the African Dodger game, which is the precursor to the dunk you know, I forget the name of it. It's like a dunk game that you play at a carnival where you throw a ball and hit a plate and it dunks a person sitting on a seat. There used to be a game where they would throw baseballs at black people's heads, and that was a precursor of that game. So we're going to talk about that as well. But first we're going to talk about the Super Bowl halftime show. Now, normally I don't really have too much to say about sports, but I do have something to say about music, just a little bit. You know, I recognize that this show has carried on a lot of music format stations, and rightfully so, because we do need to have those stations carrying programming like this so that we can paint a different side of ourselves. You know, Black people are not just rappers and singers. We're thinkers, and we do have issues in our communities and as we relate to each other across racial lines, and having a platform like this allows us to say our piece and fortify ourselves and our allies against you know, the forces that exist in this world that would crush us, you know, not the least of which is you know, white supremacist institutions. However, I will talk about the Super Bowl halftime show because there were a lot of unfounded attacks on that halftime show. Now full disclosure. I am a fan of hip hop music. I'm a DJ use the DJ too, right.
Speaker 2: You Yeah, but you know that maybe that would change in the future soon.
Speaker 1: At present, if you give us some turn tables and some records, we can rock a party. So and you know that's what we do. But also I'll say that I am from California. I was born in Compton, California. So for those that saw the super Bowl, it was Doctor dre Kendrick Lamar, Snoop Dogg, fifty Eminem and Mary J. Blige where the you know, the bigger acts on the Super Bowl. And then there were some other folks there. I think Anderson Pack and some other folks were there as well. But it was really a big day for West Coast hip hop and I am a West Coaster to the death of me. You know, I got my low Rider bike. You know, I still got a bunch of pairs of Chucks. It is just a part of who I am. So when I speak about what happened here, I need you to know that, just so that if it seems a bit biased, you know, I'm being honest. I'm being forthright.
Speaker 2: And how fitting was it that Compton met Detroit on that stage at the super Bowl?
Speaker 1: Oh? I didn't even put that together. Huh how about that.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying, yeah, man, we we're gonna talk about eminem. I'm just saying so.
Speaker 1: So again, for those that saw the super Bowl, I'm not going to spoil anything, or I'm gonna try not spoil anything. But those who saw the super Bowl, you saw that it was a I don't want to call it a tame halftime show, but there's certainly been more controversial halftime shows. Yes, you know that.
Speaker 2: I'd argue that's true. Yeah, I wouldn't even have to argue there's flagrantly there's been flagrantly more provocative sure halftime performances. Sure.
Speaker 1: And I think that the super Bowl over time has learned to be sensitive to American sensibilities, you know, just kind of the general you know, population. You can't make everyone happy, but you know, let's we have to try, because this is entertainment right, but you'd be surprised. There's a lot of people who are on the right, more conservative types, that have taken issue with this particular halftime performance. And normally I wouldn't make a big deal out of people's opinions on the Super Bowl because I, well, everybody's entitled to their opinion. But I just kind of feel like a lot of these people, in order to get views, clicks, engagement, to stir up the rage in their you know, subscriber base, or just to have something to talk about, will formulate these baseless attacks on anything that is liberal, right, or anything that's not conservative. We'll call it that not traditional Americana, you know, like fifties drive in you know, roller skating rinks, you know, ice cream and apple pie. They want to they would prefer them in America that look like that, and if it doesn't, then they launch attacks. A lot of that. There's a lot of anger that comes off of that wing of politics. A lot less so that comes from the left wing, And again I normally wouldn't make a big deal out of it, but what I do feel is happening a lot, and this is perhaps the best example of it, is race is increasingly becoming a factor, and people have this very interesting way of talking around race while still speaking about it. It's almost like an act of cowardice. It's almost like them saying, look at those black people doing their black stuff. Oh wait, I'm not racist. Look there's a black person here with me. Right. So there's this coded language, it's sort of dog whistle language. And these again baseless attacks on what now is very American. It's a very American art form. It's not novel, it's not new, it's not for the kids. You know, everyone that knew all those songs by heart are in their forties, fifties, you know, late thirties. You know, this is America, right, And this art form, hip hop was born in America, same as R and B. Right. And these attacks that I'm about to go into feel very unfair, and I've seen a few of them, but I haven't seen much in the way of a defense, perhaps because a lot of us know that they're baseless attacks, that these people are just talking to their own little echo chambers, and you know, it's not going to get any further than that. We all saw what happened. We knew what it was and what it wasn't. It's fine, But because they are journalists I use that term loosely, or because they have journalistic quote unquote outlets, I feel like it's important for us to challenge that narrative or otherwise chronicle our own and defend that halftime performance against what it is that they've said. Now, one such thing that came about very early on was there's a guy who's a conservative talk show hosted name is Charlie Kirk. You might not have heard of him. I never heard of him, but this guy has over a million one point seven million dollar followers on his Twitter right and says he's a co founder and executive director of the right wing student group Turning Point USA, which I have heard of. And he says that he thinks that the super Bowl halftime performance should have been banned. Huh. It goes on to say that Kirk commented that quote, the NFL is now the league of sexual anarchy. This halftime show should not be allowed on television. Okay, So what were your thoughts on the Super Bowl performance? Just general thoughts.
Speaker 2: So I'm gonna let our audience in on something here.
Speaker 1: Okay, Q.
Speaker 2: Was at work during the entirety of the Super Bowl. I did not see the game or what many have dubbed the greatest halftime show of all time. Okay, okay, now I know the lineup of the halftime show. Yeah, so I knew at worse it would be good. But from what I've heard, it was excellent. Okay, Okay, we'll take that. I cried in the car.
Speaker 1: Sure, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I cried in the car.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that makes sense. I couldn't imagine. And I'll be honest, I didn't watch the Super Bowl, but I did watch the halftime performance. I'm not I just yeah, you know, I heard that LA won, which is great for LA because LA kind of needed a win. You know.
Speaker 2: First of all, I'm gonna cut Ramdas off. Y'all, LA did not need a win. Well, they're already Los Angeles, California. Let's start there. They're already that the Dodgers and Lakers in the last two years have both won. That's the championship of their respective leagues.
Speaker 1: You know, there's I was saying that there's a lot of hurt still surrounding sports, surrounding the city, surrounding the people. See the people, right, and then I think that for there to be Snoop Dogg and Doctor Dre at the halftime performance. Word that is, there's something to be said about Nipsey. In fact, I remember in the halftime performance they had like a photo of Nipsy somewhere on the back on the backdrop.
Speaker 2: And the team that won the Super Bowl they took the field two last time that I checked by the late great Nipsey Hustle and or mentioned Nipsey Hustle, yes, and then one for the West Coast.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, and then the same with Kobe. You know, just the city suffering, not really suffering, but kind of still dealing with the loss of those kind of powerful figures. So that's why I said that. But for this man, Charlie Kirk to call the NFL uh the League of sexual anarchy based off of that halftime performance, what are you talking about?
Speaker 2: Yes, miss Kirk.
Speaker 1: Now and him saying that it should not be allowed on television based by his own account on the sexual nature of it is absolutely askline. First off, the only person who I think he might have been referring to was Mary J. Blige. And even if you don't know Mary J. Blige, I employ you to go back and look at the performance again. There was nothing sexual about her performance at all. Sexy. Perhaps she's a woman, she dresses nice, she keeps herself in good shape. She's a dancer and a singer, you know, but she wasn't dancing gyrating on anyone. There was nothing overtly sexual about her performance. Mary's is married, she's you know, she's like Auntie, you know, she's not like she doesn't have like Beyonce energy or Rihanna energy. I mean, I guess Rihanna's kind of graduated now, but she's go ahead jump in.
Speaker 2: You know. Usually RAMS is to give somebody the benefit of the doubt portion of the show, but I do from time to chime in to make sure people are not accusing us of turning an intentional blind eye to things. I saw the set list. There was nothing overtly sexual about any of it. However, if you're the type of person that wants to find something wrong, you will. So I'm gonna figure and this is stupid, even if it's the reason, because the song itself does not give those vibes in the club.
Speaker 1: That's the only other one might.
Speaker 2: Be without argument, the biggest party record in history, right up there with like DMX party Up even. I think those two songs might even trump LMFAL because it's window was so like the LMFAL songs don't hit now like they did when they came out in the club.
Speaker 1: Already up still go. Yeah, you're right, are undefeated.
Speaker 2: Yeah you can be at a funeral if you drop one, it's going up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right.
Speaker 2: In the lyrics, fifty cents says I'm into having sex, I ain't into making love, so come give me a hug. And even after that line, the next line is, so come give me a hug. Like so, if he was reaching as far as he possibly could to try to find something quote unquote sexual, it might be that lyric I just said. However, fifty cents hanging upside down in a weight room, then at a party, so you know what I mean. The moments itself did not give him the vibes of sexual anarchy.
Speaker 1: Mister Kirk, Yeah, exactly, Come on, man, So, so do you see what I mean when I say it's just sort of an unfair light to cast on the Super Bowl show. And because these performers are black, it further associates blackness with you know, uh, moral immorl behavior. Uh uh priority like how do I say this? Who knows? Man? It just it just it casts every everybody on that stage and a very unflattering light. And you know between the two people were talking about today, there's two million followers, right, so this is not no one. These aren't They're not talking to no one. It's not like some creep and the backwaters of Twitter that has forty followers and is just talking to his friends and a couple of people that are work with them in bots. You know, these are some substantial voices, at least in their arenas. So you know, to your point fifty cent, you know, doing his it's a party record. You know, Eric Clapton has a song called Cocaine the Rolling Stones. There's so many groups that have songs about drugs, about sex, about you know, all these sorts of things that existed way before hip hop. And and those people will play the super Bowl, those people will you know, these guys will go to their concert who's this guy, Charlie Charlie Kirk will go to their concerts, I'm sure and you have a good old time, right and won't find fault at all because like doctor Dre and fifty cent and Snoop Doggs. There is no fault to find. It is okay to make adult music for adults who go to adult nightclubs, right, and that pursue adult activities and then buy adult libations and so forth, right, But for for them to cast it in some sort of uncultured, un American, yeah, it's just it's and then because of the blackness, it's very easy for them to find fault because it's not them. It's not American apple pie. It's hip hop. And of course everyone wanted to call it gangster rap, which I'll take that label no problem. That's what they would call themselves. And they were some gangsters, you know, so gangster rap. Sure. But once something gets established, once everyone has grown up with it, it's it's not so alarming anymore. Right, It's not like people, you know, it's not like kids are getting into sixth grade, seventh grade and then just finding out about Doctor Dre and Snoop Dogg. They're not just getting their you know, their chronic album and oh my gosh, let me go hit the streets and game. You know, that's a bygone era and this music is a product of that era. But for them to kind of rehash all of this stuff like it's like it's thirty years ago, like it's twenty five years ago. Just shows. I believe it shows their intention is to continue to cast black culture, black music, and black people in bad Like there's another person I want to or there's another thing at a point I want to make. Rather this guy, Charlie Kirk and a lot of other people are people that, especially on the right, that fight against cancel culture. They're they're huge critics of cancel culture. They don't love cancel culture. A lot of people on the right are this way. So for him to say that the halftime show should not be allowed on television and you know, take this sort of stance against this, I think that he's actually being a hypocrite there as well, because now he's a fan of cancel culture all of a sudden, if it serves to cancel black folks. And I'll say one more thing, he says, this is the sort of guy that calls liberals snowflakes quote unquote, and is one of the people that wants to like ban CRT, you know, and and you know, now he's calling for banning on of hip hop. But he's calling the liberal people snowflakes. He's calling you know this, this this halftime show. So he's calling it like sexual anarchy, you know what I mean. So you see the hypocritical nature in these talking points and in these people. It's it's such a strange thing to see. Now. I do want to say this, I do want you to jump in, but I want to make sure that I get this in here. There's another woman. Her name is Bridget Gabriel. She has almost three hundred and seventy thousand followers on Twitter. She was born this is her birth name is Hanan Quahwaji. She's born in Lebanon. She goes by Bridget Gabriel. She's a conservative author and anti Islam activist huh and founder of anti Muslim group ACT or ACT for America. I'm sure that stands for like Americans Countering terrorist them or something crazy like that, but Act for America. And she tweeted, quote, the super Bowl halftime show was basically pornography on television. Hunt absolutely disgusting. Wow, it shouldn't have been permitted for cable television. End quote. And the and here's another thing. Kendrick Lamar has has a line in his song alright, those know we gonna be all right? He has a line in there that says, and we hate Popo, right, the want to kill us dead in the Street Fall show, that's how the bar goes. And he either took it out or they muted it right, so it never made it to air. Doctor Dre has one line that stayed in it says still not loving police, which is his right as an American. And then Eminem was kneeling beyond that. I could find nothing, but we got ten seconds go ahead.
Speaker 2: I just wish they would have said they had a problem with and we hate Popo? Still not loving police said it me, Eminem nearly instead of saying that it was pornography and sexual anarchy, because what are you talkt like, what are you talking about this point? Yeah, well, why not go as usual with the low hanging fruit like you always do, even if it's baseless, at least you're being kind of honest sexual like You're right, man.
Speaker 1: Barn lies the hypocrisy. But this is a good enough time for us to take a pause for the cause, so stick around when coming back a more civic sidher right after this