Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: Sh from New York City, the only city in America. It's the show that intended news. This is the daily show with your host. Yes, they lighted, Yes, my.
Speaker 3: Last day behind the guests.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know, I know, but please, please don't be sad. Comedy Central said they're sending me to a farm upstate with all the other guest hosts.
Speaker 3: So it's gonna be fun. We got a great show for you tonight. So let's get into the headlines. Let's begin with.
Speaker 4: An update on former Fox News grand Wizard Tucker Carlson. Last night, Tucker re emerged for the first time since he was fired, recording a personal video from his business Sana.
Speaker 5: Good evening, It's Tucker Carlson.
Speaker 6: One of the first things you realize when you step outside the noise for a few days is how many genuinely nice people there are in this country, kind and decent people. The other thing you notice when you take a little time off is how unbelievably stupid most of the debates you see on television are. They're completely relevant, they mean nothing. In five years, we won't even remember that we have them. Where can you still find Americans? Saying true things. There aren't many places left, but there are some and that's enough. As long as you can hear the words, there is hope, See you soon.
Speaker 3: Wow. Good for Tucker.
Speaker 4: Even though he's isolated in a remote cabin somewhere, he's still getting his message out, just like the unibomber. And you know what you know, let's give Tucker credit for not saying the C word once during this video.
Speaker 3: Ramo, Tucker, I know, I know.
Speaker 4: That was really hard for you, Although it is funny how he said, when you step outside the noise, people are actually pretty nice.
Speaker 3: Buddy, you are the noise.
Speaker 4: Your entire show was you being mean to people, trans people, immigrants, women, Lady emin M's.
Speaker 3: Are complaining about people being mean.
Speaker 4: Is like Guy Fieri complaining about how there are no salad shows. Meanwhile, CNN's female expiration date checker, Don Lemon was also fired this week, and he's handling things much differently.
Speaker 7: Don Lemon spoke for the first time at a Star studed event.
Speaker 8: I'm appearing on the red carpet at the annual Time one hundred gala in New York City.
Speaker 5: What is next for you, Don?
Speaker 1: I don't know. Sitting on the beach with this gentleman all summer and having a great summer, and I'm gonna have the summer of a twelve year old.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Don Lemon's gonna have the summer of a twelve year old. So I guess getting horny while reading the Harry Potter books.
Speaker 3: I like how Tucker's like.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna do whatever it takes to fight for the truth, and Don Lemon's like, I'm gonna go boogie board. Don listen, you don't need to go back to being a twelve year old to live your best life. Don't let anyone tell you your pastor prime. Let's move on to Washington, d C. Where Congress yesterday held hearings on COVID school closings, with testimony from Teachers Union president Randy Winegarden.
Speaker 3: And I think we can agree.
Speaker 4: That this is an entirely reasonable subject for rational debate. That is, of course, unless QAnon Karen is involved.
Speaker 9: Ms.
Speaker 3: Winegarden, are you a mother?
Speaker 5: I am a mother by marriage.
Speaker 8: By marriage, I see, and my wife is.
Speaker 3: Here with me, so I'm really glad that she's here.
Speaker 8: What I'd like to talk about is your recommendations to the CDC as not a medical doctor, not a biological mother, and really not a teacher. People like you need to admit that you're just a political activist, not a teacher, not a mother, and not a medical doctor.
Speaker 4: Jesus, what the hell was that about. Listen, Marjorie, you don't get to decide who's a mother or not. That job exclusively belongs to gay men on TikTok. Also, it's a little weird to hear MTG dissing stepmothers, because this woman has the most stepmom energy I have ever seen.
Speaker 3: Remember that white.
Speaker 4: Coat, Okay, that is not the coat you wear when you're a mom. That's the coat you wear when you're finding someone's dad. And finally, you may have noticed that air travel has been kind of a shit show lately, between unruly passengers, delays, long security lines thanks to the TSA's policy of finding every dildo, well.
Speaker 3: Not every dildo.
Speaker 4: And all of that was bad enough before a new problem showed up, actual angry birds.
Speaker 10: Four dramatic bird strikes over Texas, all within twenty four hours, forcing planes packed with passengers to turn around. Listen as pilots on a United flight from Houston to Santiago, Chile describe it right.
Speaker 5: After take off.
Speaker 11: We are declarity for the.
Speaker 10: Two other flights, an American Airlines flight from McCallan to Dallas and a Southwest flight from Houston to Corpus Christy, all.
Speaker 5: Colliding with birds.
Speaker 10: These strikes come after that terrifying incident over the weekend.
Speaker 5: May Day, May Day, maybe we had a birth. It is Tillia. And we are only going to.
Speaker 10: Hear about more of these as we go into the summer, because more than half of all bird strikes happen between July and October, not July through October.
Speaker 3: What about Don Lemon's twelve year old summer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, birds flying into play that's terrifying, But I kind of get it. I just watched the Avatar sequel on a flight, and I also wanted to throw myself into a Jetta engeta. The question is how can we make the skies safer? To get every perspective, we turn to our news team.
Speaker 3: Starting with our Ya golst Clane. Don't say what can be done about the bird strikes?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 12: Nothing, Look, this is a vival of the fittest baby girl. Okay, if a bird can't see or hear a seven forty seven it's time for that bird to meet bird Jesus.
Speaker 7: Stick to me.
Speaker 12: I mean that bird is not the best or the brightest. If it wasn't going to be a plane, it was going to be a glass door.
Speaker 3: Sorry, bird Jesus.
Speaker 7: The point is.
Speaker 12: We've had planes for over seventy years. If the birds don't know about it yet, that's on them. I'm not letting this stop me from going to Barbados. There's a nice man there called win Stone looking for me.
Speaker 3: Okay, good for.
Speaker 4: You, They'll say, okay, yeah, that's a hard line position. So you're saying you don't care about any of the birds.
Speaker 12: Does the Elizabeth lydac that's of course I care about the birds. Chickens are birds, and I with chickens because they know their place, and that place is in a sandwich.
Speaker 3: Fair point. Fair point.
Speaker 4: Now we turn to the forest with our very own Jordan Klepper. So should humans show no regard for birds in the sky?
Speaker 5: Of course not, daisi.
Speaker 13: This is such a typical human response to colonize the air. First, we appropriate bird culture by flying into their home uninvited. We mock their bird at the cuisine by eating their little nuts in.
Speaker 5: A bag, and then tell them they're not welcome.
Speaker 13: No, I will not be co opting Avian spaces.
Speaker 5: The right brothers h more like the wrong brothers.
Speaker 13: If you want to get to Houston, just do what I do.
Speaker 5: Hop on an ee bike Boom. Thirty days later you're there.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 4: Okay, so you're clearly team Bird.
Speaker 3: Interesting. Well let's turn to Roywood Junior.
Speaker 4: Roy, Roy, what side are you on?
Speaker 1: DESI I'm on n their side. The solution is to come together and share the skies. That's why we need to convince the birds to fly in the planes with us. It's a win win, It's a win win. Look at me right now, Look at me right now, Daisy. I'm on a flight to Miami sharing a seat with this little guy. His name's Daryl, and we've become great friends on this flight. And is there that right now?
Speaker 3: Roy? That's so cute.
Speaker 4: That's very inspiring. I love that, dul Saint Roy says that we can share the skies.
Speaker 12: Listen, you know what birds are like. If you give them an inch, they'll share on it. Now, I don't trust animals at poop hit. I mean, is this how you make white out?
Speaker 2: Anybody know what.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 12: I didn't think so.
Speaker 3: Know about that. But Jordan, what do you think?
Speaker 5: No, that's not how they make white out.
Speaker 13: Frankly, the only upside to humans in the sky is that we might die.
Speaker 5: That's when we're reminded we are alive. Does he.
Speaker 13: I'm gonna tell you a story a while ago, before I was versed in the oppressive structures of aerodynamics, I was on a flight that was hit by a bird strike, and I thought I was going to perish. And while the plane was going down, I called a girl I had a crush on in high school and told her I loved her.
Speaker 3: Oh, well, it's a really sweet story.
Speaker 13: Well my wife didn't think so, neither d Tanya or her husband. By the time I landed, two marriages were in shambles. That's twy Man doesn't belong in the sky, DESSI will only end in tears in three months in a Buffalo airport laking to inn.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's sad. I have to say. I like the idea of sharing our planes with the birds. Roy, I think I agree with you.
Speaker 5: No object.
Speaker 11: The plane hit the figs, some of the bits was spread to the conflict.
Speaker 1: Love we all my great and south.
Speaker 5: To win again.
Speaker 11: You betrayed me. Then share about creating the I'm going to get n tell you and love you and thank you, the gee and me and the light man.
Speaker 10: What what.
Speaker 5: I'm telling.
Speaker 2: Guys?
Speaker 5: What are you quickly right?
Speaker 3: Why don't they enjoy? And everybody? When we come back, we'll find out what not.
Speaker 14: To put your vajina? So don't go away.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to today.
Speaker 4: So let's talk about wellness. It's a one point five trillion dollar industry and I'm obsessed.
Speaker 3: I've tried it all.
Speaker 4: I drink mushroom coffee, I've done ice baths, I've tried meditation apps. I gave my meditation app an ice bath. I don't know if it worked because my phone won't turn on. But like a ski trip with Gwyneth Paltrow, wellness has a dark side, and that is what I want to talk about in tonight's installment of Long Story Short.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: You might think that the term wellness started in the nineties, back when white women invented yoga, but it's actually been around for at least a century, and until very recently, there's been zero government regulation to make sure that wellness products are legit. A company could claim that their Pandaceman protein powder will give you that glow, but.
Speaker 3: They don't have to show receips, so it's no surprise that they sell a lot of snake oil.
Speaker 15: The US Preventive Services Task Force reviewed eighty four studies involving hundreds of thousands of people over thirty years. The task Force concluded there was little or no benefit in using vitamin and mineral supplements to prevent cancer, cardiovascular disease, and death.
Speaker 3: There is a new study that failed.
Speaker 9: Some of those melitonin gummies that are so popular actually contain way more of the hormone than they advertise.
Speaker 15: Wellness influencers promoting products like colloidal silver drops they say can combent where there is infection.
Speaker 16: Non prescription products that contain colloidal silver are not recognized as safe by the FDA.
Speaker 9: There's a lot of buzz around tea tooxes, but dietitians and doctors will tell you detoxing.
Speaker 3: Is a myth.
Speaker 9: There is one ingredient, though, that takes some tetoxes to another level. It's called senile, and the thing is Sena can also cause stomach problems, cramps, and diarrhea.
Speaker 5: After using sena for a while, you might not.
Speaker 9: Be able to poop without it.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 4: If you take some of these products, you might be as full of shit as the influencers who sell them. Look, I get why people want to believe this stuff works, but if just drinking tea was the key to looking snatched, the British royal family would look a lot different. But look, the truth is, you don't have to spend a single dollar to try a bullshit wellness trend.
Speaker 3: Just go on social media and.
Speaker 4: You'll find plenty of ways to jeopardize your health for free.
Speaker 8: Advocates of the saltwater flush claim chugging water mixed with two tablespoons of salt is a healthy way to clean out your colon, but experts are issuing stern warnings.
Speaker 3: Dangerous as it literally napon free your bowels.
Speaker 7: It's the latest viral health trend, with nearly forty million views on TikTok the claim that putting a tape on your mouth at night can help you get better sleep. It's a trend that has some medical experts sounding the alarm.
Speaker 3: You're risking thing like cardiac arrest. It can induce seizures. There's a lot of risks to it.
Speaker 5: Doctors are warning against a viral wellness trend called paraneum sunning.
Speaker 1: They say it's not worth the risk of sun damage or even skin cancer.
Speaker 4: Just a general rule, never try a trend that seems like it was invented by the guy next door with binoculars.
Speaker 3: Please please do not try that at home.
Speaker 4: If you want to see a sunburnt asshole, just watch the next presidential campaign.
Speaker 3: That's the last we'll see a him nailed his ass.
Speaker 4: But maybe the darkest side of wellness is that too often it's not even about wellness. It's about targeting women's insecurities, whether it's eliminating your wrinkles, flattening your abs, or the industry's favorite targets are extremely disappointing vaginas. Apparently it needs a full renno down there talk in detox, pearls to stay clean, vaginal eggs to tighten its core, and of course, gummies to improve its taste.
Speaker 3: Because it's not.
Speaker 4: Enough that your vagina can regulate its own pH and be a pleasure center and deliver a baby. It also needs to taste so good it gets a Michelin star.
Speaker 3: We don't need any of this.
Speaker 4: The vagina is a self cleaning organ It's not like you need a tiny rumba in there getting all those hard to reach corners. In fact, if your vagina has corners, please go see a doctor. But the fact is the reason the wellness industry is making so much money off women.
Speaker 3: In the first place is because of doctors.
Speaker 4: The American healthcare industry is constantly failing women, whether it's doctors dismissing their symptoms or telling them that their pain isn't as bad as they're claiming, or prescribing them less medicine than men for the same issues. And keep in mind, this is all even worse for women of color, and it's happening as the courts and states are rapidly eroding women's access to reproductive health care. And all of this is stressing me out so much. I could really use a pantace em and smoothie like meditation app when I need it. So it's no wonder that women turn to wellness despite all its faults, Because what's more ridiculous a healthcare system that denies women treatment and tells them that they're pains all in their head or this so long story short until American healthcare takes women's concerns serious. We're going to continue to be targets for alternative solutions.
Speaker 3: So the next time a.
Speaker 4: Wellness brand tries to sell you a product, here's some advice. Pretend like you're a doctor listening to a female patient. Don't take their word for it.
Speaker 3: Stay tuned because when we come back.
Speaker 5: So Fia Bush.
Speaker 3: Will be joining me on the show. Duncle Welcome.
Speaker 8: As with a daily show.
Speaker 4: My guest tonight is an actor an activist who will be starring in London's popular West End production two twenty two A Ghost Story, beginning May fourteenth. Please welcome Sophia Bush.
Speaker 5: Hi.
Speaker 3: Who this been so nice? Feels good?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 3: Power at it?
Speaker 16: Yes, ladies running the daily show sad very into this.
Speaker 14: Yeah, now guess this week that's what we got.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's great to see. Welcome to the show. Thank you so much. Thanks for having me. Hi, everybody.
Speaker 4: You You've been busy on many things, but one of them is your very popular podcast Drama Queens, Yes, which is basically a rewatch podcast of One Tree Hill.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 16: We realized that the nine years of that show that we made were sort of a blur, and people at these lovely events always ask us you remember when, and we were like, we don't.
Speaker 3: I'm so sorry, I don't remember.
Speaker 16: And our sort of COVID project was launching this podcast, and it's actually been really special to relive it, and every so often we're all just sitting on zoom sobbing and we're like, we get it.
Speaker 3: It's really good.
Speaker 4: This is super emotional, very therapeutic, I would imagine, because when you started that show, you were really young.
Speaker 3: You were like twenty years old.
Speaker 16: I had just turned twenty one. Hillary Burton and I actually our birthdays are one week apart. We had both just shredded our fake id's I'm so sorry mom, and we were.
Speaker 3: Like, we can get into bars now.
Speaker 5: We are so grown up.
Speaker 16: Turns out, at twenty one, you are still absolutely a child, and it's really weird to look back and see.
Speaker 4: Well, there are so many documentaries that have come out recently about women entering the entertainment industry at that time in the early two thousands, Paris, Hilton, Britney, Spears Anderson and hearing their side of the story, what was that like going into the industry that young?
Speaker 16: You know that famous adage, it was the best of times and the worst of times. It was that, you know, it's it's so special to go and do what you love and to get to do art for a living. And we worked for a total pig and that was awful, and so it was very confusing. I mean, I'm like, women are laughing, I'm like, you know what I'm talking about where you're like, I love my job, but I was really hated here.
Speaker 4: Ooh, I don't know any pigs at this job.
Speaker 15: I love this job.
Speaker 3: We love this job.
Speaker 5: It's a lot.
Speaker 3: This is different. This is different. This truly is different. It is, and you know when it is.
Speaker 16: I worked on this amazing show in Toronto last year.
Speaker 3: That was different.
Speaker 16: And you know, when I look at sort of what's on my resume, almost everything has been amazing. It just sucks in the things that you've done the longest have been sort of.
Speaker 3: Toxic and awful.
Speaker 4: How amazing that you talk about it with your castmates because having those conversations and I want to believe that things are different now. Women still struggle with these things. But by you talking about it, it makes other women not feel alone.
Speaker 16: That's been the really special part of it. And when people ask women like why are you so obsessed with this. It's like, why were you never paying attention? Why when we were all crying for help, did you go like, it's not that bad, You're lucky. That's weird, But you know, I think for us, it's been really the unexpected side effect of this podcast job is that it's been really healing and it's been really empowering. And what's been really beautiful is the sort of connections that we've been making with listeners, with other women in our industry, with women who were directing on our show back then who listen to an episode reach out and say that was totally going on. I heard that or I was told this. It's been really affirming and so so I don't really care who's mad about it. We're here to heal and we are very much reclaiming our territory.
Speaker 3: Good Kael's nice.
Speaker 4: So much of what you do is you do so much activism. You are extremely vocal about issues that you care about, gun reform, voting rights, women's reproductive health. You were just honored yesterday by the National Institution of Reproductive Health for your work.
Speaker 3: How do I feel for gradually Wild.
Speaker 16: It was so vile and they gave me this like big, gorgeous, heavy award, and I was like, wonderful. I can leave here and feel very special and also have a weapon just in case, because that is being a woman in the world.
Speaker 15: You know.
Speaker 16: I was like, I don't have to carry my keys today. I got this jokes aside though it was, it was very special. And I think.
Speaker 3: Having a platform is a privilege.
Speaker 16: And I don't expect anybody to do what I do or believe what I believe necessarily, but I do think for me, knowing that this is a megaphone means that what I've been privileged enough to have access to, you know, study education, the words of women like Gloria Steinhem and Brittany Pacnett Cunningham and my friends who run the media are like I get to listen to incredible leaders and to amplify those voices and to talk about equity, whether it's in reproductive justice or justice for women of color, or black maternal mortality rates, or gun reform, because gun violence touches all of us.
Speaker 5: That's that's my work.
Speaker 16: And you know, in the same way that we as women need men to talk about sexual violence because like, it can't just be us. We're like please help us then talk to each other, my god, Like, it's the same way that I feel about as women when we look at the diversity within you know, our gender group, and then we look outward at how we need to stand up for our trans friends and folks like you know, all of the beautiful black women I see in this audience, Like racial justice among in feminism can't be your job, Like, that's our job women.
Speaker 3: Who look I gus of the problem.
Speaker 16: So for me, what has been, you know, a privilege and an awakening and hard and inspiring, has been getting really fired up about an injustice and then starting to pull the thread and going, oh my god, it's all connected. It's systemic everywhere. We have work to do, but I do think we can do it together. Organizations like the ANIRH are doing incredible work. They're proactive for us and our and our freedoms and our rights. And it's those sorts of groups, and obviously this group, because y'all are fabulous.
Speaker 4: But you're about to start a play in London called twenty two a Ghost Story.
Speaker 3: Till I get that right, twenty two a ghost Story?
Speaker 4: Are you excited to go work in a country where they have access to healthcare.
Speaker 3: Wow, that might be nice.
Speaker 5: I realized it was.
Speaker 16: It was a really big deal when I had to apply for my work visa and they were like, have you ever tried to sneak into the United Kingdom to access healthcare? And I was like, oh, yeah, we have to do that. I guess that's weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no that.
Speaker 16: But while I'm doing this job, can I go to the doctor?
Speaker 3: That's so cool and tell us what the play is about.
Speaker 4: It's a supernatural story, right, and involves ghosts.
Speaker 16: It is, so I don't want to give it away. But the thing we all loved about Friends was watching a group of people in an apartment hang out, right, so imagine it's four instead of six friends, and when they're party gets like.
Speaker 3: A little bit lit.
Speaker 16: People start up a conversation essentially of who does and doesn't believe in ghosts, and suddenly we're talking about belief and faith and upbringing and education and what's bigger than us? And it's very spicy fun and I love a.
Speaker 4: Good ghost story to do research for this role. Did you just go visit the Senate?
Speaker 8: I know I should have.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Okay, I'm sorry, Yeah.
Speaker 6: I should have.
Speaker 3: Who's the first time we were doing theater.
Speaker 16: It is a West End. Will be my stage debut, unless you count our.
Speaker 3: Town in the eighth grade. Same tame, SAME's same, same. You're gonna You're gonna be brilliant. You're gonna be brilliant. I can't wait to see you in this.
Speaker 16: I'm really excited and completely terrified. And then I have these moments where I'm like, Okay, we're doing eight shows a week in.
Speaker 3: Front of people. What if someone has a bad day?
Speaker 5: Like what?
Speaker 3: I don't know?
Speaker 16: And then it was actually one of my girlfriends from the podcast, Hillary said, Dude, when you do a TV show, you're on set for like fourteen to seventeen hours a day. This will literally be the least amount of hours you've ever worked in a week. And I went, oh, yeah, okay, I get it. Oh right, maybe I can read more books or something downtime.
Speaker 4: Yeah, great, okay, please with an audience, this is well, they're lovely. You once said that you weren't interested in a in working in politics back in twenty thirteen. You said this, but you said, ask me in ten years, So what's up?
Speaker 3: What do you think?
Speaker 16: Well, so interesting, so many people for the last number of years UH have said to me like please run, and then Nancy Pelosi is what a weird thing I'm about to say to you. Nancy Pelosi said to me one day like it'll all be better when you're president, and I went, I.
Speaker 3: Bet you say that to all the girls. But thank you so much. Hey, that is an endorsement. It was so it was so deeply flattering.
Speaker 16: And then I went like, well, I guess if we're electing people from TV, anyone who knows anything about public policy or public health or education or like women would be cool.
Speaker 3: I'll get stringing sentence together.
Speaker 16: Yeah, you know, articulate humans who like other people instead of wish ill upon their lives, it would be nice. I think, as i've as I've learned so much over the last ten years, I don't know what it's going to look like. I don't know where I'm supposed to go yet, because I want to do what is the most useful. And I think a lot of people, whether they want to run for office or run a company, do it because they want to center themselves in the experience. If I could be most useful serving an elected office, great. If I can be most useful raising money for incredible C four candidates across the country and making sure we flip state houses so we're not you know, thrown back to the dark ages into it like literally just tell me how to help, and I'm down.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: I so appreciate, we so appreciate all the work that you do, and I really appreciate you coming on too.
Speaker 3: You are a delight Thank you.
Speaker 4: I where did?
Speaker 14: That's our show tonight and that's my time as your guest host. Stake you for next week when your gett hos will be dull.
Speaker 5: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcast. Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central and dreamful episodes anytime on Fairmouth Bluff.
Speaker 1: This has been a Comedy Central podcast