Speaker 1: You're tuned into Heat Check with Triste Quick on this end of year episode of the Heat Check. It's our special New Year's resolution episode, and I am here to give my resolutions for a whole bunch of players teams from the Atlanta Hawks and the Brooklyn Nets to Rudy Gobert and Grayson Allen.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, we gotta talk about this too.
Speaker 1: The greatest regular season NBA performance of all time maybe from Luka Doncic, probably the second best, but I'll get into that. Also almost twenty twenty three, Nick, So do me a favor and drop that generic ass beat. So twenty twenty two is about to be history. And let's just say it's been a year to forget for a lot of people. Robert Sarver for one, Kyrie Irving another.
Speaker 2: List is probably pretty long for the people who would rather forget that twenty two existed. But we're not here for all that.
Speaker 1: We're here to do something different, and that is to spread positivity and to spread joy, because that is what is my resolution personally for twenty twenty three. And with the new year comes a whole bunch of new opportunities, new opportunities to be better, new opportunities to be nicer, and that is why we'll call this episode and end this episode with our annual NBA New Year's Resolutions, where we peer into the crystal ball and divvy out resolutions for players and teams that could, let's face it, use a little positivity right now. But before we get into that, let's go over some of the recent news that's been popping around the league.
Speaker 2: We have to do it. We have to talk about this Dallas with Luca Doncic. Oh my god, I folks, I was at dinner.
Speaker 1: Did you think like it would have made any sense to cancel dinner plans to watch the Dallas Mavericks take on the New York Knicks. Did anybody think that they needed to stop everything in their life for that game?
Speaker 2: No? I didn't. So I didn't get to see Lucas game.
Speaker 1: It's a confession. I didn't see it live. I had to watch it back after the fact. I had to see it on Twitter trending. My phone's blowing up, and you know what, I'm sad. I'm sad about it. I'm gonna live to regret it. I'm gonna know It's one of those where were you moments?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna know.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I was at AOC in Los Angeles, California, eating dinner with a friend when Luca dropped sixty plus twenty one and ten.
Speaker 2: There's you got thoughts.
Speaker 1: You're trying to do some research and you're making that all happen, and then you're doing it on the fly, and all of a sudden you look up and someone else has already had the same take. There's probably nothing worse than that, truthfully, to be a take artist, a flamethrower, or an opinionist. You look up, you research, you prep, you're right, you're about to talk, and then all of a sudden, Nick fucking Right, First Things First comes through and drops one right down on your head.
Speaker 2: So I'm not written Nick right hater.
Speaker 1: I actually like Nick Wright a lot, but damn I did not see Nick Wright coming.
Speaker 2: In and pickpocketing me.
Speaker 1: Like his name is Luka doncic on Luca's take, so what he said was exactly what I wanted to say. Sixty twenty one to ten was a top five regular season performance in the entire history.
Speaker 2: Of the NBA, not just the last generation.
Speaker 1: Since the birth of the NBA, Luca's performance on that night when I was at a random restaurant against the New York Knicks. Was a one of the greatest top five performances ever.
Speaker 3: But I'm going to give you a couple of reasons why Luca's game yesterday is the best game any of us have ever seen. First of all, the context of it. His team's down nine with thirty five seconds left. In the last twenty years, thirteen eight hundred and eighty five teams have been down nine or more with thirty five or less seconds left. You know how many of them won?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 3: One now it was zero. Now it's one second reason. He's the only guy in league history that could have done that, that could put up that. That's that line. It's not just that he's the only guy that has don to sixty twenty ten. He's the only guy that Colt so I had.
Speaker 2: Done all the research.
Speaker 1: Right, Yes, Nick got that zero for thirteen thousand, eight hundred and forty four stat line from Sam Quinn to and now I have to give Nick as props and say, yup, Luca. Luca's performance was one of the best regular season games in nearly twenty years. But before we get deeper into this, Welt Chamberlain holds six out of the ten highest scoring games in history and fifteen of the top twenty five, and he did this mostly before TV, so he is we have to put Well Chamberlain in a category of himself. Someday I'll probably drop a video about this on what everyone gets wrong about his one hundred point game. But not today, folks, I got too much time. I got a reservation in about forty five minutes. So today is about Luca to understand why he did what he did was insane. What are the greatest ras ular season game performances in NBA history? Well, number one, Denver's David Thompson put up seventy three, seven and two on the Pistons on April nineteenth, or on April ninth, nineteen seventy eight, excuse me, on the day of the NBA season. Thompson was once called by Bill Walton the perfect basketball player. He was locked in a battle at that point for the scoring title with George Gervin, so he needed a huge game, and he went out and scored thirty two points in the first quarter, thirteen to fourteen, shooting six or six.
Speaker 2: From the line. The only problem was that it was.
Speaker 1: The final game ever in Detroit's Cobo Arena, and they wanted him to go out a winner, so they legit through the kitchen, sink at him and held him only twenty in the second half the pit.
Speaker 2: This guy could add hundred points.
Speaker 1: The Pistons even managed to pull out a win, and Thompson fell just short of the scoring title despite shooting seventy four percent.
Speaker 2: From the floor.
Speaker 1: Why because George Gervin went off for sixty three on the same day. Insane, unreal, just really something.
Speaker 2: For the masses there.
Speaker 1: On March twenty eight, nineteen ninety, Michael Jordan mj Airness dropped sixty nine nice eighteen and six on the Cavaliers.
Speaker 2: The game's probably the.
Speaker 1: Closest one to Lucas performance because MJ put up eighteen rebounds to go with four steals and a block.
Speaker 2: That's ridiculous.
Speaker 1: More incredible, he went twenty three for twenty seven from the field, and in MJ style, the Bulls ended up really outlasting a good Cavs teams one hundred and seventeen, one hundred and thirteen. Probably the greatest regular season performance of all time, that's what people say. At least I was like four. So do did I do? I remember it off the top? No?
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 1: David Robinson seventy one, fourteen and five on the last day of the nineteen ninety four season. He won the scoring title over Shack. In that game, he faced double and triple teams all night and he still managed to shoot sixty three percent from the field. He scored the first eighteen Spurs points of the game, and uh oh yeah. He ended up winning the scoring title with twenty nine point six points per game because Shaq only had thirty two in that game, So that was a sick performance.
Speaker 2: Ridiculous seventy one points.
Speaker 1: Like seventy one points the next day. Very important day. Probably one of my favorite. I think this is my personal favorite. January twenty second, two thousand and six. Kobe drops eighty one.
Speaker 2: Uugh, let me say it again. Kobe drops eighty one, six and two in forty two minutes of action. What an absurd stat line.
Speaker 1: He was twenty eight for forty six in the field, perfect Kobe non efficient type performance, including going seven for thirteen from three. The craziest thing about this game, though, the Lakers were trailing by eighteen in the third quarter, and from that point on, Kobe put up fifty one points and the Lakers absolutely curb stomped the Raptors, beating them by almost twenty. He had fifty five points in the second half. That is Kobe, you think you have me and you do not have me.
Speaker 2: Bonkers.
Speaker 1: So Luca's crazy stat line twenty one freaking rebounds, I don't know what that is about. And he probably could have twenty assists as well his as we know, he doesn't have a lot of help out there. Spencer did when he hit a couple of huge shots down the stretch. But the fact that Luca put up this number sixty twenty one to ten and.
Speaker 2: They came back, it wasn't just the stat line. Is that they came back.
Speaker 1: And won when they were down nine points with what a minute left to go, thirty seconds left to go, thirty five seconds left, ended up setting the game to overtime. And it's not just that he scored sixty. He had fifty last week. But he scored sixty and had ten assists, and he probably could have had twenty one. Well, like all the Maps, couldn't hit an open shot to save their life.
Speaker 2: He was so good in every aspects of the game. He had two steals, he had one block. It was just disgusting.
Speaker 1: And then the best part about Luca because I love him and he's just so fat and just such a regular guy. You look at him and he's just the most unassuming, insane basketball player. Like all those other players. You look at them, all those other top five performances in the NBA. You look at those guys and you go, yeah, that's an athlete.
Speaker 2: Yeah that guy could put that guy could put seventy one on my head. Not Luca. Look, you look at Luca and you say, uh, is this guy my task rabbit? Is he about to help me move?
Speaker 1: That's Luca, Like, Luca looks like he does need a recovery beer, because that's what he said, I need a recovery beer. And fortunately for all of us, Lasco Brewery immediately jumped on the Luca train started launching their recovery beer addition. In an IG post, they said, for every tired Luca who needs a beer for regeneration, we have.
Speaker 2: Brewed recovery beer. How do they do that so fast? I also need a recovery beer.
Speaker 1: From watching the highlights, I can't imagine what Luca felt in that game. So those are my top five regular season games of all kind of time. Who am I missing? I feel like I'm missing someone, but let me know who