Speaker 1: Of the law and Order franchises. SVU is considered especially watchable. We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies. These episodes are based on.
Speaker 2: These are our stories.
Speaker 1: Done done, Yay, that's messed up an SCVU podcast. We are out of the time machine and I am Lisa Traeger and I'm Kara Klank.
Speaker 2: We're back. It's our first episode that we're no.
Speaker 3: This is our so this will be the second episode coming out in twenty twenty five, but it's our first time chatting in Fresh five Fresh Your.
Speaker 1: Day after January sixth, which every time I do see a new photo or video, I'm like, wow, it's crazy.
Speaker 2: That wasn't a bigger deal.
Speaker 1: Wow, they really killed some cops, Like they really like went nuts. They really were trying to murder the vice president of the United States, And it is a blip on our radar of life.
Speaker 2: It's wild.
Speaker 1: It's been a very concentrated effort to make us not remember it.
Speaker 2: It's crazy.
Speaker 1: Oppostead of nine to eleven, They're like, never remember, honey.
Speaker 2: I remember. It's great.
Speaker 1: That's not how I wanted to start our first you know, obviously No Five getting you know, we have.
Speaker 3: To have a nine to eleven reference as soon as possible on this podcast.
Speaker 2: That is what we do.
Speaker 1: Everything is our violation in time and space to where nine to eleven is and happened.
Speaker 2: I do need to start up just selfishly.
Speaker 1: I will say my Netflix comedy special Night It comes out.
Speaker 2: January twenty eighth.
Speaker 1: I need you to get on your Netflix now and there's a feature if you look me out you could do remind me. So just you remind me and then it'll pop up and you have to watch. And not to be desperate, but I do want to be in the top ten, and it is all up.
Speaker 3: To you, and I feel like the more of you that you're family and me and then it'll that'll help it get into the top ten. And just do it now, because I never remember the ship that comes out on Netflix until it's like two days later.
Speaker 2: Let's get on at the day of everybody come on.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I'll be out here, I'll be posting, I'll be desperate, and then I hope you like it. But I did want to say that up to I can't wait to see it.
Speaker 2: That little night Owl. You can even you should watch it.
Speaker 1: But honestly, Like even if you put it on and then leave the house, that's.
Speaker 3: Fine too, or watch it and then just let it replay after.
Speaker 2: You're on your mute. Yeah, put it in the background on MU.
Speaker 3: Let's just get some view listens, come views, Yeah, listens. I'm like so in podcasting, Yeah, I mean, we gotta. We need the TMU hive to rise up, guys. We need to get this fucking thing in the top ten. Let's go Hi murder girl. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, god. We have so much. I mean, it's it is, we have so much.
Speaker 1: I think we just have to go back and forth, like a kind of I did on Instagram mute ADHD and autism. I can't, I can't anymore. It cannot it cannot keep I don't want it. I don't want that. Leave me alone so hard.
Speaker 2: I put it on my not interested words.
Speaker 3: Jared's like, does everybody have ADHD?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 2: I'm like, yeah, it does feel like that.
Speaker 1: Like one of the poems said, you don't understand how hard Halloween is for ADHD, and someone wrote, wow, you guys can't do anything. It's like what, Oh, it's so hard to be ADHD and do a forty hour work week. You think people without ADHD love working forty hours a week, Get over yourselves. Get over yourselves. I'm done with your memes and your virtual diagnosing. I don't want it. Let me live my fucking life.
Speaker 2: Nuts. It's nuts, it is nuts.
Speaker 1: Over it's I will say, people definitely struggle with these things, but they social media of it all is insanely. Let me struggle in silence. Get it out of my head. If I have it, I I'd rather not know about it. Leave me alone. I don't need my phone telling me. Do you feel targeted? You feel like it's coming at you?
Speaker 3: I because I see it all the time, like ten signs that you have ADHD or whatever, and I'm like.
Speaker 1: It'll be like this, is it hard to get up in the morning, and it's like, yeah, yeah, that's not ADHD. It's fucking twenty five degrees, it's cold, and we're nearing fascism. Let me rest I don't have a mental disorder because of it.
Speaker 2: Do you have trouble completing boring tasks? Yeah, everybody fucking does. Unless you're a socio. Unless you know, I don't know anyone who are.
Speaker 1: You're a work, You're a work bitch, you're you know, you're a yeah, corporate baddie.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but.
Speaker 3: Listen, and I say this like, I don't want anyone who has ADHD to be like, you guys are being insensitive. I take I'm on ADHD medication, so I but.
Speaker 2: I should be offended too.
Speaker 1: If you have ADHD, you should be hissed at these people well trivializing your life because or.
Speaker 3: Just turning it into like the disorder dajure, Like it just doesn't seem like it's that.
Speaker 2: I don't know, everybody's got a different experience.
Speaker 1: I just can't have it on my Instagram NonStop and I put yeah, it's like they really needed back. Oh my god. So I got the flu over Christmas.
Speaker 3: I had the flu like the fort the four days leading up to Christmas. I took the fucking COVID flu combo test and I had a big positive.
Speaker 2: Line for flu A.
Speaker 3: I don't know the fucking difference, but the sad thing is you can be positive for all flu A, flub and COVID.
Speaker 1: You can get a triple strike on that test. But I had the flu.
Speaker 3: Luckily, my in laws were in town so they could like help Jared with the kids or whatever. But I it was like that kind of thing where I was sick. And so I was watching the final season of Dairy Girls, which is like the best fucking show. I love it so much, but it was like, you can't even focus on TV. You just feel so shitty. So I was in internet whole that I can't even describe. Like I was on Instagram watching videos that were multiple parts where I'm going back into people's accounts and having to go find the second part. Like I was this one girl, I don't even follow these people, and I was just so deep in my free you paid my explore that it was. It was scary. I don't know that I've fully gotten out of it yet either. Now I'm just so used to scrolling the videos of people that I don't watch.
Speaker 2: No, it's sick. The phone is sick.
Speaker 1: Except I mean, obviously, well we can talk about Luigi. Obviously, that's but we have to keep following. We cannot let it be an internet trend. They they can kill him, They've killed Epste, They've killed other people, Like you cannot let this man be charged with terrorism, Like we cannot stop paying attention and watching and showing him that we care because the government is up to no fucking good, especially with what happened on New Year's Day with Vegas and New Orleans and the news and investigations on that seems shade. What they're trying to do to him is not whatever you know, innocent toil, proven guilty. This lawyer, bitch though we're about to watch a master like I'm excited to watch this bitch. She is a former Manhattan District attorney. She is like the Fred Thompson if we're insp you are, yes, in charge of Cabot and Novak, and now she's on the defense. And I'm I'm and I think you know everyone has these cases.
Speaker 2: You know, you've lived in New York. You're always like, oh, I remember that I followed this.
Speaker 1: I followed that I really haven't had something that's like transfixed me in this way.
Speaker 2: And yet if he wasn't hot, would we not care as much? Sure?
Speaker 1: But that we need hot people, Gloria Glorias Seinheim was hot, right, we need hot people, and then we're from sometime to lead us and he had everything to lose, but he is also innocent, and I think they're gonna prove it in court.
Speaker 2: You think he didn't do it.
Speaker 1: I think the evidence is fucked. I think the cops are lying. But also like I do have the FBI report open and I'm gonna read it. I just watched someone talk about but you don't know what's real or not, you know, Yeah, but it's like the timing from like the hostel to when you show up. Also like the inconsistencies of like what was left in the park, what wasn't I think there's I think they also fucked with like the ability for a fair trial with the mayor and the purple and the purple like yeah, but like so hot, like can you even imagine, Like I am just and still I don't think looks like the guy from the original photos exactly. That's what I mean, Kara, Like I I think there's more to this, And I think if Casey Anthony gets to kill her baby, we can really see what happens at this trial because it's up to the prosecution and like, I just don't know.
Speaker 2: We'll see what the evidence is and we'll see what I'm folds.
Speaker 3: Have you seen the memes that are saying that his lawyer looks like Heather Thompson from Real Housewives of New York.
Speaker 2: They're like, you're on her Halla. We need to stop and give my.
Speaker 1: Client a fair Actually I gave it a few friends this year Happy Halla Days cards with Heather Thompson. So she's been I mean, the bitch needs to talk about p Diddy. All she did was brag about working for Popcast and the fact that she is this fucking silent makes me think not good things, Like, honestly, bitch say something, but whatever, shady I don't know, but she went on folds.
Speaker 2: I'm excited.
Speaker 1: I mean, the fact that they were matching in court, like, there's just like a lot to it. He's I'm interested. I'm interested. But we have court dates. There's like Federal Pennsylvania back in New York, so it's like January eighteenth, I think is a date February twenty something.
Speaker 2: There's a couple of dates, so we'll follow along. You're you're for like fervor for this?
Speaker 1: Uh court case is reminding me of this movie I watched over the break casey.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you've seen it. It's called Red Rooms.
Speaker 3: It's a French it's a French Canadian so it's in Montreal. All okay, but it's like the reason I heard about it was Katya was talking about it on her podcast, and it's like it's a horror movie that is not bloody at all, like there is like no, it's my exact kind of horror movie, not gory, but like terrifying. And it's about this like girl who's like a model and a poker shark and she's obsessed with this serial killer and she goes to his trial every day. And I won't say anything else about what happens in the movie, but it's like the movie's about like like people's obsession with true crime and like you know, all this stuff, and I just thought it was like relevant to our listeners. We rented it on Amazon. I think I don't think it's available for streaming anywhere. And it is subtitles. It's mostly in French, but modern like it came out in like twenty twenty two.
Speaker 1: I think I'm looking at it. I'm excited. I'm excited. This looks fucking good. And that's the thing. I do want to go to the trial. I'm not in town for a lot of them, but I'm gonna end up going.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's gonna be a whole thing. I mean, it was also weird in this movie. It's also crazy in this movie to see how their trials work. Like the courtroom, it could not be more opposite than like an SVU courtroom. It's like bright white, modern fluorescent lights, and people come and like sleep on the street at five am to be able to be.
Speaker 2: The people sitting in the courtroom.
Speaker 1: So that's because they I don't want to sleep on the street and I need someone to come with me. We'll see what happens. But I bet you there'll be people that want to go with you. For sure, we'll see what happens. But well, on a more positive note, yeah, get positive. I did take my children. I did force my children to go see Wicked.
Speaker 3: The break got really long, and I was like, we got to go do something that kills three hours?
Speaker 1: Do you guys want to go see Wicked? And they're both like, and I was like, we're going. So I did take that and how to I mean, it's a slow start.
Speaker 3: Rosie liked it, but about I would say, at the hour forty five marks, she was like, can we go? Like it was just long for her and then Oscar was wrapped the whole time loved it. Did fall asleep in my arms for about twenty minutes. But besides the twenty minute nap, he was all in paying attention and like fully watching it, which I was shocked.
Speaker 1: But like Rosie lost interest, but then at the end for defying gravity was she like, yeah, I'm back, I'm back.
Speaker 2: He was back.
Speaker 3: Like every time she was losing interests, I go wait, there's a really good number coming up, and she'd be like, okay, you know, like I think the I'm not that girl. That's not really Rosie's wheelhouse, like about a love triangle and whatever, you know. But but like then I go, hold on, there's about to be a lion cub and she's like, okay, you know, like she was, she was focused in on some of that stuff and she liked it.
Speaker 2: I mean she didn't, but like, I don't.
Speaker 3: Know if I have like a full little like wicked stand on my hands now.
Speaker 2: But they they watched, they watched.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, go ahead, No, No, all I was gonna do is another was more movie reviews, is that my son saw Mufasa with his grandmother, and my and Rosie saw Sonic three, And I've heard from both.
Speaker 3: Nicole Byer and Rosie that Sonic three is awesome, so you guys should go see it. Wait at the end of my movie corner, what were the what were the hit gifts? I guess I would say, like what did the child? Yeah, like what did the children?
Speaker 2: Like? What the gifts?
Speaker 3: Okay, so Rosie, you know they got the Amazon catalog.
Speaker 2: They circled the ten thousand things.
Speaker 3: Jared's mom picked this random thing, which is this fucking bunny that comes in like a magic hat and when you take it out, confetti explodes all over your fucking house, which is annoying. Then it has a magic wand and when you tap it on the nose, it says like abracadabra and like all this like cute magic shit. She's obsessed. They won't stop fighting over it. We have to put it away, like it's crazy. My mom got her a stuffed animal. Fox was the first thing she opened. It's it's tiny, It's like the size of the palm of your hand. She's obsessed. I got them Yodo players. That was the big gift.
Speaker 1: I got them, which are like these players that play cards of stories.
Speaker 2: But you can also listen to podcasts.
Speaker 3: You can also make your own cards, so I'm gonna have Jared like tell them this long story that they've been telling on a card so that they have it. And Rosie just like got in her bed and like listened to podcasts for like an hour by herself. I was like, Oh, this is gonna be a podcast girl. Oscar couldn't care less.
Speaker 1: But.
Speaker 2: I'm glad I got him one because he's gonna want it like later.
Speaker 3: And when we're like on trips and she has hers, Rosie actually stopped and opened shit and played with it. Oscar was like that wild eyed, crack addicted present opening like psychosis that kids get. Like he would just open one thing and go, oh my gosh, wow, and then go is this for me? And then open the next day Like he was so crazy. But my sister got him a bunch of Unicorn Academy stuff, which is the show he likes. I got him a Unicorn T shirt that he loves. He got they got guests who with animals, They got Mario and Luigi Checker set like they got They got so much shit. It was like really crazy, Like we always look at the tree and we're like, this is because I forgot that. Like besides us, his grandparents, their grandparents get them stuff, like my mom sent a box of shit. My sisters sent stuff. It's like they got so much crap. But anyway, they had a good Christmas. They got they got good stuff.
Speaker 2: Did you watch did you guys watch Home Alone? I mean we watched Home Alone so many times.
Speaker 1: Over Break and number two, like we're watching Escape from New York, we saw it a million times.
Speaker 2: They also watched they had.
Speaker 3: My friend Valentina has these two sons that are They lived down the street from us, and they came over. We've been doing movie nights in their bedroom so that she and I can just drink wine in the living room and it's the best. They come out a lot just to ask us questions. We put on the Mask. Jim Carrey's The Mask. Nobody walked out. Nobody came out for the entire time.
Speaker 2: Wow, entire time.
Speaker 3: And that movie has, like I think some scary parts they for like it's PG thirteen but like from ninety two or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Mask, big hit. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I feel like the Mask for Cameron Diaz is like Wolf of Wall Street from Margot Robbie. You know, it's like, oh yeah, let's let's go career.
Speaker 3: Yeah, introducing the hottest woman you've ever seen?
Speaker 1: Well speaking of Okay, So I watched Ready or Not, which is like comedy more fun yea, yeah yeah, and it's the girl that I liked from Nine Perfect Strangers Tomorrow weaving. She looks like Margot Robbie but is like funny and awkward and silly, like no one is doing it like this bitch. I am obsessed with her, and I watched it twice in one week, Like, I like, loved this movie so much.
Speaker 2: Oh she's so pretty, yes, but.
Speaker 1: Her characters like the way she moves her face like no one is doing it like her. Oh oh she's it's special. But the movie was so fun. But listen, so my TV broke, Roku sent another one. I got in the handyman. The handyman came, like you know I had. We had to move the hanging thing. Then we take the TV out of the box, fully cracked, fully punched, cracked down the middle like fully broken again. I'm like, motherfuck. But they sent a third one and it's hanging and it's here. But I've just been so laptop that, like I really did miss the.
Speaker 3: TV, like overbreak when I really could use my TV.
Speaker 1: Yeah for like a cozy little moment. Yeah, but you know, I always love a little drama. And I saw a Nasfaratu. Oh what do you think one of the top ten worst movies I've ever seen in my life?
Speaker 2: I hated it.
Speaker 1: Wait, casey, I haven't.
Speaker 4: I haven't seen it yet. I haven't seen it. I can't chime in. I'm shocked to hear this, though.
Speaker 1: To be fair, I think I just hate Dracula because I love Hotel Transylvania, Like that's what it is. Weird, but like, and I like the idea of vampires, like I do. Think it's hot in some sort of way. But so then I bought Bram Stoker's Dracula at home because I'm like, Okay, I hated that, but I feel like I like Dracula. I hated I hated it this too. I go, why am I I'm like, I think I just hate this. So then I went on Dracula Dead and loving it, which is like a movie I liked as a kid, and I was like, Nope, hate this too. Hate Dracula, like that's what I've learned. Like this was the name of a vampire.
Speaker 2: Interview with a vampire.
Speaker 1: Love that, but that's not the classic story of that Kula story. It's different, it's fun. This story is like a guy needs to make a real estate deal, so he goes to Dracula's house what what and his wife knows and that's the story. So the wife is like, she's she has a weird cosmic relationship with this Dracula. She knows something bad's gonna happen. And he's like, I have to make this real estate deal. This guy is sucking on his like chat like ruining his life. It's vampire stuff. But he's like, I have to sell this property. Like I don't get it. But then once forty five minutes in, I was like, okay, I can, but I was shaking my leg I was like holding my face like I was just like.
Speaker 2: Get me out of here. Oh my gosh. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Jared saw it and he was kind of like it was fine, but he also said it was too long. I like my rats of it all, Like I like the pubonic place, like once he comes to town and there's like some real action, I like, but I just and it's all just moments of drama and mood.
Speaker 2: Without a I don't know. I can't wait for Casey to see it.
Speaker 1: I just was like, okay, I was crawling out of my skin. Yeah, everybody was like fucking talking about it, and I'm like, I'm never gonna see it, but you know, everyone was talking about it, so I was assuming it was like this masterpiece.
Speaker 2: But and the guy is scary.
Speaker 1: He is scary looking, like I think it's a star's guard who's always you know, Oh my god, there's like a new dress, like I cannot I cannot believe any scars. Well, Casey, I hope you know you probably like no Sperratu and bram Stokers, so you're too.
Speaker 4: I have a big I love bram Stoker's Dracula. I love nos Faratu, so I really gonna love it. I'm probably gonna love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I saw there was a sign up on your boulevard in Highland Park for a nose for to look alike contest recently, and I was like, Timothy Shallamy, you've gone too far, Like we've gone too far on the lookalike contests.
Speaker 2: But I don't know, but yeah, yeah, uh oh.
Speaker 1: But they did speak Russian at one point, and so like, oh, I'm really excited. I would like to touch on something. So have you heard of the Sunny Angels? There are those like naked little babies sketch and then you've told me about them a little bit. So I you know, I frequent this toy store and I happened to be there when they had like the Christmas Dinner collection and the whole fun of the game. You know, you don't know which one you're gonna get. There's like eight options. It's like one of those kinds of toys. They're like one of eight and you try to collect them all and they all have different heads and they're all different and I go, oh my god, Christmas with my friends, I'm gonna buy I'm gonna buy four for Christmas, Like this will be perfect.
Speaker 2: Everyone had a different one. They're so cute.
Speaker 1: I didn't realize they have a cock and balls, they have a they have a little dick.
Speaker 2: Hold on, how do I get the dick? Look? Do you see it? Wait? What is happening? Why are they not smoothed down there?
Speaker 1: So no one was that happy, and I go, you guys, Sonny, like, excuse me. These have been sold out for months. I was there the day it came out. I happen to get you these collects, and they go, We're just really uncomfortable that they all have a dick and balls?
Speaker 2: What the fuck?
Speaker 1: And they're pantsless, their pants tand to remove their pants to find the dick and balls and like our butt is fine, like their butt is fine, like whenever a kid butt is fine. But why dick and balls? Are they all? Are they? I think they all have this? So now it's like disgusting. So now I have the like, but look at it. Look at it from the dick up like the dick up, it's adorable. It's dressed like a crocodile with like a party had on fork and super Kid ready to eat dinner for the Christmas dinner collection.
Speaker 3: This is like quite this little boy did not wear pants to the table and his dick is out and we just can't be teaching kids at that.
Speaker 1: But how is that the collector toy? I just don't understand how that's the number. A while and then what's cool now? Or I don't know if it's cool. People that are into it have a tote bag and the tote bag has like a plastic sheath on it with and they're all cut out and you can put them you can display all your sunny Angels, so you can have like twelve of them in this like plastic side thing of this tote bag, and you're just like going around town with a bunch of little baby dick and bolls.
Speaker 2: Like is so fucked up. It's so fucked up.
Speaker 1: So I was really like disappointed, but also like I can't believe I'm that like lack perception like that I didn't notice this was going to be such a problem.
Speaker 2: You know that this was disgusting? Yeah, I mean, did they I'm wondering.
Speaker 3: I'm now trying to think back to that do leap a sketch on SNL, Like did they address it like they had a wall of those sunny angel dolls in the sketch?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I have got to go back. I gotta go back, and look, I do have to talk about a situation. There's more, but you'll know why this is a huge deal. But I for Christmas, my friend got me a Mister Potato Head cookie jar.
Speaker 2: Okay wait, I saw the photo of.
Speaker 1: That and was like, is that the same one that you were telling me to get for the party? Yes, Because I was telling her, I go, oh my god, I'm on this site, there're soke and she goes, oh, I love the Timona and poomba and I go, that's crazy.
Speaker 2: That's what I looked at. But it's too big, blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: But I was like we were because then I got someone in my Christmas group a Pelican cookie jar, and so we just it was a it was a heavy ceramics. I love it because then because then the other our other friend, I got her a vase that was a ceramic like buttoned down collared shirt, and then our other friend got her a ceramic pair of pants with cats coming out of it. So it's like she got a sur I'm full outfit. And then we each got cookie jars. So I was showing someone at the cellar and it was Lenny Marcus and he goes, that's like a crazy friend group. He's like, you all just got each other ceramics, Like what the fuck? But Kara and I just were talking about it about these cookie jars. She was going to this party, but I had just mentioned I'm like, can you believe this potato had cookie jar?
Speaker 2: And then I could.
Speaker 1: Not believe when I opened the box, like I really was surprised, so happy, I had a photo of it on my desktop, Like I was like these photos.
Speaker 2: I could not believe it.
Speaker 1: But the thing is, it's kind of like when you buy your kids stuff and they like the box. I got all these like nice gifts, but my friend and I guess it's like two dollars. But remember when Samantha has a crush on the priest and she brings them cans of peas and she goes.
Speaker 2: Lists sir, they're the best.
Speaker 1: So I got a can of l Surpee and I lost my mind and they were like I truly bought them at the corner Sturf for a dollar ninety eight, and I go, I thought they were ten dollars. Cansas peace, you know. But I got this cannonvala syrpiece with a bow on it, and like, I love it.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 3: That's great. I mean, that's somebody who knows you. Yeah, somebody who knows you. And then we just kept going, they're the best. Oh my god, thirty Casey's had to literally reinvent a new flag that says how long we've been talking.
Speaker 1: Okay, but I have one more fucking story. I'm sorry, I'm sorry. Okay, So I'm killing time. So I had a great Christmas time. New York is like desolate, everyone leaves. It was just like I loved kind of walking the streets, and then I love performing comedy at this time of year here. So I was doing five to eight spots a night. I was like a smike of God, I was sleeping. I was like staying out till three or four doing spots, and then like waking up at one or two. Like it really was kind of a heavenly time with some soul cycles sprinkled in. But I had I had an hour and I had two hours to kill, so I go, I'm going to go to the Chelsea Cafe and the Hotel Chelsea, sit at the bar, kill some time. So then after a while though, I get a text, I get a call from a friend and he's like, I have whatever. Two friends were going to come meet me, so I go great, and then a couple comes and they were going to take the two chairs next to me. Then there's a third chair with a coat and two men, and I already had my eye on them because those two men asked a woman who was sitting at the bar enjoying herself, are you traveling alone?
Speaker 2: And I thought that was creepy.
Speaker 1: So I clocked them and then she checked she she uh paid her bill and left and I bet it's because of them.
Speaker 2: Whatever.
Speaker 1: So this couple wants to take the chair and I go, oh, hey, I actually do have a friend coming. Would you mind seeing if like you can take those two? And I get this one, and so they ask this guy and he goes, no, my jacket's there, and so they go, oh yeah, but like she's just trying to have a friend, like do you mind moving it? And then the guy goes, no, I have a big jacket, and granted there's hooks under the bar. They go there's and then the guy of the couple, realizing, he goes, oh, are you fucking being serious?
Speaker 2: Dude, I thought this was a bit. He gets worked.
Speaker 1: I mean this, they're piss and I'm like, I am so sorry, guys. I didn't mean to like we can stand, We'll get a table, like I am so sorry, and he was like no, this is bullsh Like this couple flips out. They go get a table. I'm trying to buy him a drink and they're like we're taking care of them, like you don't have to worry. So then it happens again where someone is like hey, and he goes, my jacket's on this chair and it is staying here. And then finally a manager came and we're like, we will hang up your coat, sir, and he goes, well, that wasn't an option, and it's like, oh it was. We said, there's hooks underneath. I am a giant park bar. Yeah, these two guys and like would not move his coat. It was crazy, wouldn't put it on the back of his own chair. Well it was a basketball, there's I mean, it's like a nice yeah, Oh my god. People are just And I was I think I know who jacket guy voted for his own saying I think I know. But and the thing is, I was sitting there alone for a really long time, like the fact that a friend friends was coming was last minute, Like I wasn't right. I would have planned it sooner, like I would, you know, but just really crazy, so crazy.
Speaker 3: When I was in college, I used to put my you know, when I was in college, I had a Kate's Bade bag because I worked at a kid's clothing store and I carried a a Kate's Bade diaper bag as my like school bag.
Speaker 2: It was like it was c and like I would put it on the.
Speaker 3: Chair and people would always be like, oh, does Kate need to see and I always be like no, no, no, no, put it on the girl like I would always move it.
Speaker 1: But I guess there's some people that feel that their shit needs its own seat.
Speaker 3: That's so insane. Please don't be that person. In twenty twenty five, everybody, and we're starting.
Speaker 1: But I also want to say, we did take three weeks off of recording, and you know what, I watched the whole new season of SVU. I'm fully caught up. Loved it, and I see amazing, amazing programming. I don't know why I ever did this. I do this every year.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't know. Then I can't get up like I loved it.
Speaker 1: But then I've just been like watching SVU without think, like it was just old times, Like I was just kind of like four times, yeah, before times, just like putting on some heinous crimes.
Speaker 2: Baby.
Speaker 3: I've been liking the new season as well. I got caught up and I'm down.
Speaker 2: I'm in now.
Speaker 3: I gotta I gotta catch up on OC. You know, I'm a season behind on that ship. But yeah, we can start for real.
Speaker 1: And Casey wanted all of you to know he has no updates for you. He doesn't care to update you on his Chris no updates.
Speaker 4: I'm just don't think people want to know what They don't care what's going on in my life.
Speaker 2: How was Patience's first Christmas? Though?
Speaker 4: Oh it was great. She had a wonderful time. You know, all the toys we bought her, she always liked some strange like accessory that came with it, Like right, the wrapping paper are like this little hammer that came with this larger toy. She likes the hammer more so. Yeah, no, but she loves she had. She had a wonderful time.
Speaker 3: My kids when they were your kid's age, their favorite toy was DVD screeners, but and bottle with rocks in it.
Speaker 2: You know, anything that you can.
Speaker 3: Get, anything that's no money, that uh is an accessory of something you paid for. All right, but let's get started with today's episode.
Speaker 2: It's a good one, all right.
Speaker 1: We are doing the episode Lust today, season four, episode four, taking it back to the fall of two thousand and two, Like I forget that it's a thing, Like I had no memory of this episode the moment I saw him and like the thumbnail obviously, but I still there's so much.
Speaker 2: It's just so good.
Speaker 1: I would say it's one of the best episodes that I've forgot exists.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like when I read the synopsis of it, I was like, have I seen this one? And then as soon as you see the main guy and then you when I hear the name Dartan or whatever like the aliases, I'm like, oh, it's this one. It's this one, like that's always like where I remember this.
Speaker 1: They had me going the whole time, like I was at the seat of my pants.
Speaker 3: Well, it opens on, honestly, just a gorgeous morning in Central Park, like it's beautiful. Two guys are arguing about the dog that obedient schools didn't work. I'm not sure what the relationship is. I think they were a couple, but it's like not very obvious. And their dog's name is Radio. And the guy who thinks that the dog sucks is Matt Cervito, who we actually he's been all over the Dick universe and he was just in the episode Parasites that we covered recently, and he was in like Billions and I realized he was also in Your Pretty Faces Going to Hell with Friend of the Pod Henry Zebrowski, and he played Satan, pretty big role. He was in many episodes as Satan, so big, a big get for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah he was. Yeah, apparently he was in a silk top. You know, it's amazing.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So he is Doug and his pal and I gasped.
Speaker 2: When I saw him. I gasped, like that he is a thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he's dug here and here he's just dug and like, we're not gonna see him for very long. And him and his friend's dog, Him and his boyfriend's dog just found something bad in the bushes, as all dogs tend to do on this show. And it's a woman's dead body, and we only see the legs, but they are covered in blood. Like it is gruesome, and now the gang is all there. The two guys who found her mentioned her face being so messed up that they couldn't recognize her, so they don't even know if she was like a park regular because they can't even see her. The vic is in her fifties or sixties, and the only idea is a key on a string. She's been beaten stabbed the whole nine, as Benson says, and her body is still warm. So this just happened in like broad daylight in Central Park. And then Live clocks a small dog's pawprint in the blood, like on the victim, but it's too small to be radios and so this woman carries treats. It must be from her own dog. I guess they found dog treats.
Speaker 2: I don't know. It's confusing.
Speaker 3: Then they find a knife wrapped in plastic so they won't be able to get like any prints off of it. Then they also find a disposable rain ponn show that the pert probably wore. And then they find a dog's leash like tied around a tree, and they figured that the victim's dog wiggled out of his collar, left the pop print and then took off, And Munch goes, maybe Lassie went to get help A good a Lassie reference.
Speaker 2: As always, those.
Speaker 1: Dogs are so cute and I don't see them enough. Yeah, I don't know why they're not more popular. They're like so fucking cute, they're beautiful. Yeah, I don't know why.
Speaker 3: Maybe you do more out in like like Montana or like Western States. Where they have like room to roam and like make cattle do what they're supposed to do.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: But now we're at Melinda's house and she is telling us that there are thirty seven deep puncture onounes to the chest, mostly on the breasts.
Speaker 2: Yikes.
Speaker 1: The cause of death is acute pnumo thorax, which basically means she drowned in her own blood. Oh Happy Tuesday, no fluids. But she was sexually assaulted with a branch they found at the scene. Like it's really fucking brutal.
Speaker 3: Like I'm sorry, I'm trying to describe it, and I don't feel that there's a way to be funny here because it is a super brutal body, you know, autopsy here, no, prince, She's gonna need to do facial reconstruction because the guy completely wrecked her face. She was also wearing a ring, and Benson is impressed by the ring, and you know, Benson knows her shit, Like if it's a nice ring, Benson knows. Benson's like, what is this a Tiffany five carrat? Like, you know, she knows. Melinda gives them something they can use to help the id. This woman is in her sixties and walks with a limp. She probably had childhood polio because the vacs didn't come out until nineteen fifty four. But with any assist from RFK, it's gonna be back soon. I know we'll have folio back in the streets any day now. But yeah, her one leg is an inch shorter than the other one, I guess.
Speaker 2: So she would have walked with the limb.
Speaker 3: So back at the precinct, Finn is stating the obvious, like this guy wanted her to suffer. Stabler Breeze is in late from a parent teacher conference. Okay, uh, Daddy Cragan is in no mood for theories. He's got the press breathing down his neck and he needs something solid. I find out hard to believe that the press is like super breathing down his neck, being like who's the dead lady?
Speaker 2: Like over and over. I mean, there's so much going on in New York.
Speaker 1: But I also find it hard to believe that Stabler was at a parent teacher conference. Yeah exactly, I'm sure he's like, this has to happen, This parent teacher conference has to happen at nine pm or not at all, Like when I get out of work, but it's they're kind of fucked, they've got nothing. They're like, it's really brazen for broad daylight, Like maybe this guy's attacked older women before.
Speaker 3: Let's check that moo. Then they get a call that a j all dog was brought to the vet with bloody pause. Uh oh, so now the vet's filling them in that some joggers found the dog and he's a King Charles Spaniel.
Speaker 1: He looks like Elizabeth Taylor from Sex and the City and super super sweet dog. And he's not tattooed or chipped. I didn't know that dogs were getting tattooed. But that's a good idea, I guess for identification. Shameful, I know, I mean the chip seems better for sure. And then pet like a baby puppy French sheet today.
Speaker 2: Real cute, so cute. I love a little French sheeet.
Speaker 3: But she the vet has to explain chipping to Finn, like they haven't gotten to the Bob Sagged episode yet, Like Finn doesn't know about chipping, so she has to tell him like yeah, basically has the owner's name and number, like and it's sub subdural or subcutaneous or whatever like chip. So they washed away the blood, so the evidence is gone. But the Vet's like, but I did keep this, and it's a full sneaker.
Speaker 2: The dog had a full sneaker.
Speaker 3: In his mouth as he walked across the you know the part found Yeah, a hero dog, a junior detective, Yes, exactly, and McGruff the crime dog if you will. He has the sneaker has an orthotic in it for the shorter leg and this is wild. They're gonna identify this murder victim from her orthotic, Like they're at the company that makes it.
Speaker 2: He checks the serial number.
Speaker 3: He's like, these are all specific to our clients, and it belongs to doctor Esterman, they said, Greta Esterman.
Speaker 2: She works for the Department of Health.
Speaker 3: So now we're at CSU and we're talking to this tech that we've never seen before and.
Speaker 1: I don't think we ever see again. But he's a big part of this episode.
Speaker 3: And he's saying that this is his first time printing a dog and like they're gonna swab the dog's mouth too to see if he, like maybe bit the perp. And Greta Esterman lives on the Upper West Side. Her husband is a society lawyer named Arthur, and then Elliott goes to leave and Munches like, don't forget the dog, and so Elliott, you know, has to walk out this little king Charles.
Speaker 2: Under his will.
Speaker 1: They also at one point call him a pooch and they's Munch and it was really cute. They do say pooch twice at the beginning. It's really cute, like Olivia says it and then Munch says it. So yeah, we're a lot of pooch flying around.
Speaker 3: And then at the Estman residence we meet Arthur, who is played by Michael Gross, who most famously for me is the father from Family Ties, but Casey knows him from Tremors and he was also in the season sixteen episode of SVU Assaulting Reality, where it's like a Bachelor episode and he's one of the producers of the Bachelor show and like an assault happens and he's upset. He's like, I should have never let Greta go out alone, and he tells them he didn't leave the house till nine to go play tennis. Since he's retired, he's taken up a new hobby of sleeping late, so he woke up and just thought Greta had already gone to work and taken buddy with her, which she does sometime to time. And then they're like, well it's ten o'clock now, like, aren't you worried that she's not home? And he's like, she works late sometimes. So he explains she treated people with you guys.
Speaker 1: So I'm on Michael Gross's IMDb, and you know he went to Yale's School of Drama, so you know, I'm loving that. But before that, it says he was involved with a gang for a couple of years during high school before becoming a better student.
Speaker 2: And I think that's a little shocking to you. That's a very shocking.
Speaker 3: That's very shocking that Michael Gross, the father from Growing Pains, was in a gang for any amount of time.
Speaker 2: I'm surprised. Good, good tidbit.
Speaker 3: So doctor Esterman, Greta Esterman, her job was treating people with HIV and she tracked exposure patterns and some people thought it violated their privacy.
Speaker 2: So maybe she had some enemies.
Speaker 3: And the husband's like, well, she got occasional threats and last month a guy called her office and was saying.
Speaker 2: He was going to ruin her life.
Speaker 3: So now we're at the we're at Greta's office and that we're talking to Health Commissioner Chung. And she is played by Christine Toy Johnson, who literally is like rivaling Kevin Kane for most characters. She's been in Countdown as a doctor, she was in Anchor as Kiko Nishimora, she was in Holden's Manifesto granting immunity. I thought you were on my side and constricted as doctor Celia Lee. And here she's Health Commissioner Chung. So she's done a lot on SVE and she's telling Benson and Stabler that yes, Greta got threats, and Benson goes, yeah, contact tracers are about as popular as repo men, and I did. It's funny because I didn't even know the term contact tracing until COVID came around. But I guess obviously it's been used in like epidemiology probably for a long time, or like in tracking diseases, but I think it came into the consciousness with COVID, where you'd get like an alert from like the contract tracing app that someone near you had COVID or whatever. But she said, yes, like they get threats. But nothing deterred Greta. She was so dedicated. And then she hands over all of Greta's personal papers and a phone law and she's like, I just never had any of the threats investigated because Greta said that angers a normal response and that they'd eventually move on to acceptance, and you know, she didn't think anything of it. So at the precinct, Stabler and Menson are looking through all the shit that she gave, all the personal papers, and they're finding out that the Estermans love to party.
Speaker 2: Okay, they love to party for charity.
Speaker 3: They're big donations galas giving blood publicly at blood bank events like they're big, you know, the New York Society people. But last month AIDS activists threw pigs blood on her to protest some of the work she was doing with like pigs blood. So then Stabler reads one out loud so funny. It says, snoopy bitch, doctor you die. And his read is so funny, like if you're not watching this episode, or you're watching it later, please take a moment. And the way snoopy is spelled s n oop i e bitch is spelled b ic h. It's just a wonderful moment of Stabler just cold reading a threatening note.
Speaker 2: I wrote this snoopy fish, doctor you die.
Speaker 3: And then they say the husband's alibi about playing tennis checked out, and Stabler is pointing out that this woman just wanted to save lives and people hate her, and Munch takes this opportunity to obviously hop on his soapbox about the fine line between prevention and privacy, and Benson's like, okay, bro, but like people have the right to know if they've been exposed to hav and Munch is like, yeah, I just don't like it when the government starts making up lists, and Finn's like, don't get him started, please, And then Live finds something in the phone log. Anonymous mail says he'll copulate me to death is something that she wrote down in her phone log. And the idea is from somebody named Roger Pomerantz who did six years for sodomy one and just got out two months ago. Hasn't checked in with his PO in a while, so and I would say, a rare go, you gotta check.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the PO you got it, you got it. That's a big red flag.
Speaker 3: And Benson, Stabler, Finn and Munch all go to visit this guy. Usually they pair off, but good thing all four of them go because they go visit him at this bakery. He immediately runs. He's a big guy. When they id themselves, he runs, Finn cuts him off. The whole gang has to like work together to throw this guy up against a wall. And Munch is like, you know, resisting arrest is a parole violation, and Roger goes bite me, and Finn's like, we're gonna do a lot worse.
Speaker 2: It's like, wow, okay, what are you gonna do?
Speaker 1: So top of that too, you know, whenever I think of Pearol, I think of Miss Congeniality because in the beauty pageant, like the question they ask her like what do you care about? You know? She does, she goes, I would be tougher on parole viol violators. Yeah, And I always have thought like why that was her number one passion?
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, that big of a deal. Well, I don't know because it is like it isn't.
Speaker 1: But it's like, if if I have the audience, I'd be like, I just can't imagine parole.
Speaker 2: Violate being your number one thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I would say, Bay, you know, like the juvenile system like that, she's seen other things. She's probably seen human trafficking. You know, she's in the FBI.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe she's like on the side that we are on.
Speaker 3: Sometimes when people get out of jail so quickly and like immediately reoffend or I don't know, of course that's what she means, but it's usually like not.
Speaker 1: Even show up, you didn't do something. But obviously you know I'm into full castration. So I am with her there, yes, fully of okay.
Speaker 3: So this little parole violator is now in cement room bars and they're talking about his record menacing gun charges, assault, one knife, point stranger, rape, and he's like, let me.
Speaker 2: Clarify that was a quote.
Speaker 1: He goes, hook or I who was pissed I wouldn't pay her for a lousy lay. It's like, that is literally what you have to do with sex workers. You must pay them for the lay. He's like, wait a second.
Speaker 3: In my defense, that one was okay because I just didn't want to pay for it, Like what?
Speaker 2: And then Benson's like, how's.
Speaker 3: Your sex life, rag, which I like that, and she goes, you still have to force women.
Speaker 2: He goes, I just got married. I get it all the time.
Speaker 3: And now he's talking a Stabler about Benson like she could use a good like acting like she could use a good pounding or whatever. And Live does not like that. She's like, you don't like women in authority and he agrees he does not, and then she brings up Greta.
Speaker 2: He goes, she was in my business.
Speaker 3: She was going to call my wife and tell her I had gone a rhea, and Benson's like, so you're dumb enough to get the clap, And then the law says the doctor has to tell her and he's like, I was just exercising my free speech when I left her the threat on the phone. Right, So they bring up her murder and then he goes crazy. He lunges at Benson. He's like murder, and he like the murder, and then he launches at Benson and Stabler has to restrain him and his Stabler goes, where are you going with my table? Like while he hasn't been a headlock, he goes, where are you going with my table? And it's made me laugh, and then Stabler has him in some kind of calming chokehold that he keeps him in long enough for this guy to just completely calm down, and then he's able to keep questioning him. And basically the guy has an alibi, so he's a red herring. At the precinct, Munch and Finn are updating Daddy Craigan. The alibi checks out he was at work by eight am, and then Arthur Estman shows up with two bags of papers just as they're bringing Roger out, and with no warning, Arthur attacks Roger like head butts.
Speaker 2: Him, and then it's like so insane. He goes he's the one and just.
Speaker 1: Goes sazy giant and this man, yes, really funny, and this is like a man in his sixties who is, you know, on the slimmer side slimmer bills going up against this large man. And then so they lock Roger in a cell because I guess they're still going to get him on parole violations, and they're helping Arthur pick up all his papers and he's like, I found something that could help, and then he gives them a case file that Greta was really worried about, and she said she had told him it's a terrible situation that I have to stop, but didn't get into further detail. He can't figure out what any of the stuff means, but they've got an idea of someone who can help them translate. Boom, Melinda, she's there.
Speaker 3: She was up all night decoding the file and she figured out what doctor Esterman was working on. And it's a big contact trace, right. She was trying to track down the common source of infection of all these people who live in Little Italy. Most of them don't know each other, but a lot of them are positive for HIV. And she was looking at an HIV positive guy who had sex with a lot of partners, and he's the nexus. He's like the center of this miniature epidemic.
Speaker 1: If the Nexus, they're they're thinking, Okay, if the Nexus knew Greta was close to iding him, maybe he killed her. She wasn't done with her interviews, so maybe they need to pick it up where she left off, to finish it for her.
Speaker 2: And find the killer.
Speaker 3: Melinda gives them the list that Grata hadn't finished, and it starts with a college student named Mike Andretti.
Speaker 2: Now Benson is table.
Speaker 3: Are talking to Mic about why he didn't wear a condom and Lol, it's because he's Catholic. And if his mom catches him with a condom. He's dead, and then he goes, now I'm dead anyway, and lives like, no, no, there's treatment, and he goes, I don't mean from HIV, I mean from my mom. It's like, get a grip, dude, you're you're a fear of your mom has truly ruined your life. The person who gave it to him was this hot woman in his friend's building. She was all over him and said her husband didn't know what she was, what he was missing, and she was his first. They need her name, and he's like, the whole neighborhood's going to find out. I'm like, I don't really know if that's how New York works. And then he gives her the name and it's Vicenza, a ghosto. So like literally everybody in this little Italy thing is Italian according to this episode, like everyone who lives in little Italy is Italian, and they're all fucking each other. So now they go talk to Vicenza and she's like, it's Joey's fault.
Speaker 1: My husband. Who's my soon to be ex husband. She said, he's probably with a Strippery's banging. He knows she has HIV Joey, but he somehow didn't get it, and she's like, well, a month before the wedding, I cut Joey off from sex for the honeymoon, you know, like to build up sex for the honeymoon or whatever. And he didn't care because he had a slot on the side. Then she comes home the honeymoon with chlamydia.
Speaker 3: So she figures out that Joey's been cheating, decides to get revenge. And she said the only person she slept with was this college kidnamed Mike, and they're like, girl, he says you were his first, and like, we believe him. He looks very virginal, and then she admits it was this guy, Mario, who bartended at a club. So now they're at the club and there's this guy there and at first he's like, nope, no Mario, and then they show him a picture of the doc that tracks HIV and he's like, wait, is this about AIDS And he spills everything and says Mario stopped coming in a couple weeks ago after the dock stop by. He's like, we don't share girls. He's way into other shit that I'm not. That's too hot for me, Like he's into orgy's threesomes, another girl, another guy, anything to get off. And then they're like, well, then why do you look like you're about to throw up? Like why do you look so spooked? And Finn's Finn goes, I got it. You guys share needles and then he goes, not dope, image enhancers steroids, And I'm like, you share needles for steroids, Like I thought needles sharing normally happens because you're like hi, and you're not really thinking straight about like hygiene. You just want to get high for steroids. It's like, go get a clean needle. I'm confused about why you would have to be sharing needles for steroids. But the guys like, I'm really screwed here, and they're like, so are all your partners? We need a list. So back at the precinct, it's science presentation time. Doctor Esterman had id'd forty seven cases in this little Italy neighborhood. They continued her trace and found thirty two more cases. That's seventy five cases in this area. And little Italy is small. Everybody, it is a small area. Like the nexus is one guy and his name is Mario Molinari. And he's directly connected to twelve women and two men, and out of those fourteen cases, the rest branch out from their partners. So everybody in Little Italy is banging okay, and they're like, Gregan goes, all right, let's go find typhoid Mario, which is funny to me. So they go to Little Italy and they talk to a bunch of old guys who know Mario, which is very like Italian I feel for a bunch of old guys just be outside drinking coffee, maybe playing cards, and they're like, oh yeah, girls are always looking for him. He's up at Saint Catherine's Hospital. An ambulance came for him. Probably wore himself out with all that bata bang uh like, So it's hilarious. But Saint Catherine's is where they had next, and they're talking to Mario played by a guy named Chris Tardio who was on four episodes of The Sopranos, still works, and he's like, why is the.
Speaker 2: Sex and the City guy?
Speaker 1: So he's, uh, he's when Samantha hires an assistant who has a lot of attitude and he won't listen to her, and then she goes you know what, you're fired, but we'll fuck now.
Speaker 3: And then on the desk, yes, okay, because I saw that he was on in indeed, just said like Matt or something, and I was like, oh, that's not ringing a bell immediately, so I didn't. I didn't look into it, but I knew you would. Why didn't look into it? I knew from the moment.
Speaker 2: You just knew from his face.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, wow, I did not recognize him as that assistant you our Sex and the City expert. So he's like, why does that doctor care who I slept with? And I'm like, why is everyone acting like it's the seventies. It's two thousand and two. We all know that HIV is not good to spread. Like He's like, why is everybody on my case?
Speaker 2: It's like, you have.
Speaker 1: HIV, sir, you cannot just go around doing whatever you want. And he's like, I didn't even know the doctor was murdered. He says, I wish I could have seen it. And then Benson checks his file, which you know is probably a violation of privacy, and she's like, he's been in the hospital with pneumonia for six days. It wasn't him, And he goes, yes, some slut gave me HIV and didn't give a damn.
Speaker 2: Now I don't give a damn.
Speaker 1: And the law says they can't tell anyone, and then they cuff him to his bed and they're like.
Speaker 3: Wrong, Like you knew you had AIDS, you didn't warn your partners. That's a crime. So this guy's now in trouble. Cabot is on the scene at the precinct and she's like, all right, I'm gonna charge Mario with attempted murder, reckless endangerment, and statutory rape for the underage girls. Didn't even throwing that one in at the last minute. Didn't realize he was also poking up with underage girls. Cab says, you know, yeah, this happened upstate and the health department posted flyers and people just came in to get tested. She's saying that to Benson because Benson's like concerned about, like, how are we going to find out who all these victims are? And then Craigan and Sabler walk in, Uh oh, they found another body in the park. Cut to the press questioning Cragan calling the perp the central park stalker. They want to know if a Cereal is on the loose. Now they're in Central Park. A mounted cop found the body. A mountie, they say, he he shook up. He's like, I've seen dead bodies, but nothing like this. And he says that this area the park doesn't really get a lot of traffic. It's two wooded for dog walkers and joggers. And he goes and then I just saw Mona lying there and they're like, you knew her, and he goes, Yeah, her name's Mona Sidley. I recognized her by her binoculars, not her face. She doesn't really have one anymore. Jesus okay, second old lady found with like a vague resemblance of a face in the park. Melinda found nothing on the body but one foreign hair. There was a similar knife sitch situation wrapped in plastic. We find out later that there was also a poncho. So it seems like the same guy. But Melinda's like, it might not be the same guy. Like Mona was only stabbed six times as opposed to thirty something in the Greta attack. Plus Mona's facial injuries aren't half as bad as what happened to Greta. This time, it was a broken bottle used in the sexual attack instead of a tree branch. It's really like, and Melinda's not sure it's the same guy.
Speaker 2: And I don't know.
Speaker 3: Why we questioned Melinda, but you know, she's like, I don't know. The moos just seems so different. So now we're talking to the CSU tech with no name. The guy playing him his named Manny Perez. He's been in three other episodes of SVU, and he says it's the same guy, no doubt. First off, another yellow poncho, another knife with the plastic around the handle, same tread found at the scene, matched to a size ten hiking boot. And he's got soil samples from Greta's regular jogging area, samples from where her body was found, and from where Mona's body was found. And he's like, when you find the shoes, they're gonna match all these three samples.
Speaker 2: I'm guaranteeing you.
Speaker 3: So then Finn tells Benson, I think it's definitely the same guy, and Benson's like, well, but why would the guy be losing passion about in his crimes when normally serial killers they escalate, like their crimes get worse and worse and they're like, maybe he got interrupted, maybe he's gotten more self control with experience. But his post murder behavior is different as well, Like he hid Greta, but not Mona. He left her out in the open. Maybe there's a connect between these victims. Mona lived alone, was never married, she was a retired bookkeeper. So then they remember that gret In Greta's calendar, they saw she had a standing lunch with her friend Bonnie Vernon, so they go have a chat with her and they're like, they're like, did Greta have any bird watcher friends? Because I guess you know, Mona's got the binocular, she's a bird watcher. And Bonnie's like no, and she would have told me something like that, which is hilarious, like the first thing you catch up with.
Speaker 2: Oh, by the way, you know, I have a bird watcher friend now.
Speaker 3: But it turns out they were college roommates at Radcliffe and she met Arthur at Harvard. Her family did not approve of the marriage because she came from old money and they didn't think Arthur was good enough for her, and the friend goes he practiced tennis more than law, but as a couple they were perfect no affairs. Arthur is so old fashioned. I doubt he even looks at other women. But a few months earlier, she remembers, Greta asked her to run a credit report on a man, but didn't say why, but she knows it had to be personal, because otherwise she would have just used her city investigators that she has access to through the health department. And the guy's name was Vartan Dadian. There we go, there we go, Vartan. She remembers, thinking, Oh, my friend has an Armenian admirer. Okay, so now we're onto the trade tracking down of Vartan Dadian.
Speaker 1: I gotta know why someone put that name in like that? Is that's a good Neil question? Be like Neil, what is that an anagram of? I'm sure it's like some old star that he loves. But he says, no, if she maybe him, maybe we can email him, Oh yeah, him before to ask him other questions. Yeah, you gotta ask him because I am so curious.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So now they're talking to Arthur and he's like, are you implying that she was having an affair?
Speaker 2: And he's like that's impossible.
Speaker 1: And then they're like, well, how did she seem lately, and he's like, not really herself.
Speaker 3: She seemed preoccupied. Sometimes she worked all night and didn't come home. She said she had to trace at night, and like bars and clubs were a big part of her contact tracing. So and then they asked him about Vartan Dadian, like any any ring, any bells, and he's like no, And if she had a boyfriend, I don't think I would know his name, she said. He goes, I thought we had the perfect marriage. Okay, there's no such thing. And then Cabot subpoenut financials for Vartan. He lives on the Upper East Side, he's got a pension, everything's pretty standard. Rent goes out small expenses, but he's got plenty of cash in another bank account opened last year and for the past year twenty a month has been going in to that account from Greta's personal account. And then charges. We're talking four star hotels, top restaurants, but also Gold Coast Models, okay, escorts, baby, So now we're at Gold Coast Models and there's a very SVU receptionist there. She's kind of dorky looking, and she whines. She's like, we don't take walk ins then she gets a call and she has a perfect sexy voice.
Speaker 2: She's like, thank you for calling Gold Coast Models. This is angel Like she fully changes her voice. It's very funny.
Speaker 3: And then she tries to stop Finn Munch from going in, but it's like, duh, you can't stop the cops. And then she's like Darla, like the cops are headed your way.
Speaker 2: So the boss.
Speaker 3: Darla's like, come on in, I've got nothing to hide. And they're like, who sees Dartan whatever?
Speaker 1: Vartan Dadian and they're like, she goes, oh, miss Kitty sees Dadian on a daily basis, and they're like where is she? Yeah, yeah, and she goes, well, she retired because he promised that he'd support her buy her a condo, but guess she's still waiting for her payday. So she works the bar at the Broadway Terrace Hotel. So they go find her there drinking a huge Cosmo and she's like, I last saw Vartan two nights ago. We went to dinner, then we went upstairs to the hotel suite, but he didn't have the funds for a sleepover, so she went home and he stayed to sleep And now they're at the apartment of our Tan Dadian and they're talking to this older man who seems very confused. He's like, SVU, what are you doing in my house? And he's like, I'm not I'm not seeing anybody right now. And they're like, what about miss Kitty and he goes, now, I know you have the wrong guy.
Speaker 2: I'm not really interested in pussycats. I'm obsessed.
Speaker 3: So this is a gay man who does not use an escort service, and he has never heard of Gold Coast Models. And he's like, my bank account is not at that bank, and I haven't had any problems with credit card or ID THEFS, but I'll call my bank in the morning. And then they ask them about Greta and he's like, oh, yeah, I read about her in the papers, But how is my name involved in this? And they're like it's a misunderst But just as they go to leave, Stabler goes, oh, did you go to Harvard. They don't really say how he gets this idea. I guess he clocks like an alumni magazine or something on the table and he's like, yeah, I did Harvard and sixty Harvard class of sixty one.
Speaker 2: Hmm.
Speaker 3: Interesting So now back to talking to miss Kitty and they've got her at the precinct and she's like, yeah, we always met at five star restaurants.
Speaker 2: Bartan had very good taste. And they're like, well, where'd you go?
Speaker 3: Two nights to go and she says, shy Marco nine o'clock, want to know what I ate? And Finn goes, I'm not touching that one. And you know, it's season four.
Speaker 1: We're hot on the puns and the double entendre, and she says that night he was his usual charming self.
Speaker 2: And then Benson.
Speaker 1: Pulls Munch out and is like, you know what, we got too many Harvard guys in the mix here. I need you to give this photo a ray to Kitty and have her pick out her playmate. So then Munch does that and she picks out Done Done, Arthur Esterman. She goes, that's my Vartan.
Speaker 3: So this fucking sad widow has been plaguing the entire episode, and well, the night, yes, we were all buying it unless you subscribe to the rule that like they're not really going to bring in sort of a recognizable actor just for him to be like a sidecarre, you know, he's they're usually going to get something bigger.
Speaker 1: Maybe he had aids in the end and he was yeah, yeah, ste fire, or it was like she had the you know there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I can't think of another example at the moment, but but it's true. He was setting her good job, like he was setting it up to look like she had an affair. Not only did he throw the next to sky at us, but he threw the fact well, yeah, she wasn't coming home a lot lately. I guess bars and clubs were part of her work, like totally trying to make it seem like she was having an affair. Like this guy was trying all the pulling out all the stops. So the gang is all talking about it and they're like, wow, the night of this guy's that this guy's wife's body is found, he went and saw Miss Kitty Andy booked another date for right after the funeral. He either killed her because she found out that he was draining the bank account or because he was a new life with Miss Kitty and Finn's like it's both. Greta was just at the bank last week asking questions about these wire transfers, and all the transfers were authorized by him, not her, And Craigan's like, well, why would like an HIV doctor be okay with her husband like seeing sex workers? And they're like, well, she didn't have that much time to confront him. She only went into the bank on Friday to ask about the money and she was found dead on Monday, so I guess probably an awkward weekend. But you know, only a little bit of time has she even had this knowledge, and it's still circumstantial. They say they need hard evidence. Miss Kitty's ID though, is enough for a search warrant. So now they're at the Estrument home and they're searching, and they're finding evidence of these big cash transfers to Bartan and they're like, he probably killed his wife and then killed Mona to make it look like it was a serial killer. Yet another thing he's throwing at the cops. So then he comes home, he's, you know, shock and awe, you think I killed my wife? Then munch fine, the boots house down, boots. His boots are dirty, okay, and he has no excuse. He's like, I love my wife, and Benson's like more than Miss Kitty, and he's like who And Benson's like.
Speaker 3: Save it Vartan and when she says that he's got that face on, that's like okay, fuck, they've got me. So back to the unnamed CSU tech who is confirming the shist found in the Central Park boots. He got a pollontologist to confirm the other sample. All this science shit that neither Finn nor I am interested in. But the boots that these boots.
Speaker 1: That they found in his house were near the body, and like the science seems so crazy, like you can actually say what they were near the body, like they're that specific the soil, But according to the sky, that's what a pollontologist does. And the footprints match the boots as well. So now they've got Arthur in interrogation and he's like it's a coincidence. The boots are very popular and the dirt he can explain he went to lay flowers at the grave and say a prayer for her, his wife and miss Sidley, and he tells them it's a waste of time.
Speaker 2: I loved my wife, Like, you guys are wrong.
Speaker 3: They're like interesting because you know, fake name, secret accounts, call girls. This doesn't really feel like love. And he's like, I did that out of respect.
Speaker 2: For Greta.
Speaker 3: And this like reminds me of when I literally almost got kicked out of my smoking my non smoking dorm for having an ashtray full of cigarette butts, and I told them that I would just bring cigarette butts from inside and put them in the ashtray, because like I was a good Smaritan. Like this is what the vibe is that this guy's trying to pull off. He's like, no, no, I did that for her, Like that was a respect for her. He says, after menopause, Greta lost interest in sex, but I didn't, and she was down with me being with other partners. I just had to be discreet, which is why I use the fake name. Benson is very skeptical that this literal HIV contact tracer was down with her husband having high risk sexual activity. And he's like, listen, we were married for forty years. Other kinds of fidelity matter more.
Speaker 1: And they're like, okay, we'll give us a DNA sample and he's like, why does that help. My DNA would be on my way anyway. And they're like, well, what about Mona. We found a hair and we can get a court order.
Speaker 3: And he's trying to call their bluff because he is a lawyer, right, he might be more of a tennis player, but he does have a law degree. And he's like, there's no connection to Mona. You guys have nothing. He makes an analogy like about JFK and MLK being shot with the same kind of weapon, Like, what you're suggesting is that Lee Harvey Oswald killed both of them.
Speaker 2: No judge is going to sign off on.
Speaker 3: A blood order for you guys, And he's very smug and grinning, and Benson looks grossed out. So behind the one way glass, unfortunately, Cabot is confirming he's right, like we don't have enough to force a sample and they can't connect him to Mona Sidley in any other way. So Benson's like, no blood sample, no case. And then Stabler pulls up the old article they found earlier about all the charities and the galas and the blood donation and is like, what about the blood he donated at this gala? Which is crazy because it's like they still have it, Like, I don't know. This is just a wild turn of sview events as usual. So now Arthur is in Petrowski's chambers with Cat and he's arguing if you allow this, then anyone who gives blood can have their rights trampled on. And Cabot argues that the blood bank chose not to contest their subpoena, he has no standing, And he's like, what about my privacy?
Speaker 2: I donated?
Speaker 3: But they're like, you donated the blood knowing it would be tested, And Petrovsky is like, kind of buying this and Arthur is like yeah. And Arthur's like, she's using my philanthropic activities to justify an end run around the judicial system. And Cabot says, I couldn't get a sample from him, but nothing in the law bars me from testing what he gave away freely, and Petrovsky agrees, but she limits the scope. You can only do the same tests that any blood bank would do on the blood, like blood type. You know, you can test for HIV and other kind of blood disorders, but don't They don't test for DNA.
Speaker 2: They don't test your DNA.
Speaker 1: So Melinda tells them that Esterman is blood type AB, he's free of any diseases, and the blood came back positive for viagra and ecstasy, which is used to enhance sexual encounters. Melinda explains and they're like, the amount that they found in his system, he would have had a two week hard on.
Speaker 2: That's what the CSU tech says.
Speaker 3: So I don't know. So far, we've talked him a few times. I haven't noticed a heart on. But Benson and Stable are walking and talking. They're like this, he's not gonna talk.
Speaker 2: Like what are we going to do?
Speaker 3: And then they're like, well, he is on ecstasy and you know viagra, Like, well he's on ecstasy, and people do tell their drug dealer stuff.
Speaker 2: Let's dump his phones. So then they dump his phones.
Speaker 3: They literally set up a sting with Finn in a convertible to buy ecstasy in broad daylight from this guy who hands him the ecstasy and is like you're gonna need two women, and then Finn's like, that's what my man Vartan told me. And then the dealer is immediately sketched out like dude, we don't use names, and he starts to leave, but Munch grabs him and they bring this like drug dealer like and they're like, we want the scoop on Bartan and they're like, he goes he's got a love shock on East ninety second Street and he just opped off.
Speaker 2: Some e there a few hours ago.
Speaker 1: So hours, yes, so he is hopefully currently at the love shack. They bust in on Family Ties Dad banging Miss Kitty and it uses a pretty graphic sex. I yes, it's like horned up. It's pretty crazy watching this Family Ties Dad really get at us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's two. It's like his full naked back hurt.
Speaker 1: She's like fully naked from the way stuff like you you're seeing like like humping and bumping.
Speaker 3: It's really it's a lot for SVU. You don't usually see that. Usually just hear noises and then people stop when you burst in. So he immediately jumps into lawyer mode and is like, well, you just violated the search warrant by not knocking. And they're like, well we heard a woman in distress.
Speaker 1: We heard moaning, and then they're like are you all right, miss and Miss Kitty is defending him like he didn't do anything, he would never murder anyone. And then Benson finds, I mean just sitting out on the table, miss Kitty, like open your eyes, sitting right out on the table is a one way ticket to prison. Ills and Benson's like, uh oh, miss Kitty looks like you're not going with and Kitty's like finally understands what's up. And then they're like, did you use a condom tonight? And she goes, no, I trusted the bastard. And so you get an idea of how they're gonna get Arthur's DNA.
Speaker 2: So back at the precinct, they confront Arthur.
Speaker 1: They're like, well, we got the DNA that you deposited in miss Kitty, and he goes, you'll find it's a match to the DNA I left on poor Mona Sidley. And it's like, wait, what You've done so many like smart chess moves and you're just giving it all up now, Like you don't even know that the hair was exclusive, Like you know what I mean, Like they told you all they found was a hair and that could totally not have had a bulb on the end of it, you know what I mean. Like it's possible they didn't get the DNA from the hair, and I just don't buy that, but whatever, I know, the story does have to wrap up. And he says, yes, I'm sorry she had to die talking about Mona and they're like, is that a confession? And then he like looks to Stabler and he it's like, do you know what it's like to grow old?
Speaker 2: Detective?
Speaker 3: We were together forty years when she just stopped liking sex. That's how I found Kitty, and when I couldn't keep up, the viagra and the ecstasy made me feel like I was sixteen again. But Greta found out from the bank. She confronted me.
Speaker 1: I told her everything, begged her to try the ecstasy and rekindle our love.
Speaker 2: But Greta was not down. She looked at him like he was an animal, and she wanted to pull the money. So you killed her.
Speaker 1: And he says to Benson, beautiful women like you wouldn't even look at me if I wasn't rich, And then he says to Stabler, what are you going to do when your wife turns you away? And he's like, you'll do just what I did. And Stabler's like, yeah, I doubt it. Like you killed a stranger, you mutilated your wife. Nothing justifies that.
Speaker 3: And he was like, I was alive for the first time in years, and Greta tried to take it away.
Speaker 2: I had to stop her. And that's dick wolf baby, and.
Speaker 3: It's so it's just wild because it's like you could have also just killed her, Like you killed her so violently, you know, like a simple stabbing would have done it, or a gun or whatever, like there are poison, there's a million ways you can do it. You literally made it so that her face had to be reconstructed like wild like. So this guy had some anger at him at the idea of having his sex life taken away basically.
Speaker 2: Or even just getting a job.
Speaker 6: It seemed like, really you could go back to practicing laws or yeah, like you can work. So that was that was an interesting moment as well, and a lot of similarities, a lot of similarities.
Speaker 2: So we'll dive.
Speaker 1: Right into these cases of these killers. All right, So the first okay, I'll just set the scene.
Speaker 2: So it's Halloween morning, nineteen ninety nine.
Speaker 1: Mabel Grenader and people call her May was savagely murdered on a wooden wooded trail in Wesley, Massachusetts.
Speaker 3: Wellesley. I have a lot of friends from this Ay from Wellesley.
Speaker 1: And so she and her husband Dirk which is not a real name, but her Grenader. He was a doctor and allergist and if you're interested, he mostly focused on childhood asthma. I threw that in because you have asthma, So yes, there way and of course, baby Noah, we've got a yeah, yeah, huge, hugely popular.
Speaker 2: And so whatever.
Speaker 1: So the two of them, they went to take their dog out for a walk around this pond.
Speaker 2: And they've been married for thirty years.
Speaker 1: She worked for him as a nurse and was, you know, pursuing an advanced degree in healthcare.
Speaker 2: And they met.
Speaker 1: They raised three children and lived in Wellesley this whole time, and they were known by neighbors and friends as like very close, devoted to each other, and they walked these German shepherds every day, like they always had dogs, and they're walking them. He calls nine one one from his cell phone. He said he left his wife to rest and he kept going because she was having a back pain. But he wanted to get his dogs some exercise, so they split up, and when he returned, he found her lifeless body bludgeoned and stabbed. So they were separated for like ten minutes, and he claims he returned and found her there. It was gruesome, like she was nearly decapitated, stabbed in the chest and her skull was smashed with a hammer, and her throat was slit and police found yeah, gruesome, gruesome, And police found gloves, a hammer, a pocket knife believed to be used in the murder in a nearby storm drain with DNA evidence. There was DNA found on the knife and gloves used in the killing, and all the items had is blood on them. And obviously the husband's a suspect. But he's like, no, it's a thrill kill. There's it's a thrill kill. And it's like, no, you're the number one suspect. Actually, a thrill kill is not even a thing. And like his kids kept being like, it's a thrill killer and it's like, what are you talking about? But yeah, his children are all but it's not even a thing. It's not like it's your own family lingo. No one uh, no, one talks about this thrill I mean, I think a thrill killer is like Bundy. Bundy was like a thrill killer. Yeah, but like he made it seem like it was a string of thrill kills that it was like someone was doing it, and they found the perfect moment in the ten minutes that he walked with the dog.
Speaker 2: It's just like impossible.
Speaker 1: But even with Ted Bundy, you would you would be like a serial killer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you'd be, you would.
Speaker 1: I just don't hear people going my wife was killed by a thrill killer, Like, it's just not really a thing. Whether then in an analysis, we you know they do it for the joy of the game or whatnot.
Speaker 2: But I just it's suspicious to me.
Speaker 1: And the investigation of this case, which the University of Chicago Press called meticulous, was led by Marty Foley, which doesn't sound like a professional name from the state police. And of course when this comes out, the town of shocks, right, this is a prominent physician, a family man, but guess what living a double life.
Speaker 2: He loved sex.
Speaker 1: Workers, porn and trists from the internet, just like the episode Dirk claimed that they were having intimacy issues and she wouldn't deal with them. He used a fake name Thomas Young, not as you know, silly as Dartam or whatever. And then he was downloading porn, huge phone sex bills. He was meeting with sex workers in hotels and his home office. Police actually found that he contacted a sex worker a day after his wife's murder and the debut, So yeah, before and after the murder, he was in those streets and they thought that he killed his wife in order to be more free out in the streets. He was arrested mid November ninety nine, and the courtroom, I guess, was like very dramatic, and it was like air on court TV, and it was just like air nationally and there's a lot of spectacles. I saw no other follow up to that little claim, So I don't know if that was to sell a book or what, but like, there was nothing wild that I came.
Speaker 3: I almost surprised I didn't hear about this because like I went to college. I was in college in nineteen ninety nine with a ton of people from this area, from Wellesley, and it's like only a couple hours from where I went to college.
Speaker 2: So I'm really surprised.
Speaker 3: I guess I wasn't like as on the internet in college, you know, just reading about stories and crimes.
Speaker 2: So I guess that makes sense.
Speaker 1: I also want to say that like that part of the country, it seems like have lots of secret family is, lots of lies, lots of corruption.
Speaker 2: Yes, so maybe it didn't come up.
Speaker 1: But over the course of the trial, the prosecution described how Dirk had set up a phone company and used it to apply for a corporate credit card under his alias Thomas Young. You know, they talked about all his group sex and how frequent it had gotten, and his behavior was obsessive. In the week before his wife's murder and those seven days, he contacted several prostitutes, had sex with at least one, and was spending more than four hours a day on internet porn sites. And this is an addition to keeping up with his demanding ass job. You know, if he wanted to, he would, And it's not like May didn't know.
Speaker 2: She was like, what's going on? You know.
Speaker 1: The witnesses said that she was getting insecure in the marriage and started buying new clothes. Working out was like thinking about getting a facelift. Prosecution spun it that she probably got close to figuring it out or already did, and he wanted her out of the way, or like if it did get out, how it affect his career and relationship with his children. The prosecution also stressed that when witnesses placed this guy in the moments after the murder, emerging from the area where the murder weapons were found, not like heading in the most likely place to get help, which is the main road. So if like you find a crazy murderer, you would like go to a populated area and not come out of the woods. They also said that he delayed making the nine to one one call, and also after like thirty to forty minutes of making the call, police said that he asked, is she dead? And am I going to be arrested? So I don't know, but you know, Miranda writes, don't say anything, but or I don't know.
Speaker 2: Why would you ask if you're going to be arrested? Yeah? Isn't it a thrill killer?
Speaker 1: So they focus on also why the doctor had no blood on his hands, because he testified he tried to pick up his wife's battered body and found and like find a pulse in her neck. He is a fucking doctor And this is according to the New York Times, So like, why wouldn't you be covered in her blood? Yeah, So the defense of that, the cops ignored that there was two other crimes unsolved involving the killing of elderly people in nearby recreation areas within the previous year, and that's according to the Cape Cod Times. All right, so what he did have, like he didn't have evidence, really, but he had testimony he had a lot of support from friends and family and his three children. The case did put a divide in the family, so you know, both Dirk and Mabel's relatives were aiding an investigation. The victim's sister, Elsa Stark and her daughter Belinda Markle both testified against him, and in the Boston Harald, Lol, they called him a sex obsessed wife slayer. And that's like, I don't know, a cool Halloween costume, I guess, yer, I guess A lot of the evidence was circumstantial, and I do see that. And they had a classic SVU that like the plastic zipper bags near her b were the same ones found in their home.
Speaker 2: But you know, yeah, you can't really do that.
Speaker 1: But it was a six week trial, four days of deliberations with the jury, and on June twenty ninth, two thousand and one, he was found guilty at sixty years old, a first degree murder and sentenced to life without the possibility of parole. Stark thinked the jury and did not look at Grainander at all. And then also there was, like I guess, some sort of loophole in the Massachusetts law, so that even though he was found guilty for murdering his wife, he was still the executor of her state estate. WHOA yeah, Stark had to fight to stop him from being entitled to selling her property, investing and distributing assets all from his cell. He sold their big family home for four hundred K and then like sold it to his youngest daughter's boyfriend for a dollar. I don't know how that works. That's actually confusing to me, because what do you mean he sold it and then was able to sell it.
Speaker 3: To maybe the house was worth four hundred k and that's what he saw to the daughter's boyfriend for I don't know.
Speaker 2: That's crazy. And he planned for this.
Speaker 1: So he applied to the Norfolk Probate Court to be appointed the ex executor of her estate just two months after her death, and the application was approved on February seventh, two thousand, three weeks before he was indicted on a charge of murder. So and she had and she also had a will that was signed months before her death that her husband would inherit everything, but then being convicted it did disinherit him in the state law. But then like the application to this state without the will was like approved.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I don't know what's.
Speaker 1: Going on in Wellesley, but he wasn't part of her inheritance, but he was part of like whatever application he did to be her state person. Yeah, I don't really know, but either way, it's like fucked up. The house was torn down in twenty sixteen, and the last purchase of the house was in two thousand and two for six hundred and fifty five thousand. According to Zillo, I don't know, but basically, he had a lot of ducks in a row. He was able to do shit with her estate, and like her sister was trying to get it back, and that just like doesn't seem like an innocent man to me, you know, Yeah, yeah, but I understand he wants things for his children, but I doubt that the aunt was trying to fuck over her sister's children, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: He doesn't think he committed the crime.
Speaker 1: He's like, I cooperated with cops, but they were only focused on me. He believes that the whole trial was all about him being involved with sex workers and that it's not fair. He says he loved his wife and still does and that the cheating is what made the jury convict him. The kids still support him and maintain their father's innocence even decades later. There's a quote from the daughter Brittany, my mother was a fighter. She would have told us to continue to stand up, continue to speak the truth, because what other choice do we have. But it's like, I don't know, it's worse. I like, your mom's dead and watching you defund her killer, but it is your dad. Nonetheless, he's in his eighties. He's in a medium security prison in Norfolk. Every pro orle board like he's been denied parole tons of times, and there's just like so many articles about him trying to get out of prison. But basically, parole boards look for people that have taken responsibility for their crimes, accepted it, and like want to move forward, and he refuses to do that. He does not take responsibility. The verdict has been upheld at every level of appellet review. And yeah, and if you want to know more, it seems like this book is cool. A murder in Wellesley and it seems intense. Yeah, so you can do it, okay, And then there's one more so. The next case is the Craig Rabinowitz case. And you know, a tale as old as time same thing. Family friends, neighbors are like, oh my god, Craig and Stephanie Rabinowitz are like the perfect couple. They had a baby daughter, Haley, dream home and an upscale They keep saying Mainline neighborhood of Mary in Pennsylvania, and.
Speaker 3: So that's like main Line is like a collection of these might have a lot of friends that are from the main Line.
Speaker 2: It's like a collection of Philly suburbs.
Speaker 1: And she was an attorney and he had a latex products business. They met when she was Okay, so they met you. This is so they met when she was a counselor in training and he was a counselor at summer camp and she was sixteen and doing the math from the ages of the time of the crime. He was twenty. So that's just something to kind of think about. But she was a National Merit scholar who went to Brindmar and then Temple University for law school. He did not complete his degree from Temple, and the Washington Post is trying to shade him for sure, like I think every but like no one.
Speaker 2: Was like, oh, he's uneducated.
Speaker 1: It wasn't like her family didn't think he was good enough, like everyone liked Craig.
Speaker 2: He was a really lover and yeah, everyone was on top of it.
Speaker 1: She was on her way to have what she thought was a perfect life for herself, you know, family, great job, a loving husband. And on April thirtieth, nineteen ninety seven, shortly after midnight, Craig called police to report that he had found his wife's lifeless body in the bathtub. She was twenty nine, he was thirty three. And for days loved ones grieved with him. You know, it appeared to be an accidental death. But then, as the Washington Post puts it, grief changed to disbelief after an autopsy showed that Stephanie had not hit her head and drowned like suspected, but had been strangled.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: And there was also physical evidence that showed that she had bruises on her side and was maybe killed somewhere else and then drags upstairs to the tub. So May fifth, right after his wife's funeral, Craig was arrested and charged with the murder. He was dubbed the mainline murderer by the local news. And he had a secret life and it was all front page news. He had huge debts, his company was fake, not real. He fooled everyone on all accounts, Like all family and friends believed his business was legit selling gloves and other Latex products out of his home, but prosecutors say there's no evidence he conducted any real business. The couple apparently was living on Stephanie's salary, which was like thirty three thousand dollars as a part time lawyer in a Philadelphia law firm. Yeah, everyone kept like, and this amazing job, and it's like, I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Money was tight, and.
Speaker 1: They bought a two hundred and thirty thousand dollars home and took out two additional mortgages, borrowing a total of like three hundred thousand, five hundred and like loans from friends totaling ten grand. The couple took out a one point five million dollar insurance policy on Stephanie, naming her husband the beneficiary, just weeks before her death, And like, so, what was going on? What was all these debts and money and everything? While he was spending all on a stripper named Summer aka Shannon Reinhardt, who danced at a downtown Philly club, Delilah's Den. Nobody knew this, but he was spending thousands a week. And when you think that she's only making thirty three grand, that's.
Speaker 2: Like what.
Speaker 1: He was giving her money, gifts, furniture, health club memberships. He'd been seeing her regularly for about a year, and he spent almost twenty nine grand visiting Delilah's den Gez Shannon, though, said their relationship was only professional and I believe it, well, I don't know. I mean, maybe she's like but I kind of like believe that he was de Lulu. You know, it's like the bombshell. It's like her job is getting money from you, Like I don't and this wasn't. And what's shocking is none of this was new. Court documents revealed he was caught in a Philadelphia prostitution ring investigation several years prior, and received immunity from prosecution for his testimony in March nineteen ninety three. Wow, so everyone is stuned and at first her parents ann In Lois Lewis Louis. At first her parents the Newman's stood behind him and were down to post collateral for his bail, and then they were crushed with this news that he like pawned his wife's jewelry for this stripper and also pawned her engagement ring within days of her death, according to their attorney, Neil Epstein's The Washington Post. So like, I don't know, maybe your daughter Hayley would have wanted that ring. Yeah, And people close to her don't think she knew or like would tolerate and something like this. And the parent, the parents, to their very core, according to the lawyer, were like, absolutely, she did not know this. And that's in the Washington Post. So then he was like in this crossroads, right, he was in all this debt, all this stuff. So it's like, Okay, confess your double life and debt to everyone you know, or murder your wife and collect life insurance money.
Speaker 2: And that's what he decided to do.
Speaker 1: He was like, Oh, I'm gonna kill the mother of my child and then I'm gonna continue living a life with this stripper.
Speaker 2: Like what are you talking about? Out?
Speaker 1: Like Jesus, he this motherfucker strangled his wife, set up a murder scene while his daughter's at home. Like the daughter's sleeping in her home as you're strangling her mom. Like and instead of just being like, yo, I'm in debt and I'm a piece of shit like I can't.
Speaker 2: I just don't understand.
Speaker 1: And this guy also had a suitcase packed thousands in cash ready to flee after his wife's funeral. The grandparents obviously took the one year old daughter, who turned one the day of her mother's memorial service. Oh my god. And it's just he's disgusting. And the law firm Stephanie worked that established a trust for Haley, so someone is thinking about her future, pawning the engagement ring after she's set. After you kill, I mean, it is like, I mean, the murder is bad enough, but it's just like, yeah, what a fucking slimeball. His attorneys were trying to investigate leads of a strange man knocking on neighbors doors, and yeah, they're like, go fuck yourself. They're like, no, they were the only there was no sign of fourth century at all. But while sobbing, he did plead guilty, thank fucking God, to charges of first degree murder, theft by deception, and deceptive business practices. He did this, he says, according to The New York Times, to spare his family the pain of a trial. He was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole. And kind of wild. So like The New York Times reported about his sentence and guilty conviction on October thirty first, nineteen ninety seven. So like two cases to Halloween, sucky, very spooky. But even though you know he was claiming someone enter the home or whatever, he finally admitted it.
Speaker 2: He told Judge Samuel W.
Speaker 1: Sallis, two D of Montgomery County Court that he decided to enter the plea after three dead loved ones. His wife, father in law, and father visited him in a dream that he had, and they put their hands on his hand and said, crag, it's time for you to do what's right. It's time for you to do the right thing. And that's he's That's why I wish, gosh.
Speaker 3: An angel had come to you in your dream and told you not to murder your fucking innocent wife. I know, just because you love you love strippers, Jesus Christ. Couple of scumbags. Oh my gosh, what an episode.
Speaker 2: Thank you for telling me about those crimes.
Speaker 3: I had never heard of either of those, and both from not very far from where I.
Speaker 2: Grew up and was at the time that they happened.
Speaker 3: Interesting and no guests today, So let's move right onto our post mortem of today's episode.
Speaker 1: It's a good episode totally. It's the Bartan episode, the random bar Dan. I love seeing an old, beloved man from a family sitcom be evil. That's fun too.
Speaker 3: I mean this episode is like classic, like also just misogyny. This man has just like been second fiddle to his wife his whole life, and then he's like, I just want to fuck, let me fuck. She's trying to stop me from fucking, and so she's just like I'm gonna kill her, like it's so, and then he kills another woman just to cover up his crime. That poor innocent mona, like I mean, a truly a truly.
Speaker 1: Evil chilling people can snap at any moment. Oh, how about this not related to this episode, the Terogram chat or whatever that has seventy thousand men talking about how to rape their wives and girlfriends and stuff, fucking chilling. This guy's in that group probably, and I don't know the real life crimes.
Speaker 2: It's like I want to say, Wow.
Speaker 1: I can't believe that like a story like that happened, and then it jumps right into a TV script.
Speaker 2: It's like, no, it happens all time.
Speaker 3: Men are just killing their wives out there, like, uh, it's nightmare town. But I guess what we learned is, yeah, even if you meet your husband at Harvard, be careful because you might be more successful than him and it's going to lead to your downfall.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Just there was a clip in my algorithm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like if women make more they there's more likely chance of divorce. And she'd like, they just get pissed. If you get promoted, your chances of divorce go up. It's like these dudes. Honestly, I gotten to not a tiff online, but it was this thing of like, you know, men will talk about their issues and be like, well we're doing this and that it's like, well, yeah, be more like women. Like the solution to men's problems is to be more like women, and they refuse and they want to they also want women to solve their problems. Yet don't trust us in any capacity or listen in any way. But it's like, yeah, just like, be chill and be like a woman and be more like us, and then maybe you won't all be lonely and dying alone.
Speaker 2: I don't know what to tell you.
Speaker 3: Literally, the plot of Mowana, like the plot of Mowana is that she handles it like the way a woman would handle it rather than fighting and like you know, muscles and magic and whatever.
Speaker 2: So anyway, just.
Speaker 3: You know, gotta give a shit always always goes back to Mawana. But like, yeah, no one will listen to her. She's just a girl, she's a prince at whatever. Like no one will listen to her. And then she's fucking the one that that does it. But yeah, it's so true. That's why I was like, not to bring it back with a new year. We're gonna be positive. But like I was like, let's just give a woman president a shot. Let's just see what fucking happens. We've done it the same way forty seven times. Let's try it a different way, and no one will. They just they don't see us as people. They don't respect us. They've shown it time and time again. I don't know what the game is. And now they're pissed. Now oh oh the banging. There's banging my radiator as people are online are calling it the sword fighting. People think it sounds like there's a sword fight.
Speaker 1: Now that's all I'm gonna think about on guard. Oh yeah, and now and now that women have like the power to be like no, we're just gonna work, or in South Korea like yeah, we're just not gonna get like get away from us. Now they're like, well, then you're not gonna be able to get divorced, and we're you're gonna give birth whenever we want you to, like, and you're not gonna go to school. And I was seeing this thing of like any time like something becomes more for women than it becomes devalued. So now that more women are in college, now like uh, no one needs college. You don't need to college anymore. Yeah, And I was like that's so interesting. It's like they I don't know. I don't know, because then they bring us their issues of like well then we're at war and then we're depressed and we're this and it's all on us, and it's like, oh, yeah, if you if you just like act different and let women lead, maybe things will change.
Speaker 2: But they can't. They can't. Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's like and it's also like in the aftermath of this, like Giselle pellicoat, this woman in France has become like a woman's like you know, she's become like this iconic figure of like resilience and strength and survivorship and the not all mening that's happening, Like all in the comments, it's like men won't even.
Speaker 1: Post about it. Men won't even post about it. If it's not all men, then why aren't you horrified? Like why aren't you horrified? You're singing, I can't believe men are doing it. It's like when it's like the same as cops. It's like no, no, no, no, you all know what's happening. You see it all the time, and now this huge thing, and I don't think there's one man that posted it in my whole algorithm.
Speaker 2: I know, I'm trying to think if I saw and.
Speaker 1: Maybe a gay here or there, but like I really, I have not seen any one post about it that's not a woman.
Speaker 3: And we can't even it's we don't have enough time, but we can't like maybe next week we get into Baldoni Lively.
Speaker 2: Are you following any of that? I am, but I just am exhausted. It's fine.
Speaker 3: I don't know, Like I literally I was on this other podcasts like months ago before this all came out, going, are they making up all of this drama between the stars so that the movie does well, and then the movie did so well, and I was like, this feels like a marketing thing. It feels like almost like the spitting thing that happened with Don't Worry Darling.
Speaker 2: You know. I was like, are they making this up?
Speaker 3: All this drama because the movie did so well and I knew nothing about the book and whatever. But now it's like reading the thing, I think it's possible to not like Blake Lively. And also she has been very mistreated by this man and the people at his production company.
Speaker 2: For me, is like he went alone, like no one was with him. Mm hmmm. Also who is he? Like?
Speaker 1: That's my thing too. It's like I cant believe. Suddenly we're like listening. I've never even heard of this man.
Speaker 3: He's from Jane the Virgin and he literally I'm like, something is a red flag about a guy buying a female written story about domestic violence and going I want to play the abuser.
Speaker 1: That's my I want to buy this movie. I want to buy the rights and I want to make I don't want to be the abuser. Like that's you know, I don't know.
Speaker 3: We interview people all the time on this podcast who are like, oh, I love playing the bad guy. Sure, it's just I don't know. And then this all comes out. It's like, I don't know, I'm getting a weird feeling about him. But let's move on to.
Speaker 1: But the fact that he hired the same prs these bad people is like to smear women. I mean, that's what we said with the Johnny Depp amber Herd Like it's it's had a very bad precedent, and it's gonna make it even harder for victims because men are more worried, that's yeah, more worried about like being with their bros Than protecting women of any kind, like they will never yeah, yeah, yeah, listen, it's disappointing. So I've been my whole break, like I've been going back and forth like penduluming from I'm gonna enjoy it all.
Speaker 2: One day when I'm.
Speaker 1: In like doing hard labor in a factory, when my career has been stripped away, I can remember that these times of relaxation and enjoyment and you know, living my dream.
Speaker 2: So I'm there and then I and then I.
Speaker 1: Spiral about the future and what will it be like starving and cold?
Speaker 3: I don't know, Well, yeah, well, what will they make us. Where are the labor camps? You know, I'm interested in all the details.
Speaker 1: So then so I go from like yes, yes, yes, to oh no, but I think that's ever I'm not being you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think you're being no. Everybody's trying to like be positive.
Speaker 3: It's the new year, but then also like the new year just started with like all these like tragedies and fucking bombings, and.
Speaker 1: But have one man say something to me, I will punch you in your throat, like, honestly, just fucking try me.
Speaker 2: That's where I'm at.
Speaker 3: This is not the year for talking to us men. It's not it. It's not it. You can't We're not allowing it. Let's let's get into what would Sister PEG do our weekly segment where we give you more information about what we talked about in today's episode. And honestly, this week I wanted to direct you, guys. I was inspired by the work of the poor deceased murder victim in SVU, who was doing contact tracing, and so I wanted to point you to this CDC article about contact tracing. I know it came up big in COVID, but this article explains like the history of contact tracing, how it helped eradicate smallpox. I think how it's helped a lot of disease control. And you know this, in these trying times where maha is abounding, I would like us to still listen to science if we can. This article even has an activity section where you can conduct a little disease transmission experiment using baking soda or vinegar.
Speaker 1: Ooh la la, I think I know what I'm doing with my kids after school. So for more info, head over to CDC dot gov. And that link will as always be posted in our show notes and on a in a story that we put up the dat this episode comes out and those are saved forever in our WWSPD highlights on our Instagram page. Thank you so much, and we will be doing baggage. Okay, you're gonna be scared. Season ten, episode eighteen. Thanks so much for listening. Happy New Year, You're all the best. We're pumped to be. I mean, I know you've just been listening, but it feels fresh, it feels fresh, and we're back.
Speaker 2: We're back bi New Year.
Speaker 1: But we keep them getting we keep giving them to you, and that, yeah, I will say that's really cool for us, and if there are, I will say also a little reminder, if there's episodes you want us to do, message us, email us. It's all that info. Message us on our Instagram or whatever. Let us know if there's EPs you want us to do, and collar to everyone that I you know, saw at Bellhouse or at the cellar.
Speaker 2: All you guys are, We're great. Thank you guys for listening. We'll see you next week.
Speaker 1: That's Messed Up as an exactly right production.
Speaker 3: If you have compliments you'd like to give us or episodes you'd like us to cover, shoot us an email it That's messed uppod at gmail dot com.
Speaker 1: Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod and on Twitter at messed Up Pod, and follow us personally at Kara Klank and at glitter Cheese. As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information. Thank you so much to our senior producer Casey O'Brien and our associate producer Christina Chamberlain, and to our mixer John Bradley and our guest booker Patrick Cottner, and to Henry Kaperski for our theme song, and Carly gen Andrews for our artwork. Thank you to our executive producers Georgia hard Start, Karen Kilgareff, Daniel Kramer, and everybody at Exactly Right Media dot dun