Speaker 1: Hey, what's up?
Speaker 2: Thing is this week we are running a remastered version of our very first episode ever. It's about audiobooks, and I think it's a pretty fun one. And then make sure you stick around after the episode to hear us reflect on how we feel about all of this.
Speaker 3: Now, all right on with the show.
Speaker 1: I'm mammy, I'm Noah.
Speaker 2: This is Devin and this is no such thing, the show where we settle our dumb arguments and yours by actually doing the research. Today's argument began with a tweet the question do audiobooks count as reading?
Speaker 3: I don't care what you call it. I honestly don't.
Speaker 2: Do you actually comprehend content the same way when you're hearing it versus reading it?
Speaker 4: I feel like I forget what I read very quickly.
Speaker 1: And lastly, I have a confession to make to a friend.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna tell you something now, Rich, okay, and this full transparency here.
Speaker 1: What would you say if I told you.
Speaker 3: There's no no such thing, no such thing, no such thank.
Speaker 5: Such thank, no touch thank.
Speaker 4: I'll hop in here because I came across a tweet that I dropped into the d M S and the tweet was do audiobooks count as reading, and I just commented, no, so many.
Speaker 3: What do you think if someone tells me they read something but they actually listened to it. I don't feel like they're defrauding me or anything like that. I haven't listened to many audiobooks, but if I did, I think I would be okay telling someone that. If it's the end of the year and you're making a list of all the books you've read, you would put Prince Harry's book on. I would put Prince had you listen to it, exactly if I had listened to it.
Speaker 4: Okay, So you obviously believe that listening to an audiobook counts as reading.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you know I've listened to the Prince Harry You're a Catcher in the Rye.
Speaker 1: That's a book I've read. I know the book.
Speaker 4: Okay. So my goal this year was to read twenty four books. I didn't read twenty four. I got to like twenty twenty one. You're telling me if I listened to twenty four audiobooks this year would be the equivalent of me reading twenty four books.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would totally accept that. If you were like, if you posted that is insane, you posted your listen.
Speaker 3: We're like, here's the twenty four books I read, and then we're talking about a semantic issue.
Speaker 4: No, no, no. The question was do audiobooks count as reading? Yeah? Reading?
Speaker 1: Well, I guess it means what does reading mean to you?
Speaker 4: Reading means to me? What reading? Yeah?
Speaker 6: With your eyes?
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: It's like, what is the definition of read?
Speaker 1: I think it's a very small view of what reading really is.
Speaker 4: I think it's a very you know, reading is one thing, which is reading.
Speaker 1: All right, but these are books.
Speaker 4: Are audio books.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's the same, it's the same content. Well, do you think people are obscuring the fact that they listened to me?
Speaker 4: Yes? This is my whole The real reason I have a real issue with this is because I think people just need to be honest about how they're consuming media. And I think the people who listen to audiobooks and want to pretend that they read the books is because they are slightly embarrassed that they listen to the book and they didn't read it, because otherwise, why won't you just say, yeah, I listened to that audiobook. This person was clearly asking because she was putting together some sort of lists. End of the year she didn't read as many books as maybe she felt like she should have that year, but she listened to some audio books and she wanted to add them to the list.
Speaker 3: So you want people to make two lists, then yeah, well, like if I put the guy be honest, it's like, I'm not that interested in seeing any lists.
Speaker 1: So now it's like you're gonna ask me to look at.
Speaker 4: Two I'm not saying that, right, Like you can make one list and say here's the things I read and listen to this year.
Speaker 3: So I think a question for Devin here is what is it about the act of reading that you feel is more valuable than listening to an audiobook?
Speaker 4: What is the difference between reading and like listening to an audiobook? Is that like I can't read and walk my dog at the same time, right, I can't read.
Speaker 1: Day, But would you if you could? I mean, yeah, if I could, I would I mean or like very agile.
Speaker 4: But it's like we talked about this the other day. People don't read books. Reading is not an easy thing to do, like making time for reading, especially now having the intention span to read. And I think you know, rightfully or wrong, for like people look at people who read a lot of books in a different light than someone who may read one book a year. Right, Like saying I read one hundred books this year is very different than I listened to one hundred audiobooks every morning. I listened to let's say two hours of like between like NPR and w NYC and like the daily Right. So if I said, okay, I'm not going to do that every day, I'm just gonna make those audio books, I can get through a lot of audio books any year.
Speaker 3: So basically this is like a work ethic thing.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, you're looking at it as a time inagine.
Speaker 3: I mean I I do listen to the occasional audiobook, Okay, I mostly read books, Yeah, you know, in your definition physical paperback books.
Speaker 1: I'm looking with my eyes.
Speaker 3: It now feels like such a brave thing to say, Like, I do listen occasionally.
Speaker 1: I keep a.
Speaker 3: List just so I can look at what I've read this here, okay, on that list, And I can look at that list and I don't mark off the difference.
Speaker 4: You know which ones you read, yeah, and you know which ones you listen to.
Speaker 3: So Devin is making a point about like transparency and honesty. But another question around this is like, whether you're reading or listening, do you feel like the information is being retained in the same way. For example, if Noah listened to Killers of the Flower Moon and Devin read it, do you feel like you're coming away with such a different experience.
Speaker 4: So I don't think like because I read a book and Noah listened to a book, that means that I necessarily have like retain the information better. I just think it's like probably processed in a way that's different. But I also like, there's there's books that I read that I don't remember very well. Like I sent y'all that TikTok the other day about that woman talking about like reading the book and then like instantly forgetting.
Speaker 7: Am I the only person who read a book loved the book? In about seventy two hours, You'd have forgot everything that happened in the damn book. And that's why my friends be thinking that I'd just be skimming through the pages because they fuck want to ask me about a book.
Speaker 4: I cann't tell you what the fuck happened in that book. And if like there's some stuff that I read just like for fun that I'm not paying that close attention to like that happens, and I instantly forget what happens. And there's like some audio stuff that like I'll be listening to that, like maybe I'm paying a bit more attention to like of this American Life episode where I'll be able to retain more information. So I don't know. I think that's a long way of saying I think it depends. I don't think like necessarily reading or listening to something means you're going to retain the information better.
Speaker 1: It can go both ways.
Speaker 2: Like I've read books and then reread them and then just you know, whether it's just the mood you're in when you're doing that or whatever, you might just be able to absorb the information better, whether it's just like you're in a different heads. And then there's also books that like I've done both at the same time, where like I'll have the physical copy, but then I'll have the audiobook on my phone. Yeah, Like I remember doing that with the Oppenheimer biography.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, we had a conversation where Rich about it.
Speaker 1: For context, Rich is a friend of ours we used to work with.
Speaker 4: I just want to reveal on the podcast here that you didn't say I listened also listened to the audiobook.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's me.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm speaking my truth. That's because that's how I feel. It's it's the same thing.
Speaker 4: The conversation was literally about how he couldn't get through reading the book.
Speaker 1: I don't know what his habits are like, maybe he reads two books a year. I read a lot of books. I read.
Speaker 4: That exact conversation is my issue with people who want to claim that they read audiobooks. It's like one man is saying, Wow, it's really hard for me to get through reading this book, and you're like, yeah, it was kind of easy for me. I didn't like to read.
Speaker 1: Well, I didn't brag about it. He asked me how long it took.
Speaker 4: I gave him an answer or a time about some very important information, which is you listen to half of it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I know every fact in there, so.
Speaker 4: I'm not saying, you know, once again, it's not about comprehension.
Speaker 1: To me, it is about comprehension.
Speaker 3: We keep going back to this where it's like you're talking about people being worried about how they're going to be perceived.
Speaker 1: Yes, right, that's kind of what this is actually about it.
Speaker 3: And this is about people's so it just depends on how you want to present publicly. I guess I don't think in that moment with Rich for example, I wasn't being self conscious.
Speaker 2: I just wasn't thinking about it. I was beyond being self conscious.
Speaker 1: I was on a different plane.
Speaker 2: It was not even a thought in my head to mention it because it's irrelevant to me.
Speaker 3: Just to distill the argument a little bit here, basically, Devin, you feel like people are self conscious about this because they feel like listening to an audiobook is not as prestigious as reading a book.
Speaker 4: You got to see what's important to you. It's like a challenge for me to like find time to read. To me, there's something I don't know, still sacred about getting outside of the sort of digital world we live in to read words on a page. Well, like you didn't ask Noah how he feels about it about do you think reading is more sacred than listening to an audiobook?
Speaker 2: I can't say necessarily, I think that. Like I think if you if you're actually focusing on the words and focusing on listening to it, you could still have the same experience, are a very similar experience, if not the same one, but as far as comprehending and connecting with it. I think generally you could even even something that is like maybe on a more sentence by sentence level kind of that more literary sort of thing.
Speaker 3: And to play Noah's Advocate a little bit, you know, at least like like the passing of information via word of mouth, like that's long before books and writing, Like that's an ancient tradition.
Speaker 1: That's right, I ever heard of the odysseed of him?
Speaker 8: What do you personally think, though you said, I'm at the end of the year, if you read ten books versus listening to ten audiobooks, what you think is more valuable reading?
Speaker 1: Okay, reading with us?
Speaker 4: We can look, we can look. I think there's I think the thing here, right is that we all want to pretend like audio books are.
Speaker 1: I mean again, it's like what we say is valuable.
Speaker 2: That's what I would That's what I would prefer, and that's how I would get the most out of these books for me.
Speaker 4: But I think this is that classic sort of like everyone wants, you know, like we all want to pretend to be like inclusive and blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm doing.
Speaker 4: But it comes down to it. It's like, well, me, personally, I prefer to read. But like if you want to say, like audiobooks is reading good for you.
Speaker 1: You're saying I'm being too woke.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I think that basically.
Speaker 1: Think it's like people observe these things differently.
Speaker 4: Agree. Yeah, just own the way you're absorbing it, Like if you're listening to an audiobook, just be upfront about it.
Speaker 2: So Devon's main concern is more about the presentation of it all. He thinks people are embarrassed to admit that they listen to books because it's quote unquote easier than reading.
Speaker 1: So we're going to do a couple things now.
Speaker 2: We're going to do a test to see how reading stacks up versus listening as far as retaining information, and I'm going to try to talk to an expert about all of this stuff.
Speaker 1: All right, we're back. I'm Noah Manny Devin. Last time we.
Speaker 2: Spoke, we were arguing about whether or not audiobooks count as reading.
Speaker 4: So we just really quickly say where we stand.
Speaker 1: Devin, why don't you say where you stand?
Speaker 4: Audiobooks do not count as reading, they count as listening to audiobooks.
Speaker 2: And to me, they're the same, you get all the same stuff out of them, so it's reading to me.
Speaker 4: Then, I remember, what do you use stand on this?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 3: I remember being kind of agnostic.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 2: So what we've done since then is I wanted to get some real answers on this. I reached out to an expert on the issue. I wanted to find out how reading comprehension is actually studied and what differences there are between reading and listening.
Speaker 5: My name is Virginia Clinton LaSelle. I'm an associate professor of Educational Foundations and Research at the University of North Dakota, and I specialize in digital reading and flexible reading modalities.
Speaker 2: She published a meta analysis a few years ago looking at forty six different reading versus listening studies, oh with over forty six hundred participants, so she's kind of the perfect person to ask about this. She had an interesting motivation for why she started the study to begin with.
Speaker 5: I will say my motivation for this study was I was in a book club on campus and somebody very sheepishly sad, I've been listening to the audiobook. Oh I'm sorry, like, and I've been doing so much driving.
Speaker 1: It just worked better.
Speaker 5: And I remember just thinking, why are you so embarrassed about that? We're all busy academics. We're doing something extra, you know, you're meeting a talking about it and contribute in.
Speaker 3: I've learned something. After that, after that SoundBite, I'm on, if you're in a book reaction, Like I'm like, Okay, I don't care what you call it, I honestly don't.
Speaker 4: You're in a book club the whole point of a book.
Speaker 2: But if she's able to come and actually say things, I mean, it's like what differences I get, like the information relaying, but that feels like a book club feels like kind of a sacred act. Yeah, but I guess the point is like if she hadn't said that, would the other people in the group even know? Like what are you in the book club for? Because you all read these pages or because you're reading this book together and learning about the story or whatever. It's like, if you're able to talk about it, then it doesn't.
Speaker 4: View twofold right, Like the book club holds you like accountable for Okay, I'm going to have to finish this thing because I'm gonna have to go and talk to people about it. So it forces you to make time to read the book to your point, I think in terms of the discussions, sure, I don't care if you've you know, like I can talk to I could talk to someone about a book if I've read it and they've listened to it. I'm not they'll be like, I'm sorry, I only speak to people who have read the book.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're not, like the book club goes. It doesn't go any differently if you listen or read it, but it just feels like a weird for whatever reason, that struck me as like wow, in a book club.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I asked her what these experiments typically look like, and it's pretty simple. The participants will read or listen to a selected text. Sometimes there will be different parameters, like you have thirty minutes to do it, or it'll kind of shift you through one phrase at a time to keep you at a certain pace, and then you'll answer multiple choice questions or do something like write down everything you remember. So there's a variance there as far as how difficult the testing is, whether it's looking for simple stuff or kind of taking the next step in inferring and applying more knowledge to it. It'd typically be something where one group reads something one week and then they come back the next week and listen to something, so you can compare the same people's scores and each Anyway, we did our own small version of that. Now, obviously it's a real study. Wouldn't just be me listening versus Devin reading. It would be us doing both of them and then testing. But this is more to prove a point and to be petty. So we just did a simple one like this. We both read a short story called The Lottery by Shirley Jackson, and then we took a short I think it's definitely like for a high school class. Okay, multiple choice, multiple choice questionnaire on it.
Speaker 3: So I think we should start with Devin's score.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, So Devin read read the story using a visual modality.
Speaker 4: So I got one wrong.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's pretty good.
Speaker 4: Okay, So what my score was? Eight? He got one wrong, one wrong, So I got a ninety five. That's great.
Speaker 3: Wow, starts that's strong, a strong start. No, how did you do on your test?
Speaker 2: Well, I got I read the book using a you know, auditory modality, and I got an eighty nine percent two questions wrong.
Speaker 1: Yeah, only two.
Speaker 3: So it's kind of the arbiter here. I think it does mean something that Devin got one more question right than Noah. However, I'm I'm thinking like one question to me. I don't know if I can attribute that to like reading being that much better of a method of information, which.
Speaker 1: He might just be smarter, Trevn might just be built different. We have not thought about that this specific time.
Speaker 3: I don't know if this the results, like stats wise, Devin wins, but I just don't know if I can really say which which mode is retaining the information better than the other one.
Speaker 1: So I asked doctor Clinton Lassell to explain what's going on in your brain when you're reading.
Speaker 5: There's two processes that are going on in our brain in what's called the simple view of reading. They're stea coding, where you look at the text and you're able to determine what those words are, so you can see the word, the thch the letters, and then you know that means the And then there's the comprehension aspect, where you're taking the meaning from the text and creating an idea of what the whole text is about. That's called a mental representation of the text, and that requires things like vocabulary and background knowledge and making connections from one idea to the next.
Speaker 2: So that kind of lays out the two step process that goes on when you're taking in a text. I asked, you know the big question, which is what's the difference comprehension wise between reading versus listening.
Speaker 5: They're honestly not that different. Obviously, the decoding process isn't there. You're not having to look at words and figure out what those letters mean, but instead you're listening and you have to figure out those sounds make words. Now, because we learned how to listen from infant see, but we learned how to read a little bit later in our lives, we forget that that listening process actually takes brain power and actually takes efforts. So I think that's why a lot of times there's this misconception that listening to an audiobook is cheating or it's not really reading a book or learning about content area, and that just doesn't seem to be the case. Definitely, when it comes to memory for what you read, there's really no difference between an audiobook and a visual book.
Speaker 1: So you heard it there.
Speaker 2: Reading and listening are actually very similar, but listening is so much more natural to us since we've been doing it longer than we've been reading, obviously, that we kind of overlook the work that we do to turn sounds. We hear into words with meaning that's fair, which I thought was really interesting.
Speaker 3: And I suppose that's the other side of the exam that you two did, which is like, yes, Devin got one more question correct, but Noah still got seventeen out of nineteen. Yeah, so it's not like listening to audio.
Speaker 1: If I came in and got.
Speaker 2: Ten of those right out of yeah, you know, I wouldn't be here sitting talking to you guys. I'd be like, we're scrapping this episode to share. One thing she does mention is like, yeah, when we're talking about more complicated sorts of things, they do see more improvement for visual reading. Part of it is like you're more likely to go back and reread things, even if you don't.
Speaker 1: Think about it.
Speaker 2: So like on a page, you probably reread a few sentences even if you don't feel like, oh actually I'm going back.
Speaker 4: Or even pausing right, Like that's what I was thinking about when I was doing this test. It's like I was stopping and like, okay, I was saying to myself, Okay, gotta remember that character's name because it probably will come up, and it was and then rating again. Whereas if you listen to an audiobook, yeah you can pause and rewind, but it's like it's a lot more complicated of a process.
Speaker 2: She also said, to where we're talking about driving and this sort of thing, there's obviously different levels of distr So it's like you can be distracted reading a paper book if like your kid's running up to you and bugging you all the time or whatever. You know, your phone's next to you and going off in the same way. Where if you're driving and you're going down a new route that you don't know and you have a book on, yeah, you're probably not going to get a lot of it. But if you're doing your normal commute and it's like you're print to clear and you know what it is, you're not your brain is not even thinking about it at that point.
Speaker 1: It's probably about equal.
Speaker 2: Okay, So multitasking in general lowers comprehension and just takes longer to pick up that stuff. She also mentioned some other reasons that audiobooks could be a preferred option.
Speaker 5: I know, also there's a lot of functional diversity. So obviously, if you're visually impaired, your audiobooks are going to be a better option for the most part. But there's a lot of other functionally diverse individuals, you know, things like having bad arthritis. Holding a book is painful, listening to a book is not. There's a bill curve of how act and how much somebody moves in general, and you know, people like my daughter don't have ADHD, but they are just more active individuals. So people with ADHD who really do have a hard time sitting still find that if they're doing some kind of multitasking that doesn't take cognitive effort, like folding the laundry or washing the dishes, that having that physical movement keeps their body calm so they're able to listen and really enjoy the book. Whereas holding a book, I mean, there's some things you can do, like you can ride a stationary bike or do a stair stepper, but you're a lot more limited as far as your mobility.
Speaker 2: She ended up bringing up about schools and reading loss, where you know, I'm asking about all these different things and she's like, yeah, well, like, especially when you're talking with students, like, ultimately, you just want them to read, however they're going to actually read it, because that's going to be better than if they just totally skip the assignment because it's only in a textbook. And she basically says, unless the lesson is about is about to teach a reading scale or something like that's the point of it, then ideally the student just has whatever option they're actually going to do.
Speaker 5: Is the learning objective teaching them something specific to reading, or is it about the content or the story structure or the plot or the background knowledge. If it's the learning objectives don't have anything to do with the actual modality specific language skills, then if an option is available, giving that option would probably be a good idea.
Speaker 2: That's kind of her view as a educator. The more you read, the better you read, and that just goes for everything.
Speaker 4: And she says the more you read in terms of like actual reading or your your pretender reading reading.
Speaker 3: The more you read, the better you're the good doctor said the more you said reading.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So those are my main takeaways. So, I mean, I guess the big question is does this change your your opinions on this at all?
Speaker 1: Many why don't you go first?
Speaker 3: As we know, at the beginning of this, I was kind of ambivalent. I've never minded when someone. I guess I've never known, actually, so someone could have told me that they read a book and they could have lied to probably yeah, probably lie. But if they were lying, I don't think I would have minded. Now I do care, but I'm still in the middle because I don't. I don't mind, like I truly don't mind how people describe how they read things.
Speaker 1: So I guess that puts me on no aside.
Speaker 2: Are you surprised by what we found out?
Speaker 3: I was surprised to hear that listening to a book is essentially the same comprehension process as reading a book. And so someone's listening to a book and they say they want they read it, if they want to say they read it, I don't have any problem with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I'll say, even as a you know, the audiobook advocate here, I was a bit surprised at the comprehension levels were essentially the same. I kind of expected that reading on paper would be a lot higher if there was going to be a difference, So I was surprised when when I learned that that there's not that much of a difference. But yeah, I mean even as someone who would and for me it felt like I definitely get more out of the page. But I'm finding out that basically if I actually focused on an audiobook, I would get pretty much exactly the same, which was instructive.
Speaker 3: And then, Devin, I imagine that you still still feel like people should be upfront about whether they read or listened. But do you feel any differently about like that mode, Like does it do you feel differently? Do you feel do you have more respects for people who listen to books that's knowing that they're getting the same information.
Speaker 4: I think, See, I know it came up very strong walking back, because I still feel very strongly that people who listen to audiobook should just say they listened to the audiobooks. But for me, it was never about the comprehension part, because like I said, there's like some of the stuff that I consume, I feel like the best is audio based stuff, Like that's the stuff that like keeps my attention at times the best, Like it's the mode that like I had default to in terms of like entertainment. Right, So it was never to me about comprehension. It is addressing actually see like, okay, yeah, these are actually very similar, like she said, there, you know, obviously there's some specifics based on how they distracted you are or caveats that today. But so I'm not that surprised that comprehension is pretty similar. But I still feel like knowing that you should feel even more empowered to go up to someone and said, I listened to the audiobook. What a you're gonna say, I didn't comprehend the information in the same way.
Speaker 2: Well, I do say that as far as if I came across someone say I'm having an open conversation now and it comes out that I listened to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I read an audiobook.
Speaker 2: I think I now I'd be like, well, actually, first of all, you know, listen to this podcast.
Speaker 1: But also I'd probably be like, oh, you might.
Speaker 3: Be surprised to learn that it's actually, you know, the same same comprehension as far as comprehension. But so, you know, maybe for me still there is something about reading the ritual of doing it, the fact that you can't do a while doing other things.
Speaker 4: You know, it's still holds a special place in my heart. But yeah, you know, if someone wants to come at you saying like you're an idiot because you listen to the thing, it's like, no.
Speaker 1: Yeah, actually I'm an idiot for other reasons.
Speaker 3: I think the audiobook listeners of the world after listening to this episode will feel more empowered to be more transparent.
Speaker 4: But I'm not gonna lie about.
Speaker 3: How they consumed that book. Yes, and I think that's a beautiful.
Speaker 1: Thing exactly would change the world.
Speaker 4: Before the end of the episode, I think we need to do one more thing.
Speaker 3: I think I know what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: I don't think this is necessary.
Speaker 4: I think we need to call over it.
Speaker 1: All right, let's do it.
Speaker 4: Rich.
Speaker 1: Do you remember last year we got burrito's. Yeah, and then we I think we went bowling.
Speaker 6: We did go bowling. I remember vividly.
Speaker 2: Do you remember what we talked about while we were walking from the burrito place to the bowling hour?
Speaker 6: Yeah. We were talking about Oppenheimer. The movie had just come out, and I was saying like, yeah, I just got the book, and you were saying, oh, yeah, I already read it. And I was like, wait, really you had time to read all of that, and You're like, yeah, I just spent some time, like really dug down into.
Speaker 2: It, and all right, so I'm going to tell you. I'm going to tell you something now, Rich, Okay, and this is full transparency here.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what would you say if I told you that? Listen?
Speaker 2: I completed the book, but I listened to about twenty five percent of it as an audiobook.
Speaker 1: What's your reaction there?
Speaker 6: Okay, So it kind of seems like where you're going with this is that maybe Manny and Devon are trying to say that like your opposer or something. Yeah, but no, I actually I think this is like innovative.
Speaker 3: Yes, well, whish there was a moment of the converse you guys had last year where you mentioned how hard it was to get through some of the chapters.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah.
Speaker 4: Rich was very impressed by how quickly you had finished it. He's like, wow, you've read that in three weeks.
Speaker 6: Oh actually wait, yeah, now I'm being swayed. Yeah, hold on, keep going, Devin.
Speaker 4: Keep going, And Noah just said yeah, and I remember to look on his face when he said it. I turned around during this part in the conversation because Rich was like, wow, that's really fast. You read it that fast, like three weeks and it was like I was impressed. He was like yeah, And I looked at Noah's face and I could tell. I was like, it looked like you were lying.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Wow, looks like something's happening in his eyes. But I'm like, that would be a weird, Like, no, he's not going to lie about reading a book.
Speaker 6: I just want to clarify my position now too, because I thought I kind of I am feeling a little bit manipulated. I'm feeling like you were kind of playing into that idea of you are the book guy in this in this relationship.
Speaker 1: Yes, question, I answered a question.
Speaker 6: I answered, I'm feeling a little betrayed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I expected.
Speaker 6: It kind of seems like you were doing it for like nerd clote. I think the real question that you're not getting at is if you're if you are an audiobook person, are you going to be upfront about it?
Speaker 1: If you're like, I'll tell you this, oh.
Speaker 6: Yeah, this new book, like yeah, like I read this, but it's like, no, you you did it. You you listen to it, and that's fine, but I think you people need to be upfront. We need to normalize up front about audiobooks.
Speaker 2: Listen in the future, in a scenario like that, Rich, where someone's prodding me for details on the speed and pace of my reading, I'm going to go listen, do you have do you have a second? I'm going to say, sit down, Okay, I'm going to explain to you exactly which pages I.
Speaker 6: Read, what I listened to, and good, good, thank you.
Speaker 2: And I'm just going to come clean from now on. I'm not gonna, you know, just solders say, you know, like, you know, I'm not that smart, you know whatever.
Speaker 1: It's like, we'll just move on.
Speaker 4: We need honesty in this country.
Speaker 2: By the way, since we recorded, Rich has become an avid audiobook listener. All right, Now stick around after the break to hear me Manny and Devin reflect on this episode a year and a half later. All right, So it's been you know, about a year and a half since we released this episode.
Speaker 1: How do you guys feel about it?
Speaker 4: Now? It's crazy how much has changed but also stayed the same. Yeah, I will say, you know what has changed? I think I've evolved slightly on this. Sure, we've done you know, now another episode about reading, specifically why kids aren't reading and is that a big issue, and I think when we recorded that episode, my my thoughts were, Yes, as a society, we don't read. That's bad. We shouldn't just pretend that audiobooks are doing the same thing. We should also be reading more and sure you can also listen to audiobooks. I think now I don't care what people do.
Speaker 1: Let's take what you can get.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I think, like Jason Reynolds talks about, like, you know, we should hold high goals for ourselves, but we should also be realistic about where we are. So it feels a bit like, yeah, I would love for more people to be reading in a you know, traditional sense, but because it's so hard to get people to do anything. If kids are listening to audiobooks, that's great. If parents will listen to audiobooks, that's great. Just like more reading beyond social media and headlines would be great.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, minimum, I think hopefully looking at it is more of maybe a gateway to more critical thinking in whatever capacity is is a win. And we'll see as far as the paper reading what happens with that.
Speaker 3: But yeah, Throughout the episode, the original episode, I was mostly ambivalent, with a slight leniency towards people who listen to audiobooks, but said that they read something. But now I've got a new perspective on this from the lens of an author.
Speaker 4: So, yeah, you'd have a book out that I was.
Speaker 3: Not a published author, and now I am. And it actually is striking how many people came up to me and told me that they listened to the audiobook. So I recorded an audiobook of my book, which was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be. And so I have an appreciation for people who listen to the audiobook version because of how difficult it was to record it. Now I was presented with the option of, like, you know, Penguin Random House said that they could just hire someone to read the book. But I thought it'd be you know, it's not that.
Speaker 1: Long of a book.
Speaker 3: I should be able to just go in there and knock it out. But it took like three or four different sessions. I lost my voice at the end of each one. And so now if you're listening to audiobooks, I have a new appreciation for you, because there's a lot of work that goes into actually laying those down on the tracks.
Speaker 4: Wow, so your point of view now has shifted because you see the work that goes into making an audio book exactly.
Speaker 3: We need people to be consuming these otherwise the work will have been for nothing. In some ways, it's harder than writing a book, I would imagine, would you agree with that? Man, It's more physically it's more physically taxing, for sure. It's interesting because yeah, a lot of the conversations we have are similar still as far as both kind of a comprehension and what we're getting out of something, and then also kind of a performance angle, which was kind of the kind of big major difference where it's like, if someone says something, I'm just gonna take them out their word and try to not like I think they're.
Speaker 1: Hiding something or obfuscating something.
Speaker 3: And you see this not only with this one issue, but even just like with anything about taste in general, where it's like you see people think that if someone likes an album that's not popular, then they're lying about it.
Speaker 2: Or something, or like, oh, you're trying to look cool, And then you see the three yeah, and then you see the opposite way where it's like, oh, well, everyone likes likes Britney Spears, like if you say you don't like her, you're just being an asshole.
Speaker 3: And it's like, well, maybe, but people just like different things. It's like I didn't like disclosure to day. I don't think people who like it are lying. Yeah, it's a taste thing, you know. I can't wait to see that one.
Speaker 4: Some people just have bad taste.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't help that.
Speaker 3: And you know they should go support my movie theater. You know, some people have bad tastes is the wrong lesson to take. Noah was just talking about.
Speaker 2: Some people have different and it's it's their taste, and that's what's most important.
Speaker 3: Right, unique taste.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's I love that.
Speaker 2: As far as reading this year, Devin, have you listened to any audiobooks or read anything of note?
Speaker 1: Or are you behind or ahead of your goal for the year?
Speaker 4: I should say, you know what, I've I've evolved on this. I've stopped giving myself goals because I felt like I was not enjoying the books. I was just trying to get through them to hit my magic number of twenty or whatever it was. So now I'm just trying to make more time for reading. Yeah, but not give myself a year in goal. But I did just finish yesterday actually Inna Dunham's memoir, same Sick, How was it? It's great, It's incredible. She just has no filter, which is incredible for a memoir, you know, like she tells you everything. It would be a fun one to listen to as an audiobook.
Speaker 3: Yeahah, does she have an audiobook version?
Speaker 4: I would imagine she does, so, you know, never say never made. They'll throw it down on at some point.
Speaker 3: I'm hoping she pulled a manny And and read it herself.
Speaker 4: Oh come on, if she's not reading her audiet book, and what are we doing here?
Speaker 3: Yeah, if we're transitioning this conversation into like how we used to do things. I was pretty impressed honestly that, you know, we we didn't really go after each other as much as I remembered. Like, there was a lot of like, Okay, here's what Devin is saying, but I think this is what he means. And we were like translating our arguments to each other in real time, which I thought was surprising. I was expecting to press play on this and be like, oh, yeah, we probably screamed for ninety minutes.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, well, granted we cut it down to thirty minutes. Out of probably two and a half hours total, where yeah, you know, we cleaned it up to make ourselves more presentable, I think on all sides.
Speaker 4: I do remember, especially those early episodes, our arguments were a lot more heated in those studios. And yeah, yeah, so we did, I think, yeah, we we We turned it around to make us look a little bit more matured than we were in the perhaps.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but we'll have to come up with some more we'll if you get into more fights like that again soon, I think. Yeah, if you're listening to this now and you you know, you have some ideas for us to debate about, definitely reach out to us in the email yeah that's in the show notes, or leave us a voicemail and the phone number that's in the show notes. Hess No such thing as a production of Kaleidoscope Content. Our executive producers are Kate Osborne and Magues Cadur. The show is created by Manny Fidel, Noah Friedman, and Devin Joseph. Female credits song by Manny, mixing by Steve Bone. Our guest this week our doctor Virginia Clinton Lassell and Rich Feloni. You can visit No Such Thing dot show to subscribe to our newsletter. If you have feedback for us or a question, our email is Manny no A Devin at gmail dot com, or you can leave us a voicemail by calling the number in our show notes. Thanks by Hell's Hell's, Hell's hells.
Speaker 8: It is such thing.