Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, it's doctor Kelly om Z and I'm on We Talked Back Podcast. I can't wait for you to hear us talk about perimenopause and menopause. We're gonna give you some real information so that you can keep it wet, clean and fantastic through your forties and fifties.
Speaker 2: Welcome to We talk Back Podcast, the production of iHeartRadio and the Black Effect Network Talk Talk.
Speaker 1: We're just two unapologetically black women with an opinion. Who talks back. What's up, y'all? It's your girl, a j Holiday, what's up? Tam Bam? Hey y'all, it's Beet Tam Vam. I love y'all so so very much, and I'm glad y'all came back. I'm miss Jake. How was your weekend?
Speaker 2: How your weekend? Probably be in their car. They probably be in their car like AJ Gonna says, Tamgo sad age, and then tam Go say, how is your weekend? They saying it with you like and then.
Speaker 1: A Gonna say, i'd eventful, I ain't do mind that thing. I went to cost Co.
Speaker 2: I definitely went to Costco. Definitely went to TJ Max and my super bright light skinned homegirl who's been in town since. I was like, I don't know, twelve came by this weekend, so I ain't too much, just chilling and being grateful. I did go see my mom. I hung out with her a little bit on Sunday. I know she loves it when I come sit over there line your whole day be gone. But I don't know this. I worked out a little bit and that's about it. I ain't too much this weekend for real. I really just relaxed and chilled.
Speaker 1: I was just working. It's that time of year where I'm busy, you know, Thank you Jesus. So I've just been working. I had nothing eventful happened. Oh no, I lie. I went to you always.
Speaker 2: It's like.
Speaker 1: I went to a my teeth lived white as hell. I think it's that.
Speaker 2: I was just about to say that bitch, like, what the fuck, nop, he's super white.
Speaker 1: It's the I think it's the light. I don't know, but anyway, I went to this new spot in Charlotte called Astra Mediterranean something lounge, and it was like one of those it was like a halal place, but it had the hookah and it's loud. It was good. You know. They didn't have an alcohol, but I don't want none of that anyway. And I had some food and it was nice. And then I went to Crave and Dessert Bar and I got a That's one of my favorite spots in Charlotte. I still love Crave. Yes, just consistent, yeah, consistent quality. And I had like a little hookah little cocktail and uh, carrot cake cupcake. Yes, and that was it.
Speaker 2: That was We don't eat the bread pudding from there. I'm not a bread pudding girly girl. Yeah, I've never had bread putting out that I think about it.
Speaker 1: Oh, you tripping when I tell you.
Speaker 2: Me and Basilicia just go there for the bread pudding because they give you you know, it's like a little little saucer and a rampkin. That's what they call it, a little ramkin. And they have like the ramikan and they have the like the frosty sauce, you know, the white shit. What is it called iced? I used to have like icing, yeah, like a little thing on the side. Oh, I'm not a super duper uh what is this ship? Bread pudding girly, But I did grow up off a bread pudding. And they have a very very very very good bread pudding. If they still have it on the menu, you should try it next time.
Speaker 1: I'll try it. I've never had bread pudding. Always associated bread pudding and fruitcake. It's the same thing, like forge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just theirs is really good.
Speaker 1: Like so old hot food.
Speaker 2: It is old people food, because old people when like the bread is about to get old, they just turn that shit into bread, right. Our French toast, French TOAs have a little mold on it, old ass bread.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, that was it sounds fun.
Speaker 2: Let's get in the sin, y'all. So Paul Pears says the only way to really know if a girl loves you is a cheat on her and see how she reacts. So is this his podcast? I don't know. I don't think so. I mean, Paul Parris is one of the biggest basketball players all time, right, and he's on this Truth after Dark podcast, and he sparked a lot of backlash by claiming that the only authentic way to determine if a woman truly loves you is the cheat on her and observe her reaction. He suggested that loyalty in the aftermath of infidelity proves devotion that is disgusting. And I think a lot of us, a lot of women, and I have really been thinking, like, you know, if you you go through some shit in and stay stated down ass woman like, he's gonna choose you type mentality. Absolutely not. I ain't never been a dumb bitch in that way. I definitely have dealt with infidelity and relationships only really because it's just human nature. Like, but I don't recognize now I don't have to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, does sound crazy, Like what in the hell?
Speaker 2: Don't test me because you're gonna fail every fucking time married. I don't know. It's p paris married.
Speaker 1: He can't be married.
Speaker 2: The type of shit he be talking in there, talking about it, get it, get a live or seven if you are okay. The worst part is these are old farts talking like this. These are old ass fucking men like you know. And then he said the best way to see if a girl loves you. That's the problem right there, y'all fucking with girls.
Speaker 1: Girls are not grown.
Speaker 2: By a woman. Okay, because women be making niggas cry. Okay, because I'm gonna make you cry.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna break Christmas thing. I'm getting the fun up out of there.
Speaker 2: It's so toxic, really is So basically you want to hurt the person you say you love because that's what you're doing, right to see if they love you.
Speaker 1: That's weird. Yeah, you don't love her, You don't love her. Advice, don't listen to that nigga. You go find yourself alone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and also you're not a millionaire, okay, so don't look. Don't listen to a ball and ass baller.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: The type of should he be doing, y'all, not the same what you're going to.
Speaker 1: Lose because she loved him. She might stay because it's comfortable exactly like.
Speaker 2: Her her uh, her lifestyle is just completely different. Right, So you're trying to compare ourselves to Beyonce and jay Z relationship when we use the relationships with y'all and niggas, right, So don't be this is But the thing is is that he doesn't say anything that I don't think that men already think. Right, he's just saying the things out loud because I really I remember when I broke up with my ex most recently, like leading up to it, he was like, we ain't supposed to break up, Like he mentioned his other friends right, and how they went through all these things and she stayed like I've already went through things and stayed I don't feel like going through anything else. Nigga, you putting me out? Are you dumb? She's dumb.
Speaker 1: You've reached the quota, nigga, like you way past the.
Speaker 2: Threshold of bullshit. And my tolerance for bullshit is so fucking high because I just understand human nature, you know what I'm saying. And I'm not a fucking loser. So even in relationships, I'm gonna try my fucking best. But at what point do you think you can can discontinuously be disloyal and a relationship and the woman is supposed to keep you and stay like bitch, just get tired right here. And the thing is that I don't never think I can't do better. I can do comparable to you or greater every.
Speaker 1: Time, every single time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I think women just gotta up they self esteem. Man, Get the fuck up out of there. Whether he got money or not, get your own bag.
Speaker 1: All right, that part, all right? Listen to this, Listen to this. A wanted man in Ohio sent the police a selfie after seeing his photo on the news. Because he didn't like how I look and it wasn't the most flattering picture of hearing y'all. So a man in Ohio made headlines after sending police a selfie because he didn't like the muck shots shown on the news. Identified as Donald Pugh, he was wanted for skipping a court appearance and linked to other cases like arson and vandalism. He even emailed the police saying his muck shot was terrible and offered a better photo of himself wearing sunglasses in the car. Police think for being helpful, but reminded him to rather see him in person to discuss his charges. History quickly with viral proven that crime and vanity don't mix well.
Speaker 2: But as he in jail, though, the nigga saw himself in the news. All y'all got me fucked up here, And.
Speaker 1: The photo, y'all, the photo that he seeing is much better. It's a better undil hate nas police. They know they could have picked a better picture than that, right, They trying to make me look like a hardened criminal, right.
Speaker 2: He probably he definitely probably wanted for some scamming shit, okay.
Speaker 1: To be like mentally ill to do this right or not give a fuck.
Speaker 2: You know, he's just having fun, Like I'm gonna go to jail anyway, man, Let me just might as well.
Speaker 1: Look joy my time.
Speaker 2: I'm a what two chain song fresh his head when the fans comes, head, when the fans come, That's what he was doing.
Speaker 1: This nigga. I know he from young Town, Ohio. He's got to be.
Speaker 2: I thought he was from Harlem.
Speaker 1: No oh hi, oh yeah. They're flashing people too and her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't take no fuck up picture of me, y'all. So remember last week we were talking about and I know you've probably seen it now, this black woman I think they were in.
Speaker 1: Was it Ohio? California? Might have been California. That's happened at a Golden gym, Tish Hyman.
Speaker 2: She accused this man of exposing himself essentially in the woman's locker room, and he says he's a transgender woman and he belongs in a women's locker room. The gem ultimately kicked her out, the woman Tish Hyman, and basically canceled her membership after she, you know, was yelling in the middle of the of the goals gym, like what the fuck is wroman?
Speaker 1: Y'all?
Speaker 2: It's a grown man in the bathroom. But this week, y'all, apparently this same man transgender person accused of exposing himself in women's locker room was convicted of brutally beating his ex wife.
Speaker 1: Before take get her Name?
Speaker 2: Okay, so Tiss was not wrong for calling his ass out. And first of all, when are you going to transition? When are you gonna actually transition? When are you gonna cut that dick off? Okay?
Speaker 1: Because if you still got it, you got a transition, because can you can you be called trans if you still have your uh birth parts?
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying. Like to me, I thought that trans meaning the woman or the man has transitioned, transitioned into the other sex by way of the sex change. If there hasn't been a sex change, and there hasn't been a legal name change, and this person just can pull up and female women's spaces, that's a problem because I don't think any trans man is pulling up in the men's restroom, right, So this is just men trying to DeBow women's spaces. And again from last week, a Tiss, she's a she's a lesbian woman, right, So the transider person, yeah, it happened in Los Angeles bathroom. Now being convicted of so his now ex wife while living in Ohio as a man before taking the victim's name as their own.
Speaker 1: Alex Black ran a file of.
Speaker 2: Women, ran a foul ran a file of women at a gym in Beverly Hills, including singer songwriter Tis Hymen, who accused them of exposing himself and harassing her in the locker room. You could just see him pulling up in there like he's supposed to be in there.
Speaker 1: See, this is why I don't like that. And from the pictures he didn't. And this is where I feel like it's a slippery soap, because slope because he didn't look like he was trying to identify as a woman for real to me, because he didn't. He looked like a man with earrings. Song. That was it. But then I know women who look like men with earrings? Song? So how do you no? I trying to be funny. I mean it like that, you know, Like, so how do you say, like, this person isn't trends or how you say this person isn't like how do you determine that? I don't even know.
Speaker 2: You determine it? By your genetic makeup. You were born a man, I was born a woman, okay, just because you have slick back here with errings on and a woman can also appear like that. Being a woman is not about esthetic it's science. It is genetics.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: That's why even you know, at the doctor's office, they still have like on a on your paperwork. You know, they ask you. They want to be inclusive, right, so they have all the things that in man where you, but they ultimately ask were you born male or female? That's we're not talking about what somebody look like. Yes, there are definitely women that look like men, but genetically there's still a woman and they belong in female spaces, right. Women are not out here trying to vie. I feel like that man just wants to see women naked and he's doing it under the guise of being transgendered.
Speaker 1: Especially with the history of domestic violence against women and the instilling identity mm hmmm. A lot of a lot of those people, they're.
Speaker 2: Like mean, they are mean, and you know, like that is a telltale sign that your man might be okay on the down low. If he's mean to you, if he's putting his hands on you. If he's being belligerent and abusive towards you, they don't like you. They don't like you, and oftentimes they might be battling their sexuality and taking it out on you. How dare you get to be a real woman? And you know, and they are the main ones that are so upset and at arms about men who can live freely, gay men, transgendered, transen transgendered women who are out right don't give a fuck with no nobody thinks about it. It's the d L men that are dangerous. Those are the dangerous ones. Okay, angry hold, let me add this on it, y'all. I'm sorry. I've seen this postal Instagram. This girl she was like, uh, somebody said that if your man farn a lot, he might be del and I had to think. I had to think back, Okay, big girl, bye, No, because the bitches in the comments, listen, what's up with your what's up with your gut?
Speaker 1: My guy?
Speaker 2: What is up with your uh your uh gastro system? Like, what's going on? Why is your booty clapping so fucking much? I'm girl all on One bitch commented and said she was arguing with her ex husband and he had farnted and she said, why the fuck your fart smell like lube? I commented, that's mad. Damn, I'm so mad that I'll fuck with niggas that I gotta violate like this anymore, because I would definitely have that in the arsenal. Your hearts smell like.
Speaker 1: Lube, that is ridiculous, That is asinine, I bet, while your fart smell like loube is crazy. Y'all. We have a guest on today, doctor Kelly. She is talking Perry menopause and menopause with us. We'll be right back.
Speaker 2: You are crazy, all right, y'all. So today we're turning up the heat, okay literally because we're talking Perry menopause.
Speaker 1: This is what tam, we want to talk about.
Speaker 2: And listen, we are not going through this phase yet, okay, we just want to see what Okay.
Speaker 1: I'm not very sure. That's why I have questions, you know, because.
Speaker 2: Right because exactly so it's like that in between stage and your body like we ain't done yet but definitely changing. Okay. So today we have the incredible doctor Kelly Elmore. When we talked back, she's a board certified OBG Y n retired Navy captain. Okay see, she's the boss, cap you get her and say okay right, and founder of Koe Medical Consulting. She's dedicated to helping women lead, live, thrive through every stage of life, including this one that me and Tammy are not going through. Yeah, y'all, aren't we all?
Speaker 1: Aren't we all? Aren't y'all? Thank you for joining us, Darna, Kelly, I really really appreciate you coming on talking to us and our listeners. Absolutely, I'm I'm here for it. This is what I love. I tell people I love what I do, who I do it for, and who I do it with. So that's my job. So tell us how you got into because, like are y'all before the show started, she says she was darting to Kelly since she was six years old. So tell us about how you got into becoming a doctor. Like your background. Well, I tell people all the time I was called to the pool pit of medicine. First, I want to say thank you both for having me on your wonderful show. I was gone to the pool pit of medicine very early. I didn't have doctors in my immediate family. As a matter of fact, I was the first one to go and complete college, so you know, everything after that, I was the first for that as well. But when I was a little girl, I you know, something told me in my spirit that I wanted to be a physician. And then one day I was watching KPBS. I think I might have been nine or ten years old, and they were showing the first laparoscopic hiss directed me. My mom walked through the door, like, what are you watching? Because if you can imagine a woman is like in a certain position having the surgery.
Speaker 2: Knew well.
Speaker 1: She was like, what are you watching? And I'm like, a laparostopic hiss directed me and she was like, did you what is that? And I said, well, that's what I want to do. And I used to watch this show called Heartbeat, which was all about obgyns, and I was like, and that's what I want to do too. Wow. So I decided that I wanted to, you know, be the safe place for women, especially because I have a history of domestic violence in my family, that I wanted to be that safe place for women to express what's going on not just with their bodies, but also spiritually, physically, financially, mental, them emotionally, so when you come to me, we having a full conversation. Right, Well, it's not like you a servant of the Lord, because goodness, all right, I have a question, all right, what's one myth about menopause you wish women would stop believing one myth about menopause? Well, this is an interesting question because right now they're actually changing the FDA black box warning on hormone replacement therapy. So a lot of people thought that they could not utilize hormone replacement for the last twenty years due to an article that came out or a study that came out that told them, you know, it's going to kill them. They're going to get more breast cancer, cardiovascular disease, all that other stuff. So the myth is that more women wo men are able to utilize supplements and or hormone replacement therapy medications in order to help them navigate perimenopause and menopause. So are for someone who like me, who's like so far away from all of this perimenopause, can you explain to me and our listeners what exactly is menopause and perimenopause? Like, what is it? Because when I love to start where so it's a change, right, and I will tell you that if you live past the A up to the age of sixty, you are going to go through the change. Just like when you were born, you went through adolescence, puberty, you're going through the change. So perimenopause menopause is the change of our hormones. And I like to start with menopause because it's just like more of a definitive space before I get the definition of perimenopause. So menopause is when our hormone levels estrogen progesterone dropped to such significant lows that we no longer have a periods, so we're not menstruating for twelve months. However, there's more than fifty different symptoms that are associated with having the drop in your estrogen progesterone and your tsosterone. So menopause officially is twelve months without your period or cycle, and then after that is what people call postmenopause. But I also like to say one myth to people, menopause lasts for your the rest of your life. That's the that is the area you are in in your life for the rest of your life. Once you stop having your periods, you're in menopause. See I used to think is like when you stop liking men men, know, pause pause on these men because of you know, so.
Speaker 2: That's what you say that teenage years.
Speaker 1: So that's funny you say that because you know one of the symptoms of the many symptoms is you can have decreased libido, decreased desire. And I remember a few of my friends to be like, oh my god, I don't know what's happening. When they hit their forties, like forties, was like, yes, baby, yes, they wanted to have sex, the whole thing, right when you hit four and then all of a sudden, all of that energy just like he continues to wax and wane. And that's where we call the perimenopause. So prior to you going through menopause, which means you're not having periods anymore, the perimenopause is that time before, and that time before can be anywhere from five to ten years prior to your actual menopause. Most people go through like the stage change that one year between the ages of forty eight and fifty two, right, but that time before that, that is that perimenopausal time. And you know, a lot of people think about fertility right, So their reproductive time, so that perimenopause you can still get pregnant. Your hormones are just like doing this. Yeah, so your hormones are doing this. And it's just like I tell people, the way we start is the way we end. So if you had puberty, if you remember puberty, that's what mental pause is like as well. So that's why I've never had a ZiT in my fucking life. Excuse my French, but all of a sudden I got zits on my jawline. Is that a symptom of perry? Perhaps? Yep? Face So estrogen? So estrogen, the decrease in estrogen, progesterone, testosterone. Right, Remember I told you there's fifty different symptoms or more that people can have. Now, Estrogen is in the in every part of our body, our skin, our hair, are you know, our our brains, our heart, everywhere is estrogen. Okay, So when you're starting to see things start happening. And then also depending on what you're doing for your nutrition, and I recommend people to eat what we call the Viva life five fruits, vegetables, nuts, rains, beans, drinking our water and if you eat meat that make sure it's you know, high quality, as clean as possible. But if you're if you are eating outside of those things, you're going to see your body respond even more to having this decrease in estrogen. So that is what is going around. Your hormone levels are dropping and you are starting to see the our bodies respond, our tissues respond, our organs respond to that. Should we be taken like estrogen? Sorry, So it is that is a very personal conversation. So every single person should have that conversation with their provider because we have to think about what's your family history, what's your personal history, and there are certain things that if you are active, like if you have active breast cancer, no, we're not going to give you hormone replacement, right, we may and sometimes we can do something local to the vagina, but that's one of those things we have to have that conversation about. If you have excessive i mean, excuse me, uncontrolled hypertension, we have to have a conversation about that because the cardiovascular risk could increase depending on what your cardiovascular risks are. So it's not that it's a complete no, but we have to have a conversation with you about your personal history. In order to recommend. Now, hold on, you said you could do something to the vagina, what is it? Tighten it, make it more wet, like what is it for? Shop for shop?
Speaker 2: So, as you know, your vagina is very like responsive to estrogen, So the estrogen, collagen, the juiciness, all of that, right, we need to make sure that we are able to keep that, like you said, moisten wet, if.
Speaker 1: That's what you so choose and how you so choose to use it. One thing I tell people, and this is a I don't know if it's a mythory, Well it's a truth on my basis. If you don't use it, you will lose it, Okay.
Speaker 2: So the point of the matter is get worried about that.
Speaker 1: I'll go through like spirits. Well I don't.
Speaker 2: But and so what I say is if I use it, I don't like you.
Speaker 1: We gotta make sure it's clean, healthy, and as wet as you want it to be. Right. So that being said, if you need to utilize a vaginal like moisturizer, you can use that, right, So we have a placements for that. We also can use vaginal estrogen locally so that you can continue to keep that area like I said healthy and moist because besides getting the itchy, scratchy vagina, as long as you don't have any inflammation or infection associated with it, you can also have what we call urinary tract effect what seems like to be urinary tract infections, and what we call that is the genital urinary syndrome or symptoms of menopause perimenopause. And that's because those estrogen levels are so low and it's dry, and now you're getting all of these symptoms associated that seem like urinary attract infections but may or may not be.
Speaker 2: You have all these things for like men libido, right, So we have creams right like you're saying, but do we have a viagraa type pill for women's libidos? Like everything is catered to men prolonging their I don't know, sexual sex.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so actually there are medications for women that help them improve their libido, their sex drive also, like I said, improve improve their vaginal moisture, the elasticity of your entire body as far as your skin and everything like that. So yeah, they're coming, they're on the market. They're not talked about as much, but they are you know more and more are coming out and especially, like I said, we have this at you at the health and Human services level. Now, we have some really powerful obgu I N eurogynecology advocates that are there in Congress and making sure these things are moving forward. So we have you know, we have we have different opportunities for different people, so you know it's not just a one stop shot hormone replacementary therapy. When we talk about estrogen replacement, that is definitely the the therapy that is going to help you with your hot flashes. That's like the gold standard to help prevent the hot flashes, which is what most people hear about. But then there are other opportunities for us as well if you don't want to use estrogen based or progesterone based products.
Speaker 2: Is this true or false? Like does having a direct me cause perimenopause or menopause Earlierly? Like that stage to happen early, Because when you talk about knowing your family history and stuff like that, I don't know a woman in my family who's not over you know, fifty who have not already had a hysterectomy from my mom, aunt's older cousins. So I can't pinpoint what's what Like, I am always happy when I see my period, right right, So yeah, I love seeing my period because I mean, I'm still I'm still youthful. I can still get pregnant, pop that couch. I can do all things, okay, But how do you know when everybody like, I don't know when my mom would have went through menopause, especially now you're saying like when menopause starts, it doesn't stop, like that's just the rest of your life is menopause. Right now, I don't know the difference between PMS and or menopause with these old ladies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I understand, I understand. It's me. Yeah, so ask your question again because I got in, you know, with the PAPTA. I got throw off with the pop. Sorry, I'm sorry, pop couci because listen, it's women in menopause still popping their koucie. Don't get yes, absolutely, which is why I need to mention this that we still need to even though people are like, oh, I can't get pregnant because I've gone through menopause, my eggs and run out. The likelihood of me getting pregnant is very, very low. But I never put anything past the higher power. We still need to prevent STDs. So gotneria chamitia herpe' heppatitus HIV. So because people are living longer, stronger, and thriving past their fifties, we still need to reprevent all of that.
Speaker 2: But go back to your menopause quicker right, oh with instaur Yes, that's what.
Speaker 1: So. So it's interesting because hysterectomy means removal of the uterus. But if you ask the woman if I you've had a hysterectomy, many of them don't know whether or not they got their ovaries and rears remove, right, so it's not even a partial hys direct me. The removal of an ovaries is called a oopharectomy, that's what it's called. The removal of the tubes is called a salping jectomy. The removal of the uterus is called a hysterectomy. So, yes, you have to very much get into the nuance with people about that. Now, sometimes when you remove the uterus, some of the blood flow that would be going to the ovaries decreases, so people can see the changes. Like I said, you can have some minstrul excuse me, you can have some perimenopause symptoms that seem to come on maybe not faster, but because you have decreased blood flow, you're getting those types those same type of symptoms. It's more when that estrogen level is gone. So if you have your ovaries removed, then yes, no longer are you. Yes, you are in medical or surgical menopause right then and there. So you can have surgical menopause, meaning that I took out your ovaries or decreased the significant flow to your ovaries. You can have medical menopause, which means I gave you medication to stop the function of your ovaries. Or you can have what a quote unquote natural menopause, where you've just matured and aged into menopause. And that is a questions because so many people are like, welly have my uterers taken out? I don't know if I'm gone through menopause. If you listen to your body, you will absolutely know when you stop cycling. But we have to be in tune with our bodies. And that's why I teach a lot about mindset and knowing yourself from the inside out. I had a friend she was fighting breast cancer, and she said that she was going into early menopause because of the medicine is that this happened from chemotherapy will send you into early menopause. So that's what we call medical menopause. So yes, you can you can actually end up starting to have the symptoms. You can fully go into menopause, or you can go into a state of you know, stopping where those medications are stopping the hormones from functioning that they normally do. And that's the whole purpose, especially when you have an estrogen or progesterone positive breast cancer. So you can either be paused or you can actually fully go into the menopause. And everybody is a little bit different how they respond to those therapies and medications.
Speaker 2: And don't they they're like medication that can I was gonna say, don't they have like a medication that can like basically if you're going through chemo, that can like guard your eggs correct.
Speaker 1: So they do put you on medications that can help, like I said, make that pause happen so that it can help protect right, But we don't know until you come off with all the medications whether or not what functionality you're gonna have. And that's typically not something that they're just gonna do for you. You gotta pay for that, right like, because well, no, that that a lot of times is a part of your therapy, and they should be having the conversation with women in regards to how do I protect my ovaries, how do I continue to maintain my fertility? And also and then I'm thinking you're talking about potentially egg harvesting, so when I harvest my eggs so that I can save them so that I can use them for later, either in my uterus or womb or somebody else's. And that brings me to my next question. Does stress play a part in how quickly your body goes into the change? Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I think that especially for Black women, we are known to go through menopause perimenopause about eight months to a year earlier than women women are kind of part right, non women of color, I guess you could say Caucasian women, whatever you want.
Speaker 1: To say, bege. So, yeah, and I do believe that that is associated with the amount of stress and weight that we carry from racism, structural racism, discrimination, prejudice, and then just having the weight of the world on our shoulders, you know, the financial responsibilities, the mental and emotional responsibilities that we carry more than most people do. Stop stressing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's gonna get old fast, and that's another reason why.
Speaker 1: You know though, that's the only thing, right, get older faster. But you will look it, I know, right, And a lot of people are like, oh, I don't look my age, and yeah, it's true. Many times we don't look our age because I think that genetically, genetically, we have developed protective mechanism so that we don't age in the same way that other people age. But I will tell you if you are smoking, and if you are you know, significantly, if you're OBEs, significantly overweight, if you are not managing your cardiovascular health diabetes, it doesn't matter. You know, if you're not doing those things, you're gonna look older than you should. Amen to that. That's what I was going to ask, like, when you how does fitness like, how should we change our fitness when we're going to pair mini pause, because I assume our metabolisms and things like that are affected by this as well. So you're absolutely so it's slow. Your menabolisms are slowing down. And so what I tell people is encourage young people already to exercise whatever that is if it's dancing, dancing, zooma and whatever it is, pilates, running, hiking, biking, getting out there and walking. Make sure you're doing that so young, if you're young, put your kids in some type of sports and make them do it. As you mature, continue doing that. Find your community so that you can enjoy exercise. We should be enjoying. We should be exercising five or six times a week, if not seven, right, even if the seventh day is going for a walk, but we should be exercise and enjoying that. So and then as you are, as you are aging, right, you should be increasing your strength exercises. So that is why you know, even doing resistance bans is so important. So adding weights you don't have to add, you know, significantly heavy weights. You don't have to lift one hundred, two hundred pounds. You don't have to do that. You can lift twenty thirty pounds. You can lift your own body weight. I mean, you know you weigh one hundred and twenty one hundred and sixty pounds or more.
Speaker 2: N I never been able to lift my body weight since I was an elementary. I can't never do a pull up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so be on there. But you know, we start with we start with doing pushups. So in the morning, when I wake up, I do my body scan and this is part of my Vivi Life program that I do. But I wake up, I do my body scan and I ask myself, you know, what's going on in my body from the top of my head down to the sole of my feet, and how do I focus my energy so I can heal that space. Then I get down on the floor, I do my Calisenics and that's push ups, that's crunches, that stretches, and I know it sounds funny, right, So I don't know. My mom watched jacqu.
Speaker 2: Lolaine, and you know I did a tibo when I was in my twenties and thirties. Whatever you need to do to keep moving and to keep that body, you know, strong, those are the things that we need to do.
Speaker 1: I remember one time I went to this female doctor and I was putting on weight and I was like, but I just don't have time. My life is so busy. I just travel and I work in two different cities and I just don't have time. And she was like, I'm a mother of five, I'm a wife, I have this practice and I still find time every morning to get up and go to the gym. So what were you saying? And then it becomes my hair and all that other stuff. No, I schedule it. So one of the things my family knows is the first hour of the day is mine. That's where I meditate, journal and get my exercise in, and then for the rest of the day, I'm optimizing my nutrition, my hormones in my sleep and I get my sleep. And so you're talking to an obgyn who used to, you know, do thirty six hourships and still got her work out in because it just makes you feel better mentally and emotionally, and of course it's going to help the physical aspects your heart health, prevent diabetes, prevent significant weight gain, all of that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The crazy thing is I have a consultation today at a weightlifting gym. All right, Yeah, because I go to the gym, but I don't be knowing what I'm doing half the time, right, And I want to like, I just don't want shit to.
Speaker 1: Move no more.
Speaker 2: I want the body to stay kind of like the same size, but I don't want no more jiggle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I understand, and that can happen. And so you're being intentional about what you do and how you do it. Because you don't have to be in the gym for twenty two hours. You don't have to do that.
Speaker 2: It's a discipline inconsistency for me, man, I just got to get some discipline in my life.
Speaker 1: Yep, listen, I will. I did seventy five hard earlier this year, and I was going to the gym twice a day for seventy five days straight. And then right after that, I did seventy five fat like right behind it, run again seventy five You better cut it out. I struggle with the consistencies, like just staying with it. That's my hardest part. I can do. I do the workouts, I know the workouts, I know the routines, I know how to live ways, but just going for life a lifestyle change is what I struggle with. That is that my kryptonite. So I don't I tell me understand. And that's one thing that we have just incorporated in my life, you know, Like I said, it's on my calendar, and don't mess with me. And even if I can't get like a hard workout in, I'm going to do something, even you know, walking something to get my mind going like right now, I don't feel like going to the gym, but I'm out there every morning and I'm walking two and a half miles and I'm going uphills and I'm using the resistance bands, doing the push ups in the setups. Excuse me, m all, I'm gonna go in a little while, I think today.
Speaker 2: And you gotta be in a community, right, So if you're in a community of people that this is what they do.
Speaker 1: So that's what my Viva lifeers and I do. Like we encourage each other to do all of these things. And it's not really like me saying you need to go, it's them seeing me go. Like I'm out there and I'm like, hey, what y'all doing? You know? And the next thing I know, everybody else is out doing something too. Right, that's you don't encourage me to get my ass up to They an't go because I wasn't gonna go because but I'm gonna go just because you said that. And let me ask you this, I never like, I never heard of Peri menopause. I heard of menopause growing up, but Perry menopause was never a thing.
Speaker 2: Is that the I just started hearing about it the last Is it a new convent?
Speaker 1: No, not at all. I mean, you know, I will tell you when I first started hearing about it was about twenty years ago when Oprah was on with doctor Hill I think her name was hilde Brand or Hilda greath but she they talked about What Women Need to Know about Sex was the book, and so it was a whole I mean, Oprah did a whole thing on menopause, just like she's doing now in perimenopause. But I will tell you when I even when I was going through training. You know, you grow up and they tell you're going to have your period and they tell you don't get pregnant, right, but they don't tell you anything between that or about that. When I was going through my OBGUI N training, we got the graphs that said this is what happens with estrogen, progesterone, testosterone. I will be honest with you, it's not until you hit the different stages that you're like, oh, this is what they were talking about. So the reason why you feel like it hasn't been talked about is number one, they stopped talking about it, especially after that whole Women's Health Initiative, because they didn't want people to be on horrimal replacement. Right. The other thing is it's coming up. You're going into the time of your life where other people are going into the time of their life where they're starting to feel these things, so you're more interested in it.
Speaker 2: Like, we don't talk about how to get pregnant until you're trying to get pregnant, right, So same thing, You're not going to.
Speaker 1: Talk about perimenopause until you're going through the experience.
Speaker 2: So like, what are some of the symptoms that women made mistake for something else but it's perimenopause.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so these are important things. So I'm gonna start with the heart, right. So a lot of people actually end up getting heart palpitations, anxiety, and sometimes some shortness of breast, chest pain. But we also have to make sure that we're ruling out what could kill you, right, So we got to make sure that it's not a heart attack. We got to make sure that is not some other kind of arrhythm or changes in your heart rate. But those are some of the things a lot of people get palpitations anxiety associated with perimenopause menopause. The other thing is people will notice that their weight changes, So they start getting what we call the mino belly or that mid that midriff weight game, that the what do they call it, the upha, the punfa, whatever it's called. But you know, yeah, so the muffin tops. So you start getting that and people are like, wait a second, what's going on with that? And so we have to make sure are you having a gastrulinetestinal problem that's going along with that? Is this friboids that's potentially going on? So going back to the head to toe exam is very important. And what I've noticed in mere cards, we've gotten away from examining people so that we can make a differential diagnosis means what could this be and what more likely is this? People also start having joint pains and so they're like, uncle Arthur is here right, So they think they have our ritis, but it's actually inflammation because the estrogen actually moisturizes our joints, helps moisturize that. So you know, those are some of the symptoms besides the hot slashes, vaginal dryness, mood swings. Mood swings are huge. But we have to figure out is this depression, you know, is it truly depression? Do you have a bipolar exacerbation exacerbation or is this associated with perimenopause or menopause? So those are so so okay.
Speaker 2: So people going through perimenopause get like bipolar symptoms in hand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean if you if you ask, like my best friend call and she was like, I don't know what's going on with my my mom, and a lot of men I'll tell you this too. A lot of men will tell you this too. They're like, man, I don't know what's going on over but she seemed like and then the other thing is as new as you mature, you can also you know ad ad D. People can get the you know, uh focused deficits. And you hear me saying, because you get brain fog and you can't figure out what word you're supposed to say. So then some people are thinking they're going through Alzheimu's or yeah. So yeah, I'd be feeling like that sometimes.
Speaker 2: But like I said, but when we before we started recording, like I had, I mentioned this last week too, I had a physical done and I'm like super iron deficient. But that can also cause like the brain fog. That's hardness. So I never once thought I was going through the change though, But I knew something was going on.
Speaker 1: But remember, you are going through change constantly. Our bodies are constantly changing, even on a blood change. Yeah, but you are if I mean, if you're if you're in your forties, you are going through the change. You just haven't gotten to the big part of the change. You're going through these small, minute, po portions of the change. But yeah, you're going through the change.
Speaker 2: So okay, can you can you like, as long as you have your period, that means you're not in perimenopause and you're not in menopause.
Speaker 1: So as long as you have your period, so let me put it this way, as long as you're continuing to consistently have your period, then you are not in menopause, but you can still be PERIMENOPAUSM. So the time prior to you stopping your period for that twelve months is called perimenopause. Now, one thing I want to say, because some people will stop their periods for the twelve months and then have a period that needs to be investigated for endometrial cancer. Mm. Yeah, we have to investigate that. So if you stop having your period going on, Yeah, if you stop your period for twelve months and all of a sudden you start having you know, bleeding, spotting or anything like that. Then that needs to be evaluated because it could be a form of cancer. It could be and it could be you know that depending on where you are, you can have significant stress that trigger something. You have this quartisole response you're you know, and then you unfortunately start having bleeding, especially in women in fibroids. I've seen that happen to them where they have the fibroids, and even though in menopause they should be shrinking, but you're having some significant stressors going on and for some reason you've triggered your hormonal milieu and it actually calls you to bleed. But even in that instance, I still make sure I'm ruling out intimutual cancer do women, because I feel like black women get fibroids more than our you know, counterparts. And does that affect like how quick you go into perry in menopause when you have fibroids, So fibroids doesn't affect that. However, your hormonal changes will affect the fibroids. So that's why you see women having you know, growth of the fibroids. That's why you also see them having these heavy, unbearable periods associated with fibroids. So that is all the fibroids are hormonally impacted. So that's why you see some of the changes that are going on. I wouldn't say that having fibroids puts you into perimenopause faster. Remember that is very much based on your brain hormones and your ovaries and that communication between both. Why do you think that black women get fibroids more than other people? Yeah? So, you know what, I'll be honest with you. Part of that is the stressors that we are taking on because you know, estrogen doesn't just live in our ovaries, it lives in the adipost tissue as well. Okay, Cortisol responses from stressors, what we're eating, what our environments are, and then what our genetic history is. Oh and for example, my family, they all have many people in my family have had fibroids. I've never had fibroids. I actually get my ultrasound done to make sure that they check for fibroids. But I've also been on progesterone for almost my entire life through my IUD. I also like I said, practice the Viva Life five for my entire almost my entire life, even before I named what it was. That's what I do, and so minimize that stress, making sure environmentally that I am, you know, not in environments that could probably trigger the hormonal responses or growth as well as what I'm eating. So food is your medicine as well. Do you use sizing salt? Do you use season of salt? Because I just cavery lawry is what's giving us fibroids, y'all stop you. So do I use season in salt sparingly? I would say yes, I do loud. You know I grew up I'm flowers too, but I use it very sparingly. So if you come eat it at my house, you may feel like the food might be a little bit more bland than you used to. But that being said, you know, I don't have hypertension, I don't have diabetes, I'm not overweight, and I'm doing this intentionally. So it's really important to when you're seasoning your food to make sure that we're minimizing the sovium that's attached to it. I swear y'all over the years, my mama's food is still good but it tastes more like white people food because she don't use salt like that no more. She don't well fry no more, she don't. Everything is changing. But I mean, you know, I'm adopting that a little bit. Okay, yeah, So, I mean just taking out fried foods right will make such a big difference. And what I tell people is if you do it more than ninety percent of the time. My colleague says eighty percent of the time. But if you eat, you know, on that clean eating more than ninety percent of the time or even eighty five percent of the time, you're going to be so much better off than most people in America. Agent five. Yeah, what is Viva life five? You've meant life now, So v class stamps for live. Viva means live life. And what we're trying to do is help people live their healthiest and wealthiest life spiritually. Spiritually exactlycates from women getting money. Okay, oh yeah, say we leave no bags on the table, okay, So spiritually, physically, financially, mentally, and emotionally, and essentially what this entails is you get myself and my fellow consultants to help you through webinars podcasts, affirmation rooms. So that's the mindfulness pa, journaling, meditating and incorporating that exercise, hormone nutrition, and making sure that you sleep. So it's a community that we've created in order for you to do five things pretty much every day and eat those five foods fruits, vegetables, nuts, grains, things, drinking our water. And if you eat meat, make sure it's clean and high quality. Do you eat meat? I do eat meat. I make sure I try to make sure it's clean, the high quality. Now that might be the ten percent that I'm not doing correct all the time, but yeah, I try to make sure that we're eating high quality or minimizing it. You know what I'm saying. I don't eat meat every single day. Do you eat pork at all? I do. I went through the whole phase of not eating pork at all, and I did. I went through the whole you know, like it was. It was funny, it was. I went to I went to college, right, I went to Xavier University in New Orleans, Bblisiana. I went to HBCU and I was like, I'm not I'm not gonna eat meat.
Speaker 2: And I got there and I had no money. So you had to eat a cafeteria and guess what they put out every Friday. Pork chop bacon.
Speaker 1: You're like, all you can eat bacon. I was like, yeah, some of that. Listen. Every time I meet someone over one hundred, I asked them do they eat port? And they say yes. I ain't meant a person yet over one hundred that said they don't eat no port.
Speaker 2: It's not about the pork though, Like the food just isn't what it used to be when they were our age, right.
Speaker 1: So that's just like I don't eat a lot of things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just not the same.
Speaker 1: I don't eat a lot of pork. If I do eat any I eat fish, I eat beef, high quality beef. And then if I eat pork, if I be a pork chop. Right, So, but it's not fried and all that other stuff. But I have everything in moderation and choose where you're gonna be. Another big thing is alcohol. So minimizing your alcohol is very important through perimenopause and menopause. You know, people say one or two drinks a day, and I'm like that seems like a lot, But I would say minimize it to like one or two drinks a week would be better. And if you're noticing that you're needing to drink every single day, then we'll probably need to talk about whether or not there's some alcoholism tendencies that are going on in your life. But that will alcohol will exacerbate all the symptoms for a lot of people. As I get older, I find that I used to have fun, a lot of fun with alcohol, but as I get older, I just feel like it makes me sick. I don't feel good anymore when I drink it. I don't. It takes me like three days to get better after just having two or three drinks. So does that have something to do with our bodies changing too, like I can't liquor the same? Yep, absolutely absolutely. And then the thing is, you know, a little bit of red wine is okay, right, not the whole bottle and not the glass that fills up with the whole bottle.
Speaker 2: Yea, the one pass one glass.
Speaker 1: Is a whole bottle. No, we're not doing that, but a little bit of red wine. And you know, I like whiskey, so I might have Sir Davis a couple of times in the month, and you know that's what I do. I understand what my ninety percent is and understanding that. I also understand little things in my body that tells me, you know what you're getting out of You're getting out of parameters. So if my if my legs, my thighs start like touching each other a little bit, I'm like, I'm out of parameters, so i run out live. My guys have never not touched like I've touched it. I might just see you know well you and you just got to know. I can tell when I gain five PM, like I know when i'm I know my exact weight because I understand my body and like you said, you travel a lot, so we retain a lot of water and there's some retention there, right, so it takes a good forty five days to get that water just to get that water weight off, and you have to be very intentional about that, so you know, hydrating sometimes a little apple sided vinegar. Sometimes I'll do a little bit of castoil, olive oil. You know, just to make sure that I'm keeping my gud clean healthy is really important, So I do, heir, and I what made me bring this conversation too, like want to have this conversation is so my clients are aging with me, and a lot of them are in their late thirties, early forties to fifties. I don't have that many twenty somethings anymore. I have some, but not that many. And I kept hearing the conversation about perimenopause perimenopause, and I had one of my clients particularly say that she was concerned because her vagina is dry now. She's like, I don't know, Like I used to be pouring a glass of water out of me, and now it's like a Sahara desert, like it's tumbleweed's rolling by when I pulled my kuchie out. Is there something that people could write? Is it wild wild watts? Is there something because women can do or eat? She's like, I'm drinking water, I drink hell of water. I'm eating fruit. Is there something that we could do or something that women can take to make sure that their vagina they keep it their wetness as long as possible when they're going through these changes. Yeah, so I will say always green leafy vegetables are very important, right, So making sure that you're keeping your vitamin D, your iron levels up as well as they're going to have what we call adaptogens and nutrients that are going to help you keep that collagen sometimes some vital estrogens and things like that. But then also she can utilize basic things some olive oil, a little bit of olive oil, daba olive oil or coconut oil in the area and the vaginal area could be very helpful. There's also products that kind of like there's a product call raplens, but essentially that is a lubricant she can use. But I'll be honest with you, estrogen based products are like the best thing that you can use. If you're okay with using estrogen, place it in your vagina, small amount in your vagina a couple times a week, and it will help you significantly. Important thing though, if you're finding that you're using estrogen, especially you're taking it by mouth or you have it on a patch, or you're even using it in your vagina like every single day, then we need to talk about if you still have a uterus using the progesterone as well, because we want to protect against that individual cancer that we talked about. Mm. Yeah, I started taking Maca. You take maca? Yes? Good? Yeah? Oh absolutely helps with the libido. Yes, ma'am. Yes, Ostragonda maca what people, let's.
Speaker 2: Go, it's like a like a Peruvian like root. Is a plant like ginger like root. Yeah, but it comes and it tast really good too. It tastes like a like a like a nut. So if you put it like in a in a smoothie or something like that, it has like a peanut buttery flavor. It's real good.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then so I remember when I was having, you know, being at work and everything all the time, when I was breastfeeding my child. Finnagreek was another one. And finnagreek is another plant based supplement that you can use to help you moisturize, right, and it helps you produce milk, so that that's another type of thing that milk fits sole finigreed though, So though, there's if you work with an integrated specialist or a natural path they'll be able to give you more options in regards to more plant based therapies rather than just you know, estrogen is the only thing you can use.
Speaker 2: In your organization. Is that what you push towards more the holistic you know, because in the medical industry they want to push medicine. It's pharmacia Okay, that's the real, real witchcraft as far as I'm concerned. Right, So they push more you know, pharmaceutical medication as opposed to the organic. There's really not a lot of doctors out there that you know. I was just at the doctor recently and I told her I do black seed oil for my blood pressure, and you know, she immediately went into, well, you know, the studies and all this other you know, trying to deter you from doing more alternatives. So that is that what you lean more towards as opposed to like traditional medicine.
Speaker 1: Right, So I'm about all of it, right. I try to make sure that people know their options, whether they are non pharmaceutical or pharmaceutical. But I also try to make sure that people understand the risk benefits of each because if we're talking about it, you know, many things are plant based, even if they are FDA approved or through the pharmacy, many hands are plant based. If you're compounding something then cassable. At a lot of times you're using some type of plant plant based. So I think it's really important, and I'll be honest with you. In traditional medicine, they don't teach this portion of supplements plant based medications or therapies, So which had come in that y'all the real year. So that's why it's important. Like I was saying, you know, look behind the name and say, are you a functional medicine physician? Have you gotten your naturopathic training, whether it's a certification or your actual natural pactic doctor? And how do you put both of those things together? What are my alternatives besides using what I can get from former pharmacy. So give me non pharmacy and pharmacy associated therapies that can be useful for me. I believe in acupuncture, chiropractic work, like I've done all these things, so I absolutely know that I don't have to be in pain. Excuse me, I don't have to take pain medications to resolve my pain. There's other options for it as well. The pain, not my pain, the.
Speaker 2: Pain, So let's not take that in our Let's not take that in our bodies, right right.
Speaker 1: So I feel like I've always had a healthy sexual appetite, but it feels like since I turned forty, Like, man, I'm like, who's calling my phone? Who's calling my phone?
Speaker 2: Like I wake it up?
Speaker 1: I'm like horny, Like all the time is that like something that happens before Parry. Is that like normal or is it? It is? So? I remember I told you in perimenopause, your hormones are doing this right, so you're going through this wax and way, so you're really feeling so And also I told you perimenopause and many is just like puberty, and what happened in puberty You found yourself. You found all of that hotness. So that's one of the things that you can actually experience. And that's why you gotta be careful taking certain things like maca. Right, you take maca, you go, you might elevate or take it like it helps men's libido. Jim, Yeah, absolutely, So I'm going through I shouldn't take no moca right now because I might just have to be chandelier if I take some of that shit. I feel like, yeah, you have to be careful. You have to be careful about it. And so that's why having that personal line conversation and say, Okay, what symptoms are you experiencing and what do what do you want to temper or what do you want to improve? I think the biggest thing about you know, anything that you decide to take you should be taking it because it's supplementing what is going on in your body. So, like you said, you might not need maca root, but you might need something to help you with stress or calm me down. So you know that's something, and that's a different opportunity for you. I will say, somebody asked me, do I have to take hormone replacement therapy estrogen replacement therapy progesterone if you still be uterus? And I will say that the number one killer of women, especially black women's cardiovascular disease point blank, hypertension, stroke, arrhythmius. Right, And so what has been found is that the estrogen the replacement is reducing the cardiovascular disease. Now, you got to do all the other things too. So if you so choose not to take the replacement, then you got you really got to do all the other things when we talk about the stress reduction, the exercise, the nutrition, and the sleeps, and we really need to get our sleep, ladies. I mean, there is nothing wrong with sleeping.
Speaker 2: I love down. Okay, I keep staying making T shirts that say that I love to Later, I get my sleep. I don't know if it's always RESTful, though, yes, I do have hot flashes at night. Sometimes I'd be hot as hell at night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so those are the hormonal change wets talking about. But back to your question about the sex. If you're feeling hot and horny, I think it's okay. I mean, I will say when I was in my early forty that was the best time of my life. Baby. I was like this, I've been I've been missing this. I didn't you know I was. I was away from my husband, I was deployed when I was pregnant with my child, so I didn't get like that, like pregnancy sex that everybody was talking about. I didn't get all of that. But Babe, when I turned forty, it was on the topic. It's crazy. It feels like I'm crazy right now. It's great, it's wonderful. And bursic got me going so crazy right now.
Speaker 2: Yes, that I definitely be horny. Man, I don't want it to stop, though.
Speaker 1: I don't, so that's why we have no time.
Speaker 2: I don't wanted to stop.
Speaker 1: Not okay, That's why we're having this conversation so that we can prevent it from stopping.
Speaker 2: My doctor asked me the other day if I still get a period, I'm like, yes, the fuck I dude, I'm happy about it. I need to see my shit every month.
Speaker 1: And it's really important to track yourself, right. People used to track their periods so they can see whether or not they could get pregnant. Are they pregnant, that whole thing. But it's still important to track your cycle as you're going through this. And it's not just tracking the period, is tracking the symptoms associated with the cycles. So remember your cycle is every twenty one to thirty days. That's a cycle. The period is just the mysteration. That's just a certain part. But you know you're going to feel you know, more loving and accepting at some part in your cycle, and other times you'd be like, get off of me, you know, I don't want to be bothered. So it's really important to understand that and see how many times you are feeling that through the day, because then you can start tracking your perimenopausal symptoms into menopause. What conversation should mothers and daughters be having about menopause that most of us aren't all of this because you know your children are going to experience your menopause, probably they're going to notice something that's changing faster than you notice the change in yourself. So having these conversations with your boys and girls or however they identify, and making sure that you're having these conversations to say, you know, this is the menstrual cycle, this is menc's, this is what happens when you're in your twenties to thirties. Is what happens in your thirties and forties, forties and fifties beyond. But in order to have those conversations, we need to be educated about those conversations, which is why I love coming on podcasts. This is why I love having corporate sessions. So we provide six corporate sessions to corporations organizations to improve women health in their organization, and then we do the individual discussions as well.
Speaker 2: So you're so ko koe, right, consult it's not just for corporations. Individuals can also.
Speaker 1: Right, So the corporations. So that's why we created Viva Life SPF ME, which is the program that's more like having the group conversation individually based, and that's where you'll get the podcast, the webinars and the coaching sessions, right. But the corporate sessions are when we go in we try to improve health inequities for different healthcare plans as well as if we're like if I'm at Boeing or something or another corporation, then we're working with the women on the top five diseases that are happening. We're educating them so that they have a health plan. Well, what do I talk to my physician or practitioner about so that I can actually get the benefit out of this healthcare plan instead of just like paying this, you know, one hundred to one thousand dollars two thousand dollars a month.
Speaker 2: Yeah and yees. Right now is like open enrollment, and I cannot stand it. I don't know what the hell is going on half the time.
Speaker 1: I know it's hard to figure it out. It's hard to figure it out to do those comparisons. But you know what go on chat GPT put in your information and say what health care plan is best for me? Yeah? And you know this is so off topic.
Speaker 2: I don't be fucking with CHATGBT like that because I feel like it starts like then tracking you, because it's some stuff in there that I'm like, why are you suggesting this to me? This has nothing to do with what I just asked you about. So they have all your conversations and they know you now they.
Speaker 1: Do, so there's a way for you to turn off. There's a way to turn off the learning piece that they can't get those conversations out into like everybody's else's learning piece. Right. But there's a great person her name is Alicia Little. She teaches AI and she will give you all the tips, tricks and the tools for it. But I wouldn't be afraid of it. I mean, you know, I'm prior military, right, I retired from the military, babe chat GBT and got nothing on what the henilitary has already been doing already know. So it's it's just one of those things. It has been out for thirty years. Yeah, So it's just one of those things like either you get ahead of it or it gets ahead of you. Either you are the food or you become the farmer. So just decide where you want to be with.
Speaker 2: That, I understand. Yep.
Speaker 1: All right, is there anything that you want to tell our listeners that they need to know about Perry? That there is imperative that they understand about Perry mendoopause and menopause before you go. Absolutely, so, Perry menopause. Menopause, it's going to happen, so don't be afraid of it happening. Be educated, understand it. Track your cycles, track your mencies, track your symptoms. Talk to your family. We should know our family histories and if you're adopted, you know, try to figure out genetically what's going on. But have these conversations. Do not be afraid of the change, and reach out to your subject matter experts that you know, that's what we do. We trained in this, and those subject matter experts don't have to be you know, older. Everybody you know older doesn't know. Everybody that says O, B G, I N actually doesn't know. But make sure you find out those resources that you can really get that that conversation that is specific towards you. Do not be afraid of this. It can be the best time of your life as well and period.
Speaker 2: Basically, reach out to Koe Medical Consulting.
Speaker 1: Okay, thank you, so yeah doctor Kelly om D D r K E L L y O m D dot com. If you want to join Viva Life or get some consulting services. I'm definitely going to reach out. I want to do and I need to change how I'm living because I love it. I eat bacon, A piece of bacon. Hate to see me coming. I threw it. Now, well, I definitely need to make some lifestyle changes, all right, So we have a segment called the Dumb Bitch Story. I told you a little bit about it. So we're gonna have a break, and when we come back, I want you to share a story with us. All right, guys, we are back, and doctor Kelly has her story. Go ahead, alrighty, So when you first told me this, I was like, I mean, I ain't never been a right, right no virgo. I almost got to ask that, what's your son? I'm a virgo born on set. Some reports the damn story tell a lie? Are you pimp in your whole life? Virgoals are? I was like, yeah, never got played a virgo.
Speaker 2: They somebody kind of twisted to its always in their favor.
Speaker 1: Even though I was on the phone, you was crying about it. But okay, two years lady, like didn't happen.
Speaker 2: You got it? Go ahead, Brighton and I at that a September the fourth Urgo as well.
Speaker 1: So that's a whole other level. But my story is I remember when I was in college, right and I didn't have a car, I didn't have no money, whatever the case may be. And this guy said, you know, I want to take you out. But I wasn't the type of person that was giving out nothing. Okay, so you wasn't. You weren't getting anything if you weren't in a long term relationship with me and he we had set up to have go on a date and I'm excited, I'm dressed, ready, the whole thing. I'm looking out the window, you know, wait for him to call to say he was downstairs so I can come out my dorm room. And the call never came, and I was like, what just happened? And so maybe a thirty six hours later, I get a phone call like, oh hey, you know, you know, some things came up. And I was like, I was like, is your mom said right just passed away? Did you get in a car accident? And he was like no, noa NOA. I was like okay, and he's like, so when you want me to pick you up? I was like never click. So that was my that was my story. And I got stood up for a date and that never happened again. I just needed to make sure that you know, he wasn't dead somewhere, his mama didn't die, because if he told me that, I might have you know my name. So you never ever got you never even found out why he missed the date. You ain't care why virgos, These virgos boys.
Speaker 2: It's not a dumb bitch story.
Speaker 1: Now. If you would have said, day, yeah, he called again.
Speaker 2: Three weeks and three more weeks later then and I'm going out with him again, then that's dumb bitch. That was the dumbest I've ever been. But you know I will I will tell you why. No, I'll tell you why. I'll tell you why.
Speaker 1: It's because I grew up with you know, my brothers, my god brothers. They I used to listen to my brothers roll game on girls all the time. They got shoes, clothes, cars, whatever, and they would be like, wash this, and they said, don't ever be a chicken head. But who's the chicken head? And really, unwitches lily guy had ship. So that's that's what that's what they told me, and so I listened. I listened the whole time. And I work in a male dominated environment right my whole life. I'm a surgeon. I'm a doctor, I'm in then I was in the Navy for twenty six years. I was like, yeah, y'all not getting me.
Speaker 2: I feel you.
Speaker 1: No, I'm here for that. But that was like not a dumbest story. I thought about this all night too, that one time. That one nigga like what had this big card? Like when? Because when I told her, She's like, yeah, I've never even played. I don't know what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: I'm like, come up with you.
Speaker 1: Why do you have another one? And I'm still like a salty about it. But you know, I invested in a friend's company and I looked at all the financials and everything like that. I'm still waiting for my money. So if that's another one, that could be another one that's will be very careful about your investments, and especially if you're trying to help a friend out and see them grow, and you know, in this day and age when everybody's like, you know, support black businesses and all that other stuff. Naboo, I need to see your financials, your tax reports. I need to see like open them books everything, open the books. So that would be another another dB story. A DVS. We are you dating that person? No, No, we just have been friends for like over twenty years. Yeah, you don't count.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Anytime money and somebody owe me some money, I might have been a dumb bitch giving you my money.
Speaker 1: I might have been Yeah, yeah that was the that was the DBS. That that's another big DBS. Now this younger one. That was a young DBS. This older one. I probably should have, you know, thought a little bit harder and listened to you trying to help though, So that don't mean well I don't have them. I'm a Bergo born on September or fourth.
Speaker 2: I'm urgalarizing, and I definitely not got played a couple of times in life, man, definitely. Okay, I'm about to take the nigga on vacation on Monday, so I rooby have a dumb bitch story for y'all week. We'll see, Hey, nigga be in the bathroom all the time.
Speaker 1: I think, Kelly, I haven't joined Viva Life five yet. Come on through. We'll help you not be a d d S. All right, all right, one more time. Tell everybody they where they can find you, where they can follow you on social media, plug all your things. Oh thank you so much.
Speaker 2: So I'm doctor Kelly OMZ and you can find me www dot d r K E L L y O m D dot com if you go there, Instagram doctor Kelly Omd as well as Facebook, Instagram, Viva Life SPF me. So just go to the website, click all the little buttons and you'll find me. All right, thank you so much, doctor Kelly.
Speaker 1: Fun. This is end. I got a lot of information that I needed, so thank you so so very much. Absolutely, I have fun too, thanks for bringing out You know, the virgos can be real serious, so thank you for bringing out the laughter and me as well. Good you get into the bag.
Speaker 2: That's one thing about it.
Speaker 1: Virgo boy, they go ahead and get I'm gonna get that bag.
Speaker 2: Yeah all right, y'all. If you enjoy this episode, y'all, tune in every Thursday on the iHeartRadio app or wherever the fuck you get excuse me, where the f you get your podcasts at your co hosts aj Holiday.
Speaker 1: Two point oh on instagrams. Kick It Tam, y'all, It's official Tam Bam on Instagram, y'all. Follow me there, y'all. Follow We Talk Back podcast on Instagram, y'all. I love y'all so much and I appreciate y'all for tuning in every week. I can't wait to see you next week. Come back y'all, Remember speak.
Speaker 2: Now and never hold that Nigga Pieri.
Speaker 1: And never stop popping that peep Bye. We Talk Back podcast is the production of iHeart Radio. Visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. Thanks for listening and celebrating five years of the Black Effect podcast network with us. Keep following because the next five years are about to be even big. The