Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. You're listening to the Bloomberg Intelligence Podcast. Catch us live weekdays at ten am Eastern on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business App. Listen on demand wherever you get your podcasts, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: So the headline's coming fast and furious from everywhere when it comes to political risk.
Speaker 3: Joining us now is Nathan Dean.
Speaker 2: He's Bloomberg Intelligence Senior Policy a list Nathan, what is the rhetoric that we're going to see out of the White House this afternoon based on now Canada putting tariffs on US deal on aluminum and the EU threatening retaliation as well.
Speaker 4: I think it's going to.
Speaker 5: Be very similar to the truth social posts that we saw from yesterday from President Trump and responding to the Ontario premiere Doug Ford in terms of those tariffs or at least the export taxes that they was putting on electricity to those one point five million Americans up in Minnesota and New York, you know, And I think this is what you're gonna wait and you're gonna see this exactly the same thing coming from EU, because look, you know, we've always been telling our clients. When it comes to tariffs, President Trump goes out there with these big statements and that subsequently walks them back negotiates, and that doesn't really see the fruition. However, over the last few days, we begin to see that the you know, the small incremental tariffs take place, the twenty percent tariff on China, you know, the medals, the aluminum and steel tariffs on Canada just yesterday. So these tariffs are now coming into fruition. And so I think the writeric is going to continue. But we always have to just go back to the idea that there's one person that decides whether these tariffs happen or not. It's President Trump. So you always have to just keep your mind open that he could potentially walk some.
Speaker 4: Of this back.
Speaker 6: I've asked this before, I'll ask it again, And now now it's on this issue of taris where are the Democrats?
Speaker 7: Who's the voice?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so they're still trying to figure out their voice.
Speaker 5: I mean, obviously there's been a lot of push in terms of from House Democrat trying to tell their Senate colleagues that they should vote no on this government funding bill that's making its way through Congress, in response to DOJE, in response to tariffs, just in response to President Trump's agenda. The Senate Democrats are actually meeting today. They have to figure it out. There's going to need to be eight votes for the Democrats on Friday, because Senator Ran Paul is going to vote no.
Speaker 4: Otherwise we're going to risk a government shutdown.
Speaker 5: And I just do not think the Senate Democrats have a strategy yet in place that warrants what their response to President Trump will be. And as a result, you know, a lot of the news cycle continues to be dominated by President Trump and his actions.
Speaker 2: I have to say, the fact that we could have a government shutdown has not at all been on my radar. That seems like the least thing, the last thing we got to worry about here when it comes to being a market participant.
Speaker 3: So no, like, where are we though, will it shut down? Are we good?
Speaker 8: Well?
Speaker 5: Your view is absolutely correct from the mindset of those who pay attention to the markets, because when it comes to government shutdowns, there's very little impact to markets. I mean, the thirty five days cut down that occurred under President Trump's first administration, markets went down and then subsequently came back up. But where we are at the moment is yesterday the House Republicans passed a bill. It's not a clean bill, but a clean ish bill, mostly clean but has a lot of things in their Democrats don't like. But what Speaker Johnson did is he said, look, we've passed the bill.
Speaker 4: He sent the House home, everybody left town.
Speaker 5: So now it's up to the Senate Democrats to decide are we going to support this bill or are we going to risk shutting the government down. And because the House is gone, a shutdown will most likely occur. I think the Senate Democrats will ultimately take the deal. I maybe out of consensus, out of that, but I just do not think that the Senate Democrats right now are aligned on their strategy. And just as a few minutes ago, Representative Alexandria Acasio Cortez was tweeting out that people should be calling the Senate Dems because it looks like, in her words, they're going to start the cave. So I don't think the government's going to shut down. But again, for those people who pay attention to the markets, there's really no impact here. I mean, short term shutdown really even doesn't impact the equities like large defense contractors.
Speaker 6: What's the sense of timing, Nathan, When will we get a decision on a potential shutdown or what the Senate's going to do.
Speaker 5: I think tonight you'll start to see the comments from the Democratic senators giving indication of their position. You know, Senator John Fennerman has already come out and said he's going to vote for the bill. But all these other a lot of the other moderate Democrats who potentially could vote for this or keeping their powder dry, They're essentially saying, look, it's a choice of two bad choices President Trump's agenda, or we risk shutting the government down. But I don't think the Democrats are going to try and surprise this by Friday. I think we'll know either by late tonight or early tomorrow where they're going, because look, at the end of the day, it's not an easy choice for them, and the last thing they want, I think, in my opinion, is to surprise everybody and just say we haven't been saying anything for days and then oop, weights we're we're not gonna vote for this, but you know, anything can happen. We're in You know, these are times that a lot of people don't know what's going to happen.
Speaker 3: What okay, let me say something crazy.
Speaker 2: What I found really interesting was that we had Ontario putting a REFFS on hydro power right, and then all of a sudden moments later, like a day later, it was taken off. And then now the negotiation has started to happen between Ontario and the US.
Speaker 3: What do we make of that.
Speaker 2: Like do we make of the fact that, like any retaliatory tariffs won't have any teeth because it's all a negotiating ploy, and that Trump is going to get them to the table no matter what.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, I'll say, look, that's the primary objective is to get them to the table and to negotiate. But also if you look at the Canadian steel and aluminum tariffs, you know President Trump's truth social statement said look, we're going to fifty percent. Subsequently we're now at twenty five percent, so that tariff did actually take place. But you know, this process I think continues exactly how it's been for the last few months. President Trump puts out a statement, says we're going to do this, markets react to it, there's a negotiation, sometimes just hours later it's walked back, and there's additional open doors and additional nuggets that says, maybe this isn't going to happen, but in crementally tariffs are being put on place, that twenty percent tariff on China, for example. So you know, if investors have not already looked at the supply chain aspects of the companies that they're looking at, they need to do so now because we can't say with one hundred percent certainty that these tariffs aren't going to happen. So investors need to be prepared for that supply chain disruption or the tariff hit as a result of it.
Speaker 6: All Right, Nathan, let's be a glass half full type of view here and say the government will not shut down. What are the next couple of things on Congresses to do list?
Speaker 5: Do you think, Well, you know, Speaker Johnson is really trying to push forward with this House Reconciliation package to extend President Trump's tax cuts. This was going to cost around four point five trillion dollars to extend those.
Speaker 4: Now they have to do it by the end of the year.
Speaker 5: If a government does shut down, nobody's allowed to work on that, and so the Republicans not be able to work on that until the government reopens. Now, assuming the government reopens, Speaker Johnson even just said this morning that he hopes for all of this to be.
Speaker 4: Resolved by men.
Speaker 5: I'm not exactly sure that they're going to be able to get there, because even though the Republicans were unified yesterday in terms of keeping the government open in terms of a budget, it was only a six month continuing resolution, and it was a Cleanish bill. That's much different than asking New York State Republicans are you going to support not giving much in terms of salt.
Speaker 4: Relief, or asking other folks are you going to.
Speaker 5: Support taxes on tips which potentially could drive the deficit even higher.
Speaker 4: So the Republicans have to figure out.
Speaker 5: Because there's no Democrats involved in this, the Republicans are going to have to have some very strong and powerful conversations. And I'm not exactly sure that's going to take place in May. I think that's going to bleed throughout the summer. But that work will continue next week, assuming the government stays open again.
Speaker 2: I was just at an energy conference in Houston for a couple of days, and the theme is that CEOs are really confused. People are not pulling projects, but they're definitely pressing the pause button on many many things.
Speaker 3: Is the administration listening to CEOs?
Speaker 4: I think so.
Speaker 5: I mean, obviously, the President Trump met with the Business Roundtable yesterday. This is a collection of large CEOs from you know, Fortune five hundred companies, and you know, we heard the reporting that that was the message that President Trump gave. But I would also say that President Trump is very very much a believer in his strategy at the moment, and I don't think there's much of the business community is going to be able to.
Speaker 4: Say to change his mind.
Speaker 5: I think that it has to come from sticker shock from prices, because prices are what got drove a lot of voters to President Trump in the November elections, and prices is something that a lot of American consumers, especially Americans that don't have access to the markets, that don't have assets in the markets, want to see from President Trump. And so I think that price discussion, as we'll see over the next few months, is what ultimately may change President Trump's mind. But then again, you also liked seeing the stock market in the green, so you know, again, it's just it's very hard to predict.
Speaker 6: Did we get any meaningful news out of that meeting yesterday with the business leaders Nathan Now, not.
Speaker 4: That I would say to any of my clients.
Speaker 5: I think it was just more of the same that you know, business leaders were saying, Look, we're looking for deregulation. Deregulation is not a magic wand it's going to take time. I think there was a lot of sentiment around the election around deregulation. They're looking for clarity on tariffs. I don't think you're going to get that. I think the strategy of strong statements subsequently with negotiations, and then they're looking for clarity on this tax debate, and you know the problem with that is that it's just going to take a long time because you know, they have to figure out how to pay for a four point five trillion in tax scuts or they have to figure out a way to keep it as less impactful on the deficit as possible. And so I don't think there was a lot of clarity coming from the White House to the business leadership. I think it was business leadership talking points going to the White House.
Speaker 2: How much do you think all this is currently reflected in the equity prices are in equity prices.
Speaker 5: I think it's beginning to be a little bit more and more. I mean, because I think the realization is like, look, this isn't exactly turning out the way that I think a lot of investors thought after the election in terms of sentiment, you know, the tariff discussion. I think a lot of people have presumed that President Trump was going to back down on it, and look, he may, but President Trump is certainly asking some very difficult questions of the market when it says, look, starting tonight at midnight, I'm putting on a fifty percent tariff and then two hours later saying no, maybe not, We're going to negotiate instead.
Speaker 4: Markets don't like that.
Speaker 5: So I think what we're seeing right now is just this uncertainty and per your point about you know, pausing a lot of projects, I think a lot of investors are just saying, look, we need clarity on what's going to happen here, otherwise we're going to begin to really try and protect our positions.
Speaker 4: They're not there yet. But if this uncertainty in.
Speaker 5: This like you know, volatility continues from the political landscape, I wouldn't be surprised if you know, my investors react in a different way in the.
Speaker 4: Next few weeks.
Speaker 6: Nathan, thanks so much. We appreciate that Nathan Dean are man of reason. Nowt there in Washington, d C helps us understand some of these policy moves coming out of Washington, DC. Nathan Dean, senior policy analyst with Bloomberg Intelligence, joining us from Washington, d C.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Intelligence podcast. Catch us live days at ten am Eastern on Apple Coarcklay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app. Listen on demand wherever you get your podcasts, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Be broadcast to you live for Interactive Brooks Studio right here in Midtown Manhattan. You can also check us out on YouTube dot com as well. All Right, yesterday, the US and Ukraine have reached a thirty day seaspire with Russia now it hinges on Russia's acceptance. While speaking to reporters at the White House, President Trump addressed that deal.
Speaker 3: Saying it's now up to Russia to agree.
Speaker 2: Your friends agreed to it, and hopefully Russia.
Speaker 9: Will agree to it.
Speaker 6: We're going to beat with them later on today and tomorrow.
Speaker 5: And hopefully we'll be able to wipe out a deal, but I think the CEASPI is very important.
Speaker 7: If we can get Russia to do it, that'll be.
Speaker 2: Greaty All right, joining us now is Oliver Krook, Bloomberg Gear correspondent on these talks. He joins us from Berlin. All right, Oliver, what do we know? What is the state of play?
Speaker 7: Yeah, so listen, it's is ceasfire agreement.
Speaker 10: We should just say cannot be agreed to by only sort of one set of parties. But we should say that the Youans now finally got on board, and that is not what they wanted to do even two weeks ago. Right, we were hearing from Zelensky in a number of top Ukrainian officials before that massive blow up in the Oval Office, saying that basically they do not want to come to a conversation about a ceasefire. They want to come to a conversation about the lasting just peace. That obviously changed after the United States posit its military equipment deliveries to Ukraine, stopped giving them intelligence, all that sort of thing that kicked off last week. And now they've come at the table and it sounds like they have agreed with the United States after those talks in Saudi Arabia with Secretary of State Mark Rubio to that thirty day seaspire. The US sees this as basically trying to create the conditions under which you can negotiate that permanent peace agreement. This thirty day seaspire would also include an exchange of prisoners of war, release of civilian detainees, the return of the forcibly transferred Ukrainian children, and really to put together these negotiating teams which haven't obviously had any contact between Russia and Ukraine since the beginning of the war, and that has led to the immediate resumption now of the un of American military kit to Ukraine as well as intelligence. And you know, it has been just basically the United States and Ukraine. And now, as you were just saying, you know, basically everything is in Putin's court right now as to whether or not he's going to even entertain these discussions.
Speaker 6: And to that end, Oliver Bloomberg News has some reporting out that Putin eyes way to truce terms, but with his own conditions.
Speaker 4: I'm not really sure what that means.
Speaker 6: So maybe the broad question is a do we think Putin's going to engage in this process right here now, with this agreement, and what did we think he wants.
Speaker 7: I suspect not just right here and now.
Speaker 10: I mean I think that forever, since the beginning of this war, for the last three years, time has been on the side of the Russians, So they have really in no rush, particularly since they've sort of gained momentum on the battlefield.
Speaker 7: Again.
Speaker 10: That could mean a great many things. We've heard a number of things from the Russians. They have said a number of things that are basically non starters. They want to take basically all of the eastern regions of Ukraine, so that's lu Hansk, Donetsk, Zaporisha, and Kurzon. These are not even territories that they fully occupy right now. So this would mean even further concessions. They would want legal recognition of that. They would want Ukraine to basically abandon its aims.
Speaker 7: To join NATO.
Speaker 10: They would say that also European troops a sort of deterrent or peacekeeping forces with Ukraine are non starter. So these are all things that the Russians have said in the past that they basically are non starters to any sort of agreement that begs the question of what really is in the interest of the Ukrainians or is this just going to be basically a pretense for the Americans to abandon Ukraine if they say, you know, they basically cannot surmount the terms. What I think is interesting and this was probably the most interesting thing we got out of the press conference for Marco Rubio yesterday, saying that basically they hope that the Russians will sign the deal, but if they do not, they'll know who the impediment to peace will be. That then provokes this question, and we don't really know the answer to this from the Trump administration.
Speaker 7: If the Russians refused to come to the table and.
Speaker 10: The United States is dissatisfied about.
Speaker 7: It, what is Trump prepared to do about it.
Speaker 10: We've had some talk about potential financial market regulations and potentially sanctions on banks and finance as well as fossil fuels. We haven't really fleshed out that side of things. We know the sort of the difficult circumstances they're willing to impose on Ukraine, but less so what they're willing to impose upon Russia.
Speaker 3: Does Europe have a seat at this particular.
Speaker 7: Table, emphatically not so.
Speaker 10: I think the best that the Europeans can basically hope for US to get kind of an update at the G seven Foreign ministers meetings that's happening right now in Canada. But basically, no, they do not have a seat at the table as it stands. I mean, I think that the US's plan, what they would like to see longer term is the Europeans to take more security responsibility, obviously in the continent, possibly in Ukraine. But again, this is a very thorny discretion even for the most hawkish voices within Europe. You hear it from the Polish, they are very reticent to ever commit any kind of troops, even as peacekeeping forces within Ukraine. So that is sort of a very difficult conversation have even nationally. So I think that their sort of role in this has been sort of ever diminishing, and I think, I suspect is not going to increase anytime soon.
Speaker 6: Oliver, what are the prospects for maybe timing of a potential meeting between mister Trump and Putin?
Speaker 10: Yeah, so listen, I think that Trump would like to see this happen sooner rather than later. I think again, Putin is proceeding with sort of extreme caution.
Speaker 7: They've got all this sort of groundwork sort of laid for it.
Speaker 10: They would like, we know, to have that meeting, or Trump would like to have that meeting in Saudi Arabia. At this point, though, I think it's way too early to tell when that could happen. We do know from our reporting that Steve Wikoff, who's actually technically the sort of special envoy for the Middle East but seems to be the kind of special envoy for ceasefires generally speaking, he's going to be in Moscow later this week to sort of get the ball rolling there. But again, I think it's very a little bit too early to say to give a timeline on that.
Speaker 2: At this precise moment, where are we in ramping up defense spending in Germany.
Speaker 10: So listen, I think this is going to be This was the kind of the bazooka that was dropped the other week by the leader of the CDU who's going to be the incoming chancellor of Frederick Mertz. Here they were talking about basically performing the debt break, and that is a huge deal here in Germany. The debt break is something that's not just a law within Germany. This is part of the German constitution. They put it in in two thousand and nine after the financial crisis.
Speaker 7: What's interesting is Mertz ran on a.
Speaker 10: Platform basically saying that they will not reform the debt break, and then, you.
Speaker 7: Know, five days after basically.
Speaker 10: Winning the election and not winning sort of a decisive majority, winning just sort of the biggest proportion within parliament, said that they're willing to sort of reform the debt break. That comes with its own issues within Germany at the sort of national level. I mean, you have the AfD, the far right that has been basically accusing a lot of this sort of German politicians to be acting undemocratically. What they are now trying to do is force through this debt break reform which requires two thirds of the parliament with the old parliament, despite the fact that they had an election in order to get this money through and listen, the market was very very pleased about this in many respects, and this was priced in basically all the way to the market, and then there was some doubt about whether or not they're going to get it through. It seems they're going to be able to get the compromise in the lower house in the Buddnestag, But it is not necessarily a done deal that they're going to be able to reform the debt break to get all that defense spending done.
Speaker 6: So when do we get clarity out of Germany there on this story, Oliver, Except obviously it's a big, big move.
Speaker 10: Yeah, we should get it over the next couple of weeks. Right now, where it's basically stuck is at the Bundestag, where the Greens they basically they need to get the Greens on board in order to reform this. At the first sort of step, the Greens have kicked up with a bit of a fuss because they've lost basically a large proportion of their representation in the next parliament and they want to put their stamp on things. I suspect they'll be able to get through that. But then there is the sort of the Bundesrat, which is the upper house. I don't want to get too into the weeds here of German politics, But then you need to get a sort of a lot more complex arithmetic. So we will get clarity of this over the next couple of weeks. But if they can't get this through. This would be an absolutely massive blow of all the sort of talks we've had about defense spending and stuff that they're doing at the EU level, This was by far the most significant thing we've seen out of European defense, and we've seen it priced into a lot of the stocks and a lot of the companies. You know, Ryan Mattel put out their earnings today. This is the biggest sort of defense contractor here within Europe. They're expecting twenty five to thirty percent growth in sales just this year. That could boost even higher if they get this through.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean we're talking almost one trillion euros and I jump changed at the end of the day, Oliver, thanks a lot, really appreciated Oliver Crook joining us. He is Bloomberg Europe, a europe correspondent.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Intelligence podcast. Catch us live weekdays at ten am Eastern on Apple, Cocklay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app. Listen on demand wherever you get your podcasts, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 3: Well, in case you didn't know, I was in Houston.
Speaker 2: Texas yes the last day and a half speaking to many energy CEOs and officials and Secretary of Energy, Secretary of the Interior.
Speaker 3: It was really great.
Speaker 2: We've got a lot of stuff going on there. I did sit down with the conversation with One Oak President Pierce Norton. So One Oak is a major US midstream energy company, which means they transport stuff like natural gas and GLS that's liquefied stuff and crude oil all across the US Energy Corridor. So I asked him, like, can you actually build? Can you build, baby build? If we're gonna tariffs on aluminum and steel.
Speaker 11: What I would give some stats behind that is in two thousand and seven, when the shell Revolution started, there was about twenty tcf a year of gas flowing in the United States. Last year was forty few today trading QP today. Now it's forty two trillion quit feet today. So we've doubled that just since two thousand. That took a massive build out. We've proven we can do it before, and I think we could do it again.
Speaker 2: What do you need to see though from the administration, Because it's permitting, it's now tariffs, it's now you know, putting a pipe in the ground, it's avoiding any lawsuits interestate, Like, what do you need to see to get it done sooner rather than later.
Speaker 11: Well, I think it's anything that actually accelerates, you know, the permitting is a help to us. But we have a slogan at one Oh that you know, we don't pick sides, We pick issues, and if the issue is getting energy as quick as we can, then we need to focus all aspects of that, not just on the administration.
Speaker 12: But what is it that we can do as an.
Speaker 11: Interstate company an interstate company, and what is it we can do as.
Speaker 3: In an industry aside from permitting.
Speaker 2: If we get aluminum steel tariffs of twenty five percent, what kind of headwind is that for build out?
Speaker 11: Well, it's it's a timing issue. You know, for us, we've already built out in most of our assets. We spent ten billion dollars since twenty and seventeen in building out growth projects, and then we spent another twenty five billion in mergers and acquisitions, so we've kind of gotten past that. So it's for on the pipe, it's a timing issue. It's where are you in the process of either trying to negotiate a deal or are you already putting it in the ground. In our case, you're already putting it in the ground, so it's not going to have a material impact on us.
Speaker 2: To that point, your capac span has rammed a lot as you're doing all those projects.
Speaker 4: Right, what.
Speaker 9: When is your peak capex?
Speaker 12: Probably not until the next couple of years.
Speaker 3: And what does that wind up looking like? Because that's a big that's a big spend. How do you reassure investors that, like, it's really going to end there? And what that looks like?
Speaker 11: Right, it's probably around two to three billion dollars a year. But given our size, we're now a sixty you know, billion dollar market cap company. We added, you know, from forty thousand miles of pipe to sixty thousand miles of pipe.
Speaker 12: We cover twenty three different states.
Speaker 11: We go all the way from the well head to water and also all the way to basically the trucks that bring the refined products, the jet fuel, the the diesel of the gasoline, you know, to the end user.
Speaker 2: So when do you think you would be more free cash flow focus versus investment focus?
Speaker 3: When what does that turn look like?
Speaker 12: We're already free cash flow focused?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 9: Can you you could be both.
Speaker 12: Like all that and kids?
Speaker 8: Okay?
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 11: And the reason is because if you have enough free cash flow, it opens up all levers, you know, for cap to allocation. Our first priority is to actually spend money on these high return projects. The second one is to look at an increases. The third one is reducing our debts. You do all that, and you do all of that kind of stuff, and we've announced the two billion dollars buyback program on our stock. We still have money left over from that, but our commercial people find a way to find those good projects for us.
Speaker 12: So I'm not worried about spending that in the right way.
Speaker 2: If oil prices slide, there were six months low yesterday of natural gas prices slide, does that hurt you?
Speaker 3: How does that affect Well.
Speaker 11: What we've seen is that the producers are way more resilient than they used to be used to. When prices would go up or down a small amount, they would either throw rigs, you know, at the issue, or they would you know, they would lay rigs down. Now that that gap seems to be a whole lot wider, and part of that is because they're much more efficient.
Speaker 12: Than they used to be.
Speaker 11: They can drill longer laterals, especially where we are really concentrated up in the Permi Basin and the Balking basin.
Speaker 12: They're drilling. You know, used to drill a two mile.
Speaker 11: Horizontal later announced almost three, so they can do it for less capital.
Speaker 2: I love you brought the Permian because we heard from Mike Worth yesterday of Chevron that the Permian eventually is going to plateau in the next few years.
Speaker 3: Do you see that on a takeaway capacity basis?
Speaker 11: Well, I've been in this business for forty years and one of the things that I've seen is every time you predict something like that, usually they find a way of even becoming more efficient, so therefore opening up more drilling, you know on you know, so you got your probable reserves, you got your possible reserves, and then but your proven reserves are what they're really after. So I would question, I can see what is it that the you know, is he talking about proven or probable reserves because they have different pricing points.
Speaker 2: When you take a look at the kind of infrastructure build out that we're seeing, and I know that you're already putting pipes in the ground, what do you think we need to move stuff in the next five to ten years? Like what stuff were we going to be moving around.
Speaker 12: We're going to move all kinds of molecules.
Speaker 11: What people typically talk about is natural gas, which in our business we call methane, but we're also going to meet molecules.
Speaker 12: For ethane for the petrick ems.
Speaker 11: We're going to move molecules for propane, in which we just announced the DOC down in Texas City with our partner Marathon to provide propane all over the world world scale DOC. We're going to be moving isive utane, normal utane, gasolines, and in our case we move jet fuel, we move gasoline for cars, and we also move diesel fuel. So all of those molecules. There will be more of those to move in the future.
Speaker 3: In your line of sight with those molecules.
Speaker 2: Any signs of a recession in the US, lowing economies, lowing demands.
Speaker 12: So far not not so.
Speaker 2: Definitive, not com here to Norton, I want to President and CEO of course is a major US menstream entergy companies, so they transport.
Speaker 3: All this stuff.
Speaker 12: Now.
Speaker 3: The biggest issue here, not to nerd out on you here.
Speaker 2: Is that in order to make all of us happen, and I mean all of this power demand data centers you name it. You need pipelines and stuff, You need transmission lines, which means you need permitting reform. And I know that people's eyes glaze over when when you hear that.
Speaker 3: But it's a mess.
Speaker 6: Now is this administration? Does the industry have expectations at industry? This industry? This administration will be.
Speaker 2: Better, yes and slash, But will it? Will it stay better? Will it be permanent permitting reform or will it be small tweaks? Because to get permitting reform and get all of the lawsuits potential lawsuits from states taken care of all your pricing, all your sourcing and pipe in the ground in four years could be very much impossible. So you need like permanent reform in order to make it happen. That part, I think is a little bit TBD.
Speaker 6: What has changed, though, is the reasons we need this energy, And I think that being AI, which most people don't know what AI is, and I might throw myself into that camp, but I know it's a thing, and I know it's generally not positive, and it's a strategic imperative for the United States. Therefore, in order for me to be a leader in AI, I have to be a leader in er supporter of energy.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I spoke to some of the big power players, so Constellation Energy, Energy, Next Era.
Speaker 3: These are all the guys like their stock moves like AI stocks because they're the power providers.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 2: They were saying though that their demand growth that they've seen has nothing to do with AI. Oh, it's still cloud, it's still population growth, it's still just general demand. The AI is then layered on top of that. So these kind of forecasts, like the current money that they're making, has nothing.
Speaker 3: To do yet with those data centers.
Speaker 2: Interesting, which I found to be extremely interesting that we're way in the first inning when it comes to beefing up that kind of demand.
Speaker 6: What is the energy folks then are in Houston. What were they feeling about just the tariff discussion?
Speaker 2: Well, they love it, no, I'm kidding, yes, okay, So on the record, everyone was always talking about how that they're minimally exposed. It's demonymous. It's just you know, five percent of their costs. It's no big deal. Off the record, no one loves it. And they also don't love the uncertainty and as mentioning before, Like I asked, particularly Patrick Piane, who's the CEO of tautel energies who is offshore wind projects right? I said, are you throwing them in the trash? He's like nowhere, pausing, And I was like, why pausing. He's like, they're thirty year leases. This is a four year administration. But pause is still a pause, and pause is still like not putting capital into certain projects.
Speaker 6: When I think of energy projects, these things take time long and a lot of capital, So you have to have some level of certainty before you start putting all that money into the ground.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and the buyers have do.
Speaker 7: To yep, all right, good stuff.
Speaker 6: I mean, we got plenty more to go too, But I mean it's it just goes to the issue of you know, the energy so is one of those industries that doesn't like uncertainty.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Intelligence Podcast. Catch us live weekdays at ten am Eastern on Apple Coarcklay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business Up. Listen on demand wherever you get your podcasts, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: I was in Houston, Texas over the last day and a half for a week long conference called Sarah Week. It's where all the energy CEOs, officials, energy ministers, you name it, are all there to discuss policy as well as make deals etc. I was privileged to talk to the CEO of ge Vernova, Scott Straisik. Now gie Rinova was spun off a year ago from ge. It's the gas and wind turbine manufacturer, so power generation, power grid. This is the company that makes all that stuff, the transformers that you plug into the grid to make all the power work. They make that stuff them and three other companies. I sat down with him and I said, look, we have tariffs coming on, there's recession fears everywhere, equities are getting hurt. How does this affect your business? Here's that part of the conversation.
Speaker 13: We've certainly experienced stock volatility over the last six months, but the end market's not so much at all. No, I mean, just like we started the year, I'd say we expect substantial growth in both our gas and our grid backlogs. It's substantially higher margin than when we started the year. Continue to work on operationally proving our winden business. So that's the one in a marketing that's a little bit softer for us, but certainly in our larger, faster growing business, there is really no change through the first two and a half months of the year.
Speaker 9: If we get.
Speaker 2: Tariffs on aluminum steel tomorrow at twenty five percent, how does that impact you At.
Speaker 13: The end of the day, these are technologies that are needed, and this is also an example of where it helps to be a US based company. I mean, we only buy about five percent of our raw materials from Canada, Mexico, China that gets imported into the US, so we'll have to navigate through whatever policies come, but we feel like we can manage through those disruptions.
Speaker 9: Do pricing power to push it through.
Speaker 13: In the end, it doesn't mean in between between now and then, there couldn't be some financial implications for us with only about five percent of our material buy being in those countries. We'll navigate through it, but we're not immune to tariff risks, but we're confident we can navigate our way through this.
Speaker 9: This has been a year for ge Bernova quite a year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been spun out from GE and it's been quite a year in terms of AI and data center demand. What's been the biggest change you leading the company in the last year.
Speaker 13: Well, I mean, I'm proud of the first year, but most Importantly, it's really just the beginning for us because a lot of these trends, whether it be AI, whether it be the electrification of these industries, it's really just starting. So our end markets continue to strengthen. I think there's a more reality based focus on both the need for gas and nuclear, so the demand cycle for both of those continues to get even stronger today than where we were twelve months ago. And it really then comes back to how do we deliver safely and in a high quality way to serve this incredible market that we're walking into.
Speaker 9: Your backlog is huge, right, It's like seventy three billion dollars, right?
Speaker 2: Can you can be perspective like how much of that is AI demand driven?
Speaker 9: How much of that is like win stuff?
Speaker 2: How much of that is transformers which is the stuff you got to plug into the grid.
Speaker 8: You bet.
Speaker 13: It's still a very small proportion of our backlog is directly attached to AI. I mean, when you really think about even data centers in total, there's only about sixty gigawatts of data centers globally today, and only fifteen percent of that it's really explicitly related to AI.
Speaker 8: Most of it's still cloud and storage.
Speaker 13: So that's why there's so much growth to come because we're really just starting. But I'm sure us sitting down a few years from now, it's going to be a larger proportion of our backlog.
Speaker 9: How much do you think it would be.
Speaker 13: Best guess, Oh, it's gonna be a lot more, there's no question about it.
Speaker 9: Dear.
Speaker 8: No, I don't think we get to that proportion.
Speaker 13: But it's going to become more AI centric, and it's becoming even more US based because the amount of growth that we're going to see in the US the rest of the decade relative to the rest of the world, it's going to be more tomorrow than it's certainly been the last five to ten years.
Speaker 2: In the meantime, you cannot get a CEO on the stage at Sarah Week that isn't talking about GeV Ronova because everyone's buying your gas turbines.
Speaker 9: At the end of the day.
Speaker 2: How how much of this is firm contracting? How much of that is just like, yeah, yeah, we like it, we're gonna buy it. Can you give me some insight into that.
Speaker 13: Well, we're very firm in contracts, certainly with our gas turbine, our transformer, our switch gear backlog really through twenty seven into twenty eight. Right now, I would expect by the end of the summer will be largely sold out through the end of twenty eight with those equipment. But we're also looking to kind of find ways to get better every day and a culture of continuous improvement, and if we can increase capacity smartly as we figure out this ramp, we'll do that. But for context, last fall we announced a really almost thirty five percent increase in supply from twenty five levels to twenty seven. So thirty five percent increases a lot. It doesn't mean we stop there, but we've got to get there first and then re evaluate what the art of the possible really is.
Speaker 2: Okay, So to that point, what are the issues with execution?
Speaker 9: Then?
Speaker 2: Like, it's a lofty goal, right You're investing six hundre million dollars in plants in the US, it's a lot.
Speaker 9: How fast can that happen? And what are the roadblocks for you?
Speaker 13: It's got to happen in the next two years, you know, really this company is going to look very different between now and the summer at twenty six.
Speaker 9: What's the biggest hurdle for you to get that done.
Speaker 13: Workers, right, we're going to add over We're going to add over fifteen hundred employees. That's a combination of engineering and craft lay. That's all in the US. Take gas as an example. We've got to add over five hundred heavy.
Speaker 8: Duty pieces of machinery into.
Speaker 13: Our global factories to drive this growth in this ramp. So that's a lot in existing factory footprints. We're highly capable of doing it, but it's a lot between now and let's say the fourth of July of next year. So I like our chances, but there's a lot of work to do.
Speaker 2: Talk to me about the wind part, okay, because that's sort of like the cousin.
Speaker 3: No one wants to talk about right now, right or the auncle.
Speaker 2: If someone came to you and said, Hey, Scott, I like to buy your wind business, would you be like, yes, take it off my hands.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 8: I don't think it's that simple.
Speaker 13: I think at the end of the day, we've got a big onshore wind business today. Even in the US, we have over thirty five thousand wind turbans that are spinning creating electricity today. We see real opportunities to repower that existing install base using the infrastructure that's already been built, but putting longer blades onto the wind turbines that helps the world.
Speaker 8: We think there's a role for wind, and with that role for wind.
Speaker 13: We're focused today on just operationally running this business better every day, waiting for the growth and inflection that comes. So we really are a believer in all the above technology suite. But we'll also look at our portfolio every day with a steely eye on what creates value for our shareholders. But there's no binary yes or no answer to that question. But we're focused on running these businesses better and ultimately creating value.
Speaker 9: All right, So sticking to the wind.
Speaker 2: The other part of your business, which I think is so cool, are the transformers. So yes, you can have all the wind farms you want, all the solar that you want, but if you have to plug it into the grid, so I think it is like a big socket.
Speaker 3: I'm sure it's much more complicated than that.
Speaker 2: But talk to you about the growth there, because everyone talks about AI and data demand, but like, that's where the potential growth is.
Speaker 9: Walk me through the percentages.
Speaker 13: And that's also for context where a lot of our first interactions really came to be more intimate with the hyperscalers.
Speaker 8: I mean, we did over half a billion.
Speaker 13: Dollars of direct electrical equipment with the hyperscalers and orders last year with transformers with switch gears attached their data centers. That's a business that we see substantially growing from here. Two years ago, our backlog coming into twenty twenty three was about six billion dollars equipment backlog. It's north of twenty billion dollars today. So it's a growth rate.
Speaker 8: It'll stay growing.
Speaker 13: Our backlogs certainly will grow at that same level for another year here at expanding margins.
Speaker 8: So this is I think we can have debates.
Speaker 13: Between nuclear gas when what are the power generation sources that are going to power the world?
Speaker 8: Regardless, we need to invest in the grid, yes.
Speaker 2: And that then leads us to transformers. Before I let you go, North America's what like twenty twenty five percent of your business right now? Uncertainty is quite high. We saw it with the nfib A survey today of small businesses. Is now a good time to invest in the US and what part of that business do you think it could be in the.
Speaker 9: Next five years.
Speaker 8: I think it's a great time to invest in the US.
Speaker 13: Yes, we've gone through multiple decades with very little load growth, and it's really imposed possible to underwrite a case that we don't need substantially more electrical equipment and supply here over the next decade.
Speaker 8: And yeah, that's data centers, but it's not just that.
Speaker 13: We're reindustrializing parts of the US to an extent that is going to require more electrical load. You know, EVS, home heating, there's a lot of other factors and beyond that, we just need to modernize what we have for resilience and energy security.
Speaker 9: How big of a percentage could the US or North America be in your portfolio in five years.
Speaker 13: It's going to grow as a proportion, for sure, but it's not the only market. We're continuing to see real growth in Asia and in Europe. But we're very bullish on the US and we're going to keep investing in the US. You cited the six hundred million dollars and fifteen hundred jobs attached to that, but that's not the end, that's just the beginning as we continue to serve this market.
Speaker 3: That was Scott Straisik. He is the CEO of ge.
Speaker 2: Vernova and not much, just a touch of the many conversations, which is obviously bullish power, big big, big way for all the power players, you know, and the oil companies are having a tougher time because of the tariffs and what it means for global flows and all of that. Particularly if we see a peace deal in.
Speaker 3: Ukraine what that means for gas flows. But you know they're managing.
Speaker 6: Is the expectation if there is a peace deal that the Russian gas I mean the oil and gas coming out of Russia that we don't know where it's going, but we know it's out there.
Speaker 2: But expectation is, well, you're still buying some gas from Russia. The real thing is about the gas. The oil will be dictated more by opek plus. The expectation is that gas will come back online in Europe more, but not to the way it was. That's the that's the official line. Well, someone actually winds up happening.
Speaker 3: Have I bored you yet?
Speaker 4: From melody conversation, I'm all in, I'm all in.
Speaker 3: He'll be bored by Friday.
Speaker 1: This is the Bloomberg Intelligence podcast, available on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Listen live each weekday ten am to noon Eastern on Bloomberg dot com, the iHeartRadio app tune In, and the Bloomberg Business app. You can also watch us live every weekday on YouTube always on the Bloomberg terminal.
Speaker 12: H