Speaker 1: H word with me here?
Speaker 2: You know BT, no how it goes, shout out O C T, no real color, what we see? Whole game? Ready about the boot something you can't stand on their own?
Speaker 3: Sushi.
Speaker 2: I already know you can't with me because up with the squad of me they get into They called me love love he love, he reported live from Atlanta, Georgia. Welcome to the ball Luk Show. I go by the name of Ferrice Simons.
Speaker 4: I go by the name you know BT with that sweetie.
Speaker 5: Too.
Speaker 2: I loving the hat match even though they can't see the boots.
Speaker 6: You smell is amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, How you doing? Welcome? I'm good Atlanta.
Speaker 6: I like your introduction?
Speaker 2: How sweety doing right now?
Speaker 3: Do you know when you work so much you just go on like autopilot? I think we like that's what we've been working for like three months straight.
Speaker 2: New single out is fire. Thank you for that nice, nice little routine. Did you choreograph that?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I did really?
Speaker 6: Yeah, getting getting it.
Speaker 2: In the video, getting it on the mountains.
Speaker 6: I didn't shout out to Cot like.
Speaker 2: She was about to be watching this and be like, are you I'm loving the nails? You always the nails has always been on point. Can you keep showing for the camera? Quick?
Speaker 6: A nail girl? Thank you?
Speaker 5: Do you have like a nail person that comes that you fly out?
Speaker 3: Or I've been using the same person for five six years? Her names Tamika.
Speaker 2: Okay, everybody getting shout outs on the show. Now do they come to you? I'm okay, boss, Can we take it? Can we take it back? Let's do it now? Originally, where is Sweety from the Bay? The Bay? One time for the Bay? And how was it for Sweety growing up? Like? Who were you as a kid?
Speaker 6: Oh, that's a good question.
Speaker 3: I feel like my whole life, I've always like a common theme is like duality. I grew up biracial, I went to two different colleges, I grew up in two different households, So.
Speaker 6: I've always just had to find like a balance.
Speaker 3: But growing up in the Bay Area, like being like black and Asian or just mixed it it's really common.
Speaker 6: But I think that.
Speaker 3: I was I was the first grandchild to be mixed, and I was the first on both sides.
Speaker 2: On both sides. Now, who's black dad or my dad? Okay?
Speaker 3: And I think that there needs to be more conversation between like the clash of cultures, because what's always appropriate that this household may not fly in this household.
Speaker 6: So as a child, I struggled with that.
Speaker 3: But then I did learn that you have to respect, you know, both groups based on their morals and their values. However, sometimes you have to kind of like code twitch sometimes.
Speaker 5: When you say it was like a little challenging, was it more so on your mom's side that was challenging or your father.
Speaker 3: I would just say both sides. I feel like both households had different rules. But I'm also talking about like my grandparents' house because my grandparents were always babysitting me, and my parents was like out working a lot. But yeah, like so my Filipino side hardcore traditional. They were immigrants, so it's like that the values are very traditional, really strict. And then my dad's side is really different, so more relax more relaxed. But also my grandparents were pastors, so then so.
Speaker 6: Then they're strict in their own way.
Speaker 3: But then at my dad's house, my dad in the streets, so it's like there's no there's no rules at his household. And then my mom she's just a tiger mom because she's Asian and so I was like trying to balance like four different households and a lot what I could do and what I can't do in these environments.
Speaker 6: What's a tiger mom?
Speaker 3: A tiger mom is often described as a mom who's like who wants the best for their child, so she pushes them, like your pressure to get straight a's or b is not is not acceptable, Just always pushing their child to like do their best, especially like in academics.
Speaker 2: Did you get straight a's.
Speaker 6: I'm my dad. Did you have any siblings?
Speaker 2: So my dad had.
Speaker 6: Three kids eleven years later with another woman. Okay, but just for your parents, you're the only child. I'm the only child. Was on them?
Speaker 2: Oh wow?
Speaker 6: Did you have like cousins to play with? Was it lone? Agog? I had a cousin.
Speaker 3: I love them so Like at my grandma's house, my dad's mom's house, especially in the summertime, it'd be like fifteen of us in there, you know, you know, calling for showers, calling for the couch, trying to like hide the cover so we had a cover at night, you know. Was like growing up in a household full of kids, It's like it's like survival. Little fittest Okay, what's.
Speaker 2: The different sides of town too? Like did you go on one side of town here and then the other side of town?
Speaker 6: You know what's so interesting?
Speaker 3: So both of my grandmothers like lived in Union City, but on different sides of the bridge. Union City is a city in the so they were like about what ten minutes away from each other.
Speaker 6: So it's like a car right around the bed.
Speaker 2: But it wasn't like over here I'm good and over here like I'm not good.
Speaker 3: I just feel like I got my dad's At my dad's mom's house, there was never no food because of all the kids. But they're not my Filipino side. They always they always got food over there. So when I would get hungry, I would go to my grandpa's.
Speaker 6: Did they always have like rice ready?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 6: Because I have a type.
Speaker 5: I had a best friend who was tied in black and her her grandmother always had like a pot of rice at least the rice is always ready to go.
Speaker 2: Now, look, don't get mad at me, friend, but I'm might to ask you a question that whose food was better?
Speaker 6: Oh no, I can't decide to be honest.
Speaker 2: Because both people throwing down on these sides. As you're talking about.
Speaker 3: Both of my grandma's can throw down, like throw down down to choose though, Well, my favorite food is Filipino food, but I can't say that that that's someone's cooking it's better than the others. No, no, no, no, now they both they're both equally good. I'm just clarified.
Speaker 5: With you having so like you said, the two sides you were going from back and forth, is that we're brought in your palate because you have a wide palate.
Speaker 6: Now, so let me call you something.
Speaker 3: Well, she has a white palette, a palette, so I feel like my palate comes from I was like the taste tester. Oh, but when my grandparents were cooking, so you know, Filipino food is it's foreign food. And then my grandma and on the other side, they get down in the kitchen too, and they make their own concoctions.
Speaker 6: Actually, it's it's really funny.
Speaker 3: My pap Paul will like save food from like a couple of months ago, reheat it up. That no, that's crazy, but freeze it, reheat it up, and then throw some extra stuff in it to make it like good. And then he'd be like, oh, baby, you want some of this, And my Grandma'll be like, baby, don't you eat that's like from six months ago. That's how that's how he would He still does it, but that's how he would save.
Speaker 2: The left's perfectly fine, isn't he Yes.
Speaker 3: He is.
Speaker 6: And then he would reheat it, make a couple of concoctions.
Speaker 2: So like I tasted it, I don't even eat food from two days later.
Speaker 5: When you put it in the freezer for a long time, you put like you make a pop pot of greens. You can freeze those and then reheat them later.
Speaker 2: My mom made me my Mom's from Barbados Thanksgiving. She made some rice and beans and she put it in the in the freezer and it stayed and she heated that ship up.
Speaker 4: My bad, damn Mama, make sure you let me know which one has been in the freezer anyway, it's easy.
Speaker 2: Your name so weedy. It's not sweetie, No, it's so wety or yeah.
Speaker 6: So it was like a family nickname.
Speaker 3: And then it stuck because I have put it on my MySpace, and my MySpace was like really popping, like helipopping, like I had all the cold, all the.
Speaker 6: Layout, my homegirls.
Speaker 3: But it had become so big that like people would like see me walk in from like the bus stop, they see me at like a gas station, they see me like walking to school, and they'd be they pull over and be.
Speaker 6: Like, are you Sweety?
Speaker 3: So it's just like my page was so big that people thought that that was my name.
Speaker 2: So why why that though not sweety?
Speaker 3: Because when I was typing it in on MySpace, I was like, sweety, look too sweet. You gotta put a little flavor in it, Okay, So I put the A between the W, the S and the W period.
Speaker 6: And then to solidify.
Speaker 3: It, my my other mom, the woman that my dad is currently with, she got me my first nameplate that says sweety for my first day of my sophomore year in school. So it just like solidified everything. Yes, you know, like it just really like.
Speaker 6: Just made everything permanent after that.
Speaker 5: So you were in college, she was about to get that.
Speaker 2: Good shit.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so you were in college. What were you studying?
Speaker 6: So I went in to do psychology?
Speaker 2: Okay, that goes with me, why no?
Speaker 6: But listen, on the first day of school we got that.
Speaker 2: Syllabus, was like, you know what I've got to go.
Speaker 6: Let me tell you.
Speaker 3: I literally got up like ten minutes of class.
Speaker 6: And I said, I'm going to like the administration office. I said, oh, hell no.
Speaker 3: So then I was talking to my administrative counselor and she basically just told me to take a whole bunch of electives. And within those electives, one of the classes that I really enjoyed was my communication course. So that's what made me want to study communication because of the elective that I chose.
Speaker 6: And what college was this?
Speaker 3: So this was at San Diego State and then I transferred to the University of Southern California.
Speaker 5: There's no way that you wasn't going to school with your family. Like you said, your was a Tiger mom and she believes in that schooling, so so you.
Speaker 2: Had to go to college.
Speaker 3: I think it was a combination between her pressuring me and then me just wanted to get out of Sacramento.
Speaker 2: Now, how was your college experience?
Speaker 3: San Diego State was really fun And I didn't really understand the consequence of being a transfer until I was a transfer.
Speaker 2: Could you lose credits or not only that.
Speaker 3: But you just lose like the incoming freshman connection that you created with the peers that you come in with. And at USC it took me like a minute to like create you know, friendships on campus. But at San Diego State, like I was dancing for the school, I was like the face of the students store. So I was really like integrated into the school's culture, and I really missed that when I transferred over to you.
Speaker 2: Why did you transfer?
Speaker 3: Why did you want to to be in an a market city?
Speaker 2: You wanted to be in La.
Speaker 3: I wanted to be in La. I thought that you and I was going to get discovered right away, you.
Speaker 2: Know, because you're doing music also, correct.
Speaker 6: Well, I'm posting my wraps on my Instagram.
Speaker 2: How many followers did you have at the time.
Speaker 6: I've always had a lot of followers.
Speaker 3: I've always been heavy into like social media and the aesthetics, so I've always just had like a before the music, it was like a brand following, like girls just fucked with like the vibe.
Speaker 5: But then you know, when you drop can't style, won't stide?
Speaker 2: Yeah go?
Speaker 5: You know that's that famous. That's a classic freestyle. You know instantly, did your world change?
Speaker 3: No, it did, but it changed after the music video. I was so taken aback with how much coverage I got because I dropped this without a publicist, without backing, without a label, without management.
Speaker 6: It was just fresh out the gate.
Speaker 3: So I think that at the beginning of my career I was kind of just thrown into the industry quickly.
Speaker 5: I'm very pressed, you know, with what you've done and what you were able to do and create yourself. Even today. I know we're going to get to more of your accolades, but I just want to say, I'm very proud of what you are doing. You know what I'm saying, especially as a young black girl out here, You're very intelligent, very smart, and I think that needs to be you know, said and shined on because a lot of people look at you know, certain people nowadays and they don't really are they like you said, they see the aesthetic, but you know, you really are putting in the work mentally to get to where you're going.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I had an argument about you the other day and I was saying, Sweetep really put up some points on the scoreboard, like you had some number ones and they were really really big. We're gonna get into that. Yeah, So you put out the song, you put out the video. What happens next?
Speaker 6: I had several meetings at different labels.
Speaker 2: Did they just have they get flew out friends?
Speaker 6: Surprisingly, all my meetings were in La.
Speaker 2: Okay, So yeah, you did make the right decision. I guess moving you had to go far.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but this was like two years after I graduated from college. Yeah, I struggled for like two years in LA.
Speaker 2: But how was the struggle? We talked about the struggle too, because a lot of it was always real. Man.
Speaker 6: I worked like a lot of odd jobs.
Speaker 2: Where does Sweetie work that people would be like what?
Speaker 6: I was a receptionist.
Speaker 3: I was a waitress at a strip club. I was an ambassador for like Craigslist events like hey, come be, come help us with this pop up shop, and you know, like the people who help solicit at public in public areas. But interestingly that helped me with like my people skills, because when you're constantly being thrown into like different environments with new people, you have to like accommodate really fast.
Speaker 6: You have to adapt. So it helped me.
Speaker 3: But I remember like every time I would like pay my rent, my account would go back down to like twenty or like forty dollars, and I was.
Speaker 6: Like, bitch, it's real, it's real.
Speaker 3: Not because like my aesthetic it was always just like I've always wanted to be a rich bitch, Like ever since I was a kid, that's what I aspired to be. I like the diamonds the first I love the boss bitches out there out to them, and I was like, this is not what we planned. Friend, But I looked myself in the mirror. That's why I see girl, I say, look it in the mirror. I think, I feel I'm about to be Like I was broke as fuck when I wrote that, and I was like, we have to give.
Speaker 6: Yourself a deadline.
Speaker 3: And I always tell people who I give advice to give yourself a deadline because if you do that, you're able to keep track of like what you're doing. So I gave myself a year to make it in LA and if I didn't make it, I was going to go home and at least be comfortable and stack my money up and move back to LA.
Speaker 6: All my ninth month, I got discovered.
Speaker 5: That that does work, though, when you give yourself a deadline, I know, I know you.
Speaker 2: Know that personally, and I'm glad you're sharing these things with people because I feel like how it looked on the outside, it looked like it just happened really fast. But the things that you're saying would make someone say, wow, I didn't know she had to do that. I didn't know she had to work these jobs. I didn't know how to do. That kind of makes it a little bit more human.
Speaker 5: So when did you have to get When did the check come? Where you can say, well, you can tike tail a little bit, When did that big check come?
Speaker 6: Is that when you signed? Did you get in advance or you.
Speaker 2: Always was on Warner correct, you decided to.
Speaker 6: Go, it was on Warner.
Speaker 3: But before that I was doing I was an influencer for like weave companies and clothing companies. So because Icy Girl was like new and hot, it had put the attention like that helped me get my first like low key, low hanging fruit like Brandill's. Like that was the first time I had a couple thousand in my bank account. I just had to like post my picture they would and they would pay me.
Speaker 4: Okay, So that twenty dollars turned into a couple of thousand dollars getting some shows or anything like that.
Speaker 2: Because the song was doing.
Speaker 6: Really the show was an Istanbul Turkey.
Speaker 2: Wow, how how they pay you? You?
Speaker 6: Turkey?
Speaker 3: Stanbul, yurkey, Yes, all the way over there, all the way over.
Speaker 6: There, and yes, and I sat in the middle seat.
Speaker 2: The whole thought is like, I'm not doing this. Listen, I gotta know how much they paid you. Okay, I would have said.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I said how much are we going?
Speaker 5: One thing about now, listen, One thing about a cancer is we get real uncomfortable when we ain't got no money. Right, So it's like when it's time to get but when it's time to get that check, we finna get it.
Speaker 6: It's just like I was in the middle seat.
Speaker 2: On the side of the plane. I'm gonna be on a plane like this. It was at the time that you maybe got a little bit of an excel. You got that in l As. Did that motivate you to keep going?
Speaker 6: Absolutely?
Speaker 3: But then after that I had got my contract okay, but my contract wasn't like one of those flashy contracts. It was it was enough for me, but it wasn't like you know how some.
Speaker 6: People like break the bank and get me.
Speaker 5: What made you go with Warner out of all the labels, To.
Speaker 3: Be honest, I don't remember why. I can just remember how I felt in those meetings. So I kind of like this followed like my feelings energy. Okay, did you have a manager at the time and an unofficial manager?
Speaker 2: I did you like just sat right here and just act like you know what you're doing? No, it was.
Speaker 3: Somebody who was trying to like help me, like navigate, gotcha.
Speaker 6: Yeah, We're going to navigate to a break real quick.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 5: We got Sweetie right here on the Butler Alert Show, right here on revote.
Speaker 6: We'll be right back.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back with more of the Bawler Alert Show. You're listening to a special edition of the Baller Alert Show.
Speaker 6: Hey, what's up?
Speaker 5: A Sweety with a Baller Alert Show? Right here on re vote beg but more the bro Alert Show. We got Sweety in the building.
Speaker 2: Ye're having a great cab. I love this.
Speaker 5: I love the humble beginnings to now just to know who you are. I want to talk about the mental space, you know, and the mental health of Sweetie back in those times to now, how were you were you calling your mom like you know sometimes like hey, help me get through this day? Like how did you stay mentally sound, you know, through the broke times to on your rich girl journey.
Speaker 6: I would say a prayer like I said.
Speaker 3: My grandparents were pastors, so I was in the church like Sunday through Sunday, so that's always like my first go to I would call my grandmother a lot.
Speaker 2: She should pray on the phone with Yeah, she.
Speaker 6: Would pray for me.
Speaker 3: And then books like one of my favorite favorite books is The Alchemist?
Speaker 6: Really do you read it every year? I read it interestingly.
Speaker 3: I read it in every stage in my life, and every time I read it, I pick up something different me too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was gonna say, so, now, your personal life, I know you know, sweetie is never alone? Do you are you? Were you ever in a relationship at these times? And did it go away? Because hey man, I got to focus on this right now.
Speaker 6: And no, I was so disgusted with myself. I didn't want to date.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you weren't dating anything.
Speaker 6: I was one of those like I'm one of those people.
Speaker 3: If I'm down bad, especially like financially, and I'm not where I'm at where I want to be in my career, I don't want to talk to nobody.
Speaker 2: Where does that come from?
Speaker 5: Did that?
Speaker 2: Did Pops or anybody say, hey man?
Speaker 3: I think that's just how I innately felt at the time, I didn't want to date, like what do I have to offer?
Speaker 6: Like I wanted to get myself together.
Speaker 2: That's interesting and that's big on you saying that, because you know, some people would just date and just be toxic or you a la.
Speaker 4: Some people would just try to find somebody out there that could, you know, help them.
Speaker 5: No, I think that's a cancer trait too, because come on, you just like you know, like I said, when you when you don't have any money, or if you don't feel like you know you who are who you want to be, you just kind of retreat to your shell a little bit and then you like, I'm going to come out when I feel confident.
Speaker 2: So that leads me to my next question. So when do you start feeling comfortable enough within yourself to be open to that, not saying that you're going to do it, but to be open to that. When when did that part happen in your life?
Speaker 6: I felt like I was.
Speaker 3: I was able to become comfortable with myself after after I got my deal and after I was able to like pay off my student loans.
Speaker 6: I was able to.
Speaker 2: So you paid yours off. I just let my slide, so you didn't wait on Biden Man.
Speaker 3: I was honestly, I was scared because I think how my loans were set up, Like after a certain amount of years, I would start to get what do you.
Speaker 2: The money taking your account?
Speaker 6: No interest?
Speaker 3: Yeah, create interest. After a certain amount of years, my loan would have created interest. So I wanted to pay minds off before it before I did that.
Speaker 2: You in the USC, So I'm pretty sure that tuition was so you know, it's.
Speaker 6: Hella crazy and I think that this was so fed up cuss.
Speaker 3: So when I had transferred to USC because of my grades, I was covered fully because I forgot what I had applied for, but my tuition was covered. However, each year after that, tuition would raise, but my like expenses were capped at this amount. So it's just like although my tuition was covered the first year, I spent three more years in college after that.
Speaker 6: Like, yeah, I had to.
Speaker 3: I had to take out more money to cover like the remainder of the balance the loans.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm surprised you never got a scholarship or anything, because then you run track.
Speaker 3: I played volleyball, volleyball, yeah, but I have got a full ride scholarship to like the D two schools in the Midwest. You didn't want to go there, and I wanted to be in the city. But in hindsight, I do wish I would have at least tried it because I missed sports so much. Oh yeah, yeah, sports really like instilled like my like how I work, okay, and how I work with people.
Speaker 5: You ever want to consider doing, you know, starting a league or anything like that, And later on.
Speaker 3: I would consider like sponsoring volleyball girls. Yeah, maybe not creating a league, but just like endorsing them. Because my senior year of college, we couldn't afford the sports package for our senior year. And you know, my coach loved me dearly, but he was like, if you can't pay this, you can't play. So I stood in front of a bank for eight hours and raised the money and then paid off and paid off my my senior year fee.
Speaker 6: Whatever that was.
Speaker 5: How did you what was you doing in front of the bank.
Speaker 6: I had on my volleyball T shirt.
Speaker 3: I was in front the Chase Bank and it was hella hot outside, but I came out there at eight am and I basically just asked for money from quarters to fifty dollars bills.
Speaker 6: Wow, Like people do.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: That's what I don't believe them now.
Speaker 4: I think I think back in the day that worked, But I think now I think they're scamming out.
Speaker 2: Could you do be looking like they about six five and forty years old?
Speaker 6: Don't have on no uniform either.
Speaker 2: Boys, bro.
Speaker 4: I seen somebody come up to me the other day talking about, Yeah, you want to support my football boy?
Speaker 2: You forty two? You was not in you was not doing no football league. No.
Speaker 3: But one thing that I learned that day was I still in front of a bank and then I went over to the grocery store to see if it would like, if it would change people like who are grocery shopping are less likely to donate than people going to the bank, because what are you what are you doing at a bank? You're going to get moneyey, So it was like a quick lesson learned. But I was like, I never doing this again. But if you are out like trying to sell something, I recommend standing in front of a bank than any other like.
Speaker 5: Pay yourself or did you have your parents with you?
Speaker 6: I was by myself. I was like, I'm gonna go get this money.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 6: He was stugging it.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 6: I love it. I respect it.
Speaker 2: I respect your hustle. I'm about to say I respect the hustle too. So graduating college, I know that was a big deal for you. Was it the big deal? Did everybody come down for it? Did you walk across the stage? Okay?
Speaker 5: Did you also feel that pressure to as a kid like I need to do this for my parents to finish?
Speaker 2: Be pressurized to finish?
Speaker 3: I think, not necessarily to finish, but to get good grades, because I'm just like, if I'm.
Speaker 2: Not getting grades in college, what was your GPA?
Speaker 6: Three point six?
Speaker 2: Wow, that's great in college time. She's just like you was taking out.
Speaker 6: Loans and I was taking out loans.
Speaker 2: Come on, man, y'all got to.
Speaker 3: Now, because for me, the scholarships would be like fifteen hundred, fifteen hundred. I don't want to be riding a whole bunch of essays for fifteen hundred dollars.
Speaker 6: There's a lot of essays you got to write.
Speaker 2: I do think to the volleyball lane would be a popping lane for you, because I don't really see any celebrities talking about volleyball bringing it like almost like the w NBA, like everyone's talking about it now. If I see volleyball on TV, I'll stop and watch it because I actually think it's actually very complex sport and it's a very team related sport. You have to need you need each other out there wanting to get that ball over to us. You got to communicate coach the coordination and hitting the ball and making sure you know he talking about it's a setup. You get the person. You got to have someone that's like a set up person. My daughter played Oh okay, But I say I will watch it though, But like watching it on TV, it's the ultimate team sport if you're watching volleyball.
Speaker 5: But speaking about that team sport and that being your background, did you go into to that business wise when you were at Warner and how everybody plays a team in communication with you know, did you have a plan on how you wanted things done and then they backed you or how did that work.
Speaker 3: I'm a very visual person, so when it comes to like presenting, I like to have my mood boards.
Speaker 6: I like to write everything out and then I present it.
Speaker 3: But when it comes to just having a background in sports, I prefer to work with people who played sports because they tend to have a higher like emotional intelligence.
Speaker 4: They have.
Speaker 6: They just have better a better.
Speaker 3: Skill set when it comes to communication, and they're less ego driven. They understand that like word team and we're all working for like the greater good and the bigger picture.
Speaker 5: Did you was anybody on the label from sports or did you pick Hey? I want to work with this, A and R. I want to do X, Y and Z.
Speaker 3: Not necessarily with the label, but with like my internal team, okay, like management or like the creatives that I hire around me.
Speaker 6: I'm always curious to see if you play the.
Speaker 4: Sport hard it is to get the labels behind you, because I seen when you release your new song, you told the label.
Speaker 2: Kicking that butch. I actually even backed that up, and later on in the comments I said they should definitely open the butt. Roary was definitely talking about I don't notice, but I worked at Warner for eight months last year. Wait did that meet you one time? Yeah? Okay, so eight months I was there last year, and of course you were one of the main party, the priority so birthday, all those records, like, yeah, so I had a dope moment just seeing your music and hearing your music and stuff like that. So I just say that to say this ninety record, and I know we will probably take a break and come back with it. This is a very good record for you. Thank you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, let's do that right now. Take a break. We'll be right back with more sweety on the Butler Alert Show.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back, Stay tuned with more of the Baller Alert Show. You're listening to a special edition of the Baller Alert Show.
Speaker 6: Hey, what's up a sweety with a Baller Alert Show right here?
Speaker 5: I'm a vote back with more of the Brother Law Show. We got so weedy.
Speaker 4: You're talking about that new record and a label, you know, opening up that budget. So when you put the record out right, is the record?
Speaker 2: Who is nanny? What is nanny?
Speaker 6: Is a feeling?
Speaker 2: Okay? Someone makes you feel like.
Speaker 3: Nanny is just like a it's like a main character energy.
Speaker 2: Like oh oh but look y'all to sidetracked me.
Speaker 4: So when you at least the record with you know what, you're expecting this positive response like no, hmmm.
Speaker 3: I feel like every time I've released a record, like even with like my big records, like tapping my type best Friend, I've always just had such a it's like almost how do I say this? It's like cool, to like true me. So for every release date, like someone will come up with with like a false narrative or a way to like troll me on my release date. So I used to like get really nervous for like my release dates, but eventually, like you become like desensitized to internet culture. However, for this release, I was really shocked by all the positivity and I was really grateful for it because I've never experienced that much love on like a release date.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everybody was like this is the one I do. Want to rewind just quickly and to stay on topic because My Type was a very big record for you, best friend. I you actually used that instrument on my radio.
Speaker 5: Showmmy nominated thank you and when both.
Speaker 2: Of those went number one, correct me if I'm wrong. My type is like you're really aggressive in there, like you like, what was the motivation for my type? Cuts to somebody out like you want to know?
Speaker 6: Yeah, guy, my type was it this record?
Speaker 2: Yes, I felt that who I'm not going to.
Speaker 5: It was a dis record to a guy like I had to.
Speaker 3: I had to change the chorus because I had said it was. It was arranged a different way. But I remember I felt like somebody had played me. So I was like, like I was saying what my type was because I was like my my energy was like, oh I'm going to be back on the market, like I'm looking for my type.
Speaker 6: So, yes, you're right.
Speaker 2: I said, no, she cuts to somebody out of this.
Speaker 6: It originally was I got new new new wrist.
Speaker 2: You're mad. You're mad when you say that?
Speaker 6: Initially said new whip snoop. But around.
Speaker 2: This was this person that you're talking. Okay, well the motivation for the song are they like, were they popular or were they not popular? It was something that they tried you or.
Speaker 6: It was such a long time.
Speaker 2: Because this was the next that was that was after my type came after so Icy? Correct, Yeah, best friend came the best friend? Is you put me on the Doja Cat? I knew nothing about Doja Cat until best Friends? Really, Wow, I'm just saying fans now, I'm just saying she put me onto doj I'm just guys.
Speaker 6: I feel you.
Speaker 5: But let's get back to sweetie. How did you feel to be nominated for a Grammy though? Facts, because now you on another level.
Speaker 6: It was surreal. Yeah, it was surreal.
Speaker 5: When you first got the dudes or was it feeling.
Speaker 3: Like what, I don't know, you don't want to know. What's interesting. No one celebrated it. Nobody said what you mean by la you mean, I just no one celebrated it. I didn't celebrate it. I was working a lot, so I never really liked tooking that moment. Oh yeah, so it's like I was celebrating it now, thank you. I was grateful for it, but I was working so much and I don't know, like, no one really made it a big deal.
Speaker 6: So I didn't make it a big deal. That's unfortunate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you see an accomplishment.
Speaker 6: Thank you?
Speaker 5: And do you take time sometimes when you make these these big strides in your career, do you take time to celebrate or do you just keep going?
Speaker 6: Now I'm extra as fuck.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: I really try to practice gratitude. That's one of the first things I practiced in the morning, because it's just like I don't want to go by life so much to where everything becomes blurred and I don't appreciate the little things, the medium things, the big things, or just anything. So I try to like show my gratitude as much.
Speaker 6: As I can.
Speaker 4: No, I like the fact that that you take time out to appreciate the hard work, because I do feel like a lot of times, just us as people in general, like you know, everybody's working so much, and a lot of times you don't get the chance to, you know, celebrate the winds. And because a lot of people, you know, they cry about the losses, but we don't celebrate.
Speaker 3: The winds right right, And even going to that, like I try to remember the girl who was running rooms off of Craigslist, like writing down my goals, manifesting, praying, and I'm just like.
Speaker 6: She would be so happy right now. So you need to celebrate, do you.
Speaker 5: I was gonna say, do you go back to church any and you know, right now in your adult life?
Speaker 3: And when I go see my grandparents, yes, And then for the holidays, when I'm in La, I'll go with like my cousins and my uncle to like a local church.
Speaker 5: You know, when you get into the spirit, do you have those reflections of I came a long way.
Speaker 6: Robbie shouting, I'll be speaking at times?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, what should be putting the offering table a lot?
Speaker 4: Tie?
Speaker 6: Do you tie? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, that's good. Yeah, that's why you're so blessed now? What is co sign from like a big female rapper? Happened that you was like, oh snap.
Speaker 6: My favorite co sign I've ever gotten with some share.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 5: We made it the Calvin client campaign, right, the mac cambinack campaign.
Speaker 3: I like shared. When you meet her, you can tell she has a lot of discernment, Like she's really like she she a young, She a young girl. She she ain't aged one bit when we see now that she's one day. Right, yes, this isn't so Share gave you a big co sign that was dope. Yeah, And she's always just every time I hit her, she hits me back.
Speaker 6: Wow, she's hella cool.
Speaker 3: I had dinner at her house after we had did that campaign, and she's just like full of stories, full of love, full of confidence, full of life.
Speaker 5: How do you handle like, like you said, it's easy to troll, sweetie, how do you handle criticism?
Speaker 2: Girl so highly criticized?
Speaker 3: So literally when I was going through like my spiritual awakening, when like I had shaved all my hair off, I was just just reading a lot, and I remember there was a there was a philosophy in this in this think piece about the matrix that we're in, and basically like everybody plays a role. So if you look at like a hater or a criticizer as just like the bad player and you're the protagonist, it helps you like view your life a lot differently, because in every movie there's a bad guy, like we're not.
Speaker 6: None of us is excluded from that.
Speaker 3: So every time somebody comes at me, I'm just like, Okay, you the You're like the opposition in my story. You're the NPC, maybe like Trinity. Okay, but I feel like we're all neo in our own stories. And I feel like that movie is is just so symbolic for just us awakening in the world.
Speaker 6: That we're in the Matrix movie.
Speaker 3: And when you're able to like distinguish the haters as like the men in black with the glasses on, it just helps you.
Speaker 6: It's like a relief, like that's your job to do that. I understand. I'm gonna let you do your job while I do mine.
Speaker 4: I feel like celebrities, why do y'all let the comments and the people on the internet make y'all so mad?
Speaker 6: Do you read the comments? You can't make me, man, I'm gonna try you right back.
Speaker 2: Okay, you read them?
Speaker 6: Do you read the comments?
Speaker 3: So you know I do read them because I also respond to positivity. I can't help that there might be like some hate in between the positivity, but I'm so desensitized because of the amount of hate I receive. So I mean, it's just one of those moments where your trauma makes you stronger.
Speaker 2: But you do know that fans are doing that to get a response.
Speaker 3: Because absolutely, because when I'm mentally sparring with them, when they tooche and they be like okay, bitch, like you're funny, or like we get it, they become a fan.
Speaker 4: Or they've been looking to get a rid, or they may have been a fan that's been trying to get your attention. So I love you, I love your music, I love what you're doing. And you might never see that. But as soon as they say, oh I don't like you no more, you am like, well, I don't like you neither.
Speaker 3: They're like, yes you responded, no, no, no, it's a it's a I don't respond to audi hate. It's like it's really like it's it has to have a little humor to it. If you just outrightly just disrespectful, I'm just gonna ignore you.
Speaker 6: And do you block them? Or I don't know, you just let move. You get a mute, You get a mute everybody.
Speaker 5: You got way too many followers to even the same thing, not as muting, because even a block is a response, and I do want something.
Speaker 3: I don't like when the haters be like, oh, someone's so blocked me. Now you ain't gonna get that for me.
Speaker 4: So when you making music, dude, I know you said you always every release, you always get a bunch of hate. Does that kind of mess up like the creativity of doing the music, because you like, I gotta put some music that's gonna make these people in the comments or the internet, you know, actually like it.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm really I'm really a big fan of alchemy, and I feel like when you're able to like transmute negativity as a positivity, it could work. Because I remember I got dragged for taping and they was like, oh, Sweetie, can't wrap. She sounds like a kindergartener. I went back and I wrote pretty VIIs freestyle. So I took that hate and I transmuted it into creativity. And then two weeks later I dropped this amazing freestyle on my birthday that's still one of my fan favorites. I think that as long as we like use the hate for a better good, we'll be all right.
Speaker 2: You also have people that are fans of you with your style, your looks.
Speaker 6: I love it.
Speaker 2: I think that's a great thing for artists who has two sets of fans. Are we gonna see like a career in that field because I kind of see that you kind of, to me, looks like you're solely music first and only.
Speaker 3: I think that once I solidified, like my music, released my first album, then I'll go into my other outlets of creativity.
Speaker 6: But right now, it's just this album.
Speaker 2: Okay, what's the title of the album?
Speaker 3: You know, my movement was pretty much music, and that's what I was calling it, But I don't After the body of work is done, I'm gonna release it with it and see if that's what I'm still gonna call.
Speaker 2: It this year. M You know, so you're gonna change the name possibly? What's some other names you got?
Speaker 6: I don't know. I don't have the names yet.
Speaker 2: I like this. I like this hat. What is this called? Actually?
Speaker 6: Shout out to one of my fans.
Speaker 3: I did an activation hike at Runyon Canyon and they some of them brought me presents and this was one of them.
Speaker 6: I already had the boots.
Speaker 2: Oh so it goes with the boots.
Speaker 6: Let match the boat.
Speaker 4: I was really impressed by when I saw you had the deal with McDonald's and I remember I was telling somebody.
Speaker 2: I was like, man, y'all know sway they gotta deal with McDonald's. Like that's a big deal. How did you get that?
Speaker 6: From going live and being authentically me and eating crazy? It was crazy. People was like dragged me for how I ate, but then how.
Speaker 4: I am So McDonald's they just reached out to you and that was like, hey, we want to, you know, do a partnership deal with you or something like that.
Speaker 3: So they were gearing up for a campaign and someone has sent all the live videos of me really enjoying like my McDonald's nails.
Speaker 6: That's why they had one with me.
Speaker 5: But you've you've had a lot of big deals, I mean from McDonald's Hidden Valley Ranch, like Hidden Valley Ranch had crocs that you were a part of. Uh, you had pretty little thing like we said, the Matt campaign, Calvin Clent Champ, Champs Champions. Uh, you know, do they reach out to you through your management or I'm doing my agency. Okay, so you're you're signed with an agency, yes, okay, how did you acquire that?
Speaker 6: Just on the internet or just I'm my manager helped me?
Speaker 5: Is that something that you said to her? Hey, I want to do that too, or.
Speaker 3: With my I've been with my management team for about a year and we were really were going through like every facet of my business, and one of those was the agency. So I had met up with these people and we're about three months in, but we've had we have some exciting things coming up.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 5: Another exciting thing that I was excited to see you a part of was b MTh out the season three and you got to acting bagging that.
Speaker 6: What was that experience?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 6: It was nice.
Speaker 3: I really enjoy being on other creative sets because it's not pressure on me to like run and dictate everything, and I really enjoy seeing someone else's vision come to life.
Speaker 6: Hmmm, you want to do more acting? Absolutely?
Speaker 5: You just you're just gonna keep taking it to the top.
Speaker 2: I love it you're doing.
Speaker 4: You're doing a lot of things, acting, music, video, a little duval activities, activities.
Speaker 3: I love that video. No, that was not me, I thought I wasn't. Okay, we look nice though, period.
Speaker 2: Now you're in your rich activities. It's Sweety single.
Speaker 6: Doesn't everybody want to know that? Yeah, you gotta pay me for that.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, her, she's definitely.
Speaker 6: I'm married for the game.
Speaker 2: But man, I've been saying, I'll be saying you on the blogs. You don't want a single? She buried to the game?
Speaker 5: Bro?
Speaker 2: Sweet? What what?
Speaker 4: What is?
Speaker 2: What does a guy have to do to get Sweety's attention?
Speaker 6: Mm hmmm. Humor make me laugh, make you laugh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and take you all your foody like I'm assuming big foody.
Speaker 5: I'm not the perhaps a salad, perhaps not.
Speaker 2: Perhaps. I'm just saying so, do you think so? I'm just saying this. Do you think you have a future of media? You actually be really good? Yeah, definitely because you're funny. Okay. Last question? Is in and out Burger the same thing as McDonald's. Hell no, okay, you said in and out better than McDonald's. Is it the same thing as McDonald's. I'm not saying, I'm just asking, Man, look like California.
Speaker 6: Man, now you're going to the this year? I might Okay.
Speaker 5: Now they're celebrating usher, they're giving him the Lifetime Achievement. I stop, Who do you think should do his tribute?
Speaker 3: You know, that's a really good question. When they were listening out, like the women who should do it? I thought that Tianna Taylor would be good because you know she has her ass off. Yeah, they mentioned I'm Victoria Monnet.
Speaker 6: I think Coco Jones.
Speaker 3: Took and I just really loved how they were able to incorporate women into that. So I'm excited to see the man and the woman that they pick because he has a.
Speaker 6: Catalog for days. But what's the men that they said? I wasn't really paying attention to that.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't know. I ain't saying no, I don't know.
Speaker 3: What's your what's your favorite user songest?
Speaker 2: Can you have? Mine? Would be their face? Man would be after tonight to play it for real?
Speaker 5: Well come coming off the top of my head. I like seduction. I love the beat. They get my attention. His best song is Superstar.
Speaker 2: Okay, so wait, I know we're about to go soon, But does does Sweetie have like stalkers?
Speaker 6: When you break it down, it's coming to all my shows. I don't call them.
Speaker 2: Stock are fans. I'm talking about the one. No, I'm not I got those the scary ones. I'm talking about the ones that are kind of scary, Like, yo.
Speaker 6: I don't really have scary things.
Speaker 4: Okay, cool, So you've never had a crazy fan experience? Mmm?
Speaker 3: I mean the craziest thing I would say is people coming up to me when I'm eating.
Speaker 6: I don't like that. Let me finish my food.
Speaker 2: What do they say when people come up to you when you I.
Speaker 6: Don't mean to interrupt? Can you take this.
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 4: You're ta of people telling you to just model what you what you think about when people tell you that?
Speaker 6: Oh no, I like, why would I leave all this money on the table?
Speaker 2: Hello? Hello?
Speaker 6: So is it is a tour coming soon? Or in the perfect.
Speaker 3: World, I want to open up for someone, and then after that I want to go on my own tour.
Speaker 5: Who would you dream to open up for?
Speaker 6: I'm not sure, but I want to do somebody? Fine, Okay, yeah, it's.
Speaker 5: That in alignment, like in the next couple years year.
Speaker 3: Now, probably at the end of this year beginning of next year, I have a lot of singles lined up like this is I feel like this is the first time in my career where I'm prepped. It's not just oh, put this song out it's hot. Then we have to go back to the studio. Like no, I have a lot of songs that's lined up.
Speaker 5: Okay, man, Well, we so proud of you, Sweety. We thank you for kicking it with us.
Speaker 2: I got one more question, sweetie.
Speaker 4: Is there any female that you haven't worked with yet that you want to work with in hip hop?
Speaker 6: Or just period?
Speaker 2: Just period?
Speaker 6: Carol G.
Speaker 3: She's like my girl crush. She's so beautiful. Yeah, and she's like such a delight in person. I like her vibe, I like her music, I like her style.
Speaker 2: Oh man, whoa, I feel like that's what happened.
Speaker 6: Hey girl, Sorry man, Sweety. Before we get out of here, we do have a pep talk. Hey, what's up?
Speaker 3: It's an ice you go, Sweetie. I'm chilling with my friends at baller Alert. And no matter what people will say, if you're doing with your love, never leave money on the table.
Speaker 6: I know that's right, ball Alert.
Speaker 1: You can't get enough of baller Alert. Follow us on all social media platforms at baller Alert. Log on to baller alert dot com