Speaker 1: I'm Matt Miller and I'm Hannah Elliott, and this is Hot Pursuit.
Speaker 2: All right, you're just back for Monterey, and I have been watching your Instagram feed with a certain degree of jealousy and sorry interest. No, I mean I got to ask about some of the stuff you were doing there. It looked amazing. And we're also going to talk with Keith Naughton because Ford came out with another bombshell this this week. But yeah, the shares actually were up so counterintuitive. Yeah, well, I mean I think the thing is they've reduced their spending on evs from forty percent of capex to thirty percent. So even though they're going to take a big charge four hundred million dollars and it's going to cost him another one and a half billion to sort of retool everything, investors were pleased. And that's, you know, much better than what happened over earnings or the last time they said they were going to take a big loss. Remember they they said last year they're gonna lose four and a half billion on EV's. This you're going to lose five and a half bill on EV's. So it's just painful, it's painful Luckily they're making money still with the gas trucks, and hopefully they make a lot of money with mustangs too, because you don't want those to go away.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, I don't think they are for me. From a product perspective, it's always very troubling anytime a company delays and then just decides to not make a product they've been gunning for. True, but better, so many resources to it.
Speaker 2: Better not to make it.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, the first the first loss is the best loss.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, as they say. You definitely want to be able to cut your losses. You need to know when to fold them completely, know when to walk away, and know when to run.
Speaker 1: Is that a cash song? No, it's oh yeah, Oh my mom would have known that.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: So first I want to ask, and then I want to get to the auctions as well. So I know what happened. I haven't looked into it, but I did see you were driving the like a pre war my box. Oh yes, your outfit was awesome, thanks, and it looked like super fun. Was it different than driving like a modern car? Did you have to stir around with a bunch of different valves and stuff?
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, so This was a nineteen thirty to my Box Zeppelin, and it's a semi automatic transmission. I apologize because the person who taught me how to drive it. His name was Manfred, and he was a wonderful German Man, but his English was better than my German. But it still was a little confusing, so I'm not sure of that all. I did figure it out in the end and drove it. But the transmission is considered semi automatic, which is pretty incredible to consider that my Box was making automatic transmissions in the thirties. But basically, you use a clutch to go into first gear and to go into reverse. Other than that, you change gears by moving these tiny levers on the steering wheel, and there's some hydraulic vacuum system that shifts gears for you once you're in gears two three four. Interesting basically it I mean it's you're just literally like moving these levers along a little dial to shift, and you just take your foot off the accelerator and the thing shifts for you. It's a vacuum you kind of.
Speaker 2: Like a motorcycle. So a lot of motorcycles now are fitted with autoblip clutches. You can go up and down without using a clutch, but from neutral to first or first to neutral, you still need to usually use it.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, I have to say drive. I have driven a Model T before, so this wasn't really I have driven old, old cars before, but there is something so special about getting into these huge, heavy pre war vehicles that just you know, those guys didn't care about anything. They just live life, and you know, there's such a sense of arrival. I was in the DS eight Zeppelin that my Bock made in like nineteen thirty to nineteen thirty two or so. It's a V twelve. It weighs like six thousand pounds. I mean, it is just nice. Trying to turn the thing was more weightlifting than I've done in the past three years on my arms.
Speaker 2: It was sounds amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was going.
Speaker 2: It sounds like a bear, But I just love the idea of those huge and it was an open top, yeah, you know, rot top, I guess is maybe not the right word for it, but it was. I love those pre war cars and I feel like me too. You're looking at hundreds of thousands of dollars to get into that because there's so few left and it's a millions, very rich.
Speaker 1: People, millions millions of dollars. But here's the funny thing, and maybe this is our segue into auctions. Pre war vehicles are really not doing well at auction. I mean they used to be the top top dollar and people don't care as much.
Speaker 2: About so I didn't see any auction results. But it was a pre war Bugatti that won the Pebble Beach Concord Uns right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it won the Car Show beauty contest for sure. It's a beautiful, unrestored.
Speaker 2: Gorgeous Yes, was it top fifty nine?
Speaker 1: I think yeah, that sounds about right. And let's I mean, Bugatti is such a long, long established old brand with some of the world's most beautiful cars, so that's really wonderful. But of course the top sellers, I think six of the top ten sellers at auction were Ferraris, and so even though blue chip cars did take a real hit this year, Ferraris are still really so doc.
Speaker 2: When we were talking last week, you mentioned that you have a guy that gave you all the data, and you know, ten years ago, nineteen sixty four was the average age that sold it auction. In this last year, it was nineteen seventy one. Yeah, so were there ferraris newer ferraris or were they also the old like super expensive?
Speaker 1: They're the old super expensive things. But then we did see some things jump, like a nineteen ninety five Ferrari F fifty set a world record for f fifty's and really kind of and that car has been painted and repainted. It certainly wasn't a perfect example, but I think that sale shows that vehicles made in the nineties and two thousands are really coming into their own. They're really on the rise. You know, the take where the sell through rate of cars valued at one million dollars or more this year was like fifty percent, which means one out of two of those cars didn't even sell, which is really low. It's really bad. But when you see you know, the sal sales of Lamborghini, Diablos, uh, Guyardos, marcel Legos all doing very well. And let's not forget the whole desire for stick shifts. Those are up, up, up, up up. You know, they're selling for like half a million and over a million dollars. There's really a shift happening. It's just it's kind of cool. I mean, I like those cars too.
Speaker 2: By the way, you wanted to see the Diablo that this new company is kind of like eccentrica retromodic. How was it? Did you see it? It's cool?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I saw it. It was in this really cool plum purple color, like a very deep purple, that kind of black under shade. Super cool. The interior was all white. You know, this is Mauricio Reggiani's project. He's consulting on it, and of course that's the former head of R and D for Lamborghini, so he's a genius. So anything he is working on, I definitely want to see those are I think the price tag on those is about one point three million euros. They won't tell me how many they have sold. I know they were taking orders this week. That was a really big goal for them to try to get some cells going, So don't I don't actually know. It's still pretty early, but I did see it. It's cool. I mean, they've they've improved that. They tell me. I haven't driven it, but you know they've improved obviously, the gearbox, the steering, the brakes, all of the things that made that car feel like a tractor to drive in the original form. They claim they've improved, so we'll see. I'd like to get in it and drive it. I wasn't given that opportunity, unfortunately for me.
Speaker 2: The tractor like quality of the evented door transmission was really one of its one of the beautiful things about it. I loved it. Yeah, all right, let's bring in Keith Norton. He's our Ford reporter in Detroit, and I want to get the Forge story because it's so interesting that they're changing things around, canceling some models, moving some back, but also bringing in a new technology that Jim Farley talked a lot with you and I about last time he was on. Here's Keith Norton. Keith, there was a fascinating story a couple of days ago about Ford again changing its EV strategy. I know you spoke with the CEO and the CFO. What did they have to say for themselves?
Speaker 4: Well, Jim Farley, Ford CEO says he thinks they've got it right this time and this is the new precise plan. What did he call it? He said, it's the exact right plan and that he's very confident that it'll work this time. As you know, Ford got cut up in the hype cycle two three years ago coming out of the pandemic and started building battery factories, built its first new assembly plant in fifty years down in Tennessee. They have built up so much capacity for electric vehicles that is no longer needed. Now they're trying to recalibrate, retrench, find a new way.
Speaker 1: Can I just ask your own personal opinion, how do we know they have it right this time? I mean, are you sensing anything different?
Speaker 4: We don't know that they have it right this time. They're still banking on growth. But the problem is while EV sales are up this year, two things One, the price of evs is down by twenty percent, so it's very very hard to make a buck on evs, which is not a great motivator for developing more evs right, which is why Ford canceled the three to row SUV electric that they're going to make. They're very far down the road with that. It's going to cost them almost two billion dollars to cancel that program.
Speaker 3: Not something they wanted to do. So, you know, the.
Speaker 4: EV business case is not great. Also, a big reason for that, EV demand is still not great. So the first half of the year, EV's accounted for nine point seven percent of the US market. Another way to look at that is more than nine out of ten car sold in America West so far this year have been traditional internal combustion engine vehicles or hybrids, mostly internal combustion engine vehicles. Last year's EV market penetration was the same seven point eight percent. It's below eight percent, and so you know, EV's particularly in the United States, but really globally have seriously slowed down as we've reached mainstream buyers.
Speaker 2: So they're growing still, but they're just not growing as quickly as these companies would like them to. Certainly their investment in evs isn't justified by the growth that they're seeing. And what about hybrids. I mean, you've been reporting Keith a lot about hybrids. I've read stories that you know, buyers are more interested in hybrids at least, and that's a greener, you know, solution at the tailpipe than traditional gas vehicles for the most part. So is FORG going to start building more hybrids? I mean, when Jim Farley was on this podcast with Hannah and myself, he was all up on erevs.
Speaker 4: Right, and absolutely hybrids are hot and everybody is trying to build more of them. Ford is doubling its hybrid capacity for the F one fifty. The F one fifty hybrid is going gangbusters, as is the Mavericks, the Tiny Truck, the compact pickup truck that Ford offers as a hybrid. So hybrids are hot. And then yes, that specific new kind of hybrid, the extended range electric vehicle, the EREV that really isn't for sale in the United States right now. Barley's very hot on it. Stilantis Chrysler parents. Stilantis has an EREV version of its RAM pickup truck coming next year called the RAM Charger that it says will go six hundred and ninety miles on a charge.
Speaker 3: As you guys know, an EREV.
Speaker 4: Ryan runs primarily on electricity, but there is a small internal combustion engine whose only job is to recharge the battery. It doesn't drive the wheels, So you can go very far in an e REV and have very low CO two output.
Speaker 1: So I'm curious, you know, what are the chances that General Motors follow suit?
Speaker 4: Here?
Speaker 1: You know, we see Ford pulling back. Can we expect to see GM now canceling some planned EV launches that they have in the near future?
Speaker 3: You know, Hannah.
Speaker 4: They've already delayed programs. They've delayed the Silverado Electric Silverado several times now, so I think they're already pulling back. I don't know if they'll do it in such a sort of comprehensive fashion as Ford announced this week.
Speaker 3: You know, Ford, as you guys recall, a couple of years ago.
Speaker 4: UH carved off its EV business into its own separate unit that they call Model every.
Speaker 2: Way before we just gloss over that's incredibly clever, right it is.
Speaker 4: The Model T company has a Model E unit. Sadly, the Model E unit is projected by Ford to lose as much as five point five billion dollars this year. That's not really what they planned. So because they have this you know, stronger spotlight on this separate unit, you know, it's kind of incumbent on them to explain how they're going to eventually make money in that unit. They still won't say when modeling will be profitable, but they now say when they launch a new EV, it must be profitable within its first year, otherwise they won't approve the program. That's why they killed the electric suv. They have a new mid size electric pickup truck coming in twenty twenty seven. That is going to be profitable, they say in its first year. It comes out of this what they call Skunkworks project in California that's developing a new low cost DV platform that they say will offer a number of models, you know, from twenty five thousand dollars up.
Speaker 2: What is the skunk Works? I heard that too. I was on the phone with Barbosa the other night and he mentioned it. I thought skunk Works was like, you know, a secret room in the building where you have the smartest nerds developing like a super fast race car. Right. Isn't skunk works traditionally where you develop like the special version of a car. What are they doing there in California?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it's separated out in Irvine, California. Alan Clark, who had been Tesla's chief engineer on the model, why leads to the program. It's only one hundred people, which is very small for a car program, and they're really approaching it very differently. It's been going for about two two and a half years. It was going in secret for a long time, but then as Ford needed to talk about something positive, they revealed that this was convenient in the works. Yeah, and so it really operates differently. It's cross functional, small, dedicated, focused team. So that's why they call it a skunkworks, Matt. They feel like it's in the tradition of the you know, kind of garage built, you know, invented product.
Speaker 1: The other thing I'm wondering about, Keith, is, you know, how much of a hit is this for Ford. Can they just kind of you know, absorb the losses and keep moving forward or is this really a significant setback that will affect them for years to come.
Speaker 2: Well, remember how crushed their stock got on earnings last time, right, I think they were literally decimated in terms of market cap, being reduced by more than a.
Speaker 4: Tenth, Right, So they cannot lose five billion plus on their EV and for years to come, So they really need to turn that around. Also, getting a profitable EV business is essential to surviving and thriving into the future. It's not like this EV slowdown means that evs are dead or that evs aren't going to happen.
Speaker 3: They are going to happen.
Speaker 4: You just need to find a business case to do them profitably. And right now, what it appears and what Ford is pursuing is, you know, mainstream consumers need a bridge to evs. They're not going to go EV cold Turkey. So if you can give them an e REV or even just a traditional hybrid or a plug in hybrid that you know, gets them a little electrified or in the case of an e REV, a lot electrified, then they realize they can do this. You know, if you use an e REV, for example, you're going to drive around on electric power ninety five percent of the time, and you're going to come to realize, you know what, I don't need this internal combustion engine backup. I can go all battery. Maybe it takes you a generation or even two of driving a vehicle like that, but it gets you there and right. And so just flipping a switch and going from ice internal combustion engine to fully battery electric vehicle, that's asking a lot of mainstream consumers, particularly when the EDS come at a very high cost premium.
Speaker 2: So let's talk for a second about the models that they either canceled or delayed, starting with the three row SUV. Was that going to be just like an expedition, like an electric expedition or did we have a name for that? Have you seen what it was going to look.
Speaker 4: Like they didn't give a name or really let us see it. But the implication and what the buzz you heard in the industry was it was met really more like an explorer, which you know is three rows as well, so not quite the size of an expedition, which is the Ford version of the Lincoln Navigator. I don't know which one of those is more famous, maybe the Navigator. That's a really big vehicle. And as you guys know, the bigger the vehicle, the bigger the battery you need to run it, and is the most costly component of an electric vehicle. That's why big SUVs electrified doesn't pencil right now. Battery technology has not reached a point where you can make a profit on a really huge battery, not to mention that it adds a lot of weight to the vehicle, which is you know, never a positive for drive handling, environmental friendliness, any of those things.
Speaker 2: And then the truck. Yeah, wa, way did you see you saw the new Lincoln Navigator at Yeah, I think it's beautiful.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Cool.
Speaker 4: And you'll notice that Ford is still not offering a hybrid version of the Lincoln Navigator, and they're not offering an electric version of Link Navigator. For the reasons we're discussing.
Speaker 2: Is there at least in the Navigator or do they still make you the usually Ford's thing is they, with the exception of the Mustang right, they drop the V eight and they try and convince themselves and can consumers that we can do okay with a three and a half leter Eco Boost V six.
Speaker 3: But it's just which has been.
Speaker 4: Which has been wildly successful, Matt in the F one fifty they sell more sixes than eight's in the F one fifty.
Speaker 2: Well, because they don't really offer you much of a choice. You can't get the six point two that you could in the first generation Raptor. You have to get either the three and a half leter V six, which, to be honest, it's not a great experience driving in my personal opinion. It's just you don't have the fullness, you don't have the warmth of a V eight. You can feel that it's a kind of a wimpy little V six. And the only way you can step up if is you want to spend one hundred and ten thousand dollars and get the Raptor R. But I'm going on a rant here.
Speaker 3: The new warmth warmth A warmth is a good word for it, Matt, as in global warming.
Speaker 4: So perhaps they don't offer big V eights because the EPA frowns on them, right.
Speaker 1: I mean minor detail.
Speaker 2: I mean to save one mile a gallon.
Speaker 3: So let's remember the environment. Let's not forget the environment, all right, So.
Speaker 2: Let's let's so the environment's going to love I'm sure the uh, the new F one fifty is it going to be the ones built in Tennessee. They're not going to come out until twenty twenty seven, But is this going to be a total departure from the from the current F one fifty.
Speaker 4: The current F one fifty lightning? Do you mean the current electric version?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, because the I.
Speaker 2: Mean just in general from the you know, the body, the functionality, the capability. Because they're talking about this new truck that'll be built in Tennessee as a completely different vehicle, right.
Speaker 4: Right, And it is ground up, brand new, purpose built electric vehicle. It will have lots of very it'll be a connected, software driven vehicle. Farley has said, you'll be able to drive. I don't know if drives the right word be behind the steering wheel and up without your hands on the without operate without your hands on the wheel or even looking out the windshield. You can take eyes off the road and do your email, have a zoom whatever while you're in this next gen electric F one fifty. So it's going to be very advanced, but again, big vehicle, big battery. So one of the big reasons they've pushed it back is they need new battery technology to develop that's cheaper. They have this LFP battery plant coming online in Michigan that uses the the battery chemistry that is significantly lower cost. That could end up in the F one fifty. It probably will, And they have other battery chemistries coming that are lower costs. That's one of the reasons they pushed it back. They're trying to make a business case out of the thing. It's going to fall under the same new rule that it must be profitable within the first year on the market, and the current F one fifty Lightning is not profitable, and the current Machi is not profitable.
Speaker 2: If you log onto your Bloomberg key, you'll see I just put in an ib chat a great chart that shows Ford margins versus GM margins and Tesla margins. I was surprised to see GM margins are so fat. You know, they're right up there with Tesla at nineteen percent and for these are operating margins. Obviously, Ford is down below ten. So they really need to fight their way back up to the other two American carmakers.
Speaker 4: They sure do. And you know GM is saying their evs will be profitable by the end of this year. I can't give you the math on that, because I don't think they've provided the math on that, but that is what they're saying. So you know, Ford is losing its shirt on electric vehicles right now.
Speaker 3: You know, our.
Speaker 4: Bloomberg intelligence says they're for the first half of the year they lost more than sixty eight thousand dollars on every ED they sold.
Speaker 2: Good to get the intel. Good intel, Yeah, good int, and great story, great reporting. I'm glad you could join us, Keith, and I look forward to continuing to read your byeline every day.
Speaker 1: So thanks so much, Thank you Keith, Thanks Matt, great talk.
Speaker 4: Thanks Sanna.
Speaker 2: If you have any questions for us, suggestions or criticisms or compliments, you can email us at.
Speaker 1: Hot Pursuit at Bloomberg dot net. I had to think about it for a second. Hot Pursuit at Bloomberg dot net. And we do read and respond to your emails. We love to hear from you.
Speaker 2: Yes, we do Hot Pursuit at Bloomberg dot net. What are you doing? What have you got for this this week coming up?
Speaker 1: You know what? This weekend, I hope to do a lot of nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing. Yeah, I mean, it's just like the past two weeks have gone by in a snap, so I'm hoping to really veg out.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm going to Spain, but I'll call you from there.
Speaker 1: Oh, you got to pick the girls up.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'll be in Valentia next time I speak. What a guy I'm looking forward to. That's all we got for this week. Will be back, same time, same place next week. I'm Matt Miller and
Speaker 1: I'm Hannah Elliott, and this is Bloomberg