Speaker 1: This is Frosted Tips with Lance Bass and iHeartRadio Podcast. Hello, my little Peanuts, it's me your host, Lance Bass. This is Frosted Tips Part two with j C. Sus Hold and Drew Boo is now joining us. What's up everybody? If you don't know who Drew Boo is from our our past radio shows, you were my producer, co host extraordinaire. You put all the fun games together, which We're gonna play a game with jac in just a few minutes. So catch us up. Drew bo what's been going on?
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm here for your birthday weekend and I'm not gonna waste time talking about myself. I'm gonna get to the fun, all right. I haven't even had a cocktail since I've landed.
Speaker 1: All right, good, I like, I like where your heads at Before we get into the next segment here, I forgot to ask you the Wiltern. You know when we when we performed at the Wiltern at Justin's show, Uh, what were your thoughts? What was that moment like for you? Because I know what it felt like for me, But what what were you thinking when that happened?
Speaker 3: I look, I thought it was I thought It was really really sweet of Justin to call us and and it was so last minute.
Speaker 1: I guess it was, I like, that's with everything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, so but it ended up being a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: Look the the DJs whole setup, it felt like karaoke, you know, it was like and then uh, we got to settle down and literally just a you know, a few people got to hear the new song live, and I thought that that was really neat.
Speaker 4: It was like, oh, we got to uh do.
Speaker 3: Something totally unique because everybody's heard all those other songs before, so to be able to sing a new song was was really really fun.
Speaker 1: And put all those songs together and medley for him too, and then to go into a new song and that's definitely something of the fans have never been able to see.
Speaker 3: And again it was it was all you know again because Justin was generous enough to share his audience with us, you know, I mean, that's that's his show, right, Like he didn't have to do it, but he he all of a sudden, he was just kind of like, hey, is everybody in town or could everybody be in town?
Speaker 2: And I don't know if you talked about this really, but I'm so curious as to like, what is how do you land on that first new song after being apart for so long and the sound of it, you know, you kind of nailed it. Everybody was like, ooh, it is them, but it's an evolution.
Speaker 4: Well it's a Justin record, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: That's the reality. It's like it's Justin featuring in sync. And this song was for his album he had he had it recorded. Originally, I don't know, I'm not even supposed to say this, but originally I learned another song. He played me another song originally that he wanted the band. He was trying to decide between two songs, and he's like, should should we do this one or should we do this one? Should we do this one or should we do this one? I've been thinking about this. I think it would be cool for like if it was the band. But then I really like this one and it might be great for the band, and I'm not sure. So I originally learned a totally different song.
Speaker 1: Really, yeah, did you record it or just like so.
Speaker 3: It was like kind of getting towards the end of the night and I had I learned. I sat in the room and like, listened to it a bunch and I had learned it, and by the by the end of the evening, it was kind of like, you know what, it's getting late, let's just come back fresh. And then time went by, and then it was later when it was kind of like, no, this is the one.
Speaker 1: So that's when he went back to and Paradise. I'm telling you it is, you know, a love letter to the fans. I thought it was so beautiful. I loved, you know, our sound. Just it's funny to come back together after what is it, twenty two years, And I.
Speaker 3: Think that's why he ended up going back to it, you know again, when he was going back and forth between the two songs, he wasn't sure and then I think something clicked for him and he I think, you know, heard it in his mind event that no, this is.
Speaker 2: That well you know what lands actually, JC is gonna do a cappella the other song that nobody's ever heard ahead Live from Las Vegas, the unreleased You'll Never Know.
Speaker 1: You know, this show is possible today with our sponsor OTESLA. I have suffered from black sariasis, Yes, yes, I get to say that I've suffered from black soriasis and it was always on, like my knees especially, and that's why I never wore shorts or anything like that. So I want to know shy country boy country Boar with his black sariasis. But I you know, you're so confident on stage and you're so confident in everything you do, and you're writing your musicals and you're in the studio, do you have any insecurity?
Speaker 4: Of course?
Speaker 1: Like what can what can you tell us? Because I need to know something.
Speaker 4: Tell me everything.
Speaker 1: I feel a little better about myself.
Speaker 4: Now, come on, man, we all everybody.
Speaker 3: There's no way that everyone on earth is going to think that everything they do is perfect. I'm well, never mind, there are a few narcis, but no, I examine everything when you're on stage. There are always moments of insecurity when I'm on stage, but it's a matter of you're there too to perform, and so that's part of the performance is even when you're a bit insecure, you push through it, or you.
Speaker 4: Know you don't. Somehow you don't want to ruin the illusion.
Speaker 3: Because that's what the fans are there for. They're there for the show. You don't want to make the show just about you. You're there for them, so you focus on their needs.
Speaker 1: All right, dreww, I know you have put together a fun game for us. We love our games on our last show, so let's bring it back. We got JC here, what what is this game? Because I don't even know.
Speaker 4: This game is called Michael Overslept.
Speaker 2: No, No, I got a game and it's called The Lyrics Schmiricks. Game.
Speaker 4: Definitely gonna lose.
Speaker 1: I know, I know.
Speaker 4: But and they're your own songs, which is exactly why created this game.
Speaker 1: Because you know, I don't know any lyrics to any song.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's exactly why I created it.
Speaker 3: Because he's gonna be like, remember this B side you did in Germany?
Speaker 2: Well that's actually the first one. No, no, okay, here's how it works. I've got a list of incomplete in sync song lyrics, Lance and Jac. You're gonna compete to see who can fill in the blanks with the right lyrics. Will start easy, We'll get harder as we go. And just if you know it, just say it were you know, yeah, just blurt it out. So first one is from No Strings Attached. Hey, you guys remember that the album. Yes it's not I'm not telling you what the song is. Okay, well it's not a fit. Finish the lyric. Okay, here's here it is. He's not the type you said you liked. His style is whack clothes are bad. No, you're missing a couple of words as usual.
Speaker 1: Is yeah? So yeah, yeah, that's the song.
Speaker 3: Soothes are bad? What uh something?
Speaker 4: I want? You call me a hater?
Speaker 1: I mean this is hilarious.
Speaker 2: You literally have sung this song a thousand times, if not small.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and this is your No. This that's Justin's line, isn't it.
Speaker 2: His style is wack clothes are bad.
Speaker 1: Blurt it out. Yeah, exactly, come on, girl, let him go. I want you back.
Speaker 3: What I have a theory. My theory is about eighty percent of these. All you have to do is say, girl, we were in a boy band, sorry.
Speaker 4: Lance, but all had all the fun. I mean it's like, girl, girl.
Speaker 1: I got that I want you back part though, and it is my favorite song we've recorded. I still don't know the words. It's wild.
Speaker 4: So you just missed. Come on, girl, I want you back, right.
Speaker 1: Come on, girl, let him go.
Speaker 4: I want you let him go. I want words you missed?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 4: Anyway, we knew the song here's another one.
Speaker 1: It's from Celebrity. Here it goes.
Speaker 2: It's almost two o'clock. It's time to make my move. The after hours spot is where I'm going to.
Speaker 1: Groove? Is this just got paid.
Speaker 2: From celebrity some more looking for somebody to hit the dance floor, and lucky for me, I.
Speaker 1: See this is a two step one maybe uh, just the two of us.
Speaker 3: No, it's so hard to hear Okay, it's hard to hear it when you don't have the music.
Speaker 4: That's my problem.
Speaker 1: But can't you just sing first?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: I can't leave.
Speaker 3: The lights went low and the disco ball came down. It's like that's you need the melody to recall these things.
Speaker 4: Won't you sing it?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: No, No, You're gonna do this.
Speaker 1: You're gonna You're gonna sing this next one.
Speaker 2: Just think the bold letters and then see if lance can get.
Speaker 4: What am I gonna do?
Speaker 1: There? I gonna do this.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna tell you about this song, this song right here. You don't want to do this one?
Speaker 1: Is it techno song that we did?
Speaker 3: It's it's from the it's from it's from the early days. It's not any love, but it's it's in that Wheelhouse. So we used to schlept through this song on the on stage.
Speaker 1: Like it was the view the listeners what we're talking.
Speaker 4: So the songs called you got it and I got yeah, I'll do.
Speaker 1: Whatever it takes, I'll do whatever it yeah.
Speaker 3: And I remember there was a point where at least one of us, and I can't remember which one of us.
Speaker 4: Like literally hit a wall with it.
Speaker 3: It was just like, I can't do this song anymore live. It's driving me nuts.
Speaker 4: I don't agree with here we go okay, yeah, and I think it might it.
Speaker 3: Actually I can't remember who who it was, but I remember we were on stage and it was.
Speaker 4: Just like, I can't do this song anymore. I just can't do this song anymore. I was like, okay, you know, we'll put another record in. Yeah.
Speaker 1: It didn't last for the tour.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was on the tour.
Speaker 2: I really think this is a game for Lance because literally he doesn't know anything.
Speaker 1: I mean everyone knows. It's like, I know no lyrics.
Speaker 3: Wait, because you're choosing records by the way that you know that's from the first record. So we we only probably toured that on the very first tour.
Speaker 1: In Germany of the game master.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm calling my Wow master. Okay, I just like came out and I'm going with it all right.
Speaker 1: What about this? Let's see, let's just do this one. Oh.
Speaker 3: I love that I get all the answers before you by Why can't I.
Speaker 1: Sing it to him?
Speaker 2: Sing this to him and.
Speaker 1: See if you get the last two? Okay?
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: He doesn't give you that kind of sorry tention that a girl like unis because he always looks around from bum.
Speaker 1: Bum.
Speaker 4: I have no idea idea his eyes wander around. He doesn't see you like I see again. Why did you not pick songs you're giving me Justin's parts? Wow?
Speaker 1: Wow wow? Yeah. I don't know why I ever came back. You used to love the show until right now, years ago. In my life was so much better after I left there, and now this sucks. You know what's interesting to me?
Speaker 4: I was broke your friend.
Speaker 1: I think we just broke through it. He breaks me once a week. I would say, oh, okay, that sounded sexual. It did, but no.
Speaker 2: I I originally made the lyrics like literally just like choruses and really easy.
Speaker 4: And then I was going over.
Speaker 2: I was like, they're gonn to be like got it, got it, got it, and I made it too hard. It is.
Speaker 3: It's fun though, looking at that, like I said, that makes me. It's like it's I am like so weirdly conditioned. I can give you the chorus because we all sang on the chorus, right. It's like you're so hyper focused on learning your part, you don't want to forget it. You don't always remember everybody else's part all the time. You know the choreography for that part.
Speaker 1: Well, and that's the thing. I know words when I do the choreography.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's why I said I need the I need the melody.
Speaker 1: What about digital? Get done? Do you think.
Speaker 2: I hope that I get through? If you're in the mood and I'm not home, here's what to.
Speaker 4: Do digital digital. It's the way you're it's your delivery. I blame you.
Speaker 1: It's bad. I don't think. I don't think your heart's in it. Your heart's just not in it. Well, that was a wonderful game, drib Let's let's get some fan questions right now. That's what this What is the craziest merch you have ever seen your face on? It could be unofficial?
Speaker 4: I was, I don't even I don't even know how to answer that. Do you know? Have you?
Speaker 1: Is there a tattoo of you you've seen on someone's arm?
Speaker 4: I've seen like the band on seeing Chris a lot, have you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've seen Chris's face on a lot of arms. Not a lot, but like a couple of arms. No, but I don't think I've seen your face.
Speaker 4: Stupid microphone. He's funny.
Speaker 1: They heard pineapples?
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 1: This one is from Carly Burrie. Best and worst memory from the whole decade of the nineties.
Speaker 4: Best? What's your favorite one of that ninetiesneties? Obviously the you.
Speaker 3: Know, the band breaking through is the best memory, And I would say the worst is when we ended up in court.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean that's tough.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: It's like you think that your whole life is coming to a screen halt when you have all of these very powerful people, you know, kind of pressed up against you and uh and they're yeah, they're they're basically flexing on you. And you're young, and you're going and they're telling you they have this many years of experience and they've amassed this amount of wealth because they know what they're doing and you don't, and you're just lucky to be there.
Speaker 1: And so did you ever think was scary if we just we would not go any further after that moment? Did you think it was over?
Speaker 3: I think you you question everything, you know. But it's also like we were so painted into a corner. I mean we were you know, without getting into the too much detail about it, but it's just kind of like, we just did all of this and we're broke, so what else can we do? Like am I going to continue to do this and be broke? Like I'm running up debt, Like so this is actually ruining my life on some level. So it's like we couldn't We literally couldn't continue.
Speaker 1: It was scary, especially because I remember it was Strauss Zelnik, which I don't even know Strauss's in the music world anymore. I don't know. He was like the head of a BMG. Yeah, but that's when I you know, we sat around the table. It was kind of like this like mediation, right, and he just looked at us, He's like, yeah, you might have one more album then you I'm going with low and kind of just walked out of the room like oh my god, like they don't care about us, Like they just do not care. We are just like we're chill the product.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, And to be fair, it's called the music business, right, so I understand that they have to take a stance. I don't necessarily agree with all the stances that people take in business all the time. I just know that, like you said, I was worried, like is this the end? And yeah, part of you wonders is it the end? But that's because there was no other way. War word, that's it.
Speaker 1: Korene blackstonecrafts as what is something you hope to accomplish in the next year. It's on your short list? Make my musical, because you've been working on a couple of musicals, right, yeah, so give us the update on them.
Speaker 3: So Candid is still in a shopping phase. But this, well that's called the Best. We're calling it the best of all possible worlds. It's based on Candid. Playing with Fire is an adaptation of Frankenstein and uh, I've actually I'm literally mixing that record right now.
Speaker 1: Is Frikanstein public domain, so you don't have to worry about trying to find its rights and all that.
Speaker 4: Well, this is Playing with Fire.
Speaker 3: So Playing with Fire was an adaptation written by my writing partner's mother actually, so he has the rights to him. He and his sister gave us the thumbs up to work on it. And but all the look, all the music is totally original, there's nothing from that anyway. It's we're writing songs that we felt like would push emotional points through in uh and and make it interesting for a whole new generation. Coincidentally, now we we've noticed, like there's two new Frankenstein movies coming out. Oh yeah, Germo del Toro is doing one, and and Jill and Hall is doing one with Christian bale So and but that's film, right, Like, we're looking to do something for the stage. And the reason I was drawn to the stage is we had this conversation earlier about AI. Right like, in five years time, you might be looking at an actor on your screen. You might be looking at something that was amalgamated. Right Like when you listen to a recording, it might be a real voice. It might be a voice that was amalgamated. When you go when you walk into a theater, that's a human being on stage. There's no other way around it. Every time you walk into a theater, those are real singers. Those are real actors on the stage, and so I thought it was way appropriate when when the idea of Frankeenstein came about, It's like, Okay, this whole story is about a basically a distraught scientist who created something and was essentially irresponsible with it, and bad things happen, and that's what we're facing, you know, on some level now with AI, it's like, Okay, we've created this thing. We need to be very responsible and very careful about, you know, how we use it and what we're doing when we're when we're creating this thing, and what we're what we're teaching it.
Speaker 2: So it's also kind of like Doc Brown and Back to the Future.
Speaker 1: If you think about it, you know, it's exactly lot Don as a Broadway lover. Is there a show that you would just love to do, even if it was just for one night?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I don't know if there's any role I see myself in. I again, I'm just more of a creator. I like creating, I think more than anything. So I actually have my writing partner and I we have two ideas in the back of our mind of what we might do next, if we even do another one. I mean, this process is so different from making a record, and I had no idea. It's it's just a different animal. But we're hoping that it. You know, there's no guarantee. We just made this recording and we've written a first draft of the book, but you know that this thing could change fifty different ways by the time it gets to its finished form. But you know, we're we wanted to release this recording so everybody can hear at least something of the genesis of what we are thinking as writers.
Speaker 4: My co writer Jimmy Harry and.
Speaker 3: I, you know, we were inspired by this material that his mother originally wrote as a play, and she wrote it in a way that made the story very accessible emotionally to me anyway, And so after I read it, I told him, I was like, this is incredible, man. But you know, you're also there's a moment where I was a little bit of afraid because this is his mother's writing, right, she's an artist, And it was like, are we gonna work on this thing? You know, because we took liberties and we changed things, and so it's like when you're changing something that somebody's mother wrote, You're going, are we cool?
Speaker 4: Are we good with this? How do you feel about this? Are we on the same day?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: And the good thing is, you know he was very much about, Hey, this song is changing the way I feel about this and I like it. So let's let's go here instead. So that's been fun.
Speaker 1: That's great. I could see in Rent I think you would kill it, say in the Park with George or something.
Speaker 3: You know what I saw that was? It was that last year. Now I went, I saw a friend. So funny you say that. One of my writing partners for the Candid Project is Sarna La Pine and her father La Pine so and she and she directed a rendition of studying in the Park with George and that I saw recently.
Speaker 1: So, I mean, you spend much time in New York, you don't like or more.
Speaker 4: La I'm I mean, I'm I'm more La, you know. But look, I'll just go wherever the work is.
Speaker 3: Like, the fact of the matter is Jimmy and I live in La so that's where we work. But I'll see a show anywhere. We're in Vegas, you know what I mean. It's like I'll see you know, I love the West End. I love Vegas. I love seeing shows.
Speaker 4: In New York. I mean I'll see a show anywhere.
Speaker 1: It says from Candy's eighty eight lance, were you and JC wearing matching necklace? Is at the Wilstern show?
Speaker 4: Were we?
Speaker 1: I mean they were imagining because I don't remember. I mean we didn't plan on that. I don't know what I was wearing. No, I think I was wearing like a pearl necklace.
Speaker 4: I was not. Justin was wearing pearls. I think.
Speaker 1: Oh, guys, JC is not Justin and Justine's not j C.
Speaker 4: Okay, get it together.
Speaker 1: I know they look exactly alike, they like twins, but they're different people. Okay, I'm tired of trying to explain this to you guys. All Right, this is Sharon Zerz is our last one. Sharon Zerz forty two. What is your favorite song you have ever written or recorded? I know it's like choosing babies, but give me. You know it's one of your top, one of your top.
Speaker 3: It's impossible. It's impossible, yeah, because you're gonna like different things for different reasons, and they affect you in different ways. Because you know, eventually, when you work on something, there's a there's a memory attached to it, either in the recording process or just a shared moment with someone. And so you know, there's so there's songs that people will never hear that I'll have have great memories of, you know what I mean. So that's that's just impossible.
Speaker 2: But do you have a song that you could remember the lyrics to that you've written.
Speaker 1: Making this game happen? Okay, that's just never gonna happen.
Speaker 3: Ship, Yeah, I mean I could probably remember all the lyrics the Happy.
Speaker 4: Birthday I got that one, you know, all right.
Speaker 3: Hardly I remember a lot of the Spanish version of this, I promise.
Speaker 1: You, which, by the way, I prefer that.
Speaker 4: Cras to lose yea given end.
Speaker 1: You think I'm gonna remember the Spanish words more than the English words. Yeah, it's not gonna happen, but it is a beautiful like I love that version. All right. Before we let you go, we have to do a little druze news and see what JC thinks about what's going down in the news today. Drew bo Haley Baber pregnant.
Speaker 2: She's preggner six months now, six months and you know the uh, it has now been confirmed that is not going to be twins. So the reason why people were speculating that it was gonna be twins is because Justin's mom, Patty uh mentioned grand babies in her Instagram and so everybody's like, oh my god, that means it's gonna be twins, you know, because people love to like find little signals and yeah. So my question to you, Lance is like, when you were having kids, were there things that your mom or somebody in your life maybe tweeted before you were ready to reveal anything.
Speaker 1: None of my family and I think your mom has a Twitter, but like, no, they didn't mean no, I mean no, there was no revealing of anything accidentally nothing. I mean I understand because you know, we've been kind of following Justin Bieber the last few months and he looks like there's something kind of been going down. Uh, he looks sad a lot of the times everyone's speculating he's you know, putting videos up of him crying. And I even thought, I'm like, you know what, this kind of looks like maybe they lost a kit, like they were pregnant and lost the baby. Like that's that's the reaction that I see, you know, as like a parent, I'm like, God, that's that's how I would look. And I'm so glad to find out that they are six months and like they but maybe they did have twins and then we lost one, because that's what happened with us, you know, we were pregnant with twins and then yeah, and then we lost one and then we lost the other one like three weeks later, so we had to start the whole process over. So, you know, when you're trying to you know, it's hard for sometimes for twins to stick, like a lot of the times one will not survive unfortunately. So maybe that's the case. I don't know. Maybe that's why he was so sad the last week's But I'm glad that you know, they're gonna have our first baby. Yeah it's a good sign. Yeah, you never want to talk about it for a long time, but I think six months you're pretty safe to say, Okay, this is this might go uh, but yay, I'm happy for them. Babies are fun.
Speaker 4: You think you did although a few minutes ago.
Speaker 1: Babies are real fun. You see my face. No, I mean it's it's awesome. It really changes your life for the better. It ages you. You're tired, but it's so worth it. It's so great.
Speaker 4: I don't have to go sincere, we know you love your kids.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen your kids around in a long time.
Speaker 1: I don't know. They've been on the craps table for the last two hours. They are good, they're lucky.
Speaker 4: Role The craps table kind of does look like a crib.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it does look comfy.
Speaker 4: It's kind of like a giant crib.
Speaker 1: Maybe I think I'm gonna change their cribs now. They're just gonna all sleep in a crap table.
Speaker 3: No, I mean they wear diapers, right, Well, so there's crap and they're in the thing. I'd see it's new branding. You're gonna come up with some wacky branding idea crap craps.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my brain is going down.
Speaker 4: Like Las Vegas children's furniture.
Speaker 1: Let's add that to the list. Jac thank you so much for on frosted tips.
Speaker 4: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Is there anything you would like to tell everyone that we haven't discussed that you would like to be like, Oh, yeah, I hadn't told anyone this yet. I need to tell the world, little pluck.
Speaker 4: Plug, I'm moving to Mars. I'm not moving to Mars.
Speaker 1: Good luck, there's no return. There's no return. There's a one way trip to Mars.
Speaker 4: Yeah for now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well in our lifetime, you ain't coming back, and we need you, see, we need you. Well, congratulations on everything. I can't wait for the musicals and we get to hear some stuff and you killed it on Paradise. I mean, it's so great to hear you and justin together singing.
Speaker 4: I mean everyone will you sing well?
Speaker 1: Man? Yeah, I mean I'm just there for long for the ride, but you know, it's it's been fun, but you know it's been incredible, and yeah, let's have a fun weekend. This is I got my boys with me. This is gonna be great.
Speaker 4: This is about this. At our age, it's about survival.
Speaker 1: Yeah, at this point, every day is just a we.
Speaker 4: Were young, it was like let's go get it. Now we're like, let's not die.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I just want to wake up tomorrow and not have a bad back.
Speaker 4: That's what I said.
Speaker 1: Turky Turchen didn't even come on the show. What the hell? All right? Well, dreww, it's always good to see you. I'm glad that.
Speaker 4: You're thank you for such a fun game.
Speaker 1: Yeah that please we're gonna take well, we're gonna go sell that to a network because that was incredible. And of course Jay Dizzel, Giggles, Dell Campo Turkey, you did not show up, but uh yeah, I love that. I have my peanuts here and uh yeah, see we'll see you soon. We're gonna be taking lots of pictures tonight.
Speaker 4: See you at dinner.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, we're gonna have dinner.
Speaker 4: Let's see what the yeah?
Speaker 1: All right, all right, guys, that is all the show a half of you. Thanks so much for listening. I'll be good to each other out there. Don't drink and drop, take care of those animals, and uh until next time, stay frosted. Hey, thanks for listening. Follow us on Instagram at Frosted Tips with Lance and Michael Turchin and at lance bast for all your pop culture needs, and make sure to write his review and leave us five stars six if you can see you next time.