Speaker 1: Hey, they're Fana Ritos.
Speaker 2: Welcome to a brand new episode of How Rude Tanneritos. Today, we have a producer and writer from our show who many of you are bound to recognize, whether it be from the one hundred plus episodes he wrote and produced for Full House or his time on other shows like that, So Raven, even Stevens, Corey in the House, and so much more. We have Mark Warren with us, and we are so excited to talk to him about his extensive career both on and off our show and all of the stories he's accrued from these sets over the years. Everyone, please welcome Mark Warren. Yeah, hi, I see you've come prepared. You have your full House blanket right the ra there's Emmy.
Speaker 1: I see you've got a picture of an Emmy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you've got all of you your best moments.
Speaker 1: Oh that what what a talking piece?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Right, I love it.
Speaker 4: Well, just so you know, we we jump right into the interviews. So so welcome to the show.
Speaker 5: Mark.
Speaker 4: It is so good to see you. I got how long has it been been a long time?
Speaker 5: Wow, it's been a long time. I think I saw you at Jeff's house fifteen.
Speaker 3: Years was it?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Was it like the twenty fifth anniversary something.
Speaker 5: That we did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that was it. Twenty Yeah, so that was it, like twenteen years ago, twenty twelve, twenty.
Speaker 5: Fourteen before that, because there was a second one which I didn't go to, but it was it was the first. It just built his house.
Speaker 1: I think, oh, yeah, then that might be that was the twenty fifth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I feel like it was.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 1: So yeah a minute.
Speaker 2: Yeah, time doesn't exist in the Full House universe. You know, we don't ever age, We don't ever you know.
Speaker 5: You guys, way just really thank you AI.
Speaker 1: It does wonders. It's really yeah, this is not my real head.
Speaker 5: So it's the show. And you know, I listened to mostly the writer ones like Lenny Rips and Doug between the and Hattie commercials killing.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you, thank you so much. Mean it's great.
Speaker 4: And the fact that it's Hundai is great because I actually had a Hyundai before we even started doing the show.
Speaker 1: That I absolutely love.
Speaker 4: So I was like, yes, I will wife, Yes, I six.
Speaker 2: And oh oh that's what we that's that's what we drove to Vegas.
Speaker 4: Heard that one of the things that obviously you've been listening to the podcast. That you know we love to do is get to talk to writers and and people who have been in this business forever and ask them like how they started, because obviously when we were kids working on the show, like you know, we weren't sitting around.
Speaker 1: Like, so, how did you get started in a bid?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 4: But it's fascinating and we worked with so many like amazing people in this industry. So from the very beginning, what was your what what made you want to get into this business or what was your first job? How did how did this all come about for you?
Speaker 5: Well, it started Dennis Rinseler, who was you know, you know we were We met in college and we bonded over bad women's prison movies. So we just started laughing about that stuff. And then we both became teachers to get out of the draft that was like the Vietnam War, and if you taught in a disadvantage neighborhood, you got a draft department. So Dennis would teach in the Bronx and I was teaching in Brooklyn, and we would call each other up at the end of the day, what happened in your school? What happened? And it was these crazy stories of you know, like stoned out, draft dodger teachers. Not not necessarily, but we might have fit a little. And we were just, you know, laugh about those things. And then at one point we another friend of ours who would become a magazine editor, said, you know, you guys have such great stories, why didn't you wanted't you write some stuff from my magazine, which was it was actually a like a High Times type magazine called Rush. It was High Times competitor, and at the time I was a drug prevention coordinator, which was very ironic also at the time, but I would I was supposed to teach kids about the dangers of drugs, but what I did more was like I wrote plays and sketches and things for them. So that's how I kind of got into into the writing part of it. And then Dennis and I did a parody of the really bad drug prevention materials that they would send us, like the OS Day don't you Drugs? Like, you know, the kids are really going to listen to the Osmonds right right, And our friend published it and that got a little bit of attention, and then we said, oh, this writing thing is it's kind of fun. So we submitted a couple of things to National Lampoon, which they accepted. So now it's like, well, this is more than fun, this could really be something. So we got together when we wrote a screenplay about crazy teachers in these in these urban schools, right, and we wrote it with this third guy who was the magazine guy, and he came out to Hollywood. He rented a red Cadillac. He printed it was called chalk and he printed it on like a black it looked like a blackboard, and he told up the catalog and he gave it out to producers all over Hollywood and somebody optioned it for thirty thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 5: We were teachers, you know, and our friend called and said, I sold it, got made. He said, but I told it what do you want to do and said, we're you know, that's it. We're coming out. So it took about another year to get everything together. We had to quit our jobs and convince our wives, you know, take this huge risk, and we drove out, you know, like in our in our cars. We packed our cars up. My son was four years old at the time. We put on the Muppet tape for like, you know, yes Revolutions of it, and we came out here and we went up to our agent who had said, what do you guys need, I'll get your jobs. You can be on a sitcom. And he was literally quitting that day. He was walking out with a box of his stock, and we're like, you're.
Speaker 1: Like, glad we caught you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, really, you promised us jobs. This business is screwed, forget it. It stinks. So we're like, we moved out here. We're stuck. We have our families. Dan has had a son, I had a son, and we just had to start to hustle. And they gave us a new agent at this was CIA Okay, gave us a guy out of the mail room named Rob Rothman who read our stuff and believed in us and sent it out to He would get down on his knees and beg people to give us jobs. Right, We wound up on a show. Well, the first show he did was a reality show for Scott Baio, which didn't go anywhere. My favorite, our first writing job, who was a guest on Full House.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we reviewed, we went over that episode. It was a.
Speaker 2: Thing.
Speaker 5: And then we got a job on the show called Madam's Place, which was a early eighties.
Speaker 1: Wait, was it Madam the puppet Madam?
Speaker 4: Yes, okay, Madam scared of me as a kid, Madam.
Speaker 1: I remember watching it on whatever show.
Speaker 5: It was probably what was Matt Hollywood Squares or Solid.
Speaker 1: Goal, solid Gold. It was solid Gold and.
Speaker 4: Madam would come on and I don't know why, but Madam scared the crap at it. Well, now it's hilarious, but at the time it was something about it. I did Madam freak me out.
Speaker 5: Well, this was a crazy show because you only saw Madam. You didn't see Whalen. Madam lived in a mansion and had her own talk show, and she had a staff of servants in the house right wrapped with It was a daily sitcom. They shot it like a soap opera show a day. We had eighteen writers and we'd work in shifts to churn out these scripts. And the poor guy's arm, Whalen was he was on a dolly holding up his arm that.
Speaker 4: Had right his arm at the right He's got no circulation in his hand yet.
Speaker 5: Bob Sagett was on the show because part of the show is a talk show. Bob was on the show. Saw Me Dice was on the show. You know, had to phill fill out this time, and we did seventy five episode, so it's in like four months.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 5: There was a crash course in sitcom writing and writing and the writer's room.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: There were guys on it from radio, you know, like from the Jack Benny Show, and then there were young guys like us who really hadn't done anything or you know, people who had worked on you know, Laverne and Shirley things like that. So we learned so much from from that experience and that kind of part us on our way.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's so cool. That's I mean, that's I had no idea.
Speaker 5: But so so from there we we kind of wound up at Universal with Amy Heckerling and this guy Alan Rucker. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: We did a show called Fast Times, which is Fast Times at Richemont High TV version. It was a terrific show, single camera. Patrick Dempsey was in it, and you know a bunch of bunch of kid yeah yeah, really weren't known and we did it was on the wrong network, it was on CBS, So the show got canceled, but they signed this to a deal at Universal, so we had a an overall deal there. We had an office we had a secretary we could I mean, it was ridiculous. And we're working on a Joe Piscopol pilot and I don't know if you know who Joe, Yeah, yeah, from you know SNL days. And then there was a writer strike in eighty.
Speaker 1: Seven, right, that's the last writer strike.
Speaker 5: Last writer strike. And my son had just my youngest son had just been born, and suddenly we were out of a job. We were out of our deal. We were out of work for six or seven months. And we went to a party at Amy Heckling's house and we met this guy there named Jeff Franklin and uh Amy and her her husband at the time, Neil Israel said, you know, you should when the strike's are you should talk to these guys because they're really good writers. Our show are canceled. And you know, by coincidence, had Don Van Adam.
Speaker 4: Yes, we just reviewed an episode that took place at Dan out of Junior High.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 5: He was the one of the producers on Madam's Place. Now he was on Full House. We have that kind of endorsement to Jeff. So when the strike was over, they hired us as producers on the show. We spent seven years there, and then five more years that Warner Brothers doing shows there, and then like it's like eighteen years at Disney Channel. Oh wow, so it's yeah, it's been fun.
Speaker 4: So all it started as making fun of things and now and now you've been in the business forever.
Speaker 5: It was really an excuse to get stoned with Dennis.
Speaker 4: I'd most kind of good writing careers start, I feel like is Yeah, it was just.
Speaker 1: An excuse to smoke Pott and then here I am running a shot. It is right now.
Speaker 4: The first episode that you produced was season two, right, Season two, episode two, Tanner Versus Gibbler.
Speaker 5: Well, we were on season two, right. We came on after after the writers strike and that and full House. You know, you guys who were kind of shaking the first season. Yeah, because there wasn't much TV, there wasn't much inventory, they started running it a lot and then it got this wave of popularity. So season two we came on and you already had a little bit of a of a toe hold.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then we needed to work out some kinks from the Sea Crews episode where it was like the Bachelor pad on water, Like, yeah, we needed the full house needed to find its footing, and I think by season two they finally realized it's a family show, not a bat I.
Speaker 5: Think part of what Yeah, Dennis and I brought was we were parents.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think.
Speaker 5: The first season, I don't know if anyone was a parent on that on the writing staff that I.
Speaker 1: Could probably yeah.
Speaker 5: Maybe Kim Weiskough maybe, I think had a little daughter. Exc had a daughter about the age of them, Yeah, but you know, other than that, but I had two kids, Dennis, Dennis had a son, and we started pitching more of the of the parenting stories. I think that helped maybe make the shift a little bit into.
Speaker 1: It for sure, well, because it became about this. You know.
Speaker 4: One thing that Full House always, we say, always did really well was that the storylines weren't just about the kids or just about the parents. It was about how something affected everyone in the house. Usually it was it was the whole family was involved in whatever was needing to be solved, right, And that was I was always really proud of that for the show, because so many kids just kind of got you know, they were like, we'll just include them later when we need something. But it was very much a part of Full house and storylines, you.
Speaker 5: Know, complately, and it was finding that balance between the adult stories and the kids stories and kid adult stories. And then we would almost make flow charts up. Well let's see, you know, we have a Stephanie Danny story. We need a Joey Michelle's story.
Speaker 1: Different combinations.
Speaker 5: Yeah, to make sure everybody was kind of covered in the storylines, and we also had to give everybody and the show is very difficult to write. People don't realize how hard it was to write, because we really tried to weave at least a runner through an arc for every character and intersect them, you know, and dovetail them throughout the episode. And it was it was challenging.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, especially when we got to like nineteen hundred guest members.
Speaker 1: There was a lot of storylines and people, you know, they.
Speaker 5: We love writing Kimmy. We love writing Kimmy.
Speaker 4: Kimmy was so great. I mean, that was such a great character to write for.
Speaker 1: We oh man, she's great. I got a joy. I was going to say that.
Speaker 4: We recently recapped season three, episode nineteen, which was Those Better Not Be the Days, which is where we do the flash forward.
Speaker 1: Oh right, yeah, where the three guys or old men. Yeah, a Laurie was the old lady. What was what was that like writing that show? Do you remember? I mean, were they just ridiculous the whole time?
Speaker 5: Specifically other than you know, at some point in the season you try to be like their flashbacks. We did a couple of flashback episodes and then somebody in the writers who play sad, why don't do a flash forward and have some fun. Put the guys in old age makeup and you know, hire and see what the girls would look like. I believe Dave met one of his wives on that.
Speaker 1: Yeah Jane, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Jane, Jane, who did look exactly like?
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, it was an episode I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it looked like the actors were having a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they just we're having a blast.
Speaker 5: Especially the guys, because you know, when you were kids, you guys never complained. I mean, you were total pros. But the guys, you know, every once in a while, your bitch and Bob Bob used to say, what's my line? I walk into every room and I say, what's going on? So, yeah, we did it. So we you know, we we try to make sure everybody had at least a little something to play in every episode, and this was really fun for them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this one they had.
Speaker 4: All we could think about was that they must have how do they get through a scene being the little old men, because we know they could They couldn't make it through a scene just doing a normal scene, let alone drest and make being ridiculous.
Speaker 5: And I think they played it all as like old Jewish.
Speaker 1: They were all right, they were all yeah. It was like they all became life.
Speaker 4: They all became a little old Jewish men in the day. I was like, oh, they became different people. But it was great, right, well, I think, but you know what, though, as you age that actually does happen, you start going why why?
Speaker 1: Yeah, they stand up, that's true.
Speaker 5: Happens.
Speaker 4: Well that I mean that dream sequence was considerably better than the one we did a few episodes before.
Speaker 1: Was it, Oh bye bye Bertie.
Speaker 2: Oh Michelle dreams that the adults are like.
Speaker 1: Understand that dream It was.
Speaker 4: Like she was giant and then the and then the adults were all little.
Speaker 1: It was terrified always.
Speaker 5: Did later on, which I what was funny. But people didn't like when Michelle dreamt that she had giant feet.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's terrib I don't remember that that was, Yes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she somebody mentioned somebody teases her in school and says that she has big feet, and then she goes to sleep and she has these gigantic feet in the keep growing. I think eventually they explode and like.
Speaker 1: Very Alice in Wonderland growing out of the House sort of like.
Speaker 5: I love those kind of shows, but I don't know if the fans of that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what their hit or miss.
Speaker 4: Sometimes sometimes you want you're like, oh, this was funny, and sometimes you're like, well, this.
Speaker 1: Is the eighties and nineties when we were doing some things where.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so what were some of your favorite episodes that you wrote or not, Like, just what are some episodes that stand out in your mind writing?
Speaker 5: What I think what people don't realize on most shows is at least on Full House and most of these shows we've done, is that they're almost a little group written. Yeah, so when you ask a writer like what was your favorite episode, that you're right, there's a good chance you didn't write a single word of that episode, and it was It's very collaborative and a very fun process. But in terms of I liked I like the Dinis, remember the Dinosaur episode when when Michelle was on a school trip and all the bones kind of.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, that was.
Speaker 5: Fun, I think production wise to figure it was always fun when when Dennis and I became the showrunners, like figuring out that production stuff was really fun and really challenging and what what are production? Yeah, oh my god, they did an amazing.
Speaker 4: We didn't do to full House was light on that kind of stuff compared to Fuller Fuller it was every week was some new yeah, stunt production, costume, but yeah, it was we did. We did a few things as the season It's got later too, I think we got a little more into really going yeah.
Speaker 5: Well they wanted, you know, the budget got bigger, and especially Tom and Bob or I go for it, go on a trip, you know, go So so that was fun for me. That my favorite episodes I think where the celebrity was and they weren't necessarily the greatest episodes, but I got a chance to meet so many of my heroes or people that I had admired, and in some cases it was like the little Richard one was crazy. Yeah, that was so much fun, Like the energy he brought to the standard. If you remember he was ending out religious pamphlets and singing and screaming.
Speaker 1: Yeah he was really, yeah he was.
Speaker 4: He was everything the little Richard should be.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he talked to he's telling a story, you know, and he's he's like a preacher, right, telling the stories that Jimi Hendrix used to be in his band. And he was saying, oh that boy he had a horse like you've never seen. This is a kid show. What are you doing? Like crazy stuff like that. But he's at the same time he's handing out religious pamphlets.
Speaker 3: You know it is, buddy, that's hysterically end.
Speaker 4: You gotta cover all your bases, you know what I mean, you gotta you gotta be like just in case this joke that I told does it go over so well, you should also check this out.
Speaker 5: Right, we could say that on this podcast, right, we can curse a little bit.
Speaker 1: I mean not sure. Yeah there, yeah, it's true, it's true.
Speaker 4: I mean, look, I have made some definitely inappropriate jokes on the podcast, so I don't know if they make them.
Speaker 5: The air, but uh so your stand up now, right, So.
Speaker 4: I mean I try. It's you know, it's uh the writing. See, the writing thing is the thing that takes these it's really what it is is the sitting down and doing you.
Speaker 5: Know, yeah anything, it's it's hard work. But so the other like we met I met Mickey Rooney.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, he was.
Speaker 5: This guy was the biggest movie star in the world in the forties early fifties, in the world. He had relations with the most beautiful women. He was five foot three, you know, and then he came on said he was this bundle of energy and you I don't know if you worked with him, because he was They were locked in us. It was John and the and the girls and the twins. Did you get a chance to Was he in the house at some point?
Speaker 1: He was?
Speaker 4: I think there's one scene he comes into the living room or something at the end, because I seem to remember there being a thing with where we're all in the scene together.
Speaker 5: But he was off the wall. He was crazy. I mean, he was pitching me business ideas like what's the one soda you never heard of? I don't know Vicky vick or soda okayas for that? And he wants to wants best and you know, Mickey, Rudy mccaroni and like, but it was it was a trip. It was great and that's hysterical. He got direction. I think it was Joel directed the episode, and he was off the wall and he was.
Speaker 4: You know, just like Joel's the only person that could handle directing that man.
Speaker 5: When that camera came on, you know, he said, Micky, you gotta cry. It's like which I he was. If you look at that episode, he tears your heart out. You know, he was great, so you can see why he was, you know, such a big star.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we had some.
Speaker 4: We had some really, I mean we've talked about it too, like as kids, we were like, who are these people?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 4: Like now, as you know, as alls, we go back and watch, like, oh my god, these were cute. You know you said huge stars like really amazing, uh you know people in this business musicians and.
Speaker 1: Actors, and it was you had Korean, That's right, we had Yeah.
Speaker 5: I remember he came on. I think he wanted his kid on. That was the deal right now, said the guys have to play basketball, and that's when we found out that John couldn't play basketball.
Speaker 4: John is Yeah, yeah, I think there was another episode he was like, we're going to play sports and I was like the irony of like Danny and Joey being the ones that can't play sports when Dave is like such an athlete and yeah, John is like I don't know what do I do with this? Right?
Speaker 5: But Kareem he you know, like he was my one of my idols, and he was an interesting guy. He was kind of quiet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember that.
Speaker 5: Then I we met and Wayne Newton.
Speaker 1: Knew the Vegas. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I never smelled a stronger cologne in my life, like overwhelming, like but a sweet guy, you know, you know, how would I have a chance. You know, I'm a kid from Brooklyn, Like, how do I get a chance to meet you know, Wayne Newton? Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: So you know the show great for that, so and the Beach Boys of course you know that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah that was classic.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So did you pitch these ideas in the room, like say, hey, let's have an episode of Wayne Newton or Mickey Rooney, remember ideas or Mickey Rooney Macaroni in the room and trying.
Speaker 3: To get.
Speaker 4: I'm still so mad and I think I'm gonna make it even though he's not around anymore.
Speaker 1: It's a great idea.
Speaker 5: Probably a lot of them probably came out of they wanted a stunt cast. Certain episodes, usually for sweeps, so it would be like who can we get and you will probably start with, uh, you know, Tom Hanks, and then we work our way down to Mickey Rooney. You know, who is available? Who would do it? I remember there was one episode where where DJ had that rich boyfriend, remember right right, yeah, very good, very good. You've been studying it, I should and uh so he wants to bring a big star, so I think he was like Boys the Man or something. But they in like the early nineties were trying to get somebody really big for him to bring and sing a love song to DJ. We couldn't get anybody, so we went up with Frankie Valley. Right, My generation was great, but you guys were like who were like, you know, she was a great actress, so she was like Frankie Valley, Oh my god, Nelson, it's so wonderful. She had no idea who it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she really had to turn on the actress stills for that episode.
Speaker 4: I feel like that was a lot of it, though, Like there were definitely a lot of like again now actors or entertainers or musicians or whatever that now as adults we get like how influential they were, but yeah, as kids are like, who are these old people?
Speaker 1: Right? And that's how kids.
Speaker 4: Look at us now, kids look at you like I have a.
Speaker 5: My god. Daughter's daughter is twelve years old. She just turned twelve. Shout out to Maya, by the way, and oh is an obsessed fan obsessed. She knows every episode, she knows every detail about it. Her and her friends. They're twelve years old, So generation should.
Speaker 1: Host this podcast. They want to take over.
Speaker 5: Why don't she? She actually interviewed me for a school thing that Oh, you know, that's so crazy. So I love that, you know, it's it's still out there. And even though like it was great when it was on you know, syndication, it was on twenty times a day, but they can still find it's on Hulu now, right, I.
Speaker 1: Think, oh yeah, it's yeah, yeah, all of it.
Speaker 5: So it's it's it's an evergreen. You know, it's amazing.
Speaker 2: What kind of questions do twelve year olds want to know from Mark Warren?
Speaker 5: Like? Things?
Speaker 1: Were she most interested.
Speaker 5: In what your favorite episode was? And you know how we wrote the episodes? Things things like that, Yeah, what for her? You know, so we had to had to tell the truth.
Speaker 1: You know, right right, nightmares.
Speaker 5: Just I mean you you were children. It's it's remarkable, you know, but over that eight years you grew and the whole Yeah, so you grow up. It's it's pretty amazing. I don't think any show really did that.
Speaker 4: Yeah no, I mean, no show really ever did that what we did with the Michelle where we started with the baby and let them actually grow up on air?
Speaker 1: Right all right, fan Ritos. That wraps up Part one of our interview with Mark Warren.
Speaker 4: And we had so much fun talking to Mark and his extensive career on Full House and a ton of other shows. And there's still so much more to unpack, So we will be continuing our conversation with Mark in Part two of this interview on Friday. So stay tuned and make sure that you are liking and subscribing to the podcast wherever you're listening to it so you can get those part two episodes as soon as they come out. You can follow us on Instagram at Howard podcast or send us an email at how podcast at gmail dot com and we will see you next time on how Rude Andrewridos. And remember, everybody, the world is small, The house is full of Mickey.
Speaker 2: Rudy ah, yes, I love it.
Speaker 1: Small man, but a very low