Joy Mangano: So welcome back to she Pivots. I'm Joy Magano.
Emily Tisch Sussman: Welcome back to she Pivots, the podcast where we talk with women who dare to pivot out of one career and into something new and explore how their personal lives impacts these decisions. I'm your host, Emily Tish Sussman.
Speaker 3: Today we're re releasing one of my all time favorite conversations with Joy Mongano for a very exciting reason. The new musical Joy is now on stage in New York City. You know Joy as the inventor of the miracle mop, the author and the inspiration behind the movie Joy, starring Jennifer Lawrence, and of course.
Speaker 4: A previous She Pivots guest.
Speaker 3: As a lifelong theater lover, I couldn't pass up the chance to help bring Joyce story to the stage. It felt like a full circle moment to come in as a co producer of this show. Her journey is everything we celebrate in She Pivots, Resilience, reinvention, and the magic that happens when women bet on themselves. Now, Joy, the musical, starring the phenomenal Betsy Wolf, is out this summer. Seeing Joy come to life on stage has only deepened my appreciation for the conversation that you're about to hear. She's funny, fierce, and deeply honest about the highs and lows of building a life and a business as a single mother of three. So, whether you're discovering Joy through the musical or revisiting her incredible story, I invite you to listen with fresh ears. This episode is a powerful reminder that the most extraordinary pivots often begin in the most ordinary moments. So let's jump back into Joy's story.
Joy Mangano: So, my name is Joy Mangano, and I am first and foremost a mom and an inventor.
Emily Tisch Sussman: I think I'm going to ask you this question now at the beginning of the podcast and actually again at the end. I'm interested to hear how it may change once we go through many various steps of your career in life. But the premise of this show is that I'm trying to change culture, and particularly the culture around the way we think about our careers and even within that the interplay of how our personal decisions impact our professional lives. And I think that's happened to you over the course of your career, Like I feel like there's so many pieces that I could point to, how do you think your personal decisions have impacted your professional choices?
Joy Mangano: Well, my personal decisions guided everything in my career. They were so intertwined. I always said, my life, my family life, my personal life and principles are the same as they are in business. It's not you know how You'll hear people often say, oh, it's just business, don't worry about it. So for me, you know, my growing up being a caretaker so to speak, with my family going through the various stages. You know, I grew up in an Italian family, and of course you you know, they say, you grow up, you get married, you have children, and you cook, and so you know, I started to follow that pattern rite and things in that way kind of didn't go exactly as it was supposed to. So I had to make very hard personal choices and actually find the courage in me to discover who I was and what I actually did. Going back to not knowing, you know, I didn't start my career, so to speak, in my mind until I was in my thirties.
Emily Tisch Sussman: When you were young, did you think you would have a career at all? How did you envision yourself as being a grown up?
Joy Mangano: Right So when I was young, I always I loved animals. I always thought I wanted to be a veterinarian, and I was very, very studious person. So I graduated high school a year early and I went to work in an animal hospital and the doctor was creating a healthy pet food before everybody was focused on that, and designing the packaging and creating the recipe for that was fascinating to me. So I ended up realizing the business aspects, the creation aspects in my brain took over everything else, and that started me in the direction of product and I actually invented my first product.
Speaker 5: Then.
Joy Mangano: It was a fluorescent flea collar because at the time, the most common thing that happened in an animal hospital where dogs or cats hit cars, and there was there was no such thing at the time. So I said, what does every animal? What does every owner put on their animals? And it was a flea collar. So I said, if I can get one, that's make one that's reflective. Now, remember you have to reel back how many years it didn't exist. So I got a lot of veterinarians together and I started it, but I never followed through with it, and a year later, a major, major company came out with the first ever fluorescent flea collar. So I said, next item, I'm going to follow through with. So I was doing that my entire childhood. I was transforming things into other products because I see the world through product. That's how I view the world. And so when we went to build a treehouse in the back, you know, my brother was like, you know, help me build a treehouse. And I built a seven story treehouse with slides and this and that. And even before I even knew what organic gardening was, I ripped up my parents back lawn and was planted vegetables and things. I always tried to create a better, better, a better mouse trap, so to speak. It was just something I did naturally, and I never really thought about it. It just happened organically. I would see something and I'd say, I'm going to do this in a bigger, better way so that it helps the person or helps people in a better way.
Emily Tisch Sussman: Still, Joy did what was typical at the time. She got married straight out of college and had three children. And as someone who had three kids in four years, I know how overwhelming that can be.
Joy Mangano: It shifted everything I did, and much like you, I just you know, when I decide things, I decide to do them. So I had three children in three and a half years, and it obviously was the life change. That is, it's what I live for today. But it really, you know, that's hard and it's you know, as everybody knows, it's a parent. If you put your heart and soul into it, it's all consuming. So I was at the time the miracle mop was in my brain. So I would just be in my bedroom at night with them and I'd be sketching and I'd be trying and I and I kind of was almost like in a holding pattern, knowing I was headed in a direction, you know, at the time. So yes, that you know, that was a time where I took a little bit of a time out. I still, you know, because I didn't have a lot of money or anything. I still was working doing things here and there. I was making grapevine reafs and selling them where I could at you know, fairs and flea markets. I always I was always working in some form or fashion. You know, It's just something I did. But it was inclusive now of children. You know, I was pretty much in a very short period of time doing it on my own. But what I find more than anything having had the children was that I learned this capacity of love that I never had even knew I had, And it just for me opened up a different kind of world. It wasn't you know it was it was about me and what I could do to make them have a happy, healthy life.
Emily Tisch Sussman: Eventually, all her scheming and sketching led her to her breakthrough idea, the Miracle Mop. By this point, Joy was divorced, a single mom, working tirelessly to make ends meet while raising her kids.
Speaker 4: When we come.
Emily Tisch Sussman: Back, Joy talks about what it took to get the Miracle Mop off the ground. Well, you put so much at stake to bring the Miracle Mop to the market and mortgaging your house, going into debt. You know, you put so much in there. But you had had a number of ideas. What made you so sure that this was the product that you should go for?
Speaker 4: Broken?
Joy Mangano: Well, because I was broke. No, that's what you were true. It was in my instincts. And I say, you have to follow your instincts right, because you know it's some people think they have a great product, but you know their instincts are wrong. It's it's not right. But I hate to say that, but nonetheless I knew that this was a great product. It was a different mop. There was a whole story behind it, And at this point in my life, I said, you're either you know, you don't know you're brave until you have to be brave, right, So you know, I had really what were my choices, and I said, I'm going to go for this, and I am going to go for this. So it was I put everything on the line. But it wasn't even that simple. It was one obstacle after another. It was it just from discovering something about the patent to discovering that the people who I ended up you know, my father actually ended up having make it were not reputable. There was just every rediscovery along the way. And I think, you know, that's why I say to somebody, just don't stop, because my if I stopped one hundred percent, I would have failed. But if I tried to keep going and figure out another way to get there, my odds were still better than zero.
Speaker 4: She had risked it all and it was paying off. Soon.
Emily Tisch Sussman: She had hit her goal of selling to Kmart and had a huge order in from QBC.
Speaker 4: She was getting her legs under her or so she thought. If you've seen the movie, you'll know that.
Emily Tisch Sussman: Joy soon realized that her manufacturer was taking steps to steal the product, idea and freeze her out, all because she didn't have proper guidance on her patent.
Speaker 4: In fact, she had no guidance at all, just her father.
Joy Mangano: So my father was a kind of father like, listen, we'll do a deal. I'll take care of it. Don't worry about it. So that's a lesson you learn right away after you know anyway, find out that there was a gentleman we were paying royalties to for the patent to make the mop, the mop that I thought I designed. He said, somebody already designed it, which okay, so then they started to manufacture it. He did a deal. I discovery one night after, to make a long story short, that the patent we were paying royalties to was not the mop I created at all. It was the mop we were making, but it was my design, was an original design. My father mistaken lee a very long story, said oh, there's already a patent. We'll just pay him a royalty. We'll make the mop. So this gentleman in Texas knew it was not the mop we were making. That he was getting a royalty on a patent that was very different. So, to make a very long story short, Eye and the people in California, what had happened is I had been on QVC, it had been successful, and they ordered sixty thousand mops. So the manufacturers in California said, oh, we'll make the mops for you, but we're going to raise the price, which would have meant we were going to lose money. So my father said, and his girlfriend at the time said, that's it. We're at a business. We can't do this. And I said, Okay, I am going to figure this out, and if I do, I'm going to run this company, and so on and so forth. So I flew to Texas. I literally showed him the patent and what he had been getting royalties too, and in a very serious way, I told him that that was unlawful and that he had to sign a letter to say that he would not get the royalties, and that I could go directly to deal with the manufacturers. So when I went to California, he did. When I went to California, and I'm minimizing this whole thing because it was really very like I could have been you know, it was just amazing how I was shaking when I came out of the hotel room that I met him in. When I went out to California claim the mop molds because you have to make the mops from a mold, I went there, landed there and they said, oh no, sorry, we don't have the molds. We're not giving you the molds. We own them. And I said no, no, no, you don't, Mike, cause my father never did contracts with anybody. He never signed contracts. So I said, no, here is the money that's owed for the parts. I'm going to pay you. Those are my molds. And I'll never forget. This guy was not a good guy. And I was sitting there and he had a can of Pepsi on his desk and he said, little girl, go away. He literally said, little girl go away. You just don't. We're going to do this and you're out of it now. I'll never forget. I took the can of pepsi and I slammed it on the desk and the Pepsi just flew all over him. And I said, you're going to see me in court That night. I got the lawyer because I had brought my lawyer with me. We met with a California lawyer and it was an entire night of going through everything. They said, you can't go to court with this. No judge will ever give you because I needed the mop mold back to make the mops to make the order. And I said, no, we're going to go to court because the judge is going to know with all this information that I have, he's going to know who's in the right and who are the bad guys. So they were like, okay, we'll go to court, but there's they never will hand these molds over to you. You're in California, give them to you to take back to New York. It's going to take years to make a long story longer. We went into court the next day, you know, and the lawyer said to me, don't say a word, just sit there right. So they walk in unbeknownst to me. I think they had been in front of this judge before. So everything you know. They're saying, we have manufactured them, we have no contract that she owns them. And I did. I said, judge, here is the money that we know she owes me money. I said, here's the money, here's the you know the evidence that we paid for the mold, so therefore we should own them, even though we don't have a contract. And everything was done, and I hadn't talked yet that they were showing all this information. And the judge said, is there anything else? I said yes, and I got up, and the lawyers were like, oh my god, Oh my god, what's she going to say? And I said, you know, this is my whole livelihood. And I talked earnestly to the judge. He sat back. I sat down, and he said, I'll never forget. He slammed down the gavel and he looked at them and he said, tomorrow at noon, I'm going to have the sheriffs at your manufacturing plan and Joy will be there as well. Joy. You're going to you have a truck to take the molds. I'm like, yes, of course, I had no truck and I had so and he said, and if you don't hand over the molds to Joy, I'm going to have the sheriff's arrest you. So the lawyer at the time had never it's called a certain kind of injunction. He had never seen it happen, and he's never seen it happen. After that and he wrote serious law briefs about this. It was the most incredible thing. And so the next day there was a truck there. The molds were on the truck. They were headed back to New York. I flew back to New York and had to create a fine molders to mold them, create a business to make the mops. And then the last day that the sixty thousand mops had to be on their way to QBC, sixty thousand mops were on their way to QBC.
Emily Tisch Sussman: You were so young when you started. Do you remember what was going through your mind when you not just walked into QBC and said take my product, but then you went back and said it has to be me.
Joy Mangano: So at the time, as we know, you know, the miracle mop was something that I did bring to fruition and I thought the perfect place for that because I used to go to fairs and flea markets and demonstrate it and people loved it. Everybody who watched the demonstration would buy it. So for me going to QVC being able to replicate that, but on TV, I said, this has got to work. And of course, at the time, so it's interesting, you know, I was the only female at a table with men. At the time, this was an industry that loved celebrity, so there was you know, I was like nobody again, you know. So they put the miracle mop on the first time with one of the hosts because they said, you know, you don't go on to you. You know you're not who are you? And it failed and I was I that was it. I had everything to lose. So I said, you have to put me on with that miracle mop and it will work. So they did. You know, there was an executive there who I could see. He saw the determination. He said, okay, we're going to give her a shot. I'm forever grateful for that. And it was unbelievably successful, so successful at the time, it was probably out of all the thousands and thousands of products they had. It became their single biggest success. Not only did we sell twenty thirty forty fifty sixty thousand in a day. At a time, they created a commercial on TV and at the time, if you remember direct Response, it's very interesting. It was always a commercial with a male voice talking through the commercial. Always. It was never any different. So this same executive, I was like his thorn in his side he said, we're going to make a commercial. It's so successful. We're going to make a short form commercial, two minute commercial with the miracle Mop, and we're going to have a gentleman talking over it. And I said, no, it's going to fail. I said, I want to do it this way with me demonstrating it with another this other female host. And he said, okay, well we'll let you do that, but we're only going to put a budget of very little into it, but we're going to film it the other way with a voiceover, and we're going to test both. So they did, and the one with myself and Jane demonstrating the mop, you know, naturally organically right, was like through the roof compared to the other one, and it became the number one direct response TV product in its time at the time and first time ever it was in the forum where you were watching two women talk about a product. So it was pretty cool. Hi, I'm Joymangano, and I invented the Miracle Mop. It's the original cotton self ringing mop, therefore the most absorbent. It will clean that mess again and again and again. And I'm daingered All Tracy host on QVC where we have sold over three hundred thousand mops.
Speaker 4: To people all across the just like you.
Joy Mangano: In fact, let's hear from some of them. I love your mop. It's been a lifesaver. This moth is wonderful. I would tell anybody to buy it. I am Joymangano, and I invented the Miracle Mop. It's the original content self bringing mop. You've seen it, seen even the toughest nets again and again and again. Hundreds of thousands of satisfied customers have ordered their Miracle Mop and love it. And now the Miracle Mop has earned the Good Housekeeping seal. It's quite easy.
Speaker 5: I mean it really changed the industry, Like it changed the way that we thought about women marketing, women being the face of something but also giving value, like business value to a product that really only in this case it was women because they were doing the majority of the housework, could understand like considered a real serious business category.
Emily Tisch Sussman: Did you have those kinds of conversations at the network, Yes, very much so.
Joy Mangano: So then at the time became this big aware that you know, the story telling, the authenticity behind a product is more important than just somebody talking about it or a celebrity endorsing it. It's all about the authenticity. And it's a funny thing that for now twenty five years probably I do. I've always done the most business out of any I just it's something that I do, right. I can't sing or dance, but this I do. And I've been creating product, you know, And it's an interesting thing because you know when you create something new. Example, for the first time, I launched the first non stick ceramic cookware in the world before anybody was taught. Now the whole industry is nonstick ceramic cookwaar. But I was like possessed because I knew that the traditional nonstick was not healthy when it got to high temperatures. And I even with a chef. I got chef because they were like, you know, you know you have to cook and everything. I'm like, fine, I'll get a chef and so we for two years. I fought the battle to launch this product because it's a healthier alternative to the traditional nonstick. And I mean batteries of lawyers saying we're going to get sued because there was only one major company that made the nonstick in cookwear. And you can't say this, and you can't say that, and they said they're not going to understand it. The consumer isn't going to care. And I said, oh no, they're really going to care, because remember, you have to have a heart for that consumer and know how smart they are. And we launched it and the phones literally blew up. I mean literally, the whole system went down. People were so excited about this, and obviously we changed an industry, totally changed in industry. So it was It's been an amazing path.
Emily Tisch Sussman: So you've told the story of your life yourself in your own book and then became a huge blockbuster movie, Academy Award nominated, Golden Globe winning, and now a Broadway musical. How involved were you with those retelling of your life stories in different mediums?
Joy Mangano: So the movie, you know, is interesting because I'll go back to the story where Barry asked me to go out to California and make this show with him. The producer of that show a very amazing, brilliant man. At the end of this series, he said, come on, let's go out to dinner because I'm always working, right No, no, no, no no. Everybody used to go out to dinner and I would go home to bed at the hotel. So we went out to dinner and I don't know how he got me talking about my life, my path. And he got up from dinner and he said, one day, I'm going to write a movie about your life. Five years later, I get a phone call from him. Joy's ken, I'm in here with a bunch of Hollywood producers. We're going to write your movie. And they did. So, you know, I feel blessed that David o'russell was the writer and you know, director and producer and everything. And obviously it goes without saying Jennifer Lawrence was amazing. She's just I love her, love her, love her way beyond her years. And everybody else involved, obviously, Robert Genio, Bradley Cooper. I mean, he just couldn't pick a better family than meet in Hollywood, right. So, but David o'russell, he is like a saffon. He just you know, he he would talk. He'd call me like at dinner time and we'd still be talking at three am. So he really wanted to, you know, to really understand and go even deeper into things I had already therapy in life. I mean, that was it, you know, it was really incredible but you know, at a point, you know, I you have to trust people, right, I trusted him and he's like, whatever he did, I had to entrust in him at that point. So I really at the end of the day, he was the creative of artist for the movie. But I will tell you the story is true. I mean there are little tiny aspects of it, you know, like I had three children in life. There were two in the movie. They thought Jennifer was too young to have three children. So I'm like, wait a minute, I was young. But it was very surreal. They flew me to Hollywood. They put me in a studio and actually I was with my son, and I was like, they didn't think I really knew, but they said there'll be people watching, you know. For the first time I was watching it. They were all the executives. Everybody was like worried about my reaction, and I was watching it and I was like, this is amazing. It was so surreal and to see like his interpretations of things, and you know, obviously different people being me and my father being you know, it was just you know, and everybody was still alive, right, So it's a very touchy thing. So oh my gosh, so I just to to this day consider it to be an honor. I'm not like the Hollywood type, you know. I'm like, you know, in the sense of like I went to the Oscars and I looked at my daughter after it were over, I said, let's go back to the hotel and have cheeseburgers and thick shakes, you know, so, you know, instead of all the parties we were supposed to go to, but it was I think people have told me that it's inspired them, and to me, that's what matters. I you know, I just recently, I hear it all the time. I watched that movie every year, and it just inspires me to keep doing what I'm doing. And if that's the result of that movie, that's a beautiful thing.
Emily Tisch Sussman: After the break, we dive into how Joy became a leader both in her own company and to entrepreneurs around the world, and she talks about her second pivot, selling her company to HSN, the direct competitor to QBC, all that and more. When we come back, something that I'm noticing as we're talking through you as a manager and as a boss, is that it seems like, not only do you have a talent for inventing, coming up with the ideas.
Joy Mangano: But you also have a talent for putting people in.
Speaker 4: The right roles.
Emily Tisch Sussman: Has that been something that you've always had a natural talent at doing or has evolved as a manager.
Joy Mangano: Yeah, well that's something I think that evolves because in the beginning, you know, when I started this, it would be like, Okay, my girlfriend Jan, she used to be a graphic artist, so we need packaging, Jan, do you want to work for me? And so over time, you know that those are the resources I had at the time, right, you know. And then over time as the business grew, you know, and I mean I think I'm now nearing you know, four billion dollars worth of product in homes across America. It's important to get the right people doing the right thing so that, you know, so that you don't have to worry about it. But I still am one of those people that still gets involved in you know, I can't help myself sometimes because I love it right, and I love you know, when they're creating the label, or they're creating the texture on something or picking out the colors. You know, I was famous for walking into the room and say, okay, can I be part of this. That's why I often say anybody that would ever listen, you know, you don't have to build rocket ships. If you have something that's going to benefit somebody's life and change their life and it's a better way and it's not out there, you will have success. You know, a really big advocate. There are no experts. You know. Don't stop yourself if you feel like, well, I'm not an exact expert in this, because if you have no matter what it is, if it's a service, if it's a product, you know, it doesn't matter what. If you really believe in it and you have something to offer that's better than what's out there, I say, go for it.
Emily Tisch Sussman: A defining characteristic of Joy is her family, from the time they were young kids running around the warehouse all the way to now she has involved them. Her daughter Christy was even at this interview. Her life and business are all one and she's mastered that symbiosis better than perhaps anyone I know.
Joy Mangano: So I think we create a great atmosphere now as well. It doesn't get better than when you're able to live your passion and what you do and do it with the people you love. So for twenty years, my oldest daughter has created product with me. She I don't think anybody can get a better price and a better quality product than her, you know. And it's and my son who went to Georgetown and then Columbia Law school, went to a really big law firm. Eventually I grabbed him and we are in business. And my daughter, my youngest daughter was in Project Runway and you know, a fashion personality and is on Amazon Live presently and doing other things in fashion. But I came on TV with me and did a lot of things with us on Live TV. So you know, we're all you know, my son in law was my producer for twenty years at HSN, So you know, now we have our business clean boss and we're all working together. And the people there worked with me in the past, so it's kind of it becomes family. So when you I think, when you love what you do and you have a beautiful business and environment and care about the people that work with you, they stay there, they don't go away. You know, it's a quality of life. That's a beautiful thing.
Emily Tisch Sussman: Well, you were with QBC for so long but ended up selling to HSN, the direct competitor.
Joy Mangano: Can you give us a little backstory. Yeah, no, it sounds sinister, doesn't it, But it was not at all, not at all. So when I was at QBC at the time, Barry Diller was the CEO, and he had asked me to go out to after the success of Miracle Mop and other products, jewel Kit, Rolliquit, many things there, he had asked me to go out and do a show out in California for him, be a judge. And so I think, Barry, I think the world of Barry Diller is brilliant. And so after a certain amount of time, so I did a lot with him and for him. There he left. He owned what expedia, dot com, Ticketmaster, He bought HSN iac the company. He kept asking me to come to HSN And of course you if you haven't figured out how loyal I am in life, I'm like, no, I can't, I can't. He goes, well, then I'm going to buy your business. And when somebody says that you have to think twice about it, I didn't even think twice because it was such an amazing offer. But the offer was amazing. Not you know, money's one thing, but he was giving me the ability, you know, in our conversations to really expand what I did. And really, you know, I became an executive HSN. I ran their only sourcing division. We sourced products. We actually created product for other brands. So whether it was a chef, we sold more guitars than Gibson and Fender. I was creating guitars for Keith Urban. And with Keith Urban and Serena Williams and Emon, we did all her fashion with her. So I expanded. I was able to do so much more. So it was it was a really good move. And it was nice to get off the plane in sunny Tampa in from New York in January. I must admit that. So that was the time that I was able to grow so much so and I had the liberty to create something like change the cookwear industry or you know many other things. Do you consider that to be like a second big pivot of your life? Yes? Absolutely, absolutely, you know that really changed everything. And then obviously my third big pivot was leaving there when QB ironically enough, after QVC purchased HSN. Right, you go figure this, right, it's like you know, a family drama. But I knew it was time, you know, because in that industry, it's very important that it's exclusive on TV, you know, and they can't get it anywhere else. So for me, there was a whole big vista out there in the retail world, direct to the consumer, and I really wanted to focus in, as I said, on the whole health and wellness aspect of creating great product. And so, you know, so now in lieu of everything, you know, my company is Clean Boss, and I am very much focused on the health and wellness aspects of everybody in life, and I want that to be my life legacy because we're creating a safer choice in your home to clean with.
Speaker 4: If you're keeping up. Joy is on her third pivot.
Emily Tisch Sussman: Inspired by her grandchildren, she wanted to make safer cleaning products and the opportunity to create Clean Boss came along when she met none other than Pitbull.
Joy Mangano: So together Armando Christian Perez, Pitbull and I are going to be the face of changing the way the world cleans and its way beyond that, it's you know, laundry detergents that are incredible in the you know, you really don't know about the ingredients of things until you really know about the ingredients of things, right, So that's what I'm passionate about. We both want to leave that legacy so that you don't have to worry. You know, my daughter, I watch her spray the highchair for her two little boys with clean boss. And you know, when that my kids were young, I was using something. I didn't have a choice. I was using you know, whatever with AMMONI in it or whatever. And now you know, I feel like this is such a beautiful thing. And so that's what we're focused on. What was something in your life.
Emily Tisch Sussman: I know there's been a lot, You've done a lot, but what is something in your life that at the time you thought was a negative but then now in retrospect, you see it as having like you couldn't have had this kind of success without it.
Joy Mangano: So I guess so be pre QVC right. My goal. I was demonstrating affairs and flea markets, and my goal was to get in every kmart because I felt like everybody went to kmart to buy a MOP. So my goal was to get into retail across the country, start there and then get it everywhere. And I tried to call, I talked to a buyer, and nobody, you know, no, no, no, you know, nobody talked to me. I sent letters at the time, letters and finally I got through to a VP there and I talked to him about the mop. I said, let me just come out there and show you this product. And again why he said, yes, I don't know, but flew out there demonstrated the product. And you know, there were major stick goood companies that you know they made not only they made a whole display of things for these stores. Right, I have one miracle mop and a mophead. So I had my meeting with him and he said, all right, He said, why don't you let me see you demonstrate the mop in our flagship store in a couple other places, and let's see what happens. I guess he was being kind, I think, you know. So we did. We went to the flagship Kmart store and I literally was demonstrating and wringing that mop out. My hands were raw, but everybody that stood around and watched it basically bought it. And I'll never forget He came and he was standing back and he was watching this happen because he said, you know, we sell five dollar mops, We're not going to sell a twenty dollars unth So after that, I went to various other stores, you know, to demonstrate, and he saw the sales. So afterwards he said, Okay, this is what I'll do. I will give you every kmart east of the Mississippi and leave this major stick goood company with west of the Mississippi in the country, and whoever brings in the best dollars wins. And I was like, wow, I mean east of the Mississippi. I'm in every k marty that. It was like the biggest thing in my life. And well we won. But then I went on QVC and I couldn't even make enough, you know. It was just like amazing, So and QBC investing in the commercial and everything said you have to come out of retail, so that my whole life then became electronic retailing at the time, right, everything I did was for QVC. Then HSN interesting, but it was perfect because it was instead of standing in front of people and having a group of people, I had millions of people watching every creation that I made.
Emily Tisch Sussman: Yeah, I have to ask the question again that I asked you at the beginning. The premise of this show is that we use personal factors in our decision making when we make professional decisions. How do you think you've done that.
Joy Mangano: I think more than not. I think about because my family works with me, right, and because I love my family and the consumer. My personal decisions about how everything I do is going to impact them guides what I do in business. So that's really important to me. And I feel like because I've been able to stand in front of it's you know, America and many other places around the world, but you know, primarily here, you know, I think you know, people will come up to me and when they look at products, they see me right because that you know I'm standing there, I'm talking to them directly about that. So for me, everything I do, I know that I'm not invisible. It reflects me to them, and so everything is personal. It's everything I do is personal. It's not a business. It's all kind of it just all intertwined together.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much for coming on. It's been so great having you.
Joy Mangano: Oh yes, it's a great conversation. And I will say that, you know, she Pivots is a perfect, perfect name because I as a skier, I always say you have to shift your skis right, so you always have you can't feel like you're in a path, and it's unchangeable. It constantly changes constantly, and you have to be open to that. Yeah, thank you so much, thank you. Yes, we're done.
Speaker 4: We did so.
Speaker 5: That was great.
Speaker 4: That was amazing.
Speaker 3: Joy is still a busybee, from Clean Boss to Joy the Musical.
Speaker 4: She doesn't slow down.
Speaker 3: You can keep up with Joy by following her on Instagram at Joymongano, and of course, be sure to grab your tickets to see Joy on stage this summer. This is when you won't want to miss. Visit Joythemusical dot com for tickets. Talk to you next week.
Emily Tisch Sussman: Thanks for listening to this episode of she Pivots. I hope you enjoyed it, and if you did, leave us a rating and tell your friends about us. To learn more about our guests, follow us on Instagram at she pivots the Podcast, or sign up for our newsletter where you can get exclusive behind the scenes content on our website at she pivots the Podcast dot com. Special thanks to the she pivots team, Executive producer Emily eda Velosik, Associate producer and social media connoisseur Hannah Cousins, Research director Christine Dickinson, Events and Logistics coordinator Madeline Sonovac, and audio editor and mixer Nina pollock I endorse Che Pivots