Speaker 1: Many extensions in the first week of the season, something that we don't quite see at this I feel like rate kind of a lot going on all at the same time. It's almost as if and it's not only the same team doing it. It's a bunch of different teams. So it's gonna be interesting to see how it plays out.
Speaker 2: But we're going to go through them.
Speaker 1: I want to do take some time here at the top of the show talk a little bit about the young kids, the kids getting paid, the young buck extensions. We had four guys, one of which happened I believe yesterday, maybe early this morning.
Speaker 2: I'll be honest, I've been very busy. I just knew that it happened.
Speaker 1: And there's four big ones, all guys that are that weren't quite free agency yet or didn't already have a deal in place.
Speaker 2: And I want to talk to you about whether or not.
Speaker 1: They are team friendly or they are player friendly, or somewhere in between. There's very interesting I think elements happening here with these. So I just think it's it's it's time. It's time to talk about contracts. I mean, we got the CBA coming up, and I think that the market forces are going to change a little bit then too, So it's just something to pay attention to. Butuola, we shall see. All right, let's get into it. First contract, we had San Diego Padres, Phenom Jackson Merrill. Jackson Merrill signs a nine year, one and thirty five million dollar extension that begins next year, not this year, next year, which actually changes my analysis just a little bit. But this guy was absolutely electric last year. He did He was huge for their team. He is a guy that we are mentioning within the big three of Bogart's, of Tatis and of Manny Machado in the future for this organization. So he is going to be there for most of the next decade into what would have been his free agency years, and he's twenty one years old. But is it a player friendly or team friendly? Well, it's about even I'll be honest. This is a good deal I think for both sides. One hundred and thirty five million dollars is not something to shake a stick at.
Speaker 2: I understand.
Speaker 1: He is the middle of the field position player aka the centerfielder and the shortstop sometimes second base, with the shortstop centerfielder usually the highest value defensive metrically and also with a from a band standpoint, you want a lot of production out of those two positions.
Speaker 2: So he went from shorts, he played shortstop, went to.
Speaker 1: Center field, picked it up immediately because of course he did, and did an amazing job. So this deal, let me break it down for you, because it starts next year, he is going to be have five years of free agency bought out. He is twenty one years old, so he'll become a free agent again.
Speaker 2: At the.
Speaker 1: Reason this is even is kind of come from both directions. One, it's a fifteen million dollar advanced value or advanced annual value, So AAV that is solid, like a really good center fielder, will get upwards of twenty five. But the nice thing about this deal is when it is done, he'll be thirty years old, so if his performance dictates this, he will get another opportunity to go into free agency, which is the point that is when you make the most money. Usually signing extensions with the team that you were brought up with doesn't produce as much dollars as many dollars rather than signing with a team that isn't your team that you're already on. So I think him having the opportunity to go in free agency again if he wants to, while having one hundred and thirty five million dollars in the bank is positive for him. But the team generally gets a guy for fifteen million dollars a year that could very easily become a twenty five to thirty million dollars a year player. That is why this is kind of cross board, and this is why I kind of like it. I like the idea that he's going to get a second free agency opportunity and it doesn't affect the markets for centerfielders as much either. So I enjoy that because he is twenty one years old, and if you're going to do it, do it then and make sure you get over one hundred million dollars please. Second off, we have Christian Campbell signing a smaller deal after just a couple of weeks in the major leagues with the Boston Red Sox eight year sixty million, which comes out to an aav of just about seven point five million dollars, which right now, that's just over about a war a year, one win above replacement. So this one kind of goes advantage team. Sixty million dollars is not a lot of money, as we see with the Ozzy Albi's deal. We got even the Couna deal. It's more in that realm. But and based on what the Red Sox have said and people who've watched him play in real life, he's getting Mookie Bets comps. If that guy turns in Mookie bets. This is wild value for the team. But I like that he took advantage of it. And again, he's twenty two. He's going to be a free agent at thirty. Again, he's gonna get another opportunity for free agency. So that's why he gets a little bit on the old bar here in his direction. But for the most part, it's not a huge investment for the Red Sox. They got their second basement. By all accounts, he's just a pure hitter and then he's going to be a quality player move forward. But it's just not that risky. It's just not that risky. So I like that for him, And it only buys out two years of his free agency because he's barely got any time in the big leagues.
Speaker 2: Third guy, Garrett Crochet. This one was interesting.
Speaker 1: Garret Crochet six years, one hundred seventy million, dollars from the Boston Red Sox. Also, this comes out to an aav of just over twenty eight million dollars twenty eight point three to be exact. He is the ace of the Red Sox, so the Red Sox check one on the Red Sox side for getting their ace. It buys out four years of free agency, so that is obviously a benefit as well, but he will still be a free agent at thirty one years old because he's currently twenty five.
Speaker 2: I think he just turned twenty six.
Speaker 1: Actually, and he's going to get another opportunity for free agency as well, so that's more on his side. This is mostly a player or this is mostly a player deal because he got more money than any and more extension, the biggest extension than anyone has ever gotten. With the amount of work he's done. He only has two hundred and twenty four innings and thirty six starts in his career. That is the risk for the Red Sox and that's why I give him the benefit of the doubt here. I think it's a high it's a high value contract.
Speaker 2: Sure, could he make more.
Speaker 1: Maybe, but he doesn't have the track record and he's had in injury problems to show that that might not happen. So but I think this is just necessary. I think the Red Sox had to do this, especially because Christian Campbell signed a team friendly you can afford to then go out and get your true ac guy who's going to want to start in game one in any playoff series to be paid. But he got paid with very little. Usually track record is a big part of this, and for the first time in a long time or ever, honestly, track record didn't factor into this one as much I like it. But it's definitely Garrett won that one for sure. And lastly, flag Flad grojernaland finally I think gets his stupid contract done so we can stop talking about it. Fourteen years, five hundred million. This one will not be seeing another free agency most of the time, I hear Isaiah, this flatty signing is restored to hope in life they get their centerpiece of their franchise. But this is definitely a player W. This is definitely player W. Five hundre million dollars is the second biggest value contract for anybody, even because there is noted for money. It is beyond sho Heo Tani seven hundred million in real value. Excuse me when you fire and off words like I am you gotta take a drink, and it buys out all of his free agency. He's not gonna hit free agency again. And it comes out to an avy of thirty five point seven million. So I really can't say the benefit. Here's the benefit of the Blue Jays get They're not to worry about it anymore. They got their franchise players that they can build all their media around, and preferably a lot of production in middle of the order. The problem is he's a first baseman. They don't tend to age well. And this is until he's forty years old. At some point, this is probably going to turn into a contract. It's inevitable that everyone's gonna be like kind a lot of money for a guy who can't really move. And that's just what happens when you age. So I will definitely say Flatty won this one. I will definitely say Vladdie won this one. But it was a necessary move for the Blue just similar to the Red Sox. They had to go do it. We've been talking about this all off season, myself included. They had to go do this. I wish they would have done it before they at all came out where they offered everyone else all the money. But I'm glad it's done so now we don't have to talk about it anymore. And uh and I am also really excited to bring in our first guest here on May Day, first guest ever, first time we've ever tried this little apparatus we're going to do so. Cross your fingers everyone at home. Scottie Brown is here. Yeah you hear me, Yeah, yes I can everyone. You can hear him too. Scott Bron, host of Foul Territory and number one in all of our hearts. Thanks for coming on man, thanks for being the number one, number one guest on the show.
Speaker 3: Do I get an extension?
Speaker 2: You wait, you got to give me an extension? What do you mean? I'm on your network right now? What are we talking about?
Speaker 3: True? True? True, I forgot. I can't ask for my own extension, although I mean when I think about Bladdy Junior show, we'll get into it at some point. I bet the front office, who is that Atkins and Shapiro going ownership like, Look, we got to done extension for us. It only cost you double when we could have done this several years ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well you shouldn't have let Sodo go first, and that, you know all brokely.
Speaker 2: Well, let's talk about a little bit.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, I just rapid fired like four of them real quick, and all the young guys are signing contracts. What was your first I mean, obviously we could start with latt What was your first reaction to hearing about the blad news.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Laddie won. Laddie wanted five hundred. He said it publicly. Often this stuff doesn't get that public where you actually know the exact numbers. I mean, Ken Rosenthal was so on this story that he already had that out for weeks. Thirty five point seven at fourteen would get you to five hundred. That's the number. And then eventually you just get that out of Laddie where he's like, yeah, that'll get it done, and the Blue Jays are like, we already went past your value, and he's like, cool, I don't care, I'm going to publicize this. You've lost out on many other big names. You've gotten some. It's not like they had a bad offseason. It's just that the way they're aiming for players these days has not gone well for them, right, like an Otani Roki Sazaki was a tough loss for them. It would have helped if Vladdie Junior was locked up for a while, would it have mattered. No, he was going to sign with the Dodgers either way. But they also went after Juan Soto and as far as we heard, they didn't go past the seven hundred marks, So you weren't even close. And you're showing that you're going to spend that much money on a player. Laddie's sitting there like, oh, hey, I'm Canada's baseball son and I'm a star and I'm young, and you're going to let me get the free agency no way. So I think that he just had him. I mean I think he had him by the balls, Trevor.
Speaker 2: And I think that's what happened.
Speaker 3: And he said, five hundred is the number, baby, and when you get there, you call me and I will sign it. And I don't care how long it takes. You want to wait until June when I'm off to a great start or I'm not. Whatever it is. Right, unless there was an injury, which is not as common for a position player, and he's been pretty damn durable they were going to get screwed on this one. But the thing for me is I'm happy in the end for the Blue Jays to get him for life, right, But if I'm a Blue Jays fan, this is a loss for the front office because everybody has a spending limit and this is going to be an expensive player for a while. That's great, But like I mentioned at the top here, they could have had him for much less. Go back a few years ago. Ken did homework on this and said they could have put out a similar, if not probably a little lower deal than what TATISC got in twenty twenty one in the three hundreds, and that would have gotten it done. Right, If you put at that point two seventy five to three hundred in front of Laddie, I'm sure that would have gotten it done. It sounded like they kept lowballing him through the entire operation. Here. They delayed his service time, they lowballed him on offers compared to the market. They took him to arbitration I think once or twice, so they were just doing everything wrong as a front office. And then, like you mentioned, they could have done this in October and had a conversation and it would have probably ended with I don't know, four hundred, So then they cost themselves another one hundred million dollars when Sodo set the market for someone of his age without a full skill set as a baseball player. Right, he is not a five tool player. He is a hitting legend, but he is not a five tool player. So when you add it all up, huge win for Bladdie Junior, Huge win for Blue Jays fans because who cares. Big loss for the front office. And if they don't make the playoffs this year and I'm running the Blue Jays, I am sweeping that up and starting over because their firm system sucks too.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: They it feels like they stumble, stumble, stumble. They're holding the bag of stumbling and then they just like fumbled it right into his hands. But you know, I can't fault it. I was a player. I got to be on the player side here. And this wasn't just the only crazy extension in my opinion. Garret Crochet also unprecedented, and then contrasts that with with Christian Campbell a little bit because the same team, they got two very different kind of players in terms of like length of time and also dollar amounts. So how'd you feel about the Crochet and the Christian Campbell signings.
Speaker 3: I thought Crochet did really well. Remember last year he was getting criticized for not wanting to get moved to a team that's gonna throw him in the bullpen or just mess around with him. In general, I don't blame him. I mean, you can give us the pitcher perspective on this, but he had been hurt. He's on a White Sox team that does not have a great reputation for a lot of things right now as far as player development, and then you're going to ask him to move teams and get on a different plan during his breakout season when he hasn't really gotten paid much yet. No thanks, So I thought, good for you for standing up for yourself. He ends up getting the trade to a destination like this, and I don't really feel like there was much of a discount here, and he had two years still left of team control if we're including this year. So I thought him and his team did really well on that front. I know you mentioned you set some records. He to me looks like an ace and to everyone else, but he does come with injury questions. So for him to secure the bag as a pitcher before you hit free agency. That was a no brainer. If you asked me what I thought he was going to get, I thought it would have been more in the mid one hundreds. Instead it gets the upper one hundreds. I would have guessed like one thirty to one forty.
Speaker 2: So good for.
Speaker 3: Him for landing some of that money where I think, what the two or three years of it gets some thirty somethingter mill per season. So for the Red Sox, I mean, you traded a lot for this guy. Keep the guy. It's fine. It's not going to crush them. Of course, you have injury concerns, very at least catching him early on in his career doesn't have crazy mileage on the arm, So fine, fine for both sides there and then Christian Campbell. Of course they're going to get a bargain. But you're asking a player who was a fourth or fifth round pick if he wants sixty million dollars when he didn't even know that they traveled on a private plane and that he wouldn't have a roommate. Okay, so he's going to say yes to that. A year ago, Trevor, nobody knows who he is, so I think he got low balled, but I can't fault him. I mean, he didn't know where it was going to be as a player, Like he is the kind of guy where you looked and you're like tons of potential red sox are going to work on his swing path. It either works or we never hear from him again. And now all of a sudden, he's in the bigs, playing on a good team and he's getting thrown sixty million dollars. Who doesn't take that?
Speaker 2: Oh? I you know when I was playing, I would have been like hesitant. I had to look and do it.
Speaker 1: But again, the fact that all these guys have a second they have free agency on the table still like in technically in the prime window that still exists twenty eight to thirty two, so when you can maximize your free agency, so they're like, yeah, if I'm better, if I need to make more money, I have an opportunity to make more money later. If I don't, then I got sixty million. Like it's it's it's that's it's that straightforward. And also you know who else was the fifth rounder who wasn't expected to be as good as they are? Mookie Bets so, uh, there's a lot of that. There's a lot of that. Comp They're like, we just don't want to mess this up. Maybe they're getting a little bit of like we don't mess up the Mookie Bets thing again either. Okay, last one really quickly, Jax Merril, how do you feel about that one?
Speaker 3: So I'm gonna tie Campbell and Meryl together because I spoke to a couple of agents behind the scenes. Oh, I mean, terrible job for Meryl and for Campbell. They left so much money on the table. The whole first big contract thing applies here. So I don't know really what to say right again with Jackson, Merril loves the team, wants to win on this team. He said he's gonna give them a little room for spending power. Like, okay, I mean that's a great thing to say. He's a star. He's playing center field. That position actually usually doesn't age well getting deep into your thirties, based on how much of a toll it takes. So I don't fault him for doing this. I don't fault him or his reps for getting this done either, because I think if he's so damn good, they'll keep adding an extension or two on top of what he's doing, right, he just he screams, Padre's player for life. In my mind, Ken Rosenthal bring him up again, said, maybe one to two hundred million dollars left on the table, but you would have had to go deep into the arbitration process and then you know, eventually get yourself to free agencies. So generally, with these it's hard not to look at them as wins for both sides. The only thing with Merrill is I think he doesn't get to free agency until thirty two. If he even gets there. At that point, how many teams are investing major long term dollars in a thirty two year old center fielder. I don't care who you are. Not many, right, I mean that you just have to play the law of averages in the past. But that position just takes a hit suddenly giving him another You know, he's not signing a ten year contract at that point, even if he is a star. Based on how front offices evaluate, so best case scenario, he's four or five years into this thing, he's a stud. They add you know, three to five more years on top of that, and that's his whole career and he ends up making two hundred something million dollars instead of maybe four hundred million dollars. I mean whatever, he could also run into a wall and it could end his career. And now he's got the security. So I mean, you tell me, do you ever look at these and go, oh man, player got robbed. It's his first millions.
Speaker 2: He got robbed.
Speaker 3: Like what are you supposed to do?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I having never been offered anything remotely close to this, even before it was my time to negotiate it.
Speaker 2: You know, I can't say.
Speaker 1: I can't say that I wouldn't be like yep, I will even as a starting pitcher, right. I just feel like one hundred if anything over one hundred million dollars. It's just like you can go from you can go from making over one hundred, or you can go to making like twenty. If it doesn't work out, you're gonna make way less than that. It's not gonna be like close. It's gonna be way less. If you try to go through the system and say your fourth year, some some some break your leg and it never heals right, and then you're you know, you made fifteen million, Like you gotta take on in thirty five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Christian Campbell. That type of thing.
Speaker 1: When it's a less than ten ten in your position player less than ten av that's when you think long and hard about it. But like if you have fifteen, if you get fifteen guaranteed for nine years every year, it just like the difference you get dimission returns after that. And also, like you said, he's gonna hit for agency again, so he has an opportunity to correct if things are drastically different, but they're not. They're not gonna be because he's also not gonna be moving on a center field. I don't hate it. And also when they sign this early, it doesn't affect markets as much as people think it does either, And that's what I always think about. I'm like, are you ruining markets for the future? And these guys are so young that they're kind of in their own category. But so okay, And the last, the last question I have before I let you go, If you had to make a prediction of these four, which one of these do you think is most likely to have both sides benefit?
Speaker 2: Like, which one's gonna work out the best for both sides?
Speaker 3: Ooh, the question. I'll go Meryl. I'll go Meryl on this one because I think that it's in the right price range that like I mentioned, he's going to get the extensions on top of it. And I'm just surprised that teams don't do this more in general, they don't grab a player who, now Merril is a prime example, already give you a star, if not superstar, first season, first week. You know, he looks like the same guy already. Not that I think that really mattered. I'm sure they had been talking about this for a minute, but the maryl one for me because you're catching a center fielder not even entering his prime years, but you're gonna get basically all of the prime years in this deal unless he just falls off the face of the earth. And he's a position player, that to me looks like the biggest win Glad. He's going to go deep into his career where you're going to get to the thirty eight to thirty nine range, and who knows what he'll look like at that point. So the length Crochet is a pitcher, arms are taking time bomb. I'm always going to trust a position player over a pitcher, and we just don't know Campbell enough as a player yet, So I think Merril is the safe bet here. And I'll finish my statement with a question back to you, why don't more teams do this? We see it frequently, but then there's still some teams that pop up where I'm like, what is going on here? Like our offer is being thrown out and we're just missing something. I mean, the Orioles are the prime example. Right now, nobody of that vaunted young position player corps is signed long term. And even if you're gonna blame Gunner on betting on himself and he's a Boris guy, fine, but there's four or five other guys on that roster that could be extension worthy and they have not signed any of them. Adley Rutchman coming off a down year sounds to me like a great time to have a conversation with him, if unless you don't believe in him, and now he looks like two years ago Adley Colton Kasrew I know is hurt right now, but in the offseason that could have been a discussion too. And I could come up with a few others. I mean, even Jackson Holliday, right, throw a ton of money at him. Again. I think he's a bors guy, but I just don't believe that the Oriols throughout all these extension offers to these players, and I'm wondering why you don't try and at least lock up one or two to get some cost control.
Speaker 1: Yeah, especially with the Orioles. I'll be honest, I'm not convinced that the new ownership group is willing to They haven't really shown me anything that they're willing to do more than the previous owner, the Angelo's people family was like, honestly they bought it. Yeah great, but like they had opportunities all kinds of sign free agents and all kinds of stuff. This obviouselyason they're just not doing it. So maybe they're out there, Maybe they're just not taking them. They're getting like shut down by their agents.
Speaker 2: Maybe not.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of teams, though, are are the last I think dominant to fall in the development and projectability of their of their players is having the confidence to then sign them long term. And I think maybe this Crochet thing and this Christian Campbell thing might get a couple of teams thinking about like the teams like the Twins, all right, like go you gotta if roys Leus, say royce Luis was healthy all the time. Let's say he didn't have the injury problems yet, like he would have been a prime candidate to get something like this, but they their offers are like four years twenty right, Like so like that's that's just not gonna happen for a position player anymore. You're not gonna get a Max Kepler deal or or Hiplanco deal anymore.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: But if you can project and you feel comfortable in your development and you're like, we know this guy's gonna be good even though he doesn't have a track record, I think still teams are still really really really wanting to see track record before they make decisions like this. And but I think some more teams, like we saw the Red Sox teams are going to start making more decisions based on their models and how they project these guys because they're confident in those and we just might just be seeing that transition happening. More teams will probably follow, that's my guess. Yeah, all right, but Scott, thank you so much for joining The show Man. You were the first inaugural guest, so you can put that back there with that emmy, I'll get you, I'll get you a plaque. No, yeah, give me something, no extension, but you can get like a three D in a plaque or something.
Speaker 2: We'll do that, or a may Day hat, something like that.
Speaker 1: Hat. Yeah, may Day, may Day out shop anyone who wants to make a hat?
Speaker 2: All right, guys, I accompany then, thanks to Ron joining the show.
Speaker 3: M hm.
Speaker 2: M m m mm hmmmmmmm