Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Final Hour on this Friday, and we've somehow managed to limp towards the finish line. No Fritzy, no Polly, no problem. It's a meat Friday at that and we have reverse seared Jimmy Tura Ribbis and something called funeral potatoes. And I guess Tyler was trying to be funny. He said, Hey, we'll have funeral potatoes as the Oakland A's say goodbye to Oakland. They're a cheesy potato casserole. We'll talk to the great baseball writer Bob Nightingale here in a moment he was there. Tailgate Moonshine. You still have a chance to get the moonshine. Order two bottles of more, receive a limited edition DP show Panini Trading Card. It's Pumpkins, spice, Maple Tailgate Moonshine while supplies last available now. Danpatrick dot Com stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program. Good morning if you're watching on Peacock and our radio affiliates around the country. Some of the headlines here the Giants they lost by five points, the over under. The point spread was five and a half. Dallas Beach, New York Melik Neighbors out with a concussion. The White Sox hold off history again. Final weekend of the regular season Big college football weekend, including Georgia at Alabama. The A's are done in Oakland and after a two year stop in Sacramento, will end up in Las Vegas, which is where we bring in Bob Nightingale, USA Today Baseball columnist. How did we get to this point, Bob, where Oakland is losing their A's to Las Vegas?
Speaker 3: What's been going on.
Speaker 2: About twenty years?
Speaker 4: Dan?
Speaker 3: I mean they've been running a new ballpark since two thousand and five. Resident John Fisher bought the team with Lou Wolf and they wanted to go to San Jose. The Giants blocked them, tried five different places, nothing, nothing worked. Follow these surrendered and say, you know what we're done. We're going to Las Vegas. So it's too bad. I meant the crowd they got yesterday, the crowd they got this past homestand and that if that was going on all along, they never left.
Speaker 2: What kind of stadium are they going to move into in Vegas? In a couple of years, you'll be read.
Speaker 3: Talked about one you know, uh, you know glass let's you know, let's let's see clamorous everything you want. But you know, next three years, I mean Sacramento in the Marrior League Ballpark, so it'd be a little tough to attract some pre agents in that place. But Vegas, we'll see how it works. I still have my doubts. Uh, you know, in Phoenix where I live, it's a fifth largest in the country, and they have they struggle to make it work. I don't know Vega's going to fly in the Vegas in the summertime and want to go to a baseball game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I was wondering about. I think if you made it a more of an intimate stadium like thirty five thousand had a retractable roof there. But I don't know what the baseball climate is going to be. Well, I should say the baseball fan climate is going to be for a team that Oakland, you know, didn't really support, and now Vegas is going to be diehard Oakland A's fans.
Speaker 3: I don't see either. I mean the Raiders it works of course because playing you know, nine home games, but to play eighty one. I don't know, I don't see it. I mean the diehard A's fans, some will follow them up to Sacramento, know about hour and a half, two hour drive, but they're not going to fall into Las Vegas. And you know, even guys like Bryce Harper or Las Vegas native said, I don't think it's going to work. Expansion team will work, but not somebody else's rejects.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I'm just wondering about that that you have. This is it two years in Sacramento or three years? A minimum of three, so three for sure, and the dam's not ready. It could be four, but yeah, minimum three years. What role did the commissioner play in this happening?
Speaker 3: It really kind of started under buds ceiling. Remember when they gave the team to John Fish and Lou Wolf. Lou Wolf was Bud's arattorney brother at University of Wisconsin, and so he's supposed to get some kind of favor Nemverer. Now that area San Jose and all that used to belong to the A's they gave it to the Giants, saying, you know what, we don't want you to move to Tampa Bay. Here we'll help you out here, and giants never give it back. So they foll along, Okay, we'll be allowed to move to Fremont, San Jose something like that. So the giants have been very complicit this whole thing. Now they got the entire northern California to themselves. Nothing's gonna be a gold mine.
Speaker 2: But could the commissioner see, I know he wants new business and everybody wants to be in Vegas, but I just I think the relocation fee didn't he waive that? So that to me, you know, he was ready to put them in the hov lane and send him to Vegas.
Speaker 3: He was, you're right. I mean what he did was saying, you know what, I'm tired of it. We've given Oakland twenty years to figure this out. They haven't figured out. I'm done with it. Wherever you guys want to go, go ahead, and uh, you know, Vegas stepped up. They're gonna give them about three hundred and fifty million dollars in public funding, and uh yeah, I mean everybody blames John Fisher, but you know, like Dave Stewart said, Ricky Henderson said, blames to go all around. Like the age is the first team to leave that place, just the last team, last team to leave, you know, with the Warriors and Raiders volting before them.
Speaker 2: Have you run out of ways to describe Sho Tani?
Speaker 5: I have.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's unbelievable, you know. I think I do think some people will get carried away. The fifty to fifties very cool, but with the new rules that was you know, chilling bases and you know the pickoff throws me Ricky Henderson probately stole two hundred bases, but unbelievable year. But I do think Dan, after what we've seen, how long is this guy going to pitch? He'll pitch next year, how much longer? I think he loves hitting. I think he only pitches because he knows he can do it. I don't see him pitching, you know, much longer than a couple of years. I think hitting is just you know, too valuable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because he's not going to put up these numbers if he was pitching.
Speaker 3: And no, he's sort of not going to run the bases like this, even if Dave Roberts said, you're not going to sacrifice your body and do all that, but you still have to pitch every five days, so yeah, we may never see this offen some season again by him until he stops pitching.
Speaker 2: Good to talk to you, Bob, Thanks for joining us, pleasant, Thank you. That's Bob Nightingale USA Today Baseball columnists. There. We get some phone calls in here coming up. We'll talk some college football as well. And H Kelly in Kansas, Hi Kel, what's on your mind?
Speaker 6: IDP and Dannett one and Dannette two. How are you guys just morning?
Speaker 2: Everything's great? Yes it is, Yeah, I got it.
Speaker 6: I have a question for the Giants fans. I noticed the stadium was pretty full last night, and I just wondered if they thought this was one of the few games that they would win this season.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it was a I'd like to know the percentage of Cowboy fans to Giants fans last night, because Cowboy fans they travel, and I'm gonna I don't think it was fifty to fifty, but I'd say the Cowboys were well represented. They were five and a half point underdogs at home. I think they're still trying to figure out who they are. I love Malik Neighbors, but like Daniel Jones, is the over underpassing yards was two hundred and one, so it's not like there was going to be this offensive explosion. I think they thought it was going to be low scoring and Dallas needed to have a clean game, which they did. They end up winning by five points.
Speaker 7: Yes, Mark the Cowboys fans or the Cowboys, they're one of the few teams where, no matter where they play, it's never a true road game because you're always here cheers for them. It's maybe them, the forty nine Ers, Raiders, Steelers. I'm trying to think of maybe a couple other like National Packers, a couple of national teams like and I think the Chiefs are becoming that now because they've been good for so long, where in twenty years they'll be the Cowboys, they'll be the forty nine Ers.
Speaker 8: As far as the fan base.
Speaker 5: I don't you know.
Speaker 2: It's weird because if you talk to Cowboy fans, it's because their dad, maybe their dad's dad, they were Cowboy fans and it's handed down, and so you become a Cowboy fan whether you wanted to or not. It's like your dad rooted for the Cowboys and you're maybe his dad rooted for the Cowboys. If you go back to even the sixties with the Cowboys and then you have the seventies. Once you start winning, that's when you develop that fan base. Like the Steelers, how much of their fan base around the country is based off of what happened with the Steele Curtain, what happened with Chuck Mean, Joe Green, Terry Bradshaw, franco Lynn Swan, John Stall were the Niners with Now I go back to John Brody, but they weren't you winning a super Bowl back then? But then you get Montana, you have Steve Young, you win super Bowls. Now you have that fan base the Packers. The Packers go back to you know, Vince with the first couple of Super Bowls that they won and Bart Starr and you could name all of those players, name the offensive lineman there. I mean, they became household names. Therefore you take that with you. So if that's back in the sixties late sixties, they became the first dynasty in modern football because they won the first two Super Bowls. Now, prior to that, the Cleveland Browns were the dominating team. But you start to win super Bowls now it became different. And the Green Bay Packers winning those first two Super Bowls, beating the Chiefs and the Raiders.
Speaker 7: Yes, Marv, and all of those teams had maybe two or three different errors where they were great. Like the Cowboys in the nineties. I have a bunch of friends same age as me, forty. They love the Cowboys because of what they did in the nineties and so on and so forth.
Speaker 2: Well, that's sometimes all you need is a little bit of a refresher course of hey, we won. Now, you know, we can move on from what happened in the seventies. Now, you know, Doomsday Defense or Roger Stambacher. Now we won, and they lived off They've lived off the fumes of those Super Bowls for thirty years. And so you're you have an entire generation that hasn't won anything with Dallas. But Dad will tell them, hey, you know what, back in our day, we won three super Bowls. Now the Steelers win a Super Bowl occasionally, which they've done. Packers win a Super Bowl occasionally, which they've done. You know, the Niners getting to a Super Bowl.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 2: So that's all those are those fan bases that they stay engaged because they have a long history. Let's see Riley in Nebraska. Hi, Riley, what's on your mind?
Speaker 10: Hey man?
Speaker 11: How're we going?
Speaker 5: Great?
Speaker 10: Riley Good was wondering what your favorite Adam Stanley movie was?
Speaker 11: And also, uh, with today's.
Speaker 10: Football world, do you think it's easier for teams like Dallas to sign a receiver or a running back? And if they did, do you think CD Lamb would become like Christian McCaffrey.
Speaker 2: I don't think with his build they're going to put him back there you're gonna I'm not gonna spend that kind of money on a guy who's going to get tackled a lot. I want CD to be in space where he can kind of control when he gets hit, how he gets hit. I don't And he wouldn't be a Christian McCaffrey. He'd be a debo type of hybrid player. I don't know who they're going to get for running back. I mean, you're gonna pick pick up somebody. Who are you going to pick up?
Speaker 8: Who's going to be this year's Joe Flacco?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: But I don't know if you can just go out there and go, we're going to pick up that running back you got Zeke, you brought him in for a year. I thought it was a mistake. I thought it was a mistake to even re sign him. But Jerry is weirdly loyal, sometimes to a fault. But yeah, are you going to get another receiver? I get, I don't know. I don't know who's out there not combing the waiver wires here, but I will. I'll do that for this audience. Justin in Virginia, Hi, Justin, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 11: Well, good morning.
Speaker 9: I just wanted to answer scenes poll of Cowboys playoffs chance winning Super Bowl chances. I'm loll no, and Marvin's absolutely right. I'm forty years old. I jumped on the bandwagon when I was eight during the ninety two season. Yeah, and unfortunately have stayed on ever since. I know Jerry's not totally to blame, but under his stewardship as both owner and unfortunately GM, they haven't proved anything to me that they're gonna reach even the NFC championship anytime soon. And honestly, I don't think still get there until after he's gone, and maybe his oldest son will do better.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you? Justin Justin sounded break down.
Speaker 8: Should we do a wellness check on him?
Speaker 2: I mean I guess by comparison, we have Shae and Irving and we haven't even heard from Shaye today. Maybe that's good that we don't hear from Shaye today considering the way he sounded on Monday.
Speaker 8: That was.
Speaker 12: One of my favorite things though, is that even after a win, he sounds terrible.
Speaker 2: What do you mean, it's terrible as if.
Speaker 12: She still won.
Speaker 2: But he can't change like that. He's stuck with this. He grew up a Cowboy fan because we always say, oh, it just change, you know, go ahead, pick a new team. And then he's he's imprisoned by this. He can't yeh can't. And imagine watching those games. Every he knows his season is going to end poorly. He does, he doesn't know how, but he knows it's going to end in a bad way. You make the playoffs. If you make the playoffs, you lose a home game in the playoffs. Just imagine that impending doom. It's you're watching a movie and you know it's not going to end well for somebody, but you got to watch the movie. That's what it's been like for Cowboy fans. You're reading a book, you know that it doesn't end well. Because you've read this book before.
Speaker 8: It's like watching Titanic. Oh, what what's gonna happen? Yeah, we know.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it's exactly the Titanic, but it doesn't end well, it's just it'll it'll end differently, but still it'll be a bad, bad day for and Irvin Alex in Utah. Hi, Alex, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 9: As it going?
Speaker 10: Dan?
Speaker 11: Good to talk to you guys.
Speaker 13: So I guess yeah, maybe just quickly weigh in on the funeral potatoes. Now, I don't know if this story is true, maybe it's just apocryphal, but my dad's fifth generation Utah, and according to him, originally they were called party potatoes, but over years of them being constantly served at funerals, they became funeral potatoes. So I again, I don't know if that's true, but.
Speaker 11: That's what I've heard.
Speaker 13: And then just to kind of touch on the Thursday night football, you kind of mentioned it, what kind of a bummer the Thursday night games have been. And I was looking at the schedule for the rest of the season, and it looks like we've got a lot of division rivalry games, and so I'm trying to get excited about it, but I just I've been burned too many times by Thursday Night games, and so I'm just wondering maybe Thursday's just a curse day for football.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, Amazon spent a lot of money, and if you spend a lot of money, then all of a sudden, the NFL goes, all right, we're going to give you some good games. ESPN spend even more money to get a better schedule for Monday Night Football, and then they went out and improved the booth by bringing in Joe and Troy. That's what the NFL wants. I mean, the NFL gave Sunday Night Football the best schedule because you had Al Michaels and Chris Collinsworth. That's it. They knew that that was going to be the best presentation of all the football games, Sunday Night Football, and it has been for decades now. Thursday Night Amazon, you're spending big money. You want to keep them happy, you give them a better schedule. My point is, it doesn't matter who's playing. I still think it's difficult to play a game on Sunday and play a game on Thursday, and ask somebody to play a game a divisional game and you're on the road. It's just the odds of having a good game, clean game. How many flags were there? They were like twelve in the first got to the point where I laughed when there wasn't a flag. I'm like, what no flag on the plane? Even Al Michaels is exasperated, and I get it. It's tough watching that, but it's like varying degrees of penalties where you go, I gotta call that one, or can we just let that go? It's in in the NBA, they'd let that go. That'd be like, Okay, we're gonna let you play a little bit here. Watching last night, it was just it was slowing down. A guy was boring. It really was. It was boring. We'll take a break here. Got some football coming up tonight, by the way, Virginia Tech and Miami Washington and Rutgers cam Wartime, Yeah, cam Ward coming out party, little Heisman action there. Let me take a break back after this. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live a meat Friday part of my responsibilities aside from preparing meat Friday quality control, I went out and tried the Chimmy Tourist Stakes. Oh boy, and awesome. Awesome. I didn't try the funeral potatoes yet, they weren't done, but those Chimmy Tourist Stakes awesome. Sunday night match up between Josh Allen and the Bills, Lamar Jackson and the Ravens Sunday at seven Eastern on NBC and Peacock More phone calls coming up. Andy Staples, our good buddy, covers college football for on three Sports. He has recently attended the Miami Florida game Texas Michigan, Alabama Wisconsin. Andy joins iss on the program for some reason. Now I'm excited about Fresno State and UNLV. What do you think there? Andy?
Speaker 5: I wonder how many people knew this game was happening, knew what time it was happening to what channel it was going to be on before you and these quarterback decided to dip out in the middle of the week. This week, as his three and oh team prepares for its conference opener, Dan, It's one of the strangest things I've ever seen. We kind of knew something like this was going to happen eventually. Still when it came, is like, whoa, what he's done? That's it?
Speaker 2: Okay, But how did we get here? With a player Leaves holy Cross, he says he's promised one hundred thousand dollars by an assistant coach. There's no paper trail. You're not supposed to entice a recruit with money if you're on the coaching staff the collection. No you can now, oh you can, okay. So he said that he didn't entice him with money, So I like, how do you prove any of this? You don't just press.
Speaker 5: That's the craziest part. And so one of the things when when all these nil deals blow up, When when there's a bad NIL deal that blows up, you can usually find blame on every side. You can usually find a lot of stupidity everywhere. And in this particular case, so if you have an assistant coach promising X dollars, the family needs to understand. But more importantly, the agent representing the family, who works for a big agency by the way, needs to understand, well, the coach is not exactly authorized to do that, because he's not the one who'd be paying it. The collective is who's paying it. So if that dollar figure is thrown out there, the first call you should make is to the collective to say, hey, is this money here? Is this accurate? Because because if it is, we have a lot to talk about. But they didn't do that. And like you heard the agent's boss say, well, he wasn't allowed to sign a contract with the collective before he enrolled. Okay, apparently the entire agency missed the giant federal case earlier this year that got the NIL rules scrapped, where yeah, you can sign a contract with a collective before you enroll. So they absolutely could have signed a contract. They didn't start negotiating until August though. And what's interesting about this, though, is given you and LV situation where they're three and zero, they've beaten two Big twelve teams, they have Syracuse next week, they could easily win the Mountain West and be a playoff team if they do it. Did all this well, if it's that important to you, you can come up with the money. And in fact, I think there was a casino owner who did pledge the money if they needed to do it, and they decided not to, which leads me to believe that they didn't necessarily think Matthew Sluka was that critical to this run. They have a guy named Hodjablique Williams who transferred in from the fighting Campbell University Camels in North Carolina. He was with the starters for all the spring, all the summer, and I think they feel pretty comfortable with him. We'll find out during the game against Presno State on Saturday whether they're just blowing smoke here or if that's the truth.
Speaker 2: All right, let's recamp here. So if I'm going to a university, the assistant coach says, hey, one hundred thousand dollars, if you want to come here, I then say, put me in touch with a collective. Let's put it in writing. Yep, so you can do that. That's all you do that.
Speaker 5: Now, you couldn't do that, and so when they were engaged in January, you probably couldn't do that. But by March you could. And this guy was still at holy Cross in March. He could have done this at any point before he ended up going to UNLV.
Speaker 2: Andy Staples covers college football for on three Sports. You got the big showdown with Alabama and Georgia and this is a perception game for me with Alabama, Kaitlin de Boor, because now if you beat Kirby Smart, you beat Georgia Jalen Milroe if he would happen. You know this, the perception is Alabama. Okay, we now know why they got that guy, Jalen Milroe. We now know that he's a legitimate Heisman Trophy candidate. How do you think this game plays out?
Speaker 5: Though I have said all week on my show that I think Alabama's gonna win this game, that I think this is going to be the one where we se Jalen Molrose Heisman moment. I got a phone call yesterday from somebody who talked to some coaches who played some of these teams, and They're like, you know you're wrong about this. George is gonna come in there and smash them. I'm like, no, No, I have faith here. I do think Alabama is insanely talented. I think Alabama probably the second most talented roster in America behind Ohio State right now. And Georgia has a very talented roster too, Like if if Alabama's two, George is probably three. But I think Alabama's built really well. This season. We've seen them struggle for three quarters exactly against USF and that was when both their starting offensive tackles were out. Both of their starting offensive tackles played against Wisconsin. They looked amazing. They're going to be playing in this game. George is still recovering from losing its best offensive lineman to injury. I think Alabama wins.
Speaker 6: This game.
Speaker 2: Comfortably.
Speaker 5: No, there are no comfortable games against Kirby Smart's Georgia dan I had a trivia question to get asked in my mailbag the other.
Speaker 11: Day, but it is in.
Speaker 5: George is favored in this game, right, Yes, a road favorite at Alabama, which is unheard of.
Speaker 2: When's the last time that happened.
Speaker 5: It was a long time trying to remember. There was a Georgia Alabama game during the Mark rickt era where I think Georgia might have been favored and Alabama just absolutely smashed him. Now, I don't think anybody's getting smashed in this game one way or the other. I think this is going to be a very close game. I'm really excited to see it. My fear for Georgia Dan is we have not really seen who scares you down the field for them, Last year was Lad McConaughey and brock Bowers. This year there's not really been that person. And like Alabama, I can tell you exactly who it is. It's Ryan Williams, who you're gonna hear on the broadcast fifty times. That he's seventeen years old, makes it no less amazing every time.
Speaker 2: Other game that we should can't. How about upset alert, how about little against Notre Dame.
Speaker 5: It's crazy that we're even talking about it like it would be an upset. Now it's a pretty close point spread. I think it's four and a half. Notre Dame favored. Louisville crushed Notre Dame last year, crushed him. Now this is at Notre Dame instead of at Louisville, and obviously the teams are a little different because of what happened out of the transfer portal. But Jeff Brahm has done a really good job at Louisville and that was a program that really retooled its roster through the portal this year, and in fact, you haven't even seen it at full strength yet because they have a receiver named Colin Lacey from South Alabama who's been hurt and we don't even know if he's gonna play in this game either. But you got Tyler Shook at quarterback, who was one of those five star guys, was at Oregon, it never worked, he goes to Texas Tech. He was never healthy. Well he's healthy now and it maybe he fulfills all that promise. I think Louisville probably has the better.
Speaker 8: QB in this matchup.
Speaker 2: Really, Okay, I've got Louisville getting seven against Notre Dame. This according to it early in the week, it was four and a half.
Speaker 5: So yeah, the disagrees with me, but I appreciate that because I got in on a Louisville at four and a half, because I've.
Speaker 2: Picked Louisville cover. How do you think morale is at USC?
Speaker 5: Well, the Bar Alexander leaving situation, I think is one of the deals. So Bar Alexander, for those who don't know, defensive tackle who transferred from Georgia, was considered a huge get at the time, but he's been kind of an issue, threatened to leave in the spring, isn't playing as much as he wanted to, and now he's leaving. I don't think that's gonna be a big problem for USC. I think the bigger thing is just figure out, Okay, how did we get beat by Michigan when we knew they couldn't throw the ball. I still think that USC is in a better place than they were the last couple of years because I think Lincoln Riley it feels to me like he has decided defense actually matters. They are practicing in a way that defense matters. You see them making open field tackles. Did they get beat in the Michigan game?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 5: Are they going to play an offensive line as good as Michigan are back as good as Coloe Mullings the rest of their schedule? Probably not? So I do think that they're going to be okay. Are they going to beat Penn State? Are they going to win the Big Big Ten?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 5: I don't think they're going to do that, but they're going to get better, and I think if you build on that, you got something.
Speaker 2: Before I let you go. We brought this up yesterday. Could you see a scenario where team qualifies for the playoffs? Star player says, I'd like to get more money.
Speaker 5: M hm oh yeah, Oh that's the whole thing. Oh I thought they were leaving or yo, yeah, I mean that happens now, Dan, That happened all year last year at various teams. So yeah, you're a free agent every day in this system and the time. The only way they can make that stop is find a way to make the players employees, get them unionized, and bargain a CBA with them. But here's the thing, this is the part that people don't understand. It's never going to get better than it is now for players. If I'm a player, I'm like, I don't want to be in a union, I don't want a CBA. Let's just keep this money coming because right now, there's nothing the schools can do that won't get them sued and that they won't lose in court. They can't make rules that won't get knocked down by the courts. So if I'm a player, I'm like, let's go. However, just bring it on now. I do think there are negative consequences for that sort of thing what you just said, Like, if I'm an NFLGM and I see that I don't want that player on my team, I don't want that player anywhere near my team, And I think that that hopefully is one of the negative incentives that that stops people from doing something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but we had Christian McCaffery and Leonard Fornatt Fournette not playing in a bowl game. When they're like, oh my god, what's that going to do to their draft stock? It did nothing to their drafts that that was a bowl game.
Speaker 5: That was there was no championship on the line. So that's the difference. And I think, and I may be wrong, may be being too idealistic about this. It may be that they are like, hey, you're you're a businessman, we run a business. Let's go. But I just I think that would be problematic for me because at that point you've gotten most of the way you've got to. We're talking about playoff teams, so we're probably talking about big time schools where they're getting pretty big money deals. Like it would take a lot of cojones for somebody to try to pull that.
Speaker 2: Have a good weekend, Andy, thanks for joining us. As always, Thank you, Dan. It's Andy Staples cover's college football for on three Sports. We get some more phone calls coming up. This is the Joker, was at media day, and you know he's excited about something like that. Here is Nicola Jokic. Nicolo welcome back, first and foremost, is now your tenth media day? What do you remember about maybe your first or second media day coming around here? Just has anything changed?
Speaker 5: All?
Speaker 4: No, every year is the same thing, and I don't know why we're doing it every year. Everything is the same, completely the same thing. So Nicolo, one thing that has changed on media day? You have a very strong beard or goateee. I was wondering if you're planning on keeping that and do you like the menacing look? I need more compliments, morel and more compliments.
Speaker 2: He's in mid season form already.
Speaker 12: Because he's just like being himself and it's funny. Yeah, he's just speaking honestly and for some reason it's funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like we're not really listening to him, it's just we're kind of that's his character of he's funny. He doesn't want to be there at Media Day. He doesn't want to show up for a victory parade. He just wants to go home to his home country and play with his horses.
Speaker 12: Yes, like if Steph or like Jalen Brown or somebody does this is like, WHOA, what's his problem?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: He got an attitude. Yeah, he's just more of a No, I do not know why we do this every year. Nothing changes. Hey, so what about that beard you got? Looking menacing? More compliments, more compliments, thank you? Yes, yes, Marvin So.
Speaker 7: People made a big deal about him being way too excited about the Serbia bronze medal and not the Nuggets championship, but he just said, these are guys that I've played with since I was thirteen, fourteen, and fifteen, and he's one of those guys where it's like, look, the NBA is a big deal to us, but for us, it seems like for him it seems like, you know what, I got to go overseas. I got to go back to America. Like you know how people look at playing overseas, That's how he looks at it, Like why I'm playing in the NBA after I play overseas?
Speaker 2: He this is a job made it truly is a job. He tells you it's a job. He approaches it like it's a job. He's not one of those guys that it feels like, God, I'm gonna miss the game so much when it's over. He'll be like he's just gonna leave one one day and never come back.
Speaker 1: That'll be it.
Speaker 2: He'll just like after this contract, I truly could see him just go don't want to play no more? Going home? Guessed right.
Speaker 12: You get paid a hell of a lot of money, and it's an awesome job for sure. But it is a job, you know what, Like what he's doing for a living, it is.
Speaker 8: It is a job.
Speaker 12: It's a great one, it is, and you make an insane amount of money, but it is it is work for him.
Speaker 2: Well, just the fact that when he was told about the victory parade, you won the title parade.
Speaker 8: Yes, Mark, look in about ten years, win this hall of fame. No, oh, no big rees.
Speaker 2: Yes, take a break. If you're watching on Peacock, we'll go out to the uh grilling area and uh we'll we'll treat you to that, at least visually. We'll are back with your phone calls, everything that we learned, what's in store for Monday.
Speaker 1: After this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAP All.
Speaker 2: Right Last Golf for phone calls, what we learn, what's in store tomorrow Meet Friday. All of our recipes available at Danpatrick dot Com, including today with the funeral potatoes. I'm calling them the party potatoes. It's just a cheesy casserole and it tastes really good. The reverse seared steaks with a Chimmychura sauce well done. Well, not well done, but nicely done by Tyler, because well done means the meat that wouldn't be no we wanted. Really it was medium, it was kind of medium. It was nice, Yeah, very nice. Tyler did a wonderful job. Stat of the Day was brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. The Big Game Sunday Night on NBC. It's Josh Allen and the Bills, Lamar Jackson and the Ravens Sunday seven Eastern on NBC and Peacock Dodgers clinched the West. They came back to beat the Padres Yang's clinched the East as they roughed up the Orioles. Aaron Judge home run number fifty eight. That's a pretty good Encore performance from last year to come back and hit fifty eight. The Twins lost in thirteen innings, so Minnesota running out of time. Now three games out of the final al wild card spot with three games to play, Big J in Delaware, I Big Jay.
Speaker 10: Pty DP, Happy Meet Friday, few times long time six to one in a soft two seventy five, softy.
Speaker 5: I was curious.
Speaker 10: And next time you have saying irving on, you should have ask Jay when he was in the Clint how much apple sauce and cigarette tax he lost because of the Cowboys betting on the Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I'll bring that up on the next gambling podcast there, but thank you, Big J. I don't know. I don't think Chase smokes heaters, does he?
Speaker 8: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, I mean he used to. He smokes a lot of things, but m or he did.
Speaker 8: He used to smoke eaters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, But I don't think he I don't think he's drinking. I don't think he's doing anything, not having any fun according to him. Gary and Grand Rapids. Hi, Gary, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 14: Good morning Dan, dan X, thanks for taking the call. First time caller five eleven and a Stanley to twelve. I wanted to talk you're talking about to the guy from the Cowboys about how their you know, their drought heads then, and I'm a Lions fan, so I understand how too well what that's like. Last time we got a playoff win before this year or last year was ninety one, and that was oddly against the Cowboys. But at least they do have some Super Bowls in their history and we do not. But I'm just having the Lions are doing great and also comes to fans traveling. Take a look at the Honolulu Blue and.
Speaker 11: Those the Lions awaking lately.
Speaker 3: They have a lot of.
Speaker 5: People driving good. Good.
Speaker 2: I mean, you got a reason to travel and chance a better chance to win when you have those games. All right, this day in sports history, since Paulie's not here, The White Sox in nineteen thirty nine host of the first day night double header, and they promptly lost both games to Cleveland. I remember when you could go to a double header and you could actually pay the price to go to that one game. It was a double header, but you got to stay for both games. Now it's say come in during the day and then you gotta leave, and then you got to buy another ticket to come back. Ah don't you love capitalism? Rock Range in nineteen eighty three, first player since the RBI became an official stat in nineteen twenty to steal seventy bases and drive in seventy runs in the same season. Okay, Eric Davis did it, Ronald Accounya Junior the third, Ricky Henderson a couple of times. They've joined rock rains in the seventy seventy Club. Nineteen eighty eight Sunday Night Football Bengals Ravens ESPN debuts the first and ten line The yellow Line. That one of the great inventions. Wow, now, great inventions in TV history or great inventions in modern history?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, it might be both.
Speaker 8: Yeah, definitely both.
Speaker 2: And it like where would we be when it's one of those where it was like, what did we do before this? Well you just kind of guessed where things were? Yeah, like how did somebody have to think of that?
Speaker 9: You know?
Speaker 11: Why was it?
Speaker 3: It?
Speaker 12: Just so obviously because it's so great.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Final results of the poll question Seaton.
Speaker 12: Yeah, we're still with Are the Cowboys Super Bowl contenders right now?
Speaker 2: Lol?
Speaker 12: No, it's gotten up to at one point eighty two, settled in at around seventy eight.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I I never liked the Cowboys growing up, even though I loved Roger Stabach and but I think it was just the whole America's team that they just said, hey, we're America's team, and like, did anybody argue, did anybody say, no, you're not, we are? They just made the declaration. It's bold, Yeah, bold.
Speaker 8: Proclamation America, you speaking for all of us?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like that's aggressive.
Speaker 12: Patriots are like, I don't know, I mean I feel like Patriots sort of suggests. I mean, the whole the whole thing started.
Speaker 2: Lightly right over.
Speaker 7: Yeah, this whole thing we call America, yeah, started here, started right New England, this area, not in Irving, Texas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it was just that they were America's team, and I was like, but they're not my team. Made that. That's a pretty good that's a pretty good business decision. Who ever made that mark getting decision. Let me see Bob and Montana try to squeeze in here, Bob before we exit stage left?
Speaker 11: Oh hey, DP, So, given today's only two Danetes, say, hypothetically there was a blizzard and the only Dannette who could make it would be Fritzy, would it just be you? Would Fritzi have on this show? And just so, how do you think that would go?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: We would do well? Yeah, Todd. Todd and I do well together, not always on the show, but you know, we we know what each other's thinking. It's just sometimes Todd colors outside the lines, even though I try to take his crayons away from him, and it's it's just difficult the number of times when I say Todd no, and then he goes right through the stop sign. Yep yep uh seton. What did you learn today?
Speaker 12: That's pretty well said Mark Sanchez. Is rocking a man on these days.
Speaker 8: I know, good for him, mister Bunns, Marvin Unier, potatoes huge in Utah.
Speaker 2: They were great, They were great. What did I learn today? Marvin?
Speaker 8: You covered the nineteen eighty five Yankees I.
Speaker 2: Did when Ricky Henderson went a wall for like a week.
Speaker 5: How about that?
Speaker 2: Rapid Radios instant pushed to Talkqualkie Talkies offering national lt coverage, new subscriptions or monthly phase a great alternative to a mobile phone for your kids. Rapid Radios dot com f up to sixty percent off free shipping. I have a great weekend, everybody,