Speaker 1: Welcome in the Ravens Press Pass. Today, we'll hear from running back JK Dobbins, wide receiver Rashad Bateman, and head coach John Harbaugh. Let's start with running back JK Dobbins.
Speaker 2: How do you feel physically right now?
Speaker 3: I mean, it's been a while since the injury play?
Speaker 4: Ye know me physically? How do you feel?
Speaker 5: I feel amazing. I feel pretty dang good. I'm'a just leave it at that cause I feel so good.
Speaker 6: JK.
Speaker 3: When we asked John at the beginning of training camp why you weren't practicing, he said, that's a JK question. So we'll we'll ask you straight out. Why why weren't you practicing.
Speaker 5: At the beginning of training Uh, that's a tough question.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: I was just you know, being cautious.
Speaker 5: You know, my teammates need me, you know, so I wanna be there for my teammates, you know.
Speaker 4: And that's all it was.
Speaker 5: You know, my teammates understood, you know what was ha what was going on. So it's all good now I'm out here.
Speaker 3: That difficult was I?
Speaker 7: I guess the decision both now and when you play after sea four weeks.
Speaker 3: When you how did you I guess that.
Speaker 4: Oh I was.
Speaker 5: I was here the whole time. I was here the whole time. I was going to meetings right right, Sorry, but I I had to practice. Oh that was you know, that's tough. That's always tough for me cause I'm a guy who who loves to play football. I love playing football. I love being with my teammates out there, and they love when.
Speaker 4: I'm out there. So it was it was super tough, you know.
Speaker 5: But we got through it, you know, and we'll we'll continue to get better as a team, you know, with me out there, and it'll be great.
Speaker 4: It'll be a great year. It's gonna be a great year.
Speaker 8: Take a you get to your confidence, your optimism around the type of year when.
Speaker 3: You can have this year.
Speaker 4: You said, what did you speak.
Speaker 8: To the confidence the end the optimism you have around the type of season and you could have this year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm pretty confident.
Speaker 5: I'm pretty that confident, you know, especially coming off of you know, the end of the year last year, when a lot of people could see that I wasn't all the way with one hundred percent healthy, but still had some pretty good games there. But I always say, like those those games that I had good games could have been even better if I was one hundred percent. So you know, if I get the volumes some of the other guys, it'll be it'll be a real good year.
Speaker 3: Lines.
Speaker 9: You were pretty honest at the end of last year about wanting to have a bigger workload, wanting the ball more.
Speaker 3: It's a new office.
Speaker 9: Coordinator, new offense. How confident are you is that you don't have a bigger workload, then they don't.
Speaker 5: Have a defens Well, what I mean by having a bigger workload is like if the game is going like if we're running the ball good, you know, that's all I meant. Like I didn't mean like I don't want to be a ball or anything like that, Like whatever, what if the game is flowing and I'm hot, let's let's let's rol you know what I'm saying and stuff like that. That's what I meant, you know. But if the game is going good in the past game, let's keep passing it, you know. So that's all I meant, you know, And you know, hopefully I have a hot hand this year, and everyone has a hot hand. So defensive coordinators are having nightmares and they see the ravens on the schedule because we have so many weapons. We have an amazing quarterback, you know, we just we have an amazing line, like amazing defense.
Speaker 4: We really have a lot of tools here. So hopefully it'll be good, a good year for all of us.
Speaker 9: KJK it mentions that you weren't you feel her percent last last year?
Speaker 5: Do you feel her per cent as we're speaking right now, Yes, sir, I do, and by one hundred percent, like one hundred percent. I mean, my knee felt good, my body felt good, but I didn't have the off season that I needed to to be me, you know, so I didn't have all my speed there and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: But now it's a little different, yeah, JK.
Speaker 7: Obviously the business side of the NFL is very tough, but seems to be even tougher now for running backs.
Speaker 3: How has it been for you as as a person that's.
Speaker 5: In a contract situation like that, It's been a blessing, you know, because for me to even be in a situation in the NFL, you know, a lot of people will dream of being an NFL and for me to even be talking about a contract another contract is as a blessing, you know. And with the with the whole running back thing. Like each organization knows who they have, you know what I'm saying. Each each organization knows who they have as a whole team. So you know, each organization stands alone, you know, like guys like Sakuan and those guys.
Speaker 4: Those guys are amazing.
Speaker 5: Guys, and only that organization knows what to do with that situation, you know. So whatever the next organization wants to do with the with the running back they have, they feel special about them, then maybe they pay them. You know, you can't say that because like Christian McCaffrey makes a lot of money, you know. So I think it's all about what the organization wants to do. And far as me, I love I love it here, you know, and I always want I want to finish my career here. I want to be I'm a one, I'm a loyal man, so I only want one team. So hopefully that happens. But you never know what God has planned. So we're just gonna keep going, keep playing playing good football.
Speaker 4: That's it.
Speaker 6: You and you have had productive conversations with Eric about the possibility be here, beyond this here or is that.
Speaker 3: Just on a hold enough? Uh?
Speaker 5: Yeah, we the conversations. You know, mister Eric is he's a great He's a he's the best gym, the best gem in the game, you know, So he'll get it worked out. Whatever happens happens. You know, he's gonna get it worked out. We have good conversations and I and I have much respect for mister Eric and mister Harball, coach Harball, everyone, mister Steve.
Speaker 4: So it is what it is, you know.
Speaker 5: But I'm you know, when the time be, I'm gonna go out there and play and and do good, you know. So hopefully I'm playing for the Ravens for the rest of my life, my football career.
Speaker 4: Jake k you you preach positive usually.
Speaker 5: There were a lot of negative reactions to your absence.
Speaker 3: Did you shield yourself from that?
Speaker 5: How do you take that in when there are those who are critical of your stands?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 5: A lot of a lot of people don't really know what it takes to be in a position as as I am, and you know what it takes to just go out on the field. You know, it could be pretty dangerous and things like that. And you know, with that being said, a lot of people don't like didn't like what was happening. No one even knows the truth that was what was happening, right, So I see that and it I see it as a positive thing because God chose me to be the people throw all the stuff at me, the dirt on my name and stuff like that, and I did see a little bit of stuff.
Speaker 4: You know, like oh, what is he doing? What is he doing? This and that.
Speaker 5: But at the end of the day, I do think I'm pretty good at football, and the numbers will say that and things like that. So I'm positive about it always because at the end of the day, the people who really love me, who really help me, that's the only thing that matters. And the people who genuinely care for me, I care for them back. So even if even if a person is rude to me or anything like that, I'll just pray for him, you know. I'll pray for those people that were talking negative about me, because that's not gonna bring me down. I've been through too much to care about what someone I probably don't know says about me, you know. But to those people who say great things about me, I'll do, like I'll literally do anything for any of the good people I don't know who's all good here right now. But if you are, if you needed any help for me, I would help you, right So that's why that's why I stay with it. You know, I would always help like anyone like, if you ever needed help, I would make sure to help you. Unless you just straight out rude to me, then I can't help you. Sorry, you got it on your own. But nine times out of ten, I'm gonna help you. So shame on those people who talked about me, because I do feel like I'm a great guy and that I would do anything.
Speaker 4: I would do a lot. I would do a lot for people you know that need help.
Speaker 5: So always always man, I I I do think that healthy. You know, I can be one of the top backs in the league. And that's that flashes that flashes sometimes, you know, but I just gotta prove it, and I'm gonna prove it one day.
Speaker 4: One day. It would happen more.
Speaker 10: In in Todd's offense, you know, it's pretty clear that the running backs might be more of a receiving and your just what are your thoughts on that and what you bring to the table there?
Speaker 4: I mean, y, you see, you see, I know I gotta say you can see it. You'll you will see it. You know you will see it. You'll see it.
Speaker 3: Lomore Jackson right before the season last year. So we're just done with this stuffing laugh on the scene.
Speaker 4: Is that going to be your approach as well? We'll see, you know.
Speaker 5: Uh, Like I said, each person stands alone in that type of situation, and I I if that that worked for him, that works for him.
Speaker 4: We'll see.
Speaker 5: We'll just see what God has planned for you know what's happening. I just hope I'm raving for life, That's all I said.
Speaker 6: Going back to Landover given your work, your life, your career kind of behind you. You said, what you're going back to Landover FedExField, you know for anything after you if it it's like a.
Speaker 3: Part of your kind of story behind here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, man, that was that was a great thing for me to go back, you know, just to feel like in it, like just to feel and see everything again because that.
Speaker 4: That was a hard time for me. But it's also a blessing in disguise. You know.
Speaker 5: It made me a stronger man, made my face stronger, It made me a better person, you know, and so I it sucked at the moment, but now that I look back and when I went back there, I was just it was it was all smiles because I made it through that. That was a hard time and I'm still getting better from it, you know, and it's a blessing.
Speaker 1: Next up is wide receiver Rashad Bateman.
Speaker 11: I think it's still good to get back out there with the guys. So just still getting a hang of things. So it feel good to be back out there.
Speaker 3: We've had various coaches saw us. They have seen you be on a roller coaster, you know, in the last year closer closer year. How how would you describe it?
Speaker 2: I would definitely say that it's been tough.
Speaker 11: Uh, it's been a battle, but I'm happy to be here, blessed be part of this organization.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 11: My teammates have had my back the whole time, so uh, very thankful for them. And you know, I guess we'll see what this year holds.
Speaker 4: We're shot, I'm sorry, We'll think. We'll give the work first questure.
Speaker 3: But the how do you feel that the foot feels at you at at.
Speaker 2: This moment, it feels good.
Speaker 11: I feel strong better than I was uh during Ota, So making good progress so far.
Speaker 7: Come close to a hundred percent of what you said, you.
Speaker 2: Feel ninety nine very close.
Speaker 8: I remember sit, they they've they've added a bunch of pieces and this is an exciting proceiding course.
Speaker 3: Just how excited are you about.
Speaker 8: The potential where you fitted with this group with all these pieces around you, How how that can help you.
Speaker 4: Succeed as well.
Speaker 11: I'm happy with the new pieces that we added. You know, Odell is a you know, both incredible receivers.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 11: We all bring different things uh to the table. So you know, new offensive coordinator top monkey, and he's using us very well right now. So I'm definitely excited to see what we can do week one and the rest of the season.
Speaker 7: Mentioned Odell with two things on him. What what's he brought from we? Uh, obviously the catches in the round right hand s w But what's he draw up you know, inside locker room, inside practice and.
Speaker 11: So forth, and both I would say, brunts of swag and personalities to the locker room, not that we didn't have it, but Obj is OBJ, so you know he's gonna bring that energy with him. It's gonna changeous. You know, we all feed into it. So you know, he's been good for the locker room for sure.
Speaker 7: And then what's what's that like when he was with fans are out here channing his name. You know, he's he's obviously a pretty certain level of the start up.
Speaker 11: I mean it's the same. It's the same for us. This is the same for you and the kids. So I still don't really understand it, but I kind of do. But you know, it's obj So and Lamar Jackson on the same team, So I think you go hear a lot of that this year for sud H.
Speaker 10: How did last season and missy much of the year, how did that change you.
Speaker 1: As a person, as a player, and and br do you know where you are now?
Speaker 11: I would say it changed me a lot. I ain't never been through anything like this before, never been hurt, uh, especially two years in a row. D have some off the field, you know, personal issues too, but it's been fine. You know, I'm here, I'm excited, I'm ready to go. So I'll ask for and so far and how.
Speaker 3: Does it change?
Speaker 1: Is very different?
Speaker 10: Hunger level?
Speaker 7: What what is different?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 11: Just taking you know, these are the cars that was D dealt to me, you know, so I gotta deal with that, you know, stay in my lane, keep working, keep grinding.
Speaker 2: That's all I really could do. Control out and control to those to.
Speaker 3: Those who're saying now that you're you're injury prone, or that you have to prove that you're not an injury from or what I mean?
Speaker 4: Does that?
Speaker 3: Does it irritate you? Do you shut it out?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 6: How do you r?
Speaker 3: How do you deal with that?
Speaker 2: I don't really care?
Speaker 4: It is what it is? Should I could?
Speaker 3: Could you kind of take us through the I guess the decision making.
Speaker 7: Process last year that looked like you might have gotten hurt a couple of weeks before you a can have the surgery where you just kind of.
Speaker 3: Trying to play through it. Hope it they heal on its.
Speaker 4: Own or what hop?
Speaker 11: Yeah, I did get hurt and then I tried to play through it, and then I heard it more when I tried to play through it, so obviously I needed surge. I couldn't push through it anymore. So, uh, in that end of my year.
Speaker 7: Shall like you said, you haven't gone through the the last two years, the things.
Speaker 1: You've gone through, the jury?
Speaker 3: Why did you haven't gone through that before in your football career?
Speaker 7: How frustrat you hasn't been to deal with those issues on the field, especially when it's something.
Speaker 3: You got to deal work before.
Speaker 2: All, like I said, is very frustrating.
Speaker 11: But you know, I guess it happened to me for a reason, and I'm here to see what that reason it's gonna bring.
Speaker 4: What shull?
Speaker 3: Did you feel like you had productive conversations?
Speaker 4: Been there at the Costa.
Speaker 1: After and uh little.
Speaker 4: Think I'm playing?
Speaker 11: Yeah, yeah, he said his piece, I said mine. We had a conversation and now we're best friends. So it's kind of how things work around here.
Speaker 3: Do you feel like this is where you should be right now? Like I mean, or you or you?
Speaker 2: I love Baltimore. I love everything about it.
Speaker 11: I love my teammates, the chemistry, and I love my coaches, position, coaches. I love everything about it. I'm in the NFL. You know, I'm blessed. I'm playing my dream. You know what I'm saying. Everything's not gonna be perfect. I'm not gonna be perfect, the coach is not gonna be perfect. You know, we're gonna have all battles. But at the end of the day, long as you can communicate, talk it out, you know, make sure everybody's on the same pace.
Speaker 2: Then it all work out a real time.
Speaker 9: Although you've gone through the challenge, do you feel like there's been any.
Speaker 1: Profens come from it?
Speaker 11: Yeah, I definitely, uh say matured me. And I don't even know what ways that is, but I definitely can feel it.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 11: My approach to the game, my approach to life, Uh, just taking it, you know, one day at a time, not thinking too far ahead, you know, uh, just enjoying what I can, my family, my friends, you know, and just cherishing the game with all my heart.
Speaker 9: Throw shall would have been your impressions with Todd Monking and his views on the passing game.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 11: It's very different, so I don't wanna say too much, but you know, hopefully some good things this season for sure.
Speaker 8: Sorry, cause it's there's been a lot of talk about Paul, the receivers that have been added.
Speaker 3: Is there enough to go around for everybody? Was kind of your feeling on that now being and kind of a a loaded offense.
Speaker 11: Now, I'm here to see just like y'all, i'm'a see how we go do it. I just wanna be there with everybody to get their ring. I don't really care who, you know, got too many catch catches and touches. I just wanna be a part of the something big.
Speaker 3: Wish I wasn't meaningful to you and uh remarking what you might.
Speaker 2: Receive the word that stuff.
Speaker 11: For sure, you know, my teammates still believe in me. They know my capabilities, they know what I can do. I've done it before, I do it in practice, you know. Uh, it just sucks that the injury has been in the way in a way for me to prove it to y'all and everybody else. So hopefully, you know, third time it's the charm and charm city, So we'll see, we'll see.
Speaker 3: Just curious to your captain, was that something.
Speaker 11: I knew somebody would ask about that Me and my friends got it in twenty twenty, Uh, when George Floyd passed away. I was in Minnesota at the time, and Fafrican Americans there was just a very tough time, and you know, it's still a tough time for us. So you know, you got to really find your lane out here. And man, my friends got a tattoo to kind of remind us to stay humble, you know, remember each other, and never forget where we'd come from.
Speaker 1: Now you'll hear from head coach John Harbaugh.
Speaker 6: Good day today, and we're kind of in the middle of a short week. We're getting ready to head down to Tampa to play the Bucks in our last preseason game, so we're trying to get prepared for that. But we're also at the same time pointing towards the Houston game and trying to get focused on that as well. We do have a few decisions still to make in terms of the roster, and then also guys are playing for opportunities here and everywhere else, so there's a lot of steak going forward, and but really trying to focus on having a good practice day today and tomorrow and then go play the game on Saturday. So what question do you have if you we.
Speaker 3: Fans out there?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it did it did It felt kind of quiet, you know, kind of we have a we have a saying b yoe right, bring your own energy, bring your own enthusiasm. So, uh, we had to do that today. Then they got the dirt out here, you know, they got to get the I'd tell you this is the greatest organization ever. Right, not only do they resawe the fields, they reside the resaw the side grass. You know, this is Steve Bushatti is the best.
Speaker 5: John Obviously, the left dog battle has been something you be talking a lot about.
Speaker 3: You feel any better about that pending decision now as we.
Speaker 10: Get closer to the end.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, I think we've got a good handle on all of it.
Speaker 8: All.
Speaker 6: You guys have all played well and we're still rotating guys. You saw in the last game we moved some guys around and got them work in some different spots. So we'll continue to do that, probably through the last preseason game because it's the way it goes during the season. But we'll probably wait to make any kind of like announcements. If we do before the first game, we'll make them after the next game with respect, you know, for what we have to do Saturday night.
Speaker 7: Think that those positions want to solve before you have it sold in the seasons or something that.
Speaker 6: Competition, you know, that's a great question.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 6: I think when you go, when you go in, you go and you know planning it for it to be settled. I mean, you know that's what you want. You want it to be. You want to go well, and you want those those guys to be cohesive and work together and become a unit. But also with the ability for guys to plug in and not have any kind of drop offer any change at all. So really we're working for all that stuff. So I think your que the answer your questions. Yeah, we want to work, you know, we want to be great, but we'll also be working for all the variables.
Speaker 10: You got rocket scene and other corners back on the field today, you feel like obviously good about them being back.
Speaker 1: In the amount of time they have to ramp up threek.
Speaker 6: One, I do I do. I think they've got to go to work, you know, they've got to keep picking up speed and all those kind of things, get their get their technique home. That's a lot of time to be out. But by the same time time they were in great shape before so though, and they've been in all the meetings, they've been in the walkthroughs, so they should be up to speed mentally. So I feel really good about where they're at.
Speaker 3: We didn't see Andrews out there, So he's dealing with some kind of.
Speaker 6: Interest thing, nothing serious. He's just uh, he's dealing with something that we're kind of working through right now. Wave got a few weeks two week, but if you anticipate Lamar Jackson playing the last preseason.
Speaker 4: Game at all.
Speaker 6: You know he wants to, I can tell you that much. So that's that's really all I have to say about that.
Speaker 4: Is that?
Speaker 6: What is that? What Forrest Gump said, It's really all I have to say about that. We'll leave it at that. A Forrest Gump quote. H.
Speaker 3: JK. He's been out there, but it's been.
Speaker 7: In this weekend saying now what I what did you see that?
Speaker 4: As him?
Speaker 7: But the more important as the guys ramp up seeing that process.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's a great point. And we're gonna want to see JK. I mean, Jk's looked fast out there, He's looked good. Give him more and more work here in the next two weeks. I think he's gonna be taking tons of reps and getting ready to go. H he's not gonna play in the last preseason game. You know, he probably wouldn't do it anyway, you know, based on what happened last time. So he'll be ready to go in the regular season and and uh, we'll get him ready.
Speaker 3: Then you've talked about how hard you saw Bateman work to come back.
Speaker 6: Who were maybe a couple of the signs that you saw along the way that me to say, I think this is going well. That question well, I mean, you know, I don't know. It's just it was where he cared so much. I guess i'd probably if you can say a sign quote unquote, he just cared so much and there was some emotional roller coaster. He'll probably tell you that. You know, there's some emotional roller coaster through that whole process, and he had to kind of deal with that and the only only an individual can deal with himself. You can't do anything for him that way. But he kept fighting, he kept working. He looks really good out there, and I'm expecting him to have a real great season.
Speaker 3: I think, uh Gino and Chamara or not.
Speaker 6: Chamar has a sprained ligament in his knee. It's multiple week kind of deal, so he won't you won't see him Saturday. U Gino's okay, just got a little sore with the ankles, so we just kind of held him out todays.
Speaker 3: Respect your side.
Speaker 6: Think the the screws out of the having that surgery down.
Speaker 4: It's religious BN last year.
Speaker 7: I mean, this is kind of a fascinating of an Areo pending for whatever it comes.
Speaker 3: When he's actually technical contact.
Speaker 4: Was what could have happened pay back from that with rank injury?
Speaker 6: You know, it's a very fair question, but I don't know the answer. I think this is kind of what we expect him to be back. That was what the conversation was all along. But you know how it is. It's always challenging, it's it's ever easy. I'm just happy that he's back and he's practicing and he'll be ready to go jump.
Speaker 9: You know they haven't been here too long, but Clowney and Darby, how have they looked now with a few practices over the Belton?
Speaker 3: Do you want to see them in the last preseason game like you.
Speaker 6: Know I do, Yeah, honestly, And again you know, those guys are talking to me like they want to go, but we've got to talk about that kind of as a staff and organization. Also the player weighs in, you know, what's best for them to be ready for the first game. And you know, I don't know that we'll make those decisions on some of those either or guys until probably you know, Friday Saturday.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to Ravens Press Pass. Make sure you're subscribed and leave us a rating and review. If you don't mind and check out the Lounge podcast with myself, Ran Mink and Garrett Downning. We are going to give you our fifty three man roster predictions. To make sure you check that out. Thanks for listening, be back with you tomorrow