Speaker 1: Stramp on the boots and scrape up the knuckles. Hol On ahead, he got jacked.
Speaker 2: This is the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert.
Speaker 3: Harry's gonna score touchdown. Slim to the ground by Buddha Banker. Like a torpedo, he keeps flying into the backfield.
Speaker 2: The rage is brought to you by santan Ford and Gilbert right on the Price, right on the corner of the Santan two to two Freeway in val Vista, Seek your Ticket to Great Seats, and by Arizona Cardinals Podcast. Visit Azycardinals dot Com, Slash Podcast.
Speaker 1: A Red Seats, Rising Up.
Speaker 4: Timbetu, Rising Vision, Flurry Rage, Dick Ober, Here's Paul CALVICI I'm ready. I'm one hundred percent ready.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you I'm ready. And Ron Woolfley, it doesn't get any better than that.
Speaker 2: Leash the Fire.
Speaker 4: By low Sell High words to live by twenty years ago. If only we'd all bought Stock and Apple, Amazon and the NFL Combine I did pull two thousand and four. Ron Wolfley, Snarky Guy, was the first year the NFL Combine was actually on TV. And you remember the reaction, Oh you can't televise the combine the underwear Olympics. That's never gonna work. Ridiculous. Hello, this year, more than fifty hours of NFL network combine coverage on multiple platforms, Oh my goodness, and all next weekend, fact Wolf, just go ahead and schedule your next weekend Thursday through Sunday. Okay, right there in the NFL network and streaming wherever you want it.
Speaker 1: You'll get it.
Speaker 4: NonStop coverage of the NFL Combine after the first year where it lasted one hour, one grand total of an hour, and now boom, here we go with the combine El grande.
Speaker 1: Paulie. You do know that I went to the very first combine. No, yes, I did I know? You went to the combine. We're in Tempee, the very first combine, the very first combine.
Speaker 5: Was your year?
Speaker 1: Was my year coming out? It was, faul I did not know it was nineteen eighty five, Yes, it was coming out, Yes, nineteen eighty five. Yes, if memory serves, yes, it was because it was the fall. It was the spring of that year right there, and then the draft, of course happened. So yes, nineteen eighty five, Pauli, I was at the very first combine in Tempe, Arizona.
Speaker 4: Well, it's the Big Red Rage. Our feature. Guests will join us momentarily. Drew Terrell, the Cardinals passing game coordinator, wide receivers coach, fresh off being the offensive coordinator in the East West Shrine Game for the East team. We've got plenty of questions to ask Drew. Therell coming up, but first let's get into this combine.
Speaker 1: A little bit.
Speaker 4: So Well, if you've been there and done that, this your three hundred and twenty one players. By the way, do you know the school sending the most prospects to the combine as a matter of fact, Paul, I don't Michigan with eighteen?
Speaker 1: Okay, there eighteen guys Michigan. What about Bama?
Speaker 4: They have like ten or eleven. You dub a second with thirteen. The local schools you have as four, ASU and West Virginia and col all have a single play.
Speaker 1: By the way, you had to throw that in West Virginia. You had to throw that in.
Speaker 4: Just to rub it in. Holy Cross is sending two. Just to let you know, Cardinals have eleven picks in this year's draft. They have six in the first ninety and earlier. This week on the Red Seaver Report, Rob Frederckson, former first round pick of the Raiders and former NFL Combine attendee. Here he was talking just about what's at stake for all the players.
Speaker 6: It's the biggest job interview of your life.
Speaker 1: And for these guys that are.
Speaker 6: Lucky enough to be invited to the combine, this is their chance a shine, and it's it's not just on the field, but more of it is done in the hotel lobby, conference rooms and in the meeting rooms with the coaches and the general managers. Players, you know, going in there for one on one, you know. So there's a lot that goes into it from the mental aspect.
Speaker 4: So it's the known versus the unknown, right you can see, you can you can go ahead and you can have all the data on all the measurables. Yes, but they want to know about the person beyond the player. I would surmise.
Speaker 1: PAULI, it's so important that you go into the combine with your eyes on the tape, if you know what I mean. These guys, these scouts that go to the combine, of course there's so many of them. They have watched reel upon reel, well not reels. They've they've watched a lot of tape. Let's put it that way. Maybe eighty five was reel A ton of a ton of tape on these guys going in, they've watched, they've seen it all. You can never forget about the tape as a scout, as a general manager, as a coach, you can never forget about the tape. I think the approach you should have going to the combine is, let it confirm what you see on tape. Let it confirm that there's a lot of guys that to go to the combine and suddenly they look, Oh my goodness, they run grade forty times, their vertical is incredible, they bench thirty reps, whatever it may be. They do everything that is great. If it doesn't add up to what you see on tape, you gotta pass. And I think there's a lot of scouts and a lot of jams who forget to do that.
Speaker 4: All right, here's many Austin for it last year because he's yet to address the media this year about the upcoming combine in the draft, but here's what he had to say. The Cardinals GM just about what's most important from the talent evaluation and the player personnel aspect.
Speaker 7: The most important thing is the medical evaluations and having our doctors and having our trainers getting a chance to examine the players and just find out where they are physically. And really the second most important thing that I get out of this is to face to FaceTime when we interview with the players, both in the formal settings and the informal meetings that our coaches are doing. And then we'll get into the workouts as well. Those are important, but I'd put the medical in the interviews up above the on field workouts.
Speaker 4: Very interesting because I think you can take the Cardinals two third round selections last year as a case study as an example of each instance. Number one, Michael Wilson the Medicals three straight years at Stanford. This season was ended by injury season end injuries each of three years. And then you had Garrett Williams. He also was coming off an ACL injury. But for Garrett Williams, remember what he said at the Big Red Rage and our jim O Mahunterro found the bite where the phone call that was made from the Cardinals war room in round three last year to Garrett Williams and they cited the meeting that the combine the fifteen minute player interview and just how they vibed, how they syncd up, how they were so. In fact, I had a chance recently in an event to ask Mani Aspboard and Jonathan Gannett about that, and they said, he was the very last interview on a day in Indianapolis and they were dragging they had done one hundred interviews. Oh my goodness, ten twelve hours. Who's the last guy. Oh, it's Garret Williams. And he comes in and blew them away. They went from slumped in their seat done the edge of their seat and they said wow. And when he left the room after his fifteen minutes, they looked at each other said move him up the board. Yeah, And once again, poully, I'll say this right now, they had the tape in their back of their head too, is there interviewing this kid. They didn't just move them up the board because you know, wow, what a nice kid, what a great kid, what great answers?
Speaker 1: He was good. They moved him up the board because they already had the tape in their head. And I think that is really what I'm talking about right here. The medicals, no doubt, about it. MONI that, of course, and the interviews that's great, but so much of the time, and I think I think the last few years, maybe the last three to five years, the NFL, this new age football was coming into the National Football League, where it was the spread and it was the spread, and all of a sudden, man, you know, it's not nearly as important that these guys be as physical as they once were. Now it's important that they all can run. And that really took over, not just not just here locally, but also across the National Football League. A lot of GMS forgot because the game was changing. Now the pendulum is swinging back again to where you've got to blend the old and the new. And you better be physical. You better be physical, you better be strong, you better be able to tackle, you better be able to block. The line of scrimmage once again is back in vogue. And because of that, Paul, I really do believe again the combine. Yeah, it's important, but not as important as the tape.
Speaker 4: Look, the big question in the NFL right here, right now is what's the future of Justin Fields. Is he staying in Chicago? Are the Bears trading Moway, Are they taking Caleb Williams. Even justin Fields today came and said, man, I'd just like to know, you know, my future is blown in the wind right now. It's tough are they gonna trade me or not? And he's probably not gonna know for a little while. For the Cardinals, I think the big question right now is are they really going to go receiver at number four? Because we have yet another mock draft Daniel Jeremiah NFL dot Com two point zero, and he has a Cardinals going receiver and it's not even Marvin Harrison Junior.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 4: Caleb Williams number one, Drake May number two New England and his mock draft is going veteran at quarterback. They take Marvin Harrison Junior and Moleak Neighbors goes to the Cardinals at number four.
Speaker 1: Do you buy it? Ron Wilheon, Well, first of all, Marvin Harrison Junior, you're telling me he's gone at number three? Right? Yes? Yes? Yes? So you know what, Yeah, I would tend to say, Okayleak Neighbors maybe a bit of a scratch. Some people think he's a top ten talent for the most part, and I certainly haven't watched all this tape on him at all that I've seen some highlights of them. That's what I've seen. I know he's wildly talented right now, Yeah, I could possibly see that because the Arizona Cardinals, they do have a need for a wide receiver. Man, that the thing, the best thing you can do to help Trey McBride as a tight end is get a wide receiver that is a number one wide receiver, a true number one wide receiver, and bring him in. So okay, Mylake Neighbors explosive, no doubt about that. I love the kid. But having said that, I certainly hope Marvin Harrison Junior is there.
Speaker 4: And there are plenty of mock drafts they have the Cardinals taking Marvin Harrison Junior at number four overall, but like Lance Zerline has Marvin Harrison Junior going number three, and then the Cardinals selecting Roma Doonzay. Yeah, number four, Yes, another receiver. I just don't see that happening. I just don't.
Speaker 1: You don't.
Speaker 4: I do not. If Marvin Irrison Junior goes three, then a quarterback falls to four, and I think the Cardinals.
Speaker 5: Cash that in.
Speaker 1: I think you're right on that Pauli and.
Speaker 4: They continue to build from the inside.
Speaker 1: Out, and I'd love to see that too.
Speaker 4: Once again by low Sell High. We're talking about the NFL Draft the combine. Last year at Kansas City, there were over three hundred and twelve thousand fans who attended the draft and the TV ratings who were up twelve percent versus twenty twenty two. It just keeps growing and expanding. Joined the Cardinals season ticket priority list at accardinals dot com slash priority list, all right passing game coordinator, Wide receivers coach Drew Urrell joining us next on the Big Red Rage presented by Santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 3: Snap to Murray, Let's coming urry backing up close into the end zone, middle of the end zone, pulled in by Wilson for a touchdown.
Speaker 8: I told you all from day one, you know, I watched his Senior Bowl and I was like, yeah, the kid knows, you know, he knows what he's doing. I can tell you know. And then just obviously he had zero catches two weeks in a row, and that's not you know again, they're not a real representation of you know what I think we could beat. Now we'll get a full off season on our bilt. You know, I think next year, you know, Michael have a big year.
Speaker 4: Of course, Michael's gonna the big year. He wore the same number at Stanford as our guest tonight on the Big Red Rage presented by Santanford in Gilbert. You didn't think I remember that, did you? Drew Terrell, Cardinals passing game coordinator, wide receivers coach brush off being the offensive coordinator in the East West Shrine Game.
Speaker 5: Drew, welcome, thanks for having me. Good to be back on.
Speaker 4: And the old old Michael Wilson thing. So you wore number four and then he wore number four at Stanford and uh okay, all right, so there you go.
Speaker 5: He wore it better than me.
Speaker 1: And we never asked you though quickly why did you wear number four? Did you pick that or did they just give it to you?
Speaker 5: So originally I wanted a single digit. I was a smaller body guy I needed I couldn't be out there in eighty seven when I first got to Stanford, I was number nine, which I shared with Richard Sherman. And then there was a game where Sherm and I were both on the on the same special teams unit, and they had to change my number mid game to four, and so I was just like, why don't I mean, I'll just keep four, Like it's a single digit. It's closer to my high school number. I was two in high school. So I was like, I might as well just keep four. And they're like, yeah, good idea, you can have four.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 4: So that is a that is a collection of personalities. Richard Sherman, Yeah, Jim Harbaugh, Andrew Luck true or false? Andrew Luck had a photographic memory or not?
Speaker 1: Come on?
Speaker 4: Did he really?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that dude's lights out, top notch athlete, human being, person, guy, teammate, He's top notched.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Drew, we got a lot of things we want to talk to you about and ask you about, of course, but we got to get some things out of the way as well. The PAC twelve, what is going on? I mean, here, you are a Stanford boy. The PAC twelve is no more.
Speaker 5: Hurts my soul.
Speaker 1: It does, right.
Speaker 5: I grew up a die hard Pack twelve fan. I grew up a diehard Arizona State fan. To this day, I have Rose Bull nineteen ninety six PAC ten Championship in Rose bull photos in my house to this day. Pat Tillman fan, Jake Plummer fan, you know, knew all the players, knew where they were from, die Hard and then to see what it's I mean, what it to become is is unfortunate. You know, it's sucks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, bums me out too.
Speaker 4: Chandler Hamilton alum. Drew Trell is our guest. Okay, And we might get to the Jim Harbaughs stories a little bit later, but let's let's get to the East West Shrine game. You're fresh off that you spent the whole week out there. Just tell us about the experience and what was it luck to be the offensive coordinator?
Speaker 5: Man, it was awesome, you know, selfishly for me it was. It was a great opportunity, you know, development opportunity for me to you know, call plays, you know, have to coordinate an entire offense, you know, lead an entire unit. You know, coach some things I haven't you know, I don't normally coach on a day to day basis. Talk the old line about combinations and you know, tight ends about combinations and you know, backs track in the running game and kind of do all those things in front of the group. Which was awesome. You know, they're not things like I said that I do in my day to day, but it was good, you know, script and practice, you know, coaching the rest of the coaches on what I wanted to look like. You know, all those things are you know, great practice for me because you know, I have aspirations in this league to be a coordinator and be a head coach. And you know, the more you can get out of your comfort zone and kind of do things that you haven't done, prepare you for those opportunities. So you know, it was a great opportunity for me. You know, I thought it was outstanding and I took a lot of things from it.
Speaker 1: Drew of all those things you just mentioned right there that go into being an offensive coordinator, what was the most difficult for you? What did you like doing the most? And what was the most the more difficult?
Speaker 5: Man, that's a great question. I think the thing I liked the most, well, two things. I liked speaking in front of the entire unit about run game pass game protection.
Speaker 1: So you liked dress offensive year.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was just to be honest, it was something that I was, you know, nervous about going into it because again, It's not something I do in the day to day. You know, I talked to the past game guys, talk to the quarterback every now and then. You know, those are things that have come natural. But you know, in front of the entire unit where you're addressing, you know, certain things. At first, I was like, man, I you know, I hope this goes well. And then it was literally I told my wife, it was literally like ten seconds before the meeting started. I went in this like zone of like, this is what I do, Like I'm I'm a coach, like I and.
Speaker 1: The confidence started going, I know what I'm talking about. I'm going to get up there and tell these guys what I'm talking about.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was that was, you know, a good experience.
Speaker 1: I really enjoyed that.
Speaker 5: I really enjoyed the process of calling the game, and you know, all the all the things that go into that. It's you know, it's tough. It's not an easy task. You know. People it's easy to sit on your couch and be like, oh I did call that player. They should have done this.
Speaker 4: Every fan I'm taking call place every fan does.
Speaker 5: But there's there's truly so many things that go into it. I'm not going to get into all those things right now, But there's before each call comes out of your mouth, there's a million things in your mind about you know, what you need to do. What effect is this play call going to have on the next one? You know, I am I getting the right guy involved? Oh I shouldn't have called this with this guy in there, or I should have got somebody else in there, or I hope our quarterback is comfortable with this. It's you know, it's literally you know a plethora of things that just hit your brain all at once that you've got to kind of calm your mind down and make, you know, educated decisions in the moment. So I would say that was, you know, probably one of the more difficult things but also more difficult, but also something I enjoyed a lot.
Speaker 4: Right, we got Drew Terrell, Cardin's passing game coordinator and wide receivers coach on So now you move on to the draft. Well, first off, you got to see these guys not only in the game, but more importantly during the practice week.
Speaker 1: How valuable is.
Speaker 5: That, you know, I, you know, I think it's extremely valuable, especially uh, you know, throughout the week of practice you could to interact with these guys in meetings and see what the day to day with them would be like. You know, there's a million more practice and meeting opportunities throughout the course of a year than games. So you know, just being in those situations with them and you know, coaching them and see how they respond to certain coaching styles and you know, if they can go implement things you're teaching throughout the week onto the field, and then just see how competitive they are. You know, you get the practice periods, the competitive one on one period, the seven on seven's, the team drills, watch guys go compete and see how they respond to all these situations. So I think it's you know, to have an up close and personal look. I think it's very valuable.
Speaker 1: So did you have to write any reports for Monty asin Ford in the scouting department? Yeah? All these guys.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so are actually our head coach that was on my team, Richard high Tower at the Bears. He he did a great job of compiling. So basically all the position coaches on either side went through and crafted notes on everybody in their position and then HT collected it from both sides. So I sent that to those guys that just emailed the PDFs or whatever of everybody's notes.
Speaker 4: That's how the Cardinals stumbled on Michael Wilson to a large degree last year at the Senior Bowl. So Drew Durral is our guests, when you film of college receivers, what do you look at first? Or what's most valuable to you? What do you what are you looking for when you watch film? Because there's all these names of all these big time prospects associated with the Cardinals at number four, I don't want to get into specific names, So I'm curious what you look for and evaluating a college receiver.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think you know something that I that I look for is play speed? Does a guy play fast? And that there's there's such a difference between play speed and time speed. You can see guys that play with confidence and they're trying to get to a spot as fast as they can without any wasted movement. They've got no fear of what the defense is doing. They're trying to get on edges and go fast and get from a to be as fast as possible. I think that really shows up on tape and with Mike that was something that showed up on tape. You know, when he's impressed, he's getting on an edge and he's getting to where he's supposed to get too fast, because I think that that trait always translates to this level. Ball skills, I think is a huge thing. Does Does a guy have the ability to pluck the ball away from his body with other bodies around them? I think that's another thing that translates to this level. These guys are used to, you know, especially if they're top players, They're used to having a great deal of separation in college, and when they get to the NFL, guys are gonna be that much closer, closer, and you know, it's it's not often that you've got three yards of space on a coral route or a comeback like, there's gonna be somebody there, So can you extend and make plays away from your body? If a guy shows that he can do that on his college tape, that's a skill that transfers to this level.
Speaker 1: Does a wide receiver in the year twenty twenty four of our lord need to be a tough guy to play in the NFL?
Speaker 5: Yes, I think they do. I think you've got to have, you know, a great deal of mental toughness, probably more so than physical toughness. And I think, like if you're looking at a guy playing inside the numbers, I think if he can pluck the ball away from his body with people caving in on him, he's mentally tough as well as physically tough because he knows what's going on around him. But he's making the conscious decision if I'm cackling this ball. But I do think toughness is, you know, both physical and mental. And you know obviously the mental you don't there's elements of it, like I said, you can see on tape, but you've got to dig a little deeper to yeah, and press guy's buttons a certain way over the process to see exactly where their mental toughness is.
Speaker 4: And Michael Wilson made a lot of contested catches in his rookie year that definitely stood out. You know, it all stood out when Kyler Murray returned to the offense. And we can go through all the numbers, but I mean, you know, points per game Cardinals went from twenty eighth to thirteenth, net yards per game, twenty six to ninth, big plays in the passing game from thirtieth to fourteenth in the league. So what did you see, especially those last three games when it seemed like Kyler Rees started to get in sync with the receivers and just the entire offense. Are you what are your thoughts based on the end of last year going into this season.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think you see a kid. You know, when Kyler came back, you see a kid that's extremely talented. His confidence grew and grew every week. He's a guy that you can feel his energy on the field. A great reference that I heard a coach I can't I can't even remember who said it, but it actually came when I was in Carolina when we had Cam Newton, and they said, that's the type of guy that tilts the field, like you can feel the energy going towards him whenever he's on the field. And Kyler has that type of charisma about him where you know, you look out there at times and he has a look in his eye like he you trust that we're gonna go score points in that like that last drive against Philly, you knew we were going down and scoring to win the game. Because he just has that type of energy. He tilts the field. Everybody feels it everybody gravitates towards him. Guys want to play well for him. He has that type of war about him. And I think, you know, the more confidence he got in what he was being asked to do, you know, and the guys he had around him, I think you saw some of those things take off, and you know, hopefully that that that transcends into the offseason into next year, and I think it will.
Speaker 1: I think there's no doubt about it. This offense was evolving and getting so much better at the end of the season, in particular the last four or five games of the season. I thought you could really see that. What do you think is the next step for the Arizona Cardinals offense? What do you think that might look like?
Speaker 8: Drew?
Speaker 5: I think you know it's gonna you mean, the next step in terms.
Speaker 1: Of what developing an offense and where it might grow and evolve.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think we've just got to get you know, the continuity of Kyler being out there. You know, you get a guy back in the middle of the season and guys are kind of in a groove, and then there's a quarterback change and you've all there. There's kind of a you know, a reacclimation and an adjustment phase that has to take place. I think we can we're able now to not get started from the foundation level, but kind of get into some graduate work in terms of the nuances of the offense. And you know, you're not talking so much about day one problems, but you're talking about week ten problems. You know, maybe different defenses you face. And I think there'll be a natural evolution to the plays that you know he's comfortable with and plays that we've got time on task of. I think all that will be, you know, ever evolving and ever growing. But you know, to answer your question, I think just the continuity of him being under center and the guys around him knowing what he expects and you know, what his thought process is on certain concepts and things like that.
Speaker 4: Cardinals pass game coordinator Wide receivers coach Drew Terrell here on the Big Red Rage Rondel Moore. Would you learn about Rondel Moore last year and how big is this upcoming season for Rondelle Moore.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's you know, like like all our guys, it's gonna be you know, a huge year of growth for Rondell just because again he he's getting used to our coaching styles, he's getting used to his style of offense. He's getting used to, you know, the things we're asking him to do, and I expect, you know, him to make a big jump. You know, there's there's elements of the passing game and things like that, you know, we would like him to improve on. And he's worked his, you know, his butt off over the course of the year to improve certain aspects of his game. And you know, I only anticipate he'll continue to grow. You know, he's a young player who's Uh, the one thing about Royn Dall is he wants to be good. You know, he wants to be, you know, a top notch player in this league. And you know he's he's not afraid to put the work in. You know, if Ron Delle you go down there in the weight room, Uh, he's in there almost every day, you know, even this time of year in February. So he's willing to put the work in. And you know he'll he'll continue to grow and evolved.
Speaker 1: We only got a few seconds he a coach. But the best drill at the combine for a wide receiver, what is it? Man?
Speaker 5: I don't know if I can answer that.
Speaker 1: Think about that. It's okay, Yeah, the best. It's something that you like to watch for a wide receiver.
Speaker 5: I like to watch the gauntlet drill because I think you can see how guys tracking, how effortlessly they plucked the football. I think that's a that's a good one.
Speaker 1: All right. I like that.
Speaker 4: And you were recruit at Stanford, and Jim Harbaugh, who had already offered you, turn to you and said, what when you're a high school player while you're watching them practice, you think.
Speaker 5: You got what it takes to make this team. I think you can play here. I think so, coach.
Speaker 4: I think so worked out pretty well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Andrew really enjoyed it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thanks, really, you buddy, and we really look forward to this season. By the way, Trey McBride anointed Wolf the run game blocking quality control coordinator or something like that, because Wolf's so into forget it. We were talking passing here in this edition, so that's good. And we continue with a big red rage resented by Santan forward in Gilbert.
Speaker 3: Second down and ten on the twenty six of Arizona, Strout takes the shot gun stack dropped straight back minus fire side picked off had the eighteen yard line by Antonio Hamilton. He jumped the round, jumped in front of the wide receiver and CJ. Stroud has thrown four picks today than he had through the first nine games of the season. And the Cardinals have the ball back on their eighteen yard line.
Speaker 1: Oh, they dialed it up as well. You gotta be kidding me. They came after CJ. Stroud, Antonio Hamilton, man on man on the outside against Tank Dell have undercut the out run and may the PI.
Speaker 4: Three picks by the Cardinals in that game.
Speaker 2: C J.
Speaker 4: Stroud threw a total of five all season. Remarkable, not just the Cardinals defensive takeaways in that game, but the entire rookie season. For your NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year, see J. Stroud, Antonio Hamilton one of many free agents for the Cardinals as they continue to pave the way into the future. Monty Assin fort with his first full off season and now he knows what he needs, knows what he has and we'll see what that means going forward. It is a big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert. Thanks again to Drew Terrell. Cardinals passing game coordinator wide receivers coach and we'll see Hollywood Brown obviously a big name on this list. Ron Wolfley and I think we'd all agree he was much better on film than he was in the box score. Maybe, just maybe that actually works through the Cardinal's advantage in the off season to some degree. Do you think maybe he's a sleeper, he's a bit of an unknown, or do you think these gems are going to watch the film and maybe he gets a bigger offer than the Cardinals are willing.
Speaker 1: To matche Yeah, that's the question right now, PAULI. I think he was making fourteen point two million somewhere in that regard. You know. For me right now, I don't think this is just me. Nobody has given me any type of indication. But I don't think that there's going to be a massive market for Hollywood Brown. I don't think so. Because he didn't have great numbers last year. He asked, you got to watch the tape, but still he didn't have great numbers. And because of that, I think the market's not going to be on fire for Hollywood Brown. And that gives me hope, PAULI, Yes, somehow, some way, Manti Ausen Fortney, Arizona Cardinals and Kyler Murray can actually talk to Hollywood Brown and get him back here, maybe if it's a one year contract on a one year deal, right, because I love the thought of having Hollywood Brown over the top of Trey McBride and maybe whoever they take at number four, if it happens to be a wide receiver named Marvin Harrison Junior, I'd love to see Hollywood Brown over the top of those two guys. In particular, just saying.
Speaker 4: Look, we host Jonathan Gannon's TV show, and wol if you can agree or disagree, and I know you will, But every time he brought up Hollywood Brown or we asked him about it, his respect for Hollywood Brown's skill set was genuine. Yeah, and he reverts into his defensive coordinator mode and said, those are the kind of guys who scare me because they can get loose beyond a secondary. We have to account for that sort of speed, and right now is currently constructed. He's the one guy who's a true burner that can keep a secondary.
Speaker 1: Honest, Yes, he is that guy. And once again, this is a guy that runs as fast as he needs to run to catch the ball. For the most part, right, and yet Kyler Murray still has had a couple of balls that I know he wanted back because he overthrew him a couple of times that should have been a touchdown. Actually more than that all season long for Hollywood Brown.
Speaker 4: I had four, I had four five. I mean, it was remarkable. It could have looked much different between Josh Dobbs and Kyler Murray knocking off the rust, you know, and he wasn't available at the end of the year when Kyler was finally in sync and the accuracy and the anticipation was finally back in full and that Hollywood Brown wasn't available because of injuries. So once again, maybe just maybe the off season that plays the Cardinals advantage.
Speaker 1: And PAULI, maybe it takes a frontship. Yeah, bring him back. Maybe that's what it is. We'll see.
Speaker 4: Okay, beyond Hollywood Brown, where do you go next? The list of Cardinals free agents. We look, Antonio Hamilton by the end of the year, was your best corner. He was your number one corner. Now in an ideal scenario, he's your number three or number four corner.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, Paully. Look, these guys are a bunch of glue guys for the most part. And I was a glue guy, so I can actually say that a lot of the names that are on here guys who are pros, Guys who are gonna go out there and do their job. They might not be going to the Pro Bowl, but they're gonna go out there and they're gonna give you an opportunity. I like Lacky Foto. I do. Now, once again, the injury situation, You've got to bring that into consideration as well. What I saw from Carlos Watkins last year, I really like that Zeke Turner is a pro. This is a guy that plays so well in transition on special teams, and he's a pro. He can go in and get you out of a game. If he's got to come in and be the weak side inside, he can do that and get you out of a game right there. But for the most part, those guys I really really like and would like to see back.
Speaker 4: Do you put Carlos Watkins in LJ. Collier in the same category in that two veteran defensive linemen, neither one guy out of September, But you and Pash called both their names quite a bit when they did play.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, LJ. Collier played really really well when he was given the opportunity to do it. I was pretty jacked up about that combination. But Carlos Watkins I thought was more productive, actually more productive when he was given the opportunity to play, which really surprised me. I don't know about you, Paully, but it surprised me.
Speaker 4: He was buried. He was buried in Dallas. They're deep on the defensive line. He really coveted a chance to shine and get some reps and then he got hurt. Ljkyllier a former first round pick we had on the Big Red Rage. You heard how motivated he was the last offseason going into the year. So if you can come back with one year, prove it deals again.
Speaker 1: Yes, And there's one other deal, one other guy that I would like to see out there for the Arizona Cardinals. It's got a lot to do with his health. And I think you probably know where I'm going on that. But Jeff Swain, yep, Jeff swam the mentality. We were talking to Ben Steele, the tight ends coach, right here, and he was talking about Jeff Swain and the impact that Jeff Swain had on that tight end's room just because of the pro that he is, because of how physical he is when he would play, and the insight that he was able to give a young Trey McBride was so valuable. So, you know, Jeff, if he's recovered from that ACL, I'd love to see him get the opportunity to go out and be resigning.
Speaker 4: And look, the punter, Blake Gillikin had a great year, ended up number three in punting in the NFL and for gross punting average set a team record. So I'm guessing they're going to do what they can to try and make something happen there. We'll see about that. You talked to many assin for it every single week. Do you get the sense that he's the kind of guy who's going to make a big splash signing in free agency?
Speaker 1: No? I do not, as a matter of fact, and I stand in a PLoud. I really do. Now, there are some guys that are gonna be game changers, but I think you got to really really look hard and long as to who those guys are and to what degree they're going to change your game. How much money are you really going to give somebody? I don't know. I can guarantee Monty Assenford isn't a believer in building teams via free agency. It's through the draft.
Speaker 4: So even if there's an edge rusher out there, even if there's a wrecking ball de tackle.
Speaker 1: Chris Jones by way of example right now, is a possibility. No, no way.
Speaker 4: Okay, you're pretty definitive on that one.
Speaker 1: Hey.
Speaker 4: Join the Cardinal season ticket priority list today twenty twenty four. Home opponents include that Bears, the Chargers, the Patriots, the Jets, the Lions, the Commanders, and of course the NFC West. Just go to asycardinals dot com slash priority list. All right, let's talk about the Cardinals second round pick last year. Next and the big red rage presented by santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 1: And up up the middle.
Speaker 3: B j o Jalari is there to grab Rodriguez at the line of scrimmage, snapped the Jackson he's gonna throw from the pocket looking in trouble, wrapped up.
Speaker 5: And thrown down for a sack.
Speaker 3: Pj Ojalari gets his first sack. The rookie out of LSU gets a big sack here on Lamar Jackson.
Speaker 1: Closed down Lamar Jackson quickly and got the sack. That is big time by bj.
Speaker 3: Heinecke playfake in trouble hits hand sacked by bj Ojalari back at the ten yard line, a loss.
Speaker 1: Of about ten oh. That is a big sack.
Speaker 3: Back to pass goes Heinikey with time now the pocket collapses hed Heinicky sack back at the.
Speaker 1: Nine yard line.
Speaker 3: Bjo Jalari having a breakout game with his second sack forcing a punt.
Speaker 1: All the rookie once again would up be denied.
Speaker 4: Back in the locker room, they were calling him two sack o Jealari that whole next week as he had that breakout game. I think the question now is good he following the footsteps of Trey McBride and be your breakout player twenty twenty four. It is a big red rage presented by Santan Ford and Gilbert. We are Santane Ford, Paul calvc Ron Wolf Lean Wolf. We don't agree on much, but we do agree that the twenty twenty three breakout player for the Cardinals was most definitely Trey McBride. Yes, that's not even close.
Speaker 1: Not even close.
Speaker 4: What about bgo Jalari as a candidate for next season based on what you saw in half a season from the second round run.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, Pauli, I would agree with you. Right now. I think he's the leader in the clubhouse in terms of my expectation for his improvement this year. I really do believe he's got everything you need to be an effective edge player, A very good edge player for a long time in the National Football League. How good, I don't know. There's so many things have to come into play right now, but I'll guarantee you what beach glare experience last season is going to build confidence in him. He didn't have a fourteen sacks season, as we all know. He had four sacks on the season, but I really thought at the end of the season Bjogelaari really came around and because of that, I expect him to have a very solid year number two. What that means, Pauli and what that looks like, I do not know, But I do know this. The kid loves football and cares about getting better. And because of that, once you mix that with the fact that he's got the physical skills to do the job, my expectation is he's going to be a starter on the edge.
Speaker 4: Yeah, those four sacks in the last ten games. He had six quarterback hits, he had a pass defense, he had five tackles for loss. He had thirty five tackles. What'd you think about him against the run, because if there was one knock that supposedly allegedly knocked him out of the first round into the top of the second with a Cardinals snagged him last year, was that Okay, maybe the run defense wasn't quite NFL caliber, but would you think in watching him?
Speaker 1: Yeah, for me, for the most part, I thought bj got better at that as well, in terms of setting the edge, and that's something you've absolutely got to have out of that edge player. He's got to be somebody that is physical, and I thought he got better at that. Once again, Paul, it's very similar to Trey McBride. Trey McBride his rookie year. You know what he looked. He looked a little unsure, looked a little unsure of what it was that he was doing. I think you could say the exact same thing for Bjojealari looked a little unsure as to what he was doing. I think year number two, he's going to be a lot more sure of what he's doing, and I think you could see how that helped Trey McBride, and I think that's gonna help bj Ojelari as well.
Speaker 4: Now that's a great observation because towards the end of the year, Trey McBride did admit to the media that it was a confidence thing for him, and then once he started making plays, he proved it to himself so important. And then Kyler started trusting him and their chemistry developed. So, okay, maybe you have the inburse of that with bjo Jalari. Here's this position coach Rob Rodriguez the end of this season, when he was asked about the progress of the second round.
Speaker 9: Rookie, that kid has had to work so hard, and people don't realize that's why rookies who come into this league don't just jump in here and start rushing the passers, because they need to learn how to rush with the proper angles. You can't just run around people in this league. You're not gonna play a Division one double a team every four weeks and get a couple of Success's not how it works.
Speaker 1: You have to fight.
Speaker 9: You're playing against the best every week. That kid has had to get healthy. He's had to mature in this league and he's had to learn those things.
Speaker 1: And it is a child by fire.
Speaker 9: It's an uncomfortability for such a long period of time, some guys can.
Speaker 1: Start to doubt themselves.
Speaker 9: This guy's had such a great head on his shoulders and he's just worked his butt off.
Speaker 1: There you go, there it is, Paul. You know what that he's got a great head on his shoulders right there, and he's gotta work his butt off. You know what, You need to be trial by fire, isn't that right, Coach? You need to go ahead and actually be set on fire. And now all of a sudden, you need to be melted a little bit. And now you need to become malleable. And then we're going to pour you into this and you're going to take the shape of the culture of this football team. It is. It is so obvious to me because everything that I experienced as a rookie, this is what I think bjo Jelai is experiencing as well. And it all comes back to the confidence question. And I think his confidence will grow significantly.
Speaker 4: And when he looks at will Anderson Junior, who is your NFL defensive rookie of the year. Guess what, b Joe Jilari was a notch behind Will Anderson in every single collegiate category over his three year career. Those two guys in the SEC wreaked havoc. So maybe b Joe Gilauri after have a short and offseason last year, right, even some of his Combine and Pro Day workouts were hampered by injury, couldn't participate in a lot of camp.
Speaker 1: Because my biggest question I think going forward Pauly is can he stay healthy.
Speaker 4: And do they get him some help? Where do they go in the draft. Maybe they got to me if they go somewhere in free agency, it's either going to be edge or it's going to be corner. Maybe defense, because there's two things in the NFL quarterback get to the quarterback. Cardinals had one sack in the last six games and it was when Justin Field stepped out of bounds. So they obviously need to ramp that up. And I think that Jonathan Gannon knows that very well. He came from a defense where they led the NFL in sacks and it wasn't even close. They had seventy sacks. So it makes me wonder, is Jonathan Gannon even running the defense he wants to run. Does he even have the personnel to run what he wants to run?
Speaker 1: Question?
Speaker 4: With eleven picks and forty to fifty million to spend in free agency, I think they have to improve outside linebacker, edge rusher, and defensive line.
Speaker 1: I'm just wondering, is Manti asin fort ready to do that right now? Is ready to say, you know what, who we are there, we're there, this this draft class coming in right now, and the free agents that we're going to go out there and acquire and sign, we're there, and that means we need to go out and we need to spend this money going forward. I wonder if he feels like that is a situation where he's going to push all his chips and at the center of the table right now.
Speaker 4: I wonder when the Cardinals went into Soldier Field and you saw what Montes Sweat did for the Bears defense, It's what Chandler Jones did for the Cardinals years ago. You bring in that premiere marquee pass rusher. It's sort of like, and I made this analogy and I'll share this with you. It's when the Dbacks finally got that closer and everyone else in the bullpen took their role. Yep, if you can get that marquee edge rusher, you bring that guy in. And the Bears gave him a high second round pick and paid Montes what a boatload of money. But he's in his prime and he ended up being a twelve and a half sack guy. And guess what the entire it was the rising tide that lifted that entire Bears defense the rest of the season.
Speaker 1: Well, there are certain guys from the Eagles and heat. They shall go unmentioned, of course on this show.
Speaker 4: I mean a former Cardinal first round pick.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying, who are unhappy?
Speaker 4: I believe, yes, or at least uneppy with his deal. So look, whether it's that, whether it's the Cardinals trade out of four and they go back to ten, eight or ten or twelve and then all of a sudden, Alabama edge rusher Dallas Turner is there. I could see something like that. Look, there's no edge rusher at least based on the current mock drafts that is worthy of the number four pick overall, right, same with cornerback, right or I think the Cardinals will definitely be a candidate for one or the other at number four. That's just not the case, which might, in my opinion, increase the odds the trade out and go for that defensive lineman or edge rusher more in the middle of the first round.
Speaker 1: Right, I would agree with that as long as Marvin Harrison Junior isn't sitting there, Paul. I mean, why in the world would you take a tree that is running in the secondary? Take a tree and try to chop him down, Paul? Why would you do that when Kyler would appreciate that tree running across the secondary.
Speaker 4: All right, here's a tree who can run. Zavian Collins. Give me your thoughts on Zavion Collins and what you think his future is with the Ears on the Cardinals because his contract situation hangs in the house.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know. First of all, listen, you know how he loves Abon. I mean, we all do. The guy is an excellent, excellent dude and a guy that I think needs to be returned to Mike Linebacker. I don't think the edge is where he belongs, and I don't think that is his future right now, and honestly, I don't expect him to have that fifth year here.
Speaker 4: Interesting, and you know what if you put him back there with Kaizier White. That would be intriguing.
Speaker 5: Perhaps.
Speaker 4: Who knows what the future of Josh Woods Chris Barnes is exactly. Both are free agents, so okay, something to chew on right there.
Speaker 1: Hey.
Speaker 4: The Cardinal Student Pass allows college students to get in on Cardinals internships, discounts, networking events, ticket offers and more. Go to Azycardinals dot com Slash Student Past special thanks once again passing game Coordinator Wide Receivers Coach Drew Terrell for Jim Olmhandro, Cody Fincher, Ali Narini, Ron Wolfley on Paul KELVC. This has been the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the Big Red Rage presented by santan Bard and Gilbert right on the Price right on the corner of the San Tan two to two Freeway and Valvista. The Rage is brought to you by seat Geek your Ticket to Great Seats and by Arizona Cardinals Podcasts. Visit Azycardinals dot com Slash podcast. This has been an exclusive presentation of the Arizona Cardinals Football Club