Speaker 1: It's the summer of foldable phones with upcoming reveals from both Samsung and Google. Prime Day is back, How not to Get Scammed and Xbox comes to the Fire TV Stick. Plus your tech questions answered? What's going on on rich Demiro And this is Rich on Tech. This is the show where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. It's also the place where I answer your questions about technology. I believe that tech should be interesting, useful and fun. Let's open up those phone lines at triple eight Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Once again the phone number to call if you have a question or comment about technology one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Email is also an option. Just go to the website rich on Tech dot TV. Hit contact. That will make your message. Your message will make its way right to my screen and I do share those on the show from time to time in real time too, guests. This week, I'm going to head to VidCon twenty twenty four. This is an annual convention that brings together digital content creators, their fans, and industry professionals all in one place. I was there this week in Anaheim. It was so inspiring and interesting. So I'm going to talk to some of the organizers and attendees at VidCon twenty twenty four this hour, next hour. Chris Mattman. He is the new Chief Data and Artificial Intelligence Officer at UCLA. So I thought that was really interesting because this is an entirely new job category. We're going to talk to him about what that means and what it means for you if you're thinking about a role like that. And finally, later on in the show, Bob Carpenter, President and CEO of g D one Us, is going to talk about the fiftieth anniversary of the barcode. Yes, that little thing that my kids like to scan at target, turning fifty years this week. Now, this week was a big week for foldable phones. Well, we don't know that to be the case just yet, but we expect it to be the case. So a couple of announcements. First off, Samsung. Samsung finally unveiled where they will hold their next Unpacked event. It will be held on July tenth in Paris, France. Yes, I am so excited. It is my first time going to Paris, France. I will be there for the unveiling, which will happen at three pm Parisian time and six am Pacific time nine am Eastern time, and of course the event will be live streamed on Samsung dot Com probably on YouTube as well. So what are they expected to unveil. Well, this is going to focus on their Galaxy Z series foldable phones, that is the Galaxy Z Fold six and then the Galaxy Z Flip six. Now, if you think about those two phones, the fold opens up like a book, where the flip opens up like almost a I don't know, keyboard, but the mad libs how would you describe that? I'm not really sure, but you know, one opens vertically, one opens horizontally. Now, last year these were some pretty good phones. They made some pretty good improvements to them. They made them close flat like they folded closed flat, which was really nice. This year, we're hoping for some better upgrades, like maybe to the cameras and also specifically to the outer screen on that fold. It is still way too narrow to be highly usable for the average person, so hopefully Samsung made some improvements there and made that phone just a little bit more usable. They're also going to focus a lot on their Galaxy AI, and this is their blend of different things you can do on the phone, whether or it's photo editing, whether it's translating text messages and summarizing notes, things like that. I think it's really interesting because as much as Samsung likes to differentiate their phones, they're kind of running into an issue with Android at large because so many of the features that they're building into their phones eventually become a standard Android feature, and so they have to kind of make these adjustments later on where Google comes out with these features in Android. So a lot of these Galaxy AI features are sort of already now being baked into the Android phones in general, and so Samsung usually does it a little bit differently, puts their own spin on it, and sometimes it just becomes a standard Android feature. Now, the other thing that they are going to unveil is this highly anticipated Galaxy Ring. So this is their smart ring that is said to rival the Aura ring, and I've worn the Aurora ring. I think it's incredible. I've also been wearing a ring from a company called a maze Fit and it's really good. These rings, I see a lot of potential for them because they're simple, they're easy, they're always on your finger. They're very easy to wear to sleep, which means you can get really nice sleep metrics without a big thing on your wrist. And so the Galaxy Ring, of course, will fit into that whole ecosystem of the watch and the Samsung phones. And now you've got the ring, and so that will be really interesting to see what that's all about. I don't expect a lot of surprises there. It's probably gonna have a lot of AI features, but you know, it's going to do the standard stuff, you know, track your heart rate, track your oxygen, track your sleeping. And I think that'll be a nice growth area for Samsung because you've got a lot of Samsung fans out there and this will work nicely in that ecosystem. Right now, Samsung doing a deal where they will give you fifty dollars pre order credit if you give them your email address. They're also promising up to fifteen hundred dollars in trade in credit, so if you have one of these foldable phone owns, you might get a nice trade in that helps them pump the numbers, you know, for like the sales and pre sales and all that stuff. No obligation, you just give them your phone number or your email address rather. Now, not to be outdone, Google, just hours after Samsung's big announcement, they came out with their own announcement. They said, you know what, hold my beer. We're going to have an announcement on August thirteenth for our new Pixel devices. And let's see if I can find the actual invite that I got from Google. Hey, let's see August thirteenth, Mountain View, California. This email does not confirm your registration. Please click the RSVP button. Hey, Rich, You're invited to an in person made by Google event where we'll showcase the best of Google AI, Android software and the Pixel portfolio of devices. So what does that mean? Kind of a head scratcher, because two things going on here. Number One, these devices that Google are putting out, or is putting out, I should say, they're going right up against the Samsung devices. Now, Google and Samsung work very closely these days. But it's interesting that they're competing in this foldable space. So we're gonna see Pixel devices, including the new Pixel fold I'm guessing that none of this is confirmed. Obviously, they just said Pixel portfolio. So what does that mean? The rumor mill is saying there's gonna be the Pixel nine and two sizes of the Pixel nine Pro. Just what I said, I said, give me a Pixel nine Pro where I don't have to have this big phone I can have all the great features but in a smaller size. So it sounds like they may be doing that this time around. We're also looking at a larger pixel Watch three coming in two different sizes, so the standard size they've got right now forty one millimeters and also a forty five millimeter size, which that'll be nice because the bigger screen does give you a lot more benefit. And then maybe some new Pixel buds. Now, this is the interesting thing. This This event is typically held in October, so usually the cadence is Samsung shows off their devices, then Apple and then Google. But this year it is now Samsung, then Google, and then Apple brings up the rear. Now, we are not expecting any foldable phones from Apple, but you know, Apple kind of lives in a world of their own, so it's not like a lot of people are trying to decide between a foldable phone and the latest iPhone. But if these things have enough great features, maybe Samsung and Google might be able to win some of those potential upgraders from Apple who have already seen what iOS eighteen is going to bring, and maybe they're saying, eh, I'd kind of rather maybe try something a little bit different, little new this time around. Emphasis on AI once again, both Google and Samsung and Apple, they have all emphasized their AI offerings. I have been trying out a lot of this stuff, both from Samsung and Google. It's kind of all over the place right now because because you know, there's a lot of this AI stuff, but it's kind of like not necessarily perfectly baked in. And I'm kind of curious to see what Apple's going to do because there's is much more baked into your device where it's accessing your text messages, it's accessing your email, whereas like Google's and Samsung's, you know, it's just kind of like more for translation, more for summarization, and I do like Gemini for getting some up to date answers, but it's kind of slow and it's not always like, you know, the best out there when it comes to these answers. So we're gonna have to see how this all shakes out. The other thing that's happening that was announced this week is Prime Day from Amazon. So Amazon's tenth annual Prime Day that will happen on July sixteenth and seventeenth. Of course, as usual, they are promising millions of deals across thirty five categories for Prime members. So that's the notable thing here. You do have to be a Prime member. Of course. They're giving a thirty day trial to Prime available for free.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Some of the things they're promising up to forty percent off Sony wireless headphones, thirty percent off Peloton products. Peloton sadly needs the help because you know they're not doing so great these days. Forty percent off Amazon Basics and Amazon Essentials. And right now you can get three months free of Audible and five months free of Prime Music. So again, Prime Day happening on July sixteenth and seventeenth. Coming up. I'll tell you how to avoid getting scammed on Prime Day, all right? The phone number four, the show eight eight eight rich one On one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one, the website rich On tech dot TV. We'll get to your calls next. You are doing something smart. You are listening to rich On Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology at triple eight rich one O one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology at triple eight Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two, four to one zero one. If you have a question about technology, give me a call. We'll get back to the phone lines in just a moment. This week I visited VidCon Anaheim. This is an event that brings together creators, their fans, merchandise, and brands. It's basically a one stop shop to celebrate all things creators and the Internet. First, I spoke with Sarah Tortoreadi about how this event brings all these different elements together. So what is VidCon all about.
Speaker 3: It is about converging all of the things about digital media in one place. We've got the biggest creators, We've got all of the fans of those creators. We have up and coming creators who are here to learn how to be the next big creator.
Speaker 1: And we have the industry.
Speaker 3: Anybody who works in the digital media industry, all of them are here in one place, and it really makes it a magical experience.
Speaker 1: So what have people come to VidCon for all different things?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: The fans come to meet their creators, to see them, to hear from them, to meet and mingle with other like minded fans of those creators. The creator check is for people who are really trying to build their business online learn how to be the next big creator and the industry here is here to network here from the creators to learn about how to really drive their business forward with what's happening right now in the digital media and creator ecosystem.
Speaker 1: How do you define creator people?
Speaker 3: Anybody who makes content and content that people watch. You can be a creator and have five followers, you can be a creator and have a million followers. It's really about making engaging content and you know, things that people want to.
Speaker 5: See and hear about.
Speaker 1: Give me sort of a state of the industry of being a creator and what is that like right now?
Speaker 3: It is the celebrity right, Hollywood is no longer just Hollywood. It's really like the kids care about people who are making content, people who are on YouTube, who are on Instagram, who are on TikTok, And that is what is driving culture right now, gen z, Gen and Alpha.
Speaker 1: That's what they care about. And a VidCon holds events in different cities. Now it started out just in one place. Now you're in different cities.
Speaker 3: Why because we think that there's an appetite for what we do elsewhere. We have become Mexico in August. This is our going into our third year and we also are going to our second year in Baltimore. Content creation digital content creators are big around the world, and so what we do has relevance.
Speaker 1: Is this the biggest one, the biggest event? Yep.
Speaker 3: This is our thirteenth year. So this is our bread and butter, which is why it's so big and amazing. The other two are up and coming, but you know, we have confidence that we can build them moving forward.
Speaker 1: Colin Hickey, also from VidCon, has been with the event for a long time. He talks about how it's expanded and changed.
Speaker 6: So start in twenty ten by Hank and John Green degree brothers who are authors and YouTubers and entrepreneurs and philanthropists. And it was started in a high regency in Los Angeles.
Speaker 5: It was about twelve hundred people.
Speaker 6: You know, Hank and John just noticed that YouTube fandom and community was really becoming a thing, and they wanted to create a convention to kind of celebrate that. And so we went from twelve hundred people in la and to you know, fifty five thousand people last year in Anaheim and we're in We've been to five different countries and continents, and yeah, we're all over the place.
Speaker 1: What has changed in the thirteen years that you've been hosting vidcom?
Speaker 6: I think, obviously, I think the size of the convention is one thing. You know, it was there wasn't these giant booths back in twenty ten. But like the fandom has grown, the platforms have grown. Back then, it was normally just YouTubers and now it's TikTokers and snapchatters and Instagram, you know. So I think just online video as a whole was matured and grown up, and we're just making sure that we're trying to stay consistent with that and highlight every year.
Speaker 1: So for the people that want to become the next big thing, are you selling a dream or do you still think it's really possible.
Speaker 6: I think they're creating stars every day. But we have kids who was to come to Viccano and buy a community track ticket. Three years later, they might be on the side of the building and was one of our future creators and have a million fans. So I think some of these kids, we're probably creating superstars every day online, and.
Speaker 1: You've been doing this for a long time, So what do you like about this? What do you get out of it? Every year?
Speaker 6: I just love seeing the fans interact.
Speaker 1: A lot of these kids show up.
Speaker 6: They have liked interests, they like the same creators, they meet at Viccon in person, and they become friends for life.
Speaker 1: Alie Rodriguez, an attendee from Coasta Mesa, California, explains to me the concept of cosplay. Why'd you come to Viccon?
Speaker 7: I came last year and it was really fun, so I decided to come again.
Speaker 1: What do you like about it?
Speaker 7: I get to meet different creators and it also all get to waste my money on stuff, and I also get to dress up. One of the excuses to cosplay, and I really enjoy doing that.
Speaker 1: Explain that to someone who doesn't understand what cosplay is and why you would dress up.
Speaker 7: Cosplay is like Halloween is like dressing up as a character for Halloween, but you go to different conventions dressed up as this as that character, and sometimes you can make your own like how you do for a Halloween costume, and it's honestly, like really fun.
Speaker 1: Mara Rodriguez is shop running five kids at the event.
Speaker 8: You know what, It's a good outlet for them. It's a safe space for them to come and just kind of see their creators that they like to watch on YouTube or TikTok or whatever. So it's a good way for them to do in real life versus just always over the video. But it's good, you know, It's it's clean, wholesome fun and they just have a glass. It's it's kind of crazy and NonStop like for three days, but I think it's worth it.
Speaker 1: What do you think about the difference between the celebrities, you know, of the previous generation versus today's celebrities, which are streamers and YouTubers.
Speaker 8: It's really different because obviously you look at celebrities like in my time, where they were just on the big screen and you're like, probably not attainable to really get to meet one of them. But here you come to these conventions and they are celebrity in their own right and you get to meet them and they're like super cool and chill and just very down to earth that it's like cool, you know, So they don't feel like celebrity status, but they are just because of the viewers obviously.
Speaker 1: Finally, I spoke with Jordan Matter, a photographer turned YouTuber. He now has twenty three million subscribers on YouTube and makes a living off the platform. So how did you build your channel?
Speaker 9: So I started by doing photography challenges back in the day, and so the video is as popular as the person I was photographing. So if I was doing Charlie Demilio would get a lot of views that kind of thing. And then I eventually transition over to working with my daughter because I was missing her, so I wanted to work with her once in a while, and then that became very very popular and we've been doing.
Speaker 1: It ever since. And so why do you come to vidcom.
Speaker 9: Because this is where everybody is to talk about everything creator led and I'm interested and fascinating, and I also get an opportunity to meet a bunch of people who watch our videos.
Speaker 1: How long you've been doing this and are you still learning?
Speaker 5: Seven years?
Speaker 1: And yes, never stops. And so tell me about the life of a creator. What does it entail people? It looks very easy?
Speaker 9: Is it great question? Because it seems like it's really easy, right, Yeah, it is the greatest job you can have. So there's no complaint when I say that we work seven days a week, and six of the days is to plan a video and then one day is to shoot it. So we do all of it to plan out that one day.
Speaker 1: And what's your tips to aspiring creators? Because kids don't want to be an astronaut or a lawyer anymore. They want to be a YouTuber.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and it's a great career, but you got to do something that is truthful to yourself. So and don't copy people, do something original, and be consistent. Be consistent. That's the number of things. Don't give up. Just keep posting every week, pick a time, pick a day, and do it every week and eventually you'll find an audience.
Speaker 1: It's been a while since I attended Vidcom, but it was really impressive to see all of these young people so infatuated with creators that they can actually meet and talk to and really get inspiration from. I also love how Hollywood is changing, the idea of celebrity is changing, and really the only barrier to entry at this point is a smartphone. Next up, Vidcom will be held in Mexico in August, then Baltimore in September. And just to give you an idea of how big this show has become, the brand is now owned by Paramount More. Rich On Tech coming your way right after this. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology at Triple eight Rich one oh one. That's eight eighty eight seven four to two, four to one zero one. The website for the show rich on Tech dot tv. If you want links to anything I mentioned, you can hit the light bulb at the top of the website. If you want to get in touch with me, just hit contact, and many of you do, so thank you for that. I do see all the emails. I can't get to every single one of them, but I do my best. And if you want to sign up for the newsletter while you're there, be sure to do that. I just sent out my new issue today, which talks about a lot of the things that I talked about on this show as well. Well you knew this was coming. The record labels are suing two AI music generators for copyright infringement. In fact, we played the music that we created from one of these on the show. So the RIAA taking action against Suno and Udio. Basically the RIAA, which is made up of all these major record labels, Sony, UMG, It's Universal Music Group, and Warner Records, they say, you know what, how did you train your AI to generate music on the fly? What did you program your AI with? What did it learn from? We have a hunch that it was our songs from our major artists. In fact, we've heard songs that sound just like Michael Jackson's, that sound just like Chuck Berry's. So this is going to go on and on. Obviously, this is one of the biggest questions in AI at this point. Where are you getting your training material? Now? Say, some AI systems are going kind of like the legal route and they're just you know, they're they're licensing things, and others are taking more of a fair use route where they're saying, you know what, we're just kind of using stuff that we see on the open web, just like anyone else would, like a human would. And this is kind of a gray area, and obviously these legal folks will kind of argue all of this stuff. But there are two sides to this. I mean, if you think about it, Let's say I wrote a book and I read all of the classics, you know, all the Moby Dicks of the world and all of the different things that people can read, and then I came up with my own book. Do you think that book would be influenced by the stuff that I read as a child or as a teen in my influential years. Probably, And that's kind of their argument with this AI. They're saying, look, AI is just like a human it's like a brain. It's just absorbing all the stuff that's around it in the world and then it's spitting out its own kind of stuff. But these companies that own the materials are saying, not so fast. You know, these artists need to be paid because you're you're making stuff that's kind of that's based on their art. You're writing articles that are based on the New York Times and the LA Times and the Wall Street Journal articles. You're creating music that's based on musical artists that we've paid to create. And so this is definitely the biggest issue going on with AI services. Where are they getting their training and we will continue to follow this. But yes, the record labels, they want their money. They say pay up, pay up. Let's go to Jenny and Jerry in Costa Mesa. Jerry, you're on with Rich. Hi.
Speaker 10: Well, I've got a problem with my EPs and super printer the twenty.
Speaker 1: Well, you know I don't take any printer questions on this show. Jerry, you don't, I don't, so, but I'll take yours. We'll just hear you out. There's so many, I joke, because there are so many printer issues, literally every printer. I don't think I've ever met a printer that doesn't have an issue. Like even mine has an error. It's like the equivalent of the twelve o'clock flashing blinking time on the VCR. Everyone's printer has an error. What's yours? Jerry?
Speaker 10: Well, this is you. You have the four colors, and you go buy the big things and pill them up and they last forever, suppose So, okay, I usually just use the black. I don't use the color stuff ever, mostly all blacks. Why I got this one, I don't know, But anyway, I filled the black all up just fine, but the colors were starting to get down. Maybe like two thirds of the way down. So I figured, well out fill those all up, because there's something in the instructions that tell you if they get to a certain point, it won't print anymore. Well, about the time that I read that, it stopped printing. So I went out bought the four color or three other colors, filled those up. Now I've got all four of them filled perfectly. Followed the directions, followed the resetting all the stuff it won't print?
Speaker 1: What is it saying? Why I won't it print? What's it telling you?
Speaker 10: It's just it's just says it won't even turn onto printing.
Speaker 1: Okay, So is there is there a message on it at all? Or is there a message on the window?
Speaker 10: No message, just the little sing on the printer, you know, a little small thing, and it just is blanked.
Speaker 1: Okay. So have you unplugged this printer and plugged it back in?
Speaker 11: Yes?
Speaker 10: Okay?
Speaker 1: And what happens then? Okay, Now when you look at your the print heads, are they all seated properly? Have you popped the cartridges out and have you popped them back in to make sure that they're all seated properly, because sometimes if the door is not closed.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 10: I followed all the directions for all of that, and uh yeah, you know, each time set it back up the way you know, the original setup for the thing and saying nothing, okay. The other thing only about three years old, so.
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, oh yeah, this thing should last for a long time. The other thing, it sounds like it could be a software issue or something. Is just not like when you when you've refilled it. It's just not like regis during again, Uh, is there a way to do a factory reset on this printer? Can you? Is there any what? What was the model number again?
Speaker 10: Let's see it's twenty seven, let me do it.
Speaker 1: Twenty seven sixty, twenty seven twenty yeah, okay, twenty seven, twenty seven, fifty seven fifty okay, so let's see if they're okay. So, uh, the twenty seven to fifty does have a reset button. So I think what you should do is basically reset this to factory defaults. And I think that that that's probably what's gonna help it. Now, this will take it off of your Are you connected via Wi Fi on this printer?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Huh okay, so it's gonna take it off your Wi Fi network and you're gonna have to reset it up on that Wi Fi network. But I think I think the reset should fix it, because it sounds like if you're not getting any message, do you see the printer on your computer when you go to print, like is it on? Oh it's not even okay, all right, then it sounds like it might have gotten disconnected from your WiFi network. I think I think the reset of the entire printer will will snap this thing back into action. I'm not sure what happened in the clean and the refilling process, why why it went dormant on you. But if you're not seeing it when you go to print on your actual computer, like if it's not showing up as an option, then this printer has disappeared off your network, and so you're not gonna be able to do anything with it. So it may not be that it's actually, you know, not working. It may be that your computer is just not recognizing this printer. So you want to make sure find the reset button just you know, Google reset button or Factory Reset twenty seven fifty epsyn and then once you do that, it will go back to the factory settings, which means you're gonna have to set this up from scratch using your computer. So run the little program on your computer in the settings to find this printer on and to set this printer up so it should find it on your network and help set it up. That should take care of it hopefully. If not, you may have to get on the phone with EPSYN and do some troubleshooting with their tech support department. But that's uh. That's why I don't take printer questions because there's just too many variables. There's too many things that can go wrong with a printer in this day and age. With these printers, they should be very simple. But for some reason, like my printer, it gives me an error message that it can't connect to the internet when it's connected to the internet every single day. It's always been, nothing has changed, but it's like, hey, if you don't connect to the internet in the next couple of days, you're going to lose all your print privileges. Because I'm on that fancy program with HP where you pay every month for the privilege of printing from the printer that you bought at the store. I know, it's a it's a great everything's a subscription these days, including my own printer eighty to eight rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Jerry, thanks for the call, and please submit on the website and update so I know that you're able to print one of these days. All right, Coming up, I'll tell you how not to be scammed on Prime Day plus team viewer had to hack. I'll explain what that means for you. This is rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich On Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology at Triple A rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two, four one zero one. Coming up this hour, we're going to talk to Chris Mattman. He is the new Chief Data and Artificial Intelligence Officer at UCLA. I thought that was an interesting job title, one that probably didn't exist a year ago, and so we'll we'll hear what that's all about. Prime Day coming up here on July sixteenth and seventeenth. Do not get scammed. Amazon says suspicious email messages increased from five thousand per week to fourteen thousand per week during the last Prime Day, and so here's what they say to do. Number One, verify your purchases on Amazon if you get one of these text messages that says, hey, we're having trouble with your delivery. Do not click the link in that message. They will hack you, They will steal your information, They will try to do all they can to get info out of you. Everyone's ordered something on Amazon. Everyone has a pending package. Instead, go to your Amazon account or use the Amazon Mobile app to confirm that it's really a purchase, or if there's any issue, use Amazon's app and website. They do not ask for payment over the phone or over email. They will never ask for that, so it's always through the website. Be wary of any false urgency. This is a tactic scammers always use. They try to create a sense of urgency. Hey, we've got this thing to deliver to you, but we can't deliver it. We can't finish it because we need this final payment. Don't do it. Don't be pressured into buying a gift card. I know it sounds silly, but you know what, I don't even buy gift cards for people anymore because there are so many scams. My wife just try to use a gift card from the Holidays the other day. Didn't work, just didn't work, and it was like a two hundred dollars gift card. These things they're getting hacked so often. People just literally go to stores. They grabbed the gift cards, they grabbed the numbers off the back you activate it. They drained the funds. I went to Target to this was to buy a gift card a couple of months ago, and they wouldn't even they didn't even have them anywhere anymore. They're only behind the like the service desk, because they there's too many issues with it. So the last time I had to give one to someone, I said, you know what, Actually, Bobo, you were the last one I gave a gift card too. Did your just work? Use it quick? That's my other advice. Yeah, talk to Brittany when I get home. That's That was the last gift card I gave to Bobo for his birthday, and I had to go behind the counter. And you know, cash seems so like, you know, impersonal, like a gift card of somewhere where you might use anyway. So the last gift card I gave to my my niece and nephew, I just didn't. I just gave him cash because the gift cards I just didn't want to deal with the scams. And finally, you can contact Amazon if there's an issue. But here's the thing. Do not call a number that you google for Amazon. Go to Amazon's website. At the bottom, it says get in touch, chat with us. That's the way you should do it, and then check what others are saying. If you ever have any sort of scam issue where you're wondering if this is a scam, go to the Better Business Bureau scam tracker website. This is a great website because people are always reporting scams. So BBB dot org slash scam tracker and you can type in any keyword. So let's say someone gave you a job offer through LinkedIn to sell I don't know chihuahuas, Why would you do that? I don't know whatever? Or you're trying to adopt a I don't know. There's so many scams out there. Just search for one of the keywords on your BBB scam tracker and you will find other people talking about it. Don't sell pets, adopt them. Please don't get don't send me the angry. Let's go to uh Andrew in Huntington Beach. Andrew, you're on with Rich Hey rach.
Speaker 5: How's it going?
Speaker 1: It is going fantastic. What can I help you with?
Speaker 8: Kind I'm on the road right now.
Speaker 1: My iPhone is when I make a telephone call, I need to use the speakerphone because the piece by my ear is so quiet.
Speaker 4: I mean, I can't use it.
Speaker 1: Are you on speakerphone right now?
Speaker 4: Right now?
Speaker 8: I'm on my car phone?
Speaker 1: Okay, So what so the the ear piece doesn't work, it's too it's too soft, and you want to just switch to speakerphone. Well, I need to use the speakerphone.
Speaker 10: I've my wife to have a fixed Also, I can't.
Speaker 1: Play in the stereo music anymore. It just doesn't do it. Well. Okay, it sounds like it sounds like the ear piece on your phone is clogged, and that can happen. It can get blocked up. So I would try, and you have to be very careful and gentle. But there's kind of like a little area up to the top of your phone that, you know, depending on the phone model you have, you can kind of clean that area out a little bit, maybe you know, use a little canned air up there. But if you want to use speakerphone all the time, if that's the solution, if you can't get this little earpiece area cleaned out, and that's what the older phones they have, like kind of that speaker grill up there. So what I would do is turn on automatic call routing to speakerphone. And this is an accessibility feature that's on the iPhone, so you can just have it automatically answer in speakerphone every time you use it. So you can turn that on by going into Settings Accessibility and it's kind of weird. I don't know why they call it touch. You tap touch, which doesn't make sense because it's an audio feature, but whatever. And then there's an option called call audio routing and you want to select speakerphone. Usually it's set by default to automatic. Again, this is an accessibility feature, so every time your phone picks up, it will just automatically into that speaker phone. If you want to manually do it when you're in a call, you just go ahead and tap the sound and it will. It will give you all your options, whether it's Bluetooth, whether it is the headset piece or or the ear piece or the or the speakerphone there. So that is the way to do it, but you know, depending on your phone, I would I would clear out that little little earpiece area. Sounds like it got a little jammed up. So that that happens from time to time, especially when your phone is getting softer and softer. You're like, what's happening here, Like is my hearing going or is my phone just clogged up? And the fact that you're telling me that you can't hear audio either, like it's not in stereo anymore, tells me that it's just firing out of the speaker on the bottom of the phone and not the speaker on the top of the phone. So, Andrew, thanks for the call in Huntington Beach. Today, let's go to Ron in West Hollywood. Ron, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 11: They're Rich. You're a good replacement for Leo. I used to listen to him all design for years and years and years. Anyway, I have a Galaxy Galaxy ten. Uh, it's locked. I can't I've tried everything that I don't know how it got. My pin doesn't work, and anyway I'm trying to I don't want to lose all the data. Oh there's all the everything on it. And so yeah, everybody could unlock it T Mobile or Samsung or whatever, but I get to lose all my data. Yeah, and that's not acceptable. So I went out. I bought a went out and bought a Pixel eight. I know you love them. Yeah, I've had nothing but trouble with it. It just doesn't work like the Samsung. You know.
Speaker 1: Well, it's it's different, it's it's sam Yeah. I mean there's pros and cons of both. But okay, so you got the Pixel eight. You want to transfer your infoover or what.
Speaker 11: Well, I would I would happily do that. I can't do anything with the phone though, because it's locked. Okay, I mean with the Galaxy, the Galaxy ten, which I wanted. You know, I would transfer it anywhere. I'd transfer it to A twenty four or whatever. But you know, you're really sort of sol when you yeah, when you can't you can't unlock it. And I've tried everything that I can think of. And I've also talked to T Mobile and they said, no, we can't do anything with it. Will you lose all your data? And I've talked to Samsung over in Glendale and they said, no, we can't help you. And so it's like, great, that's fantastic. I've found one one email one website on the internet. Then they said, well give so they want twenty six bucks. I don't care about that. It's just I'd like to go with someone that's legitimate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I mean, look, we've had this, We've had this question before, and it happens often. And like you said, yes, if you forget the pin on your phone, you can easily load up the bootloader, which is what they were talking about and going to recover, and you can format this phone and load the software and start fresh. But with that pin number, there's really no way to access what's on that device. And this is for iPhone or Android. It's just it's a safety feature. It's a security feature, and it's just the way that these phones are built now. There used to be there used to be a Google kind of system recovery that when this phone was tied to your Google account, it would let you do it. But I have not seen that in many, many years, and I don't think that this phone would have that feature. So you may try to enter the code in a couple times wrong until it says, hey, do you want to recover your account? If that doesn't show up, this phone does not have that feature, so it sounds like because this phone is locked, you're not going to be able to recover it. And we actually had I remember now, I remember the caller. This same thing happened, except the caller had thousands of dollars of bitcoin stored on this phone. And now I'm remembering. We were going through all the motions and it was like hopeless, and I said, look, you have to make it your job to figure out what your pin code is. Now, Ron, I'm guessing this pin is just four digits. You got to think hard and long and figure out what was this code. And so maybe if you really want this data off of the phone, you can just kind of put in one code every day until this thing locks you out. And the problem is with the lockouts, they get longer and longer over time. So the first time it may lock you out for a little bit, next time it's going to be longer. One more thing you can do. You can check for a backup of this phone on your Google website. So go to one dot Google dot com and you will see it says storage and then backup and it will say how many devices on your account You can look through and it will say your device backup. So right now, I could see I've got four different devices. These are different devices I've been testing, and I can see my Galaxy S twenty four Ultra. The last time it was backed up was fourteen hours ago. I've got a pixel on there. The last time it was backed up was yesterday, and I've got an older phone that says back up incomplete. So you may have a backup of some of the basics of this device on your Google account. Check it out. Go to one dot Google dot com. Uh, I'm sorry, but uh yeah, that's that's just what's happening here. Yeah, uh eighty eight rich one on one? What was that bubble? Is it O N E or the number one? Oh? Sorry, it's O N E O N E dot Google dot com. On e dot Google dot com. Uh eighty eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Please remember the pin number that you set up on your phone. Nowadays they ask you for six digits. Don't make it something that's easy to guess, but please make it something that you can remember. You are listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hang out with you talking to technology. The phone number for the show eight eight eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Well it's happened again. I've been texting people with green bubbles, and what do they say? Rich What? What? What's changed?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 1: Why? The green? I am so sick and tired of this divide in America. You think there's a divide in America, The green and blue bubble is the real divide in America. I'm telling you, these are just regular people that when I text them, I'm actually scared to text them because I don't know what they're gonna say to me. I mean, it's so wild that this is what's happening. So, yes, I put my sim into an Android phone. And I don't know if you know what I do for a living, but I test stuff out. So I'm always trying something new, and I'm always trying a new phone and a new feature. And yes, once in a while that involves a non iPhone. A lot of times it does, and so so it just cracks me up. It continues to crack me up when people will say something and I'm like, I don't know what to say, Like I'm a tech person, like you know, and they're like, oh, well, it's just it's wild. Anyway.
Speaker 11: I know people that won't date somebody if they don't have an iPhone, I mean an iPhone.
Speaker 1: I mean that is so ridiculous, so ridiculous. So Samsung's and iPhones can't mesh. Apparently I don't. I don't get it. Okay, but here's the good news. Okay, Coming in September, iPhone will finally support something that's called RCS Rich Communications Services. What does that mean. It means when you are texting from an iPhone to an Android and vice versa, it will show you the delivered, it will show you the typing indicators. You will be able to send photos and videos at full resolution. Hall he loujah was my next question. That's what we need, yes, because I hate getting videos that looked like it will send over a Nintendo sixty four. It's ridiculous. And no, and the person on the iPhone, I mean, now people have an awareness, but you don't really realize that that's happening. But here's the thing there the iPhone and I'm not gonna blame Apple, but yeah, I'm gonna blame Apple. I message is a it's literally the glue that holds together that three trillion dollar company or whatever their what's the what's the market cap? Hold on, let's see what's Apple market cap. I do like the fact that you can FaceTime anybody, but the iPhone has to send the Samsung personal link. Yeah, and you can FaceTime like that, where's our wom Yeah, three trillion dollar company. I message is the glue that holds together a three trillion dollar company. And Apple knows this. Why do you think they've been so protective of I Message? Why do you think there's not an I message app for Android? Why? Because it would make it too easy to use an Android phone and still enjoy those conversations and be on those group chats with the Apple people. The Apple people love their little club. It's a little club. They've got their air pods in nowadays it's just one air pod in you have you noticed that trend? Oh yeah, yeah, one AirPod in the year and they say the battery on the other one, so one does they swap it off? Yes, my son does that. That is literally I actually asked people on my Facebook page like why you know, have they noticed this trend? And I got so many comments, and one of them was yes, you you have the two batteries, so you have the one battery, use that and then when that goes dead, you can swap the other one. And you know, some people said it's for safety reasons, so you could be aware of your surroundings with the one year pod. You know, I'm not knocking it, but anyway, my point is there's a little club and that club is finally going like like, you know, there are other people that are outside that door, behind that velvet rope, right, they got the androids, and it's like, oh, let me in, let me in, let me please please. I know him, Yeah, I see him. I see my friend there. Let me in. See the one with the new iPhone. He's got the iPhone sixteen. Wait what so come September, when when iOS eighteen comes out, all these issues between the blue and the green bubbles, they will be solved. Now, I'm not saying Apple's gonna make it, you know, perfect, because they're gonna They're still gonna keep a little bit back, right, They're still gonna keep green, They're still going to keep the blue. But if you do have these things, yeah, it will be a little bit better. Okay, enough of my rant team Viewer. This is a program that I recommend a lot if you want to help someone with their computer remotely. They were hacked on June twenty six. But here's the thing. This was only their corporate IT environment. This does not affect the consumer data or the consumer product. Something that's very important to know. So if you see a headline about Team Viewer being hacked and you say, oh, wait a second, I've that on my computer, is my computer part of this hack, which apparently was from a Russian state sponsored hacking group. This does not include customer data. Team Viewer says they keep a separate architecture, which means their corporate IT is separate from their product IT and their product environment. Team Viewer has been installed on two point five billion devices. And yes, if you need to help someone with their computer, this is a remote login software where you can kind of see their screen and help them do things. It's very handy, but when you give that power to someone, you know you have to understand what you're doing. All right, Coming up, we're going to talk to Chris Mattman. He has the Chief Data and AI Officer at UCLA. You are listening to Rich on Tech. Welcome back, to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology. The phone line eight eight eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four two four one zero one the website rich on Tech dot TV got an email from Mark. I was mentioning one dot Google dot com. Mark says, hey, Fyi, the number or the spelling of the number will bring you to the right website. So that's always good when Google figures out stuff like that. All right, Joining me now, Chris Mattman. He is the new Chief Data and an Artificial Intelligence Officer at UCLA. Chris, thanks so much for joining me. Congrats on the new role.
Speaker 5: Welcome to the show, Rich, thanks for having me. Really excited to be here.
Speaker 1: So tell me number one. I imagine that the AI officer role is kind of new at a lot of companies. So I mean, what made you interested in AI? I know you have a background in data, but what specifically about AI do you like?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Rich, it is new and really around the world, the artificial intelligence officer, and you know, basically in the United States that role is really being defined and guided by an executive order from the Biden administration that really focused internally on governments companies and academia to create this sort of senior level position to really help kind of guide the ethical use of these technologies which you know today are changing, already changing our lives, you know, everything from uh, you know, intelligent assistance by talking to them, I don't want to set off anyone's Amazon devices or things like that.
Speaker 1: Oh I've done it before, I believe me.
Speaker 4: Or you know, cars and computer visions, smart vehicles, testless things like that.
Speaker 5: I mean, AI is already here, it's changing our lives.
Speaker 4: And so the recognition of this position what interested me about it is it's a senior C suite position really focused on providing that kind of strategy advisement and helping kind of us get into the future, you know, of how we use and apply these technologies.
Speaker 1: So what do you see as some of the most pressing issues right now that not only universities but large organizations companies have to deal with when it comes to AI. We sort of talked about one earlier with these uh, you know, these record labels suing these AI music makers, and we've seen that over and over with the you know, the image generators and the text generators. I mean, everyone's being sued, right now because they're like, where's this uh, where's this training data coming from?
Speaker 4: Yeah, hundred percent, and that's the periphery that they can really kind of do legal stuff around right now. Because the challenge rich, you know, and to the audience is that even the big tech companies don't have sort of fundamental understanding of what some of these sort of trillion neuron neural networks, these biologically inspired models that are similar to our brains and things like that, even they don't know exactly what you know, layer a hundred of the neural network and neuron you know five million is actually learning. And so because of that, there's a big focus on how these neural networks, these AI models are trained. That's based on source data. Source data has bias in it. Famous story, you know, in the early development of smart cars, unfortunate unfortunate story is that early smart vehicles didn't stop when they saw disabled people and or people of color. The big challenge with that is that most of the data for training these things was you know, Silicon Valley, you know, Caucasian folks, and they just simply didn't have the presence of that data in the training. And so, you know, the AI models are only as smart as the data you train them on. So that's a big focus. Bias in the training data. A big focus is on the predictions, you know, which is what these models are actually telling us, and having the confidence in those predictions, not just well it's going to rain tomorrow it doesn't rain, but I never told you I was only fifteen percent confident in that and things like that.
Speaker 1: Interesting, So what do you you know, since you're in this world, you know, people always talk to me. It's one of the biggest things, you know, for the casual kind of AI conversation is like do you trust AI? Do you think it's going to take over the world? Do you think it's going to harm us? What are your thoughts on all of that? Like this these ethical kind of like considerations of AI.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I mean, for me, the advice that I would have for people, and you know, really the reason that I, you know, moved out of my role in government after twenty four years. You know, I spent a long career at NASA working on these longes and data and eventually in AI too, But the big thing that you know, reason that I got out of government was really just to spend the rest of you know, my remaining years focused on this because I really believe it's going to fundamentally change our lives, and in particular, you know, it's going to in the next twenty four to thirty six months up and existing jobs in particular areas.
Speaker 12: You know.
Speaker 4: One quick thing you might you know have heard about is there's actually a Senate bill in the California Senate on the floor, you know, that is focused on customer call center Senate Bill number twelve twenty that's being debated right now and presented, and that's all about the use of AI and call centers. And you know, that's a really interesting area because you know, in twenty eighteen, Google demonstrated a technology that could effectively call up a nail shop make your appointment for you, you know, basically decide, oh it's not the right nail shop, we need to go to another one. You know, things like that, update your calendar, all through voice technology, all through AI and things like that. So customer call center jobs within the next twenty four to thirty six months definitely will be disrupted. You might have heard in the Midwest of trucking jobs, you know, a million truckers by some estimates could potentially be displaced if Tesla is successful in building these sort of autonomous trucks, you know, like the Tesla vehicles. And so, you know, the message that I have for people is the answer isn't really telling these these people, hey, well learn to code, you know.
Speaker 5: I hate that.
Speaker 4: I think that that's wrong. I think we need programs for a job of skilling, for extracting the subject matter expert knowledge from these folks whose jobs may be you know, not directly displaced, but you know, altered in the next few years.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was Google Duplex the I remember that when they demoed it on stage and at Google Io and it was wild. I mean, that video went viral because it was just so wild to hear a Google voice call a restaurant or whatever it was is hair salon to like make an appointment for you and uh yeah. So and that was before you know, AI was kind of a big daily talker, you know. That was that was in early days of this stuff. Okay, so the jobs now here. I tweeted this the other day. I said, basically, if a company could replace you with AI, they would, do you believe that to be true?
Speaker 4: I mean, my perspective on it is whether they would or not isn't exactly the issue in the sense of that they can't directly for all jobs right now. So that's you know the one now, yeah, right now. And so that's that's the one kind of thing I want to tell people. You know, It's like tomorrow, you know, people are like, well, you know, we have the capability of the terminator now, you know, are we suddenly going to start fighting wars, you know, with the you know, the AI based you know, nuclear weapons and all these things.
Speaker 5: And the reality is.
Speaker 4: Like humans control the business processes that still exist, and the ways that we use AI today are are basically dictated by them. Now, yeah, Like it's interesting that you said today. You know, in the future, I certainly could see companies like looking at headcount and saying, well instead of needing you know. I mean that was the heart of the WGA, the writer strike. You know, I helped to do some legal advisement on the Amendment twenty five for that, but it was all about the side. I mean, one of the key things was the size of writing teams. Right, So, I mean, do I think a studio would you know, like to not have seven people maybe they would like to have three and some intelligent assistance.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean, obviously these.
Speaker 4: Companies are bottom line driven for profit companies, and you know, they're always focused on rationalization and headcount and things like that. That said, you know, can AI do everything that we do? You know, the big difference is that a lot of the AIS that people think are AI today, like chat, GPT and things like that, they're missing elements that we call actuation.
Speaker 5: In other words, like they can think.
Speaker 4: I mean they can you know, it seems like they're thinking, they can respond, they can take prompts and whatever, but they're not like plugged into you know, a Terminator robot or a Boston Dynamics robot dog and things like that.
Speaker 5: Now people are looking at that.
Speaker 4: I always caution I always caution people that's not as far away as you think. But yeah, you know, all of this is and and so to your point, you know, to your original question rich that you asked me, you know, why did I basically you know, take this job on.
Speaker 5: Why did I leave these to me?
Speaker 4: These are the fundamental decisions, These are the fundamental things for the next fifteen to twenty years that aren't just going to guide a portion of our lives and guide all of our lives.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I totally believe that, and it reminds me. You know, I've been covering tech for a long time and specifically gadgets, and you know, we've had gadgets for a long time that are kind of like programmed to do something right. They you know, like, let's say you have a little toy truck that's you know, an RF truck or you know, radio frequency whatever. It like moves around, it does this, but like once you layer AI onto that and it can actually think and do stuff a little bit more autonomously, that's where it gets interesting. And yeah, it's just a matter of time before we build these things into robots and cars and all this stuff. And it really is fascinating just how much this is going to change in the next year or too. Any closing thoughts we got to run, But any closing thoughts, any any tools people should check out, or any resources you find interesting that might be helpful.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean thanks. And as a parent, you know, I'll say I got three kids.
Speaker 4: Certainly as parents, you know, there's a lot of thought right now about, oh, whether you should let your child use these things in school. My advice use them, use them because otherwise you're sort of sticking your hand head in the sand and you're going to be sort of left behind. Now should your kid write their papers using all of these things? You know, the things I tell my children are, hey, use this for creative idea, thinking, ideation, or whatever. But at the end of the day, make sure sort of the thoughts and the control are your own. And for what it's worth, that extends to life. Rich you know, is the reason that we don't have the terminators yet is because we're still in control now, you know, fast forward five or ten years. I hope that's still the case, but you know that's the case today, and that's the case for parents.
Speaker 5: So let your kids use it and try it.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. I know my kids are. Chris Mattman, thanks so much for joining me today the website. Matt Man A T. T. M A N. N. Dot Ai. Good luck with the new job.
Speaker 5: Thanks so much for having me on, Rick, You really appreciate you.
Speaker 1: All right eighty eight rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Coming up, I'll tell you how Xbox is coming to the Amazon fireTV stick and who has the best five g in America. The answer coming up. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, Talking Technology. The website for the show Richontech dot tv. There you can sign up for our newsletter. You can see my TV segments. You can read my newsletter and follow me on social media. I am at rich on Tech.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 1: Xbox is coming to Amazon Fire TV. How cool is this? You'll be able to play Xbox games on fireTV sticks without a console. This will open up gaming to a lot more people. Now, you do need a couple of things. You need a Fire TV stick four K Max or just the standard Fire TV stick four K. Both of those are anywhere between fifty and sixty bucks and Prime days coming up, which means those will be discounted. So again, my advice right now, don't buy anything on Amazon that you need, like something you have like your eye on, Like yeah, if you need like soap or something, sure, But if you have like your eye on something like a new pair of sneakers, like a fire TV stick, like, don't buy it right now. Ring doorbell. All this stuff gets discounted, especially Amazon branded stuff kindles. Add it to your shopping cart. And then on Prime Day July sixteenth and seventeenth, look at your shopping car and it will have like a little each item that's on sale will have a kind of like a badge that will say price drop or Prime Day Savings or something like that. So that's the way I do it. So if you want to get this Xbox Cloud Gaming again, you need the Fire TV stick. You need a Bluetooth enabled wireless controller. You can use an x Xbox controller, you coul use a PlayStation controller. You also need an Xbox Game Pass Ultimate membership that's seventeen bucks a month that will give you access to hundreds of games, including some of the newer titles like Starfield for as a Horizon five. You can play Fortnite completely free. So if you just want to play Fortnite, you don't need a membership, so you just need the stick and the Bluetooth controller. Pretty cool. So this is coming from the cloud, So this means that they're actually going to stream the games to your device, which is kind of like the holy Grail of game playing, you know, because you don't need a console, which means it opens it up to a lot more people. But the latency is an issue, and of course the quality of the stream is always an issue. So it's gotten better over the years, and clearly it's gotten to a point where Xbox and Microsoft and Amazon feel like they can offer this, but this is it's also on the flip side. You don't need a console, so they don't need to you know, people don't spend money on that hardware. Let's go to Lisa in Hollywood. Lisa, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 2: Hi. This is Lisa. I'm an empty nester mom with a twenty two year old son who still has a subscription, an Xbox subscription on our family Microsoft account. How do I support him or transfer him his information onto his own account so that he doesn't lose his data?
Speaker 1: Friends and history should be pretty straightforward. So he's part of the family group. Yeah, okay, so did you add did are you in charge of the family group?
Speaker 2: I am okay.
Speaker 1: So you should be able to go into family dot Microsoft dot com and sign in and find him on there, and there should be a way to remove him from that group, so you know, he can he can do it himself by going to family dot Microsoft dot com and signing in and then saying leave family groups. You can he can do that, or the organizer can remove the family member.
Speaker 2: So I was told that that the then he would lose all of that data and history.
Speaker 1: Well, he's going to lose access to the subscription if it's under your account, for sure, But.
Speaker 2: How do we do it so that he doesn't lose context, He doesn't lose all his friends and context from the past decade.
Speaker 1: I don't think he's going to lose that because it's under his account. So unless he's I mean, if he's signed in, if he has his own Microsoft account where he has friended people on that account. Okay, whether he's in your Family Plan or not, it doesn't affect that aspect of it.
Speaker 2: Now, see Okay, so he can just so I don't need to close down my account and then some how transfer all of that on his subscription to his account. He can just move it himself.
Speaker 1: Well, the subscription, the subscription is going to be separate. So if the subscriptions under your name, he's not going to have that subscription when he leaves the Family Plan or the Family Great. So he would have to sign up for that subscription on his own. But his contacts, you know, his Xbox gamer pals all that stuff should remain connected to his user name and user ID because that's his own. So whether it's in the Family Plan or not, as long as he has his user account, everything should be linked to him. Now, like I said, if he's playing games or under the family plan, you know, if you're paying eighteen dollars a month for the Xbox membership or whatever it is under your family plan, he will have to do that on his own, but his account should be his account. I mean, the way these things are set up is that you know, Microsoft wants you to set one up as soon as you can for your kid on your lamp and okay, sounds like you're close to where you need to go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, no, this is really great. I really I could use your help.
Speaker 11: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, I mean, look, the thing is obviously I would verify this on the Microsoft website. But to me, an account is an account, So whether they're coming or going into the Family Plan, that person still has their account. So unless all of his friends are under your username, they would be under his name. So again family dot Microsoft dot com. That's typically where to go to remove someone, whether you're doing it yourself or if you're the family member so that's the same website, whether you're removing them or whether they are removing themselves. So I would say what I would do is sit down at your computer. If your kid is you know, in the city or you know, living nearby, have them come over, sit at the computer together. Make sure you go through all those screens very carefully, because it will tell you what the ramifications are of leaving that family account as you leave it. But I would you know, I would gather that all of his information will still be intact because it's still his account. It's just now being sent off. It's like, uh, you know, when you send your kids off to do their own thing, It's like you gotta they gotta get their own wings and fly at some point. And that's what that's what he's going to be doing. Thanks for the question, Lisa, appreciate it. Eighty eight rich one On one eighty eight seven four to two four one zero one. Coming up, I'll tell you who has the best five G in the US. You are listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here talking technology with you. Eighty eight rich one On one eighty eight seven four to two four one zero one the website for the show rich on tech dot TV. So who has the best five G data performance in the United States? Who do you think it is? I mean, there's really only three networks at this point, but T Mobile maintaining its lead in five G performance median download speed two hundred and eighty seven megabits per second in March twenty twenty four. This is from Ukla Ookla. They are the folks that whenever you do one of those speed tests like speed tests dot net that's the company behind it. So every time you do a speed test, they are logging that information where you're doing it, from what you're testing on, and they're putting it all into this major database. They can come out with facts like this number two Verizon median five G download speed. Now we're talking download. This is Cellular two D and twenty four, so not too far behind from T Mobile AT and T download speed of one five. Now, this is kind of tricky because there are some variations to this, like depends what I guess this is just averages or medians, so that's kind of different. So let's see other things that they said in this report. All carriers have seen significant performance improvements. Remember when five G came out, everyone said it was a dud. They're like, what's the big deal, It's the same as four G. Well it has gotten better for sure. As these networks continue to build out, consumer sentiment for five G has improved. The US has climbed from twentieth to eleventh place globally in UCLA's speed Test Global Index. Rural areas are starting to see performance gains, so that means they're getting as good as the city locations. Five G availability has increased seventy six percent having five G service somewhere. Let's see. Oh, download speeds have improved dramatically, but upload speeds in latency have not improved as much. And there's still a ways to go here because a lot of these companies are still building out these five G networks, Like we're just getting started here. So T Mobile just acquired US Cellular. That's going to improve their network, and you know we're gonna see improvements in things like video streaming and mobile gaming all because of five G. Let's see. Oh. Speaking of which, Verizon this week unveiled a new logo, a red V with a yellow glow, So basically they just took the name and put a little yellow glow on it symbolizing Veritas meaning truth and Horizon future possibility. Did you know that's what Verizon means, the truth of a new horizon. Yeah. Now you know if you're ever on Jeopardy and you need that, that's what it means. So what does this whole Verizon refresh mean. I don't know. I mean, it's basically there. If you have home internet with them, I guess they're a big thing they're pushing right now. Or these bundled services, so they have like small discounts on streaming services like Netflix and Hulu and all these things you subscribe through your Verizon account. You bundle it, and it's a little bit cheaper, yeah, YouTube and all that. I personally, my advice is to not bundle, even though it saves you money, because in the long run, it's more of a headache because now everything is bundled together, so it's not as easy to drop services and to you know, take advantage of some of the deals that are out there, you know, with a paying for the year in advance and stuff like that. But I guess whatever works for you, personally, I would rather not have these things bundled because it makes things very confusing. You know, you've got your Verizon bill and now you've got like ten add ons and you're like, wait a second, what am I paying for Verizon? What am I paying for streaming? It's much tougher to keep track of it. And by the way, the app I like for keeping track of all this stuff is Rocket Money. I don't know if you've tried it, but I find it to be really, really helpful. So it used to be called True Bill and now it's called Rocket Money, and it's a it's a nice way of keeping track of all of your subscriptions. It's free for iOS and Android. Let's go to Mike in Austin, Texas. Mike, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 12: Hey, Rich, thanks for taking my call. Months ago, we were having a work with a Spectrum and almost daily, at least weekly, we were having to reset our router. So around the same time, we also had a printer that died. So Spectrum came out put in one of these new routers that can decide whether your equipment needs either two point four or five, and we got a EPSOM Eco printer. We could not get the eco printer at all to hook to the router, So it's just sitting here and I thought, okay, I got to get something going, so I went and bought a cannon, just a little cheapy sixty dollars cannon one. And we're having trouble getting back to hook to the router, so Spectrum I've called them and they said, well, it's not us. It all started when you changed it. So should we keep Spectrums router or are there better ones out there and we should just buy one and quit paying the monthly fee. That obviously something else works in the house on it, except that we can't get a printer to hook up to it.
Speaker 1: Well, the printer is probably using that two point four gigahertz network and this Spectrum device even though it's putting out both networks. The printer may not be smart enough to find that two point four gigaherts. I'm guessing that this router, except for the thing that throws me is the cheapy printer that you bought. Why that's not connecting because you think it would, but because it's new, But it's also inexpensive, so it may not have the smarts to do this. So you know, this is a very very common problem with routers. With IoT gadgets, you know, people trying to connect to them. The newer gadget's like your smartphone gonna have no problem. But it's a lot of these different peripherals, especially the smart home stuff. It's just all over the place. Sometimes it connects, sometimes it won't. So I pulled up the Spectrum support page, and clearly this is a known issue because it's like literally on the how to connect to your wireless network, It's like one of the bottom main things on the page says troubleshooting if you can't connect the connect to the two point four gigahertz frequency on your network. It says, sign into your Spectrum account. On your services page, select Internet, navigate and select smart, set up smart device two point four gigahertz, and then select switch to two point four gigaherts. So that is what you probably need to do. It's interesting that you sign into your Spectrum account. It must communicate with the router to switch it. So what it's going to do is it's going to tell that router, hey, we're trying to set up a device here. Can you just broadcast that two point four gigahertz network so you don't confuse the device that's trying to get set up with that five gigahertz network. So again, this is just from the Spectrum support website. Clearly a lot of people have this issue, so I would not give up on this. I think you'll be able to connect it again. Sign into your Spectrum account on your services page, select Internet, navigate to the set up smart device and select switch to two point four gigahertz, and then you can go into your device on your printer and set that up again through the you know, the way you typically set it up. If you can't get it to set up, I might reset the printer again. We had a similar question earlier, but I would do a factory reset on the printer. So I don't think that this router that they gave you is not going to work. I think that clearly Spectrum is a big company, they have a lot of customers. This is just a situation where you know, there's a lot of different things happening. Wi Fi continues to evolve and that's one of the side effects of this. So Mike and Austin, thanks for the call. Appreciate it today. One of the apps that I recommend or have recommended in the past is being discontinued. It's called Google Stack And I was using this for a long time because it was a nice dedicated PDF scanner. But Google, in the typical Google fashion, has lost hope for this app and they are getting rid of it. Google there is a website. Let's see if I can find it. It's I think it's let's see Google dead projects. Yeah, killed by Google dot com. It's everything that Google has killed. They this company. Now I have to give them credit because if we didn't, if they didn't kill stuff, that means they weren't trying. But Google is a company that really tries a lot. They throw a lot at the wall and they see what sticks, and that's great. But a lot of stuff that people use sort of gets discontinued. And so I'm just looking at some of these things that they've discontinued in the past, like year or so, Google jam Board, jam Board VPN by Google, one, Dropcam, Google podcasts, Keen. I don't even know what that one was. Google Domains, Google Optimize, Pixel Pass, Google album Archive, YouTube Stories, Grasshopper, Conversational Actions, Google street Views standalone. There's so many any Google Stadia, YouTube originals, YouTube, go, Google surveys. I mean, there's so many. Now let's add Google Stack to the list. Google Stack is being ended on September twenty third, twenty twenty four. Users have ninety days from the notification time to export their documents to Google Drive. They have a new export tool available to transfer your Stack documents to Drive, and Google recommends using Google Drive for future document scanning and organization. So there's two ways you can export this. You can bulk export to Drive. Go into the Stack app and go click settings and it says export all documents to Drive. Or you can individually open each document, share and then share them to wherever you want. But I really like this app, this PDF scanner, because it was simple, it was clean. So what do I recommend? You can use Google If you have an Android phone, Google Drive is typically installed in there. So if you long press on the icon on your Google Drive app, you will see there is a little option for scan and you tap that and now all of a sudden, you have a PDF scanner on your phone and just hold it over a document and it will instantly scan that document into a PDF. It's basically the same exact technology that was built into Stack, but it's now on your phone. Natively, it's been there forever, but it's just one thing if you need to scan receipts or whatever. The other app that I like that is cross platform is Adobe Scan. I have a little shortcut to that on my homepage. What I like about that is that it works really well. It scans documents very nicely, cleans them up greatly, and you can also save it as a PDF or a JPEG. So once it's saved as a I just did two scans, one with Google, one with Adobe. The Adobe Scan came out slightly better. But once it scans it as a PDF, you can save it as a JPEG as well, so it gives you kind of, you know, a couple options there, and it works, by the way, for both iOS and Android. So Adobe Scan, that's saying. You can also use Google Drive shortcut or this PDF scanner app called Google Stack that is going away. Eighty eight rich one on one eighty eight seven four to two four one zero one. Coming up, we'll talk evs right here on rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you talking technology. The website for the show rich on Tech dot TV I've got my latest newsletter front and center. The headline is Pixel Paris and Prime Day your tech summer preview. So in my newsletter this week, I've got all kinds of good information. I recap my trip to New York City and New Jersey, talk about the foldable events that are coming up Prime Day, some of the deals I like, some of the things I would buy right now, well, I mean I would put in my cart to see if they go on sale. I link up my phone stand that I like, a cord holder that I love for my desk, a portable charger, my favorite tripod slash selfie stick, and my favorite basic phone case. That's all in there. Then I've got my TV segments. This week. I covered text now, which you might have heard here on this radio show. I also talk about the Fitbit LTE. Let's see I answer some questions. I've got an app to download cybersecurity throwback tech. My brother built this cool I don't know what you call it, a rack, entertainment rack. And on the top is this old CRT TV with a VCR and we popped in the tape of a VHS of Jurassic Park, and I got to say it still looks pretty good now. The TV was like, must have been a thirteen inch TV, so clearly anything's going to look good on that. But I was pretty impressed that after all these years, I mean VHS, it's been a long time since we used VHS, long time and it still looked good. Anyway, that's all on the website. Rich on tech dot TV. You might have heard the news this week that Volkswagen invested in Rivian. I know it seems like an unlikely alliance, but Rivian needs the help. Volkswagen has the money, so they pledged up to five billion dollars into Rivian. Rivian stock pop for a bit. I just checked the price. It's not as high as it was. But this does give this This does give me hope for Rivian, because as much as I love Rivian, I'm still not convinced they're going to be around in a couple years because they are on the bubble. I would say they've got great cars, great technology, but you know they are. They've got some headwinds and their cars are very expensive. They're losing money on them and they need to come out with these cheaper models that they've teased. But it's still going to be two years twenty twenty six before they come out, so we've got a while or is it twenty twenty five, Maybe it's twenty twenty five anyway, So the deal is initially Volkswagen is going to give them a billion dollars, then an additional four billion with all these like rules and regulations. So I don't care about that part. What I'm most interested in why are they doing this? So they are looking to accelerate software development and reduce costs for both companies, and they're talking about this zonal architecture in their cars. So what this means is it centralizes electronic control into sort of area specific computers. So instead of having a whole bunch of different computers in the car, like these control units, it has different computers that I guess control different zones of the car. I don't know what all that means. All I know is that it's probably like a different way of thinking about things. If you look at a lot of these like you know, a lot of these traditional car companies, they're still building their evs the way that they built their gas powered cars. And if you look at the pure EV companies like a Rivian or a Tesla. They are building their evs from the ground up as an electric vehicle, So I think Volkswagen's trying to capture a little bit of that magic for them and share a little bit of that money with Rivian. So we'll see what happens. A cool new app this week called charge ly c h A r G E l Y. Charge Ly is an app if you have an EV It's available for iOS and Android and it basically helps you find charging along the way. It's like a route, a charging routing app, and the neat thing about this is that you can plan your entire route from this app before you leave. Now, it's not perfect. I did test a couple of different routes. It didn't get everything right. But what's neat about this is that you can see where the chargers are, get a lot of detail about that. The community can offer kind of insights on the chargers, so if something doesn't work or it's broken, or it's not as fast as they say, that's really useful. But you can also find amenities like food and bathrooms near the charging stations. That's a big deal. When you stop for an EV charge, you want somewhere to go to the bathroom and maybe pick up a snack. So again, that app is called charge ly cha our g e l Y, and then tire Rack. I know they're sort of biased because they sell the tires, but they tested nine EV tire models, EV specific models and non EV's. They put them on a Tesla Model three. They checked them out for handling, noise and energy efficiency, and they came up with the best overall tires, the most energy efficient, the least energy efficient, the best overall performance, and then the best balance of performance and efficiency. I will link up that report on the website rich on tech dot TV. But spoiler alert, the Michigan Michelin Pilot Sport four S non EV was the best overall, but the most efficient was the Hancook rich on tech dot TV. Coming up, we're gonna talk barcodes they're celebrating fifty years. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology. We'll get back to the phone lines in just a moment, but first let's talk about barcodees. Yes, the little thing on the back of your packaging. I actually scanned one today, just this morning. My guest is Bob Carpenter, President and CEO of GS one us here to talk about fifty years of the barcode. Bob, thanks for joining me, Rich, it's great to be here. So this is something that started in nineteen seventy four on a pack of Wrigley's Juicy Fruit gum, which I loved as a kid. Tell me about the history of the barcode.
Speaker 13: Well, the history of the barcode really stemmed from an opportunity to improve the speed of checkout at retail establishments in the US. And because before the barcode, as you and I may remember, you had to manually key in the price for every single item and a cash register, which was incredibly slow for the shopper. So the retail grocery industry got together and looked for ways to become more efficient and ultimately selected the UPC barcode and GS one to administer the barcode. And as you mentioned a few years ago, the first barcode scan occurred with a ten pack of Rigli's Juicy Fruit gum in Troy, Ohio, and today we estimate over ten billion items are scanned every single day using a barcode at retail establishments around the world.
Speaker 1: Now I'm old enough to remember, back in the day, Costco actually did not use barcodes. They went against the grain and they would like call out the number on the package, and you know, they type it in like you said. But now that's all changed. They've gotten on board as well.
Speaker 5: They've gotten on board.
Speaker 13: But you know you're right because people think it's intuitive. But when barcodes were first introduced, there was a lot of concern around I can't see the price in the product. How can I make sure that whatever's getting scanned is charging me properly as a shopper. So it was a pretty significant transition, let alone all the equipment that had to be installed at the front of a retail store and the commitment from brand owners to tag their products using barcodes.
Speaker 1: So explain to me what your company does. What is GS one us do with the barcode You said you administer them. How does that work exactly?
Speaker 13: So GS one is a global non for profit standards body, and we create the standards that is really the data syntax within a barcode, and barcodes are used at point of sale, but they're also used all the way through the supply chain. So think about additional information related to palettes or cases or batche and lot numbers or expiration dates or item counts. Barcodes that you see on those larger items in a warehouse follow GS one standards, And why the standards are important is irrespective of whether a technology I'm using in my warehouse management system or my point of sale systems, or whether I'm in the United States or France or China. Those standards allow technology and retail establishments to automatically read that information and understand what it means. So GS one is a standards body, and we administer that standard across one hundred and eighteen countries around the world.
Speaker 1: Well, my kids love to scan the barcodes at Target at the self checkout. They are very good at that. What exactly information is contained in a bar code, Like is it just numbers?
Speaker 13: Well, today, the UPC barcode that we've known for fifty years really contains one number called a Global Trade Item number that signifies the product. But tomorrow we anticipate barcodes are really going to migrate to QR codes. And QR codes can hold three thousand and four thousand characters of data within them, and so all of a sudden you have the opportunity to share with the shopper information around allergens sustainability content as to how I recycle the product or how it was grown, or in the event of a recall, I can scan that product and make sure that if I've heard about a recall, I don't mistakenly buy that product and take it home to my family. So QR codes are going to usher in the next generation of bar codes, and we're working with the industry to make sure those QR codes can go beep a checkout through GS one standards and the work we're doing with brand owners and retailers.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's interesting. So you imagine a future where we will see QR codes on products instead of that standard line looking barcode.
Speaker 13: I think it's going to be a long time before the UPC barcode maybe disappears, but I think increasingly, certainly, starting in twenty twenty seven, you're going to see a lot more products with a QR code and a UPC barcode together on the product. But over time, for some brand owners, they're eager to pick up the space on the package and just have a QR code.
Speaker 1: In the future, is there a standard for QR codes like there is for the UPC because I feel like there's different styles of QR codes out there.
Speaker 13: There is a standard. It was developed by Denzo in Japan thirty years ago. This year, ironically, they're celebrating their thirtieth year anniversary, and QR codes do have a standardized format that they need to follow in order to scan properly.
Speaker 1: Are there any security concerns around QR codes. We've heard that there could be malware embedded in these things. Is that realistic?
Speaker 13: Well, whenever you scan a QR code, you're likely offering up that information about where you were or your phone to the person that's providing the app or setting up the link. So you do need to be concerned about the fact that you may be revealing a level of information about yourself that you might not want. So if you're very concerned about that, you probably should hesitate to scanning QR codes, maybe outside a point of sale or at your home if you don't want to reveal that information. But increasingly, what we find is the benefits of scanning QR codes far outway the concerns around privacy that consumers have, and we're seeing seventy nine percent of consumers are more inclined to purchase products if they could scan a QR code to get that information that they want.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you're saying that this QR code in the future could not only hold the information for the product, like the point of sale information, but also we might be able to scan it with our phone, or would be able to scan it with our phone to get more information about that product, something that we're already seeing on a lot of products. So people are taking advantage of that. Clearly rich that's exactly right.
Speaker 13: Well, we anticipate as a QR code powered by GS one that provides the benefits of QR codes today with a lot of rich information around allergens or sustainability content and also goes beep a checkout like the barcode we've enjoyed for the last fifty years.
Speaker 1: Ah. Okay, that makes a lot more sense. Now, are retailers going to have to upgrade their systems to take advantage of the QR code scanning at checkout?
Speaker 13: Retailers will likely need to make sure that they get the latest released from their technology providers that run their front end systems. Typically, that's a pretty simple release that they need to install because many front end scanners already are optically enabled because of QR codes that we use on coupons for examples, or driver's license. So most front end systems already have optical scanning, but they oftentimes need a new release from the solution provider to be able to ingest the price point into the back end systems that retailers operate.
Speaker 1: Now, most of what we talked about has been consumer product and retail, but what about other industries like healthcare?
Speaker 13: Yeah, healthcare has been using data Matrix, which is an equivalent of QR codes similar but a different type of two D code for a number of years now. But in healthcare, what we see is the need to connect the patient with the medical device or the pharmaceutical item that that patient is using to improve patient safety, to make sure that the patient gets the right medical device or the right drug, but also to optimize and improve operations within the hospital. So the same benefits that have revolutionize the supply chain in the retail space is also doing the same to provide better patient safety and lower cost in the context of healthcare.
Speaker 1: I know there were many downsides to the pandemic, but I think one of the upsides was really the adoption of the QR code. Do you think that makes this transition easier in the future. Absolutely.
Speaker 13: It's funny you mentioned that because I traditionally wasn't convinced that QR codes were going to be the way of the future. Back in the early twenty tens, it was a lot of promotion and merchandising activity that I didn't necessarily think was very prevalent with shoppers. But you're right, a lot changed with COVID in the United States. But when you go outside of the United States and Asia and Europe, QR codes have been pretty.
Speaker 5: Prevalent and growing very rapidly.
Speaker 13: So I think now we're just catching up, and I'm a believer in QR codes.
Speaker 1: Bob Carpenter, President and CEO of gs one US, thanks so much for joining me today.
Speaker 5: Thank you Rich for having me.
Speaker 1: The website gs one us dot org slash fifty.
Speaker 5: If you want to learn more about.
Speaker 1: Fifty years of the barcode, I'll put a link to the website on mine. Just go to rich on Tech dot TV. This is rich on Tech. We'll be right back. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here talking technology with you. The website for the show Rich on tech dot TV. You can go there and hit contact to send me a message. Rest assured it does make it to my inbox. I may not be able to reply to everything, but I do my best, and I read selected emails here. Let's get to the feedback segment and open some of those emails up Neil from Ohio. I think Neil might be the most prolific writer on the website. He typically emails me. I would say every week, Hey, Rich, enjoyed the last show, especially having your brother on cool. You should now know now by now know the first app that comes in here. Oh, you should know by now that the first app that comes up in your app store search is not going to be the one you searched for. It doesn't matter if it's Apple or Google. The stores have become just like search engines. Read carefully. Thanks for all that you do. That's right. I did tap on an app last week that was a total scam. But yes, tap on the second app, not the first. No name here. A listener from Newport Beach, California writes in I like your show, but I really really dislike your bumper music. I don't know what to say because I personally choose a lot of the bumper music. I curate it, and so does Bobo, so I don't know what to say. I like the bumper music mostly Yeah, you're Bobo is offended. That's it. He's done. Let's see. Dave writes in Rich someone called in with AT and T internet access and poor Wi Fi. You kept referring to it as cable. I have AT and T, and AT and T does fiber to the home. This is not like cable at all, as there is no modem. There is a router, but you cannot replace the AT and T router easily. In my case, the fiber goes to an ont optical network terminal. This converts the optical stuff to Ethernet, and then that goes to the AT and T router. The issue is that the router logs onto the AT and T network with an encrypted handshake that includes a certificate, so you cannot just replace the AT and T router. Newer AT and T routers include the OT built into the router. Okay, AT and T recommends router pass through if you don't want to use their router, however, it must remain in the path. However, you can turn off the Wi Fi on the router and use your own access point for Wi Fi, which is what I do and what you recommended. I do not get how AT and T forces you to use their router, but cable companies cannot do this. Okay, thanks Dave for the clarification. Yeah, that was That was a tricky one. The person called in they wanted to set up their EURO with the AT and T fiber and yeah, they were trying to turn off the pass through or turn on whatever it was. She writes in I agree with your advice about adding an Euro. Oh, this is the same topic or ORB to AT and T routers. I recently helped my sister who switched from Spectrum to T Mobile five G home. All of her devices went offline because the call center told her to turn off ORB. I had her plug the ORBI base into the T Mobile router, and instantly all her devices reconnected. I explained to her that the orby is like an extension cord to the Internet. For those of us in computer science, this is intuitive, but for most people it's not. We need to be patient when helping others with their tech issues. Chi I agree. That was the topic of my uh sort of my initial rant last weekend I just mentioned I said, look, you know, we take this stuff for granted that we know how it works, we know how we understand, you know, And I've said on this show, I do not have all the answers to every single tech question in the world. Right. What I can do is I can research, and I can understand, and I have kind of a general understanding of what the problems might be. It's not as if I can say, oh, yeah, I just go to this setting da da da like for something. Sure, but it's kind of an understanding of, like, Okay, let's think about this problem and how can we solve it. So I agree you do have to be patient. Chuck from Temple City, California writes in you mentioned texts Now. A few weeks ago, I ordered the SIM for a not too old phone. Yes, it sort of kind of works, but not really. The app kept closing slash locking up. Please tell the CEO to blame my Moto G seven at this point. So I went for Boost for ten dollars. I use it for a side hustle job. Every piece of software that sort of kind of works is a pretty big waste of time. Yes, I reinstalled the text now app and it's still locked up. I'd give it one star. Will Chuck from Temple City. I did test out the text now app. I did not have any problems with it locking up, so I would say it's probably your phone. But again, you know, this is why I test stuff out before I talk about it, because I want to have that firsthand experience of how things work. Bob writes in It's like people email me. They'll say, hey, Rich, that gadget you just talked about it gets you know, five three stars on Facebook or Instagram or Amazon. I said, well, I can't speak for all the people reviewing it. I can only speak from my experience, and if it works for me, that's what I'm talking about. Bob writes in, Hey Rich, I thought i'd let you know about a scam I encountered. I got locked out of my Facebook account and I don't know why. A guy called me claiming he could fix my Facebook account. He used any desk to supposedly help me restore it, but it was a big lie. He was trying to get money for me and kept trying to get my Wells Fargo account number. The number he was used he used was a area code six oh five for South Dakota. I seem to remember seeing something about Indonesia. He somehow found my Facebook checkpoint page and was using that to get to me. I've tried to contact Facebook and Meta, but it's impossible to get through. I'm letting you know so you can make people aware of this scam. Old folks like me, aged seventy eight might get conned. Tell them about this number and hang up if they get such a call. Thank you Bob for the warning, and yes, this was a coincidence that you got locked out and someone happened to call you. They're just calling all kinds of people hoping one of them falls for their scam. Pat from Tokyo, Japan writes in Hey, Rich, I enjoyed your recent show and I'm glad to hear the L word Linux. It's not for everyone. Those contemplating moving from Windows to Linux and their PC should know that more often than not, their PC manufacturers have installed proprietary drivers for Bluetooth and Wi Fi. As an example, if Windows is reinstalled clean, there's a good chance the Bluetooth and Wi Fi will not work, and maybe even the display won't perform The same without the manufacturers drivers. The same story goes for Linux, which cannot use the manufacturers Windows drivers. Do know that it's possible to purchase a PC that is certified to run certain Linux distributions. It is best to do the homework before taking the plunge. Keep up the great work well. Number one. I love the fact that Pat you're listening from Tokyo, Japan, one of my favorite cities in the world. And yes, we did mention the L word last week. Linux. I don't mention it on the show very much because number one, I don't have a lot of experience in Linux because I don't use it. I understand the appeal and I understand why people love it. But we did discuss last week the pros and the cons. And if you think Android's complicated, Linux is like the next level. It's a real DIY kind of thing. I think that it has its place, and you know what, maybe I'll tinker, Maybe I'll have to get some sort of Linux device and figure out why I'm so hesitant to talk about that. But I think this show is for the average person, and I think that the average person is on a platform like Windows. The average person's on a platform like Mac. The average person's on an iPhone, the average person's on Android. That sort of covers it for what I talk about here. In addition to evs and smart home stuff and websites and apps and all of that. Linux, I'll be honest, I almost never get a question about Linux. Jerry from Atlanta writes in another great informative weekly Tech Update. I'm originally from northern New Jersey slash Ridgewood. I used to live in Orange County, and that's how I discovered you. Now I'm retired live in an Atlanta suburb. You provide a great service. Keep up the good work. And Ridgewood, New Jersey. I went to Christmas Eve in Ridgewood, New Jersey every year for my entire life until I moved to California. That's where my aunt and uncle live, and we had some great nights celebrating Christmas Eve there in Ridgewood. Nice town, and Forest writes in I don't know if you remember, but the first time you filled in for LEO, I sent you an email to say you did great, and I meant that also. I love your newsletter. You've got the perfect format, short description of that section's topic with a link for further reading should the readers find something they want to know more about. On all aspects of you basically replacing Leo, but with the added advantage of TV. You are doing great. Keep up the good work. Aloha Forest and Forest. You made my day with that email, because take it over this show was no easy feat and I know a lot of people were wondering what direction was it going to take, how was it going to continue, and what was I gonna do with it? And by the way, this is episode number seventy eight, so year and a half. Woo. It's gone by very quickly, and that is gonna do it for this episode of the show. You can find links to everything I mentioned on my website. Just go to richon tech dot TV. I keep very good notes. You can find me on social media. I am at rich on tech. Thank you so much for listening. There are so many ways you can spend your time. I do appreciate you spending it right here with me. Have a fun and safe fourth of July. My name is rich Demiro. Thanks to everyone who makes this show possible. Later