Speaker 1: Welcome everyone to this Sunday Morning run. It is Sunday, September seventh, and we are hoping to get your Sunday started with some inspiration. We like to go over our quotes of the day from our morning run, and we're going to begin with Monday and a quote that actually is simple, but I think very powerful. It's from Neil Donald Walsh and he said life begins at the end of your comfort zone. What do you think about that? DJ?
Speaker 2: Neil donald Walsh.
Speaker 1: You know, I get a lot of these from authors. Authors are apparently really good with words, and apparently they're really motivating. So I've found authors I've never heard of before suddenly popping up when I go and look for quotes that are motivating. And this one was something that really jumped out at me.
Speaker 3: What kind of an author was Neil I'm going to have because I'm trying to get I'm only asking as a matter of you know, I'm sorry that I shouldn't have done that, idn't There's not a problem.
Speaker 2: No, I can pop it up right now.
Speaker 1: But he is actually a He is of the religious He was Catholic, and he talks about he has a series of books called Conversations with God. He's also an actor. He's also a screenwriter. He's eighty one years old. He's from Milwaukee, Wisconsin. But he has a bunch of books about friendship with God, conversations with God, communion with God.
Speaker 2: So this is he is.
Speaker 1: He is a religious based author. And you know, it's just interesting to hear his his quote that had nothing to do with religion or nothing. I would never have thought that he had religious connections.
Speaker 3: What don't we all, I mean, everybody listening right now, aren't we all trying to get comfortable? Yes, no one has a desire to be uneasy, because that seems counterintuitive. Nobody wants that. You all want to be comfortable. How terrible is that? And what I mean by that is where do you grow? I mean, we know this now. You have to live enough life, but you just simply cannot get better. You can't improve, you can't you can't win without discomfort. You have to be uncomfortable. It is required, and so it's just in our minds. We're all seeking a life of particular ease, if you will. But yes, I love what this author did say and how he put it so simplistically. But that is where the living begins. There is where the adventure begins. There's where the growth is. Wherever you have been uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, think about any Olympian, any just think about even physical discomfort. I think he's talking about a lot of things. But even if you looked at it from that place, you don't get to be excellent. You don't get to be at the top of your game unless you've been physically uncomfortable, whether you training and making your body what it can be.
Speaker 2: But your mind and your heart are the same.
Speaker 1: And it's only when we're uncomfortable that we go when we seek help, and we seek advice, and we try to find a better way, whether it's through therapy or through leaning on a friend. But you start to realize what I'm doing isn't working, and that's why I have to grow. And so yes, I agree, whether you're pushing yourself in any way mentally, spiritually, physically, it kind of almost takes you getting uncomfortable before you're willing to change and willing to do something differently or better or push through the pain to get to the other side. So I love that life begins at the end of your comfort zone. That's when you're living. Otherwise you're just kind of existing.
Speaker 3: Don't we say that about relationships even when we're what is the thing? You get? You have an awful conversation and then it leads to a breakthrough, right, and now everything is okay, and now we're on the other side of something because we had to be uncomfortable first. Yes, it's yes, it's counter into it what we're supposed to seek discomfort, but it is necessary.
Speaker 1: It's a nice reminder when you are uncomfortable, that you're living and that you're growing, and that you're going to do something about it. And I just it's nice to know, just to remember life begins at the end of your comfort zone.
Speaker 2: All right, we're going to move on next to the uh the age.
Speaker 1: Old quote, this one coming from Buddha and again a very simple quote but so powerful. Buddha says, this be where you are, otherwise you will miss your life. Ain't that true? And aren't we a lot of times somewhere other than where we are?
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is silly. I don't know why I'm having these. It's maybe because we're a little loopy. We've been up a little while. As we were recording this and had a good, nice brunch. I'm thinking about Eddie Murphy in raw stand up, and people are getting a little insight into my mindset. You have to deal with this all day long with me. Every scenario that comes before us, I can come up with a movie line or a stand up comedians line.
Speaker 1: Sometimes you say things to me and it feels a little harsh or a cerviic and you have to follow up with that's a movie line. I'm actually quoting a movie right now. Would you do often? At least once a day?
Speaker 3: Okay, this is gonna sound ridiculous to you, because I don't think I've watched this in thirty plus a years. As a kid, I used to sneak and watch Eddie Murphy raw at the house.
Speaker 2: I can see why you had to sneak it.
Speaker 3: I'm not supposed to be watching this, of course. Okay, he's saying something outlanded, yes he was, But something he said in there. He was talking about a man and a woman breaking up, and a man asking his woman where she's going? Well, where are you going to be?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna be where I'm at?
Speaker 3: It was the line. Yeah, So with this quote, where are you going? To be where are you? You need to be where you at is essentially.
Speaker 2: That's what said, is not quite the same way, not like.
Speaker 3: Eddie, I'm an be where I'm at. Why can't we ever do that? Just be where you are?
Speaker 1: Because we're thinking about what we should have done, what we could have done, and what we need to do, and what we're supposed to do and what we're supposed to like and what what was that we said we were going to do. Yeah, we're never exactly where we are, and that's why we're miserable. That's why we're suffering, because when you are actually present, you are being childlike we today actually at brunch, we're watching kids skip and play. They are they are light, they are free, they are having fun because you know what they're not doing thinking about yesterday or tomorrow. They're actually exactly where they are, and that is what the goal is. So yeah, it's just if you can, if we can just wake ourselves up and remember I love just watching kids. They remind me more than anyone to be present.
Speaker 3: You know, It's funny you were and I'm sure I was going to stop you in the middle there, because I'm sure some adults were listening to you now and say, well, yeah, those don't have bills to bay Edel's get And yes, true, that's that's fine, But damn if that's our response.
Speaker 1: But you're not paying your bills when you're you know, like thinking about your bills. Right when I'm at lunch, I should just be at lunch and actually enjoy whatever is around me. Because the thing is we think, oh, if we're not worrying or thinking about something, that somehow it's not getting done, you're not actually getting anything done worrying or thinking about it. So that's just a reminder, Buddha, thank you.
Speaker 2: You know how many years ago, thousands of years ago. I don't need I don't have a concept of that.
Speaker 1: Okay, the next one comes from an unknown source, but I love it all the same. And we've all heard versions of this, but again, a good reminder. Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being excited about what could go right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but when you do that, you're setting yourself up for right, for failure, for disappointment. I'm only saying that as a matter of that's what people often do. We don't want to think about the upside, we don't want to think, well, what if this first state really goes well, we'd rather temper our expectations so that we're not so disappointed. Why I said it all the time, No, I'm going to expect the absolute best. I am going to hope for the absolute best. Why not have the high expectation.
Speaker 1: I actually think some of the most fun parts of something new, whether it's a vacation or a new job, or going on a new date or whatever it like, the anticipation of something is sometimes a lot more fun than the actual.
Speaker 2: Experience of it.
Speaker 1: So why not go ahead and think positively and be excited about it because at least you had those moments of joy. Even if it doesn't hold up or it doesn't live up to what you thought, at least you had those moments thinking it might, and then maybe the next time.
Speaker 2: You can also keep.
Speaker 1: That same positivity because there's nothing good that comes out of fear of things going wrong. It doesn't change, it doesn't stop things from going wrong. It just makes you miserable anticipating it. So I love this. I don't think there's anything wrong about having excited expectations.
Speaker 2: Of what could be.
Speaker 3: But so to your I think you put it best in explaining getting ready for whatever the thing is, and you think it can go right, it can go wrong, and you stress yourself out thinking it can go wrong before the thing even happens. That's not fun. But what if you were to get excited about it and use that time to be you can make that.
Speaker 2: Part fun exactly.
Speaker 3: So even when once the thing comes, just gonna be what it is, you guys, we'll have a good time getting ready for its miserable.
Speaker 2: Getting ready for exactly because it might still go wrong. Yeah, but you'll deal with it when it does. And in the meantime, why don't you go ahead and manifest it to.
Speaker 1: Go Well, that's how I look at it, all right, all right? This next one, it comes from a Pulitzer Prize winning author. Another author his name is Carl Bard. Did not know who that was either, But I'm actually having fun going in and learning who some of these folks are who say these really interesting, provocative things sometimes or just simple things oftentimes that are just thought provoking and game changing. So Carl Bard said this, though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.
Speaker 2: That's awesome. So even something as simple as something happened.
Speaker 1: In your day that turned things negative.
Speaker 2: You know what.
Speaker 1: Okay, fine, you can't go back and change it, can't start over. But what I can do is, right now, in this moment, decide to have a brand new ending. We all get to decide that at any point during the day, when we first wake up, in the middle of the day, at the end of the night, whatever anything in between. It doesn't matter whatever happens that didn't happen the way you wanted it to. We can start anew right now and create a different ending that's.
Speaker 2: In all of our power. That's so cool to think about it like that.
Speaker 3: And it's tough to keep that in contact well, the right perspective because something you did two weeks ago, two months ago, two years ago, a beating yourself up about right, Yeah, you're still beating yourself up about it. You're still word like, wow, I should have done I could have done that differently, if only I'd done that differently. But the story is like this moment. It can be different from this moment moving forward. So yeah, I love the simple way. Whoever this author you said was this is the unknown.
Speaker 2: No, this is Carl Bard.
Speaker 1: He is a Pulitzer Prize winning author, so he actually someone yeah, who we can all lean on.
Speaker 2: With some words of wisdom.
Speaker 1: So yes, thank you, we appreciate that, Carl. Once again, though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. So take that with you because that is very empowering. Love that, Carlbard, Thank you so much. All right, So when we come back, we are going to hear from another author surprisingly who's going to tell us where we can focus our energy. And then for our bonus quote of this Sunday Morning, Ron, we're going to hear from Leonardo da Vinci. Before we go to break, I have to tell you about new leggings I've been living in lately. They're from this brand called Tona, and fun fact here, they were actually designed by the same visionary behind Lululemon, So from that alone, you already know they're going to be pretty good. These leggings feel like a second skin. They're super flattering, super comfortable, and somehow still supportive. I've been wearing them on my warning runs and they've quickly become my everyday lounging leggings. Too, and here's what makes them even better. Every pair you buy helps fund a mental health counseling set for a teen in need. Tona's on a mission to end teen suicide and self harm, which we think is so important and incredible, So we've partnered with Tona to give you twenty percent off your order and free shipping. Head to tonaactive dot com and use code iHeart for twenty percent off and free shipping. Welcome back everyone to this Sunday morning run where we hopefully give you a little inspiration to start your week. And on this Sunday we will begin with another author. His name is Neil Bearingham, again an unknown for me. I did not know who Neil Baringham is. We can get into that in just a moment, but this is what Neil had to say that really gave me a new beginning on a Friday. The grass is greenest where you water. It sounds very simple, but we always talk about the grass is greener, and we talk about envy, we talk about jealousy. But if we can actually take that and turn it on its head and realize we actually have the power to make anything that we love be something beautiful, we can invest in something and make it great and make it not that you want to make.
Speaker 2: It the envy of everyone else. But this is the.
Speaker 1: Notion of what you appreciate, appreciates. The grass is greener where you water it.
Speaker 2: I love that quote.
Speaker 3: Oh no, they got some nice grass over there. Everybody, you see what everybody we say grass. But it could be somebody's car, somebody's job, somebody's wife, somebody does, somebody's family. All well, so whatever, it may be anything that somebody can be jealous of. You look and you're jealous of what somebody else has. Why aren't you cultivating? Why aren't you taking care of your own things? Look, we all get caught up in that, of course, sure, but I like the again, the simple way that this author put it. What if you just took care of your own stuff?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: It's funny.
Speaker 1: So there is a I'm looking at a cartoon where they were taking what this quote said and showed a man.
Speaker 2: Standing on a.
Speaker 1: Like a lawn of grass that's dead, and looking at a lawn of grass that's green. It says what people want, pointing to the green grass, and then it said what people don't see, and it sees the guy on the lawn that's dead and brown and looking at the grass, and this is what people don't see, and it shows the man watering his grass and like working on his grass and making it beautiful. People just think people get lucky or people just have things. But actually, when you recognize that if you work for something and you actually take care of something, that's where the beauty and the joy and the love and like, you get something worth something when you put into it.
Speaker 2: And I think we all.
Speaker 1: Just you know, it's just it's a nice reminder that if you put effort into something, it is going to grow. If you take care of something, it is going to be beautiful, including relationships.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Bonus quote. This one comes to us from Leonardo da Vinci. You haven't heard this one yet, have you.
Speaker 3: I intentionally do not look ahead.
Speaker 1: Of times, all right, So I'll let you respond to this. The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what do you make of that?
Speaker 1: So my takeaway from this was that we think this judgment, it's about judgment, and we think we're right, we think we're better. We have our opinion about what should be, what could be, and then we suffer because it isn't what we think it should be.
Speaker 2: What do you take from this quote?
Speaker 3: Oh, I had to just break it down a little bit. I had to h and I pull it up on the computer so I could actually see it again. I'm hearing it for the first time from you. You're deceived, right, We're usually about deception, usually deceived by something or some outside force. But that deception usually has to do with right altering your idea of what you already see, believe, or think. And so to think that most of the time the alteration of our perception of what's going on has really just formed in our own heads of what we believe we're seeing. So to this the idea. It took me a second to break it down. But yes, we deceive ourselves all the time. I you know, I talk to you about this all the time, deception because you have an opinion about what you think I might mean by what I said. You're not being deceived by anything I said. You're being deceived by an opinion of something. So I it took me a second to break this down. I need to see it in front of me. But yeah, that's dead on and this was how many years ago?
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't I there was a reason why I had a journalism major because math was not my strength. But Leonardo da Vinci and I do think that is a good point, Like we all also, you could, you could, this could be even deeper than that, kind of taking off what you said. It's we all create our own narratives to fit how we're feeling. Right, So we are deceiving ourselves because we we in every the lens through which we remember things or see things or hear things, it's not what actually happened, it's what we thought or we perceived to be happening to justify maybe how we're feeling, or at least to justify how we're reacting. And so yeah, we're our own worst enemies, period, but our own opinions. Yeah, if we can open up our minds in our hearts to recognize that we see things, all of us hear things, see things, and interpret things through our own lenses that typically fit or at least we try to have.
Speaker 2: Them fit our feelings. So that makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 1: The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinion. So Leonardo da Vinci, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: And thank you for listening to us on this Sunday.
Speaker 1: We hope you got some insight or Lisa inspiration from some of these quotes, and we hope you'll check in with us Monday through Friday on our morning run. I'm Amy Roboc alongside TJ.
Speaker 2: Holmes.
Speaker 1: Have a great start to your week, Everybody,