Speaker 1: What's up? Everybody?
Speaker 2: Welcome into a Monday edition to Texans All Access from Monday Texans Radio Studio. And don't worry, it's not twenty fourteen. It just might feel that way. As John Harris and Mark vandermir are with you this evening. And Mark, we have one of the best guests, one of the best gets we've ever gotten.
Speaker 1: As we bring in twenty fourteen's.
Speaker 2: Overall number one draft pick, Gidevion Clowney. We saw the news you texted me yesterday and you had a two word text I can't say on radio because I was helping my son move and I missed it.
Speaker 1: And as soon as I.
Speaker 2: Went to Twitter, I saw at Jadeveon Clowney signs with the Texans. This Mark, I'm I told him this is the greatest weird thing that's ever happened.
Speaker 3: You brought it up in a show I want to say, about a week or so ago, maybe longer. What do you think of signing Clowney? I'm thinking, come on, things like this don't happen. Just move on to the next topic. What are we thinking about here? And then I thought, but is he gonna want to come here? Does he want to be the man and get all the sacks and start and that kind of thing, because the team here needs a player at that position to play a role, and it could be a prominent role, could be a lot of snaps, as it turns out, because you never know what happens with rotation. And you mentioned playing him inside or whatever. But Johnny, when I saw it, I thought, oh, they're all in. We knew they were all in anyway.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 3: Their actions speak louder than words. With everything they've done this offseason, even adding to the defense, which was so good last year, but everything they've done offensively, Let's revamp the line again. Let's just go in on rebuilding, reloading, improving the line. Let's get David Montgomery. Let's go and then they do this. This is going to be a hard team to move the ball against. But we can get into all that, Johnny, this is a fantastic thing to have Jadeveon Clowney on the football team.
Speaker 5: Here.
Speaker 1: It is Mark and I with Jadeveon Clowney.
Speaker 3: Look who's in studio with us in battle red back where he belongs, Jadevion Clowny, JD.
Speaker 1: Great to see.
Speaker 3: How's it going.
Speaker 5: It's going good man, Excited to be back, looking forward the opportunity, can't wait to get going.
Speaker 2: Okay, I said this, I said, seeing you again. Now, you and I we've seen each other at different stops. Who's been great? This is like the best weird feeling that I've had in a while. How is it for you after eight years coming back into building?
Speaker 4: Oh it's same, It's very weird, but it's exciting.
Speaker 5: I told my fiance, I, me and my wife that I was like, it's gonna be a big, big difference for me after leaving for so long and coming back, But I'm looking forward to I think I've got a great team here. I can help contribute and you know, chasing that super Bowl.
Speaker 3: You left, but in many ways you never did because you are still a Houstonian and have been even though you've played for several other teams. What's that been like still being in Houston, JD.
Speaker 5: It's been great. And I've been raising my family. I got three beautiful kids, ten year old, a six year old, and a four year old, and they love Houston, born and raised here, and we've just been had the whole time, just been playing football all the places. But I've been watching from a distance, and it's been great and I'm just happy to be back in the building.
Speaker 2: So when you say that and you mentioned your wife, yes, sir, I think back to when you walked in this building in twenty fourteen, wide eyed, twenty twenty one years old. I just turned twenty one, I mean, no kids at that point, right to where you are now. What's probably the biggest change in you a as a person JD and as a player.
Speaker 5: Just growing up as far as becoming a man, learning more about myself.
Speaker 4: And being patient.
Speaker 5: My patients have grown, and just you know, just becoming a man, like having kids to teach you patients and yeah, teach you everything about life and it just can't rush with your stuff and how to do things slow and take your time and making decisions.
Speaker 4: And I think that's been.
Speaker 5: The biggest chance for me, getting married and you know, having kids and been in the family being great for me.
Speaker 3: Seven teams, Jadevian, and you look at each situation, it's all different, right, So every time you go somewhere you've been able to contribute, but each situation is different. What was that process like getting acclimated to each team and then being a success.
Speaker 5: Oh, man, it was difficult sometimes because sometimes going out the training camp and you know, try to jump to this team and a scheme in the middle of the season. But I always just say, at the end of the day, one thing you can do is play football, you know, and you a football player to be very instinctive. And I knew that about myself, so every time I walked out down so I might not know the playbook like that off the back, but I'm a very distinctive player of playing football. So I just let my instincts take over. And I just kept succeeding throughout my career playing no matter where I went, I just kept succeeding, playing at a high level.
Speaker 2: JAD, how much did you did you know Demiko Ryans before this process that you guys met before, because I know, I don't think you guys crossed over in a building that I can remember here.
Speaker 1: Did you have, you know, just knowledge of Demiko?
Speaker 2: What was kind of your thought about, Hey, I like what Demko's doing, I like what the defense is doing, and it's obviously your home here in Houston. How much did all that play a factor? Demiko Ryans very much a lot past seven eight years. Like I said, since he signed, I've been watching from a distance, like don he got that team ready to play them guys follow him, They bond in and you want to be a part of an organization like that and the guy that everybody's believing can lead. And for me watching that on TV and you I'm at home watching it on TV, I'm like, I can be a part of I know I can help that team. And when it was time and then I had the opportunity to come back, it was a no brainer for me. And it matter about the money and other teams that was called, I was like, oh man, I got a chance to go back to where it all started and try to finish it how I want to finish my career and my legacy and the place where it started. So that's what I was thinking about when I made my decision this offseason.
Speaker 3: How do you see yourself fitting in? Did they talk to you about that your role? Because some pretty good pass rushers.
Speaker 5: Here is no question, Like I said, I told them, guys, I know they got great pass rushers. I'm just a great player of myself. I just told them it ain't gonna be no fall off out of them three. You won't be able to tell the difference. So see, you know, I don't want to just keep speaking on I want to I'm gonna show me guys. So I'm just gonna show up every day and show them guys what I can do and contribute to help the team anyway I can.
Speaker 3: Johnny's already talking about moving you inside, sometimes inside, outside, you everywhere. Yeah, and you like that too, right, Yea.
Speaker 5: I played it all a lot here when I was When I was here, I played inside a lot, like rushing up the middle, over the guards, over the center. I feel like I can pretty much help any any way they can see me fit and I still dominate the run, game, still dominate, you know, getting to the quarterback, paying pressure. So you know, I just, like I said, having fun with it and continue to try to continue my career and know what other place to do it in back in Houston where I started.
Speaker 1: One of my favorite moments, JD. We were in the locker room. I don't if you remember this.
Speaker 2: We're in the locker room and I was interviewing somebody after the game, is player of the game. And I remember you looked at me and you're like, hey, you'll be talking to me.
Speaker 4: Next week, you feel me? Yeah, and you.
Speaker 1: I mean you called your shot.
Speaker 2: And then it was Indianapolis twenty sixteen and you had to sack on Andrew forced to fumble, kept him out of the end zone.
Speaker 1: So we were talking about that this morning.
Speaker 2: Do you have a player or a moment that you remember most from your first stint with the Texans that you got?
Speaker 6: You have?
Speaker 1: You have like you know what that one?
Speaker 2: Because I said to Mark, I have a couple of moments that didn't show up on the stat sheet. We had your interception against the Raiders in playoff game, which is cool. You had to touchdown against New England. Those are great stats on the stat sheet. I have some you chased now brand La fell.
Speaker 1: Against the Bengals. You almost caught it. That was pretty damn impressive.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: And then in the playoff game against the Patriots, up there you hit Tom Brady.
Speaker 1: I thought you broke him.
Speaker 4: Me too, I thought I got him, but.
Speaker 2: I thought you had it. I thought I didn't think he was getting up from that. But do you have one like a favorite memory?
Speaker 5: It was so many When it comes to ask you, I remember what we was playing, I want to say the Minnesota Vikers.
Speaker 4: One year.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I got some big hits on one of their running backs and I was just like it was them. Some of the best hits it went on helmet knockoffs, but yes, slide inside, boom boom, guys on the goal line trying to squeeze in and all of that just was played memories and especially against the coachs. Yeah, all the years playing against Andrew Luck and you know, making plays against the Vision was crazy for me, And you know that was how we always see that as being playing in tests, got to beat up on the division, so all of them division games, and me was so big that I always wanted to make plays and try to contribute. So that's all I kept thinking about, like what can I do to help the team and make plays. So it was so much that I could talk about on teams, Like you said, the playoff game, we try to make the run against the Raiders to pick six, talking for lost when I pulled the guy's hair down. Yeah that's right, that's one of great plays for me. And you know I was like I got a boy one dread so you know, yeah, well, so it was so much here, so much history for me and so much from part of my legacy that I had picked down in the first five years of my career making all Pro was here. You know, my feelt, like I said, raised my family here. So it's been great for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, twenty sixteen is no, not because you were the number one defense in the league in this past year Texans number one defense in the league. We're talking yards per game, and that was you and Whitney just reaking have it up front along with everybody else. Yeah, yeah, DJ Reader, Are you in touch with a lot of the guys still?
Speaker 4: I do.
Speaker 5: I work out with DJ Reader all the time, Okay, Kareem Jackson, Jonathan Jose, all them guys. I still stay in sush with him. You know, our kids hang out together. It's just been great just developing the relationships over the years and catedo on throughout my life. It's been great, even though I haven't been playing with them. You know, every all season I get up with him. I stay here, Jonathan Joe's I see his kids. DJ Reader, we got two boys now. It's like, hey, we were just blessed to continue to play the game we love and you know, and our kids get to watch us now, my kids and it's just been fun for me.
Speaker 2: From that standpoint. Them getting a chance to watch you on television. How cool is that for you? Because we've talked to people you know when they have kids, Like we saw DJ last year up in Detroit. We had long chat with him. It was good to see him. But when you're kids get a chance to watch you, what's that like?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 5: You just don't want to let him down. My son know the game and he like it's so funny. I signed a Dallas late last year and my first game was Rusty against Green Bay Packerdson and after the game he was like, Dad.
Speaker 4: I know they wouldn't you out there.
Speaker 5: And I was like, son, I promise you if I don't do nothing, I'm gonna get better from here. You know they ain't gonna give back, but I'm gonna get nothing better. I just got knocked to rust out. He's like my dad was. He fell down a few times. I promise you sound getting better. But he noticed that type of stuff at ten years old. He watched the game tight now and I just be wanting to prove him that I can still go. So half of the stuff I do because of my kids, you know, I be consistent more consistent now in my career and work it out is because my son work out with and I do a lot of stuff to try to lead him, to show him how you're supposed to go about it.
Speaker 3: Thirteenth year in the league, and that's incredibly difficult to accomplish no matter who you are. So how have you changed over the years in terms of the way you take care of yourself, if at all? Because you came in and twenty fourteen, I mean that's a while ago, So how's that evolved for you?
Speaker 6: Man?
Speaker 5: It started crazy because, like I said, I got hurt my first game of my career. I probably played like seven eight snaps and had that microfraction. I came in at two seventy, you know, and I had to slim up because I couldn't. I had no more catlage on my knee for these years. But all these years, it's just been really developing a different way to attack my body as far as like getting inflammation out or you know, trying to get my knee flexion back. And over the year, I've just been increasing myself for getting better and better and better. And I know I'm getting older in the age, but my body started feeling better the later in my career, and it kind of helped me, you know, just getting healthier and taking care of I spent a lot of money on it. I spent a lot of money in my body. But it's also worked out for being paid off for me and I still get to play thirteen years in the lead. Like I said, it's been a blessing. I'm just blessed to be here, continue to be playing because it could have been over with a long time ago. I started, you know, I had injury, injury, injury, back to back to back to both of our girls too, my knee up here, all here, and then it started getting better. I just thank God for that because I didn't know at one point at time in my career, I didn't know what was gonna happen. I was like, I don't know, ma, I just couldn't get over the injury part of my first two years. And then I started getting better, you know, and it started coming together and then started kept making plays.
Speaker 2: Well, there are a lot of offensive linemen that would like for you have stepped away at that point, but you didn't.
Speaker 1: I remember.
Speaker 2: I think I can tell the story now. It was twenty eighteen we went to Denver and Jjo was hurt and j J wasn't playing, and we went we went back on the field. That was the Demeri that was the Marrius game. Yeah, that was when we had gotten the Marrius and de Marius was playing back in Denver with us and we ended up winning the game. Miss the field and all that, But I remember Jjo walked by me by halftime and he goes, you know, clowne ain't supposed to be playing. And I was like, what do you mean? He goes, you had like a I don't know what's the worst.
Speaker 1: What's the worst?
Speaker 6: You got?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 6: Great?
Speaker 1: Is grade one the worst? Or grade three?
Speaker 7: Three?
Speaker 1: Grade two? He's like he's got a grade three ruin issue.
Speaker 2: And I was like playing and you were playing that game, and I just remember it's like Klina shouldn't be out there, and I was like, and yeah, at the NFL level, you do have to do make sacrifices.
Speaker 1: You do play when you're when you're hurt. You know, there's difference between being hurt and injured.
Speaker 2: But at what point did you kind of have that epiphany of you know, what, how do I take care.
Speaker 1: Of my body a little bit better? When did you have When did that hit you?
Speaker 4: Probably when I left here.
Speaker 5: Okay, I was young, getting naives, and anybody could have got meen to do anything at twenty twenty one, especially when you drafted me here. You know, I didn't know no better. If I knew what I knew now, I probably would have told them, hey, just let me get healthy, fully healthy, and try to come back.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 4: I would have to keep getting hurt.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 5: I just kept going out there, listen to other people tell me, oh, you can do it, and I went listened to myself and I kept hit myself in the situations. So it was like young, just being young. And as I got older, I started I to just take care of your body, you know, listen to your body. Don't let nobody else tell you how to go or where you should be at in six weeks.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 4: They put a timetable on me to get back healthy.
Speaker 5: And when it came to their point and I went there, I started saying in my head, I gotta go because it's past.
Speaker 4: It's six weeks, you know, that's what they told me. I should be feeling better.
Speaker 5: So I started trying to do stuff because other people are not myself at that point of time in my career when I was younger. As I got older, I started saying, just take care of me and everything and take care of itself. So that's what I changed that when I left.
Speaker 3: It's wild to me that we have a player here who is teammates with Andre Johnson and you're still with the Texans while you're back, you're originally with the Texans. But what do you make of the building, the facilities people around here, Because it's different than when you were here.
Speaker 5: It's time saying that it's so much. It's so different. It's so much better. To locker rooms amazing, Yeah, the weight rooms amazing, the upstairs put it upstairs and there. Yeah, it's crazy. I said, I couldn't even come up with it. How could they evolve that much and add that much in this building? But they figured it out. It's nice doing. The training room is huge now they scripted it. It looked so much bigger than when I was when I was here. The food great, yeah, yeah, yeah, I just ate that twice they had lamb chopped chicken.
Speaker 4: It was it was great. But it's just been great.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 5: Like I said, just I'm just happy to be back here back playing and continue my career here.
Speaker 2: So this morning we were doing our show kind of the corner as you you know, walk on the practice field. We're at that first corner when everybody walks by, so we expect you to say hi, that's tomorrow. But I saw the fans, fans going by, and they all wearing jerseys, and you know, saw Nico go by.
Speaker 1: I saw a CJ.
Speaker 2: Strad go by, and then I saw one woman that was walking by and she had a ninety Clowny jerseys on. People have not forgotten you around here, man, like they have not forgotten about you. There was an excitement yesterday when it was announced that you were coming back to the Texans, not just by by Mark and I. It was it was everybody like Clowny's coming back. There was like this big excitement. What do you have to say to the fans that still have that love for you? And now it's Texans fans can get a chance to see you a getting play.
Speaker 5: Hey man, I appreciate it. I'm so excited, so blessed to have you guys. It's wonderful and I hope I can go ahead and make you guys proud again. This year and give you out everything I got. You know, I'm looking forward to that, hopefully lead this team to a super Bowl. That's the that's what I planned. My plan was this. Yeah, I'm sure that's everybody on this team playing, and I just want to be a part of that.
Speaker 3: Well, we noticed that through number shuffling today that ninety might be a vailable might be. Is that what it's going to be?
Speaker 4: Yes, sir, I'll be wearing my number ninety.
Speaker 6: That is.
Speaker 1: I like it, my number ninety, I like it.
Speaker 4: I have it back.
Speaker 3: JD. Thanks a lot for joining us. Good luck, sir, Thank you for having Mark.
Speaker 2: I said it before we talked to JD. I said, as we did, it's the greatest weird thing that I've seen in a while. It's been eight years since he's been here. We had a lot of different topics. I loved when he talked about his kids, uh and them giving a hard time when he was at Dallas a little bit. But that's a that's a dude that has grown up, and he's grown up with the the number one overall pick spotlight squarely on him at all times, and he's now going into his thirteenth year as a player. I think it's just it's amazing story. And now you start thinking about it, as we did this morning, about the impact he can have on this on this defense, on this team.
Speaker 3: It's so bizarre, Johnny, because he was teammates with Andre Johnson. You know they overlapped that year. So you think about the eras that he's played since then. I mean, he hasn't missed a beat. Really know, he's battled some injuries, but who hasn't. So Andre drafted in three clown He's still playing in twenty twenty six. This is the twenty fifth year of the franchise and he left. Now he's back. I think this is a great coaching staff for him, top to bottom. The d line coach is terrific for him. And look, there's a standard here. You don't meet the standard, you're not here. But he has every capability of meeting this standard. And I love that he's been in here. That means he's heard, he's seen. He says he's watched from afar. He knows what's going on here and he's eager to be a part of it. If you're him, is he ring chasing? I hope so, because I want him to be successful. I hope he is, and that means he's gonna do whatever he can to fit in best he can. He will wreck games along with Danil and Will and the whole gang up front. They've been doing it anyway, but to add him to the mix. Look, I love Derek Barnett, I love everything they've been doing off the edge depth wise, but you get your Devian Clowney. You only have to play him twenty five snaps a game or something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is good. This is real good.
Speaker 3: Because if you were another team, Johnny, if you were I don't know, give me another squad where he's got to start the wear and tear. Are you gonna be able to count on that week and weekend? For this team, there's less wear and tear because there's less snaps. If he has to miss a game or two, okay, but you're gonna get him back, and you need to get him back in full health. This goes for everybody. If if you can hit the stretch run and the postseason with as many healthy bodies as possible and he's one of them, can you imagine what kind of success you can have. This is fun, This is what a great time to be a Texan.
Speaker 2: I know, I probably shouldn't use this because it's not the it's not the Astros.
Speaker 1: But in two.
Speaker 2: Thousand and four, the Red Sox had Pedro Martinez and Tim Wakefield was part of that lot, but he was the number two.
Speaker 1: But then he went on got Kurt Shilling.
Speaker 2: So all of a sudden, you got Kurt Schilling and Pedro Martinez and there's little old Tim Wakefield as the number three guy. It's like, hey, you face Shilling, you face Pedro, Like, oh man, okay, we get wait, oh god, we got to face Wakefield.
Speaker 3: Knuckleballer, ye knuckle ball. That was a return. That was a boomerang player's right, that was a.
Speaker 2: Boomerang boomerang player. And I don't know how many we've had here, but here's one for this. You know who was in the undrafted free agent class of twenty fourteen with the Texans. Tell me James Farrence. That's awesome, and he is now the IDEMS coach.
Speaker 1: That's pretty that's pretty amazing you think about it that way.
Speaker 3: So we're going to think of more of these two oh, I know, interesting little tie ins and tidbits totally. You know, we mentioned the twenty sixteen defense and people are thinking, well, why didn't you mention what because he was hurt that hurt there. You know, he didn't play all the games in the year, so he played me.
Speaker 1: Three against the Patriots and then that.
Speaker 3: Was it for the year. That was it, And you ended up having the number one defense anyway because Clowney and Merciless and all their friends played so well. And look, that was a long time ago. This is now. He looks good and you want to talk about on the whole off and everything. He looks good. He's been working out in Houston because he lives here. He's ready to go soon enough anywhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, today we didn't get a chance to see him today. Rio was there.
Speaker 2: Rio was in there, but Jay had to get the physical and all that kind of stuffs.
Speaker 3: Today.
Speaker 2: I looked over at him at one point I tried to get his attention and he just you could just see it, like, oh man, today was Today was brewiyh.
Speaker 3: That's one of the headlines today. That was the hottest day of camp in a while. No breeze, no clouds.
Speaker 2: No clouds, that's rough. That's that's yeah. First day and pads, so you know, the intensity is ramped up. Uh Mark, I'll I'll say this, and I try to say this, and I do this each year because people are like, oh, you say this, each year you say this.
Speaker 1: I try to compare at different.
Speaker 2: Points from previous years because you never know when you know, when things have changed, things have changed, they're gonna you know, things will getting better, things can get worse, et cetera.
Speaker 1: So I try and have apples to apples comparison.
Speaker 2: So when I say that the offensive line has looked much much better, I'm actually comparing it to.
Speaker 1: Last year at this time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like five days in, Yeah, first five days.
Speaker 2: I like to do that comparison. Five days in and look, there's a there's a bigger hurdle. Get over and we'll talk about that. Is this group the best offensive line.
Speaker 1: In the NFL? Is the best thing?
Speaker 2: I'm not even going there. All I'm comparing it to is what we saw last year. And I can remember there were practices last year. I'd write my notebook, seven has to scramble, seven had to get out, seven had a dirt like I would have to put those moments in there because there just wasn't time to throw. I have seen time for quarterbacks to throw all three I have seen. I saw Woody Marx. I'm not the only one I saw it. Woody Marx burst through, burst through a hole, Keithan Rutledge knocking a guy out of the way, giving Woody a run through lane. No Whittington flying through, David Montgomery battering ram My new ing game for him is plus one because he is all every run it's a two yard run, he'll get three. It's a three yard run, he'll get four. He's always getting at least another positive yard. I feel like, and again I'm not telling you that everyone was going to the Pro Bowl, not telling you it's a bunch of all pros.
Speaker 1: Just comparing it last year to this year. This offensive line is light years away from what it was.
Speaker 3: So you're using the term that they were using with us after OTAs, because that's what the players were saying when we asked him about the offense this year versus last year at that point, they said, we're light years ahead because they know what they're doing now. And you and I talked to Nick Kelly about it. You know, you get up to the line. Now, you get up to the line, you get fifteen twenty on the place clock not eight nine seconds or less, and you have to just rush to play. Now CJ can look it over, maybe change protection if he has to, or come up with a different idea. Whatever the case is. You want to have that extra time, and it really helps. And it's so helpful to have a guy like David Montgomery, like you said, who gets those angry yards. Look, Joe Mixon was a hell of a pickup two years ago, There's no doubt about it. But he didn't practice in training camp. He wasn't with the encamp during training. Yeah, we see it with Montgomery. I said this morning, bubble wrap, I'm almost there. Yeah, I said, I gotta see him in pads first, then bubble wrap. I'm almost ready for bubble rap. At his age, I don't want to see too much more, but I know there's more to go in camp, and camp is a survival battle every day you get through camp. I don't see guys tended to like on the spot medically, who knows what they're battling in the trainer's room. I'm happy. I'm happy that there's no injury issue to deal with, or no obvious apparent injury. Now, there have been some guys who have needed a look. But it's been so far, so good, and let's keep it going.
Speaker 2: Yeah, some standout plays today I wrote about him at Harris Hits. Nico Collins one hand grab was tremendous on the near sideline. He was coming across me. He's literally coming all the way across the field, full sprint. CJ head to god pocket, fired it right down the sideline and Nico just reached out left hand and went and snagged it.
Speaker 6: That was good.
Speaker 2: I thought Jay Rock Jalen Smith had a really good day. A couple of really nice pass breakups on the day that was. That was good to see. Like I said, the Delvins liney looked good. I mentioned an undrafted free agent rookie offensive lineman that really caught my eye today with just a couple of plays just showing some physicality. So you have to get into Harri's Hits to see who that was. I like to T's Johnny.
Speaker 3: I like witting to trees, touchdown catch and so quick, very quick, so quick, very quick. He's gonna be one of these fun guys to watch in the preseason games starting next Thursday.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm gonna say something that I know we'll get me in trouble, but I got it. I gotta say it because I think it leads to why No Whittington is the runner that he is. Okay, his butt is is like so big and powerful, like I see where all the power comes from.
Speaker 3: All right, like loa as Charlie Cassley would say, Yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Mean his loess is I mean impressive, really really impressive. I think the running backs overall jaws noah. You know, British had a couple of runs today, but David and what do I think? The running backs have looked really good? And there was a lot of talk about going out and getting running back and there was a lot of reason, you know for that. We talked about, you know, should they are they gonna draft one? Should they draft one? They very confident with their top three and they felt like, look, we can get No Whittington is undrafted free agent here, We'll feel good about.
Speaker 1: That for along with British Brooks and right now.
Speaker 2: I I could see why they they have that confidence in that in that group, and it's, uh, it's been fun to watch.
Speaker 1: I put this in Harris hits as well.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna tell us last one before uh, we get to the McNair's in the next segment. So there were a lot of tight ends on the field today, a lot which take that for what it is. So Marlon Klein was working with different groups throughout. So he's on the left side and he's run play and he's got to block Daniel How do you.
Speaker 1: Think that way?
Speaker 3: Well, it's gonna be rough for the rookie. Yeah, yeah, yeah, And it didn't go well. Right Theno kind of handles it.
Speaker 2: Danell kind of bounces off a tackle, kind of kind of MUCKs up the whole play, and I see Marlon just, I mean, Denil just kind of took him in. You know, Marlon's hanging out for dear life, and he just there's nothing he can do. And I was like, yeah, I wrote my notebook as like, uh, a tough day for the rookie you and I wrote down you had to go against the Neil et cetera, et cetera. A little bit later, now he's on the right side. They I can't remember what run play they ran. Now Marron's got to go against.
Speaker 3: Well Anderson and Anderson Jr.
Speaker 1: And I'll be damn if Marlon Kleine gets on the block.
Speaker 2: Now Will's trying to disengage from him, but as he does, he kind of slides inside.
Speaker 1: That's what That's what the Neil beat him with. Yeah, and all of a sudden, Kline just kind of pivoted turned and pinned him inside in the back. I can't remember who it was the back then kind of ducked off a client's block. Oh it's Montgomery.
Speaker 2: Montgomery kind of ducks off, sees the block, sees client, kind of pin him inside, kind of goes off of clients.
Speaker 1: But he was at the ten yard line. He gets down about the three fights down to the one.
Speaker 2: I was like, wow, that was nice. So I didn't see the block initially, but I was like, where did Montgomery get the hole? So I looked up at the video and I'm watching the video and I saw it from behind, and I'm like, you know what, that's pretty damn good to go over on one side and the really struggle with the Neil Hunter and you're going to I mean, who doesn't right to come on the other side, and everybody struggles with Will Anderson and it was just stay sticky on the block, Just stay on it. And as a rookie to learn to go from that play to that play. I thought it was huge from Marlon Klin and AI is learning. AI is learning, and that a young guy learning like that and doing that.
Speaker 1: I thought was big. I thought it was it was really really big.
Speaker 2: Separating yourself in that tight end that Titian group I think is a lot better than people think, and him showing that blocking acumen. I mean, that's what That's what I think this organization wants to see from him, and they believe he can do that. But man, it's a challenge going against those damn defensive ends that you're gonna face. Absolutely, you know, tight end group, tough cuts. Man, that's how to be one of those.
Speaker 3: But we're early. We're going to continue to see it flow here. We need more information, no doubt.
Speaker 2: We got a lot of information from Callahan and McNair this morning. We had an absolute blast. Even though Cal is trying to give up State eight secrets. We wouldn't let him. But it's a great conversation. Stick around the stacks on Texans All Access.
Speaker 1: What's going on? Everybody? Welcome back to this Monday edition of Texans All Access.
Speaker 2: We kicked off the show the best way possible Jay d to deveon Clowney joined Mark and myself. Man, it was so fun to catch up with him and you know, talk about the good old days and talk about well, what's coming up the better new days, if you will. It was so fun to catch up with him. Well, we had a chance this morning to catch up with Cal and Hannah McNair. The conversation started with the fact that neither Mark nor I have been on the podcast on the fifty.
Speaker 1: Hannah talked about that to lead us off.
Speaker 7: It's so fun, you know, we have a good time on that show. I can't wait for some of the guests this year that we have in mind and surprise you probably.
Speaker 1: That you're sitting next to you. Maybe you might have to change the schedule.
Speaker 8: A little bit somewhere.
Speaker 6: At the top of the list, but you're on the list.
Speaker 1: On the list, listen.
Speaker 2: I just need to be in the door, cow, that's it. I just need to be somewhere in the vicinity. I'll be waving in the back.
Speaker 1: I don't care. When you had your sisters on, he totally derailed this. No, that was good, it's good.
Speaker 3: That was amazing. All right, there is how well you know each other and everything. You're playing kind of newly wet game.
Speaker 8: Thing like testing each other that there is a lot that got edited out and.
Speaker 3: Right, well that's the stuff we want to see though. Yeah, all right, well thoughts twenty fifth season, cal how special is this? And I know that the banner hangs here in the end zone honoring your mother, honoring our co founder and Hannah said the mother of the Texans on Saturday. What a great tribute as well. And I know that's got to be so bittersweet for lack of a better word, but your thoughts on the whole situation.
Speaker 6: A little bit overwhelming.
Speaker 9: There's a I mean, it's gonna be an incredible season for a lot of reasons. Of the top of my mind is his mom is celebrating her. Then we'll start the off with our Liberty White game. The first game will stensile up the field. We'll have some tributes. You love Liberty White game.
Speaker 6: Uh, she loved ball. She if she was here, she'd be out here.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 9: I had her little tent yep that we set up for her. But she wouldn't be staying inside. She'd be outside and the players would be coming up and saying hi to her, and she'd be making notes on her roster like she was in the Ota. She was out here in Ota. So that's really, you know, something we're gonna miss. And but we'll celebrate this year. And but like you mentioned, the twenty fifth years of special Year or two, mom and dad founded it together, and so that'll be kind of a celebration of her and dad in the twenty fifth year and being Texans, and and just a lot of good stuff. We have the new uniform coming up for rivalries, which will be a lot of fun. We have the game in London, which is gonna be a lot of fun. So there's a lot of things going on this year that's really going to be special. We can't we can't wait to get started.
Speaker 1: Before training camps started.
Speaker 2: Being a twenty fifth year, our social media team posted a video from day one, absolute day one, all the way back. What do you guys remember about year one? What do you remember twenty five years ago? What stood out to you about your one? I mean, obviously you the Cowboys are over at Reliant Stadium, gonna make sure I say that, But what do you remember about year one?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 9: Yeah, just starting from scratch, you know, and just having a there's no the league doesn't give you a playbook, right. The league says you want a team right and badfooted? Yah, have fun. And they were able to put it together and go out there and snap the ball and win the first game against a really good Dallas team.
Speaker 4: By it.
Speaker 6: It wasn't a slipshot. Dallas tear.
Speaker 9: They had playoff hopes, maybe even Super Bowl hopes, and our guys came out and took it. So it was an incredible win. And that's I mean, that's just a huge memory for me.
Speaker 8: We're all in that year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yep, there it is. Well, I know we are going to honor so many of the moments. Is it hard to boil down a list of all the great moments in Texans history? Because I know we've kind of gone over this as an organization and there's just so much to choose from.
Speaker 8: It really is.
Speaker 7: You wanted to get to the twenty five moments, and it was really hard to get to. I mean, how do you pick and choose? There's so many moments even last year. How many moments did you have.
Speaker 8: Just last year?
Speaker 7: Yeah, So it is really difficult. There's a lot to celebrate. Hopefully we can do more than twenty five. But there's there's some incredible athletes that we've had come through this organization and then some come back. I mean, we just had one come back yesterday, so you know that could there are always a Texan and we just appreciate everything every athlete has done for this organization, going all the way back to the two guys. You know, you had Chester Pits out there. He's still out here somewhere, yep. You know, Andre are Hall of Famer. Just so many different moments, you know, Seth.
Speaker 9: Pain, House of Pain, the House of Pain in that defense was really really strong yep, and anchored by Seth Pain. So there's a lot of like Hannahs saying, there's a lot of great athletes that came through here. Our group has tried to put together a twenty five year book, you know, and and it's really thick because there's a lot of memories, a lot of great athletes, and just really hard to pin it down to just a few things.
Speaker 2: But now, Cal, you mentioned a second ago something about rivalry jerseys. What can you all tell us because Cal is about to break some news and then that got shut down, So I don't want to hold Steph Bunce here.
Speaker 1: I don't want to. I don't want to step on toes.
Speaker 2: I wanna what can you tell us about these rivalry jerseys that are apparently coming our way this summer.
Speaker 9: I can't say anything. We're not gonna hand that over to Hannah, who won't go over the red line here?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Uh no, I think I I think the fans will really like it. I think they'll see h Town all throughout it. I think, you know, it'll just put a stamp on Houston in our history. And I think that the fans will like it.
Speaker 8: I really do.
Speaker 7: I'm really excited about it. Going through the process is always fun, but then when you see it on the guys, it's it really puts a whole other level to it.
Speaker 6: All Right.
Speaker 3: The schedule is amazing. It's also amazingly difficult. But the Texans are really good. This is going to be fun. Every game has this epic kind of feel to it already. So I'm going to say this, other than the Dallas game, give me a game or two that really pops out to you. They're all special, they're all important. The opener against Buffalo, my gosh, how could you ask for anything more so, what do you think, cal what pops out to you on the schedule Other than doubt.
Speaker 8: I already know his answer. Go ahead, Kyle.
Speaker 3: First game, yep, first game, First game.
Speaker 1: He's a football guy.
Speaker 8: The next game, the next game.
Speaker 6: I just want to win the next game.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And that's the Bills.
Speaker 9: And they're a really strong team with a really really talented quarterback. New head coach I believe up there that we talked to in one of our mini processes, but a really bright young guy, especially particularly on offense and with quarterbacks. He coached a guy that's now at Cincinnati. But it's a you know, really solid team that's made a lot of playoff runs and it will be quite a challenge for us. But that's one I'm looking forward to. The opening the season, Liberty White at home, sold out crowd. We're gonna honor Mom. It's gonna be emotional for me and for handing everybody, Maybe for everybody, but that's the one I'm looking forward to. You can't wait to get it.
Speaker 3: How great is it to have Dallas on the schedule for the twenty fifth years at home?
Speaker 6: I know we've talked about that a lot.
Speaker 7: It is kind of crazy that it worked out that way, because you know, we only play them so much at home.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's pretty fine.
Speaker 9: And we love going to London, So we're going back to London this year and playing the Jags and their ownership group.
Speaker 6: We're really good friends.
Speaker 9: With will host us and do a great job and we have a pretty good record there in London, so we're looking.
Speaker 3: Forward to so far undefeated, all timeeated.
Speaker 7: We get along with the Cowboys, took Charlotte and I've worked together this year with flag football and trying to get at UIL sanctioned.
Speaker 8: So I've enjoyed that partnership with her.
Speaker 3: Well, that is a big effort between the two franchises right state wide, of course, the Texans have represented in the championship lest.
Speaker 8: More high schools, yes, yes, and more.
Speaker 3: High schools, So how about that. I mean, you have to be really happy with I know the Texans team lost in the championship, but you got all the way to the championship.
Speaker 7: Yes, they did incredible and it was Memorial High School which is their first year, so their first year out and they made it all the way to the state championships, which is pretty phenomenal. So congratulations to those girls. They were out here on Saturday, Saturday, Yes, Saturday, so they only had three seniors on that team, so they'll be almost a full squad coming back.
Speaker 8: Congratulations to them.
Speaker 3: So the team I helped coach clements, we lost to them in the district final.
Speaker 8: Oh and you're a good coach. You've been doing this a long time.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he doesn't want to hear.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: I love I love doing it. And they were really good. And they told me on Saturday their head coaches moving to Florida. I said, is your past rusher moving too? Because she was devastating to us. I really want to see that happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I think the head coach is going to work for Tampa Bay Buccaneers. I believe is that?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 8: I think that's right.
Speaker 6: That's amazing.
Speaker 3: Well, they got a great team coming back.
Speaker 2: Okay, so the two of us get talking about football at time. So now it's you two talking about this team. What you guys see early in camp, what excites you about this team? What do you like about this team? What do you like about the prospects in the twenty fifth year. I'm not saying you got to make any forecasts or anything, but what is it that you guys see, because I know you guys know ball.
Speaker 1: What do you guys see about this team?
Speaker 8: Oh, bab, you go first?
Speaker 6: You want me to go?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you go first.
Speaker 6: Well, I'm excited.
Speaker 9: I want to really about the in the trenches, guys on offense, guys on defense. We put a lot of assets there. The coachings really looks really good. They seem to be picking up stuff on the O line really well, and they're sticky. I mean they get on a block and they still on a block. So I'm excited to see how that shows up with pads on today. And on the defensive side, we added a couple of folks yesterday that can really play and help us, and they do a really good job on the D line in a rotation, and it's a rotation. I think we're getting pretty darn strong. And you're starting with those two guys on the outside that are unbelievable in building from there. So I'm really looking forward to the trenches. I believe that's where the game is won. I love to see us run the ball with demo we got back, there's really moving it, and I love to see us stop the run on defense. So when we go one on ones, it's really challenged because you're not one side makes a play and you're going.
Speaker 6: Yeah, wait what about the other side.
Speaker 9: So both really coming along and I'm really excited about the trenches this year.
Speaker 2: I think that's one of the things I've noticed in this camp thus far. And I told this to Mark after the first day, but after four days, just seen it. Instead of capital defns SE and lower case offense, it's been more even. It's been more swapping punches. You know, one time it's the offense getting it, then it's the defense. It feels more even in the attack hand of your thoughts about what you've seen, adding on.
Speaker 8: To what can just adding on to the trenches. I mean, our rookies are looking good out there.
Speaker 7: You have McDonald, you have Rutledge, and that's exciting to see in the young guys really coming out and making a statement, and you really like to see that. I think we've got some good vets on the line that are going to help them grow into the players they can be.
Speaker 8: But they're really talented and you're seeing that come out.
Speaker 4: I wanted to bring on the.
Speaker 9: Defense you have on each level. You have some really really unbelievable players on all three levels. So and that's coming along on offense too, So I mean that's.
Speaker 7: Where you want to be, and our tight end cruise pretty I mean what you're looking. There's a lot of depth in a lot of different areas. But and I was excited to see us ad to yesterday because we did lose two in the off season to free agency, So that's exciting to see those guys well at Chelsea.
Speaker 3: You're never done building a football team, right. Acquisitions can happen at any time and they could be really good, and you're not done building love volleyball. It's year three of off Houston and year two with the Texans in control of the organization. I know that there's been some acquisitions and things like that. We got Jordan back, which is amazing, and I know there's the rebranding and name naming. So we're down to final three. I have three names here, Houston. It's the Love Houston. You say it like that, Love Houston, Hype, love Houston, Hustle, Love Houston, Halo.
Speaker 1: Yes, those are the final three. Yes, So what's it gonna be?
Speaker 8: That's a great question. We need people to go online and vote for their favorite. So if you're.
Speaker 7: Listening to me, please just go take a minute go vote on your favorite name. Another fun, fun information is that Mertz yep, his girl is Isabelle and she is on our pro volleyball team. So now I thought him the other day, I was like, you're double dipping on our pro teams.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 8: Oh wow, so pretty.
Speaker 7: Incredible that we've got a little okay marriage between the organizations.
Speaker 1: They have to go to HR and announce like I had to do. I met my wife at the school we worked together.
Speaker 8: Like if they work.
Speaker 1: Together, like, don't they have to go to HR.
Speaker 8: They came in together, so I think it's.
Speaker 2: So yeah, man, I had to go HR back in the day because I was going out with my wife who worked at the same school I did. So yeah, we handled it and the ain't got married, I don't know, eight ten months later and the rest is history. So we'll see what happens with Graham. But it's gonna be fun, nonetheless to see those two together. All right, we get back, we'll go around in the league. There's plenty of stuff happened in the NFL, no question. We'll hit it next right here in Texas. All Access All right here we go Monday Initiative Texans All Access final segment. Appreciate you being with me. John Harris Football and all a sidelaide reporter for your Houston Texans and hosting this evening's proceedings. Appreciate you being with me. We had Geevian Clowney earlier. He was fantastic. He's so good to see him. We've seen him a few times, you know, through the different stops and he's great. He's like, hey man, he would be so excited to see me when we would be other places, I know, the Houston and a lot to him. So glad that he's back here with us.
Speaker 1: That was fun. So we had that. We had the McNair's that aweso.
Speaker 2: Let's go round the league and hit a few news items that are hitting the NFL. AJ Brown of the New England Patriots set on NFL Network the other day. He dislocated his thumb during practice on Monday. But in Brown's words, and I quote, I'm not coming out of practice thumb out of place, you keep going, Brown said he dislocated the same thumb midway through a season wide oh miss. He played through it, so he thinks he's okay, so we'll go with it. Mike Evans, speaking of receivers, did not practice due to it is due to a quad strain. Adding to the fact that Ricky Piersall is gonna go on ir missed the entire year, and rookie DeShawn Stribbling is day to day with a hamstring injury.
Speaker 1: That's nearly every single wide receiver in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: My goodness, they are man, they are just beset with injuries at that position. One of the hottest names across the NFL through the few days is rookie Cyrus Allen, wide receiver, kind of do it all player from Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: He got hurt on Saturday, I believe it was.
Speaker 2: It was a shin, and it caused kind of some consternation on the Twitter verse about, well, why was he back there returning punch or doing special teams. This guy's your best receiver. He'd been here four days, a rookie, late round rookie. So yhow it looks like he's gonna be okay. He should come back to practice later this week. Xave, you're worthy for the Chiefs. Dealing with his shoulder sprain, he should come back as well, but start worrying about the injuries with Xavier Worthy.
Speaker 1: There have been a few.
Speaker 2: Texans announced the signing of Sioni Taki Taki, which I asked my man Tommy Toguy about that.
Speaker 1: Forgot that those who played together with Cleveland.
Speaker 2: So we'll have that interview with Tommy Toegya probably tomorrow or tomorrow after noon. Also going on throughout the league. Kobe Bryant sign with the Bears this weekend for a lot of money. We left Seattle, was playing safety for them after a career at corner at Kansas, goes to Seattle, wins the Super Bowl. The Seahawks got big time free agent money to go to the Bears. He will miss the next two months if they're suffering a hyper extended knee bone bruis and small fracture in practice this weekend. Kobe Bryant out two months plus there with Chicago. That is going to be a tough start for the Bears without him. Kenny Pickett, he will start. Do you guys realize we have real It's football, tackle football. It's preseason, so some people don't call it real. I call it real, real football. Thursday night, it's Hall of Fame Game Panthers Cardinals. Kenny Pickett remember him, first rounder twenty twenty two. He will start at quarterback and Thursday Night's Hall of Fame game against the Cardinals. He should back up Bryce Young this year. Bryce Young, as CJ did when we went there at twenty four, will not play more.
Speaker 1: Likely in that game.
Speaker 2: So can you pick Itt? Gonna start for the Carolina Panthers. Speaking of former Texans, CJ. Gardner Johnson suffered lower calfstrain. So we got hurt in training camp again. Don't know when they're gonna get him back, but CJ. Gardner Johnson hurt for the Buffalo Bills. We should see them week one. CJ will be right back here to play against the Texans week one of the season if he is obviously back from injury. All right, that's gonna do it for the show. What plenty for you tomorrow? Check out Harris Hits at Houston Texans dot com. They're up and ready for you. We'll see it tomorrow. As always, Go Texans.