Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, and welcome to Dirt from the Dugout, the latest edition, along with my buddy Justin muse Alum Karl Ravich.
Speaker 2: I know this.
Speaker 1: We've had such a good time so far on this thing, but I'm not sure I've been more excited about a particular guest than I am tonight when we bring on Dusty Baker.
Speaker 2: Justin. This guy will tell you.
Speaker 1: Stories today you can't believe, and all of them are true.
Speaker 3: I'm excited.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: We've had a good run and I've been looking forward to talking with Dusty a lot more.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: This is going to be fine.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be fun.
Speaker 1: Just a reminder for everybody, please ask questions that you want us to ask Dusty, and we promised to get to it. Will be with Dusty for about forty five minutes to one hour. Get your questions into the chat. And beyond his baseball story and life story and journey, He's written a book, Justin, and I know you've seen it. It's called Crossroads, and it really is all about everything that Dusty has done in his life. I've got a chance to look through the entire book and it touches on things a you didn't know about Dusty. It touched on things that I did know about Dusty but didn't know the detail of the depth of it, from his days as a kid, to the people that he I'm out with, to the musicians he knew, to the relationships with his mom and with his dad and with his son Darren, to presidents, to the people that were living underneath bridges. That this is the type of eclectic, wonderful human being that Dusty is. So we'll get to all the baseball, but we're gonna touch on all these things because I think there's so many valuable life lessons that Dusty has learned that can help the parents and the players that we have as part of our great team here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and if anyone has any questions as we go, just throw them into the chat on YouTube and we will try to get to as many as we can, and we will get to them as we go throughout the whole show Man. It's fun to see the different questions. There's some great questions doesn't have to be baseball related. Dusty's open to talking about anything, you know, maybe about his roses or something, you know, maybe there'll be some questions about that.
Speaker 1: His roses is one. Let's bring them in. Let's get Dusty Baker, the future Hall of Famer, into Dirk from the dugout there he is, hello, man, Hello Dusty, Yeah, hi man, how you doing How?
Speaker 2: I am doing great? I am doing great. Your your clause? I retired.
Speaker 1: I know you're a special advisor for the Giants. You just managed Team Nick or Walgo in the WBC. But look at how relaxed you look compared to Justin and me.
Speaker 2: Well, hey man, you know, I'm trying to live a relaxed life, trying to stay busy at the same time. And uh, you know, life's good. I mean know, life's real good. And uh you know I can spend time with my grandsons four and six. I can I get to go to the ballpark the river Cats twice a month here in Sacramento, Uh you know, to watch the Triple A. And I go to San Francisco twice a month, and I spend time at the winery. So hey man, life is good. Life is good. It's good to hear. That's really good to hear.
Speaker 1: And I know all about Darren. It's great to hear about your grandkids as well. For the people that are on here, Dusty. This is about trying to help them with the advice you can give for parents of players at really any age and their baseball journey. Nobody has had as a unique journey. I don't think as you have. I know it's a broad question, but when you look back on your baseball life, is there a way that you can kind of summarize it to open some doors that we can then go down to talk about for the people at home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's good question, you know. Number One, I was a twenty fifth round draft choice and they're only twenty six rounds and a lot of teams told me there after I made it that they were going to draft me in the next round, So that left one round for the other twenty something teams. But the thing about it is I was so fortunate to, you know, to get drafted by the Braves, which I did not want to get drafted by the Braves because that was a time of civil unrests nineteen sixty seven. There was freedom marches, they were you know, piece and love. There was anti Vietnam, there was an anti conformity completely around the country. And I get drafted by the Braves, met the Great Hank Aaron and he told me said, hey, Dussie, if you have enough confidence in yourself to you know, to be in the big leagues by the time year your graduating class would have graduated from college and signed. If not go to college and then lo and behold here I was. I was in the big league next year at nineteen years old. And you know, they made me feel, you know, like they excuse me, like I belong. You know, they were guys on the team, Felipe Alou, Joe Tory, you know, Rico Cardi, Bob Tillman, Cleete Boyer. I have a picture, uh, you know, they took me and Ralph out to the Playboy Club when we were our first week in the in the big leagues in Atlanta, and he brought us a suit and uh. And I kept this polaroid and I sent it to my buddy. I was like, man, my best buddy that I went to high school, and I said, man, this is the big leagues. And uh in that picture. In that picture was Ralph Guard, myself, Cleat Bowyer and and and Bob Uker. And so that was my introduction, you know, to the big leagues. Uh. The main thing is is that it only takes one person to like you. And the person that liked me was Bill White, because not many people believed in me. Uh. The general manager, who was Paul Richards, trusted Bill White's judgment and and he said that, uh, you know, I played all four sports trying to be like Bobby Bonds. I grew up I lizing Bobby Bonds, my dad and Bobby's the league coaching. And he said that if he if I could take all those uh love for the sports and and talent and and and and and take and put them into one one sport, that I could be something. And my dad told me that if I changed my attitude and and shorten my temper, that you know, I could do anything that I wanted to do.
Speaker 1: All right, let's press pause because there's a billion things that you just talked out there. So well, your dad, your dad was Bobby Bond's.
Speaker 2: Littlea coach, Yeah for real. And so that's unbelievable. Yeah, I didn't know that. Yeah, And I and then Bobby's mom baby sat me. And then Bobby's sister, older sister Rosie, who went to the Olympics, she baby sat me too, you know, and so uh, well, you know, all of us and so like, you.
Speaker 1: Know, then you ended up babysitting Barry baby.
Speaker 2: That's pretty good, exactly babysitting, you know, but that's pretty good. Okay, you got me on that one.
Speaker 1: I got you there before. Where you go on? This is really about the people that are part of our team. We have questions that they want to ask you, and then I'll and Justin will follow up. Here's the first one. This is comes from mt. It says, what advice do you give players, Dusty when it comes to dealing with failure, particularly young players that may be experienced it for the first time as they move to the higher levels.
Speaker 2: Good question. What I try to tell my player is that you're one at bad away from a hot streak, and everything starts with one, and you have to forget yesterday if it was bad, and remember yesterday if feels good, and then build on top of that. So you know, my my main I mean, a winning streak starts at one, losing streak starts at one, and so does a you know, so do's a batting streak. So it starts with one, and it's a new day every day, all right.
Speaker 1: Good advice, Good advice. Next one comes from chan Best advice a coach gave you you and best advice that you provide young prospects. I'm more interested in the first part. What was the best piece of advice that a coach ever gave you?
Speaker 2: Don't lie to me. Yeah, I mean, that's what my high school coach told me. That's what a couple of professional coaches told me. And this is what I tell my players. You know, it's like, give me a chance to understand, because if you lie to me, I have no chance of understanding and I can't help you, and I won't This will be between me and you. I won't tell anybody unless it's life threatening or if you committed like a serious crime. And you know, I learned that in the military when I was in the Marines and said, hey, you know, you got to just give name, rank and serial number, take it to your grave if it's if it's somebody else's word or problem, great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Dussie. One thing I was always curious of. You've played for so long, you coach for so long, right, and you know, you win a lot of ball games, but there's only one happy team at the end of every season, right, And so as a manager, you go through a lot of seasons, really good seasons that you had, you won a lot of games. Did it feel like unfinished business? Are unsatisfying at the end of the season when you didn't win it all?
Speaker 2: Well, if you had a good team, and you know, when you have a good team now now, if you don't have a good team, it's almost like you can't wait till the season to end because it gets long. But if you have a good team and you have a bona fide chance to win, then it's always like you, you know, you have unfinished business. And but that's the beauty of the game. You know, there's always going to be one winner every spring. You start the next year, you know, thinking that it's going to be you, And like al Campan has told me, when you start the season, you know, you think you have a good team, but you really don't know. And you have to go around the league one time and then you'll see, do I need another left handed bat, or do I need a couple of left handed relievers, or do I have you know, do I need some more speed or do I need another starter? So it takes a while. You know, once you go around the league, then you can compare yourself you know, to other teams and see if you have enough.
Speaker 1: Was there was there one team, Dusty that you felt when the season ended, I did have the best team and we should have won and we didn't.
Speaker 2: A couple of times and uh and uh, I felt like that. In my very first year, you know, we won one hundred and three games and there was no wild card team, and you know, like I went to the stadium every day to watch the playoffs and sat in my office. And then my wife finally told me, hey, you know, you can't bring it back, and you know, come on home, because I was going there every day. And then you know, you know, two thousand and two, I felt that we had the best team, you know. And and another time and uh, in two thousand and three, when we were in Chicago and we lost to the Florida Marlins, I felt that we had the best team. And and it hurts, you know, you know when you lose, and and and I felt that we had the best team in Washington, you know, the first year we lost to Chicago. The second year we lost to Chicago. But the but the best team doesn't always doesn't always win. You know, you gotta ad some breaks. You got to ask some things, you know, go your way, and uh you got to capitalize on them, right. Uh? Nice?
Speaker 1: A nice compliment comes in here from one of our one of our teammates. So went to a Cal game a few years ago. Dusty was watching Darren play. But Dusty happily took time to chat and sign autographs for all the kids in the stands. I imagine Dusty, you know you maybe you were always like that, but at some point you realize there's an obligation almost as a player or former manager or current manager to those people. When did that happen in your life?
Speaker 2: It actually happened when I was a little league. It went to U. Yeah, you know, I went to the Coliseum to watch the Dodgers play and there was a there was a player on the Cardinals that that you know, was rude to me and told me to get out of here. Kid, And I cried, and I never asked for another autograph till I was like thirty years old, and I said, if I ever make it to the big leagues, that you know, I didn't think I was going to make to the big leagues as a as a baseball player. I always thought I was going to be a basketball player. But I said to myself that if I make it to the big leagues, you know, I'm gonna try to sign for every kid, because you I don't want a kid to feel like I felt that day.
Speaker 3: I like it, Dusty, obviously, you know you brought you watch different sports, and you see in the NFL they do the jersey swap thing. Now as a manager, as a player, who would be the person that you think of that you wish you had their jersey because you loved watching them player, you loved how they went about their business. Who was that for you in your career?
Speaker 2: Elsen Baylor?
Speaker 3: Hmm, interesting, interesting here, Dusty.
Speaker 2: Sorry, man, I loved Elsen Baylor. You know he's j only on at the top of the key, you know what I mean. My dad goes, what's wrong with their head? I said nothing, Daniel Melson Bailey, He goes, no, you're not. You're Dusty.
Speaker 1: You didn't like You didn't like the Sheltics very much, did you, Dusty?
Speaker 2: No, I didn't like him at all, Baking because they won all the time. And then and then once I became a manager, I was hoping that I'd win all the time. And I remember asking Bill Russell. I asked Bill Russell, you know, how did you guys win all the all those games? Was it Rid Rbach or was it Habiletek you Sam Sam Jones or whatever it is? And he told me that we loved each other and that and that really floored me because you know, you don't think of Bill Russell when it comes to love. And he told me that they loved each other, which I took with me. You know, you know, to other teams that I that I managed.
Speaker 1: I think about Bill Russell as the greatest defensive player I ever saw, and that he used to vomit before every game and that was the keyth Oh yeah I.
Speaker 2: Didn't know that. Oh yeah, oh yeah, yeah sure. Did he vomit a private did he mess up? Yes?
Speaker 1: No, he went into the bathroom. He was in the bathroom.
Speaker 2: Okay, good good, Yeah he did, he did.
Speaker 1: But you know, you bring up, you bring up this idea that Russell shared with you about those Celtics teams, and he said, uh, you know, we all loved each other. Well, you've been a manager for so many different franchises and you won division titles with.
Speaker 2: All of them. How do you build that?
Speaker 1: You know, for parents who were coaching little league teams or travel teams, whatever they be doing. How do you build that love in a clubhouse? So they all start playing for we instead of me?
Speaker 2: Right well, and it's getting it's getting tougher to do that because of branding. You know, look at me, and you know there's more individual lies. Uh you know, notoriety now than there used to be. But you know the thing about it is is that I built it because I never had a bunch of rules. Because somebody has to enforce all these rules and my rules where don't lie to me, show up to work on time, and give me all you have. Uh, you know while you work and uh you know, you're you got the best job in America. Uh you know, if you work an eight hour day, boy, that is a long, long game. And so you're you're looking at four and a half to five hour days and you make a great living and uh, you know, appreciate where you are, Appreciate what you have and uh you know how many people in life reached their lifetime goals, you know, before they're thirty years old. So some of them are twenty five from six, twenty seven years old, and you have to maximize that because somebody is always trying to take your job from below, and somebody on your team a lot of times trying to take your job. And I asked Jim gilliam I said, I said, you know, Jim, how do you stay in the big leagues? He told me, he said, if there's a kid trying to take your job, he said, send them back to the miners. Like pee wee recent about eight guys back to the miners. And he says, if there's a guy on your team trying to take your job, he says, keep them on the bench. And I said, how you do that? He says, he says, by going out there playing and performing, you know, every day what I tried to do. Yeah, it's a valuable lesson.
Speaker 3: That's great, So Dusty, when you look at just your your career and playing managing your life. Obviously the book that that's out, Now, what was the purpose or what is your what is your passion? A reason behind wanting to come out with a memoir?
Speaker 2: Well number one, everybody been asking for like forty years. And when I was on the doors, I'm serious and I promised, I promised a guy that I would write it, you know, with him Lyles, Spencer and h And when I was ready to write it, you know, I had to make sure that I was out of the game because you know, you'll get black ball, and in baseball it happens. And you know a lot of times baseball doesn't when the negative things said or negative comments or like everything is in the utopia situation and it's really not, you know, because it's a microcosm of the world. And I just thought about some of the things that I've been through, some of the things my family, my brother, black people, white people that we've all been through that sometimes needs to be said and and and you know, I declare my heart and my mind as well. And you know, we all have certain problems. And a lot of times people think that here a professional play, everything's just beautiful all the time. But you know, we got the same problems that everybody else has. It's just said, you have to deal with it and go perform on a daily basis, and hopefully this to help, you know, some people that are that are struggling. And a lot of times I talk to people and they feel hopeless. And you know, above all, you got to give you got to give people some hope and hopefully is to give people some hope.
Speaker 1: This is the book that Justin just referred to. It's called Crossroads. It's a memoir. It's about three hundred pages long. I know Dusty spent about two and a half years writing it, and again I strongly encourage people to go out there and get it. Dusty, what what was the what was the most difficult chapter to write about in the book.
Speaker 2: Well, the most difficult thing, period was to have to uh, you know, relive some of the things that I had suppressed in my life, you know, to you know, to have to relive uh you know, my departure in LA, to relive my divorce, to relive uh you know, like like how I had the and the I R S. That was probably the most you know, difficult chapter. You know, some of it I brought on myself, and some of it you know, was forced upon me. But you know there are times when I I kind of wanted to quit, not kind of I wanted to quit and I wanted to quit life period. And I remember, I mean, it was so vivid to me talking to Pete Rose on first base because Pete he was in Milville's forty four game Hidden Street and he his dad died, he was getting divorced, and I asked him, I said, Pete, how are you doing this? And I'll always I'll never forget. He said, Dusty, you have to use the ballpark as a sanctuary away from your problems, because when you get back home from the ballpark, the same problems are there that you left. And so, yeah, you know, to me, the ballpark was a you know, it was a sanctuary, you know, for me. And I learned that from Pete Rose.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I Justin, I know, we've got a couple more questions here from our group, but you know, and Justin works with a bunch of recruits, he works with young kids. He's an advisor, Dusty, I think, and having covered the sport for so long, we do tend to lose sight of the fact that the managers, the coaches, the players are real people too. And I think this book a great job kind of letting people see behind the curtain.
Speaker 3: All right, Justin, Yeah, absolutely, let's get to this question. So, Dusty, this is awesome.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Are you able to walk through the two thousand and three NLCS Game six Steve Bartman, this is a conversation you've had a thousand times Dusty or more. But right, let's uh, yeah, I'd love to hear your thoughts on that.
Speaker 2: Well, that wasn't one of the top five worst worst things that happened on the baseball field to me. I mean, you know, we had an opportunity, you know, to win that game, you know, opportunity to turned over play, opportunity to base the loaded who had and you know a number of our opportunities they kind of took it. You know. The Bartman thing didn't help. And I felt sad for Bartman because here's a guy that caught the al come to the game to root his team on, that had never been there in along, that hadn't been there in a long time. And then you know, at the end of the day, I mean, this guy was the biggest goat in in in Chicago, and quite frankly, quite frankly, like man, I mean that that was a sad situation for me. I wanted to win the next year and and and I was going to invite Bartman, you know, to come right in the in the car and or take a tape parade with me and my family. And yeah, I mean that was one of my motivations. We didn't get there. You know, we got knocked out by Houston right right after that. But that was my goal and my uh purpose.
Speaker 1: You know, did you did you ever interact with him, Justine? Did you ever see him again?
Speaker 2: Nope? I never I never saw I didn't see him in the stand state of truth because see you can't see the left field foul pole from the dugout. I mean because because because the wall, and I didn't even see the play. Now the cub I mean, the Marlins had a great view of the play because they were looking right down the left field line. I'm looking down the right field line, and then I didn't see it until after the game on TV. And you know, but I could tell by Moye Says's reaction and by the way I thank him and aramis from Maris and Derek Lee are two of the most three of the most underrated players that that I haven't had. Those guys and Ellis Birds, I mean, those guys are so yeah, mendus mendus players.
Speaker 1: We grew up with Elie Bergs in Boston. Here's here's a question that comes from Cooper Benjamin Dusty and I'll kind of shorten it up a little bit, but he says that he had an uncle who told him the story that in two thousand and two in San Francisco, Rob Nen had blown a few saves. After the game, you and then went out to be on the ballpark and just started fishing, and you hooked a monster thirty pound fish, and the entire time you two were fighting the fish, and he didn't blow another save after that because you said, this is how I want you to fight. Just as a caveat. I'll say this as the host of Baseball Tonight. Every single night, it felt like when Rob Nen came into the game and we had to stay until the game was over. Poor Rob Nen would occasionally blow a game. Is the fish story truth?
Speaker 2: I don't remember. I did take all the guys fishing Tato too, because you know, we'd fished right behind the ballpark. That's what I said. Yeah, that's true. But Rob Nenn was one of the best guys, I mean closes I had. I mean, uh, rob Nen, I don't think, well, if he blew a safe, I think it was always Levana Hernandez and it was never Curt Reader. And that's why maybe they're maybe that's why they're best friends. Like, right now, that's funny, that's really funny.
Speaker 1: So so you do you know, look, in games, you deal with disappointments.
Speaker 2: We got that.
Speaker 1: You sort of talked about that when you when you have play players who are at the height of their you know, sort of their game. Like I'll take Barry for example, Barry failed to Kerry Wood and Mark Pryor failed, Bryce Harper failed. Is it different when the stars fail? Or is it just like everybody else? And how you handle it because a lot of the parents here have kids that are the stars and maybe they have a harder time dealing with failure.
Speaker 2: Well, you know something, baseball, as long as you played baseball, you're going to fail. Trust me, I fail. I saw Hank Aaron fail, William May failed. They just don't fail as often as everybody else, but they do fail, and and and and you have to have a strong mind and will to deal with failure and and and Baseball is as much like life as anything because it's not always up and up. Sometime you're down and then you got to kick yourself. You got to pick yourself right back up. And see, there are times in baseball and I can remember I was the hero on Monday, and I was a goat. I blew the game on Tuesday. And so that's why they always told us what I was coming up. You don't get too high when it's going good, and you don't get too low when it's going badly, because see, this game will humble you on a daily basis, and so you have to try to try to be It's hard. You got to try to be as even keeled as possible. Yeah, I like that, Dusty.
Speaker 3: I want to go to another question one of our team members, So from Coleman Foley, what did you learn from your favorite coaches that you then used in your coaching career.
Speaker 2: Good question, Well, that's a really good question. The coaches that I really remember from from high school mister McCullough, Spider Jorgenson, which I had in American Legion, Jim gilly and Clint Courtney, shoot all all the great coach that I had pressing gold Man as Jim Gilliam is that they all would would recognize is like like differences in your personality and therefore they could tell you know which button to push or something was wrong with you. You know, if you're a guy that talked a lot, and all of a sudden you're quiet, or if you're a guy that was quiet and all of a sudden talks a lot, something's going on, and something's going and they all recognize that that when something's going on off the field, because see the off the field men, the concentration that you need to play baseball is so exact and different between a file ball pop up and a homer, And if your concentrations off just a little bit, then then it's gonna tell in your performance.
Speaker 1: So is that something that parents can learn is that when did you recognize your ability to kind of read the room? Like Carl's not feeling good today, but he seems okay. But I when did you recognizing you sort of had that skill? Did you develop it? And then how did you use it?
Speaker 2: Well? Actually I didn't know I had it, but my high school coach, my basketball coach, and noticed that that something was wrong with me because I came home one day and my mom and dad and were no longer married. From that day forward, I never saw him argue you never saw anything. Now, all of a sudden, me being the oldest of five, I was a man at the house and I'm I'm blowing layups and I'm missing free throws. And that's when that's when my high school coach he told me said, Dusty's wrong. And I'm like, oh, nothing, man, Everything's cool. And then I couldn't wait for him to keep priding and asking me because I trusted him and and you know, he's the one that taught me. Then Jim Gilliam, you know, later on when I was having troubles in my marriage, he could see it. And the good ones, you know, you know, they noticed the personality changes, but they don't pry. They kind of wait for you, you to to to kind of give them opening to you know, to talk, you know, talk to you. M I like that.
Speaker 3: So going back to the managing days, Dusty, one of the things I think is lost in today's game a little bit is the understanding of how important a manager's feel is within a game. Right We're in this analytical era, which is which is great, but the feel of a manager, that experience and knowing the players and understanding what they're good at in the in the right move at the right time. Tell me about your experience and that as a manager after after being a player, and how you learned learned how to gain that feel in a game and make the right moves at the right time based on some of that feel.
Speaker 2: Well, sometimes you know, yeah right, I don't know if you've made the You don't know if you're reading the right move or not until later. And sometimes you can make the right move, all the right moves, and if the players don't perform or come through, then then it appears to be the wrong move. Or sometimes you can make the wrong move and the player you know, bails you out. I actually learned that in the Marines because my last day at boot camp, I had a UH drill started named Sergeant Goolsby, and this guy big brother, he filled out his fatigues man and I didn't think he liked me, So I didn't think he liked me. And uh, I was in advanced mode of transport and I did six months and then UH, you know, five and a half years UH in the reserves. And he told me that if my unit get called up, he said us, you have to listen to the the the second lieutenant that studied war strategy and whatever academy went to. But if you want to get home, he says, you listen and hang around that second. I mean that that staff sergeant who's two tour of Vietnam and he will get you home. You know, he knows where the uh uh uh booby traps are, you know where snipers should be and so uh you know that taught me right then about about the field and experience and and and I've had the bad reputation like, well, Dustry don't like saber mentions. Well that's a that's a lie. You know. It's like, dude, I like to use both. You know, I like these my feelings and I used math. I mean ever since I ever since I played baseball. When I was playing in high school, I had a wrist band and I had like everything that I did. Say, if I went one for four, my average would go down this and that, and if I was one for three and I had it all figured out, Yeah, I had it all figured out before the game. So you know, like I like, I like, I like both the combination of the two. Uh. You know, to me, it's a way to go love es.
Speaker 1: And I know, I know you've seen Dusty and having worked with Dusty and covered Dusty for years, Dusty never was caught without having risk on I mean Dusty dressed for the game when he was managing. So you know, Dusty, why did you do that? Like you did you want to still feel like a player? Have players relate to you?
Speaker 2: What what led to that? You know what I'm saying. I've been asked that. Man, I didn't feel like a player. I knew what I was, okay to me, it was just it was part of the uniform. Like ever since I played, I always had always had wristbands. I had little skinny arms, and I had one little skinny wristband. Then I went to the double wristband. And then because I like to tell people that, hey, man, late in the game, basis load, it gets hot and dug out and you gotta wipe your brow and part of us, part of you know, part of us, a little bit of supicision. I remember one time, Billy Williams, I had like eight different combination of colors. Right, I forget what team I was on, and we were going in Chicago and Billy Williams he said, He's called me Johnny Bee because our birthdays on the same days. So I was close to Billy. He said, Johnny b I've been watching you, man, he says, you about to run out of color combinations, aren't you? And I says, and I was too, because we had lost like seven eight in a row, and so I was like, dang. I was like, I was like, maybe Billy's maybe Billy's gone to me, you know what I mean? And he was so but I didn't admit it, but he was right all the way. He was onto it. That's great, that's great.
Speaker 3: I want to get to this question, Mitch Larson asked here. It's a great one. So where's the toothpick? Dusty?
Speaker 2: You ask?
Speaker 3: You want to make sure you want to know where your toothpick is? Then he goes onto the streets. Now, how important is conditioning like running poles or sprints for pictures? And how different is a recovery routine for pictures now versus ten years ago? Good question, Mitch.
Speaker 2: That's that is great. Now. Number one, I started the toothpicks because I was dipping tobacco and my dentili Gens told me that if you don't stop, you know, you either get cancer, which I already had, or you'd ever seeding gums, and so U I stopped. But the only thing is like, no, but the ninth inning bases loaded two outs. I ended up having both. You know what I mean, he kicks at it. But but you know something about the question. See, when I was in LA, we didn't have any any arm problems. We had Sutton, we had uh, Jerry Royce, we had Tommy John, Dave Stewart, Bobby well Sutcliffe, all these guys. I'd be coming in the Dodger Stadium and they would be running out and they would go up around the police academy. They'd run for about an hour and then and then we'd go off for batting practice and they'd just be coming into the uh, you know, Dodger Stadium on the field. And then one day I was first and Jenkins got traded to the Texas Rangers, and we're I was with LA and we were playing and Pompino Beach and then the pictures used to run line the line poles or do pickups and stuff. So ferguson Jenkins he ran for five innings line the line, So I said, Fergy's through. And then he took a glass of water and ran four more innings. So I asked him, I said, Fergie, what are you doing all this running for? And he said, Dusty, why do you think I won twenty games four or five years in a row and pitched three hundred innings four or five years in a row because he ran. And I believe, especially with the pitchers like Johnny Quaito listened to me and I told Johnny, this is a rookie. And I said, and he started running the you know, the stands, and I like to see pictures, you know, start running again. Yeah, I can tell you this.
Speaker 1: There's a guy that hated the Celtics before games. Larry Bird would run up and down the stairs inside the Boston Gardens. The great ones seemed to have an understanding that it takes things like that, Dusty, I think it's important to pick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hey, carl, let me tell you Larry Bird story right quick. Now. See we were in Saint Louis, and so every time we go someplace, then they would use the Dodgers as a recruiting trip to try to convince a kid to come, like, uh, Pittsburgh. It was Barbie Majors had had Dan Marino come in. Then you go to San Diego. Yeah, and so they had Michael Ka. So here's Larry Bird. Tommy John brings in Larry Bird, So I said, who is this dude? He played on basketball time ago. Man, He's the baddest dude. So my brother played against them at Indiana State. He went to up and he got on the phone and told me that this is the baddest dude that he ever saw. So I really started watching Larry Bird after that. And and and he was one of the baddest dudes they ever played basketball.
Speaker 1: He wasn't afraid of it. He wasn't afraid of chirp about it either to anybody.
Speaker 2: He was good doing that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's important, Dusty. We got a question here from Mark and then I think we really should get into the relationship you had with Hank Aaron. But Mark's question is, Dusty, what was the most difficult moment during your twenty twenty two run to win a ring with the Astros?
Speaker 2: Hmm, most difficult moment was, well, my most difficult moment was was trying to convince the upstairs people that that my lineup was was correct and in the book. And yeah, I mean that was my most difficult moment. I was say, hey, this might be my last chance, and I remember what Hank Aaron told me, and I had kind of listened to some people before in the past, and I was like, no, I'm gonna listen. I'm gonna listen to myself and listen to my heart. Yep.
Speaker 1: You know what they say, Dusty, the only thing more dangerous than somebody with a lot to gain is somebody with nothing to lose. And there you were saying, I'm at the end, I'm doing it my way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right. Well, and then it made me the wayside had done it my way like before that, because I might have had like three or four more.
Speaker 1: You know, that's just so beautiful. That's good, Dusty. We kind of go around and we ask people like kitchen sink questions. So this is a little bit kind of a little out of the ordinary. But before we get to the kitchen sink, tell the people and tell all of us sort of the dynamic that you had with Hank Aaron. Maybe stuff that people don't know about or maybe can't read about, but I mean, I know how critical he was in your development and in your life.
Speaker 2: True. Well, you know, he promised my mother that he would take care of me as if I was his son. And also it was Ralph guard myself. We went to Hank's home. We were in Hank's room every day on the road. You know, if we had any problems, you know, Hank was who we went to. And you know, Hank always had an answer, and he had to answer for everybody on our team. And the time that we were lost was when when he broke the record seventy four and then seventy five. We were all by ourself without Hank, Ralph, Marty Perell's, you know, Darryl Evans, all of us were lost. And you know, like Hank was not only our leader, but he was the best citizen at the same time. And a lot of times, you know, your best ball player isn't necessarily your best citizen or leader. A lot of times it's your secondary players that are that are the primary, you know, leaders on your team. But the thing that people don't know is how much Hank liked to laugh. And you know, he'd make me and Ralph Nick, make me and Ralph sit by him on the plane, and you know, I mean he would like grab us by our wrists and make sure we didn't leave it in one time. We'd always go to Hank's room, so Eddie Matthews would always check me in Ralph Guard's room and he's like, Eddie's like, are you guys in here? Oh yeah, Eddie, we're going to sleep. He says, okay. So now we wait about thirty minutes and we go to Hank's room and we sit down there and talk and talk to Hank. And then one time Eddie comes down there and he wants to talk to Hank because he says he went back by our room and he goes, man, those two little he used to call us little bastards. Where those two little bastards at? And he goes, man, they slipped out of the hotel. Well, we're in Hank's closet. Now, Now Eddie wants to talk to Hank. Yeah, I think did he have anything to drink.
Speaker 5: That Eddie wants to drink? So me and Ralph we were in there in that closet about two hours. We're finding sleep in the closet.
Speaker 1: That is that's fantastic. That is such a good So did you you slept in the closet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, until Eddie left, you know, were but but but but Hay's closet was was was as big as me and Ralph's room.
Speaker 2: Room.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sure right there are worse closets to have to fall asleep in. All right, here's kitchen sink. You managed thousands of players, Hall of famers, some of the flameouts too. With which player left the most indelible impression on you?
Speaker 2: Which player? Hm? Boy? Uh, probably probably William McGhee will Why? Yeah, Well, because WILLI was h constant team player, and Willie was the same every day. And uh and uh, and he's very unselfish. And then and Willie and he was very you know, very humble. Yeah, internally he was, he was very confident, but externally he's Externally he's very humble.
Speaker 1: Okay, Uh, you've kind of given this one away, I think. But you're a lover of basketball. Who was the best player you ever saw play? And what was it about his or her game that you liked the most?
Speaker 2: Well, the best the best player I've seen play is uh doctor J. Okay. I mean I loved the Algebata, but I fell in love with doctor J. You know when he was in the A B A. Because I watched all them dudes. Man, you know Laverne Tard, I played I played uh Downtown, I'm Freddie Brown. I played high school basketball. You know, with Doctor Dunk, Darnel Hellman who played with George McGinnis, and uh, you know, I'm a basketball man, and that A b A. You know, Oh, the A B A had some bad dudes, and the Dan Issel and Charlie Scott, I mean, you name him, and they had him, you know, big George McGinnis. I just loved watching a BA basketball Elvin Hayes from the corner. And I'm sure the big.
Speaker 1: When you saw when you saw doctor J grab Larry Bird by the throat and Bird grabbed J by the throat, I'm sure you were saying, choke him out, choke him out right now.
Speaker 2: But see, but I don't remember that. Oh yeah, you don't remember that. Oh they choked. They had that in the playoffs. They were choking each other. Okay, So who choked out? Who tapped out? Anybody?
Speaker 1: I think Daryl Garritson gotten away and broke him up. JC O'Donnell. I have no idea commissioner for a day baseball one rule would you either put in or take out?
Speaker 2: I put in a margin around the automatic strike zone because I put a margin about at least an inch all the way around, because nobody has that kind of eye except the machine, and not the umpire, not the batter, not the pitcher, not the catcher. Nobody has that kind of eye. Because when I go to these the games and this hits like one hundredth of an inch, and oh, the only guy that I remember they had that kind of eye was he called him God. He was an umpire. I can see him now and I would ask him, I said, Man, I say, Doug Harvey. And as I'd ask Doug, I said, Doug, where was that pitch? He says, Son, it hit the front corner of the black And I was like, I couldn't argue that that's why.
Speaker 1: God, Yeah, last one on the kitchen sink, Dusty. So in the book, you know, you're you're You've got Hendrix, Jimmy Hendrix, You've got Barack Obama, you got all these players and managers, you got friends, you got your as you said, your boys.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: You know, if you had to spend the last sort of supper with one of them, or somebody that you haven't yet met, like, who would.
Speaker 2: That be for you?
Speaker 1: Because it seems like you've met everybody almost.
Speaker 2: I'd probably like to spend it with, uh, because all those people I already spent it with I probably like spinding with Marcus Garvey, I think, hmm okay, why yeah, uh, well, because you know, he was like he failed a couple of businesses. You know, he was you know, first shipping line to try to get Africa to the US or to the Caribbean. You know, uh, you know, he's one of my mom's heroes. And he went on through Latin America, South America.
Speaker 3: And.
Speaker 2: I had the fortune I was fortunate to meet his son, who's like, I think eighty five nine years old, Marcus Garvey Junior. And uh, you know, and and see my mom being a black history teacher, black history teacher, you know, we always had books around and uh, you know, Marcus Garby is one of my mom's favorite people. Thank you. That's a great Thanks for sharing that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's great, Dusty. As we kind of finish off here, one thing we ask everybody is your MVP. Who's your most valuable person in your life growing up, whether it's baseball or away from the game.
Speaker 2: Who is that for you? My dad? Yeah, that was my dad.
Speaker 3: That's simple. Yeah, that's awesome, man. What what kind of impact did he have on you? Dusty? What was the long lasting impact that he made on your life.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I mean my dad, You know he was He was honest. He was firm but fair. You know if if fight, I mean my dad was firm now. But my dad was a lot cooler than I gave him credit for it because he didn't bust me on every time he could have busted me. And then and then he kind of let it pile up sometime and then say, okay, boy, you think you're getting away with it. The last week he did this, last month, he did this. Eight months ago, you did this, and then a year ago you did that. He knew I was getting a wing. I thought I was getting away with something.
Speaker 1: Jeez, I thought that. I thought that was your dad called from the other side. As soon as you said Dad, the phone rings and he's calling Dusty right now.
Speaker 2: He knows hey, but no, But you know something, I was in the in the World Series and I was I was at a crossroads. I didn't know what to do. Sometime in the game. You're not sure, so I said, Dad, smile on me if you want me to go get this picture. And actually it was it was grinky. When they had the bases loaded that one time, yep, And I was like and I was like, Dad, Everybody's like, why'd you leave him out there? And I couldn't tell everybody because my dad smiled on me, because they would have like, come on your dad's past already. But but if my dad showed no emotion at all, that meant that he didn't like what you were about to do or like what you were doing. But if my dad just had a smile on his face, boom, then there was one. Come all of these. I told you, I told you he was a cool He was the coolest man on the earth. Here you go. The book is Crossroads. Please go get it.
Speaker 1: It's Dusty Baker's memoirs. Dusty, we could talk to you for about six weeks, and we're gratefully you spend some time with us tonight.
Speaker 2: Really, we are really grateful. Thank you very much. Yeah, thank you you guys. It's been great. Thank you man, see, thank you very much.
Speaker 1: And certainly I want to thank all of the people to justin that asked the questions of Dusty. They were phenomenal. And we invite everybody to come and join us and be a teammate. We call it the Parent Dugout, and it's got so many different aspects to it. We think that's going to make you and you are a child, have the best journey they can. You get the Dirt from the Dugout, which is the live show Baseball recruiting. Confidential access to the best college coaches, learn about the recruiting process from not only them, but from Justin who knows it as well as anybody. Ask Justin and I anything you want, we'll get back to you. The clubhouse conversations bring parents together on their and you can learn from the entire community. We really are grateful to all of you. We continue to grow our team and we look forward to continuing with Dirt from the Dugout and all the other parts of the Parent Dugout. Justin, thanks man, it's been great. We'll see you next week.
Speaker 2: See Buddy,