Speaker 1: NFL Power Rankings is a production of the NFL in partnership with iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Nothing better than starting the show with a little bit of news. Welcome to NFL Power Rankings. I'm Mike Iamm joined by Eric at home. And the news that I'm referring to Eric Robert Slind no longer the head coach of the Jets. We'll do a deep dive on Gangreen coming up in just a few minutes here. But I got to imagine when there's a change like this, this affects how you view a team for your rankings.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 4: I mean I moved him down five spots this week, so obviously the hit in London that they took had an effect.
Speaker 3: But we may have to see how this works out.
Speaker 4: They're heading into this massive game against the Bills on Monday night that takes on an even bigger meeting. Now Jeff Oldbrook taking over, can he fix this issue inside? Really the problems are on offense, so we'll have to see we've got this. We've got some quarterback situations that are worth monitoring around the league, so little seismic activity could have all these rankings influx pretty quickly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and once again we'll talk more about the Jets coming up a little bit later here. On power rankings, you mentioned the international game against the Vikings. No change at the top of the number one spot. As we get you teams one through eight, Yes, the Vikings sitting in that top spot. No change there. The Kansas City Chiefs victorious five and zero on the season, got it done against the Saints on Monday Night football. The Lions idle. So those are your top three teams. We saw the Texans with the dramatic win over the Bills overcame two CJ. Stroud turnovers. Therefore, the Ravens, what a big time game against Cincinnati at five, the Commanders five weeks down, they're four and one, exactly how we all thought it was going to play out. And at seven it's the Bills with Josh Allen nine of thirty pass attempts completed, which is just an odd number. In the Packers, they're sitting at number eight after dealing with the Rams, who are in a free fall right now. But let's start with the number one team here. Look, I think what we're seeing defensively, I know all the talk is going to be about Sam Darnold and rightfully so. But Eric, this team's defense is real.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, and I think that obviously staked in the lead with the Van Ginkel pick six, were so not used to seeing Aaron Rodgers make plays like that.
Speaker 3: But credit the Brian Flores.
Speaker 4: And that Vikings defense and Stefan Gilmour shut the door late. You know, they had a few shaky moments in there, but they held on and it was really a three phase victory.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: The offense contributed a little, not as much from Sam Donolds we've seen recently, but Will Riiker three field goals, good special teams play overall, and the big plays on defense really put them apart. You know, I can see this debate with the Chiefs the Vikings, the two undefeated teams.
Speaker 3: They're both at buy. It's not going to change this week.
Speaker 4: But you know a lot of people out there wondering who is the best team in this league, and it's tough. You can see elements of each that make them appealing and also the few weaknesses here and there.
Speaker 2: Well, you know a week ago when you had the Vikings sitting at number one and you dropped the Chiefs to two, there was concerns about Rashid Rice and yeah, you still have them as the number two team. I actually thought, coming off of the Monday night postgame show on NFL Network, I'd walk into the studio with you today and thought there might be a flip flop because there was a balance attack and that defense balled out and once again another win as they stay perfect on the season, and.
Speaker 4: Another team with a great defense. I think that's going to be the formula for both these teams. Yes, the quarterback Patrick Mahomes can get it done. Yes, Travis Kelsey turned back the clock, and you know had that pitch play in nine catches. A good block or two as well, But you look at this Brian Cook interception really kind of set the tone.
Speaker 3: Supposed to be a throwaway, but.
Speaker 4: A nice play nonetheless, And you know took Chris o' lobby out of the game, took Alvin Kamara out of the game, knocked Derek Carr out of the game late with an oblique injury. So you know that Chiefs defense when the offense isn't perfect. Yes, they rang up a lot of yards, but two for seven in the red zone isn't really getting it done, at least not to the chief standard.
Speaker 3: Then the defense is going to take care of business.
Speaker 4: So again another three phase operation here in Kansas City. And that's a big reason why both of these teams, the Vikings and the Chiefs are unbeaten head into their by.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Kareem Hunt goes over one hundred yards didju Smith Schuster balls out in a game where he's got I think one hundred and thirty yards receiving. So once again Kansas City, we could talk about injuries, the defense balls out and it just feels like Andy Reid will figure it out on the offensive side. Well, let's take a look at future champions as we get the odds to win the AFC South and the Houston Texans, like they've been rolling, they are still the favorite. The Colts trying to figure out things offensively, the Jacks finally got a win, and then it's the Tennessee Titans. That's the order according to FanDuel to win the AFC South. Meanwhile, Eric, to me, I think this is a win when Houston not only scores a victory, but they do it when they don't play their best brand of football.
Speaker 4: Yeah, obviously it came to anyone to watch the end of that game, saw how it came down to that final possession for the Bills and what they decided to do with the ball and not do with the ball, which is maybe force some timeouts, run the football, et cetera. So obviously it sort of became a toss up game. The Texans looked like the better club early.
Speaker 2: C J.
Speaker 4: Stroud did have some mistakes laid the defense obviously, let Josh Allen and that offense move it a little bit after, you know, kind of stopping him most of the game. But and I would like to see the Texans team play better in second half. So being outscored right now sixty seven to forty, you know, it's enough of a number at this point in the season where you say, hey, even if they start strong, I'd like to see four quarters from them. They couldn't put a few other teams away early in this season.
Speaker 3: So yeah, they're quibbles. They're four and one. Obviously they've beaten some good teams along the way, but.
Speaker 4: This is something that's going to be a little bit more of a test when they face a little stronger competition on the level of what we saw against Buffalo.
Speaker 2: Hey, I don't want to get too deep into the Weeds on Buffalo, who you have as seventh, But you concerned about that squad?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 4: No, I you know, obviously the last two games have kind of undercut what we saw from about the second quarter on and week one up to that point.
Speaker 3: So yeah, we're constantly.
Speaker 4: Re evaluating here at the Power Rankings Laboratory, doing.
Speaker 3: What we can to balance the good, the bad, the otherwise.
Speaker 4: And so look, last season we saw Josh Allen on this offense go through some slumps.
Speaker 3: This one may not be as prolonged. We'll see, but yeah.
Speaker 4: Anytime they go through one of these streaks, so they make it a lot harder on themselves.
Speaker 3: You have your worries.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, Eric, I do game day review on Sunday mornings. I sit with Steve Witch and Cynthia Freelan, and we all picked the Ravens, who you have number five as a winner against Cincinnati. It played out that way, but I'd be lying up. I said, I wasn't hedge in just a little bit because of the desperate situation that the Bengals are in. I think the way the Ravens won this game is a huge positive side. We were questioning them, you know, kind of putting the hammer down. They had to come back and win this game. They had overcome you know, one of those moments that Lamar Jackson I'm sure was cringing about and still probably thinking about this is a good win for him.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, you faced three different ten point deficits in the second half of a game on the road, and look, you can look at the Bengals record and write them off if you want to, but clearly they are scoring at a pretty high pace and throwing the football very well. Did a lot for Sunday as well, and you know, the Ravens found a way. It was great to see Justin Tucker back in the long range kicking department, you know, obviously a stalwart for many years, but had almost become a liability beyond fifty yards going back to last season. Big fifty six yard or to tie it the game winner and overtime classic Ravens win too. You can't shut Derek Henry down the whole game. He finally got one there at the end. So impressive on a lot of fronts, even with some hiccups along the way.
Speaker 2: And by the way, I think you have the toughest job in the building ranking some of these teams. I will push back a little bit later on the show and which you have Cincinnati because the angles to me, I get why you dropped them where you did, but I think they're better than a few of the teams that you have in front of them. So we'll have that conversation coming up in just a bit. The commander's at six. Be honest with me, when you're assessing the teams before the season, no way in hell you thought they'd be anywhere close to the sixth overall ranking at any point during the season, right.
Speaker 3: I tried to.
Speaker 4: Talk myself into them almost cracking the top twenty. I had them around twenty two to twenty three, and I thought, that's that's pushing it a little bit, right, So I backed him off to twenty five or six or whatever it was. And what was funny is that I had Washington media members coming to me and say, hey, this is the most positive review we've seen this whole year. So I may not have been onto it, but I was a little bit onto it.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, no, no, I will take it. You point to Jaden Daniels as obviously the singular reason why they're there. I mean, there's a culture shift right. I mean, dan Quinn is there. Defense has played some pretty good games down the stretch. I know all the attention goes to Jaden, but it feels like more than just him.
Speaker 4: Austin Eckler, Reborn, you know, Brian Robinson's showing some juice.
Speaker 3: You know, the defense has been pretty good lot three of the last four games.
Speaker 4: So Daniels was a little off early, so everybody else kind of held him up, and then he obviously delivered late and ended up with three hundred twenty yards passing and rushing combined.
Speaker 3: So yeah, this is a dan Quinn special.
Speaker 4: Adam Peters, the new GM, the new ownership as well.
Speaker 3: It feels like.
Speaker 4: A new dawn in a new day, and the roster was almost completely overhauled in the offseason.
Speaker 3: You're seeing the results of that.
Speaker 4: I didn't think it would happen this quickly, but it's been very impressive and hard not to tip your hat at the change of direction.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm with you there one hundred percent. By the way they beat the Browns, I'm stomping on the panic button. We'll talk about Cleveland until you win your rank a little bit later. But there's more to come here on Power rank has had some late heroics from Captain Kirk. What did that do to their rankings? For the Falcons and what did the loss leave the Bucks The answers come it up next on NFL Power Rankings. Back here on Power Rankings, as we look at teams nine through sixteen, and once again the full rankings. You can scan the QR code if you're watching or if you're listening on NFL dot com, you can head there. The Tampa Bay Bucks sitting at number nine. A little surprised to see them here. The Steelers, despite a loss at home to Dallas, they are number ten. Eagles sit at eleven. The Falcons, Captain Kirk and company now at twelve. We'll talk more about them in just a moment. At thirteen, it's the Cowboys and yeah, Dak delivered three hundred and fifty two passing yards in a victory. Don't look now. Bo Nicks fired up three straight wins and the Broncos are the fourteenth ranked team. Two consecutive losses now for Seattle, who dropped to fifteen, and the Saints at sixteen. Another loss for them. It's three straight losses after losing in Kansas City on Monday night. All right, the Bucks, Like, I don't think this is easy trying to navigate some of these rankings here. I'd ask you off air if you thought about dropping them that side of the top ten, But I don't know how you could have considering the team sitting right behind them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, look, you could easily put Pittsburgh there, but then you know, are you moving them up right? You know, obviously Atlanta gainst the big win, but I already jumped in pretty significantly too.
Speaker 3: I understand if you're.
Speaker 4: A Falcons fan and mad that the Bucks are ahead of them, but you know, for three and a half quarters, they did outplay Atlanta, and so I.
Speaker 3: Look at Baker Mayfield. Could they have finished better?
Speaker 4: Absolutely, in the first half, things look really good. The injuries have piled up, but they are going to get healthier. I think some of these these injuries injured players will be coming back soon. And thin get this game was played again tomorrow on a neutral field. Tampa is the better team, but you're right, it is so tough from about nine to twenty two. I don't think there's a giant separation mic between these teams.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm with you there. One hundred percent. By the way, the Tampa Bay Bucks already en route to New Orleans for a matchup against the Saints. Keep in mind, and I know we're having this conversation way too many times here in a very short period of time. With the hurricane, yeah, squarely in Tampa Bay's path right now. So thoughts and prayers obviously to everyone in the state of Florida with the hurricane that is fast approaching. And Eric, let's get to power moves. Is the Falcons now move up seven spots to twelve. Kirk Cousins balls out, and I got to tell you, when these games are close, I have a high degree of confidence that Kirk Cousins is going to be able to deliver.
Speaker 3: They do right, you know.
Speaker 4: Obviously the Falcons have had plenty of mistakes along the way this season, including Monday night, they had like six penalties in the plus territory on offense. So you know, even though this guy through for five hundred and nine yards, he was getting a lot of things thrown in his face that kept setting them back plays, call back long downs and distances, and so it was very impressive to see him work the ball around.
Speaker 3: They got it to.
Speaker 4: The tight end, they got it to the receiver, they threw it to the running backs as well. Everyone stepped up when they had to make a play, even if there were some land mines along the way. I mean, look, Atlanta's got to play better defense. I think they know they probably got lucky in this one, but it was a significant move up, mainly because of how they finished and how a lot of the other teams and that part of the last week's power rankings did, which is not as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look at the matra of this team is and I think you hit the nail on the head. Got to play some better defense here. But more specifically, this is an offensive minded team. And as the week's unfold here, and as Kirk is getting more and more reps with some of these guys, this offense looks like it is rolling. Another team that was a dramatic mover in the right direction of four spots, the Dallas Cowboys. I'm almost at the point where I'm rolling to say this, just play all your games on the road here. They just look like a better road team than they are home team.
Speaker 4: That is true so far, right, And yet when they were leading thirteen to ten, I was not sure the Dallas Cowboys are going to win this game. Sure enough, Pittsburgh gets the ball back that go down and score, and I thought, that's that.
Speaker 3: Okay. Give Mike McCarthy credit.
Speaker 4: He takes a lot of guff from a lot of different people, including Cowboys fans.
Speaker 3: His last drive. The play calling there, I thought was spectacular.
Speaker 4: Obviously Brian Schottenhammer a big part of that as well, but kept the Steelers off balance. Second big drive of the fourth quarter.
Speaker 3: They had to have it.
Speaker 4: This played a lipkey right here was absolutely huge for them. Things got a little dicey there at the end. Almost coughed it up on this ball right there with an amazing fumble punch out by Land and Roberts, but Dak falls on it. Fourth down, a little mesh concept. Just throw it open and that is a great play to earn your third victor.
Speaker 3: The season.
Speaker 4: Never easy for the Cowboys, right They certainly have their their way of making the degree of difficulty higher. But they pulled it out and they had to well after midnight. A lot of us were feeling it the next day, but the Cowboys had to feel pretty good.
Speaker 2: Yeah. West Coast best coast when it comes to watching games. When they are. I gotta tell you it wasn't too late. Just one other note here from a Dallas perspective. Two drives in the fourth quarter of at least fifteen plays, So fifteen play drive and a sixteen place.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: That is big boy football from the Dallas Cowboys. It's a reason why they moved up those four spots Broncos. I gotta tell you this is looking better than I thought. I love the exchange that we saw on the sideline. Bodies get a little fired up with a coach. I'll take that after you pick up another victory.
Speaker 4: Felt a little different than the chats between Peyton and Russell Wilson last year.
Speaker 3: Didn't it right? And this is a rookie now.
Speaker 4: He's played a lot of college football two different programs, won a lot of games and all that. But when you step into the NFL in your fifth game, you're not afraid to go toe to toe with Sean Payton, who can be a tough guy to deal with sometimes very demanding.
Speaker 3: Shows me a lot right.
Speaker 4: He didn't have a pristine game Sunday, but I thought he played pretty well. And I suspect Peyton's given a little tough love here and when you have a defense that can do what the Broncos have done. Patzertan had a great game, ran back the interception one hundred yards, kind of got the ball rolling a little after a slow start. This is a good football team too. We talked about teams like the Chiefs and the Vikings at the top.
Speaker 3: Broncos kind of have a similar, similar formula.
Speaker 4: You know, decent offense, very good defense, special teams are pretty solid as well. So there's a formula there that could get them much higher on this list.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You know the Peyton in the press conference was obviously asked about the exchange because you have to ask, and he said that, you know, Boat's got a little first Bueller in him and he's trying to get that out of him. I gotta be honest with you, I think I know what that means. I'm not one hundred percent sure, but the point is when they're on the sideline and Bo's fired up, I do legitimately love it. I don't think there was disrespect that was there. It's like, hey, I'm getting confident here because I don't think Bo does that in Week one or in the preseason. I think he's now starting to feel himself in a very good way. And the Broncos this is paying dividends for them. Still more to come here to Bill on NFL Power Rankings. There's two teams that they got to be hitting the panic button, the Niners and the Bengals. Where did they sit in the rankings? The answer is covered up next back here on NFL Power Rankings presented by Energizer, Team seventeen through twenty four. For Eric at number seventeen, Caleb Williams Arrow pointing up on this bear squad at eighteen, The Niners, Yeah, I'm a little concerned on this squad Sitting at nineteen, it's the Chargers. The Jets are at twenty three. Interceptions for Aaron Rodgers means Robert Salad is no longer the head football coach. We'll talk more about Gangreen in just a moment. The Colts, it is going to be Anthony Richardson when he's healthy enough to play. Not Joe Flacco, but Joe. The offense kind of looks better with him. They fall short against the Jacks at twenty two. The Cardinals second half shutout against the Niners. Hello Arizona. Twenty three, it's the g men, no neighbors, no singletary, no problem. And at twenty four the Bengals. I know it's a loss, but damn Eric got I'm sitting at twenty four. We'll circle up on Cincinnati in just a moment. But the Bears, I got to tell you there was concerns about Kleb Williams. Jadon Daniels is balling out. This dude is playing efficient football at the quarterback spot. They figured it out away. Got to run this football, and right now I think the Bears are starting to become a little bit more of a threat.
Speaker 3: Still got to.
Speaker 4: Work on those opening drives. Those haven't really hummed yet this season. But after a pretty bad opening drive, almost threw a pick six, he really looks settled in. He didn't look panicky or jittered or frustrated what was happening on the field. It was much better body language, if you buy into that stuff, than I think we'd seen before. And much better physical execution here a great throw to a wide open DJ Moore found his receivers, didn't force the ball to I mean, when the shots were there, he took them in much.
Speaker 3: More accurate downfield.
Speaker 4: You add that to that a Bears defense that I think is pretty darn good. Now, look all this happened against Carolina. Their defense isn't so hot right now, but we've seen obviously what this Bears defense can do to make up for when the offense was struggling. Now that Williams has settled in, I like them much better as a team. He's gonna have his bad games too, but hard not to be encouraged by. I would say the last seven quarters, going back to the Rams game, where he's looked a lot more complete of a quarterback and less frantic.
Speaker 2: Well, they get the Jags in London, a Jags team that finally figured out a way to get a win. Nine thirty Eastern Time, exclusively on NFL Network at eighteen. It's the San Francisco forty nine ers. I got to tell you, I can story some of the losses. For me. Sometimes it's just the health of these guys out there. I don't know what the deal is. I'm actually legitimately worried about the Niners.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean there was a little bit of a thing with Jake Moody being hurt in the second half there changed their strategy. They had to go for it on a fourth and twenty three within field goal range. But that was notwithstanding. They have some issues right now. Obviously, ball security is a problem. You saw in this Jordan Mason putting it on the ground. Lake kind of opened the door for the Cardinals to win it. But you know, they weren't able to finish a drive in the second half, and that's a problem. This is a team that's built a score. Brandon Ayuk was having a big game at that point. Rock Purty looked pretty solid in the first half. You're up thirteen at half at home against the team that you'd beaten pretty soundly in that building two years in a row.
Speaker 3: That's got me worried as well.
Speaker 4: And you know, look, I will say they did lose three straight last year, completely undoing what the start of the season had him doing.
Speaker 3: Still ended up in the Super Bowl. I can't quit him completely.
Speaker 4: But I get why your concerns are high right now because they're they're multiple, they're adding up, and this team looks a shell of what it used to look like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they're matching up against a desperate Seattle team in Seattle on a short leak on TNF. So something's got to give here. The Niners once again dropping six spots, dropping five spots, and it meant to coaching change with Robert Salad now being dismissed as the Jets head coach. What's the fix right now? The short term fix for this season as the Jets right now figure out ways new ways to lose football games.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean getting DeVante Adams wouldn't hurt, right. I wonder if those plans are still on the table though, right, I don't know if those are separate. If they were, you know, firing SLA had nothing to do with what trades they might make and all that, but clearly adding another offensive weapon would not be a bad thing. We saw it during parts of this game, second third, even the fourth quarter for stretches. Aaron can move the ball a little bit, but finishing drives another red zone weapon, somebody who can draw attention away from Garrett Williams or you know, Wilson, excuse me. But also getting this run game involved early, I mean you follow into a double digit hole. Braylan Allen and Brece Hall an't going to get as many carries. They both had a tough game Sunday. That's two weeks in a row where all's been a little missing, so that offensive line has not been as good as it was they're early going.
Speaker 3: That's got to be fixed. A lot going on. The defense is okay.
Speaker 4: That really wasn't the issue, which is obviously curious when you fire a defensive minded head coach.
Speaker 3: But things just weren't clicking.
Speaker 2: Not at all. They get the Buffalo Bills, who need a win that game on Monday night, which will be a very intriguing matchup. We'll have the post game in the pregame show on NFL Network for you. Cincinnati at twenty four, I get it. They score thirty eight points, it goes over time, and they figured they actually they shouldn't have lost that football game. Let's just call a spade of spade here. They lost to the Ravens. They lost to the Chiefs. Like I think they're better than this ranking that you gave them.
Speaker 4: Well, I always say, at some point, you are what your record is, and it's hard not to ignore the results, right. I mean, Burrow is on pace right now for a forty five hundred yard, forty touchdown, seven interception season. He's been pretty terrific, at least since Week one anyway, and yet this defense has not been able to stop people.
Speaker 3: Consistently played pretty well.
Speaker 4: On that side of the ball, all things considered in the first half, but second half and overtime weren't able to get those stops. We mentioned how Baltimore came back from three different ten point deficits and then this might have been the play of the year. Look, sometimes you face the Mahomes or Lamar Jackson and they just beat you with a couple extra plays. So the spot on the power rankings reflects their record, and you know, and how they've lost the good teams, like you said, the Commanders as well, but you know, they just can't find a way to close things out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I gotta tell you. And just as an example, the Jets. I think Cincinnati's a better team than Gangreen and two teams I put them ahead of your Jets.
Speaker 4: I thought, are your Giants. I mean, I thought maybe I'd guess some credit for that.
Speaker 2: You know, by the way, my gimn figured out a way to get it done. Oh that opening drive, I'm like, oh my god, this is the season in a microcosm of the season, and it wasn't pretty, but they figured out a way to get it done. Let's get your teams twenty five through thirty two. The Raiders, Minshew gets pulled, we see Ocondle. They sit at twenty five. We know DeVante's going to get treated. At twenty sixth the Rams. How about this squad. Worse start to a season in Sean mcvay's coaching career. The Dolphins are at twenty eight. Found a way to get it done against the Patriots. The Jags, they get a win. They're at twenty nine. At number thirty, this is rough to watch this Brown squad. The Patriots are thirty one. They're also at times a little difficult to watch, especially on the offensive side. And the Carolina Panthers at thirty two. There's some teams here that there's a reason why they're at the bottom. I think maybe the biggest surprise considering what I thought they could be the Cleveland Browns. Explain to me what is going on for this squad.
Speaker 4: It's not fair to put everything onto Sean Watson's head, but obviously he has been a big part of this problem. Considering what they paid two hundred twenty million dollars, considering a full off season of.
Speaker 3: Health and work in the program.
Speaker 4: You know, the fact that he wasn't able to really play as much in the preseason may have some effect, but I just cannot believe that how far he's regressed as a player. He and Stefanski maybe have never been a great stylistic match anyway.
Speaker 3: Football wise, the offensive.
Speaker 4: Line injuries, the running back injuries, and that defense too, Let's call them out. They have not been as dominant as they were a year ago.
Speaker 2: I'm with you. I'm with you in a big way because defensively, there has been struggles for this squad. Hey, before we wrap up here, the Jags, I made reference to it getting a win. They're playing like the home away from home game in London? Is this Are we going to see this again? They're gonna beat the Bears?
Speaker 3: Hey, they could.
Speaker 4: I think they have a little bit of momentum, but got to finish it off better than they did against the Colts.
Speaker 2: Catch the game nine thirty Eastern Time on NFL Network. Raki the best Man will do it again next week.
Speaker 1: NFL Power Rankings is a production of the NFL in partnership with iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts,