Speaker 1: The following.
Speaker 2: He is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 3: Cowboys. This He's Talking Cowboys, springing live.
Speaker 4: From the Dallas Cowboys World headquarters at.
Speaker 1: The Star in Frisco. Don't jack Burgers there. That's got kidsdown.
Speaker 2: And now your hosts, Isaiah Standback, Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez, and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 1: Go Dallas Cowboy.
Speaker 3: For the first time since two thousand and three, the Dallas Cowboys put the beat down on the New York Jets.
Speaker 1: It was a butt whooping from the get go. I don't care what the final score said.
Speaker 3: The final score still was a win thirty seven twenty two, but I'm talking about the thirty to three lead the Cowboys had before garbage time on the road. It's the first road win of the twenty twenty five season, first road win under Brian Schottenheimer. And for those that are out there saying New York is the greatest city on Earth, no, I completely agree, because guess what the Cowboys are two to oh against the City of New York in twenty twenty five. Welcome into Talking Cowboys, presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, live from the Star in Frisco, Texas and the SWBC studios. Welcome in everybody. We've got the whole cast and crew ready for you to rock today. Patrick Nocy, Walker, Josh Rodriguez, Isaiah Standback, Chrispy Back.
Speaker 1: I'm Kyle Yeoman's SmackDown, beat Down. It was a smack Dawn. See what you did to my friend? Oh boo oh, there we go.
Speaker 5: Me watching the chat.
Speaker 6: No, it's you always watched in the chat because you're engaged absolutely with the fans.
Speaker 5: I love these fans. Thank you so much for listening to talking cowboys. We are here on a victory Monday.
Speaker 6: You guys just aren't the fans. You guys are a fan fam. Yep, fan fam. You don't fanly?
Speaker 1: I like if you will.
Speaker 5: You seem excited today, And that's funny because I was talking to Chris in the back and Chris mentioned, are we getting KOI is a today because we beat the.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 6: I'm watching a film, man, you know me get here early, get a little breakfast.
Speaker 1: No, no, you've got black Rifle coffee to watch film.
Speaker 5: So no reason to be koy about a loss against the Windless Jets.
Speaker 6: Listen, not at all, you know what I feel good about the win. And listen, you don't you don't control who's on your schedule. Yea, you control with with with what you do with whom is on your schedule. And the Dallas Cowboys took care of business. And I would like to give a lot of kudos today.
Speaker 5: Do there's no no smelly stickers, No man, it's.
Speaker 6: Okay, we'll time you in the break. I would like to give a lot of kudos out. No smelly sticker right now. Decide who's going to get that. I haven't done that. Actually, yeah, yeah, you weren't here. It's been a minute here, Yeah, it's been a while. Didn't do it a lot last year. I would like to give a shout out, okay to shot On Himer in his entire staff.
Speaker 1: Absolutely shout out to the entire staff.
Speaker 5: They're Clayton Adams.
Speaker 6: Clayton Adams and what they've done on Riley Connor Riley, what they've done with that unit to where there is no substantial drop off, there's no apparent drop off. Now you can always say our starters are going to perform better because their starters, but there has not been a drop off where you're able to identify, Ah, I wish we had so and so. Right, they have been productive as an offensive line unit, and because of that, the ground game has continued. Who has been the benefactor of the ground game. Javonte Williams Number one. Javonte Williams has had career numbers career, he had a career. He's had career touchdowns right ted his career touchdown yesterday.
Speaker 1: He's also had career yardage end up in a game yesterday.
Speaker 6: The I'm assuming his yards per per carry his probably career at the top of his career as well, I would say so. My friend Dak Prescott top of the league in terms of passing right, his efficiency fell off a little bit yesterday, but.
Speaker 1: Overall, all right, he's still killing it.
Speaker 6: George Pickens, the benefactor of offensive line, the benefactor of Dak Prescott, the benefactor of this running game. George Pickens had career numbers. Now, okay, you're talking about record number of touchdowns and his career tied for it already through the first five games. Talk about the amount of yardage that he's getting, all right, he didn't get a bunch of yards yesterday, but just overall, he's.
Speaker 1: Got a heck of a job. So everybody seemingly is having their best.
Speaker 5: Huh.
Speaker 1: It's kind of interesting how these are.
Speaker 3: Offensive saying, okay, let's talk about the defense then, I would love to talk about the defense.
Speaker 1: Defense.
Speaker 3: The first time the defense got any resemblance of a pass rush all year long, do you know what happened when the pass rush was able to finish?
Speaker 5: Secondary look pretty good?
Speaker 1: Correct, Damn secondary did their job.
Speaker 6: Damn good's It's kind of funny that you bring that up because there were some different guys on defense yesterday. Yeah, Thomas played, Yes, he did well, and he played well. You had James James, James Houston. Oh, James Houston.
Speaker 1: Is that James Houston? Yeah, so those two guys, that's James, That's James Houston.
Speaker 6: Those two guys that showed up for you in the preseason, right, So people were wondering why it felt, you know, some type of way about some of our practice squad guys kind of getting taken. Those are guys that performed in the preseason as well. These guys were on the roster and performed well in the preseason. Wine has been a contributor on special teams for years. These guys performed. Well, Ah, there's this linebacker that I've been asking speaking of j Jamar James, that.
Speaker 1: Guy number fifty and how many tackles did he have?
Speaker 7: Heif team actually had more of a penalties than negated two or three other ones.
Speaker 1: But yeah, fifteen to fifteen.
Speaker 5: Hold on, get ready for the most obnoxious talking Cowboys episode of all time, because this is a big time we told you so episode.
Speaker 1: Oh it's true across the I was gonna say it, but you said it. So since you said.
Speaker 7: Hello, I'm gonna jump back to office because there's something I want to lobbed.
Speaker 1: Josh.
Speaker 5: We told you about, Mark told and we're gonna save this.
Speaker 1: Pushed my microe away and oh no, you you're ready, You're ready.
Speaker 7: I need you to enjoy your Javante Williams one hundred yard game in the first half.
Speaker 5: I said it with my chest and it was a smashing machine. That's that's ultimately what we bought tickets to do.
Speaker 7: We say that, that's we did say that. That's when I bought tickets.
Speaker 5: Now we didn't we ultimately did.
Speaker 1: You and I were on the same page and we did.
Speaker 5: We got the Third Down movie.
Speaker 1: I bought the smash. We went to the Third Down movie. But I bought those tickets. You're in my back pocket.
Speaker 5: Took those for free.
Speaker 1: You went for the free damn.
Speaker 7: So we got Sar James, Yes, Williams yeah, Hive yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 7: Let me let me tell you something by Let me tell you somebody he just dropped. Let me oh, here we go, here we go, say Kendrick in the check, in the check, you're absolutely right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you beat me to it. Ryan Flinoyd, say it again, running.
Speaker 7: Hey, make sure you say his name is Flinoyd. How many Ryan Flinoyd career game?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 1: My god? My one hundred and fourteen on six receptions. I also had ten more on the ground.
Speaker 7: He was a running back two, Which is why when I asked Dak Prescott about one of his biggest attributes, he said strength.
Speaker 1: So what was one of the bigger attributes? I said about flinoid physicality?
Speaker 7: Ability to dominate the line of scrimens, press, cover right, attack at the high point, and run routes.
Speaker 1: We saw all those things on the full display yesterday.
Speaker 7: It's almost like it's almost like it's almost like he should have got these opportunities before.
Speaker 1: No, it's almost like he.
Speaker 6: A game breaker. Oh so how many career games was that? Flinoy Uh huh? James Houston, Jamar Jay, uh huh. William Yeah, George Piggins.
Speaker 1: That's right. Show your showed right home.
Speaker 6: Just saying, just saying they were playing against other professionals. I know what people are gonna say. Okay, I'm not saying that our fans and our fan FANOM five, they're professional athletes, Okay, are they as good as they want to be? Absolutely freaking out nobody wants to be that. But they were who were on the schedule and that's what you had to take care of for that.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, right here, continue talking, Yeah, go ahead. Oh that's a great that's a great sign. Continue talking. Patrick is holding up.
Speaker 3: A sign that says this does not underline it in all caps, not imply the Cowboys will win the Super Bowl, which.
Speaker 1: I completely agree with.
Speaker 3: But it's one heck of a building block. It is a building block. This is a step in the right direction. Your defense Sorry for my language for all those family users out there, has played like ass throughout.
Speaker 1: They did not. They did not play like that against the Jets. They did not play like that. They played well. The defense finishes with five sacks.
Speaker 3: They took the ball away from a team that struggles to hold on to the football. They did not play like that in this matchup, and that's a step.
Speaker 1: In the right direction. I don't care who you're playing.
Speaker 5: This is a big win, not only for the Dallas Cowboys, for talking Cowboys. Genuinely, I mean that because these are guys that we've talked about since training camp. These are guys that we've been championing. And then unfortunately Jack Sanborn had the concussion protocol. He was out for the rest of the game. To have Shamar James come in, and honestly, that changed the vibe of your defense. He was able to fly to the football if you read the wrong read, he was able to get to a pretty quick and make tackle. One thing that you didn't see last week that you saw this week were tackles. Like we just said, Jamar James fifteen tackles. Amazing for a backup linebacker that we've said maybe he should be in the rotation earlier more than not. Anyways, to get past the I told you so stuff, one of the main things that.
Speaker 6: Get past the what I told told you so, I told you so? We just say it all together. I told you so, Okay, good, this is one of those episodes.
Speaker 1: Guys.
Speaker 5: Sorry, we need we need to We've had.
Speaker 1: A lot of losing.
Speaker 5: We've had a lot of recently, guys. Yeah, yeah, we got to embrace this a lot. And for those listeners out there that know, just just give us a break on this one. But guys, one thing I want to shout out here, and we're talking about the defense and making plays. You know, early on in that game, first drive, I was like, okay, this is one third down conversion after note, that's what this movie is about to be. Guys. Let me paint you a picture, real quick, Picasso second goal at the three yard line on the first drive of the game. The j just score here. The Cowboys are down seven to zero on the first drive of the game, which has been proven to be un good for the Dallas Cowboys when they're having to play from behind. Granted it's the first drive, but it's just the implications of it, and it's just not good.
Speaker 1: For the Dallas Cowboys. Bad vibes, bad vibes.
Speaker 5: So second and yeah, second and goal at the three yard line. Solomon Thomas, Yeah, unblocked tackle for loss on Briece Hall, a guy that you had a really hard time bringing down today or bringing down yesterday the entire day. But Solomon Thomas as a former Jet getting his revenge a little bit. He was there for three years. He kind of had a mellow chip on the hold for that unblocked loss. Four yard loss. That was the change of pacing.
Speaker 1: You might want to block that. What happened next?
Speaker 5: Oh and then who was it? But Dante Fowler got involved.
Speaker 7: We've been asking Dante Fowler to refine his form. Dante Folla grantity uses his head, arguable a head, hands chest doesn't matter to me.
Speaker 1: He passed breakup.
Speaker 5: Shoes.
Speaker 1: A little bit of boosy in there. Yeah, I mean Dante Fowler.
Speaker 7: He gets involved in if not for the Skycamp, maybe Kenny Clark comes down with.
Speaker 1: The interception, who knows. And then that drive to your point in in a field goal, I don't go, no touchdown.
Speaker 5: Manageable way to come back after a drive like that. Ben don't break was the certification of the Dallas Cowboys defense all day long.
Speaker 1: I do have to bring up one sore spot. I'm glad you will. Yeah, I don't want to be all Yeah, we got to bring us down. We got to be able to analyze well. And that's the part of it.
Speaker 3: It's this team is not going to win the Super Bowl because they beat the O and fort No, no, no, no, It's plain and simple. There's there are things to.
Speaker 6: Get better at. You cannot win the Super Bowl if you miss extra points. I mean, come on, Brandon, and I thought this was the worst day. Come on, man, freaking a contribute. I can't believe you kick it out of the mount and he kicked it out of Bountick.
Speaker 1: What the heck, Brandon Aubery, your worst game of your career. I'm glad it happened this day.
Speaker 3: I'm glad it happened when it was thirty to three and it didn't happen when it was what was it.
Speaker 1: Forty seven, forty four? Whatever the fire?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's thirty seven thirty four and we needed a sixty four yard field goal to keep us from going Ohen for everyone has often yeah, a little.
Speaker 1: Human, but he's still Brandon Aubrey.
Speaker 7: I want to I want to circle real quick back to something Isaiah said because I pointed it out on Twitter yesterday on X This coaching staff on the offensive side of the ball. Obviously, we're giving a lot of rightful credit to Brian Schottenheimer for, you know, orchestrating the league's best offense. Okay, the hiring of Clayton Adams and Connor Riley.
Speaker 1: That combo pack is nasty.
Speaker 7: Freaking work when you can have because Clayton Adams has a big hand in coordinating the offensive schemes going into each game, so he has you know, so there, there's that. But also he has the duality of being a heralded offensive line coach out of Arizona, So you combine that with Connor Riley and what he can do as the offensive line coach heralded out of Kansas State, bring those together. Like Isaiah said, and Quentin Williams yesterday, let me just illustrate the point with Quinn Williams.
Speaker 1: Did you hear his name? No? You know why he didn't hear his name. Here's why.
Speaker 7: He only had three tackles, he had only one quarterback pressure, he had only one run stuff, and he had zero sacks. One of the things Kyp pointed out last week when we were previewing this offense versus that defense, is Quinn Williams not only is a monster at stopping the run only one run Stove, but he also is a monster in the past rush zero sex not only one pressure on Dak Prescott.
Speaker 1: Let me detail this for you.
Speaker 7: Even further left to right, you had Nate Thomas, was it, O brock Hoffman and TJ.
Speaker 1: Bass, four backups.
Speaker 7: To the left of Terrence Steele, and still Dak Prescott was only sacked one time by McGregor when the game was well out of hand.
Speaker 1: That's the most impressive thing in my unbelief. Connor Riley Clayton Adams, You're you're missing cd Lamb. That's one thing.
Speaker 3: This first time, first time the Cowboys have ever won a game without Ceedee Lamb catching a pass. Just by the way, since he was drafted in twenty twe that's crazy. So with all that being said, you're missing your number one target. That's tough in its own right, but missing guys on the offensive line is a completely different antisident. You know this as a former, when you have to deal with the cohesion up front, when you have to deal with a different ball snapper, when you're communication center, that communication and then you've got to move positions. Hikema Tenergy has played what throughout majority of his time in Dallas, He's played tackle, He's playing left guard.
Speaker 1: He's going in there and playing left guard. Nate Thomas did not.
Speaker 3: Play his entire rookie season, really didn't practice his entire rookie season.
Speaker 1: This is his de facto rookie season and he's playing at left tackle for a former frame. Let him go. Absolutely.
Speaker 3: The one thing I even hate about this is because people out there that are draft nuts, and we hear this a lot on the draft show of you should never spend first round picks on offensive linemen. But it was three undrafted free agents, a sixth round pick, and a seventh round pick starting up front for your offensive line in this game, and they did their job. But I think that that's a lot of credit to Clayton Adams, There's a lot of credit to Connor Riley. It's a lot of credit to the guys up front that put it all together, because when they pieced it all together, it made a complete difference. And you could well Dak was still comfortable in the pocket running this offense all the way through this even without his starting four of five offensive linemen. That's an incredible stat and I think no matter if they're playing a high school team or college team or a pro team like the New York Jets, I don't care. That is a huge win because you got it done without those guys in the.
Speaker 5: Foll Tommy Arrish wrote a great article about this and about deck support of the offensive line, the backup offensive line, and in his press conference he was talking about how if there's anybody that believes in guys that people think shouldn't be starting, it's me. That's not the exact quote, but please check out that article. His confidence level in the offensive line was at its highest end. I mean for good reason, because those guys played lights out there.
Speaker 6: It was so funny because when we were doing our training camp shows, Yeah, he was telling people, you know, we were talking about what's the biggest high you know, biggest additions to the team this year, And like I kept going back to my conversations on air and all air, the offensive line, the investment into the coaches, investments to the coaches, investment to the coaches, and they're like, you sound crazy. Everybody wants to hear the players. This is why, this is why when you are able to go and take the arguably the best offensive line coach in the NFL and bring him on your staff.
Speaker 1: You took him, you took.
Speaker 6: Him from Arizona, and then you went and you took arguably the best offensive line coach in college and you brought him on your staff. You have two masterminds at that position group working on where you have invested the most resources over the last few years. And now you're seeing the productivity not only from your starters, but now you're understanding the importance of positional coaching. It is the most undervalued aspect of this NFL game.
Speaker 1: Position coaches. We have been on this show.
Speaker 6: It was just talking cowboys, right, we talk about that's the show' that's the show'run we talk about position, the importance of position coaches. So much talked. We've given a lot of credit to Linda Wells. We talked about al Haras last year. We've talked about a lot of these positional coaches and the impact that they have.
Speaker 1: You are seeing it.
Speaker 6: You do not, and I repeat, you do not get to your second and third people on the depth chart at the offensive line and maintain your productivity.
Speaker 1: It does not happen in this league.
Speaker 6: You might get away with it at maybe one spot on your offensive line because you can kind of help and favor and shift and change your scheme four out of your five and you're still putting up numbers and people are having career days.
Speaker 1: It doesn't happen.
Speaker 6: So I want people to understand and please give hand claps to Shoddy and give hand claps to this offensive line mastermind that has taken place between those two coaches that are responsible for that unit that goes out regardless of the personnel, it doesn't happen. And you have to pay respect to Shoddy for identifying where the resources needed to be placed.
Speaker 1: It wasn't the popular thing.
Speaker 6: It wasn't flashy, It wasn't we're going to trading and grabbing some more off No, these are our guys. We're gonna grab war more offensive linemen this year, right in the draft, and we're gonna coach the heck out of these guys. And you have two guys doing it. Well, we need a collection, please, yeah.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 3: When we come back, I want to focus on the defensive side of the ball because there were a couple of things that went well.
Speaker 1: You talked about Breeze Hall that did not go as well.
Speaker 3: There are things that they're going to have to clean up going into this next week against Rico.
Speaker 1: Daudo, who had a really big game and he put it some said talking, he was talking.
Speaker 3: But is this defense fixed? That's my question going into the next segment.
Speaker 1: Huh, there we go. That's why when we come back with more on talking Cowboys.
Speaker 8: Every day begins with a promise, a promise to work hard and to build the future. That's why we're here providing the tools, expertise and John Deere equipment you have relied on for gnoations to help you get the job done right.
Speaker 1: We're with you.
Speaker 8: That's our promise to you because no matter of the project or the challenge you're facing.
Speaker 1: Where with you? Where are you not it?
Speaker 3: If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle Coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag, box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some black rifle coffee today.
Speaker 4: How's it going? You see that Cowboys game?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 4: I watched. I've been seeing some good thanks totally. They have some talent. You have some cream talent, and they got some fight hoping. This is the year me too. Oh, I'm Cody. By the way, I'm Travis. Nice to meet you, Travis. Oh, Cowboys go.
Speaker 7: Cowboys make a new friend based solely on their shirt choice.
Speaker 4: What would you like the power to do?
Speaker 7: Bank of America, the official bank of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Copywright, twenty twenty five. Bank of America Corporation.
Speaker 7: I'm home, Hey, mom, Before you ask, I've done my homework and the dishwashers unloading.
Speaker 1: Nice?
Speaker 9: Hey can you?
Speaker 4: Hey? Hon? Yes, I've got the finale ready to play.
Speaker 1: Here's your wine? Wow? Isn't it nice?
Speaker 5: Not having to ask?
Speaker 1: We think so.
Speaker 10: That's why if there's a network interruption at and T will proactively credit you for a full day of service guarantee credit for fiber downtime lasting twenty minutes or more, or for wireless downtime lasting sixty minutes and more. Caused by a single incident, pack ten more Towers. Strictions and exclusions apply att dot com slash guarantee for details.
Speaker 1: To Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Back here on Talking Cowboys presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, the official coffee of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This segment is brought to.
Speaker 3: You by Invisi Line, the official smile of the Dallas Cowboys. So glad you're with us, Patrick Nocy Walker, Josh Rodriguez, Isaiah stand back, and Kyle Yeoman's Patrick, You've got.
Speaker 7: You gotta comment of the day here real quick. This is from Hoodie the Basement Boys. Hoodie asks, he puts this to the chat. How is five how or five hundred plus watching? But only twenty two likes? Like the damn video? These men deserve it l FG.
Speaker 1: He ain't wrong, he lin he the smash the like. But I told you so means engagement?
Speaker 5: That might be the title. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I told you so, We told you.
Speaker 6: Can you please explain to our you like that man, our friend fams. Can you help them understand the importance of engagement.
Speaker 5: Engagement is huge for us, man. It lets us do what we want to do and add more things to the show, buy more equipment for us. I mean, just it's great for us. Please like and subscribe.
Speaker 7: Smash that smash, smash smash, Ralph.
Speaker 1: Dude, Beamer's got like a new sounder back there and having when you when you.
Speaker 6: When you haven't on this show, when you have engagement, Beamer has more toys in the back, just saying.
Speaker 3: Yea, do it for be do it for Beam.
Speaker 1: All right, let's talk about the defensive side of the ball. Let's do it, because that's what I'm watching this morning.
Speaker 3: I know you were, and you were talking about a certain safety that hasn't played super well throughout the season, but did play his butt off yesterday, Tommy Yarrish bringing us Sarus.
Speaker 1: Tom We're just talking about a Gator that had a great week.
Speaker 5: Who's your smelly sticker?
Speaker 1: Just real quick?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Now you get to give a smelly sticker anybody that's not from the University of Georgia.
Speaker 1: Just despite Patrick.
Speaker 7: James is going to get one good weekend for the Gators, right, all th gaters right right for that one you could.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna say anything because he brought the brand new offensive lineman.
Speaker 1: There's always next year. You can always had Cowboys.
Speaker 7: The Cowboys had four brand new offensive lineman and they won m v P at quarterback.
Speaker 1: Also, you're saying your quarterback is shots fired.
Speaker 5: At your own TV.
Speaker 1: We had to get some development somewe wrong.
Speaker 7: That arch something wrong. That arch is McDowell's, not McDonald's.
Speaker 6: It's the k they got.
Speaker 11: But thank you dot Com saving the day, thom Tommy RS bringing us our smelly sticker helmet brother.
Speaker 1: This guy stick Yeah, the sounder is working. Yes, that is a fire. He did try and say the four out of five offensive line and.
Speaker 3: That's not not in this show. Tried not gonna work. Sorry, Tommy, Sorry about your longhorns.
Speaker 1: Not really that Sorry. I'm not just left to be Yeah, all right, it's all right.
Speaker 5: My team hasn't won anything in many years.
Speaker 3: We got to talk about the Art Intitute Art Institute of Dallas. All right, big Cowboys give up a couple of eight touchdowns two touchdowns in the final half of the fourth quarter. Seven to fifty six left in the fourth quarter. That is when really the points started to happen for the Jets. But they held the Jets up until that point to just six points. However, Breese Hall fourteen carries one hundred and thirteen yards eight point one yards per carry. He was running the football effectively, but justin fields was not effective. His passer rating and his overall stat line is not going to look poor. I mean, he was thirty two or forty six passing two eighty three and two touchdowns.
Speaker 1: But he didn't have any rhythm.
Speaker 5: Did he forget that he could run really fast?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Probably he just forgot. Every time he sees the Star, he's just like, wait to say.
Speaker 3: I was okay, it happened last year in Pittsburgh too, exactly same thing.
Speaker 5: What are you doing, dude?
Speaker 6: Run the ball?
Speaker 1: I mean I'm not even fine with it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm fine with it, thank you, appreciate you. But that whole dual threat thing we were all concerned about all at all didn't show it one bit. Granted that's the Cowboys being able to put him on notice and be able to contain him quite a bit.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: I'm like, what somebody got in his head? He think?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Like on his own side. Yes, yeah, that's unfortunate for.
Speaker 5: Him, unfortunate for him and beneficial for us, Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: I hate that for him, love it for him.
Speaker 3: But where did you see the biggest improvement from week four to week five?
Speaker 1: I'll start with you, John.
Speaker 5: Third down efficiency like it, the Jets offense was only seven of sixteen forty four percent, which by our metrics is pretty darn good for this defense.
Speaker 1: I'm down for that degree turn.
Speaker 5: I was actually okay with that. And then another improvement over last week was snaps for James Houston. Granted he had the same amount of snaps as last week, but you saw the snaps being sort of divvied equally more so this Jadavin Clowney had thirty one snaps up from twenty three last week. Again, James Houston thirty six, Sam Williams forty four, Donovan Azaraku fifty two, and Dante Feller thirty four. To me, that's a pretty darn good split for what you're asking for from this defensive rotation. Yeah, and again James Houston is he's great. Yeah, maybe keep him out there more.
Speaker 7: Speaking to that point, biggest improvement pass rush for me, I think the pass rush and I don't I think, I know the pass rush helped contribute to the third down efficiency of the Cowboys defense and being able to get off of the field more often.
Speaker 1: Than not. But James Houston, You're a dog, a weapon, arguably absolute dog.
Speaker 7: Needs to be starting. It's We've been saying it. We've been pounding the table about it. Isaiah's been standing on the table about it. And I'm right there with him. We all been right there with him. We need to see more James Houston. His efficiency as far as when he's in the game, his production versus his availability.
Speaker 1: It's off the freaking charge.
Speaker 7: And then you started to see contributions from other guys. Dante follow We talked about it, Sam Williams once he got that that Tyler had a good game.
Speaker 1: He did.
Speaker 7: When Sam Williams got that apparently obligatory penalty out of the way, it seems like he got to get one. He got that out of the way, he got it out of the way. He started playing some some big boy ball back there, right. So the pass rush for me is the biggest takeaway. They found it, and they just absolutely harassed Justin wo Justin Feelds the whole game. He was nervous. He did look like he was playing nervous. They did a much better job of rushing lane discipline, keeping him contained. They didn't let him break out a lot of times to the outside. Now that's the good. The bad is that the run defense, which has been stout this season, had a bad day at.
Speaker 1: The office yesterday. Yeah, the most part Breist Hall.
Speaker 7: When you look at those numbers eight point one, those are true numbers. Those numbers weren't just being stacked up in garbage time like he had the jets and positions several times to find pay dirt. So shouts out to guys like Marrius lea foule. You know that red zone, the drive where they got into the red zone and bris Hall he tears off another chunk and right behind him comes maryus lea foul, heat seeking missile.
Speaker 1: Gimme, what'd you call it? Was that the Hawaiian punch? Oh? That was on my highlight reel last night. Hawaiian punch. You've got the juice. Now, Marist bring the juice. He did bring you got that. Lots of that.
Speaker 7: Lots shouts out to one year Thomas. We talked about how well he played in coverage and his you know, great eye, disciplined yesterday, not cheating too far in one direction or the other, just played it true, keeping everything, keeping everything in front of him, to at least two, possibly three different occasions where Brice Hall broke out and it was one year that stopped him from cribbing that ball. So when you talk about one yea, some of these younger guys, these young guys, you know, Houston Marist one yea and then you flip to the offensive side of the ball. These young guys had a day yesterday. But again, run defense, because they've played well through the first four games. I'm just gonna treat it as a bad day at the office. So going forward, if you can get this pass rush that we saw against the Jets in addition to the weeks one through four run defense, that's going to set safety, safety play, coming back play up for success. And now now Eberflus' scheme can take hold.
Speaker 5: I would argue that Solomon Thomas had a really good game aside from the rush defense, Like you're talking about the rust. The wrong game was pretty bad in terms of our defense. But what Solomon Thomas was able to do with OSA was able to do in keeping justin fields contained and limiting you know, the rushing quarterback, the dual threat that we're talking about, and then also just limiting like the pocket just like that's where you're just gonna throw from all day, and he wasn't doing very good at great.
Speaker 1: That's what you need, a pocket passer.
Speaker 6: So the thing that helped, sorry Summer tanlessly continued to watch film, the thing that helped the pass rush hurt the rush defense with eber Flus. Eberflus does not like to blitz. He doesn't like to bring additional players.
Speaker 1: To his company. Get home, you're going to try to get home with with four guys up front.
Speaker 6: And the way in which he was able to do that effectively yesterday was by doing a lot of defensive line movement.
Speaker 1: Right, a lot of guys were running.
Speaker 6: TT stunts, which means that the two interior defensive linemen were crossing. You're running stunts across where three three defensive alignment across the face of the offensive line. You bring James Houston around right so that the tackles are consumed by the crossing defensive tackles across their face and James Houston is able to sneak by. So they were doing a lot of movement up front. Now that helps in terms of your pass rush, but when you were doing that on say majority of your plays, now when they decide to run, they're using your momentum against you. Right, So if you're crossing my face and we're running the ball, I'm taking you in the direction that you're going, which means I'm washing you out of the play, which creates big run lanes. That is something that they're going to have to fix. It was good that they fixed the pass rush with that, but it exposed them in the running game. So now Eberflus has the film to say, Okay, this was effective, we can do this with pass, but how do we now still protect ourselves in the running game while still running this type of scheme. So what you said so really really good in terms of the passing, but to your point, your moves. So, yeah, some guys got rushed. I mean some guys got washed out. And so that's why there was such big splash plays in the running game because they're stunning guys across the face and they're scraping linebackers to go ahead and feel the outside. So they're taking away the outside run. But the middle of the field there's nobody there. But overall the two interior guys, OSA had a good game. Osa was able to get a lot of penetration of the season. Yep, Solomon Thomas had had a lot of really good, high effort plays that created some havoc. Mazi was, actually, he's like a spark plug right now. That's kind of like sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. So you see you see like okay for a second and then the next thing's like, ah, like it's I have to hit the gas right exactly.
Speaker 1: It's like the long lighter. It's like the long lighter. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: When it works, it works, and then other times you're like, come on, man, what is going on?
Speaker 1: So that's where Mozzi's at right now. But it's good.
Speaker 6: It's encouraging to see when he's on, he's freaking powerful and it's it's it's it's very surprising because it doesn't look powerful. But then you look at the office lineman going backwards and you're like, dang, he's moving these guys. He's putting them on sleds. I like to see that. I just want to see it more frequently.
Speaker 1: They did pair Mozzi Smith with Kenny Clark times.
Speaker 3: I liked that because one Mazzie Smith, when he was brought in here was hopeful to be a nose tech and then.
Speaker 1: He loses all those two It just didn't work out.
Speaker 3: I think Mozzie can be a serviceable three tech, yes, I really do. In this league somewhat to get quicker, and it felt like there was just a there was a pigeonholed role for him to try and fill the nose tackle.
Speaker 1: That's what we brought you in here to do. That's what you got to do, and we need one right now. Now you don't need one.
Speaker 3: You have Kenny Clark as your nose tackle as you're super strong, muddy up the middle defensive nose tackle.
Speaker 1: Now Mazzi Smith can kind of play free a little bit.
Speaker 3: And he's not said to Yizu, he's not your best, he's not twitch your roster, but he's better as a three tech than he is as a one tech.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 3: And I think now that you've got those two guys to pair together, it makes it Osa Solomon and then not a massive drop off to Mazzie Smith and what he can do there too. I think that rotation bodes better for him, and you saw it on the film yesterday.
Speaker 6: One thing that I like to point to that is important the motions from the defense, the defenders were playing with heightened emotions. They were excited. They were for the first time ever, I saw Mazzi exciting.
Speaker 1: I saw that right.
Speaker 6: Mazzi didn't make the play, but what Mazzi did on particular plays allow for his teammates to make the play, and he's celebrated as if he made the play. That's understanding. You could tell that's registering with him. I did my job, and because I did my job, the guy that I was trying to free up made the play. I'm hype like. That was so encouraging to see. And the stuff that you don't see on the film unless you go back and really watch it, that was encouraging to see. It was encouraging to see Trayvon Diggs celebrating from the cornerback role while his teammates were getting sacks because he understood that this were what I did on the outside took away where Justin Fields wanted to go with the ball. And because I did my job, my guys went out there and made to play. And you saw him celebrating the sack. It wasn't okay, we're walking off, Okay, good job. It was yeah, let's go baby like, because I took this away. We got the sacks. So you're seeing this camaraderie really start to come to fruition. And then you guys were talking about the defense all in its totality so much faster at the second level, it's way faster. Shamar James is so decisive. Is he making all the right decisions? Know he's young, but he's decisive man, and he's going. He's flying around, he's hitting, he's flying.
Speaker 1: He loves to hit.
Speaker 6: His energy's crazy. Kenneth Murray is still a tackling machine. Okay, so you got Kenneth Murray. I got from Kennedy.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, he gets lost in the sauce off a linebacker play and bro poor Ed Rusher set in the at times.
Speaker 1: I like what we've seen the most part.
Speaker 7: He had a good game yesterday, but he did have a couple of misses like one of Hall's.
Speaker 5: When he has guys, like when you have guys like Shamar James and Merrisley that are clean up those things putting, you gotta love it is probably back there beginning to believe.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean, like.
Speaker 6: What you have on that James, So you're right, talk about the second level. You have Kenneth Murray, who's a tackling machine in the middle. You booking him with Marius Leafu, who's a freaking flying Hawaiian. Hey, hey, Hawaiian Shamar James, who just wants to run through somebody's face, right, He's just a high effort guy. And then when you walk somebody down in the box, it's either jan Ye Thomas or is Donovan Wilson.
Speaker 1: Both of those guys fly around in hits.
Speaker 6: So that second level, the reason why you're seeing the speed of the defense, the reason why you're seeing guys fly around and be a dog on moth to a flame right now, is because you have those four potentially five guys in that rotation at your second level. So you have your guys up front that are trying to get after the quarterback your second level as fast as all get out. They did a much better job of getting depth right, not allowing passes behind them, and then playing downhill. That's why this defense feels different right now. And you you replace a couple of pieces right Unfortunately that go out with injury, but opportunities present themselves in this league based on injuries. Million Hooker goes out, Jack Samborn goes out, jan Ye comes in, Lea Falc James and Jamar James come in and looks better.
Speaker 1: Acubly, there may be one more guy that they're missing.
Speaker 3: Remember at the end of that game, Donovan Wilson had to leave because of injury right at the end of the final defensive drive. But you got Marquis bald that I could replace. You feel comfortable there. But Donovan Wilson, that was probably his best game.
Speaker 1: Because he's doing what they what he does. He's sass, he plays down, not playing coverage. He's a box Saan saying this since twenty nine. Yeah, and if.
Speaker 6: Unfortunately, if Donald's out, you have another box safety that can come in and replace. So I'm gonna say, like, guys are It's like ibra Flus is figuring out.
Speaker 1: I can't just plug guys into my system. Right.
Speaker 6: I'm learning what these guys do best and I'm putting them in a position to be successful. And then the second half of the.
Speaker 1: Year, don't you get another guy back.
Speaker 3: We'll talk about Agent zero when he comes back in like a month, we'll see. But when we come back, we've got to do some smelly stickers. We got to get credit to those ye hed a huge impact in the thirty seven twenty two win over the New York Jets.
Speaker 1: More to come with talking cowboys after this. Oh yeah, I'm home.
Speaker 8: Hey mom, before you ask, I've done my homework and the dishwashers unloading.
Speaker 1: Nice?
Speaker 4: Hey, can you ahn? Yes, I've got the finale ready to play.
Speaker 1: Here's your wine?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 1: Isn't it nice not having to ask? We think so.
Speaker 10: That's if there's a network interruption at and T will proactively credit you for a full day of service guarantee credit for fib or downtime lasting twenty minutes or more, or for wireless downtime lasting sixty minutes and more caused by a single incident impact in ten more towers. The strictions exclusions apply at dot com slash Guarantee for details.
Speaker 3: If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle Coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some black rifle coffee.
Speaker 1: Today.
Speaker 9: Welcome back into Dear Doctor, the show where I answer life's questions with an ice cold can of Doctor Pepper. Sheila, let's hear from my next caller, would you.
Speaker 3: Dear Doctor?
Speaker 11: My friend supported me during a tough time.
Speaker 3: But what's the right gift that says thanks for being a soldier?
Speaker 2: To cry out?
Speaker 9: Okay, this one's e I say, give her a delicious Doctor Pepper. Nothing says thanks good better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any Doctor Pepper flavor will do. Now, just a reminder that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that Doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 3: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy wfball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP to Talking Cowboys. Back here on Talking Cowboys as the Cowboys take down the New York Chats thirty seven twenty two Back with Patrick Nocy, Walker, Josh Roderiguez, Isaiah stand back, Chris Beam.
Speaker 1: In the back. I'm Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 3: I've got this smelly sticker helmet for those that may be new to Talking Cowboys this year, this only second time we've gotten the chance to do this. After eight Cowboys win, we give our players of the game, and we do so by illustrating it on this Cowboys helmet with some smelly stickers scratching sniff. That's because it's a little extra special whenever you get a Cowboys win, and we want to give credit where credit is due to those who earn it. On Sundays and or whatever week of the or day of the week, the Cowboys win a game. Patrick, you were on the flight, you were at MetLife Stadium. We're gonna let you go first, my friend.
Speaker 1: You know what, I'm just gonna go ahead and put it on them out there. I've chosen a mango. Okay, chosen a mango. Would you like to know why? Why is that? Sir? This meant mang? Oh mango, mango.
Speaker 7: This mango is for Ryan Flinoyuse maine, go off o.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Ryan Flinoy went off career day one hundred and fourteen yards in the air. Also added another ten yards on the ground because why not on two attempts average five per carry. Ryan Flanoyd has been waiting for this day. And in addition to what I loved that he did on the field, I loved the conversation and the Q and A we had with him after the game, and we asked about the patience and the mentality of it, and he was just like, he plays for the Lord. And he said that when he's playing out there, the way he stays level is it's always a one man show. There's only one fan that he's trying to impress us. So that young man deserves it on all levels.
Speaker 1: Very nicely, downe Ryan Floyd.
Speaker 5: One thousand percent, guys, And our first of two trips to New York this year. The guy went off in the Big Apple. Hey, hey, all right, and he had a career day. A guy that we talked about last week. We're buying tickets for a movie. Which movie you gonna so we see and one of them was the smashing machine being Javonte Williams ay and having a career day, his first ever one hundred yard Brown game. Amazing for Javonte Williams, the juggernaut. I love it, and two tuddies to go along with it. Yes, sir, let's go baby, Javonte Williams. Congratulations to you. We've supported you from the get go. Kyle, never had a doubt about Javonte Williams. You heard it here. First Big Apple goes to Jante Williams.
Speaker 3: Vonte Williams. I never had a problem with. It was a run game as a whole question about just to be very any more questions, Kyle, H No, But I do have a stat It was the first time since nineteen seventy eight that the Cowboys have had a one hundred yard rusher and a one hundred yard receiver in the first half of a game, in a single half of a big and it was Ryan Flanoy. Your smelly sticker, and it was Javonte Williams. Your smelly sticker, fusion booms.
Speaker 1: Got it done? How about it? On the nose? Hi there, Isaiah? Hello, Kyle, I have a smelly sticker. What's on your nose? I smell it. You know what I smell.
Speaker 6: I smell two mangoes hanging out, crossing the legs, just chilling. Two fellas just hanging out. You know, because they took care of business. You know who those two fellows are exactly, Clayton Adams and Connor Riley. They are those two guys just hanging out. You know why because they never doubted it, y'all just finding out. Boom there it is right there in the front.
Speaker 1: Oh, I love it.
Speaker 5: Clayton Adams strong head coaching candidate.
Speaker 1: Prove don't do that, don't.
Speaker 5: I'm just saying. I'm just saying, at the totality of this year, you might shut down.
Speaker 1: Just hey, silence. First year head coaches in New York are like oh and five. He doesn't want to go there anyway.
Speaker 6: He doesn't marry that deep down inside and never bring it up.
Speaker 7: I don't want to lose them either. I like to plug it up. Dropping in the ship along with my mother. No, you got to know the quote. You know the rest of the quote.
Speaker 1: Okay, you just don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know after the show, Okay, I.
Speaker 1: Don't know what's going on.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, Okay, it's confused, all right. I'm a little I'm a little thrown off here because I wanted to go with an offensive player, but all three of you guys did an offensive player. I think there needs to be a little bit of love for the defense, absolutely, Kyle. I think there needs to be my my original smelly sticker. And the reason I grabbed the macaroon. I was gonna give it to Dak Prescott's French French macaroon.
Speaker 1: Is that how you's saying, Macon.
Speaker 3: So one of the things about a macaroon is you have the icing and it's kind of smashed in the middle, you know. And so that was Dak Prescott, he was putting it all together on the offensive side.
Speaker 1: That was gonna be my original smelly sticker.
Speaker 3: But now I'm going to give it to coach Eberflus, Okay, because I think the defense as a figur it out put it all together, and they pieced it together going into this matchup, Dak, you're an MVP caliber player. I still I would give you a smelly sticker every week so far, a few more, you'll get a couple throughout the year.
Speaker 1: But I'm gonna I'm gonna switch it up a little bit here. I'm gonna give it to coach.
Speaker 3: E Reflus because he is he's starting to put it all together and he's beginning to be pretty sweet.
Speaker 6: Like a Mawks and he's only going to get stronger because guys are coming back.
Speaker 1: Yes, Agent, you still have multiple corners that are out. Yeah, and you might be missing another safety this week, Marquise, Yeah, I'm in. We'll see. We'll see. You're leading backler from two years ago.
Speaker 3: I think for as much as that defense has not played well, I think there needs to be credit where credit is.
Speaker 1: The Absolutely they shut down a.
Speaker 3: Mobile quarterback in justin fields, whether it was his choice or not. He did not run the football, his mobile button didn't work. The only thing that was really tough was the running game. And Briest Hall's an elite running back.
Speaker 1: He's a dude.
Speaker 3: One more thing before we get out of here, Patrick, can you hold up your sign real quick.
Speaker 1: Let's just mash your table. Let's just make sure that you guys understand.
Speaker 3: I just I want to say this. It does not mean the Cowboys are gonna win the Super Bowl. But don't come at me with this zero to.
Speaker 1: Five talk with New York chet. That's why we hit it in the beginning. We totally They're going to.
Speaker 5: Say Pittsburgh team theory and now let's not move any goalposts here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's not move it.
Speaker 5: Wanted to win that game.
Speaker 3: Pittsburgh Steelers beat them in Week one by two points. Whatever, the Pittsburgh Steelers, they're a one loss team right now. The Buffalo Bills beat them, not as bad as the Cowboys did.
Speaker 1: It was thirty to.
Speaker 3: Ten the final score, but it was a much closer game in that football game than this one was when it was thirty to three. Cowboys Buffalo one lost football team. Tampa Bay beat the Jets by two points. Two points, and it took a last minute drive to go down and beat the New York Jets while the Buccaneers were at home in that football game. So with all of this being said, don't move the goalposts, don't move it. Cowboys beat the Jets down on the Sunday afternoon in Week five, they get to win thirty seven twenty two.
Speaker 7: I guess thought it needed and that take does not imply the Cowboys always going to win the Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: Smiley, not the case.
Speaker 3: Cowboys two and one, back to five hundred and they take on the Carolina Panthers this week. We're gonna have a Talking Tuesday tomorrow. Be sure to give us a call eight eight eight a FI five two two ninety seven. We're gonna hear from you, guys. We want to hear about your thoughts on this game. In the game coming up this week for Patrick no C Walker, Josh Rodriguez, Isaiah Standback, Chris Beam in the back.
Speaker 1: I'm Kyle Yomen saying so long from Talking Cowboys. Thanks for joining us on a victory Monday. Let's see you tomorrow.
Speaker 2: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.