Speaker 1: Hey guys.
Speaker 2: Sunday Sampler time clips from some of the podcasts I hope you check out. On the Bobbycast, I sat down with Carter Faith, new artist I think you'll like that's coming up on this week's episode of Take This Personally. It's all about grief with Morgan and she had a psychotherapist Paige on to talk about the best way to manage grief.
Speaker 3: So we'll start there.
Speaker 2: You're gonna hear from Four Things with Amy Brown or Losers Get Real with Caroline Hobby Movie Mike's Movie podcast. Let's get started now with Morgan and a clip from Take This Personally.
Speaker 4: Take Personally.
Speaker 5: Feelsman.
Speaker 6: I'm really excited right now to be joined by Judah Acres, who you all may know from Judah and the Lion.
Speaker 5: Judah, how are you doing good?
Speaker 3: It's all cozy here.
Speaker 7: Like this, Yes, it's very cozy vibes.
Speaker 5: And Dog in my Lap.
Speaker 8: We talked about.
Speaker 5: Very deep thingsout telling what I'll say with a Dog.
Speaker 3: In my Lap.
Speaker 6: So I've been a fan of you guys Gosh for years. I mean, you guys have multiple albums at this point, but I really think that your latest album, The Process, is one of my favorite yet, thank you, And I feel like that's just because of how vulnerable and deep it is. And I would so love to know like the life events that led you to put out an album like that, if you're willing.
Speaker 5: To talk about them, Yeah, thank you. That's super sweet. The process, it's kind of one of those funny things where me and Brian, my bandmate, we had this idea to write a record about the process of grief. We chose the Kubler Rossis Stages and this was about, I guess four or five years ago. I had written a record called Pep Talks that was a lot about is kind of growing up as a Southern dude and having great parents, amazing parents, and then kind of watching their life kind of really take a turn and kind of implode in front of me. And the record is whole lot about just kind of like their divorce and what it was like as a twenty four or five year old, you know, dude kind of going through that because a lot of people go through divorce before they're even born, or like with their parents or you know, as an adolescent or a teenager or whatever. And so anyways, so we've always kind of written like from a personal standpoint of like what we're going through in life, and then after a couple really kind of hard deaths in my family, that could be really interesting to kind of right through these Kuble Rossi's stages of grief, which is denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and then acceptance. And so as we were kind of getting done with our last cycle, getting out of the pandemic, we were like, I think this is time to do it because I had just gone through really hard divorce and so outside of like loss, losing my aunt and uncle and grandpa and you know, all of this kind of other stuff and my parents kind of struggling at the time, like this is like, this is the time to write about the process of grief because I transparently did not want to write about my divorce for a lot of reasons. I feel like the world didn't need another divorce record. You know, there's a lot of heartbreak records out there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but you were also going through multiple different versions of grief. You were going through like the loss of life and grief and also the loss of a future that you had believed in, and so to go through writing an album that was going to be multiple different versions of grief is not common also because we are so closely associated with one version of grief, which is the loss of somebody, but the other grief where you have to mourn somebody.
Speaker 9: That's still alive, we don't like to talk about that.
Speaker 5: No, And I definitely was not. I told Brian, I was just like, man, I just when I don't really want to release these songs that I'm writing because they're deeply personal, and now it's like I'm not writing about my parents divorce and writing about my own, which you know, when you get married, you don't ever expect to get divorced, and that comes with like a lot of shame and guilt and personal like defeats that you would have never kind of imagined. But then writing the record and having all these other kind of versions of grief of losing very close ones to suicide and other mental health issues and really learning to kind of, I guess, cope in healthier ways than I was coping. The records a lot about like, you know, the nights that I was over drinking and kind of coping in ways that was not healthy for myself, and wanting people to kind of learn from those mistakes, and yeah, I ended up being just kind of this like wild, like oh my god, like I was in denial so harshly here, whether it be with my mom my mom's like version of kind of running away from just like what she was doing with with alcohol, like denial in that like, oh my gosh, my marriage is in shambles and I can't even really admit that to myself or my friends or whoever. And so getting to kind of go through these stages and be like, man, that was like two years ago, like I was totally in denial here and already like it's the record's only been out for a couple of months, but some of the stories are are really wild and how people can kind of relate, whether it be through heartbreaker divorce or loss in their their family or friends or whatever. And then also just like we never imagine like we had someone, we've had quite a few people actually now come up to us and be like, I just got diagnosed with YadA, YadA, YadA, and the process has kind of helped me accept this diagnosis or accept this harsh thing that you know, And that really just puts it all into perspective.
Speaker 2: What artists do you hear maybe not even artists a word. I think artists word, not singers. What artists do you hear? They kind of speak for you? And I asked that because I was had favorite artists and singers and stuff. But when I was in my twenties or so, like John Mayer would say stuff and I would be like, oh, I think that, Oh this is somebody who's like songwriting my thoughts.
Speaker 3: I never had that happen before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And there are comedians that we'll say things and I'm like, oh, I thought that. I just didn't say that in that way nearest funny and nearest compelling as they did. But like there's who what artists did that for you?
Speaker 10: I think like early Miranda Lambert that was my badass side, you know, and then Casey Musgraves. I remember hearing Mary go around in a Walmart parking lot and I made us stay in the car till we listened to the whole thing for.
Speaker 11: The first time.
Speaker 10: Just people like that, they're just talking about small town normal life because that is what most of America is. And that's definitely the life I lived, was just normal life with these like very intense feelings that all creatives have, that all people have probably so it's definitely a lot of casey Miranda pistolanies.
Speaker 3: Always have you met Maranda?
Speaker 11: I have not met Miranda.
Speaker 2: Very guys are very similar just in Yeah, I'm lucky enough to know Miranda relatively well at this point.
Speaker 3: She just seems real and very soft spoken and quiet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and unless she's like doing her thing that's not her thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's it's.
Speaker 2: Pretty wild because again, she is such a freaking fire crack.
Speaker 3: Yeah she is.
Speaker 10: She's I want her to like stand up for me, you know, in a bar. I want her to be on my mind, and.
Speaker 2: She would, and she'd cut somebody too. But other than that, she's just quiet Miranda who's really not going to get in anybody's way and be a wallflower. But as well, a lot of similarities there.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I just like to observe.
Speaker 10: And you can tell that in her music, I think too, which is why it's not.
Speaker 3: Just that badass side.
Speaker 10: It has that like real person side too.
Speaker 2: Congrets on signing a deal, Thank you? When did you get that news? Was it a long work in progress where you kept hoping developing with that?
Speaker 10: I think my long work in progress has been like finding people on my team that I trust. So I've gone through some managers, I've gone through some people on my side, and so that was kind of a long time coming. I learning how to trust people in this business is really hard, cause what how can I trust any of you?
Speaker 2: Very transactional place, and everybody's your best friend until it's not easy to be.
Speaker 11: Your best friend, which that's business, and it.
Speaker 2: Is business, but you're right, it feels very it's very personal. It feels way more personal than it actually is, especially at first, because I felt I fell into those trappings at first too. I was like, oh, this person, this is my best friend. Yes, and then it turns out then you go.
Speaker 10: To all the other labels and they all have their same fiel. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm learning how to clock people quicker, which is helpful. But I think my experience with Universal Nashville all has to do with Hannah Wilson and Cindy Maybe there. Hannah Wilson, I've known her since I was still at school, and she just loved what I did and would come to my shows and come to my fest deada heat show you know that no one was there. And then when I met Cindy, maybe she just she just liked what I did. Like, she's like, I don't need you cutting outside songs. I like your voice. I need your voice. I think it's important. And when you're a songwriter that just speaks volumes. And then there's a woman there, Chelsea.
Speaker 11: Blythe who I love so much too.
Speaker 10: She's from La and she has just a whole different view on country music, which I think we're seeing is very important.
Speaker 3: When you sign a deal one what does that mean? Now?
Speaker 2: But were you nine six three months working toward this specific deal with these specific people. Were you wondering, I wonder if they're gonna sign me? Or was it like a random call, Hey Carterer, you want to do Yeah? I'm all, I mean, like, what is that?
Speaker 3: What is that process? What's the build?
Speaker 10: It's different for everybody, Like mine was like I met with a lot of labels and they all act interested, you know, and then you like keep and then you're like, dude, am I interested in them? It is like I felt like I was a bachelorette, you know, which is so weird. And because I'm not this TikTok viral girl, like I don't have these like crazy, They're not going to give me like five million dollars, you know. So I'm like, they have to care about my music and I have to feel that well.
Speaker 3: They need to long term invest in you.
Speaker 10: Yes, I'm trying to do this my whole life, this is my career. So I think I met with a lot of LA labels, I met with a lot of Nashville labels, and I basically at one point just told Universal, which is this is probably bad business on my half. But I was like, I'm only going to sign with you guys, so it's now and never like, let's go.
Speaker 11: And it was done in like a month.
Speaker 2: Were other labels making you different offers or was there?
Speaker 3: Wow, but that's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: It does mean all the offers are goodfair or yes, but that's cool.
Speaker 10: No, that is really freaking cool. Like I don't know, I'm just I'm just a girl, and you guys want to give me money to make music.
Speaker 11: That's pretty cool for you.
Speaker 3: Hesitant to sign at.
Speaker 10: All, yeah, just because I again, I don't like authority. This is very personal to me, all the things. I just it's scary to put your like my heart and soul in someone else's hands. That's what it truly feels like. But I also that's what I needed to level up. I thought about it a ton, and that's what I decided I needed to get to that next level.
Speaker 11: So I keep going.
Speaker 8: Cast up little food for yourself life.
Speaker 12: Oh it's pretty, but hey, it's pretty, beautiful thing beautiful. That's a little more said he you're kicking with fulling with Amy Brown.
Speaker 7: The other thing that I find I hear a lot from busy moms, some of my patients, some of my friends, is I want to clean, but I start to do a room. I start to clean a room, and then I get to do other things and then I forget that I was originally cleaning, you know, say my kitchen. So I start clean the kitchen and then I see Stevenson left a sock in the floor, So I'm gonna grab his sock and take it to his room, or take it to the laundry room. And then I get in the laundry room and oh shoot, I forgot to put the washer stuff in the dryer.
Speaker 9: So is that everybody's brain or just an ADHD brain?
Speaker 7: I see this across the board, Okay, busy people brain, because that's one.
Speaker 9: Hundred percent me. And on Instagram there's I guess that's my algorithm right now. And I see a lot of videos and they're always like, you know you have ADHD if you do this. But then I have had some friends say they act that way, and I know one hundred percent they don't have ADD or ADHD, and so I'm like, well, where.
Speaker 7: Does that fall?
Speaker 9: Like when I was married, this is the only other example of sharing like a life with someone who didn't have it. So that was my biggest indicator of how different our brains were was living with someone for seventeen years. And Ben was a very efficient effected person. If he started a task, he finished the task and his brain didn't think otherwise. Whereas like he wouldn't go out and start mowing the lawn and then halfway through mowing the lawn start picking a weed, but then realizing there's something in the flower bed and needs to grab that in the garage, and then he realized that the garage takes him back to the laundry room. That would be me and the lawn would never get mowed, but like he would go out and mow the yard and be done right. So yeah, I guess that was my apples and oranges like, so ADHD brain non ADHD brain. So all brains can do this thing you're talking about, like bouncing from room to room and task to task and then be like wait where was I and be like, oh, yeah, I was doing the dishes two hours ago.
Speaker 7: I was doing the dishes.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I think it honestly more than ADHD brain versus not. It's probably a little bit more female versus male brains. Female brains are always multitasking. We never just singularly do one thing really ever. I mean, think about it. You sit down to watch your friend's episode, You're gonna fold some laundry. You're not just gonna sit there, or you're gonna eat your dinner, or you're gonna do.
Speaker 9: Men fold laundry too, Claire.
Speaker 7: Yes, but they only fold laundry. They're not folding laundry and watching friends. They're just gonna fold the laundry. Oh, everybody in my house has to do their ow laundry starting at age thirteen. So we definitely love boys doing laundry around here. But they aren't doing other things. Like they may even do the folding in the laundry room. They're gonna go mow the lawn. They're only mowing the lawn because they're only thinking that one thing. I think women in general, we tend to multitask. So say we're cleaning the kitchen and we see that sock. We take to the laundry room. Realize, yesterday we put the you know, clothes in the washer and we need to switch them to the dryer. Now, okay, I'm gonna put everything in the dryer. Oh shoot, I'll just go start another load real quick. Let me run upstairs and get it out of this other kid's room and bring it down. Two hours later. Where were we, Oh, the kitchen. I've never got back there. So my trick for this is seemingly easy and physical. You're going to take a laundry basket. It needs to be something as big as a laundry basket, and you're going to set it at the entry to that room.
Speaker 9: And this is what you call the basket strategy.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'll call this a basket strategy. You're going to put that at the entry to that so you can't leave that room without stepping over that laundry basket, and launder baskets are big, so we're not stepping over that. It also is the receptacle for all the things that you find that need to leave that room. So the sock that you found that needs to go to the laundry. If you're cleaning a kid's room, all the dishes that they leave in there, whatever, all go in that laundry basket, and you stay in that room and clean it completely till it's done. So you have all your cleaning stuff, your vacuum, everything, whatever you need. Anything that leaves that room goes in the basket without you leaving the room yourself. And then when you're done and the room is clean, then you take your launder basket and you take everything in that in that basket to where it needs to go. Okay, so you've completed your thing and now.
Speaker 9: And you didn't let yourself leave the room and get distracted and then realize, oh, yeah, I was in my room cleaning or whatever. This makes you think of the one touch rule. Have you ever heard of that?
Speaker 7: Huh? Okay?
Speaker 9: So it's where you only let yourself touch something once, which I don't know if would work with this because you're touching the item, but I get it. Maybe you touch it and you put it in the basket, and then once it's in the basket, it has to return to its home. So this could fall under the one touch rule, but really it's that if you pick something up, like, go ahead and put it away where it needs to go. Like instead of taking a fork to the sink and laying it down in the sink, take the fork, rinse it in the sink, and put it in the dishwasher or whatever needs to be done. Okay, don't give it an extrap that's not necessary or that's gonna make you have to touch it and do it again later.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and you could apply that and just say it's the one touch rule in that room. So I'm only gonna touch it one time. I'm not gonna put it near the basket. I'm gonna put it in the basket and complete everything and then I'll deal with it after that. So yeah, maybe the one touch rule for within that the confines of that room, maybe.
Speaker 13: Okay, But I do like that.
Speaker 7: I feel like my kids could learn from that, Like we don't have to put things beside the sink. We could actually put them directly in the dishwasher. That would be amazing.
Speaker 9: Or you don't have to put something like at the bottom of the stairs, take it up to your room. Stuff just piles up, and I'm the one that takes it.
Speaker 7: It's like, am I understands the stairs situation?
Speaker 13: Not anyone.
Speaker 7: I'm like, if it's on the stairs, it clearly needs to go up or down depending on where it is. No one understands that but me, How is that possible?
Speaker 9: No, it's a weird thing.
Speaker 7: It is a weird thing. But I've even put things in the middle of the stairs. Right now, currently there is a sixteen year old child hoodie in the middle of the staircase, just waiting, just waiting. But she's walked over it two days worth. And I refuse amy, I refuse to take it upstairs.
Speaker 9: She'll get it eventually.
Speaker 7: Somebody's gonna happen to that hoodie.
Speaker 9: You need to do the anchor item thing with her.
Speaker 7: Maybe, or she's just as stubborn as her mama. That could be it too, So that's the basket strategy. I like the one touch rule too, especially if you are trying to encourage a kiddo. I think that's an easy thing to say, like, hey, just want to touch it. If you already have it in your hand, put it where it needs to be.
Speaker 1: We're gonna do it live we are the one, two, three Sore Losers.
Speaker 8: What up, everybody? I am lunchbox. I know the most about sports, so I'll give you the sports facts, my sports opinions, because I'm pretty much a sports genius, y'all.
Speaker 1: It's Sison. I'm from the North. I'm an alpha male. I live on the North side of Nashville with Bayser, my wife. We do have a farm. It's beautiful, a lot of acreage, no animals, a lot of crops. Hopefully soon corn pumpkins, rye. I believe maybe a little fescue to be determined. Over to you, coach.
Speaker 8: And here's a clip from this week's episode of The Sore Losers. No, I'm not telling the cleaning lady story again. But I walked out of the bathroom and you believe it, and I looked to my right and there's a guy and a girl walk in my direction, and I'm like, is that Leslie, the one that works in Austin?
Speaker 13: What huh?
Speaker 8: Am I in the rock?
Speaker 1: She's here for a meeting, the one that used to be in the sports sales. Yes, I didn't even know she was still at the company, That's.
Speaker 8: What I'm saying. And she's just walking down the hallway. I'm like, what it really took me a minute? Like, am I seeing the right person?
Speaker 1: Brunette hair?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Oh my gosh, is that not weird?
Speaker 1: Hold on, that's not the weird part. Oh I got a fight and awesome, Oh, please tell me more. I was an intern and I had a remote and she was the salesperson, so all this money was tied to this remote. I went to the address. It was in an abandoned field. So I came back to the radio station and dude, I was I was at that point, I was maybe twenty two years old, so I didn't give a crap about anything. I was just like, terrible address. Nice job with the address, didn't work. What's up? You'll have everybody doing what's up? Sales team, how you guys?
Speaker 3: What's up?
Speaker 1: And Sheesa, wait, why are you not.
Speaker 8: At my remote?
Speaker 1: I go, oh, it's in some empty field. You totally screwed up, didn't go. I was like, we just pulled up and it was nothing there, so we left. She's like, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, it was the wrong address. Well you can still get out there. I didn't know, and I was like, no, no, no, you did the wrong address, schedule another event like me and her head to head, and then promotions goes, hey, if there it was definitely their fault with the address. She definitely gave you the wrong gas station address. But next time, just you kind of like you need to communicate with them. We don't really we don't really yell at them. She's like, we're promotions. We we kind of work for them.
Speaker 8: Ish you kind of just drive the van and hand out prizes. So what a remote is like, Hey, we're gonna be here from twelve to two, come out and see us at the Walmart and you set up the van. So that's what Ray is talking about, uh, when you're talking about that. So you show up and like when I was in Nashville, I did one and it was at a furniture store from five to seven pm.
Speaker 1: Come get your couches, get your love seats, and also get your automans.
Speaker 3: What's up.
Speaker 1: It's lunchbox and I'm out here today.
Speaker 8: On a Thursday night, five to seven pm. So I'm fighting five o'clock traffic trying to get there, and I roll up at four fifty eight and the store's not even open yet.
Speaker 1: Remote Horror Stories.
Speaker 8: And I'm like, I call the sales later. I'm like, yeah, so I'm here, and they like, there's not even furniture in the store, Like they have the sign up, but there's no furniture. It looks like they're still building the store.
Speaker 1: I think that liquidation sale went better than expected. The store is empty now.
Speaker 8: And so she calls, you know, she goes, let me call you back. I'll find out what's going on. And then the promotion truck pulls up and we're just sitting there and she calls back. She goes, oh, yeah, yeah, they just told me that it's not ready yet, that they need to postpone it. Like, you don't think you should tell us that before we're on site.
Speaker 1: Dude, I've got some bad ones, remember you and me? Wasn't that it was a bad We worked in an asphalt factory for two hours in the heat of Texas.
Speaker 8: Mother's window tint San Marcus, Texas. That's where it was at.
Speaker 1: That was one of the first places be miserable on a June July day.
Speaker 8: Dude, I used to stand in the freaking parking lots of cricket wireless all the time in the middle of the summer, noon to two on a Saturday, and you want to talk about just melting in the freaking heat. Oh awful, dude.
Speaker 1: I had to go sit outside of a Taco bell and there wasn't There was no place to set up the remote. Guys, listen, I'm a remote expert. I used to do this for years, so I knew how to park the vehicle. I knew how to set the speakers. You know, you got the boombox, you got the radio station, plane, you meet the manager.
Speaker 8: How's it going? Man?
Speaker 1: You kiss a couple babies. Not really your promotions. All you're there to do is set stuff up. There was no space for the van, so I'm parked in this Wendy's fast food restaurant.
Speaker 3: Dude.
Speaker 1: Cars are honky as they're trying to go through drive through. I'm like sorry setting up for the remote, Like, hey, buddy, get the absolute got of the way. Hey man, do I need to get my fries? Man, get the out of my way, dude. I was just trying to do a happy remote where I give people some stuff, and there was nowhere to park in a college ut area.
Speaker 8: I loved like when I when I worked promote, So I worked promotions this summer after my freshman year of college, KSE one on one KVET located on Lamar and we were the Zone. Their slogan at that point thirteen hundred Zone. I thought it was the coolest slogan I'd ever heard in my life.
Speaker 1: AM thirteen hundred the Zone.
Speaker 8: Get No, that wasn't it. It was AM thirteen hundred the Cure for jockage. And they had shirts and I'd go in the promotions closet and steal I took so many shirts and I'd that was so awesome, Like, how creative for a sports station to be the cure for jack jockitch?
Speaker 1: Hilarious, That's pretty good. I thought for a second. Wasn't sore Loser's gonna be tell something to do a jock? I don't know, because you may have not even known, but gotten that idea from the original sports station that you were a fan of.
Speaker 8: And I did. My first remote I worked was at Golden Corral. They had all you can eat special on Wednesday nights. It was me. I was the one that drove the van, had the prizes and the jock, the DJ, whatever you want to call them, Bama Brown and I will never forget I still have that. We're sitting there out there and some guys going around selling bags in the parking lot, and I'm like, man, that's a nice bag. It's like a Duffel bag. I bought a Duffel bag off the guy and I still have it to this day. Are homeless, no, no, right, I mean it's one of those scammy ones like, oh, I'm raising money for my and I was like, man, that's a really nice bag. I bought it for twenty five dollars.
Speaker 1: Dude, do it. Remotes are the best thing. I don't know if they even still do them as much as they used to. They do. They're the best thing out there, especially if you're a kid right out of college. They're so easy. You meet tons of people. We would go sit out it. There was one of those events with the country station would set outside of some it was a concert venue right off of Congress. Oh, Billy Bob's, let's just say it's that, okay, Billy Bob's. I would sit out there and I was a part of the Bobby Bone Show, and so I mean there's just like chicks rolling through. Hey are you that Ray intern guy from Bobby BUNCHO. Yeah, yeah, dude, I'm getting girls' numbers. Hey, do you want some free tickets? I got tickets there. You have free stuff to give them, So you're basically buying their phone number, and they have to talk to you because you're standing right there as they're trying to get into the venue. If you're a dude out there and you're single, remotes are the way to go.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, I don't know. We got to start the show because our special guests just got in here. I can tell you more remotes, like the one time I went to a car dealership in Colleen.
Speaker 1: How's it going? Lunchbox is automotive? How can I get your oil change?
Speaker 8: And I drove an hour and a half to get to Kaleen, get to the stupid car dealership, and we That was back when they had what they called a Marty inside the van and you had to put you had to raise up this pole to get the antenna up there so they could get the signal.
Speaker 1: You used to be a tech guy. Good god, we're learning everything about your radio.
Speaker 8: No no, no culture right.
Speaker 1: That wasn't always the Golden Voice culture.
Speaker 8: This was when I was on air, so I rode with whoever the promotions was in the van all the way to Colleen and we put the Marty up and get it. It was so far out there it didn't even get the radio station. Like, you couldn't get the radio. The signal didn't reach there, and we're having a remote and you can't even play the music. And so of course, not one single person stopped by the car dealership to say hello because our radio station didn't even reach that location.
Speaker 1: Dude, you just remember reminded me of my favorite mode ever. I think one time I had one at Bikini's Bar. Oh, dude, U to the chicks were in bikinis. Yes, hello, I wasn't sissor Ray Mundo that I was intern Ray intern Ray, I'm twenty two A nice to meet you. I represent the radio station. Oh hey, how's it going?
Speaker 3: Dude?
Speaker 1: All these managers are in their bikinis. Uh is this the radio industry? And why are y'all not war? Did he clothes?
Speaker 3: Dude?
Speaker 1: I was sold, I was in radio. I was baptized.
Speaker 8: Hey, bikinis, bar and grill. They had remotes all the time. Dude, right there off thirty five?
Speaker 1: Oh id are you a college girl just in your bathing suit?
Speaker 3: Here on soho.
Speaker 8: Oh no, no, no, I'm a manager.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it's in a whale tail.
Speaker 8: Hey when in high school when they said what'd you want to be? When Jiro? Did you put a manager in a brushtrock? Because this is awesome?
Speaker 13: Hello, Hello, Hey, It's mikey d.
Speaker 14: And this week on Movie Mike's Movie Podcast, I broke down a list of the top ten final girls in horror movies. Not anything creepy, it's actually very empowering to women in film. I'll explain exactly what a final girl is. So, if like me, you are a fan of the horror genre looking for maybe some hidden gems you haven't seen to watch around Halloween time, I got you check out this clip. But be sure to check out the full episode of Movie Mike's Movie Podcast.
Speaker 13: But right now, here's just a little bit of the episode.
Speaker 14: If you're a fan of horror like I am, you already know what the final girl is in a movie, but if you're not too familiar with it, the final girl is the woman at the very end who survives with the killer. She kills him or her in some way. Sometimes the killer is male, sometimes the killer is female. The final girl is usually portrayed as somebody who is resourceful, resilient, morally, uptight, smarter than Oliver. Her appears in this movie because she knows how to survive. Whenever I think about the Final Girl, it takes me back to the first Screen movie in nineteen ninety six, which, obviously some characters from Scream are going to make this list, But whenever Jamie Kennedy's character is giving the rules of surviving a horror movie, this is exactly what I think about.
Speaker 15: There are certain rules that one must abide by in order to successfully survive a horror movie. For instance, number one, you can never have sex sex even seth okay. Number two you can never drink or do drug sin. It's an extension of number one and number three never ever, ever, under any circumstances, say I'll be right back because you won't be back.
Speaker 3: I'm getting another beer. You want one, Yeah, sure, I'll be right back.
Speaker 14: So the final Girl in any horror movie, I feel like those rules kind of laid out the blueprint. Even though that movie came out in nineteen ninety six and there have been Final Girls way before that movie came out. I always reference back to that clip to think of what do you need to do in order to survive a serial killer in a horror movie. So let's get into this list at number two, getting to the heavy hitters. Now you have Sidney Prescott from Scream played by Nev Campbell. Came out back in nineteen ninety six again and it is available on Max, which we mentioned earlier. Sidney Prescott is the best modern version of a final Girl. In my opinion, I do think the Scream movies kind of lost their way even when Wes Craven continued to direct them. Scream four became the first one that he didn't direct because he passed away, but that one came out in twenty eleven and he died in twenty fifteen. But the formula did become a little stale. That was until, in my opinion, Jenna Ortega and Melissa Barrera were.
Speaker 13: Introduced into the cast.
Speaker 14: Those movies rebooted the franchise and also got super meta with referencing the Scream movies and redoing things from that one and including them here. So wasn't really a remake, wasn't really a reboot. It was kind of just taking all the la elements of Scream and using gen Z actors to make you feel that same way when you watch the first screen movies. So I hate now that the fate of these movies is really in the balance, that Jener Ortega and Melissa Barrera are no longer going to be.
Speaker 3: Attached to them.
Speaker 14: I hate the way they exited these films, but it looks like some of the original casts will still be a part of them. I just don't really think there's much left there to really make these movies interesting, and they lost what was making them work, what was making the younger audience go to the theater to watch these movies. Now you're just gonna be trying to make these movies to people of my generation millennials, to go and be nostalgia bay. But that really doesn't work with horror franchises anymore.
Speaker 13: You gotta keep it new, you.
Speaker 14: Gotta keep it fresh, You got to keep those actors at the forefront.
Speaker 13: And nev Campbell would have been the.
Speaker 14: Best to do it as far as being the it Final Girl if it wasn't for Number one, the og the original Final Girl, the best Final Girl of all time according to the list, and according to me, it is Lori Strode from Halloween played by Jamie Lee Curtis, came out in nineteen seventy eight.
Speaker 13: It is available to.
Speaker 14: Watch on Crackle of all services, Netflix, Hulu, Disney Plus.
Speaker 13: Even you can watch Halloween on Crackle.
Speaker 14: I feel like I've watched maybe two things on Crackle in my life.
Speaker 13: Actually I take that back.
Speaker 14: I think it was only one movie, Joe Dirt I Beautiful Loser, the sequel that nobody asked for, but it was available as a Crackle original, So you can go watch Joe Dirt two and you can go watch Halloween again much like two b.
Speaker 13: Crackle is also.
Speaker 14: The dollar bin, but maybe not even at Walmart, probably a like family dollar dollar tree.
Speaker 13: I would never find anything good in those bins.
Speaker 14: It'd always be like really weird movies or like movie three packs of black and white horror movies that were made back in the forties. And the reason I agree with this list why Louri Strode is the best Final Girl is that final scene where she is making it her main object to save the kids but also save herself make sure they're out of harm's way, and has the most iconic scene in any horror movie. It is the blueprint of how to make a great final act, Laurie Strode in the closet with Michael Myers breaking down the door is a scene that altered my brain's chemistry.
Speaker 13: If there's one scene in.
Speaker 14: Horror that I wish I could go back and rewatch for the first time, have my memory erased, just so I could experience it again, it would be this scene. Jamie Lee Curtis did a fantastic job as she was being introduced into the world. Halloween two takes place right after the events of Halloween one, and growing up, I would always just watch those back to back every Halloween, and two isn't as iconic as one, but if you watch them all together, it makes for a great movie night. The entire journey that Lori Strode goes through all of the movies doesn't really make sense. They kind of change her care character from movie to movie, create this backstory of her and Michael being related.
Speaker 1: Are they related?
Speaker 14: Are they not? I enjoyed it as they moved into Halloween h twoel even though I think people hate that movie, that is one of my.
Speaker 13: Favorite Halloween movies. And then they.
Speaker 14: Reintroduced her again in the twenty eighteen version, which I thought was fantastic, but I hate how that run ended.
Speaker 13: Twenty eighteen was a great reboot.
Speaker 14: Halloween Kills in twenty twenty one was pretty mid and I completely hated Halloween Ens. But I can look past all that to go back to the original. Lori strode at number one as the best final girl in all of horror.
Speaker 3: Carrylon. She's a queen of talking. It was a son, She's getting really not afraid to things. Episode Soul just let flow. No one can do with Carlne.
Speaker 16: Okay, So as the story goes, you Okay, so you met me actually ironically at like the darkest time in my life.
Speaker 9: Why is that?
Speaker 16: I was coming out of a divorce.
Speaker 4: Okay, and we had talked about a podcast that you just put out.
Speaker 16: Yeah, one more minute.
Speaker 4: Is that all the same time period?
Speaker 16: Yeah, that's all the same period.
Speaker 4: Will you go into it in your own way?
Speaker 16: I can weave it, weave it. Yeah, So you met me. I take this big job with Big Machine, and they're like, listen, you're going to travel a ton. You'll probably never be home. Hindsight, if you're so comfortable being away from your husband that much and more leaning towards the excited part of your Mary, Yeah, like that might be a sign. So if you're in a relationship and you're hearing this and you're excited to not be with your husband, that is a red flag. Anyways, So I take the job.
Speaker 4: So having subspace for your husband, it's great.
Speaker 7: It's great.
Speaker 16: Missing him is the fun part. Yeah, that's where you're like, that's a great flag, right, Yeah, I wasn't miss You're like, do stoked?
Speaker 9: Yeah, to be pretty stoked out of his breathing room.
Speaker 16: Yeah, fine, person, just not my person, you know. Anyway, So I take the job and I meet you, and life is great because I have you and I'm traveling a ton. And then I just would realize every time I was home there was this really sad, deep sadness that I had because I was like alone with myself.
Speaker 4: What happened when you're alone with yourself?
Speaker 16: Nothing good? And it was great. The job was so great at keeping me so busy. You know, Record labels in Nashville are relentless. They make sure that you don't even really have time to eat or.
Speaker 4: Drink, party atmosphere all over the place.
Speaker 16: You're just living your You're just gone, and in those spare minutes that you're sitting, you are already behind in your email, so like there's no time to really think about your personal life. So I do think looking back, probably, yeah, looking back, I think God like really moved a lot of pieces and was like this is where we'll be to keep us moving. But then there would be these really long Texas drives. Texas will get you in Texas, man, Texas does it the tears in Texas Hotly Mackerel.
Speaker 4: She's a heartbreak song, she She's a healing Texas is beautiful.
Speaker 14: I love Texas.
Speaker 16: Texas might be the only state big enough to hold all the emotions I had at the time, to be honest. So yeah, it just was really low. I remember just getting to the freeze. So there's a freeze in Nashville for anybody that's not the music business, Like right around like December ish, everyone freezes and and so your job becomes less and then you're alone with yourself more with less to do.
Speaker 4: It is holiday season.
Speaker 9: Holidays can be sad, really sad if you're leaning through a heartbreak.
Speaker 16: And I was really going in through a heartbreak.
Speaker 4: So every the noise shut down, it was holiday season, it was cold, and you were alone with your sadness.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I lived in Kansas City at the time and worked remotely for the label. Because I was just traveling in about Kansas City was part of my territory. It made sense. And yeah, I was alone, I remember, so I just put out this podcast I had this. I got very very low and to the point where I did want to take my own life. And I remember I was in a tool skirt and I was in like holiday cute, a really great outfit for what it's worth, very fashionable. Well, I just love that part of life, like styling's fun to me. And I remember just being in this really cute outfit. I remember taking forever to get ready, like I just remember feeling like I was moving through like drying cement, and everything felt like I lifted a thousand pounds and I just it was so heavy, and I was at an all time low weight, which is also ironic. So it just felt like everything was very hard, just like impossibly hard. Getting ready for that party felt hard. It felt dark. I felt like I didn't want to go, and I just remember thinking like no one is coming for me. It's really sad. That actually makes me emotional hard times, So what do you do? I don't it just was. I remember thinking of ways that I just wanted out. I felt shameful that a marriage was ending. I hated that we will get to the bag of rules because I remember where we're headed. I promise I just take the back rows. I never take the expressway in stories, so what's wrong with me?
Speaker 4: They do?
Speaker 16: So yeah, I just I just I just felt really deeply lonely and shameful. And I hated. No one gets married, I think to get divorced, you know. And it felt like even he didn't want to tuck it in in a like really beautiful Nicholas Sparks way that I had envisioned, where we would go to this like mutual loving dinner and you know, have a glass of wine and look into each other's eyes and think each other for the experience. Like they never got that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's very mature. Does anyone get that?
Speaker 16: I don't know. I mean I hope so they do. And nobody wants this.
Speaker 4: Well, that's the most advanced evalved couple that's ever walked the face of the earth. And they're actually a TV couple and why.
Speaker 16: Yeah, and they're inspiring others to do the same.
Speaker 4: It's great, honestly, it's so good to see the romance.
Speaker 16: Well, I would love that, but I didn't get that. And in fact, I got a text saying he wanted a divorce, so he wanted it not you. Well, we had split and I kind of thought, maybe we'll just get like minutes and we'll come back together. That's my deep actually thought. I thought that would happen. And no, I got a text message. It's like the Carry Bradshaw equivalent game broken up with them and post it, you know, And it just was dark and it sucked and I hated it, and I remember just thinking, I just want out of this. There's nothing like what am I working for?
Speaker 4: You know, you probably can't see any future at that point.
Speaker 16: No, my parents weren't coming. No what I just you know, everyone's busy in their own lives. That's the weird part about that job, too, is you pop into lives that are always going. You're just a character in a story that pops in and out. And it was such a surreal experience to just like always be popping into like people's kids volleyball games, and you know they're having family dinner and taco Tuesday and you're and I didn't have any of that. What a wild season, you know. Anyways, So I scraped myself in a toolskirt off the floor, and I remember I was on the I just laid on the floor in the middle of my pretty room, my pretty toolskirs helpless, and I just thought, I just don't want to do this anymore. And I kept thinking, no one would even suspect this feeling because I was so good.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 16: If my child had taught me nothing else, it was that you just go with the narrative, right, So the narrative was make it look shiny, make it look good, sweep it under the rug, and keep going. But no one would have known how dark it was.
Speaker 2: I think, Hey, thanks for listening to this week's Sunday Sampler. New episode out weekly. Maybe you heard something here you want to go check out If you don't mind subscribe, that will be awesome.
Speaker 8: Have a great week, everybody,