Speaker 1: Welcome to the Solid Verbal Hell that for me, I'm a man, I'm forty. I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy. You want to be happy for a day? Edo State is that woo woom? And Dan and Tye welcome back to the Solid Rubber boys and girls.
Speaker 2: My name is ty Hildebrandt. You will hear from Dan Rubinstein momentarily because this is another clip from College Football Thursdays this week on Tuesday. You know, we figured you had better things to do this coming Thursday. Happy Thanksgiving to one and all. This is a fun show. We did it early courtesy of our friends over at Netflix. We also had a special guest, Paul Verzi, who has a comedy special right now out on Netflix called Nocturnal Admissions, really funny stuff. He's a big football fan. He's been talking about college football on a bunch of programs you've heard before.
Speaker 1: Paul Stop Spy talks.
Speaker 2: A little college ball with us here in just a few moments. Again, don't forget to go on out to Solid Giveaway dot com.
Speaker 1: As you know, end of the week.
Speaker 2: We're giving away a PS five and celebration of the new podcast that we dropped on Tuesday morning. The show that Dan does with our good friend Adam Aman called Extra Nuggets. Solid Giveaway dot Com again is where you can go and enter to win. Of course, our website is always solid Verbal dot com. You can go there and subscribe to the show if you are new here. Without further ado, here's part of our conversation with Paul Verzi. We don't talk to you before Thanksgiving. Have a good one, stay solid, enjoy Robber. We thought it would be apt to bring on somebody who could perhaps lighten the mood a little bit here on the program This Evening. This gentleman headlines clubs and theaters across North America. Hosts two weekly podcasts, The Versey Effect and of Course Anything Better, which he co hosts with Bill Burr. May have heard of him. Both podcasts are on the All Things Comedy Network. Paul Versey also has an hour long special called Nocturnal Admissions, which is funny as hell. Paul, Welcome to the show man. How are you tonight, Oh.
Speaker 1: Good man, how are you? Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: We are doing well. We are doing well. I hope we didn't depress you too much with all that Alabama talk. I hope that's cool, you know what.
Speaker 3: It started to go on a little past ten after and I'm like, if these guys start talking.
Speaker 1: About bowling Green and ball State Tuesday night Mac talk, Yeah, that's a lot. Yeah.
Speaker 3: If the bowling Green ball State come in. I was like, all right, these guys really really watched this sport.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Paul Versey has dropped out of the chat. Thank you was here momentarily. Do you have a team?
Speaker 1: Paul?
Speaker 2: Who's your team? Do you have a team?
Speaker 1: You know, it's weird because growing up in the New York area.
Speaker 3: College college sports, right, it's tough because you got Syracuse here, you have Rutgers.
Speaker 1: And you have Yukon, but they're never it hasn't been like a bit.
Speaker 3: It's not really a big college town really, I guess, you know.
Speaker 1: But being a comic, we go to a big game every year.
Speaker 3: So I've been to like we were in death Val we saw LSU Alabama at LSU one year. Then we went to Notre Dame USC under the lights in South Bend, which was my favorite.
Speaker 1: You know, we went to the big House.
Speaker 3: So I love watching all of these teams, but I don't like the Alabama fans. Loafers and khakis, and you know that they have that like, oh, we're Alabama, but we're also preppy. And I also got into it with a guy after a after a game, so Alabama.
Speaker 1: I like to see between Nick Saban and that guy. I like to see them in pain.
Speaker 4: So what what campuses are on your list? Obviously you're on the road a good deal, and what campuses have stood out? What experiences be it tailgating, be it stadium, be it fans that actually are like, oh, I could have seen myself going to Wisconsin and having a great time. I could have seen myself going to Tennessee or Washington or Texas. Like what has stood out to you from your college football travels.
Speaker 3: That's a great question. You know, the big house at Michigan, tailgating, tailgating on that golf course. Yeah, and it, dude, that was That was one I would say that. I would say Michigan, Notre Dame and were the two that I liked.
Speaker 1: I didn't love.
Speaker 3: I didn't love the swamp Gators, LSU in the sun. The only thing cool, Yeah, the only thing cool about it was I was one of those people in that eighty thousand people whatever it was singing Tom Petty when he passed away.
Speaker 1: The first time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was really really cool but super super hot. And we you know, one of my buddies got into it with this woman who was a fan, and she was drunk. So I always have the drunk memories, which takes away from like, you get that everywhere.
Speaker 1: I guess right, there's always like but you have.
Speaker 3: To I actually factor that in because if you if your fan base has those animals, which all fan bases do, right, Let's be honest, every fan base has has a group of animals and you just have to basically put them into categories and put them like list them from worst of the animals to people that you could deal with. But I do factor that in. And I got to tell you Michigan is up there with some of the best and I and I don't mean bad animals, I mean great.
Speaker 4: So what is what is your experience either on the road because sometimes it's can be difficult to catch big games or at home watching big games. Do you just skew towards watching those bigger matchups? Do you skew towards a conference like I like watching big Big ten matchups or SEC or PAC twelve, like what is your what is your viewing preference?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess, I guess like the big ones. Like like I I'm definitely more of an NFL fan, but I've gotten into college football a lot more in the past five six years. So like like this week coming up, Rivalry week, I'm like, I'm in. I'm like really really locked in. Oh another great one.
Speaker 1: I should have said this. We went to Penn State.
Speaker 3: We went to Penn State last year and that was I mean, they did play ball state, so it was kind of like.
Speaker 1: You know, you said no State. I know, yeah, I know, yeah, but let's let's be honest.
Speaker 3: Any school that David Letterman goes to is probably not going to be huge on a huge football school. But Penn State was a great atmosphere too. But yeah, I would say like the big ones. I really get excited for the big ones and ones where you know, like this Michigan Ohio.
Speaker 1: State coming up? You got what is it? It's a two and of three? Right, yep? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So like that, I mean, and I and I have friends on both sides, and like I've heard like when I listened to them talk like how it's light dude, It's like disturbing. I'm not even joking, Like I'm not even trying to be funny, like it's I have I have a friend who said, like it like is their year, like if if Michigan wins, or I have friends that are like you don't understand, like it changes the dynamic of our home through the holidays.
Speaker 1: I'm just going like you people like that's a little.
Speaker 3: I mean, let's be honest, if it changes your holidays, you know this therapy's got to be dude, you got children, Like that's a bigger thing than a football game, I think. I mean, Jesus, is how much different is it? And so you said you're more into NFL than college, which is the thing I mean. And we talked to Chris and Stefano he was on our show last week also in the same boat. Grew up in the city, right, and we asked them the question who's the one true team of New York City? And there's not a great answer for that. You know, you could ask a thousand people to give you a thousand different answers, But what was your experience like growing up in the city with respect to college, Because as I told Chris, like I.
Speaker 2: Know people from Philly. I know people from New York, they grew up in the city. To them, college sports really like didn't exist.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, it's funny you said that because I was actually in London performing and I brought my family and I went to see the Giants Packers in London, and I went to concessions and to go to the bathroom. Me and my son got up and I actually saw christ to Stefano going to the bathroom as well. He was there too, So me and him are like this New York like lunatic sports fan. But yeah, I would say, like I wish that the NFL had the enthusiasm of college you know, when you go to these places, man, and like, you know, we joke around and call these people all animals, and they're out there like puke and we're joking around because we actually talked, like, dude, this is amazing to have not only one hundred thousand people in the building going absolutely nuts and living or dying with every play, which you don't really get with the NFL, you know, and then you have all the people outside the building that are either watching it on TVs and tailgating. So growing up in New York, we didn't really didn't even have that because you just had you know, these guys, a lot of these guys are prima donnas. A lot of these guys are making you know, all this money, millions of dollars, and not everything. You know, the college game matters a little bit more.
Speaker 1: That's kind of what's disappointing. That's why I that's the thing about college that I think.
Speaker 3: Will always have it over the pros is that like, like this week is like all of this guy's Super Bowls, you know, and you're going to see it in every game where the NFL you're not seeing that. Dude, You're not seeing a team do that every week, week in and week out.
Speaker 2: I don't think so I need some advice from you.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: The segment that we're going to do in a little bit here is called TI versus the World. It's where I give the world here at least our little universe or our vacuum sealed college football universe. Five picks for the week. Over the last three weeks, I'm oh for fifteen, Paul, I have not.
Speaker 4: Got against the spread against US High as the surest picker in America.
Speaker 2: I am quite literally oh for fifteen so, yeah, I know you're a sports fan. I know you've you know, obviously talked NFL for a couple long time. Do you have any like can you help me out of this? Because I watch your comedy Spence, you seemingly have pretty good advice, a good sense for like just life in general.
Speaker 1: I need help. I need help. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, listen, this is the one thing that people don't do in sports because I.
Speaker 1: Don't think enough. Now listen, last year I beat the book.
Speaker 3: Me and me and Bill Burr picked four games every week against the book for eighteen weeks. We both beat the book against you know, against the spread. This year, right now, I'm one game under. I was eight under three weeks ago. And I'm one game under because I finally realized.
Speaker 1: That the Packers stink.
Speaker 3: All right, So once I realized that Aaron Rodgers in the pack once Aaron Rodgers started playing with his nipples joking r, I said, it's a fight. It's a rap, dude. I knew it was the rap over over. So here's what I think. I think you have to look at trends of teams too, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I lose you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So what I think it is is it's yes, it's easy to go, it's easy to say. Ah, you know, Ohio State their number two, Michigan's number three. It's in Ohio State. Gun to my head, I think Ohio State. But what's the pattern of this game? And the pattern of this.
Speaker 1: Game is usually Ohio State wins, especially under Harbor.
Speaker 3: Harbor ended up getting one recently. Okay, and now you have a momentum thing. Now you have Michigan loved that feeling and wants it again. But then you have Ohio State, who dominated, and now they got that bad taste in their mouth, which means this is gonna be really good.
Speaker 1: But I think I think, like my how I would trend with it and listen.
Speaker 3: I could be wrong because it's not the NFL, but I think Michigan's gonna win.
Speaker 1: I think Michigan's gonna win a game. I just I just have that feeling.
Speaker 3: So sometimes if you and plus you're oh for fifteen, dude, so you could throw a dart, I mean, you could have a monkey throw a dart at the wall, and you're gonna.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be the same, right if you if you're over.
Speaker 2: Listen, I will take anybody with halfway reasoned logic, Paul, That's where I'm at with this because what I've been trying is not working.
Speaker 1: No, listen, I gotta I'm not gonna lie to you, dude.
Speaker 3: I've been in slumps, oh for fifteen is that's yeah, that's where it's like, you need you need one. But here's the thing, buddy, once you get that one, you're off and running. Dude, you're gonna you just gotta get off. You just got to get one. And what I would do is I would basically just go against your gut.
Speaker 2: Well, that's what I've been saying, you know, last for a good long time. We've been doing the show for fifteen years. I used to joke all the time about the reverse jinks, the power of the reverse jinks. So I'm a Notre Dame fan, and I would pick against Notre Dame every game, every game on purpose. The folks who listened carefully knew I was doing that on purpose, but it, you know, it sort of worked, mostly didn't pretty much a superstition, and then I stopped doing it, and suddenly I'm oh, for fifteen so maybe it's time to get back to those old ways.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean look, I think I was definitely somebody who's superstitious.
Speaker 1: And then I just realized that it's completely ridiculous.
Speaker 3: And I'm not trying to be disrespectful, but because I did it too forever, it's do you understand how crazy and the lunacy of thinking that some like one person make doing one thing.
Speaker 1: Is going to change everything.
Speaker 3: I was at the Yankee game when Judge was going through his run right and we got there, like the last home game, and if he hits this, and we're on left field like where where he hits them, and I literally I was just looking up and I go, as the game's going on, Judge's not hitting one, and I look and I realize the picture's got a no hitter through five, five or six. And I just looked at my buddy and I didn't say it. I wasn't a dick that said it, but you know, because I wasn't gonna be the left But I looked at my buddy and I.
Speaker 1: Go, hey, man, when you see the scoreboard, you see what's going on right now. That's all I said. And my buddy just looked at me. He just goes, well there you go, and I go, no, no, I didn't even say it.
Speaker 3: I didn't even say And then I'm thinking to myself, does a comedian sitting in left field is going to change the outcome of what's really happening in the world. It's crazy, So don't worry about Notre Dame with your gut or like as far as just go against Sometimes you got to go against what you think.
Speaker 1: Sometimes you gotta go and.
Speaker 3: You go against the spread, right, you go against the spread, or you just go nuts spread.
Speaker 1: Yeah, dude, if you're going against the spread, I would say, do you do you always bet with your heart?
Speaker 3: Or are there times where you're just like You're just like, no, Notre Dame is just not as good as this tea. Are you willing as a Notre Dame fan to go Notre Dame is gonna get kicked out of him today?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh yeah, of course?
Speaker 3: Okay, good, yeah, because those are those people I can't even talk to, you know, those people that those people you can't even talk to because.
Speaker 1: They always find a way to think like this is the week.
Speaker 3: Like I had a feeling, my giants we're gonna lose to the Lions this week, and they did. And I predicted on rich Isisen. You know what I actually, can I talk a little more? I gotta tell you something cool, Okay. I went on Rich Iison show before the season. I went in August and he said, all right, Paul Versey, we're going to go down the list of your giants and you're gonna give me every game winner, loss. Are the Giants up until right now? Fellas, up until this minute, right now? And they did it on Good Morning Football. They showed it.
Speaker 1: I'm one wrong.
Speaker 3: I got Week three wrong. I thought we were going to lose to Carolina. I went there with my family. We ended up pulling it out every single game from week one till right now, including London, including the Lions. Every game I got right, and I ultimately I had them going nine and eight and I don't know what that's going, but it was just completely took my heart away from it completely because I know my giants and when I was talking about trends before, and it's the same thing with college football. I know my Giants can lose to the Lions at home, but then the next week go you know, Monday night football in the most hostile environment against a team like the Bills, and it's a game. So when you know your team like that, you know, I don't know, Notre Dame like that, but that's kind of what I've been doing.
Speaker 1: And if you're oh for fifteen, if you think about it like that, you'll get at it. It's only up from oh for fifteen.
Speaker 2: So you're telling me you thought the Giants were going to go seven to three.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had, I had the Giants. I had the Giants five and three.
Speaker 3: I had the Giants five and three after week eight, which I was wrong. I was off by one. Yeah, if you have it, if you actually you can YouTube. Any of the listeners too, can YouTube Paul Versey richis and makes Giants predictions in August.
Speaker 1: I've picked every single game till now except week three. Now listen. Obviously some of that, obviously, some of that is.
Speaker 3: Luck, but a lot of it was how the Giants, you know, perform. And I have friends who know Michigan well, like the Wolverine they've been moving. They're like, oh, this is how we do against this team. Yeah, you know, they should blow like last week, they should have blown out of Illinois, right, and it was just I mean it was but they should have.
Speaker 1: It should have been what was the final score of that game, by the way.
Speaker 2: They kicked a field goal to win it at the end nineteen seventeen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, that shouldn't be right. I mean, I don't like I don't think that that game. Yeah, and people, but I.
Speaker 3: Talked to somebody who was a diehard Wolverine fan and they go, I don't know, I don't like this. This is this is a game we get trapped in and we lose just because they know the tendencies.
Speaker 1: I really believe that.
Speaker 3: I also think teams match up really good, match up really good against certain teams, like you've seen, you know, you've seen a team that's clearly better, but for some reason, whether it's an offensive or defensive coordinator, they just kind of figure out a system against that particular quarterback and.
Speaker 1: The game just doesn't go the way you thought that it would go.
Speaker 3: And obviously that's why the odds makers are as you know what they how good they are.
Speaker 4: You know, so your hearts with the Giants, But is there a college team not that you're a fan of when you mentioned really enjoying Michigan and Notre Dame, But is there a soft spot team because of a coach? Because of a uniform, because of a stadium, because of a style of play. Do you have a soft spot over the years, You're like, I always really like watching this team play, and I hope for good things, and I sort of go out of my way to see how they're doing well.
Speaker 3: You know, this is a tricky one, and I don't want to you know, this is the thing, Okay, before all the before all of the crazy San Dusky, Joe paternal you know, little Italian, little Italian guy running out.
Speaker 1: At like eighty with bad knees. How do you not root for that?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 3: Then that and I would always be like and what I loved was how defiant he was when they were like, Joe, it's time to hang him up, and he was.
Speaker 1: Just like he just to hear, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. He pretended not to hear.
Speaker 3: Then he bought himself a year by saying he's not going to be on the sidelines, He's going to be up in the box. Sarahcuse, I remember I had a buddy I went to high school with rest his soul, he's he ended up passing away, but he ended up getting a rye and he played with Donovan McNabb at Syracuse.
Speaker 1: Wow, So that was yeah.
Speaker 3: That was something that you know, I was really kind of into that, you know, watching them, but then the program and it's also hard to because they don't really showcase programs that aren't doing well too here, right like you know, and then and then who was the guy at Chiano and Rutgers all of a sudden, Oh the Scarlet Knights were you know, yeah, they're gonna they're they're gonna be a program.
Speaker 1: And then that kind of dipped. So every time New Yorkers.
Speaker 3: Got like excited and we're like, oh, this is it, dude, maybe we can and then you're just like who they lose to?
Speaker 1: And then it's over, you know, just like what. So, yeah, it's been it's been hard.
Speaker 3: You know. We we don't live far from Yukon either, so I would love to take my kids to to that and see something like that. But my son, now, my son Lucas is really really big on Kentucky and Kentucky's football program is starting to really you know, make some noise and he loves the basketball.
Speaker 1: But now because he used to like LSU.
Speaker 3: And then I forgot something happened where he just really just jumped on Kentucky.
Speaker 1: So we're going to be watching the Kentucky football games. He loves everybody that comes out of.
Speaker 3: Kentucky, whether NBA or NFL, so he loves watching those games too, and he wants to go to the University of Kentucky. So I can tell you guys this, if my son lucas and he's got the grades for it, the kid I don't know where the kid who's his parents?
Speaker 1: Because this kid gets this.
Speaker 3: My son has run the table with either honor roll or high honor roll every quarter of junior high school till now, and and well he gets paid.
Speaker 1: That's how what I do. You want advice for parenting, you want that, Here's what you do. Cash.
Speaker 3: Bribe your children with cash. Okay, I've bribed my daughter at a soccer game. She wanted an iPhone. Her team sucked.
Speaker 1: They had no goals all year, absolutely sucked.
Speaker 3: We drove an hour in the morning at six o'clock and she's like, Daddy, get me. And I said, okay, you want you guys have no goals, you suck. You got a goal, you could get an iPhone? Eleven swear to God. After halftime, she gets a goal and all the parents knew the place explodes, and you know what, I took her to the store and I got her one. So I told my son, you want to go, you want to go to University of Kentucky. You get on a roll everything and and I'll throw you some cash. So I've been throwing him cash if he goes to UK. That's where that's going to be our team. And me and my wife were even going to buy a house down there, and we're gonna jump all the way into with being.
Speaker 1: A Kentucky fan. So that's kind of what we're hoping right now. That will be our team.
Speaker 4: Secret cash bribes for athletic performance. It sounds like college football is calling your name.
Speaker 1: You're right, dude, dude right, I'm telling I get it. I get it, and you know, but I totally am with that. And dude, I gotta tell you something.
Speaker 3: She went she had a little extra, Yeah, she had a little extra. You know, we were playing I don't know if you guys golf at all, but my son we were playing and my son was just dragging ass, tired, and he's walking with his friend who's going to actually get a college scholarship.
Speaker 1: And I'm just like Lucas, how came you not into this?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 1: Like we're walking, it's a beautiful time. I'm tired. I don't want to go, buddy.
Speaker 3: And then we came up to a part three and I said, all right, look dude, I go. He's like, I go, you want those Kyrie irvns sneakers And he was like yeah, and I got it, and you got a part as whole.
Speaker 1: I swear to you. I swear to you, guys. I'm not saying this free show because I told you my daughter got the phone. He parted and I got him Kyrie irvans. So it's like, it works. It works now.
Speaker 3: I'm not saying it's the most ethical, but you know, the kid got Kyrie's, she got a phone, and good things happen and it builds the confidence.
Speaker 2: Now and you're a man of your work too.
Speaker 4: You're you're building a ready for yourself, a college booster waiting to happen. Yeah right, yeah, hundred dollar handshakes all over Lexington, Kentucky.
Speaker 1: Coming soon, I'll be in Lexing to.
Speaker 3: Go No, No, No, come to the charity comedy show and then we'll.
Speaker 1: Talk about school. Paul again.
Speaker 2: He is in clubs the theaters across North America. Check out the comedy special Nocturnal Admissions. Really funny, Paul, honestly, really really funny. My wife and I laughed heartily at Nocturnal Additions. Two podcasts a week, The Versey Effect. Anything Better? Which your co host Bill Burr? Did I miss anything? Is there anything else we need to need to promo here? While we got you?
Speaker 3: Well, I got a big I got a big tour coming up, starting pretty much in January. I'm doing something in Fairfield, Connecticut to middle of December, but after that, I'm going to be on tour all the major cities across the country in twenty twenty three starting in January.
Speaker 1: You could go to Paulversey dot com for all those tickets.
Speaker 3: But I'll be doing comedy clubs, I'll be I'm getting into some small theaters. I'm gonna be really really excited to be doing this new hour.
Speaker 1: So none of the material that you see.
Speaker 3: On Netflix if you go and watch my special Nocturnal Emissions on Netflix, none of that material will be on this next tour. It's a completely different hour. I think it's even better. I'm really excited about it, and I appreciate you guys having me on to you know, to talk about it.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I'm really excited for football this week. I'm betting a farm on I'm betting a farm on Michigan, so we'll see what happens.
Speaker 2: Well, I have bad news for you, so am I.
Speaker 1: Oh no, dude. That note.
Speaker 2: On that note, Paul, thank you so much for stopping by. Have a good night and be safe out there.
Speaker 1: Thanks guys, all right, thank you,