Speaker 1: Kabooms.
Speaker 2: If you thought four hours a day, twelve hundred minutes a week was enough, think again. He's the last remnants of the old republic, a sol fashion of fairness. He treats crackheads in the ghetto gutter the same as the rich pill poppers.
Speaker 3: In the penthouse.
Speaker 2: Wow to clearinghouse of hot takes, break free for something special. The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller starts right now.
Speaker 1: In the air andvery way. The Fifth Hour with me, Ben Maller and Danny G Radio and a happy, happy football Sunday here early in the morning, on this fourteenth day of September, as we have NFL football all day and little mailbag action here with myself and the great did any G Radio kickoff the day? Now we say the kickoff off the day and then I'll get email from people. You know, Ben, I listened to the Fifth Hour podcast on Wednesday. I don't listen on Sunday morning. I'm watching football on Sundays. Okay, that's fine, but we record the podcast orally. So that's why we say that is well, you shouldn't say that. Why should we not say that? I don't I don't know. Should we make this more Evergreen Danny, Are we too specific about when.
Speaker 4: We're doing this now? I like the way it goes, and listeners that I've spoken to like the way that we do it. So I think it's so in your face. Why change something that's been working for years exactly.
Speaker 1: I can't believe how long this podcast has been on, By the way, I thought this thing would last like a year and then that's it.
Speaker 4: It's a nice timeline too, for the three days, because even me, when I listen back to make sure everything is technically sound, I like the fact that I know where I'm at through the three day weekend.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, so there you go. So your hater, screw you, That's what I'm saying. And today's National eat a Hogy Day, so make sure to.
Speaker 4: Eat a hogy. Yeah. That's funny too, because that's something that our grandparents said a lot. Right, you guys, you want to go to the park and get some hogies and bring them there with us and do a picnic. We well, we would always look the younger people in the family. We would always look at each other and like hogies.
Speaker 1: Now there is a I fell down this again. I fall down these rabbit holes because I like Where does the term HOGI come from?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: We know the term right? I mean, there's no unless I fell down the wrong rabbit, Like, there's no real.
Speaker 4: Point of origin.
Speaker 1: Like the sandwiches were made for lunches during World War One that era, and they were like Italian immigrants worked at One of the theories is they worked at the hall. It's a place called the hog Island Shipyard. And the original name Hogies was actually Hoggies and it was it became Hogies. That's one theory. There's another theory that there was a restaurant call I forget the name, it was in England and then the sandwiches were donated by a deli owner from Philadelphia. I mean, there's a there's no consensus on where the term hogy came. I don't know why I'm even saying this, but it's national. Itatahogy Day Hogies as they're known today. They believe they came from the Philadelphia area about one hundred years ago. About one hundred years ago, and the name has has been changed over the years. I guess it was originally spelled a little differently. But enough of that. The mailbag, Ohio, al, can you get me in the mood ohio al form the mailbag please.
Speaker 3: It's.
Speaker 1: All right, thank you for that. Now, first up is Scott from Florida. Hello Scott, he says, Hey, Ben and Danny, it sounds like you print these emails out and read them off the old school paper. I only mentioned this because I did forget to sign my email last week, which you read, thank you. But I always assumed you just read them off the computer screen, so no need to sign, he says, since my name is right there, Well.
Speaker 4: Ben rips them off the ap wire.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah. What I use is I have a typewriter. I retype them. Danny, I don't have a printer, a typewriter, and I just typed them up. And this is it takes a long time, and I know, so we generally encourage you to put your name and city and even if like you're a regular Scott, and I appreciate you because you've been loyal and you send a lot of email over the time that you've been listening to the podcast, and so it's pretty cool. Just I'm usually putting the together at the last minute. I'm normally somewhat tired, so needless to say, it just helps the process. I don't actually normally print them out. I don't. But what I do is I clip them, copy them and paste them into one big file that has all the mail, so I can just kind of go through it quickly. That way, I don't have to open eight million emails and I just kind of go through. So I'll copy what you wrote and then put it in a in a big file and that's it. Anyway, Scott says, I'm forty six, and though I worked in the Dark Ages, I thought I worked in the Dark Ages. He says, But that's some pretty classic stuff, he said. No, I don't use paper anyway. Do you do you print them out?
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't print them out, No, he says.
Speaker 3: Ps.
Speaker 1: My son, Carter says, Hi, and ask me why the other radio guys always talk about the Yankees And Carter is six years old. Any advice on how to have the talk about East Coast bias with him at a young age? Yeah, sure, Scott. We'll just tell young Carter that so many people in the media are from New York and they grew up talking about only New York sports teams.
Speaker 4: There's your friend Bruno.
Speaker 1: That's right, because they because they grew up. They grew up watching New York teams. And there's also it's not so much East coastpies. It's it's, as I like to say, broadcasting, not narrow casting, where we generally end up talking about the Yankees, the Cowboys, the Lakers because they have huge followings, and we are doing broadcasting, we're not doing narrow casting. And I get ripped a lot Danny and you Scott as well, because I'll do a monologue, I'll mention the Jacksonville Jaguars in a monologue. We're all all rant about the Texas Rangers or the Royals, and I like, what are you doing those teams? You should not be like some people get so offendive. We talk about teams that are not at the very top of the mountain when it comes to popularity in sports. And I've never I'm interested by all the teams for the most part, but I part of the job is you do have to appeal to a broad audience. So that's one of the reasons. And then also most of the media companies are headquartered in New York, and like we said, the guys grow up fans in New York teams and every radio station. I've been in radio, the radio business. I can't believe how long it's been. It's been a long been a long time, and everywhere I've worked, from my first gig in San Diego to filling jobs in all over the country. I've done filling gigs in Boston and Denver, Seattle, other Portland, Oregon, everywhere. I've even done filling jobs. There's always a Jets fan. There's always a Mets fan. There's always a Knicks fan. Yeah, everyone in those places.
Speaker 4: When you talk Jags on your overnight, this is what I do. Oh my.
Speaker 3: Wah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was Holler and James back in the day.
Speaker 1: He's not as prime anyway. He's okay now as a snorer. I'd also appreciate it if he stopped calling up saying, hey, I've been I'm in my birthday suit. I'd also appreciate that. Next up on the mail bag, ferg Dog in Fullerton writes in these are actual letters by actual listeners. If you'd like to send a letter in for a future mail bag, you can do that right now. You can do that later. But if you forget, if you don't do it now, you'll probably forget. You'll probably forget. But if you would like to send a message in make sure put name and city Scott in Florida, name and city. Put that in there and then send it to Ben Mahler. All right, No, that's the wrong email oters. I was going to give out the wrong email out.
Speaker 4: You said it with your chest out too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a real fifth hour, all letters, no numbers, real fifth hour at gmail dot com. That's a real fifth hour at gmail dot com. Freg Dog and Fullerton Right, since its hello, Ben and Danny g I'm sure you both were thrilled that football was back, and I'm most excited to be back as well live read season. He's very excited about that. Yeah, it's a big time if you're a fan of the live reads. A lot of live reies now. Fregduck says, I'm worried about your voice though, Ben, with all the live reads and no Eddie, you barely have any time to rest your vocal cords all show. However, I have a solution. What do you think about breaking out the dance floor and playing bumper music.
Speaker 4: In the middle of every hour.
Speaker 1: If you don't like that idea, just play a few minutes of hollering. James snoring, or let Marcel and Brooklyn try his hand at the update kill that you gotta do something to protect your voice.
Speaker 2: Ben.
Speaker 1: That's from Freg Duggy.
Speaker 4: This is wild. We just played Holler and James snoring.
Speaker 3: I know, we just did.
Speaker 1: Like the timing. This it's it's like some kind of it's it's all everything's programmed, Danny. It's all a simulation. It's all part of the simulation. Uh So, thank you for that. For I'm glad you're worried about my my voice. It's actually done better lately. I'm not sure why. It was really tough. I had a kind of a sinus thing that was causing the issues for a while. And get out of phlegm, and I felt like I was playing defense for the Philadelphia Eagles. We'll be playing the Kansas City Chiefs later today in one of the big matchups in the NFL. And uh so, yeah, And and no Raider game for you today, Danny's are you gonna watch the NFL?
Speaker 3: Are you gonna know?
Speaker 1: Raiders? So they don't play till tomorrow night, right playing on Monday.
Speaker 4: Of course, I'm gonna watch the NFL. I paid for the Sunday ticket and damn it. I'm gonna get every penny's worth out of my money.
Speaker 1: All right, I got you.
Speaker 4: No, I love. I love watching all teams, not just mine. Okay, all right, you know.
Speaker 1: Watch that Chiefs Eagles game. You'll be a fly Eagles.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's go Eagle.
Speaker 1: Vigtrry all right. Next up, Alf from the Big Eie. It's New England's Great State Fair. Greetings gentlemen. Then, now that Benny versus the Penny is back on YouTube, does this mean that you are up for a great New England food tour courtesy of the Alfmobile. Absolutely, Alf, I can live through you and I there's a lot of wonderful food in the New England States, and I've only scratched the surface. As you know, Alf, I've been to Boston many times, but I usually end up eating Italian food on the North End because that's what I like. And there's a few other restaurants sprinkled around there that I'll enjoy it. But if you know places, yes, Alf, we can send us photos and let us know how much. Make sure you put the prices in there, let us know how much everything is.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, did you hear al michaels On Thursday night talk about the Parsons Texas Roadhouse thing.
Speaker 1: No I missed that.
Speaker 4: Take a listener real quick.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 5: We're talking to Parshes the other day. You know, it's one thing to get acclimated to the play on the field, he said, what about off the field?
Speaker 3: He said, Well, they gave me a big truck.
Speaker 5: I got an Airbnb, and I'm eating a Texas Roadhouse.
Speaker 3: He told us he weighs two forty eight.
Speaker 5: Once he get to two forty, I said, he going to get into Texas Roadhouse.
Speaker 3: Better find a vegan place. He called.
Speaker 1: Because he is he talking about like in Appleton or in Green Bay?
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, yeah, there's a Texas Roadhouse there. I guess that's where he's been going for every meal since he arrived.
Speaker 1: You got to go to Appleton because that's where the action is. You know, there's like three restaurants in Appleton. There's only one in Green Bay, but there's three restaurants over in Appleton, So there's a there's actually a pretty good brewery in Appleton and the Appleton I have a hat here.
Speaker 4: When I went with my brother, I got a hack. I can't I can't wait to cross that off my bucket list. I've been wanting to go to Lamb for a while.
Speaker 1: Hey, you want to stay at my brother's house. Yeah, I'll use his Lufa exactly. Steve from the Bay rites and he says, Ben and Danny, is this new Apple headphone thing exciting or is this more alien technology? Apparently Apple's got new headphones out, Danny that can translate, according to Steve here foreign languages in real time. That sounds amazing.
Speaker 4: WHOA, that's crazy.
Speaker 1: That sounds Steve says, they did this in Star Trek back and they really like it's a Star Trek communicator or something like that. Well, Steve, first of all, this is the first I'm hearing about it. Bad job by me. Secondly, yes, at some point the wife wants to drag me to a bunch of countries where they don't speak English, which I'm okay with. But I'm a little scared because I only speak English. So if I had those headphones, I can go down to my and have a conversation with somebody, I go to Beijing, knock yourself out wherever. That would open up the whole world if.
Speaker 4: It actually works. Those language teaching companies hate this. Oh, you're right, oh yeah, yeah, yeah, Rosetta Stone, They're like, screw you Apple. Yeah, it says Apple just announced Live translation for AirPods Pro three, powered by Apple Intelligence. It translates live conversations directly in your air starting with English, French, German, Portuguese, and Spanish.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it doesn't have Russian, Chinese would be really that's a tough Yeah.
Speaker 4: I guess they're going to add other languages.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh that's great though. I mean that right you uh, you've done any international traveling, Danny, I have ever. No, I've never done that either. So I'm concerned, like what if I go somewhere nobody, I can't talk to anybody, Like what do I do?
Speaker 4: By the time you and I get to travel like that, it'll be in a flying car and we'll have these air pods in Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, speaking of that, Orlando that's his name, not his city. He did not say where he's from. Bad job by him, Orlando writes in He says he enjoys the podcast. This is the first time he's ever written to a podcast. Well, thank you. You always remember your first time. You will remember this for many many years to come. Anyway, he says, the new crash proof plane is in development? Are we never going to have plane crashes again? And then he sent me a link here to this is I guess an A. I don't think this is legit. By the way, Orlando, it's AI. The plane is supposed to use the AI here. Danny's got huge air bags. When the engine is failing, the air bags are activated.
Speaker 4: That doesn't sound real, all right?
Speaker 1: And plus if the engine fails, how would the air bags be activated because the engine is not working?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: Have you seen the photo on this? Holy crap, this is hilarious.
Speaker 4: No, I'm googling it right now. I want to know. I want to see who did this AI.
Speaker 1: This is hilarious. So it's got It looks like the Staypuff Marshmallow plane and it triggers fast deploying airbags at the nose, belly, and tail of the plane. What if it lands not? What if it knows dives head first?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: You know, let me I can. I can send this over you and I see you listening or live coverage. It is the fifth hour podcast live on tape, and there's the the plane. I don't think that's gonna if that thing lands crashes from thirty thousand feet or whatever in the sky.
Speaker 4: I don't think that's gonna it's gonna matter much. I'm reading something here from the New York Post. It says engineers unveil a Bonker's prototype for crash proof plane following Air India disaster. Says that Project Rebirth is the first AI powered crash survival system. Reads the description of the Pillowy protective measure on the site. It deploys smart air bags, impact absorbing fluids, and reverse thrust mid air, turning fatal crashes into survivable landings. Oh yeah, I'm looking at the picture right now. Looks like a cartoonist did it right.
Speaker 1: It does not look good.
Speaker 4: It's like a ball sack on top and bottom of the plane.
Speaker 1: According to the story Orlando sent me, it's got keV lar. That's keV lar. That the thing that looks like the airbag. I guess it is. It's air and foam. They claim inner layer has some other craft. I don't know what that is, but supposed.
Speaker 4: To be a So this is AI engineered. They want to try to you a prototype like this. Okay, yeah, so it is not Actually it's not a thing. I got you.
Speaker 1: Thank you for that.
Speaker 3: Orlando.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that. Who's next on the mailbag?
Speaker 3: Rick?
Speaker 1: Right Sin also did not say his name. What was going on with you idiots? Is it that hard to say where you're from? Is it that difficult to say where you're from? Rick says, Hey, not to go full coast to coast on you guys. But NASA this week claimed that they have clear signs of life on Mars. Does this interest you, guys? Of course it does, Rick. What human being would not be interested in that? And they they claim NASA's they were going to deliver some monumental news about Mars. They had an announcement this week. What do you think they found? They said? I guess the sciences are excited, says, this is a new story. Sciences are excited because the rock on Mars might contain bio signatures, which are chemical clues that could hint of ancient microble life on Mars. Okay, so they're trying to find martial I mean, okay, that's fine. Do you think NASA's is gonna randomly announced Danny on like, I don't know, Wednesday or Thursday. Hey, by the way, we found some goblins.
Speaker 4: How many years would it take to travel to Mars. If you're going that far, you're gonna find another life form.
Speaker 1: I would hope I would hope he finds them. Anyway, let's see what is next. Reggie from Detroit. Hello Reggie, he says, Hey, Bndon Danny. I saw some of you guys were upset that you did not talk about Charlie Kirk being murdered on the show. How did you handle handle that? Says Reggie. Obviously we don't live in a bubble, right, Dan, we were aware. I don't know how Covino and Rich in the other shows handle it. But my theory, and I don't always follow this, but my general theory is that we do specialization. We sell cheeseburgers. We don't sell pizza. We sell cheeseburgers what we do here, and if you want pizza, you can find pizza. If you want cheeseburgers, you come to us. It's kind of like the in and Out philosophy. Reggie and I've talked about this as well. But for those that are new to the show, like In and Out had the mantra, let's just do one thing and we're going to do it really well, that's it, and there when they opened up over in the San Gabriel Valley in La Here in Baldwin Park, they had three items in and out, had three items on their menu. They had burgers, fries, and shakes. And that was back probably like the nineteen forties or something like that. And here, all these years later, they still only have three items that they have on their menu, like three main items, burgers, fries, and shakes. So that's you know, that's it. And plus I don't know that I don't know that I need to add anything to the compost. Add I think it's you know, horrible anytime somebody and murdered.
Speaker 4: That's what I was gonna say, was that you had the not luxury, but the time slot you're on. Everybody's kind of already reacted to it in the media. When C and R were on that afternoon, it was breaking news that he was pronounced dead. So the guys had to react to it. And they didn't spend the whole show talking about it, but their opening segment they discussed it a little bit and they said sports provides unity and healing, and so we'll try to have some fun and you know, move forward with today. And I think that's kind of the best way to handle it when you're in the moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure. I was not a consumer of I guess he was a big political commentator. I didn't i'd heard the name. I guess he had been on some of the Joe Rogan or something. I don't know, but I whatever. It's a sad situation.
Speaker 4: And you've seen in the following days how it's become divisive with people going back and forth at each other.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, everything is divisive. You know. There were what I saw when I was looking at the story because like everyone else, I mean, the thing that I would like to complain about, the main complaint is I I don't know about you, daddy, but I had no less than three people, unsolicited, unsolicited, send me the video of the murder. I didn't know what I was clicking. The first time I thought, I thought it was Ai. I said, what is that? And then it's all around the same time when the thing, I guess popped up on social media. And I don't know about you, but I don't When I was a kid, remember those you were you around my age, Remember those videos like faces of Death or something like that course showed, Yeah, those those were those were like contraband. When I was in junior high school and high school, people would pass those around. Oh you see that guy, you know getting kicked over by the train or whatever.
Speaker 3: But I didn't really.
Speaker 1: I was never into that stuff. Like I don't want to see that. I'm good, you know, I've seen as many people die as I want to see die. That's it. I don't need to see that, and certainly not that way. And they like, who does it? At least say hey, don't click on this if you know you don't want to see you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like, I don't.
Speaker 1: It annoyed me, that bothered me. So anyway, Stand from Harrisburg, PA writes in he says, I know you guys have talked about this on the podcast in the past. It just happened again. I want to see if Danny can use this for animal Thunderdome. There is when is that animal thing happening? Danny's any update on that? Probably not right.
Speaker 4: The latest update is that the contract for this thing has been on Clay's desk for four weeks. I don't know what is going on from there. This is just going to be in a holding pattern forever. So we've joked in the past that it's just endlessly going to continue with no resolve, and it sure looks like it's headed that way. CoA. Bryant g is going to be the host of this thing with Clay's fifteen year old coming up in about ten years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's gonna happen. Well, anyway, sent this story. I guess it's more for you than me. A guy in his estate there in Pennsylvania has spoken out after their emotional support alligator has been banned from Walmart.
Speaker 4: Yeah I saw this, Oh you did?
Speaker 1: Okay, so you're already aware of that. Okay, Uh, how does one have an emotional support?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: How do people allow that to happen? You know what I mean? I guess it's a little alligant, right, It's like a baby alligator, but it's still an allegant.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a cute little walllygator.
Speaker 1: What are you doing? And don't those things? But don't those things grow?
Speaker 3: What do you do?
Speaker 1: You can only have it till it gets to a certain size and then you got to get rid of it. Is that how that works?
Speaker 4: I think there's some that stay little Oh really okay.
Speaker 1: Wasn't the guy like he's in he's an older he's older than us. The guy that has that, that's like, what are you doing? Man? How do you get one of those? By the way, what is there? Is there a website alligators dot com?
Speaker 4: Do you remember the Wally Gator cartoon when we were kids and we saw reruns of.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, I remember that vaguely and back in the day for sure. Anyway, I don't you saw the story, Danny, so you know, I don't.
Speaker 3: What do you want me?
Speaker 1: I'm amazed that somebody would want to have an emotional support alligator. And how does the alligator actually support you? Because it doesn't eat you, So it's supporting you. Is that what that is? It doesn't eat you? So that's a good thing, yes, man?
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: Next up, Paul from La La land rights In says he lives mid Wilster. I used to live near there. I used to live in Park Librea massive apartment complex, which is not far from what's kind of in that corridor, the Wilson Corridor over there. If you're familiar with La anyway, Paul writes in says, Hey, Ben, I know you guys, I know you're a gamb but I don't know about Danny g Have you ever gotten so far on the whole you thought about doing what this this guy did? And then he sent me a link from Twitter and the link says that a passenger was arrested for jumping overboard off a cruise ship. Now, why did he jump overboard off a cruise ship? According to the story that Paul sent me, this is that Actually I didn't see. This is actually pretty funny. So apparently this guy Dan, according to this story, lost sixteen thousand dollars gambling on the boat and he thought, rather than pay the sixteen thousand dollars, he would just jump over the outside and swim away on the Royal Caribbean boat.
Speaker 3: And that was it. That is.
Speaker 1: That's like big balls from Vegas is what that is? That is Wow, jeez, this happened? What has happened? September seventh, US Customs and Border Protection officials were conducting the screening and the man in question was hauled out of the water by an accomplice and there he was quickly able to track him down in Puerto Rico and Puerto Rico. Ho, don't you usually die when you fall off a cruise ship? Like that's Those things are massive. Those are like skyscrapers and the sea. I I remember when I was visiting my brother a couple of years back in the York. We were over in Brooklyn and they had like I guess, it goes from New York down to Florida. And as I, if you fall, that you're done. That's it. Forget about not being able to be found out in the in the ocean. Anyway, We'll get out on that.
Speaker 4: You're gonna end on a death story.
Speaker 1: Huh well, you know, listen, we got to appeal to all people, Danny, and some people love death. There's the ghouls out there, they love that stuff.
Speaker 4: Enjoy the NFL games today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, looking forward to it. And that Chiefs Eagles games. That's a humdinger of a game. Looking forward to that. And not a great Sunday night game tonight. I'm not gonna you know, Vikings and Falcons doesn't do a lot for me. But the Chiefs and the Chiefs and the Eagles, that definitely does something for me.
Speaker 4: And go Raiders on Monday night. Hello, Hello, hello.
Speaker 1: The Raiders, the Raiders.
Speaker 3: Can you hear me? Hello?
Speaker 4: Yeah, now I can. Yeah, you came back I'm back.
Speaker 1: The gremlins are attacking Danny. We're being attacked by the gremlins. The gremlins are attacking us, Danny, g radio.
Speaker 4: You better jump in your car and drive over to Sherman Oaks. I'll get you on the telephone while you're.
Speaker 3: I'll do that.
Speaker 1: I'll be I'll be there, Yeah, I'll be there here in three days. With the traffic, I'll be there in three days.
Speaker 4: We'll have Eddie Garcia fill in right now, little taste.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, we'll have Eddie, and then we'll have.
Speaker 3: We'll have Coop.
Speaker 1: We'll have Coop do the updates. Yeah, later, skater, But I I want to mount it.
Speaker 4: Asta fasta is it?
Speaker 1: Is it spaghetti? When we feed Aicini? I don't care.
Speaker 3: I'm leaving.
Speaker 4: Goodbye, gotta murder, I gotta go.