Speaker 1: Smell us Now, lady, welcome to meat Eater Trivia Meat Eater Podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to me Eater Radio Live. It's just about eleven am on August twenty second, and we'd live from me Eater headquarters in bows in Montana. Today I'm in the primary host seat, which will not always be the case. It's a revolving set of hosts and I'll explain that in a minute. But today I'm joined here by Jannis and doctor Randall. And if you have any questions about whether this is truly live or not, Randall, where can someone go right now to see a dead bear?
Speaker 3: Westbound nine ninety just down from the front of road exit as you're going up the path.
Speaker 2: There you have it. That bear is laying there dead right now. Drive over, take a look and confirm that you're watching a live show. On today's show, we'll call my friend Heather duville A. It's a very hard word to say. She schooled me on an upcoming podcast. Flink it. I just say cling it, but it's fling it. I can't do it. She'll do it. A Tlingkett hunter and fisher gal from Alaska. In order to we're gonna take you on a visit a live visit to her smokehouse. Then we're gonna discuss some wild game cooking projects that folks got coming up this week here, followed by the launch of a segment we're developing that will be strictly for the live show, the radio show, which will be hunting and fishing tattoos I regret. The inaugural one is going to feature our very own Chester the Divester, And then we're gonna pitch you guys to start submitting and come on as a guest on Radio Live to showcase hunting and fishing tattoos you regret. Then we're gonna go in do a hot tip off, and we're gonna call my buddy John Hayes and pay a visit to his taxidermy studio live and we're gonna see one of the world's biggest moose that is currently in said studio at the Hayes Taxidermy Studio. But first let me tell you more about what this new show is. So every Thursday, eleven am Mountain Time on the Meat Eater podcast network on the YouTube channel, you will join in for live The audio version of this show will then drop on the Meat Eater podcast feed on Friday morning, so tomorrow you'll be able to just go listen to the show as a regular podcast on the feed. But if you want to watch live, this is where you go right now to watch it live at the Media Podcast Network. It's a one hour variety show. Segments, call in guests, live visits to cool places, live audience engagement. Why would we do this, Well, since these shows have such a quick turn, we'll be able to better discuss current events in the world of hunting, fishing, conservation, the outdome where you can watch fresh takes on fresh news instead of things being delayed, which is the case in the podcast world. And we'll also be able to talk about what is happening right now, like if there's a dead bear in the highway right now, you'll know it's there right now. First thing we're gonna do today, though, as we jump into to Radio Live, is we're gonna throw it to Giannis to tell us where he came from. Right now.
Speaker 1: I had a check up one week check up after I had a surgery last week. And the surgery I had is called a blation and a phlebectomy. It's kind of two and one but it was basically to remove varicose veins from my leg.
Speaker 2: I've been looking at those veins since I've met you, right, and you know these little bulbs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and now we just thought it was like a sign of strength, that I must just be really fast and I work out, you know, plenty and run plenty. But it turns out, you know, you have a breakdown in the walls of the veins and they expand. Your skin can't keep them nice and tight, so they actually quit work it. They some doctors think, including our doctor, there could be a cause of some of my cramping that I have in my left leg when I do long runs. So I tried compression stockings to try to fix it. Didn't seem to fix it, so we went to the route of removing them. Two things I want to say about it. One, when you get them removed, they offer you you can take an anxiety pill, like a Prozac or something. I think is that what they give you?
Speaker 2: I think that what it is. But okay, they probably give you something really quick acting at a van or something.
Speaker 1: Well, I want to say it was prozac. Is that not anti anxiety?
Speaker 2: Anyways, It's not a thing you take right for right now.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, maybe maybe they maybe you take an hour or fifty percent of the people decide to take it, fifty percent don't.
Speaker 4: I didn't.
Speaker 1: They pumped me full of local anesthetic, about three hundred milli liters of it, which is a lot, like so much that you just feel it dripping all over your legs when he starts cutting and pulling. So the ablation, he just goes in there with a catheter and basically burns and kills the greater sapnous vein. Then he goes in with little I didn't get to watch. They wouldn't let me watch. But he would cut and pull out the actual veins that were bulging out, the ones you've been looking at.
Speaker 2: Why couldn't you watch?
Speaker 1: They just recommend against it because it's just too intense.
Speaker 2: I guess. Yeah, they didn't let me watch. My uh vast sctmy.
Speaker 1: Oh, I didn't ask about that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, go on.
Speaker 1: But when he's when he was pulling to get those veins to pop, let me see your arm, your try step, I need to pop them out more like you can feel that, Yeah, and then all of a sudden.
Speaker 5: It go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he did that about thirty times and you just show us some gross pictures. Yeah, so that was interesting. Part number one. Here are the photos of what he took out of me. It's actually a little video.
Speaker 2: Wo see we were are people within our own organization advises to not show these photos.
Speaker 6: The lane branch is up top.
Speaker 2: Here and then it's like a living your leg YOHNI. Yeah, you can catch big old perch on that man.
Speaker 1: Oh guaranteed branches if you look close. I felt like the closest thing that I said that they were reminding me of was Hawkcaser. If you want to make some really really small sausages, you could with with my uh, with my little Vericos mains.
Speaker 4: And how you feel now all that's out of your leg?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm severely bruised right now. The inside of my leg is we got a little yellow purple, But otherwise I'm cleared. I'm going backpacking tomorrow afternoon. Good for you, Ray.
Speaker 4: Rip power of Western medicine really quick.
Speaker 7: We've got some people debating whether or not this is truly live. So uh, Tom, Tom, the go look at the damn dead bear. Well, some people don't live. I'm touching this scump Tom from my space I guess, well believe it's a life of Randall passed his head and rubs his belly.
Speaker 8: Tom, he's a skeptic. All right, we're going down people what they want? Okay, We're going down to Heather du Ville head. We're gonna We're gonna visit Heather du Ville smoke House, which is the coolest damn smoke house on the planet. If you father Heath, if you follow Heather on Instagram, it's at a K moosey So a K m o O s I E when they say smoke when she says smokehouse, it's a smoke house.
Speaker 4: It's not some little smoker. Heather, what's up?
Speaker 9: Good morning? I hope I have good enough service out here. And also we're gonna be talking about food following the Vericos vein.
Speaker 3: And segment place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got smoke those veins, Okay, so walk us through what you got, Heather. I want I want to see I want to see the smokehouse.
Speaker 9: Okay, So I'm joining you from my smokehouse. It sits on flingt Anie, good job. Steve Flinkett actually means people of the tides. That's the name of my tribe. And Annie means land, So I'm here on our ancestral homelands, and it's only fitting that I'm going.
Speaker 10: To show you.
Speaker 1: That on a map.
Speaker 9: Uh flingett Annie spans a distance of all of southeast Alaska, so all of southeast is our traditional homelands. But I'm located what is now called Prince of Wales Island in Craig. This is the outside of my smokehouse. Red cedar steaks for the roof, and you could hopefully you can see there's a copper ridge cap which reaches out and keeps any moss I'm growing on the roof, so hopefully it'll last a really long time. Uh Steve, you'd appreciate this. I have my fish draining basket, which I beach combed. A lot of these things float over from overseas.
Speaker 2: You stole my beach comb fish basket, it would be at.
Speaker 10: The fish shaft.
Speaker 9: And yeah, here's the outside. We actually have some fish that I'm going to be smoking soon, and you could see the spruce stick set up here. We hang the fish strips over spruce sticks because they're strong, they can hold a lot of weight and they don't affect the taste of your fish like cedar stick wood and let me show you the inside.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, fascinating.
Speaker 1: What's heather? What's the most common fish that you're going to smoke in this thing?
Speaker 9: It depends on the season, so we we do smoke, you know. We start the season with king salmon and then saky and right now it's co host season, so yeah, and then in the fall we smoke deer seal meat. And this is a cold smoking method, so it's different from what some people might be familiar with, which is a mostly hot smoking. So I have a fire pit in the ground. It's actually a truck rip that my cousin gave me. It's covered with a tin and the tin is perfectly bent here. It took about three tries to get the perfect bend in that tin. So just the smoke will come out and it won't heat up the smokehouse and cook the fish because we don't want it to be cooked. And I have a shelf here with a fan that oscillates, so that'll rotate the smoke, and a cat track here because some salmon types are softer, so they're more prone to fall off the stick, like cose pretty soft, but skey, it's a little firmer, and then you could see the belly pieces here. I cut in doubles, and typically the firmer fish like sake, we'd cut all the strips in doubles so you can fit twice as many fish in your smokehouse. But since this is coho, I cut the rest in singles, make them a little bit stronger so they don't fall. And then I have the backbone here and also the heads, so I split the heads. And after these are cold smoked, they can be baked or boiled. And this cartilage here in the nose, it'll get soft. It's really good to eat baked or make boiled fish head soup topped with seaweed. So we kind of follow three Golden rules, which is only take what you need, use as much of what you take as possible, and then share more than what you keep. So I'll be sharing this with elders and friends and family. You can see I have a bunch of older stacked up here, dried, and I'm getting ready to light the fire soon, but I didn't want to do that and smoke you guys out.
Speaker 2: Heather Man, Sorry, it looks like we just lost Heather on how she accidentally Oh, she's back. Oh Heather, you cut out for a minute. But man, I really appreciate the tour. It was awesome people that are watching now. We recorded a podcast, a regular podcast that'll be coming out with Heather, where we spend a lot of time talking about her culture and and and I'll tell you that experience of meeting Heather and talking to Heather h really has caused me to rethink so many things things uh her Heather's view and formed by her culture on like just resource extraction, resource utilization has has like caused me to do a bunch of soul searching and face up to the reality that her culture is just cooler than ours. It's just it's like she's explained this when when this podcast comes out with Heather, she's explained this thing of when when when setting halibate hooks, they set hooks in pairs and you invite the hooks to compete and you send the hook down saying your your friend is coming to fight you. It's just like it just it's like, man, just invited me to consider this whole way of just viewing the people around you, viewing the material goods around you, inviting like life and vibrancy into the things you do in the outdoors. Just very impactful. And Heather, thanks so much. We will talk to you very soon. And thanks for a tour to smoke House. All right, bye bye. You got it.
Speaker 4: You're gonna be a regular on Live.
Speaker 1: This this sets us up for a much better segue.
Speaker 3: Than the medical waste to uh smoking fish.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, okay, uh Johny, we're gonna go into that. We're gonna go into meat Eater Menu and we're gonna talk about what's cooking right now.
Speaker 11: Ready, Hey, sword wrap may taste like punkin pine, but I never know because I wouldn't eat the.
Speaker 2: Filter money, mamma.
Speaker 1: That's right, Meet Eater Menu. We're gonna talk about what we've been cooking lately, what we're planning to cook, what's in the freezer, what we pulled out of the freezer, et cetera. I brought two things. It's kind of like a show and tell I did where I have been. I did a It was actually during our super hot spell that we had. This is when this project started, like two weeks ago, and we had one of those you know, week long spells of nearly a hundred degrees.
Speaker 4: I missed the whole thing freezing as.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 1: I thought what better thing to do than do a freezer clean out? Yep, right, so I pulled my freezers out of the garage, got him like out into the sun, because you.
Speaker 2: Knew everything was just gonna get cry out.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, exactly Like once I pulled the meat and just put it in coolers and left it in the cold spot in the garage, and the freezers came out into a hundred degree he I mean, you could just watch the ice melt, and plus it was comfortable to stand in front of the freezer. That led me to going, holy shit, do I have a bunch of meat still that needs to get processed and eaten? And thought, man, let's do a giant batch of jerky. H Carlt Henderson for a recipe, he told me a new one he's been doing is just marinating his meat strips in sweet chili tie sauce. Comes out good. I didn't go that round, just that, just that he.
Speaker 2: Is a little sharkootree fellow.
Speaker 9: Man.
Speaker 1: I know someone yesterday asked me, why would you call Brody about jerky? And I go, man, look at his Instagram. There's nobody that posts about more jerky than Brody.
Speaker 2: Balder in Hell, but like really good on sharkutr. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I went to the new Meter out Door Cookbook and went to Kola ancho jerky. Now this holds true for both of the things I'm going to talk about, is that this is like an outdoor smoker jerky recipe. But I don't have a smoker. Yeah, so I just did the recipe and just put it into my dehydrator. Worked just fine. I also didn't have any ancho chili powder kicking around, but what I did have was Kashmiri chili powder. So followed the recipe as is otherwise, but just used the Kashmiri chili instead of it. And you want to try it chunk please, Randall.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't get any. Yesterday.
Speaker 2: We were talking about jerky the ore day and I was reminiscent of how we used to make it when I was young.
Speaker 4: Is no one trimmed it good?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, and you'd work up a nice first off, we wouldn't trim it good. And then my dad took the dryer motor out of a dryer a dishwasher and made a big plywood box and it was powered by that that thing's still sit in my mom's house, a big huge thing, seven eight racks, and it powered by a dishwashing yeah, with a heating elmet from a dryer in there. And we would not trim it right. And I associate jerky with you eat the jerky and then you have a cut and you can chew that cud for hours. It's that little gob of all the connective tissue and eventually you can take it apart and losh your teeth, wash your teeth with a little cud, or just spit the cut out like and I used to use viewed as a negative, but I missed that cut.
Speaker 1: I like the teeth floss in part guaranteed if any meat I eat anymore afterwards, I'm going, man, I wish I had some floss or you know, nice toothpick or something. Well, what's cool about this racipal I like to mention is that the anchoed chili dust or whatever chili dust you decide to put on, happens after marinating process. So you like lay out all the meat and then you dust it with a garlic and chili dust thing. So my kids were like, uh uh, we don't want any of that spicy shit. So I just did half of it with just marinated and it's basically like a souped up coca cola that you're marinating it in and without the dust. It's just like a sweet basic jerky that the kids love. And then I have half of it. It's more like this, which is not extremely spicy, but just a little sweet heat.
Speaker 6: It's nice.
Speaker 1: But speaking of the tendony stuff, I have gone to only using my nice hole cut muscles, chunks for this, top rounds, bottom rounds, surloins, all that kind of stuff for my jerky because anymore, anytime I do stew, I'm a neck and shank guy for the stew meat.
Speaker 4: You know where you're a little bit wrong.
Speaker 1: You like to grind it.
Speaker 4: You're a little bit wrong. You know what the clod is?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like if you folks at home or picture in a shoulder blade, I wish I had a scapulo.
Speaker 1: You think we'd have one in here?
Speaker 2: One thing not in here, the clod, Like you know, the scapula has that little ridge that runs on the outside.
Speaker 4: The clod lays in there.
Speaker 2: It's like if God didn't want you to make jerky, he wouldn't have put that little clod on there. That is a good jerky cut.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's also an excellent cut if you take out that that there's a there's a literally a whole thick flap of silver skin that runs through the middle of it.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: If you filay it like a fish and get that out of there and just grill that, it's an extremely good cut of meat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I gotcha.
Speaker 7: Well, we we had a discussion about nepotism a few weeks ago on Trivia. Speaking of Spencer, Newhart is asking, I thought we pull him up. Stephen Randall rate the jerky on a scale from one to ten.
Speaker 4: Mmm, oh six, okay, little chewie, little chewy it is ten good.
Speaker 2: Tens ten's good.
Speaker 9: Oka.
Speaker 3: Uh, I'll do a seven.
Speaker 1: Thanks Randall.
Speaker 4: You had it's good.
Speaker 3: No, it's good. The flavor.
Speaker 4: I'm not here to fluff.
Speaker 2: This guy up.
Speaker 1: Spencer tried it yesterday and said he liked the dryness because he thinks that he gets a lot of jerky that is not dry enough, which, sure it might chew better, but it has ship for preservation. Yeah, like this jerky you could ride. It can ride in your pack. Probably all fall not gonna be a problem.
Speaker 2: That's why I like a real jerky, A real jerky. If you want to talk about a ten, you gotta get Jesse Griffiths jerky. That's ten.
Speaker 1: I'll call him next time. Everything else falls next recipe got.
Speaker 3: Uh, I've got last night's dinner, which was Are.
Speaker 2: We gonna see it?
Speaker 3: I believe so, Phil, Oh, yeah, so this.
Speaker 2: Is a you poached that out last night?
Speaker 3: No, I wish Uh this is last Falls bull. I guess this past Falls Bowl. So in October we're just finishing him up. And uh had some steaks in the Sioux vid did a little butter and uh, oh, there's a nice plating. We did a little butter and some herbs and uh some of that savory seasoning from mamafuku.
Speaker 1: Oh that stuff's good.
Speaker 3: And then uh patted a dry, added a little more of that seasoning, threw it on the grill at like five hundred and uh just for like a minute or two, and then slice it up. Got some broccolini there, local, I think and saw.
Speaker 1: Tell me what credit was again?
Speaker 3: I think it was. I think it was just like a top rown Okay, yeah, how long was like in like the last two packages labeled steak.
Speaker 2: When do you say we You mean you and missus doctor Randall.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, she set up the soux v'd before she left for work, and then I did the rest when I got home.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: You know what made me feel so uh kind of put in my place is we had yeah not yah yang but yeah yang. Huh what is it? Oh vong? Okay, not yah yang, yeah vong. I'm pissing every munk dude off on the planet right now. Apologies of the mung community, but y'all's names sound the same, so uh much apology. He ate dinner at my house. We're having dinner at my house and I was talking about sue V and he's like, he's like, hello, you know the year two thousand once is technique back? I had no idea. Yeah, he's it's dated. Dated. Chefs have moved on, so convenient.
Speaker 4: Chefs have moved down. Now here are you good?
Speaker 9: On?
Speaker 2: App?
Speaker 4: I am so you and the missus adahole elk in the year.
Speaker 2: That's great.
Speaker 3: Well, we still have a bit of uh you dogs left Yeah, I said dogs a little bit.
Speaker 2: They eat a little bit, but and you shared some with people.
Speaker 3: We run through the stakes really quick. No, we didn't share any really.
Speaker 2: Really, you didn't follow Heather's things share.
Speaker 3: I know, I think I could benefit from including more worldviews in my approach to life.
Speaker 2: Well have you read well? But listen?
Speaker 1: That is like a tricky thing, I think for sort of the American hunter, because you know, you could say you share it when you do hunters for the hungry programs, And.
Speaker 2: I'm not talking about that kind of sharing. Hand delivering recipe ready, hand delivering recipe ready finished stuff for people's enjoyment, not talking about trying to get something off my get it off my hands.
Speaker 1: I know it's two different things, but there's obviously a gray area in there, and I just think that it's great. I was also very happy to hear her talk about that, and uh, you know, I like to give it all a lot away myself, and I do it more for the reasons that you know that you would give it away. But sometimes I do feel a little back because I'm like, man, maybe just me and my family should be eating everything we harvested.
Speaker 2: I gift out recipe ready premium cuts to people I care about and love and my neighbors, not that I don't care about love them, but I just like to generate neighborly good Yeah, as my neighbors, and there's reciprocity.
Speaker 3: Knowing the love that you include. I feel a lot different about the red snapper that you gave me.
Speaker 2: I gave him.
Speaker 4: Did I give you like some old rotten red snapper?
Speaker 2: Or I give you a flay?
Speaker 3: Gave me a couple flays?
Speaker 1: Speaking of people we love.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, I haven't done my thing.
Speaker 1: Phil's gonna do the thing. It was my job to do the thing.
Speaker 4: No, I haven't done.
Speaker 2: I wanted to. Phil hasn't showed my picture. Oh yeah, as further outvotes that were live. That's my deep fryer right now, and flip if you went to my house and dug in my fridge, that's my fridge right now. That's my daughter's turkey breast and a little light brine on the left for tonight's dinner. That's a big tub of my garden potatoes, which I'm giving a soak right now to get someone to start out, because we're gonna fry him tonight when my buddy Tony and his family come over for dinner, my kids the yard night where we're digging potatoes and my kids there night tried to invent this dish they said is a thing from McDonald's. They took the potatoes, boiled Yukon gold potatoes, made mashed potatoes with them, rolled those mashed potatoes into a ball. I don't think this is at McDonald's, but they think it is. Rolled those potatoes into a ball, then rolled that ball of mashed potatoes in panco and then drop them. Can go back to the deep fryer, drop them, and that bad mother liquor right there.
Speaker 1: What they think they're making is a breakfast hash brown at McDonald's.
Speaker 10: I know.
Speaker 2: I tried to explain it's different than that, but I haven't got to the punchline yet.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: First off, that table that that deep friar is sitting on. Me and my old man cut those trees down and had that lumbrell milled, and after he died, I made that table out of it. Now, the thing is, they put this thing they made in air, and it's so funny. They went out and lifted the basket up. Guess what was in the basket?
Speaker 3: A mouse?
Speaker 2: Nothing? All that potato dissolved. They lift the basket out and it was like it took them a minute to register they thought someone had come and taken their stuff. It just dissolved. The basket came out empty and we had to go strain all the oil and it was just like, yeah, they ate some of the junk they found in the bottom. Later when we strained oil like McDonald's, it evaporated.
Speaker 1: Couldn't take the heat.
Speaker 2: No, okay, moving on tattoos. I regret? Is Chester joining us or not?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: He is?
Speaker 2: Chester? Can we Chester?
Speaker 1: There is?
Speaker 2: How do I get it up?
Speaker 9: There?
Speaker 2: There is Chester, Twbury where you're at.
Speaker 10: I'm sitting here in Wisconsin.
Speaker 5: I was actually just listening to all your food makes me pretty hungry.
Speaker 2: Husting's going in Wisconsin? Chester tell us the story of the tattoo you regret. Because here's just a reminder to people. What we want to do is this is gonna be a recurring segment. We're gonna be joined by people from around the country who have a hunting and fishing tattoo they regret, and we're gonna start with holding up. We're gonna start with Chester's. Chester tell us the story of how you thought it was a good idea and what you had in mind when you had a man's scrolledum tattooed on your arm.
Speaker 5: Well, let me tell you it wasn't supposed to be.
Speaker 10: A man scrolled them.
Speaker 5: Danielle, my wife and I were in Hawaii on a little honeymoon type deal and we ended up having a few too many my ties or pina coladas. We decided we should go get some tattoos. So we walk in this very tourist kind of trap tattoo establishment and I kind of pulled up a t additional spadefly that's what that's what this is supposed to be right here, mm hmm. And my wife got a wave and I got this and it was incredibly expensive for what it is. They knew some suckers. How much they knew we were suckers when we walked in the door. I don't know, I can't remember, but for like a couple of lines, I want to say it was like almost four hundred dollars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's probably what I paid for a vast ectomy. You know what you need to do. I just added some little lines. You need to get go and get little can you see it good?
Speaker 10: I can see it? That's bad?
Speaker 2: Get little little pube Linds on there.
Speaker 3: So do you think Chester when when did you first realize that you'd you'd gotten a bad tattoo?
Speaker 5: Look, I just want to clarify, I don't think it's that bad.
Speaker 10: No, it's not right.
Speaker 2: It's just we're trying to launch the segment, so we need to act like it's worse than it is. So people with really bad hunting fishing tattoos come in. So it's like, I'm sorry, but we need to bill it as bad.
Speaker 5: It well, you know, at the right angle, it is bad. That's the first thing.
Speaker 1: Do you regret it?
Speaker 10: Do I regret it? I regret the price.
Speaker 2: You wish you had your four hundred bucks back you could put it in the bitcoin.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think I wish I would have had that four hundred bucks back, And I would like to think about the next tattoo I get a little bit more So, more of the story is think about it a little bit before you get something permanently on your body.
Speaker 2: Did you ever occurred to me did you hear the Chris Danny did Were you here for the Chris Danny episode.
Speaker 10: Of the podcast? Yeah, I loved it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where Chris Danny explained he's gotta he wears short sleeved shirts and so he had an Ace of Spades tattoos Dude high on his arm because he always wanted to have an ace up his sleep. He went where the homeless guy he met who at the last minute decided to get his ace on his face, even though it was inspired by a discussion to get an ace up his sleeve. Yeap, Yeah, So you gotta think about this kind of stuff you do.
Speaker 10: You definitely do, Phil.
Speaker 2: Where do people send in hunting fishing tattoos they regret?
Speaker 4: I got one.
Speaker 2: I still haven't got but I'm gonna get it, and then in a couple of years, I'm gonna do how I regret it, which is my Turkey super Slam.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: You've been talking about this super Slam tattoo for years now.
Speaker 2: Yep. I want it to happen. I'm gonna get it, and then I'm gonna come on and talk about how I shouldn't have gotten.
Speaker 3: We could do a tattoo you regret. Live in the studio, Karin.
Speaker 2: Do you got an email address yet?
Speaker 6: We do?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Sorry, let me radio if you have a hunting fish and tattoo you regret and you want to come on the show and show us about it and have us help you try to problem solve it, send send a message to to us at radio at the meat eater dot com. So our A d I O at the meat eater dot com Chester. Thanks for joining man and thanks for being the foil to help us launch our segment.
Speaker 10: Buddy, Yeah, no problem.
Speaker 2: How's your family doing in Wisconsin? You guys good?
Speaker 10: Oh yeah, we're great.
Speaker 5: Taking a little break from work, sitting outside. We're actually gonna be headed up north uh this weekend to do a little muskie and walleye fishing.
Speaker 2: Excellent.
Speaker 4: Good luck, buddy, miss you, love you, Talk.
Speaker 2: To you soon.
Speaker 10: Love you guys too. Yes, all right.
Speaker 2: From here, we're gonna move into uh, we're gonna move into hot tip offs, so hot tip offs where people give you their hottest hunting and fishing tip they can think of. We got. They're in competition with one another, just like the klinget might scent two Halbert hooks, and the Halbert hooks are supposed to compete with one another. Your friends coming to fight you these hot tip off, these hot tips are fighting each other. They're gonna compete. We're gonna go to the hot tip offs. We're gonna declare it winner. Phil Steven Marnella.
Speaker 12: My name is Matt Johnson, a Thorn Creek Tacks Jeremy, and this is another hot tip off.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I like this.
Speaker 6: We'll keep going.
Speaker 12: Okay, you go on.
Speaker 2: Welcome to another hot tip off.
Speaker 12: All right, welcome to another hot tip off.
Speaker 2: Pretty good job o more time.
Speaker 12: Well, welcome, welcome to another hot tip Okay, tell us now, so I use this actually called a flushing cone. This is just styrofoam. It has a bolt. I have a bolted to my bench. These are great for the fine detail work.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 13: I can stretch the nose over that. I can stretch the eyes over that. We got the ear right here, and I use a skyfe Some people use a razor. We're gonna use a beaber knife here because it's the same thing, and it gives me the opportunity to pull that tight so I can see what I'm.
Speaker 11: Doing and remove all this material and make less mistakes, whether that just clean hide. Who put that hole in that head?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 6: Some guy rookie. I think he's Matt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Spencer new Hearth.
Speaker 14: Hey, I'm Spencer new Heart, coming at you with a hot tip now.
Speaker 4: Like a lot of hunters, I.
Speaker 14: Have two freezers in my garage, and this one vertical freezer that I have is probably older than I am. And anyone who is messed with these old freezers knows that one of the first things to go is gonna be the seal on that door. Those things are super delicate. Sometimes it feels like just a slight breeze could blow that door open. And even if you have a crack like that much for a couple of days, you're gonna lose a lot of your stuff in there. And it's happened to me, and so that was why I was set on figuring out a cheap, easy way to solve that without just replacing the whole sealer getting a different freezer.
Speaker 6: Here it is.
Speaker 14: I have placed childlocks on my freezer, one at the top, one at the bottom.
Speaker 2: They are easy, easy off.
Speaker 14: As long as you got one of these things on here, Never again are you gonna have the case where you forget to close the door all the way, somebody bumps it when they're walking by. Whatever, you get it cracked like that, you're gonna lose a bunch of stuff. So I put these childblocks on. Child blocks on They're like.
Speaker 6: Ten bucks from Amazon.
Speaker 14: Such a simple solution, as he can see from this cruddy seal I have on here. It's happened to me before, but never again. Just get one of those.
Speaker 6: Another hot tip. Hot tip number two, build your wife some shoe storage.
Speaker 2: In the crowd. Lord, I love that.
Speaker 14: You'll get a lot more days and field this fall. So there's my hot tip.
Speaker 1: What did he say, organize your wife's shoes.
Speaker 2: He built shoe racks for his wife and his garage, and it made her so happy that he could. He's saying he can, he can duck out more often and she'll still be He bought the shoe wreck all right, Spencer.
Speaker 1: I like both hot tips, but Spencer wins because it is it can be used by everybody.
Speaker 4: It's for everybody.
Speaker 3: I liked yours because you had two hot tips. One how to introduce the segment, yeah, and two that the fleshing car.
Speaker 1: Listen. I've been doing hot tip offs with Steve for a long time. The way Steve explains the hot tip off to the person giving the hot tip always culminates in the person starting the first one. Like that, you explain how to do it every time, and they never do it a second time.
Speaker 4: I know they never do it.
Speaker 2: I'm saying, say this, welcome to another hot tip off, and they'll go, here's another hot tip off.
Speaker 1: So you gotta work on how you present it.
Speaker 2: I think, no, I do. I say it just right. Spencer wins.
Speaker 4: Now listen, Okay, sorry, Matt Randall.
Speaker 2: I'm just gonna do my vote. Then you guys do your vote, or Randall, you do your vote.
Speaker 3: You know, I actually I'm also going to vote for Spencer. I thought I know where it was going. I thought he was going to have a ratchet strap. I've done that myself in the garage with an old freezer.
Speaker 2: That it's a little extreme, but yeah.
Speaker 3: Well I just child locks would have never occurred to me, so I appreciated. I thought I knew where was going. Then he had a tip that really blew my mind.
Speaker 1: Spencer Johanni, Oh yeah, I already said, Spencer wins.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll tell you why, Spencer wins. I'm gonna qualify it. I had never seen when I was in Matt's tax at Durmy studio, I had never seen a fleshing cone. And if anyone in the rare person that does any fleshing, it's a really good way to It solves an annoyance, which is when you're let's see, I can't I have to explain for it's for it solves a problem for a very small amount of people. One you have to be someone that does a lot of fleshing, and two you have to be someone that hadn't heard of that. M hm and I don't were those two things meet. I don't think there's many more people than just me.
Speaker 3: Right, there's a lot of freezers out there that are falling apart.
Speaker 2: Listen, this year I had my my wife was sending my kids up to our Alaska shack. They had to fly unaccompanied minor. I got everything in the freezer. I was like, they need to bring this stuff up. I love her to death. She didn't close damn freezer. I lost some stuff in the door before she realized that the freezer hadn't been shut. She was blaming it on some stupid lock on there, that child lock he's talking about. She would have absolutely win. That's a hot tip off. I like it. Spencer wins.
Speaker 3: Congrat Spencer, I know you're watching.
Speaker 2: That's the consensus in the comments as well.
Speaker 1: Good job, Spencer.
Speaker 13: All right.
Speaker 2: John Hayes going over to John Hayes and his taxi jermy studio. What's up, John Hayes?
Speaker 6: How much? How you guys doing this morning?
Speaker 2: Good man? Thanks for joining us, buddy. So tell us about the tell Us about the moose you're working on as a giant.
Speaker 15: Yes, we're getting ready to cut the antlers off and do detachables on it here next week.
Speaker 4: I have word, where did it come out of?
Speaker 6: Came out of the Yukon territory.
Speaker 2: Number six in the world, yep, and.
Speaker 6: He harvested number three in the world this past time.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's definitely on a roll.
Speaker 15: When he sent two seasons ago, I received it and I was like, I was amazed.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's an impressive bowl. And I was like, what do you want done with it?
Speaker 15: And he said, I don't know, I'm not really too excited about it.
Speaker 6: I might just get rid of it. What Oh? I was like really?
Speaker 15: And so he tells me that he saw the moose of his dreams and it walked behind a clump of brush and he got a positioned, it stepped out, he shot, it fell down and then the bigger one came out.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 6: Fish stories, And.
Speaker 15: I should have seen the one that got away kind of deal. Well then he gets he's like I got it. I was like, wow, So.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you've got to be kidding me.
Speaker 1: This guy serious about his moose. Hun, Can you give us some rough specs, tell us what an average moose kind of size is, and then tell us his specs of the this one.
Speaker 15: Like an average like a moose, you would find a montana like a shiris.
Speaker 1: No no, no, no, comparable to like an Alaskan comparable to this one, but average antler size. And then how much bigger is this?
Speaker 9: Well?
Speaker 15: I have two of them here. I have one that's probably a little better than average, and.
Speaker 6: You can see it right here, got it? H five feet? And then this is the other one.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's almost as tall as I am next to it.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, and you're tall.
Speaker 6: And it's got drop tigns on the back. Yeah massive.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: How much is that thing?
Speaker 2: Weigh?
Speaker 6: Ninety four pounds?
Speaker 2: Ninety four pounds of antler? And then and then it's got a what's spread? It's got a seventy three inch spread.
Speaker 6: I think seventy two.
Speaker 2: How do you get through the brush, dude?
Speaker 1: You don't you go through the brush? Yeah, you just be just bust brush.
Speaker 2: Now, John, I'm going to ask you a thing, and I don't, and there's people listening. So you got to be honest because I could picture what a dishonest person would say. I'm going to ask you if you get nervous working on a really trophy specimen and you're going to tell me, oh, no, I treat all mounts the same. I always bring great detail and care to all mounts. But I want to know the truth. Did you get nervous working on like a like a bull of a lifetime, a bull of many lifetimes?
Speaker 6: Honestly, on a bit like a big moose.
Speaker 15: No, I wouldn't be nervous about that to say it was like a record book, life sized cat or prepar or something a lot more complex of a piece. Yeah, you definitely really want to pay attention and don't rush through anything. But on a shoulder mount like this, it's pretty straightforward to take care of it. Use a good form always seems to come together.
Speaker 2: You know what I want to do with you in the future on the next time. What you call you for live is if you could have a way that There's something I struggle with is when I look at a bad whitetail mount mm hm. I don't have the vocabulary to explain why it's bad, right, So I want you to think about a segment where you help people understand when you're looking at a white tail that's not right, Like what's not right?
Speaker 15: Yeah, it's usually an anatomical incorrectness, And like you may not know the word or how to say it, but anybody can spot one that looks like it's actually a lie versus a poorly executed mount, or it looks more cartoonish.
Speaker 2: Got it. And then with that moose, what are you going? What how's that moose going to go? What are you gonna? What is it gonna be doing? Or is it going to be grunting?
Speaker 6: Just a semi sneak shoulder, got it?
Speaker 15: Like I said, pretty straightforward, but trying to get it too complex, Like we have to have the antler's removable so we can even get it in and out of his house.
Speaker 2: Got it? Oh, so the moose will be you have to make a big moose like that that you can disassemble it.
Speaker 15: Yeah, yeah, and so like uh, like the one that we did for Snazze, we were able to do just one side detachable because they had double doors, but this one, the guy just has a stand door, so there's no way even with just.
Speaker 6: One antler on, it will never make it into his house. We have to be.
Speaker 2: Like, it's like it's like getting a mount from Ikia. You got to put it back together when you get it.
Speaker 6: Hopefully it'll be more simple than that though.
Speaker 2: All right, how are things generally at Hayes Taxidermy Studio?
Speaker 15: Man, honestly, it's usually pretty good, pretty pretty chill crew here, Thank god, no drama. And everybody this comes in, we all, we all are on the same enjoyment level.
Speaker 6: We all love doing it. The ones that didn't turn no longer with us, so that's always good. Every positive attitude.
Speaker 15: Everybody's excited to see stuff get completed, so that's always fun.
Speaker 3: And we are you ready? Are you ready for the onslaught of the fall season?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 3: I know, Sorry, I didn't mean to bring up the source subject one of.
Speaker 15: My favorite questions, Like when they're like what do you do? And I'm like, oh, I'm a taxidermist, Like well, what else do you do? Like anything? Free time, hobby time, let alone his second job. It's uh yeah, and the push is coming. It'll be here soon soonner than I think probably.
Speaker 2: Corin, tell me, can I see that again? But you just roll Krin. There's a bad boon in there right now. I don't want to see that bad boot. Let me let me see that bad boon.
Speaker 6: You want me to flip the cameras. It's more like plair witch projects.
Speaker 2: We're going yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I want to see I don't even know.
Speaker 4: Let me look, kats we take.
Speaker 2: Look, here we go.
Speaker 1: There ain't no bad boon.
Speaker 2: So this is that big ass bull.
Speaker 6: There's that moose.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you keep your phone horizontal the.
Speaker 6: Here you go like that?
Speaker 4: No you got it?
Speaker 2: No, God, look at that thing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's it's it's a dandy.
Speaker 15: Got a bunch of hyenas in the other day, a bunch of different African stuff, and we got some leopards that came in.
Speaker 2: Wow, this one bad thing.
Speaker 6: I love this one. This should be a really pretty mountain.
Speaker 2: That is amazing.
Speaker 6: But now let's uh, let's make our way through.
Speaker 15: Well then, actually, one of the blondest black bears I've ever seen came in today, showed up this morning.
Speaker 2: I got one better next, it's been sitting out in my Uh, it's been sitting out in our Uh it's been outside for a lot of years.
Speaker 4: It's more blonde than that. Now this is my big outdoor window.
Speaker 6: Thought the best way to get one. So this is the guy's work.
Speaker 2: Oh man, beautiful.
Speaker 6: And this is Scott Brewer. He works for us.
Speaker 2: It's up Scott.
Speaker 3: So we're looking at a for those of you listening, we're looking all around the shop and he's got a big mule deer set up on a pack mount.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well actually one ninety. I'm guessing John, what do you think?
Speaker 6: Probably one eight? Uh, you know they always look bigger in pictures. And this is Rachel.
Speaker 2: It's up Rachel.
Speaker 3: Rachel.
Speaker 2: Then, oh my god, here's the baboon.
Speaker 6: Here's the babboon.
Speaker 15: Yeah, he's dried out and he's ready for a final paint job and get his hair done.
Speaker 2: He looks ready to be interviewed next time, the next episode live, we're just gonna do a segment where we talked to that babboon.
Speaker 3: It needs a little manicure.
Speaker 6: We've got to get the manicure on there.
Speaker 3: And what about the uh, the rear end you showed us.
Speaker 15: I'll try well, I'll try not to get too anatomick you correct here, But so there's that'll all have to be refinished because it's pretty scaly dry right now.
Speaker 6: So then we'll rebuild everything and then get it painted back after that reddish pink hue.
Speaker 1: Hmmm, not right, yeah, John, I see a lot of these mounts that look like the hides rolled up underneath it, and I think they go on to like an old timey backpack and board pack out board kind of a deal. Do you think that's a just a trend or is that style of mountain going to be around for a while.
Speaker 6: I think it'll be around for a while till we play it out. It's just something.
Speaker 15: Different, you know, and like, let's see if I can do this with one hand. So a lot of them, you can like pre buy all the pieces and then you just assemble it pretty like you know, cookie cutter, like on ours. I was trying to make them look a little more realistic, like on your pack. So that's its real teeth, and we take a standard form and then alter the head, put the teeth back in it, and then just sculpt all the lip and interpalette out of a POxy and then I special order some eyes that look like they're direct out from being dead. And then our roles are all handmade.
Speaker 6: Actually, I got one that I've been working on.
Speaker 2: A lot of them.
Speaker 15: Looks like I didn't see somewhere that they just fold the rest of the cape up underneath the head. It looks kind of like a folded up T shirt. Like what I do on these is this is what I was just working on yesterday. So this is the role that'll be inside the mound. I'll cast the head into the foam and then that makes it look like it's heavy when it's sitting on it. Yeah, and there's like there's the starts of all the mouth and the teeth and everything on this one.
Speaker 6: But then the head we'll sit into.
Speaker 15: It like it's pushed in, and then we put these ring rolls in here and we'll put some planets. It looks like the ropes are sunk in, so it actually looks like it's under pressure.
Speaker 1: Well, I didn't think about that. That's a great detail. I can imagine if somebody did it on a regular form with regular eyes, it looked like you had a live deer on your backpack.
Speaker 15: Trying to common thing is it looks like it's a lot and I'm always like it should look a little more dead than that.
Speaker 2: Well, thanks a lot, John Hayes and you people out there listening. If you got something dead, like if you went and picked out the bear Randam was just talking about, can't do better than bringing it to Hayes Taxi, Jeremy Studio, and Libby Montana.
Speaker 4: The man is an artist.
Speaker 2: He's passionate about what he does, believes in good customer service.
Speaker 4: Thanks for joining, John.
Speaker 6: Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Pleasure t John all right, finishing out listener feedback hit us fill.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I've got a few here, I think. First one is from Sean The Future of Meat Eater Kids. My kids absolutely love it. They've listened to all five episodes over and over. Do you have any sort of update on anything happening. I know things are going to happen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're going to continue.
Speaker 2: So, as I told people, if let us know how you feel about Meet Eater Kids podcasts, we needed to wait to see if it was successful, if people liked it, if it was down unloaded. The Meat Eater Kids podcast show hit the threshold right that that the sort of like somewhat poorly defined threshold of popularity versus critical versus how annoying it not annoying, how much work it takes to make it not annoying, how much of Phil's time it would actually require to produce the show. All that, and yes, it will continue to live on Meat Eater Podcast Mediator. Kids podcast will will somehow emerge as something on its own feed, So there we will build a kid's feed, Am I correct?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, that's the plan. We will build a kids podcast feed.
Speaker 1: We did a podcast.
Speaker 7: About this earlier, but if you just want to spend some time on it, what can we expect from the new season? I'm guessing I'm thinking about rough Cuts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we got some episodes coming out very yeah, very raw and different than projects we've done in the past. But like, yeah, we just we got a podcast. We got to whole thing coming out about it or did it already come on? Already came out? Oh go listen to what the hell was Allus.
Speaker 1: Episode a couple of weeks ago or last week Friday?
Speaker 2: Yeah, go listen to Cutting the rough Cuts.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and uh, this one might be putting you guys on the spot, but if you have any sort of people this man can connect with, We've got Christopher Leary asking, I'm a physically challenged man who has finally gotten to the point where I can hunt locally in Northeast Florida. My dream is to do some multi week big game hunting. Any advice multi week Hmmm?
Speaker 1: I would just start calling outfitters and uh, see who's gonna who's gonna take on the challenge. I mean, I have no idea what what your challenges are. But uh, there's an outfitter out there that I believe could take care of you. I'm sure, But you're just gonna have to.
Speaker 2: Call Yeah, I'd be calling your Uh, I'd be calling your wife and your boss too and let him know you're gonna need a little chunk of time.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I would just call around, man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would call around and talk and talk to some guides.
Speaker 3: And I know that there's nonprofits as well that work, yes, physically challenge people to get them out in the field. And even if you weren't to go on a trip with them, they can probably offer some recommendations on who out there from the guide world might be suited for that kind of a trip.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I don't know, there are a lot of organizations that do trips for wounded veterans who can have any number of disabilities, you know, amputees, all manner of disabilities, and they probably those organizations have probably dealt with a lot of contacts and dealt with a lot of challenges, and they could also and if you're not a veteran, they could probably point you in the right direction of how they conduct those trips, for how they facilitate those trips for people with physical challenges.
Speaker 7: Phil, Yeah, I'll do one more here more from Kenny Anderson. Bestly, to combat the urge to hunt hard when weather it's shortened your Alaska caribou hunt.
Speaker 2: I don't understand what that means. Do you know what that means?
Speaker 7: I'm guessing he's just said saying that, uh, if weather's bad, weather is shortened your hunt. Do you do you recommend hunting harder or combating that urge and finding something to fulfill that need.
Speaker 2: I suppose if that means that it's just real foggy and there's nothing you can do but sit around sometime, maybe that's what that means. If that's what that means, it might be good just to sit around, because stumbling around the fog, you're just leaving a lot of scent. You're not going to see any anyways, and sometimes the best thing you can do is hold tight. I think that might be what he's getting a condition.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but what I think he's asking, he's got the urge. You know, he knows maybe he needs to sit tight. So how do you combat the urge? My answer would be, hopefully, if you're going on any trip to Alaska, where being weathered in is a real thing, often is have some good reading materials.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or fish grailing there you go, because you can always see far enough to see a grailing hole. Is that it for listener feedback? That'll be it for listener feedback? All right, thanks everybody, don't forget to tell me.
Speaker 4: No, I got it.
Speaker 3: I got it, Randall, I'd just like to plug. Next week, we're gonna have a segment called the meat Eater Movie Club, and we're gonna be discussing a movie. The first movie in the Mediater Movie Club is the twenty eleven classic thriller, Liam Neesen's The Gray Classic. I'm just trying to build it just thriller, thriller. I mean, I'm trying to build it up.
Speaker 2: I think it made a decent amount of money.
Speaker 3: Can we cut that out?
Speaker 1: Not at all?
Speaker 2: Right, this is not a classic thriller. It's a celebrating When you said classic thriller, I thought you're gonna name a classic thriller.
Speaker 3: It's a celebrated film, The Gray. You can stream it for free with an Amazon Prime subscription, So if you'd like to be in the know as we're discussing it next week, check it out on Prime and go give it a watch before the next episode.
Speaker 2: And on a future installment of the Movie Club. What's it called Mediatter Movie Club, I'm gonna do a thing where I just deliver a lecture about why fear Riosa is relevant to hunters and anglers today. Can't wait to look forward to it. All right, everybody, thanks for joining me in the radio live over.
Speaker 9: Note