Speaker 1: Pushkin. Over the years, the streetwear trend has moved beyond the actual streets and has been adopted by big box stores and even luxury European fashion brands. That change wasn't an accident. People like Virgil Ablo, who in twenty eighteen became artistic director of Louis Vutan, and whether or not we'd like to admit it, also, people like Kanye West wore pioneers in the modern luxury streetwear crossover. But so was my guest today, Tremaine Emery Tremaine is now the creative director at Supreme, which in and of itself is a major win, but considering he's the first black man or woman to ever hold that position, it's a coup. Speaking with Tremaine was eye opening the way his parents raised him to explore and encouraged his passions and education, while also imbuing him with a strong sense that having fun was still important. I mean, I imagine that's the kind of balanced approach to life that's allowed to Remaine to flourish in a field as precarious as fashion. I'm sure it's also helped to navigate his recent hardships, like the loss of his best friend Virtual autload of cancer and Tremain's own recent health scare that he's still recovering from. This is starting from the bottom harder and success stories from people like us. What's your day to day like these days?
Speaker 2: Man, just chilling. I'm recovering. So I had out of aneurism, out of lower aortic aneurism, and I'm recovering. You know, eight out of ten people passed from having it, so I was fortunate enough to survive it when in the hospital in octell and in of December, right before New Year's got out. So I've been spending most of my time recovering doing physical therapy because the aneurysm, the lower aortic aneurysm, really it messed up my legs. So I'm just building up muscle on my legs and waiting on some nerves to wake up. So yeah, but my health is great. I'm actually healthier than probably I've been in a long time. I had a lot of had and have a lot of support from people in my life. Yeah, I'm good.
Speaker 1: I mean I imagine this sort of slowed down like this sort of taking you know, sort of recovery time. It's probably the first time in a while that you really slowed down, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, definitely. It's been interesting because it's like also since I'm in New York, so I hadn't lived in New York in thirteen years. I've been on you know. I was living in London since twenty ten for seven years, and then moved to la and then moved to New York in twenty twenty two February. My first day at Supreme was out Valentine's Day, February fourteen. It's been the first time I've just been like not on the airplane every week or like on a train, you know, trains, planes, automobiles, you know. So it's been good. A lot of it. Part of it was just like when I was in the hospital, my focus was just getting out the hospital, surviving, doing what I could to listen to the doctors. And it's interesting when you get that sick, when you're like on the verge of death, which was like a couple of times whilst I was in the hospital, it's you know, will power. Definitely, you gotta want to be here. That plays a part of it. So I want to I wanted, I wanted to be here, so not just being grateful for surviving because in the end we all die. So you survived something, but it's only extending, you know. So my it's my focus has been on the five w's, So who, what, when, where, and why? You know, It's like, well why, you know, why what do I want to do? But again, before I got sick, I always kind of lived my life like that because that's how my parents raised me. So this life is finite. So we gotta have fun. We gotta be good to each other, we gotta love each other, we gotta have fun. My dads they have fun, you know, and do the things you want to do. So I always always been on that wave. I got maybe perspective on far as things is like myself having a family. I don't have one yet, I don't have any kids, and stuff on that more even but even that, I had that perspective of wanting that and wanting to find the right person to build a family with. But far as like living it to the limit, I did that already, you know, maybe to maybe to my detriment, maybe too much.
Speaker 1: Maybe too much, I mean, just even thinking too like with that happening so close to you know, what happened with Virgil and I guess maybe you probably knew about that for a while. I mean, I don't know. Man would have been like for me, really hard to process, you know, you.
Speaker 2: Know what I felt. It was definitely something I thought about, even I remember thinking about it in the ambulance, like I thought about V. And you know, like me and V, both young black men, creatives breaking into a world that didn't want us. There necessarily ones that used to having people that look like us there. Who were you know, a rogue squadron trying to take down the empire, you know, and you know, to lose a comrade. That's the first time I lost a comrade. And you know, just like even stuff with the Supreme thing, like I got the letter, I got my offer to take the position the same week he died. And the last time I seen him, the last thing he said to me, he's like, what you're going to do with the Supreme You're going to take the Supreme job. I remember we were both staying at the Mercer and he was staying on the sixth floor. I was staying on the fourth. So I got off the elevator first. That's the last time I seen him getting off the elevator and then he was you know, he was gone a month later. So it's like even just not even to get to tell him, even though in this grand scheme of thing, it don't even matter. It's just a job. It's kind of arbitrary, but you know, all we fought for, you know, just like Cats, our crew, things we talked about late night way back. I'm talking twenty twelve, twenty thirteen, before Off White, before did Them Tears, before No Vacancy n Cats was just like DJing making getting two hundred dollars to DJ, just trying to make it happen, and we had a lot of ideas and just yeah, just like your comrade to go be able to build with them or call them and talk to about the emotions and the you know, the highs and the lows. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it sucks basically a side and v I basically studied under them. They friends, slash mentors, you know what I mean. It's like.
Speaker 1: Luke.
Speaker 2: I'm not comparing myself saying I'm Luke Skywalk the character, but just like when Obi Wan went out, you know what I mean, it's like, fuck, the mission continues, but damn, you know what I mean. Yeah, and it's like it's like that with Virgil on a side, because those are the two.
Speaker 1: Guys, yeah, man, a side, the DJ who was a collaborator in some of your early ventures before Supreme and Virgil, but also your parents too, man. They seemed like they were super ambitious people to come from middle of nowhere Georgia, Yeah, George and Georgia.
Speaker 2: To fifth when they lived there, fifteen hundred, two thousand people, one red light town, you know, one red light most people went and worked worked, you know, bricklayers or worked at the pe Cam factory or nah. My parents are radicals. They they got they got up out of there and they were curious and that curiosity got passed to me, that curiosity about the world and not being afraid of the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because to move from Harlem, Georgia to New York City, like that's a huge no.
Speaker 2: My mom, My mom and dad are deep. Like I remember, like, you know, we're going to see Pavaratti at Central Park. Who's Pavaratti. He's an opera singer. He's got the Harlem Boys choir or singing with him. And it was a free concert at Central Park. I heard opera. I'm a young I'm a young black kid that live in Jamaica. Queens.
Speaker 1: They used to make a Queens to Central Park is not a It's not a short trip exactly.
Speaker 2: And I'm we're going to take you to see this confluence of culture. Halem boys choir singing with this Italian opera singer. So even so it's not even this take me to opera. They take me to opera. But then on stage of opera there's some people that look like me. My parents are very conscious of these things, and so that mix I had, and I think that's a big part of my creative output is living in the hood. It was great, it was an adventure. It was like I tell people, my childhood was like Sandlot meets boys in the hood, you know what I mean, Because it was like that. It was like we played basketball, football all the time. We having fun, but then there was the dark side of shit that would go down too. You know, I'm privilege with the type of family I had, not perfect, but privileged the type of family and the stuff they taught me, and that, you know, it's kind of my shield and armor against the bullshit of the world, because there's a lot of bullshit out there. You know, but my parents prepared me for it. The best micro for macro story. I could tell you my dad when he was in the army for six years and he learned how to become a motion picture photographer, so you know, shoot film. He became great at it. And then when he got out, he started working for a TV station in Atlanta, and then then he got the job at CBS in New York. I think in the second ever black TV news cameraman at CBS in New York. And then we moved. Oh yeah, we moved. We moved when I was three months old, nineteen eighty.
Speaker 1: One, second only the second black cameraman in CBS New York.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my dad's Emmy Award winning TV news cameraman. He has like two Emmy Awards. He's been nominated maybe I think ten times. He has two Emmys. But he needed, you know, he needed a frontive action to get his job, you know what I mean. That's how that's how he got his job. He couldn't just all those anti in front of action people. My dad an Emmy Award winning TV news camera and he needed a firm of action to get his job, you know what I mean. They would not give him that job if it wasn't for government intervention. But that's a that's another podcast.
Speaker 1: Well, we're we're at a point now where people are really again looking at like again, how we have to fight this battle again in front of action, like.
Speaker 2: Yo, bro, look at look at me and Van and Maximilian Max you know over at Ferragamo. You know, now you got Pat Louis. But fashions existed a while now. How many black carave directors have there been in the history of fashion? The history counted on your hand, Joe Hayford, he's the first, i think black careve director for Javanci in the eighties or nineties. And then you know he was the first and he was European, he's British. Virgil was the first African American at a French fashion house ever. And that's twenty eighteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's forty years later, thirty years later for thirty five.
Speaker 2: So it's kind of like the same reaction you had about my dad being the second chieving news camera man at CBS in nineteen one. Shit ain't really change if v was, you know, the second black crave director at the French fashion house in the first African American. You know, Supreme is an American fashion house, skate brand, but they make fashion right to where I'm a crave director. I mean, how many black crave directors have there been at American brands? Not a lot, not even relegated to black? What about Asian? What about Hispanic? You know what I mean? You keep going, you know what I mean, It's just.
Speaker 1: How do you contend with that? Because I mean, you are in an industry that it feels like to the outsider, the outside eyes, has only really recently embraced black people. Man, you know, did you feel that then? Have you felt that throughout your career? Do you still feel that now every once in a while, or.
Speaker 2: Like example, you know, I worked at Jay Crewe and two thousand and one, I was working at Jay Crewe. I was a sales associate and I had long braids or I'll either rock bridge or fro like your hear just like yours. And they and they said to me, this is see, this is funny. It's before the acceptance of black people and culture and in the fashion world. They were like the CEO came in and you know, he said, you basically, your hair is not the standard. If you look at the if you look at our catalog, no one has hair like that. And they wrote me up. So who I am. There was this bookstore called Revolution Books, not far from the job, and I went to Revolution Books and I bought the book about in New York employee rights. That's me. And I went through the book and I read. I called up the j crew line and I read, I read it out the complaint line. I said, New York State, you cannot discriminate against someone with immutable characteristics. My hair is an immutable characteristic. Next day, oh, Tremaine, there was some gray area in that discussion. We're sorry, d D. I got up out of there, but I didn't let that deterred me from working in fashion, work in retail. I didn't let that stop me. Imagine if I would have let the motherfuckers stop me if I said, oh, you know what, and guess what. Mark Jacobs wasn't like that. Down from Mark to Robert Duffy to everyone I worked with that people of all colors and genders working on all levels of the company at that time. You know, for myself, I became a start off as a stot guy, ended up as an assistant manager, and up until you know, with Mark and Robert running it, you know they treat everyone the same. Everyone got the same clothing allowance. Security dudes got the same clothing allowance as the store manager. Anyway, it wasn't perfect. But what I'm saying is I didn't let how Jaku treated me on some racist shit because it was straight racist bullshit. I didn't let that deter me. So that's my thing is just yeah, I can't let I can't. I can't, I can't. I can't let nothing deter me. It's obstacles. My aneurysm is an obstacle or a dude telling me thinking I'm homeless and kicking me out a cafe the first week I moved back to New York. It's Crave director of Supreme. That happened. Yeah, straight up, you know what I mean. And you know, dude kicked me out. I said, you gotta get out of here. I told you before not to come in here. He thought I was homeless. So but again that's his problem. But I'm also gonna press him. I'm gonna press him. I'm gonna call and press that place, and then I'm gonna move on. You know what I mean, and.
Speaker 1: Not let it become your problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, well it is my problem, but I'm not gonna let it stop me.
Speaker 1: After the break, Tremaine talks about what it was about style that made him fall in love with it. For me, it's funny, like I grew up skating on the West Coast, like in the nineties, and so for me, fashion was always wasn't something I deeply cared about in terms of brands with things. I just knew like, okay, how do I express myself? And it was like I'm skating. There's like a few companies Vans or whatever right from out here. But I would get magazines and I would see things coming out of New York like Zoo York or Supreme. It was for someone like me on the West Coast, it was very intimidating to see the styles and the trends coming out of New York. Having grown up in it in hip hop in New York eighties and nineties, when did you first fall in love with it? And how was that viewing the evolution of it?
Speaker 2: Fall in love with like style, like yeah, clothing, yes, yeah, man, I mean I always been obsessed with style, and I'm conveying emotion through the way you dress and conveying texture, color on proportion. I think it started with my parents, just like how my parents dressed and what they were into, and then their style, and then going to school. And then also I used to spend my summers in Harlem, Georgia, so every summer I go there, and just like you know, like my uncle Ray, he was definitely a style icon in my eyes. My uncle Ray, like his nickname was Sharper, you know what I mean, Like the way he would just break off his hat, whether he had on a dressy style hat or like a truck a hat. He always he always said, I gotta break your hat off, right. Style was incredible. And then yeah, just movies. I think movies is a big part of it. My parents owned a video store, just us Videos and Elmhurst Queens and yeah, and East Elmhurst and the Hood. They owned a video store in the eighties. So just watching films, and you know, obviously every every film has a stylist, has someone that does the wardrobe, you know, whether it's taxi driver or do the right thing, you know what I mean, or John go Art film you know what I mean, contempt, So it's like films. It's where you know, a lot of picked up a lot of style from that and.
Speaker 1: Then when you saw it, because like for me, I would see those same films and see the styles be very impressed. But you must have had some kind of eye to not to see it and be able to incorporate that into your day to day, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. It's just always, you know, always been on it, man, Like I always tell his story and interviews. But Yo, when I was six years old, my parents took me to get a cat, and they're like, yo, you gotta name the cat. And the cat was a Calico cat. So Calico's got stripes, spots, gold gray, black spots. Whatever I named the fashion, I named the cat fashion. I feel like she reminded me of like one of my mom's dresses or something like that, you know what I mean. And like so I kind of just always been into it, man. And then like once I hit jumped off the porch, you know, we'd be on Colisseum every day, going to the coliseum, going to Jamaica, app going in the stores. Then I start hopping on the train, go downtown, going in the stores. That's how I first learned the James Jevier Like me and James Jeba have been in each other's six degrees radius probably since the year nineteen ninety nine, two thousand, because I discovered the store he owned called Union, and the Union was a shop that had all kinds of brands. They sold Stucie. I think there was the first store to sell Stuscie in New York. And I used to just hang out there. It was kind of like a Union rat. I remember my first thing I bought from the Union was this black Jesus sweatshirt during by this brand called Sir, which was a streetwear brand of the time, and it was ran by this guy named Russ and he did this thing where he had a you could buy the sweatshirt or the M sixty five with the black Jesus or the Jesus, you know what I mean. You could choose which one you want. And to me, I was like, damn, this is deeper than just clothing, Like you know what I mean, I'm like, And then I bought it. I used to wear it. I remember the reaction I used to wear when I got that sweatshirt was like crazy, people stop you, like that's my Savior. People be like laughing, that's black. Jesus ain't black. Oh watch ill, is you a light? Cats stopping you in the street, like yo, let me let me give you the knowledge though they yeah, is your a white? Cats? In front of the Jamaica's Jamaica the Jamaica AD train station, they see me with the black Jesus sweatshirt. They're like, yo, come me to God, put you on. I'm like, nah, I'm good. You guys are racist, you know, like you guys are racist. I don't fuck with y'all, but in respect to Israelites, but I don't really rock that doctrine. But anyway, you know, I remember, like I grew up with cats that would say stuff to me like yo, while you be hanging out downtown, they don't want to stand there. The gay people there. It's more expensive there, And I'd be like, well, I don't got no problem with gay people to y'all go to the Red Lobster. Y'all go to bbq's. I'm gonna spend the same amount of money at Lovely Day and maybe the food's better than or not. I just want to have this food too. Y'all still do Bbq's I still do Red to this day. I still do Red Lobster. So cats saying they scared or they don't want to go hang out downtown. I knew there was something down there for me, and yeah, I had to deal with some bullshit down there, but there's bullshit in the hood too, we dodging bullets, you know what I mean. So it's like I'm getting knowledge from the hood and so much. I learned so much from guys and girls and people there, you know what I mean, about life, the human condition and more morals and being a stand up person and so many things. I've learned loads of stuff from hanging out downtown too, and hanging out in the city and being around other walks of life. So I can't let the powers that be stop me from being where I want to be. Yeah, So then I was hanging out there, and then my man Wilkins took over as a manager, and I met him and I used to hang it. So I started hanging out there like every day, and all the cats that worked there allowed me just to hang out. I was broke, dude, you know what I mean. And they give me T shirts on the low and then so to see this a store that had these brands that were local that were small runs of T shirts, and they were flipping ideas and flipping iconography and flipping logos from popular culture and from things we knew of, you know. So even just just seeing that communication through T shirts and sweatshirts and clothing, and I'm looking at the shot a shirt and Wilkins goes, you like that T shirt? I'm like yeah, And then he took it and put it in a bag and gave it to me and he's like, Yo, that's for you. Just make sure you come back and kick it with me, you know what I mean? Like that, like real g shit, Like Yo. It was ill like Union was it was. It was dope. It was just like it was start provoking, you know, the T shirts and the sweatshirts and the stuff, and there it was. It wasn't just fodder. It was something behind it. And I was to hang out. And so it's kind of why I start working in Soho to be near Union. So I got a job at Kate Spade back in like two thousand and two, after I was working at a liquor store in the hood, and then I got a job at kse Spade and then after Kate Spade got the Mark Jacobs job. But Union is where I learned it.
Speaker 1: Learned it after the break, Tremaine and I get into what it takes to be a great creative director for those those of us were uninitiated. What are the skills it takes to be a creative director of a company, fashion brand.
Speaker 2: Done Dune Dune? To be a creative director is it's It's not about sitting there and designing every garment or this senator. It's about being a leader and guiding a team with a vision and feeling for what each season is going to be and what's the story. What's the feeling? Who are the muses, who are the people we're designing for? What are the references? When the team goes out and looks for references? What are we looking for? You know, it's this season? What's the edge? What's the mean? Like, what's the meaning? What are we trying to say? Were trying to say something about New York? We trying to say something about society? What are we speaking about? What are the things we pull in from? What errors are we pulling from? You're the coach, You're the director, You're Martin Scorsese, Mark Scorsese, you don't edit the film. He's not the cinematographer, you know, like Spike Lee Crookland author Jafa is the cinematographer. Spike Lee's the director. He's the crave director of the film. And you put together the team and work with the team to create the film, the clothing, the food, the restaurant, the bookstore, whatever it is. That's what the crave director does.
Speaker 1: You know, you're kind of like the general, like you're marshaling in every resource available to accomplish something. So like all the disparate positions and talents, breaking them together and figuring out the vision, giving them the vision for how to move forward and what to do and how to do the best work and all that.
Speaker 2: And you know, also listening career director ain't just telling your team what to do. Is listening to your team? Career director has the final say but doesn't mean to say. Is what you believe. It's you guiding and listening to your team, listening to what's going on in the world the customer. But you know, you're nothing without the team, you know, and the team needs you too. And the more that people understand that, the more the better you can work. And that's why I was like, I don't get you wrapped up in the title.
Speaker 1: But it is an accomplishment. I mean, it's a real I mean it is an honor in a lot of ways. Still, even though you say you don't put much on the title, I just want to make sure it's like you understand, like it is. It's a real honor to that position.
Speaker 2: It's a great honor, especially to work for a brand like Supreme specifically and what Supreme stands for and what James Jeb stands for and what Aaron and the people that have been there for a long time, and it's an absolute it's an absolute honor, just like it was an honor to be do art direction at Stucy beforehand and all the stuff, all of it's been an honor. Yeah, every you know, definitely.
Speaker 1: If I'm like a sixteen, seventeen, eighteen, nineteen, twenty year old and I wanted to aspire to be like you become a creative director of like a beloved brand, what are steps you could take to do that? Like? How do you work your way to that?
Speaker 2: Kind of a.
Speaker 1: And obvious there's some magic involved, there's some luck, involved, of course, but.
Speaker 2: I would say I would say focus on spending a much time within reason around people you love and share the same vision as you, and care about the things you care about, and see where that will lead you. Honestly, I didn't start hanging out with a side and other friends and you know, like, yo, me and this guy going to start a brand one day. He's this cool dude that I learned a lot from a great person and hilarious vis cool dude, hilarious and grew to love these guys Wilkins at Union. You know, I hung out there because I love these guys and we have fun. I didn't know I would learn stuff there that would use the rest of my life. And what I'm trying to say moral of the story is I love style, I love art. I stayed my black ass up in the museum. I stayed in my black ass up in a bookstore. I stayed my black ass window shopping. I stayed my black ass on the internet. I stayed my black ass up in the books. You know, like, I just hung around things I love and then if you're really lucky, something will happen. But there's no guarantee. There's no deserves in this life? Who would write down that When I finally achieve and become a creative director of Supreme, six months later I get aneurism and almost die, and now in the fight of my life trying to get my legs back and take care of my health. There's no deserves. So my thing is, I got no regrets if I would have died, I got no regrets because I spent as much. I spent a lot of time with people I love and doing the things I love, and it led me to great heights, which considered success. But when I was in the bed and literally at points my deathbed, fighting for my life, what mattered most was the people coming to visit me, and my friends and my girl, and you know who showed up a sad cactus. You know, Andy changed Yebia, you know, and he started off as my boss, but now I value his friendship more than anything. If I never worked another day with him. So I don't know how to tell you how to be a crave director. I know how to tell you how to be a full human being. And being a complete human being will protect you and get you where you need to go. It might not make you creative director, it might not help you survive aneurism, but if you do become a crave director, you're going to have friends that keep you down on earth, and friends I get to give you advice and not actually care about that title and just care about that you haven't changed much, or that you've become becoming a better person and a more compassionate and kind of person. And so then back to the creative director thing, if you foster these real friendships with people that are into art, maybe that will help you grow your skills, get a recommendation, blah blah blah. But it's got to come from a real place. For me, there's people that do it different ways, some people who are the straight climbers, like yo, da da da. I'm gonna hang out with this person because it can get me here, and I'm gonna do this. I'm gonna work ten thousand hours. The shit ain't all about working titles. And you know, yeah, you need health insurance and you got your dreams, and but what I've done on my own and with a side is just as valid what I've done with Supreme. So if I never got to Supreme job, I'm still me. I'm still tremain and I'm still have the same ideas did them. Tears still exist, No vacancy in still exist. I'm not more because of supreme that I think that mentality for me is which we'll get you there? Maybe?
Speaker 1: Do you feel like you're the rarety? Do you feel like you're the exception to the rule on this case, like it feels like in your industry? Would you say that that's a rare, a rare way to move in your industry?
Speaker 2: MM, I don't know. You'd have to do a control and you talk to all them. You have to ground up all the creative directors and ask them. I don't know, man, I can only speak for me. I don't want to speak for anyone else, you know, artist. Yeah, I just hung around the stuff I love and start making things and did my best at it and support the community that supported me. And then this stuff happened. But I didn't plan it out. I was just trying to impress a side, you know what I mean, trying to impress Virgil, you know what I mean, like doing things to impress my friends. That's it. And I just wanted to hear the music. MC talked my shit on the mic, let people know a side is the best DJ. We'd start doing that. We used to split one hundred bucks our first gig, we split a hundred bucks. We used to split one hundred bucks every Friday night, midnight in the narrows. You know. We split one hundred pighs. Yeah. Yeah, I was the host and A Side was DJing. And then we started getting little, bigger gigs, you know, two hundred bucks, five hundred bucks. Then we start traveling the world to do it and getting big checks to do it. You know. But I'm not saying we hippies or like straight like we don't care about money. But what it came from love. A side studies, a master studies the music thing. You know. He owned over ten thousand records, you know. And me, I'd love for just toasting the crowd and creating an environment and finding a venue that with a good sound and this that and the third where the party could work and things happened grow out a night life, you know, and we loved it and we did it, you know. That's how we kind of linked up. That's how I linked up with v over some night some night life shit, you know, and that led to other things That's the thing I saw. I can't give kids the blueprint because my life is I grew up. When I grew up, I moved to London. I couldn't predict Robert Duffy was gonna move me to London. So how can I tell a kid how to become a craveve director?
Speaker 1: Right, Jacobs? You didn't know that was going to take you from New York to London?
Speaker 2: Yeah, even like you know how I met and worked with Frank, who has become a great friend, is like.
Speaker 1: How did you meet Frank Ocean?
Speaker 2: How did that through V? Because we first night hung out with V and me a sign V, hanging out at the spot that I was I was working for Serge Becker. I was a social director for Labodega Nigra. So I'm in there hosting, putting stuff together, a size, DJing up and there. And then one night my man Kyle Demers, who works as Supreme, he's in town and he's like, Yo, I'm with V. Have you guys ever met? I'm like, not really met. Once He's like, you want to come have a drink with us? We go down there, we have a drink, playing music, listening to music, and then V was like, Yo, can my friend come by? I was like sure, and this is the genius of V. Like he was so demure and then not dropping no names or nothing. So to open the door, and it's Frank. And I remember you had this dope, dope jacket. It was sublimated trumpel oil, so it was like a bubble coat, but it looked like a leather coat and a jean jacket. So that's the first thing. I'm like, Yo, it's jacket's fire. I'm like, oh, it's not Frank. And then we met and then we just became cool, you know, like but very casual. There was no you know, exchange of email, a couple of emails here and there, what's up. And then over years we got cool and then we started working together and you know, I did did what I did with him, and it's just like I can't tell a kid how to do that. It came from friendship, me and Kyle being friends and then Kyle being like, let's have a drink, everyone being calm and chill, and then that's it. And then if something you can do workwise comes out of that cool, but that's not the intention. And intention is to hang out.
Speaker 1: What did come out of your relationship with Frank?
Speaker 2: In terms of work, I was a six foot two fly on the wall whilst he created Blonde and Boys Don't Crime Magazine. I'm listed as a contributor on Boys Don't Crime Magazine. You could call creative with consultant, I say creative assistant and we just talk and sometimes ideas would come out of that. Again, he had a team, a small team of people he worked with. He's the leader Crave director, his own Crave director, his own visionary. You know, he's Frank, writer, producer, singer and artists, photographer. He does a lot jewelry. You know, he designs jewelry now as Julie Brand Homer. And yeah, I was like a fly on a wall that would get asked questions sometimes and I would offer my opinion or sometimes suggests maybe suggest something or connected connected dot. So you know, how do you become a Crave director? How do you make it at Carnegie Hall? Right? Well, it's the joke. How do you make it to car How do you get in the cab? Which way? How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Hard work? You know what I mean, like hardworking luck, But maybe you want to be a crave director and you end up somewhere else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, Well, thank you so much for your time for man. Man, it's just beautiful here when you speak likewise, was doing great talking to you, man, beautiful conversation. Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: I'm around all right, man, Thank you, bro be easy, all right, piece shall.
Speaker 1: I really want to thank Tremaine for taking the time to share his story with us. Obviously a lot of people are taking times out of the busy schedule, time away from work to appear on the show. But in Tremayne's case, he's not just taking time away from work. He's also taking time away from his own physical recovery. Real pleasure talking to this guy. And I can't think of a group of people who've had a bigger outsized impact on a single industry than Tremaine and his cohort. Started from the Bottom is produced by David Jah, edited by keyshow Williams, engineered by Benlliday, booked by Laura Morgan with production help from Lea Rose. The show is executive produced by Jacob Goldstein, who's not all up in the videos for Pushkin Industries. Our theme music's by Bent Holliday and David Jaw featuring Anthony Yaggs and Savannah Joe Lack. Listen to Started from the Bottom. Wherever you get your podcasts and if you want ad free episodes available one week early sign up for Pushkin Plus. Check out Pushkin dot fm or the Apple Show page for more information. If you like our show, please remember to share, rate, and review us on your podcast that I'm just En Richmond.