Speaker 1: My name is Clay Nukleman.
Speaker 2: This is a production of the bear Grease podcast called The Bear Grease Render, where we render down, dive deeper, and look behind the scenes of the actual bear Grease podcast, presented by f h F Gear, American made purpose built hunting and fishing gear that's designed to be as rugged as the place.
Speaker 1: As we explore. Welcome to the Bear Grease Render.
Speaker 2: I have We've got a great a great cast of characters here today to talk about one of the best bear grease podcasts in a long time. In my opinion, I don't want to I don't want to show my whole hand too quickly.
Speaker 3: So listen to this one and then forget the rest.
Speaker 1: Well, it's up to you. But so this is the Bear Grease Render.
Speaker 2: If you're new to the Bear Grease Render, this is where we gather a group.
Speaker 1: But we have six of us here today.
Speaker 2: Experts, six experts, and we talk about the bear great there's five of us here, six of us.
Speaker 4: There's six of us.
Speaker 2: There's six of us here, and we we talk about the actual documentary style bear Grease podcast. So, if you're new to bear Grease, this is what we're doing. I want to pitch an idea to you guys here, regulars on the Render. Let me introduce to my right, we're going backwards today. To my right, Gary Believer Nukelem, my father, good.
Speaker 3: To see you, Thank you here.
Speaker 1: I bet you liked this episode.
Speaker 3: I loved it.
Speaker 1: I knew you would too. To my dad's right, Josh Lamberge Spilmmaker, I'm just.
Speaker 3: Glad I'm back because this podcast has gone to pop.
Speaker 2: Josh, Josh had been on a render in a long time. It's going to come back to I'm going to tell you the different things we're going to talk about. Uh, we're gonna come back and talk to you about a buck. I'm not gonna spill the beans. But great to see you, Josh, Thank you. Beard's looking great, the land bridge is looking good. You're right, my lovely wife, Doctor Misty Newkelem. Great to see you.
Speaker 1: Doctor.
Speaker 4: This is the only place is the only place.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's like, what what use PhD? If you never use it?
Speaker 3: What's that exactly? Why if you're not going to get.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a long story. Job So Missy.
Speaker 2: Missy has some very insightful comments that she would like to give about women whoa that's a big.
Speaker 3: Great's probably in the room.
Speaker 2: To your right, Isaac Neil, Isaac, great to see you works for Bear Grease.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm sure my wife is very excited for me to receive this insightful and for me.
Speaker 1: Ever listened to what miss say. It's gonna be big.
Speaker 4: This is going to change our relationship expectations.
Speaker 3: It's good.
Speaker 1: It's that good.
Speaker 2: And to Isaac's right, the one and only Brent Reeves, Brent, good to see it really looking sharp today.
Speaker 6: Man, let me tell you, the only thing I know about women is they've been in my trouble since I figured out they wouldn't men.
Speaker 7: That's that's that's a whaling jens, A line from a whaling jen.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, get back in your chair. Sorry, Well you.
Speaker 1: Have You have some great women in your life, as do I.
Speaker 2: Of course, Brent is wearing a full cry that hat. When I saw I hadn't mentioned your hat yet. I really wish I had a hat like that. I would wear it. It's a it's an vintage foam hat home trucker hat with full cry. So Full Cry is a print coon hunting Hound Hunting magazine that has just been kind of revitalized by one of our friends out in Washington, Jason.
Speaker 1: And his wife Danny.
Speaker 3: Danny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and uh, Full Cry is an old school. I think it was started in the nineteen forties. Thirty nine, okay, nineteen thirty nine.
Speaker 1: Full Cry was started as a print magazine.
Speaker 4: They got a good shout out in the podcast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I love it. I'm a I'm an old Full Cry man.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: My picture was in Full Cry magazine in nineteen ninety four.
Speaker 4: How old were you?
Speaker 2: I was sixteen, Okay, and I was. I had just got Newcomb's Southern Wash itall Blue Thunder registered Bluetick and sending a picture to like the readers the reader's submissions. Yeah, and that I think you took the picture right out in front of our house of me with a little puppy.
Speaker 1: He's wearing my car heart hat, and U.
Speaker 5: Your outdoor career has been downhill ever since.
Speaker 8: Is more excited about those dog papers than he is. He feels the same way about those as I feel about when we get the kids social Security numbers.
Speaker 3: I can see that.
Speaker 2: So I just had to mention Brent's hat and just how sharp he looked. Here's here's what here's my pitch to you guys that I'm very very seriously considering, is uh, you know how the late show, the talk show hosts, you're gonna think of this as a joke, because it's not a joke. The late night talk show hosts have a live band that's just always there, just always waiting, start out with a song, a song, something funny happens, and you're like, go, I want a banjo player here all the time. No, it can't be Misty. It's got to be somebody with like not a whole lot of personality, but just kind of like.
Speaker 5: Just the personality comes out in the banjo, right.
Speaker 2: I mean that because their job is not really to talk, but I would kind of lean on them like Jimmy Fallon leans on his guy occasionally for input, like outside input.
Speaker 5: You're looking for a banjo playing quest love.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't need necessarily a contributor, but I would be like, imagine this podcast starts intros over and I go and I.
Speaker 1: Go hit it, JB.
Speaker 2: And then we start talking thanks man, and then I'm like like halfway through, after a good story, I'm like, JB hit a lick, like somebody tells a real boring story.
Speaker 1: It's like too long.
Speaker 8: I'll be honest a little bit like this is Clay's expectations for me, just in our normal everyday life. Not the banjo player, but just the like support, the the the hitted Missy. I mean this this introduction comment about the insightful feedback I've got for women.
Speaker 2: I don't know, man, well, I uh and and and it's got to you know. I like musicians that just come in and out of your life like a radio, like a radio doll.
Speaker 3: Are you advertising list? No position.
Speaker 2: It will be appointed like a like a like a dictator, appointing like a lead person to oversee something in his government.
Speaker 8: He doesn't realize he's much more in a dictator, you know, type of government I'll take.
Speaker 4: I'll take a benevolent dicta take.
Speaker 2: A benevolent dictator over a crooked politician any day.
Speaker 1: A crooked elected.
Speaker 4: Politicians going right into right into it. You're going right in height.
Speaker 2: I've been energized, Yeah, yeah, I've been energized by by the story and life of Barry Tarleton.
Speaker 1: He so good.
Speaker 2: We're gonna talk about that, Brent. So just a little follow up. Ken's reward if you remember, on last episode of Bear Grease, Brent told a story about getting an American quarter horse named Ken's Reward, and we put out an APB to the world about getting this information. Many people have responded about that, and in Ken's Reward was an actual horse. Yep, he was born, and we had multiple people send us the papers, so it was really.
Speaker 4: Give a little context actual people who didn't listen.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, so Brent has a podcast called This Country Life, and that's another complicated part of being in the Bear Grease world. This is like a normal podcast where you just like turn it on and it's like two or three guys just like yipping all the time.
Speaker 1: No, you gotta have your brain on.
Speaker 2: See, there's the Bear Grease documentary style podcast, the Bear Grease Render and This Country Life. This Country Life comes out every Friday. That's Brent's podcast. It's usually like twenty two and a half minutes long, and it's a great, excellent, very well written, beautiful look into rural America.
Speaker 4: Very good.
Speaker 2: So Brent told a story about a quarter horse wild entertaining. Brent told the story on his podcast about his dad in the nineteen eighties buying him a quarter horse at a great deal, and that in Ada, Oklahoma, I roughte it home and the horse was a bronc. It bucked him off four times. And then the saga of the horse is pretty wild, and the horse gets sold very quickly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how long was that period of time? We didn't use up a sack of feed before he left.
Speaker 2: And so I wanted to know the story of Ken's reward, like where that happen?
Speaker 5: Where did the progeny?
Speaker 3: Who?
Speaker 1: Who is Ken? I mean that's a if you're a normal human and you hear that story, the first question you're asking is who's Ken?
Speaker 3: And how? Yeah? Yeah, and.
Speaker 2: Again, I mean it slipped through his It slipped through his hands like water.
Speaker 5: I think they have been. It may have been a sort of tongue in cheek name. He may have been a dirt bag.
Speaker 1: Well that's what we want to know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so so we've had many people that have sent us, Like I was looking at the registration papers for the American quarter horse Kin's reward. You can track it back generations. The horse was born on April first, nineteen seventy nine. Interestingly, the year of.
Speaker 3: My birth, Well, oh, I was thirteen, you.
Speaker 2: Were thirteen and the horse died on January first, New Year's Day, two thousand and four, at almost the age of twenty five.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: So and Brentwood had it that part.
Speaker 3: I hadn't. I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the horse.
Speaker 2: Died in two thousand and four, So when do you think you had it?
Speaker 3: It would have been nineteen eighty eight.
Speaker 2: So the horse who had been seven or eight years old, just long enough to let the world know that it's a bronc.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, up until they are about five. You're kind of giving them a chance.
Speaker 6: They were dissatisfied. They were dissatisfied with his bucket ability. I thought it was excellent.
Speaker 1: So anyway, but the.
Speaker 2: APB that went to the world was that if I could talk to Ken or Ken's family and we could understand why the horse was named Ken's Reward, that I would give him a genuine plot tree the Ozark coonskinhat, and Brent would give him a case nine. We've had many generous donations to the Information Ben, but nobody has yet to bring us real answers that we're looking for.
Speaker 1: So anyway, it's still out there.
Speaker 4: We still don't know who I mean, because clearly this.
Speaker 1: Is we don't know who King is.
Speaker 4: Even though the horse is gone, n might be still around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we hope, we hope, we hope Ken's around. We're rooting for you, Ken.
Speaker 4: Wherever you are.
Speaker 3: I mean, one of those coonskin hats, we know they're valued about twenty fives.
Speaker 2: Josh, Josh Spillmaker made those for me. Josh takes a coon and a half to make one of those.
Speaker 5: You handstitch them part of it.
Speaker 1: Josh is a gifted craftsman.
Speaker 3: What do you call a hat maker.
Speaker 5: A furrier hatter?
Speaker 3: Well, a hatter is the hatter is the term for a someone who makes men's hats, Okay, and a milliner is someone who makes women's hats.
Speaker 1: Josh, are you interested in people buying hats from you?
Speaker 3: Not at the moment, will you.
Speaker 5: I have a job that he's interested in fishing.
Speaker 4: In a few short months he'll be interested.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Josh, he makes felt, felt cowboy hats. But he also he made all these coonskin hats for me.
Speaker 3: And so I've had a few people reach out to me on Instagram and I apologize for you know, we've gone back and forth, but I just.
Speaker 1: It's just not right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not available.
Speaker 1: Maybe one day.
Speaker 5: You know, there's a special sewing machine with a hooked needle just for stitching fur on material.
Speaker 1: Oh really, it's crazy. Hmm. Maybe Josh could get that. Josh he killed. Josh killed a big buck this week.
Speaker 3: I think we're using that term loosely.
Speaker 4: I'd call it a week.
Speaker 3: But I have to say I have a very generous friend named Brian who's let me come out and hunt on his property. I'm a little jealous, and yeah, you should be. He's a great guy. But I went out and killed a dough. I haven't hunted in about ten years, right, I've dedicated my life to fishing. But I really wanted to kill a deer this year. And I got a new rifle, a weather Be rifle with a bor Tex scope shout out to weather Being Vortex, and I really wanted to kill a deer this year. So I went out and a couple of weeks ago and killed a doe just to put some meat in the freezer. And Brian said, man, you got to get back out here and kill a buck. So I went out last weekend and sat in the stand for several hours, saw a beautiful, thick coated coyote, I was going to take a shot out, but he's just moving too fast. Saw a couple of spikes, saw a couple of does. Felt like I had a great morning. I figured my morning was over. It was getting close to ten o'clock and out walks this beautiful, big bodied nine point buck. And it was kind of like you know when you're walking through a haunted house and somebody like jumps out at you. I felt like that was my reaction when I saw this buck. It was almost like I had seen a ghost and I just was like, oh my gosh, there's a buck. And I grabbed that rifle and just drew a beat on All I could do is I was looking the opposite direction because I thought a buck would come from the other way, And when I turned over, he was just stepping out into this food plot, and man, I just grabbed that rifle and drew a beat on him. And I didn't even count points. I was like, it's got antlers and pulled the trigger and he just dropped like a sack of potatos. Yeah, and I was I felt very privileged to be able to harvest a great deer like that, great a great set of antlers, but not just that, but a nice big body deer that pack him a freezer. I'm actually going to process him tonight after this recording of this.
Speaker 2: I think it's I think it's probably a good three and a half year old Ozark Mountain.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for for where we live, it's a big.
Speaker 1: Buck yeah, big body deer.
Speaker 5: If you ever get into many ature bear greases, like not a full blown one, but like a little one.
Speaker 1: Like a like an actual media.
Speaker 5: Product, no, like yeah, just like a short one. Okay, gotcha, this isn't a full episode, but I'd be interested in knowing about all this from points scoring, like because when I was growing up, it was just like I shot a ten point yeah, and now everyone's like I shot it one for it, you know, and it's.
Speaker 2: Just more complex math. It's just like a progression of human life. You start out like, what's a number. That's a one, that's a two, that's a three, and then it goes to like find that math.
Speaker 5: I didn't get past three.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's good. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. My life would be easier if it was just points. Yeah, Like if I could just be like, Dad, I killed an eight point and you'd be like, oh really good.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now I gotta be like Dad, I killed one hundred and five inch eight point.
Speaker 3: Again.
Speaker 1: UHL. Graduations, Well, thank you.
Speaker 3: I'm excited to be able to hang spailers.
Speaker 1: That's excellent. That's excellent.
Speaker 3: Say well, I'm just going to do your zuro freedom.
Speaker 2: So let's I want to oh, Long Hunters, Long Hunters, man, what were you going to say?
Speaker 3: Isaac?
Speaker 1: Steve Ranella and I.
Speaker 2: Did a a An audio original is what we're calling that audio original.
Speaker 5: It's kind of like an audio book better.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like a book, but original better, read better. It is different than a book, though I don't it's hard to put your finger on it. But it's not a book. It's an audio original.
Speaker 4: I think it's in the making a book.
Speaker 2: It had a script, yeah yeah, yeah, and we and we in the script was man. It is so I really can't wait for the world to hear it. I think it's a unique audio product that is going to give information.
Speaker 1: And it's called Long Hunters.
Speaker 2: Seventeen sixty one to seventeen seventy five and basically there was a period of time for fourteen years that was halted. It ended at the American Revolution and it started were around seventeen sixty one, where the European long hunters were trespassing into Indian and French and Spanish territory to contribute and to try to make a fortune in the deer hide trade, which they were sending deer hides back to Europe. Fascinating, I mean, like blow your mind kind of fascinating. And we didn't just follow along the standard tropes of what you might think about long hunters. I think the team did a great job of really showing the motivations of these guys and how destitute many of them were. I mean, these guys were essentially poachers in a lot of way, going in places they should be and it wasn't because they were pumped about. They weren't sport hunting. They were just like trying to survive. Yeah, and they were that destitute.
Speaker 1: So it's it's it. You can pre order it now, I've got a link. You can just.
Speaker 5: Look it up in the description.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but but it comes out on January the ninth.
Speaker 5: And two thoughts. One serious when I hear you and Steve advertising this on the podcast that I don't know why, but I've just got did you ever listen to roy D mercer. Yeah, all I can hear is how long a hunter are?
Speaker 1: And so I'm serious one of the funny one that's the series.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 5: All I can say is I feel like it's a missed opportunity to advertise the book, to not get him on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think he died.
Speaker 5: Wow, missed opportunity.
Speaker 3: Like I said, he could be riding's reward.
Speaker 5: The seri pious question is did I did I understand right that this is the first in the meat Eater American history series. I feel like they said something about that.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's exciting.
Speaker 1: It's if this goes well.
Speaker 2: And that's why we're like petitioning our people. You are people to it'd be great if you supported this, if you feel like it's a contribution to society.
Speaker 5: You have full control over whether or not this. I mean, it's just true.
Speaker 2: That's the way media works, especially with these big publishers, is if it does well, we'll do more, and we we have plans, like running plans to do to do some more that are really cool topics that I'm very interested in. So yeah, long Hunters, man, It's gonna be good and it What what I take away from it is is the foundations of American deer hunting, which white tailed deer hunting is the most popular big game hunt hunt in general, not just big game, the most popular hunting in America. There's white tailed deer hunting. There's more white tail deer hunters. Most of us grew up white tail deer and this is the foundations of why we love it. Really, the cultural foundations was these guys.
Speaker 1: So that's it that I was going to ask you.
Speaker 3: A question, Go right ahead, brother, Well, I guess I.
Speaker 2: Need to ask Missy a question. First, Misty was not you were not on the last render, and but you listened to the plot genesis story. Yes, so that's that was This is a two part series. That's all it's gonna be. Yeah, there could be there could be a lot more, and there might be more in the future. But the first plot episode was about the plot genesis story.
Speaker 1: What did you think mass Well.
Speaker 8: So I actually talked to Clay about this after you had already done the render, but I had not had a chance to listen.
Speaker 4: To the to the whole podcast yet, And.
Speaker 8: As we were talking to it, one of the things that Clay said is there was this controversy, you know about how the plots did they come over on the ship because they weren't listed on the cargo.
Speaker 4: Cargo manifest? Or you know, did they get dogs here?
Speaker 8: And and as he was telling me, he said, one of two things could happen. And he tells me One, you know, they could have uh, you know, been on the ship and not been on the manifest.
Speaker 9: Or two.
Speaker 8: And I was like, wait, there's a third, because I thought he was going to say, or two the dogs were on the manifest, but are were on the ship but we're hidden, like they snuck them on there.
Speaker 4: And I told them if Tim.
Speaker 8: The squirrel dog, if I was going from Germany or from if I was traveling across the Atlantic, and they told me I couldn't bring my squirrel dogm.
Speaker 4: Would be on that ship.
Speaker 1: She was like, she was like, those dogs were on that ship.
Speaker 5: I'm imagining I'm now imagining five plots in a trench coat, George.
Speaker 2: Dogs And she's like, no, that's I'm sorry.
Speaker 8: We have plotthounds, and we have you know, the squirrel dogs and the squirrel dogs.
Speaker 4: Tim. He knows when to be quiet.
Speaker 8: Yeah, the plotthounds are not as gifted at that. Jedi are retired, are retired plotthound. He he loves the sound of his own voice.
Speaker 3: What exactly did he retire from?
Speaker 2: That's what I well, it's a very actually a very accurate term for him.
Speaker 1: I can explain more, but yeah, yeah, so.
Speaker 4: The Jed loves the sound of his own voice and.
Speaker 1: Had a hard time being whatever they have been.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's the only that's the only flaw in my logic is Jedi at Night in particularly loves to just make melodic house that are disconnected from anything happening.
Speaker 2: Just yeah, yeah, yeah, No, jedis retired because his business partner is dead.
Speaker 8: He wasn't a great hunter, yeah, just anion he was.
Speaker 3: He was Fern's hype girl.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah he was.
Speaker 1: Exactly.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 2: I just I wanted to hear. I wanted to hear what you thought about that. You know, I didn't We didn't do this last time, but I want to do it. There's a lot of plot people that will be listening to this. I want to go around the room and tell me if you think the dogs were on the ship. Let me just like simple answer, were they on the ship or did did George plot developed the plot hounds train from dogs that were here because that's that's the question. Did they come from German, did the stock come from Germany? Or and where their dogs on that ship? And you'd have to go back to listen to I mean, we talked for an hour extensively about this idea, and really the episode was about oral tradition versus written record words, and I have a strong stance on it. It's like the written records of the seventeen fifties. Wait, are you going to tip your hand before we all? No, No, I'm just gonna paint the picture. Written records from the seventeen fifties that we have today undoubtedly would be a dim record of reality. That's just a pill that everybody's gonna have to swallow. Point number two, there are no records, written records that we can put our hands on today of dogs coming from Germany. So it's like it's just that simple. But dad Gary Nukolm, what do you think were those dogs?
Speaker 3: Show? You know?
Speaker 10: I went into some detail which obviously no one listens to their old man.
Speaker 9: It's not absolutely they were on that ship.
Speaker 10: And the reason I say that, and I went into detail saying that this was you're the only one.
Speaker 9: So I gave it to that an illiterate family.
Speaker 10: These people were intelligent people, could communicate very well, and they told the story and passed it down. And if you just I've forgotten some of their names, but you know, George, George, Henry, Yeah, George Henry, Henry lived in the house in eighteen o three. And then you get by, you get up to Vine in the sixties. It wasn't that big of a deal for George to tell Henry and Henry tell Monty or you know. It just it wasn't that big of a deal, and there was no reason to lie about it. You're not bragging about bringing dogs over. You just go, well, well, uncle George brought those dogs over on the ship. I go with that absolutely unequickly. Okay they were on the ship.
Speaker 1: Okay, believer, We got one believer, Josh.
Speaker 3: My great grandfather, John Leon Artists, immigrated from Greece in nineteen fifteen, came through Ellis Island. I have been to Ellis Island and I have searched the records on the ship for the ship's manifest and cannot find his name. I know he immigrated from Greece. I know he came over on a ship I'm one hundred percent they brought the dogs over. I have to believe they brought the dogs over.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: My grandfather told me repelling of him coming over here and him being sent.
Speaker 2: To do I would like to command the land bridge for it was a good, compelling, concise, definitive answer.
Speaker 3: That was good. Brought the dogs over. They might not be on the manifest, big big deal. When was this?
Speaker 1: When what I mean in the seventeen.
Speaker 3: Two hundred and fifty years ago?
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, I like it.
Speaker 3: I like it.
Speaker 2: We got we got two believers of six Misty on the ship. You're like, they smuggled those dogs over.
Speaker 8: Well, even if they didn't smuggle them over, I think that it would. You know, these were people coming from from Europe to to the US, and I just think that maybe they valued the dogs. If they're saying they value the dogs, they valued the dogs. But maybe the people on the ship didn't value the dogs and write it down. I think there's tons of reasons why they wouldn't be on a manifest. Yeah, And I mean like they probably also didn't say if they had mirrors or hair brushes or things like that. I mean, whoever's on the ship is going to assign value to what gets recorded.
Speaker 1: J's plot brought two hair brushes. They had one.
Speaker 3: Mirror cryogenically frozen and put in a carry on and reanimated when they got to the States. Nobody would have ever known.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, okay, now, okay, Isaac, you can't be you can't be influenced by what's been said.
Speaker 5: I already had my answer. What do you think were they on the ship? They were on the ship for two reasons, Okay. One, Like Gary said, there's no there's no advantage to them lying at the time that they were passing the story along. It's not like they were like snake oil salesman ring around the country trying to sell them, and.
Speaker 1: They weren't trying to start a breathe.
Speaker 4: People.
Speaker 5: People were buying them, but it was because they were great dogs. There was no story necessary for that. Number Two, it's a great story and there's just absolutely no downside to believing it.
Speaker 9: I could get at all.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like that's a way better story.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just like I am, in general a fun guy, so I believe it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I was not the daddy Daddy senior in Germany. He had a little wealth, didn't he.
Speaker 2: Well he the story, the oral tradition is that he worked for a wealthy guy. So he would essentially be the estate manager of somebody that had some big chunk of ground in Germany. That's and that was a common position, and that guy would have been in charge of dogs, and would have been in charge of hunts and the grounds, and so.
Speaker 10: That's if you couldn't bring dogs with you the owner of all that game that they were, you know, it would have been real easy to influence people. Hey, let the boy bring the dogs on the ship. If that was a problem, which it probably was not a problem.
Speaker 2: I mean, it wasn't a big deal for dogs to come over from England. I mean they did all the time. I mean, I'm kind of shocked.
Speaker 1: We've got four so far of six that are believers.
Speaker 3: Brent one. They were not on that ship.
Speaker 6: Now only if they started out with five hundred, maybe five survived. But he got a brother that dies, there's so how much food they're gonna put on that ship.
Speaker 3: They got to feed them dogs. If his brothers died because he was starving or whatever. The issue was. Them folks, they would eat them dogs before they ever got there.
Speaker 1: We didn't die because he was starving. We don't know why he died.
Speaker 3: You don't know why not everybody died. But what I'm saying is, Kirby, if you die on the ship, it's usually because it's it's.
Speaker 1: Got to be scirvy.
Speaker 6: They could have made him walk the plank. Nobody knows. What I'm saying is them dogs wasn't on this ship.
Speaker 1: Okay. So from the evidence that you you heard in the.
Speaker 6: There's no evidence that they were on the ship. That's the deal, right, So, and I just don't I don't think it was. I mean, it wasn't like going on a cruise is now it was easy, Okay.
Speaker 2: I don't mean to throw possum in the hen house, as we say, But this is coming from a staunch, long time generational Walker man. It would be to his benefit to tarnish the reputation, the story, the history, the legacy of the plot hound.
Speaker 1: It would be it would be to his advantage for people to be there. Those plot hounds don't mean anything to me.
Speaker 2: You know what, I'm getting a walker. I'm going to join the rest of America.
Speaker 3: I don't get a walk.
Speaker 6: I wish they all had plots I wish everybody had them, and that's not That is not a stance or a platform that I'm willing to accept. The stand on't know, it takes nothing away from how special that story is, because there's two stories. There's a story they brought them over in the story that they didn't. So but I just believe it doesn't discount it. One doesn't bring any discredit to what that family has done, what.
Speaker 1: That And I think I think that's the reason that we can.
Speaker 3: I like it. I like it better. No, I ain't through yet, Josh, you.
Speaker 9: Move on.
Speaker 3: I like this story better having dogs from America doing.
Speaker 1: It America.
Speaker 9: Agenda. You have an agenda you're working on.
Speaker 3: That's a US A baby quote. Bailey react, exactly right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what's your stance?
Speaker 2: Clay Well, I find myself in a precarious situation here. I got an email from a dear friend of mine a few days ago, renowned historian. I don't think he would mind me bringing up his name. Doctor Brooks Blevins is a hero of the Burgers podcast.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 2: He is a prolific writer, academic historian based out of.
Speaker 5: Springfield, Missouri, State Queen the Queen City.
Speaker 2: Yeah so, Brooks is This is the way I describe Brooks as expert as anybody could be at their field. He is the expert of the ozarks. I mean like you could take a rocket scientist from wherever and and and analyze their knowledge of their field, and it would in anybody in the world.
Speaker 1: It wouldn't be.
Speaker 3: Brooks.
Speaker 2: Blevins would be equivalent in his knowledge of the ozarks. He's bone of He is bonafide that is not relevant to this, but he is an academic and is a researcher. He wrote me an email and he said, Clay really enjoyed the plotound episode. He said, I never thought I would hear Palatina the Palatina of Palatinate of Germany mentioned it's a region of Germany. Yeah, I'm pronounced wrong, and he said. He said, but I've been around these narratives enough to know that when you go down the trail, some of these romantic stories usually aren't true. And he said, I I don't think the dogs, he doesn't think the dogs are on the ship.
Speaker 6: I here, right here is where a field needs to put in the what's that law and order?
Speaker 4: If I had the banjo guy and be like hit it.
Speaker 9: Many.
Speaker 2: He was actually on my list, but Myron means has too much to contribute. Yeah, it would be hard to ignore Myron. I want a banjo player I can ignore.
Speaker 9: So check this out.
Speaker 5: If you were around me for more than twenty four hours.
Speaker 1: I like how we just changed the subject really quickly.
Speaker 3: Keep it.
Speaker 5: Quote one of three authors, Jose Ortega, You got said, the most prolific Spanish language philosopher of the twentieth century. He wrote Meditations on Hunting. Yes, foundational.
Speaker 1: You talk about him NonStop, NonStop.
Speaker 9: I asked Clay twice.
Speaker 5: I asked Clay twice in an eighteen hour period if you'd read Meditations on Hunting. It just cycles through my brain. Wendleberry prolific theologian, poet, Yes, outdoor thinker insane Brooks Blevins.
Speaker 1: Yes, those are the three guys we talk about.
Speaker 3: Are you saying your change lens changing your side here? I'm saying because somebody said Brooks, I.
Speaker 5: Hold him in the utmost esteem and he is dead wrong.
Speaker 3: Just me and my fellow sophisticate mm hmm.
Speaker 5: It pains me to not be on the same team as Brent Reeves.
Speaker 3: And you still didn't say what you think well.
Speaker 4: I don't think he wants to say what you think.
Speaker 3: That's fair.
Speaker 5: He's the moderator.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I'm a I am not on the outside of this like all y'all are. I'm on the inside. And then the family in the family. In the family, we keep things in the family.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Clay will basically not sell a dog plot hound like my whole life. He'll be like, man, that dog is worth so much, but we'll never get a penny for it, because he only gives them away to select people who he believes can can pull the best out of.
Speaker 2: The I'm a I'm a deep first generation plot man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, that's how it gets started.
Speaker 3: One day they'll talk about the Newcomb Farm plot hounds. No they won't.
Speaker 4: The retired one is the.
Speaker 2: So this this, this episode just just reeks, reeks of so many ver greasy things that that I'm interested in. And it was I told Mistery told several people these stories. It might seem easy. This story was hard to tell in a way because it was so it really was a personal story, a family story. And by easy, I don't mean like like gathering the content was. I mean, yeah, there was challenges to that at different times. But just like handling someone's family story is more significant to me than like the outcome of like did it do good or or would people like it? My first concern is always the people that are opening themselves up. And this is a story that's not been told like nobody regionally, Barry Charlton is known, and in the plot world, Barry Tarleton is known, but you know, there's not books about about him, or he's not a folk hero on a national level. And that's that's what I love about a story like this, and and and it's so to me cool to know that there are stories like this that are untold.
Speaker 1: And but Dad, general impressions.
Speaker 2: Of the Barry Tarlton story, what was your favorite part? What what did you think about it?
Speaker 10: Well, I can relate to being lazy. The guy offended me, I'm telling you. When Tracy said that, I mean, come on, hey, it was awesome. It was just really unbelievable to me, the the way that it was woven together. And you know, you had dogs, you had people, you had I loved the movie Walking Tall. You remember that the beef stickd Pusser. Yeah, he cleaned up the county and Tennessee I just that sounds like the same guy to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 9: And then the old.
Speaker 10: Movie in the song White Lightning years ago, Man, that was just my favorite. Robert Mitcham running Moonshine and hit that electrical deal and blue you know.
Speaker 3: Uh so the.
Speaker 10: Intrigue of the outlaws, the shootouts, the boys hitting the ditch, you know, fred are gonna get shot. Uh I enjoyed that more than the dogs. But the dog part was really awesome too.
Speaker 2: I just I thought, well, I thought Tracy did a phenomenal job, and of anybody on planet Earth, he would be as qualified as anyone to talk about this when he said, like, yeah, you're you and me are kind of intrigued by the by the pizzaz of you know.
Speaker 9: Tommy gunn bailing out on the other side.
Speaker 10: I mean, I'm thinking Bonnie and Clyde they couldn't get out of the car in time. This guy, he got out in time. He shut down some boys with Tommy guns.
Speaker 9: Yeah shotgun.
Speaker 2: Well okay, and so you know, it's fun to talk about that. But if it was me who had been out on the street today and had been shot at and had returned fire and came home and told my wife that like literally could have been killed. I mean, it's a different story when it's real. And to me, that's what And I'd never met Barry Charlton. I know Tracy, I know Ben, I know a lot of people that were around him. I watched an extensive interview that you know, that interview. I picked five like thirty second clips that Barry Charleton interview. There's a full interview with him. Is you realize in like Tracy said, like it was a terrible thing, It wasn't. He wasn't doing it for fame. He wasn't doing it because so they make a TV show about him that it wasn't like Moonshiner's you know on Channel twelve Barry Tarleton and Barry's like twirling his pistol and shooting people. He literally his brothers were murdered and he was angry at them. I mean, and so there was not a Hollywood shine on it. I mean, this is a man that came from such poverty that they were fattening possums to eat it. And he is in the midst of really the American dream of financial financial increase over time at a time when America was kind of blossoming, and here he is, and he's on this kind of upward trajectory from abject poverty to having a good job and having a car and being able to provide for his family. But then there's this thing that's in his community that's killing people, and he's like, no, this is getting in the way of this life that I want for my children from my family. And it was ugly, you know, and I think Tracy did a good job of de romanticizing it, you know, just saying, oh, the moonshine was terrible.
Speaker 1: You know, it really wrecked a lot of people. But that's what was.
Speaker 10: So in truth, he was, to me a real hero. And so many of y'all, not me, have this little hero guy and girl inside you that never really has an opportunity to come forth. Sergeant York just an old farmer War War One, and then who's the guy in World War Two?
Speaker 3: Audie Murphy.
Speaker 10: I mean, these guys they were just they were just little little guys, but when they were put under pressure, they were tremendous heroes. And he was a tremendous hero. I mean he went into his community and said, Hey, I'm gonna clean this mess up. Yeah, and he could have been killed. And then he loved bear hunting, I.
Speaker 9: Mean to the point where he was wild eyed.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Yeah, So I just thought he was an awesome, awesome guy, and I put him right up there with the heroes of our country.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Can you imagine working a shift at the milk plant with that guy? What did you do last night?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 5: I caught the radio program What About You Well, and he wouldn't have been braggadocious about it, I imagine, just totally deadpan. Got shot up by some Tommy guns and I shot one of them with a shotgun. After that, I went bear hunting.
Speaker 3: I bet nobody messed with his lunch.
Speaker 11: And hey, before you go too far, I want to hear what missed he says about women.
Speaker 9: I tell you, I've got some strong thoughts about Hazel.
Speaker 10: I'm just yeah, me too, really, I think I have.
Speaker 8: I think, yeah, you know, well, yeah, Clay was just saying that he was he was. I think he was a little concerned at how people might take that part of the story. And we were I had just listened to it and we were just eating.
Speaker 2: So there's a part on the podcast where where Tracy describes the routine of his grandfather, which was.
Speaker 1: So good, like it was, I mean, I like it.
Speaker 2: I commend people for paying attention to stuff and being able to like, could I describe the routine of lew and Nukem my grandfather? I mean no, I mean I have some ideas of the way he lived his life, but anyway, I just I thought it was really neat the way he just had all that laid out and described. But it's certainly and tracy Tracy he said it. He said, you might hear that story and think that this is this poor little woman being run over by some and and I mean he was just like.
Speaker 3: She's the hero in the story. In my opinion. Let me tell you, my grandmother and great grandmother were like that. And it was their schedule, not my grandfather or my great grandfather's schedule. It was their schedule. They were doing that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if you want warm food, you better be here.
Speaker 3: The story of the that.
Speaker 1: Way, Well, tell me what you said.
Speaker 8: Yes, So Clay was just saying that he was concerned. I was like, Man, if people hear that in any way, they that that kind of set up is actually and if you really if you look historically at and people could argue with this, and and and people will and I don't really care, but that type of marriage actually does have quite a bit of of equality inside of it.
Speaker 4: There they have different roles.
Speaker 8: They're not thinking about they're not thinking about he's working a shift, he's coming home work on a job. She's managing the homestead. Her what she is doing is not paid, is not compensated work, but it is tremendously valuable.
Speaker 3: To the home.
Speaker 8: And if you look at Appalachian history, you see that, you hear that inside of of the stories that they tell about the women who who built these homesteads. Number One, they're tough, they can work pretty hard. What they're doing is actually to keep those homes running. And if you look at like Hunter gather societies, and there's imperfections, and there's big issues like the way women have been treated for eons or generations. There's big issues, but there is inside of a high functioning home a level of egalitarian relationships that exist. And that's just her role. They're just surviving. That is just like she's going to take care of the home stuff. He's going to go out to the factory and work. They're gonna bring he's gonna go get meat from from elsewhere. It's not it's not to say say it's not to say it's only like since agriculture and society shifted towards them more, it was in the like agrarian cultures that things, certain things became more valuable than.
Speaker 2: What you said was that in the in going way back, the hunter gatherers societies, Yeah, the women often had more rights or more rights than.
Speaker 1: Even women would today. Am I am I hearing you say that?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 8: Well, I didn't say that. I said in hunter gathered societies, it was there was more equality inside of inside of the structure to the well, I mean they could Yeah, I wouldn't say it in the terms of rights, but there was more equality inside of the structure of the home because each played a part and those parts were very valuable. Yeah, and so those were the relationship was actually a very mutually beneficial and as as we became more agrarian, that's where that started to shift.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And one thing that I said as I was trying to again I'm wanting to tell the story accurately and not wanting because you're just getting such a little snippets. I mean, we did a whole hour and four minutes on this guy. And it's like, we didn't get the whole story, you know, I mean we got parts of it. But the opening scene of the podcast, which I loved, was me evesdropping on a phone call between Tracy, his aunt and Tracy's mother. And in the story of the car getting blown up, what was Barry Tarleton doing when the car got blown up?
Speaker 4: Heating up a bottle?
Speaker 1: He was heating up a baby bottle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it's like getting ready for work to right, He's getting ready for work. And and and she told him he was going to go scold the dogs because the dogs were going crazy, his bear dogs. And she said, don't worry about those dogs. Heat up that youngin's bottle. I mean she you know, I mean, you kind of get these little peaks. She wasn't some lady that got all beat up. She loved him and they and they really did. And then and then I wanted to include the story of him talking about meeting her. I mean, this is an eighty four year old man. They've been married for sixty three years. There's a lot of outcomes of a marriage that long. If you said, how'd you meet your wife? I mean I don't know. Barry told it passionately, like I just could tell he liked that story.
Speaker 5: That's what I was going to say. A marriage of sixty three years with a setup like that does not last without mutual respect and adoration and all those things. It's not one that is built on domination, you know.
Speaker 10: I you know, this day and time, people don't believe the way I believe. But that is an important part of our society. I mean, I'm bigger and stronger than Hazel. I can go out and haul logs. I can bring money in. Your job is really more important. You raise the kids. I mean, she's got her imprint on little kids. Every day she's taken care of them. She's I mean, it's a bigger job. The job of the man back then was probably easier. It's it's if this offends you, you need to do a little research, You need to do a little thinking. Because this was a beautiful relationship. She loved doing it. He needed it done for him so he could put all his energy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they were a team.
Speaker 9: Into into the Pitts milk plant yep, you know an hour home.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he needed a copilot to drive the boonshine back.
Speaker 10: To me, the women are the big heroes of the world period, and uh just because they and they love taking care of a husband, children. There's nothing that's no honorable. It's no honorable. Now our world has changed. It started changing in the fifties where women went to war work. Now then all of a sudden, you know, we we're sharing these duties. And a lot of times the women are more gifted than the men, and they can move up and bring more money home like Misty does over.
Speaker 1: And that's what you do now, you stay home.
Speaker 3: Playing gold.
Speaker 8: Also, I think the system, the economic systems have changed a lot as well. I mean the like if you think about what was required to put food on the table at that time. I mean, if we're gonna like grind wheat, we to put food on the table and and have sour dough and smoke. If they're going to kill a bear that you smoke so that the kids can eat in the wintertime, that's a lot of work that you can't do that has to be done during daylight hours because you also don't even have running water. And I mean they were talking about not having a toilet in the house, so that stuff has.
Speaker 4: To be done.
Speaker 1: That was that you're mixing your podcast.
Speaker 5: That's one big story, Hazel.
Speaker 1: Hazel and and Barry. We're a little further in time.
Speaker 4: Okay, but but still I'm just saying, like he's got.
Speaker 2: John Plot wouldn't go to the bathroom at the house, that's right, which actually is very reasonable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you imagine caves in your house. He's like, hey, I need to go, and he's like going to go in the house.
Speaker 4: It's true. Yeah, I thought of it like that till the podcast.
Speaker 8: But from my point of being like, it's it's an economic I mean, there's there's a massive economic contribution that she's making.
Speaker 4: To the house by having all that stuff done.
Speaker 8: I think that people don't realize with convenience food, with the way that we live now, some of those things have are are removed.
Speaker 4: But and there were.
Speaker 8: Societal constraints on on on women. Sure, but I just think that in a house like that, where every it is a team, we're not looking at who's got thought Tracy.
Speaker 2: It was cool when you're talking to Tracy there's always this little side just side philosophies or is that he talked about. I mean, like him saying that she only she only went to town once a week and wouldn't go out with other makeup. And he said, you know today country means you dressed down. He said, back in the day, the mountain people I was around, they dressed up to go out like they were interested in putting on their best yeh.
Speaker 1: And then to move it a little further along. He he we.
Speaker 2: Actually talked and had this like big section about kind of like modern economics around land, and I had to condense it.
Speaker 9: Like way down.
Speaker 4: I was super interesting.
Speaker 2: Because he said, he said, Barry's mom and dad were would have been like a dirt poor people who well, let me, let me, let's move it to Barry. Barry worked for twenty five cents an hour at a milk plant and was able to buy a relatively sizable farm. Yeah, by the time Tracy's father, who we didn't bring up on the podcast, but you know, Barry's son was Tracy's father, he had to work a job in town to and run a farm. By the time Tracy, now basically the farm is not producing money. You got to have a job to even have a farm.
Speaker 1: And then his son.
Speaker 2: Will struggle with the wages. You either have to inherit a farm or with the wages that are paid to the average person. And I mean, I think this is not just East Tennessee, to be much of the world. You're not gonna just work a normal job as a plumber or as a even a heck, even an insurance agent or whatever and be able to probably go buy a big farm without some kind of external help. And anyway, what happened in Europe is happening here, and it's just the economics of a civilize like we came into the The settlement of America is so unique to the world. I mean in recorded history, there has never been a big spot on a map that was just settled this quickly. And obviously there's there's a lot of problems with you know, I mean, this place was a grand civilization of the Native American tribes with Europeans got here and they were like wilderness, and the Native Americans were like nor civilization we've been, so you know, there's all that, But but the expansion of America, it's like the people that were most destitute, like the long hunters, they were the ones going to the edge of the frontier. And and all those people that were settling in East Tennessee on that rough mountain land.
Speaker 1: There were poor people. People didn't want that land. And now the.
Speaker 2: Economics of the country has grown so much. Land is so valuable. There's so many people wanting to come here. That rough land that is not valuable for agriculture is now worth a ton of money. Anyway, it's just it's it's what happened in Europe, it's happening here, my grandma. Is nothing that we can do about it. It's not like bad or good. It's just the way it is.
Speaker 6: My grandmother told me that her grandpa when in that area where I'm from down there, he said, a gallon of whiskey and an acre of land costs a dollar each. And if her father, her grandfather, has spent all the money he spent on whiskey on land, the millionaires, they would have named that county after us.
Speaker 3: We'd own it all.
Speaker 6: So I mean that was I you think about that. Yeah, an acre of land that's put timber on it a dollar?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 10: So every generation, Hey, pull your mic now, every generation has those stories. And there's stuff at there today that will be told fifty years That old Gary Nukele he had just if he had just.
Speaker 3: Done this saved ten thousand dollars an acre for that land.
Speaker 12: Yeah, that's a great that's a great point because one day we will, should the earth persist, which I'm not sure that it will.
Speaker 2: Uh we they'll talk about us like we're talking about Barry Charlton. Sure, And I mean I've got stories about dad when we first kids. You know, you could have bought one hundred and eighty acres for five hundred dollars an acre in western Arkansas and the primary and I mean like ninety thousand dollars, we could have had one hundred and eighty acres, which today that land is worth who knows what I mean.
Speaker 1: And it's like, oh, got it if we'd have just bought it.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, there's always this this economic thing going on, and at the time it's always expensive. Like at the time that was too much money for Gary Nukeom. Now it's like shoot man, ninety grand for one hundred and eighty prime acres.
Speaker 1: Like, we'll figure out a way.
Speaker 4: To do that.
Speaker 10: It doesn't necessarily in the future when they look back, it probably will be land, but it could be something totally different. You know, we all talk about being from Arkansas, we'd a bought Walmart stock you know, Dillard stock Co. You know, you know who knows what it is. But we're overlooking something to day.
Speaker 1: It's a good point.
Speaker 3: Ken's reward.
Speaker 1: This is a this is also interesting Isaac's favorite part.
Speaker 5: I thought that when was it?
Speaker 3: Ben?
Speaker 5: Is that Jones when he was talking about the basically inheritance of his family and his dogs and you guys were talking about like how fragile that is. That was fascinating to me. It's like if you inherited a million dollars that was surrounded by dynamite and there was a faulty wire in there or sparking, you're just like one small incident away from losing all of it, Like if you get your bloodline broken, Like there it goes. But like the whole point of having it is putting it in a dangerous situation. Yeah, it's that was super fascinating to me, Like because you think about all of this history that goes into this line of dogs and then to think like the whole point is putting them up against bears.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just kind of blew my mind.
Speaker 2: Well, when I was standing there with Ben and and I don't know Ben's twenty nine, twenty nine I'm gonna come back to Ben. I'm standing there with all his dogs in this. You remember when I on the first episode said that somebody might bypass in Appalachia a backyard or a little watered hollows. What I said, where they've got the dogs tethered and can come down to get water. Dark brindled dogs going up a hollow man, there is nothing more.
Speaker 1: If you know, when you see that, you're like, this is special. That's what Roy Clark's house looks like. If you went to Roy Clark's house.
Speaker 2: You can send one hundred Americans up his road and it'd be interesting to see what they would say because most of them would not see the They just wouldn't know they would. They would see something different to those of us on the inside. Ignorant is well, And I'm standing out and Ben's back with Ben and Tracy's dogs and I don't know. Let's just say there's twenty five dogs there and it's like that's all of them. And now, granted I want to say this, they have close friends that run Houston Valley dogs. I mean it takes more than that's not enough. That's not enough, but there's not and I don't know this, so I can say it without like getting in their business. I bet there's not five guys that they're super close with that they breed back and forth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, three or four maybe there.
Speaker 2: But there would also be some historical things that happened years ago, like you know, maybe twenty years ago Barry gave somebody a dog that they kind of still have some of that blood that's kind of disconnected, So you know, there's some of it. But like the core of the Houston Valley strained plots is setting right there in front of us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and those dogs are getting hunted like crazy.
Speaker 10: And yeah, it's been long, small bone with short ears, yeah.
Speaker 2: He said, a short body, longer legs, short ears and small almost yeah almost black.
Speaker 5: Just enough bad register now now that car, buddy.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 2: That's the same way Roy I recorded Roy Clark describing to me the color that he liked in a bear dog, and and the way Roy Clark says it is he says, I can't do my Roy. I've got a great mister Roy. If you hear this, you know how much I love you. I have a great Roy Clark impression. I'm not sure I can do it right now, but he he says, I like them. When they're when twenty feet away from them, you think they're jet black, But when you're right up on them, you can see just enough brandle to register him.
Speaker 1: He basically said the same thing.
Speaker 2: Ben said, yeah, And now now I don't think I don't there's some people that don't like that.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty sure. I don't want to name any names.
Speaker 2: There's a there's a there's a there's a sect of plot people that do not like the black ones because historically the dogs were a little more brindle, and there was some controversy over the registration of allowing buckskin plots to be registered. Buckskin plots can be look like a yellow lab. I mean, you'd see Roy has one, He's got all these black dogs, and then there's a yellow lab sitting there and you're like, what is that?
Speaker 1: And he's like, it's a plot. Where'd you get it?
Speaker 3: There's no and you turn them anyway in the sun, you can't see any brindle at all.
Speaker 2: Man, the ones that I've seen, I'm telling you you, you'd put them on a stand in flooded timber.
Speaker 1: In Arkansas and expect.
Speaker 2: And he was saying that they may kill me for that if I die, it's because I said that.
Speaker 4: So many reasons for you to die these days.
Speaker 2: Well, but but point being, the buckskin used to be like this deep traditional thing and it was special. They were special because you'd have just every five generations, you'd have one that would be.
Speaker 3: That's my that's my question when he said clarify for me, when he said register, is he talking about register in UKC or is he talking about register that you can actually.
Speaker 2: See No, No, UKC. They can't be jet black if you have a dog yellow one. Well, okay, that's only in the last two years have they allowed buckskin plots to be registered. Nice And it was a major controver, major controversy because what happened was is there became an out here we go again if I died because they killed me. What happened was is that Brendle bear dogs a a prized plot.
Speaker 1: Hound was a was a buckskin plot.
Speaker 2: And they accused some guys of breeding in red bones to get buckskin plots, and so so these breeders would be like, heck, you need to breed that dog with a buck with a with a red bone, and you'll get all the buckskin plots. You want and be able to sell those for good money. So people were accusing people of doing stuff like that because you could quickly get a buckskinish dog by putting in something red or lighter colored. And so that's when some of the guys were like, no buckskins. But buckskins were clearly traditionally inside the breed. And I have talked to me any of prominent plot breeders, and I didn't ask Tracy. Tracy, Tracy probably be listening to this. I would like to know if Houston Valley has ever thrown a buckskin plot to.
Speaker 3: The original five were supposed to be yellow dogs.
Speaker 2: Of the original five that were definitely on that ship.
Speaker 5: If this mule, what would be considered the flashy variety.
Speaker 2: Oh, the flashy is the Maltese and buckskin. Now, I don't want to I don't want to put words in. This is all real serious stuff.
Speaker 8: So this is pre technical. I think that we're I think we're in the weeds.
Speaker 2: Oh, dude, this is where the meat of this bone is at. Has had a few Maltese plots. His dogs are just like almost jet black, and they'll pump out a Maltese plot. Now, a gray undercoat with black stripes. They're really neat dogs, very hard to come by. So uh, Brent, Yeah, Okay, if Miss Nukeman thinks we're in the weeds, she's probably right.
Speaker 9: We are.
Speaker 3: She normally is.
Speaker 5: I don't think being in the weeds.
Speaker 1: Is wrong, not always, Brent.
Speaker 2: Just favorite part of the podcast, oh for just analysis, you know.
Speaker 6: Talking about God Man, it was good. I told you before we started this may this episode may surpass anything that we've ever done, or you've ever done, that we ever listened to or talked about.
Speaker 3: It's absolutely wonderful.
Speaker 6: Identified a lot with his hatred for moonshine because my moonshine steals were meth labs. I felt the same way. Hmmm, So I think that part I really I'm not comparing myself to him by any means. I'm just saying that I know where he was coming from them.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I thought an interesting nuance that they introduced was he was like, it's basically depicted as a binary scenario where you're either a moonshiner and you're of the people, or you're a revenuer and you're whatever. He's like, he didn't care about the taxes. Yeah, he cared about what it was doing to his community, which is I thought, an interesting nuanced view.
Speaker 2: You know, I'd never well, I have heard that analogy before about that. You know, moonshine is, moonshine is today's like myth and then here we are like glorifying moonshiner's, you know in fifty years where they glorify the meth addicts. You know, but Brent, fifty years from now, I'm gonna make a bear grease about you.
Speaker 3: What are you even talking about, Brent?
Speaker 4: Bust that would be good. I'd listen to that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, carry on, Brent, carry on. That was just the start. It was just an opening comment from.
Speaker 2: Why was it the best he's He told me that beforehand he said, Clay, this may have been the best burgers.
Speaker 3: That I liked.
Speaker 6: The when he talked about the routine that he had reminded me so much of my grandparents. And then I said, we said it wall Ago, not to add nauseam. You know that he would my grandpa wouldn't bossing my grandmother around. It was if he wanted warm food.
Speaker 3: It was be there then.
Speaker 6: And when he got up, take his bath, all that stuff, because she had stuff to do, you know, she she got up before him in the morning, got him off to the farm, and then she worked there at the house, and then she went to the store that they owned and she worked that and then she come home and then she fixed up her and he come in, and it's that whole, that whole scenario. My grandmother was the lynch pin that held the whole family together. She was running the whole show. And my grandfather went to his grave saying she was the boss. You know, hey, Hazel was the boss.
Speaker 3: I think there.
Speaker 9: She didn't get up and cook. She puts the cereal out at night and Tony if you don't like it.
Speaker 6: So that a good point identified with the whole and I'm sure a lot of people do you know, identify with that, with their grandparents, with that that era. So that that was I love all the dogs too, I mean, you know, I'm crazy about hunting dogs. But to me, that the family aspect of that and his his role in trying to do make his community better, I really identify with that, So that that was my favorite part.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I appreciated that he was like, I'm gonna get revenge. I can do a little legal way or the illegal way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's interesting.
Speaker 2: I was surprised when Tracy used that word revenge, and I mean he was just quoting his grandpa. He's like, he's like, that's what he said to me. Like, I can't sugarcoat this thing. He said, I want revenge, which is just.
Speaker 1: Interesting, interesting, and.
Speaker 2: I was amazed at the you know, you hear, might hear a story about somebody moonshining or something, and when you actually go dig into it, you realize there's not a whole lot there. I mean, you know, like we have some moon a moonshine story in our family of my grandfather, my mother's father, who went to some type of juvenile jail before he was eighteen for being involved in the transportation of illegal moonshine.
Speaker 3: We talked about that, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: And it's like you dig into it and that's about all there is.
Speaker 2: Like he apparently didn't stayed doing that, or at least didn't get caught and that YadA YadA. I had heard these stories about Barry from Tracy and others, and it's just like, yeah, Barry was a he was a big, big, really involved in bustin moonshine, and this story, when you dig into it, it just went deeper. And deeper and deeper and deeper, and I didn't touch the surface of it. Yeah, I really didn't trust what Tracy told me.
Speaker 1: Today.
Speaker 2: I communicated a little bit with him and he said, he said it was you know, really enjoyed it. The family enjoyed it. And he said, you really, we really didn't touch the surface of really who Barry Tarlton was. And I believe it and and and even the stories so in the interview that Bob Plott did, and I got a lot of thanks to Bob Plott for just being there.
Speaker 1: And but then Tracy filmed.
Speaker 4: It and uh, Bob pt did the interview.
Speaker 2: Talking to Barry Tarleton and you didn't hear Bob's voice on it. But I wanted to give Bob credit for just being there to interview Barry months before he died. And uh, Barry was it was late in his life, and you know, you could tell like his his his world was kind of closing in a little bit because he just wasn't that elaborate. He wasn't he just didn't quite have but he he it was unreal. The stories, I mean, like him saying they were like did you bust some moonshine steals and he was like, yeah, one time I busted a big big steals a thousand gallons. And he told the whole story of how he busted the big He said, he said, they went, they snuck into this moonshine still and I just couldn't include it. It was just too long. He snuck into this moonshine steal him and another guy, you know, two law enforcement officers armed and they're trying to just get in there to get their eyes on it and maybe catch the guys. And on the way in they run in two boys, young boys, and Barry call them over and says, don't you tell anybody you saw us here. He gave both the boys five dollars each and told them, don't you tell anybody that you saw us here. Apparently they were right behind somebody's house, because he said the two boys left with the five dollars, and he heard them go down to their house and yell for their mama, mama, and uh and and uh. He said he could hear them tell their mom that they just saw the law and uh and and some and he talked about like circling around the mountain and then running into the adults that were in charge of the Moonshine Still, and he knew them. They were just people that he knew. Is just like Bill. And they didn't put up a fight, like it wasn't a shootout. It was just it was just like, got you Bill, Yep, we're going to take this still and uh and and then.
Speaker 1: So they arrest him without without tussle. They arrested these guys.
Speaker 2: And then but one of the guys they arrested was a young guy like probably twenty years old. That's the impression I got, who was wanted for murder that they've been trying to catch. This kid had killed a man with a set of.
Speaker 5: Pliers for seventy eight cents.
Speaker 2: Like he was trying to rob him, basically, and he had seventy eight somehow they knew it was for seventy eight cents. And I don't think the kid meant to kill him, but he killed him with a pair of plyers and hauled him off way deep in the mountains, down in a halla and dumped the body. And Barry got the guy in a room, an interrogation room, and was just like, you killed that guy, didn't you, And basically the guy confessed to kill them, and he said, where's the body? And he told Barry right where the body was. Barry got in his car, drove twenty miles out into the mountains, walked down in this deep haula and found the body.
Speaker 1: They hauled it out.
Speaker 2: I mean, there was just one story that just sparked in a his mind, like and then you know the tommy gun story. It's like, what you heard was all that he told. But it's like, wait a minute, where were you who had a Tommy gun and was shooting your car?
Speaker 5: Any one of these stories you would have a hard time telling in an hour and four minute podcasts, much less a lifetime. Eighty four years or eighty two years of these stories seemingly all the time.
Speaker 2: I mean, just the amount of shootouts and killing that was going on back in those times was just unbelievable. And there he also in part of the part of the interview that I just I just couldn't put in there, Barry said that the law didn't cope come back in the Houston Valley very often.
Speaker 1: That's why he wanted to be constable, is because the sheriff, like Dodge City man, he said, he said.
Speaker 2: The law was just too far back it just they just didn't come out there, and so he had to kind of take it into his own hands.
Speaker 10: And everybody didn't have an iPhone to take pictures of videos of what was going on, you know, a little free run. Hey, one thing before you you quit, and we can answer this afterwards. But I was intrigued by these dogs in that they weren't fighting dogs. You know, if you just ask me, I'd go in and give me a stinking pit bull and a Great Dane. You give me some big old dog that you're not worried about that. Apparently it was running dogs. It's what they wanted once they got to the bear. I mean, they a little long legged, shortier dogs, not gonna be whipping the bear.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, a pack of them could maybe. Well that's that's the thing is. They're not trying to overpower a bear. They've got a bear. A black bear is the hardest big game animal in North America to tree, more than a mountain lion, more than a coon, more than a fox, more than a whatever.
Speaker 1: You have to a bear dog.
Speaker 2: I have heard it said, and and I'm gonna say it just because it's it's a compelling thought. Even though some one might argue about it. They're the They have to be the most athletic dog in the world.
Speaker 3: Like that.
Speaker 1: There's not I mean, more more than any working dog.
Speaker 2: A bear dog has to have a unique set of characteristics. Gotta have an incredible nose to be able to track, gotta have the nerve, as Roy Clark and the Lower Mountain bear hunters say, they got to be nervy. That's a big thing is that you turn Tim loose on a black bear and he gets swatted one time and he's like, ros, I'll be.
Speaker 3: Treading to squirrels.
Speaker 1: I'll be I'll just keep treading squirrels.
Speaker 2: Ninety eight percent of dogs on planet Earth ninety nine point nine probably encounter a bear. They finally catch one, and they're like, holy cow, I had no idea that you were big and harry and mean and could kill me. A bear dog's got to have the right amount of want to catch you but not get killed, because if they just run in and grab hold of a bear, they're gonna die. Yeah, you gotta have They got to have incredible athleticism. So I mean, they're not breeding for some big yeah, like a dog to run in and catch a bearry. He's got to be able to travel miles and miles through mountains.
Speaker 10: The other side of my question is if you went around the country and ask a different type pound man, you know, plot man, what what what are you describing your dog? You know, Ben said, long legs, small body, short ears. This other guy's he gonna what's he gonna say? I mean, you know, so apparently there's a lot of he used a word like style of dog.
Speaker 1: Sure, sure, uh.
Speaker 3: That's the way in just in every breed, you know.
Speaker 6: I know my buddy Ricks he likes a forty five pound walker dog and a female to coon hunt. I know boys that like, don't bring it to the house unless it's gonna be over seventy pounds.
Speaker 3: You know, every breeze.
Speaker 9: You know, labs are like that.
Speaker 10: Guys like a small female a lot of times to retrieve ducks.
Speaker 9: But anyway, now.
Speaker 2: What what Tracy said though, was he's said, in these mountains here, serious plot men. If they never spoke to each other, didn't know each other, and you went to him, they would have pretty close to the same thing, because they've all got to do.
Speaker 1: The same job.
Speaker 2: Now, I will say that I hunted with a very reputable plot breeder named Curtis Walker one time. Honestly some of the most of them, Yeah, Curtis Walker, plot man West Virginia plots. Yeah, some of the most impressive dogs I've hunted with. They had a dog that I guarantee you weigh one hundred pounds. They called him Copper A plot. Yeah. I watched, I mean I hunted with the dog. I saw it, and they said it was one of the best bear dogs, I mean, as good a bear dog as they've ever had.
Speaker 1: And he weighed that dog was huge.
Speaker 2: It was a plot, I mean just and again going back to this idea of strains, and Ben Jones said, you know, I asked Ben, I said, what do you like about? And Ben said, Clay, I don't really like plots. I just like mine. Yeah, yeah, there's there, there's there's a lot of variation, but I would say the big one hundred pound copper dog is an outlier.
Speaker 8: Let me tell you what I like about a good plot. Him to me, Okay, if I were looking for a plot, hen, okay, here's the things they'd have to have. Are you always we are? I like the leapers, if you go, if you if you go, Coon hunting with Jed and Burn. Uh well, and we won't go coon hunt with anymore. So yeah, but Jed would. He loved when we would.
Speaker 3: You he's a climber.
Speaker 4: He's a climber.
Speaker 8: So you you you'd tree a coon by a hill and Jed would run to the top of the hill and leap from the hill to the top of the tree. And he would do it just to show off sometimes, Yeah, if you want to show And it was like clear he was like, yes, I get to leap. You could tell he always loved he loved it. I mean, I know, so I want a dog that's a leaper. I want a dog that's a singer. Jed has a real pretty voice and he likes to he likes to show it off.
Speaker 4: You know, I don't like him singing at night, but.
Speaker 8: I really love just sitting out there watching Jed just kind of look at the sky and think deep thoughts and sing these beautiful songs. So a leaper, a singer, a leaner you you can't walk up to, I mean, clearly is my favorite.
Speaker 2: These dogs, like if you were breeding, will have any functionality, could any work all on?
Speaker 8: So with Jed, you know, you come out anytime you're a near Jed, he just leans on you and sticks his arm up and.
Speaker 4: On you, just like you always know kind of you.
Speaker 8: You're loved and you're and then he would be able to treat a coon because if he can't, he's gonna.
Speaker 9: Get rid of it.
Speaker 8: So those are the four things that I'd like to I'd like to get out of a And Jed kind.
Speaker 4: Of pulled the wool over eyes for a while because he un it's.
Speaker 2: Kind of it's kind of like me and Brent. People think like I'm good at podcasting. It's only because I run around with brown.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So Jed ran around with Fern. He looked like a good coon dog.
Speaker 8: We lost Fern, and all of a sudden we realized, man Nen knows it all.
Speaker 4: He's just got a great hype hype man.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 10: One of the one of the pretty sights that I've seen in a while was when we stayed in your little cabin up there and I came down one morning and I looked through that back door the window, and it's that Jed. Jed was sitting there like he owned the world at the end of your barn with the doors open. He was just singing. I mean, it was just beautiful. I went from my phone. I thought, well, probably won't take going through that window.
Speaker 8: But it was really I know exactly what you're talking about. He likes to sit at the the barn and you could see the mountain, you know, with the barn doors open, you could you can look over jed shoulder and see the mountain. And he's just singing those songs.
Speaker 1: People singing those songs. I come out in the middle of that.
Speaker 2: My neighbors, like, I have a few numbers that probably could hear me yell like, you can't frustrat the dog, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 8: A little more frustrated. I can sleep through the dog. I can't sleep through hill.
Speaker 2: Bottle hollering at them dogs. Man, this has been a great render. I I've this this uh, this story to me is is really special. Really enjoyed telling it. It was a lot of fun. The We're gonna do something a little different the next couple episodes of Burgers.
Speaker 5: I'm not gonna tell you someone well, it's actually gonna be an hour and a half of just Bancho.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I've kind of opened up a can of worms with this player thing, because I've I've got very specific needs, and like they can't be strings attached, like it's not like.
Speaker 5: Only to the banjo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hopefully it's five strings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the only five would you go for if they played a four string banjo?
Speaker 4: There is a four string banjo?
Speaker 2: Okay, well just strings on the banjo, that's all, but clearly not interesting.
Speaker 5: No strings attached have to be named JB.
Speaker 2: Well they can be named whatever, Okay, But obviously I would be nice to this person stuff like that. But I like to I I used to own a business and I like to u uh undersell and over deliver, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it would be like, guess what, this is.
Speaker 2: Going to be terrible, and then they come in thinking it's going to be terrible, and then they realize it's not that bad.
Speaker 3: It's mediocre and it's great.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It's short.
Speaker 2: So if we had a banjo player, actually, it would be really great and you'd probably at the time of your life for just an hour or so. Man, So great to see everybody. Thanks for coming up, Dad, Josh, Misty, Isaac Brent. So good to see everybody. Yeah, long Hunters, go ahead and pre order it.
Speaker 3: So big. It would be.
Speaker 2: You know, there's certain things that you can lean on your audience and just be like, please do this, just just do it, just.
Speaker 4: For us, give it to someone for Christmas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it'll be it's for the cost of the audiobook. It is a lot of entertainment, Like not just entertainment that's gonna just like flush through your brain, actual educational entertainment.
Speaker 4: You can be the smartest person in the room.
Speaker 10: Yeah, speaking of entertainment, we're going to watch you can cut this out. Shepherd new can play basketball. Last time I went, he scored thirty eight points.
Speaker 2: Yes that's yes, excellent sheep out of four street game of scoring over thirty.
Speaker 3: Happy birthday Bear John, Yeah that too. And he's only a sophomore.
Speaker 1: All right, guys, thank you so much