Speaker 1: Welcome back to another episode of Unplugged, brought to you by DraftKings. The Phoenix Suns Hath fired coach Bud one and done. Thirty six and forty six was his record one season, but this has kind of been a common thing since Matt Ishbia has taken over the Phoenix Suns. He's had three coaches and his three years here, starting with Money Williams forty five and thirty seven. The year before that he won Coach of the Year and they went to the finals. He was fired. Frank Vogel fell victim after that, forty nine and thirty three. After one season he was fired, and now Bud. Probably the only one on this list that deserves to be fired is thirty six and forty seven, and he's out. Obviously, we know that the Phoenix Suns went to the finals in twenty twenty one. CP three was in the mix for three years and I think everyone thought this was a very promising situation for them. Isba came on board in twenty twenty three, fired Money Williams, fired Big Vogel, and now fired Bud. The news has came out this morning that the Sons will work with Kevin Durant on a new trade destination. And I think that probably comes out a little bit out of left field, because let's back up a little bit. Bradley Beal, who I'm a big fan of, Dad, Mark Bartlestein.
Speaker 2: Yeah, his agent, So Beal's agent is Mark Bartelstein.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And then Mark Bartlestein's son, Josh, is the CEO of.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, So there was some inside you guys heard that. So Marcus Beal's agent, Mark's son is the CEO of the Sons, So there was some insider trading going on with that team, and we all know that. Obviously, the Beial experiment has not worked out. The team has been bad. He hasn't been very good. I think he's averaged seventeen and four over his two years with the Sons, played no more than fifty three games each season, so he's damn near making a million dollars a game. And to his credit, he activated his no trade clause with this team. So I think that clogged up the pop pipeline at the trade deadline. And since that was clogged up, they threw Kevin's name in there at a left field and obviously, as it should, it kind of raised Katie's eyebrows, and now they're on the verge of losing. Obviously Kevin Durant this offseason. Another thing to keep in mind, Brad, Jimmy Butler was very adamant about wanting to become a Phoenix son and the one person that had from the Sun's side that had to be in that trade was Beal, and Bill exercised his no trade clause and completely plugged up and clogged up and and fucked up that deal. Now, if you look at what Jimmy Butler has done with Golden State, injected new life into them and has them in a playing situation, one just wonders what could have happened if Jimmy Butler was able to go to the Phoenix Suns. Very interesting and I just think you know, of late this last month, I've really been talking about new owners coming in and not necessarily understanding that this is not fantasy basketball. Although it is your team, you are free to do what you want. A lot of these new owners are making mistakes. One owner partnership I wanted to shout out was the new Boston Celtics situation where a group came in paid a lot of money for the team, but keeping with Grossbeck in charge of things for three years, so almost a transitioning program for the new ownership and allowing the old ownership to kind of show them the lay of the land, because the last thing they want to do is mess up the property or the product on the court. And I think the Celtics have done it the right way. You look at Dallas and see what they've done. You look at Phoenix and see what they've done. And we've always talked about winning start at the top, So I think the NBA needs to kind of really watch out for these new owners and making sure they have the right mindset and spirit and integrity it takes to run one of these franchises, because we've seen two franchises with promising just Dallas was in the finals last year and Phoenix in the finals four years ago. New owners come in and kind of completely tear down what was built before. Now we want to welcome in my brother ke On Dueling to talk about Phoenix. Kde Welcome to the show man, Bud, it is gone. What are your thoughts?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 4: Man, I mean, what is that three coaches in the last three years something like that?
Speaker 1: A coach per year since Ishbia has been here. Not to cut you off. Every year there's been a new coach since the owner's been here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, man, it's obviously you know, something isn't isn't clicking right because they're not able to you know, not only get their talent, retain their talent. There's no continuity you bringing in new programs every year.
Speaker 2: I don't like it. Something is going on in Phoenix and it just doesn't feel good to me.
Speaker 1: I always felt like on paper, you see the names this team's had, from Chris Paul to obviously Devin Booker's been the constant, Kevin Durant the latest. I always felt like they were a very top heavy team. I compared them to a team that only lifts upper body and their legs are super skinny. Because I said, they always had super you know, they had the best of the best up top, but they never had depth because they poured so much money into those guys. One thing too, obviously, with the trend of late is being owners kind of coming in and being a little bit over their head. I don't know a ton about Eshbo obviously, you know, walked on to Michigan State. But one thing I do know is he hired Bartlestein, who was an assistant GM over in Detroit, who is the son of Mike Bartelstein, who is Beal's agent. So there's some home cooking. There was some home cooking with that deal that brought Field to Phoenix. That's pretty much fucked everything up. And this is not shitting on Bill. I think Bal's been a tremendous player throughout his career, but his time in Phoenix he's at like seventeen and four. You know, he was a twenty five point plus per game score. He's making a ton of money, has it. He's played fifty three games in his first two seasons in Phoenix, so pretty much he's getting a million dollars per game. We know that he was the one that didn't want to move his no trade clause, which somehow Phoenix management thought he'd be a good idea. Well, shit, if he's not going to move his trade clause, let's se we can get with Kevin Durant without asking Kevin Durant. And then now you see reports this morning that Phoenix is gonna work with Kevin Durant to find him a new home. So I don't care how good your team is on paper in the locker room, KD. We all know that shit starts up top and it it's a trickle down effect.
Speaker 4: Yeah, man, it's it's unfortunate, you know, because at the end of the day, like this hurts Kevin Durant's legacy somewhat, right because like, at the end of the day, if KD, you know, doesn't doesn't get those championships in Golden State, right, which they say he wasn't the leader on even though he was the best player on that team. This was an opportunity for him to go out band together, have his own program, and it's just it's a failed experiment. So I don't like it for KD, but I'm glad they'll work with them to get him placed in the right new situation.
Speaker 1: Kevin Durant was the best player on that team and I was there one year. Kevin Durant was the best player on that motherfucking team. It was Steph's team, there's no question about it. And Draymond was the leader. But Kevin Durant was the best player on that team. But since we're on the Kevin Durant topic, before we go to the next do where do we see him landing. Do we see back to Golden State? Do we see him to the Knicks? Do we see him to Houston? Do we see him do we see you know, we know Okac has a ton of things that they can throw his way or a team's way to grab him. Ideally, this is probably gonna be, hopefully be his last move. Katie has maybe two three more years at best under his belt. Where do you think a good fit for Kevin would be? If this comes to fruition, then he ends up leaving Phoenix anywhere.
Speaker 4: Kevin Durant Gos is a good fit in my opinion. He's just that good of a player.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not just on the offensive end, but defensively, right. KD is KD at the end of the day. He's a hooper to the core. He loves this shit. He loves it. I think it's the two sleeper locations, right.
Speaker 4: If he doesn't go to like one of the big contenders like I would have I would, I would think Miami would try and make a move for him and get a superstar down here at some point. Pat Riley always tries to you know, maneuver and make his moves, especially on the cusp of Jimmy kind of go in a different direction.
Speaker 2: And then don't be surprised if.
Speaker 4: Like you know, the Wizards get the number one pick, they get Cooper Flag. Maybe KD goes back home. That's a sleeper that might happen as well. So I'm not sure where he'll go. I just want him to go somewhere where he can just hoop, you know, and build on his legacy.
Speaker 1: I think one thing that's rare about him being one of those superstars, and obviously we live in the era where superstars move. He seems to be the only superstar that moves and fits in seamlessly wherever he goes, because like you said, all he does is hoop. He don't cause no problems. He goes out there and plays basketball every day. He's healthy, and he plays it at a very high level on both ends. So wherever he ends up landing selfishly, I love to see him make a run for Golden State. He's thirty seven, he's got one million left on his deal. At fifty four million, you'll probably look forward two to three year extension to ride off into the sunset. Man, So we wish KD the best of luck playoffs are here, Man, best time of the year. The Eastern Conference playoffs picture as as such, Bucks versus the Pacers, Nicks versus the Pistons. Celtics will either play the Magic or the Hawks, and the Calves will play whoever becomes the A seed. Obviously they're sitting at the top of the East. Let's start with Bucks and Pacers real quick. What do you like and don't like about this series?
Speaker 4: Well, I don't like that Dame, you know, may not be available right I think they had injuries last year. The Pacers are a team that beat them and put them out of the playoffs last year. They are dangerous, you know, especially like with a man down, especially somebody is influential and impact with his Dame. We could be seeing Yannis, you know, for the last time.
Speaker 1: And don't say that. I don't say that.
Speaker 4: If they get knocked out the first round. I can see Yanni's trying to get to a bigger market.
Speaker 1: Definitely not mad at that. There's been whispers in the past. The reports are that at some point this series Dame will play thanks to our brother Sham. But if Dame isn't Dame, him just being on the court is not enough for this team to advance, and I think we know that, you know, we've kind of seen since then winning a championship, this team has not really taken any steps forward. They've moved role players that they thought they can get around with. Similar to Denver, I think sometimes people get fucked up obviously knowing that the stars make the world go round, but role players are so instrumental in championship runs. And you look at the PJ. Tuckers and the Portoises and the guys they had during those runs that they let go, similar to what Denver did, you know when they let their Jeff Green and Bruce Brown and all those role players go there instrumental and they haven't been able to find that chemistry since. So I'm definitely not mad at what you said. This could be the last time we see Yannis wearing that nasty green. We will have to pay attention. Giannis has three years left on his deal in a player option for twenty twenty seven twenty eight season. That's sixty three million, So that'll definitely be an interesting series is to play close attention to are we seeing the end of an era? With Giannis next up? This is one of my favorite first round matchups. Nicks versus the Pistons. Obviously, Nicks shout out to Tibbs back to back, first back to back fifty win seasons since pat Riley did it way back in the day when we are teenagers. The Pistons, I want to salute this team man, the way they've been quietly being able to build a solid, young, versatile roster. And who's over there coaching. He got the act somewhere. He didn't even deserve to get the ash from Cleveland, right, Yeah, fix that completely changed the mentality of that organization round along with the players. But this is going to be an interesting matchup, KD. You know Brunson's been struggling with injury. He's getting back, but we all know the Knicks core guys are at the top of the league in minutes, and that fifty win means nothing if you can't do nothing in the playoff because you're too tired. So what are your thoughts on this first round matchup?
Speaker 2: Very interesting matchup.
Speaker 4: I think Detroit has such a young team, They're talented, they're hungry act they know that they.
Speaker 2: Belong now right.
Speaker 4: They have really developed that program they embody Coach Bickerstaff and his personality, cad is taking his game.
Speaker 2: To another level. They got a lot of defensive versatility.
Speaker 4: But I think the Knicks has too much experience to be outsted in the first round. Tivs is a you know, he's battle tested, especially you know, in the first round of the playoffs. I think Kat brings a different dimension, you know, playoff cat.
Speaker 2: You know, I think big Bodega in New York.
Speaker 4: I think he'll have his energy, and yeah, I think the Knicks will take care of business against the Pistons.
Speaker 1: I definitely agree. I think this is going to be a good opportunity for the Pistons to touch the playoffs. They haven't been there in a while. Good young team with the Thompson Twins and Cade and all those pieces they have over there. But I agree, I think the Knicks do have the depth. I just want to see how long this depth can last. But you know, whether they have three guys or four guys in the top twenty five, guys in the top ten in minutes and five in the top twenty five, so they're starting five has played the majority of the season. Although I respect that and hats off, we all know, man, when it comes to playoff times, you need them legs agree.
Speaker 2: You know what.
Speaker 4: But the thing about it is those guys have been playing that those type of minutes the whole year, and like you can't save them in the playoffs. You get days in between, so you get a chance to recover. Obviously, Tibbs plays his guys right, but you know, it's just a part of TIBs philosophy.
Speaker 1: That'll be interesting to see though, because again, if this team, I mean, I don't see him losing in the first round, but it's going to be an interesting second round matchup. I mean, does that style does that kind of wear and tear on your core? If you're an owner or GM or you know, are you looking at that as like, Okay, we're winning during the regular season, but we have nothing in the gas tank when it comes to playoffs. So that'll be something interesting to pay attention to. Celtics, who are my pick to win it as long as they're healthy. We'll either see them Magic or the Hawks. If you're the Celtics, do you prefer one of those two? Would you rather stay away from one? What are your thoughts on that?
Speaker 4: I would rather see the Hawks the Magic personally, but it doesn't matter who the Celtic C.
Speaker 2: I think they're gonna repeat this year.
Speaker 4: I think they're just that good, They're that talented, they can play a wide range of styles, and so I don't I don't really care who the Celtic ceed.
Speaker 2: I think they're gonna handle their business.
Speaker 1: I agree, and I really like they've been they've been kind of slow walking. Porzingis the whole season because he was in and out a little bit last year when it met the most. And then obviously Jayalen Brown won't be one hundred percent, but he's obviously an instrumental part in the finals.
Speaker 3: MVP.
Speaker 1: But I agree with you. I mean, from Pritchard to White to the white, who's the white boy that Shootskawseruser is a notch down shooter. Yeah, Misoula gets the most out of those guys. And to me, that's the one team that is locked in last but not least calves in the playing number one team in the Eastern Conference all year, uh Donovan, Mitchell Garland Mobilely, this team is deep and and I think they're ready to make a run again. Who they play in the first round doesn't really matter. What are your thoughts on this team? Obviously, you and I both feel that the Celtics will come out of the East. Do the Calves pose a threat and we're looking obviously a little bit ahead because they were probably playing the Eastern Conference finals?
Speaker 3: Do that? Do that?
Speaker 1: Do the Calves pose a threat to Boston?
Speaker 4: They absolutely oppose a threat to to everybody. Really, the Calves, they're young, they're talented. Donovan Mitchell is proving proving himself time and time again, in particular in the playoffs. If you look at some of his averages in the playoffs, like young fella.
Speaker 2: Be ready during the playoff time.
Speaker 4: They got the defensive versatility, they're well coached, they like playing with each other. They made some adjustments at the deadline so they got better defensively. But yeah, they're they're They're probably the biggest threat to the Celtics in the East.
Speaker 2: In my opinion.
Speaker 1: Donovan Mitchell in the playoffs career number twenty eight, five and five come on now and he's been in the playoffs every year of his career, so that boys ready. He knows come April it's time to go.
Speaker 4: And I really like the way Donovan adjusted his game for Garland this year, Like this was a big mental year for Garland and Donovan adjusted his game, and in my opinion, he grew within his game because he plays on the defensive end now and then he shows selflessness by just saying, hey, you know what, DG.
Speaker 2: We need you, We need you to perform.
Speaker 4: So that when the playoffs do come around, we can have that extra weapon.
Speaker 1: I think Donovan Mitchell, to your point, is one of the most underappreciated superstars we have in this game. He's done nothing but be great every stop. You know, only two stops, but every single season in the playoffs. Numbers are crazy in the playoffs. But I don't think he gets enough, maybe because he's been just been in smaller markets, you know, his whole career, the great State of Utah, Max's favorite, and then obviously Cleveland, you know, not the biggest Marcus, but definitely I definitely see the Calves in the season, in the Eastern Conference finals, heading over to the West where we do it the best. We'll start off with the Lakers and the Wolves. This shit came down to last night's game, and I was selfishly looking forward to Golden State and the Lakers in the first round, but possibly could get that in the second round. But let's start with the Lakers. If I'm the Lakers, I'm I'm happy with this draw that I've gotten. Although Anthony Edwards led the league in three pointers this year, I think he lets people off the hook a little too much because he's shooting that thing so much. But obviously the big void is losing Cap and Julia Randall hasn't been able to really elevate the team like they thought that trade would do. But what is your thought on this first round matchup?
Speaker 2: I like the match up.
Speaker 4: I think it's box office right, anytime you have that kind of talent on the court, you know. But I believe that the Lakers are gonna take full advantage of the youth of the Timberwolves. I don't think the Timberwolves have enough offensive weapons. I think they've regressed offensively after losing Cat. I don't think Julius say is like really like, you know, stepped up in that way and felt that boy. But one thing about Anthony Edwards, he loves the moment. He loves the you know, the limelight. You know, the lights will be on, you know. But I just think that the Lakers will take full advantage of the Timberwolves.
Speaker 2: In this series.
Speaker 1: I agree, and I think the importance for the Lakers to not play with their food. I think it's important for them to finish every series as fast as possible and get as much rest as possible for their guys, obviously Lebron being the main person I'm thinking about, but just overall, we know at this point everyone's no one's healthy, everyone's banged up. So the more rest you can get, the better series like this. You don't want this to drag six or seven games. You know, you want to get this Wolves team out of here in five, six at the most. But I would want to say, you want to get the Wolves out of here in five and get some rest, So we'll see how that goes. Second matchup, we're looking as the Rockets sitting in the second seed. Congratulations to them, emy Udoka. He's got a team full of dogs that have basically definitely taken on his personality, young and hungry. This is gonna be a fun team for many years to watch. Obviously crept up into the second spot. They will face either the Warriors or the Grizzlies. The Warriors are in the playing game for the fourth time. They tip off tomorrow night. They're zero to three in playing games, So the Warriors definitely got the odds against them. That Harrison barn shot kind of fucked them up, right, that Harrison Barnes in Golden State, that crazy game winner, and it was in Jimmy's face, in Jimmy's face to kind of put the Warriors in the do or die situation. Obviously, last night, Kawhi and motherfucking James Harden weren't playing, but a former Warrior could possibly have the Warriors sitting at home if they don't show up tomorrow night versus young hungry Grizzlies team.
Speaker 3: But for the.
Speaker 1: Rockets to play either one of these teams, what are your thoughts on this series?
Speaker 4: I personally don't want the Rockets to have to see the Warriors. I think they've had such a fantastic season. But the Warriors are so battle tested and they played so well since getting Jimmy on the squad that I would hate for them to have to run into those boys in the first round.
Speaker 2: So I'm you know.
Speaker 4: But at the same time, Man Houston, Man, they they're one of those teams I think that are built for the future, but they.
Speaker 2: Don't have the experience right now.
Speaker 4: You know, if they was to run into the Warriors, I think Houston would lose that series.
Speaker 1: I agree with you. I think this is you know, they're they're on a similar trajectories. Okay, See, we've seen OKC kind of tread water at the top of the Western Conference the last few years, and everyone are they're too young, they're to this, to that. Now they're here again, and obviously we'll get to OKAYC and what they can do. But I feel like the Rockets, to your point, are built for the future. But they're here now, and I agree seeing the Warriors would not be ideal for them in the first round. So we will see who that young team plays come tomorrow night. Next up, This is going to be a very interesting series right here. One teams won eight in a row, if I'm not mistaken, the Clippers, and one eight in a row with Kawhi Leonard on the court and being everything he was when he was a two time Finals MVP versus the Nuggets, and the Nuggets can either go two ways, unite team wise through all the BS that's been going on, or allow that to fracture that team. And before we get into the matchup, what is going on over there with young Kronky. Kronky's all right, do you went to school with Cronky?
Speaker 2: Right? Yeah, yeah, I played with k Yeah.
Speaker 1: You played with Josh Atmazoo, right, I did so interesting to me, And obviously you tell me your thoughts. Okay, you want to fire Mike Malone and you want to get Kavimbu. I mean, I have no issue with that, but doing it right now, I mean, to me, that was a very crazy left field move. If you want to fire the due fire him after the playoffs. But obviously they felt like you had to go now. But what are your thoughts on that before we actually get to the matchup of the Clippers.
Speaker 2: Well, think about the Kronkys in that family. They have a standard they do.
Speaker 4: They real good people, They stand up people, and like, at the end of the day, if you're not speaking head coaching GM, if you're not being professional in that setting, your butting heads and things like that, I don't think Josh was gonna let that linger, you know, And he made a swift decision, a bold decision at that moment, right. And then also, if they don't have plans for the future for those guys to be brought back. You know, they maybe they wanted to get out of the get out of the race so they could get some new younger talent as a coach, or maybe you know somebody who else who's been fired. But Kromp don't play like that. Man, He's he's a hooper red heart. Yeah, he's a hoop of red heart. And so if they didn't, it wasn't representing him in the way that he thought was right. He made his decision.
Speaker 1: Playing the Clippers will get them faster to that decision they want to make, because they could be gone in about ten days. So who do you have with the Clippers and the Nuggets. One team is hot at the right time, and one team has some bs at the top, and we all know it all starts at the top.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: Surprisingly, bro, I think the Clippers is the one team that really matches up well with.
Speaker 2: The Nuggets.
Speaker 4: In the West. So for me, I think that Clippers can get them. I personally think the Clippers can get them. They've been playing well as a team. They have the pedigree load management, I don't even want to call it load management, the way that they've been able to manage Kawhi and his body leading up into this moment has been beautiful. It's been brilliant. They're well coached. I think Van Gundy now is their defensive coordinator. You know, Norman Powell has stepped up this year and brought an additional scoring. James is facilitating and he's getting his hands on a lot of balls defensively, and I think Zobak has the size, who has the size down low to be able to not stop Joker, but at least make it a little difficult. I think the Clippers are a very dangerous team coming out of the West. I think they're dangerous.
Speaker 1: You touched on them, and I'm glad you touched on them. Is one of the most underrated players in the game. I think he averaged what what did he average this year seventeen and thirteen, And like you said, he won't be he won't be able to stop Jokic, but he's also going to make Jokic work on that defensive end. Zu goes about his business. If I'm not mistaken, they traded him for Mike Muskala and he's been doing his thing ever since, just under the radar. But this year, I think he's had a real breakout year. He could definitely be in the conversation on no field B, but he should be in the conversation of most improved player. He just consistently got better every single year. And he's one of those throwback guys where you can throw the ball down low and he can get you a bucket too. So seventeen and thirteen. But to all your points, we know Tyler's one of the best coaches in the game. We saw what James did last game, but particularly in overtime. He took that shit over yesterday. And then obviously Kawhi is the key. We know Kawhi is the key, and if we get a healthy Kawhi Leonard this playoff series, he's gonna piss everyone off because why can't we get this all the time? But he if he hasn't, now it's going to be at the right time. And I agree. I feel like the Clippers one of those teams that's kind of just floated under the radar of the entire season. But I would not be surprised at all if this is the team that represents the Western Conference in the finals. The one person that's linked to the Nugget situation has been Bob Myers, I don't know if I see Bob going up to the cold to run that shit. I think Bob is waiting for some something in sunny California to pop off, and particularly down south, to pop off, for him to slide in one of those situations. I see Bob obviously he's got a good gig at ESPN right now and got out at the right time with the Warriors. I see Bob floating around that Los Angeles Lakers franchise when the time is needed. I just kick my feet up if I'm Bob and kind of wait for that last but not least The Thunder will be the number one seed in the Western Conference, so you know, obviously we know all the playing teams and all the possibilities with the Thunder. I don't really see maybe the Warriors possibly given them because of the experience, but I think they may be too young and up and down for the Warriors myself. But do you see anybody do you see Oklahoma City coming out of the Western Conference.
Speaker 2: I think it's their time, you know.
Speaker 4: I think they've they've heard all the noise about people saying they don't have enough experience, they aren't tough enough, all the all these negative things, you know, in regards to how they play as a team.
Speaker 2: But I think this is their year to take that step.
Speaker 4: I think it's gonna I think we're gonna see the Celtics and okay, see in the finals.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: So my question, my rebuttal not really rebutal. My questions of that is who is Oklahoma City's second guy that will be twenty points a game in the playoffs. They've done it by committee all year. Who will be their consistent second guy as a check is a Jalen? Who is going to be their second guy that you have to have in the playoffs that is a twenty point a game a night score.
Speaker 2: I think it's Jalen.
Speaker 4: I think he's a guy who can do it on both ends of the floor. I think he has the talent. I think he has the greed. I think he's a young player eager to prove himself right, and I just think it's his moment now. I think he's gonna embrace this like, no, y'all, y'all not gonna point the finger at me. I'm gonna show y'all that I'm worded.
Speaker 1: I love it. I love it. I'm with you. I feel like this can be the year that Oklahoma City has hurt all the rumblings and they paid their dues and did what they need to do to represent the Western Conference. This also could be the last year that someone upsets them and moving forward will be their time. So it's gonna be interesting to see. I'm really excited about this playoff. I think there's been a lot of complaining about the whole season and what should and shouldn't happen, and this is born, then ratings are down. This is gonna be a dope ass playoffs. There's a lot of intriguing matchups. Obviously, the playing is super entertaining. I've always been a fan of the playing because those games are such high level. But I'm really excited to get these twenty twenty five playoffs started with the playoffs here, the producers put some questions together for us, so I want to shoot them to you which player player or player is the most important to their team's success this playoffs. Here's a couple, guys, I'm gonna throw at you. Kawhi Leonard last two months averaging twenty five points, seven rebounds, two steals per game on fifty forty three and eighty from the strike score thirty three and seven and three steals against the Warriors on Sunday to seal the Warriors into the playoffs. Cat Bridges and og you know the Knicks, we talk about their depth and the new pieces they've received, got you know, got a gotta target on their back check and j Dupp who's gonna step up? And we just talked about who's going to be the second score? Anybody come to mind with you?
Speaker 4: I would say the young guys from Oklahoma City, Right, it's really what they do that's gonna determine if Oklahoma City can get to that conference final.
Speaker 2: In my opinion, Like Kawhi is Kawhi.
Speaker 4: We know what he brings when he's healthy, so that's not necessarily a surprise there. But like if those young guys, you don't know, because they improve it, if they can go out and prove themselves, improve their value, they give Oklahoma City a great opportunity to get to the Western Conference Final.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go on the other side. My pick to win it all. I think it's Porzingis and Jayalen Brown. Can they be healthy enough to be right there with Tatum And I think Tatum's on some redemption shit. He's quietly had another great probably first team All NBA type year, was fucked up. Was fucked over last summer with the Olympics, So that's definitely on his shoulder. Uh, you know, was snubbed for Finals MVP, so that's definitely on his shoulder. So I know Tatum's mind is locked in well, Jalen Brown's health in Porzingis's health allow them to be you know that that that that big three duo that I feel like they need to repeat. Young breakout stars last year was Anthony Edwards. Who do you see as a young breakout stars? Is it Williams over and okc or Chet, Is it Amen Thompson, Is it Jalen Green, Kde Cunningham Mobiley. I mean, there's a ton of young stars that are you know, really gonna at their teeth this year in the playoffs, does anyone jump out to you as someone who is going to steal the shine?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I think Amon Thompson down in Houston. I think he's so dynamic on both ends.
Speaker 2: Of the floor. He's a freak of nature athletically and in the playoffs.
Speaker 4: I think his game is kind of built for the physicality, so I think he's going to have a breakout, you know, playoff performance. And he's from Fort Lauderdale at the end of the day, so I'm staying with the home team.
Speaker 1: Wait is he I thought he's from there. I thought the Twins are from the Bay.
Speaker 2: Well, they went to high school in Fort Lauderdale.
Speaker 1: Team I don't even know who I want. I mean, obviously I'm a big fan of the Twins because I got twins.
Speaker 3: I love Kate.
Speaker 1: I just don't think they're gonna get out the first round. Obviously going to be someone who has to go a couple of different rounds, so you're gonna be able to see that. So Thompson could be mobiley. But whoever it is, I'm really excited for this year's playoffs.
Speaker 3: Kd.
Speaker 1: Thank you for joining me, Bro and we.
Speaker 2: Will talk to you.
Speaker 1: So you look at you you look you look good today too. If no one tells you, I'm gonna tell you. Want to welcome in one of my former classmates, the head coach of the UCLA football program, Deshaun foster Man. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I know you came straight from practice today. Announcement We've teamed up with you guys for your Friday Night Lights that'll be taking place Friday the eighteenth. Doors open at five thirty, practice starts at seven. You pitched us an idea of Rutger Park for football. This will be your second time doing it, if I'm not mistaken. Right second, you guys did it last year? How did how did last year go? And how are you hoping this year goes?
Speaker 3: Last year went great? It went so it was it was so big and way bigger than we anticipate. That's why we had to move it to the Drake Stadium, So moved to Drake. We love just how the fans came out and the way they were on the field and just like Rutger you know you right, you can feel it and that's what I was trying. Now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you got some I mean you got three one oh baby coming out. You got what's what's what's the what's the oldude's name that's gonna MC? What's his name? Fit will be MC? And what made you? I love the move? First of all, I mean, I've always been a huge advocate of UCLA, but I've also been frustrated from a standpoint that we always go out and get outside people when we have a plenty of people that have been in our ecosystem that have put the work in, that are talented enough to take a position such as yours. What did it mean for you to be able to come back to somewhere you grew up wanting to go at a successful career at UCLA, went on to play pro, and now you're back as the head coach of UCLA football. What does that mean to you and your family?
Speaker 3: I mean a lot. You know, you really can't put it in the words just because you're not sure if it's obtainable or what's going on. But UCLA is doing a good job. Now are finally, like you said, hiring from inside m H. And you know other sports are doing that and hopefully we can just continue to do that. But as long as I can continue to be successful, I think that there the trend to keep going.
Speaker 1: I think you set the tone. You know, we had this conversation. I think there's a lot not added pressure, but outside because again you're kind of the first homegrown higher for a major sports program we've had, Martin. We got some other situations coming up soon. This is just me talking to you I got some people that know, some people that owe some people. We need to have lunch, man, we need to sit down and talk. But you know, I was super excited when they announced you. You know, obviously text I couldn't make the press conference, but again, just excited. We came in UC that ninety eight together. I saw you put your work in on the field and then just a full circle moment to see you the head coach and the energy that you bring in, the passion you bring and I think now coaching and correct me if I'm wrong. Obviously X and o's will always be important, but you relate to these kids.
Speaker 3: That's the number one thing right now. You got to be able to relate to these kids because the portal is something that's every year, and it's twice a year, you know what I mean. So if you can't relate to these kids and get them to want to come back or buy in or really be in your program to develop them, then you're in this business.
Speaker 1: So what is your thoughts? I mean, obviously recruiting isn't the way we're recruited obviously changes the whole dynamic. And then the portal. You hear college coaches, you know, Hall of Fame. College coaches like, hey, we're not really looking at excuse me, for basketball, We're not really looking at high schoolkids. Don't feel high school kids can help us. We're going to jump in the portal. Do you guys have a philosophy or a balance on how you approach the portal?
Speaker 3: And nil, Yeah, we do. You have to. We're bringing in twenty twenty twenty eight kids per class a little bit, so it's kind of depending on what your holes are or where they're at. But if we recruit a high school kid, we think he's a draft pick, he has potential to make it to the NFL. If he lets us develop him, then we have that chance. And then the portal guy's those free agents. You know, you got to get in there and get a couple guys because some seniors might leave. People leave early, and you got to plug some holes and fill them early. But you know, right now, just with the landscape of the business, you know, I enjoyed. I want these kids to get paid. You know, we were the number one recruiting class football and basketball when we came in, so we understand the value of the school. As long as I can still keep pumping the school and they understand what you get with coming with UCLA.
Speaker 1: There's a kid out there, Nico. I don't want to butcher his last name, but he goes to Tennessee. I heard he left Tennessee. I know he's from so Cal. I know you may not be able to talk about recruits and names, but every time I've seen anybody post on Nico, I've been put in UCLA football.
Speaker 2: You might as well.
Speaker 1: You might as well come on home, man, bring he bring, bring your brother with you, bring pops, you know, bring the whole family.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 1: It's Westwood is a beautiful place, man with a lot of perks, and we'll take care of you. This is me talking, by the way. I won't get nobody in trouble on set, but this is me talking. Your journey from done playing to running back coach over at Texas Tech. Come back home and you're a running back coach for UCLA too, And then when that phone rang to be the head coach of the Bruins, talk to us about your journey post career. Because a lot of us are a lot of players basketball, football, whatever. It may be kind of struggle when our careers are done and you been able to transition into coaching has been your journey, and your journey has brought you back home. But what is that journey like when you were done playing? And how long did it kind of take you to kind of get your mojo back and find what's going to be your second act post NFL.
Speaker 3: I came back to school just to finish my degree. So I wanted to finish my degree. I did that, and so I came back in twenty twelve. I finished playing in nine and those last couple of years or so, twenty ten, eleven twelve, I was kind of just going to see the homies play whoever was still playing, going traveling the games and enjoying that. And then you know, you do promise your mom is you will finish college. So I had to go back and do that. And as I was coming back, I was going to be on campus every day. Bobby Fields, the coach that recruited me to come to UCLA, was the ad over football, and he was like, if you're gonna be on campus every day, come by. I was like, okay. And I still didn't know if I wanted to coach at that time. You know, I knew I might have wanted to be around football, but coaching those hours is different. It's a lot. It's a lot. So we did that twenty twelve thirteen, I was an undergrad coach. Twenty fourteen, I was a GA so my master's for a season. That next year twenty fifteen, I became a player development at UCLA. Then the twenty sixteen I got the running back job at Texas Tech and I was mahomes last season. So that's why I what was he like?
Speaker 1: What was he like in college? Just like he is with the Chiefs?
Speaker 3: Exactly cold. It's just that you don't know if he can continue to play at the tyrans on the next level. Is it going to translate to the pros? And you do it all over again. I know those all those teams would go back and draft Pas because of all those quarterback they took perform, no questions.
Speaker 1: Big ten life. I mean we grew up Pac ten and it transitioned into Pac twelve. But now Big ten. I mean, the travel schedule is probably outrageous, But what is I mean, obviously this was a football move for our school stuff, So what is that? What is that like? I mean, obviously you're playing some of the biggest names in college football. You know, you guys five and seven, you guys had a very solid first season, fortant for obviously for a first year head coach, but then transitioning into one of the most powerful football conferences in the country.
Speaker 3: Most definitely as a competitor.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 3: I was disappoint with our record, but you know, it was a new conference, new travel, new stadiums, a lot of new stuff that a lot of our players haven't been involved in before. So it was a it was a different It was a lot of change. But you know, if you want to be great, you want to play these big time games. You want to play, if you want to win end of the season awards and all of that stuff, you got to play these teams and you got to be in these type of conferences. So I'm looking forward to it.
Speaker 1: Was there any stadium you as kind of the player in you that you guys went to this year because you we didn't get the good chance to go to those kinds of stadiums we're in the pact. Any of those things, you're like, God, damn, this is dope.
Speaker 3: There was one in conference in one out of conference was in state. State got out there. Yeah, we didn't. I was kind of hoping it was a white out, but we didn't get that base. It was still live and then LSU. But I played at LSU during Katrina. Okay, you know what I'm saying. So we played the Saints inside it, but it was different. It wasn't rocking the way it was this past season.
Speaker 1: Best part about being the U C. L a Half football coach.
Speaker 3: Best part is just being back at home. You know, I'm at a university that I can speak for. I'm a walking blueprint on what this school can do for you, and I just try to make sure that my players understand that. And you know, as long as you're listening to me and following what our coaching staff can do, we can get you to your talk.
Speaker 1: Best of luck, new baby. Recently, how has that been? Is wife you holding? You getting any sleep? How's that going?
Speaker 3: I'm leaving the house at four o'clock.
Speaker 1: I see you guys out on the stairs, still dark. At first I looked at the thing, I'm like, heyay, this's motherfucker's dedicated. He's running stairs when it's dark. And then I looked at the time, like, oh shit, this was three hours. This is my fucker's running stairs at four in the morning, five in the morning. Grind, don't stop.
Speaker 3: But I just try to make sure that if the players can see me doing this, man, you got to see it to believe exactly. That's all it is.
Speaker 1: Well, congratulations, man, I wish you the best of luck. I'm happy that we're obviously partnering for Friday and night Lights, but obviously a bigger partnerships are in conversation and Nico be waiting on you, bro, come fuck with us. Appreciate you. Yeah, make sure you guys go check out the latest episode of Art of War with my brother andre Ward with his latest guest, Lamont Roach. Here's a clip. Take a look.
Speaker 3: What was your read on your Vonte going into the fight him personally?
Speaker 5: I think he doubt hisself. Hell of a talent, hell of a puncher, super super super good accuracy. I think that's what leads to the most of his knockouts, honestly. But he doubt his helf and he been doing that since a kid. Some you know, that's just something I know. So that played the that played a little a little bit into the into the fight. I think when especially when there's not a lot of animosity, cause you gotta think a lot of people he fought, they just have differences so that they be into it or whatever the case may be. I don't got no problem with him, and he don't got no problem with me. So I think he was trying to find something to boost his morale or get him going, or whatever the case may be. And he tried to, like like the betting me that he gonna knock me out and stuff like that. That they didn't go too too well for him.
Speaker 3: Did y'all bet? Oh? We bet?
Speaker 5: And we sugar on it.
Speaker 3: He changed his number? Got that chip? Hey? Got that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Got that chip? He changes number slim yeah.
Speaker 2: Hm.
Speaker 5: So you know, but that'd be a conversation for another day.
Speaker 1: That's a wrap for this week's show. You can catch this episode on All the Smoke Productions YouTube and the DraftKings Network. We'll see y'all next week.