Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of the Consolation President President trend c Hey, hey nailed there. It is it ak We realized too late. That's all we should have done for our for our Wednesday episode. That song just Loui Dian Loup.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh boy, hey man, but you nailed it, ponious pilot, Wait to go.
Speaker 1: My name is Jack. That over there is mister Miles Gray is Thursday, November seventh. Yeah, the l takes are coming in fast and furious. Yeah, we got The National Review is saying that Biden should pardon Trump for some reason.
Speaker 2: Uh wait, what's the point of that, like spare yourself from his like his wrath once he's in office?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, maybe is that what it is?
Speaker 2: Like he save your own ass? Just just pardon him now.
Speaker 1: I think it's just the general trend that we're seeing with the mainstream media where they're like Trump won, he was right about everything, right, Like that must mean every impulse we had about you know, social justice, any like progressive economic policy, we should be ashamed of that and like pretend like we actually like don't we were. We're sorry for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was I think more on Morning Joe. Maybe I think it was Joe Scarborough was trying to Yeah, yeah it was. It was like Joe Scarborough saying it was trans yeah, and like helping and supporting trans people got Donald Trump elected. So as if to be like that was a misstep, get the fuck out of here. The problem is that people don't aren't looking in an intersectional way enough, which is how people get lost in the cracks because people only look out for themselves anyway. Yeah, there's a so there's other ones. So many takes are like America needs to come together now to what about Like that's kind of how this ship would work, is like with this kind of presidency looming is to be like let's just lay down, just lay.
Speaker 1: Down, now, show him your belly. You swear to god, he'll just tickle it. I saw a somebody be like Biden should do the right thing. There's so many people with advice for Biden right now, like that he's gonna suddenly start taking good at place.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, would you have to say, dude.
Speaker 1: So one of them is there's there's a lot of takes being like Biden needs to like do make tons of changes to protect the American presidency, to protect democracy, like just force through all these changes. It's like he didn't do that when he was a like I newly elected president. Why would he be able to do that? Now they're also saying, I've seen a take that he should step down and allow Kamala to be the first woman president by default.
Speaker 2: That's so fucking Patron's so for real. Yeah, and like I and I get that the as in terms of like a campaign, being able to run that campaign from the time Biden stepped down to election day was no normal feat. That was actually pretty extraordinary, given like just purely the coordination of it all. Obviously there were a lot of problems with messaging and policy and stuff like that. But then to just be like, and you know what, here, have a lick of my ice cream cone. Yeah, that that's actually psych I like ice cream too much, Jack, Sorry, Jack, this is my ice cream.
Speaker 1: A nice tramac schera. It falls down the front of his shirt. A uh then he starts crying. Anyways. Uh, it's I don't know, very very discouraging that the mainstream take away from this is going to be it's the left fault. But we kind of knew that even heading into the.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not fully come out yet because there's also a lot of people like when you look at third party votes too, and like certain swing states, like even if you added the votes that were people voted third party or something, that wouldn't have been enough to beat Trump. Also, yeah, so I think I think, like the mainstream media is probably they're just they need a little more data before they really they really do a full throated finger pointing match as to what happened, rather than saying, like, yeah, just not delivering for working people isn't going to help. And trust me, I think and the people who voted for Trump, it's going to be a rude awakening when he also does not deliver for working people. But Jesus, Yeah anyway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, if we still had like normal elections, it would continue to go back and forth like this forever. Just whoever was not running theopotito, Yeah exactly. Anyways, Hey, at least somebody had a good election night. And I'm talking of course about meditation apps. So Calm, the meditation app that is, like the one that's not Headspace. I feel like those are the two meditation apps decided to advertise during the election, like it was the Super Bowl. They advertised on CNN and ABC Comedy Central, and their ads were kind of ingenious, just thirty seconds of silence, which anytime there's an ad that is silent, I will stole it. What every thing and be like, what the fuck is that person doing?
Speaker 2: My idiot box went quiet?
Speaker 1: It must be broken. Everybody should dropped my kid? Did you run over the slap the side? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Fop of the side now.
Speaker 1: Anyways, this is the first time Calm has attempted to mine our national political trauma. They also sponsored the CNN key race alerts in twenty twenty, and more recently sent their users push alerts during the Trump Biden debate, which is I feel.
Speaker 2: Like, okay, relax, Like, on the one hand.
Speaker 1: Like this might be the best advertisement for meditation since David Lynch. Like not the ad itself, but the fact that they were clear minded enough to be like, man, a lot of this is going to be bad for a lot of people. Yeah, their mind. This debate is going to break people's brains. And then ahead of the election they knew that. Again, unless part of me is like, are they using our heart rate? Mon? Like, you know all those apps like have access to so much of our data, like your health stuff is there, just like the CEO of their company sitting in a room like the Bad Guy and Watchmen with just like monitors of every American's health metrics and just being like, we've got things of spiking, just like some real black mirror shit.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I mean, I mean that there are other ones too that I think the other ones they had like nature sounds and they are It's it is funny how disorienting it is because it's used to like the cacophony of like like and just like what the fuck that when you hear like birds chirping, You're like, am I okay?
Speaker 1: Did I did I just die? Did I just die? Why do I so happy? Am i? Uh? It apparently paid off big time. The calm app jumped more than one hundred spots in the app store. And we're always looking at the app store charts here see what apps are hot. But yeah, I don't know. I tend to think of my smartphone as my NonStop anxiety pipeline. So it's it's cool that they have locked down, though, Like what if it wasn't outside of things, what if you didn't have to do that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's why. I like the you know, in the beginning of lockdowns. I just love that like three D audio nature headphone shit I would used to wear and just bliss out.
Speaker 1: Yeah what if? What if? Not here? Let us send you a push notification to remind.
Speaker 2: You, Hey, relax, okay, thanks.
Speaker 1: The other things that were happening on the idiot boxes of America on election night. First of all, far fewer people watching the election on TV this time around, a sharp drop, I think, just generally. Even though the mainstream media takes in the aftermath of the election are pretty infuriating, the overall way that this election went I think is the best indication we have yet that nobody is paying attention to the instream media takes, so don't we don't have to get too upset by them. But on various outlets, it was it just felt like a game show, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I remember it was so funny. I pissed off her majesty when we were watching because there was a shot on like MSNBC or they have this augmented reality thing where like it seemed like they were just they set up a stage outside like the back of the White House, and I was like, WHOA look at that camera shot went whoa, what was that camera shot? And so are you fucking what? And I was like yeah, wowie, yeah, it's like they got me. It's it was very, very overly slick production for something when you're just waiting, like a.
Speaker 1: Sweeping crane shot type thing.
Speaker 2: It was like it just pushed away from Karnaki and it looked like there were steps down and then that was like onto like the west lawn of the White House or whatever they whatever they call that.
Speaker 1: Big fuck.
Speaker 2: Yeah it was, it was. It was weird.
Speaker 1: They had a Kornaki cam that followed and I'm quoting here map daddy, Steve Kornaki.
Speaker 2: I prefer daddy map.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I'm the make it to make it, to make it, to make it a map daddy. But uh cool criss cross reference.
Speaker 2: Yes, sorry, I'm years old. Yep.
Speaker 1: It followed him the entire time On YouTube, you could just tune in to watch him like freaking out quietly on the sidelines, like out off camera. They were just there was somebody just following him the entire time, like some sort of fucking psychological experiment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it wasn't it just again, no need for that, no need for that. But it becomes Yeah, it just becomes like an eyeball palooza election, right, It's so weird that.
Speaker 1: We keep electing a morally bankrupt reality show star when we treat our elections like a game show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, acid trip game shows.
Speaker 1: CNN released an app version of their quote iconic Magic Wall, which is that just the map like the that you can like hit Like, do they think they invented the touch screen?
Speaker 2: Look? Jack, It's Iconic Magic Wall, and we made it an app that way we could get users to agree to our weird privacy terms and conditions so we can just start siphoning dat off whatever. It's iconic, man, it's iconic.
Speaker 1: Wow. You two can pretend to be John King. Fuck yeah, play normalize the creeping threat of fascism from your own living room. Amazon Prime had an election night event that our writer JM went and sought out. I was not aware this was happening. It was hosted by Brian Williams, who we all know from his poetic soliloquy about the beauty of our weapons as like missiles were being launched under the Middle East and the entire set was just one big screen so that it could be shot in Brian Williams's like basement. I guess, I don't know. I don't know what was.
Speaker 2: Going on a set based on how big the amount of movement, I think that was happening on that big set.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a big old screen and it just like the background looked like a weird AI slop hodgepodge of like American iconography. Like on the left there was like the red like the Arizona Devil's Tower, I think is what that is, like the you know, Desert Mountain.
Speaker 2: Is that why they're Grand Canyon or just some Arizona shit.
Speaker 1: I think that's just some Arizona shit, right.
Speaker 2: Shout out to that Arizona shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, from sea to Shining Sea and everything. Yeah. He was also like the his desk was in the middle of a road. It was really like half assed, like it looked like a college TV station production, because.
Speaker 2: So much shit on television, especially like news and like sports broadcasts are just big green screen walls, so like it can be anywhere and yeah, if you don't have that really sorted out, just like I don't know, what do we have for a backblade there? Yeah, just put them on that rural road.
Speaker 1: Which it did look like AI slot because like the road, like the I can't tell if the camera is like really low because there's all these American flags along the side of the highway. There's also a car approach in the background, so it looks like he's about to be squashed like a bug. But the small American flags look huge because of I guess the camera angle, or maybe.
Speaker 2: It is just AI slot or they just huge s flags.
Speaker 1: And then over in the UK, Channel four hosted a panel that included Brian Cox because he was in succession, Boris Johnson, their former Prime minister, and Stormy Daniels.
Speaker 2: Damn all right, that's all right, that's a decent spread. Channel here we go. Yeah cool, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know, maybe there's a danger of treating elections like the super Bowl, but but yeah, you know, it's too early to tell.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean yeah, turning it into again it's like the horse race of it all and then really really having that whole aesthetic over it. It's like, is this serious? Like what does it mean when the number hits two seventy?
Speaker 1: All right, let's take a quick break and we'll be right back. And we're back.
Speaker 2: We're back.
Speaker 1: There's a new trend in people's jobs ending, and now it's time for the bosses to snap back.
Speaker 2: It's so wild that we went from but prior to this, your employees are fucking around, they're fucking rears, anteeism and quiet quitting, and now on a dime, Fast Company is like, silent firing is the new quiet quitting. It's like, what the fuck is that? And that's essentially what any person has probably experienced at a job, when they just make your workload so unbearable that you just choose to leave. Yeah, and then they can automate the job. It sounds like kind of like where they're they're.
Speaker 1: That's what they're thinking, Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, it's like just make it untenable, then we don't you don't have to fire them.
Speaker 2: You just make their situation untenable, they leave, and now you can swap that in for some kind of large language model.
Speaker 1: So quiet quitting was when described by the employees who engage in it, just doing your job quietly, like you I know, like generally they were like, you know, it's when you stop showing up for work and like you just don't tell your boss. But like, really, what it seemed like it was just like not putting in one hundred and ten percent, just minimal effort. Yeah, minimal effort, just do what you got to do a base yet fired. Yeah exactly, I'm not going to fucking dress.
Speaker 2: Up for your them day. No, I got the job done. Can I go home?
Speaker 1: Their equivalent is like, well, two can play at that game. We will work you so cruelly that you will get like be physically unable to do the job, so that we don't have to pay you any sort of severance when we fired you. Yeah, because you quit. Yeah, I mean, yeah, it's okay, that's your life that you want you all the Also, this is not a new invention. This is what bosses have been doing for a long time. But the idea that they're like putting it in the same category as quiet quitting is a very predictable.
Speaker 2: It's like, yeah, they're like like being able to say, like, hey man, you can do it morally. If there's quiet quitting, there's silent firing managerial class. Now go do your thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a story about Gladiator two. Gladiator two is a film that's coming sooner than I realized. It's only coming out in a couple weeks November twenty second. I was not here for the episode where you guys watched the trailer. Just watch the trailer.
Speaker 2: What do you think?
Speaker 1: Man excited that it feels like they've gone like maximal list. Oh you know with Maximus's story, they've gone maximal list. It looks bonkers, Like it looks like they were just like, let's just like to put wild idea.
Speaker 2: What if we flooded the coliseum and put sharks in it and then do naval battles? Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Ye're trying to think of like the equivalent movie that like Rambo one, which was called first Blood, not Rambo one, but like it was this like gritty thing that was supposed to be like about PTSD, and I think he kills like one person, and then the second one is like a superhero movie where he's like this unkillable person who defeats the entire Vietnamese army that is still like at yeah, so it's like it's kind of he's.
Speaker 2: He's righting some wrongs.
Speaker 1: Jack, Yeah, can we get to win this time?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Me? Do we get? It's like that combined with Gremlins two, Like Gremlins two where they just like introduce their like what fuck it, dude, Like the first Gremlins movie is like and then we'll have this one gremlin Stripe who's like a little different and the other ones and as wild. They're like, all right, this time we're gonna have like three Wu Tang clans worth of Gremlins that all have like unique personalities that will fuck your world up. You won't be able to keep track of them. But uh, each each shot will introduce a new type of Gremlin that that kind of feels like what we've gone just complete over the top maximalism. I The one thing is like, I for some reason, I heard Denzel was in it. I heard Pedro Pascal was in it, and I had just pre cast the movie as like Pedro Pascal is going to be in the Maximus Oh role. Okay, yeah, yeah, Paul Muscal instead is in the Pedro Pescal role. H But people who've gone to early screening seem to be enjoying him. It just feels like one of those movies where they're like double the action, double the characters, right, that's not atars, Yeah, but I don't know when some of the character that they're introducing are sharks. Yes, please, yes, please, of course.
Speaker 2: I just like that. Now in the Hollywood Reporter, there's a thing that said Gladiator Too is quote total Hollywood bullshit. Top historian snaps.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know about this. I don't like that.
Speaker 2: No shit. Also, like, where's this where's this energy for like every other fucking historical film, right, Like, and I get it that it's you were talking about fucking navy battleship battles and sharks in the water, Like, yeah, we get it. We're not here for the fuck. I didn't go there to be like, what do you mean? This isn't Ken Burns's Gladiator too, right?
Speaker 1: They I mean, so what they've done, they've taken a thing that blew my mind when I first learned about it. They held naval battles in the arena. They flood the arena and hold naval battles in it. And I always assumed, well, the first Gladiator didn't have that detail in it because it seems too over the top to be believed. Right, They were like, Okay, well, if we're gonna do that, like, we might as well throw some fucking killer sharks in the water. Why not?
Speaker 2: Fuck it? If there's water, we gotta well, obviously you got a heighten it. Like everything has to present some kind of like threat, like because if you're knocked off the boat, like you don't want to be not you fucking die, bro, the shark will fucking eat your what was it bite your whole shit? What was your whole Yeah, it'll bite your whole shit like Jack like it was Forehold and then Jack O'Brian prophecies.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But I wonder though, too, if did they write this just because like just thinking about the Roman Empire is like such a meme thing that they're like, we got someone who's a historian on all things Roman Empire, and they say, hold onto your butts, bros. That it's not accurate. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know, man. I'm I'm excited to watch this movie, and it's not just because I'm trying to get that bucket too. Yeah, the bucket looks awesome everything right. Yeah, the early reviews from humans not necessarily critics. I haven't talked to or read all the critical reviews, but a lot of people seem to be receiving it quite warmly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if your expectations are where they need to be, which is you're going to see just a fucking extravaganza box office you know, tent pole kind of film. They pulled out all the stops. Then, yeah, I'm not expecting to see like great story. I mean, Denzel doesn't even his character isn't even he's not even doing a character in his performance. No, with that, that's fine. I know what I'm getting into. Denzel's gonna be like, ahh, so you're a gladiator and it's like yeah, sure, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it looks like just a classic Denzel Washington as Denzel Washington character.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's him at his best.
Speaker 1: Finally, we're going to bid a fond farewell to the voice of AOL's iconic You've Got Mail.
Speaker 2: You've Got Mail.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that guy passed away at seventy four. Name before was Ellwood Edwards. Fucking great name, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Elo, Elwood Edwards, the wild shit. He only made two hundred dollars for that gig?
Speaker 1: Is that real?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Fucking capitalism, So cool.
Speaker 2: You've Got Mail, Wild's done, good goodbye, and to you we bid you Elwood Edwards goodbye.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh man, the number of Morning Zoo shows that are making that joke, I feel like they'd be more respectful, to be honest, we're going through some shiit so yeah sorry, yeah.
Speaker 2: We're working some shit out in real time.
Speaker 1: Sorry, fuck at the morning zoo. Yeah, I do wonder like, is he the most heard voice of the past like forty years, Like what could have been? I guest Siri Aleta.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's got to be one of those at this point. But for people of a certain age, I think we all grew up with that, or even just the sound of like the chat when someone would like enter on an instemester door open. Yeah, yep, that shit too. Those are those are goaded sound effects from my mind.
Speaker 1: That door is actually working at porn now. You can see it in the background of a bunch of Yeah all right. Those are some of the things that are trending on this Thursday, November seventh. We are back tomorrow with a whole last episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourselves, get the vaccine, get your flu shots, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to you all tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Bye bye.