Speaker 1: Hello everybody. Welcome into the Fantasy Pros Football Podcast. I'm Ryan Warmley, joined today by Derek Brown and Pat fitz Morris Fellas. We are talking fantasy takeaways for the NFC North. We have been running through all of the divisions. Hopefully everybody has been enjoying the series or we'll enjoy the episodes to come. Not sure what order they're getting released. Today we were talking about the NFC North though, and it was the best division in football, one of the best divisions I can ever recall. Watching particularly the top three teams was remarkable how good they were and what their records were against non NFC North opponents. So this will be a really fun episode to talk some takeaways about Deebro. We're gonna start with you. You are have the takeaway for the Detroit Lions, who are the one seed in the NFC. They went fifteen into this season.
Speaker 2: This all comes down to we bought high on Sam Laporta in twenty twenty four, and on twenty twenty five we get to buy low. He's going to drop in the ranks. Some people are gonna have we're after in the second or the third round.
Speaker 1: I'm not doing it again.
Speaker 2: Because we know that that's how fantasy gms work. Get burned once and never go back to the well. But I'm telling people that need to go back to the well because I think this was a confluence of a lot of different things for Sam Laporta.
Speaker 1: One.
Speaker 2: I don't think he was fully healthy to start the year. Like we're talking about a player that it wasn't until week seven that we saw Sam Laporta play at least ninety percent of the snaps in the Detroit Lions offense and all the other metrics are fantastic for Sam Laporta. The emergence of Jamison Williams also stunted his early season stuff. But if you look at weeks thirteen through eighteen, we got pretty much the Sam Laporta we thought we were gonna get. He was tight in five and fantasy points per game, fifteen fantasy points per game, which if you look over the entire season, if he would have done that from the outset guys, he would have been within shouting distance like we talked about in other episodes, of being the tight end one overall and paying off on that draft price. So after the down all in for Sammy ballgame for twenty twenty five, Baby, enjoy the discount.
Speaker 1: We de bro fitz and I just talking on the Dynasty Show. We were talking about Sam Laportas. Somebody asked us about trading him for the one oh nine in a super flex rekey draft, and the Dynasty trade value chart has his relatively close. There are some other stuff going on in the trade that we don't need to get into the specifics, but that was kind of the main crux of it. I felt like I did not want to do that. Fitzad is a little more even what do you think about that trade.
Speaker 2: I'm not doing it because I think Laporta's value is higher than that, because at worst he's what Dynasty tight end three. I mean, he's in the conversation for tight end one. Overall, Still, I think within with brock Bauers and trade McBride, but I don't. I wouldn't push back on it too hard, although I would want more than that, Like if you could give me the one o nine and like a second, maybe would do it. But it's also comes down to the fact in Dynasty Titans, they're much more valuable on your team than a lot of instances than you ever get back in trades.
Speaker 1: So yeah, he I think, like I said, there were other pieces involved in that. You know, it's a tier of three at the top, and I do think he is clearly the third in that tier. So maybe you could argue it's a tier of two at the top and then kind of him on his own a tier of one behind McBride and Bowers, But I do think he's very clearly in the top three fits. How do you look at Sam Laporta for twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: Five tier of one behind Bowers and McBride, likely fourth round pick. I think we're gonna see one tight end go maybe in each of the first four rounds of the draft. Bowers I think is worthy of a late first, McBride a second, Kittle, a third, Laporta in the fourth. And yeah, I agree with Debro like we saw more of the old Sam Laporta late in the year. I think another fact for the slow start was that the Lions were completely demolishing people early in the season and just like running the ball down people's throats and like barely bothering a pat. There were some games where like Jared Goff had seventeen or eighteen pass attempts, so that played into it also, But yeah, I mean, like the Jamison Williams thing is maybe a problem that's not going away for Laporta. So I like him, I just don't think he has the ceiling that Bowers and McBride do.
Speaker 1: De youver. The other thing I wanted to ask you about the Lions, and I talked a little bit about about this with Fits, is if Ben Johnson leaves for a head coaching job, which obviously for the thirst straight year he's going to be really highly sought after, there's a very likely chance I think that this offense is not as at least well called next year and well designed. Like Ben Johnson is considered arguably the best offensive coordinator in football, I think many would say he is the best offensive coordinator in football, at least some of the guys who aren't head coaches right now. So if they're taking a step back in that regard, it's not easy to just immediately get the next very obvious guy. We've seen Jared Goff struggle in some previous offenses before when he didn't have this amazing setup around him. Is there any concern for you going in next year if we assume that Ben Johnson is not there anymore that that will negatively impact Laporta and really the offense as a whole.
Speaker 2: I think it could hurt them as far as are they a top three offense, But I don't see them falling outside of the top five in the sense of let's just assume you don't get Ben Ben Johnson doesn't say, but you don't get a massive, massive falloff, like you could still get an offensive coordinator, because the infrastructure of this offense, it's not like there are other moving pieces and we're so worried about this entire thing falling apart. Like the offensive line is still going to be a lead. You still have two of the best running backs in the NFL. All of that structure and that floor that you built, that basement, that foundation of this team is all still firmly in place. This is basically just don't screw up the offensive coordinator higher and you probably still have a top five offense in the NFL. So maybe it hurts some in the sense of, Okay, Laporta top two, top three, now we're bumping into top five tight end and splitting hairs in some of the positions like that. But am I worried, not a ton because I also know that Dan Campbell's involved in those offensive meetings and stuff, so it's not like they're going from.
Speaker 1: Issues with that.
Speaker 2: On the other side of this, too, is if they lose Aaron Glenn, what if the defense takes a step back and the offense is pushed even more next year? We could play that card too.
Speaker 1: I also I have a lot of trust in Dan Campbell to make a good higher He seems like a somebody who will do a very good job of kind of vetting his available options and be He's the type of coach that I think quality offensive coordinator candidates will want to come coach under.
Speaker 2: So in his background too, he's not a defensive guy like he played tight end. He was an offensive guy. So it's not like we're even talking about like a CEO or defensive minded head coach. I think people it gets lost in the sauce that Dan Campbell also is more of the offensive mind guy too.
Speaker 1: I think he's a CEO type now if you had to put him in a bucket that but in the background, yes, is like like what he is not just that he is also contributing to offense and stuff like that Minnesota Vikings fourteen and three, they are the five seed. Obviously, winning fourteen games is typically enough to win the division, not this year for the NFC North. If it's what's your takeaway for the Vikings.
Speaker 3: That fading Minnesota pass catchers because of Sam Darnold was a mistake in twenty twenty four, and I think fading Minnesota pass catchers because of JJ McCarthy in twenty twenty five will also be a mistake. So justin Jefferson fell into like the of the first round, sometimes even the late part of the first round this year in fantasy drafts because people were nervous about Sam Donald and him possibly undermining Jefferson's heroics. Like there were some drafts where Jefferson fell to one to ten and was going behind well, he was consistently going behind Amen Ross, Saint Brown and drafts that I was in, But I saw drafts where he was going behind AJ Brown and Garrett Wilson too, which I thought was kind of crazy. I wound up because of that getting Jefferson in a lot of spots where I was like sitting at one O eight, and I was obviously delighted with how things turned out. Fifteen hundred yards, one hundred and three catches, ten touchdowns. So yeah, I mean we are gearing up for a repeat of the same phenomenon, because I do think the Vikings are going to let Sam Donald walk and make a go of it with their cheap first round pick quarterback. And look, I'm not as completely sold on JJ McCarthy as debro is, but he is good enough to make Justin Jefferson go. I mean, heck, I am good enough to make jeff Justin Jefferson go, and I'm not how far I could throw away football out of my backyard. So like, do not fade these pass catchers. Don't fade Jordan Addison or TJ. Hockinson either. Because of the quarterbacks.
Speaker 2: It's a year not getting yourself enough credit. I've seen the hoes you've got, I've seen you check a football. Okay, just to say it.
Speaker 1: I think that it's very easy to make the case for not fading Justin Jefferson. Obviously, I think it's easy to make the case for not fading TJ. Hockinson. I think Addison is the one that you people will make the case to fade. You know, it's not often you see a rookie quarterback, which McCarthy essentially will be next year. It's not often you see a rookie quarterback support multiple viable pass catches, let alone three. If we're looping in Hockinson there too. I really like Addison the player, and I like him as a number two. I think it's toots him really well to be a high level two rather than a low level one in an offense. He's the one that I think I'm anticipating people making the case to fade. What do you think, Debro Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean I faded him coming into this season, and Jordan Addison just just shoved in my face, man, And I mean kudos to him. We've seen him grow as a route runner, as a target earner at you know, not only that, but the strength of the catch point. Like Addison has taken a big step forward this year. And I'll tip my cap to him, man, and to all the parts that fits laid out. I mean I was telling people not in draft season, don't fade justin Jefferson, because I'm not that worried about it. And this all comes back to, like, look, regardless of whatever people's thoughts are about JJ McCarthy as a prospect, whether you didn't like him, you were big on him, you were high on him, you loved him. This all comes back to Kevin O'Connell and do we really think, like, how many iterations of this offense have we seen still go?
Speaker 1: Like? You?
Speaker 2: We have Josh Dobbs, We saw what that looked like, pass Catcher's al still flourished. We saw with Nick Mullens, Okay, he's thrown for three hundred yards on a weekly basis. Now we've seen it with Sam Darnald. Why the heck don't people have like belief and give KOC credit? And even if you don't like JJ unless you think he is just walking into the NFL and he's worse than Nick Mullens, he's worse than Josh Dobbs, He's way, way, way worse than Sam Darnald.
Speaker 1: He's not.
Speaker 2: Then why do we not also have faith in this offense, this head coach, this offensive system to support the quarterback they felt good enough to take in the first round in the NFL draft.
Speaker 1: NFL Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 3: Sorry, I was just going to say thank you for mentioning O'Connell because I totally forgot to mention him. But like that's one of the big reasons. I mean, the infrastructure is so good. Not to mention, like, you know, really well, the tackles are great. They could maybe use some work on the end of the offensive line, but like, it's just a really good system for a young quarterback to enter and be able to thrive.
Speaker 1: Right where are you gonna have Addison ranked fits.
Speaker 3: Probably in the twenties somewhere. I mean, I do think he is really good and could be a star elsewhere. Like, I think he's that good. But yeah, obviously you have to dock him a little bit for having to share balls with Justin Jefferson.
Speaker 1: NFL playoffs. We're talking about NFL playoffs. You bet we are get in on the action at DraftKings sportsbook and official sports betting partner of the NFL. Scoring touchdowns is key to winning in the NFL playoffs, and the key to you scoring big is betting on them at DraftKings, the number one place to bet touchdowns. Ready to place your first bet, try betting on something simple like a player to score six. Go to the Drafting sports Book app and make your pick. We've got an awesome looking slate for wild Card weekend. A couple of close games based on the spread, also some intriguing projected blowouts. Raven Steelers is always fine even with that spread at nine and a half early in the week. Broncos playing as well as anyone despite being eight and a half point underdogs in Buffalo. The other games of smaller spreads, we'll get some super fun quarterback matchups Herbert Stroud, Love Hurtz Baker, Jade Daniels. Lines and odds are subject to change with this wild card weekend looks like a ton of fun. Here's another reason to watch your favorite players crush it in the playoffs. New customers bet five dollars to get two hundred dollars in bonus bets instantly, so score big during the NFL playoffs with Draftings Sportsbook. Download the Drafting Sportsbook app and use code Fantasy Pros. That's Code Fantasy pros for new customers to get two hundred dollars in bonus bets instantly when you bet just five bucks only on Draftking sports Book. The crowd is.
Speaker 4: Yours gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler in New York called eight seven seven eight Hope and Why or text hope and Why four six, seven, three six nine in Connecticut. Help is available for a problem gambling called eight eight eight seven eight nine seven to seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino when resorting Kansas twenty one on over age and eligibility varies by jurisdiction, voiden on two bonus Betz Expier one hundred and sixty eight hours after richuins four. Additional terms and responsible gaming resources see DKNG dot co slash audio.
Speaker 1: Fits. Let's go to your Green Bay Packers eleven and six this season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just talked up the Minnesota Vikings and now I'm gonna talk down about the Green Bay Packers. Twenty twenty five is off to a pretty weird start so far. Yeah, the Packers have gone from seemingly flush at wide receiver to desperately needing help at that position. I thought the Packers were stacked with good young wide receiver talent coming into the season. Jade Reid looked like a star in the making. Christian Watson had diagnosed the root of his hamstring issues and seemed ready to live up to his immense potential. Romeo Dobbs had proven to be a solid contributor. Packers head coach Matt Lafleur was talking up Dontavian Wis, even comparing him to DeVante Adams. Well, Reid stopped producing midway through the season. I have no idea what his future is going to look like. Watson towards a cl and it's now starting to look like he might be another another Denario Alexander Worm. Do you remember him? That might be uh, I remember? That might be too dated for you. He was this big playmaking receiver out of Missouri whose career was cut short by injuries. But big playmaker, but yeah, just kept getting one big injury act. We Will Fluller is the contemporary com for that. You you might, you might, you might know that name Worm.
Speaker 1: I was playing fantasy football when Danario Alexander was. I wasn't doing this professionally. I was playing. But yeah, I don't have a reck. I was in college when he was. Actually I was in high school when he came into the NFL, So this a while ago. Yeah, that was.
Speaker 3: That was just sort of the comp that came to mind for me. Since Danario Alexander was six five and Watson is a big Rangie Fellow too, but obviously his NFL future is in serious doubt now. Unfortunately, Dantavian Wick's pretty good at getting open, not so good at making contested catches or sometimes easy catches.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean DeVante Adams also had that problem in his first couple of years in the league and things worked out well for him. But we'll see on Wis like, I think he's more of a number three or number four than a starter right now. And Romeo Dubbs just like a complimentary receiver, not a guy you want as your one or maybe even as your number two. Suddenly the Packers have gone from being loaded at wide receiver to being pretty needy, and I mean like they have other needs to cornerback. Maybe they could use another edge rusher, but they're gonna have to draft at least one wide receiver I think this.
Speaker 1: Year, Debra, how do you evaluate this receiving core for Green Bay, especially when it comes to fantasy.
Speaker 2: Oh Man, the Watson news really hurts looking at the rest of this wide receiver room. I think it comes down to, and we've seen this in previous iteration, like previous weeks, where I forget, who are they playing the last It was the Minnesota Vikings. It was the Vikings and Brian Flores dialed of their man coverage rate and you saw all their guys struggle and they didn't have Watson to beat man and have an answer for that. So I think looking at all the different skills sets of these wide receivers, you're not only building a basketball team and you're trying to get a compliment of different skill sets, but you also need you need a dude like you need a guy that like, well, okay when it gets tough, and I need somebody to go be the alpha and do alpha type things. The Committee's all great and stuff, until the committee ain't working or you have certain weaker links in the armor. When it comes down to it, you need a guy when when the chips are down, we could feed him targets and we can get production, and we know that that production is going to be there. Green Bay needs an alpha Debro.
Speaker 1: Let's stick with you for the takeaway for the Bears, who went five to twelve in Caleb Williams rookie season.
Speaker 2: I talked about it all draft season, and it was right fading Deandres Swift in twenty twenty four was the right call if you look at his entire body of work the first few weeks of the season, specifically that stretch between weeks five through eight, when he was RB two, RB six, RB eleven and fantasy scoring on those weekly basis, that's really carrying a ton of water and propping him up to where he was RB twenty one and fantasy points per game overall.
Speaker 1: But if you look at.
Speaker 2: When you needed DeAndre Swift the most, he fell on his face weeks eleven through seventeen, RB thirty three and fantasy points per game, he was RB twenty eight as far as his weekly rate of finishing as an RB two or better. So Swift is a player that look, I think people still have clung to previous Detroit Lions hype and hope and whether it's he hasn't been able to stay healthy at certain points. Now we finally get the health and the effectiveness is just nih. So fading Swift was the right call last year or in twenty twenty four, it's gonna be the right call again in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: Fits where did you have Swift in their rankings for this last season?
Speaker 3: I was below consensus. I was not too high on him, and just generally, like I don't want to be above consensus on DeAndre Swift, but like his value was such a moving target because remember how he just faced Planet out of the gates. The Bears offensive line was really struggling, then he got hot and you know, was tearing it up for a few weeks and then over the back half of the regular season. I feel like that was sort of the true DeAndre Swift value if he's going to be in a featured role, like he's not really a guy you want as your feature back. But in his defense, I will say that a lot of this was sort of largely the product of his environments. Bears offensive line not great and just not an offense that was sustaining a lot of drives, which kind of short circuited Swift, and that you know, he got probably fewer touches than he might have in a better performing offense. So I think I don't think he was terrible, and I don't think he's anyone's you know, featured back of the future. I just think he's going to be at this point in his career, he is probably best served as someone's full time third down back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, agreed.
Speaker 1: Where do you anticipate him being in ECR for twenty twenty five.
Speaker 3: Oh Man, probably in the late twenties, high end RB three, mid range RB three, something like that.
Speaker 1: I think I'm probably going to be out at that price. I would. Yeah, aspect I had.
Speaker 2: Him as an RB three last year, I think he'll probably be ranked anywhere from low end RB two to high end RB three and all just happily avoid him like I did last year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I'm I'm feeling the same r. We'll wrap up the NFC North there. Thanks everybody for tuning in to be sure to check out all of our other divisional takeaways with myself, Debro and Fits. Thanks, thanks for watching, and we'll see again next time. Thanks for listening to the Fantasy Pros Fantasy Football podcast. If you love the show, the best freeway to support us is by leaving a positive review on Apple podcasts at Fantasypros dot com, slash review or on Spotify. Follow us on x, Instagram and TikTok at Fantasy Pros, and subscribe to our YouTube channel at YouTube dot com slash Fantasypros