Speaker 1: That is a sound effect of a sidekick circa two thousand and six, alerting all of you virgins that we are here with another episode of like a Virgin. Yes we are, We're back, baby. This is our first proper, like actual main feed episode that we're putting out, not just on Patreon.
Speaker 2: In a while, And honestly, we are so generous. This is like the juiciest possible episode we could be giving to y'all without a paywall, Like you're welcome for this free episode. We're about to pop the fuck off today.
Speaker 1: We were born talking to you. We're talking met Gala, we're talking gay HBO shows, but most importantly, we are talking the devil is product too uh, the Devil's product to to devil to product to run too way way to run.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let me tell you we were born to review this movie.
Speaker 1: We were. But we're gonna we're gonna edge you all a little bit. We're gonna save the discussion for later in the episode. First, we have a couple of you know, trending topics. We have a moose boosh of so just some stuff that that we wanted to talk about before we get into our main discussion of the episode. Because we know we're gonna go long. Yes, And I guess we should start with the most topical of them, which is that the met Gala was last night. Yes, and it was shipped from a butt.
Speaker 2: It was shipped from a butt.
Speaker 1: Is okay? This is a question I want to post to you. Is the met Gala over?
Speaker 2: I think the met Gala has kind of over. I think that it is undeniable that there is no event that would better encapsulate like the imagination of the fashion world. There's no there's nothing can ever touch it in terms of like what it's accomplished on the you know, thrills and chills in vava voom of it all in the fashion world. Like. And I think when the theme is good, the met Gala is good to be honest, like even when yes, like I think that Metala is good when the theme is good, like I'm sorry, Like I loved the Camp met Gala. I thought it was fabulous.
Speaker 1: Yes, but I do think that the Camp met Gala this killed the met Gala. And since then everyone's showing up either in something really boring because they don't want to get torn apart online, or they show up looking like party City. I wanted to yell at Heidi Clume last night, like fucking like fucking Fifi O'Hara to Sharon Needles, go back to party city where you belong.
Speaker 2: Here's okay, So I'm actually gonna start to disagree with you right now?
Speaker 1: Is that okay?
Speaker 2: I actually think that Heidi Klume brought what I believe is the best you can bring to a met Gala theme. I'm girl this this night.
Speaker 1: Charlie is the babes.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing, fashion and subjective. If you don't like something that somebody is wearing, nine times out of ten, you know it might actually be really fab and you actually are just not the person that doesn't like it. And then other times it's like, oh no, no, we can unanimously agree that that is a go, go, go go. Sorry, Hudson Williams, you look like Tyler Ashley wearing like the dress, like if the dress was cut into a suit, and and that is actually giving him too much credit because Tyler Ashley looks much better than him. Sorry, but with Heidi Klune, that is avant garde. The Megala is about avant garde couture, go there fashion. If you are not, you cannot wear this anywhere else but the Megala. And yes, was Heidi Klum giving Halloween Town, Yes.
Speaker 1: Halloween Town too, calibars revenge.
Speaker 2: Calibars revenge. But was it fashion ten thousand percent? And you know, Anakia, I think like that was like a much more reserved version of like that I did for.
Speaker 1: Me works not only because our good Judy Laurel Charleston, Yes, worked worked on that, but one could argue that they had the party city quality because it's like an encased like wig like it's a lot of make up, a lot of prosthetic work. Yes, but that to me, I just think I'm here for you on fashion being subjective. I just the I guess the place where I'm coming from, and I think both of these, both of our opinions are valid. Yes, uh, the place I'm coming from.
Speaker 2: Sorry again, but it's fine.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well you guys. You guys will be used to hear interruptions on the podcast. The I guess where I'm coming from is I think what people like Heidi Klume or like Jared Leto when he came in the first suit are doing it. It's just going past fashion and into costume. Well, but that's the thing Diva, the theme is costume art. So if the theme is costume art, it actually makes sense that this year, out out of any every other year, like yes, bad Bunny should wear like an old man face. Like actually that was like a bit confusing to me, Like the about how he looked like sexy Colonel Sanders, he did look sexy. He did look sexy. I mean, he's gonna be hot as fuck when he's seventy.
Speaker 2: What I can agree with you, So so what I I think every single year celebrities struggle to interpret the theme because if you're not aware, the theme of the Met Gala exhibit is always different than the theme of the actual Met Gala. And if the theme of the metal exhibit is the dressed body, the theme of the actual metal is costume art, and those and then and then celebrities are kind of like, you know, getting their pannies all up in a bundle, trying to figure out how the fuck to interpret the theme. And they think that they should also reference the Met Gala like exhibit theme, and then they try to combine them and like it's like it's always a bit of a mess. Like and so to me, like when I look at when I try to evaluate, like the looks at the Mechala, I'm usually wanting to like reward somebody that's really fucking going there, And like I do think Heidi Klum, even though it wasn't my favorite look of the night, like embodies that I also think Madonna like was given like.
Speaker 1: They're they're does they're deuce there does seem And I actually think that this was nowhere better exemplified than with hud Con Hudson Williams and Connor Story. Right, what we have now is people either doing way too little because they don't want to look a fool, or because they're contractually obligated towards something boring, or they do too much and they do look a fool. And I think Connor Story showing up in his best Macy's mal drag looking like miss ma'am she in a YSL look that has been worn by at least five other celebrities on various red carpets, that is just doing too little and is boring. And then Hudson Williams shows up looking like Moira Rose from The Crow movie on his street and it's like and it's like, I guess I get where you're coming. From friend because with him, I'm like, you know what, at least he tried something. Yeah, yeah, like it was it was gogogo, but like, you know what, he went for it and he looks.
Speaker 2: Like the dress cut up into a suit. You know, the dress from the.
Speaker 1: Dress, the color changing dress. Yes, is it black? Is it black and blue? Or brown and yellow?
Speaker 2: That's what it looks like.
Speaker 1: You know what it was Neither it was none of those colors. No, it's black. It was black and blue. Baby, No it's black and white. No, it was his suit. His suit was white.
Speaker 2: No, it's absolutely blue.
Speaker 1: Am I cry? You're color blind? Baby? That's blue and no it's white. See.
Speaker 2: This is the thing about the dress. This is why it's the dress.
Speaker 1: We have another the dress. We have another. We just discovered live on air that we have another in the dress. You do the Balenciaga Shmata, the Hudson Williams war to the met Gala.
Speaker 2: I also can't believe that's Balenciaga.
Speaker 1: I need the version.
Speaker 2: I can back me up on this otherwise, I really I mean, yes, okay, I am color blind. But anyways, okay, so here's the other thing about the theme. It as because it's costume art, right, It's like the challenge of it is, like how do you connect this idea of the of the dress body using the human form as a canvas for artistic expression. A lot of celebrities were explicitly referencing works of art, which I thought was cool, Like.
Speaker 1: Some cases that really worked, Like my favorite look of the night was Hunter Schaeffer in Prada, which was like a specific reference of this climmed painting and so mean, like no one has ever looked more beautiful or like ethereal or statuesque as her, And I love that that It's like an overt, explicit reference but through the lens of fashion and through the lens of Prada specifically, Like that's a very Prada dress, right it is. But I don't think that everyone who.
Speaker 2: Tried to do that exceeded, like I thought Madonna that I don't know if you were able to, like look at the painting that Madonna is referencing.
Speaker 1: It's did I did see it?
Speaker 2: It's the Leonora Carrington piece. Like what she did was fucking cool, even though I actually think that the fabric that was draped around her was like not super expensive looking and it could have looked could have been a little cleaner, but everything was amazing.
Speaker 1: It was very cool what she wore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she always kind of eats the megala up too. I think she always kind of slays. Yeah, if I remember correctly.
Speaker 1: I mean CARTI I always liked Prty was amazing. Someone I like posted on my Instagram story and someone replied like, she looks like a tumor. I was like, yes, that's why I like it, right, That's that's the point.
Speaker 2: But obviously, like Heidi Klum's like piece, also her her outfit was also referencing like a work of art.
Speaker 1: I did see Rachel Settler. I did see one meme of Heidi's outfit where it had been like edited to be all bright colors, and it was like, this is what the statue would have originally looked like in Greek and Roman times. Like you know how how we're always debunking that, like those kinds of statues are just like white, right. Oh yeah, it's so funny to explain memes on I know.
Speaker 2: But I you know, is to go back to your initial question, is the met Gala dead? I think it's been dead. I think that this year in particular, and we'll get into this in the doublewarest product to review, but this year in particular where you know, I believe Willie Norris referred to them as Missus Goblin and mister Goblin as co chairs of the the met Gala twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 2: It is such a dark, dark moment actually for the future of fashion, the future of this brand as it were, within the met Gala, and a kind of reinforcement of everything we didn't like about the Metcala before, right like before.
Speaker 1: Only it's only crystallized into becoming.
Speaker 2: Worse, exactly like every before AOC war that a Gooba go go tax the rich dress. Okay, we were, we were, we were watching the Megala and being like tax the rich, tax the rich.
Speaker 1: Like as far as I, as far as I, as far as I saw last night, I didn't see any gowns with things written on them.
Speaker 2: So that progress. That's that's a win for me, real progress. I totally agree. Yeah, I I feel.
Speaker 1: Very it was.
Speaker 2: It is very chilling actually for Jeff Basis and Lauren Sanchez to be there and not just there but so present, Like can I say something, yes, you think Lauren Sanchez looked good? I didn't mind her dress, girl, I mean the piece of art that she's referencing, like whatever, it's a more iconic paint, but it's boring. It's boring. She looks good, Yeah, she looks good, undeniable. You know Milania Trump also looks good a lot of the time. Yeah, you know, people that are horrible can also be clint.
Speaker 1: I may look at Emily Charlton and the Devil is Product too.
Speaker 2: Will get there, baby, the missus Sanchez of the fictional world.
Speaker 1: Okay, who was your favorite look of the night.
Speaker 2: I really did love an ox look.
Speaker 1: I really looked amazing. What did you think of What did you think of Beyonce? It's a little a little matronly.
Speaker 2: No, Beyonce and Rihanna, like, uh, they can really do no wrong to me. I'm sorry to lump them together, but they are actually like Beyonce hasn't gone to the Mecallen a while, but which she does, she always wins, And every time Rihanna goes to the Mecalic she wins. And the two of them felt like I felt like Rihanna was pretty. She looked pretty immaculate, But was it the kind of like, oh my god, I will never ever forget what you wore to this met Gala. No, and that the same went for Beyonce. Like I I think that there there are just two of the I would say that two of the most central figures of the met Gala and people that we expect to really turn the fuck out. It's exciting to always see Beyonce there. But I kind of wish she had gone with something that was just a little more campy or more of a reference or like I didn't quite I think the concept was like it just didn't have a concept, if that makes sense.
Speaker 1: It was like, look at my sparkly bones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like and she's the queen of body, and so I like see how it could be like body, Like, yes, I'm dressed. Is the kind of place I.
Speaker 1: Should have just reworn her Herpes dress.
Speaker 2: She should have just rewarn Herpees dress, which actually looks amazing. But instead she was like, let me let me be, let me like be this statue of Liberty.
Speaker 1: If I was like Jack Skellington, realness.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Statue of Liberty designed by Scarrowsky. I mean it doesn't look bad. I'm looking at it right now.
Speaker 1: No, it doesn't look bad. It's just and I think a lot of things last night, and this is also a preview about how I feel about the movie we'll be talking about later. A lot of the things didn't look bad. I just wasn't really gagged.
Speaker 2: I wasn't really gagged. But I think my favorite, I mean my favorite favorite favorite, I think it was a knock. I really did love the same looks that you loved.
Speaker 1: I love the dipa with the hands, this woman in this Robert One dress that had hands on it, that moved.
Speaker 2: That was so wait not Jordan Roth No, okay.
Speaker 1: No, thank no different different person. Okay, I are we can we I.
Speaker 2: Think we can move on. I think we can move on.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about something homo erotic. Hell yeah, Melsey's new album.
Speaker 2: Oh I bet you were talking about half Man Okay, half.
Speaker 1: Mels either either of those things. Well, like a brief brief thoughts about Melcie's new album. Really, it's just I also Melcy Melsey has a new album, and you should listen to it because Melsie of is the most slept on spice girl okay, and has been making really good, super super gay dance music the entire time she's been in like since the Spice Girls wor Thing. So listen to her album. It's really sexy and fun and like everything on it sounds like being at a gay bar in like two thousand and three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is giving kind of two thousand and three, Like it reminded me a bit of like it's kind of okay. So I don't love the album. I only listened to it once. I really did not. I'm not going to return to it. I'm sorry because in part because it's but two thousand and three rings true because it's kind of giving, like kids Bop Calise, Like it's like a little bit, it's a little bit like.
Speaker 1: It's one long Hex's Hector remix. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I love like Ogo Boga gay guy music, Like I love like like I'm just gonna bop to this and it's like it's pretty fab and.
Speaker 1: The kind of music you're gonna hear while you're buying a pie at the Eagle.
Speaker 2: Their annual Christmas Paea. Yeah, when they have their annual Christmas pie. Like if you if you're not aware, The Eagle in New York City has an annual Paea events of a.
Speaker 1: Place you'd more want to eat shellfish than the Eagle.
Speaker 2: Than the eagle on the rooftop of the eagle, and the whole eagle smells like fish, like hot fish, fish and saffron.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't even begin to tell you how much the Melcy album reminds me exactly of Pay at the Eagle. Yea, it is I love like I. Okay, here's something else that I'll say. I was at the New York City Center gala sitting at a table with Teffi and Miss Benny a few weeks ago, and when Melsey got up there to perform, she was wearing literally jeans and a T shirt. She looked so effortless, she was so controlled, she was so like she immediately fell all of this love from the room and they just hit the track. They put her in some nasty, nasty stage lighting, the cook the sound quality in a gala space Chippiani specifically so nasty, and she has nary a backup dancer, prop nor piece of Chorean baby, and she got that whole room on their mother fucking me standing up screaming because she's pretty bad. I mean, she did do Spice Girls songs, which was revelation, revelatory, but do you know how hard it is too to do a gala performance in nasty, nasty overhead lighting with bad sound in a fucking well, everybody sits and eats their fucking cold short ribbon mashed potatoes, like please.
Speaker 1: I was good. It was actually pretty good.
Speaker 2: But I I had to me, I like, she gained so much.
Speaker 1: I didn't.
Speaker 2: I'm not I didn't grow up on the Spice Girls. I used to think that the Spice Girls were a fictional band, like like, yeah, I didn't know where they were real and I I I have no attachment to Melsey or to the Spicy And so for she gained so much respect from me in that moment because I was like, you're such a great performer, you're feeling all of the love.
Speaker 1: She always so much with little she did. I didn't know that she always did those runs in the songs, like she was always the one belting on the bridge.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you listened to it, but did you buy any chance to listen to Nina Geracci's I Love My Computer?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Okay, sorry, just like while we're on the side to me, yeah I did. Actually I'll send it to you again, but no, I'll just look, are are you okay, Lou Pilled.
Speaker 1: Do you like Okay?
Speaker 2: I like ok okay, so I'm recently okay Lou Pilled. She performed at Here in New York, and opening for I wasn't there, but opening for her was Nina Giacci, and I had heard about Nina Geracci, but I had never really engaged, and I was like, you know what, actually, let me give it a listen. And her twenty twenty five album I Love My Computer is actually and I'm so late to this, but like one of my favorite things I've listened to is such a long fucking time, Like I don't know if you would love it, Rose, because it is like quintessential pots and pants, like Pete, like insane, like Sophie Sophie time, PCP like noise music, not PCP PC PC noise PC noise.
Speaker 1: Yeah, girl, I mean I I was there at the beginning.
Speaker 2: And I was there when the scrolls were I was there. Please listen to the album and then we'll discuss.
Speaker 1: The other time. Let's talk about something slightly less homoerotic than Melcy half Man.
Speaker 2: I told you to watch this.
Speaker 1: Watch it was it was like I knew that it was happening, and I planned to watch it when it came out, but I didn't know that it had started. So like you reminded me of that because I did watch Baby Reindeer. I think we maybe talked about it. Did you watch it? Yeah as well? Yeah, and it's you're right, It's was so extremely my shit. It is so like a virgin core toxic, toxic, homo erotic, you know, flashback storytelling young gay guys in love, old gay guys in love beating each other up. One of them, one of them looks like every man who's ever messaged me on grinder. I'm talking about Richard gadd. He's just like, it's so right that he was a chaser and Baby Reindeer because he just looks like he's such a chaser, Like he looks like a chaser, exactly like a chaser, especially especially a European chaser. Let me tell you, half Man, Richard Goad's half man on HBO Max is literally prestige stepbrother porn like his family dick, but elevated. Yes it is.
Speaker 2: I mean it is like slightly soapy like the Sometimes this script is like very like river Dale melodrama, but like I half man.
Speaker 1: But that works because half of it is with you know, teenager.
Speaker 2: Yes, and actually we should tell the versions. We should tell the versions of the plant.
Speaker 1: So the premise of it is there are these two boys who go to the same high school in the nineties. Their moms are lesbians who are living together, and so they are forced into this kind of you know, pseudo brother relationship.
Speaker 2: They each have like a lesbian it's like lesbian stepmothers, right like, and they kind of hate each They kind of hate, kind of.
Speaker 1: Hate each other. They kind of yeah, they like they I think they hate the what having queer moms in the eighties in Scotland turns their lives into And that's why one of them, who is gay like seems really closeted and the other one, who seems maybe kind of by pan whatever, is just like very tied up in sort of talks masculinity. And then like the framing of the show is that years later, the gay one is getting married to a man and his brother shows up at the day of his wedding after being released from prison and like beats him up. But like, you know, that seems like sort of a like a warm hug for them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so it has every single trope in gay porn that I need.
Speaker 1: The it has. It's like, you know what I love. It's like the trope that that it the best does for me. It's like the bad boy but he cares about you. He hates everyone, but he cares about you. Yes, bitch, that's so. It's so fan fiction. Like baby this this show has read this fan fiction before.
Speaker 2: To be honest, Yeah, like baby, this fan fiction has everything.
Speaker 1: Seen this boom before, like the cum shot.
Speaker 2: Can we we should list some of the things that happen in the show that are like so like mind blowing Lee Homer Rods.
Speaker 1: Okay, So, in the first episode, after the two boys have been moved in together by their mothers, the bad boy sneaks in in the middle of the night with his girlfriend I guess and basically huge ticks you basically uses I like she is She very much is like consenting in this scenario, but the way the dynamic plays out is he kind of fucks the the other kid with her.
Speaker 2: He uses her to fuck him once again prestige step brother porn. They sneak in through the window. They the bad brother in her start to fuck The girl goes ugh, aren't you? Are we gonna wake him up? He's literally like three feet away, Like he's literally three feet away in the bed Like that is such like it is such gay porn logic, like, oh, are we gonna wake him up?
Speaker 3: Up?
Speaker 2: I'm like, girl, he's wide away, he's what I like what.
Speaker 1: Eye opened like watching?
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, breaks up jerking off. They realize he's awake, and then they start to they kind of like they're like, oh, you're such a pev.
Speaker 3: He's such a fucking pev. Oh yeah, And you have to keep in mind throughout all of this. They're Scottish right now. Their names are Nile and Reuben. I I had to look it up love the sandwich.
Speaker 2: Oh you're such a fucking pav Nile anyways, and so they're like, you like us so much, wanted you fuck up. And then instead of instead of the step brother, instead of the mean step brother, Reuben fucking the girl. He puts the girl on top of his stepbrother and then holds his hand and breathes into his mouth, and and and and teaches him how to suck through it. He literally talks coaches him through fucking his first woman woman.
Speaker 1: Her hips using like That's what I mean when I say yes, he's he's using her to fuck the brother. It was.
Speaker 2: Wais crazy. Also, I was bricked up. Also like he has like wet dreams about his stepbrother.
Speaker 1: He like.
Speaker 2: He like is like constantly They're constantly like the the the younger brother is like constantly like looking at him shirtless and being like they wake up spooning. Yes they wait, right they they in the in the kind of beginning of the series, they really don't get along and he Reuben is very much so the bully to this younger kid, Nile, this younger stepbrother Nile. And yeah, no they they they get in a fight and then they fall asleep together like embracing. But it's like a fight embrace when they wake up, and it's like so romantic.
Speaker 1: You're so romantic.
Speaker 2: It's so romantic. That's a thing, is like, because I mean, and their minds you they're not I guess they are. Are they actually step brothers. The moms aren't married, are they.
Speaker 1: They kick they can't get married and they eighties in Scotland.
Speaker 2: Right, so really they're women, and so it's like they are still step brothers. But it's just all of the kind. They refer to each other as brothers. Yes, they do, and that's why that way it's so it's so hot roads.
Speaker 1: And then in the second episode, we add another man to the equation who is so extremely beautiful, and.
Speaker 2: He has one of those gay guy faces where you're like, I want to protect you and cuddle you, and like I want to make sure you're going to be able.
Speaker 1: To single earring in your in your gay ear uh and make sure that you feel comforted. And I want to bake you a loaf of sour dough and I want to slowly finger your ass.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and and and mind you, like the two step brothers have like all of this like internalized homophobia, internalized like toxic masculinity. That then complicates niles potential relationship with this new twink.
Speaker 1: Which I love it, which is also complicated, And I love that they have this discussion in the second episode that he's like, I know it's a rational for me to feel weird about being gay. I literally have a gay mom. I know that it's okay, but for some reason that actually only makes it harder for him yep, yep, and which is very interesting, Like I.
Speaker 2: Don't know how you feel about the script sometimes like sometimes it is like a little schmaltzy, it is okay.
Speaker 1: I thought that a couple times while watching, but yeah, whatever.
Speaker 2: But but the thing is, like it I don't remember if Baby Reindeer was like at times smaalty. I think it was okay because I remember that just like it just feeling there was so much realism in that, but I guess it does it. There is still like a very it's a melodrama baby, And like I can definitely tell that he's a playwright, you know, because that is where he got his star in experimental theater and oh shit, comedy. Oh that's so I didn't think about that, but that's so true. Like plays by their very nature are like anti realism. They're like all small, they're schmaltz and melodrama.
Speaker 1: And then so we find out in the second episode that in the future the Nile is marrying Albi, so they've like been together or maybe on and off all this time, we don't know. And the flat the flashback in the episode and the flashback in the second episode ends with Reuben beating the shit out of Albi, and we see that as an adult, he's still scarred from it so and he went to jail.
Speaker 2: He goes to jail.
Speaker 1: He goes to jail, and oh girl, I'm plugged. I'm sure he fucked some people in the ass. Oh got fucked in mass Oh for sure. Speaking of getting fucked in the ass, is it time? Is it time? Okay? Rose?
Speaker 2: When we sat down in the theater to watch Devil Wars product to.
Speaker 1: And which I had already scene it twice, Rose shepherded my viewing into reality. Oh yeah, right.
Speaker 2: At first I was like, oh, actually, I think I have predictions and Rose was like okay, and I was like, actually, maybe I'm going to tell you my predictions now, so they're locked and you can tell me, like which one of them and then we can It'll be like a galgan on which ones are like true and false? And one of my predictions that happened in the film. And it was so crazy. When this happened, I said, I said, I I know that Anne Hathaway is going to take it up the ass and she did and she did.
Speaker 1: It was crazy. Opening scene of the movie. It was a wild So if you haven't seen it, at the opening scene of the movie, it's kind of recreating from the first movie. You know, Andy's brushing her teeth in front of the mirror, and so for this one they updated it so she's using an electric toothbrush, and then the camera pulls back and you see that she's just gnnent over the sink and Miranda is behind her with a strap in the ass. You know, it's about women's empowerment ultimately, and you're like, it's about it's about how she's more of a confident character this year, this this movie, and you're like, wow, okay, so I wonder what else has changed in twenty years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you're not aware, the film is literally based and it's like it literally takes place in twenty twenty six, like it could not actually be more present day, and it's in a very shocking shocking way. Like there's a scene where like Anne Hathaway's like in her apartment there's like an oh Mary tote in the background, Like it is like so of this time.
Speaker 1: And I think the way that it's the most of this time is and and this kind of you know leads us like we'll talk a little bit and please spoilers. Spoilers besides and getting fucked in the ass, which is a huge spoiler, a huge spoiler, and we wanted, we wanted everyone to know that it happens. But yeah, I think this is probably a good place to talk, just like briefly about the premise of the movie, because I think one of the things that I was most surprised by this film, the thing that I never thought would happen, was that it was actually about something. There was a plot. What you're saying in comparison to the last movie, comparison to the last movie, which is basically a bunch of montages strung together. And I assumed, because you know, this is nostalgia bait, this is a you know, cash grab, reboot, remake, sequel, whatever, that it would just be another you know, compilation of montages. And in fact, it kind of was still I mean, it was at least it had a story. It had it had a plot that that really drove the film. That it really stayed very dedicated to exploring that story, and that story was very of its time. So for anyone who hasn't seen it, the double and I guess if you don't want to, but just want to hear us talk about it, Doubles Proud of Too starts off with Andy losing her job at her paper. All of the staff are laid off well, and it's while they're at an awards ceremony.
Speaker 2: It's a kind of like The Guardian, the New York Times. It's a prestige journalistic independent, like you know, Publications, last institution.
Speaker 1: At the same time this is happening, a story is breaking that Runway wrote this kind of glowing piece about what we're I guess supposed to assume is a sort of like she and stand in Yeah, And so they're getting canceled and the CEO decides and we'll learn more later. This was one of my favorite twists of the movie. The moment that I awed the most was that the CEO is sent a viral video of Anne Hathaway preach about how important journalism is, something that would, I'm sorry, never go viral, never ever, ever, not in a single not a single timeline, would that go viral? No one cares. And he's like, and he's like, well, let's hire her to be the new features editor and gain some credibility back right, And he does this behind Miranda's back. So Andy's back at Runway, but the two are clashing, even though Andy writes this you know, sort of Meyakulpa apology letter that lots of people like the sentiment of, but no one actually reads. And I thought that was a very funny running joke in the movie, that no one actually read the article, and like that says so much about the state of media.
Speaker 2: So many, like, so many different things they can give this movie credit for. Among them, it's depiction of journalism and very if you know, you know, kind of funny things about the world, the non existent world of journalism, and how yes, like nobody actually clicks on the stories that go viral. They read the headline, they read the Instagram post and that's it, you know.
Speaker 1: So so Andy, through this reconnects with Emily, who is now a high up executive at Dior, has something to do with advertising and retail.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 1: Andy is like struggling at Runway, but she manages to land a big interview with Lucy lou who is a divorced billionairess. Miranda looks like she's finally going to get the big global head of content job she really wants because things have turned around. But then shockingly, the CEO of Elias Clark, which owns Runway, dies and his son takes over wants to totally restructure the company, and he decides to use Emily's connection to Justin Throw's you know of Jeff Bezos stand in character to buy the magazine that's Justin Throw, Yes, in a lot of prosthetics Why But it turns out Emily is doing this for her own gain. Then, in a last ditch effort to save things, Andy and Miranda team up to get Lucy Lu's billionaire divorcee to buy the company and they all get to keep their jobs, and we find out that it was Nigel who sent the viral clip which again would never go viral in any reality, to Irv's son played by bj Novak, and he says, I think something like you thought this job just fell into your lap. And I think that was the sweetest moment of the movie.
Speaker 2: I thought, for me, the sweetest moment of the movie was when they sold the company to the good billionaire, not the bad billionaire.
Speaker 1: Well, actually, the actual sweetest moment of the movie was when Miranda fucks Andy. Y.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a really tender moment. Okay, So backing up a few First of all, I one of the actual that was a prediction that I made Another prediction that I made was that Miranda would get canceled, but I predicted that correctly. But I also said that it would happen to you. You thought it was going to be in the midpoint.
Speaker 1: Drama of the movie, which I thought the same thing too, And I love that it happens right at the beginning. Obviously would happen, and it's kind of the inciting incident, but it doesn't go much further than that, and it doesn't be that into the ground because honestly, it's such a tired concept at this point. I'm so happy that they didn't really run it through kind of the same way that I was really happy that they got all of the real obvious callbacks to the first movie out of the way right up front, Like you have that shot in during the opening credits, when Andy's walking past the met of the person holding up the two belts, and like they they indulge in those things, and like all of the kind of trailer jokes that are references to the original movie, they're all of the ones that were in the trailer. Those are really the only ones that are in the movie. Like no one ever says Cerulean, Like it's they they were very measured with that kind of stuff, which I appreciate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they well, they were able to they were able to plant really delicious Easter eggs without like really kind of looking directly at Cameron spending a lot of time in it. Like there's a moment where there is some like a street vendor like holding up two different kinds of belts that look exactly the same, and it's a reference to like the belt, like the belt monologue or whatever. Andy wears a cerulean sweater vest and the last scenes of the movie that is referential to that moment. Also when they're the movie kind of starts with the met gala and as Miranda is ascending the stairs, there is a huge banner on the side the museum that says spring Florals, which I thought, again, I thought that was clever, but it is again those little easter eggs, and then again like.
Speaker 1: It gets them out of the way right up front. It Like I do feel like so much of the way this movie is structured and is like a bait and switch of what of the movie that you're expecting it to be and the movie that it actually wants to be. And I really appreciated that, Like it really does follow all the same beats as the first movie. You know, she gets the job, she's bad at the job, she gets a makeover, she gets slightly better at the job, she gets good enough that she gets sort of pulled into the more kind of behind the scenes machinations. She tries to solve things on her own. Miranda sort of you know, thwarts her. Like it hits all those same beats, but in updated ways that are all tied around this story worry about like really examining what this kind of legacy media it is in our contemporary time. And I thought that was really surprising in a good way. Like again, I just I was so surprised at help like competently this movie that I thought would be like nothing was made.
Speaker 2: I totally I it's okay, just a level set with the virgins. I didn't really like this movie, like I would say, I would give it a two on letterbox. I obviously had complete and total delight during many moments of the film, and I enjoyed the fan service and the callbacks, but among other moments, and also everything Emily Blunt did was like amazing. We'll talk about her, but For me, my favorite parts of the film, aside from Emily Blunt, were the criticisms and references to what the world of journalism is today.
Speaker 1: I thought that was so.
Speaker 2: I thought they were so and so on the nose, if not at times like scarily two on the nose, on the larger theme of truly like the film is truly about a dying industry. And if any of you read the cover story in Vogue with the real Miranda Priestley and the woman that Miranda Priestley is based on moderated by weirdly.
Speaker 1: Greta Gerwig, I wonder if that's because meryll Is playing is allegedly playing Aslan in the Narnia movie. The Greta's tracting, Oh my gosh, she would eat that up.
Speaker 2: But I mean, I I just think that Greta Gerwig is just kind of in the Vogue world as a whole and has always called to do things. But there's a moment where Meryl Streep says something to the effect of like something something, this is about a dying industry, and Anna literally says like, oh, well, you know, like she kind of gets a little defensive on like she kind of tries to course correct that statement and nuance it and like basically she's always asserting that the that media is not dying, and Miranda like backs like she and Miranda Elamel. Meryl Streep like literally backs up like she's like, oh right right, that's not what I meant. I meant this like it's a real It was a really funny interaction. If anybody reads that interview, I actually it's is it like the the most like dishiest interview ever know. But if you are someone who you know, worships at the altar of Anna Wintur and you're interested in in who she is as a person and what she thinks about the industry, I thought that was fascinating. I also didn't know that they're that both Meryl Streep and Anna Winter is seventy five. That's kind of crazy. But uh, in thinking about this movie and what it has to say about quote unquote a dying industry, I thought it was so crazy that they have essentially like a stand in family for the New Houses, which is the company that owns Conde Nast and usurps it in and yes, when like side when like side New House died, like like his son took over and like Anna had to like develop a new relationship with a completely new new house. Like it was referencing all so many things like that, where I was kind of like, wow, that's like scary on the nose. I Also another thing that the film kind of touches on is this idea that as an editor, actually like a lot of your job isn't really editing. A lot of your job is like impressing advertisers and making sure that advertisers are happy. And I thought that that was really fascinating.
Speaker 1: And also publishing articles directly in the CMS on your phone.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's how I published all my articles. I also really loved that they're you know, to the point of one of my predictions when when Miranda Priestley was canceled, that there is this ongoing theme throughout the film that Miranda Priestley is out of touch, or that at the very least.
Speaker 1: She is struggling to.
Speaker 2: Like she's struggling to adapt to the media world post late nineties early offs when she was allowed to be mean to people.
Speaker 1: I was one of my favorite running bits was Simone Ashley as her assistant, constantly telling her you can't say that that is so funny. I thought us they could have even it was used just enough. I thought, I think it could have gotten a little too overkill.
Speaker 2: HM.
Speaker 1: So I really appreciated there were several times where I thought there was like a surprising amount of restraint in this movie. One of those being the cameos. Like there were some good ones, but they were used pretty sparingly. Like Donna Tulliversaci has a great cameo where she's having lunch with Emily. That was fabulous. Gaga has a cameo she and mar To have some crazy beef. So that was a really funny scene. And obviously, like there are other people kind of sprinkled in the background. Mark, Okay, we had slight technical difficulties, but we're back. Fran, What did you think of the cameos in the movie?
Speaker 2: I kind of lived for the Karras Swisher jumpscre was that was so cut cuckoo, so loudly in the theater and no one else was laughing because nobody knows who in downtown Brooklyn on a Tuesday, there were plenty of people who knew who Kara Swisher was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what are what are?
Speaker 2: Karras Swisher stands called swishies.
Speaker 1: Swish Swish witches.
Speaker 2: Swisher Yes, Swisher jets, Swisher know such a mad joke. Mark Jacobs was a really good cameo. Someone Jacobs cameo, you did, okay?
Speaker 1: Cool?
Speaker 2: I love that I did not predict any cameos. I only predicted that Andy would get fucked up the ash and she did correctly. And that and I also predicted that Miranda would get canceled, which was correct, even though it didn't happen to the midpoint as I suggested. And then as far well, we'll talk about the ending, but I did predict something about the ending that kind of came true. But wait, there was a I think I think Ashley Graham was in this had a cameo. Lauren Chan had a cameo. Heidi Klume had a cameo.
Speaker 1: I think there's a difference between a cameo and someone being in a shot of a film. That's true. They were essentially extras, you know what, who.
Speaker 2: Also felt like an extra? Caleb Hearing Can I say, why would you hire Caleb Hearn, who is such a fucking star and it's so fucking funny. Why would you bring him into this film and not give him and this is like me being protective of Caleb not give him literally one line of comeding material. He had maybe three or four lines in the film, not one single one of them was funny.
Speaker 1: He had a couple he had didn't d me funny little jokes. But I do agree. I think if I'm being generous to the filmmakers, I would say, like, if you're bringing in someone who like has their own sort of like persona and like comedy style, you have to find a way to fit them into this like picture like seamlessly and have them kind of scale back the thing that they do when it's just them. But I kind of agree. And one of my criticisms of the movie, which like I did really enjoy but I didn't love. I gave it a three and a half. I gave it three and a half stars on Letterbox. One of my big criticisms is that it even though I left a lot it could have been funnier I wanted. I just it wasn't funny for jokes, And like, even though I did chuckle and outright laugh a couple of times, there was no moment where I really was like cackling with laughter.
Speaker 2: No, that my my biggest laugh was the cares the chass.
Speaker 1: My biggest laugh was when Andy and Emily are meeting up at the end and and Andy says, so, how are things a coach? Because Emily from Dior to coach that that was so so good. Also Miranda's line where she's talking about body body positivity, which she calls it body negativity, right, but but it's positive.
Speaker 2: Why that could have been those bits I thought could have been funnier, but I I I totally agree it's the comedic material was not there as much in this film, aside from Emily Blunt, who to me was the m v P of and know all hits, all hits, no misses if you're not the mill. So we kind of said this in our in our plot summary. But Emily Blunt is dating Jeff Bezos esque billionaire who is priming to buy the conde esque est conde nast esque.
Speaker 1: Well buying the company. He's just buying Runway Right for Emily so she can become the editor in chief and push Miranda out because Miranda allegedly pushed her out of Runway Right exactly.
Speaker 2: And and so it is an interesting parallel to what was And this is not like they're they're essentially working off of rumors and and what I'm saying is not truth. This is like unverified hearsay. But last there was allegedly, allegedly allegediciously, there were a lot of there was a lot of talk about the town, that the Bezos were priming Conye Nast to buy it, and that Jeff Bezos was going to give Vogue to his wife Lauren Sanchez as a birthday presenter or as an anniversary presidenter, some wedding president whatever, and hilariously that did not happen. Instead, they bought the Met Gala essentially. I mean they bought the wing, the Kanye Ast wing of the Met Museum, and they were a pointed as the chairs.
Speaker 1: They basically bought that. That's why I loved fine that Miranda says to Emily when she's like telling her why she pushed her out of frontway, and she's like, you're not a visionary, You're a vendor. Yes, any much goes for those people as well. They are not creative people. They are vendors.
Speaker 2: And there's a lot there's a lot of like real there's real world parallels that are like stretched in such a way like Lauren Sanchez is actually a journalist, or she has a background in journalism and she's passionate about it. I don't think that there was ever talks that she would become the editor in chief, but there were certainly whispers that she would become like a high up editor or something like that. And famously, in the midst of all this happening, the day after Anna announced that she was stepping down as the editor and she's a Vogue, Lauren Sanchez was on the cover of Vogue, And so there was a very funny real real world comparison in the film where Emily Blunt is you know, she's like supposed to be this kind of like vapid. She's this vapid character and she's talking about how she thinks should be she should be on the first cover, which is crazy to think about. It's a very like ugly Betty Core. But yeah, the real world comparisons were really fascinated to me over and over again, Like some of them were references to the last movie, but also references to real life, like the fact that you know, Anna can't really see without her glasses, or the idea that she like has she always wants hard copies, which is so tea. She literally always wants everything printed out. There are lots of different things about, you know, the real world comparison to journalism that I the the film's real world comparison to journal some that I always enjoyed. But the Anna of it all I thought was also fascinating. And I think I don't know if we how much we can dig into this conversation considering considering my position as yes, a unique perspective is someone who recently left a job working for Anna Winter or as her direct report. But Anna's involvement in this film is like novel and honestly thrilling to watch and uh and a complete and complete stark contrast to how we viewed her when the first movie was coming out. So if for the Virgins, if you're not aware, when the first film came out, Anna showed up to the premiere wearing Prada, which is like such a fucking serve, and she continued to kind of like not necessarily be in the conversation of the film, but to be a good sport about it all something that was to be And so this time around, Devil was protato. Anna is literally stumping for she is literally another piece our rep for this film, which is super super fascinating, especially given the subject matter of the film and the film's like comparisons to the real world and like the allegations of the whatever whatever whatever. But it is like so wild actually too in this press in this press circuit for Double Wars predat too for it.
Speaker 1: To be revealed that.
Speaker 2: Anna called the real Emily into her office. The real Emily is sorry that the Emily from the film is based on a an editor. Wait, real Emily Double Wars Prada, I need to look it up. Her name is Leslie Freemar. She calls Leslie Freemart in her office and she goes, do you know like a woman, do you know a woman named like blah blah blah, and like talks about the woman who wrote Double Wars Praduct And Leslie's like, oh yeah, that was like your assistant. She was like, well, uh, she wrote a book about us, and you do not come off looking good like it, which is like, such, it's so delicious to hear that, especially since in this second.
Speaker 1: Film there is this.
Speaker 2: Scene, this final scene where Miranda Priestley literally confronts Andy and says Okay, I heard you were writing a book about me for three hundred fifty thousand dollars. And Anna and Hathaways is like is like, and Miranda's like, Honey, when somebody talks about you, they are dying. Someone is dying to tell you that information, like people are running to meet.
Speaker 1: With you and to tell you incredibly.
Speaker 2: Incredibly true.
Speaker 1: And so yeah.
Speaker 2: But for for Anna Wintour too, actually just you know, bust open the fourth wall, as it were, and to be a part of this film's promotion, it's kind of like mind breaking, like how do you feel about it all?
Speaker 1: Like I don't know. I guess I'm I'm a lot less interested in that part.
Speaker 2: Of it, Like, oh, I guess, yeah, okay, it is it adds.
Speaker 1: Something to the movie for me, but I'm really trying to I think meet this movie on like a very kind of in world basis, and you know, like I really hate like this is all. This is all promo, you know, and I find promo really annoying and cynical and like it's all so it's all about the bottom line. But I do think it's interesting, especially because during that scene where Miranda tells Andy, oh, I know about the book deal, which gets like a really big gasp from the audience both times I saw the movie, because you think it's going to be this thing that's going to cause this huge you know, falling out between them. It's threaded through the movie. And then of course Miranda knew about it, and she's says to Andy, she tells Andy, you know, you should write it. People should know what it takes to do this job. But then I think I really like that. She also says, who knows, maybe if you write it truthfully enough, it'll give me another couple of years at the top. Because ultimately, what these people know is if you're being talked about, no matter what the context is, you are relevant. And I do think we can extrapolate maybe how that fits into the real life inspirations of this film and why they are supportive of it. Because you're going to be part of the story no matter what, you might as well use it to your advantage. Yeah, girl, that is so ty. It's true.
Speaker 2: And yeah, the even though like there's so many different things about that, I have to say that I there's so many different things about the ending that I have grievances with, which is like, you know, I predicted that Miranda would be like the kind of one to save the day, and in some ways she was like they were executing on her plan ultimately, but she.
Speaker 1: And and teamed up to do it. They teamed in and you know, they do. They did it through means that they wouldn't have had without Andy coming to the company, you know, and and Miranda tells her like, you know, She's like, I'm going to shows all day. You have to figure this out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. Well, my god, there's so I was also sorry this is a a little bit of a tangent. But I'm also thinking about how like when in the very beginning of the film, when Andy walks into Miranda's office and then you know, Miranda calls like fire, like you turned to me, You turned.
Speaker 1: To me, and what did you say? This feeling a little familiar, a little triggering.
Speaker 2: Maybe you know what was triggering, and maybe this is where we can end.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I still have more. I still have more.
Speaker 2: Okay, great, great, okay, So well then maybe actually before I I was gonna talk about Andy's fucking boyfriend, but I also the movie. But do we want to is there more to say on the ending before we get.
Speaker 1: Into Yeah, well, I wanted to get your thoughts on whether you think the end of this movie is hopeful or nihilistic, because the day is saved, but it's very much saved for now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean the film with the film ends on a shot where Nigel, Miranda, and Andy are all in their own schmancy offices like working and enjoying working at Runway and it I think it. It is supposed to be obviously very hopeful ending. It also makes it feel like there's there should be a double Worst Product three. Sorry, like I kind of honestly would watch a double Worst Product three. But there I understand that.
Speaker 1: Our friends over at Every Outfit Podcast came up with a perfect title for it. They said that the third one should be called, uh, the Devil's Product. That's all.
Speaker 2: That's all so good and but in in in the real world, sorry, there is nothing more horrifying than the idea of working at a media company until.
Speaker 1: They love to work, that's what and they I love that there's that moment. It's an inverse. It's an inversion of the car scene from the first movie where Miranda says, you know, everyone wants this, everyone wants to be us, you did it, you did it to Emily. But in this one she says they're actually they're bonding, but for a positive thing. And Miranda says, I just love to work, don't you, And and he's like yes, and I just like don't. I don't. I don't. I can't at all. But I do think that the movie, the end of the movie is both is both hopeful and realistic. Like again, because yeah, they save the day, but they save it for now. There is very much the awareness that this can't go on forever. Yes, And but what I what I did like, was I noticed this. So you know, the first movie ends very famously with that scene of you know, Andy walking across the street and oh my god, Anne Hathaway is just so good at walking around New York City and looking at stuff. No one doesn't like her, No one doesn't like her.
Speaker 2: No one does by your hair blowing in the wind, turn turn, walk before across the.
Speaker 1: Series like kind of fake out of that ending. So you know, after after Andy and Emily have their little lunch, there's a scene where Andy is walking back to Runway and it seems like it's gonna kind of do the same thing, you know, she's like walking by herself, She's like a girl on the go. But then her.
Speaker 2: Face is the map of the world.
Speaker 1: Is the map of the world played while Miranda was fucking Andy in the ass, right right, But instead that like little moment happens and then we go to Runway and then the real ending of the movie is actually her with this community that she's built through her job, through loving to work, And so I do kind of like that that growth of Like at the end of the first movie, what she had to do was like invest in herself, in her future. She was this woman with a career ahead of her, she's walking her own path. She's walking alone. Now as a woman in her forties, it's more important for her to have a community around her, to be, you know, mentoring the next generation of creatives. We see her having these relationships with Caleb Heren, with her assistant. So, like, I do think there is hope in it, but I also think it is it's pretty. It still is a little bleak.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it's funny because.
Speaker 1: There is like this.
Speaker 2: Stark contrast to the ending of the first film and the ending of the second film. The end of the first film, Andy decides she's not going to sell out, essentially, and she wants to be a real journalist. She wants to have a work, she wants to make work that she is proud of, and she's not doing that at Runway, and so she ditches it on this kind of morality lesson that's like, oh, you don't have to be a part of this like vapid, mean world of fashion. You can actually just you can work a different way, you can have a differ, you can enter a different workforce. You don't have to like be mean to people to get to the top, et cetera.
Speaker 1: And then look how well that turned out for her. She ended up going back to the same magazine twenty years.
Speaker 2: Later and ain't and ain't that fucking true to life?
Speaker 1: Baby?
Speaker 2: Ain't that fucking true to life? I also had a decade of media work before I had to go back to.
Speaker 1: On it and as like, what the fuck? It was so weird.
Speaker 2: So to me, the ending of the second film is so weird because it's the opposite. It's like, no, actually, you can stay right work at this fuck and at this fucky little company where where your boss and other people in this environment are going to continue to be disrespectful to house down boots and treat you like she.
Speaker 1: Should't let your frob but husband played by Kenneth Branna wait for you at home while you work, until they literally have to drag your rotten corpse out of the building. Yes, I love to work, don't you. That was chill. That was that line. That was and it was so true tool of capitalism, like that was capitalism. It was to work its influence on us.
Speaker 2: But but also alarmingly realist, like I'm I shouldn't be talking about Anna as much, but Anna lives to work like she is that I think that, you know, like a lot of people who have any sort of like perception of who she is as a public figure.
Speaker 1: Yes, under she.
Speaker 2: Really like nothing. She has a personal life, but no, nothing like work is the reason to live.
Speaker 3: But I do.
Speaker 2: And and so for that to be the end and the reason for the end of this film to be like, no, actually, your reason to live is work.
Speaker 1: I was like, even when you're seventy five year old millionaire.
Speaker 2: If I were writing the fan fiction of this ending, it would be that the Jeff Bezos does buy the magazine and everybody gets a huge payout and then just for the rest of my life.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, I Andy.
Speaker 2: Will go and get big beautiful titties, ffs, the house sound boots and my hairline redone. And I still have enough basis money left over to live my life without working.
Speaker 1: That that's the the ending that they I have to We've I've waited long enough. We have to talk about the fashion in this fashion movie, because yes, was my other pain point in this film. Oh interesting, Okay, specifically with Andy ostensibly our main character. She did not wear one sickening look in the entire movie. She had a couple. She had a couple good looks. She had a couple good looks. She did not wear one truly jaw on the floor chanel boots ass sickening look through the whole film. There were moments when she came close, but they had her in that fucking Molly Rogers when I find you, she was wearing the ugly patchwork dress to the Hampton's I mean Miranda Hutt, theatress. Miranda had a couple of good looks. I really loved her Dreas van Notten taskle jacket, which got like a really nice moment in this extended sequence. But Andy was like in all of these fucking like separates and like button down shirts and vests and pirate pants and that ugly Chanelle dress she wore in the in a scene where she's trying to get them the company. I just like this film. There were there were moments of glamour and elegance. I really liked a lot of simoone Ashley's wardrobe. I liked, you know, Emily is supposed to be kind of a caricature of a fashion monster and like everything is like to which But I actually thought the I remember that being talked about, like Patricia Field talking about that from the first movie, that Emily is supposed to be like the cutting edge, like to like trendy to the point of it being annoying. It's tacky logo logo. I liked, you know, Andy's assistant in her like real real go tier dress, like whatever. That's cute. But no, there was nothing sickening. I did not gag over anything once.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I I so, I actually you're kind of changing my opinion on this because I walked them out of the movie feeling like, oh, actually, like everyone looked kind of good. But I think and I think that there there was like there was this There was a montage, one of many, wherein they are going to a bunch of different shows in a row, and each time they walk into a show in Milan that Miranda and Andy are wearing a different album.
Speaker 1: Are good looks really? But again, like, yes, I think we're really close to sight. There was one moment where Andy's wearing like a leopard print coat with some like green coming out of it, Like that was kind of fears she. I love that she has a couple, like her blue sequin dress is pretty, but again, like it's not sickening.
Speaker 2: I I thought, Miranda, I love the Dreas jacket Like that was definitely one of my favorite moments. I also really love the Valencia red dress that she had on in the first scene. I thought that, Okay, that looked really good. I think that Andy's kind of oh, what's the word dumpiness translated into the fashion world in actually a nice way. It's like, yes, like she is just wearing like pantsuits and veal.
Speaker 1: I just like but like it.
Speaker 2: Actually I thought she looked good. I think Anne Hathaway always looks.
Speaker 1: Maybe that was my bias, but.
Speaker 2: But you're right, a lot of those offices weren't giving capital f fashion, and this actually was the film for it to be like no, no, no, ditch everything you thought about Andy, Let's get her back into the Balencia. Let's get her back and she.
Speaker 1: Thought a little. Nigel gives her clothes and and they do take a lot of effort to I think, wrongly address the criticisms of the first film and like over explain a little like this is alone. You have to bring it back, you know, like they're they're trying to be a little more realistic than the sort of a fantastical thing we got in the first movie. But you know what, that's the one place in this film where I really want to suspend my disbelief and I want to see the best possible things you can pull. This is the apex of fashion fantasy. And I wasn't getting that.
Speaker 2: This is actually representative of something that happens in the film industry, the Hollywood in general. If you have a project and Patricia Field is on that project, she has to stay on the project for life or you're done. Yes, like that, As we learned to exist, as we learned with that, Just like that, as we learned in so many different iterations of things that did not no longer had Pat Field. For Pat Field to not be a part of this film, girl, everybody saw it, and I honestly, you've really woken up because I was actually pretty blind.
Speaker 1: That was I thought was like, oh, people look good, but no. The thing that the Jena.
Speaker 2: Skua that pat brings to a film as a costume designer is a complete and total is complete and just the way she.
Speaker 1: Has lies and yes it was a silence. Everything in this film feels like it's a complete head to toe runway look, like the way that celebrities often if you want to pull something from a house, you have to wear the whole look, head to toe, and it seems like that's what happened here, and like there was a little bit of that in the first movie because Chanelle was one of Chanelle like gave them so many clothes that Andy was in a lot of head to toe looks from that season's collection, but everything had a little Patricia Field spin on it, and like the closest we get to that, here are some of Miranda's looks, like some of her coats. There's also that amazing moment where you see that Miranda has to hang up her own coats. Now that that got a big chuckle out of me.
Speaker 2: So funny. Oh, I'm looking at them, Miranda leopard coat moment. I really do think the montage were in there wearing tons of outfits and different outlets and wrote that to me.
Speaker 1: Also, is when the fashion do you repeat the beat of You know, we don't have like a Vogue montage the way that we have in the first film, but there is a montage early in the movie where Andy is like trying to be good at her job and we do see her in a bunch of different outfits that you know, were to assume Nigel has given her and like, again, some of them are very cute, and like, if if they were in another movie or TV show, I would maybe be gagged by them, because, like, the level of fashion everywhere else would be so much further below that. But here, I'm just expecting more and I didn't get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sorry, it just wasn't. It wasn't the vibe. It's okay, you know what else was in the vibe? Andy's fucking boyfriend.
Speaker 1: Well, I I told you when the movie started that I knew from having seen it once before. When to pee and the second that I knew he was about to be on screen, I was on my way to the bathroom. Was I was vaping in the bathroom? Hell yeah.
Speaker 2: Every this man has four scenes in the movie, and there was no reason for him them could have been.
Speaker 1: That whole plotline could have been excised completely without impacting the rest of the movie in any meaningful way. And that is how you know as a writer that something needs to be cut.
Speaker 2: It was so so on the writing level, so embarrassing. Sorry for that, for Andy to have this complete, like non non issue, non impact, non like literally not involved in whatsoever.
Speaker 1: It was literally just like so she would have someone to bring to that party, so she would have drama in her life that was romantic and not just centered around her career. When we don't that's not what we're here for, No, did we not?
Speaker 2: Did we learn nothing from the first level Wars product where everyone came away from the film being like, the real villain is the boyfriend blah blah blah blah, which is stoke, which is fucking stupid.
Speaker 1: Also it's weird. But in a movie that opens with Miranda fucking Antie in the ass, well, Katie, as I see plays in the background. And what should have happened is that Miranda and Kenneth Brana should have invited Andy to be their third because she had kind of a vibe with both of them.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: I also because Andy and Emily are eventually gonna get married and buy a house and Cherry Grove.
Speaker 2: Yes, ten thousand percent. I mean when Andy walked in the in the second film, when Andy walked into the house and Kenneth Branna was like, go ahead, go upstairs, so grave like it was giving swings.
Speaker 1: And Miranda okay, And Andy walks up the stairs and Miranda's just standing there with her strap on, and so Andy just stops on the step that leads her at the perfect heights to suck Miranda's silicone cop.
Speaker 2: I. In the first movie, Andy's boyfriend is such a nuisance, but at the very least in that film, the way his like frustrations with her and her addiction to work were actually created a stakes, stakes that were interesting to me. And consequently he's also they were actually to be the kind of angel on her shoulder.
Speaker 1: And also he was hot.
Speaker 2: Yes, this Australian realtor who his whole job is literally tearing down historic buildings and building nasty, soulless like luxury like apartment complexes. I could not imagine a worst, least imaginative, like most anti Andy person for her to end up with. And I don't even think that she should have had a boyfriend in this film at all. It for her to have a boyfriend actually is antithetical to the ethos of the film, which is sorry about feminism. Sorry, I'll say it.
Speaker 1: I'll say it.
Speaker 2: The film is supposed to be like I don't need a man. I'm Miranda. The man is nothing like my man means nothing to me. We're gonna get a divorce. I'm gonna be married to my work. Same thing with Andy. It's like this boyfriend is not supportive of me and so like, you know, I'm just gonna go off and do my own thing. It's like it just it didn't.
Speaker 1: It was so it was such a doo doo kaka of a b plot. So having to heat and there's so many of a face an Australian accent is always bad. Yeah, nasty.
Speaker 2: I still can't believe that he was like a fucking luxury apartment hung.
Speaker 1: And he even like they try to make it seem like she's mean for dissing what he does. Girl are yeah, like, are you kidding me? Like go back to Grammar Sea you belong.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I like that that.
Speaker 2: I think the film is at times confused about Andy's principles. I think if we're thinking about the last film to this film, and the fact that the film, the second film, starts with her being this prestige journalist, guardian person who is so proud to be underpaid to be making this work, and then she decides to sell out for a job that will pay her twice as much and she's like, I can make meaningful work here, but in actuality, the work was just sold to a billionaire. You are.
Speaker 1: Wifed up with a real estate.
Speaker 2: Mogul who is real estate mogul slum lord probably, and you and Miranda are like work work work, work is life, Life is work.
Speaker 1: End of movie.
Speaker 2: Like, I don't think the film actually unders stood who Andy is. Sorry, And I'm like, I'm taking this so seriously. Obviously it hits close to home because like I have like been in so many different circumstances that have actually happened in The Devil was Prada and that have actually happened in The Devil was Proda too, and that has actually happened in Ugly Betty, which came out three months before the three months before The Devil Wars Proda too, and a lot of it does actually like the same events kind of transpire.
Speaker 1: Like I, it means a.
Speaker 2: Lot to me, and Andy is a figure that feels a lot like someone that I and someone that I uh. Andy's a character that I cherish, even though I like it's so basic to like The Devil Wars Prada, I'm not one of those fucking faggots, But like Andy as a character does mean a lot to me, and I think this second film really did her dirty and did not understand who she is at all. That's what I'm there, gonna two stars on Letterbox period and one stars for Emily Blunt and the other stars for when he gets fucked up the ass.
Speaker 1: See that's what my half star and my three star three and a half star ranking rights right right. Well, I mean we've been yapping about this now for an hour and a half. I think I'm sure you know this will fold into the fabric of our lives. Although even though I've now seen the movie twice, I don't know that it has the rewatchability where I'm gonna like, now, you know, watch it as soon as it's on Hrio Max or whatever. But for this kind of legacy cash grab, you know, like badly intentioned, bad for the world kind of sequel, this was a pretty good version of it, and I it was certainly better than Wicked two. Absolutely good news, good news, and that we can give it credit for it. We hope you've enjoyed this, and we hope that you will join us over on Patreon where we we are putting out weekly episodes. We are really breathing new life back into the podcast once again, so you will be seeing and hearing a lot more from us in the weeks to come. But definitely join us over on Patreon so you can get regular episodes. And here what we have to say about all of this, all this shit going on, And if you want us to write a version of the Devil Wars product two where Andy gets fucked in the ass by Miranda wearing a strap on or possibly just Miranda with a cock, you know, she could be she could be stealth Tranny her sh cock. Let us know. And that's all. That's all.