Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome to Weird House Cinema. My name is Rob.
Speaker 3: Lamb and I am Joe McCormick.
Speaker 2: So we had a lot of fun last year discussing nineteen seventy one's The Abominable Doctor Fibes, a deliriously fun and weird horror camp fest, so I figured it was time to come back around and enjoy the continuing adventures of everyone's favorite music and theology doctor turned murderous mastermind, Doctor Fibes.
Speaker 3: So this is the sequel, the nineteen seventy two film Doctor Fibes rises again, once again starring Vincent Price.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Pretty quick turnaround too. Yeah. From seventy one to seventy two, Fibes got right back in the fight. And as we'll discuss, like, there wasn't a a lot of time left for five for five sequel to happen. You know, this is the tail end of the of the public's consumption of kind of more gothic horror fare, and so it looks like there were higher hopes for where the franchise could have gone. But at least we got one more picture and it's it is quite a lie.
Speaker 3: So looking online, I have seen a lot of reviewers commenting that this one's okay, but it's not nearly as good as the original, or in general unfavorably comparing it to the original. And I'm maybe I'm an outlier here, but I got to say, I think I enjoyed this at least as much as the first movie. It's I can see where the flaws would come in. There are some repetitive elements to it, Like you know, when Fibes starts monologuing, he's usually just saying the same thing he's already said before, but still, like, I never wanted it to stop. It's just it's just like a great vibe. It's almost like a music video, you know, It's more of an experience. If you're really hooked on every detail the plot, you might well be kind of disappointed, be like, yeah, we already know this information, or I don't know why this character is doing this. You put all that aside. If you're in the mood for vibes, vibes, it will bring them, and it will bring them in a delicious way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, is this Vincent Price's finest performance? You know? But in many ways, no, Like, you can look at something like Mask of the Red Death, which we discussed in the show, and like, that's a superb Vincent Price villain performance. That is, you know, it's very grounded and believable and you can see the wheels moving and so forth. This is still a great Vincent Price performance. It is tremendously entertaining every time you hear him, every time he's on the screen, but it is a far different sort of performance. It is an unbelievable character in an unbelievable film.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is the opposite end of the Price spectrum. I mean, Vincent Price is often thought of as a ham which he absolutely was and could ham it up the greatest of all time at hamming really, But with Mask of the Red Death it revealed his other side, which is he can actually be a quite subtle actor when he wants to be, and he had a lot of subtlety to his character there. There was a powerful understatedness to the way he realized evil in Mask of the Red Death. In this movie, yeahs he is trying to be funny, and he is extremely funny, especially because of all the actors you could cast as a character who doesn't move his mouth when he talks. Vincent Price is like the weirdest choice there. So this is a character that has to essentially speak through an external mechanism. We'll describe this later when we get into the plot. But so like every time Vincent Price talks in this movie, he's just making faces with his mouth closed while like a voiceover narration plays in your ears.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's moving his throat a bit, and at times I wondered, and I should have looked at into this. I'm sure the answer is out there to see whether he was actually like mouthing or sort of internally using the dialogue, because while perhaps unnecessary for this this sort of movie, Vincent Price also has that kind of that professional air to him that I would not be surprised at all if he was doing that. Like he as we discussed in the last picture, you know, he knew not only his lines, but the lines of all the other characters he was interacting with. So he was a consonant pro. But yeah, it is. It is always interesting how the Fibes character disconnects him from his own voice and yet at the same time, especially in this film, and I guess in the first one too, allows all of his lines to be introduction or you know, the spoken word part of thriller level of campiness, Like he just gets to really get in there and grind it out.
Speaker 3: That's right. And I so it's been a while since I've seen the original Vibes. I didn't like rewatch it before we watched this movie, but I think it would be interesting to compare the performances in the two movies to see if he really changed his approach to the character at all. I feel like he may be leaning a bit more into the overt comedy in this one though the first movie, don't get me wrong, is it is quite intentionally funny. The first movie isn't like taking itself real seriously or anything. But I think in this one he seems to be going even deeper into the ham territory.
Speaker 2: I think that might well be the case. And I also feel like in the first Fibes movie there were more genuine moments of terror, or at least one key sequence of terror, in particular towards the end where you're like, Oh, I don't know what's gonna happen. Less so in this picture. But yeah, but not in a way that detracts from it. It doubles down on the absurdity on the like the celebration of doctor Fibes the amazing murders as the movie itself describes them. So that's what we get in this picture.
Speaker 3: But there's a another way in which I think this sequel works quite well, and in some ways you could argue even steps up the game of the original. In the original movie, I don't recall Fibes really having an antagonist worthy of him at all, and this movie does give him that, and he sort of has a structural antagonist. It's arguable whether you would call either one of them the hero or the villain of the story. But this movie introduces a character named Darius bider Beck, who is a great foil to Vincent Price because they bring in an actor who can also ham it up in a way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the character is capable enough to take on Doctor Fibes, you know, in a way that threatens the plans of doctor Fibes in a way that we didn't see in the first film, and also has expertise that seems to at least rival that of Fibes in their their given area. That becomes the central to plot, which is of course ancient Egyptian secret.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, so more to come on that now.
Speaker 2: Quick note, this is the first time in Weird House Cinema that we have covered a direct sequel to a movie we've already covered. I think the closest we've come before concerned the Friday the Thirteenth franchise, where we watched Jason Takes Manhattan and then later we covered Jason X. But those are not sequential films by any stretch.
Speaker 3: Oh no, there is, unfortunately a Jason Goes to Hell in between them, and I would not say that it's like you need to see Jason Takes Manhattan to understand all the nuances of Jason X. In fact, I would not say that about the Fibes movies either. I think you could watch these in either order. It really wouldn't matter. But yeah, this is kind of interesting that we've covered a lot of two's without covering the one. This is the first time we've ever done the one and the two.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, And so it's always interesting to think about sequals. Well, we've talked about this plenty of times, like why are you making a sequel? Like what are you trying to do? In addition to, of course, make money. You know, are you looking to deliver more of what worked? Are you expanding the world, are you digging deeper into the characters, are you turning some concept on its head, or you know, recreating something for a different audience. I mean that there's all of these are valid, and there are many more ways that sequels are carried out. This one really does feel like, hey, last year we had a party called the Abominable Doctor Fibes. Let's throw that party again. Let's stick with what works, and hey, everyone's invited, and yeah, I think along those lines they pulled it off. Like is it gonna feel as fresh as the first film? Maybe not, but it's still going to pack some surprises. It's still fun. It sticks to the tone, it sticks with what works, and there's not a lot else out there that compares to it. So it's not like you making a you know, a mundane sequel to an already mundane horror movie. Like it was already a party.
Speaker 3: I would agree with all that, though, I would say it's kind of like if the party you had last year was like a related to a one time event, like it was a graduation party, and then the next year you're not graduating anything, But you're like, let's have that party again, because plot wise, the first movie is about doctor Fibes putting together these ludicrous, over the top revenge murders, and they were all about getting revenge against I believe it was the doctors who let his wife, who he believed were responsible for his wife dying after an accident, like the doctors were unable to save her, So he's getting revenge on all of them. In other words, there's a reason for the occasion. This movie reproduces the elaborate murders, except there is no motive of revenge in them. I think basically all of the victims in Fibes Rises Again have done nothing that could even really be construed as offending Fibes or his wife Victoria. They're just like random people who happen to be around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he has just elaborate death contraptions lined up for people to get in his way because that's the kind of artist that he is.
Speaker 3: So yes, it is like revisiting a graduation party when nobody's graduating, but like, I don't know, if it was a really great party, why not do it again? And so that's how I feel about this movie.
Speaker 2: Now to your point too, In the first film, all of the not all the movies, all the murders were patterned after the different plagues of Egypt. Oh, yes, so there was a theological theme to each one. This time, I don't think there's a theological theme. There's kind of an animal theme to them, I guess. And I do have one potential question, like one conspiracy theory if you will, about the plot. We'll get into that later.
Speaker 3: Well, I've seen the murders in this movie described as quote, desert themed. I I don't know if that applies to all of them, but I guess maybe some of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Now, originally there were plans for more parties of this nature. American International Pictures initially intended this to be the first of many fib sequels, including a Bride's of Doctor FIBs movie and possible crossover films within the American International Pictures horror universe, namely a Fibes Versus count Yorga movie more on this in a bit, But none of that happened. Again, there were shifts in what the public wanted from horror. There were shifts at American International Pictures, and so this was the last Fibes picture that we actually got those I'll discussed there are some novels out there. So if you want to really dig in your heels and enjoy more Anton fibes, well, there are ways to do it.
Speaker 3: So we have some trailer audio to hit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have the old radio spot for Doctor Fibes Rises again. Let's hear it.
Speaker 4: Flesh calls, blood curdles, the coffin hasn't been built that can hold him. Doctor fives Rises again, five way. Doctor Five's Rises again in an even more startling motion picture with a whole new gallery of gruesome gimmicks.
Speaker 2: Of torture and murder.
Speaker 4: See the scorpions Embrace, the Eagle's caress the sausage Machine. See Doctor Five's I'll duel his enemies with the most diabolical devices ever created. See Doctor Five's Rises Again, starring Vincent Price as the menacing Fives and Robert Quarry as the evil bider Becker. Doctor Five's Rises Again, All new from American International Pictures, rated FIGI.
Speaker 3: Parental guiding suggested.
Speaker 4: Doctor Fives Rises Again.
Speaker 2: All right, does that make you want to drive to your local cinema?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can smell the popcorn listening to that.
Speaker 2: Certainly, if you get the chance to see it at the cinema, I'd absolutely go for it. But let's talk availability in general. Yeah, as with the first film, the sequel is widely available for digital rental or streaming, as well as part of an excellent KL Studio Classics double feature Blu ray Doctor Fives double features what it's called. It has some fun extras on it. They have it at Video Drum here in Atlanta, and you can pick it up for like twenty odd box if you just buy it from most retailers, which I think is a steal for both movies, and again you get to own it as physical media at that point. I watched it on the KL release rented from the Drum.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I streamed it. It's available in multiple places.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think I started watching it several weeks back on a flight. I like downloaded to my phone before I had a flight because I was like, this is exactly the kind of popcorn. This is the kind of candy I need when I'm flying something like Doctor Fhibes.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's do those connections.
Speaker 2: All right, Starting at the top. The director and writer on this one is Robert Fwest nineteen twenty seven through twenty twelve, a British director noted for his unique genre style, returning here to direct a sequel to nineteen seventy one's The Abominable Doctor Fibes. It should come as no surprise that he came up through the Avengers TV show before making such features as nineteen Seventies and Soon The Darkness, a thriller, a nineteen seventy adaptation of Wuthering Heights with Timothy Dalton as Heathcliff, followed by the two Doctor Phibes films, nineteen seventy three's The Final Program, based on a Michael Moorcock novel starring John Finch, and then nineteen seventy five's The Devil's Rain, which we previously covered on Weird House Cinema as well, and after that mostly TV.
Speaker 3: Oh I forgot that he did The Devil's Reign.
Speaker 2: Yeah Yeah, which is a different type of feel, but also one that just really goes all out, at least in certain sequences when it comes to like just the visual flare and just the absurd weirdness of everything.
Speaker 3: All three of these are texture based movies. I would say they're not strongly story driven. They are driven by contriving interesting set pieces and scenarios and letting you look at them and enjoy the music and the costumes and the sets and all that. Absolutely, however, I will say I think his two Fibes movies are without a doubt, much better than The Devil's Rain.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, The Devil's Rain is irresistible as a satanic desert melt movie, but I think Fibes the Fibes films have broader appeal.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So the way I would put it is The Devil's Rain I think needs to be seen as like an artifact, like you should experience it for your edification and education. But the Fibes movies are just great.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Now the other writer on this, the other credited writer is Robert Bleeze, who lived nineteen eighteen through twenty fifteen. American writer and producer with screenplay credits going back to the early forties, including the fifty seven monster film, The Black Scorpion, fifty Eights from Earth to the Moon, Oh in nineteen seventy two's Frogs, which we watched on Weird House a while back.
Speaker 3: Hmmmm, this guy, I think I know his mo This guy really likes animal attacks.
Speaker 2: He's all about it. Apparently. His TV credits include episodes of such shows as Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Peter Gunn Colombo, Project UFO, and Airwolf.
Speaker 3: I wonder if his episodes of those shows had animals attacking people.
Speaker 2: I wonder, Yeah, especially ad Alfred Hitchcock Presents seems like an ideal place to have some animal related murder. It's always a nice twist.
Speaker 3: Yeah. His episode of Airwolf is like, oh no, there's a killer centipede in the cockpit.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Now, there's also based on characters created by credit for William Goldstein and James Witten. They were the writers on the original Doctor Fibes film, and I should point out that Goldstein apparently wrote a screenplay off his own for the sequel with the working title Fibus Resurrectus, which would have been amazing, but that was not the direction they went in.
Speaker 3: I'm glad you said it that way, Rob, because I could.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 3: The name is pronounced in the movie Fibes, but like, you can't call it Fibes resurrect us and pronounce it fibes, right, It would have to be like fibus or Phoebus resurrectus.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, while this sequel didn't see the light of day. Goldstein wrote the novelization of Doctor Fibes Rises again, just as he written as he's written the novelization for the first film. And what's more, while we didn't get any more Doctor Fhibes movies, he also wrote three additional Doctor Fibes novels which are out there and available. So, like I say, if you really want to go all in on the Fibes franchise, you have to continue doing so with the written word.
Speaker 3: It is difficult for me to imagine that the Fibes concept would work as well as a novel. Yeah, it seems really to rely on the magic of cinema.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, unless say, the texture of the writing would have to be just right, all right. As we mentioned, yes, Vincent Price returns as Doctor Anton Fibes. We're not going to go deep into Vincent Price because we've covered Vincent Price films multiple times already. But he lived nineteen eleven through nineteen ninety three. This is early seventies Price, so this is a time period when he's hitting some really iconic roles. But he's also this is all also happening just as the public's taste in horror films is shifting away from the traditional and the Gothic and everything that came before. So he really only had a handful of full blown Vincent Price starring horror films left in the tank at this point. But he'd also already cemented himself as a horror legend and a mainstream icons, so there was no shortage of work from here on out. The main films of note horror wise were Theater of Blood, to follow in seventy three, Matt Howson seventy four. Oh, Theater of Blood, Yes, you're a f I haven't seen that one.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it's in fact, it's much like Doctor Fibes. It is a campy, theatrical horror comedy that has elaborate revenge murders. It extremely similar to Fibes actually, all.
Speaker 2: Right, and then there's a House of Long Shadows in eighty three, and that's not counting some anthology hosting roles, and so yeah, from this point out, he's just he's doing a lot of TV appearances, he's doing a lot of appearances as himself, and of course he's doing a lot of those endorsements, right.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, the the no Jelly sandwiches. Yeah. Man.
Speaker 2: When we've covered about the show, we often discuss some of these particular things, yeah, like the no jelly that he endorsed. And I want to point out one that recently captivated me is that in what is This nineteen seventy two, the Anglestora Bitters Company ran an ad in The New York Times with a cutout coupon that you could send through the mail to receive a free Angostar of Bitters cookbook written and or hosted by Vincent Price What Yeah Yeah. And elsewhere they ran ads featuring Vincent prize and maybe a recipe right up or two. It's worth noting that he also wrote at least a couple of cookbooks with his wife, Mary Cooking price Wise. A Culinary Legacy is still in print, and it features some real nineteen seventies food photography. I mean, if you were a child of the seventies at all, or hav any nostalgia for like the seventies vibe, these are worth looking at. Lots of green with the food, maybe a little less green and maybe a little more on the brown side of things.
Speaker 3: Just a big old like ornate chafing dish full of cocktail oenies, and it's still kind of some fifties style flair, and do I see jello molds?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so. I'm at tempted to pick up a copy. I imagine a lot of it's way to meat heavy for me given the time period. But I did try out a version of the pink gin drink that he mentions in one of these full page spreads, and it was quite good, And so I was kind of imagining myself as Vincent Price sitting on one.
Speaker 3: Of these I love this. I've got to get one of these books. But I think you're exactly right when you mentioned the thing earlier about like this is sort of the only time when a movie like this would have made sense this early seventies period with Vincent Price, because it seems to be that he's like he's playing on a parody of the kinds of roles he played more seriously in decades past, like in you know, the more serious gothic horror of the earlier years, and as that's sort of fading out, you could look backwards with the memory of the enthusiasm for that genre and make a comedy movie like this playing on the same kind of flare but with a different tone.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. And at the same time, it's also interesting to think that the Fibes character is also either a definite influence or a possible influence on some of the horror icons that were about to emerge in the subsequent decades, you know, characters like Freddy Krueger, Chucky and ultimately the Jigsaw Murder of the Saw movies. That one feels like a direct influence, Like, let's take everything that Fibes is doing, and but we're gonna, you know, make it fit sort of like the grittier genre trappings of the day. And yeah, you have like a multi I can't even keep up with how many Saw movies are at this point, but it's a very similar basic concept it.
Speaker 3: I don't want to spoil your fun if you're a fan of the Saw franchise, So you know, we're all you know, we're all entitled to our own movie fun. But oh man, I could not imagine more different feelings created. But so they're both movies about a weird guy who sets up elaborate, sort of mechanized trap murders for people. But whereas the Saw movies I find just so grim and depressing and unpleasant. The Fibes movies are exactly the opposite, just kind of freedom and lightness and playfulness.
Speaker 2: Yeah, whether planning the next murder or planning his overall schemes, some song or dance may just break out spontaneously. Yeah, And that's where Fibes is a beautiful assistant and or muse enters the picture. This is Vulnavia, returning from the first film, this time played by Valley Kemp.
Speaker 3: I love Volnavia. So it is a different actress playing the role than in the first film, and I loved the Volnavia of the original. I love the Volnavia here too. Valley Camp is great and it's kind of hard to describe, but I feel like she she brings so much spice to the movie despite being a very like languid and unspeaking performance. So this is a character who is what is she is? She arguably a robot or like a clockwork being of some kind in neither in both movies, she doesn't speak, and she just and she in fact doesn't act super expressive in terms of like like she never moves very quickly or makes very broad expressions with her face, and yet she she enlivens every scene she's in. There's just something inherently funny and joyful about Volnavia. The way she just kind of like will placidly like pick up one of the instruments of one of these murder traps and kind of like give it a rattle and check it out or something. And the way she's like, you know, like wandering through one of the scenes where Fibes is playing the organ just like lazily lifting her arms in like a halfway dancing mode. Vulnavia is so great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like, there's there's a much later scene where they're decorating the set for their upcoming victory, but it's like some insights like, yeah, they they have to put in the work, Like there's a lot of work that goes into meticulously creating your art deco subterranean layer.
Speaker 3: In an Egyptian temple under a mountain.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is like they're decorating for Christmas. But Vulnavia is she is fun in every scene she's in. She makes everything funnier and more whimsical.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, Kemp was a Kenyan born Australian model and this was her biggest acting role she had very she had I think very small background roles in seventy five's Rollerball and also nineteen eighty one's The Great Muppet Caper, So another Muppet connection because of course Vincent Brice gets started in The Muppet Show.
Speaker 3: Now, we should be clear that the character of Volnavia, who was played by Virginia North in the first movie, she dies at the end of Oh, yes movie, right, she clearly dies. Ye, She's like, I don't know about dies is I don't call that TX she did. Yeah, It's like she's a robot of some kind or some kind of clockwork organism, and she is destroyed by acid.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, she is destroyed by acid. And I was reading that. Originally they were like, well, we're going to bring in a new character to be the assistant, and the studio was like, no, it's gotta be Vulnavia. We love Volnavia. And they're like, okay, fine, it's Vibes too. This is not a rocket science. We can bring her back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, give the people what they want. I'm glad she's back.
Speaker 2: All right. Now you mentioned the antagonist. The credits describe both Vibes in this character as the protagonist, so you know you can make of that way you will, but you.
Speaker 3: Choose your own side, pick which one you want to be allied with.
Speaker 2: Yes, though of course it would be unwise to side with anyone other than Doctor Fibes in a Doctor Fibes movie, but still a formidable adversary in the Forum of Darius bider Beck, played here by Robert Quory who lived nineteen twenty five through two thousand and nine.
Speaker 3: Now, I think the character's name in the movie, I think the other characters pronounce it Darius, but in multiple sources online I've seen it spelled dare Us like da r r Us other times Darius. I think Darius is right, but I'm not one hundred percent there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we will call him bider Beck as most people call him in the film. Okay, But Corey was an American actor with mainstream TV and film credits going back through the nineteen fifties, but the nineteen seventies saw him thrust into an increasing number of first science fiction and then horror films, many for American international pictures. He appeared in the nineteen seventy universal sci fi film called Losses The Foreben Project, and starred as the titular vampire. The same year in aipis count Yorga Vampire, which spawned a nineteen seventy one sequel, The Return of count Yorga. Publicity materials for the Yorga films called the character the death Master, and then in nineteen seventy two they made there was a vampire film titled Deathmaster with Corey in the lead role, but it's apparently unrelated. He plays a hippie vampire in that called Corda.
Speaker 3: I want to see this guy as a hippie vampire.
Speaker 2: So more Yorga films were apparently planned, including one in which he lives in the sewers of Los Angeles, and there was indeed talk of a Fibes Versus Yorga film, but that didn't happen either, again seemingly due to changes in the public's appetite for horror and business changes at AIP.
Speaker 3: Wider Beck in this movie is, as I said earlier, I think a great addition to the film. It's nice to give Fibes a foil, like somebody who you really feel like could stand up to him potentially yea. And the way that Corey plays bider Beck is is a little bit part Dracula, a little bit part Elvis. This is gonna sound weird, but stay with me here, part Shatner, but also just all smooth Transatlantic money bags and a smoking jacket.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and all of these things make him mostly unafraid of Fibes, Like he respects Fibes at least eventually as an adversary, but he's never completely afraid of him, or at least afraid of anything that could happen to him personally.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a strange duality to this character, which is that on one hand, he's really defined by fear, Like his character's entire motivation is driven by a sort of sense of panic about his own impending personal catastrophe. That the reason he's going to Egypt is to avert it. And we'll get into that when we talk about the plot. But apart from that one centrol fear that drives everything he does, he seems to be basically fear less, like nothing, no obstacle or person or event really troubles him.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, so it's a fun performance. I really liked him in this. Now, there are various accounts that say that Price and Corey didn't get along and may have, you know, sort of argued with each other and or insults at each other. I don't know who can say. It's all hears saying they'd worked on some of the same TV shows over time, though I'm not sure ever in the same episode, you know, especially when it came to anthology type affair and more to the point, they'd work with each other again after this in nineteen seventy four's Madhouse. Corey worked in various genre pictures and TV shows throughout the seventies, including the nineteen seventy four blaxploitation film sugar Hill, which has some very creepy voodoo zombies in it. But Corey was apparently in a bad auto accident in nineteen eighty, and he came back in the late eighties and acted in a number of B movies, frequently working for director at Olin Ray up through about nineteen ninety nine.
Speaker 3: Oh, I briefly had to look and see, like, wait, what do I know by fred Olin Ray? And I'm just like, oh, I recognize his name from like picking up the boxes of movies and looking at them and then not renting them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, there may be some fred Olin Ray that would be a good fit for Weird House. But I cannot point to one off the top of my head.
Speaker 3: He did one I've I've looked at kind of seriously called Alienator. That seems to be a fight, a quite clever combination of the Alien and Terminator themes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Robert Correy's in that one.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, well, maybe maybe that means it's worth looking at them.
Speaker 2: I mean, Jan Michael Vincent, John Philip.
Speaker 3: Law, John Phill Oh my god, diabolics in it. Yeah, okay, well, maybe we do need to see Alienator. Then I'll at least check it out see if it's if it's worthy of Weird House.
Speaker 2: All right, now, Bider becks romantic interest. They're not yet married, is this character Diana? And Diana is played by Fiona Lewis born nineteen forty six, British actress whose credits include sixty sevens The Fearless Vampire Killers, seventy three's Blue Blood with Oliver Reed, the nineteen seventy four Dracula movie that stars Jack Palance as Dracula. That's Interesting, seventy fives list, Domania, seventy seven's Tintorera Killer Shark, seventy eight's The Fury, eighty three Strange Invaders, in nineteen eighty seven's Inner Space.
Speaker 3: Tinterera is one of those I can't believe I sat through this memories. That was a very unpleasant bad movie. From what I recall, and I've watched a lot of Jaws ripoffs.
Speaker 2: That's a Cardona Junior picture.
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, I recalled that one. Well, it's been a long time, so I don't want to say too much detail about it because I can't recall for sure, but it was it was not a fun time for me. However, I think Fiona Lewis is great in this movie. She's sort of the main actually sympathetic character, so she is of the non Fibes aligned side of the film. She's the person you actually identify with. She's basically innocent of the of the avarice and hubris and violence that drives the other characters, and she just loves she loves her fiance bider Beck, and she wants to understand what it is that's driving him to go to these extreme measures and force her to travel to Egypt with him and all this stuff, and so when she's in peril at the end, I was really feeling it. I was like no, no, I like Diana I don't want her to be impaled by snake toungue spikes in a flooded room that's being filled with the waters of the nile. It's a whole setup. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the same cannot be said for pretty much any other victims. Yeah, it's like generally it's like, oh, Fibes is going to kill this guy next, all right, I see what he's got.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So they succeed in making Diana actually quite sympathetic and likable, and that when she's in peril in the end, it is true suspense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right. Now, this next character actor, I want to mention it's a smaller part, but a very memorable part. He will be the first victim of doctor Phibes. But this is the character Manservant Cheng, played by Milton Reid who lived nineteen seventeen through possibly nineteen eighty seven. So this is an Indian born British character actor and at least one time professional wrestler. His father was apparently of Scottish descent and his mother was Indian. He began his career as a pro wrestler on the British scene, performing as Mighty Chang. According to Howard Maxford, in the book Hammer Complete. He began a long career playing strongmen, hnchmen and bodyguards in nineteen forty four's The Way Ahead, but then went onto a mass a forty plus movie filmography. Highlights in c Rolls in fifty eight, Blood of the Vampire nineteen sixty, Swiss Family Robinson seventy one, Blood on Satan's Claws seventy five is the Return of the Pink Panther nineteen seventy seven's The Spy Who Loved Me. In that one, he is the number two henchman under Richard Keel's Jaws. Reid here was also uncredited in Doctor No as a henchman, And indeed I look had to look up some stills and yeah, you see him in the background. He's unmistakable. It's a very distinct look, very rugged face, often with it like a shaved head, and he's this kind of a fierce grin.
Speaker 3: He has an incredibly thick, dense physique. He looks like somebody who would just like crush pumpkins with his hands as a party trick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was looking up about his biography here. Apparently he moved back to India late in his career to be with his mother and his sister, but apparently made a go at acting in Hindi language films there. He appeared in three of them in small parts, but one of them is the nineteen eighty five Ramsey Brothers film Telephone. So interesting connection here to director, directors and filmmakers that we've talked about on the show before. And then Reid apparently died of a heart attack sometime after this in eighty six or eighty seven, but exact death the exact death date has been disputed.
Speaker 3: The Ramsey Brothers were the creators of Kurana mon Deer.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, so, and you know, certainly they they liked actors with interesting looks to play their heavies and their monsters. But it seems like it was maybe, you know, ultimately just too late in his life and in his career to really like make a go of it in Indian cinema. But you know, we can imagine what could have been had he lived longer. Again, not a huge role in this picture, but he has a great look, great hinching, and it makes for a memorable first death, which we'll get to here in a bed agreed, all right. This movie also has a number of cameos, and I'm not gonna spend a lot of time on these, but we have several cameos and continuing roles that are carrying over from the first Fibes movie. I'm going to run through them real quick. Caroline Monroe is back playing the deceased Victoria Regina Fibes. She is not alive in the previous picture. She's not alive in this movie, but the actor is still alive. She was born in nineteen forty nine and she reprises the role here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've talked about Carolyne Monroe before, but it's an interesting role that she plays basically a barbie in a box like she's like she's just in suspended animation the entire film.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, it's our Inspector Harry Trout is back, played by Peter Jeffrey who lived nineteen twenty nine through nineteen ninety. Also, his boss, Superintendent Waverley played by John Catter, who lived thirty two through two thousand and nine, is also back on the case. So local Britain law enforcement is in place to go after Fibes in this international caper.
Speaker 3: For some reason, the London cops chase Fibes to Egypt.
Speaker 2: Yes, all right. Peter Cushing is in this in a very small role. He plays the captain of a ship that the characters are briefly on.
Speaker 3: I don't know if this role was written for Cushing, because if it was, I feel like they might have given it a little bit more flair. It's just sort of a momentary walk on, which he does quite well with. But it's not a role that demands a lot.
Speaker 2: No. No, Apparently Cushing was considered for the Joseph Cotton roll in the first film, and yeah, it's basically just a cameo here. So I don't know. They're just like, hey, Cushing, you want to come in and hang out on set for a few days, and he's like, Tusher.
Speaker 3: Hey, remember how in the previous Fibes movie Terry Thomas was in it and he was definitely murdered.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, well he's back, but as a different character. In the first one he was this Let's see, what what's the Is he a rake or is he a fop? I can't remember what the British terminology is there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's both. He's a he's a bounder. I don't know, he's a he's like a rich British guy who is he really enjoys drinking and watching dirty movies on a film projector. And while he's enjoying his two favorite activities, somehow they they come and get him. Do they do? They kill him with a snake? Is this an animal attack from the first movie?
Speaker 2: It may it may be. I think you're right, yeah, but they definitely definitely get him because he's one of the doctors in the first film that Fibes is after Terry Thomas. That's Terry hyphen Thomas. He's popped up in a at least a couple of different movies we've talked about in the show before. This was exactly the kind of character that he excelled at, playing a bounder, a fop or a rake, some sort of British man of low character, you know, untrustworthy, up to know good, a bit of a creeper, and then it's generally a delight when this character is either embarrassed or outright murdered.
Speaker 3: He played characters of high social class and low moral character.
Speaker 2: There you go, Yeah, that's that's that's that's that's that's his character work to a t right there. So he's back in this film, not playing the same character. It's just a brief little cameo, but it's still a lot of fun, stammering, eyes, darting, all the usual Terry Thomas stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, yeah, he's just like a guy who gives a couple of clues to the police, and he doesn't get murdered or anything. It's just a brief scene, but they do manage to work in that he is lecherous, yes, all right.
Speaker 2: And then we also have Hugh Griffith. This is a rare case where I think his role in this film is more substantial than his role in the last film. He played a rabbi in the first movie that was brought in to uh to advise and consult on something, and in this he is one of these bider becks right hand man. So yeah, Hugh Griffith, who lived nineteen twelve through nineteen eighty.
Speaker 3: Now, I already mentioned earlier that a big part of the appeal of this movie is the sets. The Abominable Doctor Five's really thrives on creating weird, beautiful sets and just having the character's waltz around within them.
Speaker 2: That's right, And so the same set designer worked on this film as well. This is Brian Eatwell returning live nineteen thirty nine through two thousand and seven. Yeah, absolutely ideal that you have the same guy working on this film, because the look is absolutely important. Now the music is different. The first film scores by Basil Kirchen, who had experience with both big bands and experimental music, and I think that was really telling in that particular score. This time around, it's John Gail, who lived nineteen thirty two through twenty fifteen, who only composed two scores, this one in the score for nineteen seventy nine's Mister Selke. His compositions and arrangements, however, pop up in various other films, such as seventy five Shivers and the nineteen ninety six film Emma. This score seems to lean toward heightened religious numbers and a little jazziness thrown in from time to time. I think it absolutely works. It's over the top, imperfectly befitting this film.
Speaker 3: Agreed. I like the music.
Speaker 2: All right, it's signed for Doctor Fibes to Rise again. Let's jump into that plot.
Speaker 3: All right. Well, we talked about how I don't think you really need to watch these movies in order, especially because at the beginning of this movie they give a recap of the previous one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're just like previously on Doctor Fibes, and you get a full recap.
Speaker 3: That's right. So we get this narration by a man with a deep serious voice saying, the incredible legends of the abominable Doctor Fibes began a few short years ago, all of them unfortunately. True narrator here, by the way, is the late voice actor and announcer Gary Owens, who was apparently also the original voice of Hannah Barbera's Space Ghost. Among his many narrator and announcer credits going back to the early sixties, if you look at his at his like IMDb credits, you know he played like a radio announcer or announcer of some kind in like all the TV show McHale's Navy and stuff. But one of his earliest credits I found was the Texas Duke of Schlock Larry Buchanan's nineteen sixty one film The Naked Witch. You will never guess what this movie is about, but the film is notable to me because despite the rather bold pitch of the title, literally the first ten minutes of the film are just Gary Owens talking about witchcraft while we pan over Hieronymous Bosh paintings. So like and Owen. The movie is less than an hour long in total, so like a full fifteen percent of it right at the beginning is just Gary Owens going on about you know they would gather at midnight for orgies of filth and depravity. But anyway, yeah, shows you you can start with Larry Buchanan and work your way up to an American international picture. Yeah, recapping the deeds of Vincent Price. But anyway, here's what we learned from the recap, and it is spoken with tremendous authority by g. Gary Owens. So we learned that doctor Anton Fibes did amazing murders that is a quote, amazing murders of diabolical revenge in London, revenge against whom and for what, against those responsible for the death of his beloved wife Victoria, and for the destruction of his own face, which is revealed right at the beginning of this movie. I don't remember how long they made you wait to see it in the movie before, but this time you get it right at the top. It's basically a groady skull face without lips with kind of zipper teeth, but he wears a mask that makes him look like Vincent Price with pale, purplish makeup on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think he has a little bit there's a little bit of like clockwork as well, you know, like some gadgets, you know, because he's been his voice has been reconstructed and so forth.
Speaker 3: We see him eat and drink through a hole in the back of his neck. He like reaches back. There's a joke in this movie where at one point Vulnavia cooks a fish for him and he gets a fork full of the fish and sticks it in the hole in the back of his neck and then looks distressed and then pulls a bone out of his neck.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I would describe the look of unmasked Vibes as kind of like steampunk Google.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, there you go. And speaking of the steampunk or the mechanisms, we are reminded that the only way Fibes can speak is through quote an ingenious mechanism in his neck. So basically, it's a hose jack that goes into the side of his neck. He screws the hose into it and it allows him to talk through machines of various kinds. So he'll hook it up to a phonograph and he can speak through a phonograph or to an organ, or to like a tuba or a suzophone. Yeah, though I recall I feel like in the first movie he didn't talk as much as he does in this one.
Speaker 2: I think so. I think he was more mute in the first film and would pick and choose the times when he spoke. And this he's just constantly going on and on like it's you know, it's the funk of forty thousand years. Yes, every fifteen minutes or.
Speaker 3: So, my be levied Victoria, we will live for eternity to gather.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: So we're told in the narration that the most brilliant minds of Scotland Yard were baffled by the amazing murders, each more fiendish than the last. And in the sound proved basement of his mansion, no one could hear his flambuoyant songs of triumph and revenge played on his organ and by his ingenious clockwork musicians. This is another thing from the first movie. He has a robot band.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The name of the band is on the kick drum. They're called the Clockwork Wizards.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, I forgot about that. Yeah, the Clockwork Wizards.
Speaker 3: Yeah, kind of electric Wizard. Yeah. So anyway, at the end of the last movie, what happened is the police are closing in and doctor Phibes put himself into suspended life next to Victoria, his wife, who's also in suspended life. He does a kind of self embalming procedure where he replaces his blood with embalming fluid.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, and this is all pretty groovy, and I have to stress the recap here makes it clear that we are not abandoning the tone of the first film, right, you know, we're not doing a soft relaunch of the brand. We're not you know, going into some sort of a gritty, you know, exploration of the topic, you know, praise of Cyrus, because we're sticking to what were right.
Speaker 3: So we come in three years later and what was it Vincent Price is waiting for before he resurrects himself. It's something about the heavens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we basically were quickly told that he did not join his wife and death at the end of the last film after all, but rather entered to the state of suspended animation until like astronomical or astrological conditions are such that it befits his grander scheme, which of course concerns resurrection and internal life.
Speaker 3: And Vincent Price really hams it up on his resurrection and what he does when he first comes awake.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, glorious resurrection music again that has that just heightened over the top religious air. That the wafting of incense, and once more to that amazing electric organ that he plays with like the red neon lights. It's covered in dust now, but you know, he sets down and he begins to play.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we see him dusting off the keys, like cracking his knuckles dramatically. He hooks up his neckos and tells us that he timed his resurrection to a position of the moon that last occurred two thousand years ago. And then we're gonna learn about his plot. He says, we shall embark to the land of Egypt, where years ago, in a mountain overlooking the valley of Pharaoh's I did prepare for us a wonder shrine unknown by any living man there might be loved. Awaits the key to resurrection for you and eternal life for both of us.
Speaker 2: So there you have it.
Speaker 3: There's the mission, right, and a lot of what Vincent Price says for the rest of the film is just variations on that over and over again. Yeah, like you will be resurrected. I possess the secret key. I know how Egypt will save us. But fortunately Fibes is not going to have to accomplish this mission alone.
Speaker 2: Yep, because here it comes vull Nava and she basically just appears. She kind of just comes drifting out of this crystal hallway. Again, it's kind of an ambiguous whether she is now an angel or a muse, a robot, or some supernatural being that aids Vibes in his quest. But I guess she has corporeal form because she helps him book travel arrangements with later on. So she has a physical reality, But we don't know exactly what she is, and I guess we don't have to in a film of this tone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you don't know, and you don't need to know. She basically he says her name, She materializes from thin air, She pushes through some bead curtains and like vamps her way up to the organ throne and it just works.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I like to think she's a muse. In the Greek mythological tradition though.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, oh, And he further explains his plot to her. He says, thank you my idea for answering my call. Upstairs in my safe is a most precious map of papyrus, a way to a FAO's tomb, under which flows once every two thousand years, the river of life. We must make haste and find the river at its flood? Should we do a sidebar here on what exactly is going on between Fibes and Volnavia. So, Rachel and I watched this movie together, and we both had questions about this because while the goal is for Fibes to resurrect his beloved wife and they can live together again, it almost seems like he and Volnavia are an item. I don't know if, like if Victoria is gonna wake up and be like, now you will be my second wife. Like Vulnavia and him, they dance around, they seem to go on dates sort of. I don't know exactly what the nature of their relationship is, but it seems they're more than just friends. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I guess that's another reason I kind of land on the meuse identification because it seems like there is a closeness there, but maybe there is just something inherently preventing them from being an item, Like she is a Greek ancient Greek supernatural being that just wants to see him be his best self and achieve his artistic dreams. But you know they can never actually be together or I mean, I don't know. Don't we know that he really loves his wife and he wants her back, and maybe, I don't know, maybe they have more of a a libertine arrangement when it comes to these things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't. I mean, to be clear, we never see them like kissing or anything like that. It's never that over. It's just ambiguous what's going on with the two of them anyway. Oh, but we get a wonderful set piece here because Vulnavia joins Vincent Price at the organ and he's like playing the music, and then what happens We get the elevator organ.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it rises up into what should be the Fibes mansion that I guess is held in some sort of a trust or something or has robots looking after it. But much to Fibes' irritation, Uh oh, they've ascended not into this mansion, but into its ruins. Everything is just initially it's like a post apocalyptic ruined hellscape, and you're.
Speaker 3: Like, what happened They like pop up in the prologue of Terminator two. Yeah, that's it's just this gray world of dust and skulls, I mean not quite skulls, but the house is completely ruined and it's like a wasteland. And and Fibes demonstrates his disappointment by playing a dissonant chord on the organ. Also, I should know that somehow, I think they have like magically they've like changed clothes by coming up, because now Volnava is wearing the tall furry hat that she wears in part one, and I'm glad to see that's back.
Speaker 2: Excellent.
Speaker 3: But so they go searching for his safe among the rebel to get the papyrus, and Fibes finds it empty, and he's furious. Who could have stolen his precious papyrus map Only someone who seeks eternal life as he does, and does he immediately know who? Does he? Just at this point say bide Beck, I think he does.
Speaker 2: Ah, Because right after this we cut to bite her back and we get to meet him, and we instantly see this is a man that is very determined, a man obsessed with the pursuit of eternal life via ancient Egyptian sorcery. And we meet him in his study attended by Hugh Griffith from the first film here playing his archaeologist Buddy Ambrose.
Speaker 3: Now we've talked about the sets in the movie, and a lot of the sets are doctor Fib's mansion with the beautiful organ and the clockwork band and the weird lights and all that, and the layer he sets up inside the temple. But another one is just at bider becks house, his wreck room. Here. It is glorious. It's got a snooker table, roaring fireplace, priceless stolen art from ancient Egypt on the walls, and this brigade of like six identical forest green pendant lamps that hang down to like like chest height.
Speaker 2: What. Yeah, it's a stunning shot when we first see him, because we see the lamps and then a reflection of the lamps and then bider Becks figure in the background. Like it's a great case of just initially introducing a character with enough visual flare that you don't know who this guy is, but you can tell that he's important.
Speaker 3: Yes, and he is important. Bider Beck and Ambrose are adventuring archaeologists who have been scouting out locations in Egypt looking for a particular temple where the pharaohs of old would access the secrets of eternal life. And bider Beck reveals he's got the papyrus. He was contacted by a dealer who discovered this papyrus in the ruins of a demolished mansion in Maldi and Square because of his interest in the document. Well because so like it was known among the world of antiques dealers that he wanted this papyrus, and so they found it and they brought it to him. And I guess this is also how Fibes knew that bider Beck would have wanted it like that. He it was just known that this guy was looking for it. And then later we see Fibes spying on the wreck room through the window, so he's here, he knows what's up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So bider Beck explains to Ambrose that astronomy is the key to understanding the secrets hidden in the ancient Egyptian papyrus they obtained from the ruins. And then this is actually at least a casual nod to the importance the ancient Egyptians placed on the movement of the heavens. Though this, of course, is not the sort of film to get serious in its egyptomania.
Speaker 3: No, it's it's not engaging very deeply, like they make references to the Book of the Dead and stuff, but I think it is a very loose relationship to actual Egyptian mythology. Yeah, anyway, Ambrose is like bider Beck, you are a respected intellectual. You are acclaimed as one of he says, one of the most brilliant minds in the Western Hemisphere. He says, yet you seem obsessed with the spiritual, the mythical aspect of life, and bider Beck responds, of course, I'm obsessed with life. Like that's not quite what he said. But anyway, he says, and somewhere in Egypt that obsession will be answered. So we learned that they are headed to Egypt to find the temple, and bider Beck promises Ambrose that he can keep whatever gold they find, because bider Beck is not interested in gold he has he has his sight set on a different prize. Now Here are the film kind of toys with some of the some of that lost ancient knowledge lore because Darius spider Beck knows the location of the temple is called the Temple of Ibysis because of maps from thousands of years ago containing information that was not thought to have been discovered until after the Renaissance, things like the existence of rings around Saturn, and so these maps contain, you know, information that we didn't think the ancient Egyptians could have known, and these maps somehow also point out the location of the temple. Anyway, time to meet our non Fibes aligned heroine Diana. Bider Beck is Diana's fiance, and she barges into the snooker room dressed to the nine. She's got like a beautiful dress and furs, and she's like, oh, didn't you remember, darling, we are having dinner with the princess. So Darius goes up to change for dinner, and speaking to Ambrose, Diana reveals that she is not excited about going to Egypt. She explains that that Darius has been so preoccupied with something lately and this trip seems to be all he can think about. So she is an unsatisfied woman whose fiance has she knows he's hiding something. He has some kind of secret and she can't get it out of him anyway. On the way out of the house, we meet Bider becks Manservant Chang here, who we talked about earlier. They leave, and Chang by himself at the house, plays snooker, and outside we see Volnavia like with a car unloading a giant wicker basket from the trunk, and she gives the basket a shake, which is funny. And here we get to amazing murder number one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so this is your classic clockwork viper slash, real viper fake out into a death by pneumatic golden spike shape like a snake hidden in the telephone that goes through your brain. The victim, of course, is Manservant Chang.
Speaker 3: This is so good. So yeah, he's playing snooker, he hears snakes, he sees snakes, He kills one of the snakes with his pool cue. Then he realized. He picks up the body and realizes it was not a real snake. It was a clockwork snake. Then he sees another snake and he's like, ah, it's just a clockwork snake. So he picks it up and then realizes that there's like a wind up clockwork piece of it, but it's not actually part of the snake. It's just taped to a real snake. And then the real snake bites him, and then he realizes the bite is venomous, and he like cuts it and tries to suck out the poison and then runs to the telephone I guess, to call for help, and then the telephone is booby trapped and sends a spike through his brain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the spike is a gut is made of gold, or at least colored gold, and shape like a snake. It's wonderful.
Speaker 3: Now, I don't want to spoil the fun, but my question is, did Fibes in Vulnavia need the snakes? Couldn't they have hear me out here, called the telephone and spiked him when he answered, well.
Speaker 2: Where's the fun in that? It is absolutely essential. The snakes are key here.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, but so yeah, they spike him, and then they go to the safe and they get bider Beck's papyrus. They get vibes of papyrus back. It was rightfully his. That's right.
Speaker 2: So we're off to a really great start with just an overly elaborate kill here.
Speaker 3: So later we see the police investigating and it's Inspector Trout again. So the main thrust of the scene is bider Beck being like, look, I don't care that this man is dead. I want my stolen papyrus back at once. Their conversation is pretty funny. Bider Beck insists that the culprit is a common thief because he says that no one who knew of the value of the papyrus would have stolen it, would have stolen it or done a murder. And Trout is like, wait, you're saying a common thief killed your man servant with live snakes and clockwork snakes and a booby trapped murder telephone, And bider Beck is like, what are you implying. I think the idea is this was a known assailant, This was a premeditated in some way. So yeah, we're about to head off to Egypt, but first.
Speaker 2: We get another organ monologue here from Fibes, and he lets us know that he's already been to Egypt and he's built a palace beneath the stone to await this key moment, So you know, don't spend a lot of time trying to construct the timeline here of when Vibes had the time to make this earlier. You know, maybe it was, you know, earlier in his career and as a doctorate of theology. But just trust us. He's been there, he scoped it out, he's created a layer, and now it's time to go back and get the job done.
Speaker 3: That's right. And they're going to travel by steamship.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, oh man. And do they ever travel?
Speaker 3: This is great. Fibes in Volnavia are not traveling light. So first of all, they take along Carolyn Monroe in this giant barbie box. It's like a human sized, sealed display case with a glass front. It's got purple curtains, carnival lights all around it, sometimes a microphone inside, like she's about to sing a jazz number, but unfortunately she never does. And then they also take the clockwork wizards with them, so the robot band comes along on the trip, and this will continue to play a role in the plot.
Speaker 2: See Vulnavia accepts and supports doctor Fibes utterly. She's not saying, do we really need to bring a robot band? In twenty seven elaborate death elaborate death traps on our voyage. No, no, she just makes it happen because she knows that this is who he needs to be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she has faith in his vision. So on the ship. Oh, also we see like Vincent Price and Vlnavia just like waltzing on the deck. You know, they're they're really they're excited about their trip. Fibes is monologuing with his neck plug plugged into a phonograph about how Victoria will rise again and he will hold her in his arms. And then we go to bider Beck's cabin, where we got a plot reveal. Bider Beck is writing in his diary. He says, I am taking three drops of my elixir of life. The vials are almost empty. If I fail in Egypt, I am doomed. Then we see him dole out a few drops into a tiny spoon and swallow them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so this is our first realization that bider Beck really isn't a normal person. He's not just an an exceptional human, but there is something unnatural about him, because he's maintaining this appearance of being like, you know, a well maintained middle aged man kind of. But how old is he really? How long has he been taking this magical elixir to sustain his life?
Speaker 3: Right, So we have this idea now of why bider Beck is so desperate to get to Egypt and get to the temple. He's using this elixir to stay alive and he's almost out of it. This is his last chance to survive. After he takes the drops, he like goes and examines his skin in the mirror as if he worried, like is it working? And we also see that he keeps this secret closely guarded, so he goes to hide the elixir when somebody comes near, and then we see bider Beck and Ambrose discuss how the mountain temple holds a great secret. He's not going to reveal it just yet. And Diana is like listening at the door, hoping to discover the root of her fiance's obsession, but no dice. So Ambrose leaves the cabin, giving way to Amazing murder number two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so basically Ambrose goes into the ship's hold here to get something like research materials or something. I forget exactly what he's down there for.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's looking for something, and the like the captain and not the cabin somebody's showing him around, but he gets distracted when he comes across some large set pieces.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a giant Miller's gin bottle. Now I'm unsure if doctor Phibes brought this or if this is like some sort of a promotional thing for Miller's Gin that they're about to do, like either in Egypt or some their port of call.
Speaker 3: It's like a giant advertisement. So it's a giant Miller's brand gin bottle with cardboard cutouts of chorus dancers. I don't know. But then he stumbles across Fibes's cargo, including Victoria in her original packaging and the clockwork wizards, and he starts like fiddling around with the controls on them, and he shouldn't have done that, because then he is ambushed by Fibes, and we don't see in exactly what form, but we see Fibes at the edge of the ship clearly throwing something overboard. And then later bider Beck is visited in his cabin by Peter Cushing, playing the captain of the ship, and he explains that he's been circling the area for hours and he pledges to use every power, his every power to find Ambrose in the hope of rescuing him, and bider Beck is like, nah, this has taken too long. Put us back on the original course at once.
Speaker 2: Yep, But then we then we're gonna find out, Okay, how did he kill Ambrose? Why did we see that giant gin bottle? How are these two things gonna possibly be connected? While Ambrose washes up on shore inside dead inside the giant.
Speaker 3: Gin bottle, one of the police that's recovering him from the water is like, how do you get in there in the first place? And the other one says, blighter must have drunk his way in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So we have no idea, there's no there's no explanation for how he got Ambrose into the bottle.
Speaker 3: So the murder of Ambrose leads to the police inquery. Here where we start, we meet our main two police characters. I guess we've already met Inspector Trout, but we also meet his boss, Superintendent Waverley, and they have a sort of vaudeville comedy duo. Dynamic Trout is I think the way I put it is that Trout is like simple literal and not too bright, but he's usually correct, whereas Waverley is uptight and irritable and usually wrong. We learn from their interaction that Ambrose's body has been recovered from the sea, and for some reason, Trout is involved in this investigation. I'm not quite sure why, yeah, but so they through them, we meet several other characters who are not going to come back. We just like get some clues from them. So they get a visit from Beryl Reed, playing a relative of Ambrose. This is only one year before her role in Psychomania, as I think she is the witchcraft, the witchcraft practicing mother of our sort of Nigel Toughnell youth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, you're right on that. Yes, she was the witch She had like second billion in that yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah. And then we also get a visit from Terry Thomas, who plays a sniveling, lecherous booking agent of the steamship that all of our characters took to Egypt, and by gathering details from him, I think this is how the cops put together that the murderer must be Fibes. What exactly were the deciding factors here? I think the elaborateness of the murders and the fact that he's traveling with clockwork musicians.
Speaker 2: I think that'll do it. That's enough evidence that you can get any any court in the land to agree with you. It's all right, this is probably Fibes.
Speaker 3: So the parties all arrive in Egypt. We get the scene. It's a great scene where Fibes in Vulnavia are like, I don't know, they're having like a lunch date in this tent on top of a sand dune, and Volnavia has cooked a fish. And this is the bone scene. The bone and the next scene, and then they enter the temple under the mountain where Fibes has established a jazzy layer I think with electricity maybe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's it's a it's like a full Art deco kind of thing. They're still working on it a little bit. We see scenes later where they're they're painting and so forth. So it's a full production, but clearly a lot of work has been done. Right.
Speaker 3: So bider Beeck, we learn, has hired a team of archaeologists and workers to help him unearth the secrets of the temple. And of course these guys are just you know, meat for Fibes traps, and this is really what most of the rest of the movie consists of maybe we'll kind of zoom out and talk more loosely about the plot from here on out, because what it is for the rest of the movie is is Fibes and bider Beck competing for control of the mechanism that will allow them to access eternal life underneath this temple. And the mechanism is there's like a sarcophagus, there's a big box, and then it also has a mechanism underneath it that releases a key, and with the box and the key, you can access this area underneath the temple where when the moon reaches a certain height and the waters drained away from the nile, you can go into this passageway with the gates opened by the key, and that will grant you eternal life. Is that how you understood it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Base, It becomes increasingly mythic towards the end of this obviously that this is going to be a magical river to eternal life somewhere in the underworld this temple.
Speaker 3: Right, But along the way, Fibes has to do a bunch more amazing murders.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so amazing murder number three is probably the least creative of the murders. This one is just a hawk attack. We've we've already seen this trained hawk hanging out with fibes, so it's not a surprise that he has one and it kills. I think the victim is this guy Shavers. He gets, you know, his face scraped up by the bird and then you know, some of his throat torn out or something, and there's some blood. I mean, it's it's telling that this is the laziest fibes murder and it involved him probably like training this bird from birth or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like it's some kind of eagle or something, and yeah, it just tears up his face and then we see it eating little bits of his flesh. Yeah, it's one of the archaeologists that works for bider Beck. I think it's understandable that this is the least elaborate murder because they just got in from long travel. I mean, you can imagine they're jet lagged and so he doesn't have time to like put together a bunch of equipment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but all man does he make up for it with the next one, because amazing Murder Number four is your classic scorpion death chair with the key dropped inside a plastered dog in his master's voice tableau. But the plaster dog is full of live scorpions.
Speaker 3: Right, So this is one of the workers at Biderbecks camp. He had been like ogling Diana, like, you know, staring at her silhouette as she undresses in her tent, and so he's he's established as the lecherous assistant. And then of course Volnavia is like, oh hi, I'm just a random beautiful woman walking out of the desert. Come with me. And he's like okay, And so he goes to her tent and then she locks him in a metal like a gold scorpion that stabs his arms with spikes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the claws, the claws.
Speaker 3: Of the scorpion. Yeah. And then you think maybe the stinger of the scorpion statue is going to stab him, but it doesn't. Instead, it's implied that the key to releasing him from this contraption is inside this plaster dog you mentioned. So he breaks the dog and is full of scorpions, and the scorpions crawl all over him, including like crawling crawling under his shirt and crawling down his pants, and I guess stinging him to death.
Speaker 2: That's right, yeah, And it and it is tremendous. It's a tremendous kill. I still have no idea what the whole his master's voice thing with the dog and the record player man like the RCA Victor dog motif. But it's part of it. It's part of the his plan, it's part of his design, so it must be important somehow.
Speaker 3: Now throughout this whole process, Diana is becoming increasingly wary because she uncovers the body of the of the guy who gets eaten by the eagle, that's like somehow buried under her tent. I don't know how that was arranged. She like digs him up, and she's like, something is not right here. We really need to get out of here. Why won't you reveal your secrets to me? And Bider becks Still he's keeping the secrets. He doesn't let her know, all right.
Speaker 2: So the next amazing murder, Amazing murder number five. This is the one that the trailer you heard earlier refers to as the sausage machine. It's not really a sausage machine. It's not really that gross, but what it is is death by solow compression in a giant vertical screw driven press while a giant fan outside generates enough wind, howling wind, to cover the sounds of the victim screams. And we should also note that just prior to this, before the victim drifted off to sleep, what was he reading. He was reading The Turn of the Screw.
Speaker 3: Perfect. It's like it's like Evil Dead two with the Farewell to Arms. Yeah, yeah, so this one is this one is one of the silliest because it ends up with him like he gets squeezed into a hole in a little box and then his head pops out the other side. The other characters come and look at it later and uh again, this is like this. So we were talking about how earlier there's not even really a very uh clear uh motive of revenge. But at least, like say, with the previous guy, you could say, well, like he was being a creep ogling Diana. So like when you see him get killed there, it's like, okay, at least he was being a creep directly before this. But this guy, I don't recall that this guy was doing anything.
Speaker 2: Now, this was the likable of the two. Yeah, he gets this this Grizzly novel death as well.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 3: Also, we should mention that somehow the police from London make their way to Biderbacks camp and they're like they're sleeping in the back of their truck and while the scene is going on, having like goofy conversations about the wind.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, it's unclear of why they have jurisdiction in Egypt, but they're here. So basically at this point in the film, uh, bier Back and Vibes still after the key, you know, back and forth there they've been in. The other people in bider Becks camp have convinced him, you know, this is really dangerous. Maybe you should send your girlfriend back. Maybe well actually they say you should leave too, but he's like, no, I'm staying. I'll send her back. And so there's a scene where Hackett, one of the other guys working for bider Back, is like, Okay, I'll take her back in the truck, back to the port or whatever. Yeah, and this is where we get amazing murder number six. This is death by Patriotic Music and flag distraction utilizing clockwork humanoid musicians. These are the clockwork wizards transitioning into a lethal in vehicle sand blasting booby trap where the sand blasts all the skin off of the victim and reduces him to a sand covered skeleton.
Speaker 3: Yes, So as they're driving away, Hackett sees the British flag flying on the other side of a sand dune, and then they hear bagpipes and he goes, look, it's the Scottish fusiliers. Ah, now we're saved from whoever's doing all these elaborate murders because we'll just go get their help. I think they actually know it's Vibes at this point, they're like, the Vibes can't stand against the British military. So Hackett leaves Diana in the car and he runs over the sand dune. Yeah, and he just finds the clockwork musicians there and so he's disappointed, runs back to the car. Diana is missing, she's been taken and when he gets in the car he gets sand blasted to death.
Speaker 2: So at this point where we lead into the final setting, So basically Fibes has Diana and he has put her in Amazing murder Machine number seven. This is intended to be death by slowly lowering snake themed ceiling spikes into all inside a custom flooded pyramid of doom. So Diana is strapped in there and basically like it comes down to this confrontation between Fibes and bider Beck. Look, you have the key, bider Beck. You've got to give it to me, otherwise your girlfriend's going to die in this pyramid of doom I built. And this is the final confrontation.
Speaker 3: That's right. And you know, there's an interesting turn at the end because while we've seen bider Beck mostly being selfish and uncaring about the deaths of his friends and associates as he pursues this way of escaping his doom and getting eternal life, at the very end of bider Beck is actually, I guess shown to be kind of sympathetic because he tries to argue his way out of it with Fibes. He tries to find a way to get the better of this, but in the end he is convinced that the only way he can save Diana is to give Fibes the key, and he does, and so he gives up the key, goes to rescue Diana, and then when he sees that she's gonna be all right, he runs back and he tries to gain access to the gates to get into the river of eternal life, but he just misses his window. Fibes takes Victoria on like a bull barge, little little boat, going down into this tunnel, and we're left with bider Becks there at the gates, like rattling them, shaking, shouting, fib.
Speaker 2: And then he rapidly ages, and I guess it's uncertain whether he dies or not or if he's just like super old, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's never made clear. We see him rapidly aging. It's like, you know, it's like at the end of the Last CRUs Indian Jones and the Last Crusade, like his hair gets long and white and he gets all wrinkly. But then we never see him crumble to dust or anything, and his fate after that is not shown, so we're left wondering does he die or is he just greatly aged. So Diana in the end is okay, and so that's good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so we end seeing doctor Fibbes and Victoria on their boat sailing down this tunnel into the darkness, into the underworld and presumably eternal life. And while this is taking place, doctor Fibbes begins to sing the lyrics to Somewhere Over the Rainbow, the song that also capped off the first film, only this time Doctor Phibbs is actually singing it. So what a treat, right, Yeah, a strong choice. I think I like it, So I guess happy ending. Really, we didn't get any more Fibes films. I don't know what happens in the novels, but as far as just the cinematic universe of doctor Fibes, this is victory for him. He will now live forever. Victoria will live again and live forever beside him, and who knows what kind of adventures they'll get into.
Speaker 3: Then we will see them together plotting elaborate revenge murders against like people who have wronged them in incredibly petty ways.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, there's always the possibility. I don't think he ever realized that Joseph Cotton's character from the first film got away. I think he assumed he died, but he didn't, So there's always that. Finally, one little thing I was wondering about. Okay, we have all these animal deaths, and you know what, we have snake, and then we have like a jar essentially we have hawk scorpion, some sort of press sand snake. I was wondering if these are supposed to be interpreted as hieroglyphics, because there are hieroglyphics that contain these basic elements. But I have no idea how to build upon that as to like what it would mean, like maybe the hiergovics just spell out fibes or something.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Vibes was here. I can't comment. Yeah, I like it though, So.
Speaker 2: There you have it. Doctor Fibes Rises again from nineteen seventy two. This one's a real treat. If you enjoyed the first film, highly recommend you check out the sequel here again you can. You can find it pretty much anywhere you get your movies. Just a reminder that Stuff to Blow your Mind is primarily a science podcast with core episodes and the podcast feed on Tuesdays and Thursdays, short form episode on Wednesdays, listener mail on Mondays, and on Fridays. We set aside most serious concerns to just talk about a weird movie here on Weird House Cinema. And if you want a full list of all those movies that we've covered over the years, and sometimes a peek ahead at what comes next, go over to letterbox dot com is l E T t E r box d dot com Our username is weird House. You'll find the list there.
Speaker 3: Huge thanks, as always to our excellent audio producer JJ Posway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest a topic for the future, or just to say hello, you can email us at contact at stufft Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 1: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.