Speaker 1: What's up, everybody.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the Draymond Green Show with Baron Davis. B D is not here today, but we have a guest today, NBA Champion.
Speaker 1: And so every year I do this.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't necessary to say I do this, but we put it together at Michigan State where we do grind Week and all the pros come back. We hoop, we work out with the guys, we kick it like the next generation of guys, the guys that's on the team.
Speaker 1: Now we do this whole thing.
Speaker 2: And I actually got that whole idea, the whole premise, forget the idea, the exact thing of what it is. I got it from our next guest. When I was first second year in the league. Brought me down to Dallas. He didn't play in Dallas at the time, but brought me lived in Dallas, brought me down to Dallas, literally, pay for flights, pay for hotels, showed us a great time. She's kind of took me under his wing, and I've been forever grateful ever since.
Speaker 1: This next guest.
Speaker 2: Now, I will go on to say, unfortunately this man beat me in the twenty sixteen finals, but if we were gonna lose somebody in the twenty sixteen finals. It's my guy and an og in this been doing it for a long time, one of the grace to do it, none other. I'm happy to have this guest. Uh, none other more Gotti, Mo Williams, what's happening to my brother?
Speaker 3: What's happening? Man? I appreciate them kind words. Man, it's I'm forever grace for your friendship, always have, always will be proud of you, ma'am proud of you. I feel like an og because you're an og og. Now you came in and you know it's all It's all.
Speaker 1: Love, absolutely, bro.
Speaker 2: I still like, like I just said, I go down to Michigan State. Uh, and you know Travis used to come down with me, and like we created Grime Week at Michigan State, like people don't know like grind We that like that been long to my waves.
Speaker 4: Like yeah, taught me that and like bringing.
Speaker 2: Down there to work out to who love over to your crib barbecue. I had never seen a crib like that, Like outside of Joe Dumar's crib, I had never seen a crib like that.
Speaker 1: And so I just know, man, forever grateful.
Speaker 2: I hope I hope you can appreciate that I took your idea and continue to moving forward.
Speaker 3: Because, no doubt about it, man, that was huge for me in my career, no doubt about it. Man. I appreciate it. Man. It was some good time. We had some good we had some good work. And that's the thing about it, man. People don't know. It wasn't we were just hanging out, man. We were working, were getting we were working. We were grinding. Man, we was getting better. You know, we was getting back in shape.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: It was one and the more. That's what grind was about.
Speaker 4: It was about that moment where we needed to get back to work.
Speaker 3: So we came in, pushed each other, working out all day, and then we hung out at night, you know, with fellowship. Man. It was all love.
Speaker 1: It was perfect, bro. I appreciate it. Uh. I can't thank you enough.
Speaker 2: But obviously, as we know, game four of the finals just and there. Yeah, he tied it up to too.
Speaker 3: I got okay. See, you can ask everybody rhyme and trait I had, okay, see from day one, from day one, I had them. I had I said, listen, man, a ball tough. I figured I figured, uh before this series started, uh that it wouldn't go more than five, but Indiana snuck that snuck Game one.
Speaker 4: They didn't supposed to win Game one.
Speaker 3: No chance, they didn't supposed to win, and they lost it exactly, you know. And then they they came and you know, took care of business game to it. Then game three, Indiana came and took there. They gave him confidence, gave confidence.
Speaker 1: But this game right.
Speaker 3: Right this this this was this was the game. And Indiana trick this one all the way off they did they did.
Speaker 1: You know, it's crazy.
Speaker 2: I saw I put on I put on my threads account at one point during the game, like this was during the third quarter. Actually, okay, c doesn't look like a team that believed like like like.
Speaker 1: They they they did not believe they can win.
Speaker 2: When I was watching, what it looked like to me, was you watching the boxing match?
Speaker 1: Were watching.
Speaker 2: Whoever you you call it, Bud Crawford versus.
Speaker 1: Why am I trying to blink right now? H versus Earl Spence.
Speaker 2: When I went to that fight, and I was there live in person, when they went into that fight, in the first couple of rounds or the first round, it looked like bug trying to.
Speaker 1: Figure it out, didn't really know what they expect.
Speaker 2: And obviously we know Earle got crazy power, like Earle has lived on like his power.
Speaker 1: Is crazy, and you could see that in the fight.
Speaker 2: And then all of a sudden, Earle caught Bud with his best shot and Bud was like this, And from that point on, Bud pressed forward because he knew you already caught me with the best shot you can catch me with and it didn't even daze me.
Speaker 1: It didn't stunt like, it didn't stun me.
Speaker 2: So for the rest of the fight, I can just press forward because even if you catch me with your best shot again, I can.
Speaker 4: Just walk through it and ain't gonna fall back.
Speaker 1: Fact and for the first three quarters of that matchup.
Speaker 2: OKC looked like that, where Indiana's just kind of doing whatever they wanted to do when they want.
Speaker 4: It's a page.
Speaker 3: It's the pace. I'm telling you, Indiana have an unbelievable case. Okay, see was trying to play at that same pace. They can't play that like that because it doesn't benefit Shale. He needs to play at his pace. It ain't slow, it ain't fat, it's his pace. He needs to have a flow more than a pace. It just needs to have a flow so he can get it, get in his spots, slow it down and get to his elbows. But Indiana get that bitch out so quick and he they're gone.
Speaker 4: Getting it up up the court.
Speaker 3: Now the other thing, Okay, see they in a lot of iol situation now Indiana. You watching Indiana. They got a lot of action. It's a lot of movement. They creating a lot of movement. Okay, See defense is really good. When Indiana gets staggnant and they able to load up, they able to get them gaps.
Speaker 4: They ain't able to get them gaps when they got all.
Speaker 3: That movement and getting the ball of fat. But what happened was late in the fourth quarter, when every basketball game in America slow down, it benefits shape. Now it goes into the guy they got and that's when that guy came to work. So long as the Indiana can keep that pace up, they had advantage. But when the game slow down, they in trouble.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: By the way, I'm in Cobo, So for y'all, that's like, Yo, he's sweating or he looked crazy. The sun is crazy and I sweated. I've been watching outside having me a cup of drinks.
Speaker 3: You talk about it, you hot, and outside you be inside in the air condition. Man.
Speaker 2: No, no, I watched the game outside, man, at the bar. You gotta wash the game over here at.
Speaker 1: The bar more. You gotta count check it out, man, you go down.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna come out there.
Speaker 3: Man, I'm gonna come out there, get some dates and see what's going on.
Speaker 1: Just telling you, come on down here, check it out.
Speaker 3: His hot.
Speaker 1: It's a good time. Man. So I watched it at the bar, you know.
Speaker 2: So when I come in here sweating, I heard some of y'all saying crazy things last episode, like, Yo, why is he sweating?
Speaker 1: I'm telling y'all while I'm sweating. But I actually watched the.
Speaker 2: Game with PG, me and me, and PG was down there washing the game and when it was eighty seven to eighty or eighty nine to eighty, one of those screens, and I said, either take the lead to fifteen or.
Speaker 1: It's going to zero.
Speaker 3: Really, what you saw? What you saw that made you feel like that.
Speaker 1: Both teams was just hanging around.
Speaker 4: Like I had it was a pass.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were exactly and what so what I saw was Indiana really dominating them. They got them mentally, they got them physically dominating them. But you look up. You up seven at the end of the third. Now you should be up thirteen at the end of the third. But a lot a couple of players here and there get away. You let the j Dove get to join at the end of the quarter, right Like, those things change a game at this level. Regular season, even first round of the playoffs, you can get away with those things.
Speaker 1: But this is the NBA Finals and those types of things change this.
Speaker 3: So right now, y'all.
Speaker 2: Are really dominating this game, but you only up seven points, and I think at that time Shay got like twenty points, twenty points or something like that. You have to push that lead at that time. Obi Toppins the one hitting the threes, right, like Obi Toppins hitting the shots. It ain't even Pascal or Tyree's hitting the shot. So you got your other guys hitting the shots at that time. You got to extend the lead at that time and they need it. And so for me, when you if you leave the game, and while I'm watching that, and while I said that, if you lead a game within striking distance like that, then what's gonna come down to at the.
Speaker 3: End is who got the game?
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, who got the best score?
Speaker 2: And we obviously all know who got the best scorer in this series. And they allow them to let it become their game. If you push it to thirteen, push it to fifteen, they can't.
Speaker 1: Slow the game down.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 1: Got to go, go go, And that's.
Speaker 2: What it will tell you. I need to go because we ain't got that much time. We down thirteen, were down fifteen. It's the fourth quarter. I gotta go. We can't slow absolutely right, if we down seven with nine minutes to go, you like, there's plenty time left.
Speaker 1: One possession of a time, sir.
Speaker 3: Let me get this thing at the elbow, top of the keyspace it out. Let me get to the line, get to this free throw line, jumper off of the cash is all day long. And the game slowed man the last four to five minutes and it just slowed down. They just running action, gett him into his ice, so getting him into his face. They stay home. He went to work. That was the difference to down the stretch. But Indiana, and you're thinking about the little stuff that they messed up on the free throws. Obviously, them two bone headed ass files. Yeah, and the only thing then in the finals, you understand every.
Speaker 4: Single possession matters.
Speaker 3: And I ain't just saying every single possession matters like some of them you ain't got to worry about. I'm talking about every single possession, every single substitution, every single mistake that you make, how you make it, it means.
Speaker 4: Something to the bottom line.
Speaker 3: And down the stretch, they made every mistake possible to get that game away.
Speaker 2: One thousand percent. I agree with that whole heartedly. You look at there's so I thought for majority of the game and the majority of the serious To be honest, Rick Carlisle has our coach.
Speaker 1: Mark Diagno, I think, but doubt out coach him.
Speaker 2: No questions asked, Like when you look at there were certain points in that game where.
Speaker 1: J. Dubb come down.
Speaker 2: I think it was like seven and a half it's left and chet leader game limping.
Speaker 1: Jay Dumb come down.
Speaker 2: And this actually started with JDub in the third quarter, three minutes to go in the third quarter, three and a half minutes to go in the third quarter, A cuff shots.
Speaker 1: Right, like yeah, to the free throw line, getting.
Speaker 2: Behind the back that one b But but at that point, they were it was like a ten point game and they.
Speaker 1: Couldn't get good shots at that point.
Speaker 2: And that was a time where you saw Mark Dagno needed to take a like, not take a time out because it is what it is. But you need to call something, you know what I'm saying. You don't have your best player on the floor, you need to call something. And they had like three four possessions in a row and Nash where Indiana needed to put the game away.
Speaker 3: And they didn't capitalize.
Speaker 1: They did not put the game away.
Speaker 2: So in turn that it ended up like being bad shot for bad shot, bash for a bad shot, and the league just kind.
Speaker 4: Of stayed we missed a big shot too, Yes he did. Yes, that was a huge shot making a huge shot. Yep, he did.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: So I'm watching this and it's inevitable what's about to happen, But I'm gonna tell you something that I thought down the stretch that I noticed and if i'm if I'm the patients, I'm going to watch the spiel and this is what I noticed. Hey, they took Shaye off the ball. We all know that that's clear that they took Shae off the ball. They got j Dove handling the ball more. But down the stretch, where did they go to They went to a Shae Jake.
Speaker 3: Pick and roll switch.
Speaker 2: Now you got nie Smith on Shae as opposed to Nimhr on Shae. And they kept switching it and he just threw it to Shae. And now Shae got Knee Smith on him. And if you watch the beginning of for anyone who watched the beginning of this series, Shae got what he wanted on the Smith. I think it's a very good defender. For instance, he guarded Jalen Brunson better than anybody. But it's matchup to match up when it comes to this this point in the playoffs, the guy who guards one guy the best may not be the same guy to guard that guy the best in the next series. And so what we've seen is nim Hard is the guy to guard Shay in this series. Every possession down the stretch, they went to the one two pick and roll, get the switch, shake, got nimr shake, got Niee Smith on him now and Shae goes to work and gets to all the buckets that he was getting to. And so as a as a guard defender as as just as a guard, as a coach, someone with pride, a champion. At what point does the player nim hard just say, oh, I see they trying.
Speaker 4: To get that switch.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna make him. If Jay dubb on to shoot a pick and pop.
Speaker 2: Three different three than the catch and shoot three.
Speaker 1: You ain't used to shooting picking pop three. I got.
Speaker 2: What point do we expect the player to be like, yeah, I'm not switching, I'm getting through this.
Speaker 1: It is what it is. Because I think down the stretch, that's what cost them the game.
Speaker 3: And you know what's crazy, and we go back to little stuff. Everything loses little all the little shit loses games. Looking back Game three, go look at their defensive possession. They won switching nothing. They won switching nothing. Game three. They didn't switch nothing. They got through everything and they got beat at times. Because of that, they was able to get That's why they it was such a high scoring first half because they were staying with their match up, getting through everything.
Speaker 4: Titles in that short little drop. Then this short drop I call him short drop.
Speaker 3: He right there on that short drop and he trying to stun a little bit, get back in front of you a little bit late.
Speaker 4: That's when they was turning the corner and they was reading it.
Speaker 3: But they stuck with it. They stuck with a game three because it kept the pace going, It kept okay, see downhill, make a miss, we out anyway, So the game is gonna be back and forth. But tonight they was in a lot of switches when they won in Switches game three.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and I think I think Okase took full advantage of that. Like so so now when I'm going ahead in this series, I'm saying, no matter how much we get hurt, And not only am I saying that, but also I'm matching nim Harr's minutes with Shay. The only time you get a break is when he come off the floor. And the rest of the game, you're getting through every screen. You're fighting through everything. We getting to them because again to your point, Moe, even if Shae turned the corner and he got a little advantage, but nim Harr is fighting through it.
Speaker 1: If he don't have a crazy advantage.
Speaker 2: He gonna stop because at his pace, you know, he wanted to get it at and at his pace, nim Hard.
Speaker 1: Has shown that he can guard him at his pace.
Speaker 4: He's confident.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, they play on the Canadian national team. You know they playing ones when they.
Speaker 3: In camp him. Absolutely, that's the problem. They got too much respect for him.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, So so as a scorer saying them hard, don't because I don't do this. This ain't my carridicious your career, get them hard, don't switch it.
Speaker 1: What happens next? If you shay, you've been in that position.
Speaker 3: He gotta get down here, he gets and he got he gotta get down here, and he gotta get it in advanced every single time. And he gotta be ready to step because at some point he gotta fight through it. That may be over and undered if he under You gotta have that trigger ready. If you knock, you knock a couple on screens down. When you got faith, I mean shot it down behind the screen, when you got his face. Now he getting over the top every time, and they ain't switching. Now you got him on your hip. Now you got an advantage. Now you now you get into the line more. Now Now he didn't start getting to the line to down the stretch when they were trying to keep the fucking game close.
Speaker 4: Did you get what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: So that's the only time he started getting to the line, but throughout the throughout the game, he wasn't getting too the line like that because he wasn't really getting him on the hip. Everything was kind of getting to the elbow, kind of getting his feet set, trying to get some separation, trying to get that pull up off. And if I'm Indiana, I'm making I'm forcing him into that two that mit rain pull up at the free throw line because he willing to get there. If you get to him every time, you know, if he making, he making, he don't, he don't. It's still a two, and you can get it out real quick and go. Now he ain't getting to the line. He get into that line and you start letting him get an angle, and he started to get an angle on you. Unable to get them, get them long stretchy layups and them floaters. And now when he get those, oh yeah, he's gonna knock a couple of threes down. And then if he get that three level going, you want to keep him at two levels, and you want majority of them to be at the second level. And I know they trying to do that, but they really just playing off how he how how he playing and how the defense said, wherever angle he coming from, but they just falling him into that range. He gonna accept that every time.
Speaker 2: When when you when you look at when you look at what's happening with the lineups, right, you got a team that won sixty eight games.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I ain't understanding that with Dre.
Speaker 2: They came into the NBA Finals and change.
Speaker 1: I can't, I can't. I still can't believe that.
Speaker 3: Man, you know what it is. Man, you know that's when the coach just, you know, they just cocky. You know, they just you know, feel like they you know what you being. I am him, you know, it's it's just that's their case. It's because if you we can't understand why we could sit there and why would we do that. I can see Indiana doing that as they should. You won sixty eight games. You know what this looks like. And we as players, and obviously I'm a coach now, I would never adjust to the chake In a minute, I see when I go into into the locker room and we get our starters to come here from the pole team ten minutes before the game, and I get on that board coach bringing in all right, who they got starting is who we think. Then they come back and say, no, coach, they started such and so they trying to match up to us.
Speaker 1: I have won the game because that's what what that's what we do best. I done won the game.
Speaker 3: So by by doing that, now now now you get more cocky. You you felt like, well that wasn't the reason we lost the game. Running back, you know, did it again? Then obviously after game three you want to switch it back, you know, so I don't know, man, you know, so that you know what's your thoughts on name.
Speaker 2: I thought number one, you never show your hand before you need to show your hand, So.
Speaker 3: That should have been an adjustment.
Speaker 2: That's an adjustment when you going into the series. We're going with what has worked for us this whole time. If we get in game one, I'm not sure I'm adjusting to game one, But if it's so bad and it's glaringly noticeable, then yes I'll make the adjustment. But for instance, okay, see like they should have won game one. They they they won game one. They just trick it off. But when I when I when I take a step back and I'm I'm going into the series, you never they showed their adjustment before the series started. Yeah, and when you've been in these situations and you know how this go in In twenty fifteen, when we won our first championship, the death lineup was already born. We knew our small lineup was our best lineup. We didn't start the series with our death lineup, starting with Andre Goadala in the start lineup. We started the series starting our lineup we have been starting. We got to two to one, down to one, they made the call.
Speaker 3: We started.
Speaker 2: Now Andre, we're going with our death line up to start, right. That's our first time in the NBA finals. That's also Steve Curts first time coaching the NBA finals. Also his first year ever as a coach, but Steve has played and won five championships. Dan greg Popovich, he's seeing Phil Jackson make these adjustments when the adjustment need to be made, not starting the series. And so we're going into this series. We're playing with all right, boom that ain't working.
Speaker 1: This boom.
Speaker 2: We got our adjustment. But to show your adjustment, like there's no adjustment for Okac. The adjustments they're making now is like, all right, we want to get Shay off the ball a little bit more although I think that didn't work either, Like if Indiana closed the game when they should close the game and extend the league, how they should that don't work either, right, Like the adjustment is usually a.
Speaker 1: Matchup or line. You already took that away. So if you know they've made their adjustment, what can they do now?
Speaker 2: Like all right, so yes, they won game for and okay, see's the best team, so they should win the series.
Speaker 1: But it should what you've already made your trump and then not.
Speaker 3: But I don't think we give it well that were given all out enough credit right now? I want I wanted to say credit more so respect. You get what I'm saying, just more so on like like here far as coaching, he's a he's a he's a legend.
Speaker 1: Yes, you get what I mean.
Speaker 3: So when I when I'm talking about, okay, see Indiana right now, talent wise, team wise, what they've done from a season standpoint, absolutely, But now we're talking about adjustment on top of adjustment, you know, how we're approaching the next game, how you even communicate with your team getting them ready when we're talking about staff putting all that together, not saying who's better. But boy, I'm talking about who's been doing it longer. You give what I'm saying. Just imagine Dread year three and Drea year twelve and eight, Draad year whatever. It's a different level of mindset. Even though Dre was good at the year three. Yes, you get what I'm saying. So at the end of the day, I think that it's almost like, you know, you're gonna be all young fella. You should be back here so on, or you may be back here another day, but you know, let the grown folks handle this.
Speaker 4: What's going on. How I feel, are he coaching? You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: So I just think Indiana from that standpoint, has a chance. You know, Look, okay, see clearly the better team one thousand.
Speaker 2: And I've had, I've had and I know this thing is this because I've had a coach and he's a very prominent coach in the being. I won't say his name because I ain't that type of guy. I ain't selling nobody.
Speaker 3: I got you.
Speaker 2: But what he did tell me is and the way he said, the coaches who has won championships, it's like this little fraternity and they don't want to see a new coach enter m hm. So Rick Carlisle is holding it down for all the coaches that have.
Speaker 5: Wonagno entered the conversation, and I know this to be factual.
Speaker 1: It's a very prominent coach. He's a player.
Speaker 2: He might have won a championship as a players. Listen and saying that though, and I think I think Rick has out coached him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, you've out coached him in y'all too too.
Speaker 2: Do you think Rick made a mistake because down the stretch, I think we had like three holly cross cross cross cross cross, step back air ball threes down? Was Rick I fought for not making sure Pascal get the ball, because absolutely, I think is the guy when you need to get a great look. Pascal is the guy to get you to look. He was he mad down the stretch and not Pascal got a touch.
Speaker 3: I think I think so you know, but I do think too, it's a it's a kind of let your team play too, because you got to think about it. They offen, you know, it better than not do. It's just free flow, like they ain't really geared. It's unless howscal they're giving it to him on that chopper wing area right there. I call it chopper wing in between the slider and the wing in that area right there. If he getting it there, way he able to maneuver the top of the key in the trail position or right there in the mid block. If you get in the ball of them three spots, get out the way. Let him go to work. Make sure we's facing.
Speaker 4: But outside of that, it's spacing the floor.
Speaker 3: We hid were cutting off here, we in our open action, we in our rip action. They just it's a lot of movement and that's the base of the offense. So I think he's smart.
Speaker 4: Enough and don't give a damn enough to say I'm gonna let my team play.
Speaker 3: You know, if I have to go to that, to you know, them dirt spots, I go to it if I have to mean it. Well, okay, see going to those dirt spots before they have to run action, which they ain't even running.
Speaker 4: They ain't running no action.
Speaker 3: Okay, see just getting downhill, putting the ball in guy's hands, you know, looking for some overhelp, kicking out, trying to make some threes, and trying to get the spots. But Indiana, more so, they relying on their action and their movement, because if you stand still on okay see and try to.
Speaker 4: Go to work, you gonna have some trouble.
Speaker 3: And Indiana don't have enough guy that on the elite level that can just go get buckets, you know, so outside of past guy, yeah, you know. So they gotta rely on movement because if you know, if you let okay see, just just load up and get back and being position.
Speaker 4: Oh, you're in trouble. That's why they're getting it out.
Speaker 3: That's that's why that's why he had five steals game, because they don't care we're getting it out. We're not letting y'all get back and setting up. If we're getting that ball down in the court, we'll live with those steals, yep. If we're getting that ball out on one second touch it out of there, we're gone. And they getting the ball across head quarter three seconds every single possession, every single and the more they do that, the more often.
Speaker 4: They get the ball across the head quarter three seconds.
Speaker 3: Now, if it's creating a flow in the shifting defense, you already created your advantage. But if you get that ball up more than five second with a defense every single one on the touch the three point line, you in trouble.
Speaker 2: The facts what it also does is they create natural mismatches because we're all taught in transition. You don't have a man in the NBA. The first rule in transition is you don't have a man like that. You're just going to run to young man and transition the other team. If you're rulesing the NBA, are you go get your man every time? The team will get a layup every possession. So that's the number one rule in the NBA. You don't have a man in transition. And so what it's doing also is it's naturally creating these mismatches. It's naturally creating cross matches to where you you know.
Speaker 3: Topping Topping gonna have a guard on. He's running Topping out there on the track. Man he running and they say, you know they pushing it down. He already in the seal because he because the only person can get back.
Speaker 1: With him is a guard. Yep, exactly.
Speaker 2: And you look at you look at like Hallie got maybe three layups in the in the third quarter going to his right hand, stretch out layups. None of them were on lou dr I think one of them was on the check check was behind Shay was Shaye was on them and that's because they're pushing the ball so fast. You just got to get matched up with who's ever the closest man, and that is to their advantage, and they take that advantage.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, when the game so down, you have to that we got to get that ball to Pascal. He's the only person on.
Speaker 2: Indiana's team that can create a double team. And create the double team, you kick it out and now you got the first domino to fall. Everything else can just roll.
Speaker 3: Yep, exactly, and that and that's what they missing, and that's what and all they got it. He just didn't go to it. So to go back to what you said, you know, I bet he had the career right now or probably in the office right now thinking about that stuff. My god, dog, you know they understand that. You know, man, it's it's real.
Speaker 4: You know, it's real. We've been in the moments, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: So you you live with some you know, you go back to the room and you say, man, you start kicking, You start kicking yourself, playing it all back, playing it all back, which you can do it all over again, but you can't.
Speaker 4: You got to move on to the next too.
Speaker 3: So too, Yes, it is too too man.
Speaker 2: So speaking of moving on to the next one we had in the game five and going into game five, what do you think is the most important thing going into game five for OKCU who's heading back home, but then also for Indiana who got to go back on the road. You've given up home court again, you gotta go get it back. What is it heading into game five for these guys?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 3: I think game five for OKC is more so going back home with some confidence. You know, even though they was losing an entire single game, became and wanted the end. That little bit gave him the confidence they needed to go win Game five.
Speaker 4: Yep, you know, they just knew that we got out of here with one. It's all, you know.
Speaker 3: So now they can go home and they regroup. They're gonna get their energy from their fans.
Speaker 4: So now when they you know what the media been talking about last two day.
Speaker 3: Oh they look tired it, Oh they ain't gonna look tired on game five.
Speaker 4: Promise you ain't gonna be tired in game five.
Speaker 3: But the energy is gonna be. They just gonna be pulling energy from the crowd. So I expect, you know, okay see to have one of those high scoring games though, that one twenty five, one thirty five type of game. Game five, my opinion, I feel like the defense gonna create you know, a lot of tough shots, like Indiana is getting a lot of good looks.
Speaker 4: And now it's gonna be Game five on the road and a lot.
Speaker 3: Of them looks that they make, and even some tough ones, they better shoot a high percentage. And like Game two, they was in the thirties, and so I think it's a it's a it's one of them games.
Speaker 4: But okayc got it make shots.
Speaker 3: The more that ball going the basket, even though they getting it out quick, the more you could get your defense set. The more you score, the more you have energy on the defensive end far as getting stops, because everybody feeling good, you know, everybody pumping their chest. We scoring the ball, they bringing energy on the defensive end also, so now now we got confidence on the offensive. Man, now we're running more now the other guys. I just think it's gonna be one of those games. Okay. See my opinion, I think is gonna be a game of okay, see dominate now. Then it's gonna be a domination game. Now Indianago had to go back home as far as regroup and send it to game seven. That's my uh, you know kind of kind of perception of what's gonna happen going forward. I just think, okay, see got away with one.
Speaker 4: You know, I think this was the game, and they Indiana did what they had to do to get them.
Speaker 3: How hard it was to get these two games they could have got.
Speaker 1: Then would there would have going on that would have won of what?
Speaker 3: Oh I'm talking about National NBA Championship. Man, that one game that they had.
Speaker 2: They had the game, they had the game this listen, this puts them up three to one, which which moves.
Speaker 3: Us on who my goodness, man.
Speaker 2: Speaking of game five today in NBA history of Lebron and Kyrie scored forty one points. They go out of their mind and y'all beat us. Excuse me because game five is I'm suspended. So both yeah, both guys go for forty one and we are headed back to Cleveland for game six.
Speaker 1: Like what's the conversation like now?
Speaker 3: Right? Like, so so game five those the year before you you was thinking about this sixteen So yes, so sixteen so game five obviously that happened to you and broun. Game four you did as a favorite, like if you did it today, that's the whole nothing.
Speaker 4: That ain't they got something that ain't got nothing to do with me. They got something do with y'all. Y'all.
Speaker 3: The one that that's up there talking to Adam and stuff handling that, that's who handled all that.
Speaker 4: So listen, you did us a favor.
Speaker 3: Because by you not being in game five, that that really gave us confident that we got past Game five. That was the game y'all could have put us away, Like if you play game five, y'all could have put us away because we we we would. We just needed something and the motivation we got going back for game six was the whole thing. Going back home, we were just we remember Christmas, y'all, remember y'all we played on Christmas, and but y'all came in there talking about, oh, it's the listening like Champagne up here.
Speaker 4: We never forgot that. We never forgot it.
Speaker 3: It's like Champagne and we like damn, that's how they feel. So coming back for game six, always saying, man, they ain't celebrating any Q. That was always saying, and you already know all you need is something you get what I'm saying, So like that was the biggest thing. So fast forward, we win game six, going back for game seven. Now we in the mold like anything can happen type stuff. But what really got our head right was we started talking about how.
Speaker 4: We're gonna be, what we're gonna do during the parade. This is before game seven. That's why you start like Jr.
Speaker 3: With the shirt.
Speaker 4: You saw a lot of us with a shirt offs.
Speaker 3: But jayall the one that they talk about. But that's what we say stuff. Man, I ain't wearing a shirt for a week. I ain't doing it like. It's just things that we're kind of putting out in the atmosphere, like when we win it, when we win it, when we win it. So it was just that mindset once we got past game six in game seven, and obviously, man, I tell people this story all the time, and you can now you hear it from someone opposing team perspective, and just to be in that game for every possession, understanding how much every single possession matters. I played twelve minutes that game. Every possession I had in that game mattered. My match up was shown lives that I have to understand his spot. I gotta know exactly what's on the scot report where I need to send them, what shot I want him take it? You get what I mean. And every single minute that Kyrie on the bench and I'm in the game, like my minute's important. I can make or break us in these twelve minutes. So I just remember just every single possession and just the moment the block happened, the shot happened, just this pot going zero zero, just all those moments when you win it.
Speaker 4: Obviously you had the experience of doing it multiple.
Speaker 3: Times, but just the feeling of window clock. Just imagine your first one. How that felt. Yeah, that's how mine felt. What I'm saying, you know. So at the end of the day, then you're going back to Cleveland. We leave you guys, don't know if you know this story on something you do. Oh yeah, we were de vage. But but this is the crazy thing, though, Joe, this is the crazy thing. We had two planes.
Speaker 4: It was two planes, one plane for the family, one plane for the team. Right, they put the family on the plane, they went on to Cleveland.
Speaker 3: We didn't got in the air fo hour and boom boom, boom, we invade, were like, what the we're in Vegas, family home man. We in Vega til eight eight nine in the morning. Then we fight a Cleveland man. This one hundred thousand even like at the airport is crazy. One point five million people downtown at the parade, one point five million, man, it was experienced like no other.
Speaker 1: I bet it was.
Speaker 2: I remember our first parade in Oakland, Oakland never expected to see a parade. There was over a million people out there and it was one of the best days of my life. So I can only imagine that was like from you, especially being in a position where it's like, yo, you're supposed to lose the series exactly, like it's over exactly.
Speaker 1: I can only imagine what that was like.
Speaker 2: But in speaking of that, that ended up being the last year of your career, Part question number one, how'd you end up back in Cleveland for the last year of your career where you became an all star, where you, like Moll Williams always had a great career and was putting together a good career, but like you really became one of the ones in my opinion, like in Cleveland, like that you had fifty before, like all of the things. But like we've seen other guys have fifty like that, you think, all right, like that guy had fifty, But like I felt like you really became like one of them dudes in Cleveland. And then to go there for that last year. What was that whole process like for you?
Speaker 3: It was it was good man, because that was I was in I was in Minnesota. It was bad that year. That was That was the year that Flip passed away. Unfortunately, right after that and me and Ricky Rubio, we just drafted Zach Levine and I signed there as a free agent.
Speaker 4: I was coming off surgeon with my thumb.
Speaker 3: Leaving Utah, and I went to Minnesota and I started playing, you know, toward the first half of the season, you know Zach.
Speaker 4: They were trying to bring Zach along. Rub Yo got hurt.
Speaker 3: So I started playing a lot of minutes, starting playing thirty five, thirty seven, and it always works yourself out, so I'm hoping. And then all of a sudden, you know, they wanted we sorry as hell, so they you know, they're trying to bring back up, which was a good decision, and Flip came to me. It was crazy because I was supposed to go to Cleveland. I was supposed to get bought out and go to Cleveland, miss miss season and play against y'all in the fifteen final. I would have been against y'all that year. So, uh, Flip come to me, he said, Mo, I love you know. He said, I'm gonna trade you, man, so you know I'm finnah play this. This is how real flips on the world. He came to me, said, I'm gonna trade you know. He said, Hey, I'm a Zach Gavine young fellow. We you know, we're finna bring him up. He's gonna play more than me and he ain't gonna play, but I'm I'm gonna trade you. So, you know, talk to your agent. Y'all get back with me.
Speaker 4: He said, Man, I can't look down there at that bench.
Speaker 3: You know. You you know you should be playing and I can't play. I said, man, that's real. So we had our team. It was obviously LA and it was Cleveland.
Speaker 4: So uh, we went to him with those options.
Speaker 3: You know, me and Rich talked and Rich, you know, talking through talking for Braun and He's just like, yeah, man, get you know, listen, let's let's figure out how we can get about out over there.
Speaker 1: And the deal done.
Speaker 3: So we were trying to work and through that, the Flip came to them and said, I can't give you away for nothing. That ain't gonna happen. So I end up going to Charlotte and Kimball was down a little bit and they were writing that ninth spot, so they was fighting for a playoff spot. And let me tell you something crazy about that season I was in Minnesota. Were sorry as head. I won Western Conference Player of the Year. I'm not playing the year player of the week, Western confiss Player of the Week. I get traded mid season to the Eastern Cover to Charlotte second week there when East Common player of the week.
Speaker 4: You look up.
Speaker 3: The record going on the player they ever did that's winning player of the week in both conferences in the same year. Obviously you got to get traded. But I'm the only player that's ever been done. I looked it up. Now, you tell me if I'm wrong, But that's something I could take to my grade right there, that I ain't seen happen too often, you know, so obviously, exactly so, obviously these.
Speaker 1: Guys that good to win those awards don't get.
Speaker 3: Traded, exactly exactly. So I WoT Player of the Week in both both conference in the same year. So I was a free agent this summer, and you remember Kyrie was hurt. Remember he came back on Christmas against y'all the next year, so I was a free agent and I had some option to go some team and get a little money, but it was it was nothing.
Speaker 4: Playoff teams or teams that ain't have a chance.
Speaker 3: And then then I started talking to Cleveland and we talked Big Griff was talking Dave Davis over there. Griffin was over there at the time. So we started talking and they ain't had no money. So basically, you know, they like, you know, we come over here, Kyrie gonna be out. We need somebody to come in and start and play heavy minutes. You know, Deli is a backup and we want to keep him in that role. And when Kyrie come back, you know he's gonna play. Deli's gonna play. You just got to stay ready, you know. So they kind of sold me on that, and just like, man, you know, we compete for a championship, and you know, when things open up, we'll be you know, money, we'll be willing to pay you or obviously, you have opportunity to go get it wherever you want to go. So, uh, I took that option, you know, because I wanted to win a championship because at the moment at the time, I was even debating being done anyway, not even worried about another contract because actually my knee was messed up and I had another year left on the deal. I just got the surgery and shut it down and I played through that season. My last season, I played through it with a messed up knee. UH, and got surgery after the season and decided to hang it up. But the championship aspect of it really really.
Speaker 4: Made the decision for me. It made the decision easy for me.
Speaker 3: And you know, and then at that time, you know, I had the gym in Dallas, I had the youth team going on, and I was coaching. I had got that bug, and you know, at that point I got you know, obviously, I got seven boys and all my boys coming up playing, and I wanted to start my second half of my career. I knew I wanted to coach, and eventually I want to, you know, obviously get to a level where I can compete for a national championship. But you know, I got a grind. I gotta pay my dues, you know what I mean. And I'm obviously at Jackson State HBCU, where we don't have all the resources. You know, people don't really understand like the things I gotta do, you know, as far as like non comfort schedule. You know, I got to play you know, the Houston, the Michigan State stuff, you know, the dude the guns AGAs, you know, to get one hundred thousand dollars a game to raise my budget which is now one hundred thousand dollars, so you know, I can pay my Saturday guys and travel the way we need to travel and get the thing we gotta get.
Speaker 4: But what they do is it puts us on.
Speaker 3: The rod with thirteen straight game. We don't have the schedule to compete like you know, other teams. And then you look at my record and you say, you know, he's just a five hundred cod but I'm forty one and fifteen in conference light. You get what I'm saying, you know, but I done played thirty nine straight on the road by games, you know what I mean. So so for me, it is like people don't understand their story. You know what I'm saying, Like you know, I reach out to people to just try to get people to kind of understand if we can just get some support, like man, we get somebody together because we all five we five oh one C three you can get all your right ouf. Cause we're school. We're educational school. So now when we're talking about hipping our kind of helping our institution, that's that's how.
Speaker 4: We can help us.
Speaker 3: You know, it ain't about talking about it or putting onders whatever. It's the financial part is the difference in the dude, not even the dukes I'm talking about like the Sam Houston and the Louisianas, you know, just just that type, that type of level, like they don't have to go out and play by a game.
Speaker 4: They have home games. They can you know they can.
Speaker 3: Do that because they got a million dollars coming in the difference between those schools. I have to go raise that money by playing games. Now, we can function like any other Division one team. But if you can go out say I'm just giving this an example, I say, Drake, you're our GM, because what these fields got right, You our GM. All you doing is you're gonna go to ten people that you know and say match my one hundred thousand, and they gonna say, all right, Dre, I'm gonna match your one hundred thousand, and you're gonna creator. You're gonna create an entity.
Speaker 4: Y'all gonna put that. You're gonna get that money.
Speaker 3: You're gonna send it to Jack State that is gonna get it right off from from a donation every single year. That creates our budget.
Speaker 4: You know what I mean.
Speaker 3: So now i can go play thirteen non conference game where I'm playing North Carolina Central. You know what I'm saying. Where I'm playing You get what I'm saying where I'm playing Savannah State, Right, those are games I should be playing.
Speaker 1: Why should I.
Speaker 4: Don't me playing Michigan State.
Speaker 3: That don't make sense.
Speaker 1: It's just a practice game for us.
Speaker 3: But I gotta do it. You give what I'm saying. I gotta go raise one hundred thousands. But that ain't the type of environment you're giving your kid. Because now you got to think about this. Imagine you want to see you have a you have a son, and you want to send your son to HBCU. You play in Michigan State. You want him to have some of the same things that you had. You know, all the things that that school. It can be created at HBCU, but you don't have the capacity to get it done, you get what I mean.
Speaker 4: So if you can get people.
Speaker 3: To get involved in a way of getting the money here, now you can go raise money and have a meal plan and have certain things. The little things you can't go get because you spending all your money just on rating for about game and getting through your salaries and everything like that. So you just robbing Peter to play Paul every year instead of building things around. So that's the biggest thing that I want you to know. And when you are around people, it ain't got to be judge Jackson State, but just understand HBCU as a general if they have a group and that's something that you can be an initiative of fore fund and make that initiative where get groups together and get just tied to HBCU as far as financially, put some toward you know what I mean, and put some tour the men's basketball program or whatever program that they tied to. Because that's the difference between you know, those universities and HBCU. Because we all operate the sign.
Speaker 2: And I think I think let's let's also take it a step further because I am a college basketball fan and obviously I watch Michigan State faithfully. But you talk selection Sunday and all these things. Let's take it a step further. Say, y'all do win your conference, but you've lost thirteen games to Michigan, stated, North Carolina, Gonzaga, blah blah blah because you've had to play these games from a budget standpoint. Now you get the sixteen sixteen playing game as opposed to if you didn't have to play those games. And y'all are Jackson State, but are twenty nine and four. Exactly, you may get the thirteenth seed that doesn't play in it, and it's just a totally different ball game then the sixteen sixteen.
Speaker 1: You win the sixteen sixteen, great, good luck.
Speaker 6: You play Auburn Exactly, you got no chance as well, Right, I get it, you have no chance, and that's one thing, and we're all fight for just that one spot you're talking about.
Speaker 3: And to even go further with that is you take me, for example, last year, I finished second in the league last year, one.
Speaker 4: Game out of first place, right, one game and then one game out of the tournament. So just think about this.
Speaker 3: I got thirteen non conference, guy, I'll go oher to thirteen and non conference from that point on. When conference place started, I won sixteen out of twenty games.
Speaker 4: You get what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: So imagine if I play another conference schedule like anybody else and just say I go eight and five. Yeah, that's twenty four, that's twenty four. At nine. Now I've lose that championship game. I'm in the n I t I'm in some kind of other tournament. I don't even get the opportunity to go into another tournament because I'm eighteen. I'm sixteen to seven team up below five hundred. But I have won sixteen out of twenty games when conference plays start. So that's what I'm trying to change. And the only way I can change that it's getting money to the money that I got to go get to buy money that nine hundred thousand. If I can raise that and give that to the school, now I can create the schedule where it can be balanced, where I can get home games and get good competitive games, just like anybody else.
Speaker 4: Play that.
Speaker 3: Go you go look at the UABS you know the two line, like the fau's those schools, they're they can.
Speaker 4: We're on the same level as them.
Speaker 3: But the difference is they coach are only going to have to go play one of those games to go get one hundred thousand.
Speaker 4: I gotta go get nine. That's the difference, you know.
Speaker 3: Because the school, the school aspect, the actual school, the athletic department is the department of the school. The school is fund in all departments. Right at those schools I'm talking about. At Jackson State Athletic, we create our own budget. Really, That's what I'm trying to tell you, Like the school does. If I don't go out and play now one hundred thousand dollars, we do not operate. So I'm not only helping men's basketball, but I'm helping women's basketball.
Speaker 4: I'm helping volleyball.
Speaker 3: Football go out and play one game. They don't have to play one game, and they just hit They just on themselves. But I got a fund three because the other sports that not generate income generate sports.
Speaker 4: I'm the only sport on campus that can go out.
Speaker 3: And raise them million dollars just playing games and get my ass kick.
Speaker 1: Wow, And then they take some of that money and give it to other programs. Yes, how do you win.
Speaker 4: My point?
Speaker 3: Ex athlete, I just told you. I am forty one and fifteen in conference, playing three years, but I played thirty nine straight games on the road. I'm talking about I ain't playing I'm playing Minton Missouri. I'm playing Memphis. That's what I'm playing. I went to Missouri and beat them. I went the SMU and I beat them. I went to Georgetown. It's a four point game with two minutes ago, A Joey Cooler said, hey, Mo, it ain't gonna be long for you.
Speaker 4: Get somewhere, but don't call me no more. I'm not playing.
Speaker 3: So the difference is now, when you're talking about me knowing what I'm doing, trying to move up and get other jobs. They look at man, why he ain't winning game? Because those a these ain't on this. They don't understand what I gotta go through. So that's why I tell this story or theother You don't know this. You get what I'm saying. So when I call people and I'm like, yo, I need this, I need that, it's hard.
Speaker 4: Two people have done something for.
Speaker 3: Me and that I know in the league, damn sent me fifty. CJ sent me ten. You know what I mean, They understand what's going on, but exactly you know, So I'm trying to get the work because I didn't know this until I got here. We don't because we got our own lives. We ain't.
Speaker 4: We don't understand this.
Speaker 3: We just know when we see non conference game and it's a sweat HBCU playing the big school they losing about sixty.
Speaker 4: That's all we know.
Speaker 1: That's all we mean.
Speaker 3: They have no business playing them. We have no big We have no big Why you think why you think football has the n c A and f CS they not playing them? Yeah, we shouldn't play dude, We shouldn't play Alabama like they shouldn't be on our schedule. Like how how how am I skipping you know, louis Susiana mon Roll you know what I'm saying, and going to play there because Louisiana mon Roll can't pay one hundred thousand dollars, So I have to go play you cun Gonzaga because all they doing is to try to feed all them schools are trying to fill three games on their schedule, so they just gonna go give us one hundred dollars dollars come up there and get their butt. Well, we ain't got a chance to win the game. That ain't making you no better. You spend the time keeping your team together, you give what I'm saying, because you ain't gonna win the game. The rest ain't gonna let you. It's so much against you. So when I go to Missouri SEC team and beat them on their floor, man, we celebrate. Why we celebrate if we weren't supposed to win this game? You know so, Man, if you can, if you can understand that and say, man, you know what more, I'm gonna figure out some way to help you that'll change our life down here.
Speaker 2: I respect so so from an NIL standpoint, right, like the actual nil.
Speaker 1: Did that affect y'all?
Speaker 2: Or because because of the problems you're already dealing with, that didn't necessarily come to you? See what I'm trying to say, Like, didn't necessarily come to that level because of the problems you're already dealing with.
Speaker 1: Or did NIL screw y'all even more?
Speaker 3: No, I think.
Speaker 4: One of both.
Speaker 3: I think when I say one of both, I mean it didn't screws. But in some cases it did when I say it didn't because it's so many kids out there. It's so many kids, and everybody think that they're gonna get one hundred thousand, two hundred down three hundred thousand so far going up. You know, if you want to talk to Mellion, we talking about to select few. But the Norman is then the three four hundred, you know, like five hundred and six hundred, depends on what level, you know, how major, you know seven on up mid major gonna be kind.
Speaker 4: Of two up to seven.
Speaker 3: And then when you get down our level lower level, you know, anything under one hundred, you know it's good. You know. So you know my guys is you know they're getting good money, you know, And that's another way that you know, that's that's the part that I have to do. So I can't do nothing for the buy money because I won't have a team if I don't have no money to even get kids, no money. So from that aspect, you got to be able to have money on my level. You have to pay guys, and guys are getting paid on our level if you want to be good, you know, or is it is it? For example, Michigan they got players on their team making two million dollars, you know what I mean. We don't have that, You get what I mean. So you come here and get you a nice little number under one hundred and under fifty. You know, you in their reign, you living good, you.
Speaker 4: Know what I mean.
Speaker 3: And on our level, you really the upper echelon, and you're doing it big, you know, because you have some cases down here where they don't have nothing.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: So the beauty of it is is there's a lot of guys that get in the portal looking for the money, and on our level, you gotta be smart about it and just and we're at the point where we have to wait, you know, so when recruiting open up, I can't just go out and recruit you right away, you know. I gotta wait till that that that that domino just keeps falling down, you know, because money gonna drive up. And then and then when you know, when they fifty thousand and sixty thousand, was was like disrespectful. Now it's almost like that is folkram Okay, all right, I'm like can deal with you know, It's different when you don't have nothing, so you kind of just sit on it sometime and get the right kid. You know, you just get the right kid.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Do I have kids, you know that can go to Douke one day? Possibly, you know, but they young, you know, they freshman. You know, I recruit young and I recruit kids. You know, they got an opportunity to play a bigger schools. And I sell them I'm different. I get good kids because I sell them on the fact that I want to get you to that level. I want to get you a Bama. I want to get you a state. Give me one of two years, you know. And I got a kid like that last year that was freshman of the Year. He'll be a sophomore this year, and I expect them to have a big year in getting the port and go get some money. I got a kid, a guard man coming back. There was a Macdomals All American. They got a chance. We got a real chance to be a pro, A real chair point guard transferred from me from old miss. The kid. The kid is electric. He got hurt, missed last season, came back this season second in the league, is going first in the league and assists. So I got talent, you know what I mean. So like with the team, I got safeist. I play, you know, with respect schedule. Man, I'm twenty twenty four wins, you know, you know, it's it's just a different ball game. So I'm fighting real hard to kind of change that aspect of because me personally, man, I don't want I don't want to lead, you get.
Speaker 4: What I'm saying.
Speaker 3: I like the space I'm at the crib. Man. I want to build this thing and I and I just want to be able to do that for for for my city, you know what I'm saying. So if I if I can get hold of you guys and get some up, just get some people just to understand it and support it. Man, watch this thing blow up and be a part of it. And I think it'll be something special.
Speaker 2: No doubt. Man, that's good. That's good to hear it. I never had any clue that was the case. And so just like just knowing that, I think it makes a difference for all. But just having the knowledge, right, you don't got the knowledge. You just don't know, right, Like you think all these schools.
Speaker 1: Like it's a college that's you know, and that's just kind of what you think.
Speaker 2: So I think, but I also think you know, and we'll move on before we get out of here. But I hope in all these rules that they're changing because they're figuring it out right, like the nil or four or five years old or something like that to transfer portal like there. I just feel like they're throwing shit out the wall and seeing what sticks. I hope that it ultimately can become a system like Europe where and when I say Europe, I mean European football in particular, where you come get a guy from the lower league, you got to pay that program two million dollars to get that player. You know, Yah, maybe it's not two million dollars like that's professional sports, it's PSG, it's real matry, like that's a different But maybe it's not. But to your point, them having to, hey you two hundred thousand dollars three hundred thousand.
Speaker 1: That makes a big difference difference. I hope to see that.
Speaker 2: And I think it's only fair that as this thing continues to come into effect and rules continue to change, that when you're getting these kids from these smaller schools, you gotta pay that smaller school how to get that school a chance you're going to come. You shouldn't just be able to free for all every year up that player had a good year and the come here like because I know you, and so I hope it gets to a point to where there's like a transfer fee, because this is no longer.
Speaker 1: Amateur sports. This is no longer you know you uh what they call college? It's so fake. I forget it.
Speaker 3: Hey, you want you want to hear some You want to hear some crazy. So you want to hear some crazy drake. So I will talk to the coach. I don't want to say the name because he told me it's a confidence till you're talking about nil, So answer the IMF. This happened to you. So in schools, some schools now, the schools are able to play the kids right now most of the schools now. But in some schools, you got a certain date, like say the date, it's like June thirty, right, that date is the only Like, if you don't spend that money that we're giving you the nil, then it goes away. So listen to this. So your dealer is two million a year, they've got to give you the two MILLI in June thirtieth when you get on campus. So you can leave my point exactly now you signed, but you don't cand they gotta give you off. They ain't giving it to you monthly first and fifteen two million dollars in your hand June.
Speaker 4: If that's a true story, what man, A coach told.
Speaker 1: You that, I money like that.
Speaker 3: My point is badly said. They had to use it because they would have went the way went away on that date.
Speaker 4: So they had to give it to them or they wouldn't have had Imagine that.
Speaker 3: What would you, man, I think college eighteen nineteen, twenty years old. You just give me two million dollars? Come on, man, that's it. Say that's what now?
Speaker 4: That's when you.
Speaker 3: Say they gonna have to make something, you know. But from the changes they just made created that though. Think about it.
Speaker 4: So really you didn't have it.
Speaker 3: You created another issue. Great because because of the new rule, that's what the school had to do.
Speaker 1: But I actually think the NCAA did that on purpose.
Speaker 2: Like I think the NCAA wanted to throw this whole thing and everyone's face like, boom, there you go, got it, let it blow up, and.
Speaker 4: Everybody, Yeah, that's what y'all want here.
Speaker 2: That's what that's what That's what I believe happened.
Speaker 1: But a couple of questions before we get out of here.
Speaker 2: I'm just talking about the NBA, uh number one, And I would love to know your answer to this question because of who you were in your career and that line you walked right of, like being an all star, being a guy who got it. But for the past few weeks, it's been this constant conversation about players that's a superstar or no, yeah, And so I think my question to you is, how would you describe a superstar? And NBA we all saw magic the other day, say a person who can go on the road and sell the building out.
Speaker 1: But how do you just wribe marketing?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: You know, I feel like, you know.
Speaker 4: Superstar is I'm talking about pure on the court.
Speaker 3: You know, that's that's he that's marketing, and that's that's just selling stuff. And you don't have to be a superstar to sales stuff.
Speaker 4: You got to just be marketable.
Speaker 3: But when you talk about a superstar, I'm talking about somebody that can galvanize a whole franchise. You get what I mean? Like Steph is a superstar. You know what I'm saying, just this or or just off when that moment and just take step out of just what I'm just talking about. The superstar now just in any moment, understanding on how big that stage is and always able to step up into that spot of whatever it is that they do best on how they are a superstar. I feel like a superstar is someone that no matter what the opponent has in front of them, they can overcome it, no matter if they might get knocked down, they may got stopped in this series or this game, you know, but at the end of the day, he's going to figure that out.
Speaker 4: That's a star.
Speaker 3: You know. I'm a roll star, you know what I'm saying. So at the end of the day's moments where Shi I can't do nothing to night, I mean they only first of all our moments, i'd have had three good games. They got a scheme on me. They they they ain't really worried about Broun tonight. They feel like that we take MO out, then you know, let Broun get his forted to night. He ain't even really aggressive night anyway. Then I'm gonna just gonna struggle a little bit. It ain't nothing nothing I can do, you know what I mean. They skin got me, but a superstar it ain't nothing you can do.
Speaker 4: You just gotta just hope.
Speaker 3: That they don't figure it out their game and they don't figure it out the series, and you know they just whatever you created, you know, it's just you know, obviously just kept them in a fum you know, just I take sixteen for his now for just that was kind of the first season where we were just kind of just our skyme report was any time Steph is around, you better not go buying what I touch. Hmm, Like every time you see him touch him boom and Jay y'all just happened to be in the screen with him the whole time. He just taking advantage, he leaning into it, you know what I'm saying. So like that was something that we did. You know what I'm saying that that was in the scout work for That's something we talked about, you know, making sure we physical, making sure we hit them, making sure we hit them, making because he never.
Speaker 4: Wanted to switch, you know, so it was make him switch, hit him. You know. So when you understanding that, you look at stuff now, you.
Speaker 7: Can't do that to step today, You're not you know what I'm saying, the world, So how many so, how many superstars.
Speaker 2: Do you say are actually in the NBA, Because I think people get the superstar tacking.
Speaker 1: They not superstars.
Speaker 4: Yeah, hey listen, man, that's a.
Speaker 3: Small room dog, you know, bro, they don't. It ain't even no key to their room. Like you gotta like get it stamped on you and it just automatically open when you get there. You get what I'm saying, Like you talk about superstar, I mean, let's you know, obviously, bro, you got it obviously like that ain't even to talk about. I put step in that category obviously, y honest. And when I say, you honest in my opinion, because I don't give it damn many man, you can't this man.
Speaker 4: That's beyonest, you understand? Is za of what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: It ain't no guarding him. It's just scheming for him and what we're gonna give him. What we're forcing him into, Like that's a sign of a superstar too. It's like, man, we finish go out here and guard him. We finished shut him down. Nah man, we forcing it into this right here all night long.
Speaker 1: If he go get.
Speaker 4: Forty right here, it is what it is.
Speaker 3: You know, I go to palls, man, because I can't just get it out like that. You know, all just wanted to be saying names. I mean Quai, I mean, oh that's that. I mean yeah, but you but you straddling when you get to you know, like he's a star like James Horning a star. He's like a really good star, you know, like man superstar. Like that's almost when you talk about superstar, you almost.
Speaker 4: Talking about Man.
Speaker 3: That's it's tricky man like legend stuff. Man, you're talking about AIS and like that's almost disrespectful to the AIS, you know what I'm saying, Like, Man, I remember my second in the league. Man, I'll never forget that third year might have been my third year. Man, this is the year after because he won the championship, he won the MVP and O four. It's gotta be two thousand and five. Man, we're playing filling in Milwaukee, AI scoring champion the previous season, MVP, my first year starting, and on my second year start, we're playing in Milwauker.
Speaker 4: He first had.
Speaker 3: Fifteen points, make along so short first half? Fifteen points. We go to halftime, Uh, to your reporter to hype me up. They mothers don't help a job. Man over there, keep it up, you know, so so you coming out, so you come out the taller. I gotta walk come by taller, they taller. So he gotta go to this goal. We go to gold. We gotta walk by each other, so you know, walk about. I remember what coach said, and there I'm young. It's my third year. So walking by AI, hey, y'all walked out and said, see young fell out of sweated to look out.
Speaker 1: That's all all he said.
Speaker 4: There, Drake, that's all he said.
Speaker 3: But we never stopped.
Speaker 4: He said it as he walking by a young fellaw, I swe the look out.
Speaker 3: And we just know.
Speaker 1: I just add like a year, but I hear.
Speaker 3: He fitted the.
Speaker 4: Game fifty four. That's into you.
Speaker 1: The hair man.
Speaker 4: We walked by each other and said, a young fella, I sweated that lookout.
Speaker 3: It's over fifty four.
Speaker 1: Jesus Christ.
Speaker 3: That's super that's a true store, true store man.
Speaker 4: That's everybody that's that's a superstar.
Speaker 1: That's stuff.
Speaker 2: Carrying in front of Boston bench in twenty twenty two saying this y'all last winning this finals and that actually being your last win. Obviously that's a different thing. It's the NBA Finals. But only superstars can do that.
Speaker 4: We want to.
Speaker 2: I don't know if the story is true, but we once heard the story of Patrick Bradley saying you you have had the last five years.
Speaker 1: I got the next five years.
Speaker 2: Superstars can say that, but you have to be a superstar because you would have to be able to control so much.
Speaker 1: And only superstars.
Speaker 2: And by the way, when I say only superstars, like four to five of them, that's it.
Speaker 3: That's it. Like man, as much as I love k D, like much as I love KD like he's a star, like superstar, I'm not disrespecting you. But okay, I'm with you.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm gonna tell you why superstar because I'm gonna say, like superstar right here, and like KT.
Speaker 3: Like like to me, he like he like he like man, they ready to open the door for.
Speaker 4: You're gonna tell you y k is but you played with him.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna tell you, y KD is a superstar.
Speaker 2: No matter where you place him, he can do the same exact thing. Okay, there, if he's on my team, your team, Lebron James team, uh Nicola Jolkish team, Stephen Curry team, right, he can do the same exact thing or no matter where he is that's all right.
Speaker 4: So now you you open it up a little bit. Now, so James Harden, has.
Speaker 2: He done the same exact thing anywhere else outside of Houston?
Speaker 3: KG. See that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: It's a superstar.
Speaker 4: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: When you say when you when we locked in O KD like a no brainer superstar, then that's when the KG when you start talking KG, the because KG, you get what I'm saying now, it's like they're no brainers.
Speaker 4: You get what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: When I when we were talking about like superstar like training saend it like.
Speaker 1: Like like.
Speaker 4: Not at least get get a little bit bigger.
Speaker 1: I see what you're saying.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying. Sure, get bigger. Now we ain't really you know, locked in on just kind of two qualities and we just open it up.
Speaker 4: It's just kind of like the bag.
Speaker 3: Then then you can start, you know, not not a Paul Pierce is coming question?
Speaker 1: All right, I like you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: We go back, well, you get what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Paul Piers coming question.
Speaker 3: You know he like borderline almost you get what I'm saying. And we started to broaden it up a little bit.
Speaker 2: Definitely not in the category no disrespect to the truth. I think he is the truth.
Speaker 3: But but you get what I'm saying. But you're giving me too much exactly.
Speaker 1: I can't argue that one say no more. I can't argue that one respect.
Speaker 3: But but that's why that's a touch. That's why they's been a topic for a month or so now, because because because we respect people so much. Where I feel like Kg, I feel like Ais and As all them guys are superstar. But everybody like, how do you This all depends on how you categorize superstar. Well, some people it's like, nah, bro, it ain't number two up. Mike and Mike and Brown. That's it. You know what I'm saying, Kobe ain't even there.
Speaker 4: I heard that.
Speaker 1: That's idiotic. You get what I'm saying, List, I follow you.
Speaker 3: That's just a broad I just broad and I and I and I take that back by KD because now the more I think about it, I just felt like I disrespected him.
Speaker 4: You feel me, So it's like, you know, you get what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: When you think about it, you know, it's like, okay, if you brought it up, k ne a no brain. You know what I'm saying, he on the same level as Ai KG, because if they superstars, this is a no brainer for KD. But if you're saying, am they gotta be on Mike and bro Living, I'm like, real shield, it ain't number two of them, three of them.
Speaker 2: From a basketball perspective, KD and Alan Iverson are definitely on it.
Speaker 1: And kd's a two time champion.
Speaker 2: Right And by the way, I'm the biggest allan Irison fan shout out to the OG. Just had a birthday. Happy birthday to him again, Happy fiftieth. But from a basketball perspective, I feel like what KD bring to the game and what AI brought to the game is very similar. Where difference is AI changed the whole culture, and he changed the whole way of how we all look at the game, how we felt like we can act, how we thought we could dress, how he changed so many different things. And I think that's what makes AI a little different. But no, no, KD got the same effect though he does. KD got every nobody who's over six seven thinking we should dribblings.
Speaker 3: Because and how and how authentic he is. You give what I'm saying, how how one of the guys. Yeah, so I think he's he has an AI kind of feel, you know, from a superstar standpoint, You get what I mean.
Speaker 4: So the superstar that.
Speaker 3: Was in the league at that time with AI had they own persona. Now that the superstars in the league along with KD, the Brons, and the Steps, they got a whole different persona than KD. KD counted the AI of this group.
Speaker 1: Mm hm mm hmm.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: One thousand. I agree.
Speaker 2: My last question before we get out of here, and I think this is an interesting question for me.
Speaker 1: You played with Bron before he went to Miami. You also played with Bron after he left Miami.
Speaker 2: Was the what what was any difference that you've seen.
Speaker 3: And maturity, maturity, all the little things. Maturity is just older, you know, just doing things just you know, maturity. You know, the first time I was there, he did all the things he was doing when when he got back, but he was doing it better and he was doing it, you know, more precise. You know, he added he had to dial in, you know when they talk about you know, him taking care of his body. You know, he was doing that the first time. But when I got with him the second time. It was like clockwork.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: I knew what times he was gonna be down. There's gonna be early morning when he's doing this. You know what time, how early he gets to the game. You know what he gonna he already gonna be there shoot around when we get there. You know, he gonna be at the gym before the first buss get there. You know, he getting a massage. Like I still remember hit that routine because I saw so much every single day and that was the difference I saw.
Speaker 4: And obviously that translated to the court.
Speaker 3: That's off him just playing games and getting older and just being better and being you know, one of the greatest players in his game just matured. He just everything got better. And obviously as he the second time.
Speaker 4: Rynd, He's shot the ball a whole lot better.
Speaker 3: I think that's a that's one of the biggest things that you know, that that part of his game kept going and obviously got to the point where yet, but just the maturity in this game, I'll say, just out the decision making, just being more sharper, just understanding spots on how to go get a bucket when he wanted to. I think he's always been a great feel for the game, and I think just.
Speaker 4: The development on the just going to get a bucket?
Speaker 3: You know, understand you know you you you understand the game. You know, you know guy that I can go get a bucket when I want to go get a bucket. And then, you know, some guys ain't really about that life. So it just depends on how they feel, on how they going that day, on how aggressive they don't be. You know, I thought, you know, so, I thought that part of the game where he needed to go get a bucket, he knew how to get to his spots and get an efficient shot that he knew he can make.
Speaker 2: That's fire man, Man. I appreciate you for coming on the show.
Speaker 3: Bro.
Speaker 1: I obviously want to wish you happy Father's Day.
Speaker 4: Absolutely sunning you out, man, It's crazy.
Speaker 3: I was laying down today and my wife is the house. I saw it then aggressive man foursday Sunday. She said, yeah, four and seven kids, I should know that.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I saw Ma's got a few offers.
Speaker 3: Huh he did, man? He bawling, Yeah, he balling, man, Now he bothered man about six three six folk. You know, point guard handling that thing. Got a good body. Now he's gonna be straight. And my and my other son is a freshman with me. So I got dad. Yeah, but you know my other one, the one you talking about, I ain't gonna seeing him. He getting some offers.
Speaker 4: So man, DePaul just called about in the day.
Speaker 3: So he got Washington, he got Louisi, and he probably the Mexico State about ten offers now, So been proud of man. Hey, man, I'm you know, I'm a proud dad. Man. That's right, that just got back from the NBA top wanted hunted camp with him. Man, man, it's a blessing. Man. I got one of my son that's on my staff. My oldest son is one of my assistant coaches coaching my son here a freshman.
Speaker 4: Then I got this.
Speaker 3: I'm about to be a senior in high school. That's gonna be to pick wherever you want to go. Oh, man, I bet I was in the NBA Chop one hundred camp. My one that's assistant coach was in their camp. My freshman that was in the camp last year.
Speaker 1: He was.
Speaker 3: So, man, I'm blessed. Man, Like I don't have no complaints. Now I got seven boys. Man, so I get to, you know, do this thing over and over again. That's why I'm in coaching, man, just to I love what I do.
Speaker 4: Man, I love what I do.
Speaker 3: I love where I'm at. I appreciate, I appreciate you guys like you know, guys like yourself. Man that you know the friendships that I created over my life. Man, and I just sit back.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: I don't do much man, you know, I just love what I do. I coach, be around my kids, man, sit on my akers know in Mississippi posted up, Man, I love it.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 1: That's incredible.
Speaker 2: Bro. I'm happy for you. I was rooting like hell for y'all to get that one last game and get in that. But it's coming this year.
Speaker 3: It's definitely about God speed man.
Speaker 4: Everything. You know, everything for a reason is the reason I ain't win that part.
Speaker 1: But it's coming. It's definitely. I appreciate you, brother, Thank you.
Speaker 3: I appreciate you.
Speaker 2: I just want to mission again showing me how to take care of guys that come after me. You know what I'm saying, Like what you did for me, I can never thank you enough. It showed me. It just showed me more. You know what I'm saying, it showed me what it could become for me, and then it also showed me what it needed to look like for the guys that come after me. And you ain't know me from a canap paiint, you know what I'm saying, Like I ain't grow up with somebody you brought up or in your neighborhood.
Speaker 1: You ain't know me from a canap paignt.
Speaker 2: You just saw a young dude in the NBA trying to make it and to take me in like that.
Speaker 1: I'll never forget it, and I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: And we're gonna have some more conversations about Jackson State because you know, I'm a proud Michigan State donor, no doubt tied all.
Speaker 1: Day, proud Michigan State donor.
Speaker 2: But and I got a lot of respect for what you're doing, and hearing that.
Speaker 1: Meant a lot to me.
Speaker 2: So I hope someone out there heard what I heard and feel how I feel and want to bring or help you know what I'm saying. It's hard to carry it off, but just to offer a helping hand. So we'll be chopping it up about that, for sure.
Speaker 3: I appreciate that. I appreciate it out man. It's all love man, Love you man. Appreciate you man, keep doing what you're doing.
Speaker 1: Appreciate you. Coming on all right, boy, it's sir. To the rest of y'all out there. That's a rap from this episode of The Draymond Green Show.
Speaker 2: We just had a legend on here, but like I said, even more than legend, somebody who cared about the next guys.
Speaker 1: Because that's what keep this thing going is.
Speaker 2: You know, you see the finished product, but you don't see the people going through it and the people that's offering a helping hand. The vets like vets is a missing thing in this league today, and I am a product of great vets.
Speaker 1: Jermaine O'Neill, David Lee, Andrew Bogan.
Speaker 2: Carl Landry, Richard Jefferson, Moe Williams, a guy who took me on this wing. I ain't play with you know, I'm a product of that soul. I always had an utmost appreciation for guys like that, and I'll always try to be that guy to the guys that come after me. And hopefully I can help like Mo help me, and we can continue this day roll so the fans get what they want till next time. That's a rap from this episode of The Draymond Green Show with Baron Davis.
Speaker 1: We'll see him next time. Peace,