Speaker 1: And now prop my mic back like.
Speaker 2: We can strike.
Speaker 1: Head borders behind.
Speaker 3: In the.
Speaker 1: Just tuning in the civic cipher. I'm your host, Ramsay's jack. He is Ramsay's jaw. I am to ward.
Speaker 2: You got back the civic side.
Speaker 1: From did you? Are?
Speaker 4: That?
Speaker 1: A lot more in store for you, so be sure to stick around. I'm still talking about stereotypes and how they impact our lives and shape outcomes. Are going to be talking about protesting while black. This is a big one, uh for us, because how do we change the world if we are not able to make our voices heard or if that act appears criminal and the optics surrounding it make us appear more sinister than we actually are. Listen, rams If you don't like it here, leave that. That's that's that's unacceptable, because that would be me failing you, my non black brothers and sisters. You deserve better than what you've been own. We're also going to discuss some the roots of some stereotypes in our way black history facts to stick around for that as well. But right about now, let's take a break and let's talk about becoming a better ally ba Ba. So today's Baba Baba is sponsored by Unknown Union, the fashion how situated at the intersection of meaning, innovation, and culture. More info checkout Unknown Union dot com. I'm going to be reading from Essence magazine. A skate park, A skate park sorry in California, has been named in honor of Tyree Nichols, a black motorist who was killed in January and what prosecutors said was a fatal beating by police in Tennessee during a traffic stop. Obviously, we talked about Tyree Nichols, and still talk about Tyree Nichols. I'll keep reading. Nichols, who was an avid skateboarder, spent much of his time as a youth at the park on the outskirts of Sacramento. City officials and others held a ribbon cutting ceremony for the newly renovated skate park, now named for Nichols. Associated Press reports the twenty nine year old moved to Memphis, Tennessee, shortly before the coronavirus pandemic in twenty twenty and resided with his mother and stepfather. He enjoyed past ten. He enjoyed photography, especially taking photos of landscapes and sunsets, and one of the cool things that happened. Many of you may know that I host a podcast for iHeart and Black Information Network. Q sometimes guest hosts on this podcast, and Q actually was able to interview Tyree Nichols's good friend Jerome Neil Junr, who I believe was involved in this effort, and you got to talk to him for a little bit, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a difficult conversation to have because again speaking in the past, tense about Yeah, he wasn't a kid, he was a young man, but in the very very early sunrise of his life and so much that he didn't get too experience again once again, because of that suffix wild black, wild black, driving, skating, teaching, living, shopping, eating. When you put wild black on the end of all of those things, we collectively understand what's coming. Yeah, what's coming the rest of that conversation. Now listen. Okay, we're going to talk about protesting now. But I don't want this conversation to sound to you, our listener like.
Speaker 1: Woe is me. We believe that we can all be better to each other.
Speaker 2: I think it is criminal that we have to qualify it like yeah, but because there are people that will hear this and very apathetically, their minds will go right to, ah, woe is me?
Speaker 1: They're always complaining and no, no, no, no, I think that's that's the perfect way to kind of seg because they're always complaining is often the attitude adopted by people who want nothing to do with it? What is this? What is the saying that we hear so often to the I'm paraphrasing. I don't know if this is exactly it, but to the privileged, equality feels like oppression, and I believe it's something like that. And so voicing our concerns or complaining, as as this imaginary person might call it.
Speaker 4: Is.
Speaker 1: Perhaps annoying, right, and so they want what they get often from the media, which is what we're talking about today when it comes to protesting, which is basically an amplified version of complaining. So I appreciate you setting me up for the segue here protesting while black Now, Q and I were on another radio show called The Beatlock with a good friend of ours shout out to poke Face. This was a recent interview that we did and we were asked about the origin story for this show here Civic Cipher and for those that don't know the origin story. This show was based out of the protests of twenty twenty. Q and I would.
Speaker 4: Show up to the protests for obvious reasons, but also at the time, Q and I were radio personalities on a hip hop station.
Speaker 1: I get we are, We're on way more hip hop stations now, but this was our occupation. We were DJ's radio personalities. This is kind of what we did. We were nightclubs and we talked on the radio, right, So being out there, we felt like, hey, we should probably capture some of this magic, some of these narratives, some of these conversations, and put it on the radio so that we can combat the narrative that is being chronicled by the news outlets saying that we're out rioting. These are not riots, as illustrated by the fact that we are here with our children, and indeed many of our allies are here with their children as well. There's no riots, there's no smoke, there's no burning, none of this sort of stuff. Right, But we would go home at the end of the day and watch the news and we would see that it was reported that there were riots, and it's like, well, that didn't happen.
Speaker 2: Very overtly splinted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, negative.
Speaker 2: Kind of violent inciting.
Speaker 1: So what would happen is police would end up cornering certain activists and they were targeted because they had the facial recognition stuff. And this is we're talking about our city in Phoenix. You feel free to check this out because they've had to come out and a mid all this stuff. But they had facial recognition things that they set up on different corners. I have a couple of businesses downtown, so I was down there every day this was happened, So I saw this stuff. They had the sound canons and all the police presidents and all that sort of stuff. They were targeting specific folks. I suspect they weren't targeting me and you because of our higher profile and our capacity to.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know, because our profiles are a lot higher now now. I think they weren't targeting us because the proximity to our children made us move very very.
Speaker 1: Carefully in the space. Perhaps that was it, but I know for a fact that. But I know for a fact that at least my name was on those people's radar for being there. Again, no crimes, nothing like that.
Speaker 2: And sometimes when you're there and you look like you there's the crime.
Speaker 1: Go ahead and say it. So we're telling our story, we're describing what's going on, and then the narrative that we're seeing on the news is that it's criminal activity. The police were picking off protesters here and there. They'd turn the wrong corner or be going to their car or whatever, and then the police would swoop in. Other folks would see it and try to go and help and protect, because again, you got to understand the climate of the country at that time. You see police running after someone black, immediately you're like, oh my god, the worst could happen. This happened to us when we were pulled over in Mississippi. Everybody people were crying because they were fearing the worst about what could have happened to us based on what they were seeing our Internet of our interaction with the police. Now, parts of those clips were being shared and then it was, like you said, they were kind of skewing the conversation in such a way to suggest that the protests were unsafe. The police and the protesters were fighting somehow, which isn't true. The police have guns, protesters have bullhorns. It's not the same. You know what, I mean, But this is kind of what helps the media keep the viewership of the people who really want it to be true that black people are always complaining and that, you know, the people that have the privilege to whom equality feels like oppression.
Speaker 2: But you know, the really interesting thing is, even for those who are the most cynical of our position and really really feel like, you know, like again, whatoe was me and you guys are always complaining, how our law enforcement responds, it's very very telling, you know. So the people are probably wondering about the wild black part, especially considering so many of the protesters here were not black, except the cause they were standing for was real black, very black, and therein lies the difference, even quote unquote their own are treated the way that we're treated if you're standing up for us. And the largest example was January sixth, because prior to that, when the idea was Black Lives Matter, protesters will be present, the police militarized themselves tanks, riot gear and came out in recognition and came out in mass I'm not even talking about the technology. I'm talking about the physical president with big guns and big guns and full gear who make sure we didn't show up and harm any property. January sixth, a date that they were made privy was coming. They were told we're gonna go, not just show up, we're gonna go take over, and they were conspicuously absent. Because white supremacy has a very hard time checking white supremacy a very hard time.
Speaker 1: And that's a bar. All right, let me give you this. So we're talking about riots. We're talking about protesting that are described as riots and then fed to the masses, and these things helped shape public opinion, and this is what leads to stereotypes. Okay, doctor King, he's known for his non violent, peaceful protests, his marches, right, he's known for that. Now he is not known for that. When he was doing he.
Speaker 2: Was known for it then, he just wasn't celebrated for it.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a good way to say it.
Speaker 2: However, it's infamous for his marches house speech, sure when he was alive.
Speaker 1: So watch this. There would be let's say he did five marches. There might be a skirmish between the protesters and the police at two of them, and in our estimation it was probably provoked by the police. But that's all that's necessary.
Speaker 2: For this time, I do mean to cut my brother off because of his grace.
Speaker 1: I love Ramses.
Speaker 2: He said that those skirmishes were probably yes, I paused on purpose, that Mike did not get up. Those skirmishes were probably started or instigated by the police. There's video, people, we don't have to use probable right, I guess we have to. You know, what are they say in court allegedly even when.
Speaker 1: They have videos?
Speaker 2: So yeah, I'm going to say those skirmishes, skirmishes, sorry, were allegedly started by the police and their dogs and fire hosers and billy clubs.
Speaker 1: And yeah. So while he was alive, folks like to challenge that narrative that he was a peaceful, benevolent leader type of individual, hence his twenty percent approval rating among white Americans and critically his twenty percent approval rating among Black Americans. Right, so stereotypes can't affect black people as well. Now, of course we know the end of that story. Doctor King is, as you mentioned, Q celebrated for his non violent approach to changing at least that time in American history or the better for marginalized people. Right. But it wasn't until after his death that the government took it seriously and actually changed some living what might have been. It wasn't Nixon. What's his name? I can't think of his name anyway, one of the presidents changed the laws after his death because there were so many eruptions around the country after that, so protests. Doctor King said that a riot is the language of the unheard. Now there are people that push back and say, listen, you need to be patient. You guys need to be patient. These things move slowly. The wheels of society turned very slowly. This is a long road. I say that I occupy a different space, but yes, you do. Yeah, I occupy a different space. But I can say that because I'm indeed marching on that road. Someone else in a position of power cannot say that to me because they don't get to define what justice should be like or how long it should take. And I want to quote James Baldwin. Actually, do me favorite. You can read the James Baldwin quote, because I know you love this one.
Speaker 2: I might get this quote tattooed because I do love it. And it is a quote that Ram is laughing as he says he knows I love it. Because Rams encourages me and reminds me that this is a that this progress is slow, and that we should be patient and one step at a time, and YadA, YadA, yad. And this incremental approach to this progress that could over by way of legislation, just be changed is insulting to me. James Baldwin said, and I quote it has taken my father's time, my mother's time, my uncle's time, my brother's time, and my sister's time, my nieces and nephew's time. How much time do you want for your progress right the multiple lifetimes of our ancestors. We've already given that time. You've already taken that time. In what world do we get where we're going? Do I pass away knowing or having some type of understanding that for my grandchildren things will be different, that things will be better. That's still a question.
Speaker 1: I think I'm going to add to it that you're saying that it is possible to change overnight. So I think that that statement in and of itself suggests more than suggests that it is very possible to make huge sweeping changes, not just in terms of laws, but in terms of public opinion and how we interact with each other over the course of a lifetime to where a person could see the world is in a much better place than it was when we started. Hence my frustration. Sow, I'm with you, So watch this now. We talked about protesting because often enough, protesting is the language that we have that is has been relatively consistent in terms of our plight, in terms of our arsenal toward achieving a more equitable America. Let me say what I'm gonna say, watch this when we want to vote, sometimes that's taken away from us. There I countless black men permanently disenfranchised because they've been they're convicted felons. We could talk about that that is almost grotesquely unfair, but permanently disenfranchised. We can talk about access to voting. We can talk about jerrymandering, weakening the strength of the black person's vote, which weakens the value of the black person's experience in terms of input to the relative to the overall American experience. Right, And so protesting is kind of that last vestige, that last tool that many people feel like they have, and for that to then be villainized and conflated with rioting is exceptionally unfair and it's based on stereotypes that I do want to challenge. Now, I want you to jump in right here, but I got some examples. It will help me challenge this idea of what a protest is.
Speaker 2: God, I guess my problem is more with the idea that protesting is somehow still a vehicle for us. I don't think it is.
Speaker 1: Now. We do it kind of a lot of a duty. There's no outcome.
Speaker 2: We don't leave city Hall after our protests, and then they text us like okay, you guys came out. We heard you, Like, no, that doesn't happen, right, So it's more a symbol of solidarity in a way for us to err our a grievances and our frustrations amongst each other. The lawmakers and the policy makers, they don't come out to these protests, listen to our plight here, our points, take that back to their body and make changes based on that anymore. And once upon a time, I think the idea of a protest was so scary, right, there would be in some cases like boycotts and strikes. There are fiscal damages that happen. People lose money and they respond to that. But that's just going up in mass upset does not tend to really move the needle like it once did.
Speaker 1: Now, I'm not going to disagree with you, but I can't wholly agree with you there. I think that there may still be some value. But critically, if you have no other form of representation in terms of the government, then showing up with your person and the sign is not nothing. Sitting at home is nothing.
Speaker 2: I did not say it was nothing, right, and I also did not say it didn't have value. Yeah, it's just not the vehicle that it once was. Sure that you can quantify that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to make sure that because I, like I said, I'm not going to disagree with you, but I want to make sure.
Speaker 2: That we say that for our listen, it has qualitative value, not quantitative.
Speaker 1: Now here's what I want to do for folks that take issue with riots. First off, earlier we're talking about you know, uh, shopping while black right and and how stereotypes work, the the the stereotypes that black people steal right. But the truth is that that other people steal from black people culture. Of course, liberty as I mentioned, right to vote, access to you know, representation, et cetera.
Speaker 2: Wealth.
Speaker 1: This country story is littered with massacres, riots and legislation and so forth, terrorism, black codes, Jim Crow redlining, the g I Bill, et cetera, of stealing wealth from black people, stealing.
Speaker 2: Very intentionally to not just happenstance. Weren't collateral damage, we were the target.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to take from us, right, life, stealing life from us. We talk about black life being snuffed out all the time and people getting away with it with no consequence.
Speaker 2: Of creation intellectual property.
Speaker 1: But even if it's not go on, even if we're not talking about murder, we just talked about the prison industrial complex. People get sentenced unfairly in this country. It's stealing life. Okay. Now black people have the stereotype, but I don't think that that's entirely fair. I'm going to make another point here, like people have a stereotype of being aggressive rioters when we're protesting. So I'm gonna read some stuff about riots for sports teams around the country that celebrated or I guess rioted after this form of celebrations or of loss. I'm just read these just so you know, and I want you to ask yourself, why is there no stereotype that these people riot? But why is there a stereotype to black people. I'm gonna read Denver Nuggets. Obviously they won the national championship recently. This was a couple weeks ago, maybe two hours later. Thousands went to McGregor Square and destroyed it. In Boston in two thousand and four, two thousand and seven, and twenty and thirteen, the Red Sox was the baseball team. Everybody got out there and rioted all three of those years. Boston, Okay, Detroit. Nineteen eighty four, Detroit has a team called Tigers. They probably played some cool sport. And then the Detroit Tigers are a baseball team. Ooh, that's what I was on, all right. And then nineteen ninety the Detroit Pistons. That's a basketball team. I know them. In twenty eleven, the Vancouver Canucks lost the twenty eleven Stanley Cup to the Boston Bruins, and fans trashed parts of the city, causing millions of dollars in damage. Philadelphia Eagles they ride all the time in Philly. Chicago. In nineteen ninety one through ninety three, that was basketball. Denver in ninety six the Avalanche is the hockey team. Ninety eight the Broncos ninety nine, two thousand and one, the Avalanche hockey team again and in Cleveland in nineteen seventy four baseball team. All Right, sit with it. It's sound for the way Black History Effect sponsored by Underground Beach Club from the streets to the beach, the finest in beach where visit Underground Beachclub dot com. Today I'll be reading from the National Museum of African American History and Culture slash the Smithsonian. Shout out to our people over at the Smithsonian for working with us all the time. We're discussing widespread and pervasive stereotypes of African Americans.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Stereotypes of African Americans grew as a natural consequence of both scientific racism and legal challenges to both their personhood and citizenship. In the eighteen fifty seven Supreme Court case tread Scott versus John F. A, Sandford, Chief Justice Roger B. Taney discussed the humanness of those of African descent. This legal precedent permitted the image of African Americans to be reduced to caricatures in popular culture. Decades old ephemera and current day incarnations of African American stereotypes, including Mammy, Mandingo, sapphire, Uncle Tom, and watermelon, have been informed by the legal and social status of African Americans. Many of the stereotypes created during the height of the Transatlantic slave trade were used to help commodify black bodies and justify the business of slavery. For instance, an enslaved person forced under violence to work from sunrise to sunset could hardly be described as lazy, Yet laziness, as well as characteristics of submissiveness, backwardsness, lewdness, treachery, and dishonesty historically became stereotypes assigned to African Americans. The Maimi stereotype developed as an offensive racial caricature constructed during slavery and popularized primarily through minstrel shows in sad slave Black women were highly skilled domestic workers working in the homes of white families and caretakers for their children. The trope painted a picture of domestic workers who had undying loyalty to their slaveholder as caregivers and counsel. This image ultimately sought to legitimize the institution of slavery. The mammy stereotype gained increased popularity after the Civil War. War and into the nineteen hundreds. During this time, her robust, grinning likeness was attached to mass produced consumer goods from flower to motor oil. Considered a trusted figure in white imaginations, Mamey's represented contentment and served as a nostalgier for whites concerned about racial equality. The Pole Milling Company's incartionation of the smiling domestic aunt Jemima became synonymous with the mammy stereotype. In eighteen ninety nine, the company hired real life cook Nancy Green to portray the character at various state and world affairs. The stereotype and the overweight, self sacrificing, independent mammy figure would grow alongside the American film industry through works including Birth of a Nation, Imitation of Life, and Gone with the Wind. All Right, Uncle Tom Uncle Tom, written by Harry Beecher Stowe in eighteen fifty two, featured the title character as a large, broad chested, powerfully made man whose truly African features were characterized by an expression of grave and steady good sense. United with much kindliness and benevolence, He forfeits his own chance at escaping bondage and loses his life to ensure the freedom of other slaves. It's a much different idea of what Uncle Tom means in the black community today, all right. The stereotype of Uncle Tom is innately submissive, obedient, and inconstant desire of wide approval. The term became popular during the Great Migration, when many Southern born blacks moved to northern cities like New York, Chicago, and Detroit. With them, they brought codes of condom expected and hostile Jim Crow environments. The stereotype was first publicly recorded during an address by Marcus Garvey's Universal Negro Improvement Association member Reverend George Alexander MacGuire in nineteen nineteen. Do not call a black person and uncle Tom unless you know what you're talking about. That is a serious accusation. Please be very careful to deal with that, all right. Sapphire The sapphire caricature from the eighteen hundreds to the mid nineteen hundreds popularly portrayed black women as sassy, emasculating, and domineering. Unlike the Mammy figure, this trope depicted African American women as aggressive, loud, and angry, and direct violation of social norms. The Sapphire stereotype earned its name on the CBS television show Amos and Andy, an association with the character Sapphire Stevens, airing from nineteen fifty one to nineteen fifty three with an all black casts. Sapphire Stevens was the wife to George Kingfish Stevens, a character depicted as ignorant and lazy, fueling Fire's rage. During the Gym Crow period, when blacks were often beaten, jailed, or killed for arguing with whites, these fictional characters would pretend chastise whites, including men. Their sassinus was supposed to indicate their acceptance as members of the white family, and acceptance of that sassinus was implied that slavery and segregation were not overly oppressive. Watermelon before it became a racist stereotype in the Jim Crow era, watermelon once symbolized self sufficiency among African Americans. Following emancipation, many Southern African Americans grew and sold watermelons, and it became a symbol of their freedom. Many Southern whites reacted to this self sufficiency by turning the fruit into a symbol of poverty. Watermelon came to symbolize a feast for the unclean, lazy, and childlike to shame black watermelon merchants, Popular ads and including postcards, pictured African Americans stealing, fighting over, or sitting in streets eating watermelon. Watermelons being eaten hand in mouth without utensils made it impossible to consume without making a mess, and therefore branded a public nuisance all right. Last one Mandingo, the black buck, conjured by the minds of enslavers and auctioneers to promote strength and rereading ability and agility of muscular young black men. The mandingo trope was born while under the violence of enslavement, a physically powerful black man could be subdued and brutally forced into labor. Emancipation brought with it fears that these men would exact sexual revenge against white men through their daughters, as depicted in the film Birth of a Nation. The reinforcement of the stereotype of the Mandingo as animalistic and brutish gave legal authority to white mobs and militias who tortured and killed black men for the quote safety of the public. Headlines of newspapers across the nation beginning around the turn of the century, document a phrenzy of arrests, attempted lynchings, and murders of black brutes accused of insulting or assaulting white women. I feel like this is kind of the reason that they were able to rile so many people up and take the life of Emmettil. Heavyweight boxing champion Jack Johnson epitomized the mandingo or black brute of white imaginations in the flesh, called a beast brute and a coon in print, Johnson's relationships with white women took up as much newsprint as his fighting abilities. With his nineteen ten victory over James Jeffries, promoted as the great White Hope, Johnson brought white fears to a head. The result was weeks of riotous mob violence across the nation that left thousands of African American communities and lives in ruin. So that's just a handful of stereotypes that the origins of a lot of those stereotypes, and they've evolved and they've taken on news shapes, but you know, those are harmful. They shape outcomes. Clearly, we talked about I mentioned Immettil. You know that had they not been coerced into thinking something that wasn't true.
Speaker 2: They didn't really have to be coerced.
Speaker 1: I think they got what they wanted. Yeah, and that was just what we.
Speaker 2: Like to call now just They're all things they already believed being confirmed, confirmation, bias and biers.
Speaker 1: Well, a lot to think about today. I'd like to thank you all for tuning in once again to Civic Cipher. I'm your host, Rams's job. I am.
Speaker 2: I am continually, perpetually, mentally and emotionally exhausted because these things are true every day, not just when we crack our microphones to tell you about them. And so many of the things that come across our desk we don't even get to talk about.
Speaker 1: Sure, we left a lot on the cutting room floor, as it were, but we do appreciate your continued support and hit us up civicipher dot com. Follow us on social.
Speaker 2: Media, like comments, share, yeah, easn be critical to talk to us.
Speaker 1: Yeah we talked about and give me a favorite, Send you some love, all right, and until next week, y'all please this y'all like Yo, we handle it. These brothers are fabulous.
Speaker 3: Our lady showing you where room traveled this world speak tone from sunlight to move busting on stage like gonna fights the back row my mic back, and like that journalist with journalists too, we can strike back a horb borders with orders from head borders behind in the beline side step and the borders the press passing.
Speaker 1: We bring it to you as it.
Speaker 3: Habits the streets, love popped in from music and wrapping the street compland the slash week expando. You're gonna fight the slander with the proper propaganda.
Speaker 1: What's happening, it's hot.
Speaker 3: You've got a question to ask if the deuse is just a TV show you're passing. And this from a white wartime journalist headlines wait, got pre pace and resist like this like this, like this, like