Speaker 1: I miss a green, for example, I'm already upset.
Speaker 2: When I find my ball in the bunker, I'm really upset. And when I find my ball in a.
Speaker 1: Brid egg Frida egg, the dreaded Frida egg Frida, egg, Frida egg, Brian egg Frida egg bride egg Lie.
Speaker 2: I'm about ready to run off the golf course. Welcome back to another edition of the Friday Golf Podcast. I am your host, Andy Johnson, and today I am thrilled to be joined by the great him Diaz Uh, one of the great golf writers and sports writers of our time. Always a pleasure to be joined by Hi May to break down a big event like the six US Open at Shinnakok Hills. This will be the fifth time that Shinnakok has hosted the US Open in the modern era, the sixth time overall in recent US Opens since I've been alive, so the last forty years. This is forty years after Ray Floyd in nineteen eighty six to one at one under a sensational tournament, so many people in the mix. Ninety five you saw Corey Pavin win at Shinnikok Hills at even par. Two thousand and four, Ratief Goosen won at four under and kind of a thrilling victory. There, great tournament and then, of course most recently twenty eighteen, Brooks Koepka survived a crazy day, a crazy week, shot one over par. So this has been a test that has been able to stand up to the monern game. I think that's a huge storyline for the week is can I stay up and stand up to the monern game? And what type of setup does the USGA deploy as Shinnecock can get a bit crispy and can be a little bit unpredictable. We have really dove into the golf course on a lot of channels. Check out our website, Thefrida egg dot com. We already have a ton of articles up about Shineakak Hills. Also check out our YouTube page. We have our Allgrasses Local series on the turf operation. We have the architecture of Shinnacock Hills. We were joined by the great Wayne Morrison, a William Flynn historian, as well as Bill Corr and Garrett and I break down the golf course on the golf on the golf course. That's a great video. The architecture of Shinnakok Hills and also we have Ry McElroy talking about Shinnecock Hills and I think what really makes it a tough test for players like of his ilk. So check out our website, check out the YouTube page for a ton of preview content. Before we get to high ideas, let's talk about our partners here. Max Fly has been a leader in golf equipment for over one hundred years. In nineteen eighty six, Max Fly was killing it. That might have been the HT era of Max fly Ball, known for their innovation and excellence. PGA Tour player Ben Griffin and LPGA player Lexi Thompson both joined Team Max Fly in twenty twenty four and currently play the Max Fly Tour X, and twenty twenty five, the team expanded further with the addition of renowned golf instructor Sean Foley. It was announced earlier this year that Ben Griffin and Max Fly extended their partnership through twenty twenty eight. Max That's why these balls are really good balls. I have enjoyed using them. One of the great things about them is the price point you get a tour performance ball. I use the Tour X at the cost of thirty nine ninety nine. It's kind of like the old days. And if you buy two dozen, you get it for seventy dollars. So you can purchase these at Dix or Golf Galaxy in store or online to purchase the Max Fly Tour series. Big thanks to Max Fly. All right, let's get to high ads, all right. I am joined by the great High Mayds, long time writer at SI Golf Channel contributor now writer at large at Golf Digest. I May has seen many of the ratest golf championships. It's always a pleasure to be joined by him. Hi, May What do you think about Shitnacok Kills? Obviously in your illustrious career you've covered it many times. What is your favorite tournament that they've had at Shinnacock.
Speaker 1: Well, it might be a little bit romanticism on my part, but the first one was eighty six, and I've just come off the first matters i'd been to at eighty six, and you know, arguably that was the best Masters and arguably eighty six was the best Open, at least for me, that I've seen for many reasons, and one of them was Shinnecock itself. There was a lot of skepticism going into that tournament about the site. It was really sort of this kind of fever dream by Frank Hannigan, who ran the USGA in the eighties and was a great thinker of the game, did a lot for golf architecture as far as bringing awareness about the great architects. He did the first really long and you know, very very informative and thought provoking feature on an architect. It was on aw tilling Hast, and nobody knew who the tilling Hast was. I shouldn't say nobody, I mean a lot of historians did, but the general public did not even really put architects first when they thought of the golf courses. They just thought of the tournaments that had been held there. But it just opened up the world for people learning about Ross and Mackenzie and everybody else. The Golden Age. Nobody talked about the Golden Age. Suddenly you're talking about, oh, the best golf course in the best land was, And you guys at friday E know it better than anyone. You know, how golf exploded because of you know, the great architects building great golf courses back in the twenties and even before that, of course Shinnecock. So you know what Flynn did in the thirties was, you know something. It turned out to be classic, and I honestly think it's my favorite US Open site. I mean, I won't go on and on, but go ahead, you know, let's talk a little more about Shinnecock.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd love to get some stories from the eighty six. So this is your first US Open you covered.
Speaker 1: Then I covered. Yeah, I'd actually become the sixty six US Open. That was just because I lived in San Francisco, but it was the first one I covered. I went to eighty five at Oakland Hills, but I was really just, you know, very much a bench player. But it was still a great experience. But the US Open, say that again, t C US Open, TC CHIP, the US Open and Andy North grinding it out and sebb that was his best US Open ever, I believe.
Speaker 2: With eighty six. I mean, I guess, like I think about the way I cover golf, though as I go out, I go out watch. But in that US Open, similar to the Masters, I mean, it was anybody's game. You know, it's ten ten players at one point within you know, I think ten players held the lead on Sunday.
Speaker 1: I would just eat. You may have this. I always referred back to it Sal Johnson's old print kind of a comprehensive statistical summary of all the US opens up I think through ninety six. But he said at four o'clock in the afternoon on Sunday, nine guys were tied for the lead. And I do remember that in sitting in the in the in the lunch room I was sitting with I mean, I was total, you know, very much deferential just to kind of a rookie with Dan Jenkins, Mike Lupica, Dave Anderson, Herbert Warrenwin. I'm just sitting at this table and you know, kind of listening and but I'm looking at the leaderboard, going well, I'm gonna go out there. Uh. And it was hard to leave that table just because it was just so much lore being flung around and wise cracks and just really skilled, incredible uh you know, golf minds, and uh, you know, I left, but and I followed Floyd and and and were on the way in.
Speaker 2: What was what was Ray floyd reputation with the media.
Speaker 1: With the media, well, he was one of those guys that put out a very gruff exterior and was skeptical of talking to the media and would kind of repel people just with his just with his mood and his or at least his the mood that he affected when the media came around that I saw. You know, so he's a little intimidating. But if you could kind of cut through and just keep asking a decent question that that showed that you might have an idea of what, you know, what professional golf's about, he would be very I wouldn't say engaging, but he'd be very thoughtful and and smart about the game. And you know, I ended up doing a book with with Raymond. The elements of scoring was about the short game mostly, but you know, just in general, his course management and the way he thought his way around to go off course and just the inside kind of mental part of the game. Of course, he had some you know, some technical stuff he did with his golf swing, but it was very much a homemade golf swing. He was a great athlete. He got drafted by the Cleveland Indians as a pitcher, and so he really knew sports and he really knew golf, and he knew the competitive side of it wonderfully. I mean, like he he mentored Freddie Couples and and and just took him up a level just in terms of, you know, Usier's power intelligently and you know, lecturer, don't, don't make big mistakes and all these things that you know, they're subtle and they're nuanced. But Raymond could coach it and he could talk it. So, you know, not to say he was expansive that week, but on Sunday he was quite eloquent. I thought about, you know, the way he the way he not conquered, but the way he handled Shinnecock and what Shinnecock demanded of a player. It was really an artistic golf course, and he was an artistic golfer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, watching the telecast a couple of weeks ago, they made o they I can't remember which broadcaster was like we I talked to Maria ray Floyd's wife, and you know, Floyd hadn't had a lot of success in the US Opens, and she said that this week was the most conservative approach he's ever ever taken to golf course at Shittacock. And you think about where modern golf strategy has gotten and you know, basically the gospel is to play you know, I don't want to get too far out over, but ultra conservative is the way to play. You avoid hazards, you avoid bunkers. You and if you you know, aim at middles of greens all day, you're going to roll in a couple of putts and you're going to miss a couple close and that's how you get to you know, four under part. But it's interesting to hear, you know, he had success when he plays ultra conservative, and I think, like it's fascinating, Like there's this lore about so many players in the sport, and you know there's obviously a ton of you know, love of Ben Crenshaw, Ray Floyd one one leg away from from the Grand Slam. I feel like he is one player that is consistently underrated or underappreciated of that era.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and part of it was because he wasn't real expansive and told his story a lot, and you know, it wasn't that engaging with the press. He could have he could have controlled the narrative a little bit more, but inside the game he was I would say revered as extremely good mentally, especially down the stretch. You know, we did see him lose the Masters in ninety and that was a killer when he lost to Faldo. He didn't usually make those kind of mistakes. So you know, what he did at Shinnecock was an interesting week because the week before he had led the third round at Westchester and shot seventy seven on Sunday and you may know the story when they were driving from Westchester to Shinnecock he and Maria. Maria was very challenging and she was the one who turned Raymond's career around because in the sixties he was this really talented, long hitting, powerful player who just kind of screwed around too much, going to the racetrack and you know, late nights and bachelor and you know, living the life but not getting the most out of his golf. And when he met Maria and they got married, it just changed him and he would always talk about that as the turning point of his career. And so she said, you know, Raymond, we got to talk about what happened on Sunday here. You know, you just didn't handle it, I mean, what was wrong. And Floyd didn't want to talk about it. And you know, he said, you know, leave me alone right now. And they're in the car anyway, they end up pulling over on the Long Island Turnpike and having this screaming match. And Maria was a very strong woman and really smart and very accompli business woman before she met Raymond, and Raymond, you know, was really strong personality. But that's you know, he deferred to her in many ways, and she won the argument because they did talk about it. And you know, I guess he got his mind right at Shinnacock, whether it was conservative play or just you know, just being really focused. And I may screw this up, but you know, he used to talk about Raymond having the look, which was this glazed look he would get on Sundays when he would close out tournaments, because he won the PGA, I think by you know, he'd led by eight or something coming down the stretch at Southern Hills and just dominated the whole tournament and shot record score. So when he got it going, you know, he would just get in this wonderful zone. And she said, you know, I've seen him. I've seen him win without the look, or I've seen him how did she put it, I've seen him win occasionally without the look, but I've never seen him lose with the look. And he had the look at Shinnacock and it was you know she was she was playing with with with Payne Stewart. And later when Payne finally won some opens and one of his majors, he said, you know, I kind of got an education from Raymond Floyd. He just had this aura that you know, I kind of shrunk in its presence because it was really a powerful mental focus that just kind of emanated out of him and the players felt it. So you know that that's what Raymond I think had the And he had all kinds of shots. Incredible wedge player, incredible wet chipper of the ball, and could could move the ball around. He was a good ball striker when he when he got it going. He was not always a great ball striker. That was his challenge was finding you know, the right swing. Thought, let's say on Tuesday afternoon or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it seemed he got it really going. Watching that, you know, you're describing him his relationship with the press, you know, kind of his his I would say, Aura, you know, I don't want to use Pj's generations terms here.
Speaker 1: Right that was before they don't know that one.
Speaker 2: But he kind of revives, uh be a little bit like the way he's been described in articles I've read and you by you here of Brooks Kopka.
Speaker 1: I was just gonna say Brooks Brooks could get in the zone, especially at majors obviously, and you know, Raymond early in his career could be very distracted, you know. Uh, he hung around with some guys al Bessa Link and Doug Sanders and Bob Rosberg and Rossi in particular, loved to play the horses, and he was sort of known for like if he was four over on you know, Friday morning, after seven holes, he'd walk off and and he'd go to the track and sometimes he take Raymond with him, and and Raymond knew he was you know, he didn't really know it. He lived in San Francisco in those days, by the way, you know. And yeah, he owned the club, right, He owned part of a strip club, a topless club in on Broadway there. Uh so he was the man. He was the boulevard deer, you know. But he did not He was a hell of a gambler, one of those guys who you know, very tough to beat on it Tuesday or Wednesday practice round. But he just didn't have the sustained focus, so when he did get it, it would just open up a whole world of how good he could really be. And I forgot your original question, and if I'm not answering it sent me straight.
Speaker 2: It was just about Brooks.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I know Brooks. The only reason I brought that up was a good Brooks. You know, he would He's frankly said, you know, it's hard now. Maybe he's different since he's come back from living appreciates maybe with the tour really is every every week, but he would talk about, you know, week to week, I don't really get up for the tournaments, but when the majors come, I'm at my best. And you did see his mean, his demeanor and his facial expression get hardened during those majors, and he was really a you know, he won five. It's just incredible you think back, I mean, Brooks is not really a force at the moment, but you just can and he's not that old. You can't ignore he's won five majors.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I had We obviously did our five things here for this pod, but he has. He's he made mine. I think, like whether he contends or not this year, you know, I think the the win at Shinnikok Hills is about as good of a US Open, you know, achievement as you can get. And when I think about all of Brooks as majors, the Shinnacock Hills Open is the one that I think of as quintessential Brooks, where you know, he played the golf course smart, he hit lots of driving irons, he he in where what I think about the most is like there are a lot of excellent approach shots and excellent you know, just excellent play out of the back eye to close out the US Open in twenty eighteen. But I think about the up and down for bogey.
Speaker 1: On eleven eleven yeah, eleven, say yeah.
Speaker 2: And then the up and down from he was about fifty yards short of fourteen green it was humming down wind a front pin, and the up and down there as these two just like that's Brooks Kopka in a nutshell at a major championship. And obviously you know it doesn't you know, distance Shinnacock's I think this is important everywhere. I don't think distance is like a prerequisite at Shinnacock. And when I look at like, what's the big difference between brooks Kepka today and you know seven years ago or eight years ago when when they played at Shanaicagas, he's not overwhelmingly powerful anymore because of the way the tour has just gotten faster, and he's you know, you lose a superpower. You you aren't going to be you know, the you know, the same dominant force that he was. And I do I think like the way he it will always go under the radar. And talked about the way he understood how to attack a golf course and understand how to attack a golf course. You know, they talked, he talked after O Kill about O Kill about this at the US Open at la how he he really like, if you want to understand a golf course, you stand on the back of the green and you look back and I know which way where I want to be approaching the green from from for different pins. And he really you know, I think like because of his persona and his personality, he will never get the credit for the golf brain that he had.
Speaker 1: You know, one thing, go ahead, scuse me.
Speaker 2: And Shinnakock was that moment you know of of like you know, this is this is a place that is the peak place to win a US Open.
Speaker 1: Well, I think one thing that validated him in my mind, besides the wins and the way he played, that was just, you know, very very much a parent just visually was helping Doak at uh at Memorial Park, and Doak you know, he's not always the easiest collaborator by his own you know admission. I don't mean personality wise. I mean he just has his his ideas and and they're great ones usually. But he said, Brooks really gave him a nice perspective about what tour players, you know, find difficult in green surrounds, and that golf course has very few bunkers, and it's it's amazing how well out of golf course as a municipal or a public course holds up. And it's because of the way that the greens challenge, especially you know, shots around the green. And so you know, Brooks added that to it. And I think of that shot, the up and down at eleven eleven's probably the most diable, diabolical part three at Shinnecock and maybe anywhere. I know. He actually chipped it in the bunker from over the green and then he got up and down. He made about a fifteen foot or so. It wasn't stellar short game play, but it was. It was that toughness and rising to the moment and not make in the big mistake. And he he made bogey there and I think DJ three putted and made bogey and that looked like a big flip and ended up being nothing and he and he may have won the open on that hole. But anyway, the big thing about Brooks is he is a very smart course manager and he's pretty well rounded. I'm talking about now, Pete Brooks. He had a good short game, he was a good putter, he was a good he was a good iron player. I think actually the driver, I mean, because he hit kind of a cut and his his swing is not optimal as far as the angle of attack for distance. It's kind of steep, and he spun it a lot, but he was you know, he got it in the fairway and he was just such a brute that he could get it out there pretty far. But it's not a swing for maximized distance. I mean, you almost never see him turning over with a draw, so you know he was giving up distance even then. But he was so powerful and the game's changed obviously, and I think more than anything when I watch him now, it's the putter if he puts well and gets that back because I didn't he play well yesterday? Yeah yeah, who knows back. Yeah, I wouldn't count him out. Uh, he's due for something. I think. I gotta believe his mindset is so much different and appreciative and grateful that he's back, and you know, probably with a very good attitude at the moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I think I wouldn't be surprised if if he's back in the mix. I think it would be one of the one of the better stories you could have. Just I think when like Floyd, when Brooks is in the mix, it's it's got he gets that, he gets that look and he gets going and and it's like it's a hard player to have in the mix, uh, on the leader board just because of the his closing ability and and pedigree at majors and at a golf course where like you know, Shittacock, I was telling some people this the other day, is like I believe and I know you want to talk about Shittacock Hills. I believe Shittacock is extremely like what I love about Shitnacock is it allows you to go you can make birdie's every hole, I think every hole out there. You look at it and it's like, if I execute, I can make a birdie here. There's no hole that is like overwhelmingly difficult. But what is overwhelmingly difficult about Shittacock is stringing together a series of great holes. And I think, like what I love about the golf course is that you can go out and you could play a great round at Shitakock. And we saw that last time the US Open was here with rounds from like Tommy Fleetwood, Tony f Now played a great round, Daniel Berger played a great round. You can go out and you can really achieve a great round. But what's tricky about Shittacock is doing it multiple days in a row.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I mean it's unrelenting in that regard. You have to hit it solid and really conceive your iron shots correctly to hold the greens. The targets are so small on the greens themselves. To me, it's a second shot golf course. And you know, it's interesting they they've allowed the fairways to be wider this year. John Bodenhemmerh was just talking about that, and you know, I think they want they want to see the artistry from the fairway with the irons and let that be the determiner of who's the best player. And I think that's actually the most beautiful kind of golf because then you see, you know, it's it's a physical challenge, great athletic of I think act to hit a really solid compressed iron shot that's well shaped and you know, is the right is the right trajectory and all those things that go into a really great iron shot and do a great green complex and see that over and over somebody do that. I think that's what the most memorable rounds are about that I've seen anyway. And nobody does that right now better than Shuffler. Uh. But you know Jack Jack didn't go pin hunting a lot, but man, he hit a million greens and he always hit the right shot. Uh, so you know he I remember talking Arnold Palmer wants saying that the best part of Jacks games is middle iron game. He goes, he's just relentless with that doesn't miss greens, hits the right shot, can hold the greens when they get really really firm. In majors, and and that's what Shennikock's gonna demand. You cannot you can't be you know, kind of slapping iron shots around. And we do see that with some players, you know, when the greens are a little softer, they can contend Shehnnacock and the opening general is about that. But Shennacock especially, uh will separate those guys out. You've got to be a really you know that that that that flusher that you you know, sound, all that stuff that's really beautiful about the game, especially on the practice team when you when you see guys just you know, just hitting these artistic, beautiful, solid iron shots. That's what Shinnakock asked for.
Speaker 2: So you've seen a lot of a lot of the great Championship golf courses you've attended, so may it covered so many of the US Opens. Do you believe Shannakok Where do you think it stacks up in the great US Open venues?
Speaker 1: Well? To me, it's the best one. And you know what I've been hearing that, you know Bodenhammer was talking about yesterday. You know they've been surveying the players the last five or six years about you know, what they like to see at the US Open. And and what's important about the US Open, And one of the big reactions is it matters where you win, and winning at Shinnacock they feel defined you as a really good player. And so in many ways, for many players, Shinnecock's their favorite US Open site. And I'm not saying that because the players say that. I love it for its aesthetics, for the you know, it's on the best land, probably the best golf land America is on Long Island. It's the closest to the links, and the wind is blowing and in the summer it's not overly humid, and it's just and the colors of the grass are so beautiful, and the variations it just the most natural, you know, well designed golf courses too, without being overly elaborate, you know, the simplicity of them. It's just a great golf experience. To watch golf out there, and then to watch the players handle it and really go into their bag with everything they got with skill and imagination. You just feel like you're watching the very highest level of golf, and Shinnecock brings it out.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I know a lot of courses used to but since this is you know, getting on a harangue. You know, since the ball has started going so far, at least being hit so far, don't want to blame the ball too much. You know, it's just changed the challenge. And it's to me, it's slightly cheap in the challenge and shinnik because it's not about length as much as just precise contact and beautifully conceived iron shots that that hasn't been lost because of the power. You'll be some wedges coming in, but you know, they still got to be perfectly hit to get close. And so that's what I love about Shinnacock. And I love the clubhouse, and I love the history of it, and in general, you feel like you're at a home of golf. I mean, Pinehers is the American home of golf, and and you know say it feels like Saint Andrew's. It feels like you're at a historic place, especially that clubhouse and the mood that sense at the top of the hill like that, that's that's the best set clubhouse in America, I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean founding five Club two, which is you know, obviously one of the founders of the usgau. There's something to that. But I think, you know, an interesting aspect is like what can you learn from Shinnacock in terms of the spotter technology? I you know, frankly, I think the rollbacks kind of a mess right now. Well obviously, yeah, you know, but the the what can we learn about like what makes players uncomfortable because Shittacock's one of the places that makes modern the modern golfer uncomfortable, and like, sadly, from what I can tell is like the vast majority of what Shittacock does to players is it's natural just sheer natural advantages to other golf courses, which is the ever present wind, the elevation changes, and the firm turf that is that is a byproduct of having sandy soil. Like those three things together, so wind, elevation, and firm turf. You know, Plus they're repelling edges, you know, the greens that repel away the ball if you miss your target or you miss strike your shot. So you know, the the best way to describe this is like when the greens are pretty soft, if I catch the ball a fraction on the toe and say I hit I'm playing to hit a two yard fade into a green that I know is going to stop if I hit catching it fraction on the toe and it turns over a yard or two. At most golf courses, that's not a big deal. You know, at Shinnacock Hills, that could lead to your ball just rolling thirty yards away. Sure, because of the firmness of the turf, and if you're not hitting the shape. Plus you know, like what the way a draw could be accentuated with the wind, or way of fade could be accentuated with the wind, all these things that the margin for error at Shinnacock Hills is shrunk more so than any other American course, and I would say more so than any other course maybe in the world.
Speaker 1: Wow, yeah, well you could make I think you made a good argument, and that's very possibly true that it is the greatest. I think it's very much in the top three or four of the greatest tests for championship golf. Now, if you get it that way for everyday play or even every week play on PGA Tour, it might be a little much. I mean, it's a fine line. You can go over the line. They've gone over the line at Shinnacock, at least by their own admission. They're they're they're rolling, They're they're they're they're they're sort of backing off on going to the edge so much in terms of the whole I don't know about the whole positions, but certainly the front for the firmness and the fairway with and the rough they want Shinnacock to be quote unquote Shinnacock. But it's still championship golf, and you've got to ratchet it up. I think you're absolutely right. It's the natural environment at Shinnecock. That's the greatest challenge. But then when you start tweaking the setup, you know you can make it even better as far as really really testing these guys in a way that brings out inspired championship play. But you can also go over the line and and make it, you know, sort of random, and you don't want to do that either. So I think the setup now at all these majors, it's one of the greatest challenges in the game to get it right. For example, I thought it iron i mink. I thought they actually went too far and it wasn't terrible, it was interesting, but it got to the point where nobody could really hit it close because of the whole positions and because of the firmness, and yeah, they were hitting wedges a lot of the time because the course wasn't that long, but it still ended up with everybody having twenty footers for birdies or thirty footers, and you know, it was that's why the leaderboard got so bunched and it was so hard to separate. Having said that, Aaron Raye he played the best coming in and really was a definitive victory. But I'm just saying up to that point, it was really like, wow, how do you how do you show your superiority in this on this kind of setup? And you know, the PGA not to pick on them in the past, they've been the ones that were kind of us open light and might have been considered too acquiescent to the players. I thought they wanted to get away from that around me because it looked like earlily the week it was going to be wet, number one and number two. The golf course wasn't that long. It's like, man, we could have a you know, seventeen under deal here. Who knows. And so, you know, Carrie Hay has always been pretty conservative. He went he went kind of aggressively I only bring that up because that threat is president every major. Now, if you want to take it to the edge, it's harder to take it to the edge now because the edge is sharper than it's ever been because of the distance the ball is going. And and if it you know, if you allow with but you don't, you don't have enough severity on the green complexes. It's wedges, wedges, wedges, and Berti puts, Berty puts, Berty puts. You know that. So you then if you tied it up too much, and you put too much rough I say too much in the sense that it just becomes so narrow that everybody's having to hit irons or just getting punished from the rough in a way that they can't recover. Then you have kind of like Marian in twenty thirteen, which I'm not saying it was terrible, but it was over the edge. I thought. So that is a challenge that that's why I favor a rollback that would take that would open up you know, the parameters for the setup, guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I you know, I think they you know, last year even was a you know, an interesting setup like the rough at Oakbant, you know, a foot off the fairway and and this happened at Ironomic two. I think this is something that my colleague Joseph Lamannia hits on all the time. Is the idea of like where narrow misses are penalized more than wide miss because you you hit it into the gallery, you get into the trample down rough. And I don't know what the answer to that is on on a golf course like ironom inc or.
Speaker 1: Let me interject, I you know, graduated rough has been you know, villainized.
Speaker 2: I don't get why.
Speaker 1: I think it's you know, it's it's I think it's a very honest, try to be equitable, and uh I think it works in general. Uh yeah, you know, Marco Mirro was a great player. He won two majors, but he didn't have a great US Open. Raguos. It would just drive me nuts to because before they had intermediate rough, it would just be high rough, right off the edge almost and you know I missed if everybody a yard, I might as well miss it by twenty yards. I was dead. So that was part of the challenge of the US Opening. Why you had to be so straight. It was more of a premium on driving accuracy in the past than there is now. Even so it's still kind of a distortion I think of the overall test, that's all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what, I what I I think that one of the things that Shinnakak can do is it does provide a little bit more of equitable I think there's enough space where the crowd, the fans aren't like on top of the golf as much. And one of the things it has is it has the wider fairways. Then there's like a little bit of rough, which sounds like it's going to be pretty tough. It's it's unpredictable, and obviously the name of the game at Shinnacock, because of the greens and the firmness and the repelling nature of them and the severity of them. The name of the game is having control of your golf ball, and that's you have to play from the fairway to do that. And then they have the fescue, so it's like you kind of get a natural graduate or rough here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I think you know, forty eight yards that's the average apparently of the fairway with that's a lot. So if you do hit in the rough, I think fair enough you should be punished, and you got to punish the modern player more than used to punish the older player, I mean the previous player, because he's hitting a shorter club in and the rough has to mean something. So I think as far as equitable, Shinnakock is going to be an equitable test.
Speaker 2: Uh, you know, like everybody's going to run to the forty eight yard number. Those fairways play so much narrower than forty eight yards just so fast. Yeah, and they're fast, and then they go on diagonals all the time, so you're you have to pick I think what the you know, it's one of the brilliant aspects of Shinnakok is the diagonal, you know, And this is one of the things that Flynn a lot of Flynn. You know, if you look at the third hole, that's that's in the same that hole is the same hole as Ceb McDonald laid out in the you know, I think it was nineteen sixteen nineteen seventeen version of Shinnakok. What Flynn did was it took he took the t box that was right of two green, and it set it straight and moved it to the left, and he moved it left we'll say forty fifty yards. And what that did is it puts that hole on a diagonal, so you're teeing off like this. And what it does is it makes you pick line. You have to pick line and distance.
Speaker 1: Okay, you also got to pick shape, yes, you know, and that's I think it's really hard to work the ball with the modern driver and the modern golf ball. But you know, I just to go back to a random very quickly. I watched Rory some of the right to left sloping fairways. He was still hitting a draw. I was kind of shocked because he does have a fade in his in his back obviously, and you know, he needed to fade it against the hills so he could keep it in the fairway. So, you know, I don't know if he's just getting stubborn and going, you know, gosh, this draw. When I hit it straight, I can hold any fairway because it's so straight, so controlled when he's on, But he wasn't quite on the point being you know, the percentage is if you can hit shape it so it lands into the hills, uh, and not with the hill. And that's another you know, especially the back nine at Shinnecock has a lot more undulation, and so the driving becomes more artistic too. I think you know that's another way. Now, you got to pick a golf course that has that. Not every golf course has that, of course.
Speaker 2: All right, let's take a quick break and talk about our partner, T Mobile, the official five G network partner of the USGA and its national championships, including this week's US Open. In addition to bringing advanced network solutions to support enhanced video review and communications capabilities for the USGA rules officials when it matters, most T mobile members have access to exclusive benefits and experiences on site at Shinnecock Hills, America's best network is now powering the USGA. To learn more about how T mobile supports the USGA inside the ropes and provides exclusive benefits to its members outside, visit tashmobile dot com slash USGA. That's tashmobile dot com slash USGA. Thanks to T Mobile. Let's get back to him DS. You brought up Rory I we'll get back to the golf course. I think it'll be probably a through line through this whole conversation. One of the things that I'm kind of why watching is obvious as is Rory. I think, you know, one of the interesting next things to talk about with Rory is like can he win all the majors twice? He obviously has two PGAs he has two masters. We did a little video with him talking about Shinnakak Hills, but he talked about the idea of winning a hard US Open, like a real hard, like one that goes down in the story books of like that was. That was a tough week, and he's talked about how that's the thing that gutted him the most about Pinehurst was like the idea of like, you know, that was the kind of US Open that I want to win. He obviously won Congressional. It was soft, It was a long time ago. But what I think is is fascinating about his career is that if you you know, if we had this discussion seven years ago, we would say, or even you know, ten years ago, Shinnecock is not a Rory golf course. He needs a soft golf course. And in this this this act of his career, I believe that soft golf courses are actually not Rory courses anymore. I think the firm, you know, fast golf course is the golf course with that activates his brain and gives him, at this point in his career, a big advantage over the field because of the way he can now think his way around a golf course, the work he's done with his wedge game, and just his general you know, experience level comes comes to the top. And we've seen him play. You know, to me, the harder the setup, the better it is for Rory.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know if I go that far, Andy not to say I think he has dramatically improved those more subtle and nuanced areas of the game, the wedge play, flighting him lower, spinning him better. He changed his golf ball. That helped too. It's a spinner. It's a spinning your ball. I think it's made him value the control aspect of the game a little bit more, and he knows it's cost him in the past. He knows he could look at the you know, at the statistics and the analysis of that and know that he was an inconsistent wedge player. You know, we talked about Greg Norman a little bit earlier off camera, and you know Rory suffered from you know, flighting his wedges high and hitting a lot of pulls long and not having the distance control. I mean Tiger suffered from that for about you know, seven months when he turned pro and made it a strength, and Rory has eventually made it I would say a strength now. So yes, any golf course is not beyond him any longer. That was a real thing that he won on wet golf courses before he even admitted it. He didn't love firm and fast. I'm not. I don't think it's necessarily his fort now at the exclusion of I mean, a soft golf course with Rory carrying at three twenty is man. I mean, that's a that's a golf course that he should dominate. But he also has the other gear, the gear that, as you say, sort of brings historical achievements and historical performances and and how we really judge is this guy a really complete or close to a complete golfer? And Shinnecock would do that and he knew it, and he knew it at Pinehurst. And but he's gotten better in the US Open. I mean, you know seconds so many times now, and you know a bunch of top tens this this this decade, and you know he's he's better on the harder golf courses than he ever used to be. And Augusta too, Augusta Furman fast was something that he didn't handle that well, and now he does.
Speaker 2: Last two I would say, we're firm and fast assers.
Speaker 1: They Yeah, yeah, he's a better player. He's a better player now he's got some scar tissue. And you know that freedom when you watch those those old films of him at at Congressional or at key Oil. I mean, it's so flowing and incredibly free and powerful, and he wasn't even built like he is now. But that was sort of the age of innocence in a way, and as hard as you get older when you know what can go wrong. And he's had some tough ones, and I think that the way he's recovered from those, it's really one of the inspiring things in the modern game right now is to watch Wrory have this chapter where he overcame the pain of what he went through and it didn't beat him.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I think obviously he's going to be I would say probably story B. Story. I think the golf course is probably story A. This week, Story b's the Scotty Scheffler obviously going for the career Grand Slam, and that's going to be the talk of the talk of the week. I think it's going to be Scotty Scheffler the career Grand Slam. And how is he in a slump right now?
Speaker 1: Well, I don't think he's in the slump. You know. It's funny Tiger used to get occasionally, like in two thousand and three, four oh, Tiger's in a slump. And man, he didn't like hearing that. He really rebelled against that word. But relative to his previous performance, he wasn't a slump. And to some extent or Scott he's in a bit of a slump, I think slightly with the irons which have been so supreme, and I think he's one hundred and thirty fifth in proximity this year. You know that's a small sample, just to take it for half a year, but still it's it's dramatic when you consider he's led proximity I think the last three years. So you know, he's or at least strokes gained approach, I should say. I mean, he is the supreme iron player. That's his greatest of all the strengths that he has, that's his greatest strength and he'll need it the most at Shinnecock And so I'm thinking, Okay, let's see if he can pull like a Nicholas where he goes away for a week and he figures it out and he comes to the Major just prepared and you know, and having a clear mind about whatever struggle he has had, he's figured it out, and then it'll be an incredible week for him. Uh, but that's a big ask. We don't know if that can happen. At the moment. He could still win even with his B game, because he's that good throughout the throughout the bag. Uh, it's gonna be a lot of pressure, a lot of expectation. You know. I know how iron clad he is mentally, but I don't think he loves all the demands of the public position that he has. And he handles it, but it's I won't say it's grudging, but it's sort of in a way that he wants to compartmentalize it and put it to the side. He knows he doesn't want to really want to live it. Uh, golf has got to be separate for him. When that comes to that stuff, that's a distraction and it'll be harder not to get distracted next week. I think if he wins, it'll be his greatest win, not just because it achieved the Grand Slam, but because of everything that you know, has been laid upon him, as far as the burden of sort of carrying the game right now and not being at his best by a little bit of a margin anyway this year, and to recover right in time for this moment would be really, I think, really an exceptional moment for him.
Speaker 2: He hit the nail on the head. Obviously, the iron play hasn't been where it's at. I do think, you know, I think we take for granted and maybe this is the first time we've really like kind of seen it. Just because of the dominance and how long he's been put up on the stage of the number one player in the world. I mean, it's exhausting. You get you're gonna get requested to talk every single every single time. And I think what's different about Scotty than You're Rory, than your Tiger, like other players that have been in this position, is that the way Scotty ascended to number one was he was not the young phenom that from age eighteen, you know, nineteen, Like if he's at a tournament, people want to talk to him, and it just it becomes part of his life. He ascended to this stature at age twenty five twenty six, where he lived life out of the limelight and now he then he got thrust into like, no, you you need to be you were you were going to get asked questions. You are going to be you know, requested every single time after he had grown accustomed to a different life, right, which I think is hard. It is an adjustment period and it's something like you know, like yeah, like it's hard that Rory and and Tiger and you could go down the list of of you know, Jack and Arnie had to deal with this all the time, every time they showed up anywhere, all the time. But it became that for them it was just like part of life. And for Scotty, he you know, he he played on the corn Ferry Tour. None of those guys played on the corn Fairy Tour where you just play golf and yeah, nobody's around, nobody's asking you anything, you know, and then he plays on the tour and he you know, he it's like, oh this he's in the mix a lot. But he can't get it done, you know, like that's not like a life that people you know, where they people are dying to write that story all the time, you know, and now it's he's just always there. I think what if Scotty, as you said, figures it out, this could play out a lot like port Rush. This is a golf course that, like when you look at it on paper, if Scotty Scheffler is got his a game, it is going to be exceptionally hard for anybody to stay near him because of the demand that the golf course presents it. I think port Rush is as good of a links golf course as we have in the world. And I said this last year and port Rush is as good as it gets. And I think Shittacock and port Rush are right at the top for me of just golf course tests for the modern game. And the way Scotty just dismantled the field in Northern Ireland. If if if Scotty has the iron play and it's up to snuff and he's putting well, I think that's one of the things that has been kind of illuminating this year. Also is the putter seems to have regressed a little bit which is natural. I mean, you know, that's the way golf works and statistics work. Like he had a great couple of year run and maybe he's regressed a little bit with the putter, but if you if he get if he comes in with his a game, it could be a blowout.
Speaker 1: Well what's cool is I think the greatest golf courses allow the greatest players to separate it by the largest margin. Uh And you know, because they test something that most players don't quite have, but the greatest do have, and it's the advantage becomes more pronounced and then suddenly you see these you know, these runaways would like Tiger at that at Pebble to some extent. I remember when Jack in seventy two at Pebble was really windy and he and he separated. And you know, Jack wasn't always known as a great win player early in his career, but he became one. But as far as you know, all these things we're talking about with Scotty, I think you make some great points about his early career not really being one in which he was engulfed by media and not you know, kind of growing up with it. Now there's a flip side of that which is you become. I think, you know, Rory is an amiable person. I think he enjoyed most media growing up. It was mostly favorable. He was kind of the you know, kind of a fair haired, very likable kid. For Tiger, it was a burden right from the start, and he got it before anybody got it, so he knew how to handle it. But he handled it in a way that was I would say, almost cynical. You know. It's like, man, just avoid anything that's gonna, you know, be blown up into anything else. And he got very good at not saying very much. I think Scotty is, you know, he's an intelligent guy. Tiger is too. He kind of outsmarted the media for a long time. But I think Scotty likes having, you know, conversations in normal life. He's engaging, he's pretty funny. But he also knows from watching and studying number one players over these last decades especially, that demand on the number one players just getting greater and it's getting to be more of a distraction and a harder thing to stay up there than ever. And I think he studied it in a way is going, okay, how do I survive up here? How do I do it best, And to some extent, he's got to suppress his normal personality and not really engage every question and try to, you know, get through it with you know, a decent, you know, kind of honest answer that's not too in depth. And so I think he struggles when a question that he knows is going to lead him into an area that would open up a lot of interesting kind of writing about about it, whether it was the Putter or whatever it happens to be, he puts the brakes on it, and so it makes him look like he's not enjoying it, and I'm not, you know, I kind of said that earlier, that doesn't really enjoy I think he doesn't enjoy the obligation of it when it can encroach on his concentration on the game. And I think one of the things that Scotty does best of all is just get into a really ironclad mindset for four days. And that's something that he's matured into, and he did it at Port Rush, and he even talked about that after Port Rush was like, man, I was intense on every shot. And I did a story on him last month in which he kind of learned that from Tiger. He played with Tiger when Tiger made ten on the twelfth hole at Augusta and then birdied the last five, five on the last six, and he'd already gotten the impression. It was the first time he played with Tiger, and he said, man, it was the other world intensity for every golf shot. And that's such a you know, how do you even measure that? But he felt it. And maybe it was partly because of who Tiger was, but also because of but he was just seeing in that moment in terms of the intensity that it took to be that good. And I think he's tried to replicate that intensity and and doing interviews and stuff. It's fine, it can be interesting if you're an off day, but during the tournament, it's going to be something that he wants to, you know, as I say, compartmentalize, put aside and not carry into the round. And I think, you know, we'll see that. I think we'll see that that Scotty next week, a very focused Scotty in spite of the New York media asking all kinds of stuff about the Grand Slam. I think he'll keep him at arm's length.
Speaker 2: Your point about the every shot intensity is an underrated one about you know, golf and the challenge of golf is you know, I don't think many people would look at it, but like the it's so hard to keep that level of urgency over seven two holes. I feel like you get it at the start and then there's a lull in rounds and then there's like you're you're trying to close that around and that's that is, you know, the difference between I think like at any level, even like a club level, all the way to separate up in the game is the people that can that can just and this is you know, you think about Brooks in his heyday of major championship years was like unrelenting when to give away a shot, like just does not give away shots. And that's the thing that Scotty does so well, especially with that other worldly short game he has, you know, and when the putter behaves it. You know, I think there is something about Scotty where he just seems to make a ton of fifteen footers in big moments. You know, like in a way sometimes I think I when I watch him, I'm more sure he's going to make a fifteen footer then he's going to make a six footer, you know, and I think, you know, he just he just there obviously that all the talent that goes into it, you know, it is one thing, but there is a mindset thing. And the in the in the Port Rush major was it, you know where only two majors removed from it, but it feels so far by the way the calendar works, but you know, three majors go is like, I mean this guy can like, how are we ever going to beat him?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Well, that effort to do that, it's exhausting.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: And and one of the things I thought last year, I mean, Scotty played so well. He didn't get enough rest, I thought, And you know, and I think that that intensity shot after shot at or shot so hard to summon if you're not fully you know, fully rested physically and and your mind has been you know, kind of allowed to relax. Uh. And it's as the pressure grows, I you're number one, the long longer, it gets harder to make that effort over and over because it takes more. I remember his Tiger when he won I guess when he won the what the last one of the Tiger Slam in two thousand and one, he said on eighteen, he goes he finally realized, hey, there's no more shots. Every shot was the same. In other words, you know, for seventy two holes, and then I'm out of shots. I'm done, you know, But I gave every one of them. I think it was implied I gave everyone the same amount of effort and that, as you're saying, I mean, it's not really a human things. It's a robotic almost you know, cyborg type thing. Not very few can do it. And it's a separator at the highest level, no question, it's a separator, I guess said. Even just playing with your friends, some guys have better than others. And they don't have lapses, they don't have lulls. They're able to focus. I mean even in our tab writing. I see guys in the press room. They're so good at just sitting down and finishing and getting up and walking around like an idiot, you know, just I'm distractable to procrastinating all these things. Yeah, well I'm not proud of it, believe me. But you know, to have that ability to really just focus is it's it's an athletic gift and it's a life gift. Uh. And anyway, I think you're onto something that. On the other hand, you know, I think one of the reasons it's hard to stay on top of the game is because it's hard to say, sustain that over years. And Scotty's been up there a while, and he looks like, what's what's really cool is I think he's able. He's gonna be able to stay long a long time, which very few have done, because I think he's got a good handle on on the on the burden of it and what it takes, and and uh, you know, he can pull away and say, you know, I got to go back and live a regular life so I can be ready to play again. You Nicholas used to just he disappear after August September and not not really even practiced that much until the last couple of weeks of December, and be ready and fresh when the season started. And he said that that kept me going. My longevity was in large part thanks to that. And the way that season is getting compressed and there's just so many majors quickly. Now I know there's going to be more time off, but it seems like the mental the mental strains getting a little higher again.
Speaker 2: I the the comment about you know he played too much last year. You know, one of the aspects of Scotty just with how good he is is he's in contention every week, and when you're in contention, it takes four.
Speaker 1: Hours more tiring, there's no doubt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, then when you finish T twenty four and you know you never really are in it. I think what one really big picture story this doesn't pertain to the US. Open about that is like, I think that we're going to see players, the very best players continue to throttle down. They're the amount of events they play because the way the schedules set up with the majors, and we're starting to see it where we see, you know, between these majors, there's a month between all these majors, and we're lucky to see a player once, you know, if it's a Rory, a Scottie, and obviously with liv you know you have rom somewhere else. But you know, we haven't seen Cam Young play. You know, Cam Young played Memorial. It's like that you see these players and they they they are they're shrinking their schedule down in major season and I don't you know, like I think that's only going to continue it's like it feels like it's like the precipice of the practice round thing, where like some guys start to limit their play before a tournament to get the rest, to say my body's fresh, and then all of a sudden, everybody did it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, I think there's a moment people are trying to optimize everything now, you know, whether it's you know, clubhead speed or spin raiates, and you can optimize your readiness to play. And you know, in the older days, you know, everybody had to play. They had to make money, and they played a lot of times with their ce game and got through it and kept going and played thirty tournaments a year, and that was part of being a pro. And now there's so much money that you don't have to play every week. Number one, I think live creating all that disruption and for a moment that the tour being in chaos elevated the majors, and I think that that has endured as a lasting kind of value on the majors, that it's actually increased and as a result, the tour has to be careful now that they don't become too subordinate to the majors, and that's a challenge, because really, if you're talking about being a tour player, now, who's going to be demanding the most commanding, the most endorsements and the most recognition and branding and all that stuff. You win majors and more so than ever. And as a result, you know, the the the week to week has been to some extent diminished, and that's a dangerous trend. I don't want that to happen. I want the tour to be premier, you know, spectacle every week, just like the NFL is. You know, that's one of the great strengths of the NFL is those Sundays all matter and you wait a week for him, and but that that caravan the tour has. You don't want to start looking monotonous in any way, not important, and the majors can do that. Jack gets blamed for that, like you made the Major so important, but the tour was still players had to play, they had to play to make money, and the tour was still a week to week really important deal. And that is right now to some extent. I'm not saying it's going away. I'm just saying there's a shift. And to your point, you know, now with the major's being so compressed. People really want to be ready for those four and in the tournaments around it are are getting to be you know, kind of a sense of man, you're waning. Do you really do you really want to play and get tired and not be optimal for that major. I don't know if it's an exact science and they really know what's optimal or not. Golf so random. Sometimes the tire player comes in and shoots the lights out and somebody thinks they got it right loses it on Thursday morning. You just don't know in golf that'll always be there. But there is a pattern now where guys are going, No, this is how you get ready, and it's not always playing a lot.
Speaker 2: Another player that was at the top of the game that I wanted to talk about who hasn't been playing a lot is John Rahm. We saw, you know, we saw him. I think like in a way, this live the Lift thing's been rough for him in a way I don't think he anticipated obviously. I think it was really clear that he thought when he went that everything was going to come together and he was gonna like effectively get a payday and then bring everything together and in it's I think it's gone. It's been a nightmare for him the last couple of years. I think the the added burden of coming to majors and and having to deal with the are you going to be the player you were before you left or Live has been bad in a way. I think this uh this year with the you know, the piff pulling the plug on Live in terms of funding, I think he's actually in a great situation now in the sense of like he has some closure, this is this is going to be over soon for me, And I think it sets him up, you know, I'm I think it sets him up to be a obviously with his talent, a real threat. But I think it's going to lead to a comeback of sorts of John Rahm as the you know, elite major. Okay, if it's not, if it's not Rory or Scottie, John Rahm is, like, you know, is right there with him as a major player, and we haven't had that for a couple of years in terms of where he's been. But I think we've seen some signs of it this year.
Speaker 1: He played great at the PGA. I thought he and that was impressive. Man, he was driving it so aggressively and so consistently. I mean it was really that was a weapon, man, and you start realizing this guy, this guy's got a lot of a lot of firepower, a lot of tools, and he's a great player. However, you know, he made a decision that had real consequences, and you know, I hope he overcomes, you know, the toll that took. But part of me feels like, man, you made a big mistake and you should have seen that coming. I feel like it's almost like, you know, it sounds so crazy going into a ran. You know, it's like, didn't you see that coming? They're gonna close the straight to core moves. Then you see that coming, You're not gonna be able to play with the best players and you're gonna lose your edge. And also you did something that was really dangerously harmful to the tour. A tour survived, but man, it was touch and go there because the other guys could have followed at that moment and that could have been a breaking point. And you know, that's a hard thing to forget. And you know, look, I root for his talent, I root for him having a good career, but I also say, what's happened to him was predictable. He should have seen it coming and shouldn't have done it as a result. Now I'm sounding judgmental there, but and that's not hindsight. I mean I felt it at the time. I felt like, this is a mistake. Man, You're too good a player. You talk about playing for history. How is this playing for history? Now he's back to plane for history. He had a cessation there that he'll never get back. That's a gap in his life, a gap in his career.
Speaker 2: And he comes out.
Speaker 1: If he comes out with the right attitude, he can regain what he had. But those are lost years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think, you know, when when we look back and we'll see where where he gets to in terms of majors, Like you know, he's somebody that you know, you wouldn't be surprised to see four or five majors next to his name when he's all of a sudden done, of course, but a piece of his legacy will always be him in that Letterman that lived Letterman jacket and that was a.
Speaker 1: Bad campaign, bad campaign and there, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's always going to follow him everywhere. But I do think we're probably on the I would say the backside of the.
Speaker 1: I'll just interjact really quickly. I think he's handled it very well. Recently he wasn't handling it too well, but he's handled it very well as far as like, hey, you know, there was there's a certain humilities, just a nice kind of restraint to the way that he answered questions at the PGA, an evenness, an equanimity, you know, just kind of a wisdom to like, Okay, I went through this, I made a mistake. I want to pick up my life in my career and without being angry about it or arrogant about it or defiant about it. I think that was not just good to hear. I think it was good for him.
Speaker 2: So, you know, obviously we saw ron burst on the scene. He was one of the great college players. Something that I'm very excited about this this week is two young players just announced Jackson Coyven's turning pro after the US Open. Seeing Jackson Coven and Miles Russell, who who qualified out of out of Florida, who's still in high school, I think these are two the you know, I think we've been void of we have been void of a great young American star in a while. Uh, and these two are our people that I think have the you know, the the personalities, the games to potentially fill that. Obviously, Coyven's been a absolute dominant force in college. He's won the SEC Championship three years in a row. Number one ranked amateur. He basically earned his card through the PGA Tour You Points system a year ago. He is, he is, He's done basically everything at the amateur level. He has won the USAM he has won Nancy A Championship, but he has been a a absolute force on the amateur circuit and I'm I'm fascinated to see him begin to kind of take the next step to the highest threshold of pro golf. And I'm fascinated to watch. I think that is a kind of a fun thing to follow early next week and we'll see where he gets to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I think two things have happened and are true right now. These young players are getting better, faster, and getting at a higher level than they've ever gotten. But there's so many of them that it's harder to separate. Yeah, and we don't know who's going to emerge out of this. Miles Russell looks like he's just a prodigy, incredible talent, just you know, looks like he's Togan hitting the ball. Every swing looks the same. I don't know, I'm amazed at how proficient these guys are young. But the irony isn't It doesn't predict stardom necessarily because there's so many guys to beat and there's so many other elements to be in a good touring professional. I mean, do you like the life? Can you handle the disappointment? You know, all the all the things between the ears that happened that we can't see, the invisible things. But as far as the visible things, wow, they're just also good.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Brings me back to equipment and things. Not the blame equipment for how good they are, but it's like you see these kids who have been hitting the ball and on a track man since they were nine years old, and they perfected it almost and it's like, man, the game is almost too easy for these guys, and golf will never be too easy, but they just give that illusion of it. But then all the other intangibles come in and you don't know who's going to emerge. I mean, Tiger, you know, I watched Charlie Woods swing and I and I and I thought, God, he's actually his swing. Not that I came the best judged necessarily at all, but it's kind of better than Tiger's was looking, at least when he was fourteen. But Tiger had something else and I don't even know how you even define it to this day, but it was an intensity and it was a focus that was on other you know, off the charts. So who's going to have that and whether it's you know, Covid, I haven't watched him play. You're a good student of these young guys, and I should watch more college golf because really you're you're watching an incredible level. But again, it's sort I sort of feel like, let's wait and see because it's just too early. But yeah, maybe somebody emerges and listen. I honestly think one of these young guys could like win a tournament, like we've seen that before, amateurs winning tournaments. Fill One one when I think he was twenty, and Scott Ford Plank and others have won. But there's it seems like there's four or five who could actually get into the arena and not be odd by it because they've been playing competitive golf so long and such a high level and probably play at home at some of these clubs that have a million tour pros around. I mean, I think one of Scotty's great, you know, sort of developmental advantages was he was around a bunch of pros when he was like seven years old at Royal Oaks and just picking up stuff that you wouldn't normally pick up until you got on the tour in the old days. And and they're so precocious, but again, we don't know. There's still a mystery to what it really takes to be great, and things have to break right sometimes and the prodigies sometimes come through and sometimes they disappear completely. So but I think the odds are that we'll see younger and younger winners going forward here because they're just better at a younger age.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's I feel like we've had a run of players where it's like, oh, like they play, they come up and they play really well, but then they they actually make the leap to the full time tour pro and they regressed in a way like we saw this with Luke Clanton. You obviously have like everybody's kind of waiting for Michael Thorpe Jornsen to have to kind of get out and win everybody after the year Johnny Keefer had on the Court Ferry tour was Johnny, you got to watch out for this guy, Johnny Keefer. And the reality is are is it's it's hard. There are so many good players. It is hard to separate. And that's why, you know, like, what's one of the things that's been a I think like a revelatory And you know, you go back to the twenty twenty one you Ryder Cup at Whistling straight. Do you think the US is going to dominate forever? Look at all this young talent in a way that Europeans have more young talent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, maybe their developmental period, their their developmental programs is is more healthy and better in some ways, it's not quite as intensive. They're not on the AJJ tour as much in the same way, but they eventually all come to America and that's the place where you really prove it. So, you know, I was going to say something about some of the young guys. Oh, you know, I wonder if the unorthodox guy, I mean Michael, I'm going to pronounce his name wrong, or Thorpe Jordtson. I mean, man, he's impressive looking. And then I look at Scott gotter Up, Chris Gottrup, Excuse me, I mean, I mean he you know, he's an athlete number one. But that is an unorthodox swing. That's a really personal golf swing with a lot of actually different kind of shots that he hits too. He can do all kinds of things with the golf ball, and part of it is because he's not really programmed technically in this perfect way. And so sometimes you wonder, man, maybe something's lost when everybody looks so uniform, and in Europe you see a little bit more variation. I think. Although they're in golf camps just like Americans are and the national teams and everything, they're teaching a lot of uniform things, but individuality is something that sometimes is the thing that ends up being the separator. Are you true to yourself? Are you not trying to be something else but just what you are and only know yourself so well that you know yourself better than the guys who have actually tried to fit into a mold, so to speak. And that's a very general statement. I think Abubba Watson, like the most talented player I ever saw in some ways didn't have it. Uh, in the intangibles didn't have it.
Speaker 2: I mean you think about like the mental makeup of Bubba would not be what.
Speaker 1: You never and it never would be. It never would what you said.
Speaker 2: The physical attributes. I mean it's still you know, this is is he's I think he's forty eight now.
Speaker 1: He could still do it if he wanted, if he had it the head for it, he could still do it. He's that talented. But you know, it's there's it just teaches us. There's a lot more than that. There's a lot more than not just talent, but just physical you know, creativity and all those things that we talk about. You still got to have it between the ears when you're walking from one shot to the next shot, and god, that is no one's figured it out completely. You know, you got you know, uh, sports psychologists are taking more of a prominent role again with Gosha here. Now, I've been talking too long in my minds.
Speaker 2: U Julie, Julia, and.
Speaker 1: I was trying to think of the players. She's you know, we know Wyndham Clark. Wyndam Clark's amazing physical talent, amazing physical so strong, so graceful, athletic as hell, and yet you know he's had to battle his his internal life, his internal game. And as that improves, I still feel like that's the next frontier, that's where everybody will really start to optimize, because that's still there's more unknowns about that than anything else.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I wrote down a bunch of names here. Obviously this is always a major discourse item best players without a major, and I feel like we've we've stacked up that nobody I don't think on this list stands out as like wow, like look at this. You know, there's no Lee Westward, there's no Phil Mickelson at you know, age thirty two on this list, but it's you know, you got Russell, Henley, cam Young, Tommy Fleetwood, Chris got her up, Ludwig are the names kind of wrote down as like right now, the best players without without a major? Who of those would you be most most interested in this week? Potentially breaking through this week?
Speaker 1: You know, Victor Hoblin's another name.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had I had him on PJ. PJ was shaming me with Victor Holin, which well, you.
Speaker 1: Know Victor, Victor, he's an explorer, you know, and he's taken a couple of wrong turns, but I still have faith he he'll no, no, no, I I didn't mean. I just thought of him because you know, his his great golf has been tremendous. You know, Oberg is kind of the most intriguing because it just looks so natural and easy for him, and he's so gifted physically, his size, his effortlessness. You know, it looks like he's good at everything. It turns out statistically he's not the greatest around and on the greens, but those things can be improved. Uh, you know, I think he'll have a breakout. I think that the Players was a scarring moment and that you know, it may be lingering, who knows, but in the end it's going to be a good lesson that he'll I think, grow from. But you know, you hate to see the delay from it, but that's golf. Nobody gets out unscarred. I think size and power is still the advantage we used to talk about. You know, hey, the optimal size for a golfer should be like five ten, you know, one sixty one seventy because once you get really long limbs, you got all these angles and all these variables and it's harder to repeat, you know. I think that that's been debunks probably. And also we're seeing really tall guys be great putters, and that was true all through history. Actually a few guys, who knows why, So I think.
Speaker 2: It's about how they see the line maybe, yeah, or just.
Speaker 1: The pendulum action of standing that tall who knows, I don't know. George Archer was maybe the greatest, and a few other guys who were that. Tom Siekman was a great putter and the best part of his game. He's a big guy, six five sixty six. Anyway, Uh, I just think that now, I see I lost my train again. Sorry. Well with Ludwig, yeah, yeah, no, I think is to me he's shown the most the most potential and h he's been through a couple of wars now, so maybe next time he gets in one he'll be more ready for it. So I guess I pick him.
Speaker 2: That's I. You know, I think there's a you know, an online discourses, as we learn with the with the NBA Playoffs is just a treacherous place where where players could go from the love to to hate it in three days. With the with the New York fans going at him. But the but the I would say, the the thing about Ludwig, which I am. You know, people are now like, oh, he can't get it done, you know, and it's you know, what the game is to get yourself in the mix so you can get it done on Sunday. And I think like, of this list, why you buy Ludwig, I would say cam Young, I would put.
Speaker 1: Absolute, he showed so much. Yeah, you know that Sunday thing. It's still the greatest challenge in the game, you know, it is to close it out. That's such a hard thing now.
Speaker 2: I used to think it was you can't close it out if you're not there.
Speaker 1: Well, no, true, but a lot of guys get there in fade, you know, kind of repeatedly and makes you think sometimes it's innate, and maybe to some extent it is. But I also think it can be a learned behavior to handle it. And you know, Watson was a guy who you know, threw a couple away pretty pretty traumatically, Tom Watson and then became an incredible closer. Even Jack threw a couple away early, you know, So can you learn from it? I guess that's that's the separator. Can I think I think you have to.
Speaker 2: It gets easier every time, even if you go through the pain.
Speaker 1: Well, it can get harder too, if you do it too much. You know, it's a delicate balance. It's a tight rope. There's a lot at stake when a guy gets into contention. I think that's one reason unconsciously he's talking sports psychologists about this. Some guys don't want to be number one. It's too much to always have your game being judged and on the brink of a really disappointing result. It hurts more when you're on top, and it hurts when you're in the middle of the pack living a decent, you know, kind of consistent life as long as you're not losing your card in that sort of thing. And some guys settle into that. I don't know if that's going to happen more, and if that it's actually a real thing, But it was theorizable a lot it used to be. And I think it's easier now to make a great living without being a big winner. I think you might see guys pulling back from that cauldron because it is a painful one. I mean, Rory've been through hell, and I think that's why he pulled for him so hard to get out of it because you knew, man, he's overcoming a lot now, and it was really pretty heroic to win that first Masters. Really was. He had every reason to be you know, kind of permanently disabled, and he wasn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, it's I mean, the burden. It's one of the best parts about a major. You know, you have this week, you have weeks of speculation and talking like this podcast about who might get it done. Then you have the days setting up, and then it gets to Sunday, and it gets to that point on Sunday where players go or they fade. I think it's one of the things that resonated with me the most about Aaron Rye was you had this, he did not a lot of spectacular players on the leader board, and Aaron Raie goes and he just beats the crap out of everybody.
Speaker 1: And takes it. You know, he just shot coming in did not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he just took the major. He just took it in like no matter what, like people are going to go back in time and like, I don't expect this to be a flurry of Aaron Rye wins in there, and you know, twenty years from now, with the context ripped away, people will be like Aaron Rye one won the PGA. Aaron Raie took that championship away from the best players in the world.
Speaker 1: He did the thing that everybody dreams of doing at the biggest moment. He played his best golf. I mean literally his best golf. That is so rare for anybody. So he's going to have that forever, and you know, he might get studied. He's maybe a model because I know how meticulous he is, and you know, and also the humility he carries himself with. All those things are things that are going to go. Hey, there's a lesson with that guy. That was not an accident. He did it and he's paid his dues and when the moment came, he was ready. Why let's find out why.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think that you make a lot of money if you can figure out why. I think you can make a lot of money across Yeah, recreation, you're thinking about making you're thinking about making money.
Speaker 1: You're not going about it the right way. That's the thing. You know, you got to have your mind in the right Are you playing for the right reasons? You know, that's that's another sports psychologist question, what are the why do you? Why do you play? And if it's for the money, you're probably not going to be as great as you could have been.
Speaker 2: We're going to close this out with a with with a topic that could be this whole old podcast. You know, I think there the USGA obviously is pushing the roll back, the RNA obviously very behind it, the idea of you know, I wouldn't call it a rollback, We're just honestly trying to set stand still, stand still. I think there was a terrible snag that was hit recently when it came out that Cameron Young, who hit a three hundred and eighty yard you know, t shot on the eighteenth hole at the Players this year, it came out that Cameron Young's ball is conforming under the rollback, and I think it hit a little bit of a snag and I'm very you know, I think this is something that you wanted to talk about as well. It could be just a fascinating week in terms of like what is the USGA going to say about rollback?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think unfortunately the process has been corrupted, not in an unlawful way, but for what was intended, which was, let's bring everybody in, let's have a consensus about what we should do. Let's make sure every quote unquote stakeholder gets a voice, and so then when there's a decision, there will be consensus, there will be an agreement that we all got a fair shot and this was the best decision. And instead what you have is more more fragmentation. And to me, the key moment was when the USGA got off their original proposal of bifer king of two sets of rules basically and uh, you know, the model local rule being enforced at the elite events, and gave in to the idea that we can never get off, you know, the unified rule and everybody playing by the same equipment rules and everything the same. And that allowed the opponents of a rollback to basically mitigate what the USGA couldn't could ask because you once you start taking distance away from the recreational player, you're you're you know, you're stepping on the third rail. That's poison. You can't do that, and they're doing it now in very small increments, and there's still all these pushback because everybody wants to get longer. But I would just say the threshold has been met at the elite level. Getting longer is becoming now counterproductive. And you can judge any way you want. The game will survive. This is a matter of taste. What kind of game do you want to see? I want to see the skill game. I want to see the game where everybody hits all kind of shots with different clubs.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: That game is leaving us because the shots coming into the greens are so short now in general, and the clubs being hit are lofted. And that doesn't mean it's a bad game. It just means that there's a part of the game that we're not seeing that actually was the most challenging part of the game. And I'm not on a soapbox now, so I don't mean to be. I just want to say that, you know, I would say that if the USGA could, and I don't know if they can, because what we don't know at this moment who's going to follow it anyway. The tour has not bought in yet, the pH of America has not bought in yet. The manufacturer certainly have not bought in yet. You know, we got we got a major gridlock here, and there is the reality that there is nothing legally compelling anyone from following what the USGA and the RNA decide. That's always been, you know, this just kind of gentlemen's agreement that, you know, we should follow those guys because they know best. And now people are saying, no, they don't know best, and we're not. We think it's unfair and we don't want to Well, they're threatening to say we are not going to follow it. If that happens, what happens to the game. As far as you know, there's anarchy, there's there's chaos. So I think there's a lot riding on all this, and I think cooler heads will prevail, wiser heads will prevail eventually. But it's been a very long and unnecessary detour. I just wish if the USJA could be a little autocratic and go, we decree this, this is what it's going to be. Like the NFL would do, like the NBA would do, like the MLB would do, Like every major sport does they set their own rules and the players follow them. Golf, because of all kinds of variables, does not do that. And I think it's been to the detriment. We've reached a point where it's now become to a head and we you know, are at a crossroads. And I hope, I hope something at this open gets clarified a little bit, because I think right now it's very murky what's going forward.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's I you know, I think it's obviously so easy to go play you know, Monday more and in quarterback. But if you look at the decision making, and this was always you know, by not putting a firm line and an aggressive line in the sand, you remove all your negotiation power which was bound to happen.
Speaker 1: And is any really quick. It turns out that behind the scenes they understand now the USJA and the r any kind of understand we don't have as much leverage as people thought we had.
Speaker 2: You know, I think there is leverage, though the masters are behind them. It used to.
Speaker 1: Be basically I hate the USA, but I gotta do what they say. You know, even guys who were opponents of it, now it's like, hey, I don't like the USA, I'm not going to do it. Wow, you know that's a big lead.
Speaker 2: It's uh so, you know, this is this is anecdotal, it's you know, it's wild, it's you know, I played. I'm on a recreational golf journey here where I'm I'm at banded dudes playing thirty six sols a day with Hickory Clubs. Oh cool, Now abandon from the regular teas. I can overwhelm bandon with abandoned dude's courses with power where.
Speaker 1: You can overwhelm them. Wow, I'll.
Speaker 2: I'll hit regis in all day long from the regular piece.
Speaker 1: And that's the modern game. You're just playing the modern game.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I'm playing Hickory Clubs coming down the stretch. And I was playing a match yesterday afternoon, coming down the stretch. I had a par five. I hit a five iron into the green for my third shot. It was into the wind. I was abandoned traills on the seventeenth, Oh, I had a three iron. On eighteen, I hit a three iron into the green. Like that is different. It's just insane to me that people. The best thing in sports is a wide range of outcomes, like anything could happen. That is what is exciting about sports is the range of outcomes. The shorter the club in, the less outcomes are are feasible.
Speaker 1: I guess, or at least the process. The process is less variable, there's no question you can still have incredibly incredible, incredible finishing. Let me just say real quick, the best advertisement to me for a rollback was Matt Fitzpatrick's four iron into eighteen at Hilton Head into the wind and a big hard into a crosswind with a four iron that he flushed with a draw against that wind. It was a classic golf shot. You don't see that shot anymore except on par fives. To see it on a par four, to me, brought that tournament alive. It just raised not just the drama, it raised the admiration for how good they are, and some of that is being lost.
Speaker 2: I mean.
Speaker 1: So that's what I would say if I if I was running a campaign for a rollback, I'd run a video of that shot and try to, you know, put people in that moment and what it meant. And you know, we don't want to lose that in golf. In my opinion.
Speaker 2: You see it with the with this week. You're gonna see the paving shot over and over and over again, his forward on eighteen and that just does not happen.
Speaker 1: But you know, neither one is those who's gonna happen. You know, if there is a rollback. Even if there's one that's the best case scenario, we're gonna be talking about six and seven irons, not four irons and four woods. Yeah, but that's okay. That that still to me will improve the game at the highest level. Only everybody else play with everything you got kidded, as far as you can play not conforming equipment, I'm okay with it. You know, honestly, the game is hard. But when you're that good and you want to see the best separate themselves from the rest of the best, I think the game needs an adjustment.
Speaker 2: I completely agree. I think I don't think you know, the best are still going to be the best. And and I think there's like I get, I completely understand if I'm a tour player. Why like tour players can't you can't go to them. You're you're literally threatening their their jobs here, they're alway to change the game. Different players might rise. I think the best are always going to be the best.
Speaker 1: Like, look at all these changes that are been andy all through, I mean from Hickory to steal from you know, the little ball to the big ball, you know, the British ball of the one point one point six I mean that was a huge change, and everybody made it. You know, Nicholas just talking about going over to play in the Open and on Tuesday start playing a little ball and you know, after about eight holes he was Okay, I got it. I mean, it's not that big a change. These guys act like it's such science. It's never been scienced. I know, there's all kinds of you know, everything is for analytics, everything track man, there's all kinds of actual science being applied to the game. But hitting a golf ball perfectly every time is not attainable. So there's variables and everything. And if the equipment changes, players will adapt. They'll adapt imperfectly, like they would adapt, not just adapt, but as they would continue on imperfectly with what they have. It's just an imperfect game. So equipment changes should not be looked at as you know, apocalyptic, like I just think that's propaganda.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of propaganda out there. But it'll be that'll be a Wednesday, I believe, maybe. I think it's usually Wednesday when the USGA talks. Hi may last question here, who's your winner this week? I know you're having to pick early. Who would you be your pick? On Friday, the week before the US I'm.
Speaker 1: Always biased wards, you know, history and the great and the great player, and I want to see Scotty win the Grand Slam. So I'm gonna I'm gonna pick Scotty on the basis of thinking he's right now this moment, he's getting it together. And I'm not saying he's that far off. It's a small he's gonna tweak it positively, and he's gonna bring that ultra intensity and and he's always up there and he's and he's gonna get it done on Sunday like he did at the Olympics, like he did at Port Rush. He's gonna be in that zone again. So that's my that's my wish, but it's also my prediction.
Speaker 2: I'm uh, I'm gonna go. I'd be remiss to not get him. You know, it could be me just trying to crowbarrow this name into the podcast, but I'm gonna go with uh. You know, maybe I you know, we keep he's becoming an ageless wonder, but we keep. You know, this could be the last year of really great chances of succeeding. I think this sets up very well for him, this type of type of golf. Uh, I'm I'm gonna go with Justin Rose.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, he is a very complete player. He's yeah, you know, Sunday is the problem. I'm not saying he's not capable, but Sunday afternoon. Yeah, as you get older, it's just harder to summon your very best at the very end.
Speaker 2: It's interesting to be this year. This year's Masters had to hurt a lot.
Speaker 1: Yes, Yes, he played great though again with just the last six holes.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I'm not saying that's permanent. I mean, look at Phil, Phil did it at Kia. Incredible. It can be done. Uh, So that's not a bad pick. I mean I'm gonna say it be a very popular win.
Speaker 2: It would be it would be you know, it's this in Brokedale and uh, you know, another another trip around the sun, and and it's like you don't know, you don't know when it's when it's going to really go. But it feels like this is this is a great opportunity for him given the elements. I think there is like an aspect of Shinnakok that rewards words really high Q high IQ golf, and I think Justin Rose has played so much golf through the years, you think about you know, he's you know, I think like one thing that Gil told me candidly is you know, is like when the Olympics came around, Justin Rose was all over him about getting information about how to play the Olympic golf course at Rio. Like he is a someone who prepares, He's someone who understands the game of the highest level, understands himself maybe better than any player in the field. And I think this is a golf course that those types of traits rise to the top.
Speaker 1: So you want to Marion similar, similar, Testy.
Speaker 2: Hi may look forward to seeing you next week, look forward to reading your work at Golf Digest, and always a great pleasure to have you on this podcast.
Speaker 1: A pleasure to be with you. Andy, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: All right, Big thanks for listening to another edition of the Friday Golf Podcast. Big thanks to him for joining m PJ for managing to produce this episode while while the city is in absolute Knicks frenzy. Maybe maybe Nick, by the time you're listening to this, they are the NBA champions. We'll see what happens here in game five. We'll be back after the US Open to break everything down with Trevor Immulman. All right, we'll talk to you soon.