Speaker 1: On the night of April twenty third, nineteen eighty four, outside of a convenience store in New Orleans, two young men approached a couple and attempted to rob them at gunpoint. In the struggle that ensued, one of the perpetrator's, seventeen year old Eric Batiste, was shot and killed by his partner. The shooter ran off, and the couple gave a description of the shooter to the police. Eric and his friends were well known to local cops. When the call came over the radio, officer Marlon Defillo immediately thought of George Toka. The two often ran together, so Defillo figured George may have been Eric's partner in the posh robbery and pegged him as the one who had killed Eric. When George was brought in for questioning, he told police that although he and Eric had been out with friends that night, he'd left to spend time with his girlfriend at a motel during the time of the robbery. At trial, the prosecutor pointed out that the victims had id George in a photo array, and the motel owner testified that he'd never ran a room to a teenager like that. George. Officer de Phillo's hunch must have been right, But then a can This is wrongful conviction. Welcome back to wrongful Conviction. Today we're going to attempt to make sense out of a situation that doesn't make any sense. It didn't make sense back in nineteen eighty four when it happened. It doesn't make sense now twenty twenty three, almost forty years later. None of this should have ever happened, but it did, and the consequences are very real. Today we're going to be telling you the story of George Toka, my friend who is here with us after serving over three decades in and Goala Penitentiary in Louisiana. So, George, I'm glad we're finally doing this. It's such an important story and I'm so glad to have you here.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thank you for the faith, for everything you'll commitment to the calls of convictions and stuff.
Speaker 1: And with George today to help us tell this story is Richard Davis. Richard is the legal director of the Innocence Project of New Orleans, also known as IPNO, one of the most respected innocence organizations not just in the country but in the world. And I'm really happy Richard to have you here.
Speaker 3: Today, thank you and thank you for having us all.
Speaker 1: So, George, what was your life like growing up? You were just seventeen when this happened, So you're just a kid.
Speaker 2: Yes, I came up and a single parent home. My mom but that she had seven kids and we lived in a new all the projects. Never met my father, so it was it was tough and not having a father there just watch my mom's struggle.
Speaker 4: We didn't have much to eat. Close the West. It was tough.
Speaker 1: You were known as chicking George back Dan, which is kind of where did you get that nickname from?
Speaker 4: Was growing up?
Speaker 2: Loved animals and we started stealing chickens and people don't give me chickens. I ran away at the kid because my stepdad became abusive to my mom. And so I met a guy land Terrence, and his mother missus Burnt and me. I just went to the house. I ain't won't leave one day and she's like, well, you come on in. So she really bought me clothes, help me go to school and things like that. She was a good woman. And see she gave me that name chicken jaw after watching me after you know, the movie roots and stuff and seeing me with chickens and I hate I hate that lamb as I got older.
Speaker 4: You know, but it stuck.
Speaker 1: And tell me about your best friend, Eric Batiste. How did you guys meet?
Speaker 2: We met in about four to fifth grade, I think at Phillips Weekly School. We met and we just instad became instant France. And we had so much in common, like I said, coming from broken homes and uh, we just we just had like a real bob peer love. But we were started leaving cut school together and just to go to fence quarters on Burger Street just to tap dance and shine shoes, just to earne food for cheeseburg.
Speaker 4: You know, it was something to eat and some clothes because it.
Speaker 2: Would go home and there was no food at at home, you know. Our mom was you know, they work or whatever, didn't have any money for food.
Speaker 4: So we just would fend for ourselves as kids.
Speaker 2: And then we began to go to life of crime. The tap dancing and the shin sho wasn't bringing in much money, so we were begin to see the other guys around our neighb would come in crimes, and so we started doing that work around bringing in like machines and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: So you and Eric were, as I understand it, pretty well known to the neighborhood police as a couple of young kids who were into these petty crimes. But it turns out that Eric was also getting into much more serious crime, which is what ultimately led his unforse an untimely death and to your tragic, wrongful conviction. Richard, can you tell us what happened on that fateful night of April twenty third, nineteen eighty four.
Speaker 3: Yes, So the crime that Georgia was arrested for, it was two young men were seen trying to rob a white couple in the early hours of the morning on a street in New Orleans. It turned into an altercation and one of the people trying to commit for robbery accidentally shot the person he was with, a young man named Eric Batiste, who was a seventeen year old who was George's best friend. And so essentially what happened is that even over a couple who had been robbed, they had descriptions of the two people who robbed them, the second robber did not match George's appearance at all. An officer who knew George and knew Eric from the neighborhood heard being radioedvert Eric Batist had been killed and that the person who accidentally shot him was his accomplice. And just for Eric batist best friend is George Toker. So if someone was committing a crime with Eric Batist and accidentally shot him, it was George Toker.
Speaker 1: And the officer you're referring to was a local cop named Marlon Defillo.
Speaker 2: He and I definitely had a history, you know, coming up in my little Lapeno crime looks career. The arrest me a field time, I had a few wires out, and so he knew me and Eric best friends, So you know, he's the main reason why my name got implicated in his crime.
Speaker 4: You know, I didn't do it.
Speaker 1: Which should have been obvious as soon as the two victims described the man who had killed Eric Batiz to the police.
Speaker 3: So they described an a sailant who was I think five ten or five eleven and who was older than Eric. George was maybe five five or five six at the time, and he also was a very young looking seventeen year old two and he was significantly smaller both an Eric and the description of the second person.
Speaker 1: But even though George didn't fit that description. Officer to Pillow, who had already fixed his sights on George for the murder, completely ignored that fact. And there was something else about George that would have been obvious to the victims had he been the second assailant, yet they never mentioned it when they were shown George's picture in a photo array.
Speaker 3: George had extremely prominent gold teeth at the time, like buck teeth, kind of that you could see with his mouth closed. Even and Neave, a witness, described the person that the shooter as having gold teeth. The mugshots, of course, didn't show George's heights, so they didn't know he was smaller, and his gold teeth weren't clear in the photos, and then they made those identifications, and that's their case, and that is the basis for George getting life without parole.
Speaker 1: And I just wanted to take a quick second to talk about how terribly unreliable eyewitness identifications can be. Now, anyone can see that George doesn't match the description that these two people gave, and yet they themselves id'd him as the shooter after viewing his photo. Richard, can you plane what might have been going on there?
Speaker 3: So as far as we could piece it together. Twenty to thirty years later, they were shown a photo array containing George. Because it was a photo array rather than a live lineup, his height isn't displayed in that and it wouldn't have been apparent to them how distinctive his gold teeth were, And so they make an identification from a photo. I believe it was administered non blind, so by an officer who knew who the suspect was in the photo and vis across racial identification. So it's this classic recipe for a wrongful identification.
Speaker 1: So first off, the photos are not clearly displaying the features that excluded George. In addition, it was non blind, when the only way these should ever be done is that the lineup should be administered by somebody who has no knowledge of who the suspects actually are, nor any contact with the investigators. But even more important than that, in study after study, cross racial identification has been shown to be less accurate than even just making a wild yes. But back in nineteen eighty four, none of this was known and probably should have been, but it wasn't known or considered.
Speaker 3: And then, as we see in a lot of cases, once they have identified someone from a photo that becomes the person they stick with and find ways to discount all the contradictory evidence.
Speaker 1: I mean, had they even cared a tiny bit, they could have looked beyond officer to Fillow's hunch and found truly contradictory evidence. George, after all, had an alibi. Plus there could have been alternative suspects.
Speaker 3: Anyone looking at the case knows that the person they're looking for is someone with a connection to Eric Patis, So it's a pretty small universe of people to look at. And George and his girlfriend they had been in a place called the MRV Motel at the time of a crime. They had been with a group of people including Eric, earlier in the night. They had parted ways about four hours before Eric was killed and had gone together to the MRV motel rented a room there.
Speaker 1: And let's not forget that George was underage. I mean, he wasn't even close to being of age. But apparently at the MRB Motel no things were a little more fast and loose. He didn't necessarily need a credit card or even ID to check in there.
Speaker 3: When we investigated the case years later, it is not hard to find a lot of people who knew that that was the motel in the neighborhood you went to when you were underage, because they didn't ask too many questions coming back years later. We even had the priest from the church across the road saying that this was in nuisance business. They were always renting rooms to underage people.
Speaker 1: George had no idea what had happened to his best friend until the.
Speaker 4: Next day when I got to know that my friend was was cool. I couldn't believe it. I was just in shot. I was going to the seeing more than the villain.
Speaker 2: But you know, my friend mother told me, I don't go down there, Geordie might think you had something to do with it. But then the next day, my friend of mine, Ju told me that, George, you want to know that you wanted for Erica's murder. And my life is really just to stop from there. Because when I went home and my mom was like, George, get your stuff a run, I'm like, man, I didn't do it.
Speaker 4: I'm not running.
Speaker 2: So I always believed that, you know, the justicism was the good guys, you know, the judges and the d's and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: With rumors swirling around that the police were looking for him. George thought he'd better go down to the station and tell them he had nothing to do with Eric's murder. But before he was able to do that.
Speaker 2: They had a knock on the door and there was Ball in the philot lead new pack hell bent on a recipe, and he'll put my head out in the back, like I got you, George, you know, and you're under the rest of him. I'm like, I didn't do it, man, I didn't kill my best friend.
Speaker 4: I wasn't with Eric.
Speaker 2: I was in a hotel when it helped. Man, You're like, yeah, well I finally got you, and I'm like the fellow, I didn't do it.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 2: You know, he was so excited to get me in handcuffs. So when he got me down to the priests and he told her the two detective, this is George right here, you know, and uh, he just throw me to the wolves.
Speaker 1: Literally to the freaking wolves. Like Officer de Fello, the precinct detectives were determined to pin Eric's murder on George by whatever means necessary.
Speaker 2: And they beat me until I give me confessed. I'm like, I'm not I didn't kill my best friend. I'm not confessing, you know, I didn't do it. I've never killed nobody. I'm not no murder and I didn't kill my friends, so I'm not as signing nothing. And they beat me in beat men.
Speaker 4: But then after I got your abiavement a while the tech a little bit road. He told me and said, George just exceed, don't fit the description.
Speaker 2: But uh they get your good lawyer and uh you figured out working out, you know, working out.
Speaker 4: On your home.
Speaker 1: This episode is sponsored by marsh mc cleannan, the world's leading professional services firm in the areas of risk, strategy and people. It's legal and compliance department provides pro bono legal assistance and other support to underrepresented communities and individuals. Two days after his best friend was killed, George Toko was arrested in charge for a second degree murder. He spent the next year of his life in jail awaiting trial. His attorney, Henry Julian, who had just recently left the prosecutor's office for private practice, only visited George twice during that entire miserable year. The third time they met was on the morning of April fifteenth, nineteen eighty five.
Speaker 4: I just went to court one Monday. He like, you ready, we're going to try this morning.
Speaker 2: I'm like, wow, it really and I say it is eric mother out there is my family.
Speaker 4: Nobody would there with my mom, my girlfriend Danielle. That was it.
Speaker 2: I mean, I didn't even I was going to try out that moment for the first green murder, the faith, the depth been.
Speaker 1: And unfortunately George was also facing the note glorious Judge Frank Shay.
Speaker 3: Frank Shay took pride in how many jury trials he could get through in a day, how fast he can move his cases, not providing any kind of justice.
Speaker 1: Some trials in front of Frank Shay went as quickly as get this ninety minute. Yeah you heard that correctly. Over his thirty three year career as a judge in Section G of Louisiana Criminal Court, Louisiana went from thirteenth to second in the nation for incarceration, and since his reign ended, some of the faulty convictions coming out of his court have been vacated. In addition to George, there's Isaac Knapper, Elvis Brooks, one of our recent guests on the show, and Calvin Duncan who we know to be an absolutely breathtakingly brilliant prison lawyer who's helped a lot of other prisoners with their appeals. But let's get back to the trial.
Speaker 3: George's lawyer had really done very little investigation of the case. And this is not a not a difficult case to investigate it.
Speaker 1: Right, Like we talked about earlier, Eric Batist did this with someone he knew, so there's not a long list of potential suspects. And George's girlfriend Danielle was there to testify that they had parted with Eric about four hours before his death and gone to that infamous MRV motel where it seems everyone in town knew that a very young person could get a room.
Speaker 3: But the defense law was not prepared for prosecution, calling the owner, who, of course wants to protect his business, and so I said, no, of course, you do everything by the book. No wonder was young looking at George would ever get to rent room there? Which is I mean going back, we found just everyone from the neighborhood knew that was the motel you can rent room when you're underage.
Speaker 1: Well, who knows what else was going on behind the scenes there, Right, it's entirely possible that the cops either threatened the motel owner or that he very well might have faced some sort of charges himself. So for him, it was probably expedient to go ahead and testify to what they wanted him to say, right exactly.
Speaker 3: I think that's always at least an employed for it. When when you're running a somewhat sketchy business in law enforcement comes cooling. You want to make law enforcement happy.
Speaker 1: I mean, right off the bat, that would have been a great way to impeach that witness. But George, it just didn't even occur to your attorney. It just didn't even think to raise that on cross examination.
Speaker 4: He thought like he thought I was guilted. He didn't care.
Speaker 2: He was so inferior of just Shaye and other people either just scared the object or just doing anything. He didn't have the investigative team.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: He could have simply got the hotel phone records that would exonerate me within thirty days instead of thirty years. He could have got the dinal records for the gold teep. He didn't go get that. He just didn't care.
Speaker 1: But then there's a whole other element of this Richard, which is the victim's family, what was their role in this? Because they believed throughout in George's innocence, right, I mean that would seem like some powerful testimony.
Speaker 3: So I think what we see here is that for police and prosecution, they wanted to treat Eric as a victim so they could use a murder charge against George, how they could get life of outprole against George. That essentially they were only treating Veeric as a victim to the extent that it helped them punish George, and nothing to do with compassion for the family keeping even just like basic professionalism in terms of keeping them informed.
Speaker 1: And as a result of that, they weren't even notified of the trial as I understand it against George. That would be powerful for a jury to see the victim's family sitting right behind the accused. I mean that's going to have an impact on people, right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I think when they heard the evidence about this older, this older, taller person with son, they you know, they already knew it wasn't George because they knew George wouldn't like of them if he'd been responsible for Eric's death. But they'd have had, you know, like additional that reallyesing to know it wasn't George. If they known this description, you know they know George, they know Eric, they know George's modern the older too to hus and compared to Eric.
Speaker 1: So predictably, George, you were convicted of second degree murder and given a mandatory sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole. This was on April twenty third, nineteen eighty five. But I have to ask how long did the trial take and how long did the jury deliberate?
Speaker 2: It was it was a two day trial. It was it a circus. It was it just it wasn't nothing done right. The judge kept rushing the winner's office. Stands he had a five o'clock appointment to go to I think I go to the golf golf events he had. He had no respect for black people at all. And and then most shocking, he sluck into the jury deliberating rum the second day of trial and directed the jury verdict.
Speaker 1: Wait what the he went into the jury room during the deliberations.
Speaker 2: He got Tyler waiting for the jury to come out the great rum, and he went in there and I can it's a imagine that's what he told me to kill him out there so he could leave, so the track could show that he actually went into the jury rum and discussing took part into the jury deliberation of my trial. So after he came out of there, the jury they all agreed the secondary murder and I was wont for convicted. My first five years after being wont for convicted, I just laid in the cell in the darkness, this this in depressed and mold this shock, this disbelief because that that system that then that just took my life for for wrong, convicted of killing my best friend, somebody I love. But but I know I knew I was innocent. That the main thing I knew I didn't kill my best friend. I was innocent, and I knew that the truth will you know, will come out, and so that that that would kept me strong like that I didn't do it.
Speaker 4: The whole neighborhood know, I didn't do it, the whole city.
Speaker 2: No, I didn't do it, And I just do believe that God knew and that it was gonna work.
Speaker 4: Out for me.
Speaker 2: So that's why I just just kept hold on to mount mount troop and my faith and uh I began to pass so you know, and God spoke to me, you know, like like he let me know, like George get in the position to be to be blessed. You got you gotta start going low live Berry, get out, get out the TV room, and and this depressed state just sitting around crying about stuff that's not gonna change or not. You gotta you gotta start doing something to.
Speaker 4: Change the situation.
Speaker 2: So I would begin to write innocent projects and stuff like in Canada and uh New Jersey, I wrote, Oprah Winfrey. I wrote, anybody, anybody can reach out for help, shall my store? And then I, uh, Calvin came to Lord Liberry when I said, man, I got an innocent product and knew all that.
Speaker 1: Richards comes back to you. Now, how did Ipno select George's case and how do were you able to undo this tragic miscarriage of justice?
Speaker 3: I believe Calvin Duncan, another of our clients, recommended it, who, as Calvin Duncan, was very active in our organization getting started and in recommending a lot of our early cases. Really, the investigation got going in about two thousand and three, and so we filed in court for George on two thousand and four based on investigation that had found evidence as to who the taller, older person was with Eric, who we found by talking to people in the neighborhood and following up of rumors that George and his family heard over the years to find out people who actually had like direct admissible knowledge on the issue. And then we filed a post conviction application in two thousand and four and immediately stepped on a landmine because we moved to a cues for judge, a judge named Julian Parker, because the judge had been a prosecutor in the DA's office of a time. George's case was tried, and the judge did not take that well and it ended with a judge not recused in us in front of that judge trying to present George's case with a judge who was not happy. He took it as a personal affront. And so that's how George's litigation started with our office, with us really offending the judge who was the decision maker.
Speaker 1: So a really auspicious start with Judge Parker, but still there was truly compelling evidence to support George's innocence claim.
Speaker 3: In the course of our investigation, we had found fingerprint lifts where it appeared that the person who had shot Eric had touched the car at the crime scene. We filed in two thousand and four, and we're going to move to have these fingerprints examined. We had located with fingerprints and had them moved for safe keeping to the head of Property evidence at a Clerk of Court's office at a criminal court at two Lane Abroad on the ground floor. And that's why they were on August twenty nine, two thousand and five, when the levees broke and that entire room went underwater, because it was the key crucial evidence was being stored below sea level in New Orleans. You know, cases are always a struggle, but we've never kind of had a case that like started this badly from when we started litigating. And George is very kind to laugh because this was a cruel situation he was putting from the get go.
Speaker 1: So Hurricane Katrina literally washed away one of the greatest hopes for relief in your case. You can't make this stuff up.
Speaker 2: When it's when it's say we found it, and they hear that I'm like a part print or something he touched the call, I'm like, you know, they're gonna show me were one me and that you know, they don't they don't examinerate me. So yeah, and they got that phone.
Speaker 4: Go I was it was I would devastate it. That was the first time I actually.
Speaker 1: But there was still a glimmer of hope. EPNO had managed to track down multiple witnesses who had either given affidavids or who had been willing to testify on George's behalf at the original trial, but they were never called by the defense.
Speaker 3: They were with the group when they split up at the like the night before the murder, and so they knew that, like George and his girlfriend went one way and Eric and a couple of other people went another way, so they knew who Eric had left with and lo and behold, it includes a guy called Edison Lierson, who is an older, taller guy. And then additionally we found people who had then seen Edison Lison just a few hours after it was called killed, like in the area, crying because he'd accidentally killed Eric, who were willing to testify to this. And then we also had a lot of witnesses who were willing to say of course MRV rented to juveniles, so we had a lot of witness testimony even without the documents. So we are to proceed with that, even both on basis of George being actually innocent and on the basis that if his lawyer had done a better investigation, he could have presented at least some of his evidence at George's trial and made a difference of that way. So we went to court with that.
Speaker 1: So how was this evidence received by Judge Parker.
Speaker 3: After hearing all these witnesses testify. This is in front of the judge. We had tried and failed to accuse him. He was essentially more aggressive than for prosecuting, and the judge says, I believe your witnesses are liars essentially, so or I don't find them credible. So I'm not even going to consider if you're entitled in utile and I'm going to procedurally by you. So the judge kicked George's case out of court.
Speaker 1: But you were able to appeal that and managed to get Georgia new hearing. And around this time, the US Supreme Court had been making a number of landmark decisions in juvenile justice, including Miller versus Alabama, in which mandatory life without parole sentences were ruled unconstitutional for juveniles, and.
Speaker 3: Of course George was a juvenile and had automatically been given life without parole, so that was a question of whether this was retroactive. And obviously being made eligible for parole, being able to be possibly released, is better than nothing for George, but it's not what he deserved. He's innocent, he'd never had a fair trial. But we want to want to shoot for every target we can to try and improve Georgia's situation.
Speaker 1: But when IPNO raised Miller versus Alabama as it applies to George's case with the Louisiana Supreme Court, they ruled that the statute did not apply retroactively, which was an issue that the Supreme Court in the United States had yet to reserve.
Speaker 3: So we took the issue to the US Supreme Court, and the US Supreme Court actually chose George's case as the one to grant Sergio rari for that they were going to use his case to decide if a ban on automatic juvenile life without parole sentences was retroactive. And we have been lucky enough to get Brian Stevenson of Equal Justice Initiative, who some trouble all lists know is like the best in for business when it comes to this kind of stuff going to argue George's case. And at that point, as the case was getting ready to be argued in the US Supreme Court, a district attorney's office came to George with basically an offer of a deal was made, and this was that George could get out of prison but if they would essentially reduce the murder charge to manslaughter they were also charging with armed robbery, and he would be able to get out of prison that day, but it wouldn't be an exoneration. He wouldn't actually have to admit killing his friend, but he would have the conviction in place for having killed his friend. And so that is for position George was put in and it was very very hard for him to accept this.
Speaker 1: And New Orleans Parish District Attorney Leon Connezauer's decision here is is pretty telling. I mean, let's face it, clearly he had some trepidation about facing Brian Stevenson and probably getting his ass handed to him before the Supreme Court. But not only that they'd be facing off on a case like.
Speaker 3: George's, even amongst anyone who has been sentenced to juvenile life without parole. George was unusually sympathetic. He was innocent the crime and issue, while it was legally met with a different definition of murder, it was an accident, and he had, you know, this incredible prison record. So I think looking at that, I think you can understand why a prosecutor who may not want the barn automatic juvenile life about pro to be made automatic, would not want George to be the test case on the issue.
Speaker 1: So George, at that point he made the heart wrenching decision to take the sentence reduction, keeping your conviction in place, and on January twenty ninth, twenty fifteen, you were finally released after thirty long, miserable years, you.
Speaker 2: Know, having to pick a pleeple's up. I didn't do it in my bedfind I mean it was a double name ya. I thought I'd walk out and victory elected everybody else. But it was good to get out of prism and being able to see my mom, you know, seeing her if he spent the time my mondre.
Speaker 4: She died not like a your other.
Speaker 2: So that's the audit bright side, because coming home, it was great to be out of jail.
Speaker 4: It was a great eat some nice food, different restaurants.
Speaker 2: You know, there's some pying with a lady that would have But for me, my nightmare was still going on. It was still difficult, been less situation, and just everywhere I went, I was just getting duors slammed my fate. I was still bogged down by a conviction for something I didn't do. I was out, but not free.
Speaker 1: But it's important to understand what George was up against. At that time. No one knew how the Supreme Court would have ruled on the retroactivity question. If they had ruled against it, kind of Zara's plea deal would have been gone and George would have had to continue his appellate fight. If, on the other hand, they'd ruled in favor, George would still be looking at a life sentence, but with parole eligibility as well as a continued fight to clear his name. So George took the plea and was released, even if he wasn't truly free. However, in twenty sixteen, almost exactly one year after George's release, the Supreme Court of the United States ruled in Montgomery versus Louisiana that the rule did apply retroactively. Had George not taken Connizzaro's deal. How many times would he have been denied parole? Would he otherwise receive justice on his innocent's claim in trial errors? Who knows how much more time he would have spent an Angola. So he took the deal in front of him, as I think I and probably almost all of our listeners would have done had we been faced with the same Sophie's choice that George was. But the story doesn't end there. Fortunately, there was a confluence of circumstances and personalities that came together, starting with the twenty twenty election of a new DA Jason Williams, who had represented George in one of his early appeals. In addition, a new reform minded judge, Nandy Campbell took the bench in Section g off Louisian Criminal Court, the position previously held by the notorious judges Shay and Parker. And finally, thanks to the work of Hypno, a new law was passed in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 3: The one recognized that, for the first time in clear or that proving your innocence with evidence, even if it wasn't DNA, was a basis to vacating conviction, which was something we never had when we were litigating George's case. And second, gave prosecutors for power to essentially propose resolutions to the court that the court could accept, even if that wasn't necessarily a strictly legal right to for thing. And so this would have been great for George, except for that was for prosecutor problem because who was for prosecutor on the case.
Speaker 1: Since the new prosecutor, Jason Williams, had formally represented George as an up and coming defense lawyer, he had to recuse himself and could not propose a resolution in this case.
Speaker 3: Fortunately, Judge Campbell appointed a special prosecutor, a guy named Ron Wilson, who you know, had a real understanding of the circumstances of Georgie case, and he's thought, well, the appropriate use for prosecutor's power in this situation is that we should vacate George is guilty plea conviction, it was unjust, and that we should dismiss the case against him. This is not a case that should be prosecuted. And so in September of last year, in twenty twenty two, George was actually fully exonerated.
Speaker 2: You know, like right now, since I've been exonerated. I can sleep, I can dance, I can leave, I can look hold my head up, I can look in the mirror, you know, because that's who I am. I'm not a mur I like right now is one big part.
Speaker 4: I'm always dancing.
Speaker 2: There and laughing, because yeah, that's that's my real proton.
Speaker 1: Well, George, you deserve to be laughing. You've been through so much and I know you're going to make the best of everything that's coming up for you. And in fact, you started your own business, a landscaping business called Royal Horticulture, and I know you talk about it a lot. You just love working outdoors, right, Yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Keep my dope and and I won't be locked in a where I love to be out you know, and is my dream to be successful.
Speaker 4: A landscape company as well as real estate.
Speaker 1: Folks, if you're in the New Orleans area and you need some landscaping work done, look up George Toka. We'll have a link to Royalty Horticulture in the bio so you can find them. So with that said, we now turn to the closing of our show, which is called Closing Arguments, And this is the part of the show that first of all, I thank you, guys, Richard Davis and George Toka, thank you so much for being here and sharing this harrowing story. And now I'm going to kick back in my chair, turn my microphone off, and close my eyes and just listen for anything else you want to share with our audience. So, Richard, once you go first, and then George will take us off into the sunset.
Speaker 3: So I guess the thing for me is just seeing the different is made to George, for difference between merely being out of prison, being physically free, and the I guess for want for better expression, spiritual freedom that has come to him with being actually exonerated. And I think that has just been so striking for me. We worked very hard on George's case, a lot of people working on this case over the years, but I, you know, always thought it was not just a shame but the tragedy. But all we had managed was get him out of prison. We hadn't gone in for a result he deserved. So I think just seeing what the difference it has made to George being exonerated is. I think it's something we've said, but I think it's bad saying again.
Speaker 2: I like to say in Clauding that you know, America's you know, one of the greatest countries, well degree the country you know, in the world, and I love, love it, but like I said, I know there's some some bad things about our country, and one of them is the you know, the justice system where a lot of the predators and that some of the racist things that still exists. You know, it's it's said that you know what happened to me, and that that happens all over to other men, particularly you know, young black men. How our lives are just get destroyed behind some deed a lawyer who just who just wanted for their career and not really valued a human aspect to the job. And that would take a young kid at seventeen or whoever age and just destroys life like that, and just you know, Sinema Prinden for the rest of his life.
Speaker 4: I lost a lot.
Speaker 2: I don't have any children, never been married, and a lot of the years of my life was going I can't get back, and I struggled with that at the time. But I also gained a lot, and so you know, I realized in my life, I can't live in anger and all that and and be better that's not who I am, and that's not a good way to live. You know, my mind to it is like Jesus Christ, you know the advice that he went about doing good. So that's my thing every day to get up to try to do good and to help people and to perfectivelybor chain. Lit'll do just system, however, that's just will live a be a good man and do good and enjoy life.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to Wrongful Conviction. You can listen to this and all the Lava for Good podcasts one week early by subscribing to Lava for Good Plus on Apple Podcasts. I want to thank our production team Connor Hall, Andy Chelsea, and Lyla Robinson, as well as my fellow executive producers Jeff Kempler, Kevin Wartis, and Jeff Clibern. The music in this production was supplied by three time OSCAR nominated composer Jay Ralph. Be sure to follow us across all social media platforms at Lava for Good and at Wrongful Conviction. You can also follow me on Instagram at It's Jason Flomm. Wrongful Conviction is a production of Lava for Good Podcasts and association with Signal Company Number one the boy An, the land in the dun Y