Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of trend In two point oh or ur Threenden two point oh, a reference to m threegan two point oh. So many numbers in that title. The new Meghan movie.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to get out?
Speaker 1: It's that first movie was fun as hell. Man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can take our d I away, but you can't take away May.
Speaker 1: Three can take them three get away. That's right. My name is Jack O'Brien. That is I tried. I tried to say normally, but I cursed.
Speaker 2: You can't say my name normally.
Speaker 1: You're talking before we start recording. I have an inability to just win. Even when she just joins the record, I'm like, oh, how's it going?
Speaker 2: When I see him in the club?
Speaker 1: In the club, I say.
Speaker 3: The club, it's like how your parents like your host? How are you your musical host?
Speaker 1: In your musical host? I'm reading the Lorne Michael's biography.
Speaker 2: Oh does it is the audiobook? Like in his voice, I guess it's not an autobiography.
Speaker 1: It's just I think it's the author who's reading it. But uh, it's solid.
Speaker 2: His voice would have been too distracting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and like they so I like I'm also reading and listening to, uh the wind up Berg Chronicles, and like the person's reading that one is like really going for it on the voices, and it's too much. It's just too much like the Lauren Michael's one, and the person's just like they like subtly changed their voice for like Lorne Michael, like when Lorne Michaels was speaking, but they try and like do a voice. It's too much. It's just like I can I get it, Like you don't need to fucking like, I don't want this to be on your acting.
Speaker 2: Reel too much backstory, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but anyways, loving the wind up Ury Chronicles. By the way, that was recommended by one of our guests right before I went on vacation. I was like, I need a good vacation read and that was a good one. I will remember who recommended it by the end of this episode. But first we have to get to what is trending right now, paulave we are I don't know what's happening, Like we are a fucking technological miracle right now because zoom. We're recording this over zoom, but there is a zoom outage that has swept for the land, right, Yeah, that's right. If there's this is indeed a sync track, but it's Zoom has been down since noon Eastern time, and we started recording this like right before that, or we got on Zoom right before that, and so we I think we got like grandfathered in and then Zoom crashed and so nobody can join this call.
Speaker 2: We're just gonna keep it on for tomorrow too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's just going yeah.
Speaker 2: If we don't know when it's gonna go.
Speaker 1: Someone like friends in middle school in the early nineties, just staying on the phone just being like, hey, we are you doing, just like silently, but anyways, I don't I don't know. I congratulations to those people who weren't already on a call and they are just like fucking off work today because Zoom is down.
Speaker 2: Do you think Google meter, Skype did it?
Speaker 1: Who do you think took him out? It's everything is a game of Thrones behind the scenes with different brands. Yeah, but anyways, uh so we still have no proof of life or release for Kilmar Armando Abregio Garcia. That the words he's home were trending, I was like, oh shit, finally and that was mega like saying he's home where he belongs in this prison. A senator from Maryland has arrived in El Salvador to look into it, but again just to reiterate, Uh, he is an innocent person. The government has admitted he's innocent. The Trump administrations admitted they're refusing to correct their mistake.
Speaker 2: But like, that's shit, it's not a mistake.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's pretty radio like. It kind of makes sense with mega policies, like Trump wants there to be crime committed by immigrants to bolster his case that immigrants are criminals and scary. He doesn't want innocent, tax paying immigrants in America because that undermines his case. Individualist, he never wants to admit he's wrong about anything ever.
Speaker 2: So individualism is such a fucking disease. Like like I never understood people who were in mar who had marginalized backgrounds, like supporting Trump. But like even now, the cognitive essonance you need to maintain in order to be like a person of color who is still maga is just insane. Like all of your brain power must be going to that wall that's being put up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or like no, no, in my brain.
Speaker 2: An innocent person. But not like me innocent, I'm different innocent.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, oh just yeah. It's purely like they're just like, yeah, I don't know, man, it's fucking crabs in a bucket the fuck out of here. I'm not I'm not currently in that prison, and therefore I'm gonna be on board with this shit. Jesse Waters has an interesting theory where he kind of he like kind of came on and was like, this guy it was the this guy's no angel thing that the media always does whenever a person of color is like killed by the police. So in this case, you know, this is the person again has not been convicted of any crime. He's like, this guy has been pulled over by the cops multiple times, didn't come to the ticket hearing for his you know, traffic stops, which you know, of course, like those that system is set up to fuck over people who are working class and like can't get off work to like go to the court, like traffic court on a workday.
Speaker 2: At least their mothers talk to them, Jesse Waters. Okay, at least their mothers aren't fucking horrified at the monster they've created.
Speaker 1: That's right. But he also makes the case that because he wears a bull's hat. He is necessarily a member of I think MS thirteen, and he specifically says, anybody, you ask anybody in El Salvador what a bulls hat means. Dude, come on, It's like, I don't know, have.
Speaker 2: To last dance. That sounds like a threat exactly.
Speaker 1: So I was in Guatemala a couple of years ago, and there are don't.
Speaker 2: Admit it, don't admit it on the podcast.
Speaker 1: And I joined Mster team right now just for set being in Guatemala. Yeah, and I was. There were a surprising number of bulls hats, and but it was like people in their sixties were wearing bulls, Like everybody was wearing bulls hats. Like the bulls are very.
Speaker 2: Popular, fucking conspiracy of Like that's why those Super Bowl losers jerseys go to other countries, so that we can find a reason to tie them all together, to claim they're in a gang. To tell me.
Speaker 1: You know where else the bulls are really popular in America because Michael, we are fucking ruled Goodbye Chicago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a bunch of fucking terrorists.
Speaker 1: Terrorists. Yeah, that means you're associating with Bin Laden. He was also six six, just like Michael Jordan.
Speaker 2: Goodbye Me in my childhood in Utah, who was an obsessive Bulls fan.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, you must have been so popular.
Speaker 2: I know. We put my brother and I we just like latched onto the Bulls and we were putting like signs up in our windows. My dad was like, please don't fell egg the house.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, you and I both thought I was such a huge Bulls amazing. We were so I mean, yeah, there's just never been anything like Michael Jordan. I truly felt like he was like writing reality.
Speaker 2: Like you know, I keep seeing reels of him just going like just full mic when anybody says like him and Kobe, like anybody says anything to like incite him, yeah, to like just dominate the rest of the game. And like so it's all these basket professional basketball players being like, I don't I didn't want to antagonize him, but then somebody said something and then we just got demolished. I'm like, I love spite, like I love it so much. Like that's why he's my hero.
Speaker 1: I do have to say. Somebody just posted a clip of just the first like five minutes of one of the finals games between the I think it was like ninety six Bulls and the Utah Jazz and they were like is this your god? Like is this what you think? Because you know for all the old heads who are like no, these guys today couldn't make it in that old game, and like the level of basketball back then sucked shit compared to like the current NBA. Like the current NBA is so much harder, Like there's so much just like more sophisticated in terms of the offense as they run. I don't like anybody who thinks the players of today would like go back in time and not be able to play well is incorrect. Basketball is just progressed.
Speaker 2: It gets better, shoot and body technology have also improved. No, exactly, like those people are probably so sore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like to me, it's the equivalent of like going back and being like, uh, you know the of like the nineties are actually superior to the phones today, and it's like, you know, no, that's a worse technology. Like just it's one where they.
Speaker 2: Had Michael Jordan heard you call I think It's Politics podcast that's going to destroy TVs.
Speaker 1: And I took that personally. But it's like all the technology basketball is so fluid and so complex. All of the current game is being built on top of the past game. Anyways, this is all to say Jesse Waters is equating wearing a Bulls hat with being in MS thirteen And he was like, I mean, come on that the year that picture was taken, the Bulls had sixty losses. They are the one, like, the one global, globally popular thing that has happened in the NBA is Michael Jordan Like that, It's like, what are you talking about? Like the it's like when you look at most famous athletes in the world, like across history, like into the past decade, Michael Jordan is still on that list.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because he's the inspiration for so many people that are playing now. And also it infuriates me that these fucking white assholes will just take a marketable thing, ring it dry and then throw it away, you know, like and that marketable thing was Michael fucking Jordan. You know, like he's making money for all that he reinvent He changed shoes like sneakers, like and they were and now they're just like that. It's not so good, you know.
Speaker 1: But anyways, Jesse Waters fucking moron, and uh, thinks that if you wear a bull's hat that that's caused to be sent to a prison.
Speaker 2: Com I want to start wearing so many bulls hats because of this. I'm just gonna start buying bulls hats, hats on hats, hats on hats, on hat.
Speaker 1: Sherlock Holmes with two you can Sherlock Holmes the hat by doing one hat on top of the other hat, front and back four. Way I used to do that was not to brag, but I used to do that.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's you're you were definitely in a gang.
Speaker 1: I wasn't a gang anyway you looked at me. Let's take a quick break and we'll be right back. And we're back. And there's this new documentary called Social Studies. Have you heard about that or I guess not new. It was like it either came out last year or the year before, but I just found out about it that it's basically like it allows you it follows a bunch of teenagers, but it has access to capturing the screens that they're using, so like you get to see what is on their phone.
Speaker 2: Fucking nightmare, nightmare. But they should never have done that, Like they had to have burner phones, no fucking way.
Speaker 1: But so they just allow it because and like the the director. I heard the director interviewed on search Engine, the podcast search Engine, and she was like, yeah, I guess like they're just so used to being on display at all times that like it didn't matter to them, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you have all your data out there, what are you afraid of?
Speaker 1: And there's there's like a scene where you know, one of the young women or you know, I guess children. I don't know how old they are, but they're like in high school and they're like scrolling social media and then they're like trying to put together an outfit to like just leave the house. And just like the heartbreaking like way that like the images that you're fed on social media just affect these people's ability to like have self esteem and just like feel okay going out in the world. The amount of like porn, that like the way that porn is just like fed to these like children on like a regular basis. It's a lot of stuff like just hearing about it is oh yeah, And that like one of they like follow this party that happens where there there's this kid, like high school student in La who's like a famous promoter and uh.
Speaker 2: A promoter who's a high school student.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, Like I guess he wouldn't have promoter right now. Well, I think calling him a promoter is very boomer. But you know, he like throws parties and has a huge following and anyways, like has this huge like exclusive party in LA and somebody like Od's and comes back like comes back and then uh posts from the hospital. I took a perk that I shouldn't have because I'm a gremlin, and like the guy who's like throwing the party is just like and I thought that was funny and cool.
Speaker 2: It's just like very no more screams in my household, only books. The dogs are going to be reading books from now on.
Speaker 1: No more TV for my dogs, the whole thing. Like there's this anecdote speaking of the NBA. There's this anecdote that I heard that NBA teams when you go into the locker room at halftime, it's dead silence because everybody is on their phones, like reading what people are saying about them on social media. No, no, like the fuck it just and just I don't know, like more and more, like as my kids are like getting towards the age that people tend to like their friends will soon have phones, they will not. But like I like just watching people just disappear, like just walking down the street and like just seeing so many people, like eating together, but just like dead eyed on their phone, like not interacting with one another, like just is It's like more and more it just makes me like fucking depressed.
Speaker 2: I saw a tweet that was, like, it's funny because I feel like over time, this probably was said about TVs as well, but people were saying. Somebody was saying, I wish I knewh it was that she abides by like large screens are okay, but small screens are not like large screens. If you have kids watching like a show on a projector or something, they'll be like running around. They'll leave and come back. They'll be more physical and more aware of their surroundings. But if you have kids focused in on like an iPad or a phone, they like don't leave and experience anything else or have any interactions with people. I'm like, I'm sure somebody said that about TV when TV first came.
Speaker 1: Out, like we're just getting getting yeah, yeah, and like the TV programming is you know, obviously meant like there's cliffhangers and stuff like that that's designed to bring you back, but like the shit on your phone is designed to be addictive, like it is.
Speaker 2: TV now too. Yeah that's true though, thirty second and that's like what verticals are. Virtuals are like this new thing that's like like five to ten minutes of an episode and it's like the weird stuff and it's meant to just be something to fill your time on your phone.
Speaker 1: It's a weird experience, like because it's the same thoughts that like we've been having from the start, Like we ended up having a conversation on the show yesterday about this trend of boys cutting off their eyelashes to try and be more masculine or I guess that was on this morning's episode.
Speaker 2: We need to start sending the eyelashes to the lash girls, right, and that.
Speaker 1: Happened exchange such a difficult thing to but it's just like these are all the ideas that we've had, like from the start, like porn at too early of an age is bad, and like, yeah, on the one hand, you don't want to be the like anti porn scold because that makes you seem conservative but on the other hand, like these kids are being like, yeah, I actually was introduced to porn before I wanted to be, Like, I was introduced to porn in third grade.
Speaker 2: Do you remember when we were growing up and like obviously porn still existed and there were magazines and everything, but like the most mainstream like thing that you would see is like commercials for Girls Gone Wild or like Acts commercials or Carl's Junior commercials where they really like sexualized women. And I remember being like, this is too much, like those women are objectified. And now it's like everywhere, it's like all over the place, even criminal things.
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, yeah, it's I don't it Just it seems like I just keep having the same thoughts and like critiques that I've had from the start for these things, and like they both seem like more and more unshakable and evident, like just like the fact that like this requires people like turn themselves into brands and like go for the most attention grabbing thing and like all this shit that like they seem both more and more obvious to me and also like more and more out of touch, Like yeah, like just the sorts of things that won't even register with people.
Speaker 2: But yeah, but I do think like people with souls will like do realize this and then turn to things because like I found this need to like read and do puzzle like not like word puzzles or like you know, game stuff like that, or go outside, you know, just like reconnect with things that I did in my childhood that were not attached to a screen. Because of how saturated and like disc it feels like I've just been eating junk food all day when I'm just like on my phone and so like it's forcing me to to you know, be with my dogs and be with other people and like that. Like that's almost like a treat to like have human interaction not through a screen. It's crazy.
Speaker 1: It's hard because it's yeah, we don't have like the language or the rules that we do for like junk food, but it really does feel like we just wait for our own like personal like that. The way that we currently consume technology is obviously unsustainable for like the planet, but just the way that it like robs us of free.
Speaker 2: Will, humanity memory.
Speaker 1: Yeah, mission it's also like spiritually and mentally unsustainable, and.
Speaker 2: I think it's more obvious than AI on social media.
Speaker 1: Right Anyways, it sounds like a cool documentary.
Speaker 2: Maybe we'll do a watch short.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do need it broken down into fifteen snackable increments. All right. One other story, Christy Nome is apparently catching some shit for.
Speaker 2: Uh not dog shit.
Speaker 1: Not dog shit. She's not catching the dog shit that we're thrown at her. She's dodging that. But she's catching shit from right wing people because so she just like keeps doing these photo ops of herself with like ICE and like posting new and apparently like the people at ICE. So like, first of all, this is Christy Nome, We salute you. Keep doing what you're doing. But apparently like she is fucking up their missions. Oh by being like human trafficker Barbie.
Speaker 2: She is so funny. Yeah, so she's like so incompetent. She's like outing CIA agents basically.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly. Yeah, for for the.
Speaker 2: Likes for me, we should do that.
Speaker 1: Christy Nom's fondness for photo ops maybe undermining her own agency's mission. According to an array of government sources who spoke to The Wall Street Journal, secretary of the Department of Homeland Securities frequent, often flashy appearances at border crossings and alongside immigration and Customs enforcement officers have made her a walking billboard for President Donald Trump's deportation crackdown. In one instant, sources told the journal that Gnome likely hampered a series of early morning raids in New York City by posting about the operation on social media while it was still underway.
Speaker 2: This is like us following Nancy Pelosi for like the stock market, but like we're following Christina to see like where to avoid. Yeah, yeah, exactly, that's amazing. This is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so great work to her. We rarely take the time to congratulate somebody in the Trump administration on the great work they're doing, but I think.
Speaker 2: It's somebody that's thirsty.
Speaker 1: Nailed it. Nailed it girl.
Speaker 2: It does make me want to become a right wing influencer and befriend a bunch of ICE people and then just like post about them.
Speaker 1: I'm sure the show covered this while I was out, but there was a great photo op where she was like pointing her gun directly at the head of like an ICE agent. She's like holding it to the side like in a like you would on the cover of like an action movie, but it was pointed directly at the head of an ice agent.
Speaker 2: That is so funny.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, she's just maybe it's not incompetence, maybe she's just fucking secretly saper based. Also, did you see somebody tweet I don't know if this is true because they didn't have sourcing, but they were like, I'm endlessly fascinated with the so Jeff Bercovici said, for no reason I can decipher. The New York Times will never stop trying to retcon the etymology of best And then they have screen caps of two New York Times articles where it says this one says, but my favorite new slang word is based short for based in fact or based in reality. What oh god, that's I.
Speaker 2: Just want to say sorry to all black people for us just like ruining every cool fucking word and phrase that.
Speaker 1: What comes up with.
Speaker 2: It's so sad they've done to based and woke and like everything, Oh so sad, so awful.
Speaker 1: Anyways, Uh, those are some of the things that are trending. Paul of you, Where can people find you? Follow you? See you all that good stuff.
Speaker 2: At Paula Viganalan p A l A the I g U n A l a n. You can find me at the Comedy Store on Friday the eighteenth at ten pm in the belly Room with my show Facial Recognition Comedy. You can also find me in Dallas, Texas on May twenty fifth, nine pm Dallas.
Speaker 1: Comedy Everybody, Sacina.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna I'm gonna figure it out. Yeah, I'm gonna figure out who did it. I feel like I'm on the I'm on the case. Okay, I'm looking at old Yeah, it's almost there, and I'm gonna be walking around like Christinome figuring it out. So please tell everyone to buy tickets. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's what happened to his head. Christinome was she was just in Dallas posing for a picture accidentally, whoopsie, did a bit did a bit of a whoopsie. All right, well, thank you for joining. We are back tomorrow with the whole last episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourselves, get your vaccines while you still can get your flu shots, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to you all tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Bye, Miney