Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome my favorite murder.
Speaker 2: That's Georgia Hardstar.
Speaker 1: That's Karen Kellgera. This is a solo episode, and you know what that means.
Speaker 2: Makeup tips, makeup tips.
Speaker 1: I don't know how it happened.
Speaker 2: We're just like, let's start solo episodes with another one of our passions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's it called when you say you should try something?
Speaker 2: Recommendation? Thank you? That's right, recommendations and like a beauty stuff we talk. Yeah, it's like fun stuff.
Speaker 1: Do you want to go first time?
Speaker 2: Sure? I can never find the correct color of foundation. Sure, because my base color is red with green.
Speaker 1: You're also like, you seem like you should be pale, but your tan.
Speaker 2: Yes, right, I get people put pale makeup on me all the time, and then I look like it's cool. Right, there's a little brown under there and also a lot of red that reads is brown. The redness is a real problem.
Speaker 1: Sounds fun anyhow.
Speaker 2: There's a TikToker who I adore named Tyler Mars who she she has rosetia, so she's always giving these recommendations of like a tough down the red. It's just like I just look up if I need to get something So anyhow, there's a foundation that I found on TikTok of course, of course, and it's the brand is R. E. M. And it is the best foundation I've worn to date.
Speaker 1: Is it like is it red correction foundation or it's just foundation that that just works that way.
Speaker 2: It's like a it's a foundation color that somehow addresses all of the things that need to be covered without making me look like either a vampire or like I looked in high school with my one color of cover Girl just clowny, clowny.
Speaker 1: Have you smelled that recently? The like cover Girl powder? Oh my god, it'll bring you back.
Speaker 2: Like immediate bawling. And I just want to say, I have bought every other foundation. So it's like people are like, you've got to try it, our money, blah blah blah. And it's like, sure, except for that, for some reason, on me, it turns out orange.
Speaker 1: It's so about what it works for you. I use Charlotte Tillberry right now, but in three weeks it might not work anymore for me and look terrible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it's real high stakes and also let a panic decision making. So like now we're on camera again. Now we're on camera again, so I want to get it right. Arim's getting me there.
Speaker 1: I think mine is also like a face one. It's I got. We got our makeup done recently, and whenever I get my makeup done, I end up with tons of notes of what to buy because I don't fucking know, and the makeup artist is great. So the thing that I bought this time around, there's a drag queen named kim.
Speaker 2: Chi Kimchi, yeah.
Speaker 1: Who was on The Fine who was a finalist on Season A to RuPaul's drag Race. Kimchi has a makeup line and kim Chi's puff puff pass setting powder. I got in two collars, like one for under eye and one for my skin. I am obsessed with.
Speaker 2: It, okay, because you have been looking very like perfectly.
Speaker 1: Blurred, like maybe you need to get your checked.
Speaker 2: I mean exactly, you can't see I've been puff puff passing to myself right before the show starts. I'm going to try that for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's called puff puff pass setting powder. And you know it comes in such a like cute fun packaging that you're like, this isn't gonna do anything, you know what I mean, Like, yes, my brain if that's how it works. But if the makeup artists hadn't like used it on me, I wouldn't have tried it. And now it's like I used two different types of powder, which is like, so not me. I'm so lowing.
Speaker 2: You're very advanced. I think this living in the cultural world of drag queen dominance has benefited and like it's raised all boats, because yeah, I care about makeup, but do I have that kind of time to be like bake it in with a triangle pad or whatever where it's like, okay, but maybe you're a.
Speaker 1: Drag queen, like you have to do that.
Speaker 2: You have to be like you know all the tricks, yes, all the tricks, and it has to stay on for like twelve hours through sweating all.
Speaker 1: The day things. Well as you and I always say, we must listen to drag queens more.
Speaker 2: Please always listen to drag Let them pass uh puff puff?
Speaker 1: No, I was gonna say, past legislation, that's the one. Let them pass legislation please. That's right.
Speaker 2: Well, what a perfect intro into my solo story for today. No, but why actually terrible? Okay, but why not? Well only in kind of in that it's about a woman, okay, who's a trailblazer who's doing it all for herself, much like kim Chi and the rest of the Rubaul Dragway cast. Yeah, shout out Katya. You covered the deaths on Mount Everest in our episode one seventy four.
Speaker 1: One of my favorite stories to cover of all time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was good.
Speaker 1: Don't think about it.
Speaker 2: We titled that episode rough Winds and high Water.
Speaker 1: That's funny.
Speaker 2: So we've talked about it before. When you think of Mount Everest, and I know you think about it a lot, the first name that usually pops into your head or anyone's head is Sir Edmund Hillary, the first man, along with Hisshrpa Tenzing Norgate, who got to the top of Mount Everest.
Speaker 1: In nineteen fifty three. First ones to do it, first.
Speaker 2: Two to do it, Okay, and it was in fifty three. Today, I'm going to tell you about the boundary breaking, trailblazing first woman to climb Mount Everest. This year marks the fiftieth anniversary of her achievements. But like many of the great historic women that we talk about on this show, you've probably never heard her name. Writer Jenny Hall reported on her for CNN writing quote, her bravery helped her lead record setting all women expeditions and overcome the mountain of sexism in this male dominated space. Yet very few organizations, even in Japan, have thought to celebrate the fiftieth anniversary of the first ascent of Everest by a woman. Well, then fine, I'll do it.
Speaker 1: It falls on Karen again.
Speaker 2: Once again, I'll do it. I'll celebrate women on Everest. Today, I'm going to tell you about an athlete who refused to take no for an answer, who defied strict cultural expectations, and who was so unstoppable even an avalanche couldn't keep her down. Say this is the story of Japanese mountaineer Junko to Baye.
Speaker 1: Amazing it Like, yes, I want to hear that. It never crossed my mind? Right? Perfect?
Speaker 2: Okay. Sources from this story that Marin used are a twenty seventeen Outside Magazine article by Brad Furnett entitled a Final Interview with Junko to bay E and a nineteen ninety six Sports Illustrated article by Robert Horn entitled No Mountain Too High for Her. How Junko to Baye defied Japanese views of women to become an expert climber amazing. The rest of the sources are in our show notes. So we begin in September of nineteen thirty nine when Junko, at the time her last name was Ishi Bashi, is born in a small town in Japan's Fukushima Prefecture. A prefecture is based a state, got it, But I love the word prefecture.
Speaker 1: The word is it? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I do do oh sorry, while we're here just because of that word. If you haven't watched Blue Eye Samurai on Netflix, it's an anime series and it is like an Oscar winning film. It is unbelievably made, great great. Fukushima Prefecture is one of the country's largest prefectures. I keep saying it stretch from the Pacific coast inward to the mountains. We all have heard of it from the devastating twenty eleven earthquake and then tsunami and then nuclear disaster. Very horrible time. But this is a stunning part of Japan, complete with ski resorts, hot springs, cherry blossoms, volcanic lakes, and beautiful places to hike. So it's no surprise that even as a little girl, Junco is captivated by the nature around her. When she's just ten years old, her teacher takes her class on field trips to two nearby mountains, both around six thousand feet in elevation, which aren't you huge, but they're not small either for kids especially, and Junko isn't the type of kid anyone would say was adventurous. She's very tiny. As a child, she endures multiple bouts of pneumonia, and even as an adult she only ever gets to four foot nine and about ninety pounds, So she's a tiny lady. But Junko says that because of her stature, she's quote stamped as a weak child. But something clicks for her on these mountain field trips, and her life is never the same after. She will later remember quote, I was so surprised by the rocky, dry hills and a stream of hot water that came from a hot spring. I was shocked to feel a little chilly while we were at the top of the mountain because it was summer. I realized that there were so many things in the world which I have never encountered, and that it is fun to see and learn directly through one's own experiences. I became determined to go wherever I could go. Wow, So this is just a child being like I love life. I'm into this. Although if I saw a hot spring in a Japanese mountain, I think I would lose it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, so cool you can see in palm springs and it's still amazing iron is.
Speaker 2: But of course being a little girl with an interest in the outdoors comes with its challenges. It's post World War two Japan, so many people are struggling financially. The country as a whole is just trying to get his bearings after a horrible war. And of course, with hiking, by the time you invest in a pair of good boots and transportation to the trail, it could be considered expensive by some people and frivolous to spend money to basically just hike around a mountain in really tough economic times. But more than that, Junko is a girl, and at the time, Japan has very rigid social conventions for men and women, and hiking, climbing, and adventuring is squarely something men do. As Robert Horns reports for Sports Illustrated quote, despite Japan's tradition of explorers and ventures, many of those who dared to strike out on their own paths, especially women, risked the fate foreseen in the Japanese adage quote the nail that sticks up will be hammered down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Oh my god, what a time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And adventurers dreams were often not considered appropriate for a young Japanese woman. So that's end quote. So after those formative grade school field trips, Junko never looks back because she doesn't care. She is not for some reason, and I would love to know it. Was it just her personality did she have like a badass mom, But like these incredibly strict kind of rules and expectations just don't FaZe her. By the time she's in high school, she plans hiking trips whenever she can. It's almost a meditative practice for her. She says, quote, it wasn't like a competition. If you go slow, you can make it to the top, or if you must, you can quit in the middle. But Japan was very poor at the time. I couldn't think about climbing mountains or any kind of leisure. We had to worry about what we would eat. So Junko eventually enrolls in an all women's college in Tokyo, where she studies English literature and plans on becoming a teacher. Unlike her fondness for outdoor activities, this is considered a respectable path for young women. All the while, Junko is dreaming about climbing, though. She manages to find a like minded female friend at school and they train together during the week. On the weekends they head out to the mountains, and by the time Junko graduates in nineteen sixty two, she's become an experienced mountaineer, so as any other climber with her skill level would do. Junko goes right ahead and joins several alpine clubs. The thing is, these are understood to be for men at the time. Nothing like an alpine club exists for female climbers, and the reaction to Junko's membership is mixed. A few of the men respect her skill and her sense of adventure, but others outright refuse to climb with her, and many think that she's only hanging around to find a husband. Okay, did you go Yeah, it's not gorgeous, no Japanese mountains. You like hiking, but you.
Speaker 1: Don't think women like hiking?
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, you like it just fine. Yeah, and that's fine, but Junko stays focused, and by her mid twenties, she summoned every one of Japan's most prominent peaks.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: This includes Mount Fuji, which is about twelve four hundred feet above sea level. And she's funding these climbs by working as an editor for an academic journal and giving piano and English lessons. She does it all, I mean, and she's tiny.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: She spends most of her downtime either climbing or training with the hopes of summoning larger and larger peaks. And then in nineteen sixty five, Junko meets a man named Masu Nobu Tabei. He's a seasoned Japanese mountaineer in his own right. So she falls in love with another mountaineer.
Speaker 1: That's romantic. I gotta find someone who at least who likes yourself supports your hobby.
Speaker 2: Yeah. They fall in love and they're married the next year when Junko is twenty seven years old. But her parents don't approve of this marriage because Masunobu doesn't have a college degree, but Junko marries him anyway. She doesn't give a shit about anything. She's like, oh is that your opinion about my life, I'll see you later.
Speaker 1: Enjoy it.
Speaker 2: And the two have a daughter together, who they named Noriko, and later they have a son named Shinya. So now is she not only the rare female mountaineer in nineteen sixties Japan, she's also a working mother. When she's in her early thirties, Junko says that she quote began to dream about going to the Himalayas with a team of only women. Woo to make that happen, she does something that's never been done before in Japan. In nineteen sixty nine, she forms the country's very first women's climbing organization. Its name, translated into English, is sometimes reported as Ladies Climbing Club and sometimes reported as Women's Mountaineering, depending on how people feel about it. Yeah, and the group's slogan is quote, let's go on an overseas expedition by.
Speaker 1: Ourselves translation yes, let's let's.
Speaker 2: Around fifteen women join Junko's group, each united by a dream to climb the world's tallest mountains, but finding time to train is not easy. Like Junco, these women have jobs, or families or both, and Japan's standard vacation time is just two weeks a year, which many people don't feel empowered to fully take because of Japan's intense work culture. So you have it, but you kind of aren't supposed to go on it. This is complicating in and of itself because these expeditions require time off for training and for travel, and on top of that, devoting time to a masculine hobby like mountaineering is stigmatized. In the nineteen seventies, the women face judgment for not wanting to devote their entire beings to their husbands and their children, to which Junko has said, quote, I am a housewife. I just climb mountains because I love it, and if people want to call me that crazy mountain woman, that's okay, cool love her. Eventually, Junko and her group plan an expedition to Anna Perna three in Nepal, which is nearly twenty five thousand feet in elevation. This is Junko's first time traveling outside of Japan, and she leads the climb. The group travels up a new route to Anna Perna three's summit, and they successfully reach the top on May nineteenth, nineteen seventy. Karen Kilgerrett is eight days old. It's her first week in the world. She's loving it. She's loving this energy. So they, on May nineteenth, nineteen seventy, become the first women ever to climb Anna Purna three.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And now their slogan is, let's be the first woman to climb Anna Purna three by ourselves.
Speaker 1: That's not true.
Speaker 2: It's there on the summit of Anna Purna three that Junko experiences another sort of spiritual awakening. Robert Horne reports and Sports Illustrated quote, the ascent profoundly changed her. There would be no more slaving in the late hours to prove that she was her company's most loyal worker, no more fears about speaking her mind, no more concerns about what people said behind her back.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: It's also in this moment that Junco really starts to consider climbing Mount Everest. Because she did that, Yeah, you might as well do this. Fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: She brings the idea to her climbing club and they begin to mobilize with that goal in mind. But Junko says, quote, most of the men in the alpine community were against our plan, saying that it would be impossible to go to Everest on a woman's only expedition. Why they're just so negative?
Speaker 1: God, can we get a little positivity? How about or just shut up?
Speaker 2: Or you show it if you can't zip it. So Junco and her crew set out to prove them wrong. They don't need us saying this, they're already doing it. It already happened. But getting to Everest is not easy. Of course. The women first need permission from Nepal's government, so they apply in nineteen seventy one, but then they're told that there's no space for their expedition and there won't be until nineteen seventy five five, so that would be upsetting. You have to wait four years to the average person, But they're not discouraged. They just figure it. It will give them more time to train, and Junko uses this long waiting period to help the group nail down sponsorships. But of course finding financial support is tricky. As Junko puts it, quote most companies reaction that was for women, it's impossible to climb Mount Everest. No vision, Yeah, why aren't you the company that goes? But if they do it totally will all.
Speaker 1: Be And even if they don't, they'll still get fucking yeah average like eyes on the prize.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we just have come. We truly have come a long way baby in marketing. Yes, and then we both smoke because now it's the Virginia Minute.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Plus, in the early seventies, Japan experiences a years long oil related economic crisis, so there's just less sponsorship money to go around. Fortunately, the group locks down two sponsorships, one from a major Upanese newspaper and one from a TV station, but the budget's relatively small. The mail groups often raise hundreds of thousands of dollars when they do their climbs, and they raise it in Japan and elsewhere. Junko's group only manages to raise about seventy thousand dollars. So to pick up the slack, each member has to come up with an additional approximately five thousand dollars each, and it's one point five million yen that they have to come up with, and it's worth do you want to guess in today's money?
Speaker 1: He said, they have to come up with five thousand dollars in the seventies, which in today's money would be twenty eight.
Speaker 2: Thirty thousand, so close. So finally, nineteen seventy five rolls around it's time for the women to head to Nepal. Years later, Outside magazine reporter Brad Frenette will ask Junko if she ever felt hesitation as the climb date approached. She says, quote, no, I never thought of giving up once we had worked so hard to obtain the climbing permit. Yeah, she got the paperwork. No, she's not going anywhere. So that spring the women set out. Junko is thirty five at the time, and she serves as co leader for the fifteen woman expedition. They're accompanied by six experienced Sherpa guides, and together they embark on the most difficult, grueling climb of their lives. Any ever's climb is punishing, and Junko's is no exception. But by May third, nineteen seventy five, her group has steadily made it more than twenty thousand feet and they have about nine thousand feet to go now. Around this point they encounter terrible weather, which is a reality climber's face of course, as they go up Everest, especially the closer they get to the top, So these gals set up camp. They try to get some rest before continuing on but it's not a lovely bucolic spot. It's freezing cold. They're in tents that are being whipped around by these terrible winds. Hours later, when they're sleeping, not long after midnight on May fourth, Junko is awakened by an extremely loud, low rumble, and she instantly knows what it is. It's an avalanche barreling down the mountain.
Speaker 1: I saw a video recently of an avalanche, and I.
Speaker 2: Like, no, no, no, no, no no.
Speaker 1: It's terrifying.
Speaker 2: It's horrible. So before she can even react, Junko is swept up by a wall of snow and ice. She is tangled in her tent with the some other climbers. So they are tumbling down the mountain, getting knocked all over the place and against each other, and it's really violent and chaotic, of course. And then once it ends, they're buried in the snow, still in the tent. Yeah, while wrapped up. When it all comes to stop, Junko is an extreme pain. She worries she's going to die. She then has a vision of her daughter Narko playing outside their home back in Tokyo, and then she blacks out.
Speaker 1: Jesus.
Speaker 2: The next thing she remembers is the sherpa guides pulling her out of the snow by her ankles. My god, which actually probably be pretty easy because she's little tiny. Somehow, miraculously everyone survives the avalanche, which Junko credits to the experience and quick thinking of their sherpas. Thank god. I mean, like fifteen women just but they're not totally unscathed. Junko is battered and bruised, and her body is extremely sore. She has to rest for two days before she's even able to lift herself up. Wow, let alone keep climbing.
Speaker 1: Oh, like that would be the end of it.
Speaker 2: Yes, no for me, like like thanks so much, but she's.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much for there was an avalanche on me.
Speaker 2: But she's like, we got the permit. Yeah, we're not leaving. Yeah, m she And actually what she did say is quote, as soon as I knew everyone was alive, I was determined to continue.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: The women continue working towards Everest's peak, with Junko still at the helm. At times, her injuries are so bad she has to crawl on her hands and knees.
Speaker 1: So fun She's no excuse, I.
Speaker 2: Don't you get out to Griffith Park tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm talking about like doing my laundry. I'm not even talking about it.
Speaker 2: Just do it on your hands and knees.
Speaker 1: I can't. I have no hands my laundry.
Speaker 2: When this, yeah, I know, I mean I think there's some people born with this like brain chemistry that's like up up up yeah yeah yeah, God bless them. So she has to crawl on her hands and knees, but she just keeps going. And then twelve days later, the team reaches the final camp of their climb, which is just below Everest's Peak. By this point, they are running low on oxygen. Originally they'd plan to send two women up to the summit. Now they only have enough oxygen to send one. These women clearly love one another. On this mountaineering team, no one wants to take the glory for themselves. But after they discuss it, the team decides Junko should be the one to make the final push to the top. They're like, get on your hands and knees and you crawl up there. So now Junko realizes that to get to Everest's summit, she has to climb this skinny ridge of ice. We may have talked about it on your story. I can't remember. It is just wide enough for a human body a ridge of ice. There are fifteen thousand foot drops on either side.
Speaker 1: For that drop.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, it's called the Knife Edge ridge, and it leads up to the Hillary Step, which is like the final spot before you go you're on the peak. Oh my god, so it's named after Edmund Hillary. She's going to Hillary Step.
Speaker 1: That must be just like a moment for those climbers.
Speaker 2: Right, and then also for her where it's like I don't know if they are aware of it, but like she's the first one. Yeah, so it's like a true moment. One wrong move here, though, would absolutely result in a fatal fall. It's all or nothing. I didn't understand that, I think until I read this story. Junko, who's accompanied by a celebrated Sherpa guide named on Sharing now must crawl sideways while sort of hugging the ridge to make it to the Hillary Step, later says quote, I'd never felt that tense in my entire life. I felt all my hair standing on end. I had no idea I would have to face that, even though I read all the accounts of previous expeditions. I got so angry at the previous climbers who hadn't warned me about that knife edge traverse in their expedition records. Isn't that so like men?
Speaker 1: My heart just dropped thinking of doing that, like crawling.
Speaker 2: Hugging, and she didn't know it was share. No one said hey, also real quick, Yeah, things are scary. No, But just afternoon on May sixteenth, nineteen seventy five, Junko Tabe reaches the summit of Mount Everest and becomes the first woman ever and the thirty sixth person in history to do it. She's made it to the highest point on Earth. Wow, so thirty five dudes. Yeah, didn't tell the secret.
Speaker 1: Sucks.
Speaker 2: Later, when asked if she shouted or cried when she reached the summit, Junko simply says, quote, I didn't shout anything. I just thought, oh, I don't have to climb anymore. Yeah, we love her.
Speaker 1: Got to save your energy. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Word of Junko's historic summit spreads quickly and becomes a celebratory moment around the world. The King of Nepal even reaches out and awards medals of honor to Junko and the rest of the women in her climbing team Wow back in Japan, Any naysayers the women may encounter are overshadowed by a wall of glowing media coverage. They're profiled in newspapers, covered in countless news reports, they become the subject of a TV mini series, and they're memorialized in textbooks. Junko, of course, draws a particular amount of interest from the public, and not just because of her historic summit. She's also celebrated for her humble leadership and her devotion to her teammates, and for how she never once gave up despite her injuries from being in that avalanche. Junko doesn't exactly love being in the spotlight, though, and she knows she could capitalize off of all this media interest and that would certainly help pay for future climbs. She chooses to decline all corporate sponsorships, and she does this because quote, if I accept a sponsorship, then climbing the mountain is not my own experience. It's like working for the company.
Speaker 1: Wow Yep yeah.
Speaker 2: Instead, Junko supports herself by continuing to teach music and English, but also working as a hiking guide, writing books and giving speeches. In those speeches, she encourages others to chase their dreams, even if it means defining social norms. Junko tells crowds to quote, be the nail that sticks out. Yeah, be the nail that sticks out.
Speaker 1: That's what you said to me. Well, then I'm going to use it against you.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, turn it around.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah.
Speaker 2: Junco spends the rest of her life doing exactly what she loves, which of course, is climbing. In nineteen ninety two, at fifty three years old, she completes another historic first. Junka becomes the very first woman to complete this seven summits, which are the highest mountains on each continent.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: These include Denali, Kilimanjaro, and Mount Vincent in Antarctica.
Speaker 1: What that was your mom?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: How inspiring would that be?
Speaker 2: You keep coming home with a bag of laundry and you're like, hello, is any no one?
Speaker 1: No one open? Like i'd bean like inspire inspiration wise where it's like, oh, my mom's fifty something like I should.
Speaker 2: Probably like do something like her, Yes, exactly. Over the years, Junko becomes more and more interested in the environmental toll of modern climbing, especially on Everest, and by the nineteen nineties there's a shift towards high budget commercial expeditions, which are often taken by wealthy climbers who outsource much of the heavy lifting to guides and sherpas.
Speaker 1: Right, it's like luxury hiking.
Speaker 2: Yes, and Juneo's very critical of luxury hiking, calling them quote intensive care unit climbers. Wow, that's because of all the critical support they have along the way. But what troubles her the most is all of the damage caused by the increased foot trap and trash left behind on Everest, which is a problem that's only gotten worse over the years. Oh sorry, I thought I was in a quote that whole time, But it was just intense intensive care unit climbers was just her little okay quote, that's a barbed yeah, I say, but it's true. It's like you're creating, you're not trained, you're not serious about it truly, and then when you get up there, they have to helicopter you out. Yeah, that's what happened when I went skiing for the first time. So to do what she can to protect her beloved mountains, Junko not only studies the impacts of trash on mountain landscapes, but she also starts organizing clean up trips both in Japan and abroad. Her husband and children often join her on these trips, and along the way she never stops uplifting other women. By two thousand and five, Junko has participated in forty four all female clients.
Speaker 1: Holy shit, But really.
Speaker 2: She's interested in cultivating young mountaineers, so she starts leading yearly expeditions to Mount Fuji with Japanese high schoolers, and she climbs with them every year, even after she's diagnosed with stomach cancer in twenty twelve.
Speaker 1: Twenty twelve. Wow.
Speaker 2: Yes, So even as Junko battles cancer, she continues taking trips to Mount Fuji, but in twenty sixteen, for the first time, she has to stop halfway up the climb, and she passes away a few months later in October at the age of seventy seven.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: So she basically started climbing mountains as a child that never stopped.
Speaker 1: That's so inspiring I know.
Speaker 2: Today, Junko Tobaee is remembered for her endless courage, relentless environmental advocacy, and dedication to uplifting fellow adventurers, especially women, and of course the many climbs she completed. Throughout her amazing life. She summoned at least seventy mountains across the globe, and in doing so, she proved wrong those who doubted her and helped change the pervasive image of what a mountaineer looks like. Shortly before Junko's death in twenty seventeen, she was asked what she would say to her younger self if she had the opportunity. She responded with advice that we could all stand to hear. Junko said, quote, do not give up, keep on your quest. Wow, and that's the story of trailblazing Japanese mountaineer Junko to bay.
Speaker 1: Holy shit, man, maybe I'll start hiking again.
Speaker 2: You could just do flat, flat hikes, yeah, you know, to start Yeah.
Speaker 1: Is that still a hike or is that just walking?
Speaker 2: I mean, I think it's you can use whatever your word you want, right, they can't prove it wasn't a hike.
Speaker 1: Right, there's a slight incline.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it still counts. Also, the thing I really like in the message of this Junko's message. But then, like the way she lived her life, I was, of course watching this TikTok this morning where they're like, how do we dismantle the patriarchy? How would women do that? And it's just this idea of like, you don't stay quiet, you don't fall prey to these cultural restrictions or norms of women are like this, or women are supposed to do this. You make your own money, you make your own business. You don't give up even when things are hard, or even when people say shit about you. It's like you just keep going and you just keep doing the thing you want to do and let them talk.
Speaker 1: Right, Like, you don't have to debate them, not all. You don't have to argue with them online, you don't have to like engage, just keep doing what you're doing.
Speaker 2: Because doing it is the example for the next generation. We have to show women, young women what's possible and then they can do it. Then everyone's just doing it for each other.
Speaker 1: Podcasting that's our So we're showing.
Speaker 2: Them podcasting and this podcasting is the same as mountaineering.
Speaker 1: This is stolen valorioe. Yeah, and I'm proud of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I am too. Well, that's a solo story.
Speaker 1: Great job. That was definitely one for the books. Thank you, Thank you guys so much for listening.
Speaker 2: Do not give up. No, keep on your quests. Yeah, stay sexy and don't get murdered.
Speaker 1: Goodbye, Elvis. Do you want a cookie?
Speaker 2: This has been an exactly right production.
Speaker 1: Our senior producer is Molly Smith and our associate producer is Tessa Hughes.
Speaker 2: Our editor is Aristotle lass Vedo.
Speaker 1: This episode was mixed by Leona Squalocci.
Speaker 2: Our researchers are Mayor McGlashan and Ali Elkin.
Speaker 1: Email your hometowns to My Favorite Murder at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: And follow the show on Instagram at my Favorite Murder.
Speaker 1: Listen to My Favorite Murder on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: And now you can watch My Favorite Murder on Netflix.
Speaker 1: And when you're there, hit the double thumbs up and the remind Me buttons. That's the best way you can support our show.
Speaker 2: Goodbye,