Speaker 1: Welcome to Reality the King. It's me Carlos King.
Speaker 2: The King of Reality TV and one of the most sought after executive producers in reality television with over ten years a production experience. Twice a week from Reality with the King, we'll sit down with my friends across the entertainment industry, recap our favorite reality shows and revisit unforgettable moments that we are still talking and tweeting about. Welcome back the amazing DJ red Chiefs.
Speaker 1: Were doing on I want.
Speaker 2: To get into before we get into the recent episode of The Real Housewives of Billy Hills, I want to get into just where we are with the state of reality television.
Speaker 1: You know, we talked about.
Speaker 2: The essence op ed with Mia Thornton, the journalist, saying she doesn't find me a story entertaining. We're seeing more and more of you know, cast members on Twitter defending things, blaming editing, blaming everything in the world just based on the reality that we're watching. We're seeing reality stars on these shows struggle to be honest about things that we later find out like, well, girl, that is what I read what I saw, Like what's happening here? You are a huge fan of reality television and you have been for a very very long time, Richie. I want to kick this off by just asking you. You watch them all, from the Real Housewives franchise to the Love and Marriage franchise, Bell Collective, Love and Hip Hop.
Speaker 1: You watch all of the shows in two twenty five.
Speaker 2: How are you feeling about the state of reality television?
Speaker 3: You know what, I think that there have been some shows this year that have had amazing seasons.
Speaker 4: I do, I like, I mean.
Speaker 3: From Bell Collective, Salt Lake City, I think the previous season of Married to Medicine.
Speaker 1: You know, I have the on the previous look into that too, but go ahead, I caught that baby.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: And clearly Love and Maritonsville is thriving, right, you know, because I feel like you guys almost film like year round.
Speaker 4: So here's what I think that.
Speaker 3: One of the things that I've come to realize as a viewer and as somebody who reviews these shows is that I I can only I can no longer.
Speaker 4: Absorb, right, And I think sometimes.
Speaker 3: As as lovers of the show, you know, we watch these shows. These people are in our homes every week, or you know, sometimes they go live and you know, we can reach out and touch them. And I think sometimes storylines may reson not storylines, I don't want to.
Speaker 4: I hate that term.
Speaker 3: Stories resonate so so so much with certain people that I think that sometimes that what it does is I think sometimes fans internalize those stories and and and they resonate with them so much that it can that it can take things to another level. And I think that when it gets to that other level for that person, it may start to feel unhealthy, and the energy around the show can feel unhealthy. I think we've seen aspects of that. What's some of every show just just just about right? So, and I think that the other thing that the audience is, We're the audience is smart. So you can't do the same thing every year like you. I'm we as audiences were looking for new stories. I am looking for something new to happen from season to season. If I see the same thing continuing to happen every season, I'm over it, right. And then the other thing is for me, how do we make this season different from the last?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: So I always think I think that the this was brilliant for love and marathonsviel, It's brilliant for love and hip hop when the cast has something to do together. That is why Bell Collective has always been able to work, because it wasn't just about the women.
Speaker 4: It was also about Ferris Street, you.
Speaker 3: Know, love and Maritonsville has the real estate, the business is you know, the Black Business Expo. I mean that, you know it that spun off into so many other different things.
Speaker 4: So for some of these.
Speaker 3: Shows, give them something to do. The med gallup, right, that is now taking us in a new direction. I like when the shows have stakes, something is at stake and there's some new element to a story that we haven't seen before. And so I think if the shows can continue to evolve in that way, which is again why Beverly Hills I think is doing so well as well. This is new territory, but we could We've seen this build up, We've seen it, but it just hadn't blown up the way that it has this year. So I think that it's twofold, right. We as audiences we have to respect what's happening on the show and sort of leave the show to the show. If the people sign up for the show in the next season, that means but at least on some level they are happy in some regard to keep going back, right, So I have to look at it from that perspective, and I can only say, okay, well, everybody's back. Everybody must be excited about what they're doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I agree with you. I agree with you.
Speaker 2: You know, I agree with everything that's saying they're okay. So I just said to you recently that you know, listen, I've been in the reality business for seventeen years.
Speaker 1: You know, God, I age myself for seventeen years.
Speaker 2: My first production experience was the Real Housewaves of Atlanta Season one, episode one, boom right.
Speaker 1: It's vastly different now.
Speaker 2: It's vastly different because what happens nowadays is when you have a reality start say to you, I'm not giving you that, that's my real life. And I'm like, I didn't know we were, you know, at a medical center and I'm here to draw blood.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, I have a question from the back of the room.
Speaker 4: So people are saying.
Speaker 2: That I can count on more than two hands how many cast members I've worked with have said this is my real life, I'm not giving you that, or this is too real, and.
Speaker 1: That always confused me.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, and and and this is coming from somebody who's in production. You do hear that unfortunately sometimes, and that's when you know the person who signed you are gagging.
Speaker 1: That's when you know the person who signed. Yes, that happens. That happens, you know on Love and Matter of DC.
Speaker 2: You know, I I have a cast member named Ashley Silva who is a dynamic dynamite.
Speaker 1: Of a reality star.
Speaker 2: And when she revealed to Joy on camera that look girl, I told people I eat the producers that you sickly got married. I remember saying at the reunion, like that's her reality rather or not it was right or wrong.
Speaker 1: That's the that's that's for those friends to judge.
Speaker 2: But as a producer, when I said this to them, as a producer, I didn't think anything's wrong with it. She she told Joy on camera, that's what you're doing a reality show. Joy disagrees with me, and that's that's okay. I said to her, that's why Ashley was cast, baby, because that's that's actually gives her reality to the show. And when you think think about Robin Dixon, Robin, I like you still.
Speaker 1: I don't want anymore. Oh gosh, Robin, I love you baby.
Speaker 2: When Robin Dixon did not disclose wands indiscretions or scandal and said, well, I was waiting for the other girls to break it up.
Speaker 1: That's I'm telling you, Richie, That's what I knew.
Speaker 2: The temperature and the intention has changed, and I'm concerned about that. As great as Bailey Hill's Housewife is this current season, and we'll get into this most recent episode, I am a little bit disappointed that it took us to see Durry and PK be separated for us to know they had issues, because we never saw anything to your point leading up to it. On Love and Marriage Huntsville, when Melody Martell divorced, we saw every everything leading up to it, and those two are phenomenal when it comes to give them the reality.
Speaker 1: That's concerns me.
Speaker 2: Even when we saw Mauricio and Kyle, it was and I'm a Kyle stand so again, it was we don't see any issues with Mauricio and Kyle until it's like we're separated, And I'm disappointed in that because that's not why I fell in love with this genre.
Speaker 1: That's not why I spend time.
Speaker 2: Away from my family, relationships, whatever, to give a show forty two minutes of my time because I want to see what's real. And when you talk about Salt Lake City Housewives, I enjoyed this season so much because I do feel like we're getting real stuff and I feel like those girls are funny and and and and bram and revealing Todd cheated like love the fact that she was honest about that, and the previous season of Maritime Medicine.
Speaker 1: I I tends across the board because we.
Speaker 2: Were giving, not giving. We were we were given some real stuff. And my concern is nowadays people look at reality TV as a quick buck to.
Speaker 1: Make in exchange for popularity, but.
Speaker 2: It truly has become the only occupation to where you can lot on your application and get away with it.
Speaker 3: That's so sad to me, you know, because it's almost like telling me and I know it's no. Oh, I shouldn't even say it, but it's no Santa Claus, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Okay, Ritchie, Ritchie next time. Given disclaimer.
Speaker 2: A lot of my listeners are mothers who children are whose children are the back seat.
Speaker 3: That's why I paused when I as I was saying it, because I realized I was like, oh, snap, oh, edit.
Speaker 2: Mean, look, we don't add out important things. Go ahead, I'm ahead, child, we are just getting started. This is reality with the King and I'm Carlos King. Let's get back into the show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that disappoints me.
Speaker 3: And you know, I think that that does go a long way towards what you were saying about kylein Mauricio. I don't We didn't see anything leading up to to understand what was going on other than Kyle running around the world with this woman, Morgan. And now it's like to see a season later she can't even say her name on TV. Girl, No, I'm saying her name. I'm gonna say you. You don't tattooed this woman on TV. I'm saying her name. I don't know why you're not saying it, and I don't know why you're not telling us if y'all broke up allegedly.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: But I mean you you're gonna have to give me something, because because you did, it's still giving nothing. Even fighting with Darrie is giving me nothing because I still know nothing about your your your separation from Mauricio.
Speaker 4: I know more about your arguments.
Speaker 3: I know more about the conversations you have with p K than I do about your your your conversations with.
Speaker 4: Mauricio about why you guys are getting at this place.
Speaker 2: Anyway, that's my problem, that's my problem. That's my problem, and that's the reason why listen. I said this last week on my podcast. I really enjoyed ourselves scene in that episode because I just enjoy when you're talking about something real, but I feel like it's relatable.
Speaker 1: As great as Beverly Hill's Housewife is.
Speaker 2: I do think we all know that the show is known for having one storyline that they that they hook on, and that's what we get for the next fourteen episodes, and we know that's Dereit and and Kyle.
Speaker 1: So we saw this episode.
Speaker 2: It was the It was the continuation of Kyle versus Derit. And Kyle said this without saying it, and I wonder if you caught it too. Kyle kept intimating that me and DeWitt were fine just a week ago, you know, we he made amends and she said, I don't know why dere is trying to start another problem with me, And she intimated pretty much that Dereet, you know, needs the show and the check and it's at Kyle's expense again, I'm paraphrasing what she said, but I really caught the innuendows that Kyle was throwing her confessionals. By the way, love that black and silver number, Kyle. You look gorgeous, honey. She kept referring to it, and it does make you wonder. And I wonder if you number one.
Speaker 1: Caught that and two?
Speaker 2: Because Deree has never ever told us that her and pet care were having issues? Is she using this battle with Kyle and extending it because she knows that the moment they make up, what the fuck is she gonna talk about?
Speaker 4: I read this differently a little bit. I love Kyle. I think that Kyle. You know I'm not. I don't need to get the disclaimers. We know why we love Kyle.
Speaker 3: But the thing that I don't love about Kyle is I think that Kyle is I don't think she's that self aware because if any of those women were texting Mauricio, she would snap. Okay, she would snap, and she definitely would have snapped on de Ree if it had been if the situation had been reversed. So for me, I don't know how DEREI found out because unless I missed, unless I blinked. I don't know who told her, because I thought it was going to be cross Jane told her, Okay, listen, I need to.
Speaker 4: And I got it. I got a whole other issue with Erica.
Speaker 2: But first of all, I have no issues with Erica Jay because Erica Jay is doing it's farting the reality. Look, I could be wrong, and range drops tell me if I'm wrong or if I'm just assuming here. I thought I was very interesting with something. It was something right, who asked? But who told you? And the reason response was what did she say?
Speaker 1: Richie?
Speaker 3: I cannot recall exactly what she said, but she didn't name a person.
Speaker 2: I think it was. Didn't Erica talk about this already?
Speaker 3: Well, remember they did a flashback I think what it was either doing the after show, oh my god, and watch.
Speaker 4: So many of these little clips with them.
Speaker 3: But when they showed the clip of the flashback of dark asking Erica if she knew of of of Kyle talking to p K, Erica was like, I don't know. I don't not that I I don't know.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is.
Speaker 3: So I'm still I'm still trying to figure out how she found out in true crime formats. Okay, we can relatively assume that it was perchance Erica who told her, but Erica then acts completely oblivious in real time.
Speaker 2: This is why I love it, Erica Jane. I'm gonna be real with you, and I'm on Erica Jane's side, and y'all know I go for kaya, okay, but I also.
Speaker 1: Keep it real.
Speaker 2: Erica feels like none of those girls were a true friend to her when she was going through her issues with Tom Geraldine. Erica feels like the only true friend she had was Lisa Renna. Lisa Renda was the one who was like, I'm on your side, I'm with you. When Erica Jane was reading the girls about like what about me and my ear rings or whatever, and Lisa were like, okay, go time to go. Lisa Reda said, okay, girl, let me get let me escort you out of here, honey, okay, because you're gonna say things that you are going to regret.
Speaker 1: And I feel like Erica had a.
Speaker 2: Very rough two to three seasons, and she said it. She didn't feel like eating of these girls had her back. And she even told Andy Cohen when it came to Kyin Morgan, you better grill heart.
Speaker 1: The way you grilled me, right, So I still that to say.
Speaker 2: Erica is like, good is somebody's time or turned to be in the hot seat and Erica is playing chess. She's like, look bitch to de Ree, look bitch, your girl is texting your man like And I thought it was very clever that production kept in Sutton's question. Now, what I did think was going to happen was a flashback or flash sideways or whatever of them find out and maybe maybe maybe it just dawned on me, what's upcoming, Richie?
Speaker 1: What we saw on the trailer.
Speaker 2: It's a scene where all the girls are in the robes and I think they're at like Bosey's house or event, and they're all like whatever, and Kyle gets up and she leaves, starts off and quits the show and pretty much said, you guys are my friends. Maybe that's when it's revealed that Erica Jane told to read what Kyle to her in private and my private, I mean with ten cameras in front of her.
Speaker 4: But go ahead, mmm, because oh here's the thing.
Speaker 3: I'm like, you know, Erica is normally so brash and brazen, and I love listen, I didn't like her necessarily.
Speaker 4: I didn't like her actions.
Speaker 3: During those seasons where the girls were questioning her because I feel like these were questions that we the audience had, like, girl, like this whole divorce is real suspicious with the timing of what's happening with him, Like, so you're gonna really like because we didn't see no lead up.
Speaker 4: For their breakup either. We didn't know nothing.
Speaker 3: We didn't know any of what she claimed she was going through until after she is now divorcing this man. So none of these marriages are showing anything that's actually going on with them. So it does make it hard to believe that. Oh not hard to believe per se, but it's shocking to us right now that we're hearing these stories. It's like, well, where was this all this time?
Speaker 4: Agreed?
Speaker 3: So now in present moment, it's like, Okay. What I feel like is Erica is gives each one of them what she thinks they need, and she is not giving them the truth.
Speaker 4: That's what I feel like.
Speaker 2: I buy the friendship between de Reed and Erica because they started off rocky with Pantygate, right, but I think which is very interesting and entertaining, and which is why I love reality. I love it when two girls start off rocky and end up being friends. That's why I was looking forward to Kenyan Porsche this upcoming season of Atlanta. I think Eric Henduriy had a lot of respect for each other, right, and I think when it comes to de Rey, when we saw Erica like okay, girls time ago, like right, like, this is turning into some love and hip hop type of shit.
Speaker 1: Let's let's let me take you out.
Speaker 3: When I saw that scene, Carlos, honestly, I felt like, here's my thing. I felt like there had every right to feel how she thought in that moment, and if anything, I would have been telling Kyle, hey, girl, like you need to like, you need to chill because none of the stuff that you didn't what we're doing with PK it is not right because you know, at the end of the day, you wouldn't want anybody. And I felt like Kyle was talking masks mass. I mean she was, she was going ham on Durie, and so when Durie finally snaps back and Eric is yanking her up out of here, I'm like, unless you just don't want her to reveal that it was.
Speaker 4: You, then yeah, you gonna want her to be quiet. Is that why you wanted her to shut up?
Speaker 3: Come on, girl, like, no, no, let her go in.
Speaker 4: Unless you don't want it to slip. Okay, oh girl, you about to tell I said it.
Speaker 3: No, come on, come on, let's go to the bathroom like that's what it was given.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, this is so funny to be I didn't think about that.
Speaker 1: Erica was like a little bitch before you spill my tea, bitch, let me take you out of your girl. We gotta go.
Speaker 2: Bubbo Honey, the black cars outside, Honey, hop at the drivers there, Honey with his bread tie.
Speaker 1: Right, buddy, go home, honey. I think the kids need you, child. Honey.
Speaker 2: The nanny's about to clock out. Hooey, you go home, child.
Speaker 1: I mean because I was the reason why I can have fun with this.
Speaker 2: It's because the way eric go swooped in like she was Kevin Kuner to de Ree Whitney Houston is what's hilarious to me. Because my thing is this at the end of the day, and listen, I will say this and it's fine. This ate the real house was of Alata, So I'm never thinking a girl will get snashed up by her Ponytail, just saying I don't ever see you.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine Drea Kyle pulling each other's hair?
Speaker 2: Like, So that's why I was like, no, to your point, Ritchie, let her go in.
Speaker 1: They're not going to touch each.
Speaker 3: Other, they're not gonna fight like, and I'm like, and you know what it was, Carlos.
Speaker 4: It was the way they ended the episode from from last week. So you end the previous episode.
Speaker 3: And you're like, you here glass and I'm thinking, oh, they're shaking the table.
Speaker 4: They are shaking the table. Then I see it and I'm like, you ain't even let her get nowhere?
Speaker 3: Can you let.
Speaker 1: No let the read come?
Speaker 4: I was so mad.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh, yank up, Oh you ain't wanted to tell your secret?
Speaker 1: This is very interesting.
Speaker 2: So rain Drops, y'all love to leave a comment, especially on the Spotify, So.
Speaker 1: Leave a comment.
Speaker 2: Do y'all think Erica Jane is the one who told dread about Kyle and PK texting? And do you think that's the reason why Erica Jane was playing the role of Kevin Costl and the bodyguard and Derek was Winnie Houston and she had to snatch her up because the crazy white Man with the silver hair, the stalker honey was in in in the viper room child. So let me know on the Spotify comments and I'll publish it and then I'll come back next week talk about it. Richie, thank you so much for stepping in this week. You have been such a joy. Let my rain drops know Richie where they can find you, follow you and support your amazing podcast, YouTube channel, and yo, do we call it a travel blog? Like explain all the amazing things you.
Speaker 1: Have going on?
Speaker 3: Okay, so first of all, follow me at DJ Richie Scott everything on all social media Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, YouTube, snapchat, all of that, and then when you do dive in come travel with me. We got some trips coming up to Thailand. We're doing group trips to Kate Town and Zanzibar, so we got some exciting things coming up.
Speaker 4: So you guys can.
Speaker 3: If you are a traveler, if you've never traveled out of the country, if you want to travel with the group and your friends don't want to go because they can't, you know, make up their minds, then this is the place for you.
Speaker 2: Yes and rain Drops. Tomorrow Friday, January.
Speaker 4: Hold on.
Speaker 5: Look edit that out let me, Oh like what Okay, I got it? Okay, here we go, damn and rain drops. Tomorrow, January seventeen, Catch episode two of my podcast on the Oprah Winfrey Network. Reality of the King is on own eight o'clock seventh Central, and my guest is Lisa Ray McCoy as we talk about all.
Speaker 1: Things couples on the Oprah Winfrey Network.
Speaker 2: So Reality for the King is on TV the Oprah Winfrey Network. Check your local listings eight o'clock seventh Central on Richie, I'll see you the next one.
Speaker 5: Love y'all, Love you.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to Reality with the King.
Speaker 2: New episodes drop on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Share, comment, follow and subscribe to Reality with the King.
Speaker 1: Wherever you get your podcast.
Speaker 2: Visit Reality withthe King dot com and be sure to follow me at the Carlos King Underscore on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok and Yes Baby, my YouTube channel where you can get all of my visuals, baby, my expressions, Yes, and don't forget Tweet me your thoughts and hot takes about this episode using the hashtag Reality with the King. Reality with the King is a production of Kingdom Reign Entertainment, an executive produced by me Carlos King Kingdom Ring Entertainment, Baby