Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: From the most trusted journalists at Comedy Central's America's only sorts for news.
Speaker 1: This is the daily shown with your homes Jordan Clever, Welcome today.
Speaker 3: We got so much to talk about because today is a big deal. It's the one hundred day of Donald Jonestown Trump's second term. We're at cruising altitude people. The seatbelt side is off and the pilot is aiming straight for the mountain side. So let's get right into it.
Speaker 4: There'll be a little disturbance.
Speaker 3: Yes, it has been one hundred days of Trump in the oval office. I mean that figuratively. Obviously, he spent lots of those days in the steam room at marl Lago. Picture it. I'll wait, can you see him listening? Picture it? Ooh yeah, yeah, ooh.
Speaker 1: Put it in your head. Put it in your head. Don't make me put up a picture.
Speaker 3: All right, I'm doing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, even hotter than your imagination. Uh, what were we talking about? Right, It's Trump's one hundredth day.
Speaker 5: I think Tuesday will mark President Trump's one hundredth day in office. President Trump's one hundredth day in office is coming up.
Speaker 6: This Wednesday.
Speaker 7: Tuesday's gonna mark President Trump's one hundredth day.
Speaker 6: Wednesday marks the one hundredth day on.
Speaker 5: Wednesday this week, it's actually Tuesday, Wednesday, April thirtieth, Tuesday Wednesday. If you count January twentieth is inauguration day is day one, then tomorrow is day one hundred.
Speaker 6: It's simple, Matthew. Just look at the calendar and countings.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, this is how divided we've become under Trump. We can't even agree on how counting works. Apparently Wednesday is now a partisan issue. I mean, it's hard to think of a better metaphor for how the first one hundred days have gone.
Speaker 1: But here's one.
Speaker 2: This morning, new questions about how a seventy million dollar US fighter jed fell off an aircraft carrier in the Red Sea, sinking to the bottom of the ocean.
Speaker 3: Oh no, no, no, America's doing great.
Speaker 6: We're doing great.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Sure, some of our fighter jets are kamakazi and themselves instead of serving under the headset regime. But these are fine. I will say. You know, this is good for the little mermaid. You know, think of how excited she was when she found a fork. Now she's got an F eighteen fighter, Jeni Flegs, I got wings baby, who You're part of my world now, bitch? So yeah, bit of a shock. But the good news is the military says the plane can be salvaged. They just need to get it out and PLoP it into a really big bowl of rice.
Speaker 1: Goodness not okay.
Speaker 3: So that was a bit awkward, and to put it even bigger damper on Trump's one hundred day celebration, our neighbor to the north celebrated last night in a very disrespectful.
Speaker 5: Way, taking on Trump and winning at the ballot box. Last night, Canada's Prime Minister, in Mark's Parnie, his Liberal party winning re election after a stunning turnaround.
Speaker 9: Voters were swayed by US tariffs and comments from President Trump about making Canada the fifty first state.
Speaker 10: I think who I voted for would be the best to take care of Trump, because Trump is, I'm sorry to say, an asshole.
Speaker 6: What have we done.
Speaker 3: We've turned Canada's cut as nanas into foul mouth explanitive machines. And I know, I'm sorry to say he's an asshole. Doesn't sound bad to us, but in Canada, she's Cardi B Cardi b C. You know British Columbia. Yes, thanks to Trump, the Liberal Party just pulled off historic comeback, winning all the major Canadian demographics hockey moms, hockey dads, hockey non binaries, hockey seniors, hockey, hockey players, and of course hot Ryans. But the winner of all this anti Trump energy was new Prime Minister Mark Carney, and his victory is all the more impressive when you see that he is not the most traditionally electric candidate.
Speaker 7: A system that will not perfect has helped deliver prosperity for a country for decades.
Speaker 1: Is over.
Speaker 7: We are over, We are over the shock of the American betrayal, but we should never forget the lessons we have to look out for ourselves.
Speaker 3: Wow, this lady was trying to be a hype man and he's like, man, please, this is a victory party.
Speaker 6: This is.
Speaker 3: No place for excitement. It was Mark Carney doing that the whole campaign. What do we do fight? No, no, no, quiet down. That was rhetorical, it's not what this is a boot hold. Look, let's step back for a minute, because here, on the one hundredth day, it might be worth taking stock of where we are because right now. All the vibes are terrifying. Trump is overreaching. He's breaking rules, he's ignoring judges, He's collecting all the infinity stones. He convinced the Pope to do the eat a hot dog without chewing challenge, resting piece, the lost fair and square Pope. Sorry, but if there's one silver lining to this dictatory one hundred days, is that when anyone pushes back, he folds like a cyber truck and a fender bender like this, Like, look at what happened with his tariff policy. He's been hyping up terriffs for decades. It was the centerpiece of his campaign last year. The most beautiful word in the entire dictionary of words is the word tariff.
Speaker 1: I love tariff.
Speaker 9: Tariff's more beautiful than love.
Speaker 1: Let's put God number one.
Speaker 3: Let's put religion number two, and then it's tariff.
Speaker 10: Tariff's tariff, tariff, My favorite word, tariff, tariff.
Speaker 3: He says tariff like I'm trying to take a bone out of his mouth.
Speaker 1: Traff.
Speaker 3: It took less than a week of market turmoil and suddenly Trump was like backxies.
Speaker 11: Tonight, the stunning about face from President Trump.
Speaker 1: People were jumping a little bit out of line. They were getting yippie, you know, hippie.
Speaker 3: I mean, what kind of autocrat bails at yippie. Putin wasn't like I was gonna annex CRIMEA, but then they gave me the stink eye, So dats danya look and tariffs are just the most famous example. He's been backtracking all over the place. Just for example, he unfired federal workers he had fired. He put back DEI web pages he had taken down. He uncanceled student visas that he canceled. He unnominated the attorney general he already nominated, and so on and so on and so on.
Speaker 6: At a certain point, you've.
Speaker 3: Got to ask, does Trump even want to be a dictator, because I've never heard a dictator called back sies this much and say what you want about Hitler, which is a which is a sentence. I immediately regret saying the guy stuck to his guns. It's mine comf not mine.
Speaker 6: Bad.
Speaker 3: But maybe maybe my favorite recent example is when he started suggesting he would illegally fire FED chairman Jerome Powell.
Speaker 5: The Trump administration is looking at possible ways to fire Jerome Powell.
Speaker 11: The President blasted Powell, calling him a major loser and saying Powell's termination cannot come fast enough.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right. Wow.
Speaker 3: Now when I first saw that, I thought, here we go, some dictator shit's about to go down. But then same old story. The markets got spooked, and then so did Trump. If you had a palettas and firewell you have any lands, you know whatsoever?
Speaker 1: Never did.
Speaker 3: Never did I love Jerome. I did say he's a major loser, but in a friendly way.
Speaker 1: Hey my loser, you know, no hard r.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's good that he backtracked, but it does make it a little awkward that he already called him an incompetent. It's like hearing someone say that guy is the worst dumbest moron I have ever had the displeasure of knowing my days are darker and sadder in their presence. Anyways, I do.
Speaker 8: Like the point is this?
Speaker 1: The point is?
Speaker 3: The point is Trump basically does the presidential version of posting a picture than deleting it if it doesn't get enough likes, which makes it all the more frustrating to see so many law firms and universities and companies bending the knee to Trump.
Speaker 1: They don't have to.
Speaker 3: Chances are if you push back, he'll take it back. Either that or I'll send you to El Salvador for a few years. But then you get a selfie with Christy Nomes, So it's worth it. When we come back, Desilidec prepares for the Doge apocalypse, they'll.
Speaker 7: Go away.
Speaker 3: All the back of the Daily Show. We all know how uncomfortable it is to listen to Elon Musk, But how bad is it to get fired by him? Does he lightex sat down with some people who found.
Speaker 9: Out if there's one thing Americans know about, it's waste. In fact, eighty nine percent of Americans agreed that our government is full of it. So Donald Trump empowered Elon Musk to create the Department of Government Efficiency or DOGE, and go through our government with a fine toothed chainsaw.
Speaker 1: The chaves all all of Buauquasit.
Speaker 9: To cut budgets and fire thousands of federal employees.
Speaker 3: Well, cutting down the size of government we have topload it sloppy.
Speaker 9: So I sat down with some of these fired bureaucrats to see if they felt any remorse for wasting taxpayer money. What would you say that you did for the government? Would it fall under waste, fraud, or abuse.
Speaker 10: So I was in charge of helping, essentially keep American consumers from getting ripped off by financial companies. Okay, so.
Speaker 9: All of the above or none of the above.
Speaker 11: I worked for the National Institutes of Health as an education and outreach specialist fraud, waste, or abuse.
Speaker 12: I thought I signed up to make sure that those things didn't happen, but apparently I was mistaken.
Speaker 9: I don't think I can put you down for any of those I guess fraud.
Speaker 2: My job as an Inspector General is actually to find ferret out waste, fraud, and abuse. I am a watchdog.
Speaker 9: You do have home monitor energy? I see it, little big watchdog energy. What kinds of things was your department blowing that taxpayer cheddar on yacht parties, balloon excursions. What was the caviar budget?
Speaker 11: I've never had caviar?
Speaker 6: Is that like the egg stuff?
Speaker 9: So you're saying no caviar Wednesdays? Okay? But even without bottomless caviare the salaries of these government workers must account for a large part of our bloated federal budget, right, I think the.
Speaker 1: Reality is that they're getting wealthy tax payer expense.
Speaker 9: How much of the federal budget is spent on federal employees four percent. Are you sure you don't mean ninety four percent four percent? Four percent? Yes, you're going to say a much larger number.
Speaker 12: A lot of people do.
Speaker 9: By eliminating your position, how much money was saved for the taxpayers.
Speaker 2: The taxpayers ain't save any money by eliminating mind. The money that we have under my leadership actually returned is over thirty billion dollars to the treasury.
Speaker 9: I'm no mathematician, but that sounds pretty good.
Speaker 10: If we've gotten twenty one billion dollars back in restitution and relief to Americans who are scammed by their financial companies. And it's even better because we don't cost taxpayers a single dollar.
Speaker 9: That's right, these guys. We're hunting down fraud, waste, and abuse way back when Elon still had his original personality. So you were the original Doge.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't like to call what the IG's do. What Doji is doing IG's work by standards.
Speaker 9: Is there any part of you that's a little upset because an immigrant actually did steal your job?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 9: No, why should we fund a National Institute of Health.
Speaker 11: The things that in h studies? You know, diabetes, aging, mental health, addiction, and it's literally the epicenter of biomedical research for the entire planet. I do think there are ways that we could cut back on inefficiency, but you don't use a chainsaw to do that. You use a scalpel.
Speaker 9: This might sound crazy, but is the Department of Government efficiency not that efficient? Speaking of ineffective, some of the things.
Speaker 1: That I say will be incorrect and should be corrected.
Speaker 9: Elon was quickly forced to hit control Z on many of his layoffs, which is the shortcut for undue and not the name of one of his kids.
Speaker 12: So the administration decided to put us on administrative leave, and then they just started another round of firing. But since I got fired once, I already I was not able to get back into my laptop, so I don't know if I have a letter or that.
Speaker 9: So you got fired and then they essentially sent you a text that said you up, and you responded yes, and then they.
Speaker 10: Ghosted you yep.
Speaker 9: So are you saying that this government is being run by boys? Eventually, it also doesn't help that Elon keeps revising down the amount of waste he's finding.
Speaker 1: I think we can do at least two trillion trillion dollars half a trillion dollars one hundred and fifty billion.
Speaker 9: Dollars classic boy behavior, over promising and under delivering. Do you believe that the intention behind doze is to actually cut necessary spending?
Speaker 10: If you wanted to take over all of your competitor's business, one way you could do that is you could go to every financial regulator, every government agency that is sensitive data from the private sector. You could suck that data into some sort of AI large language model, and then you could use it to undercut all of American industry.
Speaker 9: Do you think there's any chance that Elon is doing something good with all of our data, Like maybe with having access to all that data, he'll finally understand the mysteries of the human heart.
Speaker 4: No, well, they've removed the watchdogs, and the danger of that is that Congress doesn't have a transparent way of knowing what is happening within these agencies and departments.
Speaker 9: It's almost like they've set out on this journey to find fraud, waste, and abuse, when really the fraud, waste and abuse was inside them the whole time.
Speaker 5: By a turn, Elon.
Speaker 9: Returns to his day job and estimated two hundred and eighty thousand government employees could be fired. But despite all the chaos and destruction, there are some things that chainsaw can't take away. After experiencing all of this, would you trust the government again?
Speaker 12: Honestly, yes you would.
Speaker 6: I would.
Speaker 12: They need people that actually care about the American people.
Speaker 9: So you would go back. But after a healthy boundary talk.
Speaker 3: You yeah, thank you do we come back to Catherine Mar we'll be joining me on the show Don't Go Away. Welcome bout to Dallas. Now my guest today is the president and CEO of NPR. Please welcome Catherine Marr.
Speaker 1: That welcomed.
Speaker 6: Thank here, good to be here. Happy one hundred days.
Speaker 3: I know a lot has happened in the last one hundred days. As head of NPR.
Speaker 6: You were recently.
Speaker 3: Asked to testify at the Anti American Airwaves Hearing.
Speaker 6: That's right.
Speaker 3: What kind of anti American shenanigans are you getting up to over at NPR.
Speaker 8: Let's see reporting on the impact of the administration on disabled folks, reporting on veterans issues, and the revocation of a program that was designed to keep veterans in their homes following COVID nineteen. Tiny desks concert, Yeah, that was it.
Speaker 3: At some point, Americans deserve big desks, and you guys really have been pushing this tiny desk.
Speaker 6: Narrative for so so low efficiency.
Speaker 3: Efficiency, right, I mean, did you ever imagine that you would be having to defend yourself in front of Marjorie Taylor Green and trying to defend the whole purpose of NPR. Was that on your dream board?
Speaker 6: My dream yes, it was.
Speaker 8: My dream board was to advocate for NPR in any way that I can in all public media. So if I'm going to go in front of Marjorie Tayler Green, I'm going to tell her exactly why we're so so valuable and beneficial to the country.
Speaker 3: I saw a picture here, we have we have a picture here. I want to know what was going through your mind and were you were you asking for help from a higher beam? What was what was going through your head?
Speaker 6: Then? I think I was just trying to sit down.
Speaker 3: You're used to tiny desks like this is just too large. This is too large.
Speaker 6: So when you get in there, it's a little bit like Mount Olympus.
Speaker 8: They're very very far away and very high up, and you're very small and on the ground, and so you're just like that thing of looking up. It is actually kind of all inspiring. I know that people are sort of cynical about Congress at times, but I wasn't all I mean, I'm sitting there. This is the seat of our legislative branch, and it really was an honor to be able to go in.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's you know, NPR, PBS is often it's part of the conversation. I think there's been a lot of push for many many years to take funding away, But in like twenty twenty five, the criticism from the right is what do we need public funds to go towards NPR for?
Speaker 1: What is that argument?
Speaker 3: People are getting their news from all sorts of people. Most people to get their news from the TikTok feed from their neighbor, so why do they need their taxes to go to a place like NPR.
Speaker 8: Well, there's also a very big difference between disseminating the news and gathering the news, and what we do is we do news gathering. It allows for people to then be able to come in they're spending their commentary on it. So I have no problem with TikTok influencers or other people re sharing that news. I think that that's actually great, but we want them to have credible sources of news to begin with, to be able to base that work on. But more importantly, I think the big misconception is that this money goes.
Speaker 6: To NPR or to PBS. The reality is.
Speaker 8: That the vast majority of funds in public broadcasting resources go directly to local stations. So I'm talking about I did a little research. I'm talking about Wright, I get it. I think it's wm uk WKAR or the stations where you grew up exactly, and so stations like that they get a significant part of their funding comes from public funds, and that really matters, especially when you get into rural parts of the country. So I was in Asheville, North Carolina recently, as we all know, devastating damage and Hurricane Helene.
Speaker 6: They have enormous.
Speaker 8: Radio towers that broadcast across that topography because it's like this, you know, it's that Falacian Mountains, same thing's true eastern Kentucky. You get out to the Rocky Mountains, same thing is true. Huge spats of the country that's expensive to maintain. We cover ninety nine point seven percent of the country with our broadcast coverage, and that allows for Americans to have access to news even in places where news deserts are growing, where disasters happen. That's what your federal funds go to. They go to your local station, they go to your local reporter.
Speaker 3: So what does that look like? So, I mean the threat right now, the threat right now is they take a billion dollars away from NPR, PBS over the next couple of years, Correct.
Speaker 8: Corporation for Public Broadcasting, NPRPBS and all of public media.
Speaker 6: What does that look like?
Speaker 3: If that goes through, they take a billion dollars away, what happens?
Speaker 6: It's not great?
Speaker 8: I really I think that Americans need to be aware that it is going to be harmful to the system. Right, so, a lot of us probably grew up on kids television, PBS kids. It's I mean, it is a crown jewel of American public broadcasting programming. And whether you think about your history with mister Rogers, whether you're thinking about Sesame Street, whether you're thinking about more contemporary programming, that is so important and that is a threat under threat. When you think about your local radio stations, those may not be able to provide the same sorts of services. And the first thing that's going to go, I have to tell you, is going to be local reporters jobs. We have news deserts. Twenty percent of Americans live in a place where they have no local news coverage other than public radio. What that means is that when we lose public funding, we are no longer going to be able to cover things like what matters in the state house. We're not going to be able to cover natural disasters. We're not going to be able to cover issues of local politics, issues of what's happening in your local sports team. We know that the existence of local news and public radio in particular contributes to lower rates of polarization, higher rates of civic engagement, and higher rates of civic trust. This is foundational infrastructure for our country. Even when we disagree, This is the sort of thing that can start to peel some of those disagreements and bring us back together.
Speaker 3: Now, it's it's interesting, though we folks on the right are complaining there's a liberal bias in places like NPR, and we're in a politically charged time and you have to as the CEO, you have to walk what that line is and appeal to to all of America. But I also fear from the left, they feel like moving towards the right looks like capitulation. In some ways, I feel like you're between a rock and a hard place, Like how do you balance this. I don't see a situation where there's an articulation of like of fairness that both sides can agree upon the right. The right asks you to be less progressive or less liberally biased, and I think any actions towards that will be seen as strict capitulation from the left. Is that where you're at.
Speaker 6: I mean, I won't lie it is. We are always in a tough spot.
Speaker 8: But what I love about our mission and our mandate is that it's actually our responsibility to try to serve everyone. No other commercial media organization has that same mandate. They can hyper serve a particular audience, and that contributes to polarization. It's actually our job to bring folks together. What I see this as is, look, our reporting, our fact based reporting, is absolutely down the line. I stand by our journalism one thousand percent. We recognize that we have some of the best journalists in the business, and they go out there and they find stories. Whether they're reporting on Congress or whether they're reporting on issues of climate change, desertification, water.
Speaker 6: Rights, etc. They're doing great reporting.
Speaker 8: I think what we need to be able to do is to bring more voices onto our air and have folks in conversation about the policies that are being made in this country today. We need to be able to hear from policy makers from across the spectrum. So we invite people from every party onto the air, but not everyone comes. I don't think that it's a question per se of us being biased in terms of our actual reporting. What I do think is that we're missing some voices, and so I would just take this opportunity to make extend again an invitation to conservative voices who feel like they're not being heard. I also I think that we can't shirk from our responsibility to serve all Americans. And so another criticism that we see is that you know, we're too woke, but the reality is that this is a very diverse nation and our mandate under the Public Broadcasting Act is to serve everyone, including the unserved and the underserved, and we can't pull away from that either. We have to be able to represent America in all of its diversity, even when that makes us sometimes uncomfortable. That means expanding the tent to be as big a tent as possible, rather than sort of moving the tent around the country to accommodate different groups.
Speaker 3: You have you thought about, I mean, if you you really want to expand that tent, have you thought about rebranding? Like Terry Gross presents the American man cast ear hole? Like really, like let Terry lean into it, you know.
Speaker 6: Imagining Terry in a naughty pine basement, you.
Speaker 3: Know exactly just just sip and burbin, you know, push and ivermectin every now and then, Like, is Terry interested in this?
Speaker 6: Come on?
Speaker 8: I couldn't tell you what Terry's drake of choices. Maybe it is Bourbon we would have that sounds like a great interview.
Speaker 3: This is this is get to the bottom of this NPR and the people want to know. Uh, Katherine, before you leave, it seems only right for us to give you a daily show tote bag. I know this is this is currency. I believe this is a This is considered the bible in the NPR world. So I wanted to pass it along.
Speaker 6: I borter these for groceries at this point is that right?
Speaker 3: Okay, very nice, Katherine mar everybody. We're gonna take a cut.
Speaker 5: That shop.
Speaker 3: But before we go, my new fingers the poll special is coming out soon. It's called MAGA The Next Generation, where I'll be investigating the rise of young Trump voters and premierees May nineteenth that I gotta tell you it's a banger. Be sure to check it out.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow night.
Speaker 3: Daisy Lydek will be continuing our coverage of Trump's first one hundred days. Do not miss it now here. It is your moment.
Speaker 13: Is that there's always in any new administration, it's a it's a roller coaster. There's some some bumps along the road. The early initial people they have an emotional reaction sometimes for the big changes. But what they're seeing and what the real polling is showing, is that they understand that we're headed somewhere.
Speaker 1: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 13: Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount plus
Speaker 6: Paramount Podcasts