Speaker 1: Good morning, Keeps, and welcome to wikate F Daily with me your Girl, Daniel Moody recording from the Home Bunker, Folks, I want to talk about before we jump into our conversation with our friend Jonathan Metzel, just recent polls that have come out and this idea that there is growing descent inside of the Democratic tent. And what I want to say is that I get it right. I'm the first person to say on a regular basis that Joe Biden is really ruining his chances of re election because of his staunch, quote unquote ironclad support of Netanyahu's genocide. And what we are seeing take place around the world are countries that are recognizing, one by one Palestine as an independent state, with three this week, Norway, Spain, and Ireland in a United press conference recognizing Palestine as a state. There are now one hundred and forty two of the one hundred and ninety two countries inside of the UN that are making this decision, and the United States is becoming increasingly isolated in this area. And while I'm looking at these numbers, and I'm looking at the fact that these countries have been changing their position right when they are polling on this issue, people are changing their position to where you know, prior to October seventh, but prior to nearly forty thousand depths in Palestine, you know, people were this was not top of mind and top of conversation. Now the situation has drastically changed. And the more death and the more feminine, the more despair that we are seeing play out on our screens, the more that other countries outside of the United States are putting a stake in the ground. And I'm wondering where the United States is going to be left right if they are standing alone next to Israel, right, And this is something that this president is going to really need to take into consideration, you know, moving outside of our foreign affairs, massive like fucking disaster. I want to take a look at where the polls are and we'll dig into this with Jonathan with a recent Vanderbilt pole, where people are in terms of their stances on abortion, particularly in these redder states like Tennessee where Vanderbilt University is. And what we are seeing is that since the overturning of Roe v. Wade, since the Dobbs decision, that people that were readily referred to themselves as pro life quote unquote are now pro choice right because what they believe in what we are seeing with every single headline that now is not just sufficient that we have overturned abortion rights in twenty states in this country, but that you see governors like Virginia's Glenn Youngkin who is not trying to have people have access to contraception, and you see signals coming from MAGA that contraception is next. And I just want folks to think about, just think for a fucking moment, what this country will look like if women and people with uteruses no longer have access to contraception right, if the birth control after pill like condoms, all of these things are just readily off the market and unavailable and become illegal in this country, what will happen to the prospects in the future of women. So go back to the fucking, you know, nineteenth century where Republicans are looking for legislation to uphold their draconian policies, because that's what the fuck it will look like. And again for folks to say, well, that can't happen. So I'm gonna, you know, move with my protest vote come November. Think fucking again, because after fifty years of access to abortion. We never thought that that would be overturned in our lifetimes, and yet here we sit. So just as you think that things can't get any worse, I want to promise you they fucking will. Coming up next my conversation with our friend, our in house doctor, doctor Jonathan Metzel. Folks, you know that whenever we have the opportunity to speak with our in house doctor, doctor Jonathan metzil, we are always thrilled. And Jonathan, you have some news and updates for us, so please share.
Speaker 2: Well, Hey, everybody, I've been I've been really burning it last couple of weeks. I'm just back from DC. I was at a conference. You and I have talked about this a little bit, but I coined this term structural competency, which I developed with some other people to look at how you can engage anti racist health education, not just about like changing people's identities or attitudes, but actually changing the structures that promote inequity. And it turned out that was just a term that I came up with at the end of my Protest Psychosis book, and then a bunch of scholars and I developed some papers and we found out that it's now going to be a requisite part of training for all medical students in the United States that actually this has been picked up by the Crediting Board, and so we had a meeting right now. This has obviously been in the works for a couple of years, but what does it mean to train all medical students? In other words, if you think of all medical students graduating, and there's caveats from history, you know where culture competency was this big thing, and then when it became something that everybody had to do, it just became like a checkbox thing that you just did to fill out the paperwork.
Speaker 3: And so we had this.
Speaker 2: Meeting to kind of figure out why, you know, what's the state of social justice and medicine and equity in this moment.
Speaker 3: And I'll be keeping people updated.
Speaker 2: On that, and so lots going on because of course it's also a serious moment because of the Supreme Court affirmative action decisions and what would happen to education if Trump won and all these kind of things, and so a lot of ballancing about how to further those things. And then next week I will say hi to everybody from Hawaii if anybody wants.
Speaker 3: To join me.
Speaker 1: The very tough place.
Speaker 3: You know, It's funny.
Speaker 2: I read the reservation, I'm like at the plannerser raised, I'm like you, And then I was looking at my itinery yesterday.
Speaker 3: You know how long it takes to get to Hawaii.
Speaker 1: From New York, like seven hours?
Speaker 3: It's eleven hour flight. Uh, you know why?
Speaker 1: I really did not know that I've ever been, so I had.
Speaker 2: No idea, and maybe I picked the slow flight that like goes, do you have a connection. No, it's straight flight. I don't think they are in the carpool lane maybe or something. I don't know, Oh my god. But yeah, so it's eleven hour lifting flight. But then you layand and it's like, hey, here's your you know why tie and all this stuff. But I'm going for that. I mean, let's be out someone. But I'm also going because the national it's called the ENCORE Conference, the Conference for Diversity Educators, is now and this is again the last of these meetings before the twenty four election. And so the question is what kind of mobilization do we want to do, what's the state of equity education? And what would happen if Trump won? It would be dramatic effects to things like accrediting boards and things like that, and so a lot coming from me about the state of equity, education and politics and how we can kind of get involved and think about things going up to November.
Speaker 1: Awesome, awesome, so well, exciting, all those exciting things, and you will keep us posted and let us know how that conference goes and we can talk about some of the outcomes from there as we close out one semester in school year and begin another in just a handful of months, and what that means for the upcoming election. One of the things that I want to turn turn the attention to, even though folks know that when I discuss polls, I want people to take them with a grain of salt, But there are sometimes polls that come out that I think offer us a better window into how the climate, how the culture is actually moving. And one of those polls, Jonathan, you brought my attention to that comes out of your university, the Vanderbilt Pole majority of Tennessee voters now pro choice, gender gap developing on key issues, and I just to read a couple of these stats and then we can we can jump in. So about a little over a thousand people were polled for this and this is what came out of this poll. Some of the top top high highlighted points. One, the majority of Tennessee registered voters consider themselves definitely or somewhat pro choice, including ninety three percent of Democrats, fifty four percent of Independence and thirty percent of non MGA Republicans. There is a vast differing of attitudes between men and women on key state issues that they're saying could prove influential on public policy. IVF and proposed gun control legislation have bipartisan approval, and sixty percent of Tennessee voters favor legalizing marijuana for recreational use. So let's dive into I think what is the most interesting, which is the abortion piece as well as the gun piece, right, because when we think about Tennessee, we do not think of it as a bastion for progressivism, right, and particularly since what has happened. Oh my god, Jonathan has been it's over a year since the shooting at the religious school.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a little it's about fourteen months style, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So about fourteen months since that shooting, we have seen marches on the state capitol. We have seen the two justices in the State House have to fight for their right to represent their constituents, and special elections have been censured. We've seen mothers thrown out of the gallery. But this poll seems to be giving us a different window and picture into how things have been moving since this Republican controlled legislature has basically bucked the will of the people. Were you surprised by some of the things that you were seeing in this poll come out? And what trends do you see as we go forward across the country.
Speaker 3: Well, it's great.
Speaker 2: My colleagues and political science do this poll regularly, and so it's kind of a barometer, especially of attitudes in Tennessee. And I think there are several important things to note. First, it is surprising how many people identify as pro choice even now, even after all this, you know, it's surprising that that is something that I think Democrats have rightly illustrated. In other words, if the election was held which Democrats wanted to be on women's reproductive choice, Democrats would win. And that's why you hear Kamala Harris and other people talking about this, because it's just something that people have accepted as a woman's choice, and that's been the law for quite a long time in this country, and I think in Tennessee, people are wary of a right being taken away, and so I think that you know, when you hear Democrats repeatedly go back to this, and I've seen some commentators here talking about, you know, why did Democrats keep talking about it? I'm like, dude, this is why keep talking about it is because actually it's something that people feel. It's something feel is pretty strongly. So that's part part of what I think we saw. The other thing is there's been a concerted move in red state Tennessee, especially after the Commonwealth shooting. We've got we've got candidates running for state house. The mom of the one of the victims of the waffle house shooting, Shandel Brooks, is running for a state house Covenant moms are running for state house. And so that shooting really, I think mobilized really a new kind of gun safety mobilization in what had been a relatively dormant issue.
Speaker 3: And I think that's important.
Speaker 2: As I've said many times in our conversations, I think that the answer to the gun issue is going to come through red state. It's not like blue states. We're not going to take blue state laws and just apply them to red states. Used to think that, but I don't believe that anymore. So that's the positive is there's a lot of mobilization going on. I think the three caveats that are big national caveats for.
Speaker 3: People to worry about.
Speaker 2: Number one is just because somebody says something on a pole doesn't mean they're going to vote for it as a wedge issue. And that's the trap that I think we fall into. A lot, like eighty five percent of people have always supported background checks, for example, but that doesn't mean if somebody doesn't support it as a candidate, they're going to vote that person out of office. And so part of the trick is how can you create this into a wedge issue which is not the same as supporting it in a poll. So that's very important Number one.
Speaker 3: Important.
Speaker 2: Number two is a lot of these things are wedge issues for Republicans but not for Democrats. And so, for example, overwhelmingly Republicans will vote on gun issues, but Democrats, you know, you ask them what's your key voting issue, and it'll give you twenty different answers. As it's harder to mobilize around these kind of polls. When I see Republicans all support something, I get much more concerned because it's like, man, we're in trouble.
Speaker 3: And then the third is.
Speaker 2: The Republicans have created a system that's immune to popular opinion. So one hundred percent of people could support a lot of these things, and yet because of the super majority jerimandering that's happened over the past couple of decades, which we're just now beginning to ship way up, but it took them fifty years to get there. One hundred people, one hundred percent of people could support something, and it doesn't mean anybody is going to lose the election. And so to me, those are the meta points. I'm happy to dig down into the specific gun points, which I think are pretty interesting, but I think those are the big metapoints.
Speaker 1: You know, I want to talk about the mobilization of a new kind of group of candidates. Right when you're talking about the Covenant moms, the moms of those students who were either killed or affected right by a school shooting happening there, as well as the waffle house, which you cover in your new book, What We've Become. I wonder, again, just digging into kind of the gender divide right and this idea that you have two issues that I think are really important issues to women and two progressives, which is abortion, access to abortion and gun safety. And when we look at abortion, I think that what's most surprising to me is that I believe that Republicans thought that they will have a slam dung in terms of overturning Roe v. Wade, and then everyone just kind of going quietly into the night when if people were saying, because what they've said in this poll, they were pro life until the Dobs decision was overturned, and now they're pro choice. So I'm curious as to I'm going to use a word that is the all always used in the negative, but I actually think that we need to reclaim it. What is it?
Speaker 2: Okay, you're going to say, you're going to say diversity.
Speaker 1: No, that diversity. I was going to say, what is it?
Speaker 2: It's going to be something about the alliance that keeps us all together?
Speaker 1: No, I'm going to go with radicalization. And I think, yeah that I think that, you know, the more that these school shootings happen in communities that think that they are insulated or protected from these types of shootings, which we've seen more and more happen in suburbs. I believe that this Covenant School was one of the first religious schools that we've seen it happen, although we've seen shootings at synagogues and at churches and this abortion issue. I'm just curious for you because again, we saw mothers be thrown out of the state House for holding up a sign, right for doing things like that. So what do you make of this kind of this radicalization that I think is happening with more women seeking to run for public office and more women essentially on the front lines, which they largely have been. But I'm specifically kind of talking about white women here. Black women have always been on the front lines of marches in protests, but you're seeing it happen now with white women who have largely aligned themselves with the Republican Party.
Speaker 2: Well, we'll have to see how it matters electorally. And so I think what we're seeing is an important movement, right And the question is, when you use the term radical is the radicalization that that they are switching parties? Is it that they are rethinking things? I mean, I'll tell you that from the it seems pretty obvious just take five minutes on social media. The Republican strategy is to make Dobbs old news, to say, oh, yeah, that's the latest. Thank people are tired of that. We're seeing in some elections, some of the elections that were yesterday as we record this, that some people who were totally totally pro choice didn't win just based on that issue in places like Oregon and other places and so. But the other thing is what's coming next. So the question is we'll be able to mobilize people on November or will there be many other issues which are you know, look over here, look over here, look over here, or will we be united? Now I can say that I've interviewed Republicans for a long time and they were unbelievably united about pro life. Like I mean, I would interview people on the ground in the middle of nowhere who like that was their voting issue. And Democrats need their voters to just vote on this issue and not based on divisions about about Gaza for example, or not divisions thinks. So the question is the question here is will the Democrats will be able to mobilize a coalition that will vote on this as a wedge issue?
Speaker 3: In light of all the other issues.
Speaker 2: About Gaza, about policing, about capitalism, about all these kind of things. If that's the case, Democrats win. And I think the stakes are pretty darn high for a lot of reasons. I mean, Trump, you know, the guy who had the first Reichick advertisement the other day, has said in an interview kind of hinted that that regulations are coming for contraception for IVF obviously, and all these things. So Dobbs is just the beginning of what could happen under Alito and Thomas and and in the Supreme Court. And so the question really that I have for you is will the Democrats be able to unify and mobilize Because polls like Tennessee show a possible way forward. They actually don't show it for guns, right, if you dig down into that data. For guns, it's really divided about stuff, except for as always, should mentally ill people be full taxes? Guy, That's always the thing that people always agree on. But they're divided about guns. For teachers, they're divided about I think.
Speaker 1: They're also divided on what constitutes of mental illness.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, for sure. But I'm saying, like, for me, the gun, the gun the gun. Honestly, looking at the date of the gun the gun answer was not super surprising, except that I know that they're different. There are different political agendas right now, and I think if depending on how the election turns out and who shows up, that issue.
Speaker 3: Could potentially shift.
Speaker 2: You'd never know if if the minute Republicans start losing on an issue in a gerimander area, that's when all of a sudden you'll see the change. But I think, really, I think that the Democrats and best bad is mobilizing around the really justifiable real fear. I mean, Trump is looking at the birth control pill and looking at obviously IVF for that was not a mistake, and things like that.
Speaker 3: And so.
Speaker 2: I guess the question I have for you is knowing everything you know and thinking about this tennessee pull as one example of why that might be this strategy, But there are many other strategies, some of which are exactly against unifying Democrats across ideology, and I think a lot of people that I know can't decide whether they want to support the Democrats or quote unquote burn the Democrats down. Under the fantasy that a more leftist, radical Democratic party would emerge in its stead and so I guess the question is do you see this as an issue that Democrats could mobilize around in a coherent way that would sway the election.
Speaker 1: I think that Democrats need to get over the idea that they need to one hundred percent love or support all of the things that a candidate supports. I think that we need to move away from this idea that if I am aligned with Biden on democracy, on abortion, that like, because I am not aligned with him as it pertains to Gaza, and you know, and let's say the economy, then that means I'm not going to vote for him. But I think that folks need to start to understand that where we are is do we want the opportunity to continue to protest and fight for a better country or do we want that to be one of the less rights that are taken away? Right? Because I can continue, I would be happy, right if folks are like, well, you know, I swallow the pill and I vote for Biden, but we're getting out and protesting, you know, the inauguration, go with God. I'll be on the front lines with you to protest at inauguration. If in fact, the inauguration is for Joe Biden. But what folks need to I think that they need to wrap their minds around is that we're never going to align one hundred percent of the time on all of the issues. But are we willing to give up our democracy? Right? And in with this with the fantasy that not voting for Joe Biden is going to be the thumb in the face to the Democratic Party as opposed to the end of our democracy. So I think that, like, these are real things that that are happening. I think that with this poll, the Biden administration does have the opportunity to kind of rally around this idea, which I think that they're doing. The place that I do believe that they're doing a good job is around abortion, Like is keeping that in the news. But we also have to understand Republicans are keeping it in the news. You have Florida that just put in place their six week abortion ban, right. You have states like Alabama and your state of Tennessee and all of these places that are tinkering with IVF. You have Virginia where Governor Younkin just vetoed the right to access to contraception right. So they're the ones that are keeping this in the news. So it's up to Democrats to pound the pavement and say, in this election, you may need to be a single issue voter because they're not done with reproductive freedom, with just abortion. They're coming for every single thing. So what happens to women and people with uteruses in this country if they no longer or have access to contraception? I mean, honestly, like what happens?
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, we become I mean, if you want to play it out, you know, the agenda is, it's very transparent and it's very terrifying. I mean, just look at you. You read that Project twenty twenty five thing and deporting a ton of people and creating basically of labor underclass of Americans who then will do that labor. It's not going to work out really well for people who you know. I think we need to get there. I think the threat is very serious and very real, and the question is how do you message that given I mean, there are just so many, so many potential scary areas to drive around right now. I mean I've been following really closely the elections yesterday, Progressives across the board relatively lost to Centrists in a lot of places even like Portland. So there was a risk thing in those elections of going too far left for an election. Not that people shouldn't go too far left, but in a place even like Portland, which is a lefty paradise that you know, things like safety and drugs and immigration and things like that were centric centrist one and so and so I think that's that's part of the thing, is how do you bring centrists and progressives back together if that's the goal, when the fantasy is like, you know, yeah, it's not just own the Libs. It's like I'm going to own the Centrists now, or I'm going to own the expre mess or something like that. Like the idea of like me against you is it's not just about two parties and you've got to think like one party. And so I think that's that's part of it, is like healing these democratic rifts. But then the other part is, I can't remember what state did you see this? There were it was like a massive portion of undecided. They didn't vote for Biden, they voted for undecided. But it wasn't people voting protesting Gaza. It was people protesting something else. That was a a much more far right position in the Democratic Party. So now a bunch of other candidates electors are going to the Democratic Party not being committed to Biden also, but they're not doing it because of gods that they're doing it because of I can't remember some other.
Speaker 3: I can't remember what the issue is.
Speaker 2: I mean, no disrespect anybody, but and so the the Democratic Convention is going to have protests, yeah, it's going to, but all these different undecided voters and all these kind of things. So I don't know, I mean, I just feel like we should, like with respect everybody. I love, just frigging roofing myself and everybody else and like get us all on the same page and then, you know, or something like. It's just the amount of like not just real discord. I'm not trying to take away from it. But also this kind of chaos just serves the Republicans. And so yeah, sorry.
Speaker 3: That was that was that was a rant. But I'm just feeling frustrated.
Speaker 1: No, as we close out, Like, I believe in everybody's right to protest, I believe in everybody's right to you know, utilize uh these you know, primaries, local elections to have their voices heard. But I need people that as we get to November, they get their shit together and recognize that like, we're not going to have that right to continue to protest, We're not going to have workers' rights and protections. We're going to have an underclass, We're going to have a subjugated female population. And if you think that things are bad now, I assure you they can get worse under the United Reich, which is what the MAGA Republicans want. We'll leave it there today. My friend Jonathan Safe travels to Hawaii and we'll talk to you when you're on the ground there.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: I will next next week, I'll if anybody wants to be there not I'll hold up a pineapple next week when we're talking.
Speaker 1: That is it for me today, Dear friends on willk F as always Power to the people and to all the people. Power, get woke and stay work is spot