Speaker 1: Toss Popcorn is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hi.
Speaker 1: I'm Sienna Jakol and I'm Leanna Holsten, and welcome to Toss Popcorn, the podcast where two idiots watched every film on the AFI's one hundred Greatest American Movies of All Time, the Very slightly Less Racist tenth Anniversary edition, and are now watching movies of our own. Our listeners and our moms.
Speaker 3: Choosing this podcast is a safe factory for people who don't know anything about movies. Today, we're watching flaman Hot.
Speaker 1: For Oh Bye.
Speaker 3: Good warning. There will be spoilers about this very recent film.
Speaker 1: True, I know it was very good.
Speaker 3: Twenty twenty three, twenty twenty three, baby, Oh my gosh, did your mom put this on the list?
Speaker 1: She voted for this one?
Speaker 3: Yes? Okay, thank you, Lisa.
Speaker 1: I knew it was structed by a woman. I didn't know that one was straight up a.
Speaker 3: Eva Longoria, noted and beautifully haired celeb Eva Longoria. Yes have you seen this before?
Speaker 1: I have not. Oh my god, I need to watch it for a long time.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, could I please hear your prediction for flames?
Speaker 1: I don't think I even mentioned anything about Mexican Americans in this prediction.
Speaker 3: Wow, erasure, erasure.
Speaker 1: Okay, Hi, Leanna, this is Sienna. I'm about to watch Flame It Hot, a movie that my mom loves that I haven't gotten to watch yet. I think it's about the person who invented flame in hot cheetos, and it's directed by a woman. Those are the things that I believe that I know. Yes, so hopefully there'll be a couple of scenes of people like eating this cheetah with this this stuff on it and going.
Speaker 4: Hmm, oh my, oh my gosh, oh my god, we have to do something with this.
Speaker 1: Yes, Okay, I love you, goodbye. Yes, pretty much. The film really is kind of unironically, so yeah, I would love to listen to your prediction.
Speaker 3: All right here it is good morning, Sienna, Hello Leanna. I Today we will be watching the film Flaming Hot. Oh is this the one with Andy Samberg.
Speaker 1: Hot Rod?
Speaker 3: That's something else we should watch Jack Black in it. No, I predict Andy Samberg or Jack Black maybe, or it's a documentary about the creation of the cheeto. Okay, yeah, I think it'll be kind of silly boy vibes.
Speaker 1: No, yep, that's it. I completely get what you were thinking yeah.
Speaker 3: Based on the name, I was thinking it was hot Rod or Nacho Libree totally, and what in fact was was Flamin' Hot, the story of the development of the flame and hot Cheeto.
Speaker 1: I will say I would have loved if that had been the style of this. Well, Leanna, before we get into the movie, Hey girl, Hey girl, Yeah, last year you were betrayed. Wait, no, last week you were.
Speaker 3: Betrayed last year. Much like Jesus, I recorded that prediction this morning, and this right now is now the next time today that I've spoken to a person.
Speaker 1: Wait, I guess some power to was you?
Speaker 3: Yeah? The first person I talked to was myself this morning recording this prediction. I really I was talking to you, but you weren't there. And then the second person I spoke to is you, and now you are here.
Speaker 1: Hello.
Speaker 3: The difference between those was about eight hours.
Speaker 1: Do you work from home on Fridays?
Speaker 3: I do, and my flatmate has not been working from home at all this month, which is hell for them and also actually more importantly for me. It's crazy how the day goes by and you just haven't spoken aloud.
Speaker 1: Being completely by yourself. I think it's even weirder when you're in a home that is not one that is just yourself.
Speaker 3: Yes, there's let to be a presence. You just become aware of things that you didn't need to know about. Like I now am aware of a numbness in one of my toes that was not an an issue before, but now I'm really aware of it, and I'm like, is this bad?
Speaker 1: Interesting?
Speaker 3: Should I have feeling in every part of all of my toes?
Speaker 1: People don't check in with their toes as much as you'd think.
Speaker 3: No. I used to be very aware of my toes as a dancer, but then I had to log off toe wise for a number of years. But I think I think the numbness is probably from all the dancing. I don't know.
Speaker 1: You've logged off toe wise.
Speaker 3: In the in the toe sense, I'm offline off. Nobody is staffed in the toe department of my bod. I've laid off the toe department preus honestly relevant relevant my toe. My toe unit has been made redundant, you know, I don't know. I don't think you have to have feeling in every part of all of your toes. It's true, as long as they can, they're just there over exactly, exactly exactly. Oh good, and our echo chamber is up and running because it's follow the format throw what you know, you know format. Oh oh, I'm sorry. Oh oh, no, I said an impro Oh god, I'm so sorry. Hey girl, do you want to talk about that or talk about something else?
Speaker 1: No, I just took it. I took an improv class that I was kind of like on the fence about to begin with. But it was one of those situations that I do to myself a lot, where I went, I don't want to do this, and thus it will be good for me to do, like oh my god, when I was crazy, Oh my god, girl, the Pope, sorry, hope, the pope. We have a number of Catholic listeners out there who wish me happy Eastern things. Hello, Hello, We lost the pope who was a very very important pope. He really modernized the church. She was very liberal. You know, he didn't do it all, but there were a.
Speaker 3: Lot no, yeah, for sure, there were a.
Speaker 1: Lot of ways that he really really centered the church in a way that was going forward and keeping us sane throughout the rest of the world that we know of kind of failing us right now.
Speaker 3: We know.
Speaker 1: The world as we know it, that's kind of failing us right now. He was really so it felt like progress was happening everywhere else feels like it's the opposite.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so it.
Speaker 1: Is sad, but hopefully my my family group chat was popping off, popping off. The day, the day the Pope died was a day that I could tell that my world is different than my friends because the things people were talking about in our group chats and stuff. I was like, you guys are talking as if the Pope didn't die today. You're going on with life as we know it, as if the Pope isn't dead, which is all my family is talking about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, anyway, I'm sorry for your loss.
Speaker 1: It's all good. Another thing that's happening is that I will be helping at the Puppet Festival this.
Speaker 3: Year, Popeit Festival. That's that's the third Pope pun. I don't know if you heard the previous two. Sorry, what were the other you were in? No, that's okay, you were in mourning?
Speaker 1: What were they?
Speaker 3: I'm gonna let you hear him back during the edit.
Speaker 1: As I hear myself mourning aggressively.
Speaker 3: I'm just making Pope puns. In the back.
Speaker 1: Well, Leona speaking of people who should be Catholic, but I guess are not, question Mark, let's talk about this movie.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, were they not? Oh that's right, wait book, I'm reading. I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: At one point they said pastor, and I said pastor.
Speaker 3: Oh is that that's not? What is it? In? Catholic? Minister, mother Wizard? Yes, father, I did, I did, Sorry about that? Yes, well Catholic, Sienna, could you please give us a Catholic synopsis of the non Catholic but really Catholic in Energy and Spirit film Flaman Hot.
Speaker 1: Yes, Flaming Hot, a story of Richard Montagnez, a former janitor at Freedo Lay who is often credited with creating flaman Hot cheetos.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The film was directed by Ava Longoria and it's all about Mexican American power. You better work. Hell yeah, yeah, that's it. We see inside of the Freedo Lay factory. It's got somehow, it's made vibes.
Speaker 3: It does, and I.
Speaker 1: Would go through the It's also big on Chicano culture, which is what my family sort of that's my family's background. I mean, it's all the same, but like it's just sort of how you identify because of the eras. Yes, yeah, so, oh my gosh, let's talk about it.
Speaker 3: Yes, hell yeah. Let's get into our phone notes, where we read the notes that the other person took on their phone while watching the film. Okay, first up, two big cues. Yeah, one cute? Did you love this movie?
Speaker 1: Okay? Okay? Both yes, both yes, and that like, I loved all the parts of it. Was the end a.
Speaker 3: Little hallmark, all the parts of it.
Speaker 1: Was the end a little hallmark for me. And when I stepped away from the movie that I say, boy, conservatives probably love this interesting.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: In addition to that, I loved it and thought it was super cute. I don't want to hate on it in that way. I just I understand the nuances, Like when Tony Shaloub's characters felt like he was gonna say something evil and it turned out to just be nice. I was like, Okay, convenient, you know what I mean. But yes, so I'm aware of that. But at the same time, I loved every single moment of it.
Speaker 3: Ah, I agree.
Speaker 1: I watched the show how It's made a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: If we've discussed this, so that's already part of it. And I loved this Mexican family. Yeah, I loved so much of it. So yeah, so kind of.
Speaker 3: Any family vibes? Okay, yeah great? And in my second queue for you, where are you at vis A vis the flame and hot Cheetoh.
Speaker 1: I was going to ask you the same thing. So I only I only began sort of enjoying spicy foods. My family is Mexican, but my Mexican side of the family is like super not spice loving, which is like so disappointing. But they're really like spice WIMPs, which is funny.
Speaker 3: But simps spims don't ever say I'm telling my I'm giving myself the note to never say that.
Speaker 1: Again, I think, but that sounds no good.
Speaker 3: I hate it.
Speaker 1: But uh so I've only recently begun really enjoying spicy foods. So I could see myself getting a bag of flame and hot Cheetos now, but I'd have to eat it very slowly. Ah love Cheetos. The thing is is I love regular cheetos so much, like, probably more than the average person because I'm a garbage mouth. But I heard somebody call themselves that one time, and I was like, that is what I am. I put garbage on my mouth.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, garbage mouth.
Speaker 1: But uh so, usually I'd rather have regular Cheetos because I enjoyed them so much. But I can enjoy I can enjoy a flame and hot Yes, what about you.
Speaker 3: I am not a Cheeto girl. I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: That's okay.
Speaker 3: I wish I were because they are so beloved and I people enjoy them so much, and I'm sad I don't have that same enjoyment. I will absolutely fuck up a dorito. I'll really up a deret. My favorite thing in La was to get high and then just how's a bag of Dorito's. There was something about the mouth feel while you're high.
Speaker 1: Do you like nacho cheese?
Speaker 3: And I like cool ranch that here? They call it cool original in the UK, and I'm like, what, that's weird? What are you talking about?
Speaker 1: Original? What cool?
Speaker 3: Original? I don't understand what that is. That is so weird, insane.
Speaker 1: Insane behavior. It can't be cool original. If it's original, it's original. If it has to be qualified as cool, it's something else.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's well, I mean they call themselves great Britain, so that's true.
Speaker 1: Not the master of the qualifier. Yeah, it's hard for me to imagine reaching for a bag of flame and hot Cheetos on an empty stomach.
Speaker 3: Ever, I think that would be a hard way to start the day.
Speaker 1: Lehanna, your first note is, oh my god, is it about Cheetos? One more time, your first note is, oh my god, it is about Cheetos.
Speaker 3: Yes, Yes, I really was, so I was.
Speaker 1: I'm proud of you too. I'm proud of you too. I didn't realize you have seen any advertising about this either.
Speaker 3: No, none at all. And the facts are you just missed me nee my microphone in the mic joint. The fact that Fredo's Frido lay Cheetos are just not part of my world at all. I was like, whoa still still the I mean it speaks to the power of flaming hot, you know, the branding, that it makes you conjure up that snack food even when you do not personally prefer it. Seanna, I agree with you. You've written imagine bullying someone over the world's worst meat blowing.
Speaker 1: That was crazy. These kids, there's there's a theme going through of like being a shame to be Mexican, or being in a shame to be like the foreigner at school. You know, like with the food. The kids make fun of these, like stupid bully White kids come up and they're like, what's the burrito that you wish you had?
Speaker 3: Balooney sandwich?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: What, how have you eaten baloney? How many times have you eaten blooney in your life? Do you think? I feel like we're lucky to not have to eat it as much as they did in sort of maybe the sixties.
Speaker 3: Yeah, is that what they are able to make a smiley face out of? You know? That that meat that they can make make faces in. I think that's disturbing. I don't think we should do that. That feels like we're mocking the animal. I agree with that, thank you.
Speaker 1: I just can't eat meat that is pink like that, that is pink all over, that is pure, like homogeneous pink, not just around pink meat. I can't eat that.
Speaker 3: Unsettling. Well, you'll never eat me.
Speaker 1: Are you looking for a little more spice in your life? We might just provide that after these advertisements, we'll be right back. Leana, you said factories are mind blowing to me, So how do you feel just the sheer volume of chetos. I just can't get my head around seeing that many chips. Yeah, going out there, and that's just one factory.
Speaker 3: I mean this. You have to make enough chips to feed America.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And we love chips, we do, we do love you really love. You have to make so many chips, and I it's like when you're in a stadium for an event and they're like the audience count today is forty thousand people, and you're like, what, Wow, I have no way of understanding what that is. Yeah, and I'm looking at it and you've told me what it is. I get a little stressed about it because it reminds me of space.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 3: There's so many chips that I start to feel like we're in outer space.
Speaker 1: You don't like things that are incomprehensible, I really don't.
Speaker 3: I think it's why I shy away from religion.
Speaker 1: Also, factories, okay, love that reflection factories are in a way infinite. There's like, no, it's not like they're trying to complete an order. Take a break.
Speaker 3: I actually think that is exactly what it is.
Speaker 1: It's like, there's never any reason that they're going to stop producing chips, Like they're gonna do that forever.
Speaker 3: I guess, except for Reagan. Yeah, the only thing that's getting in their way is Ronald Reagan.
Speaker 1: And they still wanted to. It's just because the factory doesn't have any reason to stop ever, Like if it closes down, that's one thing, But the point economy, it has to close down, because the point of the factory existing is to go for forever and ever and every chips until the end of time. That is terrifying to think.
Speaker 3: About chips odd infinitum. Wouldn't it be nice that would be a good family crest chips ad infinitum.
Speaker 1: I think so too. Wouldn't it be nice if more jobs just kind of ended at some point, if they were like, well, we did it. We did a lot of chips. I'm proud of us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like they set a quantity when the factory opened.
Speaker 2: That's all.
Speaker 1: I want six billion.
Speaker 3: Chips and then we will stop. Guess I want a six billionth one. We're done.
Speaker 1: I did it, We're able to. We're ready to move on to a new snack.
Speaker 3: Now, new snack, new snack.
Speaker 1: Leanna, I think that a few of our notes are about to be similar here. You've said this was so me on the first day of.
Speaker 3: My job, and you wrote me at my one job a month? Is this about being enthusiastic?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: And helpful? You know, we'd be like, oh boy, do I love I'm just so happy to be here. I'm so glad to have a job. I don't care what it is. I will help with literally whatever. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I feel like the more grunt work my job is, like if I get put onto PA on something, now, I'm like, I gotta make this count. So I'm like networking, working, doing the best, doing the best, doing the best, Like, you need this, so you need this table move, You'll go ahead and do it you need I had an idea over here, I had an idea. They're like, who are you hey? Please?
Speaker 3: That Pa was insane.
Speaker 1: You're supposed to say nothing to us. Yeah, well, but you see, I have so much more to offer than just this. But I'm so excited to have the work that I'm just giving it my all.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: Yes. How long do you think that lasted for you?
Speaker 3: Ooh? I think typically like a year and then I kind of hit a wall. But I don't think actually that's not true at all. I'd say maybe a month. I'm offering heavy enthusiasm for one month, yeah, and then I kind of. I'll simmer right down. Huh, love that Sienna. Before we get into our other similar notes, you wrote, quote, Jesus did some pretty gangster shit end quote. This movie is pandering to Christians, Okay? And did you feel positively about pandering or negatively or just observing that one?
Speaker 1: I was just observing and it made me laugh because I was like, absolutely, they know exactly where to get us. It's just the one movie we get to watch about Mexican Americans and we don't even have Catholics in it. Are you kidding me?
Speaker 3: Yeah, dang, I'm sorry about that Mexican Catholicism.
Speaker 1: Powerful Well, should we talk about our next shared note, which is about at the same time, Yes, all right? Three two one.
Speaker 3: Tony Tony shlloube. I love him, Tony Shalloo'll follow him anyway. I will follow you into the dark.
Speaker 1: Oh, my money, Joe, my surprise, my surprise, my glee, my glee.
Speaker 3: I love when he's somewhere. I know me too, somewhere, I say, Tony shaloube.
Speaker 1: He is the best, He is the greatest performer. He is so funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, his big big eyebrows in this Yeah, Bushy big eyebrows, huge brows.
Speaker 1: What do you love Tony shalub most from Hmmm.
Speaker 3: That's gotta be monk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I gotta be monk. Did you watch a lot of Monk? I forget I know, we talked about this a lot. Me freaking two. I love Tony shaloub Leanna, you've said America is so embarrassing. Please say more.
Speaker 3: Oh God. When the economy crashed, ah and it was Reaganomics and he was like, it'll trickle down. I was like, damn, We've really been embarrassing forever, haven't we obviously as white people, but then also as like a nation run by a lot of white people.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I haven't seen that many movies going through the course of like the eighties, just as like a working person.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: For some reason, that struck me, and I was like, oh my god, I know about trickle down and whatever. But I know, I know about Reagan's trickled down, and I all of Reagan's horrible choices for this country and the working people of this country. But I don't often see in movies that exact it affects somebody so specific. Yeah, you know, I was kind of it was kind of haunting. Yeah, my god, everybody's gone.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The reason one of the reasons I feel like this would movie would beloved by conservatives is even though that's like a commentary on like Reagan wasn't thinking about the poor, Reagan was not thinking about the American people, this is these are choices for the rich, the choices that led to where we are today. Yea, with rich people like the you, we're rich taking over. So that's that's a commentary on that. But if you wanted to look at this, it's like, well, look who got to keep his job, the guy who worked the hardest.
Speaker 3: By his bootstraps. It's like he's the best total and they have Like while I was watching it, where where you were like I think can conservatives might love this? I was like, I wonder if like white people really love this movie? Yeah, And I have no idea. I can't speak to that because I simply am a white person and I did enjoy it a lot. I don't know how people who this is actually representing would feel about it. I know, truly no clue. Yeah, but when I really love something, it does give me pause.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this thing about an experience that's not mine but it's making me intentionally, making me feel really comfortable watching it. I wonder if it's feeling truthful, and maybe I don't know. I'm not really criticizing, I'm just actually wondering. Yeah, but what I will criticize is, yeah, making the CEO of PepsiCo like a benevolent billionaire who's just there to like listen everything. It was a flat terring portrayal of maybe an angel. Maybe that billionaire is an angel, but that goes against everything we know about billionaires.
Speaker 1: Leanna, you've said I am that one lady picking up the cool ranch Doritos. That is me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, When he and his colleague are like, who even buys the cool ranch Dorito's, and then a white woman comes in and is like excuse me and picks them off the shelf, I said, yes.
Speaker 1: Ah, same, wlaw. Those are the moments that represent my entire internal conflict existing in the world. Yes, as a person of of Mexican American heritage and also absolutely white. It really I'm like I am everyone on the screen, mainly the white lady makes me sick.
Speaker 4: Mmmm.
Speaker 1: The the distress and confusion I feel is immense.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, anyway, but that's not being American. That's a very American experience. I'd say, all right, uh, Leanna, you said ha ha cheto dust on the fingers. Oh yeah, when he has the when he's calling love the CEOs on the phone.
Speaker 3: Loved that. That was so true because that's that's the iconic Cheeto thing. Do you eat Cheetos with chopsticks? Have you ever done that?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: I like the rush you have garbage fingers as well as garbage.
Speaker 1: Fingers when you have them, kind of shred it off with your teeth. Leona, you've said, so you decide that you're an idiot me.
Speaker 3: When his mentor at the factory, who I of course know as the All State guy, was like, oh, it doesn't go wrong, it doesn't go right, so you decide that you're an idiot. And I was like, hello, I'm seeing myself represented. That's my brain's way of thinking. Absolutely. Somebody. The other day I saw a really hot man at this place I was with with a friend and she was like, oh, do you want to go back and like ask for his number? And I was like, are you kidding? I was just recently rejected. I'm not doing that again. It didn't work, and so I've decided I'm an idiot. You know.
Speaker 1: You see, I'm an idiot. I've learned something about myself. That's how I feel about every don't you see, friend, I'm an idiot. A lot of what he was saying about like I'm too stupid. I can't do this fucking job.
Speaker 4: I was like, yeah, yeah, hello, speaking my language, Leanna, you said, I love these entrepreneurial kids.
Speaker 1: Oh I loved this family.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that little boy flapped.
Speaker 1: That little baby, that little baby who's eating all the spicy food. Yeah, you're kid.
Speaker 3: He was a cutie. And then the older son who's like, I know why it's not working. It's because there's no advertising around it. I love that it exists. Entrepreneurial kids. I love this note, Siena, you wrote she sent the call over who is this woman?
Speaker 1: Okay, the sequel to this movie needs to be about the woman who was like, uh, you really shouldn't be calling here. And he's like, wait, can I though, Can I please talk to Tony Shaloub?
Speaker 3: And she's like, please let me talk to Tony Shalub.
Speaker 1: She's like, okay, yeah, that was crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The executive assistant to the head of.
Speaker 1: She gave no reason. I wonder if there was a monologue they cut out of her being like, this reminds.
Speaker 3: Me, sir, You've got to hear this.
Speaker 1: When my mother came here from Russia, nobody wanted to give her a chance.
Speaker 3: She had such a great idea for she had regular flavored inside a cheeto inside another cheeto. It didn't go anywhere because nobody sent her call through to Tony Shaloub Cheeto nesting dolls.
Speaker 1: That is so funny, Patrushka dolls?
Speaker 3: Is that what they're called? I believe it.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that's right. Okay, Leanna, you've said really huge sleigh, huge sleigh all around. Yeah, how'd you feel it? Generally?
Speaker 3: You know, I just enjoy an underdog story. I had little like small quiet alarm bells going off in the back of my mind that were like, this is really all wrapping up really cleanly. But it just I think is one of those movies. Yeah, and you know, fine, who am I to say that's not how it happened. Yeah, and everybody just slayed so hard, like he slayed so hard with his idea. Judy slayed so hard in every pair of jeans she wore and also I loved oh a kind and perfect woman. Yeah, the kids slayed hard by having good business ideas and acumen. Tony Shaloub had big eyebrows. The score was fun, just many slaves.
Speaker 1: I completely agree.
Speaker 3: Are you on your first day of the job and being pretty over eager about things? Don't worry you won't feel the same way in three minutes. I'll be right back up to these short messages.
Speaker 2: Well the honest.
Speaker 1: Should we move on to badges and trages?
Speaker 3: Please, please, and thank you. This is our segment, Badges and Trages, where we award badges for where we award badge billion dollar business ideas huh, and tradges for.
Speaker 1: Being trabajador and not getting any and not getting any uh, not getting the job you want anyway?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, what does that mean?
Speaker 1: Hardworking? Ah?
Speaker 3: Oh, yes, I have a badge for ninety eight minutes long. Thank you?
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, they packed a lot in there though, true, like there were a lot of steps in this movie. They put it on the shelves that it's like nothing's happening.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have a badge for forcing a white kid to try a burrito for the first time. I just loved that scene. Yeah, they forced him. Yeah, I'm gonna believe you, Like, oh, this is delicious. Try the burrito. Yeah, of course it's delicious. You've been equal loney sandwich.
Speaker 3: Is Yeah, it's it's really hard to imagine a world in which white people didn't enjoy burritos.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: I was thinking of that too. It's used to be and that's scary their favorite thing now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, badge for I love seeing someone do well, an underdog story where someone does well.
Speaker 1: I love that completely agree. Badge for eras of different looks. I love that, and uh and learning about history like from this perspective, because I just realize I haven't seen that many movies that are like here's the effect of Reagan's Yeah, situation, that's not like a documentary and not like I mean to be honest, I'm see white stories through the area.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, totally bad. Similar the way that they showed the years passing in the factory, like it was on different parts and yeah, things in the factory.
Speaker 1: I was like, that's fun, great, your favorite know what year you're in.
Speaker 3: I love knowing where and when we are.
Speaker 1: I have a badge for that, baby boy. I loved both these boys, but the youngest one who's like as big as my head and who was fighting with his brother. Yeah, and who was their taste tester. Yeah, Oh my gosh, he was so cute. Yeah he was when he was like, I love being Mexican and was naming all the foods he loves making fun of his brother. That's such a funny reason to make fun of your brother. Yeah, to be like, you're just ashamed and you don't like tamales as much as I do. So funny. I loved him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he slapped a badge for the three to one breathing thing that the couple did to help her, to help Judy calm down, and not in a way that's like misogynist to say, like calm down to a woman, but like she's actually really stressed and it helps her de stress.
Speaker 1: They were a loving and wonderful couple.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Tredge for Badge.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, badge for Matt Walsh's wig was cracking up or whatever it was that was on, whatever was going on there was cracking me up. WHOI I don't know what it was like gray and then with a couple of wisps of white in the front, the shape was so unnatural on his head. It really it really got me.
Speaker 3: And it took me a second to realize that was Matt Walsh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he did look different, very bald faced.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess the because he normally has a mustache, doesn't he.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he has a mustache, different hair, different.
Speaker 3: Hair badge for I love Judy. I love Judy so much too.
Speaker 1: Oh that's a great badge badge for. I'm just realizing right now. I mean, like, I'm definitely concerned about the the conservative appeal I have, but I will say I feel like movies where somebody is like a former gang member and chooses something else, like sometimes they can be like, well, he was the one smart wise person. He's trying to change his community in this way, but they kind of didn't, like, I appreciate the way that was just like one of the parts of his life and his community, and they didn't really like demonize like the rest of like his friends who were in a gang and stuff, you know where if this was really really pushing like a super yea, if it was a total like Christian in Teachings movie, that would make me uncomfortable. I feel like there'd be more of that. So I will all give it crazy you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true, and they make it very clear, like the systemic racism and societal prejudices totally force people into this, like yeah, there is literally no other choice.
Speaker 1: Yeah. A lot of the times like if you need to make a lot of money, this is what you gotta do.
Speaker 4: Hm.
Speaker 3: My final badge is for this post office worker who is just watching them do their little prayer over the box of flame and hot Cheetos that's getting shipped, and then says amen with them at the end.
Speaker 1: I loved that little prayer.
Speaker 3: This was fun, it was cute, silly.
Speaker 1: Uh badge for that is genuinely so true about fear of minorities. When he gives that speech, that's like, honestly, the reason like the powers that be are trying to make you feel bullied and bad about your culture is because they know you have so much riz that they could take you down, like or that you take them down, you take them down. And that's honestly, so so true about the way that racism and classism works in the United States is it's like, uh, uh, we can't let these guys know that they could really take us down or that like We're jealous of them for this reason, this reason, this reason, because they could become more powerful at any moment. We need to keep the status quo as it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yay, tragis uh trages.
Speaker 1: My first trage is.
Speaker 3: There in early in the film they had clips from historical like newsreels, and one of them was from the seventies, a protest of people of Mexican Americans protesting police brutality, and somebody was holding a sign that said and police brutality, And it was a societal trag for the fact that fifty years later, we're still having to protest food.
Speaker 1: I know. I felt that very much, the like it's been years and years and still nothing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Trage for the Hallmark movie Vibes. I'm I never like that in any movie where it's like too sweet. I didn't think I wouldn't. I won't say this is like like, there's lots I was enjoying in addition to that, but every now and then there are moments of that where I was like, Okay, I can see that being the takedown.
Speaker 3: If you were, that's the trage. That's the trage little sweet, Yeah, very similar. My next trage is that some of the dialogue felt a little bit trite, I think, or predictable, where sure, it's kind of one of those stories that's gonna have to hit those beats, as many of them do, so there always inevitably will be something that they have to say that's like something somebody else has said in a similar story. But it just felt a little bit like, I don't know, the dialogue sometimes felt kind of basic at times.
Speaker 1: Uh huh, that is that fair to say, I think so, And that will go to my second trage, which is I do think Tony Shaloub was underutilized in this film. Yeah, he was, if you want to use a video game term, nerved. He he a girl. He is a really good actor at doing sort of like uh, cutting dialogue. I think like he'd be a good sort of character who who had some more nuanced to him. But he was completely unnuanced. Yeah, which is true, which is okay. He played it fun, but there was a certain level of the movie where I was like, oh, there's nothing fun left for him to say because he's just delivering like the best news ever attitudes. Yeah, but yeah, I don't mind it being like all positive at the end because that felt very like it felt like a beautiful legend almost like that's the magical realism for me. But I just wish Tony Shalub got to be funnier. He kind of just had to say whatever at the end.
Speaker 3: Yeah he was. Yeah, totally agree. My final traged is for glorifying a CEO. Yes, billion dollar corporation. I just think we're at a We're at a point in society where no, no to that. I think there's ways you could make little little cutting remarks about about the CEO. Just totally maybe this guy is an amazing person. Great, I just don't really believe it. Yes, I don't know that you get to running Pepsi Co by being like an angel. Again, perhaps perhaps I'm I'm being anti CEO in my commentary and my perception, but I think that's also where it felt a little bit like, yeah, unnuanced you know the rich two thousand and three even was a different time to now, but totally Stephen. At the time we were like, hey, I don't think billionaires are supposed to exist. I don't think that's the best.
Speaker 1: Totally. My final tragedy is Christian. Not Christian. You're Christian Protestant. Are you kidding? Vague Christian? Come on, let's see some Mexican Catholics up in here.
Speaker 3: Come on, is lighting a candle a Catholic thing? Or is that a Christian? Generally?
Speaker 1: They were lighting a candle.
Speaker 2: No, I know.
Speaker 1: That's why I was so surprised when they said pastor, I was like, what. But to be honest that I noticed the candle that they lit was just a plain white candle. It wasn't like a votive yeah, with Marianne it or anything. So I shouldn't known.
Speaker 3: I shouldn't known.
Speaker 1: Well, now that we've traged Protestantism, I don't know about we now that we've both traged Protestants.
Speaker 3: Sure, honestly whatever, yeah, why not?
Speaker 1: Catholics have done terrible things also, Okay, Leona, let's move on to our next segment, which is, of course, how to pretend you've seen this film. This is for you are at the at the chip in the chip aisle, choosing which chips you want. You're getting an assortment, you're getting spicy, you're getting salty, you're getting a chi hintu BlimE, getting an assortment for a party, and uh, what was what was Matt.
Speaker 3: Walsh Matt Walsh's character Lonnie Mason, Ronnie, Lonnie, Lonnie, then l Lonnie.
Speaker 1: And Lonnie comes up to you mm and he says, and he's white by the way he got up to you. And he says, he I just saw a pretty interesting movie, A pretty interesting movie about the inventor of the inventor. Well, some people say, of Flame and Hot Cheetos. My favorite character was that CEO because he was so nice. He was so nice despite being so rich. And that's what I want to be.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: It's a really inspiring film for that reason. I really want to be like Tony Shaloub. The movie was called Flame and Hot. I'm gonna tell you all about it.
Speaker 3: And in order to assemble Lannie into a line that's nowhere near you and put him in a box and ship him away, we're gonna give you a few sentences you can say to pretend you've seen the film Flaman Hot. Yes, Lannie, I've seen Flaman Hot. This movie introduces a very important topic of conversation that I do think we all as a society need to be discussing, which is that identical twins should not be wearing matching outfits, because if they are, they will bully you and your lunch choices.
Speaker 1: It puts them in an evil position.
Speaker 3: It's an evil position. It's the shining a film I have not seen.
Speaker 1: Yes, Lonnie, I have seen the film Flameing Hot. Fun fact, the film's budget is estimated at less than one percent of Freedo Lai's sales of spicy snacks in a single year.
Speaker 3: Whoa, I've already clocked Lonnie approaching me in the chip aisle from the corner of my eye, and I see that he's getting closer and closer and then far too close, and then is speaking at me. And before he even opens his mouth, I say to him, Okay, I can see you're gonna be a weird one.
Speaker 1: I love that line.
Speaker 3: I love that line.
Speaker 1: I love that line. Yes, Lonnie, I have seen the film Flame and Hot. Let's just talk about it. Is it true that he's the one who invented it?
Speaker 3: Does it matter?
Speaker 1: I enjoy this as a movie. Wait?
Speaker 3: Is that contested it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? It's oh yeah, oh no. But this is why I'm glad they made it a movie, because it's really it's really it's really the story and what we can learn from it he's still a lot of what he did was true, it's just not it's contested whether it actually is the reason Friedo started Freedo Las started producing.
Speaker 3: Okay, it uh huh.
Speaker 1: But he's still like pitched to Yeah, he still pitched to like the CEO or higher up or whatever about the Mexican American community, you know, and he ended up moving up. I think he ended up being working the machines and things like that. I don't know if he did end up being an executive. It's all really confusing.
Speaker 3: But do you think they had to get approval from Freedo lay on this?
Speaker 1: Siday? I wonder about this.
Speaker 3: It did feel pretty pro Freedo lay like. It was never quite anti capitalism. They were a little bit anti corporate, but they were never like the company is evil. It was Reagan's fault. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a great question. They definitely in order to talk about they must have to get some approval even to do logos and stuff.
Speaker 3: I assume, oh true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what, I don't know anything about that.
Speaker 3: More people should be saying that it's so brave and important to say that it's okay to say that. Yes, Lannie, I've seen Flaman Hot. I'm gonna quote one of the sweetest lines from it that in this situation is actually the opposite case. There's no me without you. Now again, Lonnie, that's not what's going on here. There's very much me without you, which is what I'd like to be happening right now. But when he says that to Judy and he's like, You're like the whole reason I'm here. Oh sweet.
Speaker 1: I loved that. I loved the way that we see like a team supporting each other like that. Yeah, like it's a family, it's a family affair. I really loved the family in this actually, also in terms of it being a movie that could be considered pandury, I just found them to be very authentic and cute.
Speaker 3: The family Yeah yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: Versus like you're so strong, you go to work every day, You're so true.
Speaker 3: And she did feel like a more rounded character than just wife who supports husband. I really is that true?
Speaker 1: Am I just saying that I felt that way?
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, okay, great.
Speaker 1: Yes, Lonnie. I have seen the film Flame and this was the glorious Ava Longoria's directorial debut. Ooh, and fun fact, she briefly worked in the fast food industry herself. It didn't say where she worked. I would love to know.
Speaker 3: Was she in it for one second as somebody's secretary.
Speaker 1: That's a great question.
Speaker 3: Did you peep an Eva Longoria?
Speaker 1: I thought I spotted Apparently apparently the montagnees is we're both in it at some point. Oh that's fun. Yeah, Oh love that, which is cute.
Speaker 3: I love when they put a real life person in.
Speaker 1: Me too, just a second. I love that, well, Leanna Shell. And move on to our next segment, which is, of course, should you watch this or where we tell you if you should watch this film or if you should do anything else with your time?
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, I think I would say sure you can watch it. If there was anything I was going to recommend instead of it, it would just be another similar thing where they're like, it's fast paced and they're narrating quickly. But almost all of those involve like are mainly about white people. So I think this one's a nice take on the genre. But from a different perspective, I would say you could watch this or you could really just house a bag of Dorito's. I'm sorry to support free Delay, but they make delicious. They're good.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 3: I loved in that food documentary that was like, yes, food is softer now and it's evil and like it's designed to make us addicted to it. But also like, yeah, I eat Cheetos. They're delicious.
Speaker 1: I love them.
Speaker 3: I'm a human woman, Like, of course I'm gonna have a bag of tostitos hint of lime. I would say, yeah, have a bag of your favorite chip on hand. Seanna, what would you say?
Speaker 1: I think this movie was real fun. I love Eva Longoria, so I support her.
Speaker 3: We love that career.
Speaker 1: We gotta watch real women have curves. Okay, I would say that you could totally watch this movie. I had fun. I love the how it's made environment, like the factory environment.
Speaker 3: It's fun, it's interesting, it's a peek behind the curtain.
Speaker 1: I also, I just I really enjoyed this movie. I really did.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 1: The one thing is Tony Shaloub. When he arrived, I thought he was going to do a lot more than he did. Yeah, and that was objectively disappointing. But besides that, one thing that you could watch if you want to support Ava Longoria and you want to support you want to explore the nuances of what it means to be Mexican in America and know your culture and things. You could watch clips from Desperate Housewives of Ava Longoria, especially her daughters. Okay, there's there's a scene where her daughters find out their Mexican because they didn't know because their family never talks about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so anyway, you should watch that. Leapers are really chomping at the bit to get me to watch Desperate Housewives. I've never seen it.
Speaker 1: It is so fun I loved Housewives. It was my pandemic show. There's also a day where she finds out what salad is. It's all very problematic, but it's also really funny.
Speaker 3: Beautiful.
Speaker 1: Also, I would all say so gorgeous.
Speaker 3: It's sickening. Yeah, I mean her hair is so famously good. Yeah, I love her.
Speaker 1: She's so fu Sienna.
Speaker 3: What would you rate the film Flame and Hot?
Speaker 1: I'm going to give Flame and Hot uh four cheetoh tumblers out of five. I really really enjoyed what I enjoyed. I screamed many times. There was so much I loved about this movie. Yes, legitimately confused, they didn't represent the Catholicism. I just my my experience of my culture is just so. My family's so Mexican Catholic, so.
Speaker 3: It's yeah, yeah, I was just looking.
Speaker 1: For myself, as everyone always is. I get the but uh, I thought it was very fun. Some of the ceo stuff, the capitalism stuff was a bit concerning. I was sad about Tony Shaloup, but I had agree time. Yeah, had a lovely time. And I think I'm gonna buy some cheetos later.
Speaker 3: What about definitely gonna fuck up a dorito?
Speaker 1: And then I also, I must say, I have to say quickly, all of the the articles and stuff about if this movie is true make me really mad and sad. Yeah, they're all like it's probably not true, and I'm like, just let this man.
Speaker 3: That's like all the stuff that's coming out about Sinners where they're like qualifying its success. It's box office success, but always found the other bullshit statistics and it's like, shut up, it's doing well.
Speaker 1: I just enjoy the movie. Enjoy the movie anyway. Yeah, all right.
Speaker 3: I would give flame and hot. I think also four four burritos out of five, four homemade burritos in aluminum foil. God, it sounds so freaking good. I think I was gonna give it a three, but I think that's just because I'm really hungry right now. But I do think I enjoyed it a lot while watching it.
Speaker 1: It was a delight.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Again, it's just like that imperfect kind of lionization of a billionaire. I do agree it's troubling. But I thought the acting was so good. I loved the main actor. I thought he was so fun. Yeah, flipping a door Judy, she was so gorgeous and so good. And the music I thought was really fun. Yeah, the paycing was good. Yeah, a lot to enjoy here. And a good story. Yeah, I as a white woman, thought this was just what a great story?
Speaker 2: Fun?
Speaker 3: That's what I would say.
Speaker 1: Have we talked about the clip of what's his name? The guy the comedian on Instagram doing NPR watching NPR watching don't you?
Speaker 3: Oh, I think I've seen it.
Speaker 1: I have said I want to seen it two million times where he's like where he's.
Speaker 3: Like so fun? Oh yeah, absolutely, yes, Yes, that's.
Speaker 1: How I feel as a white persons fear so fun, so fun?
Speaker 3: What is this?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: Everybody, thank you so much. This has been our episode on Flame and Hot. Uh. We have been toss Popcorn. You can find us on Instagram at toss Popcorn. You can follow us on Patreon, where we review all sorts of things. Maybe we'll watch Sinners who knows.
Speaker 3: You can? You can check soon for an upcoming post about a film Siena work done.
Speaker 1: Oh hell yeah yes and join us next week when we will be watching stick It.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, thank you, we love you. Bye bye.
Speaker 1: You can find us on Instagram as at Sienna Jaco and at Leanna Holsten. Please check the description for the spelling of our dumb names. We put out episodes every Tuesday, so make sure to subscribe so that you don't miss an episode. See you next week on Tossed Popcorn. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, check the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: Here's a Pope question for you. Would you if you were invited to the conclave? Would you go?
Speaker 1: If I was invited to the conclave? Hell, yeah, of course? Really Okay, I mean I don't think anyone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if they were, like, we changed the rules and women can come in and also women don't have to have like splifications.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can just be there.
Speaker 3: Well, do you want to like vote and weigh in? No?
Speaker 1: Yes, I don't know.
Speaker 3: If i'd want to vote, I mean or sure, absolutely one of the would be completely based on anything a name. I'd do a write in ballot.
Speaker 1: Who are the people you know in the world?
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah? Who do I want to be the next Pope?
Speaker 1: Would you most likely vote to be the Pope?
Speaker 3: Charlie XCX.
Speaker 1: If she's like abortion as brat, then the Catholic would be like work.
Speaker 3: Work yeah, mm hmm. And the smoke can be lime green.
Speaker 1: If the smoke is lime green. You know, Charlie XX was appointed pope.
Speaker 3: And XCX is her Pope XCX, whatever that is.
Speaker 1: I actually love this. I think she should consider it.
Speaker 3: Let's reach out, Charlie