Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News. Bloomberg Tech is live from the heart of Silicon Valley with Ed Ludlow in Van Francisco.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Tech coming up.
Speaker 3: Ali Barber releases its latest Quenn model, its biggest ever, claiming performance on par with Anthropic Plus. Amazon surpassed three trillion dollars in market value for the first time, extending gains after a big cloud and AI driven earnings report last week. AWS CEO mcgarman joins us later in the hour and how Apple's reinventing itself as a subscription giant. Will dive into the details of the iPhone maker's Apple Upgrade program and its next era of growth. There's an elite club that's getting bigger. Today's big number three trillion dollars. Amazon has reached a three trillion dollar market value for the first time, becoming just the fifth company ever to hit that milestone. The stock training at all time highs following its quarterly earnings last Thursday night from Friday into this Monday session. This is the biggest two day gain on the stock since two thousand and nine, and the momentum has really carried through Later in the hour, we're going to speak to aw Seo mac Garman, and it really was AWS that was the big driver in earnings. The AI story, there's a lot to discuss. China's AI race accelerates. Ali Barber has unveiled Quen three point eight Max, its new flagship AI model, saying it can rival and thropics best. It's the latest in a wave of Chinese AI breakthroughs, challenging Silicon Valley's lead Bloomberg's equities reporter Henry Wren joins us for more. Let's go over the basics, Ali Barber sharing details of the model. The model clearly on benchmarks, it says is high performance, and the ADRs have reacted quite positively here.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Indeed, we're seeing Alibaba's ADRs training up about five percent in US trading at this point. So the company said that it's a new MAX three point eight models rivals the US models, the Frontier Labs models at some benchmarks, so for example on research reproduction, on agentic use of computers, these are strong suits. It also says that its model has two point four trillion terms of parameters, and that's basically on power with the level that we've been seeing for the Keemi K three model, which was out a few weeks ago. Also, the company, yes also said something about cost. Obviously per token costs, it's a bit lower than the US frontier models as.
Speaker 3: Well, two dollars per one million tokens. On the input side, you have a really strong command of Chinese technology companies from the stock perspective, Right, is Ali barbera name Henry that trades on its AI prowess or like some of these America can multifaceted companies a different part of its business.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's the AI story is really important for Ali Baba. If we zoom out a bit today, it gains about five percent. But if you really look at the trajectory since June, you will see that the stock is up about thirty five to forty percent from a June low. And the key story here is about the more optimism in AI. Obviously we're seeing the Quen breakthrough today, but really last month the company has a closed store meeting with analysts, and analysts came out more optimistic about the company's cloud revenue growth. For example, JP Morgan is modeling about forty five percent in revenue growth for its cloud unit for the June quarter, so there has been an acceleration over there, but still on the main business, on the e commerce business, because it has been a company known for its main shopping site in China, that part of business is still lagging, although it's still the cash cloud cloud, so to speak. So investors' opinions are still mixed. That's why we were seeing sentiment has been pretty weak into June, but since drewing some positive AI announcements has really been boosting the stock.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg's Henry Wren, thank you very much.
Speaker 3: Ali Barber says its new Queen model delivers frontier AI performance and as Henry outlined, at a fraction of the cost, could cheaper AI accelerate adoption rather than just pressure pricing. Joining us now is Lauren Cassidy, chief investment officer of the Founders one hundred ETF, the ETF tracking founders in this space meta in Zuckerberg, Musk and SpaceX. The economics of AI is really what the Chinese story is putting front and center. So I pose that question to you drive adoption or lower the tokenomics here?
Speaker 5: Yes, I do.
Speaker 6: See this as a positive in that there's room in the world for both open and closed models, and I do think it will drive prices a little lower. It isn't cheaper than anthropics haiku, but if it is fable, fable level performance, and it's about a fit of the price, and so I think that you know, that could put pressure on the l elms. But overall there's still a lot that the American llms have to offer.
Speaker 3: What are the advantages that the US models have to your mind, Lauren.
Speaker 6: Trust, reliability, additional features, convenience of not having to modify the models. So it just depends what an enterprise is looking for, what.
Speaker 5: Fits the best.
Speaker 3: I'm looking at the found one ETF and again you feel free to remind us of the thesis on the founder side, But you don't have any of the the A d rs for some of these big Chinese tech companies.
Speaker 2: What are the reasons for that?
Speaker 6: And I think that we believe that in American innovation long term, and just as we've had waves of innovation and greater adoption in the country of the steam engine, electricity, modern manufacturing, computers, and the Internet, we are now on the sixth wave, which is AI. We think it's going to be a really big thing. We see tremendous adoption over the next decade, and we are very exposed to those stocks.
Speaker 2: Let's shift gears a little bit.
Speaker 3: SpaceX has its first quarterly earnings and call Tuesday evening. This is what I wrote published this morning. It's the first opportunity that SpaceX investors might have to put the question of a Tesla SpaceX merger to Elon Musk. Maybe you and I've discussed this before from the Tesla side of the table, but where does founder one hundred ETF stand on that idea?
Speaker 6: Yes, we believe that's inevitable over time. Elon Musk is an incredible founder, and he is building the only closed loop AI network, and over time there's going to be more and more opportunities for Tesla and SpaceX to share. They're going to be building Tarifab. I'm really hoping to hear details about that build out tomorrow. They'll be sharing chips. There's going to be a lot of opportunities for synergies between the businesses. It probably makes sense at some point to fold Tesla in to the greater mix as we work towards data centers in space.
Speaker 3: Lauren Cassidy, a founder one hundred ETF, back on the show, thank you very much. Indeed, another top story, one of the crypto industry's most trusted storage devices is at the center of a major hack. Coinkite, the Canadian company behind the cold card Hog hardware wallet, says a software floor made some bitcoin recovery keys predictable, allowing hackers to drain wallets that were supposed to be kept safely online. According to Galaxy Research, more than seventeen hundred bitcoin worth about one hundred and ten million dollars has been stolen from roughly five thousand different wallets. Coinkite says it has released a firmware update to fix the floor. Another stock that we're watching because of what happened over the weekend, shares of AMC, now modestly higher seven tens percent, had been much higher at the open, highest ever total weekend revenue, including records for admissions and food and beverage. By the way, why the driven driven by the opening of Spider Man brand New Day yet to see it, that film grossing three hundred and fifty five million dollars domestically in the US. Valor Atomics, the company building America's first gigas sites, secured a billion dollars in its Series B funding round, led by Sequoia. The company also closed a two hundred million dollar credit facility to build the words first vertically integrated industrial nuclear power company. Joining us now is Valo Atomic CEO and founder Isaiah Taylor. You're also fresh off what now seems with hindsight, a pretty key demo that was a bit of an unlock for this round. You want to move quickly, so let's start that. What do you need the funding for and how you're going to deploy it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and thanks for having me on again. Just a month ago, I was on the show talking about how we became the first startup in history to make nuclear power. We did that by powering and Nvidia Blackwell Chip, which was an amazing event as the first time that an advanced nuclear reactor has powered AI infrastructure directly. So you're right, it's been an amazing couple of months. We made a lot of progress, and really what this is about is giving us the firepower that we need to go build the sites. We've now demonstrated nuclear power. This is the reactor standing behind me here, and we have to build a lot more of these in order to make pace with AI.
Speaker 8: AI is building very quickly.
Speaker 7: We need a lot of power in every direction and this is really about scale for us. So this is the firepower that we need to go and build.
Speaker 3: Sequoia led the round bit. Sean McGuire is also going to join your board. Why is that important to you? What is it that Sean can can give you other than just the check?
Speaker 7: You know, it's been amazing to spend some time with Sean over the last few months and get to know the rest of the Sakoia team and the partnership. I think Sean's a really, really thoughtful person. He spends a lot of time with SpaceX and understanding that business model, and I think one of the lessons to learn from SpaceX is really just the power of scale and pace of production, and that's something that we want to do in nuclear as well.
Speaker 8: So I think that his.
Speaker 7: Lessons that he's to learn there are going to be applied very well to this business, and I'm really excited to welcome them to the board.
Speaker 3: You know, the numbers here are really big, right, So it's a billion dollar round six billion dollar post money valuation, but with respect, you know, this is still early, this is nascent, it is high risk, it is technical how contingent was that demo that you did just on the show a month ago in literally making the round materialize. How much did investors want to see that this worked.
Speaker 7: You're right, this is super early, and you know, this is a very long journey for us. We see this as a multi trillion dollar opportunity. We're going to go and build the biggest energy company on Earth. So these are the very early days for sure. You know, we have a lot to prove still. We want to prove pace of production. We want to go from building one reactor in a year to six months, to once a month, and then even faster than that. So you're right, there's still a lot to prove. You know, I think that this demonstration was really important. We've said for a long time that valar Atomics is a hardware company. We're focused on hardware execution and on full vertical integration, and that's really what we proved here. We prove that we can take a patch of dirt, we can build a reactor on it, turn it on, and operate it. And that's just one small step, but it's the first of many to go and build the nuclear power company or the future.
Speaker 2: Isaiah.
Speaker 3: One of the things you and I have not yet discussed is who the customer ends up being. You know, you want to build the nuclear power company of the future. Who You've explained the scale of the tech you've powered one black Well chip, and I think that's important context of the audience. But who do you ultimately sell it to.
Speaker 7: It's a really good question. I think that nuclear and energy in general is a bit noisy right now. You see a lot of deals getting signed that maybe are binding, maybe are not.
Speaker 8: We've been really really.
Speaker 7: Focused and disciplined on this point that we believe this is a hardware execution problem. Everyone needs energy, they need it at any price, they can get it as fast as they can get it, and so really really focused on just executing.
Speaker 8: In the hardware and bringing new power online.
Speaker 7: And I think once we get that new power online, that'll open us up to a bunch of really interesting customers who have large balance sheets. We depend on energy in order to build what they see is the future as well. And so that's you know, there's a handful of customers there that are interested in what we're doing. But we're going to stay focused and we're going to stay focused on hard works.
Speaker 3: Isaiah I don't know how much you want to talk about finance. I don't know if you're the finance guy in truth at Valor. But an interesting credit facility Palm Lucky's Arabor and JP Morgan. You know it's two hundred million dollar facility. But why was that important? You really sort of put it high up in the announcement today.
Speaker 7: You know, it is important to us, you know, if the long term of this business right, we don't want to be relying entirely on equity, and we think that power is a uniquely debt financible.
Speaker 8: Thing, and so moving this company from.
Speaker 7: Something that's equity financed to debt finance is a long term goal of ours. And it's really great to be working with partners like Airbor who led this around, and JP Morgan Pressing Cove and the Hercules as well coming into it, and we're really starting to demonstrate to the market that this is a business that can take large amounts of credit, deploy it very well.
Speaker 8: Get the yield on that.
Speaker 7: And this is how we're going to run the business going forward, is that these reactors will be financed. They'll be financed by customers by different ways of putting these tranches together and that's really how we're going to go and build all of this CAPEX. So we're excited to start to demonstrate.
Speaker 3: This with airpor Isaiah, let's end the conversation of talking about America's attitude and progress on your industry? Is America moving fast enough so that you can do the things that you want to do on the timelines that you've set out.
Speaker 7: Look, it never feels like we're moving fast enough, right We want to move so much faster than we are today. China has about fourteen nuclear reactors under construction right now, and we're just starting to break ground on our next one here, So we need to move faster. If we want to win on AI, we have to go faster in all forms of power generation, but especially nuclear. I think nuclear is uniquely well suited to win the AI race. It's clean, it scales very well, you can build lots of it in one place next to a large data center. There's a lot of things that work really well for this. But frankly, we do need to move faster, and that's why we're so focused on the hardware.
Speaker 5: Secution.
Speaker 3: Valaatomics CEO and founder Isaiah Taylor back on the show, thank you very much. Indeed, let's get to the earning story. Stay with AI up next. Palenteer set to report its second quarter earnings today after the closing bell. Joining US Bloomberg's Lazett Chapman leads our coverage of Palenteer. You know, it's so interesting we go with these periods of times where we talk about plantic constantly, then maybe it got a little quiet. Ultimately, the company has a lot of momentum. Right, what are you embracing for?
Speaker 9: Right, It's a pressure cooker quarter.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 9: They have a history of always beating or exceeding analyst revenue or analyst estimates for every quarter on.
Speaker 2: Revenue, et cetera.
Speaker 9: So this is already the expectation that they're going to beat or exceed, and so even if they raise their guidance, it's kind of like, so what you do this every quarter? And so the big thing that people are going to be watching right now is the concentration of sales, whether it's in the US, whether it's international. This quarter they are expecting really blockbuster growth for US commercial sales. This has been its strongest area of growth, and next quarter for the first time ever in its history, Analysts expect them to exceed, have commercial growth exceed government growth. So what they're going to be looking for this quarter is has it continue that trajectory and how are they doing internationally, which is something that we've talked about and we've had Mark on and some other people on. So that's something that they're going to be looking at.
Speaker 3: It's a really big point because you know, in the news headlines, Palente comes up in the context of its work with the Pentagon or with different arms of the US government in a defense context, but they also have a lot of commercial case studies. So that's the moment in time it flips to commercial. But give us the basics, like what Palenti's business does, right, we always have to remind us us all what is palent is?
Speaker 9: Yeah, it is AI software that allows people to make the best use of the information that they have to gather data from all across different you know, sources that they have to integrate it, make sense of it, map it, and then throw an LLM up against it, whether it is you know from you know, from whichever company, whether they're agnostic exactly exactly. And so they've worked a lot on showing different partnerships that they have with some of the major players. That's something that they're going to talk about today, I'm sure, along with partnerships with NVIDIAs some of the rest. They have gotten a lot of attention for their work with defense, but it's actually the commercial which is their fastest growing and so we'll see how they do.
Speaker 3: Alex carp the CEO, is vocal. Let's say, he also talks about the markets sometimes, but is there a clear Palentist stock story of this year of the last year, like how has the market reacted to them?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 9: The market had massive expectations at the end of last year.
Speaker 10: The stock was up.
Speaker 9: It was almost up to two hundred or so, and since then it's plummeted from that high. It was trading at something like two hundred and four twenty seven x earnings. Then now it's down to about sixty seven x earnings, which is down from its five year average of ninety eight x earnings. But it's still one of the most expensive stocks on the S and P. So a lot of a lot of investors are wondering where that disconnect is and whether it's really worth what it said it was going to be able to deliver.
Speaker 3: This seems like a big one, a big one for Market's Bloomberg's the set Chapman who covers Panenter but also defense tech bench Capital. Thank you very much. Indeed, now coming up, Apple's changing the way if you buyas devices, why monthly payments could become the new normal?
Speaker 2: Power On. This is Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 3: Preak check on Amazon shares at all time highs. They've joined the three trillion dollar market cap club and this is the biggest two day game they've posted since two thousand and nine. After earnings later in the hour, we're going to speak to AWSCO, maccarm and AWS, Amazon's key cloud computing unit. Apple is making a big bet that customers would rather pay by the month than all at once. It's the new Apple Upgrade program, designed to make your upgrading your device film more like a subscription. Bloomas Mark German here with the latest power on from this weekend. It's been really interesting to see the rollout of this. What are you trying to capture in this this power on? Like, what where do you think this is headed?
Speaker 11: Yeah, the fact of the matter is is that you're going to see a change over time from sticker prices to subscription prices. The carriers have been trying this for years. It's been extremely successful for the carriers in the US. Internationally, obviously, Apple has gotten on a really good schedule with its new new products, obviously new iPhones and Apple watches every September. The iPad cadence has really become fall in Spring the Mac. You know, depending on which Mac you get, you're thinking fall or spring as well well. And so there are upgrade cycles for consumers. Right, maybe I'm going to get a new phone every three years, maybe I'm going to get a new computer every five years. But making it a subscription is going to get people into getting a new phone more frequently.
Speaker 10: They could give those phones then back to Apple.
Speaker 11: Apple could resell them on secondary markets. They can reuse the parts for new devices, right, which creates a big cost savings and improve margins for them there too as well as that secondary phone business. And then the consumer is paying on a recurring schedule, so the payments to Apple never stop and over the long term you're going to see Apple creating far more revenue in profit because of this program. In fact, Wall Street has been begging Apple to do this for over half a decade. And so it's a long time coming.
Speaker 3: So this weekend I did my first Apple up grade. I took my twenty twenty Macair with an M one chip, and I took the latest Macare thirteen inches with an M five chip, and I did the math and it's a great deal. Basically I can trade in still and still do the Klana Apple up grade. The thing that jumped out is I got to wait three weeks for that Macare. That's still an issue.
Speaker 11: Yes, So as we wrote in power On as well this weekend, you know, the Max Studio and the Macmini, those are no longer the only Max with extreme supply shortages. Now it's the most popular Mac which is of course the MacBook Air, and new orders of the macbookare are not arriving at.
Speaker 10: This point until early September.
Speaker 11: So you're seeing the supply chain shortage shift from niche computers to the company's most popular computer.
Speaker 10: So that's not necessarily great.
Speaker 11: And so what they're doing now in terms of their marketing online and in stores, they're pushing people towards the base level M five MacBook Pro, the fourteen inch, which they have a lot of supply of still, and they want to sort of dwindle that down because they're launching the new M six version in just a couple months from now.
Speaker 2: Mark just very quickly.
Speaker 3: We have a story on the terminal about how Apple's SerII stacks up against the new Chatch GPT.
Speaker 2: What do we need to know?
Speaker 11: Apple has a huge advantage by having SERIAI built into every iPhone now that can run iOS twenty seven and the latest large language models. It's competent, right. The promise of Siri has been there for fifteen years. It's never really worked. Now it works. It's nowhere near as good or as capable as Chad GPT, but the floor has improved tremendously.
Speaker 2: Bloombergs smart German with the latest power on. Thank you very much.
Speaker 3: Amazon has blown past three trillion dollars in market value after its cloud unit AWS drove big earnings performance last week. The company says it's AI business is hit a revenue run rate of twenty five billion dollars, and it's chip business not the same milestone. Amazon also raised its capex plans for this year to two hundred and twenty billion dollars as it joins the chorus of tech companies backing American Open Models AWS CEO Matt Garman joins US now on Bloomberg Television and Bloomberg Radio. Matt, it's great to have you back on the show. You know, this is the fastest growth for AWS in nearly five years. But to kind of capture moment in time, could we start by talking about how much of that was driven by the frontier labs, the big ones Open AI and Thropic, or how much of it was something broader across the enterprise, something bigger in AI.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's actually across the board this growth that we're seeing right now, and much of that is some of the AI labs that are building their models on top of AWS, but actually a lot of that growth is spread across all of our startup and enterprise customers, where AI is really impacting almost every single industry. And so whether it's financial services companies or healthcare companies, or retail companies or media companies, Really the growth is coming across the board as companies of all different sizes in all different industries are looking to use AI to grow their business. And so we're seeing a lot of growth from the frontier labs. But for AWS, we're not like some others, maybe that's concentrated on just one or two large customers, but it's actually growth from a really broad set of customers, which is nice to see.
Speaker 5: Matt.
Speaker 3: When AWS says the AI business has a revenue run rate of twenty five billion dollars, what does that mean?
Speaker 2: What does the figuring compass?
Speaker 12: Yeah, that includes both training from very large companies like Anthropic and open Ai and other large tech companies, as well as many startups. But it also and then a big chunk of that is really inferenced that that broad swath of companies are doing. And so as companies think about how they take models in something on Amazon Bedrock and run those models to get value out of their business, some of them are automating processes. Many of them are running agentic workloads that they build on AWS to further drive efficiencies in their business or deliver new customer experiences. We consider all of that work, whether it's agent growth, whether it's inference, and some of that is training new models, all of that compasses the AI business for us.
Speaker 3: I think I've asked you this question at various points in time since you became AWS CEO. Is there a percentage split right now? Training versus inference that you can give me.
Speaker 12: Yeah, you do. And it actually keeps shifting, I would say more and more. It keeps shifting more towards inference. I think we still see large training clusters being used by a number of companies, but as these as these models get really popular and really powerful, more and more companies are integrating that inference into their workloads. So, you know, I don't know the exact percentage today, but it keeps shifting more and more towards inference, and we expect that to continue as the economics makes sense where you really want most of that cost and spend being where value is being created for end customers.
Speaker 3: Amazon's overall CAPEX number for this year is very big, two hundred and twenty billion dollars, so it's up twenty billion, and Andy Jesse explained that's mostly AI, but it also accounts for higher memory pricing. Right, capex higher because the cost environment's higher. But from aws's perspective, what's the trajectory for next year? You expect that capex will be biggest still because I think one of the things that Amazon is quite clear about is that even at two hundred and twenty billion, dollars, it might not be enough to meet current demand.
Speaker 12: Yeah, one of the things that we're quite excited about is just the potential business for us is just massive, and we see this as a huge opportunity for us to really invest and help customers take advantage of the AI opportunity, and so we will keep investing. We think that there's a big opportunity for us and for customers, And as Andy kind of called out last week, we have really great insight into what that demand is going to be from customers, and so when we invest and we will keep investing in kepex next year as well, we have great insight into when that revenue is going to land. And so it's pretty well known for us. And as Andy mentioned, much of our capacity has already spoken through through the end of twenty seven and even through much of twenty eight, and so as we're investing, we're getting five year commitments from customers. We're getting these long term commitments, and so we're out there making investments to keep being able to grow the business and try to meet customer demand. But as you say, today, demands still significantly outstriped supply, and we're trying to build and invest to keep up with what customers are asking for.
Speaker 3: And so we expect the CAPEX number will be bigger next year than it is this year.
Speaker 12: I expect us to keep investing as we see opportunities, and some of that will see how the market continues to grow. But right now we're excited about our investments and we'll continue to invest.
Speaker 3: The chip business has also got a lot of momentum. You know, Trainium for some time has been a big part of the strategy, and we've discussed that. I've been able to go to Austin spend a lot of time in Annapurna Labs to look at the server design. Let's start by asking what when you say the chip business has a revenue run rate in twenty five billion dollars, what does that mean? That is the business of selling the chips to third parties or renting out capacity based on the chips.
Speaker 12: Yeah, renting out capacity based on those chips. Today we run all of our own chips inside of the AWS cloud and that includes both Trainium chips as well as Graviton chips or which our general purpose processors. Graviton is incredibly popular. We've been building Graviton for many years now, and in fact, almost all of our large customers use Graviton as some part of their deployment, and it's a key part of how help customers deliver extra value by lowering their costs. Trainium is wildly popular and as we've mentioned a couple of times now, we're largely sold out through the end of next year for Trainium capacity and it's really really popular. We're starting to see both large customers as well as startups really love the cost benefits of running on Trainium and having that choice in a cloud where you can run on purpose built processors like Trainium that give you really great AI performance, together with Nvidia chips for when you need some of that processing for GPUs as well, gives customers the right mix that they're oftentimes looking for, and so we find that combination to be quite powerful and our Trainium three chips are really really popular with customers.
Speaker 3: Right now, we're live on Bloomberg Television and Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 3: In conversation with Matt garm and, the CEO of AWS, explain that the difference in economics between capacity based on Trainium and capacity based on Blackwell, for example, like what is the selling point of going with Amazon Silicon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we think that.
Speaker 12: Look, we think customers want choice, and so we offer great offerings for both products. Some customers really like to build on in Vidia GPUs and those are fantastic, and we're one of Nvidia's absolute largest customers in the world. We've been offering in Vidia GPUs in the cloud for over a decade now, and AWS is the most scalable and secure and stable place to run in Vidia servers anywhere, and so we're very excited about that business. But when you add Trainium, we're able to lower the ca for many workloads, and so customers like to have that opportunity where they can take these really massively scaled AI workloads or inference lart workloads where we can tune them because we kind of control that whole stack. We control the training chips, the data centers, and the inference stack and can really tune that whole stack. And that helps customers lower their costs and improve performance. And we're really starting to see that flywheel go where model providers of all types and customers love that they get that value and great performance. And we think that that's a real flywheel that we can keep turning and are quite excited about continuing to grow that business.
Speaker 2: Could you make it tangible for me? What is the cost saving?
Speaker 12: It's workload by workloads, so there's not like a specific cost savings, but for workloads where we see this optimization happen, customers can oftentimes save twenty thirty percent off of their inference costs when they run that on Trainum.
Speaker 2: Interesting.
Speaker 3: Would you consider selling the chips outright as opposed to capacity based on them.
Speaker 12: Yeah, we've mentioned that we might consider that in the future. Right now, we have so much demand inside of the AWS cloud that we really love that business, and so that's the place we're focusing right now. But it's an interesting opportunity and it's something that we would definitely consider in the future.
Speaker 3: The other big development was AWS signing the open Weights letter. You yourself communicated that Why was it important to you, Matt to sign that and participate in that?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 12: I think that Again, a lot of this boils down to customers wanting choice, and the big frontier labs have awesome models today, whether it's open AI running on bedrock, whether it's Anthropic running on bedrock, Customers really love using those models. But they also like being able to customize models, and so having a broad ecosystem of open weights models, I think is incredibly important for innovation. It's important for our customers, and so you think about things like the Nematron models from Nvideo, or you think about Kimmi three or some of the Chinese open weights models. Those really help customers be able to customize to their own data and really be able to innovate. And so we think that it's important to not overlegislate there and give that flexibility for customers to use whichever models they find to be the best fit. And that's actually why we really focus on having all of those available inside of Bedrock, so that customers can choose which ones they want to use.
Speaker 3: Not to over legislate. I mean, I had a conversation with Jensen Wong the day the letter was posted about why then, what is the rationale? It does seem like the concern is that the US government overly regulates open models. Was that sort of a motivation for you?
Speaker 12: Yeah, I think that's the concern, and I think you just want to make sure that we kind of have an even playing field, and it doesn't mean that there's none by the way, I think there should probably be the same level of oversight of both frontier models as well as open weights models, and I think we should have a consistent framework, but kind of making sure that folks realize how important that is to what customers and are into is out there building on and that those open weights are a key building block of that, and we want to make sure that, however legislation lands, it lands evenly across all of those.
Speaker 3: Matt a question from our Bloomberg Tech audience for you is aws's attitude towards Kimmy K three. The open weight was released touly twenty seventh. You know, given the platform's AWS offers, what is the plan there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a great model.
Speaker 12: The team there has done a really nice job and we see really great performance there, and we'll continue to support in bedrock offering the Kimmi models. I think the interesting thing is also as you see many of these open weight companies, they're starting to think about how they make money in these models as well, and so they're starting to introduce licensing around some of these open weights models as when customers want to run them in a cloud environment, and so I anticipate that there's going to be a blending of some of these models too, where these companies won't continue to spend lots of money and then just offer their IP up to the world. They're going to be licensing models. They're going to have ways of making money on those as well. And you're starting to see that with some of the open weights models actually having some licensing around them. And so we'll keep supporting these in Bedrock and working with those companies in order to offer these in the best possible way.
Speaker 3: That's why I'd like to end the conversation the business case and economic opportunity for open models from aws's perspective. So if the model makers themselves would like to make money, you know, how does AWS see that going in your favor to make money from wide use of open models?
Speaker 12: Yeah, yeah, I mean we basically that is exactly what AWS. It's a great platform for companies to come and offer their IP and their capabilities to the world, and so everybody, whether they're startups, whether they're governments, whether they're large enterprises, everybody can build on top of AWS. And if they have choice and they have access to these different models, it allows companies to be able to come and monetize them and sell when they have you to customers to be able to offer value when they think that they can go at lower prices or better performance. And so having that open platform allows everybody to have that competitive chance. And AWS is a fantastic partner for all these model providers to get access to the broad set of customers. And so it's a great ecosystem where model providers benefit and customers benefit by having all these in the same place.
Speaker 3: Matt Garman, COOFAWS, Amazon Web Services back on Bloomberg Tech, thank you very much. Now, coming up, home battery startup base Power has a new valuation thirteen billion dollars. We're going to talk to CEO Zach Dell about its latest funding round and the launch of its US built.
Speaker 2: Home powering battery. That's next. This is Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 3: Rising demand for electricity in US is fueling investor interest in backing battery startups, among them base Power, which just closed a one billion dollar Series D round at a thirteen billion dollar post money valuation. Base Power CEO and co founder Zach Dell joins US now in Bloomberg Tech. A big round, right, and you know, inevitably part of needing the funds is to scale to get moving on the operations side. But let's start there, Like, what is it you want to do in the first instance, Zac, Yeah, Well.
Speaker 13: We really want to scale energy infrastructure to meet rising demand for power. So we build a hardware product that we install on homes, and we leverage a home battery that we design and manufacture ourselves, and we leverage those batteries to support the grid in times of high demand.
Speaker 5: So we're adding to basilely to the system to meet this.
Speaker 13: Rising demand from AI electrification, of heavy industry, of transportation. We're adding capacity the system through distributed batteries. The grid is able to use those batteries when demand is high, and the homeowners that are have those batteries in sold on their home are able to leverage those batteries when the grid.
Speaker 5: Goes out, Zach.
Speaker 3: This is a residential product right at a basic level. How tied is your fate and future to the adoption of solar in this country?
Speaker 5: Not really at all.
Speaker 13: Solar is a generation technology much like wind or gas or coal, and batteries are really mork into a.
Speaker 5: Transmission and distribution technology.
Speaker 13: So the way to think about it is that polls and wires move energy through space and batteries move energy through time, and so the battery is really a utilization tool that is helping increase the capacity factor of the system and bring down costs for everybody.
Speaker 3: So I ask you that, because the energy or electricity generation isn't the problem here, what is the problem that the base power is trying to solve for?
Speaker 13: Yeah, we've got a utilization problem on the grid today. So the grid is really built for peak demand, which means that most of the time we're not utilizing all of the infrastructure, which ends up being very expensive for rate payers or consumers of electricity. So by deploying batteries to the edge of the grid, you're able to increase the utilization, increase the capacity factor, and thereby lower costs for consumers.
Speaker 2: At home.
Speaker 3: I have a Tesla power Will three. It does rely on solar to charge it during the daytime. But let's talk about that as a comparison or a case study. At the technology level, the base call is better.
Speaker 2: How is different.
Speaker 5: How it's really designed to be a grid resource.
Speaker 13: So it's almost three maybe over three times the size, it's installed much faster, it's actually owned and operated by us the company based power and used as a grid resource. So when you go buy a home battery or a home generator, it's owned by the homeowner and it's really only there when the grid goes out. Our asset is really a piece of grid infrastructure. And so in partnership some of our utility partners, those batteries are used as a grid resource by the utility in times of high demand like I mentioned earlier, and then in the deregulated markets in Texas and Illinois where we operate, we use those batteries as a whole seal power asset. So we're really operating a fleet of infrastructure. Whereas those companies that sell batteries or generators, they're just trying to sell high margin hardware outfront. And our view is that batteries are really an infrastructure asset, and they're better sold and built kind of as such, right, and not really as a high margin product.
Speaker 2: Zach.
Speaker 3: I also feel like this is a Texas story from the manufacturing standpoint, right, you know this is going to be an American built technology. What were the challenges in establishing Texas is the base, the supply chain, making this an economically viable plan.
Speaker 13: Well, Texas is a fantastic place to build companies and also to establish manufacturing. And we see actually huge advantages in co locating engineering and manufacturing because the team that designs the product needs to be able to be very close to the team that builds the product. And so by coupling engineering and manufacturing and having that done by one team, one company, and one location, you get a bunch of efficiencies. It is much easier to iterate and you can move a lot faster.
Speaker 2: Should we talk about some of your investors in the round?
Speaker 3: What was the importance of assembling that group beyond just the checks that came in. What are you hoping to leverage from their experiences and their expertise. We're showing ribit Co two valor Ultimate Sense Capital D one.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 13: I mean, we're building the company to compound over many decades, and we want to establish a cap table that is aligned with that kind of long term thinking. So these investors who joined our capitable today and who've been investing with us now for a couple of rounds, they see the opportunity to scale the business across the US internationally and do that over a long period of time. And they add a lot of interesting insights perspectives, and they're really are thought partners and our operating partners day to day.
Speaker 5: So we're super lucky to have a whole.
Speaker 13: Host of new investors joining the cap table and then basically all of our majorgitcing investors reinvesting in the company.
Speaker 3: Earlier in the program, we had Valor Atomic CEO Isiah Taylor on you know, different part of the energy stack, but we talked about how is America doing in this domain?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 3: We talk a lot about China, how quickly China moves I guess at the nation level and at the federal level, are you getting everything you need, Zack to be able to execute in the way you want?
Speaker 2: Get the regulatory support?
Speaker 13: Yeah, Look, I think there's a lot of energy being applied, no pun intended to the space today, whether that's from the regulators or policy makers, but also entrepreneurs like like you know, our team at Base and the folks you mentioned earlier, some of the other companies entering the space. I mean, when we started Base three years ago, it was kind of unique to start an energy technology company. Either were not a lot of those out there, and now they're very common and you see them pop up all the time, and we love that. We think that the industry needs more great entrepreneurs and teams solving hard problems and helping us scale our capacity to consume electricity in this country. So I think we're in a really good spot and we've just got to keep executing relentlessly and building great solutions to some of these hard problems in the energy industry.
Speaker 3: You're building across the electric stack, and I kind of like read a lot about you and think you're pitching yourselves as like a next generation utility almost, And I think we should end the conversation with like, what is your relationship like with the existing utilities with the rest of the grid, because you're all kind of trying to move together in the same direction.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I wouldn't think of us really as a next generation utility. I would think of us as a modern energy technology company that is a provider of choice to the utilities to scale their infrastructure. So we work very closely with utilities with all kinds of utilities, with municipal utilities like Austin Energy, with co ops like Coserve and Gveck, with Investorr owned utilities like all Pass Electric and we build them technology solutions so they can scale their infrastructure and meet the moment, meet the rising demand that's coming from AI and all these things that you discuss all the time. There's an incredible inflection happening and energy consumption in America, and it's never been more important for the utilities to kind of step up and adapt, and we are really helping them do that. And it's our honor to work with the utilities. They're incredible partners and they have a huge responsibility in this coming decade, and we're really excited to partner with them.
Speaker 3: Zach very quickly, what's it like trying to hire right now the talent you need.
Speaker 13: Look, I think that we have an incredibly mission driven culture and company, and there's a lot of people out there, Hopefully some of them are watching the show that feels strongly that's scaling our capacity consumer electricity and really driving towards energy abundance on the path to human prosperity is one of the most uplifting and exciting missions that you can work on. And so we've had the great fortune of having tons of the best engineers in the world come to base and say, Hey, this is the mission I've got to be a part of and so we've had a really great time, frankly building out an incredible team Dan and Austin of just very mission aligned individuals, and we're excited to continue to grow that team as we conin to scale a business.
Speaker 3: Zach Dell, co founder and CEO of Based Power, thank you very much. In tea, there's a lot of other tech headlines. It's time for talking tech and first start South Korean AI chit designer DPEX secured funding it roughly four times its previous valuation, buffing the firm to two point two billion dollars. The news comes months after the startup, which developed semiconductor architecture tailored for AI tasks, said it secured over thirty mass production contracts from customers across eight countries plus. According to a PwC survey the thousand finance executives, eighty six percent of his ex said they thought AI training was more valuable than an MBA for new hires. Ninety one percent of those execs also said they were willing to pay according increasing compensation for AI literate employees, pointing to a growing urgency for firms to adopt AI tech and Spider Man Brand New Day was the biggest debut in Hollywood history, with the movie opening to three hundred and sixty million dollars in the US and Canada. Was a smashing success in China too, hauling the country out of its post pandemic Hollywood slump and contributing to a global box office debut of nine hundred twenty seven million dollars. That does it for this edition of Bloomberg Tech. These are the earnings that we're looking at this week. Earnings continues. We've got Palenteer SpaceX first ever earnings report and call as a public company, AMD a big one in the AI infrastructure space, and then later a focus on entertainment, the economy Paramount, Disney Uber all on Wednesday, Sorry Disney and Uber on Wednesday Recap Everything on the.
Speaker 2: Podcast was a pretty fast start to the week.
Speaker 3: You know where to find it on the terminal, on all Bloomberg platforms and online on Apple, Spotify, and iHeart.
Speaker 2: Have a great week. This is Bloomberg Tech.