Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: From the most trusted journalist at Comedy Central.
Speaker 1: Is America's only source for news. This is the Daily Show.
Speaker 2: With your host Jordan level Job. I'm going to platform. We got so much to talk about. Tonight, we find out who Joe Biden is going to pardon, Inflation is falling, and Fox News says voting for a woman makes you gay. Plus my guest tonight from Monty Python, the legendary Eric Idol is here. Let's get into a decision twenty twenty four. Let's kick things off with the number one issue for voters, the economy, everyone's favorite system of producing and distributing goods and services. Inflation has been a major headache for America the past few years. But for those of you who like paying less for things, today brought some welcome.
Speaker 3: News, some new economic info. Just today we have new inflation numbers. Annual inflation right now two point four percent.
Speaker 4: That's according to the.
Speaker 3: Consumer Price Index. It is inflation's lowest point in three years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sucking inflation, Suck it. You get down and you stay down. Now, for those of you who aren't big CPI heads like myself, two point four percent inflation is getting pretty close to the Fed's target level of two percent, which was chosen because it's Jerome Powell's favorite kind of milk. Of course, good news for the Biden Harris economy is bad news for Donald Trump, who is campaigning against the Biden Harris administration. But throughout this campaign, Trump has had a very subtle way of casting doubt on positive economic reports. See if you can catch it.
Speaker 5: Wall Street ends the week on a positive note to daw and Acid P five hundred, both hitting record highs.
Speaker 6: We are a nation whose economy is collapsing into a cesspool of ruins.
Speaker 3: Twenty twenty four has kicked off with a.
Speaker 4: Bang, three hundred fifty three thousand jobs.
Speaker 2: We're out of the You're gonna lose your jobs, main street hiring, firing on all cylinders here.
Speaker 7: The economy has just been reported to be doing very badly.
Speaker 8: One month gainan job worth best since Jared twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: Your economy is doing terribly.
Speaker 3: The numbers that we're getting on the real economy show that it's holding up remarkably well.
Speaker 2: The Biden economy is a nightmare.
Speaker 9: If look at that sparkling consumer staples, everything's looking great here, but keep.
Speaker 2: Hearing about their economy.
Speaker 6: Their economy is terrible.
Speaker 3: The Blue Chips make history for the fourth straight day.
Speaker 10: It's the worst economy that we've ever had.
Speaker 1: Jobs are up, the stock market hit that all time high. Do you acknowledge that the economy is improving?
Speaker 2: No, it's not no that the economy says what what now? Look in Trump's defense, just because the numbers are good doesn't mean people are struggling. I mean, just the other day I saw one very desperate American pawning everything he owns for chump change. You know, so sad that bitcoin was a family heirlome. His grandfather smelled it out of Europe and his ass But well, on improving economy is a boost to Kamala Harris. She's got another big problem on her hands.
Speaker 5: What is becoming a growing concern among Democrats and the Harris campaign that she is indeed struggling with with male voters.
Speaker 4: Among men, Trump.
Speaker 2: Has a sizeable lead. He's beating Harris by twelve points. Wow, wow, twelve points. Really, that's that's a lot. I mean, surely men would be open minded about having a female president. You know what, Hey, God, let me let me check something.
Speaker 11: Okay, let me see all right here, okay, all right, oh no series okay, whoa oh god, oh god, alright, oh my yeah oh okay no no, no.
Speaker 2: That checks out yet that checks out. So perhaps this shouldn't come as a huge surprise. There's a reason why America has the same number of female presidents as the Taliban. There's a certain type of person who thinks that voting for a woman makes you less of a man, and that type of person is on TV.
Speaker 4: No real men would ever vote for Kamala Harris.
Speaker 2: I don't see why.
Speaker 4: Any man would vote Democrat.
Speaker 5: That person has mommy issues or they're just trying to be accepted by other women.
Speaker 1: I vote like real men, and I vote for the Conservative.
Speaker 8: The Democratic Party has been emasculating men for decades.
Speaker 2: Kamala Harris picking up a shovel, It's like she's never ever used one before.
Speaker 5: If you want weak men and the angry women around them.
Speaker 1: Like, that's the party for you, for sure, exactly.
Speaker 2: Republicans are the party of real men, real tough men who are strong and love America and won't back down and hate Democrat run cities because there's so many scary people there Oh, mama, please don't let me get murdered when I'm going through the streets. Oh god, mommy, the streets are dirty and they were immigrants.
Speaker 6: Please please please demopt Mommy, I sound scared.
Speaker 2: That's how a real man feels. But that's what right wingers believe. If you're a man who votes for a woman, your penis evaporates and then you just walk out of the voting booth with a smooth mound with an eye voted sticker on it. But it's not just Democrat voters who aren't real men. The Democratic Party itself is so emasculated that not only is it it's presidential nominee not a male, but her male running mate isn't even a male.
Speaker 10: Women love masculinity, and women do not love Tim Walls. So that should just tell you about how masculine Tim Walls is.
Speaker 2: Tim Waltz trying to basically redefine what masculinity is.
Speaker 4: He's like the soft man. You look at the way that Tim Walls dances around on the stage.
Speaker 5: It's not someone who comes across as in this alpha male, someone who's a killer. Here's twitchy Tim on stage, waving profusely in a very unsettling manner, very unsettling.
Speaker 4: To Tim Waltz. Jazz hands and high kicking tour men should not move this way.
Speaker 10: The other day, you saw him with a vanilla ice cream shake had a straw in it.
Speaker 4: Oh again, that tells you everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Real men don't drink milkshakes with a straw. You crawl your way into a cow and drink it from the inside, or you punch the milkshake then lick the remains off your head. Or and this one maybe is a long shot. Real men don't have opinions about the right way to drink of vanilla milkshakee I don't know, I don't know. You know, this really shows you how much they love moving the goalposts. Democrats nominated a deer hunting military vet football coach who can change a spark plug. And you're like, but have you seen the way he waves? You know? For a bunch of manly men, you guys are some catty little bitches. Look, I'm not here to condemn anyone as an impartial fake journalist. It's not my place to say that pointing at someone and calling him a worse is in any way inappropriate for a serious political party. But I should warn conservatives that some of the shots they're taking might be hitting one particular target they didn't mean to, because.
Speaker 4: Wouldn't want strong man.
Speaker 2: We don't want these exactly woke that, you know, focus more in their hair. I'm just checking out the hairstyle as I'm talking.
Speaker 4: Men.
Speaker 10: Just look at another man and you can kind of know if he's an athlete, kind of look at the way he can go down the stairs. Being a real man is about having personal responsibility.
Speaker 2: January sixth, Is there anything you regret about what you did on that day?
Speaker 4: I had nothing to do with that.
Speaker 2: The hug is not the way you hug your wife. You hug your wife from the body. You don't hug like this.
Speaker 5: There's twitchy Tim on stage, waving profusely in a.
Speaker 1: Very unsettling manner.
Speaker 2: Men should not move this way.
Speaker 4: It's not the way we move.
Speaker 2: Lesson to those meanings, Donald, Lesson to them.
Speaker 4: Nothing is more manly.
Speaker 2: Than your dance moves, Donnie. Nothing for more on the gender divide, Let's go Live to Washington with Troy Iwana. Troy Roy, is this strategy of saying only real men vote for Trump really that effective? I mean, why do Republicans think this strategy works well.
Speaker 1: It appeals to men's top concern.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, like the economy or jobs.
Speaker 7: No, not being called gay? Yeah, it goes prostate cancer, teens laughing at your cyber truck gay.
Speaker 2: I gotta say, you know, that's so sad. I thought in the year twenty twenty four other men would have moved past this latent homophobic fear that somebody will think they're gay.
Speaker 1: Well, of course, you know you and I don't mind.
Speaker 7: You know, as gay men were You're.
Speaker 2: A gay man. I'm not gay.
Speaker 7: Oh okay, Well, anyways, regardless, the Trump campaign is hoping that.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm sorry, I mean, just what what what made you think I was? I was gay? Was it was it? It was like the palmade.
Speaker 1: That's part of it.
Speaker 2: What do you mean? What do you mean part of it?
Speaker 1: What's wrong? Jordan?
Speaker 7: You're feeling uncomfyed, You're thinking of voting for Trump?
Speaker 2: Now, I mean, I mean maybe, I mean if I did with that, would that make me straight? I mean I am straight. I just I can satisfy my wife. She'll tell you that you can call her. Feel free to call her.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to call your wife and ask her that.
Speaker 7: But you see what I mean, right, You're you're sweating, You're you're questioning.
Speaker 2: God, damn it, you're rights, You're rights, You're spot on. This is this is powerful stuff. See how are Democrats supposed to fight this?
Speaker 1: They shouldn't.
Speaker 7: You can't fight decades of ingrained homophobia. Instead, Democrats need to just go all in on gay Just lean into it, all right, Just tell straight men we don't want you anymore, okay, And I promise if they get into power, the government will go all gay. I'm talking no more state dinners, just long brunches. I'm talking Britney Spears doing her knives stance at the inauguration, you know, and no more war. Just let Eurovision settle it all, you know, Sure, try bud.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well we'll guys. Costs Democrats the straight mail vote.
Speaker 6: Who needs it?
Speaker 7: You get gay men plus women who like gay men. That's like, that's like fifty six percent of the country.
Speaker 1: That's the whole sports game.
Speaker 2: You said you said sports game. I think you mean ballgame.
Speaker 1: Oh I keep forgetting your straight Why do.
Speaker 2: You keep forgett Why do you keep her getting? Why do you would look how much I can weightlift?
Speaker 4: Do you see this?
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, yeah, because all gay men hate working out.
Speaker 2: Okay, damn all right, joy one everyone, we'll come back Ricky. We'll give up to his opinion.
Speaker 4: A president as a barn.
Speaker 6: Don't go away, listen a bar.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to the Daily Show.
Speaker 2: We all know that I've got great opinions, but I'm not the only one. Study show that other people also have opinions. So here was another installment of in my opinion is our good friend Ricky Biles.
Speaker 4: Hi.
Speaker 8: We are one month away from a presidential election, and people are really nervous that Donald Trump is gonna win.
Speaker 4: Not me, though, I think Kamala has it in the back. Okay, yeah, wow.
Speaker 8: She's been endorsed by the most beloved Americans of all time, like Liz Cheney. Every barbershop in this country there's always three photos Biggie Obama and Liz Chainy.
Speaker 4: But still people believe Trump.
Speaker 8: If Trump wins, he's going to abuse the criminal justice system to go after his enemies and pardon all his friends. And when they said that, I was like, WHOA, that's not the Trump I know. But then they made me do some research and I looked into things and it turns out that the last time he was president, he pardoned a ton of people.
Speaker 3: President Trump, on a pardoning spree.
Speaker 8: Granted reprieves to Paul Manniford, Rogerstone and Michael Flynn.
Speaker 2: Two people convicted by Robert Muller's prosecutors.
Speaker 4: Three former Republican Congressmens.
Speaker 2: Junk Bond, King, Michael Milkin.
Speaker 6: Dared Kushner's father, Charles Kushner.
Speaker 4: Denish Tsuza scherk, Joe or Payo.
Speaker 8: Bernard Kerrick, Rod Blagoyevitch, Lil Wayne, and Kodak Black.
Speaker 4: Dang ah Is did he just sitting in jail alone right now? No, no wonder.
Speaker 8: Trump wants to be president again so he can finish the job. And he's going to pardon Diddy, Google Ditty and Trump pictures. I dare you they have more pictures together than I have with my own family. Seriously, I've seen these pictures. He's at every party. I don't understand it. He doesn't drink, he doesn't smoke.
Speaker 4: What is he doing there? What's the vice? I think I have found it out. It has something to do with baby oil. Who else does he want to pardon?
Speaker 8: Maybe his homie Steve Bannon but I'm guessing that Bannon doesn't want I want to leave prison. He's in there like, uh, these are my people. And I didn't know there's so many Nazis in prison. What is this utopia? That's where he's at. Oh and Trump will also.
Speaker 4: Pardon the January six soldiers right right.
Speaker 8: He asked me no, because you know he needs them for the next January six. You don't want all your star players sitting on the bench, right, And he's being very coy about it. But there's another guy that I think Donald Trump is definitely gonna pardon.
Speaker 10: Mister president, if you were reelected, would you pardon yourself?
Speaker 6: Let me just tell you, I said, the last thing I'd ever do is give myself a pardon.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 8: I think he's lying. This dude is going to pardon himself, and he should. The pardon is the coolest power a president gets, and every president doesn't, even my boy Abraham Lincoln. He pardoned his wife's sister, which I totally understand.
Speaker 4: I have a wife. You know how hard it is to argue with them. Imagine, oh, so you'll free the slaves, but not my sister. That has to be But Lincoln sitting there just being like she's a bitch.
Speaker 2: She said my hat was gay.
Speaker 8: For the love of God, I hope I die at this play tonight. The only president who has been boring about pardons and is our boring President Joe Biden. He won't even pardon his son because supposedly.
Speaker 4: It wouldn't be right.
Speaker 8: It's right, It doesn't matter. It's you're right, Joe. How bad was Hunter Away?
Speaker 3: The President's done guilty of three felony counts for illegally possessing a gun while he was addicted to crack cocaine.
Speaker 8: Hunter Biden spent money on strippers, on luxury cars, on drugs.
Speaker 4: Smoking crack every twenty minutes or so.
Speaker 8: Biden wired an employee money and labeled it a golf member deposit, when, according to prosecutors.
Speaker 1: It was used to purchase a membership in a sex club.
Speaker 8: Okay, okay, before we go any further, I just want to put this on record.
Speaker 4: I would party with Hunter ride Hunt, hit me up, dog.
Speaker 8: I'm about that much. Come on, Joe, he's your own flesh and blood. You know, flesh and blood. That's stuff that used to be in your face. Just pardon him instead of wasting all your pardens on shit like this.
Speaker 9: Thanksgiving is less than a week away here in the US, and two turkeys won't be on the dinner table thanks to your presidential pardon. US President Joe Biden pardoned peanut, butter and jelly on Friday.
Speaker 8: Turkeys. Dude, Seriously, that's what we're doing, turkeys. Do you feel bad for them just because they look like you?
Speaker 4: Listen.
Speaker 8: If you think the pardon power is unfair, then change it in the constitution.
Speaker 4: But until then you can't hate on it. I'll tell you.
Speaker 8: Something, If I was president, I'd be throwing pardons left and right. I'd be the Oprah of pardons. Look underneath your seat, Tiger King, your pardoned. I need another season.
Speaker 2: Pregre the lads, everybody a week. Come back, Eric over, don't lead.
Speaker 4: All about the day show.
Speaker 2: I guess today is an award winning comedy legend and founding member of Monty Python, whose latest book is The spam Alot Diaries. Please welcome Eric Idyl WHOA.
Speaker 4: I have to get it out of the way.
Speaker 2: This is a huge treat for me. I would not be doing comedy in this world if it wasn't for you and the folks at Monty Python, So thank you. There was a fifteen year period before I actually got legitimate employment in comedy, and during those fifteen years, I would have cursed you if I saw you on the streets. But once I found a little bit of employment in comedy, now you've become a get once again. So thank you. Thank you.
Speaker 6: Yes, well that's very kind of I'll take all the praise for that. Thank you.
Speaker 4: You get it off, I get it.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this book is fascinating.
Speaker 2: You said you kept a diary while you were working on Spam a loot on Broadway, and then you found it years later as you were cleaning out the house.
Speaker 6: I found it two years ago where we were moving and my wife and I were moving out of our big house to a smaller house. We call it downsize Abbey. And it's something that happens as you get older. You'll find out and that you find all the shit you've accumulated for over twenty four years. And you know, and I found that this diary that I'd kept during the time we were rehearsing and making Spam a lot here in New York, and it was it was it was an eye opener. Actually, I rather enjoyed it because you know, and I tell about how how we quarreled and fought, and there were lots of arguments and things, which is which I find fascinating. And I kept it in the book because I think it's important that you can you can all you with people and disagree and fight and it's okay because you know you're making something creative.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, So wait, is that is it an argument for hoarding or an argument for cleaning?
Speaker 6: Well, I mean I went to boarding school, but my wife went to hoarding school. I am much bad as her. I have twenty seven guitars. I mean I only got two hands. So yeah, I mean, you just keep stuff. You just don't throw it away, is all you do. And then at the end you've got to try and decide what to do.
Speaker 2: Now, it's interesting to talk about, like the creative process is about bringing different ideas fighting, finding the best idea of the one that wins. Part of what I loved about reading this is the director Mike Nichols acclaimed director legend, Mike Nichols. You're working with Mike Nichols here, who uh who? You mentioned? He was looking for meaning in everything, and it felt as if correct me if I'm wrong. So much of Python and some of the creation that you're working off and came out of silliness. And he was trying to impose meaning on top of certain things.
Speaker 6: I don't think you mean meaning. I think what what he always was saying is you've got to believe in it. I mean, you really must believe in it, because if you don't believe in it, why should the audience believe in it? And I said, you're talking about the knights who say me. I mean he said, nevertheless, you must. They must believe that they are the knights who say me. Otherwise it's not funny. And I think it's true, like something like the Ministry of Silly Walks. If you don't take it seriously, it's not funny. It has to be serious ministry that's giving out awards for people to walk silly. If there's for any second you let on it's a joke. It's not funny.
Speaker 2: Now as you've gotten a claim and been writing comedy for half a freaking century.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 2: One of the things I respect so much about you is you're still out there, You're still creating, You're you're hitting the road in a week. Has your process shifted in that way. It's got to be harder to continue to write when you have you have legend status and the ability to do something is going to be it's going to be seen by so many other people and dissecting in different ways. Have you had to evolve and change with that?
Speaker 6: I think we learned. I was we were in a club called Footlights Club in Cambridge and I was nineteen, and you you learn I mean, what what I got used to was writing a new show and doing it in the fall. And I've still got into that, you know, that feeling and doing it and I think it's the same always. You still never sure whether it's funny or until you give it to the audience, and they're the ones who tell you whether it's.
Speaker 4: Funny or not.
Speaker 6: And then if you're lucky, you get away with it. So we'll see. I'm going to New Zealand to give it a fair try. Actually I thought they said New York, but the line was very bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, very different.
Speaker 6: I'm appearing in front of a lot of sheep.
Speaker 2: How are you expecting that? You've been on the road, You've dealt with modern audiences famously, Your your money Python copatriot John Cleese has been prickly about some modern woke comedy audiences. Have you seen a shift in the way people are responding to your humor?
Speaker 6: Not to my particular humor. No, I mean I open Sketch Fest in January in San Francisco, and I think, I think, if you treat the audiences respectfully and you say, what's funny, I mean, if you you can't be hip and cuel and all that at at eighty one, you know, but you can also you can not be you can't be unthoughtful. You must be you must be mindful of what people are thinking. And I think you know, my job is to make them laugh, and I like to hear them laugh. And it's I think it's a sickness. I think you your desperately need real sure terrible weakness. But it makes me happy to do that.
Speaker 4: I like my job.
Speaker 6: And I also think my job is cheering people up, so I always have to see you always look on the bright side of life. But which is funny because it's become the number one funeral song in England. Whether that's a good.
Speaker 4: Thing or a bad pain.
Speaker 6: I mean it's a good thing, but the bad thing is they don't give any royalties.
Speaker 2: I consider it for my funeral, either that or loving the Elevator by Aerosmith. I haven't decided yet living it up while you're going down, but it is that, there is something about it. I joke about that, but it is true. What is it like having the last word on somebody's life?
Speaker 6: Well, I'm not that, you know. I actually I think it's rather good. I think it's very healthy. I think, you know, at these times of a great emotion, I think laughter and tears are very close together, and it's nice to be able to sing. Everybody sings, you know, and I think that's very I think that's very healthy. I think it's not it's much healthier than some dirgy old hymn.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think. I mean you even watching the news today, people are so exhausted by what's happening globally climate. There's solar flares, there's an election that's coming up that everyone is, Oh.
Speaker 6: We're not wearing solar flares anymore.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, damn.
Speaker 4: I miss that.
Speaker 6: We have a new moon and everything do everything?
Speaker 2: Yeah every month. Yeah, yeah, it's a it's a dark, depressing time. How do you always look on the bright side of light when you're faced with a twenty four hour news cycle.
Speaker 6: I don't watch, but my wife watches everything. I don't get a vote, so you know, it doesn't matter what I think anyway, but my wife watches everything is very involved, and I like to read a book and play guitar and have a bit of a jam with some friends, you know. So I think it's healthier. I think this endless news cycle drives people crazy. It's too much. You can't you know, it goes on forever and it seems to be going on for four years already. Yeah, so I mean I'll be glad it's over.
Speaker 2: Oh it's it's never going to be. It's but you know what you have to do well, so always look at Thank you very much, okay, yes, yes, yes, it truly is a joint. Thank you for making me laugh and the world laugh for so long, and good luck continuing in New Zealand. Check your plate to make sure you yes.
Speaker 10: Yes.
Speaker 2: The Spamland Diaries is available now, Eric Idyl. That's not a shelf tonight. But before we go, World Central Kitchen is on the ground now providing meals to communities impacted by the recent hurricanes. If you can, please support this amazing organization in their work at the link below. Now Here it is your moment is that?
Speaker 4: Mister President?
Speaker 1: Have you spoken with President Trump at all?
Speaker 6: Are you kidding me? Mister President Trump, Former President Trump, get a life, man, help these people.
Speaker 3: You're going to hold this accountable.
Speaker 8: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you.
Speaker 2: Get your podcast. Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven ten Central on Comedies Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount plus Paramount Podcasts.
Speaker 9: H