Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football clubs.
Speaker 2: Let's go.
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 5: Are you ready for a break? Absolutely?
Speaker 3: Ready for a break?
Speaker 6: Yeah, and so much for that.
Speaker 7: It's time for the Break. On Dallas Cowboys dot Com. Were with mbar Garcia. Brian brought us Patrick Walker and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 8: Welcome back to another episode of the Break. That's kind of how No, I do not have the number, but uh, Patrick, go ahead and turn around. Let's let's start this conversation. We got Patrick, Brian and then me and we're gonna get this show rolling. We're gonna get into the whole scouting report offense Philadelphia Eagles offense versus the Cowboys defense. In the meantime, we're gonna start with a quick scouting no injury report on where we're at with injuries compared to what we had. Not much changing from yesterday.
Speaker 2: But the good news is you're only looking at two individuals as opposed to the laundry list that was, you know, prior to the bye week. But obviously Tyron Smith had the next thinger pop up last week and he was sidelined against the Los Angeles Rams. He's not expected to practice on today Wednesday. Per Mike McCarthy, he will be in the rehab group, so injury report should read d MP for him, which is did not participate Chummidoga. Some positive news there, obviously. He left the game against the Rams late with what's described as a low ankle injury, which is much much better than a high ankle injury. Evidence to that being, he will be He's expected to be limited today in practice. Tuma is which gives him a shot at taking the field on Sunday against the Philadelphia Eagles. On yesterday, owner A general manager Jerry Jones told one oh five to three the Fan that it's quite likely, quite possible. I should say that both will take the field on Sunday, but he did say at least one of them likely would. So we'll see how the week goes. Obviously, you know, today, no Tyron Smith in practice. We'll see what it looks like on Thursday, and.
Speaker 8: Then if neither we saw.
Speaker 2: Neither, then it's going to be rookie fifth round pick Austin Richards.
Speaker 5: That's who came in for.
Speaker 2: You gotta taste, we gotta taste that last week when the doga exided and Richards, I mean, he can play some solid ball. I see a lot of potential for him, high ceiling guy, but this would definitely be you talk about throwing a guy in to the fire, this would be it. So if for whatever reason, and again the Cowboys are optimistic that one or both Idoga and or Tyron Smith will take the field, but if things go left and that's not the case, then yes, Richards would absolutely be thrown into the fire against argument the best defensive front in the NFL.
Speaker 8: All right, now, let's talk some trade trades that happened, trades that didn't happen. Cowboys, we know they should not make any news on headlines yesterday, but other teams did that, and we spent a whole chunk of yesterday's show talking about other teams who scared us what we thought and we did see the forty nine ers added extra talent to their defense. They made a trade with the Commanders to trade for Chase Young only for a third round pick, which was a pretty good deal, I would say. And then we had some other trades happening, but we wanted to get Bryan Lessar with you with just your your initial reaction to the trades that were happening yesterday.
Speaker 3: Forty nine Ers made a trade last year for Christian McCaffrey with the Carolina Panthers. It's often injured he had. If you look at his Carolina career, there was some absolute brilliance to it, but there was a lot of heartbreak along the way when it came to his availability and lack of The forty nine Ers made another trade this year, same situation, Chase Young. You look at him and where he was placed in a lot of scouts minds. You know, where it got of Ohio State. What you thought about him as a player, what you thought about him as a disruptive player, an edge rusher, a guy that they can put a lot of pressure on the quarterback, can play the run, but often injured. You know, there was some people in the commander's camp that were like, this guy's availability is very limited to what we're trying to do right now. And here the forty nine Ers they swoop in again. I think they've made two trades back to back that could absolutely help their football team. We've seen what Christian McCaffrey can do. Chase Young, He's played with Nick Bosett, Ohio State. They were a formidable pair there. It was a very much of a you know, a third round pick is something you could always recoup, it's something you can get. They're going to get that back up, I believe for Gin. Yeah, for McGlinchey. But they've also had some coaches that left staff. Now with the NFL the way it is, they give you compensatory picks if you have coaches, minority coaches, or coaches that leave and go somewhere else, And they lost a couple of coaches, so they're going to get that pick back. You know, it's it's a very very good deal for them to continue. The one thing the forty nine ers do when they get in trouble, they will add defensive linemen. You know, they're they're right now in a bad spot of the number of games they've lost, But to add Chase Young for a third round pick, to go along with Randy Gregory and to go around with the other defensive players that they have, you know, they're loading up with the possibility of not giving you the ability to throw the ball when you see them again the next time you get to meet them.
Speaker 2: I think it's a good deal for the forty nine ers and obviously well put when it comes to CMC my thing there is obviously that could be lightning in a bottle and you just never know. But kudos to them for what happened with McCaffrey. That's just been magnificent for them, and it's possible that, you know, Chase Young could be the same. But when you look at the risk reward, I mean, what did they risk? They risk the third round pick there they're going to get back anyway in the compensatory formula, So I mean that this is basically a freebie for them. So if Chase Young cannot stay healthy in San Francisco, then okay, you know, they let them walk in free agency next year and they get their third round pickback. But if he turns out to be an impact player and he comes anywhere near the potential of what he was at Ohio State, then they're that much more destructive as a defensive front. So yeah, that's definitely a fantastic trade for them, and whether it works out or not, because again, if it doesn't work, they did it didn't cost him anything. Ultimately, if it does work, then there needle points that much more do North in the situation where they're on a three game slide and they're really trying to do whatever they can to stop that. This, you know, theoretically helps them stop that.
Speaker 8: So yeah, it's like someone feasting on food, like like like you already have your playful, you don't need to keep stacking on it, like leave it for some other people. I mean, everybody their chance to make whatever.
Speaker 3: That's you know, that's the question. I think the bigger question is that the Bears overpay for Sweat Montell. Sweat ends up in Chicago for a second round pick, and that pick's going to end up to be likely that maybe the first or second pick of the second round, which will be like picks thirty three, thirty four, it depending on where the Bears finished. So the Commander's pretty much cleaned up on that one. They've got probably they got to pick, you know, from the Bears for a player that they weren't going to re sign. But you know, so sometimes you overpay. I don't quite I understand the forty nine ers doing what they did. I don't understand the Bears doing what they did in their trade.
Speaker 2: I do think the Bears overpaid. I agree with you there yea, and we'll see.
Speaker 3: To me, Young, I think Young is more of a second round than a third round. But I think I think he's probably a better player than sweat me personally, you know, I just I don't know. I mean to me, it's it's one of those moves that the there's moves that were made. I didn't believe this, and I've said this too. Ezra Cleveland got the guard from the Minnesota Vikings, got traded to Jacksonville. And I've come on this program before and been adamant about how hard it is to get starting offensive lineman on a trade that that proved my point wrong right there. I mean, that is a starting caliber young offensive lineman that goes from one team to another. Now you have to do that when you have surplus. You know. Obviously the Vikings felt like that the Dalton Reisner is they added him, and they felt like that Dalton Reisner would probably be a better player. But there you go, a starting caliber offensive lineman goes from one team to another. And I've always believed that it was hard to get somebody to give you one of those one of those offensive line to find. They're hard to find and not everybody's willing to part but Minnesota. And here's Minnesota in an interesting situation because they go out and trade for Josh Dobbs, who we all know good and well from his days when he played at Arizona against the Cowboys. So here you are, they're going out. You know, here's a team that's right now four and four. They're thinking, like, we've won three straight, we're back in the hunt. You know, we don't have a quarterback, but we have to. We gotten quarterback, but we give up one of our starting offensive linemen. Boy, that's that's kind of an interesting, interesting dynamic. But let it be said now that people will be willing to give up starting caliber offensive lineman if you're willing to pay for him.
Speaker 2: And then you're talking about NFC East teams that acquired a second round pick for it, traight, I mean Leonard Williams Giants, So you know Giants and lend Williams over to the Seahawks, and the Cowboys will face him in week thirteen, the week after Thanksgiving, so you'll see him on a very good Seattle Seahawks team, like we talked about yesterday. But and we'll ultimately see what the Giants and Commanders do or not or don't do with those picks, because it's not like they've drafted well. But if we're focusing on the right now, I mean, two NFC East teams got weaker this week, and that's got to make the Cowboys feel that much more, that much better about their possibilities of taking this division. Of course, they have to go into Philadelphia and take care of business, that's job number one. But you're going against a Commander's front that was is arguably or inarguably one of the best in the league. Was the NFC East has defensive horses up front, like period, all four teams, but the Commanders have always given the Cowboys hell with this setup of a defense. But now you got two guys that are gone Montes Sweat and Sweat was he seemed to always find ways to wreck the games against the Cowboys. So that's not a situation you got to deal with. And you haven't even played them yet. So you got two games against the Commanders, you got another game against a weekend Giants defensive front who's coming to AT and T Stadium in a couple of weeks or so.
Speaker 8: So I mean, like, well, it ain't gonna happen this year. Might as well get a trap.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, they're driving the tank right now.
Speaker 3: I think Commanders are going to completely do what the Raiders just did. You know, we saw the Raiders move on from their head coach and move on from their general manager. You have new ownership there at the Commanders. I think this is one of those things that like, let's try and stock up some picks. Let's try and get a many with the Commanders. Gives me top one hundred picks, the possibility. You know, they're probably still going to be looking for a quarterback. They might finish poor enough that they, you know, have the opportunity to getting them that quarterback derby, but then they'll have some other picks to try and add some I always felt like that they were a quarterback away, but Ron Rivera does some crazy things like that that they've had Philadelphia on the ropes twice this year and couldn't finish the job either time. And so you know, you look at ownership and they say, well, you know what, we're probably going to bring our own guy in and here we go. And this is the start of it. But I mentioned what's going on with the Raiders. You know, they fired the general manager and the coach and the offensive coordinator you know here like halfway through the season.
Speaker 5: So while we were all sleeping.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that we're going to I think that we're going to think we're going to see more changes like that at the end of the season. There.
Speaker 8: Well, that's that's it really for any trade hopes that fans may have had. It did not happen. And the Cowboys and we've heard it. We talked about it on the show. How Jerry Jones and everybody here fully trust the talent that they currently have on the roster right now. And we mentioned it yesterday too. How after the win that you had against the Rams, coming off something like that, a performance where all three phases of the game played really, really well, it's hard to kind of.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my only fear is if something happens to one of these corners.
Speaker 5: I was literally just about that.
Speaker 2: That's my only thing is I would have done made a move for a cornerback depth and without saying the player's name, because we can't. There's a guy in the Windy City. I think the Cowboys might have been in on, but it sounds like just and have conversations that the price tag that that team had set for that player, no team was willing to go in for. So it's not that's not a situation where the Cowboys were alone and kind of tightened the person.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well not just that.
Speaker 2: I mean several other teams made a call for that particular player and that price tag was just like, no, we were just not doing it.
Speaker 3: That's why, well Rare schul Douglas went from Green Bay to Buffalo.
Speaker 5: So that you know you wasn't that a second rounder?
Speaker 3: That was a third I believe it was that. That was I think. I'm sorry, Please don't come at me if I'm wrong about that. I thought it was a third round pick that they gave up there. But to me, it was a premium pick. It was, Yeah, but it was a premium pick, is right. But to me though that that's the thing about it. And we talked about this yesterday and I just do believe it with my heart is that Will McClay goes to the coaching staff and he says, hey, how can I help you? And the coaches say, I don't We're good, We're good. I don't want to change. I don't want to I don't want to do anything different. I'm happy with my guys, and you know, so there's a lot about that we can kind of jump on the front office for the lack of movement, and of the teams that are in the playoff hunt right now, the Cowboys were the only team in the NFC that didn't make a move. Everybody else Detroit, Philadelphia. I mean, all these teams made moves to try and at least add a player. But like I say, sometimes coaches just say I don't want any No, let's not bring anybody else in. We're gonna we're gonna play with these guys. And you know, we don't know that. I've been on STAPs where that has happened, where the coaches just say, no, I just don't don't do it, don't do it. We're good and you you you don't want to ever bring somebody in for a coach, and then they don't want the player and don't want to play the player, and then it turns into a bunch of butting us of heads and and ultimately it kind of fractures the group and the trust.
Speaker 2: Was smell of tuna in that conversation. That smells like tuna no, it's.
Speaker 3: Uh, you know we No, No, Bill was. Bill was always interested in adding players. But he also though you almost like I said, I I I believe I got fired here because I ought too hard for for Charles Woodson, you know, and I basically I took it personal and I shouldn't have taken it personally. I was too young in the department, and I knew that Charles Woodson we were a bad team, and I'm trying to help. I'm trying to get players here. We don't have any players. And uh, and ultimately that that's what, you know, what got me fired with Bill. I mean that Bill and I go way, way way back to when he was in New England and I was in Green Bay and we had a great relationship, and then he came here. I'm so glad he came here. I really was. After being five and eleven three straight years, I'm thinking, thank God, we're gonna we're gonna kind of get these things turned around. Yeah, we're gonna turn this thing around. We're gonna be okay. And then and then ultimately, when you start to battle the head coach on players, the head coach journally will win. I was I was too stupid to realize that I was fighting something bigger than what I was fighting. And that's that Ultimately, you gotta be careful of that. You know, when you you don't want to push for something, that that the person send in charge is ultimately saying no, I don't want to you know, I don't want to do this, So always be careful of that.
Speaker 2: And the Cowboys, like you said, number, their roster is sit and this is what they got until March as far as trades are concerned. So yeah, yeah, I mean at the end of the day though, they're still five and two, so that's that there's promise there. They just played their first mostly complete game, and I mean even still, that could have been a slightly cleaner game, which should give some more optimism as far as what this team can actually be.
Speaker 5: But again, it starts.
Speaker 2: Because they failed the They failed the first test at it. Here comes the midterm. They have to pass this midterm.
Speaker 8: Wa big and hard midterm coming up. So let's take our first break. When we come back, we're gonna get into the whole breakdown of the Philadelphia Eagles offense.
Speaker 9: After this break, Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheat of Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repelling he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At.
Speaker 5: And T five G.
Speaker 9: Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 10: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com Slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 11: Cowboys fans, after that move, we've just coined the term rowdy replay.
Speaker 3: Let's roll back the tapes.
Speaker 2: Okay, there's our mascot Rowdy cheering on the boys.
Speaker 5: And now he's on his phone on his Bank of America Mobile banking.
Speaker 11: App, staying on top of his finances with his virtual financial Assistant Erica.
Speaker 2: Bank of America's digital tools are so impressive. Cowboys fans just can't stop banking. Learn more at Bank of America dot com. Slash Can't Stop Banking.
Speaker 3: Erika is only available in the English language.
Speaker 11: You must download the latest version of the mobile banking app, only available on select mobile devices. Message in doat rates MA apply a number FDIC.
Speaker 4: Welcome back into Dear Doctor, the show where I answer life's questions with an ice cold can of doctor pay Sheila, let's hear from my next caller.
Speaker 8: Would you, Dear Doctor?
Speaker 10: My friend supported me during a tough time.
Speaker 9: But what's the right gift that says thanks for being.
Speaker 7: A soldier to cry on?
Speaker 4: Okay, this one's easy, I say, give her a delicious Doctor Pepper. Nothing says thanks good better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any Doctor Pepper flavor will do.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 4: Just a reminder that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that Doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 6: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cator utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official Agonturf, equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 3: Back to the Break. Tis the season for youth football and dance camps presented by Visa Ligne. Don't miss out your chance to learn from the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders and former NFL players at at and T Stadium on December twenty second and twenty third. Celebrate the holidays with the Cowboys Registered Day at Dallascowboys dot Com slash camps that starts. We're doing this stuff on November first. Today's November first, right, yeah, right, let's go.
Speaker 8: November is here.
Speaker 3: Go hang out with some of these camps. There's a lot of fun.
Speaker 8: Welcome back. This is the second segment of The Break, presented by Blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 3: Dang, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 8: Okay, before we get into the Scotty Report, let's just mention real quick, Brandon Aubrey. He was It was just announced that he won NFC Player of the Week Special Teams Player of the Week. Congratulations once again, will deserve butter shutting people up in this podcast, but no, great job. He's done, an amazing job.
Speaker 5: We're huge fans of butter now, we're huge fans.
Speaker 3: We love him, we love it all right, training camp and kind of like that overly buttered popcorn you get in a movie.
Speaker 5: Yeah, a little too much.
Speaker 8: But then but then, but then you keep wanting.
Speaker 3: More but buttered popcorn.
Speaker 8: You start looking at your fingers like.
Speaker 2: Nice, Butterney. We're just grocery shopping this, Yeah, Cowboys.
Speaker 8: All right. I don't want to hear any of this that Brian is about to say, but let's hear. We got to uh Jalen Hurst. Let's start with the quarterback of the Eagles and how he's looking right now and some of the things that he's currently doing this season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know if he's completely healthy right now, to be honest with you, guys, when you watch him on tape, the word is that he might be dealing with a bone bruise on his knee, and so we need to kind of keep an eye on that. But he's still still playing at a high level. Though the interceptions are a problem for him. He's taken some chances on some deep balls that have been a little bit of problematic for him, but the strength of his game is to be able to play on the move. We all kind of understand that with him, but he just doesn't appear in the games that I studied that he was really interested in running unless he absolutely has to, and so might be a little bit of a different quarterback there with the Cowboys. When you see him this week, the thing that you have to do against Jalen Hurts, absolutely have to do this against him, is you have to make him hold the ball. He has a different quarterback when he has to deal with pressure, his accuracy tends to fade and then the turnovers creep into his game. Five of his eight interceptions are those when he's had to deal with pressure. So the longer you can make Jalen Hurts hold the ball, move move, move, back up, back up, move, the likelihood he's either going to throw it away or you can possibly get an interception. Maybe that he'll force the ball on you a little bit. He is teams they've kind of played him in a way where they when you watch the tape, it's more of man coverage. I was surprised how much man coverage that he faces. There's especially with that receiving crew that he has. But they play teams play a lot of man coverage, and he's only really a sixty four percent passer when he faces all this man coverage. So maybe people are looking at the metrics, but you could definitely see it on tape that they're trying to kind of cover his guys, uh and then make him have to make some of those throws. Where they kill you is in a couple of different areas well.
Speaker 8: For you were gonna keep telling you about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was just gonna say real quick, one of the two areas that he that he kills you is the deep ball is a problem, and then also the screens. That's when when he's when he's throwing the ball down the field deep balls, he's almost a fifty percent passer, and the majority of his touchdowns had been throwing throwing like the go routes to the guys. They got receivers that have the ability to get down the field and can separate, and Hurts will just launch that thing. And he's taken twenty three deep shots this year. He's got six touchdowns, and every one of them are just he's kind where they just blow past, they get they get separation at the line, or they'll they'll be like they'll be like zone coverage and then they'll just run pie by the cornerbacks and then he'll just launch the ball.
Speaker 8: And sometimes those screens can be pretty successful.
Speaker 3: Like the screens, Yeah, he is. He is. When he throws the ball in the flat, this is where the touch and the accuracy, and like they do a lot of wide receiver screens, they to screens the tight end, they do screens to the back. So he's kind of throwing the ball around the line of scrimmage. But it's kind of like it. It kind of lulls you into some sleep where you're like, okay, short, short, short, and then all of a sudden it goes over the top and now you're dealing with that. So I think that the passes he throws, those screen type passes or the underneath passes, those are the ones that start out small and then they end up being huge with run after catch with these guys, they are really really good at that. But he doesn't miss those passes on the flats or underneath or anything down the field. In the middle of the field is when he tends to have a little bit of problem. But you got to get pressure on this guy. Every quarterback, you have to get pressure, but it really affects him. The longer he has to hold the ball, he kind of loses track where he is and he loses track of where everything is down the field. So coverage on the outside pressure somehow makes him become a different quarter.
Speaker 2: You know what's very interesting about Jalen Hurts, in addition to everything that Brian is saying, is that he's much more comfortable throwing to the left of the line of scrimmage if you go back, and this is obviously the next gen stance, which is just phenomenal. Of his eight interceptions that he's thrown, six of them have been to the right of the line of scrimmage. He's thrown six interceptions when forced to throw to that right, but he has six touchdowns six of his touchdowns when forced to throw to the left, with no interceptions in that area. And I'm talking deep, shallow, and in the flat. So his if you're looking for a weakness in his game, and additional weakness of his game force him to stay right as far as his progressions. Once he comes across back left, that's when you're really going to get in trouble. So that is very interesting something to keep an eye out on for the Cowboys. Maybe they can bring that pressure and keep him turned this way, right, because then that's a liability for him.
Speaker 3: When they been teams. You used to be with Russell Wilson with this, heahawks because how short he was. You make him play backwards, you know, and when Russell Wilson would play backwards, he can't throw the ball over the top because he can't see well. With hurts. When you see him start to drift and he goes back and he drifts and he just keeps drifting and that usually that usually spells problems for him. It's when he and I don't think he wants to run now now, maybe I'm gonna be dead balls wrong about this. When it comes up. He does not look like the same and maybe he's play a possum on us right now, kind of acting like he's hurt, but he's not. But you watch the tape, he's not really interested in running with the ball. He just that's not his you know, especially like you look at the Commanders game this past week, it just wasn't that that wasn't the case.
Speaker 8: Is he the type of player when that when you get enough pressure on him, does that begin to wear as the game goes on as far as like how focus his stays in the game, or does that messes up his confidence?
Speaker 3: I think he's always been a confident player. And I understand what you're saying, Like, if you keep hitting him, hitting him, hitting him, is he going to make more mistakes and stuff?
Speaker 8: Well, knowing that he's already hurt, right, he's dealing with.
Speaker 3: That right right. His offensive line helps him so much and a lot of this stuff. I mean, I if his confidence is going to go away, it's because his offensive line has completely falling apart, and they normally don't do that.
Speaker 8: All right, let's take our final break. When we come back, we'll get right into the offensive line and some of those guys what they have against this Cowboys defensive line.
Speaker 9: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five g. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do, stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and t five G Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 10: Five G requires compatible plan and device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 12: Don't put off getting your oil change. Dallas. Take five Oil Change, a proud partner of the Cowboys, is faster than you think. There's no appointment needed and no waiting room. Yep, you hurt that correctly. Take five is so fast you don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of Take five's fast, friendly and simple service at any of their locations across the Dallas area. And remember, at Take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 11: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's fan and a full sized intense therapy whipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 6: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, gator utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official Agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Agonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 5: Back to the Break.
Speaker 3: Experience the most electrifying event on the holiday season, Cowboys Christmas Extravaganza, powered by a reliant every Friday and Saturday night from November seventeenth through December sixteenth. Boys Christmas Extravaganza ignites the star in Frisco with an unforgettable holiday performance, showcasing sixty five performers, including the world renowned Dallas Cowboys cheerleader Santa Claus and appearances from your favorite Dallas Cowboys football heroes. This is the Star District dot Com for more info. You're going out and seeing them with the Christmas pig out there.
Speaker 8: It's a very very nice show. I haven't done that because he was too little, but maybe this time around, a very very nice fun show for the family and everyone to cool. Yeah, really cool. All right, let's dive right into this O line. We're running out of time, I feel, with so much information that's still left to be discussed. So tell me a very very impressive line that they have.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is very impressive. Impressive. The way they play, I think with the Jordan may Alatta and Lane Johnson at tackles, I think that really is the anchor where they're at.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 3: They don't give these guys a lot of help. They block one on one. Lane Johnson's the better of the app athlete. My Loota is the bigger of the guy. You don't want to just run right in down the middle of my Alotta. He will cause all kinds of problems for you that way, with his strength and his power. You've got to try and work the edges and you can't both these guys do a great job almost the point of cheating the snap, and when I mean cheating the snap the way they kick away. They have incredible vision to the inside to be able to see when when Kelsey snaps the ball and they're moving actually as the ball is being moved as well. Sometimes they might be a little early and officials give him and they line up a little deeper at times to try and help themselves, but they get away with it. But these tackles are really really good. I like DeMarcus Lawrence though against Lane Johnson on this one though, I think there's been times where he has been really good against him because he understands how to break Lane Johnson down, like with his hands with it the way he rushes him that you know, Lane Johnson at times has had problems getting his hands on him. He's been able to dip him a couple of times, so that's a that's a tough matchup for Johnson. DeMarcus really really has a good feel for how to play them. If you if I think inside where the Eagles might have a little bit of a weakness is h Suya of PETSA as, and I think a Petsa is the is the He's right now he's playing in the lineup because of Cam jurgens As being out at guard. And but you see with the Petsa, he's one of those guys that win. He gets a little tall and then all of a sudden, like teams will run into him and get under him and you can carry him back in the pocket. Now, the problem with the Eagles is they play like ninety eight percent of the time, they're going to be in shotgun. So if you're going to drive him to the quarterback, it's probably going to be a shotgun depth. It's not going to be like take the snap and then drop and then make that push. But this is a team that does a good job with their pin and poll stuff that we the Cowboys have trouble with. They can zone block it, they can morph into whatever they're going to do running the football. They just they get in that sidecar, look they hand the ball, or they get pistol behind and they hand the ball. And but this line will they got some bully mentality to them, and the way they come off the football, they'll get into you. They'll push if you try and get up the field. They'll just kind of take you wherever you want to go. They're not really trying to just totally hammer you, but they'll but they get into you, kind of knock you around a little bit, and if you want to go up the field, they'll just wheel you up the field and then their backs will make the cuts from that. So yeah, I feel like though that's it's it's one of those lines that that is really good with their athletic ability, they got the size. Jason Kelsey, he's nearing the end of a really outstanding career at center. What he lacks in power, he makes up with this old fashioned smarts. He's been a really good foot athlete throughout his career. He's a position blocker. He can reach, scoop, grab you, turn you. He's perfect for what they do with their pin and pull stuff. He's not gonna over. I would take advantage of him by putting somebody on his nose and making him have to take that guy one on one. And he's a little bit of a different center when he's when he has a bubble over him, when there's no when there's nobody over the top of him, I would make him have to snap, play the power game and try and do those kinds of things, because you can kind of make him get pushed back a little bit because of the lack of power. But this is a this is a pretty damn good offensive line from the five guys across that they've got.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, and it's it's a strength against strength when you look at the strength of the offensive line in Philadelphia versus the strength of the Cowboys defensive line, and that's across the board, and particularly we keep talking about a guy like Osa and Cowboys are going to need him to step up again and as he's continued to do and I'm confident that he can do it in Philadelphia. But what will help the Philadelphia Eagles, and hopefully this is not going to be allowed by the Cowboys and or Jalen hurts his knee, because I do think that they're understand what's going on there is as long as Jalen Hurts is forced to play inside the pocket, then the Cowboys defensive line has that much better of a chance of winning those one on one matchups up front. It's when Jalen hurts, it provides the threat of you know, stretching the line and getting off those edges. That's when you kind of have to try to worry if you got to play the lateral game, you got to play east and west in addition to North South. If you can just get these guys, the Cowboys defensive line on me playing North South, they have a much better chance of doing things like pushing back Kelsey and getting the best of some of those other guys like Maya Lotta who's I mean, the strength that guy's are forced. So just don't don't let Jalen Hurts in that running game. And I'm talking about the backs as well. DeAndre Swift obviously, who is much better on the outside in space, then he would be doing the dirty work in those interior gaps. Keep those guys running up the middle and keep Jalen Hurts contained, and you can win those battles more often than not. You're not going to win every single battle against this Eagles offensive line, but if you do those two things and just make them play North South, then you have a much better chance of winning more often than not.
Speaker 3: He had to Patrick's point though, and then we were talking about the quarterback. Seventy six percent of those metrics will tall you seventy six percent of the time the snaps the snaps quarterback is going to throw from the pocket, So there obviously is something going on with his health that he is you know, he's more committed to throwing the ball in the middle of the pocket than he is throwing it on the outside.
Speaker 8: Well, let's talk about some of the weapons that he has in the passing games.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is. We all understand. If you're you're fantasy football player or whatever you know, you understand you who Aj Brown is. He's one of the best deep threats in the NFL today. He's a big body guy and once he gets that big body going, he could be tough to stop. I mean, he does an outstand a job. He tracks the ball really well. You know, the Hurts does a great job of putting the ball right on him in stride. And you tend to have opportunities, a lot of opportunities because teams don't always play these guys, Like I said, when they play him in man coverage, it's a little bit of a different game for them. But when they play off, these guys can just eat you up. Much like what the Cowboys do. You give them free access and routes, they run their routes, they catch the ball, and then they're up the field. So I would try and disrupt him as much as I could at the line. I know it's a big body guy. I know that could be a problem for Gilmore and guys like that, but I think if you give him a free run up the field. These routes are not complex. They really aren't. When you watch, I'm thinking, oh, it's the Rams, it's the forty nine ers. A lot of their stuff is on the short yarded stuff. It's combination between a tight end and a receiver, and there's a lot of picks, and it's inside out, inside out, and down the field. It's up in the middle. A lot of the balls are thrown towards the middle.
Speaker 8: Execute it.
Speaker 3: They just do a great job of executing what they have and the quarterback finds a way to gain They got protection, they get the routes executed. But it's not something that's just this blow your mind kind of route combinations. It's a pretty simple way of playing football. But they get protection, they get their quarterback gets the ball out to him, and then they got guys that can finish on the play. So I'm not gonna let these guys have any free access in routes. I'm just gonna make him. It all goes back to my plan of making Hurts have to hold the football. The longer he has to throw, the better off. Yeah. Yeah, exactly when he holds the ball, he's gonna have some problems. That's what they need to kind of focus on in this game. Him and then I'm talking about Brandon and also Smith Smith, the DeVonta. Smith doesn't have the physical size of Brown, but his downfield presence is just as impressive. Where he is really good is when they do what I call that two man game where his routes will take him inside and then there'll be a pick or like he's really good on when they need six seven yards on the outside. He runs outs all day. He is a throw it to him, catch tap tap, Throw it to him, catch tap tap. He's one of those guys when it comes to running the out routes and stuff. He's super comfortable, no one getting past the sticks, coming to the sticks, catching the ball, and then getting the first down.
Speaker 2: I think this is a game where I would love to stick Bland on AJ Brown as much as possible. Bland is going to be your most physical guy, and a great point from Brian. You want to try to disrupt AJ Brown at the line of scrimmage, Bland is going to give you the best opportunity to do that. The question then becomes, how can the Cowboys keep a shifty, quick guy like Davonte Smith from potentially, you know, dragging an older Stefan Gilmour across the middle of the field and getting some of those ends the little slants. Be interesting to see how they attack that. I think that also goes to the linebackers. They're going to have to help save safeties obviously as well. But let's not forget we're talking about AJ Brown rightfully. So that's a guy who has over nine hundred yards in his first eight games. He's just monster right now. Dallas Goddard, he can change the game for you as well. So paging j Ron Curse because this is a big assignment for jay Ron Curse.
Speaker 5: A tight end.
Speaker 3: Yeah, neither one of these tight ends can block Dallas Goddard and Jack Stole or really not that great of blockers. But where I worry about Dallas Goddard is this They're eight for eight on throwing screens to this guy. That's where that's where all of a sudden he's blocking. He's blocking, you lose track of he's blocking, and now he goes out and they throw him a screen, and you know, delayed screens just turn the mean and you just kind of like act like you're blocking. Turn around, get everybody upfield. Dallas has proven they really haven't been playing the screens all that well. I guarantee you we're going to see some screens in this game. Dallas. Goddard though eight for eight and when you throw him the screen he had. One of those was a for a touchdown that I saw. So there's no question that the Eagles are going to use him in that way. Delay, you know, loose track of where he is, and then throw them the football.
Speaker 2: And I know we're about to wrap up the final segment before we do. I'd be remiss if I didn't point off we didn't talk about the Toush push obviously, and how the Cowboys are going to have a challenge and stuff in that. But I think the Eagles made kind of a mistake last week against the Commanders in revealing a wrinkle they did not have to reveal out of that toush push. I think it was thirty one twenty six, yeah, and third and one and they're deep in the red zone and instead of they line up for the toush push, but they handed off to Devonte Smith, which stole and Godard as the blockers on the outside and not Davonte Smith DeAndre Swift. Yeah, and DeAndre Swift basically just walks in. So they've basically shown the Cowboys that, hey, that's a possibility. So I would love the Cowboys to keep that in mind because that means not every time they line up for that touch push are they actually going to do it.
Speaker 5: So keep at least keep.
Speaker 2: One of your linebackers honest back there and ask your big boys up front to stop that toush push because otherwise somebody's going to leak out the back.
Speaker 3: Didn't you guys ask Dan Quinn about this the other day about didn't he say he had some type of plan or what they had some they were going to try and do.
Speaker 8: So, yeah, everybody else some type of plan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've seen everybody has a plan for this until it actually until they run it and it's a first down that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: I just think the Eagles did the Cowboys a favored by revealing that wrinkle, Yeah, when they didn't have to because they hadn't revealed that wrinkle yet.
Speaker 3: It's kind of like Bones showing that he could throw the ball at a golstin on a field when he really didn't have to.
Speaker 8: Yeah. Well, before we end the segment, I know Patrick talked a little bit about Swift the running back and what they're doing, But anything else you want to add on how the running game is currently going for them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's you know, I can say Swift's averaging almost almost five yards of carry and like Patrick was talking about, he's going to try and run it inside, but I think he's a little bit more successful off the edges. But like he's not he doesn't have the the elusiveness you know of gain Well. Game was a little bit. Gain Will doesn't have the yards. But there was a sneaky run that gain Will had against the against the Patriots where he kind of took it inside and then he bounced it outside and then they were on the edge and then you know, it was a problem. It was one of his longer gains of the year. But Swift is extremely tough they use him, they emptied the formation. They'll throw him the football too. That's another thing that they kind of like to do with him. But the running style is pretty similar to what the Cowboys have been facing here the last several weeks. Downhill physical runners get you know, not these home run kind of hitters of backs. I didn't feel like that. It was everything would seem like he was getting tackled three, four or five yards, you know, in that situation. But a lot of inside runs, trying to be physical, handed off, see if he can make the cut and and just power over people.
Speaker 2: And the confidence here is I don't see Swift now.
Speaker 5: He's because he's not the same swift he was at Uga.
Speaker 2: I don't see him much different from trying to defend Austin Eckler, for example, And you saw how the Cowboys were able to use Markey's bell and help bottle up Austin Eckler. I think that would be a similar game plan to try to bottle up DeAndre Swift as well.
Speaker 8: So for this one, you could basically say the Cowboys, the Cowboys defense has bigger problems to deal with than focusing on the running game.
Speaker 3: If the quarter, yeah, if the quarterbacks really be If the quarterback is banged up, that that that is a clear advantage for the Cowboys because anything to keep him from running will be Now everything could change. He could say, Okay, I'm hurt, but I'm still going to run. Yeah, but if he if it doesn't look like he is really really interested in doing it right now.
Speaker 8: At this point of the season, obviously, I mean at any point you always got to protect and worry about your quarterback in their health.
Speaker 2: One reason the Cowboys and Deck hadn't been running until the past couple of weeks. So I mean again risk mitigation because at this point of the season, you still have a lot of football left to play. And Jalen Hurts has to ask himself whenever he takes off the run with a knee that we think might be worse off than what you're letting on. He has to consider like is it worth? Is this first down worth? You know, possibly losing the next several games because he's sidelined with the worst knee injury. So the fact that he might have to process that in his head. Again, that goes to adding leverage to the Conchers defense.
Speaker 3: To your question, They've got a lot of things to worry about with you.
Speaker 8: They got plenty all right. Well, that is all the time we have for today. Thank you so much, Brian, Patrick. We'll be back tomorrow where Brian's gonna break down the whole Philadelphia defense versus the Cowboys offense for Patrick Walker, Brian brad Us I remember yar. Yeah, this has been the break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.