Speaker 1: I Am all In again.
Speaker 2: Oh, let's just do.
Speaker 3: I Smell pop Culture with Easton Allen and I Heart Radio podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey everybody, Easton Allen, I Am all In Podcasts one of eleven productions iHeart Radio, iHeart Media, I Heart Podcasts. This is I Smell pop Culture? Do you smell pop culture? Do they smell pop culture? I Smell pop Culture. This is gonna be a lot of fun. Here's what we do on the show. If you're just joining us for the first time. We love Gilmore Girls. We love the pop culture references in Gilmore Girls. They tie the show into a greater world and that is part of why we love it. But sometimes you gotta go a little deeper. So here's what we're doing. We're picking out some of our favorite pop culture references from the entire of Gilmore Girls, and we're going to explore them on a granular level that you can only do with a podcast. We're going to talk to the people that made these pop culture references into a piece of pop culture. We're going to talk to the stars, the writers, the producers, the singers, We're talking to them all baby, And this week we're doing something really really exciting. This is This is something that you may or may not be familiar with, a little show called cop Rock. I know what you're thinking, what's cop Rock? What is that? Imagine if you watched Law and Order, but then they started sinking Broadway level, Broadway level songs, Broadway level productions, television drama at the highest level. This is truly a big swing. And if there's something I love, it's a big swing. I love big risks. I love when people try a crazy idea, and that is what they did with cop Rock. This show premiered on ABC in nineteen ninety. It ran for eleven episodes. It was canceled, It was abruptly canceled. It was not met with with good reviews. This show was truly bizarre, but an incredible show nonetheless. And here is why it connects to Gilmore Girls. We're going to season five, episode thirteen, Wedding Bell Blues. This is the cold open before the theme song plays. Laura is at Luke's. They're talking about his boat. You know, he's trying to buy stuff for his boat, and he's getting really frustrated because he's talking to the guy from the catalog and everything's on back order, so he's really frustrated, as Luke tends to be, and he tells Laurai he's going to come by later to work on the boat with what he has. You know, he's waiting for a bunch of stuff to come in, but he's going to come by and work on the boat. And she says, yeah, that's fine' Rory spending the night. We're having a cop Rock marathon. And then they talk about some other stuff, and then before Lorela leaves the coffee shop, Luke says, hold on, did you say cop Rock marathon? And Lurlai says, yeah, I got them all on tape, trying to figure out you seeing me? So Laura La big cop Rock fan. She has all eleven episodes on tape. You can get all eleven episodes of cop Rock on a DVD from Shout Factory. This show has a cult following now. People love it. I love it. I watched a lot of cop Rock prepping for this. I admittedly I did not know what it was until you know, I was doing research for this show. I love Coprock. I am a huge cop Rock fan. Now I hope you are too. We're going to talk to one of the stars of cop Rock Peter on Aroti. He played Detective Vincent LaRusso, who's kind of the de facto main character of Cop Rock. He his storyline is kind of like a main thread throughout the eleven episodes. And if you see him, google Peter on Arotti if you can't place his face. He has been in everything. He has been in Swat, he was in This Is Us, He's in Good Fellas for Crying Out Lad. This guy is so cool and he's done so many incredible things in Hollywood, and I'm so interested in his perspective about what it was like to make something like Cop Rock. What was it like to go into this like dramatic police procedural, but then also have to learn singing and dancing in certain cases? And how do they make this show? How is this? Randy Newman wrote all the songs for the pilot. Randy Newman's in the theme song. They had incredible people working on this show. I can't wait to hear about it all. We're going to talk to Peter Onati here in just a second, and I hope you stick around because it's real. It's a lot of fun here on I smell pop culture. We're having a blast let's do it. Hey, everybody, it's I Smell pop Culture on the Iamlin podcast. We're so excited about this. We're talking to one of the stars of cop Rock. Peter Onoati is with us. Thank you so much for doing this. Peter, it's so nice to meet you.
Speaker 2: Thanks for asking.
Speaker 1: So okay, let's just get right into it. Let's let's talk cop Rock here. It's it's such a wild idea, and that's why I love it. It's such a big swing. It was such a like nothing really like it had been done before. How did you get involved?
Speaker 2: Well, I had just moved out here. My wife was pregnant and had our first son while we were here in eighty eight, and I had just come off of my first real TV job was Katenally back in New York at the Etsullivan Theater, the last season of Katenally. And I only been to business a couple of years. I don't know if you know my background, but I have an MBA. I was an advertising park avenue you know, for four years before that, and the whole other twelve years in the business world. Anyway, I get out here and my then agent, Kay Lieberman and now manager because she took over. A managing company called me and said, you sing right, I go no, no, I'm you know. She goes yes, you do you sing? I said, well, I sang at a couple of my friend's weddings from college and you know, a couple of family friends. I said, but no, I'm not a singer. You know. She goes no, you sing? I said, Okay, I sing, you know. And so I get this audition for cop Rock. And the funny thing was my wife grew up in Santa Barbara. She's good friends with a guy who was probably I think he still is or was the longest running phantom on Broadway, Howard mcgillan is his name. Incredible voice, incredible musical actor. And Howard came out from New York and had had an audition from this before I ever even heard of it, so I, you know, didn't pay any attention to it, you know. And I went off to do a movie with Nick Cage and Tommy Lee Jones and Sean Young called Firebirds. When it came back from that, I got this audition for cop Rock. And so the scene was actually the scene in the pilot where I testify in court. And it was a great of course it's Botchko. So it was the great writing, you know. And after I did that, you know, they called me back again and had me read it again, and then they said, okay, you you know, we need you to sing, and I went okay, I said, you know, I had only done one actually singing audition in New York. This was before I was in the business. While I was still at McCall's magazines. My wife got me a singing audition at the Public Theater for something called Lenny and the Heartbreakers. And it was so embarrassing, that's a but. So I didn't know what to do. So I picked Uh. I picked a really simple song that I knew, an old song blue Monday from from uh a Fats Domino.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes.
Speaker 2: So I get in there and the accompany is playing He's going d D bom bomp, and Mike Post, who was ahead of music, goes, no, no, man, man, this is Fats Domino. You can't play it like that. And I said, Mike, give him a break. Hunt it says Antoine Domino on the sheet music. How's he gonna know? You know? So I get up there and I'm going blue Monday, How I hate bloom Monday, you know, and and I do my thing right. So I'm like, Okay, this is uh never gonna happen, you know. But it was great fun to do. And so I get another call back to do it again, and Randy Newman was there because Randy Newman did the music in the pilot.
Speaker 1: Wow, and he's in the theme.
Speaker 2: Oh no, Randy music. Yeah, the pilot music is quite incredible, especially the last moment the pilot, which I think is one of the best moments in TV history. We could talk about that later too. So I did it and I ended up getting the role of Vincent LaRusso, which was not a regular role at the time. So we filmed the pilot. I don't sing in the pilot, and the story was and Steven Boschko told me this visit LaRusso was supposed to be in for only four episodes and then sing a love song to his gun and blow his head off. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Wo.
Speaker 2: So Mike, Well, and as an actor coming out from New York and I want to do features, I'm going, Wow, this is the way to go out of television if you want to do features, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So we did the pilot and all of a sudden ABC called botch go and says, we can't lose this character. You have to figure out something. Sign them up. We're gon We're gonna keep this character. So I ended up being a regular, And it ended up that the thirteen or twelve episodes that we shot were mostly around my crime of killing a cop killer and my courtroom drama and coming back to the forest and all that stuff. I shipp back up at one point and say that during the audition process they called me back and said and wanted me to read for the captain, which Larry Joshua got. Larry Joshua accomplished musician he had who was in a rock band. He has a great voice, that great gravelly voice that he is, And so I went great, because this is a regular role, right, didn't get it, didn't didn't do it. And then they, like I said, they gave me the russo and that all worked out and then it was it was funny because I was the last one of the original ensemble to sing. I didn't sing till the fourth episode. Wow, two more songs, Yeah, two more songs and the rest of it, and it was it was hard. The first one where I sing, I started in a holding cell outside the court.
Speaker 1: Can't keep a good man down.
Speaker 2: Yes, and it goes into you know, the prison. Yeah, well those were real prisoners. Yes, I'm going buy these guys singing and if you look, you can read the guy's lips. He's going you homie, And I'm like, holy shit, I gotta maintain. Plus I'm worried about my singing and i gotta be singing in front of these guys, right, So but it all worked out. It was it Actually, I don't really like my voice that much, but the song, the the theatrical nature of the song really worked well for the piece, uh, you know, and so that that was kind of cool.
Speaker 1: And but I love that sequence. That's crazy. It was a real prisoner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were real prisoners, man. And here's what's funny because there's also a scene in the prison where this guy approaches me. I'm a cop and a regular, you know, regular area of the prison, and this Latino guy approaches me, you know, and challenges me and you know, a boom, I flip him around, I choke him, I put him down, you know, or in a shower, and I'm like, to these guys, okay, anybody else you know, Yeah, well, this guy was tatted up, and I mean he looked like a gangster. Right. Well, he was an actor, but he was a good actor, but he looked really looked the part. And he had a job downtown LA in a play. So he left before we finished the scene because he had to get done, and you know, and so they shot one, just one thing on my side, and then I get off and I get out of the shower and I go in and I put my clothes on the I'm driving out the prison. And they got him bent over the car, his own car. They got him bent over, and they're frisking them because he was so late for his call time that he went in his prison guard. He drove his own car, right, and he looks at me and he goes, Peter, tell him, who I am. I I never seen a guy before. Come on, come on, I said, no, no, come on, guys, I said, you think a guy would drive out in his prison outfit? And he said and his prison guards go, oh yeah, they would, you know. But oh, I scared the ship out of him, I know. But like guy, I could I could not take advantage of that, right, And he I think he barely made it on time, all because because the prison was like out in near Santa Clarita and he had to go all the way to downtown. Lad is half hour call. So that was kind of funny. But that was sort of the you know, the craziness surrounding that first number, you know. And and then the other one was when I'm about to go to jail and it's my birthday and they gave it this jazzy bluesy number where the stripper comes and she's dressed like a cop, and man, I tell you, I honestly God. Now it's thirty what thirty two years later, and I have done a lot of work. I've had a couple of my own series. I just came off big splashy series and swat and everything as a regular. I don't think I've ever had a more wonderful creative challenge than that show. You know.
Speaker 1: I love it. Yeah, that's exactly what I wanted to hear because it's such an It's such a cool idea, I think, And I just love how like when your face was something like that, how how you saw it as a cool creative challenge. I love that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well listen, everybody, everybody, if you look at that original cast. Everybody went on to be a regular in another showy quality cast and without the music. The drama was was NYPD caliber. It was absolutely NYPD and Hill Street Blues caliber drama. And you know what, it went well in the urban areas, but in a suburbs van and in a flyovers they just didn't I remember. So they have this event called the upfronts, right every year when the new shows get picked up. They like, swat we did it at Carnegie Hall. They bring the whole cast out and introduce the stars to all the potential advertisers right and to your affiliates and everybody else. It's a big deal. It's a lot of fun. Well, the one out in LA, because I wasn't a regular. I didn't go to the one in New York. But I went to the one in LA because they had made me a regular in the meantime, and I was sitting at a table with the affiliates of Sioux City, Iowa. Okay, Now these are the affiliates. These are the guys that want you want to love your program because my show Pop Rock is at ten o'clock show and that leads into their news. They don't want to lose any audience. Right, oh yeah, Well the four Tops sang and that was the same year the Twin Peaks came out on ABC, So it was Twin Peaks, it was cop Rock, it was you know. So we're at these upfronts for Top Singing, and they showed the last scene of the pilot episode of cop Rock, which is Kathleen Wolhoyd singing a Randy Newman lullaby to her baby and selling it for two hundred dollars drug money into adoption. I'm telling you, you look at this thing. You look at it, look at it on YouTube. I don't think there's a better moment in television. I really don't that moment. Know, there was a bunch of Coprock moments that didn't work, but that moment, and you could have heard. You could hear it. You could have a pin drop, right yeah. Well, this guy from SIUs City, Iowa leans over the table and he goes, oh hell, she wouldn't sing when she sells her baby. And I went, okay, we're screwed.
Speaker 1: Oh man, this guy, don get it.
Speaker 2: We're screwed, you know. Uh yeah, And so we went into it was you know, and and you know, who was responsible for giving Stephen the green light on on cop Rock.
Speaker 1: That Bob Iger, Bob Iger, current CEO Disney, in fact.
Speaker 2: That Steven's memorial. Bob came up to me that they had closed off part of the Fox area where Steven's building was, and Bob Iyger comes up to me, he goes, Peter, Bob Byger. I go, yeah, I know, he goes, I was just talking to somebody about Coprock. The other girl, I said, I thought picked somebody about cop Rock all the time, you know. I said, thanks for the you know, for the opportunity man, you know, and and we laughed about it, and you know, and that was it. But that was his twin Peaks, cop Rock, all that stuff was him when he was head of ABC, you know. And uh and so even he remembers it. It's probably his biggest failure too. But uh but it was uh uh yeah, and and I you know, oh god, there was it was. And here's a very interesting thing too, or at least I find it interesting now because I've been into business for a while and I had never really I I had never really done summer stock, you know, where people know each other for the whole summer and they do all different roles and they're hanging together. I never did anything like that. I went from the world into acting and and started to work, you know, so I never did all that other stuff. In other words, I did I had no binding history with the people I was working with. I didn't know how to socialize in that atmosphere. But the amazing thing about cop Rock was that people showed up on their days off to watch somebody else sing, or somebody else's number or big scene. That's most we were. And that's when I say now that I've never seen that in any other cast, whether it was my own show or somebody else's show, I've never seen that happen, you know. And here's here's the phenomenal thing about Copyright that no one knows. Every one of those songs was recorded live. Not one of them was looped or anything else.
Speaker 1: Okay, I read I wanted to ask you if that was real, because I read that I could not believe that it that that was I'm like, you'd sing it live, like that's crazy.
Speaker 2: We're staying it live. The camera The camera was on a dolly, you know, doing its thing. There was a playback of the background music and you were miked and you sang, you know, I was miked underneath that prison, guarb I was miked. The camera dolly was on, and on the dolly was a little speaker with you know, with the background music for I Can't Keep a Good Man Down, the same thing for the for to Live and Die a Cop and the last one, which I forget, I forget the name of that one, but no, it was all live, and there was a big recording truck outside the soundstage, and if you had to do it over, you'd do it over. In fact, a friend of mine, Stephen DePaul, became a very prominent director in television, has written a couple of books. Now. He was one of Bruce Springsteen's roadies Wow. But he was also friends with Billy Finkelstein. They had gone to college together or knew each other, and so Billy hired him as a producer on cop Rock because he knew that end of things. And Steven came into me one time. I forget which song it was, I'm pretty sure it was to Live in Die cop and he said, not one of those takes is different. I went, yeah, I'm sorry man, He goes, no, no, no, that's good, you know, I said, oh okay, I said, because in acting you want to do a little if the director wants you to do, you want to get a little difference. And he sad you. I goh shit, I'm sorry, and he goes, no, no, no, I can blend anything. I take a piece of anything, because they're all the same, you know. I didn't know that was a good thing, you know. And yeah, and oh man, it was. I can't think of a bad moment except when Steven came in and said we were canceled. You know, I really think although I and I remember saying to Steven and to Greg Hoblett, hey, why don't we this is my MBA in marketing, right, And that's exactly what they called me onto. I said, why don't we do this? Why don't we film one of the songs from the upcoming episode? But let's put I was friends with Paula Abdul at the time. All right, let's get one of these Let's get Paul Abdul to do a song one week, Let's film that song ahead of time, let's release it on MTV and say this is what's coming up on cop Rock. And they're like, shut up with your NBA marketing bush. I'm like, no, man, I said, come on, you know, let's you know, And I'm telling you I think that would have saved the show. Yes, you get Paul Abdul, you get who the hell else was around that? Do you know that you can? You can find this on YouTube. There are two numbers that Cheryl crow sings background in what Yeah. Cheryl Crowe is on cop Rock.
Speaker 1: The talent in this show is just I cannot believe it. Like every time I read another like person that worked on it yeah or was involved, it's yeah.
Speaker 2: And I'm still good friends. By the way, we had two Academy Award winners on the music writing staff. We had a guy I'm still friends with. He was just supposed to come out last week with the fires. He stayed. He's down in New Orleans now. But Donnie Markowitz wrote Time of My Life for Dirty Dancing Oh My God. And Amanda McBroom was on the writing staff. She wrote the rose oh my God, both Academy Award winners. Those songs both won the Academy Award. And then there was a whole bunch of other writers that were great too. And the other cool thing was that there was a lot of session singers in town here that never got their faces on camera, you know, and all of a sudden, you know, here they are like singing in the background, popping up. Carl Anderson, Carl Anderson, rest in peace. Carl was the judge in the pilot episode where they sing that Randy Newton that silly song. He's guilty, Judge, He's guilty. R Carl is the judge. Carl played Judas in the movie Jesus Christ Superstar.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, wow, Yeah, Carl.
Speaker 2: Carl Anderson is it was a major voice, you know, and he did one or two more episodes. But yeah, And then there was guy Lewis Price, I think was his name. He was touring with the Temptations at the time. Uh, but there was and and these these musicians out here were like, wow, wow, what a great thing to do. You know. Everybody was psyched just to you know, come and play.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's uh, it's so crazy. I have so many more questions for you. We're gonna take a really quick break here on I smell pop culture. Stick around, everybody, this is I smell pop culture. Peter Onoati with us, Uh, the star of Cop rock. I I'm so curious.
Speaker 2: Like watching one of the stars of Hey.
Speaker 1: As far as i'm you're the main character of that show. If you ask me, it's this is a Vince Lariso's story. Uh. When I watch your performance, I'm so curious. Like preparing for a role, a typical role, you know, you read your lines, you you think about what the the you know, what's the character experiencing this has the added challenge of learning. You gotta learn songs and dancing. What was the preparation like before you film? Like, like, how would you get this? You get a copy of the song to learn? How did that work?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you gotta you got a cassette tape with the music and the words done by one of the writers that or two of the writers that wrote it. You studied that, you know, and usually for somebody like me. It was my first time. They'd try to schedule it later on in the uh in the you know, in the episode, I mean it was an eight days that's another thing. We did four songs in episode and only a regular eight day shoot like a regular drama, our drama. That's all that's insane and everything recorded like we said live. So my preparation didn't change at all from my preparation to do a character. You know, whatever it is in my background that I could call upon, and for this I could call upon a lot. My uncle, Pat Depalmer, was the chief of police in my hometown. My father was a part time cop when he was younger. You know, I have a lot of there. Both were marines, you know, I got all kinds of that stuff in it. None of them sang. But the thing that I found, which was a great it was an acting lesson for me, was because I wasn't that confident of my voice. I knew I could carry a tune, but I wasn't like Anne Bobby or Paul mccrane or any of these guys who could sing. And I had trained voices, you know, I had to bury myself in my character. This was really my character's inner voice singing out. So I wasn't performing some of those some of those numbers were performed like musicals and had dancing and stuff. Most of my numbers were quite introspective and really voices of the inner character, you know. And and so it wasn't that hard to prepare for because I didn't because I have to tell you something in my mind, people like Anne Bobby who've done musicals and stuff, there's a switch in your body as an actor that you have to be able to flip to do a musical, to be able to blow away all reality and to overact and to do I don't know if it's called overacting, but to really really present. I don't know that I have that talent. But like I said, Aunt Bobby could, and you know, and and a few other people you know who had performed, know even as even as rock musicians, you know, like Larry had, Larry Joshua had a band, Jimmy McDaniels hit a song already in theater, Paul mccrane of course fame. Yeah, yeah, you know, he's brilliant, and you know, so so so my preparation and plus the fact that I was not that accomplished an actor. I've only been into business a couple of years, so I I had to depend on my own natural process and just make the music fit in to that, you know, And so it did I think it fit in? Well?
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 2: Again, I'm not I'm not a big fan of my voice and whether I hit the right notes. But each time at least in my numbers and a bunch of other numbers too, But I felt that in my numbers that it worked. It worked in the show.
Speaker 1: You know, I love hearing that you looked at it as like this is the character expressing their inner thoughts through the songs. It comes across so well that way, And I mean personally, like you keep saying you don't like your voice, Like I mean, you know, I've seen you in Good Fellows, I've seen you in Swat, like I've seen all this stuff. And when I watched Cop Rock, I was like, oh my god, he's got the voice of an angel too. Who was this guy?
Speaker 2: I wish?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: Who's a singer in my house? Is my wife? She was? She was an actress when I met her, and she has an amazing voice. She's she's become a writer, producer, all our lives together. She you know, she was on shows like Big Love, Good Advice. She started out. She was actually nominated for an Emmy her first job here. Her and her partner Meei Freedman Jenet Collins is her name. Her and her partner meet me Freeman, were nominated for an Emmy on the first show that they wrote on here in Hollywood, which was in Living Color.
Speaker 1: Oh, they wrote Wow.
Speaker 2: They wrote the first season of In Living Color with Wow people. Yeah so, but but but the asign is that she has an incredible voice and probably perfect pitch. You know. I wouldn't know because I don't have perfect pitch. But uh, and I'm I'm the jerk who gets the thing on TV. You know.
Speaker 1: So you do, you do cop Rock and then you go on to work with Stephen Bosco a lot, Civil Wars, Murder one, some ny PD Blue episodes. Was cop Rock? The first role you had where you played a member of law enforcement?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yeah, all I did before that was was Kate and Alley. You know, that was it. That was the first one. And this interesting thing happened after Pop Rock was canceled. Stephen called me up, and this is how new I was in the business. Calls me up my trailer and he says, ABC's gonna call you about a holding deal. I went, Okay, what's that. Well, they're going to pay you a certain amount to hold you for an ABC show. And I went, they do that?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: Because yeah, they do that?
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: So, so I'm sitting around waiting for an ABC show and I get called to do I met with Stephen Cannell. He wanted me to do the commission. Do you remember the show?
Speaker 1: Oh y, yes, yeah, Michael Ticholas, Yes.
Speaker 2: Chicky did it, which is it was a great show for him.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well I turned it down because it was in Vancouver and my kids were like four and two, and so I said, no, I can't go to Vancouver for twenty five weeks a year, you know. Plus it wasn't an ABC show and I had this holding deal with ABC, so I figured something might come my way, you know. And in the meantime, Civil Wars comes around, and I asked Steven, I said, you know, would you consider me for Civil Wars? And then he called me and he said, yeah, I got this role for you, but it was a lesser role. It was like a private investigator, you know that work for Charlie Howell and the firm. And then I got a call from somebody else to do another lead. So I called Stephen back and I go, hey, you're my mentor. These guys are all calling me about doing leads, and you want me to do this secondary role. I said, would you consider me for the lead? He goes okay, you know, And so I came in and I read, and I loved the law. I had two semesters of law undergraduate and two semesters in graduate school from my MBA. I loved the law. I just was not as conscientious an individual to go to law school and study I could. One of my best friends in college, his name is tom Vinaski. Tommy and I were co captains of the football team. Tommy was from Shamokin, Pennsylvania. Cole Town boy. Yeah, nothing but football and.
Speaker 1: Cole Okay, sounds like it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. He graduate, waited and went on to law school, and he just now retired as a federal appeals court judge Obama had appointed him. Okay, that was Tommy. I could not do what Tommy did you know? I could not be But I love the law. I loved the idea of having to legislate morality. How do you write in sentence form how to behave morally or what is morally right? What is morally wrong? And what kind of what kind of penalties? You know? So the law always interesting me. I loved it, you know, And and so Stephen had me read and then then it looked like, yeah, I got it. Right, and then they're looking for the female lead and they can't find the female lead. So Greg Homlet, who was Stephen's best guy for he did all his pilots, calls me up once. He says, what do you think about Mario Humingway? And I said, well, I said, that would be an incredible thing for the you know, for the commercial success of the show. You know, screw you and your NBA shit. You know, come on, guys, you asked me.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm sensing a theme here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right. So, so Mary All got the job, and then then Debbie Maser got the job. And Debbie and I were in Goodfellas. We never knew each other, but she had a nice, big role in Goodfellas, you know, so we and then David Marciano was on, and David and I grew up probably ten miles away from each other in New Jersey, so we could finish each other's you know, jokes and sense. So Civil Wars was wonderful. And to be able to to actually, some of the best lawyers are actors, so to be able to be an actor playing a lawyer who's being an actor in a summation speech was really cool, you know. But It was brutal, sometimes these couple of pages of summation speeches that you had to memorize and stuff. But I loved it and I loved it, and that show in particular Civil War, because it was civil law, it was about family law. It was really, really, really visceral in the way it tore people apart or put people together. And years after that, I do this regular benefit in Omaha, Nebraska, so far away from me culturally and philosophically, with wonderful people. Even years after that, I've been doing it for twenty some years or more. Actually, people will come up to me and cite particular episodes of Civil Wars because maybe they were going through a divorce at the time, or a custody battle, or caring for an elder parent. Whatever it was. Really it was another show that was beyond its time. It was very hard. Network almost put it on because it was so dark, you know. Uh. In fact, the pilot episode, the pilot episode had to be reshot okay, because my scenario was I was defending a guy whose wife asked him for a divorce. He was he was a schmat the guy he was in the you know, in the uh uh in New York in you know, the garment district. She was young and she was taking advantage of him and everything. And you know who played the guy who? Jerry Stiller.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, And I wish that.
Speaker 2: This film could be found someplace, yes, because you should see Jerry Stiller's dramatic acting. It was incredible, and it was so incredible that it was too damn dark. And the network said, oh, sorry, we can't use it. You gotta you gotta do another story. So they ended up filming another story where I'm defending a woman who's who's who's divorcing her husband, and her husband is played by Dennis Franz and Dennis is possessed by Elvis, and he was talking like Elvis, and he says, I love you silly. She goes, my name is not silly. Your name is not Elvis. It's Murray Seidelman. You're a coffee salesman, you know. And it was so wonderfully dramatic and poignant, and of course Dennis fran.
Speaker 5: Dennis friends, you know, oh yeah, And they went through I mean they went they built the they built the big spread eagle uh costume that Elvis.
Speaker 2: Wore for this awesome amazing. So that was the pilot episode, and uh, they still felt it was too dark, they you know, So we got two seasons out of it. But that was it, you know. And then uh, I came back for Murder one, and then I came back as a regular for Murder in the first where I got to work with Felton Todd Felton, Oh yeah, so, but Stephen always and then I came back for that arc on NYPD. You know. The funny thing was the second season of Civil Wars. Stephen sent the pilot episode of NYPD down to my trailer. He says, read this, tell me what you think. So I read it and I said, well, the lead character has an Irish name. Are we not working together anymore? He said, screw you. You got your own show. And we had not been dropped yet. We were still waiting to see if we had gotten picked up. And sure enough, we got dropped right after, you know, and I said, you so. But but Stephen was wonderful to me. You know. I spent a lot of time before he died. I spent some time with him and and his wife, his ex wife, Barbara. I was friends with her, and we go and see her she's she's gone now too. Barbara died a couple of years ago. But they were real, real cheerleaders for me coming in. They didn't know who No one knew who I was. I mean, Jimmy McDaniels came off a Broadway to do cop Rock, Paul mccrane, you know, fame and everything else. Ronnie Cox established you know, a terminator or whatever else he was in, you know, and Bobby had come off Broadway, so they didn't really know. They actually thought, I think that I was a Shakespearean actor that they'd never heard of. I know Shakespeare from my left arm, you know. In fact, one time I was just telling a friend of mine. We were filming Firebirds with Tommy Lee Jones, and the two of us were stuck. Tommy Lee and I were stuck in the eight by eight camouflage net while Nick and Sean were filming because there were cameras going from like a mile around. Tommy Lee says to me, I won't direct you as Yago. I said, okay, I had to go home and figure out which Shakespearean play Yago was in. So like I say, oh that's good, I'll do that, you know, Yeah, sure, I can't. But so so I'm kind of theater a literate. I you know, like I said, I got my I got my I got my actor's equity card. My first actor's equity job was in the original play Talk Radio on Broadway.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad you brought that up. I love the movie Talk Radio. I've always wanted to see it on stage. And when I saw you had done that at the public theater, I was like, I got to ask him about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was that was wow. I was in fact right at the time, I hadn't gotten Kate all yet. I was making good money doing commercials, really good money doing commercials. So I had only a commercial agent. Yeah, I had only a commercial agent. I need to have a legit agent to send me out for stuff. I was sending myself out for stuff that was in backstage or whatever. And so I get this auditioned for to do voices in talk radio, to do callers in talk radio, because I had some voiceover work. I was and then and I said to my commercial agents, I said, do I really want to do this? I mean, you know, I'm making thousands and thousands of dollars doing commercial Why do I want to do this public theater things. They went, are you out of your mind? Public theater? You go do that job. We'll get you commercial work. You just go do the job at the public. Right. So I had one scene on stage. The first opening scene is me and Zach Grenier. He's the financial guy and I play his engineer. And then I go off and I did like four other characters, you know, some of which I actually created. I brought to Eric came back and asked me, well, here's the audition was. So there was this guy. My wife loves this story. My wife and I used to go on west Ford Street in New York to this little place called the Bagel Restaurant, and every time we get in there, it's a guy would Our waiter would come up and he go, how are you.
Speaker 6: I haven't seen you in such a long time. You're looking at wedding. He says, you want to do Georg Jordan and I said yes. Then he goes, Casey, push to well done, Grasan Nasai.
Speaker 2: How about you, honey. Right, So I get one of these characters and I'm in the back and I use that voice and Eric stops and he comes back and he's looking around. He goes, who was I said it was me. He goes, no, I said, yeah, it was me, you know. And so Glenn, even in the movie is Latino. He wasn't Latino in the script. Wow and so, and then Eric needed another character. I said, well, you know, I do this. You know, I went to college in Pennsylvania. I've got Philadelphia accent, I've got Pittsburgh accent. I said, you know, I want to do truck you want he said, I want to do truck driver. I said, well, let's do truck driver with a Pittsburgh accent, you know, which I just did. And this is us. I was pretty much the only one that was allowed to do the Pittsburgh accident because it came through pretty well. But I, you know, I went to college with those guys, you know, spent time, you know, drinking and everything else. So so that was a character that we kind of created together. The bad thing was when Oliver Stone was auditioning for the movie. You come in with you bring three characters that you're going to do. So I came in. He said, well, what characters you want to do. I said, well, I'm gonna do Glenn, and I'm gonna do that. He goes, well, we already have a Glenn. I went, how could you have a Glenn? I The reason Latino is because I did it that way. How the hell could you have a Glenn?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 2: Well, I didn't get any part in the movie. So, but one of the reasons that Oliver Stone did the movie was because John c McGinley, you know him, was in Platoon and Johnny was in Talk Radio in the play, so he got Stone to come up and see to play and then Stone worked it out with Eric and that's when they did the movie.
Speaker 1: You know, wow, yeah, yeah, I love it. Peter on Aati's with us. It's I Smell Pop Culture. I have more questions about some of your other roles. We're gonna get to here in just one second. We got to take a quick break. We'll play some commercials here. It's I Smell Pop Culture. My name's Easton Allen and we're here with Peter Onati from Cop Rock and okay, so the same year that he did cop Rock and actually maybe you can clarify the timeline here, but you're also being Goodfellas. You have such an incredible role in Goodfellas. Did you film that before Cop Rock or act.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Goodfellas came out in ninety. Cop Rock came out in ninety but Goodfellows was filmed almost almost at least a year before my son, my son, Sebastiano Sonny was born in March of eighty eight, I'm sorry, eighty nine, and I filmed Goodfellas in May of eighty nine. And here's an interesting story. So Jeanette and I were pregnant and she didn't want to have a baby in New York City, and you know, all my Italian relatives were scaring her in New Jersey. So we moved out to LA And it was a good time to do that because I had work and I wanted to move to LA anyway, because that's the next best place to go for your career. So I was on Kate Now. The very last day of shooting Kate Nolly last night was a Thursday night, and we shoot in front of a live audience at the Ed Sullivan Theater, which is now the David Letterman Theater. They want to go to, Okay, whatever it's called now, it's the at Sullivan Theater. Man, it's where the Beatles were in Elvis and.
Speaker 1: Everybody, yeah, legendary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so so we done filming Thursday night. Friday is Saint Patrick's Day. If you know anything about New York City, Saint Patrick's Day closes down and there's trunks all over the place, you know. And I have a two thirty flight out of JFK because my son is due to be born that next Monday. So it's Friday morning. I wait for my two thirty flight to go back to LA to help out my son's birth. I get a call from my agents, you have a callback for Scorsese and Rockefeller Center at twelve thirty for Goodfellas. So I called my wife and I said, I hope the babies laid because I would be okay. So, now here's the funny part. At that time, Scorsese was hiring for the small roles like I got real mob guys or cops who chased real mob guys. So we all had the same scene to read, and he if he liked you, he would just pick a roll for you, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I walk into the outer casting office and there and these guys sitting there with silver sweatsuits and patent leather sneakers, and they look at me and they go, hey, what are you reading for. I go, I got the science for Sonny Bamboo. He goes, you'll know him. I go, no, I don't know him. He goes, I know him. You don't look not like him. I said, well that's what the gamy. He goes, all right, God bless you kid. Right. So I'm not nervous enough. Now. I'd only been into business a few years, and I was used to doing what I did in the business world, which was to try and make the meeting mine. You know, then how would I make the meeting? Mind it's a commercial addition to a little something extra or whatever. So I'm going in the sea scorsesey, I'm like, hell, am I going to do that? Right? Well, it dawned, doesn't it that my grandfather last name is the exact same spelling without the s scot Ace. Okay, So I go in and I make up a story for Scorsese. He goes, you want to? I said, before we read, I need to ask you if we're related, because I said to my grandfather, Dana Tho Scorta as I said, I'm going to read for the great director Martin Scorsese today, and my grandfather said, wow, things way have a cousin a one time, we should take the S out of the name. Scorsese goes, really, really because we can't find our relatives. I'm going, oh, I'm screwed now. I made the whole thing up right. So I go, uh uh, well, where are you from? He goes, uh, We're from Sicily. I go, no fucking way, We're not Sicilian. What are you? I go, well, we're Napolitans. He goes, hey, you guys drink too early in the morning. You want to do that? I go, yeah, let's do it. I read the scene and I got a roll.
Speaker 1: Brilliant, absolutely brilliant.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: I mean, okay, so you get this role. You get beat up by de Niro and Ralio nearly fed to a lion. How many actors can claim that? I mean that incredible?
Speaker 2: It's an iconic scene. Actually, yes, and actually here's here's I'll tell you about the shooting of it later. But a couple of years ago, one of my good friends, Jerry Gel he's also the guy who handles my website and everything else, we were going to get some I had to get some pictures for autographs, and I walk into the local place here in Sherman Oaks and guy looks at me and he goes, I said, yeah, you know, of course I'm an actor coming for headshots, right. He goes, no, no, no, no, and Jerry goes, he was in Goodfellows. I goes, you weren't good He said, yeah, he said. I said, well, I'm the bookie that turns him in and that they throw to the lion. They tried to throw the lines. He goes. He goes, you know, he goes, Henry Hill before he he died, painted a whole bunch of scenes from Goodfellas, I said, and he said, I think he painted that scene right. So I go back to pick up the pictures and he's got a photo of Henry Hill's painting of my scene. Whoa, Now it looks like a third grader did it? Okay? So I go online and I find the original one, and I want to take a chance, but I can turn around. I've got the original Henry Hill painter of that scene, you know, here in in my office.
Speaker 1: That rules. Wow.
Speaker 2: So that's how iconic the scene was, you know, yes, so, But in the meantime it's funny because I get you know, I mean, we're filming in Brooklyn in Park Slope at like two in the morning. You know, I get in the car and De Niro goes, hey, doing I'm Robert, I'm Bobby de Narrow. I go, yeah, I know, he goes So. I started telling that story and my kid after my kid was one year son, he was one years old, he's I go through the narrow. He goes so. And so there was a really embarrassing part, you know, when they're punching me, you know, and I have to sell the punch, you know, to sell to make the stunt work. So they're filming from the front windshield, windshields out, they're filming and they're hitting me, and I got to go back, and I got to go back like this, Well, when you do a violent action at the time, I was studying martial arts, you know, there's sound with the violent action. Well I couldn't KII and I was like, god, you know, I couldn't. Well, I go back to friggin third grade. They go action and I go like this, They go cut. The sound man comes over, he goes, you don't have to put that, we can do it later. I'm like, oh fuck, I'm so oh my god, you know, and so that was part of it. And I was talking to Ray, and here's interesting thing.
Speaker 4: Right around that time, rain Man came out, okay, and I don't know if you know, but Rayleiota did a wonderful movie with Tom Holts.
Speaker 2: Called Dominic and Eugene. Yes, okay, it's almost the same sort of thing, him taking care of his you know, his brother who's handicapped. Tom Hols plays the handicapped brother. Such a superior movie to rain Man in that way. So I'm sitting here with Ray, it's three o'clock in the morning or whatever. I go, Ray, what's man? You know? Dominic and Eugene was such a better movie. And you know Dan rain Man, He goes, are you kidding me? He's Tom Cruise, Dustin Hoffman, Ray Liota, Tom Mollis. I said, okay, I get it, never mind, but yeah it was. And Ray grew up only a few miles away from me too, some New Jersey, I think. And I grew up in Boomton, New Jersey. And although if you live in Boomton, you say bouton.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, bten So another one of your roles that I that I really just wanted to point out you were a wrestling coach on Sex and the City. In my opinion, one of the I'm a big Sex in the City fan. One of the best episodes my mother board myself and if anyone's listening, it's the one where Carrie breaks her laptop and just to get a new one. But but Peter, you were the wrestling coach. You got to be one of Samantha's boyfriends. I mean, what a great role to get.
Speaker 2: That was a great role. And actually the executive producer is an old friend of mine. I knew him from New York when he was a performance artist in a stand up comic. He had nothing going on, and he came out here and became a great writer on Murphy Brown and then he ended up running Sex in the City. Michael Patrick King.
Speaker 1: I just talked to him the other day. It's incredible.
Speaker 2: Oh, Michael's great. Michael and I go away, Michael's at my wedding.
Speaker 1: Wow, oh my god.
Speaker 2: When he was still living in New York in a place called the Doorway to Hell. Yeah, this little apartment, you know, and Michael calls me, he goes, hey, how'd you like to do five sex scenes with Kim Cattrell. I said, naw, I'm going to wash my hair.
Speaker 1: I'm busy.
Speaker 2: I said to you, if you fly me out, yeah, I'll do it right. So, and I think it was supposed to go maybe for another couple of episodes. I would love to have done it like that, But so the the idea was that towards the end there she was starting to have trouble climaxing right, And so they had these They had a sort of a Comma Sutra sheet or something. And Michael knew because Michael and I had done an improv workshop together where I had lifted him up over my head like this, because I wrestled in high school and in college, is you know, And so he thought of me right away, and he just called and offered me to roll. So we're looking at all these positions and stuff like this, and it happened to be my forty eighth birthday. And Kim looks at me and says, thank you for doing it. She goes, you wouldn't believe some of the guys they get in here. Sometimes. She goes, I'm so happy to have a real actor. Blah blah blah. I said, Kim, it's my birthday and I can't think of anything better than the bank five times, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, She goes, it's your birthday.
Speaker 2: I go, yeah, but this is the last scene. I didn't say anything. Done. Now, I don't want to hear any crap about right, blah blah blah. So I get done. I go back to my dressing room and put my clothes on. Right, I get out. It was a silver cup or something out in Queens. I'm going to my car to get brought back into the city and this pa starts running towards me. She had sent out for a carvel birthday cake for med amount of time.
Speaker 1: Wow, okay, I love that.
Speaker 2: And then the other thing that happened that was really funny was during the five scenes or four scenes where ever the hell it was so Kim, because she does all the sex stuff, has like a cup for her leading men. It's like a brack cup, so appliable, it's not it's totally hard, and it's unclear straps so you can't see, you know. So there was one time where we're kind of going at it and the cup pops in and pops out. She goes, oh, and I said, that wasn't me, that was the cup. You know, she goes, well, maybe I liked it. I go, well, I hope you do, because we got another four hours of this shit and we kind of stayed friends, were in touch once in a while, and there was an article actually out about the top one hundred guys she had six with and I made it in dinner under fifty I think something like that. But it was great. It was great fun, and I wish it had lasted more because she was great and I got to the show right around you know shows when I did Kate Now, it happened to when shows go on for a while sometimes camps sort of developed. I don't know why. Maybe some of the actresses or actors want more lines. Could be anything political or set wise or whatever it is money I but camps developed, you know, same thing. I'm Kate Nelly. Susan and Jane were best friends when they started the show. When I finished the show with them, they were friends, but they weren't as close as they were in the beginning. And I don't think anything to do with either of them. I think it's some people came in to run the show that Jane didn't like, and Susan was like always happy, So it's gonna work out. It's gonna work out, you know whatever. But camps developed, and in I sense that when I got to Sex and the City too, you know, so that's all right. My camp had Kim Coatrell.
Speaker 1: And it hey not bad places to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Peter, this has been so much fun. So in Gilmore Girls, Coprock is referenced when Laura, the main character, she's gonna have a Coprock marathon with her daughter Rory, and she brags that she has all the episodes on tape. And I was curious, you know, you have you have three sons. Is there like a show or something that you like to watch with your kids that maybe when they were growing up you would watch on a marathon something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And we never did any marathon stuff because boys were always so busy, you know. Yeah, I mean we you know, special events, special movies and things like that. In fact, there's a movie I just sent to a friend of mine just has a little baby. He was my next door neighbor and now he moved to New York. There was a beautiful movie. Well, my kids used to love Totuo.
Speaker 1: Okay, oh yeah, all right.
Speaker 2: I don't think I ever watched the whole thing, you know. But I have a granddaughter now, she's fourteen months old. But there's this little movie. It's called The Snowman. It was a short and it's an Academy Award nominated short from Canada.
Speaker 1: I know exactly what you're talking about, you know what, the beautiful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no view dialogue, just an amazing, amazing journey and that. And I just sent it to this guy next door who had the who has this little boy? And uh and I give it to people who, you know, when when I first have their kids, because it's a wonderful first movie, even if they can't speak, it's just the images and the sound is wonderful. But I don't remember, because you know what, there were be times when I'd sit down with the boys. Oh, you got to see this movie. It's a mad, mad, mad mad world. They're like, what the hell is it? Out of here? Right? Or you know anything? You know, even Young Frank is that they all go back to now they're like that, oh Young frank'sty Oh that I go. Yeah, now, you know.
Speaker 1: I could put you on early Yeah, Oh my god, it's so funny. Uh. Peter, thank you so much for your time today. This has been so much fun, and everyone cop rocks on YouTube. I hope everybody listening goes and watches it. It's truly a magnificent pro and I'm so grateful that you made it and you were part of it. It's just it's it's incredible. It should have gone for many seasons.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I think you can still get that whole the whole collection of the episodes on shout Factory, Yes, I think, but yeah, yeah, And most of the YouTube stuff is all the singing.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: I don't know that you know that there's much of the acting on there, but there's some of the acting in the singing, like we were talking about, But it's there, and it's it's pretty funny to watch. And you can see why the show went down because when it worked, it worked really well. When it didn't work, it ted, you know, tanked, you know, so, but it was And Steven said it best. He said, I'm proud that I did it. He goes, it was the most creative thing I've ever done. He goes, I don't think I'd want to do it again.
Speaker 1: So wow, thanks so much. Hope you have a great rest of your day.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: You two. It was great, so much.
Speaker 3: Dot everybody, and I'll forget.
Speaker 1: Follow us on Instagram at i Am all In podcast, and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com